Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex bar Ba Lazar, Hello, everybody nailed it.
Speaker 2: Joined has always by our bar.
Speaker 1: Here is Evan Lazar and Alex bars I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm so fifty to fifty on that one. That was the hardest choice I made. Anthony Jennings, Mac Wilson. Which guy is it? But that's the hardest choice of all the stuff on the roster projection? Yeah, that was toughest one.
Speaker 2: What's tougher for you? The whole roster?
Speaker 1: Okay, right, go watch Save You're Worthy.
Speaker 2: We we do take a lot of pride and arguing about Anthony Jennings versus Mac.
Speaker 1: Apparently, I'm still mad you don't watch. I'm mad you still don't watch to Save your Worthy.
Speaker 2: Now I haven't. But also be careful about what you say about Mack Wilson because he's on the Twitter hunt. Is he that lately he's been He's been tweeting a lot.
Speaker 1: He's a good follow he is good for follow I saw it. So somebody tweeted him that they bought his jersey and they were like lifelong fan like that, like town proved the haters wrong. Yeah, and he tweeted back and he goes like, thanks, but I might get a new number. But don't worry. If I get a new number, I'll buy you a new jersey.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. That's the guy that gains.
Speaker 2: I'm not a you know, I'm not a big jersey number guy. You know that. But thirty on a linebacker is not my favorite. That's fair. I feel like linebackers, I want my linebackers in the fifties, you know, fifty to fifty one, fifty four.
Speaker 1: Some guys pull off the nineties numbers too.
Speaker 2: I feel like nineties is more like an edge though, Like I'm more thinking outside.
Speaker 1: Oh, like okay, yeah, middle linebacker.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I know that, you know, fifty four has got its lineage here, but yeah, like fifty four is the inside linebacker number to me, Like that's fifty to fifty two, fifty four or fifty one I think is good too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, yeah, there's not that many like inside linebackers. I'm like, was it Peter Bullwaer that wre ninety one or was it? I think so? And he played like next to Ray Lewis in the middle huh. That's that's I think the one kind of but I know it is Alex.
Speaker 2: And I will be with you for the next couple of hours. We do also have something on the docket for next week that we're looking forward to that we are are gonna put I'm going on on Vaca, Alex going on vacation for next week and gonna take a week off before the calm before the storm, which means that they'll sign DeAndre Hopkins and Dalvin Cook while I'm on Martha's vineyard in the whole world will turn upside down. But regardless, we're gonna have something for you next week at our usual times, So don't don't think that we're we're blowing you off a week before training camp, so be on the lookout for that. But today we're gonna really get into sort of the the meat and potatoes of our training camp review, just since I won't be here next week. So here here's the big part of the show will be we're gonna go position by a position again. But instead of going throughout the whole roster and talking like we did we did the roster projection show, We're gonna change it a little bit and do one big thing, one big thing at each position group. It can be a position battle like you know, training camp battle. It can be an individual player, it can be you know, whatever, whatever we want to do, we can do with Dad. And we'll also talk a little bit about what's going on in the news. Not much going on in the news, but I do want to get our evolving weekly. We have to have a weekly DeAndre Hopkins check in.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: You have to know where you're at weekly at this point with that one. So let's just get that out of the way really quickly, and then we'll get into the camp preview and you can call an eight five to five Pats five hundred email in at web radio at Patriots dot com, and we can weigh in on anything that you want to weigh in on there as well. But with DeAndre Hopkins, Alex, the more that this plays out, the more I am concerned that the Patriots are essentially I wouldn't even call it leverage. I would call a fallback plan for DeAndre Hopkins where if it had to come down to the Patriots of the Titans I think coming to New England. But the team that I continue to just be afraid of is Kansas City. If they get that Chris Jones contract extension done, they get some money, Maybe they convert some salaries to signing bonuses and things like that to get further under the cap. That seems like a great situation for him to play off of Travis Kelce and they could use it. I think last year they Mahomes Magic kind of put them over the top without tyreek Hill, but maybe that seeps in a little bit more for them two years are moved from trading Tyreek Hill that they don't really have that other guy besides Kelsey, So I think that they're a team that's lurking. Obviously Buffalo some of the rumors out there that they would take them at a discount, like a ring chasing type contract. He kind of called them out though and said, yeah, he's not doing that, So we'll see. But what's your where's your meter at right now? As you're check in on DeAndre Hopkins.
Speaker 1: I still think if if things stay the way they currently are, which isn't going to happen. It's the NFL things happen. But if things stay the way they currently are, I think he signs with Patriots, but that means the Chiefs don't open up more money. That means nobody gets hurt. That means, you know, on and on and on. And there was that report last week from Mike Reese that the Titans were being more aggressive and the Patriots kind of you know, they had their meeting and went from there, and a lot of people interpreted that as the Titans offered more money. I actually interpreted a little differently. I read that as the Titans made their offer and since have been saying, come on, man, looking forward to hearing from you what you got. You made it, you made up your mind, like they're battering him. Whereas the Patriots they put their offer on the table, they said, this is it. Yeah, let us know, call us, you know, we'll be here. And people may hear that and think of it as the Patriots being lazy. I don't think it is. Everybody's different. Some people don't like you know, he may have made it clear to them. I want to make my decision. I don't want to hear from you. Some people just operate that way. Maybe or maybe he didn't, and maybe this is just how they do business. Just this is our offer, take it or leave it. But it does feel like they are kind of sitting back and letting everything else develop. And I've said this before, I think they got to be aggressive if they really want to get this guy. I don't think this is a situation where you can just sit back and let the cards fall. Now, maybe if the circumstances seriously change, maybe if the Chiefs open up the money or somebody gets hurt, then they go and they say, all right, we realize your market's changed, and we're going to adjust our offer accordingly. But again, I think right now, if he had to decide today, he's a Patriot, but he doesn't have to decide today, and there's still a lot of time for things to change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a good way of putting it. I always look at the Patriots with contract negotiations, and I'm not saying that it's necessarily a perfect approach because it has. I think it's cost them players, and I think it's also gotten them players, right, you know. I think it's gone both ways over the years. But they're one of those teams that puts an offer out early, puts out an inquiry early. Sometimes it's not even a formal offer, just kind of floats their interest early and then maybe late in the process, one last phone call right of what's the number? What what? What do you think? And you know, And that's what my point is, I guess, is that the Patriots' most aggressive offer is never their first offer.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: They're not one of those teams that typically Now there's some exceptions, I think like Stefan Gilmour might have been an exception where they just immediately put the brinkstruck in the in the parking lot and said here you go, right, But I think that for the most part, they're a team that that tends to lurk more than they pounce, and late in the process maybe they get to the point where they say, all right, now we're gonna we're gonna offer you the big deal, or now we're gonna show you some legitimate aggressiveness or interest in the player. And I don't think DeAndre Hopkins is all that different. So that's where things stand now, turning the page to our our training camp preview, here a little bit where we're gonna operate under the assumption offensively and that wide receiver. When we get to wide receivers specifically, that deal and Hopkins is not a patriot untill he's a patriot, He's not a patriot, right, So just putting that caveat aside, I do want to start with the quarterbacks. I think the biggest thing from a training camp perspective. We've talked about how you're not really gonna learn what we need to learn about the quarterbacks and about Mac Jones in August, like this is more a conversation for like January. But in terms of what we've seen so far, I'm not expecting and we're not expecting. I think I can speak for you on this to see a quarterback competition in two weeks, Like, I don't think we're going to be seeing what we saw a couple of years ago with Cam Newton and Mac or Cam Newton and Jared Stidham and Brian Hoyer in the twenty twenty season. I don't think we're going to get into that sort of thing this offseason, which I do believe and I'm on the record with saying is a good thing. I think it's a waste of time. I don't think that it's really something that bet ifits anybody, if the two players were if I really thought bailey 'z appy was like a potential long term anser. Then maybe when it was like Cam Newton versus Mac, like totally different scenario, right right, this is I feel like the best thing interested the team is to go in all in one more year with Mac and see where you come out with it. I know that they were teasing me on unfiltered about seeing Mac yesterday and and chatting with him really quickly. But the one thing that I'm not gonna tell the story again, but the one thing that I'll take away from that he does look good, Alex, do you like hearing that he does look good? Yeah, he looks swoll, he looks a little thing.
Speaker 1: Wait, it's almost the best shape of his life season, So.
