Speaker 1: Hey, that, folks, some of the biggest fears people have our fear of heights. They also have a fear of roller coaster. But what if you put those two things together.
Speaker 2: Well, most people who are afraid of heights probably don't go on roller coasts.
Speaker 3: Well that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I would argue that maybe that that's the place they feel safest. Well, they not hate everybody. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. But yes, that is one of the A lot of people will tell you they have a fear of heights, but I have. I'm not a big fan of heights at all, but I love a roller coaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. I was just thinking about that because when we were dangling off of the edge, you were genuinely like it, very much afraid, but you had roller.
Speaker 1: Coasters, roller coasters, and you know, I even enjoy it. And folks don't know the edge here in New York, how many heights?
Speaker 3: How many floors up? Is it?
Speaker 1: They built it here in Midtown? Yeah, one hundred stories, right, so they did? They have this attraction. Now you can go up on the side of a building and they strap you in. We did this on live TV, and you lot to really lean out over New York City, over Manhattan, completely dangling.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing was so we did this together, and we did it on live television. But TJ he was a good sport because he did it despite his fear. But my favorite part of it is that you were like bending your knees and trying not to lean as much as if that was going to save you if some of the equipment malfunctions.
Speaker 1: Well you didn't hear the safety briefing because they said just bend your knees and you'll be okay.
Speaker 2: Right then you'll just be able to sit back and you won't fall forward.
Speaker 1: No, it's it was terrified. It's hard to trust an apparatus. It's hard to trust that this thing is going to hold. But roller coasters, as a kid, from a kid level, absolutely loveable.
Speaker 2: Well, I've always been a believer. If you're getting on an airplane, or you're even getting in a vehicle, or you're getting into anything where there's some sort of potential for accent, you kind of have to trust the vehicle, trust the system, trust the harnesses. Yes they can be checked in double check, but at a certain point you have to suspend fear and just trust that things are going to work the way they're.
Speaker 1: Supposed to, okay, and sometimes they don't. You all see stories over the years, There's been plenty of stories. Now unfortunately, there have been tragedies at amusement parks over the years where people have died on rides from a malfunction or something has happened. But more often than that, we do see video of rides and people getting stuck on those rides at amusement park. That seems like it happens kind of a lot lot.
Speaker 2: Do that go through your mind because we have been on rides together, Does that ever go through your mind when you're on the ride? What would happen.
Speaker 1: If I come up with a plan for myself it doesn't work. You know what I get more worried about is ride in the subway I do. I'll go on the subway and I know the exits, how many people are here, that guy's wearing that coat. This person's probably a bigger threat. I do that on a train, ye on a subway.
Speaker 2: There are so many places where you could beach wrapped and it would be scary and having a plan is actually really smart.
Speaker 3: But the but as far as rollercoasters.
Speaker 2: Go or yeah, what would your plan be?
Speaker 1: I have always thought, well, if it gets stuck here, am I able to climb down? I always think can I? Because most you're not supposed to be able to get out of those because they lock you in right right, that's a safety thing because they don't want people jumping out.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yeah, I'm looking for falling out.
Speaker 3: Yes there is that.
Speaker 1: But I'm looking for ay through. I guess gain the set. But it does doesn't seem like over the years we see a bunch of stores. Maybe it's not that many, but well, let's just.
Speaker 2: We worked in morning television that was like, other than a shark attack, a malfunctioning ride with video to a company, it is like warning show of gold because everyone can imagine what it would be like and it's scary, so it's relatable immediately and people do exactly what you just said. Think about what would I do now all of those scenarios. There could be a situation in which you could take action, But what happens if you're suspended upside down?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What can you do?
Speaker 3: Have you been stuck on a ride before?
Speaker 2: I have never been stuck, thankful, and I ride a lot of rides so my time could be coming. How about you.
Speaker 1: It got stuck before we got in the middle of the ride. This happened with Sabine.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It was a bad experience.
Speaker 1: At at at an amusement park to where we arrived. I was telling you this earlier we arrived. Ok, it was a six Flags it's just still. It was the Six Flags over Georgia, which was at the exit where my house was located in Atlanta. So I passed this place. I had to pass it almost twice a day at least, and never went. In seventeen years, not one time did I visit the Six Flags over Georgia. Sabine and I finally, let's just do it. This wasn't just a couple of years ago maybe finally going. We were so excited, just the two of us get out there. We're passing the first set of rides, and you know the rides with the swings, you just sit in the swing. It's kind of chain and just go around. Simple but kind of thrilling. And people were just dangling. The ride wasn't going, and people's legs were just they were just there dangling.
