Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host, Colleen Witt, and today we have a very special guest. I'm very excited about this guest because I traditionally have like a little bit of a bias against younger folk. But this this is Skyler Paycheck, entrepreneur, franchisee, owner of Smoothie King for franchises. Let's go self made. Obviously he's on the show. We are about to eat an Eating while Broke dish. But I'm really excited to have you food all the way down from Texas. Yes, and I'm excited to be schooled. And you know, potentially we can all learn how to potentially own a Smoothie King franchise. But you also do other stuff outside typical entrepreneur. What other businesses do you have?
Speaker 2: I got my hands in everything, franchises in the stock market, like crazy, call me mister Flippick because I'm always flipping something. I'm always finding ways to make money. That's why I'm here to educate you guys on how to make money as well.
Speaker 1: Is that why your name is Skyler Paycheck? Hey?
Speaker 2: Because I'm all about that paycheck.
Speaker 1: I was like Scaler we're going by your last names. Like, no, it's paycheck. So what are you gonna have me eating today?
Speaker 2: Man, We're keeping it real simple, real broke. So we're gonna have tacos with beans, Mexican rice. We're gonna have a little avocado. You gotta have the Friedo's. You gotta crunch those in there with the saucer, real broken.
Speaker 1: And you got some avocado, you.
Speaker 2: Know, you know, Hey, avocado's going up, by the way.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but you know what I've learned, even on this show, you can actually eat healthy on a budget. So I'm glad you threw some avocado in there. I wasn't too sure about the friedos. Guys, don't judge me, but I was in the store asking like, is Friedo's like a special term? Are we talking Frido's chips? And then I actually had to like Google. I was like, I ain't seen fredos in so long.
Speaker 2: Got in there.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm excited, so go ahead, start cooking. Oh and then he has the corn. Is the corn tortillas usually used?
Speaker 2: I mean flower, but we're gonna rock with corn today. It's all good.
Speaker 1: I love flower tortillas. But I was up in the store, asking people like were you people go better with his tacos? There's like cord all right. So while you're going ahead started these guys, he's pouring the olive oil up in here.
Speaker 2: Gotta add to olive oil.
Speaker 1: And then he's got the refried beans on the stove. So there's no meat, is there? Is there no meat because it's affordability or is it like you don't eat meat?
Speaker 2: No meat because I'm vegan man la la style vegan oka And yeah, I've been like that for quite some time now actually, and so yeah, man, it's all about health reasons and I'll get into that later on down the line. Certain things happen in my life to make make me go vegan.
Speaker 1: And how long have you been vegan for?
Speaker 2: And I've been vegan for about twelve years.
Speaker 1: Now, twelve years. Isn't that like half your life?
Speaker 2: It's a lone part of my life. But but I mean he's starting early. Yeah, it's it's because it's very important again, health reasons in my family and everything like that. So I have to get to it.
Speaker 1: So just because you're young, I want a good picture of your family life. How many siblings, parents, married, divorced, so.
Speaker 2: My parents are married. Rest in peace to my mom. She's no longer here. But my parents, it's all good. My parents were married, and I have two siblings. Rest in peace to one of my brothers as well. And we'll get into.
Speaker 1: All that lady trauma going on here.
Speaker 2: Say it was not easy. Let me tell y'all. Nothing comes easy. And even though you get knocked down, you gotta get back up and you gotta keep going.
Speaker 1: Okay. So, so you have two siblings living right now.
Speaker 2: So one's living in one of them. He's no longer here.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you and your pops now.
Speaker 2: Well me, my pop's in one of my other brothers, my oldest brother.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, so you your pop okay, got it? Got it? Wow? Okay. So we're starting out right out the gates. Okay, So take me back to what was going on during this dish.
Speaker 2: So this is this is high school scholar here, and what I mean by that is I always again been about that check. I always been about that money. So back in high school, I had the same mentality I have now. I had it all the way. Back in high school, I was a straight hustler the legal way. I was the person in school that was selling CDs, I was selling candy. I would buy shoes water shoes to school, have everyone saying, man, no, shoes look nice. Then I would sell them to them and go buy more shoes.
Speaker 1: Now, but how are you selling them to mark them up if they could buy them from the store.
Speaker 2: So I look at it this way. I had to fly your shoes, you know what I mean, the shoes that you can't get in them all, you know what I mean. So I was doing that, and this is the big part. While all of this was going on, I also created a music group and so I was the creator of that. We would sell CDs there. We did R and B slash rap kind of like pretty Ricky Alls. So we were doing that. But the biggest thing is we were throwing parties. We had merch. So we were doing.
Speaker 1: All in high school.
Speaker 2: All in high school.
Speaker 1: Now, is this when you had a dual.
Speaker 2: Parent home or yeah, dual parent home?
Speaker 1: So how are your parents handling like their hustling son? Are you keeping your grades up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Kid? Oh yeah, my mama was a principal, so yeah yeah, and so yeah the school the principal in the same district. So I was gonna say, yeah, all the all the principals knew about my mom and everything like that. So yeah, education was a must in the household. And yeah, they were chill about it because again I kept my grades up and I'm a good kid, you know what I mean. So I never got in trouble. And so, no, I'm the youngest, I'm the youngest.
Speaker 1: You're the youngest.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so yeah, I'm the I'm the youngest kid.
Speaker 1: Where does this entrepreneur but come from, because usually, you know.
Speaker 2: You know, it comes from my pops. My pops was still is. He He's the man, you know what I mean, He's the man when it comes to hustling and and and just knowing people. He knew everybody in the in the city.
Speaker 1: You may't want to turn that stove up, man, it's not yeah, it's not you hot to turn that you know, we taking you all the way back to last then things look like they just soaking up. Just turn it all the way up, man. Yeah right there, Okay, so continue, I'm sorry, you're trying to save you so.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, so that's going on. I'm paying it. I'm paying attention to my dad as I grow up as a kid, and again everyone in the city of Dallas knew him. So he he worked for Social Security. But here's the kicker. He was also a movie credit on K one O four FM out in Dallas, so the biggest rap station in the in the Metroplex. He was also a movie credit there, so he knew a movie critic. So think of it like a food critic, but you but you do movies.
Speaker 1: But he was at a radio station doing that.
Speaker 2: So he would he didn't work for the radio station, but he was like a little segment that they were Friday. Yeah, so he would call up there and he would review, review movies and all of that good stuff. So as a kid, you just pay attention to all those little things. And my dad was actually a pivotal part in helping me as well on my journey.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you saw him do that. Now he did the movie critic as his own thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as his own thing. The other hustles, oh yeah, for sure. Man. My dad was kind of just like me, just always hustling, always just finding the way. He would throw boat parties, swing out parties.
Speaker 1: He and you would see him do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Uh so I would see him do it and It's one of those things he never never necessarily taught me. But I'm just paying attention. You know, kids watch everything, so they pay attention to everything that you're doing. So yeah, man, I made these a little but that's all.
Speaker 1: Okay, keep trying them. It's because the heat wasn't up high, but it's about to get hot. You got time.
Speaker 2: But my point in saying all this is that was just kind of like the beginning of beginning of everything as far as man, this this one just thinks, but we're gonna keep it rocking. But anyway, but that was kind of the startup thing. So music ended up kind of fizzling out, and so at this point, I was telling myself, Okay, plan a was always to get a big record deal like everybody and buy a franchise from there, because this is something that I've always wanted to do. So all my days, I always said I was going to own a wingstop. And it's a whole funny story to that bottle way. But all my friends and everybody already knew that. So again, the music's kind of fizzling out. Things don't work our way. So I end up telling my dad, like, hey, I want to own a franchise? What do I need to do to get there? And my dad was saying, Hey, I know the perfect person for you, because again he networks with everybody. So he said, I know somebody at Wingstop. I want you to go talk to him. So he sets up the meeting.
