Speaker 1: Take some long shots, guys.
Speaker 2: So this is the Denner cell, Is that right?
Speaker 3: Cash?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they suspect that later in the eighteenth century, after the expansion of the building, what we just saw where the jail keeper lived. That was added new and originally this served as the jail keepers living quarters, with the cells beginning on the other side of this wall, and then up on the second floor as well. We can go take a look at in some of them.
Speaker 5: As a matter of.
Speaker 4: Fact, if you'll want to come up the stairs, we move the barrier out of the way. Let be careful. Mortimers up there somewhere.
Speaker 6: Let's go up together.
Speaker 7: We shall be creaked out together.
Speaker 1: My daughters and I are back in Williamsburg, Virginia touring the old jail there with Cash ear Harts and Nicole Brown. Is this gold sund.
Speaker 7: Course? Sweet?
Speaker 1: Well, that's creepy. I don't think that's Mortimer.
Speaker 2: Him, that's him.
Speaker 6: There's a body in there.
Speaker 2: Hi, Yeah, we found Mortimer.
Speaker 6: Tell us about Mortimer.
Speaker 7: Uh So.
Speaker 8: Mortimer is the nickname that we gave to a large dummy, a mannequin that we used to use for a program called Williamsburg Crime and Punishment. And we used to suspend Mortimer from the gallows in the evening, and they would have some cressets set up some of the fire baskets to offer illumination to show people what it would have looked like to have seen a body suspended from the gallows.
Speaker 2: It is a really very visual kind of death.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that is so groovy.
Speaker 8: I love it.
Speaker 1: Back in October of seventeen sixty six, Colonel John Chisel faced the same fate as Mortimer, a possible public hanging. His attorney, John Wales, had been working hard to establish a convincing defense, but he couldn't promise an acquittal. The gentry class in the wealthiest colony in the United Colonies was understandably shaken. What would happen to them if Chisel were convicted, and how would it affect the class structure in the colonies.
Speaker 9: Gentlemen don't do those things, and gentlemen are not found guilty of murdering.
Speaker 2: Peasants to have a gentleman not just behave this way, but then the law bend in his favor rather than in the arc that we are hope it goes in. Is such a violation of trust? Is such a violation of identity? Is such a violation of one's individual self when looking at oneself as a British subject and saying, but would the law apply to me that way?
Speaker 1: In the seventeen hundreds, children across the city of Williamsburg, Virginia flipped through books at their schools and their churches. The common theme across their pages declared that status is everything you're born into the place God has meant to ordain you. And if God has ordained me to be a gentleman, and he ordained Robert Rutledge to be a merchant, then God did not mean for us to be on equal footing. But the murder of Robert Rutledge had created a disparity in the fundamental belief thou shalt not kill yes. But in this case it seemed that perhaps a merchant's lie was less valuable than a member of the gentry class. John Chisel was trapped.
Speaker 10: Colonel Chisel, if he is convicted of this felony, will forfeit his property, and in the forfeit of his property, he ruins his family.
Speaker 1: John Robinson's descendant, Simon Robinson, says that the General Court judges in Williamsburg and the colonies Governor were also trapped.
Speaker 7: I think those in power couldn't win almost if they convicted him. They were convicting one of their own, and how that would be seen when they might want to be a view, well, it was only a commoner. He had it coming. I'm sure there was that view.
Speaker 1: This certainly wouldn't be the last time the courts struggled to reconcile the law in the handling of a suspected murder by a member of the upper class. Ever hear of the Chapiquittic incident. It's a very famous case in history, involving the death of a middle class woman and a politician from a storied family. On July eighteenth, nineteen sixty nine, Senator Ted Kennedy drove his car off a bridge on Chapiquittic Island in Massachusetts. The accident killed a twenty eight year old campaign strategist named Mary Joe Kopeckney, who worked for Kennedy. The subsequent investigation led to minor charges for Kennedy, but derailed his aspirations to run for president. Yet many questions remained about Kapeckney's death and if Kennedy should have been held responsible. Historia Nicole Brown says she can see the parallels between the two cases white male privilege.