Speaker 2: Twisting in the wind.
Speaker 1: They weren't twisting. They wish they were twisting. The ride was stuck, We wanted to ride it. We kept going, rode something that came back. It was still stuck, so at least twenty minutes, so if we had maybe tried that ride, we'd gotten stuck. We did a roller coaster later where we're sitting on strapped in waiting. It jerks a little bit and then they make an announcement the ride is being closed for maintenance. But yeah, we got into another line for another roller coaster and they shut that one down. We just had a bad day. Yeah, so yeah, So no, I hadn't gotten stuck, but I guess those were some close calls. It feels like Final Destination, you know those movies, right like it was my time. Yes, I avoided it, so it's coming. But to your point, the one I don't like the upside down ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah they're scary, but I do like them. But I have always had that thought the scary when I've been on I don't know if anyone has been overseas to any amusement park, but I don't know if they have the same standards, and it just makes me nervous. I have my daughter always trying to convince me to go on the scariest upside down ride, and eventually I always weigh in, so or give in and say fine, I'll do it. But this some I'm sure many of you have seen what happened. It was last week, correct in right outside of Portland, Oregon, and these I think it was almost thirty people were on a very scary ride and it swings and you go upside down. I think you can do like a one to eighty or three sixty. You have your choice of just how scary you want it to be. But the ride malfunctioned right at the top with twenty eight thirty people just suspended upside down for almost thirty minutes. That might not people like, oh it was thirty minutes, you know, that probably felt like thirty years, and you don't know if you're gonna get rescued in a safe manner.
Speaker 3: High up in the air. Were they on this one?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I saw the video and it looked like hundreds of feet or at least, Yeah, it was up there.
Speaker 1: It was high, so I think it was at the top. So two of the people who were on there, everybody got oh, should say that everybody got off, no injuries, the fire department came. Everybody got down eventually, but I can't imagine the trauma of those thirty minutes. They have a story to tell now, and they're here to tell it to us. Yes, two people who were dangling upside down are now back on their feet and sitting very safely and comfortably at their home. They're joining us now, all the way from Portland. Jordan Arding and Daniel Allen, teenagers here who liked the ride. Amusement park rides. So, Jordan, tell me now, what's you're feeling about amusement park rides these days?
Speaker 4: Definitely different than before. I used to love amusement parks. I like wasn't I would go on any ride. I wasn't scared, like obviously you're like a little bit like nervous, but used to go on it like there's not previous to this, there wasn't a ride that I was ever like, oh no, you're never gonna catch me on that. But definitely after this experience, it's a little different. You definitely have a lack of trust with how safe it is and everything.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. Daniel, how about you?
Speaker 5: I would say that, like, yeah, I'm a big thrill seeker for rides before, but I feel like after I've understood what being suspended upside down on a ride, you notice that these malfunctions can really happen to anybody, and especially a ride like this has put a lot of like fear and my are about more upside down rides, but I'd like to say I still go on some in the future because I feel like rides are just awesome.
Speaker 2: He's seventeen, by the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there it is that I mentioned, But but you said this ride it fear is in the name, right, isn't it? Gold Atmosphere is the name, and you will help us with the description a little bit.
Speaker 3: It go.
Speaker 1: It takes you hundreds of feet in the air. You're essentially in a chair seated position. You're locked in, but it's spinning everybody around and around while it's going up and down.
Speaker 3: Do I have it right? You will? It just makes you want to make sure set the scene.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like a swinging pendulum, so like in the middle, like it just kind of goes like swinging, and like the entire thing in the bottoms also spinning, so it's like it's consistently moving the entire ride, and then like and how the machine works is like since it swings up and down, up and down, once it gets to a certain height where it hits like like where it likes trying to go upside down, it's kind of just like gravity that moves it, like pushes it. Like there's no motor making it go around and around. There's just a motor that's like keeps it like to like swinging back and forth. But once it goes upside down, the reason I got even stuck was because the balance of it was perfectly balanced upside down, and that's why it happened.