Speaker 1: And how old are you at the time?
Speaker 2: I am, what seventeen?
Speaker 1: Okay? So your dad's taking you very serious something like that because.
Speaker 2: He always knew. I was always a person again with money, so he knew.
Speaker 1: And what were you doing with the money though? You were just reinvesting in.
Speaker 2: Or reinvesting in saving. I'm a big savior and love that. Like this meal. I ate this meal the other day because I never want to go broke. So I am. I don't spend a lot on close. I don't spend a lot on anything really okay.
Speaker 1: I like that. So you're not like flashy cars, flashy any of that. Wow. So and then I would assume based on that your credit is really good too. What school?
Speaker 2: Yo? So let me tell y'all, get a secure credit card. Go to your bank. If you don't have credit, get that secure credit card. Spend They're going to give you like a two hundred three hundred dollars limit. Once you get that secure credit card, keep it at about ten percent. Don't go any higher than ten percent. Pay that bill on time. Never let any interest build up. That credit is going to go up over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But so at the so back to the Wingstop things. So my dad only takes me there. I sit there and talk to the dude. Little little did I know that not only is he a franchise owner for Wingstop, but he is the actual person that bought franchising to the company. So oh yeah, so yeah, he's a he's a Wingstop og.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So he's talking to me, He's telling me what I need to do. I got a notepad. I'm writing everything down. I'm taking notes on everything that I need to do to become a franchise on it. So he says, once you get that done, come back and talk to me. I say, cool. So this is where things start to get This is where things starts to get interesting, and this is where the journey really starts. I end up having a job because now I'm trying to make money and get this franchise. I work at co Hunter. You know what co hunt is? Okay, So co Hunt is a shoe store. It's kind of like middle tier. Is not necessarily Gucci, Louie and all of that, but it's kind of like middle tier. So I go to and I get the job, and everything's going good. It's nothing big, just a little part time job. But my manager tells me, we get fifteen vouchers to where we can buy shoes for really cheap. So say, these three hundred and four hundred dollars shoes, you can get them for forty dollars. Now, keep in mind, but you have to of course work there. Now. Keep in mind, I'm a hustler. So I'm looking at these vouchers and I'm saying, I'm gonna bodies and I'm gonna sell them online. So I create an eBay and Amazon account. So I'm selling these shoes for really cheap, making a great profit. My boss calls me in one day and he fires me on the spot. He had a whole, a whole trail of everything I was doing on eBay and Amazon. So at this point I'm in a rut. O my back is against the wall. I'm starting to lose money. Yeah, and one thing about me, and I'm sure you can agree, nobody likes to see their bank account go backwards. So all of my different business accounts and everything, anytime I see it going this way, I'm like.
Speaker 1: You kept all your businesses separate, all of them separate, Okay, got it? And then I'm just curissed. Do you keep them in separate bank account banks too, or just separate accounts.
Speaker 2: Separate accounts, separate accounts, same bank, same bank. So h man, this is gonna be a tostado.
Speaker 1: It looks good. You gotta make the other ones like more fry though, Yeah, nah.
Speaker 2: For sure, for sure. Let me put a few more on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, save yourself, all right, continue with your.
Speaker 2: Story, all right. So look, I'm in a rut. My back is against the wall. I'm like, I gotta make something shake because I'm not making no money. I'm trying to figure things out. But I know that Skyler, you're already a hustler. You already do this for a living. Just do it to the next level. So I take some time. I take about two to three weeks and I'm researching like crazy, like what can I flip? What can I sell? I already got the eBay and Mamazon account, going, what do I need to do.
Speaker 1: Now back up a second, when you did the eBay and Amazon account. Now, I'm not a digital girl, really was there a little bit of a learning curve doing those businesses too.
Speaker 2: It's not really that hard like they And it started from me, you going back to high school selling shoes. I would just sell some of my U shoes on eBay and you.
Speaker 1: Know people will buy it.
Speaker 2: So I already kind of know the system. So I'm researching on the internet. I'm spending weeks figuring out what do people want, what do people need, and where is their angle for me to get in with eBay and Amazon, something that's not too oversaturated, something to where I can make some money. So I figure it out. I'm doing trial and error, and one thing that sticks out to me a lot is micro s D cards.
Speaker 1: At the time, so holy count your okay gone, so holy cow, all right gone.
Speaker 2: So I start with just ten ten micro SD cards and they in the first day, So I'm like, okay, that did good. I ended up getting thirty and thirty sold in a day. And keep in mind, I did all of this so tiny, so tiny, so tiny, but everybody needs them. Hell yeah them right.
Speaker 1: So you purposely look for something small at a lower price point.
Speaker 2: Something lower price point, and again something that people want and something that people need, like every day essentials.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so that looks a little too old, Vinyl. Your story is better than your cooking.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Hey, by the way, I can't cook for nothing. Just let me just say that. Okay, But so that's going. So thirty goes to one hundred, and then I keep going to the point to where it's so good that I'm selling about a thousand and two weeks, so money is coming in. So that's income source number one right there. And I want to walk out through every source of income that I had to get to where I got to so that y'all can know how to do it as well. So that's income source number one going. Now, remember I told you about stocks. I didn't know anything about stocks, so I didn't know anything about stocks. But I'm looking at it like continue, I'm I want to get into stocks. I don't know anything about stocks, but I look at it like, Okay, I got this business going, I got money to blow, so let me get into the market. And so what I do is I just kind of take a leap of faith and I just kind of start investing a little bit. So all I do is Amazon, Apple, Intesla.
Speaker 1: Stuff that you're using smart that's that's that's all.
Speaker 2: That's all I do. And I look at it like worst case scenario. I make a little bit of money out of it. So what happens is and by the way, this is something that I want. Just our culture, just minorities in general. Our parents aren't teaching us these things, like, so I think the younger generation, like us, we're doing better with kids and teaching kids. But like my parents, they just went went to work, did their thing. But I didn't know about all of this.
Speaker 1: And they probably didn't know. It's not like if they knew, they would definitely, you know, right, all right, So go back to the stocks. So you invest in these stocks, but the way you've iron it out in your head is like worst case, I'm not going to make that a high profit, but I'm at least investing in the things that I know correct that people buy.
Speaker 2: So Amma's you fast forward a little bit of time, Amazon and Apple is doing really good, and I wasn't thinking long term. So this drives me crazy to this day that I ended up selling my Amazon and my Apple and it would be worth so much money right now. But it's all good.
Speaker 1: But you never got on the bitcoin phrase.
Speaker 2: We for sure. I'm on bitcoin too. I can definitely get to that.
Speaker 1: As well, So I don't want to skip around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you're.
Speaker 1: Selling the SD cards and you're making profit, and you're you're doing the whole thing where you're like going to the do you buy them wholesale? You found a place to buy them wholesale? And then you're going to the mail every day and shipping these babos, shipping.
Speaker 2: Them straight from from the post office. So getting getting the labels on eBay because eBay they eBay and Amazon they do all that for you. All you gotta do is print out the label after you sell it, Just print out the label, ship it off. That's so crazy, that's it. So that that money's coming in. Now, let me get the Tesla because this is where things get crazy. So I hold on to it because it's not making the money that Apple and Amazon is making so and plus I like the Tesla cars, and so I hold on to it. And I'm noticing over time like this keeps going up. Like I got in it was only like one ninety eight at the time, it keeps going up and up and up, and next thing, you know, two hundred goes to three hundred, four hundred, five hundred, and it's getting close to one thousand. So as this is going on, I get I get a news alert and it says Tesla is doing a five for one stock split. Do you know? Do you know? Okay? So a stock split basically means a stock price is gonna get so high like Tesla was in the thousands.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: So to make it more affordable for the everyday person, we're gonna give the people that already bought in, We're gonna give y'all five shares for each one. So say you have thirty shares, right, So, say you have thirty shares of Tesla. After that stock split, you wake up the next morning, you're gonna have one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 1: Holy cow.