Speaker 2: At what point is somebody considered too valuable to be held accountable for their behavior? But what it also makes me think of, you know, it sounds like Edward Ruloff, and you're asking and asking this question of how far can someone get away with their status before they're challenged on their behavior.
Speaker 1: Edward Ruloff is from my book All That Is Wicked and Season one of this podcast. In eighteen seventy one, he was executed for murdering a shopkeeper during a botched robbery, but he had killed four people from his own family beforehand. Rulof was a killer, even he admitted, But he was also a genius, and there were many people, including Mark Twain, who believed that it would be a waste to execute him. What if his mind could be harnessed for good instead of evil? Privilege? Colonel Chisel was privileged. As he sat at his dining room table on Tuesday, October fourteenth, there were still death threats. He didn't feel safe. Death in the news would humiliate his family and they would lose everything. But still, he had stabbed a man in front of a room full of witnesses. It was privilege that allowed him even the possibility of escaping punishment. Chisel surely understood that the governor and the General Court were in a tough position. They had already done so much for him, and now the public was turning against them too. The next day, a visitor arrived at the Chisel home on Saint Francis Street. As they stepped inside, they made an upsetting discovery.
Speaker 2: Colonel chisels I'm dead in his home.
Speaker 1: There's not a lot of information about John Chisel's death. For good reason. It was kept secret, and then the details were very vague. We don't even know what room he was found in, or the state of his body. We just know for certain that John Chisel was dead.
Speaker 2: Did his family know he was dead? They're all staying at the house with him. In theory the children were all there. I think so, but they might not have been so. Did they find out to the newspaper? These are some answers we just don't have.
Speaker 1: Was he murdered. Did one of the angry protesters break in and kill him? That was definitely a possibility. But when the coroner arrived and examined John Chisel, he made a decision about the cause of death, and then his ruling was printed in the newspaper, the Virginia Gazette. John Chisel had died from nervous fits. Nervous fits I've talked about that phrase in past seasons. It's a vague nineteenth century term, but essentially they're describing a stroke or a heart attack brought on by stress.
Speaker 2: Now it says in the paper he'd died from nervous fits due to and I'm paraphrasing here, essentially being troubled. So that would imply that he's under some level of stress, Whether he has suffered from some type of mental illness or he is depressed.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 1: The coroner's report specifically said nervous fits owing to a constant uneasiness of the mind. Julie Richter says, in this case it was coded language for suicide. But that would never have been said about a member of the gentry for several reasons.
Speaker 6: What we would call mental illness today, you know, emotional turmoil is something that was supposed to be handled within the family.
Speaker 1: Historian Neil Darby explains the other reason that Chisel's death wouldn't have been labeled that way. Suicide wasn't allowed.
Speaker 3: It is kind of you know, you should not. You don't have the capacity to take your own life, and God has the power to take that, so it's it's a religious thing.
Speaker 1: In the seventeen hundred, suicides were categorized in two different ways.
Speaker 3: There were two different types of suicide. So there was a fellow to say which was self murder, and then there was suicide by buttons of your mind being disturbed recently. So you had the two different types, and you know that they would kind of distinguish between them. So which was the better form? Which was the not so nice form.
Speaker 1: Historian and interpreter Nicole Brown says suicide was illegal in the seventeen hundreds in England and the colonies, and so it was your family who would actually suffer.
Speaker 2: In the eighteenth century horribly. Under English common law, death to one's person by oneself is still considered a felony. All his property, everything he owned would be forfeit, and his wife and daughters under English common law for free English women, all of it would be forfeit.
Speaker 1: With so much writing on the specifics in this case, it was strange that the city's coroner had issued only a vague description of Chisel's cause of death. He certainly didn't indicate whether it was a suicide or murder, or even an accident. Nicole Brown says that unless the reason for death was obvious, like rope marks around the neck or slice marks on the body, it was more difficult to sort out what happened than it is today, and that was particularly true if poison were involved.
Speaker 2: To be as sensitive as I can to a very difficult topic, there are some methods that are more visible than others, and in the eighteenth century you can't do a toxicology report, so if he died by suicide with poison, it would be harder to prove, and legally that's very important.