Speaker 2: I don't I'm not gonna say best shape of his life because I don't know the best shape he's been in his life. I don't know if he would agree with that statement. I also don't know, you know, I don't know how much it means, probably nothing. But what I will say is that he looks he looks ripped like, he looks like he's in good shape. He looks like he's ready to go. He he sounds like he's ready to go. So I think that the quarterback's in a good mindset right now, and we'll see what happens. But my big thing with the quarterbacks remains consistent, and that is you don't necessari I'm not at contract stage. I know the fifth year options coming up next off season. They do have some sort of deadline to make a contract decision. What I'm more interested in is is Mac a truck or is he a trailer?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Is he somebody that can put the team on his back? Is he somebody that can lead them to wins? Or is he somebody that they're simply going to win with and if they're gonna only win with him. I'm not as against that as I think some other people are. Like to some people, I'm just generalizing, you either have Patrick Mahomes or you don't. You either have Tom Brady or you don't, and everybody it's it's like Patrick Mahomes, it's Joe Burrow and maybe for some people not you, but for some people it's Josh Allen And then like everybody else just stinks right like that that's how some people operate. I'm not like that. I do think that you can win with more of like a serviceable average game manager, whatever whatever name you want to put on it type of quarterback. But again, if they picked that road, then they need to reflect that in the way that they build up the rest of the ross around him. They can't keep doing the same things that they did with Brady if they don't have an elite level quarterback. I'm not ruling out elite for mac Jones. I don't think it's gonna be a leap intol elite status. But I'm not ruling out a significantly better season for mac Jones then maybe even his rookie year in terms of esthetic Like I don't know if the statistics will be a lot better than his rookie year, but like how it looks and how it feels, I think that we could be taught having a much different conversation in six months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think he can be better than he was as a rookie. Absolutely. I agree with a lot of what you said. You know, we're not gonna get the reel answer on him until least Thanksgiving. None of that's happening in camp. The one thing I'll be looking for for mac Jones and camp specifically, is how comfortable does he look in the pocket, because last year, the first inclination that something was wrong was he was sped up. And I I feel like I give this explanation a lot, but I think it's really important for people to understand this. What sped up means. And every quarterback in their career has gotten sped up to some extent. Tom Brady would get sped up on the time from time to time. What sped up means is, you know, for an example, on a given play, okay, I need three seconds to get like the route it's gonna take three seconds to develop. You know I have three seconds to get this ball out, and you know you're gonna have the three seconds. Now, if all of a sudden you start getting hit at two point five, two point six seconds, then all of a sudden your internal timings thrown off, and then you start rushing things because even then, when you have the time, you don't know if you do. And Mac behind that offensive line last year and in an offense where the route patterns didn't match up with what he was being asked to do, and they didn't match up with each other, the timing was all off, and he got sped up and he never they were never able to reset his internal clock. Yeah, and everything snowballed from there. So and look, some times, like I said, Tom Brady would get sped up in individual games here and there, and he was very good about all right, I'm just gonna, you know, gota calm down, reset and they'll figure it out now. He also played behind much better offensive lines than what Mac Jones might play behind this year, especially at the tackle position. But some quarterbacks get sped up and they recover. Some quarterbacks get sped up and they never recover. That's what happened to Josh Rosen. Josh Rosen played behind the worst offensive line the NFL see in the last ten years, and he was panicky the rest of his career in the pocket. He never got over that. I'm not saying Mac Jones is gonna be Josh Rosen because I don't think he ever got sped up to that extent. But the biggest thing for me in camp is does he look comfortable in the pocket? Does he look confident in the pocket? Is he stepping into throws? Is he rushing throws? All of that? Was he able to kind of reset himself mentally from where he was at last year dealing with that pass rush. Now, I think O'Brien's offense is really gonna help because it's a quick release offense. He's not gonna have as many instances where he's sitting back in the pocket for three three and a half four seconds. It's gonna be more two to two and a half con But you know, again, we're not gonna get the big picture answer on mac Jones that everybody wants in that fifty year option. We can't even start talking about that until like Thanksgiving, But that's gonna be the first inclination again, is how comfortable does he look in the pocket?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a great point. And I think that it goes back to what I always think about it with any play, but with quarterbacks especially is what is mac Jones's carrying trait? Like what is his best attributes that allow him to whatever level of quarterback you think he was a couple of years ago, but like just be in the NFL, Like just be a starting quarterback.
Speaker 1: And it's his accuracy and especially his an intermediate accuracy and his football like Q. And I think the offense he was in for the majority last year minimized those traits and that's why a lot of people are sitting here saying, well, what exactly is it that Mac Jones does best. It's hard to tell because last year the things he does best weren't put on display, right.
Speaker 2: And that's if he can get back to being that smart and thinctive, quick decision making, accurate thrower that he was at Alabama and that he was in his rookie season with the Patriots, then I think their offense it will be fine. I definitely still have question marks about his ceiling as a quarterback in this league. You know what, what are that's fair? What are his physical ceilings? You know? What is his ability to create it out of structure as a big one obviously nowadays with all these mobile and athletic quarterbacks playing the position, but also just his ability to put the team on his back in the clutch moments and some of those intangible type of things like I'm not a big clutch guy like I take which is kind of hard to believe when you watch Tom Brady for twenty years.
Speaker 1: But I'm just I still, well, is it possible that you take it for granted?
Speaker 2: No? I just think that like what you're when you say, like a quarterback like Brady's clutch. What you're just really saying is that Tom Brady's really freaking good.
Speaker 1: Right, So, like, no, there's something for some players struggle in big moments.
Speaker 2: I guess. But if you look at like the like the leaders in fourth quarter comebacks and game winning drives, right, it's just the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Okay, the problem is oh okay, so like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are one and two. But I would for quarter comebacks like shocker.
Speaker 1: I would say the fourth quarter comeback. And this is completely different conversation, but the fourth quarter comeback stat itself is flawed, not the concept of clutch. Because if you get the ball to start a third quarter down two start or towards the end of the third quarter down to start driving down the field, getting a field goal, arrange third quarter ends, first play the fourth quarter, you kick a field goal, yeah, and then you put up and then you know, next defense possession, you get to pick six. Now you're up two scores, you coast the rest of the way. That's a fourth quarter comeback. No, yeah, I know there's some subject the stats. I would say that clutch is an unmeasurable clutch. It's just an unmeasurable That's fine.
Speaker 2: I just again, I feel like the quarterbacks that win playoff games and there clutch tend to just be the good quarterbacks. But that's besides the point. It's a semantics argument. Yeah, But I think the biggest thing with Mac is, you know, he has to give back to those carrying traits, like that's what makes you great. And I think last year at times, a lot of it was what they were asking him to do. Like you laid out, it felt like he was trying too too hard to like be a playmaker back there and let and make things happen. And when he's at his best, it just it's in rhythm, it's in sync, and it just kind of he's just distributing the ball so that it just happens on it naturally, right. There's it's not forced. Like when you watch Mac at Alabama, and I know it's a different game and he played with all these receivers YadA, YadA, YadA, we all know. But when you watch him at Alabama, it never looked hard, right, And it never looked hard. It never looked like he was forcing the issue. It never looked like he had to pull something out of his out of his back pocket or anything like that. And that's when I'm gonna know that Mac is back on the right track is when last year it looked hard for him. It looked overwhelming, He looked overwhelmed, he was frustrated. It showed visibly, but it also showed on the film like at what point it needs to look easy for him again? And he's that type of guy. He's not. I think sometimes that it looks hard for Josh Allen to play quarterback, but he's just so physically gifted that it doesn't matter a lot of the time, right he just overcomes it. I think Mac Jones is a natural quarterback that just needs to make it look easy. And we'll see if you can get back to that. And the last thing you mentioned pressure he missed the patients in the pocket. A lot of that comes from knowing where your answers are right, and I think that's when it comes back to the coordination too, Like if they have this blitz on, like how are we sliding the protection, how are we picking it up? Where's the hot route? Where's the distribution? Like where am I getting the football out to? Like those types of things are really really key. We got a cool email. I want to read an email right off the top. This is from Jeremiah, who is one of the lucky thirty kids that got to catch passes from Mac Jones yesterday at his clinic here at ja Led Stadium from the YMCA. I'm sorry, I'm blanking on where the YMCN was located, but he's actually a big fan of the show. Apparently. Oh nice, And he emailed it and he said, yesterday I was fortunate enough to catch passes from Mac and from first hand point of view, he did have a first hand point of view, it felt like he had some good velocity on the ball, so you know, to throw that. Phil Perry posted on Twitter it wasn't seventy yards in the air, okay, That football field is in the full hundred. That aside, it was probably like sixty right, like fifty to sixty yards in the air. I'm not good with I'm terrible at that. Like the landmarks and stuff, I'm terrible at it. I need rulers. Anyways, I was standing on the far end of the end zone from where he was throwing the football. You can actually see me in my gray polo off to the side if you look really closely. So I was to se in the far side of the field from where he was throwing that ball, and you could hear it. You could hear it like you could hear the wiz, the whizzing right of the ball going through the air. And I actually said to one of our our social guys I was standing next to me, I said that, you know, the ball that's got some zip on it, like these are these are some These are some fastballs. You know. He wasn't like going easy on these kids. He was. He was throwing some some real darts out there. I do think he looks a little bit stronger. I do think the ball's coming out well. I think his mechanics look good. Now, granted this was against air with absolutely no competition on the field whatsoever. But that's what it comes down to, uh for mac is we even last year, even with as big of a disaster as it was around him last year, his kept clean numbers were still good. He grated out well when he was kept clean. His passer rating was over one hundred when he was kept clean. In the pocket, we know that he can throw, He can go out there and sling it like that. All day long. He can do it. The question is going to ultimately be a we can he do it under pressure? Can he do it under duress? Can he do it from a muddied pocket when he can't step into it and really put his weight behind the football and he has to just kind of flick the wrists? Like can he get it there?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Those are the things that are going to be the big thing. But Jeremiah your one hundred percent right. That ball had some heat on it yesterday.