Speaker 2: So the value stays the same, everything stays the same, but now you have more shares, and now the price drops back down for the everyday average person.
Speaker 1: Okay, So is that good or is it bad?
Speaker 2: No? That's amazing, amazing for you, especially because now instead of thirty shares, now you have.
Speaker 1: One fifty, and now they're worth a little less.
Speaker 2: No, they're worth the same thing. Yeah, it's just a stock basically buying more damn right about more stocks. So now I have a whole bunch of shares and I continuing to buy more. So nonetheless, that's income source number two. Okay, so I got the eBay Amazon, and I got the stock the stock portfolio buility.
Speaker 1: And then how are you paying your bills? Are you still living at home? Are you being frugal? What are you? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm being very very And then.
Speaker 1: Your pops and everybody's watching. Are they taking notes? Are they are they watching or they they doing they mimicking?
Speaker 2: No, they're not, actually that. My pops is kind of more old school, you know what I mean. So I'm just kind of doing my thing. Just just with that. With all of that, so that's two sources of income. So all that's making money. And I just so happened to once again be with my dad. He's a hardcore sports fan, Mavericks, Cowboys, you name it. By the way, I'm hurt that the Lakers got Luca. Let me just say that on camera. I didn't like that trade, but it is what it is. So I go with him because he's renewing his season tickets because he's a season ticket hole for Mavericks. So I'm just there and at the time, you could just pick the seats, like you can just grab a paper and pick the seats. So when I'm looking around, I'm like, man, like, I see some seats that's close to court side. Let me look at the price of these. So I'm looking at the price of them. Not necessarily court side, but they're a little further back to where say you're on a date and a dude takes you on a date and he want a stunt or save you on Instagram, right, you don'na feel good? So I'm looking. I'm like, let me get those seats. So I see seats too. It was first time. I'm all about risk, So I see, I see those seats. Oh man, all right, So I see those yo? I did? I did? So I see those seats, right, and you are.
Speaker 1: You ready to sit with me? Or what? Let's let's did you want to play these or do whatever with me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Let's do What do we have to do? Is hot? All right? So take us to how we're doing this? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: I take a taco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can take whichever one I know at Okay, you want to go Crispy.
Speaker 1: I want to go Crispy. Okay, all right, there, I got my two tacos. All right, did you do three?
Speaker 2: Go here, go for it.
Speaker 1: I'm not taking a little I'm taking all your best ones.
Speaker 2: No, you're good.
Speaker 1: Here we go, three tacos. What do we do next?
Speaker 2: All right, So we're gonna get the beans and then well, I'll let you do the beans.
Speaker 1: You tell me how to do it, all right, because.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you like a lot a little.
Speaker 1: I've never done this before. I'm doing it the way you eat at home, all right. All right, So we got the beans on it, so.
Speaker 2: You just want to kind of mash those in.
Speaker 1: So this is what you be doing at home.
Speaker 2: Yo, straight up. But I do flour. So it's a little, a little bit bigger, a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: Oh the bigger taco.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But now we're gonna rock with this though.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, we got the tacos, all right, No cheese because we're vegan.
Speaker 2: No cheese because we're vegan. Okay, all right, so do we have us?
Speaker 1: They play us shout outs to the producers today.
Speaker 2: I just want a little bit of rice.
Speaker 1: There you go, Spanish rice for a reason.
Speaker 2: I mean Spanish rice is just clutch. I mean Cilantro was cool too, but Spanish rice is.
Speaker 1: Now all right. So now I'm hungry.
Speaker 2: Now we can do you want some avocados? Are they so risky? You like? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'll do it all right, No, man, some of them look risky. Nah that look that looks let me see you really nice skylet I'm gonna tell you right now, you're not going for it. Yeah, yeah, I'll skip the avocado. How is guys? He's not an a that has a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of All right, I'm gonna do a little bit of saucer.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you even did that. No, they look sketch.
Speaker 2: You wanta saucer?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right, them avocados look, I don't know. It's nice to know you're not a Oh I'm spilling this. I'm doing a really bad Nah.
Speaker 2: You good? You could all right? Then you gotta get a little Frido's to get that, to get that crunch.
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought you were gonna crunch it, crunch it.
Speaker 2: I do that as well, But again it's it's it's so small.
Speaker 1: The taco shell. Yeah, okay, I just recently started eating chips on sandwiches after eating all broke because someone didn't on the show. I can't remember who. Okay, taco tasting time. Okay, we got the beans, Spanish rice, freedo, crunchy tortilla, tacoma.
Speaker 2: Let you go first.
Speaker 1: This is amazing, is it? Really? That's what's I would totally eat these. Do you know all they're vegan haacks? Because this is good. I mean a few, A few sometimes is amazing.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when I really want to get fool, this might be too much for you. But I have some fries and I do it like burrito style, and I put some fries in there too, so it's like potatoes, beans, rice, fri doos.
Speaker 1: You can do that. If I did that, I turned into Ooper loop. But I could do this in a burrito right. But you know what makes this is the the friedos.
Speaker 2: So y'all don't sleep on the crunch. It's what makes it.
Speaker 1: I have one question, because I'm gonna eat two guys. Why why are the fredos in another chip?
Speaker 2: The fri doos just taste good with it, like Frido's. You can't do much with it.
Speaker 1: It's not because they're like special because they're like being friendly or something.
Speaker 2: Well, they are vegan friendly, so that's part of it too, but they just go with it. FreeDOS just go with it. It's just one of those things, just mixing it up in the kitchen when you when you don't got the money and you just scot still laying around and you just you just make it work, kind of like you know, the big value pack of chips, like the thirty pack. The free Doos is always last, so they just kind of always sit in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Dude, they're on the bottom shelf too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. So people be sleeping on them.
Speaker 1: So I'm not gonna lie. The Fredos makes this thing work. You lucky almost the fos out likes.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you like it, That's what's up.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna finish my tackle before we get back. Then, no, you go because the crunch this is really good.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm glad you like it.
Speaker 1: I want to go vegan, but I don't know how to you in.
Speaker 2: The Perfect City with.
Speaker 1: Austin or La La good. But I'm gonna be trying to do Backhostal and Austin.
Speaker 2: I mean Austin literally is a mini La man. They they got so much vegan food.
Speaker 1: And man, okay, so chocolates is a one for those doing it at home. Because of the refried beans, you definitely can't go without the salsa, and because of the crunch, you can't go without with the friedo. So facts, if you do this at home, the best way to enjoy this one hundred percent is to do all of the ingredients, the Spanish rice, the salsa, the friedo chips, the corner das, and the beans. Ten out of ten for vegan.
Speaker 2: You had it without the avocados, that's what's crazy.
Speaker 1: And well, you know what, the refried beans kind of because avocado and refried beans have the same textures and avocado doesn't have that strong of a taste, right, Yeah, honestly, you could keep your cow avocado that they had way too with brown. Personally, if I would have seen once back, it would have been down out.
Speaker 2: That is too funny.
Speaker 1: My daughter eats an avocado with da oh yeah yeah, if it was up to her, she eat like four.
Speaker 2: But avocados is what it is, and you can put that on anything man salad, you can put in your smoothie, you can put it in whatever you want to.
Speaker 1: I feel like, well, I'm going to get to that I want when we get to the smoothie era. But the part of me feels like you're not judging this because you're in the smoothie business. Like you don't judge markings.
Speaker 2: On fruit bananas, you will probably lose your shit.
Speaker 1: But banana's the sweeter.
Speaker 2: They are seeing a lot of customers they see that and they're like, what is that. I don't want that banana. I'll be trying to explain to them, like, no.
