Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, The Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg data.
Speaker 2: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today in Europe. We're joined now by Bloomberg. Sam Unstead Morning. Sam Shell's earnings out this morning. Lots of headwinds.
Speaker 3: How do they do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, lots of headwinds for the oil industry generally. I've had quite a lot of reporting. Excellent mobils out later on today for those of you who can keeping an eye. Shell overall pretty good. So the really key thing with the oil industry and oil companies in particular is buybacks. They kept the pace of their buybacks up three and a half billion dollars a quarter. That was sort of broadly expected but still welcome from investors. But the really key thing is that their cash flow was pretty good. So although they've had to take on a bit more debt because the oil market has weakened a little bit and the macro picture is weakened, they are still keeping up the backpace and the cash flow is coming through, so there's a sort of confidence that they may well be able to navigate this a little bit better than some of their peers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's interesting also the kind of oil market moves that we've been tracking after the kind of big leg lower on the worries around the US recession. Actually they have come up a little bit because of the possibility of US China trade talks and maybe even fresh sanctions or at least a threat of that against Iranian oil flows. So you've also seen a bigger move in terms of the oil market as the backdrop. Moving though to the chemicals, BASF they say in their earnings that they're still waiting to see a reaction.
Speaker 2: Yes, So this has been kind of a trend across the earning season of companies saying that right now things are so uncertain that it's really difficult for us to give a very strong guidance. Very few companies completely pulling their guidance, but definitely putting a lot of uncertainty over all of it. And I think BASF is often a very good company to look at in these things, and chemicals companies in general, because they play such a key role in the supply chain that isn't often sort of noticed quite so clearly. So BASF saying that, you know, prices have come under pressure in the first quarter, but now they have to wait and see as exactly what kind of effect tarraphs are going to have over the course of the rest of the year. So really in line with a lot of their industrial peers, you know, over the course of this earning season, uncertainty overshadowing basically everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uncertainty, uncertainty, ncerty.
Speaker 2: But that West, they say their earnings point them in a good direction. Almost no uncertainty from that West actually. So in Thatwest again we've had all the UK banks reporting over the course of this week that West pretty strong results again, big boots from mortgage lending. We've seen that, you know, the run up to the stamp duty threshold there was a huge rise in mortgage lending, saw that mployees. We've seen that in that West as well. For that West, you know, in comparison to the ones that have come earlier in the week, they have a much lower in fact almost no international exposure in the way the Barclays does. They also have a much smaller motor finance business, you know, compared to Lloyd's which is the largest lender in that space, and there's an ongoing probe there, so their results much cleaner. Really. The only drawback that analysts have said, and you know shares are up this morning, is that actually it could have been slightly better on the guidance. So the guidance has been at the top end of expectations, analysts saying that it is very possible over the course of the rest of the year they're actually top that that guidance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got four more Bank of England quarter point ratecar are so priced in for this year. So yes, it's interesting, isn't it. And also those high street lenders seem to be entering a phase of a bit of a battle in terms of the mortgage market at least, which is quite they.
Speaker 2: Do, they do. But there's something that's quite interesting within the UK banks, and this has been talked about by analysts for quite a bit, is the structural hedges right that they have in place. These are these fixed income portfolios that help to smooth out fluctuations in lending rates. The UK banks have looked at as being as having much better structural hedges in place than a lot of the European banks. So although the rate cut bets have ramped up for the UK banks, they should be able to navigate that at least through to twenty twenty six, fairly speaking.
Speaker 1: The Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.