Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalist at Comedy Central's America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 1: That's the Daily Choice. With your Holy Show doing welcome, Let's just talk about how am I to show? Please? Please?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: How was every how is everybody doing? Wow?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: What all a terrible walking week? Hey? John, come back to the Daily Show just to the election. It'll be fine. You'll do one day week. You'll be alarm. What would go wrong? Obviously, we were supposed to be doing our shows.
Speaker 5: From Milwaukee for the RNC this week, but because of the attempt on the former president's life, our venue, the venue in which we planned to this show is a theater, which was originally located in the soft perimeter they called it security wise, was shifted understandably so to the hard perimeter. They called it the hard perimeter. You really don't want to be in the hard perimeter. It was locked down. They built cages around the theater, and because of that, we felt that we cannot logistically put on the theater shows effectively without.
Speaker 1: People. But I do want to say to the city of Milwaukee.
Speaker 5: The Mayor of Milwaukee could not have been more accommodating to the show more gracious to us. We thank you so much. I do hope that we will be able to come back to Milwaukee. We really do want to come back at some point and make up some of the events we had planned, especially our in Dog Decisions. We get dogs adopted and people registered to vote, or or it's the other way around. I don't really, I don't remember. But as always, the biggest slice of praise is reserved for our production team and crew.
Speaker 1: They turned this ocean line all around on the dine on a dime. It is a big.
Speaker 5: Production to take a show like this on the road on short notice. Our crap production team and our crew got us back to New York City, rejiggered all the things in the studio to get us ready to do a program this very Tuesday night. It's remarkable work, and I just want to thank.
Speaker 1: The remarkable remarkable.
Speaker 5: All right, But even though we are not in Milwaukee, last night was night one of the RNC, and obviously, after what happened this weekend, there was a clear theme going in.
Speaker 6: Obviously right now, unity is a theme that we need to be focused on.
Speaker 1: I think that we're going to hear a lot of unifying top speeches.
Speaker 4: We got to create some unity.
Speaker 1: The vitriol and the hatred it needs to stop.
Speaker 4: We shall bring the temperature down.
Speaker 6: Let's turn this moment into a moment that helps us down that path of healing and unity.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 5: That that is Senator Ron Johnson of Wisconsin. He is known as a particularly divisive, divisive or whoever you want to.
Speaker 1: Pronounce that, a divisive figure.
Speaker 5: So to hear that healing rhetoric coming from Ron Johnson is impressive.
Speaker 1: I for one, look forward to hearing his unifying remarks on the convention floor today's Democrat agenda.
Speaker 3: Their policies are a clear and pressing danger to America.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I guess he's what's known as unity in the streets, divisive in the sheets.
Speaker 1: But to be fair, to be fair, and I want to be fair in this new environment.
Speaker 5: Senator Johnson did not mean to stoke anger his teleprompter did.
Speaker 8: What he wanted loaded in the prompture was that we needed a somber moment in history. We should heed President Trump's call to unite, to be strong, to be determined, We must heal. He said, I don't know how the other one got in there and screwed up the teleprompter, but again he went ahead and read it.
Speaker 1: What a douchebag. Sorry, I didn't mean to say that that was in my teleprompter. I apologize.
Speaker 5: Rogue teleprompters weren't the only ones having trouble adjusting to the Republican's new tone. One particularly fiery member of Congress struggled mightily as her body rejected the unity theme.
Speaker 1: As though it were transplanted like a monkey heart.
Speaker 7: The founding father of the America First Movement, Donald John Trump, make America successful again, wealthy again, the country we deserve.
Speaker 1: She knows she's making that noise, right, Okay? Oh? Is that is that the noise she makes?
Speaker 5: When the interior monologue is going, Marjorie, there's gonna be plenty of time to talk about satanic democrats.
Speaker 1: Just keep it in, Marjorie. Just I just oh, this is this is hard to do.
