Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today? You're not interested in armed now?
Speaker 1: No, Look, we're going to do this thing.
Speaker 3: We're going to have a.
Speaker 2: Conversation with this week's archive drop Josh and Spider Man having just been released in theaters. We're keeping the superhero theme going a little bit. We're going back to twenty eighteen when Ryan Coogler's Black Panther came out and we did a corresponding top five that I remember thinking was a lot of fun. I like it when we have to get imaginative like this, and looking back at my list, I have to say I'm still proud of this. I mean, we'll see, Okay, if people listen to this and they think, I don't know why you're proud of this, this list sucks, But I want to see these movies. I'm not so sure about my number five. This filmmaker has been kind of off the radar since twenty eighteen. But those top four I want to see these movies. What about you in your list?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad you feel that way. I'm looking at mine and a little confused. I'm thinking my number five is possibly a joke or at least a riff on a long running yes Baby on the show that might be. And here, while we're talking, I'm not sure I even know who the superhero is in my number four. I have an idea. Let me google it real quick. My number four pick. Let's see here, is this the guy i'm thinking of? Yes, it is okay, good, So I do still remember my number four pick. My number one through three though really strong. I feel really good about those. So yeah, I think plane producer. I think we should be hired. I think you know, a studio at this point honestly should hire us. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If any producers are out there listening, give this archive drop a listen and let us know. You can find us feedback at filmspotting dot net. If you are considering being a film Spotting family member, where you get access to the film Spotting Archive at any time. You get access to top fives like this whenever you would like. You can do that by joining the film Spotting Family. At film spottingfamily dot com you get not only access to the archive, but monthly bonus shows and a whole lot more. Film spotting Family dot com is where you can learn more. From February twenty eighteen, here are the top five superhero director combos that we would like to see.
Speaker 4: Dear mister Duig, as it has come to my attention that your mutant abilities have recently emerged, I am extending to you an invitation to join the Charles Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters. Here you will join our small but extremely talented student body.
Speaker 5: So you're the new guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: So that was what if? Wes Anderson directed The X Men by Patrick H. Williams, a video you can find on YouTube, or you can go to our show notes at filmspotting dot net for this episode and find a link there. Now you and Sam behind the scenes here, you you upiteat Wes Anderson fanatics had to say it was just okay, but you have to admit it's inspired. It's basically it's the Royal Tenen bombs. But if it was an X Men movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And I think it's it's interesting that Anderson is one of the first people that come to mind when you throw this question out there, because he does have such a distinctive style. You'll also see what if Wes Anderson did a horror movie or what if he did this? You know. So he's just one of those filmmas people would like to see thrown at something completely different from what they've been doing. I don't know if I quite approached this top five that way.
Speaker 2: Though, really I was sure Wes Anderson was your one. Though he's not variations on a theme.
Speaker 1: It's weird because I think I just love his stuff so much. I kind of don't And this doesn't to mean that I consider it slumming to take on a superhero franchise, but I just don't want him to do that.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about that a little bit here. The impetus behind this. I mean, obviously we were looking for a tie in with Black Panther, and it's a good one for reasons we touched on during that review in that you would not think probably that the guy who made fruit Vale station just going off that movie would eventually make this Marvel Cinematic Universe movie. But we're glad he did. And there are other examples of this coming up too. I just only a day or two ago, working on this list, googled the Captain Marvel movie that's coming out with Bree Larson as Captain Marvel. Do you know who's directing that movie?
Speaker 1: I knew it, but I forgot.
Speaker 2: It's Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck. That's right, the people who made It's kind of a funny story in Sugar and Half Nelson. These indeed directors who you would never imagine making a tent pole franchise movie, but the kind of directors that we would put up and hope would maybe one day make that kind of movie and bring a little bit of a different personality to it. So that's kind of where we're going with this list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we should also note that this was first suggested by a Film Spotting Advisory Board member, Corn Dog. Yes.
Speaker 2: I don't know why are you laughing if.
Speaker 1: Corn Dog wants to change that name now that we're using it on the air, But it was a fun idea. I think it's a promising idea, especially if you think about approaching it not just from the curiosity factor, but really trying to match a director's sensibility with the sensibility of the comic book or maybe of the character that's it. And once I started doing that, it was kind of a fun thought experiment to engage in.