Speaker 1: The coroner didn't describe any injuries found on Chisel's body, including signs of poison or anything else really, so it's conceivable that maybe he just couldn't make a clear determination. But in this case there was another reason. The coroner of Williamsburg was one of Chisel's good friends. John Chisel's family would have lost everything if he had died by suicide. It was the law in the United Colonies. In fact, suicide is still considered a crime in twenty countries. Today, attempted suicide is punishable by fines of thousands of dollars and up to three years in prison. In seventeen sixty six, Virginia, not only was Chisel's financial future in jeopardy, so was his reputation.
Speaker 2: Everybody has lots of different choices, but when it comes to the significance of one's status, and status is everything because it's connected to power in Virginia, I think he may have felt this was the only choice, which shows you how profoundly important status is. I mean, if this is what you consider better than going to prison.
Speaker 1: In life, Colonel John Chisel and his wife Elizabeth, and perhaps their adult children had attended a church that serviced the gentry in Williamsburg. It was called the Bruton Parish Church, and by the time that Chisel had died, the church was almost one hundred years old. Bruton was a storied institution, and some of the founding fathers had even worshiped there. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Patrick Henry all attended services when they were in Williamsburg. After the Stamp Act passed in seventeen sixty five members of the House of Burgesses complained and fretted during a service at Bruton, and it even served as a space for debates that would lead up to the Revolutionary War. Some of the most important men in the colony attended services there, and tombs and monuments in the church and the churchyard were tributes to royal governors, members of the council, and local leaders who had been part of the esteemed congregation. John Chisel's status in life meant that he was destined to be buried at Routin or in a prominent location in his family plot at Scotchtown, but after his death a series of events plunged his family into further despair. Local leaders suspected that he had died by suicide, and because suicide was considered self murder and a felony, anyone who had taken their own life was forbidden to be buried there. So Chisel was banned from being buried at Rutin, which must have been very humiliating for the Chisels and the Randolphs. Instead of holding an upper class service for him amongst the gentry, his family was forced to load his coffin onto a horse and cart and send his body off to the family's plantation surreptitiously in Scotchtown, almost seventy five miles away from Williamsburg. Chisel's wife and his four daughters planned to hold a service on the land where he was born. By this time, word had spread among the colonists that Chisel had been found dead. He would not be jailed, he would not be convicted of murdering Robert Rutledge, and he would not face their idea of justice at the gallows. The colonists were outraged, and the lack of details from the corner and the city's leaders made it worse. They were convinced that Chisel had faked his death to escape the death penalty. Once again, John Chisel had been given privilege. A member of the gentry who brazenly murdered a lowly Scottish merchant had gotten away with it.
Speaker 10: They're really pissed off now they think that he is trying to escape to Britain, to London.
Speaker 9: But you know, the obvious thing is, you know hell Now the guys on a boat to Jamaica.
Speaker 1: Then the colonists learned that a coffin supposedly containing John Chisel would be buried at Scotch Town. They didn't believe it. The colonists did not believe that Chisel was dead. The gentry were once again protecting him. At this point, they trusted no one from the upper classes. They were all liars and cheats and above the law, and now John Chisel would be free to live his life somewhere else. He wasn't dead. They believed his coffin was full of rocks, and they planned to prove it. Word quickly spread around Virginia's countryside that John Chisel's body was being taken to Scotch Town. Robert Rutledge's many friends loaded people onto carts, mounted their horses, and rode off to Scotch Town, just in time to meet the coffin. Chisel's family had arrived for the service as well.
Speaker 9: And his daughter arranges for the funeral at Scotch Town. Supposedly, once the body gets to Scotch toown that is a mob of people who are basically Ruttledge people.
Speaker 1: The carts driver tried to move through the crowd, but it was useless. There were too many of them.
Speaker 10: A mob shows up at the funeral procession and they block the procession and demand that they open the coffin in front of his family is presumably his wife, his daughter's everyone.
