Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Presspass podcast. It is Monday, March twenty fifth, and the NFL Owners meetings are taking place this week down in Florida, and to kick things off, head coach John Harbaugh I met with the media for about thirty minutes this morning during the NFL coaches breakfast and their media session. So here's what head coach John Harbaugh had to say during that time with the media.
Speaker 2: So, if we can start off with your offensive line, you're replacing three starters there.
Speaker 3: What's kind of your vision there?
Speaker 4: I mean, do you think, you know, expect me to be a free agents a guy stepping up and how's.
Speaker 3: What do you kind of expect that the offensive well, I think I expect it to be better than last year. You know, that's always the goals to improve. So along the offensive line, we want to be even better than we were last year. I thought. I think Joe Dellas Sandras is an amazing job coaching the offensive line, and so you know we've still got Joe, so that's a big plus. We're able to bring Ronnie back. I'm excited about that. Ronnie regaining his form really with his health and strength, that's gonna be a big plus four US. You know, Tyler is just one of To me, I think he's the best center. I'll go with Tyler if I'm making that vote along those lines, and then we've got to find who the next guys are gonna be. We have guys in house, we have a free agents that we've signed, obviously, you know that, and then we've got the draft. So I'm confident we'll have a very good offensive line.
Speaker 2: You just picked up Josh Jones, you know what? What made him appealing to you guys, And it's a nice It seems like he has some versatility because you do have three open starting.
Speaker 3: Spots right now. No doubt he's been. He's been, you know, he's been on the left side both in Arizona and in Houston. And he's very athletic. He's a former third round pick, kind of like John Simpson a little bit, if you think about it, a very similar type guy. And John came to us and had a great year, signed a big contract. You know, Uh, he didn't have a lot of options going into last year. I don't think anybody's I don't remember you guys being so confident. You know that John was gonna play that well, who knew, you know, but he was determined to get better and he did. And I feel like Josh is, you know, kind of in that same place. And he's a talented guy. Hey, John, where do you like the special teams? We'll put the kickoff? We'll propose right. Well. The thing the thing about that that I really appreciate, really appreciate about Roger Goodell is that the passion and the determination to get the kickoff back into the game, to keep the game as exciting as it can possibly be. I mean, the kickoff return has been around for a long time in football. You know. I'm kind of kind of passionate about that myself, and I just think I think for Roger to be championing that and get behind that and to be exploring every opportunity to keep the kickoff returning the game, make it exciting. That's that's what you know, I'm happy about. And I think that's the right thing to do.
Speaker 4: Is there a concern that just a transition to you know, the different line man, Yeah, it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody understands. Yeah, Cliff, you're not gonna leave it alone. That Cliff, that's good. I appreciate it. Well, that's the thing. It's always into details, and that's the challenge we're gonna have right now with that. I mean, the line of scrimmage is a big part of football. It's been around for quite a while, and that play kind of takes the line of scrimmage out of it. So it's a it's a drastic kind of move that's going to be way different if it gets passed than what we've seen out a kickoff and kickoff return in the past. It's just a different kind of a football play. So I just appreciate that we're exploring every option, hopefully explore every option up to that point to where we've got to make that kind of a that kind of a move. So is that the right move at this time? I don't know. I think that's to be determined, but I'm confident that, you know, we'll come to a good conclusion somehow.
Speaker 2: Explain to the people yesterday, what did you feel like the feedback was the reaction?