Speaker 2: I'm with you said this last week when we were teasing this top five, This was as much fun as I've had putting together any recent top five list. And we'll see if the results speak to that. But just a little bit more set up, and I think I expressed these concerns a little last week. I was worried at first when we were kicking this around that we both didn't have enough geek cred to really go down this path that will reveal itself. You will see that we are limited, I think, or I'm just going to speak for myself, I'm limited when it comes to knowing the vocabulary around some of these superheroes and their origins and their powers and all of the legacy that's in place with them. So bear with us and be patient a little bit. Also, it's not as if you and I are sitting around all the time talking about our love and fascination with superhero movies, nor do we think that this is the end all, be all trajectory for our favorite director. Correct, they don't need to make a superhero movie in order for us to appreciate them or really to be taken seriously. I don't think. Probably I could be wrong, but I don't think Sean Baker from the Florida Project is probably sitting around pining for his opportunity to make a Marvel or DC movie. But maybe he is. I do understand that it reflects to a certain extent standing in the industry, and not only that, maybe more importantly, Josh, the opportunity for different voices to take on these works, right, that's really what's most important. I was just trying to get to get some new perspective and a new vision. So it is about that marriage of the material, the director, and the superhero and maybe the star. One other example of this, just a few days ago, Slash Film had an article about Alex Garland, the director of Annihilation. We're going to discuss that here on an upcoming episode. And he has some history with comic book movies because before Annihilation and ex Machina as a screenwriter he did write the comic book adaptation for Dread, and he was asked in a Reddit ama, I think just recently what comic book movie he would make if he could, and his answer was swamp Thing. He didn't go into a lot of detail, but I'm just quoting here from the slash Film article. It says, judging by his talent for approaching pulpy sci fi elements through a restrained humanistic lens, he could be a fantastic fit. His work behind the camera with X Makana and Annihilation, as well as his work on scripts for Never Let Me Go in Sunshine, prove him to be a challenging, ambitious sci fi filmmaker who seeks to explore the meaning of human identity. So if you go with that background, matching him with something like swamp Thing makes sense. I think that's kind of where we were both going with these lists, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And speaking of swamp Thing, I'll share one listener suggestion right off the top here, because we got a ton of them on social media. But Jason Knight suggested for swamp Thing Jeff Nichols, which I also think is intriguing. Okay, we got it. We'll share some more of these listeners.
Speaker 2: Is that like a sootype.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's kind of a Southern Gothic vibe. Maybe it maybe it'll work. Okay, let's see if you think my number five might work. I can't wait Sophia Coppola making Aqua Woman. Now you know where I'm going with this. I do the movie made up so disappointed that Sophia Coppola's live action Little Mermaid movie never came to pass. It did exist at one point, Adam, it did exist. Well, maybe this could be the next best thing. I'll admit, speaking to our cred. Aqua Woman is not one of those comic book characters that I'm very familiar with. From what I could tell, she's relatively new, first introduced around twenty fourteen, I think, as part of DC's Earth two series. So there aren't really decades of mythology to deal with here. And I think that's okay, because I basically want Copola to take this basic framework and aquatic superheroin and use that canvas to offer you know what she usually does, a portrait of a very specific sort of femininity. Now, if that sounds far fetched, keep in mind that most of Copola's movies seem to be taking place underwater anyway, when you think about how they're described, like words like languid come up. There's slow movements within them. There's just a a flow. The characters flow in Coppola's movies. So I think in some ways this would be something of a natural fit from an esthetic standpoint. Now, you mentioned earlier that you thought about casting these films as well, So I've been thinking about who might be able to play Aqua woman, and I'm just going to go back to someone who's worked with Coppola about the right age. I would expect El Fanning, who was in The Beguiled with her. I could see she's kind of watery. I think when I think of El Fanning, that word comes to mind. So maybe maybe that would work. Okay, I'm not too stoked about this year's Aquaman movie. Speaking of superhero exhaustion, I think stoked is maybe the right word to use. Jason Momoa, you seem to be going for aqua dude more than anything else. But if Sophia Coppola had Aqua woman coming out, I would be into it.
Speaker 2: Okay. I would be intrigued as well. And Jason Momoa a nice transition into my number five because my director last directed Momoa in her recent film. I'm going to give this to you. I'm gonna give my choices to you as if you are the studio head and I'm pitching it okay to you. So I'm gonna give you the director and the title and the actor and see how you react. Now, this one may stump you a little bit because I don't think you're as familiar with this director's work, and I don't think you'll place the actress's name either. I could be wrong. This is the only one rejected. It will do that. So you're already it's like she's not a big enoughisode. It's over. Okay, Sorry, Next my number five superhero director Combo I'd like to see is Anna Lily ahmerpors Ms Marvel starring goal shifta Farahni. Okay, go shifta Farahni, and I'll get to a reason why in a moment, at least one reason why she's a problematic fit. Here is Patterson's wife in the movie Yeah Patterson starring opposite Adam Driver and that Jim Jarmish movie. She is an Iranian actress, and that dissent is important as this is the description of Mis Marvel that Comic Vine, a website gives this new Mis Marvel. Anyway, Kamala Khan is the girl's name. She is a shape shifting Muslim Pakistani American teenager from New Jersey who becomes the newest holder of the Mis Marvel identity. So, without knowing all the history of this, there have been different Miss Marvels over the years. It was a counter to Captain Marvel. Carol Danvers was the original Mis Marvel, and that is who