Speaker 1: This was already a difficult day for John Chisel's wife and children, so the crowd and the profanities and the sheer anger just compounded their His family was terrified.
Speaker 10: You can imagine the scene. You know, people are saying, please, you know, for Heaven's sakes, get out of the way, let these people grieve. All this, and the mob just will not listen.
Speaker 1: The mob grew even louder. They demanded that someone opened the coffin immediately. They demanded proof that he was actually dead. The people riding with the coffin realized that the crowd wouldn't be satisfied until they saw his body, so they retrieved a bar and pried open the coffin. Several of religious friends looked inside and saw a body, somebody's body.
Speaker 10: The body has I think the phrase they use is blackened, decomposed over the course of the time. It's summer, so it's probably happened pretty quickly. It's decomposed to such a state that nobody in the mob can recognize the body.
Speaker 1: Remember there was no embalming in the seventeen hundreds, so it didn't take very long for a body to degrade, and this was an especially hot Virginia summer. The mob wasn't satisfied. How did they know it wasn't someone else? Chissel's family wept. Finally, a relative named Colonel William Dabney stepped forward and confirmed it. Yes, this was John Chisel.
Speaker 10: And it's not until they actually force some of the close relatives of Colonel Chisel to come over and look at the body that they confirm that's who it is, and the mob is satisfied enough to disperse.
Speaker 1: What a disturbing scene that must have been, a mob forcing a grieving family to probably open their dead family patriarch's coffin. But they knew that John Chisel was a murderer, and they had been convinced that his powerful friends were helping him get away with it, and they had had enough.
Speaker 2: The protest that really culminates in this case is at his funeral, in people refusing to accept what someone who previously six months prior would be defined as there better as the truth.
Speaker 1: They were protesting the inequity of it all, the privilege that Chisel had been offered in life, even when he was free on.
Speaker 2: Bail, Colonel Chisel has an endless amount of resources. He's allowed to still have access to his property. He's been given bail for an enormous son, six thousand pounds, two thousand for him and another four thousand for the four people vouching for him, which is insane. He's still allowed to have access to what he perceives as his property, which are the enslaved individuals. He allowed to visit his lead minds in the summer. He literally travels hundreds of miles outside of the city. If he had wanted to disappear at that point, he certainly could have. He doesn't What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Is he I illusional enough to think this isn't gonna happen.
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. I don't know the answer to that, but I think it's a compelling It's a compelling question which has no answer. Was he in denial? Did he see it as a matter of honor?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're a gentleman and you see everyone as beneath you, then you're probably gonna be shocked when all of a sudden you're held accountable and who held him accountable. Who held him accountable, I would argue, would be not only concerned anonymous citizens in the gazette, but people who are saying, whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait a minute, you should not be able to receive bail from murder. I think the minute that this fallacy hypocrisy of different laws applying to different people based on race is no longer no longer applied on race. In Chisel's mind, it's the citizens or the subjects of Virginia who who respond and say, no, you're not allowed to kill whoever you are because you're a gentleman, and then have no consequences.
Speaker 1: John Chisel and Robert Rutledge's argument and then the merchant's murder shook the foundation of Williamsburg. And then it was talked about for decades to come, and it's been written about in history books. Some of America's most important men knew John Chisel, They were affected by him and his death.
Speaker 2: In various ways. Patrick Henry is connected to this case through scotch Town. Thomas Jefferson is connected to this case through his future father in law. And at this point even the new Guard is still gentry. They have to have thought or pondered or reflected upon it because it if pacted one of what they would perceive as their ilk. Certainly it touched everybody's lives in Williamsburg, whether directly or indirectly, I think probably made for a very hot, sticky, uncomfortable summer of truth discovering for individuals.
Speaker 1: By the time that John Chisel died in seventeen sixty six, the rebels and the loyalists were becoming more distinct. Men and women began taking sides. Were you loyal to the King of England or were you loyal to the increasingly outspoken leaders like Patrick Henry who declared that colonists deserve to be free from tyranny.
Speaker 2: To jump between what happens with the Stamp Act all the way to declaring independence in less than eleven years or eleven years approximately, is it cataclismic shift?