Speaker 1: They're better that way. But I also have a rule. I'm Jamaican. My mom raised us. If it doesn't look spotty and all that, it's not right.
Speaker 2: That's not right.
Speaker 1: And so even my daughter shows, I'm like, girl, that's the only way you want to eat a banana unless you want to eat a nasty exactly and smoothie. Your banana has to.
Speaker 2: Look exactly freckled facts.
Speaker 1: And you know that's the same for like banana.
Speaker 2: Bread and banana bread. Yeah, that's what I always try to explain. I'm like, have you ever made banana bread like you don't want.
Speaker 1: You don't want to know, yo, non inspect of bananas. But we're not talking about how to make a smoothie. We're talking about how to get a paycheck. Facts with Skylar paycheck go. So go back to these season tickets.
Speaker 2: All right. So I basically long story short, I'm in the arena. I'm like, I'm gonna take a gamble. I'm already making money. I already got two streams of income coming in. Let me take this gamble. Worst case you.
Speaker 1: Don't have a day job, just to your two streams, but the second stream is delayed. Yes, so the first stream is the one you're living off of.
Speaker 2: What the second one. We'll get into that later. There's ways where you can make money daily and the stock market, but we'll get into all that later. But for the time being, yes, it's delayed. So that's kind of sitting there. And I got those two streams of income going. So I'm like, again, let me take this gamble. Best case scenario, I break even. Worst case scenario, I get to go to a bunch of mever games. So I bought those, and I thought, and I bought a few other.
Speaker 1: Seats, and what's your dad doing while you're doing the seat, Like, man, I don't even need to buy seats because you got enough.
Speaker 2: You know, he bought his own as well, so you know, he's just he knows me by now. If I say I'm going to do something, I want something, then I like that. You know, he's just like cool. So I get those going. So that ends up being really big for me.
Speaker 1: Like, people, what do you do with these seats? Walk us through it?
Speaker 2: So you can do Facebook, Marketplace obviously, these different tickets sites and all of this, and that you just put them on there. You put them up higher than the value and you're making money. So picture having multiple tickets for all season, you know what I mean. And Dallas is a huge city, so people love sports over there, so people got money in Dallas. So people are buying these season tickets easy, and so that's making money. So now that's three, three sources of income. So this is where I'm starting to feel like I'm the man. I'm starting to feel like I'm good, you know what I mean. I got some money, you know what I mean. So I tell my dad, I said, hey, let me talk to you about franchising again. And he was like, all right, I got why.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say, like you started buying ridiculous things.
Speaker 2: No, I've always yeah, yeah, no, I've always been.
Speaker 1: And how many years are you going from that first meeting to the point where you're like, let me pick up the franchise ball again.
Speaker 2: So it's about four years.
Speaker 1: Four years wow, So four years of pustling and you go revisit.
Speaker 2: And I thought I was doing something, but I was nowhere close to being a franchise only yet I'm already feeling myself and I'm like, hey, pop, I want a franchise. Now I got the money, I'm good.
Speaker 1: So how much money did you think you had at the time that was enough to start having that conversation.
Speaker 2: About one hundred grand okay for all your listeners, And how old were you at the time. I was, what twenty four?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So so yeah, man, like one hundred grand, everything's good. I think I'm someone, I think I'm something.
Speaker 1: I would I would definitely feel that.
Speaker 2: And you know, now one hundred grand isn't much now, but.
Speaker 1: At the time, we're also twenty four. Okay.
Speaker 2: So my dad introduced me to his Fratt brother at William's Chicken and He's like, man, I like what you're doing. I like everything about you. So he was like, how about we do this. How about you do an internship and just kind of see and float around the store to see if this is what you really want, because a lot of people might say they want a frame, but they don't know about franchise. So I'm doing that and I'm like, okay, I can get down with this. And about a week or so later, he's like, hey, you know what, we have a problem at one of these other stores. How about you become a manager and this can be the store that you end up owning, so you can manage it. Just play like you're the manager, and then this can be the store that you own.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then what's the name of this franchise?
Speaker 2: It is Williams Chicken.
Speaker 1: William's Chicken. Again, you jump on the opportunity. You go from intern which is free, to manager. And so they had senior work ethic or something to say, hey, we want to give you.
Speaker 2: I think it was crazy. They must have thought that I was some manager or something. So this is the crazy part. So let me so let me back up here. So I didn't have any manager experience at all. But my mindset is like, Okay, I'm not going to tell them I don't have any managers, right, so I'm looking at it like I'm going to do whatever i need to do to get to where I'm going. I'm going to learn franchising and management on the fly. So no experience, nothing, I take it. So the good thing about it also is I need for everyone to understand internship. Let me say it on this camera. Don't be afraid to be an intern. I know a lot of the younger generation they don't want to be interns. They think that nothing comes with it. You don't know who you're going to meet, you don't know what you're going to learn. Forget if it doesn't have any money attached to it.
Speaker 1: But now you're also speaking from the perspective of a seasoned entrepreneur. You'll also have residual money coming in. But I still agree with you on the sense of that. But you know you are talking from the perspective of I can take one for the team because I have residual businesses.
Speaker 2: Right right, very true, But I do also want to make that a lot of people, a lot of people they think I'm not going to do this internship. You just never internships.
Speaker 1: Hell no, I want to jumped on that internship, especially if I'm trying to get into franchising, because you know, there's people that go to college never they're like, I'm going to go to school to be a lawyer, and then they spend all this money and they become a lawyer and they realize they don't even like that. So internship is definitely a way to go. But I do want to emphasize the fact that you put in a lot of work to have residual money, so it was a lot easier to pursue your dreams when you have your residual I'm sure you're still working, but it was more residuals. At this point, it's a machine because I'll continue.
Speaker 2: Sorry, no, you're good, You're good. So I look at it like I already got those three strings of income coming. This is extream number four. I am now a general manager getting paid a salary to learn the business. So now that's four strings and income. So all that's going on, I'm learning the system, I'm learning the ropes, and I'm a damn good manager.
Speaker 1: And do you love it?
Speaker 2: It's cool? You know what I mean? I love that I'm learning, but I realize over time that this might not be for me, at least Williams. So I kind of start to take a step back and I kind of go my own out and.
Speaker 1: Say, you know what made you say it may not be for you?
Speaker 2: I think it's just it's cool locally, but I'm thinking bigger than that. Okay, So I'm like, I'm gonna do something different. So I kind of take a step back and I kind of just take that risk and say, you know what, I appreciate the experience and I appreciate the opportunity, but I'm a pass So remember.
Speaker 1: How soon did you make that decision? Oh?
Speaker 2: No, it was like maybe seven eight, nine months, So I definitely put in the work. So remember that Wingstop person I told you about I met fresh out of high school. I end up getting back in contact with him, and when I come back to him, I tell him, Hey, do you remember me? Did you told me all this and that? And what's crazy? Is he right? And what's crazy is he didn't really remember? But hilarious. But I mean, I'm sure so many people that you know.
Speaker 1: But I love that you came back to him. But continue shows a lot of integrity.
Speaker 2: It does. And he was like, I don't remember much about our conversation, but man, you have everything, Like on why you're killing it. He was like, you are doing way better than people your age, and so I'm like yeah. So basically he's like, I tell you what I do, and this is where networking and everything is very important to everyone listening and watching. He said, how about you come work for me and over time, I'll let you buy fifty percent of one of my stores. And so, so keep in mind this the og that.
Speaker 1: So this is him right up the alley you want.
Speaker 2: And keep in mind this the og that bought franchise in two wing stops. Yeah, so he's like, you got to think he has all this money, all these millions.