Brie Larson is playing as I understand it in the Captain Marvel movie. So Miss Marvel has been this kind of go to figure throughout the Marvel universe over the years, and now in its current imagining, she is a sixteen year old Pakistani American girl from New Jersey. So this was the hardest to cast because I'm going to confess I can't think of any Pakistani American teenage actresses off the top of my head, and I did google a little bit. I found actresses that act in movies not here in the United States, not in Hollywood movies, So that wouldn't do me much good. Go shift of I think is really wonderful in Patterson. She's also in Body of Lies. She plays a Jordanian in that film opposite Leo DiCaprio. That was the Ridley Scott film from a few years back. But she is thirty four. She doesn't look thirty four to me. She looks maybe mid twenties at best. I don't know that she could pass as a sixteen year old. I will open this up to other people who might be more enlightened than me and can suggest someone who could really play Ms Marvel. One of the reasons that I think this character could be so fascinating to see on screen, and this goes back to something we talked about during Black Panther and also our recent conversation where we revisited The Last Jedi. The idea of diversity came up and someone challenged it, saying it was a weakness of the Last Jedi. I took issue with that, and one of the things I don't think I pointed out in my argument, even though it belonged and is certainly a no brainer, is that everybody deserves. Everyone deserves to see themselves represented on screen, to see themselves reflected back, whether that's an everyday reflection of who they are or it's a fantastic version of who they are. And just last night, as I was jotting down my notes, I went to Twitter and I did a search for mis Marvel just to see if anybody is saying anything about her. What's the dialogue around this character right now? And a user named at Foxville underscore Art who says she's a visual development artist and illustrator and she's co host of at the Art Corner podcast. She wrote this, growing up, I never saw anyone who looked like me, a Pakistani Muslim immigrant in the media I consumed, let alone an actual crime fighting superhero. I'm so thankful for mis Marvel. I think we'd all be thankful to see that character on screen. And I do like the meta narrative element to this as well. Josh where based on what I read about Kamala Khan, she was someone who was obsessed with superheroes and comic books and Miss Marvel in particular, and then when she basically gained these powers that she gained, she decided to take on this persona, which seems so appropriate for this age we live in right now, this fanboy and fangirl age and just the fact that she is someone who is discussed as someone who is an outsider, who always felt different, who is cast out a little bit at school, and takes on this persona to help people, just to help people because she's inherently compassionate. Also seems like a character we all need to see right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. And Armorer was another filmmaker who I.
Speaker 2: Didn't even talk about it a lot, you know, a lot all that rambling, and I didn't even talk about the director.
Speaker 1: But a lot of listeners pegged her right away as someone who could pull off one of these films. Of course, Yeah, directed the Bad Batch And a Girl Walks home Alone at night?
Speaker 2: Yes, And when I thought of Kamala Khan, and when I saw some of the pictures, even though it couldn't be more different because they're very colorful, and a girl walks home alone at night is in black and white. But the first character, the first actress I envisioned, is Sheila Vand who is that girl who walks home alone at night? And so that sense of being an outsider, being different, being alienated from those around you, and yet trying to assimilate, that's very much at the core as well. Of the bad Batch. Even though it's a very different movie than A Girl Walks home alone night, she just seems like the right director for that character and material.
Speaker 1: All Right, we're at my number four. I guess I would say, Adam, I dabbled in comics more than anything else when I was younger. I'd pick them up here and there. Probably the age I was most into them was middle school. And that's also when I embarked on a get rich quick comics scheme that didn't really pan out. In nineteen eighty six, Marvel tried to launch a completely original series of superheroes under this New Universe banner. I think there were about eight made from scratch characters or teams. I middle school me saw an investment opportunity, Adam, so I shelled out the seventy five cents each. This was in eighty six, for the first five issues of each series. Guess how much they're worth now? I checked while putting together this list. Eighty five cents a dollar seventy each. Atam, I thank you very much. According to my math, I doubled my money. More than double my money. Some of these were really cheesy. I found these in a drawer over The Weekend Kickers Ink was a team of former football players. Not too cool, but I do remember rejected good move. There was one that I liked for more than investment purposes called night Mask, a character created by Archie Goodwin. This is a team with the ability to enter other people's dreams. Now. Night Mask had this goth look. There was a black, high colored cape that he wears and it ends in these tendrils. And with its dreamscapes, the comic gives ample opportunity for really surrealistic flourishes. So who do I want to see make the night Mask movie? Well, I think Tim Burton still has a great movie in him. And before you scoff, here's the Kicker. I want his night Mask to be stop motion. There are definitely some Jack Skellington touches to night Masks. Look, i'd even here. Here's how much I'm committed to this, Adam. I will put my earnings from my new Universe collection. I'll sell them all and put that towards seed mon.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the night Mask, get it off the ground.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything about night Mask, but Tim Burton's night Mask does sound right. Josh so good pick Okay, let's see how you take to my number four, obviously inspired by a recent discussion here on the show David Cronenberg's Angel starring Timothy Shallowmey.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to fill me an un angel.
Speaker 2: So Angel you have seen on screen before? Because I am guessing though you probably skipped X Men Apocalypse as I did, the one starring Oscar Isaac, the recent one, have not seen that? You did see the Brett Ratner directed X Men The Last Stand? Or am I wrong?