Speaker 1: A revolution was coming very quickly.
Speaker 2: The only metaphor I can think of is if you're standing between two tectonic plates and they start shifting. I think with this case, though, you know, the Stamp Act is more universally disparaged as well as the townshend duties, the tax on tea, the coercion acts, which we know is the intolerable acts, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: The colony of Virginia was very powerful and very influential, and the people there were trapped between two immovable forces that were both determined to control the colonies.
Speaker 2: Virginia holds an immense amount of sway as a colony in how people respond to these acts and respond from being divided to finding a kind of common enemy which is not British law or British rights, but British individuals who've never been to the colonies infringing upon those British rights. I think the Chisel case fits in, though on a much more personal level, with Virginia, in the same way that the Stamp Act was seen as a violation of British rights on a larger international scale, the Chisel murder is a violation of what Virginians perceive as this unspoken but sometimes in the law certainly explicit relationship between individuals and their strata in society and what they are expected to do and how the laws apply to them.
Speaker 1: So this case was a sort of tipping point in the class struggles amongst the colonists. But of course we have to remember that there was still another very large population in Virginia who were ignored and under virtual complete control, enslaved people who were essentially dismissed by the law, regardless of their class. There were no white colonists demanding that a member of the gentry be hanged for murdering a black person.
Speaker 2: The hypocrisy, I can be murdered by my owner and people won't make this much of a stink. So you don't really have to look at the free white British subjects who are seeing this as a violation. You have to look at the half of the population in Williamsburg who are black majority enslaved, but even free blacks saying what a hip critical turn of events. Both of those are cataclysmics reimaginings.
Speaker 1: So what does this case represent to the gentry of the colonies?
Speaker 7: Do you think?
Speaker 1: Is there fear that we see that this could happen to us, that we are not untouchable.
Speaker 2: Fear might be part of it, But the greater thing, I think is this idea of shame as well. If status is one of those things where if a gentleman as a gentleman should behave as a gentleman, then people are I would imagine both nervous by how individuals are being held accountable as well as ashamed that one of their ilk would behave in such a way.
Speaker 1: There's one more possibility we should talk about concerning Chisel's death. It's the PostScript that I mentioned. Patrick Henry would later become a founding father, one of the men who would sign the Declaration of Independents ten years later, and he was at the procession in Scotch Town where Chisel's coffin was pride open. Like the rest of the crowd, Henry stepped toward the coffin and surveyed the body inside.
Speaker 9: Patrick Henry is one of the people that's in the crowd, and according to somebody, some people say Patrick Henry said that his face was black from like arsenic or something like that.
Speaker 1: Arsenic it's a very powerful poison. It's a classical poison that has been historically used for homicidal purposes. Suicide with arsenic could have been very quick if the dosage were large enough, but it would have been very painful. He would have experienced vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Those symptoms would be followed by numbness, and tingling of the extremities, muscle cramping and death. I spoke with doctor Neil Bradberry, who is a poison expert, and we talked about the blackened face that Patrick Henry might have referred to. Doctor Bradbury says that arsenic poisoning is associated with hyper pigmentation of the skin, So while it is unlikely that the victim's whole face was blackened, the hyperpigmentation and overgrowth of skin would give the appearance of dark patches on the skin. Of course, this takes time and would be more consistent with long term ingestion of small doses rather than a quick large dose. So is it likely that John Chisel used arsenic to take his own life. I'm not so sure, and doctor Bradbury is skeptical. He said this sounds more like an accidental overdose or it could have been intentional. Nicole Brown and Simon Robinson agree that suicide might not have been his cause of death.
Speaker 2: But but he has enemies, he has enemies. We don't know, We don't know.
Speaker 1: It's possible that.
Speaker 2: Somebody killed him. It's possible, absolutely, so.
Speaker 7: He may well have committed suicide. And I don't want to inflame. Any more conspiracy theories across North America, I think you've had plenty. But you know, you could almost say was he offered it, was.
Speaker 1: He depressed enough to take his own life that night in October, or was he forced or convinced to take his own life, or did someone ambush him just to save the reputation of the gentry class. We may never be sure exactly how John Chisel died, but it's clear there could have been even more dramatic outcomes.