Speaker 5: But perhaps the weirdest moment of last night was the RNC looked like it was turning into the DNC. One of its featured speakers was Amber Rose, founder of the La Slut Walk and a sex positive pro choice internet celebrity.
Speaker 7: Donald Trump and his supporters don't care if you're black, white, gay, or straight.
Speaker 1: It's all love. It's all love. It's love.
Speaker 5: You just better hope oh that love doesn't lead to an eck topic of pregnancy, because ah, the guys know what I'm talking about. They're failing that in the old Filippian tubes over. But the moment that really felt like the DNC had snuck into the RNC was when Sean O'Brien, the president of the Teamsters union and apparently Rob Qudrey Dppelganger, came up to the lectern.
Speaker 3: Come on, Codrey, it's an honor to be the first Teamster and our one and only one year history to address the Republican National Convention.
Speaker 1: The crowd went crazy until he began to tell them what he thinks.
Speaker 3: Legal protections that make it safer for workers to get.
Speaker 6: A contract, trade policies that put American workers first.
Speaker 1: Label law must be reformed.
Speaker 3: Companies fireworkers who try to join unions and hide behind toothless laws that are meant to protect working people but are manipulated to benefit corporations.
Speaker 5: The to where are the chairs on the Florida Conversion Yes, apparently Republicans are pro worker now in pro union. Somebody tells all the Republican governors who passed right to work anti union laws in their states, and all the Republican appointed judges who made it easier to break unions, and Donald Trump himself who helped kill a bill that would have protected unions, they are going to be some best.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 5: The main event from last night was the crowning of Donald Trump's MAGA movement.
Speaker 1: Air Apparent.
Speaker 5: No, not that guy, No the here you go, the other dark haired, bearded dude right in front of that one.
Speaker 1: Jd Vance. I gotta tell you something, man, that ain't right.
Speaker 5: It's like for Vice President Donald selected the actor who would be hired to play Don Junior in the lifetime.
Speaker 1: It's not right. It's like Don Junior was the beta version that had to have some kingsmort doubt.
Speaker 5: He's the default avatar in the video game, and the Donald Trump Senior adjusted the pretty eyes and charisma sliders up a little bit.
Speaker 1: Sixty six intelligence.
Speaker 5: And then it was time for Donald Trump's big entrance. The Great Lee Greenwood did the honors with a rousing rendition.
Speaker 1: Of God Bless the USA.
Speaker 9: Doubt Who's to be the next President of the United States.
Speaker 1: Rare works, this station based on faith, rare work, because he was sure.
Speaker 9: As Donald Trump turned his head just slightly that the bullet missed.
Speaker 1: Him just enough. You know what, I'm sorry. We're gonna have to skip ahead just a little bit. None of the side pattern, if you could. The Great Lake Greenwood introducing Donald Trump. Here we go.
Speaker 9: We have believed for so long that God will make some changes in this country, and he's about to make a change in the current administration and send them home.
Speaker 1: Thank you everybody for being here.
Speaker 4: Just he get to it.
Speaker 5: The man is wearing a time release ear sav for God's sakes, help for.
Speaker 9: Our veterans, and God bless our military wherever they are.
Speaker 1: And they see United States and abroad.
Speaker 8: The lady, please welcome the next president of the United States.
Speaker 1: They cut him off.
Speaker 5: Is it is it possible to bring out another band to play a band off?
Speaker 1: But then finally Donald Trump himself.
Speaker 5: Arrived, waving to his adoring crowd, and then went to sit down and what can only be described as some sort of chair trap.
Speaker 1: Oh what's that ahead? Oh well that's what that being back? What the hell mean?
Speaker 5: While back at the back cave, Joe Biden was sitting down with NBC News anchor Lester Holt to answer questions about what he would do to cool our nation's overheated rhetoric.
Speaker 10: But have you taking a step back and done a little soul searching on things that you may have said that could incite people who are not balanced?
Speaker 11: How do you talk about the threat to democracy which is real when a president says things like he says, do you just not say an him? He's a man, incite somebody. My opponent's engaged.