Speaker 1: I wish I had that information readily available.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ben Foster, the Great Ben Foster, Yeah, okay, the very blonde angel in X Men The Last Stand and his namesake. His real name is Kenneth Worthington the Third. I'm just going off of Marvel's wikia here. He is the mutant son of the wealthy Warren K. Worthington Junior and his wife Catherine, neither of whom were aware that their son had developed. This is where Cronerberg comes in. Josh a pair of large feathered wings extending from his back, enabling him to fly. If you go back and watch in that scene, can't you the body horror of that? If you go back and watch that scene from X Men The Last Stand. That's basically what we get. We get a flashback to the younger Ben Foster character, the younger Warren Worthington, who is actually trying to cut off the wings from his back. He's so ashamed of them that he's trying to cut them from his body in a scene that isn't really that disturbing. It's not what David Croneberg would do with it, but you could imagine what he might do with it. And then later we see when he finally kind of revels in the full force of his wings when he does come out to his family, and that's one of those metaphors or one of those analogies that go with a lot of X Men characters, and it certainly ties to Warren Worthington as well. Now, depending on the movie and its scope, he could also turn into archangel, which he does and apparently this happens in X Men Apocalypse. Apocalypse turns him into this dark, foreboding character who merges with technology, and those wings go from being feathers to these, as they're described in front of me, techno organic wings. He can fly higher and faster and their razor sharp with feathers that are throne as blades with the neurotoxin.
Speaker 1: We're really in video drum territory, are.
Speaker 2: Aren't we. So that's the thing. It's just something about that combination of body horror and potentially body and technology converging the consequences of that convergence that seems so appropriate for Cronenberg and then Chalome. I'm going with Chalome because he's probably the actor I'm most curious to see whatever he does next. At this point, I feel like he can do just about anything. And even though his hair is obviously dark, depending on what Angel you go with, if you google him, usually you'll find someone who has either very long, flowing blonde locks or well quoafed, sort of straight up kind of hair, but longish and shallow. May I think if you dyed that hair blonde, there's just something about that that screams Angel to me. And I think I'm also just naturally playing off of the character we see and call me by your name too, who is a rich kid. He's a little bit entitled, but there's also a fundamental goodness to him, and he's someone who's determined to discover who he really is, so playing off of that Elio character. And call me by your name, dye that hair blonde, give him some wings, and he's Angel.
Speaker 1: That's good, but you should know I am also considering a proposal via Twitter from at Hugh Underscore Goldolphin David Cronenberg's.
Speaker 2: Hulk, So pretty good match. That makes sense, but.
Speaker 1: Maybe he can do both. We'll see maybe, all right. My number three is Anna Rose Holmer's Doctor Strange.
Speaker 2: Ooh.
Speaker 1: Now, the winner of the twenty sixteen film Spotting Golden Brick Award, has yet to announce her next feature project, so I say give her the next installment in the Doctor Strange series. We recognized Homer for The Fits, a spectral indie in which the members of a competitive girls dance team begin to suffer these unexplained seizures, and the Fits is very much rooted in reality, but here and there Homer offers these subtle cinematic flourishes that flirt with the supernatural. And then there's that ending, which launches us unexpectedly and really without much explanation, entirely into the realm of the metaphysical. I don't want to spoil it because some listeners might actually have not seen The Fits yet, and you should really see The Fits. Well. Doctor Strange takes place almost entirely in the metaphysical, and while I like the first film well enough, I do think that, like so many of the Marvel movies, it was in danger of being swallowed up by the CGI in order to depict this metaphysical world. So I'd be really curious to see how Homer's low fi approach might shake things up.