Speaker 2: It lost momentum. Wow that's crazy, Okay, Oh wow, I did. I didn't realize that either. So I would like to know at what point, Jordan, I mean it for you might think, oh, we're a little stuck. People might have even had a nervous laughter, like oh okay, we're gonna be moving again soon, and then you don't move. At what point were you actually afraid? Jordan?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 4: So I mean it is meant to stop for a second, so like you don't really even think anything of it.
Speaker 6: You like close your.
Speaker 4: Eyes and you like grab on your seat, so it's like a few seconds, like three seconds, five seconds.
Speaker 6: Whatever, because that's it's meant to stop. You don't really panic at first.
Speaker 4: It's just supposed to give you that like heart drop to your stomach feeling of like oh it stuck, but it's not, you know. So you're sitting there for like three seconds, and then you wait for it to drop and it doesn't see you wait for like fifteen seconds, and I think at like fifteen seconds I realized I was like, oh, this isn't right. But I wasn't like panicking yet. I was like, okay, like it's just gonna sings back down.
Speaker 6: It's fine.
Speaker 4: But then it's like one minute and then it's three minutes and it just keeps going on. But I think I started panicking at like I definitely knew something was wrong I like fifteen seconds, but then like I don't think I started panicking for like a minute, and then at like three minutes, I'm like actually like concerned, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And again you just said you knew if it's designed to stop, but you knew something was wrong after fifteen seconds, So for either one of you all hear how it was that quick, even you said fifteen. Okay, we're twenty seconds. Now, we're thirty seconds. Hmmm, we're forty five second. Was it that clear to you all? Had you written it before to know that, okay.
Speaker 3: Something's up?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we've both written it before, not like together the same day or anything. We've just previously ridden the ride like separately.
Speaker 6: But once, I mean, you know, it's meant to it's not even meant to really stop.
Speaker 4: It's supposed to be rotating on its axis still at the top, like it's supposed to be spinning while you're upside down, and then that's how it gets the momental to swing back downs because the way like disproportionates or whatever and swings back down. But it was all kids on the ride because there was a eighth grade celebration for Portland Public School happening, So we were like the oldest people on the ride, and like the young these people were like fourteen, so like averagely, we were all about the same size, you know what I mean. So it literally just perfectly gravitized upside down.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, so you knew something was wrong after the first minute, basically, did you go into a full panic mode? What were other people doing? I read. Tell me if this is true that people not only were screaming, crying, but actually vomiting. I mean, can you give us an idea of what was happening and how it progressed?
Speaker 5: That kind of happened like a few minutes in. I can't tell you about the kid that vomited. I don't know how because he projected out vomited all over himself, not even upside down, Like how do you do it on yourself when you're upside down?
Speaker 7: So that was a little confusing. So I don't know when he threw on himself.
Speaker 1: Maybe he pop during working.
Speaker 7: I was like, he's probably threw upon himself.
Speaker 4: I was swinging, But yeah, I mean, I wouldn't say either of us went too like a panic attack, but you know, you're definitely panicked. People were passing out, Like you said, people threw up. It's just like, I'm sure if we had been upside down much longer, we would have thrown up.
Speaker 6: I mean, and then a lot, I mean, not even a lot longer.
Speaker 4: Shortly after shortly after that, Oh my gosh, I'm sure we would have passed out. Because you're not your body's not designed.
Speaker 6: To be held like that.
Speaker 4: Like you can't even breathe because of the way that the harness is pressing on you and all the weight is in your shoulders and chest. Like I did not throw up, but I was definitely like gagging and gasping for air towards the end.
Speaker 1: Could you all tell everybody was struggling the way you all were physically? And again y'all talk about kids, like, I guess they had to be parents or somebody trying to keep them calm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had actually to keep some kids calm, and like everybody, I tried to lead a prayer for everybody around. But like you could definitely tell how lots of kids were like freaking out. Even I was freaking out. It's not like I could just handle that normally I was suspended upside down on a ride. But yeah, there was people struggling in pain. Definitely physically because those restraints on you are pushing all against your like physical like arteries, like your like main arteries all next to your like hip and all that. So like when I came down, it was really hard on my bladder and like everything because those are like there's a lot of nerve damage definitely after the ride. But you could tell people were like in pain. There wasn't, but there was definitely some people like taking it very calm. I would say, like, I remember some person sitting next to her was just like completely quiet the entire time, Like nuh.
Speaker 7: I was like, what, Like, how are you just quiet? We are upside down? Like I wish I could have been like that.