Speaker 4: That rhetoric he.
Speaker 11: Talks about to be a bloodbath if he loses, Like remember the picture of Donald Trump one Nancy Pelosi's husband's hip of the hammer going talking about joking about it.
Speaker 10: This doesn't sound like you're turning down the heat, though.
Speaker 5: He's telling you what the other guy had been saying. I was supposed to discuss the temperature of the rhetoric. If you're not allowed to mention the rhetoric. It became clear that Biden was ready to turn it down for everybody.
Speaker 10: But Lesterholt, are you seeing what they saw, which was moments of frankly that appeared to be you appeared to be confused.
Speaker 11: Lester, Look why don't you guys ever talk about the eighteen twenty eight lies?
Speaker 1: He told, where are you from?
Speaker 12: This?
Speaker 1: All shit? Seriously, you won't answer the question.
Speaker 11: But why didn't the press talk about all the lies?
Speaker 1: He told me, Let me ask you something, Lester, Let me ask you something. Let me let me let me let me ask you this. Who's got two thumbs? Lester? And it is about to beat your ass?
Speaker 5: But of course, because the entire debate over rhetoric is happening because of the attempted assassination of Donald Trump over the weekend at a rally in Pennsylvania, which was obviously terrifying and disorienting. And I think I learned that in an emergency, when shit hits the fan in this country, the Internet is a great source of information.
Speaker 1: For instance, within minutes.
Speaker 5: I found out that this is staged, and then I found out that it was actually an inside job, and then I found out that it was Joe Biden who ordered it, and then I found out that this guy is the shooter. Great job, Internet, you did it, except it turns out that that guy is an Italian football commentator named Marco Violi, who.
Speaker 1: Does, to be fair, who the little shootery?
Speaker 5: But I can only assume was in Italy sipping Apparol's Princes on the piazza when he got a panicked call from his nona.
Speaker 1: A lot of gold, A lot of gold? Why am lot Cole?
Speaker 5: And I have to say, and I mean this, and I have a slight confession to make, and I am not proud of this in any way, shape or form, but I'm following social media during all this to find out who did it, because it's this pattern I feel like we now have in the country. When we hear about a horrific event, you're on pins and needles in this sort of reverse demographic lottery to make sure that the psychopathic shooter doesn't belong to one of your teams. You know, you just sit there going please no Democrats, no liberals, no progressives. It's like that press your luck game. No Dewey, no Jewey, no Dewey, no Dewey, no Dewey.
Speaker 1: And we're all doing it.
Speaker 5: We're all doing it because we have to know what our posture will be on the tragedy. Will it be a haughty I told you, or perhaps a circumspect Well, let's not rush to judgment. We shouldn't generalize and then it ends up being someone we can't even figure out in the first place. A bullied, loner, white guy, registered Republican donated to a blue pack argued conservative causes is a dude, but if you flip his picture upside down, kind of looks like an old lady.
Speaker 1: I don't know what's going on with this guy. It's a jump ball.
Speaker 5: We don't know yet who's got DIBs, who wins, and none of us knows what's going to happen next, other than there will be another tragedy in this country, self inflicted by us to us, and then we'll have this feeling again. I remember it on nine to eleven, this disorienting, holy shit stopped the world.
Speaker 1: I would like to get off feeling.
Speaker 5: And in that moment, there will be some incredible Americans who, in the midst of it, for some unknown reason, rush towards it and get us back to some sort of equilibrium. And we'll count on those folks to hold us together again. And it does remind us that by a hair's breath, we dodged a catastrophe, but it was still a tragedy because one of those first responders lost his life. His name was Corey Comparatore. He was a retired fire chief in the area. He had given his life in service to his community, and he died literally shielding his family. He's a reminder that in those moments of crisis, there are helpers, and we can all make a choice to try and be one of those people, or.
Speaker 1: You can be one of these guys.
Speaker 13: In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, an article from Forbes titled while Surviving Gunfire be Donald Trump's next appeal to black voters not helping when we.