Speaker 2: A yeah, great tie into my number three, Josh, because initially Anna Rose Holmer was the director I had attached to my project. Really, so, okay, she's gonna be very busy yes at film spotting studios, but I did back her out. I went with another director, even though Holmer could do a wonderful job. I think this is going to be your favorite of all of my pitches, all right. Sarah Paully's Rogue starring Anya Taylor joy Ooh, the actress of course from Split recently and The Witch, which is where I think we both discovered her. And I'll get to why I'm going with Polly in a moment, but you probably remember Rogue. Anna Paclan played her in the Brian Singer X Men movies. And just based off of appearance, there is something otherworldly, immediately otherworldly about Anya Taylor Joy. There is just a haunted aspect to her that I think is so fitting with the rogue character. But I also think she's able to bring the sense of playfulness she might need as well being a teen girl or a twenty something girl. She does have this dark past based on what I've read about Rogues past. She was raised by her aunt Carrie after some tragedy involving her parents, and she ran away and she's taken in by Mystique, who we know from those movies is connected to Magneto and her power. Basically, her mutant power is that whenever she touches someone, she takes their powers from them. And it all started with and this is depicted in those X Men movies a Kiss. She has her first teenage kiss and her mind fills with all his memories and he falls into a permanent coma, and so then she's always on the run. She's always haunted by that experience, and she doesn't know how she can really engage with society with that type of power that she could inflict on other people. So I mentioned Taylor Joy. I looked up her origin. She's Argentine, British and born in Miami. There's just something unconventional about her appearance that I think is fitting for the Rogue character. And apparently someone beat me to it, because I did discover that she's already been cast in a Fox spinoff, The New Mutants. She plays Magic, a character named Magic, a girl who has learned sorcery and uses teleportation discs to travel. I didn't discover that until I'd already cast her in my movie. Though. Yeah, I know Marvel's against that you can't play different superheroes, but she's gonna be in my version of Rogue, directed by Sarah Paully. And here's why I went with Polly. You think about take this Waltz. Away from her stories we tell they ask questions about origins, where you come from? Even to be very literal about it, who are my parents? Who do I latch onto as my parents? A movie like away from Her, you have characters who are no longer in control of themselves. Whether it's your mind or your body, you're not in control of it. And then even take this Waltz, the movie starring Michelle Williams and Seth Rogan. It's all about that physical disconnect and the frustration that comes from a lack of intimacy, which obviously afflicts this rogue character.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling that of all the directors we're talking about, Sarah Polly would be the one to say absolutely not probably thinking not a comic book movie, but I for one, would be very intrigued to see her try to do it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Let's get to some listener feedback here. We did get some great voicemails with their picks for superhero director combos they'd like to see.
Speaker 6: Hey, Adam and josh as Ben Howis from North Hellow, California, culling in for my choice for who should direct a superhero film who has not yet? I guess you could consider it a point break a superhero film, But yes, I'm picking Catherine Bigelow, who's never acted a true superhero film.
Speaker 1: Let's be on it.
Speaker 6: I think she's a fabulous action director. But even though I liked her first two collaborations with Mark Bull, really did not like Detroit and I kind of she'd move on, and I feel like a superhero movie might be an interesting way to do so. Particularly he picks up what interesting. I would pick Green Arrow. He has a very popular shown CW, which is really unfortunate because it's pretty much nothing to do with Green Arrow. It's more about hot guys and apps, which has its place. But the actual Green Arrow is sort of a rebel, a seventies creation who's a guy who fights against corruption and financial abuse and in sort of a post two thousand and eight, post big Short world, I feel like we could go have some interesting discussions about a guy maybe taking down corrupt bankers and the like and what does that mean? And I think she could sort of go back to her old exciting point break era Strange Days style filmmaking, but still have some of that political relevance that she loves so much in her modern films and create something really interesting. I feel like we need a superhero film that actually, I don't know, pisses people off and causes a little bit of controversy and things like that. I think that might be interesting. So Katherine Bigelow, please come back and make cool action movies. I miss you doing so all right, touch you all later bye.
Speaker 2: I'd pay to see Catherine Bigelow's controversial Green Arrow, wouldn't.
Speaker 1: You you know what? I thought might be along those lines controversial for her as well to take on a Captain America movie. I mean, think about the ways, as Ben was mentioning, she has explored and interrogated the notion of patriots.
Speaker 2: Good word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to let her loose on that might be fun as well.
Speaker 2: We're at your number two, Josh.
Speaker 1: Okay for number two, this follows nicely your number three, which was a pick of an X Men character who hasn't really gotten their full due in some ways. Mine is going to be Storm, and the director for that character I think should be de Re's now. Storm has been played by Halle Berry and alec Xandra Ship. So far, I don't think.
Speaker 2: You're going Mary j Blische might be a little on.
Speaker 1: The older end. Okay, do I have someone cast for this? Let me think about that. I'll see if I can give you some come back to it. But for the Storm movie and d Reees, I think there are a couple of reasons this is a nice pairing. Reees has obviously, as an African American woman, been a boundary breaking filmmaker, with twenty eleven's Pariah and last year's Mudbound and Storm boundary breaking character from what I could tell the first black female superhero. Now, of course, the character was created by white guys Okay Lenn Wine and Dave Cockrum in nineteen seventy five, and she's largely been depicted by white men, both on the page and on the screen, so obviously there are limitations to that, and I think that's why rees could bring such a different and exciting perspective to the character beyond the identity politics.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: Reeves showed with mud Bound in particular that she has an eye for landscape and weather. Think about that rainstorm that Mudbound opens with, and Storm's power, of course, is the ability to control just those things. I'd suggest that Ree's also reteam with Rachel Morrison, who's up for an Oscars for her work on mud Bound. Okay, so who should play Storm? How about Tiana Parris, who was in Dear White People and who I loved in Spike Lee's Shirak. The sort of the lead role there really good. She might make for a strong Storm.
Speaker 2: I like it, And we're going to go from your pick. What did you say, the first black female superhero? I think so, Okay, Well, I've got the first black superhero, at least in the DC Universe at my number two, how about Josh Jordan Peel's Green Lantern starring Daniel Koluja.
Speaker 1: Man, I can see this one happening me too.