Speaker 4: I even like tried to talk to her. I was like, are you how are you so calm right now? And she she literally told me she's inn eighth grader er, She's about to go into her freshman year summer after her it's good year, And she was like, well, why would I be freaking out if there's nothing we can do. I'm like, because we're upside out.
Speaker 2: I mean that's incredible. I would have been freaking out. I mean the blood even rushing to your head. I was imagining how did it feel? I mean, you guys were describing it was hard to breathe because the way you have to be strapped in to be securely riding that ride. How did yeah, the blood rushing to your head? Like did it even? Was it even confusing at some point mentally because all the blood's going into your head.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, definitely. I just remember my head feeling like foggy, like you can't even really think, you know what I mean, especially after so long, You're just like get me down, Like that's really all you can think is like I need to get down because you like really go into like a fight or flight almost because like I mean, you can't fight.
Speaker 2: Or li though, neither option available to you, which is very frustrating and scary. Were they talking, I know they had like a megaphone. What were they saying to you? Did it help? Did it make you all feel better?
Speaker 4: I mean they had megaphones, but we like could not really we heard them, but it was really hard to understand what they were saying and the things they were saying. It was just like okay because they were just saying like, oh, take deep breaths and everything.
Speaker 5: I'm like, like I cannot take an aps, like I am restrained here. I'm sorry, but maybe you could take the deep breath for me because I was. I was druggling already, have asthma.
Speaker 1: Oh hell, you don't tell how high up you're at the top of the ride, ninety nine feet up so you all can see could you see a crowd gathering down below. It just you all became a spectacle.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, people are like literally you just look down and you see like a block of phones recording you.
Speaker 2: Wow, everyone's down below looking up at you with their phones recording.
Speaker 4: Whining and like laughing and telling their friends like literally laughing.
Speaker 6: I don't like you can hear them.
Speaker 2: Did did you all have your phones on you? Or No?
Speaker 6: You didn't have If we did, everyone not have phones anymore, you would.
Speaker 3: Have dropped them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did anyone have their phone up there?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: The only thing that someone had was a stopwatch, and they recorded how long that we were up there.
Speaker 7: That's it in time, thirty six minutes, thirty sixth Oh, can you.
Speaker 1: Take me through the progression of how it feels to be held upside down for thirty minutes? Like after five you start feeling this? After ten, can you kind of just progress to where it got I assume it had to get to a point that you thought the pain was at some point going to be unbearable.
Speaker 5: Definitely, Like, like I remember the first minute, I was just like completely fine, like everything. You're just like very confused on what's going on. But like going through the minutes, like five minutes in, I would definitely like my head started to feel lightheaded. You start to feel a blood kind of rushing to that part of your body. No like pain in my body yet, but like I could tell like I was using a lot of muscles and like, yeah, definitely trying to keep myself up and like breathing. But like ten minutes in, my legs are starting to feel a little numb buzzing, and my like deep breathing is like starting to get heavier and heavier. And I would say, like fifteen minutes in, I'm definitely like struggling and everything, and you start to feel parts of your body like go numb, and like when you're like twenty minutes in, I mean like your entire body is like almost like numb up to like where like there are strain is like to your shoulders, to your hips and everything, and you're just like struggling to breathe, and you just keep like thinking and saying things to like keep yourself awake and going what.
Speaker 1: Were those things that you were saying? Both maybe both of you and you all were sitting you or next to each other, you could communicate together easily. But you said, Dan, you said kind of just start talking to yourself. What were you saying to YOUSEA.
Speaker 5: Well, I was kind of just like I'm gonna be fine, Like I'm like, I'm gonna get back down with my family, Like I need to see my family, this is all of them. I kind of started having a conversation with Jordan and me and her were talking about like school and like how it was and like everything, trying to be like, yeah, it was pretty far in school.
Speaker 7: I actually really enjoyed it. But I'm upside down right now. But I'm just letting you know I really did have a good time this year in school.
Speaker 2: Trying to take your mind off things, Jordan were at any point, you know, did your mind go to a dark place like We're not going to get down to pass out. I'm not gonna make it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like almost immediately, that's where your mind goes because you see on the news. You never think it's gonna be you, but like when you're in that situation, that's there's no other place for your mind.