Speaker 7: So if it been convicted, he would have been a gentleman being hung or beheaded however they wished to do it in those days. If it had been acquitted, the populace could have risen up and you know, taken on the powers that be in Virginia. So maybe the way events transpired him, whether he did die a fit, or whether it was suicide or possibly encouraged suicide.
Speaker 1: Based on past events, Chisel would have likely been acquitted because of his privilege, but an acquittal would have triggered chaos in the lower classes.
Speaker 7: If he had been acquitted, the public reaction could have been explosive. So in some ways, I think it was almost a good result for those in power that he died on the eve of the trial.
Speaker 1: Some of the material out there about Chisel is misleading. He didn't die the night before his trial. He died in October, and his trial wasn't scheduled until mid November when the new Assembly convened. He didn't die the night before he was to be taken to jail either. His attorneys were still building their case at that time. I think murder is just as likely as suicide, and many colonists agreed with me. This story also spoke to how widely and quickly the gossip spread. There were many, many rumors about Chisel's death.
Speaker 9: Now, these are different things that I've heard, but I have no documentation for any of it. But I've heard that he hanged himself.
Speaker 6: I've also heard that too.
Speaker 9: Another one is that he's found dead on the floor, and I have no documentation that says okay. And then there's the third thing that I've heard, again no documentation at all, is that he's murdered, really by the governor and some of his associates, his friends.
Speaker 7: To make this go away.
Speaker 9: He's a problem the governor or, you know, maybe as high as the governor, but maybe not but you know he's a big problem. Let's make the problem go away and somebody else poisons him.
Speaker 1: Once John Chisel was buried on his property in the countryside, his family was left without a patriarch. Nicole Brown believes that Chisel likely made the decision to take his life in part for the sake of his family. She reminded me of their financial situation during my interview with Robert Weathers.
Speaker 2: Basically, under English common law, if you commit a felony to oneself, or you commit a murder to yourself suicide, it's considered a crime against your person, and like with other felonies, your entire estate is forfeit too. Coblica, you know, when we're talking about privilege. I think Chisel in some ways still gets the last laugh in that The belief from several historians when you look at the primary records is that he probably did commit suicide, but no one calls it that publicly, which means that publicly his family still gets to maintain their status and their money because no one is going to bring that crime of suicide against him.
Speaker 1: Carson Hudson reminds us that John Chisel's death impacted his family and the colony of Virginia.
Speaker 9: Some consequences of that are that Scotch Town, which is where Chisel was born and where he was buried, it had been a family possession. It went to his daughter and son in law, and because of the debts that were owed because of the Robinson scandal, she had to sell it, so it falls into Patrick Henry's hands.
Speaker 1: Despite John Chisel's death, his four daughters and his wife continued on. His two unmarried children, both wedded, wealthy men. His wife, Elizabeth, died ten years after he did. The Randolph family survived at Chisel's humiliation, but there was still the taint left from John Robinson's financial scandal.
Speaker 6: Too much power in one person's hands led to embarrassment, murder, financial problems that were widespread. And that is abundantly clear that that lesson was learned very quickly.
Speaker 1: And yet both of the families carried on because the story of John Robinson's theft and the deception had been reframed by the gentry.
Speaker 7: You know, I think that there had also been a narrative that John Robinson was a lovely fellow. He was just trying to do right by the planters and others. Who was really struggling. It was his generosity that was his failing. So I think there was a narrative, maybe created to gloss over what we can call fraud and dress it up as something a lot more palatable.
Speaker 1: I asked historian Julie Richter about this story and its legacy. I wish there were more documents, even more information, even though I have a lot of it. What really happened to John Chisel that night in October.
Speaker 6: I'm one who firmly believes that will keep finding more documents from the eighteenth century. People go through addicts, archives, finished processing documents. You know, maybe someday somebody will or a letter or even a diary that will add another piece to this puzzle of this mystery. But it must have been horrendous to a witnessed so I guess another lesson as a historian, as a people in the past suffered trauma too.