Speaker 2: And I don't mean that they're playing Hal Jordan, the character that Ryan Reynolds played in the Green Lantern movie, but he would play John Stewart, who debuted in Volume two, number eighty seven back in December nineteen seventy one. Basically, the artist Neil Adams came up with the notion of having a substitute Green Lantern, and as it says here from I think Wikipedia or maybe a DC site, the decision to make the character black resulted from a conversation between Adams and editor Julia Schwartz, in which Adams recounts saying that given the racial makeup of the world's population, we ought to have a black Green Lantern, not because we're liberals, but because it just makes sense. And the character was DC's first black superhero. So he's been a recurring character in the Green Lantern universe ever since nineteen seventy one, sometimes stepping in for how Jordan. At one point he stepped down as Green Lantern, and I think what it is, Josh, is the idea for me of seeing a comedic take on the superhero genre. I know we've seen it to an extent with some of the humor and Guardians of the Galaxy, but really the vision and the comedic sense of a director like Jordan Peele. And maybe that's partly because I have seen the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern, which I think a lot of us would agree was unintentionally funny.
Speaker 1: Are you going to force me to admit that I liked that movie?
Speaker 2: God, well, this was worth it, just so you're on the record saying you liked that movie.
Speaker 1: But ro Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern.
Speaker 2: See see that movie is unintentionally comic. I'd like to see an intentionally comic take on Jon Stewart and Green Lantern. And I think, obviously the racial overtones of everything we just described, Jordan Peele would be the best person to navigate that serious but also potentially hilarious terrain. And it turns out I'm not that far off. In doing some research, Josh, apparently Warner Brothers, at least I found this on a website somewhere. Warner Brothers back in two thousand and four hired Robert Smigel to make a Green Lantern comedy starring Jack Black. Smigel said an interview that the premise that the wrong guy gets the ring and can do all kinds of goofy visual jokes because the visuals are so potentially ridiculous. What appealed to me about it on a comedic level was that in order to be a superhero this requires no physical skill or talent. All it requires is owning this ring automatically. That's a comedic premise. He's right, He articulated way better than I could. The fact that Green Lantern has just always struck me as a little bit silly, and so bringing someone like Jordan Peele to that material makes sense now. I also learned that there is a movie that is scheduled to come out part of this whole universe of films twenty twenty Green Lantern core Man. At this point, there's no director attached. Maybe they'll listen. There's no director attached, but it is described as, according to one website, lethal weapon in space. So I'm just saying that sounds kind of funny to me. You take Jordan Peele, you take a guy like Koluja, who they were so perfectly matched in Get Out, and that's a movie that not only brings lots of different elements to it, but the comedic merged with horror, merged with some action. I feel like they are the right pairing for a Green Lantern film.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna move that one to the front of the production pipeline. Okay, we'll see if we can beat that twenty twenty release to theaters. Love it my number one, I think, at least from the responses I saw on social media, Greta Gerwig was probably the filmmaker who came up the most all sorts of good recommendations from listeners. Maybe not a surprise. She's riding so high on Ladybird right now. She's just at the front of people's minds. I knew I had my Gerwig match early on. This is probably the first one I thought of and the one I really would be the most excited to see. Okay, Gretigerwig's Squirrel Girl. I take it you're unfamiliar with squirrel Girl.
Speaker 2: I am I familiar, but already I'm sold.
Speaker 1: All right. I can't blame you. I hadn't heard of squirrel Girl either until I think it was Toronto International film festal In twenty fifteen. Someone I was with wanted to check out a comic shop, so I went in looking for souvenirs for my kids and came across this series. So I picked up an issue for my daughter. I'm just going to share the Wikipedia description. Squirrel Girl is a human superhero with a proportional strength and speed of a squirrel, as well as the ability to speak with squirrels like her sidekick tippy Toe. She can also command an army of squirrels, which she typically uses to overwhelm her foes. Now Believe it or not, comics legend Steve Ditko I found out was actually involved with the character when she first appeared in nineteen ninety one. The one I picked up is a more recent one. It's from her first solo series, The Unbeatable squirrel Girl, written by Ryan North and drawn by Erica Henderson. Here in this run, Squirrel Girl leaves the Avengers Mansion to pursue college life, moving into a dorm and registering to study computer science. So this is pretty much picking up where Ladybird left off, only you know, with really weird superpowers. The issues I've read are really clever. There's a nice appreciation but also a tweaking of the Avengers mythology, and underneath it is a true affection for this main character, who I should probably note goes by the real name of Dorian Green. And basically I could see Doreen Green and Ladybird hanging out together on campus, which makes me think I'd really like to see Gretegerwiggs squirrel girl who should be Doreen. How about you know, at first, of course you think, well circa Ronan, but that wouldn't quite be right. How about Ladybird's best friend in Leading love It, Beanie Feldstein. Beanie Feldstein Girl, Okay, got to happen? Sold that that is such an inspired choice. I love Beanie Feldstein.