Speaker 1: So he's scarious. What's his race? I hate to be that person. He's a black guy. So it's and so so totally something you could really exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: You know how they say though, be careful meeting your heroes. He wasn't necessarily my hero, but I get into that in a minute. But so I'm doing that. I'm like, let's get it, like I fifty wingstop, Like, let me do it. So I'm working at Wingstop doing the managing stuff, and oh, by the way, let me throw this in there. He said. Basically, you'll get the fifty percent and then you can either buy me out over time for my fifty percent, or you can have the fifty percent and you can go open up your own wingstop. But rest assured I'll be there to help you get that because you helped me out, I'm gonna help you out.
Speaker 1: Wait. He saw you as helping him.
Speaker 2: Out right, because he was like, you're learning the game, but also I need help at one of my stores.
Speaker 1: Got it so okay? And he's now if you think about from his perspective, he's it's a smart chess move for him because he has an employee slash partner that's really invested in now exactly got it.
Speaker 2: And that's another way for everyone watching and listening. If you don't have the money, there's ways to get into the game. There's ways to get into the game to where you might not have the money, but find you a OG, a season OG that has the money has the opportunities to basically get you in the door. You'll just be surprised.
Speaker 1: And if you pay attention to your story too, communication is key here. Yes, when you're in business for yourself, hiring the right people is probably one of the hardest and the most riskiest investments you can make. So when you get someone that's intentional about working for you that's like, hey, I want to be where you're at, you now know that your investment is a little bit more safer, especially if they have the level of integrity that Skyler has, where he's like, I did your checklist here, I am anxiety, so I'll continue and I'm just recapping with you all that good.
Speaker 2: You're good. So over time I'm realizing I'm killing everything that he's asking me to do, and I'm checking everything off the box. I'm running his store good. I helped him open up a brand new store, hired all his staff. I just did all of those different things for him. But I've noticed as Tom's going, he's not holding his end of the of the bargain. So I'm like, I almost feel like I'm just working there.
Speaker 1: And his end would be like when you guys have that discussion.
Speaker 2: Right, and when I would kind of bring it up, he would kind of like, we'll get to it later. We'll get to it later. And so I'm like, all right, I'll see how this's going. And one thing about me, I like to control my own destiny. I don't really like when somebody tries to almost like I'm a puppet and you're controlling the streams.
Speaker 1: Well, you're an entrepreneur, right, You're you're you believe in controlling that ship. Right, So I can see that, and I can see how if you're coming from a place of integrity, how when someone lacks integrity, it's it's almost like off putting and deflating, right because now you're like, what am I doing? Right?
Speaker 2: And I will say, though, shout out to him, because I still learned a lot. Now I have experience from two.
Speaker 1: Different So he didn't end up holding up.
Speaker 2: He didn't end up holding it, and I left. I chose to leave because I'm like, man, I kind of feel like i'm and played a little bit, and so I took that risk and so I'm back in the rut. But I still have the other income coming in. But again going back to what I said earlier, I hate seeing certain accounts.
Speaker 1: Okay, well no, especially because now you're at you came from now two places that are offering you salaries. So this is your fourth income, and it's a sustainable, healthy fourth income. So yeah, I can understand that. That's how I am, just so you know, I'll be not for.
Speaker 2: Real, for real, and so all of that's going on. So I'm back almost starting from scratch. Do you watch Martin?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, you know the.
Speaker 2: Episode start from Scratch? That was literally me. So I'm starting back from scratch.
Speaker 1: But now, but here's the thing, though, You're starting back from scratch with a lot of years of entrepreneurship for sure, management two different franchises that you've been managed, able to build, and you know the processes and all.
Speaker 2: So you already see all in the groundwork. I'm literally laying the groundwork.
Speaker 1: You don't succeed, I'd be surprised, all right. I see where Smooie King's coming, right, So what happens?
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to figure it out. And now I'm thinking Smoothie King. So this is where I thought I was close, but I'm still not even close to being close. So I see Smovie King, and I see that they're hiring for a manager, and I also know that their corporate headquarters is in Dallas, Texas. Okay, so I'm like, how about I work there. The corporate offices are right there. I be there every day in bug them. If I have to, I'm going to get a franchise. And for those that don't know, Smoovie King is the number one smoothie brand in.
Speaker 1: The nation than Jambas and everybody else.
Speaker 2: Way bigger than Jumba. Very funny story about Jumba by the way. But yeah, well, Smoovie King was really close to being in in California, really really close. A lot of people always ask about Smovie King being there. It was really close. But nonetheless, who was their first movie or Jamva in California in general? Oh, Smoovie King, movie King, literally Smoovies. It started from Smoovie King.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, so they're the OG's and you're number one in the nation, right, Okay, so gone, you're do you apply for this manager position?
Speaker 2: I apply for the manager position. But I learned my lesson from my last run, and I told them at the interview the only way that I am going to do this is that y'all know I'm not here long term. I am here to be a franchisee. That's it. They agreed, they said, cool, So as soon as I got hired. Now I'm on LinkedIn shooting my LinkedIn shot at anybody that works for Smoovie King, any franchise owner. I'm just sending messages because you got to think about it. The worst thing that can happen is they don't respond.
Speaker 1: But now, what about the manager that you're reporting to that's above you. There you shooting your shot with them? You just didn't feel I.
Speaker 2: Didn't because they're working on the corporate end. So the Smoothie King corporate stores, like they have corporate stores, and then obviously majority of it is franchise So.
Speaker 1: You were at a corporate st.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was at a corporate store. So if you're putting the two to two together, I'm working for corporate so that y'all can know my name and know about me, and the corporate office is here, so I'm basically trying to make sure that y'all know exactly who I am.
Speaker 1: Now, is that better that you went to work for corporate versus a franchise e? Well, at this point after your experience.
Speaker 2: With financially as well, Yeah, because corporate obviously is gonna.
Speaker 1: Pay more, got it.
Speaker 2: But again, I'm just trying to make sure that my name is being known. So again I'm shooting shooting my my my corporate shot at anyone. I'm talking. I'm shooting this to the CEO, say, you know, just hey, how's it going. My name is Skuyler. I'm recently a general manager. I'm trying to franchise with you guys, just all of that type of stuff, just you know, just really, you know. So I'm doing that. I don't get a lot of response responses from people, which, of course, but there are some franchises, franchisees that reach back out from different parts of the country and everything like that. So they're they're and they know who they are, so shout out to them that we're still talking to this day. So that's going on. I'm starting to talk to the bank now because again I'm feeling myself. I think that I'm ready. I'm like, this is it? So I thought. So I reach out to a bank and the bank is like, everything is great. You have everything on paper, your credit score is good, your financing is good. Yeah, you got the experience. You got everything we need and everything we're looking for. So I'm talking to the bank. But there's two sides of this. I'm talking to the Smovie King as well. Both ends got to prove your financials. So I'm talking to Smovie King. They look over my financials and they say, everything looks good. Come to Discovery Day. So discovery day is basically where the franchise, the potential franchisee goes and flies out to the corporate headquarters. But I'm already in Dallas, So all I gotta do is try. They come and learn about the business. They come and learn about everything. So the CEO is in there presenting everything to everybody. He's talking about the brand and everything about that. As after he's finished, he has everybody in the room that wants to be a part of Smoothie King introduced themselves. Everyone standing up. I mean they just flexing. I own fifteen Taco bells and I own this, I own fifty franchises. I mean, everyone just flexing. And when it's my turn to stand.
Speaker 1: Up on before you get to that, how does that make you feel?
Speaker 2: Very little? Okay, very little? It's my turn to speak. So I'm hearing as.
Speaker 1: The young person, right, and are you do other people look like you? Meaning like black? Or they all different?