Speaker 2: So what thoughts, So what did your mind do when you so, yes, I can imagine I would have gone to that same dark place like I'm gonna die up here. Oh my god, what what did you think? And has that changed how you live now? Having had those real thoughts that death was possible, maybe even probably definitely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I mean I don't know how like realistic this is, but I was just scared that, like the sense the machine malfunctioned. I was scared that the harnesses were gonna like unlatch and we were all just literally gonna like fall and pancake or our dive, even though there is like a seatbelt strap that like buckles at the bottom. So like hypothetically, if it did like unlock or whatever, we would still be held in it would just definitely not be as sturdy or whatever. But yeah, I definitely was scared for my life.
Speaker 2: But I'm sorry, Well, I was wondering, once you have that real fear and it's based in truth, I mean, I didn't even think about that. What you just said, that maybe the harnesses could unlock a bit malfunctioned in one way, Why wouldn't it just malfunction in every way? So that Wow, that's very scary. But now that you're back down on Tara Firma on on on solid Earth, have has that experience changed how you operate how you live. I mean, you remember that feeling of I didn't get to do this. What if I never get to do that? All those things start, you know, just washing over your brain. Has it changed how you live?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Oh no, you some yeah in some ways definitely.
Speaker 5: Like when I got down, I definitely like was very emotional, like you kind of like break down. You don't break down in tears, but you break down like this, like you just like kind of feel like relief.
Speaker 7: Like the biggest relief you've probably ever felt in your life.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't think I've ever felt like that.
Speaker 5: And once I was finally down, I was like just sitting down and I was like kind of like like not like crying, but I was like like kind of like whatever that deep pant whatever you get into and like where you're just like you're really happier down, and I started like realizing how happy it is to be like living, Like I mean, to think you had a thought of death and now you're alive.
Speaker 7: It's crazy.
Speaker 5: They keep going like you, I don't think I've ever had a thought that I was ever going to die in my life like that, and then knowing that I lived it, it is just yeah, it definitely keeps your mind thinking like, wow, how important life is?
Speaker 1: Sure you mentioned thirty six minutes, right, that's the official count with the stop Watch, right that's uh, yeah, that's but it was about thirty minutes. And in that where did hope start coming in? Based on what you were seeing below, like activity, if you saw a fire truck or firefighters or where did some hope start to creep in?
Speaker 5: I would say definitely, Like I only had hope at the start of the ride. When we came by the fire department came, like I had no hope because like I'm just like watching them and they come in and they're just slowly walking and they're not even.
Speaker 7: And I'm like, come on, guys, this is our rus.
Speaker 2: Get me down.
Speaker 5: I said, they're not even Yeah, I ers said, they're not even like working on the machine. It was actually the maintenance cre at Oaks Park. So I'm like, what even is this fire department doing? Like, I'm like, why is the maintenance at Oaks Park working on it? So I guess actually the maintenance guys that Oaks Park took us down. They actually figured out later and all the fire department was there for is for like when we got down, like to like do a check up on us and everything, and if that they didn't get us down, they were gonna take us down with ropes, I guess I heard. I'm like, with ropes? How do they strap you out of harness and take you out of a rope?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 7: What are they?
Speaker 1: You've seen that in movies? I think I don't think they do it in real life.
Speaker 2: I cannot even imagine how that was.
Speaker 6: And we didn't learn that until like days later.
Speaker 2: Actually, Wow, when you were up there, I was fascinated. You said some people did pass out you thought you were getting close to it. How many, like how many people passed out while they were up there?
Speaker 7: I would say in probably like six five people and not a ton.
Speaker 5: There was someone, well, there was one person with a big medical problem that did pass out and they were like rushed to the the hospital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it is amazing. Everyone everyone was okay, do you all did you did you have a group hug afterwards like you all got down. Was there a moment where you guys just got to take it in together as a group. Did you get anyone's phone numbers? Lifelong friends? I don't know, just having the shared experience.
Speaker 7: Sadly, No, they were like all very very young kids.
Speaker 5: There was young one kid I gave a hug too, but like some of the kids up on the ride, I'm not gonna lie, like they were pretty interesting students, like I remember. I remember I got down and like we're like all still like kind of like feeling relief. And this one kid's just like standing in the corner like and like she says something like to our friend. She's like, he's like, wait, you're fourteen because the kid looks like he's like, I'm sorry, he looks like he's eight years old. And her friend's like, shut up up and like gets all mad in her face. I'm like, what else you're proby guys.
Speaker 4: Like okay, not to be disrespectful by any means. But he was so sure, like he was little. So I told him, I was like, oh my gosh, like are you okay? Like you're little, Like are you okay? And he's like I'm fourteen. Oh, He's like, oh he's fourteen, so you can just shut up.