Speaker 2: Okay. I don't know if I can top that with my number one. This is the one, though, Josh, where I'm just gonna give you the superhero first, because we have a special guest who's going to play along with our Shenanigans. Here, the character is the Vision and you and other listeners may recall that when we reviewed Captain America Age of Ultron maybe it was Civil War, where I talked about the Vision. But he's born in Age of Ultron. I mentioned during one of those reviews that he was a fascinating character, and I kind of felt like he got sidelined a little bit. He's a very powerful character, and they didn't really deal with him maybe as well as I would have liked, especially in some of those battle scenes. People wrote in they said, if you like the vision, or you want to know more about the Vision, you have to read the new version of the Vision written by Tom King. I did that and thought it was brilliant. It also turns out Tom King longtime Film Spotting listener. He's left us a voicemailer two over the years. And so I thought, if I'm going to project onto the Vision the director that I think is best for the material, why not go right to the guy who wrote the vision and let's have him explain who would bring the proper vision to his material.
Speaker 5: Hello Film Spotting Listener, this is Tom King. I'm the writer of Batman for DC Comics and The Vision for Marvel Comics, and I've been kindly asked you, in my opinion, who could be the director of the Vision movie. My first instinct, is a loyal Film Spotting listener, is to both go arts to cheat maybe resurrect Igmar Bergmann from the grave to do a vision with a lot of robots staring at mirrors. But then I thought, no, what do I really want to get out of a Vision movie? And the answer was obvious, and it's money, lots of money. So then my mind went to how how can I accomplish that noble goal? And I was thinking, well, I mean, James Cameron made the biggest money making movie of all time with Avatar, and I can't really speak too much of the writing of Vision, but I feel it's a it's a better basis than Avatar for a movie. So you know, Urmader Aliens are pretty good movies. So yeah, if I had to pick one person to make a Vision movie, I'm going to James Cameron. And I don't have like Atom level kids, but I have enough kids to put through college that I think that would work. Thank you Film Spotting, and thank you Adam and Josh. Appreciate the show and I'll keep listening.
Speaker 2: Well, who does have Adam level kids?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Josh? Okay, thank you so much, Tom King. James Cameron a great choice. And here's why. Let me give you a little bit of background about the Vision and the storyline that Tom King explores in the recent Marvel series. This is the little synopsis. The Vision wants to be human, and what's more human than family. So he heads back to the beginning, to the laboratory where Ultron created him and molded him into a weapon, the place where he first rebelled against his given destiny and imagined that he could be more, that he could be a man. There he builds them a wife, Virginia, two teenage twins, Viv and Vin. They look like him, they have his powers, They share his grandest ambition or is that obsession, the unrelenting need to be ordinary? Behold the Visions. So based on that, you can see why Cameron, besides just the money factor and the fact that he'd probably bring in some box office why the guy who did make the movies Tom including the Terminator movies and these films about these alternate beings, would be a good fit for the Vision. But here's my dream scenario for the Vision, And I love, love, love Paul Bettany as the Vision. He's an actor I adore, so I really don't want to recast him. But if I had to recast him, I want to see the Cone Brothers, The Vision oh Man starring Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Part of it is just wanting to see Leo work with the Cone Brothers. He worked with that, I think he could. He has worked with everybody, all the big directors. The Cone Brothers are maybe the biggest name on the list that he still hasn't collaborated with. And he doesn't have maybe the mannered style of acting that Paul Bettany brings, the kind of technique we don't think of him that way as he plays this synthetic character, this robot character. But I think DiCaprio could do it. And I also think that he could sort of bring to it that bubbling underneath angst where he's always trying to restrain himself and play that perfectly composed character, that machine that doesn't overreact to scenarios, and yet with DiCaprio, it would just be there. It couldn't help, but be there under the surface.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would definitely make it more of a satire. I think if the Cohen's got their hands on it, and having read this series, that's definitely there, you know, there are, Yeah, there are satirical elements. So I see how that could go Yes, it's also a very like loneliness comes to mind.
Speaker 2: That's a big part of it. Josh and I think this series, the vision is about this family in the suburbs, and so even though we didn't even see it, we know they wrote Suburbicon, but it's not that because I didn't see it. What I'm really thinking of more and there are other examples, certainly from their filmography that fit with the vision. But A Serious Man a movie that does take place in the suburbs where everything is supposed to be perfect, and yet within each house, certainly the house that we look into, the Gopnik house, we see all those secrets and all the things that are under the surface. And also we see a character where his reality and dogma, the ideals, the things he subscribes to, or let's say, his programming, when those are challenged and destroyed, how do you react in that scenario? And at its core, the vision is about what makes us human, what makes a man? These big existential questions that I have always ascribed to the Coen Brothers' work, even some of their most specific genre work. Those questions are being asked throughout questions about what our destiny is the notion of fate, how in control we are of our actions. I don't think anybody explores that material better than the Cones, and they also, Josh explore it with humor. You brought in the notion of satire. I think that's there in the vision amidst all that darkness and bloodshed and those elements are in the vision. There's a comic absurdity to just existence that they always draw out. So that's my dream project.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was thinking about the vision, this is not going to get Tom King any money this version of it. Okay, this goes back to the loneliness idea after seeing a ghost story. I won't know what David Lowry would do with it. Good luck that would zero in, maybe on a little bit of a different angle, but would definitely capture some of the essence of what's going on in King's work.