Speaker 2: There were a few black people, but you know, they're all older, gray hair, all of that. So I stand up after hearing all these people say everything, and I'm just like, hey, how's it going. My name is Skuyler. I'm trying to be a franchise owner, and I am a multi union manager for Smoothe King Corps because by this time, I ended up managing multiple stores. So I'm a multi union manager for Smoothe King. And then I sit down and I feel like a clown at this point. So the CEO goes back about his debt and he's walking out the door, but before he leaves, he looks at me in my eyes and walks up to me and shakes my hand and says, you're doing a really good job. So and then he walks out. So but I'm just saying, like, pitt your erin this big room all I felt amazing, okay.
Speaker 1: And do you think he was saying that because you're running his stores or because.
Speaker 2: Like you got to this point, got to that.
Speaker 1: Point, got it, got it?
Speaker 2: So so he says, you're doing a really good job. So at this point, I'm smiling ear to ear okay, and I'm thinking everything is in the bag. If the CEO knows who I am, you know, so I thought. So. I remember later on that day I'll never forget there was this older black dude. He was like, man, why are you smiling so much? And I was just like, man, if you knew what I had to do to get here, then you would understand that. You know, I'm just happy. And by the way, and while this is going on, six months prior, that's when I lost my mom and my brother. So I lost still so around the time before I got Tomovie King, that's when I lost my mom and I lost my brother six months apart from each other. So all this is going on. But again I'm saying, I'm not gonna stop.
Speaker 1: And so now to backtrack a little bit, this burger gets personal. There's everyone close with depression differently right now, are you a coper? Do you think that, looking back, that you were coping with the distraction of these high mountains that you had to climb.
Speaker 2: It was definitely good to have that. But I'm one of those obviously I miss him. I'm sad, but I mean that's unfortunate. You know, that's part of life. It hurts, But.
Speaker 1: Losing your mom at a young age, I don't know if it was like, like my grandfather he died of cancer to a new hospice or whatever. Was it one of those where you were kind of preparing for them or was it a shocker?
Speaker 2: It was not my brother that was a complete shocker. Okay, that was like, got that phone call.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what, he's young, but your mom you kind of knew there was some kind of Okay, is that part of the health journey?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 1: Okay, got it? So go back to why you're smiling.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yeah, no, you're good. So I'm just smiling because I'm like, bro, if you knew what I've been going through in my journey to get here, just to be around all y'all rich folks, you will know why I'm smiling. You know what I mean. So that's what was going on. So a few days past in Smoovie King Cosmic back and say, hey, Skylar, so you met the financial liquid cash, but your net worth wasn't there. So at this point I'm like, bruh what.
Speaker 1: So like, what do you mean no no assets?
Speaker 2: Well, so I have the liquid assets, but would be like You're like yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure. And I didn't even have a home or anything at the time.
Speaker 1: So but now is that one of those situations where you could finagle like, hey, my dad owns an asset, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Well, see that's the thing. My we came from a middle class, so it's not let me make that very there my dad and he wasn't like some rich man or you know, just a middle No.
Speaker 1: So when you hit that, there was no way around.
Speaker 2: So when my mom ended up getting sick, we ended up selling our house and so all of that. So all of that's going on, so smoothe king says that, and I'm like, so, like, what do I do now? And then to the open wound to add salt? Poor the whole bottle of salt in it. The bank caused me back and say, so we're actually going in a different direction right now, so we're not going to be able to fund you. So now I'm back at square one again. I said every curse word probably.
Speaker 1: A thousand times.
Speaker 2: I didn't cry. I was hurt, but I didn't cry.
Speaker 1: Damn so strong. I know a lot of even rappers on this show that will be like, yeah, I tear up out of frustration.
Speaker 2: Frustration was.
Speaker 1: So how did you deal with it? You just set a couple of cursors.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I cussed them to hell out. C Yeah, I cursed them to hell out. Not Smovie King, but the bank. I was pissed, but I kept it pushing because I'm like, I am going to get this.
Speaker 1: But now, when you get a call about net worth, how do you I could see someone like you going, what do I gotta do to build this net worth? Right? Is that what you're thinking?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I ended up buying a house. That was one thing I did. I was like, okay, we're going to buy a home. And so all I'm doing as well is that liquid cash. I'm continuing to do that. So I'm just finding out different ways to build that net worth up. So all of this is going on.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I love you. It's just and I just got to say this. The fact that you said, yeah, okay, they said net worth, which is I assumed you know, you'd have to own a home or whatever, right, But the fact that you just glided over that fact that, yeah, I found out I didn't have enough net worth, So what did you do? Well? Then I had to go buy a home, right? Amazing? Amazing, Like, oh, okay, this is the rules. I'll play by the rules.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're right, You're not going to tell me no. So I'm going to get it one way or another. Just let me know what I need to do so that I can do it so I can become a print.
Speaker 1: Now, did you a little sidebar? Did you go for a hollorrific home or what were you looking for when you bought to creation this? Fine? Right?
Speaker 2: So I bought this home just to basically make it a just to basically make it an asset, to make it to where I can make it a rental property. So I buy it with the intention of it's the first time home, but it is brand new, it's in a very nice area where people we will never have a problem rented out. But it also look great on paper. That was my whole reason.
Speaker 1: So you were looking for Now, were you looking for equity from the jump or you just looking for just something that has like a value of say five hundred thousand or whatever? Is that? What point are you looking for when you're looking to both?
Speaker 2: Actually both, And I'm still learning the home business at the time, so I'm just thinking I'll just buy a home. But yes, so that's basically what I did it for for equity and just to have this on paper. That was my whole sole.
Speaker 1: Reason for it, right, all right, So continue.
Speaker 2: So no you're good. So no, no, you're good. You're good.
Speaker 1: I don't know why, all right.
Speaker 2: So every all that's going on. So I'm back to square one again because both of those, the bank and Smovie King, that didn't work out, So going back to.
Speaker 1: Wait, they didn't work out, but they were more on hold.
Speaker 2: Not right, Yeah, for sure, for sure. So as I'm still working a movie king, I tell my pops Lie, I tell him the situation because I talked to my mom and my dad a lot about all those things. Obviously, my mom's not there anymore at that point, but I did talk to them along the way, so she knew the journey, she knew the mission. So that's one good thing I have out of it all. She knew before she died that I was going to get a franchised. So all that's going on. He says, Hey, remember he's a networker, he knows everyone. He says, I have another frid brother that's the CEO of a bank. I want you to go talk to him. So so man shouts out to my dad. So I go and I meet with him. Everything's going good. I'm all nice, nicely clean cut suit and tie, have a nice presentation, everything is going great. I'm thinking that everything's going to pan out. This is my shot. He already knows my dad really well, so this is I got this, so I thought. So I meet up with him and he's like, look, Skyler, everything you have is good. Everything you have is amazing. And at this point I'm fresher. I'm like, yeah, I know, but you can't help me out. Just go ahead and tell me. So he was like, but this isn't really the direction that we want to go as at our bank. So so I'm just like all right. So he say he'll call around, but you know, but I was just like, it's all good. At this point, I'm already good myself anyway. So I end up keeping in touch with him, and I get back to him down the line. So I end up saying a little about a year or so passes by, and this is now we're getting kind of closer to COVID. So at this point, at this point, at this point, again my money, I'm just stacking it in and continuing renters. No, not even yet. So this is just this is just me I haven't even got to the renting.
Speaker 1: Part yet, living in the house and living over there at least.
Speaker 2: No, no, he's not.
Speaker 1: So you're you're you're you're flowing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no for sure. And the good thing about it, if you remember during COVID, that's when the market value of homes just shot through the roof.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I feel like the best time to buy.
Speaker 2: Well, it was definitely good to buy, especially interest racing everything. But like, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think you're right. They were they because my house was probably the most ever was.