Speaker 1: But the other thing is, you know, I remember if he called it a catchable ball, like when he came out all the receivers, all the Pitcher series, the kid caught that pass. Oh yeah, that's impressive. It was a great catch. Yeah, doesn't say now my first.
Speaker 2: Route because obviously I wasn't like really thinking of football implications of Mac Jones throwing passes to teenagers, right, So I wasn't standing there great in the throws or anything. But it was a hell of a catch. I don't think I could have caught that. Honestly, I'm going to be honest about it. I don't think I would have caught it. It had zip it and it was deep, you know, we're talking about fifty yards. I think it was probably if I'm going to be I might say it was like fifty five to sixty. I'm gonna say it was probably like fifty to fifty five. But regardless, it was a good throw. Let's move on to to running backs here and then we'll take some of these calls after that. So with running backs, you know, I think we didn't really do the one big thing thing. I'm gonna tee that up better this time. Yeah, my one big thing with running backs is Pierre Strong. I'm gonna continue hit hammering the table for Pierre Strong. Look, I'm a sucker for big plays. I'm a sucker for explosive offense, and there just aren't that many guys on this roster that have that big play capability outside of Pierre Strong and probably Taekwon Thornton, right, Like, those are the two guys that can really bring that speed element. If I'm Bill O'Brien, other than remondros Stevenson. Of course, I'm trying to find ways to get Pierre Strong to football in space. And it's not that it's not that complicated, Like we're not putting too much on his play just throw him the screen here or there, hand the ball off to him, and so subpackage looks where there's some space to run. Maybe hit him on a swing pass coming out of the backfield. Every once in a while, let's just see what Pierre Strong can do with the football in his hands. And I would also say that that being my one big thing, that running back is also tied to some of the free agent running backs that are available that we've talked about a lot, Dalvin Cook, Zeke Elliott, Leonard Fournette. If it's not coming together for Pierre Strong and it doesn't look like he's gonna be somebody that you can count on in year two, if some of those guys are unsigned May and August, you know, going into that big like ten day layoff between the third preseason game and the first regular season game in the opener against the Eagles, and you're not really feeling great about Pierre Strong and Kevin Harris, then maybe it's time to call Zeke, right, Like, maybe that's when you make one of those phone calls. So it's twofold one. I think that he is a legitimate, big play weapon that they should get involved and see, even if it's just four or five times a game just to try to get him a touch and get him out in the open field. I'd love to see that, but you also have to see something from him to be able to put some pressure or to be able to back up Ramondri Stevenson and be able to avoid having to go into the free agent market, because I do think we could wake up in six weeks and they might be signing a running back because they don't feel great about it.
Speaker 1: So I'm actually gonna take a step further back than where you're at. My big thing is just what is Ramondre Stevenson's role? Yeah, what do we think? Some of this goes into preseason as well, But I've said this a lot. They overworked him last year. They overworked him and he cannot be I don't think any running back in the modern game, outside of maybe Derek Henry and even he you start seeing him at the end of the year. I don't think any running back in the modern game could be like a three hundred and fifty touch player. It's just the game's too physical now.
Speaker 2: He is that what like to eighty Last year?
Speaker 1: I think it was too was that carries. He was pretty high up there, and he was fifth in the league in touches last year in the regular season, which is look, somebody's got to be fifth, obviously, but you look at the teams that were ahead of the Patriots there. It's just it's not sustainable. Two hundred and eighty touches last year. But I say three fifty, I meant two to fifty. You certainly can't be a three hundred.
Speaker 2: Think I touchdouya nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like two snaps off on Anthony Jennings last week and you got odd me for it. So no, it is two seventy nine you said to eighty.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but giving it to myself.
Speaker 1: I'm not anyway. He needs less of a role. And that's not me saying he's bad. I think he's a great player. But it's more of a quality over quantity thing. I actually think if you take some of the lesser impact snaps off his plate, he's going to give you more in the big moments late in the year. Last year, after that Cincinnati game where he fumbled late in the game, he admitted that he was kind of banged up. It was getting to him. Yeah, So that's what I mean by it's not that I think he's bad. I want him on the field, but I want him on the field at his best. And I remember there was a game last year, I don't remember which game it was, but they were up like two scores late in the game, h with like a minute and a half to go, and they were still giving the bald to Stevenson to run out the clock, and it was like, he doesn't need to be in the game right now. Kevin Harris, Pierre Strong, somebody.
Speaker 2: I think it was Detroit. I don't think they had another run.
Speaker 1: I think it was Detroit. You're right, they didn't have another back. So okay, that brings me back to my point, like what is his Where are they taking those snaps away from? Is he going to be the primary early down back and then it's Pierre stronger time Montgomery on third down? Is he going to be in that James White role and it's Kevin Harris or maybe they signed somebody, or maybe it is Pierre Strong. Is a change of pace back and then early down back or do they just take half of each? Remember this is what it looked like they're gonna do last year, before time Montgomery got hurt, it looked like they were gonna go away from the early down passing down back layout and basically, all right, this is a Remandree drive. This is a Time Montgomery drive. This is a Damien Harris Hraff. I actually like that set up better. Now, it's really hard to do.
Speaker 2: If you like that set up better than you should want Dalvin Cook in this building.
Speaker 1: I never said I don't want Dalvin Cook. I would just rather have DeAndre Hawkins.
Speaker 2: H me too. But I'm just saying, like I said this, well, what about Leonard Fournette if you if you're not gonna get DeAndre Hopkins, we're operating on that assumption, Like, wouldn't you then just turned to say, let's just go all in?
Speaker 1: Then yeah, I guess see, well I would almost go off for Marcus Peters some money.
Speaker 2: But at that point I don't think that they will.
Speaker 1: I don't think they will either. But uh the point, going going back to the point and butt, Leonard Fournette could do this too if they don't get cooked. Right, But it was like, all right, this is a Remondre drive all the way through, whatever the situation. This is a Time on Coverage drive all the way through. This is Damien Harris drive all the way through. I wouldn't hate them going back to that format either. But before we can get into is Pierre Strong the guy to replace James White? Is Kevin Harris ready to take on a more regular early down back roll? And those are all good questions that we'll start answering as well. That's a big position battle, essentially the second running back, But we don't know what the second running backs duties are going to be because there was no second running back. That's the true point, right, So let's figure out what Ramondre Stevenson's doing. And then when we find out, all right, here's what Ramondre's doing, here's what the other guy's doing, then we can look at it and say, okay, here's the one right, here's what the responsibility is for RB two. Who fits it best? Because Strong, Harris, and Montgomery are all very different players. Yeah, they all bring very different things to the table. So that is you're like the thing about Pierre Strong. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think to know what the running back this is gonna be, it all starts with Andre Stevenson. We need to know what his role is going to be, and then we go from there.