Speaker 3: Do you think it was well received? It was well received. With the part that's well received is the idea that we want to get returns back. Everybody wants to get returns back, so everybody's on the same page with that. How you go about doing that? There's a lot of questions because you know it's a big change. So I think they're just a lot of questions. John, I know it's a might probably a free agency. Got cug with us about Patrick Queen going to the Steelers out rab and what can you do for that? Well, I mean, Patrick's a great player, great guy. I love Patrick Queen. He's one of my all time favorite people. You know, we're gonna be friends for ever. Uh. I'll give Hi a hug, I guess before the game, but you know it's uh, and I'll root for him except for then. But he'll bring a great football player, great attitude, great work ethic, everything he brought to us. A big fan of pack Wings. At the same topic, what are you guys losing? Kevin Zyler run Awaiian's game, right? Kevin Zeitler all ball, every single day. Ball and bakery. I mean his wife bakes the best stuff. So I think, yeah, everything. I mean, everybody in Detroit and that building is gonna get some of the best baked goods they've ever gotten had in their life. But Kevin's a backs on football player. He's got a lot left in the tank. Very tough, physical guy, kind of the you know a lot of ways. You know, it was about the personality of our team. He kind of establishes that way. Hey, you think the hip rules gonas? Do I think it's gonna pass. It's like, I'm not a politician, Cliff, I don't know that stuff.
Speaker 5: Jared, Jared, Sorry, yeah, okay, I mean you got your Mike. I can't see you guys, No, Jared, I do. Uh, I don't know, but I'm for it. I think the hip drop, taking the hip drop out of the game is the right thing to do. I think again, Roger and Troy on the right path with that.
Speaker 3: The competition for me, he's in the right path with that. Uh, it'd be good. It'd be good if it does pass, in my opinion.
Speaker 2: John, In replacing Patrick, you have Trenton Simpson, who I'm sorry about that pretty Where are you with him as far as how he progressed last year and some thoughts on bringing that Chris Ford, do you feel like you kind of have you know that have that covered? I guess so to speak.
Speaker 3: In replacing Patrick, Yeah, well, I know we have it covered because it's just the way the league works. You know, we have to have it covered, Luke. I mean that's just that's what we do. You have to do that, So hopefully we'll do it. Well. I'm really excited about the opportunity Trent's gonna have and he's gonna be ready for it, and I think he's gonna play really well. You know, Chris Board's another guy that just you know, I didn't like it when he left, you know, so now I'm happy that he's back. And we had a we had a great conversation, a great hug, and it's gonna really how our special teams man, he's gonna he's a he's a good solid backup linebacker as well. John, what kind of head coach of the segawskar?
Speaker 6: You're gonna get Mike to Bell?
Speaker 3: Uh, well, they're getting a great person. First of all, Mike is a uh is an a plus person. His wife, Steph is even better. And uh, you know, Steph is a singer. She sings at our Catholic church uh in in Baltimore. There so any Catholic church, and he's an amazing singer. You've got Steph, so she's the most talented one. In the family, no doubt about it. But Mike's a great guy, great coach, smart, detailed, determined, passionate, gonna work really hard. So they got a great coach. What about his defense, he said, for the personnel he at work, So yeah, I mean he's just again, he's it's we you know, we've we've built a good system over the years, and Mike's been on the ground floor of that for ten years. You know, he's been he's been a part of that that uh, that process. So he as a creator, he understands it insight out. The way it's organized, and it's sound and it's it's simple for the guys to learn. So yeah, it's a good system.
Speaker 4: You'll do great out of trying to I'll say, I likely really flats and you know that. But Mark, because you guys already knew he was, we had a lot of talent. But looking forward to next year with Mark and Isaiah maybe playing war together and what two titans has got a possibility And this is your whole view on the even Charlie, the tight end being even more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do. I think those young guys, Cliff, you know, bad about that man. That's terrible it's like I gotta look, but you got the cameras here, the kind of it's hard to look at everybody. So I have had my excuse. The young tight ends evolving, you know and growing is gonna be a big part of what we're doing, with no doubt. So, like I think Charlie's gonna take a big step, Isaiah's gonna take even another big step. It took a big step last year. He's a talented guy. Uh you know those two guys. We still got Patrick Carr kind of doing what he does in that kind of hybrid role. And then Mark, you know Mark, Mark is the star. He's one of the stars, the superstars in the National Football League. So they're all they're all receiving tight ends, are all willing blockers.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: So I think we're a good, really good place at tight end kind of you guys want Bullard to develop into the kind of more inline guy or receiving a flood who's that, Charlie? Charlie, Well, I think being an inline guy would be great for us because we kind of need that, you know. So, I mean he's six foot six, two undred and seventy seventy five pounds, right, that's a big body, you know, and Charlie's a tough guy and he's really determined to be a good blocker. So that would be the step that you'd like to see him take. I trust him as a receiver, just a big target and all that, but I'd love to see him, you know, keep keep growing as a blocker, got wid revenue.