Speaker 1: Come back, Bella rau, be here, don't go away.
Speaker 6: Let me go.
Speaker 5: JOm I got close. He is the host of the o'reiley Update and is the author of the forthcoming book Confronting the Presidents. Please welcome back to the program. Bell O'Reilly, sir, come on that.
Speaker 1: Take the problem.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me take appreciated.
Speaker 1: William Yes, sir, you our country. We are in such a dangerous moment.
Speaker 5: You've written books on almost every assassination, as you have a whole line of the killings, the killing, the killing, the children's series you write about killing presidents?
Speaker 1: Is the time we're in? In your mind?
Speaker 5: Are we in a unique time in American history of polarization or as you looked back on those other moments of terrible tragedy in our country. Are there similarities or difference?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's uh, not unique, but the social media and the corporate media heighten everything.
Speaker 1: So you're saying Lincoln's tweets were not a part of He.
Speaker 6: Had to like get a pigeon and throw them out and limited. But the assassins all had one thing in common. They were all mentally ill, all of them, and most of them did their terrible deeds because they were in a rage. And you're gonna find out that this guy in Pennsylvania fits both of those categories that has been human nature since they do.
Speaker 5: You believe then that the political rhetoric, I mean, John Wilkes Booth was clearly a political actor.
Speaker 1: No, but he was also mentally ill.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: John Wilkes Booth was a fanatical conservative and racist who hated Lincoln.
Speaker 1: Good thing that's gone out of the country.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: No, I know I was saying it too.
Speaker 4: I'm saying that we were both saying it simultaneous.
Speaker 5: No, we're obviously sharing that opinion where SYMPATICO.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly exactly. Don't so Latin.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: So it's not new, but where now in a society where hatred is rewarded.
Speaker 1: It's incentivized, it's monetized.
Speaker 6: That's right, And I'm on the hate brigade is now pulling back a little bit because they have to, but they're going to be back in two weeks because they get paid to do this. They're so untalented. And oh boy, oh boy, I want to make this point because Stuart and I have a history.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll go back. But if you watch, if you google, all right.
Speaker 1: Really do it, and ship's passing in a night.
Speaker 4: It's really.
Speaker 6: We are able to disagree without hating each other. Now I truly hate him, but I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't show it. You hold it.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, But now that's not rewarded. That kind of deaton where two people look at life differently, isn't rewarded. The haters get the big money, and so that's what you have. And I think all Americans start to hold the corporations accountable. You can't do anything about the guys and the basement that are chucking this stuff out, and you just had it on these conspiratorial nuts can't do anything about that, but you can say to corporations you better knock this stuff off. You better stop calling people racist and naziason, this and that. Now your question, and thank you for letting me take a question.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 4: Thank you for letting me you were talking.
Speaker 5: I was watching a different program I'm watching. I'm watching South Park reruns right now. I don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: But this one is better. So listen to me.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna listen to But then I have a fall up to this, which I think is important.
Speaker 4: Okay, So your question is, then what can people do about this? All right? Reject it, don't celebrate it.
Speaker 6: So this kid twenty years old in Pennsylvania, and we don't know why caused him to do that. We knew he was a miserable kid who was bullied. All of this stuff, right right, we all know that, But we don't get into always a Republican. That's the first thing they said on the View, the first thing they said on Monday undview ed a Republican.
Speaker 4: Stop it. That does nobody any good? All right, But.
Speaker 1: Bill, let me push back a bit. Look, you and I are both.
Speaker 5: Somewhat fossilized practitioners of the rhetorical arts that are confrontational at times, provocative at times, and we made a really spectacular living pushing those envelopes. It seems now to say, hey, these other people should stop.
Speaker 1: Hey, look well, it's like it's like it's like.
Speaker 7: Beach.
Speaker 1: But don't you believe let me let me put this Stewart.
Speaker 5: We keep saying like, we don't know why these people do it, they're all mentally ill.