Speaker 2: So I want to spend this for it and I'm sorry to the calls, but we're like on a roll here and I don't want to I want to get this out first. We're gonna get to you in the second. I promise. I wanted to talk about tight ends for a second because to me, this I think is like the biggest X factor of this team offensively, assuming again, no Hopkins, no external ad right, I think the biggest X factor for this team right now is Hunter Henry and Mikeasicki coexisting and being a better duo than Jona Smith and Hunter Henry. Because if this tight end duo can really be a factor this year, I think it helps the team into two ways. One obviously, it helps the team because those guys are going to be productive and that just inherently helps the team on an individual level that they're going to be productive. But I think the other thing that it really helps the team with is they become one of those twelve personnel offenses that is really multiple and now what you can really do is you have an answer to whatever test the defense throws out on the field against you. When I'm talking more personnel wise than schematically like and then like you know, actual play design personnel wise, if defenses match their twelve personnel with standard nickel, that means that somebody is getting a linebacker in coverage, right It just by the sheer numbers of it. Somebody is getting a linebacker in coverage, whether it's Kasiki or Henry or Remandre right or one of the running backs Juju in the slot, like, somebody is facing a linebacker in coverage and invanted Patriots. Now, if they put dime defense out there, then now you have two tight ends. And let's just say for argument's sake, right now it's Remandre. Well, now you can go under center and you can run the football down their throats. Right, you got six dbs on the field. We have two tight ends. We got this workhorse back in Remondre's two hundred and twenty pounds. Here it comes at you, stop it. So I think that in order for that to happen, though, they have to be really productive passing the football out of twelve personnel like that has to be a carrying trait for the offense, right, they have to be able to say we can threaten out of this grouping in the passing game, and if they can do that, then they might be able to force teams either they're just gonna be better right and they're going to move the ball through the air, or they might be able to force teams to play lighter defense, which isn't going to allow him to run the football. So I think that that's why twelve personnel and this is something that Bill O'Brien is fantastic at. He's really good at using indicators and using formations to threaten defense. He loves empty, right, We've talked about that a ton.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why Tome Montgomery is so interesting to just add onto it, because they.
Speaker 2: Can play running back and he can play wide receiver, so they theoretically, and I think Remadre could do it too because he's so talented, so I think he could do it too. Theoretically, they can be an under center twelve personnel offense and an empty twelve personnel offense at the same time. Right, and then you get into some of the things that they used to do with vintage O'Brien, like twenty eleven Patriots pace empty, no huddle, right, like yeah, and then all of a sudden you get let's say they get Week one against Philly, and they really like running the football against Philly's dime package, like they think that's a true advantage for them. If you can get their dime package on the field against your twelve personnel, well, now you go no huddle, and now they can't substitute, and now you get them stuck in these personnel groupings. This is what the Patriots used to do when they were humming, like when they were at their best. The other thing that they would really do a lot of is use it to their advantage for coverage indicators. If you put Remandra Stevenson out on the boundary and he's technically your outside receiver, if he gets followed by a linebacker outside, what is it? It's man coverage. Linebacker is not playing the deep third in zone coverage, right, it's man. If he gets followed by a corner or a corner just bumps over and takes him, then it all of a sudden. You can see that at zone coverage. So it's two things. It's one it's formations, right, it gives you advantages in terms of matchups within the formation, but it's also pre snap coverage indicators of is it man or zone based off of how they match the tight ends, how they match the backs and things like that. How many times did we used to see with Brady they would get a look pre snap they'd go five wide empty and like sometimes James Devlin would like be all the way out here, and they would see that the linebacker was out there with him, and then they would know it was man coverage. So then they would throw a seam to like Juliet Edelman against a linebacker because this corner is stuck on James Devlin, right, or something like that. Or how many times would we see them get this five wide look? They look at it, they say, the defense is in a pretty good shell against what they're throwing, and all of a sudden, Brady calls everybody back in and now we're under center against dime defense and we're running the football because that's the look that the defense gives them. Those are the types of things that I want to see the Patriots be able to get back to. But all of it to me, and this is why it's my one big thing with the tight ends, all of it to be comes back to You can only do that if you're productive out of twelve personnel, right, and the problem was that the reason why they use twelve personnel so few and far between, relatively speaking with Johnny Smith and Hunter Henry is because they weren't a good offense with the two of them on the field together. They were a better offense with just using one at a time. If they're gonna be if they're gonna max out their personnel, then it's got to be both of them together. And I think that that's gonna be a huge, huge, sort of tipping point for the whole offense. And that's why it's my one big thing for tight ends. I think like getting into like Johnny Lumpkin and Scottie Washington is a little bit. You know, that's training camp fodder for sure, but in terms of the big picture, it's got to be they've got to be a twelve personnel base. They have to be able to rely on that, and that's how they can really mess with defenses and have an answer.
Speaker 1: So you're gonna hate my one big thing for wide receivers.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we'll get to it in a second. Let's take some of the calls they've been waiting. All right, Sean and Vancouver kick us off. What's up?
Speaker 4: Sean, Hey, excuse the noise. I'm on a I guess a foot passenger ferry. We call the SeaBus here, so you hear that rumpling in the background. Just got a couple of things, Evan, I want to get to what you were asking before in regards to truth here for Robert Kraft about the payments, and just remind blisters we're talking about his hall of fame. I mean, if you're thinking about the Patriots history of dynasty, really a lot of people argue that it's Belichick versus Brady, but really the real answer is all three was Robert Kraft, Belichick, and Brady. They all contributed, and they all helped each other and built that gynasty for twenty years. And that's only one of the reasons that he belonged in the Hall of Fame. But when you when you ask him, and here's my educated guest, about payments, about salary, about any of that, you know, Robert Kraft the first decisions like that, when he's not the expert, he's going to bring in people that are experts. So I don't think he had any kind of limit on that. I don't think he would put his decisions. I don't think Belichick even went to him with that kind of stuff. The people in the building that are going to make the salar decisions in terms of who they're going to put on the team, who they're going to keep, and how it's going to work around that, and that's that's how they built the team. The other thing I wanted to point out, as you were talking to obviously about Stanley Morgan, Yeah, he definitely deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. And the reason he's not won, well, they never wanted to Super Bowl. But also they were a running team in a running era. The Patriots never had a really strong passing game until I'd say till Bledsoget got there in the early nineties. I don't remember any year besides eighty six that he had more than like eighty targets, Like they weren't counting targets, but the guy didn't drop the ball like he just he had like nineteen average one over nineteen now yards per catch is incredible. He definitely was one of the best receivers in the history of the nfls And my second thing that I wanted to bring up we were talking earlier about quarterbacks. Good quarterback always being clutched. Well, here's one example I think that the or not bad is Aaron Rodgers, one of the top quarterbacks. I wouldn't consider him clutch And I'll leave you guys for comment on that.
Speaker 2: Thanks Sean. Yeah, that's that's true. Aaron Rodgers is probably one of the outliers here. Yeah, in terms of that. And I look, I brought up the cash spending thing because it's a hot topic right now, and I genuinely think that I would like to I said, if I had some truth serum to give Robert Kraft, I would ask him, like, what's the truth behind all that? Right? If I could. What a bottom line is is that I just think that there's a really nuanced answer to how they handle their salary cap and how they handle their payroll quite frankly, in terms of the NFL roster, in terms of the roster the football team, excuse me, And I just want to know, like I just want to know what's like the forty chests that they're playing with the with the payroll, because I know it's not as simple as like you know, mister Craft sets a budget and Bill has to stick to it, and that's that it's it's much more nuanced than that. And I think that they're you know, the talk radio fodder is about the real cash spending and all that kind of stuff. And I would love to hear like an economics one on one course on on how they they handle their payroll because they are not pumping any tires here. They are one of the best, if not the best, salary cap management teams in the NFL for twenty plus years. Yes, so they whether it's their nerds are great and their accountants are great, or whatever the case may be, they do a really good job. And I'm one hundred percent with you on rober Kraft getting into the Hall of Fame, hundred percent with you on the steamer Stanley Morgan getting into the Hall of Fame mentioned they didn't throw a lot. That's probably why. Stanley Morgan, what was the leader in yards per catch until like.
Speaker 1: The He's the all time leader and yards per catch among receivers with at least five hundred catches nineteen point two yards per catch.
Speaker 2: That's absurd, that's wild, especially given the era that he played. In the fact that that number or how long ago he played, I should say, the fact that number still holds up is pretty incredible. Yeah, that's still the case. All right, Patty, what's up? Patty? Still I'm a jake, So real.