Speaker 1: You kind of got the.
Speaker 3: Wide receivers into the visits himself there and get some turnover there.
Speaker 2: How do you sort of biginal and obviously last year and thinks that Dell and how do you sort of see that that.
Speaker 6: You come and try to watch out to help him sad?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, the uh you know, we drafted two great players in the last three years in the first round, you know, and I would think that Rashad and Zey would would be excited, you know, to kind of step to the front together.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: That's that's where it kind of begins. And then you know, we get we get a veteran player back who and Nelly who did such a great job last year and kind of he was a former first round pick. You know, he played at a high level. He's real versatile player. But then you know, after that we got Thailand. You know, I think Tyland gets a chance he's gonna do well. We got well Sean Ryan and there as a young guy. So you never know how those young guys are gonna keep developing. But we think all of our young guys are really talented guys. And when we got the draft, so I think we're gonna be in a great shaper wide receiver. Like I'm really excited. To me, it's you know, and I'm losing Odell obviously, you know he's I love Odell. But to give those young guys a chances, yeah, they do.
Speaker 4: John, How do you feel Lamar's success has maybe changed how quarterbacks get evaluated coming out of college.
Speaker 3: I think, uh, I think it's changed everything. I think Lamar's success and how Lamar plays the game has changed everything in terms of how quarterbacks are viewed, how they're viewed by scouts, how they're viewed by coaches, how they're viewed by the fans, you know, how they're viewed by society. And that's a that's a really cool thing.
Speaker 4: Did you think that impacts kids coming out now and kind of what they viewed.
Speaker 2: Their ceiling as?
Speaker 3: I absolutely do. To me, it's A. It's a it's just something that shows It's just one more piece in the puzzle that shows young people, you know, what they can do and what they're capable of doing, what's out there for them in this country, and that's a great thing.
Speaker 5: New staff in Washington, Do you guys think you'll keep the joint practices going.
Speaker 3: We have to see. We haven't got the preseason schedule yet, so I hope we can. Uh, we'll just have to see how that goes. I know Dan a little bit, and we'll see if it's something they want to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, John, do you do you are you still interested in bringing either David or Duvin Book back or are you still kind of look at that we're gunning crack for a kid knowing that, Yeah, you just get Dereck Henry, but Keith Mitchell is.
Speaker 3: Still never going to be coming this way back. Yeah. I think we're just gonna kind of see how it shakes out. You know. It's uh some moving pieces to that part, you know, and I'll just kind of let Eric candle out. But if we bring someone back, if we bring one of those two guys back, I'd be happy to do it. If we're not able to do it. You know, we'll we'll find some young guys. And I don't even talk to you since Arthur Letty's signe.
Speaker 4: You're talking about what he brings, you know, coming back to that slot. But he's and also the versatility of your secondary kind of with so many guys can play.
Speaker 3: More positions, it kind of goes hand in hand. I mean, your point is exactly right. Arthur can plays. He's a great slot, but he can play outside if you needn't play outside. He's a special teams player too. He's a good player across the board. I just love the way he plays. I like his style. You know, the guys all hard. He's a talented guy. He's always been an underrated kind of a guy. And he, like he said, he found a home with us in Baltimore. And then you know, look at a guy like Gardarius Washington. Here's another virtual player. He can play in the slot for us. When he was healthy, he's played great. Hopefully he can you know, get a whole season under his belt. But he can also play safety, so he gives us a swing guy there. Then you know Marlin who plays outside but he can play in the slot, play all across the board on either side.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then Brandon can do the same, but he's more outside although he can go to safety. So those guys being versatile is a big plus. John, I know every offenses always evolving. But you know with Derrick Henry New you know, a different offensive look to the offensive line.
Speaker 4: How different do you think this offense would a more will look for some time you see you want.