Speaker 2: Okay, those are our top five superhero director combos we'd like to see. We think you have your work cut out for you. If you're going to challenge those or come up with better ones, you can email us feedback at filmspotting dot net. Before we get to any honorable mentions, we do have one more listener pick we want to play.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, this is Eric Hill from Frederick tan your Brotherswick, Canada. I think maybe my suggestion is David Lynch, as I would like to probably suggest David Lynch almost anything, but my initial desire would be to see him do something with the Hulk. But since there's so many Hulk movies already, the next logical step would be a she Hulk movie. You no she Hulk in Marvel Comics is the cousin, of course of Hulk also irradiated, And I thought Lynch, with his way of dealing with externalized depictions of multiple personalities and women in trouble, would be a natural thing. But to put a Lynch spin on it, perhaps he could ditch the whole CGI angle and just cast two different actresses to play the same part. Perhaps maybe Naomi Watts playing Jennifer Walters the lawyer part of the duo, and Uma Thurman playing sort of an angrier lawyer part of the duo. And I don't know beyond that, what would they fight, what would they battle? Some sort of microwave planet. I don't know, So long as maybe the villain at the end was a mutated version of Bobby Peru from Wild at Heart. Anyway, it's a loose idea for now, but you kind of get where it's going. Thanks a lot and have a great show.
Speaker 2: Well, if he didn't have me at David Lynch, and he did, he certainly had me when he added Naomi Watson Uma Thurman, and then it was really sold. Bobby Perue, I thought you had you at she Hulk.
Speaker 1: I beg you for a big.
Speaker 2: She Hulk guy. No nostalage.
Speaker 1: Your credibility ends there.
Speaker 6: Indeed.
Speaker 1: All right, so my honorable mentions, I'm just gonna list a few others from listeners because, as I said, Gretg Gerwig was so popular. Here are four Gerwig options I heard from Taylor s Cole, Kitty Pride from Aaron Schaeffer, Dazzler from Dave Enna Batman, and then at film Guy six one nine went with Batgirl.
Speaker 2: You made that up Film Guy six one nine.
Speaker 1: No, you'll find him there on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of Twitter, we do have to give some credit here, I think to Robert Lewis, the Reverend Robert Lewis, who wrote in going back to the very start of this segment with Wes Anderson directing a reboot of the original X Men in their original yellow and blue uniforms. He would do a great job with properly weaving their intricate stories together, his focusing on characters, his use of detailed sets, and exploration of emotions. So I'm guessing I'm going to give Robert the credit that he has not seen that YouTube video and instead was just going off of what you would like to see you but write in line with that YouTube video. Certainly, I was so worn out I expended all my creative juices Josh on those top five, and I love my top five. So I don't have any more pitches to give you. I do have just a few names. I jotted down two of them. You mentioned de Reese and Greta Gerwig. What about Barry Jenkins, Sean Baker, Jeremy sonje Spike Lee doing a superhero movie? And then a lot of people wrote in and said, well, you know, Edgar Wright could just make ant Man, Yes, and that would be great.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of ant Man angst relives.
Speaker 2: So those are some directors I'd like to see a couple other superheroes. Batgirl. We haven't gotten the Batgirl movie yet, so a take on that could be intriguing. One of our favorite villains came up on a recent top five superhero costumes. We did we really are the show about superhero pretty much? Maybe maybe we really do have geek cred. What am I talking about? Rorshak? Let's give Roschak his own movie, right and find a director who knows how to make those kind of great, pulpy noir stories. And then we need someone to do justice to Daredevil because the ben Affleck Daredevil. I know the there's a series. I think it was a Netflix series. I have not watched that series. I'm just saying for the big screen, we need to redeem the ben Affleck Daredevil. I don't know who the best director is for that. Maybe one of the names I mentioned, maybe a Jeremy Sonier would be great for Daredevil.
Speaker 1: This is going to shock you also mildly positive. I'm the ben Affleck Daredevil. Did do I get any credit for that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Or did I know? Actually?
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you're your whole list has been stricken from the record.
Speaker 6: He can hear it before it makes a sound, he can sense it before it happens.
Speaker 2: So those are the superhero director combos that we'd like to see. We'd love to hear. We know it's an old top five, but we'd love to hear whether or not you'd like to see those combos, or if you have better producer vision than we do, you can let us know.
Speaker 1: It's been eight years and another years have been greenlit.
Speaker 2: I don't not that, not that we're aware, unless someone maybe it's in development, Maybe someone took our ideas.
Speaker 1: Let's say that, Yeah, yeah, they're all in development.
Speaker 2: Yes, in our minds they're all in development. Thanks for listening, everyone.
Speaker 3: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaker 2: The fine