Speaker 5: Quick point before I get into my Patriots point, I call Aaron Rodgers the greatest front running quarterback in history because when he's got to lead, he's almost insurmountable. But especially in big games, that guy goes down by one score and he's he's coasts, he's done. He doesn't know how to play position. My Patriots point regarding mac Evan not just the twelve person of all, I just think offensively, they have to be better everywhere, you know, And like I said, uh a few weeks ago, I think that's going to be the breakout player because I do think he is a smart quarterback. And I mean we thought the last great era with Brady and and Nanning, and I mean they did they had great arms. They didn't have the greatest arms of all time are the best arm talent, but they just they were just so smart. They knew how to play the game. They knew how to been to the late defense. And I think that with O'Brien back here on board, I think they're they're going to get him the freedom. Hopefully they get the freedom to use his great statt which is his brain at the line of scrimmage to make plays, you know, to get the defense, as you guys like to say, you know, put them in stress or however you articulated. So that's where I'm coming from. That's what I want to see and let's go, baby. I can't wait for freaking training Gip.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, Patty, I've been. I told Alex last week that I already had the itch. I don't know about everybody else. Morrell did, are you Coaston Stiller? Do you do you want football?
Speaker 1: One week left?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well yeah, we're all ready to go here. Trust me. I can't wait. But I think Mac, you know, I that thing was going around Twitter Alex about like the top five players on the Patriots faster. I didn't put Mac in my group of guys that were in the conversation, and you know, a lot I did get some pushback about that. And although I don't think that he's in that conversation currently, he's probably the one player that I would say that that has the best potential to be next year and probably needs to be right, and that certainly needs to be next year. But I I like what I've seen from Max so far in the in the in the spring, excuse me, it's obviously spring. It's it's early. But I like more importantly, I I like the way he's carried himself, in the way that he's he's talked. I think that there's a lot to be said for the fact and look he's thrown I know your station is a little bit more subjective to these types of things than me. He's thrown some verbal jabs, potentially in press conferences, even in the spring, you know, talking about it being normal and like stuff like that compared to last year. But for the most part, he has been quiet. He's he's kept his door, his mouth kind of shut. He's worked hard, he's put his head down, and he's gotten ready for the season. He hasn't done press. He hasn't like given an exclusive to somebody about how awful the Matt Patricia hero was or you know something like that, right, Like, he hasn't done any of those types of things. And I think he has got a little bit of a chip on his shoulder. I'm just that's all I'm gonna say about it. But I think he's got it. I think he's got a chip. I think he hears it and he's not Yeah, definitely, he's not hearing it like in like a Braddy of like get off my lawn type of way. I think he's hearing it and like using it. You know, he's trying to at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, he's internalizing it. And that's the right thing to do, is as long as it doesn't cross the line. I think that's what happened last year. I think early on it was good and then late in the season it just became too much and he crossed the line. So it's it's it's a bouncing act. Really, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Is.
Speaker 2: Yep. All right, let's get the Todd in North Carolina. Todd. First of all, thank you for lunch, Todd. That was funny.
Speaker 3: No problem. My question, my concern has been over the last little while, and you guys have been touching on it, but nobody's actually brought it up. What is the effect, Like you guys are the stat nerds, you'll get this. What is the effect on the defense's level of play based on the time of offensive possess because we just don't keep the ball like we go three and out?
Speaker 5: Like, are we the best.
Speaker 3: Team at going three and out? Like last year? Did we have the most three and outs?
Speaker 5: But of any other team, it seems that our defense.
Speaker 3: Gets beat up by the end of the year. And this is why older players like Jude and stuff just don't have anything less in the tank. So how are we going to deal with that this year? Like a yeah, is this just going to be a total change with the new the new coach and system and the linemen and stuff. Because if we don't, if we keep going three and out, I don't care who we have back there?
Speaker 1: Todd?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Todd? Is it Todd?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Todd?
Speaker 1: That is an awesome call, Todd, Thank you. I have been for lunch. The man Evan knows. I'm surprised you roll your eyes as soon as he brought that up because you knew where I was going. How much have I been banging the table on this going back to the twenty twenty one season, Yeah, you cannot. And it was like the Cowboys game the Bucks get Oh the defense blew it late? Yeah, well they were getting out snapped by thirty plays. Yeah, it's absolutely a factor in its got it?
Speaker 2: We hit the button there you go.
Speaker 1: So it's it's something that's gone. I thought it was just me. I thought I was yelling into the fog shoutouts of ton. No, it's something that nobody.
Speaker 2: Wants to talk about at nuanced talls.
Speaker 1: I know they don't because it's because how dare the defense be good? And because how dare the defense be good? But and that's not to say the defense has been perfect. They've had their issues. But this is it all goes back to Super Bowl fifty one. This is the story of what happened in Super Bowl fifty one. The Falcons scored on quick drives, they scored on a pick six. Their defense was on the field a ton through the first three quarters of that game, even though they had the big lead, and then late they were gassed yea, And that, among other things, is what opened the door for the Patriots.
Speaker 2: And seventeen os going. It's the same thing.
Speaker 1: The same thing happened in I forget which one it was, but the Alabama Clemson National Championship that Hunter Renfro caught the.
Speaker 2: Pass at the end of you're talking like Spanish.
Speaker 1: Alabama had Alabama's defense had been on the field thirty five more snaps. Okay, but it's the same thing. It happened in the Bucks game a couple years ago, it happened in the Cowboys game. I think you saw it a little bit in that Vikings game this year, Like.
Speaker 2: That Cowboys game was a big one that I remember that.
Speaker 1: There's been so many games the last few years, and this is not like a Matt Patrician thing knocked over water bottle. This is not a Mattatrician thing. This goes back. There's been so many games that are close. And we get to the second half. I can like see myself doing this up in the press box, and I go into the stats page and I look at the play count. How many teams does each play run? And even though it's a close game, maybe the Patriot are head a little bit, the other team offensively has run like thirty more plays than the Patriots because Patriots scored on a pick six or a big player or something like that. And I'm like, here we go. The defense is gonna get gased. That is such a great point. They need more sustained drives. And you know where this is massive, Evan is against Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's been a huge issue against Buffalo Buffalo.
Speaker 1: A big part of the reason Buffalo is as successful as they are is they are boom and bust offense that creates margin forrer by how quickly they can score. They're going to have bad drives, but because they can score so quickly, they know if they get twelve thirteen drives a game, enough of them will be good that they'll be successful. How do you beat a team like that? Ball control, in controlling the clock, in limiting them to seven or eight drives, and that's then they have to be perfect. It shrinks their margin for error. I think it was the Bucks game. I forget which game it was. It might have been the Bills game. One of the games of twenty twenty one. No, I remember this. We had this conversation that my whole key to the game was you can't allow them a ninth drive if they like they're average per year, whatever we got it for the year.
Speaker 2: One makes us a good team because these types of like like this just I don't have an eye for it. Well, first I'm sewing the weeds on the x's and o's in the film and all that, and then Alex is like, well, what about the ninth drive?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, well, it's funny because when we first started working together, you'd roll your eyes at this because you thought it was just nonsense, and then you see it play out. I think I can't remember what game it was, but there was a game.
Speaker 2: I remember distinctly. The game that I remember off the top of my head or the defense was just absolutely gassed by the end was the Dallas game. And I remember because they mac threw the pick six to Trayvon Diggs and then through the eighty r touchdown to Kendrick Boren on like back to back plays. So the Patriots defense was just out there the whole entire game, it felt like. And then once they got into overtime and the Patriots didn't score on the first possession of overtime in the Dallas game, that you knew the Cowboys. The defense just had nothing left, like the Cowboys just walked down the field.
Speaker 1: So here's what it was. I found it. So it was the Tampa game that year, through the first couple of games whatever that was Week five, right week four, Week five through the first however, many games had been something like eighty close to ninety percent of their points came within their first nine drives. They didn't score late in games that I remembri said all week. You can't allow them a tenth drive. You got to control the ball. Nine drives are fewer. They scored the game winning field goal on their tenth drive.
Speaker 2: There you go. And I think the biggest thing.
Speaker 1: Which was like a march of the drive that drained the clock because the Patriots defense just they were done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were done for me. Look like you just laid it out better than I can. So I'm not gonna add too much to it.
Speaker 1: A fifteen play sixty eight yard drive.
Speaker 2: The I feel like I've always I feel like I'm on my soap box with the Patriots defense. Defending the Patriots defense a lot because and I'm not saying this like to be snarkyars I.
Speaker 1: Am too, and I'm not ashamed of it.