Speaker 3: To, Uh, I don't know, you never know. I mean it'll look different, There's no doubt about that. That's the one thing that we believe in in keeping it moving. You know, you can't, you can never keep it the same. My wife's she reads a lot of sniper books, you know, and she showed me this quote on the plane coming down that one of the one of the snipers from Afghanistan was talking about and they were talking about one of their missions and whoever they were going against in war created a pattern and uh, and the sniper was able to take advantage of it.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: It's like, no patterns, you know, we don't want patterns. We don't want to be predictable in what we're doing. To use the analogy, Okay, I'm not advocating for snipers or something like that, right, just be clear. But you know you can learn lessons from a lot of people, right, So yeah, we want to keep it moving. I'm gonna be sorry I said that. I think I see Michelle and shaking her head like not good, not good, John, I.
Speaker 2: Know, clown, he's taking some business or in some reports of other teams have an interest where are you guys with him maintaining dialogue? And you know, is there still optimism that you know that he can come back?
Speaker 3: There is about j D and also about Kyle. Is optimism with both with both. I've been texting with j D and Kyle you know, here and there over the last weeks, and so yeah, I'm hopeful we get we get one of both of them at okay, any sense that's time table to them? They might make as I don't know. I think it's this business, you know, John, what are what are some of the things I make? Keith Williams a good coach and where are the Saints good found? Keith is one of the all time great coaches of of of D. He tailed route running. He's a great route running coach, you know, and all the other things that go with He's also great with the guys. He relates well with the guys. He's got relationships with the guys.
Speaker 2: Uh he he.
Speaker 3: He knows the game, you know, he knows the structure of the scheme and all that really well. But but I think he's I've never seen a better route running coach than Keith, And you know we're gonna miss that, Saint. You're getting a great coach to spend some time with.
Speaker 6: The mayor wiching hired and talking about it. Have you got in your new money that's get.
Speaker 3: Better at be your big tea? Yeah, uh yeah, I know some of the some of the guys I knew VERKND know everybody better every day, I guess right. But uh, I'm really excited about the new staff. I like the coaches. I like, I like, I like, I like, I like what they're bringing to the table as far as, uh, just new ideas, new ways to look at the game. We'll keep it moving because we've got some new coaches and bringing some new ideas. And that's kind of how you get better if they keep winning. For when you're gonna go with someone else, you're back your message. Yeah, you just kind of do it by the opportunities you get to people that you have, So we'll have we'll have someone in that room that's kind of have somebody in mind right now, so we'll see if that if that shakes out, kind of a young guy, younger coach kind of in that role. Is there a kind of a trait that you guys on from your tone, you know, right Tack, we do a part of a les saving kind of shoot the gap stuff act, you know, being those stuff. Is there something that's unworking wants to use you guys kind of want to prioritize that back on the dot one spot, Yeah, I mean, I think the biggest thing is that you know, Alignment have to the bottom line is that when you watch tape, is Aligneman is he blocking people? You know, you've got to be able to block people, you know. I know it's like over simplistic because you get into you know, skill sets and foot speed and range and moving ability versus anchor and all these different kinds of things that you kind of got to lay out. But to me, can they control the block and finish the block?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 3: So you know, you know Daniel, you say he's more of a gap scheme guy because of his size and his hip you can come off the ball, right, and that's what we want Daniel to do because that's what he was kind of born to do. But he can he can make a reach block too. He's got great feet and he can sustain a block. So the ability to sustain a block either way to me, whether it's run or pass pass, zoner gap or a man drive block, he's really the bottom line. And then where they kind of maybe excel a little bit more, you kind of kind of game plan and call plays a little more. That way, it's before he's gonna be ready for is he fully go?
Speaker 7: Full go?
Speaker 3: Now he's full go. He'll be full go when you come back for the off season. Yeah, how is his Snoot's not coming.
Speaker 4: Back as the backup and he's talking about the backup for the weston the league and Josh and learn what you see and.
