Speaker 1: Break May on corks a deep pass to the receiver who just keeps making place here early in training camp. Let's break it all down.
Speaker 2: Welcome everybody to the Patriots training camp cast presented Buying New Balance. We were here after day four where it really kind of felt like and Christian Gonzalez said this, Paul, felt kind of like the first day of camp, a little hot in tensity, seems to be ramping up a little bit, would you.
Speaker 3: Think, Yeah, they ran at a lot of eleven on eleven plays. I thought there were like four sets of plays for Drake May and the regulars on offense in two different periods. So I would agree that humidity was was sky high. Today it did feel a little bit more like training camp.
Speaker 4: We had shells on, so a little bit of thudding, a little bit of one on ones. Was watching the big boys down there during seven on seven, so a little bit more juice today. I thought the first three days Franklin was a little bored. I was like, what, well, you wake me up when we get to you know, the real stuff. And then today I felt it a little bit. He felt that training camp juice just a little more, and.
Speaker 1: We talked to have yesterday on the rap show we did was you know, Drake maybe a little sluol start, just missing some guys early, not a big deal early practice, And almost felt that way today where he missed AJ Brown on a pass. You know, a couple were high and then all of a sudden it seemed to kick in a gear. He hit Kayshan Boody on a deep pass. And you know, before we talk about Drake, let's just talk about Kasehan Boody because we talked so much about him this offseason and this guy has just continued to make place. He's been the best receiver in camping and every day, including today, he just continues to make plays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would agree with that. I think he's been the best receiver in camp so far. Now we'll see you on SAJ Brown gets on the same page with Drake may a little bit more. But just in terms of what we're watching. Two long touchdowns today. One of them looked like a bus, but one of them ran right by Kevin Byron made a tough over the shoulder catch like we've seen him make a million times in games. And you just keep seeing him open all the time. You look up and Kaishan Boody's making a play down the field, even caught one from de Vedo today in the whole shot, so it was another really good day from him. And I agree with your Drake May assessment. Maybe a little slow to start, but I thought the last couple of team periods for Drake May looked like Drake Drake May May.
Speaker 3: I would add to Mario Douglas, to the group of guys that seemed to be showing up every day, a lot of crosses. Today he got the better. I thought of Marcus Jones a couple of times coming across the middle, and that connection seems to be there. We've seen this a lot in the summer with with Douglas, you know, I think he's got fresh legs and he's a hard guy to keep track of. But Booty and Douglas stand out on the positive side. And then we sort of alluded it's been a little bit slower with aj Brown and Romeo Dobbs. You know, I think Evan on Sunday said, you know, maybe a small sea concerned. I think it's still slow with Dobbs. Doesn't seem to be a lot of connections unless they're specifically dialing something up for him, a quick screen off motion or something like that. So I think it's been slower with those guys, but Booty and Douglas, those guys have been productive.
Speaker 1: We've seen a little bit from Brown. I mean, look again, first pass of practice in eleven's Drake goes his way, kind of overshot him a little bit. But you know, to your point, Paul felt similar to me in that kind of the design stuff, the quick game, that's where they're finding aj Brown, but when they're kind of looking a little more Downfield's sound like they're on the same page.
Speaker 3: And I thought Charles Woods did a nice job on him today. You know, Carlton Davis was kind of out of the lineup at times. You know, Christian Gonzalez continues to be you know, virtually every play of full team work he's he's been out there. We got to hear from him after practice. Not surprisingly, he's going to keep all that between himself and the front office, his team in the front office. But I do think that it hasn't necessarily looked smooth. There's been a lot of I tend to be a quarterback apologist under normal circumstances, but certainly Drake May coming off the season that he came off of. I'm going to say some of these passes that look a little off, a little high, I'm going to put on the receiver when the receiver's new, and right now I think Brown's still trying to catch up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was one Brown curl he curled in. Drake May threw it out, you know, he threw it to his outside shoulder. Brown was looking for it on his inside shoulder, and you just wonder what those like is that by week five, weeks six, week seven, we're probably not talking about those little communication things. The other one I thought Elijah Ponder got and Drake May's face really quickly off the snap on a little stunt and that's why that throw was erin. So a couple of things like that, you know, maybe some underneath stuff, but I look at it with AJ Brown. A lot of the things that we're seeing are, well, where's your landmark on this play? Like where are you going to be on that one? You know, where's where are you going to break the route off? And you know things like that. That type of stuff. That's what this time of year is about. They'll get that all ironed out. I'm not really super concerned about that yet.
Speaker 1: Just two more player observations for me. Just trade on Henderson. Anytime you get the guy the ball in space. He is just an absolute missile. I love watching him run up the sidelines. I'm broken plays. But the guy that I'm you know, encouraged by and it hasn't and I mentioned him earlier this week, is Eli Meritan, who you know showing up with a couple catches here. I know it's been a little bit slow with him. It's a big need for the team though, and seeing him start to you know, today we soon settling the zone, kind of finding those crease. I think it's a good sign. You used to see him start to catch some balls.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna throw Tanner Arkin in that group. I continue to see him out there early in these team periods. You know, they opened up a lot of those team periods with running plays. He's on the field, so I think they have a role carved out for him in their minds. I think it's his to win. You know, there's a long way to go. We're obviously just underway here. Pads haven't even come on. But there's a need obviously for a blocking tight end, and he absolutely fits that profile a guy. He's huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been impressed by rared and I think right now when he runs with the twos with the veto, he looks better than everybody else around him. And we'll see if that can translate to him going up against the starting defense and if he's still making plays. But you mentioned, you know, the zone settle, that he had, those little heady things with his receiving, you know, instincts and feel like those are the things you look for with young receivers. A lot of these tight ends, especially guys that are drafted high. They all can run, they all have good frames on him, they all have good hands, things like that. But the question is, you know, between the ears, are they going to be able to work the middle of the field and find those soft spots. So I was impressed by Rodan again today. I thought that he flashed a few times.
Speaker 1: One last thing, I mean, it seems like maybe some injuries starting to I don't want to say pile up, but maybe the first injuries a camp. We saw Carlton Davis left. That meant Charles Woods got in there. And then Charles Woods looked like he got a little banged up. Could be a spot of concern there at the cornerback spot, but I'm not going to panic guys, because we saw Carlton Davis do this many times last summer.
Speaker 4: Before he always I do think that it did solidify that hierarchy at corner where I do think that Charles Woods is kind of in his own tier as the fourth corner you have, you know, Gonzales, Davis, Marcus Jones. That's one tier, that's the S tier. Then I think the next tier is Charles Woods by himself right now is a guy that's really going to be on this team, I think. And the guys that are competing for roster spots or the following tier, you know, the Kendallvilldors, the Kobe Minors, Karan Prunty. So I think Charles Woods is kind of ahead of that group, but not quite in the starter you know, S tier group. But we'll see if he's out there tomorrow or I guess Thursday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that is Thursday, and their pads are supposed to come on. However, rain might be in the forecast, so if you're planning on coming down here to Jillette Stadium, be sure to check patriots dot com to see if the practice does move inside, it will be close to the public, and I don't know if we'll even do a live show during that, so hopefully the rain holds off, you'll tune into US Live. We'll break that whole practice down as things get to ramp up a little bit in intensity with the onset of pads.