Speaker 2: To be pretentious or whatever. I watch a lot of of football during the season. I watch a lot of other defenses. I watch a lot of other defenses film, you know, to get ready for the next game, to preview the next game, and I'll i'll and in defenses against the Patriots offense and so on and so forth. And the Patriots defense to me is hands down, consistently over the last couple of years, been one of the best defenses to watch on film in the NFL. And they get this paper tiger label from a lot of people because they don't go toe to toe with Josh Allen and they don't shut out the Bills, or they don't you know, Lamar Jackson has a huge game on them, or justin Fields in that Monday night game, which granted was a bad game, and yeah, that was just not letting them off the hook for it. But my point, my general point is is that I would like to see the Patriots defense and how they would look if the offense is pulling the rope in the same direction, if the offense is playing complimentary football, if the offense is sustaining drives at the offense is you know, breaking even on play counts in time of possession, if the offense is putting up thirty points in a game. Yeah, if you're telling me that the offense is holding its end of the bargain, how does the Patriots defense look then, Because when the Patriots defense gets into a game, their margin over the last couple of years, and certainly last year was basically like, if you hold it, don't hold this offense to twenty points or under, we're losing.
Speaker 1: Well, And that's not fair. Point, it's not fair. As much as that stat makes me roll my eyes. Everybody say, oh, the Patriots defense, they can't beat these good quarterbacks, but a lot of you're in the game late. You can only ask the unit to do so much and if it I'm not gonna fault them. I'm not gonna fault the defense for giving up a touchdown on the last drive of a game that they lose seventeen to fourteen. We had this conversation a couple of years ago Evan on a previous show that what an elite defense. You're never gonna see the two thousand Baltimore Ravens again. You're never gonna see the two thousand and two Tampa Buccaneers again. You're never gonna see two thousand four Patriots again. The definition of an elite defense in the modern age is very different. It's basically, can you give your offense enough of a chance to go punch for punch at the end every single week? Because I know that sounds like not a lot, Oh, can you just keep them in the game? There are a lot of defenses that more often than not can't even keep their team in the game, no matter how good the offense. And that's what this defense does. They keep the offense in the game. More often than not, they just can't finish it. I do want to say so. First off, I have here Super Bowl fifty one. The Patriots ran. I have to do.
Speaker 2: They always comes back to twenty eight to three. It always comes back.
Speaker 1: The Patriots ran eighty eight offensive plays to the Falcons forty three.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: You think that's the extreme to.
Speaker 2: Think that that happened in a game where the Falcons once led twenty eight to three, but that had that kind of played discrepancy.
Speaker 1: Sorry, forty one forty one, Yeah, eighty eight to forty one was the place. From that one on a napkin. I was about to but then you threw back to me too quickly the other one. And and by the way, shout out to whoever put in the chat, shout out to what shout out who ever put in the chat correctly? That how does he not get that? I don't get that at all. That Alabama would have won the twenty seventeen National championship had both Scarborough not broken his leg. Alabama's offense in that game ran sixty six plays.
Speaker 2: We're not doing Alabama.
Speaker 1: Clemson ran ninety nine plays ninety a ball game. But no, But this is the point, this is the point. You can't ask your defense for much on the ninety ninth play of the game. At that point, you failed them. Yes, if they're on the field for ninety nine places.
Speaker 2: What it comes down to me is, let's just see the Patriots defense through a large sample size where the offense is also doing its part and it's not. That's the biggest thing. If you go into a game defensively and your margin of error is so razor within that essentially you have to hold that team to like twenty one points, twenty points or you know, you're automatically done right, Like just imagine playing defense like it's not a defense issue.
Speaker 1: Ye at that point?
Speaker 2: All right, let's take this last call and then we'll get back to the camp stuff. Matthews in New Mexico. It's up, Matthew.
Speaker 6: Hey, how's it going, guys?
Speaker 7: Thank Evan.
Speaker 6: I called it on PU about the defense, but that is a good part about the offense. That and I'm thinking about now, but I'm calling this is kind of how I make sure to like Bill with like the offense. It could be like his neighbor, you know, like Bill, like you know, there's a lot of playmakers in the league, Like are you guys going to hire any playmakers? And Bill probably like what do you mean I signed?
Speaker 3: Juju?
Speaker 6: And you know, am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I guess are you saying that Bill is just like things that that's good enough? Is that where you're getting at?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and just like it goes to just what you used to have, Like he's operating like we have time, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it does like he could be like.
Speaker 6: You mean, what do you mean I got my big guys juju?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's it's it's how I feel about it too. Matthew, thanks for the calls on both shows. I look that that's how that's my biggest thing. We had a lot of calls and a lot of talk on on PU today Alex about Bill and his job security and all that kind of stuff, and uh, it's a Willhelm and film came after me a little bit. Morrell that that was interesting is we got into a little bit, but uh, the uh the biggest thing was to me, is is I have no issues with Bill to coach. I don't. I don't have very many issues outside of the big caveat you know, the big elephant to the room of matt Patricia last year, like in terms of like what he does on a week to week, day to day basis with the football team, the game planning, the x's and o's, the playbook right, Like, I don't have any issues with any of that stuff. I'll still take Bill Belichick over the field when it comes to his ability to coach and manage the football team in season. My biggest gripe with Bill is roster construction and roster building. And I think Matthew just made the point for me. It comes down to how do you view the quarterback position and if you're operating under the assumption that the quarterback is gonna make the whole thing go, I don't know if you have that guy yet that makes you feel comfortable with that. And when they had Brady, like if you put Brady not forty six year old Brady or however old he is now, but just Brady in an offense with Juju and Kasiki and Henry and Parker and Born and Thornton, Like, I think this offense would be a top five offense yeah, with Tom Brady, But they don't have Tom Brady. So that means that instead of a top I mean.
Speaker 1: To be fair with offense, isn't a top five offense with Tom Brady?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the nineteen offense was I I wasn't really tom Brady though, yeah, you know what I mean? Though, yeah, no, no, no, do I do mean I think that they have better weapons than they did in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Now, oh yeah, this is the best. Uh, this is the best assortment of offensive talent they've had since I would even say seventeen. Yeah, oh, I guess for like one week in nineteen they were loaded right when they had Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon then.
Speaker 2: But you know.
Speaker 1: This, this should be all right. So maybe seventeen's a little far back, but definitely since all of that, since the Antonio Brown drama and everything, this is the best group of skill position players.
Speaker 2: But the problem is is that it's still not built up to the point where it's quarterback proof. The quarterback is still gonna have to play well correct. They still need a good quarterback, and maybe my dream scenario of being like, I would love to be quarterback proof. Obviously I would love to have Tom Brady again, or Patrick Mahomes or insert you know franchise quarterback here. But in this rebuilding process and the stage that they're in right now, my ideal is to be quarterback proof. And we've talked about this concept a lot, to be able to be able to just have everything so buttoned up around the quarterback that if you just get adequate quarterback play, then you're gonna be fine. And if you don't have one of those franchise guys, that's what you need to strive for. That's what you need to go for. And to me, the Patriots are not operate. The Patriots are operating like Mac Jones is a franchise quarterback is like this elite franchise guy where they can be okay with middling weapons, but they don't have that guy at the quarterback position. And until that, philosophically, they basically have like three doors that they could walk through. Door number one is that Mac Jones takes that next step and becomes elite yep. Door number two is that they move on from Mac. Or door number three is that Bill changes his philosophy, and Bill goes from Juju Smith Schuster being the highest paid receiver on the Patriots roster to trading and paying Jerry Judy right like or whatever the case may be. And if Bill is not going to walk through door number three with mac Jones as the quarterback here, then I will continue to have gribes with him, but I don't have any grips with them in terms of like, Okay, it's Tuesday and we're game planning for the Philadelphia Eagles. I'm still taking Bill. Yeah, And I think that that's like sort of the difference. And for some people, I get that that's like a confusing it's the same person, even though it's two different jobs GM and coach. It's the same person here. So it's all falls on Bill. So if you're out on him as a GM, then you're also out in him as a coach. Like that's sort of how it works for a lot of people. But for me, I separate the two things. I don't know if he'll change, and I don't know if mac Jones is going to be elite so and I don't know if they're gonna move on. And that's how you just get stuck at eight and nine, right, Like, that's just how well. I mean, they're gonna have to They're not gonna extend mac Jones. He's not good, right, But when I say move on, I guess is more like for his fourth and fifth year.
Speaker 1: All right, so yeah, short term move on, yeah you.