Speaker 3: From what you see can god Yeah, I mean Josh, Josh would be the backup quarterback.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Uh he's uh, he's coming back.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Thrilled to heave him back. I think he's he's he can still play at a really high level. He knows the offense inside. Now he contributes to the offense. He and Lamar have a great relationship. So I think he brings so much to us. Malik is you know, kind of just an opportunity for him. He's a great guy. I love love his personality. From what I can see, his work ethic is really good, all those kind of things. Uh So that's just see what happens with that and see how he looks when we get out there. What kind of problems did Aaron done? Was well, we just talked about lineman be able to be able to block people. That was kind of the trade. The defining trade for Lineman is blocking people. Right, Aaron Donald's pretty much unblockable, you know with one guy. Uh really the ability for him to ruin the play before the play gets started, I would say he jumps out in my mind, you know, he makes one little movement or twitches or kind of looks a certain way. Next you know, he's in the backfield making a tackle and you're kind of like, what happened. I seemed to make a habit of doing that offenses. You guy's great at what he did me with. That's twenty nineteen. If he didn't do anything, we put a couple of guys on him.
Speaker 4: That was a think of the drawing, but obviously been injuries the last couple of years, kept from block. Can you talk about where he is and how important of the year is should be for him? Get kind of you know, so what he's what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think David's gonna just I think he's gonna break out, you know. I think he and a Dafe are you know, gonna be partners in crime?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think those guys are gonna play great together. Uh, they're they're raided role man. I mean every time I talk to him, every time I see him the broom with enthusiasm, they're they're they're working hard. He's healthy, They're both healthy. Can't wait to get to work with those guys are good. Hey, I'm just.
Speaker 7: Curious what's your process or you know, going through with your coordinators from last year, the things that you kind of said that obviously you like as you didn't like, and then if you can highlight some of the things yourself as you move into this season, in particular offense, you know, you guys very far again, very well, but what's the next Eschel one that you want to see?
Speaker 3: The offensive all too? Yeah, that's kind of the bottom line kind of what you said, they're at the the the last part of it, I think, more than anything is just keep improving and getting better. So, you know, special teams wise, with Chris Horton, who I think is an amazing coach, you know, we've got we're looking at the new kickoff rules and then uh personnel and then scheme, so you know, where can we tweak the scheme and and the way we teach our techniques. So that's kind of set, but there's still ways we can improve. Defensively, We'll start with Zach Orr. I mean, Zach's gonna be a new coordinator. We've got you know, new coaches on defense, so that's gonna be huge. I mean, that's a that's taking what we do with and adding the ideas and the talents and new coaches haven't taken Zach's personality and putting his stamp on it.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: Then offensively first year to second year is big. So the opportunity to take an offense that was pretty dramatically different, you know, we was it was like the old offense or the previous offense, and the fact that it was so different from what everybody else was doing. So I think it's it's it's alike in that it's different, but it's definitely different than what we did. So with that there comes a lot of a lot of nuances, a lot of a lot of details that you've got to you know, become really good at to tech plays and the way you do it in this offense is different than the way you did in the previous office we were running, So our ability to take the next step Todd leading that got great coaches and Greg Lewis and Willie Taggart, George Goatsee all those guys just do a phenomenal job working together, Travis Switzer of building this thing. So we're kind of we're way way underwater right now working on taking the next step in our offense, and I'm excited about where we're going at.
Speaker 2: Thanks John, I'm sorry if asked us already speaks to a special teams background.
Speaker 3: I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the kick off most of them. Yeah, and we talked about that. I'm just I'm excited about the I'm excited about I just think Roger Goodell is doing a great job of driving bringing the trying to bring the kickoff return back into the game and make it exciting for the fans. The fans the fans like excitement, right, So you want to play that's more than a ceremonial play, and it's been a ceremonial play really for the last number of years, and so a way to bring it back and bring it back safely, that's what I'm for. How we go about doing that, that's the conversation. It is not easy, but we'll come to something really good. But look up the play is that gonna be hard to get over all way, but uh, well there's a lot. There's a lot too. It's just really different. You know, it doesn't have a line of scrimmage. It's just a different play to get your arms around. And really the biggest thing about it when you really dig dig down deep, is that there's just unpredictable. There's a lot of unintended consequences and you don't know what it's gonna look like. So that's what everybody's kind of trying to get their arms around.