Speaker 2: So I go and now I can do it things on my own. So I go back to a different bank and I start talking to them, and then on the other side, I start talking to Smoothie King again. I'm like, I'm in a better space. Now let's get to talking. And I find a franchise owner in the area, in the Dallas Fort Worth area that's trying to sell because she has a whole bunch of airbnbs and everything like that. So she's just like, I want to sell my Smoothie King and just do real estate. So we start negotiating something I presented the Smoothie King and this is where the amazing part happened. So remember that that same CEO that shook my hand, he ended up being the one to sign off on me becoming a franchise owner. So I finally did it. I finally did it. I finally did it. But wow, that that CEO today is my personal mentor.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, everything's great. He's my personal mentor. Everything is amazing.
Speaker 1: I was like, man, you are both.
Speaker 2: So what's crazy is though, So remember that CEO at the bank, right, Yeah, I ended up getting cool em. He's my personal mentor now. So now I'm talking to them on a whole different level now. So now the CEO is my personal mentor. The bank, the bank of the CEO of the bank, he's my personal mentor. And now they're giving me game that I didn't even know about it. You know, I'm talking to the obviously, he's the CEO of Smoothie King. So man, the stuff that he knows and the knowledge.
Speaker 1: That he has and you got hands on as a franchise owner. So like when you're really faced in the dark, you get to call the the real Now also with him being your mentor, is is he able to I don't want to ask this, but I'm gonna is he able to my mentors are assholes, like in the sense of they make me great because they do not bend the rules for me.
Speaker 2: He does not for me.
Speaker 1: So that's how I was asking.
Speaker 2: He does not be in the rules for me, but he holds me to a standard, like the goal for me is twenty five plus movie kings. And I'm on store number four, working on store, working.
Speaker 1: To get for the stores that that lady had.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, bought the stores that the well only about that one store, so she only had one store and then so I've multiplied ever since then.
Speaker 1: So so how did you get the other stores? So after you got the one, did you become when did he become your mentor?
Speaker 2: So he became a mentor, like right when I was getting that first one.
Speaker 1: So and he shook your hand and he signed he was there, is he traditionally there with all of the signings or just.
Speaker 2: Oh just me, you know, you know, I gotta have some gotta have some kind of perks today.
Speaker 1: But so he showed up for you. Did you think he remembered.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about remember from Discovery day or from Discovery Yeah, no, he for sure remembered.
Speaker 1: So he wanted to be there for yours.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so he mane one is amazing that that dude therapy.
Speaker 1: I've seen a picture of him on your Instagram. Yes, I think it was your Instagram. I was snooping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's all good. Yeah, so man, we have several pictures and again I'm gonna be with him later this week actually, but man, I'm forever indebted to that man. He he literally helped get me over that hurdle. And that goes back to again networking and showing your worth and showing who you are as an individual.
Speaker 1: You showed a lot of integrity though, Like I if you walked out of here today and said I want to build a robot, I'd be like, like, you know, even if it takes him ten years.
Speaker 2: Right now, and well, let me say this is what I'm sorry. So back to the CEO of the bank. That's my personal mentor we have a relationship now to where Man, these people got like athlete money. I need for people to understand. I think they hear me, but I don't think they understand these people got money, money, money, money, money, and what I like about when we hang out. Now he's trying to introduce me and me have me be a part of his golfing club to where all his buddies they they have Like, so they're.
Speaker 1: Trying to invest in you probably now, man.
Speaker 2: If you want to call it investing or just showing the young buck the ropes. I mean, I'm around people that got millions of.
Speaker 1: Mens like, oh, you're golfing and stuff.
Speaker 2: I haven't got to golfing yet. But he's trying to get me there, and so no, for real, for real, and so he's man, he's like, this person knows this, this person owns this, this person has this, this person has that. So they're showing me the ropes and getting me cause that's kind of where I'm at now, is okay, how do I get to the next level? Like I've already reached seven figures? How do I reach the next level? How do I get to eight figures?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a couple of things in w to touch on. One. Is he the one that does your loans for Smoothie King? Now?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, he still doesn't.
Speaker 2: No. And now I'm to the point to where I don't even got to get loans, you know what I mean, Like, oh, I'm sorry, you know hey.
Speaker 1: Love, I love Flex. Oh you ain't got apologize. I'm apologetic about that flex.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 1: And then my other question was from to go from one franchise to the second, to the third to the fourth. How hard was that easy?
Speaker 2: It was easier after you get that first franchise. I need for everyone to understand. Once you get that first one, it's almost like that's all you gotta do because after that, it's up from there. Now, those same banks that were turning me down this and that, and now they calling my phone saying, hey, mister Skyler, when do you want to open up another franchise? Now they're asking me when do you want to like Smoothie King my my capital and everything is so good now I don't have to go through the same thing I went.
Speaker 1: Do you own other houses? Are you just good with your one right now?
Speaker 2: I'm good with my one because I'm cheap, But.
Speaker 1: I'm not cheap. You're wiseman money financially, you're financially literate.
Speaker 2: But you know, bigger things comes like people around in my circle this and that, they want to see better for me, you know, like my immediate family. They're like, Skylar, let's get a house let's get a bigger house, you know what I mean. So that's that's where I'm at now with that.
Speaker 1: Now do you think some of that comes from how do I put this delicately? Like, you know, I think being an entrepreneur, you're so focused on the goal. My dad used to have this thing where he would say, like, frame what you do because sometimes when something hits me, like all those hurdles that you hit, you go on to the point. Well, for me personally, I go into self doubt. It's like I'm constantly me and this self doubt devils like believe in yourself. Don't believe in yourself. Believe in yourself. Don't. And my dad would be like, frame these milestones because you're working so hard you don't see that. And then there's like the self love gets a little funky because your way of self love is pursuing these dreams. Right. But then if you don't take the time to like treat yourself good, you know, and especially be an entrepreneur, you know that it's never like you it looks like it's kind of this, but it technically is like this, you know. And so do you think that some of your frugality is rooted in the fact of like not really looking out for you.
Speaker 2: I look out for everybody but me, you know. And it's funny you say that because there's a video when I first got my franchise and reading the email and everything during COVID, and I.
Speaker 1: Was just can you send us that? By the way, Oh man.
Speaker 2: I was looking so rough.
Speaker 1: A right, all right, so.
Speaker 2: No haircuts nothing.
Speaker 1: We would love the video if you do, get okay.
Speaker 2: But I was reading the email and looking back and I was like, I didn't even crack a smile or anything, because I just went through so much to get there. I was just like, finally, like what's next. So yeah, you would think that I was happy jumping up and down, but I just I didn't even crack a smile in that video. Wow, because man, it was just so much to get there.
Speaker 1: Now I see though, it's important for you to share your story and to motivate others. Where do you think that's coming from.
Speaker 2: Man, because I know the ropes. I'd been there, and I think that people on the other end, I don't think that they know that they can do it too, Like anybody can be Skylar, You're not. Let's be real about this. You're not gonna be Lebron James. You're not gonna be jay Z. Shout out jay Z. I know that's your favorite artist. You're not gonna be jay Z. You're not going to be Tyler the Creator. We're in La Tyler the Creator. You're not going to be those people. You can, but it's like you got a better chance of maybe hitting the lottery than that. It's it's kind of even maybe so, but anyone can be me. And I think a lot of people in our culture they don't understand that you can be a franchise owner. I don't even think, especially when I go to talk to the youth at schools and stuff like that, they don't even really know what franchising is. So it's my purpose and my duty to show them, Hey, let me tap into some of y'all at a young mind to where you can do this too, you know what I mean, Like, just start, just start, though, I.
Speaker 1: Will say, though I'm older now, and I will say, there's a lot of I've done a lot of these interviews, and there's core characteristics between the people that can do it and cannot. And there's a couple of things I've learned across doing these shows. One, if you listen to scholars story, there's no balance. There's no balance of I'm spending time with my friends volunteering at the VET, and I have my girlfriend's slash wife or whatever, or I'm spending all this time with the kids. I can almost take a guess that there's no balance there.