Speaker 2: Know, or short term stick with him, I guess. All right, let's get back to the training camp stuff. We were ended at tight ends. Do you have a thought on the tight ends or did you.
Speaker 1: Know we we pretty much covered it.
Speaker 2: Wide receivers speak of the devil right easily. The I think if we added up the amount of airtime we spike about one position on Patriots dot Com radio, morell wide receivers would be in a landslide. It's the talked about position group on the team by a ton, an absolute ton. My big thing at wide receiver is still Taekwon. It's still Taekwon. I can't let it go. They have as much as they have to see what they have in mac Jones. I also think that they need to give Taekwon opportunities. And I know you're right about you can't do it at expense at the quarterback, right if he's a better player. You gotta play the better player. But I look at the way that Bill O'Brien can use Taekwon and use his speed out on the field, and you know, separate from signing DeAndre Hopkins, like that's the one caveat of Like if they sign him, then obviously I don't really care about Taekwon as much. But to me, my one big thing is that you have to you have to make Taekwon work at some point. You got to make one of these receivers work that you've drafted. You gotta they gotta figure it out. You gotta develop them. It's not just about how they use them. It's not just about scheme and Bill O'Brien like, can we also develop a receiver, like can we get making a receiver better? I think they did that with Jacoby even though it wasn't drafted. Yeah, I think they did that with Jacoby, So they're capable of doing it. But I think with Jacoby the difference was Jacoby had the drive and he had the he put in a ton of work. He put in a ton of work, thank you. That's the best way to put it. He put in a ton of work.
Speaker 1: Not that Taekwon isn't, but like he had Jacoby grinded.
Speaker 2: That was Jacoby had like a little Edelman in him. Yeah, in that respect, which.
Speaker 1: Whenever he followed Julian Edelman around, Yeah, which.
Speaker 2: Might have on his head, which might maybe we'll talk about this at the end, Bruce Cassidy and Milton with gross anyways, Yeah, that that that's my big thing at receiver. I also will say I'll guess you go first, because I don't want to steal yours if it's the same thing.
Speaker 1: Well, so I'm working on two things for ninety at five they'll be up, you know, the week four training camp. One is the five biggest position battles of camp and the other is the five biggest stories, So I'm trying not to overlap. I have Taekwon versus Born as like the biggest position battle for this team. Who is going to win that zero? So that's obviously massive, But I think in a bigger picture health health, they need to be healthy a wide receiver. We saw in the spring how quickly it drops. It all evaporates once you lose one or two guys. And we haven't seen Juju Smith Schuster on the field yet. We don't know exactly kind of injury Taekwon's dealing with. DeVante Parker is a guy who is healthy right now, but as a history of getting banged up, they gotta stay healthy. They've got to stay healthy through camp and get into the season healthy and then maybe, you know, once you build a little bit of rhythm offensively, it's easier if you lose a player here or there. But this group's got to stay healthy and they didn't last year. Taekwan got hurt, and I think it was the second preseason game. Was it the first one he had that collarbone injury? They have to stay healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was where I was going to with Juju. You know, dude keeps springing this up and I keep forgetting because I can in my head, I think of Juju as like your march for like eighty catches for nine hundred yards, right like the season he had last year for Kansas City, just because I feel like he's a known commodity. Like you know, I'm not saying that. I don't think that his his ceiling is very high, and I think his floor is very high, right, Like, I think he's gonna be an eighty catch, nine hundred yard guy if he's out there, but I keep forgetting that he wasn't out there, right, And that's that's a big deal. That's a big big.
Speaker 1: And that's more where I'm at with with Taekwon than anything else, is just can he be out because I don't I don't want to say the worst thing that could happen, But what if he is really good? Yeah, because we've seen this happen with guys before Malcolm Mitchell. What if he is really good and then it gets weak two and then he gets hurt and then they built the whole offense right.
Speaker 2: Well, I also kind of feel like that, not that they built the whole offense around him, but he was decent in camp last year before the collarbone injury. I don't think he was like it wasn't like we were watching, you know, Tyreek Hill, but like he was a good player in camp or had some moments I should I guess I should say in camp, and then he gets the collar brodne injury and the whole thing gets dereealed. Look, I don't think that he would have been a good player regardless, But similar things happened with Nikkeel right where he gets injured early on and he was the ankle right that landed one injured reserve his rookie season, and he just never got he never caught up. It always Yeah, it always felt like he was taking on water from that point on, and you just hope that it's not the same for Taekwon. All right. Offensive line got some questions in the emails from David and some other people about tackles. My big thing with the offensive line, it's to me, it's all on Adrian Clement, Bill O'Brien. You know what you have. It's a group that in the past, and I'm in the past, they had Dante Scarnekia. I'm on record, I think he's the greatest offensive line coach of all.
Speaker 1: Time, probably the greatest positional coach.
Speaker 2: So that I understand that Steven Neil and you know all these other guys. We always use Steven Neil, right, but even but all these other guys like that, Dante turned with you took water and turned it into wine. Was because Scar a scar and there is no other Scar. With that being said, they are going to have some issues at tackle this year. I don't think it's a straight line. I think it's gonna be an up and down road at tackle, and I don't think if there's any real solve, there's no internal solve that's just gonna make you not have to worry about tackle. And there's no external solve all either, because their tackles don't grow on trees and they don't get traded or moved very often if they can play. So you're gonna have to coach around it. You're gonna have to scheme around it. You're gonna have to coach guys up. They're gonna have to get back to like developing offensive lineman, go figure right, like guys like you know, Calvin Anderson. I think is is still a a semi ball of clay. I know he's been in the league for a couple of years, but he's a really good athlete. He started some games we go only has twelve starts in three years. I think he's got a lot of potential. Maybe they can coach him up and make him serviceable at one of the tackle spots. Trent Brown like, that's a guy you gotta be on. You gotta be on his case. You gotta keep him at focused, You got to keep him at the right weight. You got to keep them locked in maybe one of these rookie guards pops, you know, maybe it's Antonio Mafi, maybe it's Uh, it's City Sow. Whether it's a tackle or it's guard, right, you got to develop some of these.
Speaker 1: Guys to tackle it. And this is to build up your point. This is where they're at. Tackle's been there, Evan, as long as me and you have been doing shows together. Tackles been their biggest leed right, And they haven't used a premium mass set on a tackle period, not the draft, on free agency, nothing. Yeah, they have to figure out the tackle position and to sort of build on what you were saying about coaching guys up, and I just think the overall coaching of it, because there's some creativity that can be involved here too. Nothing should be off the table. That means Mike go and win it right. That's why I brought up the rookies right, so that means Michael winning it right. Tackle if it's Mafi on the end side, or giving City sour reps, or being open to Trent playing Trent Brown on the left or right side, being open to playing Riley Reef on the left or right side, I think everybody but McDermott pretty much his side versatile. That is the one advantage this group has is Trent Brown's a true swing tackle. Riley Reef is close. Calvin Anderson's played right tackle.
Speaker 2: I don't know that you system, but like I think ideally, and this is putting a lot of eggs in Calvin Anderson's basket. I'll put that out there. I think Calvin Anderson's a better left tackle and.
Speaker 1: I think he is too. But they need to try everything. Basimply, they need to try everything.
Speaker 2: If I was them, I would try Calvin Anderson at left tackle with Trent at right.
Speaker 1: That might that's probably their best group. But well, their best group is Mike go and win it right tackle. Yeah, but they won't do it, I know, but they should consider it.
Speaker 2: They should. I think that that especially if.
Speaker 1: They know they're not paying him next year.
Speaker 2: That has to come. That comes two weeks in right, Like, if they.
Speaker 1: I hate that, you're not wrong. You're not wrong.
Speaker 2: If they get to like Green Bay, if we're on the plane to freaking Lambeau for yeah whatever, and uh and it's disaster.
Speaker 1: Oh two weeks in a camp into camp. I thought, regular, No.
Speaker 2: I think that you have to do that before, way before the regularly.
Speaker 1: It has to be yeah, okay. That's why I was like, I hate that because he can't start.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of the times what happens is, I think it's ten days of camp before we get into joint practices, and they kind of I think they use those early stages of camp to set what they think that they have right, and then we get to the joint practices and that's when they see if it can hold that.