Speaker 6: John Fossil said yesterday, I think you asked the most questions when he was presenting it to the group.
Speaker 3: What were your questions? And is that it's your assessment it is, and uh, and his answers were very good. And John did a great job and and and Darren Rizzy Rizz did a great job too. Those guys are great coaches. And I think they were tasked with making that play work and uh, they went to work on that and they figure out a way to make the play workable. So I'm satisfied that the play's workable. I don't know what it's gonna look like. I'm not sure there's not a better answer maybe, but uh, that's what you know. Everybody's gonna put their heads together and kind of decide then really just to see how it works out to you a lot on Shani.
Speaker 6: When you're in the vote for yes or no or you don't think you guys had conversations about it.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, we talked about last night as a matter of fact. So I don't know what we're gonna do yet. We'll see, honestly, real football. I think it makes sense. The Eagle's proposal. Yeah, it's good. It's a it's a it's kind of cleaning things up a little bit. Yeah, I like it. John, that's the lawn's gone forrest period. His rushes have goe down. Do you think people with the addition of the Derrick Henry, do you think it will still his? You know, the more you know the design runs and evens and scramble will even go Dell even brother. I don't know. Lamar is gonna play the way Lamar plays, and that's what I'm for, you know. I love the way he plays the game. I think he's intuitively an intelligently uh just a phenomenal football player.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: He sees the game in a very unique ways, very smart ways. So I'm for him playing the way that he plays, you know. And I think that just Derrick Henry being there, plus Lamar plus the other guys, it's a good formula. I'm in a big last year you're undertaking for the costo with the wide receiver entering the draft. If you have a kind of pet project entering quest h yeah I do. But if I told you that, I'd be kind of give them a rare draft plans run way. Yeah, it's a very very clever way to ask the questions. I'm smart, Yeah I have. I'm finished with my first round of assignments. Now I'm going to the second level after this. These media, I can take this for what positions or especially uh No, I don't have a very I'm gonna answer for you on that. Eric, he does a good job answer knows. You'll probably see him around. Why why aren't the gims here doing this?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: They are? Do they do the media?
Speaker 6: So okay, I don't don't Soar and obviously texting a lot, and he kind of has some ideas the season, what seems to be his self assessment, what he's working on, what he.
Speaker 3: Thinks his next step should. Yeah, Lamar his feelings about his next step. You know, he's got a lot of thoughts. I'm he's, he's, he's, it's it's like any there's no one football thing, you know. I think he's looking at every aspect of his game. He starts with himself. That's what I love about Lamar, what can I do better? And that's why he continues to improve. And then he goes to what we need, you know, what we need schematically in his in his view, and he you know, he trusts the coaches and he wants to like he we talked that week and shared ideas schematically also personnel wise, and then we're kind of working on that now and he'll come back and he'll look at everything and we'll want to know what he thinks, you know, like do you prefer this or this? It's more comfortable in this direction or that direction? You know what do you like any other ideas you had since since we talked last? And Lamarro will be part of the architect I believe he'll be a big part of the architect on the offense, having free agents design.
Speaker 7: What do you see?
Speaker 4: How he think?
Speaker 6: Sevens? I guess how particle is he?
Speaker 7: Who?
Speaker 3: Who's at Lamar?
Speaker 7: Just for you together?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, Lamar, Yeah, Lamar's that's I'd say that's one of his greatest strengths as the locker room. You know, he's just he's just you you or you know him. I mean, he who what you see is what you get and even like more fun because he's got his guard up a little bit, I'm sure you know in his public persona, but when he lets his guard down, he's just kind of being who he is. Funny, funny dude, a funny guy, lovable guy. He's just he likes people. He's a he's a magnet. You know, in the locker room, the guys love him. Has he provided a wish list of guys and he's looking at guys now. Yeah. Yeah, he and I agree on a few guys. We haven't disagreed on anybody yet, so sharing our vision together, talking about wide receivers or tight ends already come about anybody like a position? Well, he's more interested in the wide receivers and tight ends. Yeah, he isn't hasn't waited in any offensive lineman just yet. Yeah, that's true when you guys are treated mosts. I think there was some confusion on the band and it seemed like he was on relatively team bring the deal he had injury gets to pick the Southeast and picks plays kind of explained the decision to move on and it works to pick out here. Yeah, that's that's a tough explanation because I think the fans are right in the sense that, wow, you know, that's just looking at that as a as a signal, a single move.