Speaker 2: Right, It's I tried to keep a healthy balance. But to your point, yes it is. And you you have to be all in. You have to be.
Speaker 1: Deady and dedicated to the work. And then the other thing is And I just want to to because your story sounds amazing, but I want you guys to understand out there like this is a person on a mission. You got kicked down, got up, kicked down again. I personally would have I go through a victim route. Where I go it's because I'm young, and maybe if I'm closed on them, they would believe in me or whatever. You know. But the other thing you have that is the undeniable force is integrity, and integrity is going to beat it every time. And yes, whether you do or do not have the jay Z skills, you know you're right in that regard. But if you lack integrity, if you give your word on getting someone. You know, my daughter asked for some flower seeds, you know, even something as small as I told my daughter I was gonna give her some flower seeds before I got home. That level of integrity, I can almost guess without a doubt you're that level of intagraon that if you say something, you're gonna do it. And I think if you're at home, even if you're fourteen, twenty one or forty, you got to start with that level of your word and your brand because people are going to tie your brand to your word, and if you look at Skuylar's story, all you're seeing is integrity word, integrity word, integrity word, integrity.
Speaker 2: Facts. Yeah, and I think it sucks because along the way, I've always had a few people that I wanted to bring up with me, and I do have one. So shout out to my district manager Patrick, like he's one of the only ones that man, he gets it. But along the way of my journey, I've had so many people that I want to bring up with me to help, and to your point, they don't. They don't get it. They don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yep. I've had this studio for like five years and I've had so many friends and I'm like, look, you want to shoot, come in free on the house. I would tell that to even guess, freak on the house. I'm not even charging anyways, show up. Every time we get on the phone. It's the same thing. And I just like, and I don't know how you deal with separating because your time is so valuable the people. And that's for integrity for me is like I see it, and if you don't have it, you're not even gonna clear like past a certain level with me. But for instance, like with your district manager, you see that level of integrity, right, that work, I think right for everyone else. When you start to see those signs, are you less invested in them because you already kind of seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not gonna say less invested. I always give everyone a shot. Anyone can be a late bloomer. You don't know someone's situation, what they're going through, whatever, So I try to keep it fair for everybody. But I also at the same time do like to focus a little bit more of my time on people that get it and actually care. So yeah, man, And what's crazy is this is just the beginning for me like this is just the beginning. This to me, this is just the start of the journey. Like, man, I'm trying to be on Shacks level. I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: Be on well believe you'll get there without doubt.
Speaker 2: Like seeing people like Charlemagne with the crystals, to me, that's that's inspiring. Like, so you you already got all this going on. You got this going on. I can keep naming athletes and rappers Rick Cross with the wingstops, you know what I mean. Stuff like that shows me like, man, this is just the beginning, and I'm slowly starting to not rub shoulders with them, but I'm at least being noticed that I can do this same to the same level that they're doing it. And so that's that's the next goal. Like, man, I'm trying to be rich rich, and I'm trying to show people you can be rich rich as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I think you like the art of making money more than you like spending, which I align with a lot, Like I don't really do nothing with money. It's like flipping it. Man.
Speaker 2: People, if you are around me and hung around me, you will probably think I'm broke because I don't eat expensive meals. I don't wear expensive clothes, I don't drive an expensive car. I could, but I just yea Man's what's the point?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know? Yeah, well you know what I will say though, you know you may be a late bloomer in that area. You know what I'm saying. You may hang out with your golf buddies and say, watches the treat myself.
Speaker 2: And that's the cars that they have.
Speaker 1: Man, And that's so cool. Though. You know it's okay to like show love to yourself. Skyler. I can't thank you enough. We never shoot on Sundays, just so you know. You know you are special. You are very special. And I loved every bit of this interview. There's one hundred percent inspiring. I'm hoping I can keep your number. I'm gonna put off for sure. And then where can everybody keep up with Skyler paycheck and also have the opportunity to go into one of your franchise stores.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so for sure, if you are ever in the Dallas Fort Worth metric, please hit me up, shoot me a DM on ig TikTok wherever pull up. I give you the address and the addresses of all of them is on my ig by the way my ig is I M Skylar B I A M s K y l E r B not a E and then all my other platforms, TikTok, YouTube, all of that is Skyler, paycheck, s K y l E r P A y c h e c K.
Speaker 1: And then just a last I can see a lot of people watching this interview saying like, is there a chance to get Skylar to mentor me? What's there to come in regards to your mentorship. I know you're starting to push out more content promoting that everyone can do this, but is there a plan or is there a way? Do people just DM you? How does that hold?
Speaker 2: So I definitely get a lot of d ms about mentorship this and that. That kind of goes back to what you were saying about who's really serious and who's not, you know, But I do get a lot of that, And I'm still learning, you know, I'm still learning how to where do I put my time? Like how do I talk to this group of individuals? How do I do this? How do I do that? So I'm still learning on the curve, you know what I mean. I spent so much time with my head down and I'm kind of playing ketchup on this on this end of things, you know, so, but I'm open. So if you have any advice or anything you want to tell me, please let me know. I love to learn. I'm a host.
Speaker 1: I love to learn. I feel like we'll be learning from each other. And then are you going to start doing speaking engagements you think? Are you? Have you considered it? Or is this like what no?
Speaker 2: I would love to I've done a few here and there, but again, I'm kind of learning that in so I just I don't know. I guess I need to talk to the right people to be able to do that or you know, but I'm I would love to learn. It's just about doing it.
Speaker 1: And then how far off are you or like, what's your timeline to get to that twenty five?
Speaker 2: I think it all depends. It depends on which I want to go. Do I want to keep cause like last year two thousands before I opened up two stores, so that was a new goal for me. That was a new milestone for me. So I don't know if maybe next year open three when I open one this year, or I can go to route where I'm trying to acquire a few that are already existing, or do I want to hop in a financial group and do it as a group. There's so many things that I'm thinking of of which way I want to go, and.
Speaker 1: Would you be open to would you be open to another franchise outside of Smoothie King.
Speaker 2: I thought about it. You know, it just has to make sense for me. But no, I'm definitely not against it. It's just about finding which one works for me. And yeah, so yeah, no, I'm definitely open for that as well.
Speaker 1: And then what's your favorite smoothie? These are just randoms. I'm sorry, I'm no, No, You're good.
Speaker 2: You're good. So I usually do the Collagen Pineapple kl so and I put a little ginger and mangos in there. So it's going to have pineapples, it's going to have spinach, it's going to have kal it's going to have the Banngo. So it's a nice Yeah, it's a really good movie. And another one I'll usually get because I get to every time I'm at any store in the morning time. I'm going to get that for my breakfast and then when I leave for like lunch, I'm going to do a peanut Power and that's more like a chocolate peanut butter kind.
Speaker 1: Of smooth, but can you take a lot of can you taste a lot of the peanut butter?
Speaker 2: You know, people are interesting about peanut butter.
Speaker 1: Some people a peanut butter.
Speaker 2: Some people will say a little, some people say a lot.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think it just boils down to taste buds, like bananas. Some people, if it's just a little banana, could be about that big and they'll be like it's too much banana, and some people get extra. So I think it just goes down to taste buds everyone has.
Speaker 1: And are you using those and meal replacements because you say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, okay, replacements. So so that's the I guess the perk of smoothie king. I get free smoothies, you know, and I'm making money while doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well, thank you for tuning in, Just so you know, a sidebar note, Well, you know what, thank you guys for tuning in. We really appreciate you guys listening. Check out Skylar paycheck on all social media platforms. Thank you for this dish, oh for sure. Peace out, guys,