Speaker 1: But let's stop the rhetoric. Even though we have no idea. Wouldn't it be better to come up with.
Speaker 5: People can be passionate, people can defend their position, and shouldn't we be shouldn't the argument be we have to start arguing with each other in good faith?
Speaker 6: Okay, So Biden made a good point last night in the Lester Hold interview when he said, what am I supposed to do? Not criticize Trump because I feels it is a threat towards is the Third Reich?
Speaker 1: You know? Okay, you know he didn't say that.
Speaker 4: But no, but he was thinking it, Stuart. He was thinking and I could read it.
Speaker 1: Stop monetizing your anger? So anyway, stop, I don't like it.
Speaker 6: I don't like it one day, but he made a point yes where I got to criticize the guy because I don't believe he's good for American and I believe he's x Y and say, Okay, criticism is good, Robust debate is good. I like coming on here in front of all of your friends out here and the audience. You know, I have no friends here, okay.
Speaker 4: My friends not just here. Well I'm giving them that one, all right, Okay, So.
Speaker 6: We have made a nice living confronting other people, sometimes making fun of them, sometimes serious debate.
Speaker 4: I'm going to do your podcast tomorrow. I'm direct and now I'm going to kick your butt, of course.
Speaker 6: So, but we don't want to see them, at least I don't destroyed.
Speaker 4: That's the difference.
Speaker 6: The fanatics on the left and the right want to see their opposition destroyed.
Speaker 4: They want to hurt them.
Speaker 1: But I've heard a lot about and even from you, arguing that point. Are you I'm not arguing that point.
Speaker 5: I think that's a more measured point than you've probably been making and that I've been hearing come on.
Speaker 1: Most of your points.
Speaker 5: From what I've been following, is that the left has to take it down a notch. You've mentioned MSNBC.
Speaker 13: I ran a.
Speaker 6: Montage on the No Spin News last night. So I'm Bill O'Reilly dot com. By the way, four million.
Speaker 1: By the way, happy log on. It is hard to get on there, it is.
Speaker 6: It's not hard for the four million people that watch me all the weekend, four million, four million, wasn't hard for them.
Speaker 4: Look a lot of change, thank you? All right?
Speaker 6: So I ran a montage of haters on the left and the right. Okay, I just and I didn't have to, but he he's terrible. I just let their words speak for themselves.
Speaker 5: On the right, and I don't know if you would argue this. There is a feeling that they haven't been doing that and that it is the.
Speaker 1: Purview of the left. Okay, there's been a lot of that.
Speaker 6: People believe what they want to believe. But those of us who are seen and fact based, right, and.
Speaker 4: That might not be you. We know what reality is because we can see and hear it.
Speaker 1: But we're no longer agreeing.
Speaker 5: How can we have a conversation about rhetoric if we can't even agree, If there are delusions of it's really only them. I mean, when I watch the guy from the Heritage Foundation say the revolution will be bloodless if the left, you know, allows that right, and you're just like, what are we doing here? You know, some of the fears of people are justified. Tens of millions of women lost access to reproductive choice based on the decisions of that party. Those are real life consequences of great gravity and weight.
Speaker 1: How do we talk about those in a way that so that you're able to express it?
Speaker 12: Is?
Speaker 4: It's not difficult to talk about it, and you don't.
Speaker 1: It seems like it is.
Speaker 6: See the mistake that you made, one of the many you are trying to get the fringe people in to be reasonable.
Speaker 1: You're errig on the lead is not the fringe. And when I watch No, No, No, it is that.
Speaker 4: People don't know what that is.
Speaker 6: Most Americans, I put the number of seventy percent are good people.
Speaker 4: Don't do that, not acrimony, They don't want filence.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Those are the people you play to, not the fringe people who are just out there wanting to, as I said, destroy.
Speaker 1: The other party. Your your candidate, Why no, I don't have a candidate.
Speaker 4: Oh right, okay, independent say that's what this guy did, and this is what you did.
Speaker 1: I really need to take a look at this Cornell westfellow.