Speaker 7: You know it was.
Speaker 3: He's a heck of a player. Everybody loves him. He works hard, he's he's productive, played through injuries last year and was on a team friendly contract. But in the big picture, when you kind of step back and you look at the whole cap structure, uh, it was. It was tight, you know, and that was an opportunity I think where you know, unfortunately, trade pick up the pick up the cap space, create some cushion, a little bit, a little bit of a buffer that we needed and we have a you know, we have a young player there that has a chance to to to kind of step forward and play well. So that was a tough decision. Dylan as now the second one, this tenured coach in the league. You ever take time to think about like your future all world in the dead one like you, I hope to have one. Yeah, yeah, I'm I'm for having a future, not not much more than the immediate future. To be honest with you, you know, I think about the past. Because someone showed me a clip of our press conference and they asked me if it if it felt like thirty years ago. I said no, but it did look like thirty years ago. You know, Steve and I both looked at you a lot younger than that press conference. So you know, you look, you look, you do you look in the mirror, whatever, and you say, wow, this is really amazing. And the people that we've been around, the great moments and the tough moments, but that's what makes it so great. And I just I love what I'm doing. I love these kind of the setting here. I love I love you guys, you gals, I believe it or not, you know, it's it's something that you know someday, you know, we're all gonna look back on them. We're gonna say, wow, that was pretty cool. We got a chance to do that. So I just want to like, look look at it right now and say, wow, this is pretty cool that we get a chance to do that and make the most of it. You foul just to tackle at this point or at their chance that he couldn't. I would say, let's focus a tackle right now, you know, definitely, Jeff. Let's let's see if we get that right tackle thing and give him a chance to win. Your job on his life is a state of pullback. He's not ob you hard or anything. Correct. Yes, yes, yes, saying her heads have prevailed. That's why I look at it. Yeah, he's he's great at what he does, so let's let's let him be great. Have you guys heard one way or the other from the NFL on anything relating today? Just status kind of thing, no updates. Uh, that's I don't really have any details on that. I don't I don't have nothing I could really share in that right now if that would help Ton.
Speaker 2: There was a report earlier in the off season that you guys might be.
Speaker 3: Bringing Jerry Rossbern back in some capacity. Anything you can share with that, I mean, were there talks? Was there a decision just not to do it? Like, yeah, no, I I thought that was way like overblown, you know. And and Jerry, Jerry. I talked to Jerry a lot. You know, Jerry's one of them. He's my best friend, you know. I think he's a he's a great coach and uh and he's he's a wise person, you know, so you seek you seek wisdom and advice where you can so in some form or fashion. I think, you know, if Jerry did it with Denver, he did that and he became the head coach for a couple of couple of games. So you know, I'm sure Jerry's interested. Or he told me that he might might maybe in some role if we wanted and if we needed him, and I'm like, well, that'd be cool, you know, And and let's kind of see where that goes, you know, and see if there is something that would make sense, but not not on a full time type basis. That was really never the conversation. That's not what we talked about.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then we'll just see where we go with our staff and see if there's a place where just kind of as a as a consultant advisor type of of a position that would help us, only if it would.
Speaker 6: Help us, like to see or he's around.
Speaker 3: So could you say it again, he's around? Yeah, yeah, it was great. I was sitting right across in the meeting from from Joe and from my brother Jim, you know, so couldn't help, like, you know, catch catch their eye. But we weren't. We weren't. We weren't making faces or anything. It was it's just neat to see those guys. And Mike was sitting right over there. That was cool. Joe's Joe's wonderful. You know, he's just a He's a great person. You kind of you miss those guys and you see come back and you see them and you're like, man, I miss you, you know, but you move forward and they get their opportunity and that's great. He seems like with Odell though, I mean, you guys love them. He love to be here.