Speaker 2: Wow. So there wasn't a camaraderie or a spirit of thank god we all got through this together. Wow. Quite the going to check on him.
Speaker 3: I was trying to yell.
Speaker 1: Came down and hated each other. Give me away from these people.
Speaker 2: Beer brings out the best and worst in people, apparently.
Speaker 3: Well, how did they think?
Speaker 1: You said? The maintenance folks got it down, so they essentially got the ride operating again, right, and you know how did it go?
Speaker 3: How did it work?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: I mean essentially they kind of just like took a big crowbar, I guess, and pushed it so it swung back.
Speaker 6: Down, I.
Speaker 1: Know, but it ended up going back to it's the position it was in when you first boarded, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it had to we had to finish the ride. It just it swung until it's.
Speaker 2: Oh you ride the ride after that?
Speaker 3: How fun? Was that?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 6: The best way to come down?
Speaker 3: Did did they let you all know that? Wait? Say that again?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, what did you say, Daniel?
Speaker 7: I said?
Speaker 5: I was feeling the thrill seek of the ride again. I was screaming and cheering.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, we were screaming and cheering because we were gonna live.
Speaker 1: Did they let you all know what the bullhorns that that was the plan or the machine or just started moving again? And y'all didn't know if you were actually going down or it's gonna break again or what right?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, we didn't know that we were gonna be okay and that women was going to be fixed until you feel it like click into moving, Like I remember, we start moving and I literally like broke down, but you're so dehydrated, and then like dran, there's no tears.
Speaker 6: You're just like like relieved, Yes, so relieved you're gonna like live.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm always curious in situations like this, there's always one class clown. Was anybody up there cracking jokes or trying to keep everybody loose or anything like that.
Speaker 5: No, everybody was pretty straight face serious. They getting next to me though, he was like he was like, you look a lot like my friend, and he like started telling me everything about his friend and kind of just like talking. Everybody I think was talking to each other. I think the kid that was did throw up on himself. I heard some jokes get made about him, because how do you project awl vomit.
Speaker 7: All over yourself? I'm pretty interested in that, Like.
Speaker 4: Imagine we're upside down right now, like we're looking at the ground and he vomits on himself, Like, how.
Speaker 2: Did that work with gravity? How did that work?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 2: It doesn't make any sense, but thank god it didn't get on anyone else. Uh, were you guys immediately able to call your parents? And what was that like when you got down?
Speaker 5: I had immediately called my mom And even when she called her parents, parents actually didn't really have crazy if a reaction.
Speaker 7: They were like, you're alive, I'm glad, and then that was pretty much like it was like, it's like, lukey did not care. I'm like our siblings, like she told her brother, and her brother's like, you know, you're still alive. Okay, why should I be worried about you?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 1: But they give you a little more grace once they saw the video and know how big of a story. No still now, no, really they did not care.
Speaker 7: I was like, yeah, have been suspended upside down.
Speaker 6: Like you go sad down and see how it is?
Speaker 1: Well, I only I only have a couple more things here. One is something you said earlier, Daniel. You said you you wanted to say a prayer or you wanted to include anybody while you were up there that maybe wanted to be involved and just saying a prayer. What why did your I don't know your background, how you were raised in the church and everything else. But but why was that something you went towards for for or for I guess for comfort at the time. And what was that prayer?
Speaker 5: Well, I think I went towards it for comfort because even when a lot of people are in like tough like stress situations, they don't even some people don't might not even believe in God. But putting your hope in the littlest things when you're in a tough position, even just like God is like a good thing. And I don't even have a strong background as God, but I know even saying like something that I can put my hope into does give me the littlest of hope. And I definitely that like sees meeting throughout people. I'd say, and what was what was the rest of your question?
Speaker 3: You said, well, no, no, what the prayer was.
Speaker 5: Oh the prayer. The prayer was just like saying like, we're all going to get through this. You know, this is these are like a tough this is like a tough time. We are dangling up in the air kind of just like saying like what we're going through, but we are going to make it through. And relieving, like all of your stress, and I kind of like let the kid next to me speak, you know, say what he wanted to say, and I kind of just left it off with amen. And I don't know how many people followed around like around because I can't see everybody, but I don't know how many people held hands together. But I did try to hold hands with Jordan and the kid next to me, and anythink he held hands with the kid beside him.