Speaker 6: If you guys watch their conditioned lisatorium.
Speaker 1: He did the same thing. Listen to me, Nick Romney, listen, you are fossil. Listen to me.
Speaker 5: Listen the candidate who represents many of your kinfolk. Oh no, d Foe he said, yeah, the election was stolen and rigged right and drove people to this madness on January sixth.
Speaker 1: How are we to deal with that? Truly?
Speaker 5: You know, what is the hallmark of a democracy? Peaceful transfer? That put that in jeopardy.
Speaker 4: That has haunted him every day since.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's paid a terrible price.
Speaker 4: No he has. Can I explain the price?
Speaker 5: He's gonna go back to the White House, and if I have to fix the damage himself, paint that wall.
Speaker 6: If Trump hadn't done that on January sixth, he'd be ahead of Biden by twenty five points in the poll. I mean, that's how bad Biden has been for the country.
Speaker 1: Well, I disagree with that, but that's what you do.
Speaker 4: But that's okay. Well, I understand how I can back it up. Do you want me to?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to ruin your day I'm going to ruin your day. You brought a handkerchief, all right, I was prepared for this.
Speaker 6: Food price is under Biden up twenty percent, Gas price is thirty eight Mortgage rates one.
Speaker 4: Hundred and sixty percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, prices are gone.
Speaker 6: Drug ODE's up thirty six percent. Okay, car insurance one hundred and twenty five percent.
Speaker 4: These are folks. They have to spend that month.
Speaker 5: There's no question that post pandemic, this country and the world have suffered.
Speaker 4: Trump two years of post pandemic.
Speaker 5: Right, but Trump ran an eight trillion dollar deficit, He spent one point seven trillion on tax cuts, he deregulated, inflation was cut.
Speaker 4: One point five percent when he walked out the door.
Speaker 1: But look at it in relation to the world.
Speaker 5: I respectfully say, yes, inflation was too high and that hurts American consumers.
Speaker 1: You want this, So what did Biden do to create that? Though?
Speaker 14: I don't know, and that's what I would have asked. I'm look so basically you wrote.
Speaker 1: Down a piece of paper, but you didn't look up the answer.
Speaker 4: I know I'm not going to need to. I want to ask Biden about that. Okay, So you're saying, why did Biden do it. I'm not gonna hear it and show mine.
Speaker 1: That was a very poor impression of how I've been saying.
Speaker 4: It's like, hey, that's.
Speaker 6: Nothing, okay, all right, So my job as a journalist is to say, when did you get that job done?
Speaker 1: You really make it too easy. We're gonna talk tomorrow. We gotta go. This is too long. Thank you for being okay.
Speaker 5: Funding the Presidents comes out September tenth, available for pre order, Bill Riley.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a quick break. We'll toss why do I talk with?
Speaker 5: But before we go, we're gonna check in with your host Court tomorrow night, mister Ronnick Chang.
Speaker 1: Obviously big things going on. What do you have planned for Wednesday night?
Speaker 12: Well, John, I'm gonna be talking about jd Vance, the perfect vice presidential pig for the Trump ticket. He's tall, he's bearded, and most importantly, he's loyal.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean.
Speaker 5: About loyal, like he thought Trump was basically Hitler a few years ago.
Speaker 12: So John, come on, okay, if that's the standard, then nobody is loyal, all right? Like, who hasn't called the boss Hitler at some point?
Speaker 1: Have you caught me Hitler?
Speaker 4: Ronnick John.
Speaker 12: Now is a time for unity.
Speaker 1: Okay, it doesn't matter what people said yesterday.
Speaker 12: And yes, I do accept your nomination as vice president of the Daily Show.
Speaker 1: Thank you everybody.
Speaker 15: Else, And if I may, before the benediction, give you this promise. You're gonna be so blessed, you're gonna be tired of being blessed.
Speaker 1: I guarantee it.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever.
Speaker 1: You get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and streamful episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 4: Paramount Podcasts