Speaker 1: Julie says that there are many victims in this case, not just Chisel's family or religious family and his friends. The people in the tavern who witnessed this event carried the tragedy with them. The enslaved person who was ordered to bring the sword would have been traumatized.
Speaker 6: I mean, slavery is a violet institution inherently, but this young boy is most likely in the audience. It seems like a wrong word, and there may have been other children in the tavern who are serving the customers. So you're going to have people from a swath of the Virginia society seeing this and then going to repeat the story too. It's just cip yeah, it's yeah. It is trauma, and it's one that would have deeply affected people.
Speaker 1: One note about Robert Rutledge and his legacy. The Scottish merchant had died intestate and without errors. Because of that, Rutledge's two hundred and seventy two acres of land were given to the Colony of Virginia. The same men who protected his killer now had possession of his land. After America became America as we know it now, the land was officially owned by the Commonwealth of Virginia, and then something special happened. In seventeen ninety four, Virginia lawmakers turned over the land once owned by Rutledge to a university called Hampden Sydney College. It's now a private men's liberal arts college. Robert Rutledge, the commoner had contributed to higher education. So that is Rutledge's legacy. But what about John Chisel.
Speaker 10: Father in law of the Speaker of the House of Burgesses, married to a randof represented by a Wales who is a randof two? Is he not? All of these people know each other and are intermarried. And what do we love more than rich people behaving badly?
Speaker 5: And that's really kind of what you see throughout seventeen sixty six, with all of these different events, with the repeal of the Stamp Act, with the towns and Duties set into place, the Declaratory Act in Parliament. In some ways, I would liken it to the United States in nineteen sixty eight, or much of America in twenty twenty, with the protests against police killings of unarmed black citizens. There are these incidents that inspire individuals to protest to try to make sure that their rights are being preserved.
Speaker 1: The time right before the Revolutionary War was electric. Everyone could feel that something was coming. Robert Weathers says that Robert Rutledge's murder was another match strike in the bomb that would begin the American Revolutionary War.
Speaker 10: It is hard for me to overstate to you, considering that this is a case, I think that ninety nine point nine to ninety nine percent of people have no idea of, or have ever heard of, how important this individual decision is to the era of the American Revolution.
Speaker 1: The scene had been set because of the King's tightening of the colonist's rites and in turn their fury over their lack of freedom.
Speaker 10: The Stamp Act the previous year shook the foundations of trust in the overruling government of the British Empire. But this shakes the trust of the mid and lower class in their rulers here in Virginia, the gentry class. And that has to be a terrifying notion in a slave holding society, and it has to be a terrifying notion for the top two percent.
Speaker 1: It's incredible to think how one murder can lead to so much.
Speaker 10: A lot of people are of the impression that the revolutionary war begins in April of seventeen seventy five at Lexington and conquered. But those men, I'm telling you, those men do not stand on the green at Lexington without the events taking place here in Virginia. And that includes Chisel, it includes Robinson. It includes the effects of the stamp tax. That includes Henry and his resolutions. All of these things, these point directly to one end. In hindsight, we can see it. The groundwork is late, and it's laid perhaps on what otherwise would have been a rather uneventful night, had an uneventful tavern with two uneventful people in Western Virginia.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this season of tenfold More Wicked on exactly Right. Our next season premieres in two weeks, but check out the trailer this coming Monday. As always, thanks for coming back each week. We love our listeners. If you love a good, real ghost story, my audiobook The Ghost Club is available on Audible now. I can't wait to tell you the real story about the world's most famous ghost hunter, who was the head of the world's most famous ghost club, and how he investigated England's most famous haunted house. Please also check out my books American Sherlock and All That Is Wicked. This has been an exactly right tenfold more. Media production producer Jason Whaling, Senior producer Alexis and Morosi, Consulting producer Kyle Ryan, researcher Nicole Brown, sound designer Eric Friend, composer Curtis Heath, artwork Nick Toga. Executive producers Georgia Hartstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer. Follow us on Instagram and Facebook at tenfold more Wicked and on Twitter at tenfold More