Speaker 2: That's so beautiful that I'm sure had to give so much comfort to people, especially the younger kids who were around you, who I'm sure were incredibly scared. So that was so kind of you, and that's a beautiful thing that came out of it. I love that you did that.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I would love to know what your takeaway is from all of this, Jordan, Do you have a takeaway?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: I have a takeaway.
Speaker 4: I just don't know if I can really trust those rides anymore. Like, honestly, you will not catch me on then, at least anytime soon, maybe not ever. It's just you think you're gonna be so safe and then when you're not, Like that's just kind of a trust. You can't really gain back in my opinion, you know what I mean, Like, I truly feared for my life in that moment one and I don't want.
Speaker 6: To go through that again.
Speaker 3: Daniel.
Speaker 5: I'd say my takeaway is probably definitely like, know what you're getting yourself into.
Speaker 7: You can't trust every ride you're about to go on to. There's a I mean, it's.
Speaker 5: Called astro fear. It says fear in the name, So maybe you should listen a little more to the finance what this ride might be getting you into. But I definitely would say trust what you're going on. Know what you're getting yourself into. It's not always the safest option. Even when you go to have a fun day, you don't you don't know, something could malfunction. I think it's perfect in this world. There's problems, definitely, and they need to get fixed.
Speaker 6: It was our first ride of the day too. We had just got to the park.
Speaker 2: It was opening day too, correct, it was. It was brand new for the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Oaks Ride, I think Oaks Park is the name of the amusement park. They call you guys up and say, hey, we're going to be reopening the ride atmosphere. We're gonna have a big celebration, and we want you to to be the first too, to take a ride as we reopen. Would you do I'd be like.
Speaker 7: Did y'all?
Speaker 3: Fix?
Speaker 7: Says right, I'm looking down.
Speaker 2: Jordan. I saw you shaking your head violently.
Speaker 6: No, oh, absolutely not.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm just I'm good on carnival rides and all of that for right now. I mean, like you could catch me in Disneyland, because that's like not scary, that's just fun, big like thrill seeking rides like that, like the pure adrenaline rush rides. I'm okay for a while at least, like even like carnivals and county fairs and everything, Like I think I'm okay.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good policy, uh, Jordan, and I am on board with that. But think it's good to see you all on on solid ground.
Speaker 3: You're sitting.
Speaker 1: We we were gonna turn this uh we could see you on the screen here. We're gonna turn it upside down to try to get a good vantage point of you tube from how it was. But it's good ride, and really it's to be honest with you, you never know where you're gonna find wisdom. I find wisdom sometimes can passed for your old kid. He might say something on the street here in New York. But you two are young, your teenagers, seventeen and eighteen. But you all said several things along the way that we were very mature that all of us can take away with us. And I'm just very impressed that had you all handled yourselves during it, and how you're handling yourselves now, and just the composure and for you, Daniel, to go up there and try to comfort others, comfort kids that were younger than you got just I just think it's huge, and you will sound very mature and to have turned something now it'll impact your lives. But you all said a few things here that that are worth repeating, and a lot of more people are going to hear it. So I just want to commend you both for being the kids you are.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you all well, Daniel and Jordan I helpe you have a peaceful rest of your summer, and thank you for being on the podcast with us. And we're just so glad you and everyone else was safe.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you, Yes, Sam, guys for you, thank you they were great.
Speaker 1: Really, that was I love it. I didn't realize initially that they were seventeen and eighteen, and there was a there's a youth, there was a although there's something to the way they have lived life and see life coming that I think makes them the perfect most qualified people to get stuck. I would not have handled myself that well.
Speaker 2: I would not have handled myself as well either, and I don't care how I would tears definitely would have been flowing. I would have probably gone into full panic. So yeah, and I think maybe that that when you're that age, you do feel indestructible and you don't think bad things are going to happen. So when something bad happens, they were able to take that positive, youthful energy and turn it into something good for everyone around there.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness, this park did not have thirty forty year olds up.
Speaker 2: There in a death spiral up.
Speaker 1: There's no way we would have tore that park up after we got that, But congrats to them for it, and again everybody was Okay, these things do happen from time to time, and who knows why, they'll do their investigation and all that, but glad to.
Speaker 2: See them down all right, Well, thank you all for listening. Hope you got some great nuggets out of their youthful wisdom. We certainly did, so have a wonderful day, and we'll see you soon