Speaker 4: What kind of do you think went into the fact that, you know, he is one of probably play else.
Speaker 7: With the show.
Speaker 3: I just think it was more. I think it was just more financial, you know, I think it has more to do with it. I'm sure I didn't. I wasn't involved any of that, but I'm sure that that he and Eric talked and it just wasn't gonna work out, you know, just from a number standpoint, probably as much from we're at you know, we're in a tight set cap type situation and kind of was a mutual understanding. I think that way turns Brandy Brown, what is the name of your what is the name for your organization? That lets me especially teams guy? Now you look at two top highest pay kickers. Now, so are you are you? Are you related to Randy Jersey guy? Okay, yeah, Uh In all serious is Randy Brown is a great coach. You know, I think he's he's a pioneer. Uh you know how he got into the league. What he's done is he was the first one to do it. Really and there's a couple other guys kind of back back in those days with Randy and Randy's he's he's been around for a long time, and now he knows the special teams game inside out. He knows the rules really well. He brings a unique personalities everybody around here, you know when they laugh, you know, as you know, he's one of the kind, and I think he does a great job with those guys. He coaches a specialist really like nobody else in the league. But even beyond that, you know, he coaches the special teams too. So, Uh, he's been a he's been a really strong Uh, he's been a strong addition for us. He's been a strong part of move accompassed over the years. You do two more gus, Johnny. It happens to me a lot too, you know, Uh, anybody else, John Sometimes we don't get a chance to ask you about too much.
Speaker 2: But Roderick Washington last year, did you make up his season?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 2: It just didn't seem like maybe he stood out quite as much as he did the year before. I mean, you guys extended him last summer. Men, just where do you think you know kind.
Speaker 3: Of where he is right now? Yeah, Brody, I saw Broddy in the building just last week. He's in there lifting weights and working hard. You know, that's the thing, and I thought he had a good season last year and he's gonna be who he is. You know, he's gonna be a very good player for us. He's gonna be a guy that's gonna it's gonna he's gonna stop the run. He's gonna be where he's supposed to be. He's gonna be running to the ball. He's gonna be brushing the quarterback from the inside, pushing the pocket.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: He gives us valuable reps and he's he's a great teammate. So he gotta have those kind of guys. I those Nutt and Bolt guys like Broader Washington or guys that kind of you get you. That's part of your structure.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: If you don't have guys like that, your structure doesn't hold together. So that's why, well that's why we love him. So when he brings to the table is just exactly what we need him to bring to the table. So I expect him to have a great year and kind of do what he does. Bits I think we mentioned of the combine without your admiration to the Dolphins and to do with the RPO just getting the call up quickly or maybe maybe not our do what the Dolphins do? Oh, the Dolphins get the ball out quickly. I guess you guys are using more propios this year. The markt developed bicker. You want to see that kind of continue and they get How would you kind of evaluate the increcia where you guys would up? Yeah, I mean, I think we're in the right place with our RPOs. I don't think it's something that we're gonna like go wholesale towards because Lamar's got so many different ways he plays the game and there's other things we like to do, to be honest with you, so RPOs are a part of it. I don't see it's going towards like anybody's specific offense that runs those more than anybody else, or like anybody else, because our quarterback is different, you know, than anybody else's, So none of these quarterbacks are exactly the same. And to me, you've got to build the offense around your specific guy. So RPOs will be a part of what we're doing, for sure, They're not gonna be the main part of what we're doing. It really hasn't been that way. It's not like the number one thing we do some teams.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: If you want a full breakdown of everything that we heard from Coach Harball and the big takeaways from that time with the media, head over to the Lounge the podcast feed. Clifton Brown and I will break down what he said, what it means, and the implications for the Ravens moving forward. Now, if you want to make sure that you're subscribed here, hit that subscribe button here on the Ravens Press Past podcast feed as well as the Lounge podcast feed as well. Thank you so much for listening, and we'll be back with you during the next Ravens Press conference.