Speaker 1: That's when the evaluation really ran.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they I could see them looking at the that ten days sample and saying, you know what we got, Like, we're gonna go to Green Bay and we're gonna kick a mic out to right tackle and we're gonna put in Tony Omaffi in at right guard, and we're going to see how that looks against the Packers. And I think that that's a possibility. I'm with you on one, one hundred percent. I think that him playing right tackle needs to be on the table for this team. I would ideally like to keep him at guard. I think they would too, but it has to be on the table that he could potentially be a right tackle for this year. I think he's the best right tackle they have on the roster besides maybe Trent, But Trent's probably the best left tackle they have on the roster. So he's just the best tackle they have. So wherever Trent isn't you know, if Trent is going to play the left side, then I think that on when who's your best right tackle on the roster and you got to give it a shot.
Speaker 1: I just think everything you know, who would have thought that their best five in twenty one would involve Ted Carres? Who would have thought going into the season, especially after the rookie or Micro and went Who add that the best offensive line right involved putting Micro and Winner on the bench And that's it took him a while to get there, but that's what ended up being. And I'd rather them figure that out, like you said, in Green Bay or in Tennessee than you know, approaching Halloween. So just I think it all needs to be on the table and whatever works, it works, and you just cross your fingers and you hope it sticks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you on that because it's a Again, it's an old scarrism of seeing it through the same set of eyes and sometimes the same your best five isn't your isn't on paper your best five? Right, Sometimes it's Ted Carris is your Actually it actually makes up your best five, just because the chemistry and the timing and the rhythm of the group is better, uh with Ted Carris than Mike on Wenhu. Even though on paper, if we're doing Madden ratings, like Mike Godwin who has a higher matting rating than Ted Carris, but once you get out there on the field, it just looks better with Ted Carris out there. So I'm with you, all all hands on deck, all options on the table. I liked what I saw out of Calvin Anderson in the spring, so I'm hoping that maybe he can carry that over at left tackle with the pads come on, and maybe he is better bet at left tackle for you. He's got some athleticism, some range, he can pass protect. He fits the mold of their typical like more sleek, athletic like Nate Solder style left tackle.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: I think that the power guys, they tend to be better with them on the right side and then on the left side, just the way that their scheme in the run game especially works. So I would like to see Calvin Anderson there a left tackle all right, moving over defensive side of the football, turning the page defensive line. One big thing I think maybe the most forgotten player on this team going into this season is Christian Barmore. Yeap, what like, did we just forget that Christian Barmore I And I'm saying me, no, he was I forgot. I mean he was hurt a lot of the year last year, he at so he's kind of out of sight, out of mind. I have him too.
Speaker 1: I think the year three jump with him. How many you know, we've kind of we spent a lot of time leading up last year talking about if Christian Barmore takes the leap, the defense goes from good to great. Right, It's another element to the defense. You get that interior pass rush in. I know people wen't really happy with how he was playing early in the year, but if if if you look beyond the box score and you actually watched the tape, like he was an issue still an impact, right, he was making it. He was an issue for offense. I should say he was making an impact. He wasn't getting sacks, but there were times where he was just chasing the quarterback into sacks for Matthew Judah and things like that, and then he got hurt and I think he missed. He missed like two months. He missed a while long time, and I don't think he was fully healthy when he got back. Just that's not like inside information. Just watching him, he didn't look as explosive as he normally looks. Here we go, he's fully healthy. Year three, can he make that jump? I will say, though, if he doesn't make it this year, I think then he just is who he is, which is still a good player. But yeah, yeah, you look at it, and this is for all the for everything we've talked about with Mac Jones and the fifty year option, it's not all that different. Well, for Barbour there is no fifth year option. This is it three and four, right, He's up for the extension this time next year, So.
Speaker 2: It's it's not that all that different. It just we got there very differently, Like Mac had the coaching is and all that kind of stuff last year and Barmore had injuries. But there are two players that we expected to make a year two leap that has now unfortunately become a year three leap, right, And I still think that potential is there for Christian Barmore, And I still think that he has the ability to do it. And if he becomes a true interior game wrecker for you, And now you have Barmore coming up the middle, and you have Judon and Uce and Keon White potentially mixing in now too on the edges and getting after quarterbacks, that's that's really really deep. It's a good group. I mean, it's a good defensive line. I think he's one of those guys that and I did my top five Patriot list, I was like, well, in reality, like if I'm just going off of pure talent, then Christian Barmore probably is pretty close to this top five, Like, yeah, just who is the best physical football player on this team? Christian Barmore is in that conversation. I think, maybe not the top of the conversation. I still think Judon is in his kind of a class of his own, to be honest, Kyle Duggar belongs in that that ballpark or that tier. But I think Christian Barmore is in that mix as well. So we're in agreement on defensive line that it's Christian Barmore. I think that he doesn't get talked about enough with this team taking that next step because they do have some of the younger defenders, you know, gonzales A Mapu. Yeah, and he kind of gets lost a little bit. Let's I don't I think it's important at edge here outside linebacker. Excuse me, edge. I'm gonna say edge, just to grind your gears. Edge. It's a big thing with josh u j. I think it's a big thing that we have to we touch on. His season last year was interesting. There is some regressing to the mean potential there and there's also the potential that he's just really good. Right, So either way, what can josh u Ja do to earn a second contract in Bill Belichick's eyes? Because to me, racking up up eight sacks in the second half of the year, all of his sacks last year came eleven or eleven Excuse me, I mean last eight weeks of the year, last eight weeks. All of his sacks last year came in the second half of the season.
Speaker 1: I mean it's right there. It's consistency, and I think you talk about the second contract, it's a little bit of a fallacy I or a catch twenty two. I guess his name is I don't think that that's something that's That's one of two things is gonna happen. Either he proves the end of last year was I don't want to say a fluke because he played well, but like he proves that it wasn't sustainable. He goes back to the player he was the first two and a half years of his career, and at that point, I mean, you can't extend him, but it's kind of a you know, replacement level player. Or he proves that the second half of last year is the player he really is, in which case he's going to beat that's more than he was, averaging more to sack per game. He probably becomes one of the top five free agents in the market and the Patriots aren't gonna pay him.
Speaker 2: How sad is it that him actually regressing back to the mean is the way that he gets retained by the page.
Speaker 1: I think he has retained either way sad well, I guess he gets retained if it's somewhere in the middle. But think about it, if you're the if you're josh Ucha, why would you sign an extension right now? You're probably gonna bet on what you did in the second half last year. And if you're the Patriots, why would you sign extension right now because the guy hasn't been consistent. You have an eight game sample size over three years to work with. So he's gonna go. He's gonna go into this season and play. And it's just I either he was the guy, he's one of two players. It's this is essentially kind of what we're doing with Mac Jones, but on a different scale. Two sacks through his first I think it's like twenty five games and then eleven in his last eight. Which guy is he? Either guy? I don't think the Patriots pay They want consistent middle like I don't want to say middle of the road pass rushers, but they want consistent guys. They want pass rushers who bring consistency. And if there's one thing, I think josh Uja is a pretty good player, but he's not consistent. You can't sit here and say he's consistent and that's what the Patriots want from that position.
Speaker 2: And you look at you know, I'm just pulling this up real quick. You look at sort of comps of what josh U j could get paid on the open market, and the contract that I look at as a decent comp and I think the one thing that you have to throw out there is that. And I said this on Twitter and people were like, oh, yeah, like you know, my my wife is you know my wasn't my If my uncle had what it would be my he'd be my aunt or something.
Speaker 1: Like that or whatever my uncle had wheels, he'd be away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. Whatever that's saying is. But in a different defensive system, I truly believe Josh j would play more.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, there's some of that because let me just real quick, because I feel like I kind of just dumped on him a little bit. He's not it's a little Chandler Jones ish with him, whereas I remember they remember they let Chandler Jones walk and he almost set the NFL record for saxon a season.
Speaker 2: Chandler Jones is the one guy that maybe it wouldn't have worked out as well here, But that's the one guy that I would have gone back and paid, like right if you had to.
Speaker 1: He's not whatever it was it was like twenty one sacks he had that year. He's not getting twenty one sacks here because that's not how they play defense, right. I think Josh I don't think josh is gonna go be a twenty sack player somewhere, but I think there is some of that where he's just he's at his best when he can pin his ears back and go, and that's really not something they've ever done. They've started doing it just for Matthew, but because of Matthew Judon. They do it for Judon, because Judon's that good. And so unless Uch's like the because Judon's got I think two more years.
Speaker 2: He signed through twenty five and he's getting up there, he's like thirty one.
Speaker 1: Unless Uch is the replacement for Judon, they just that's not how they that's not how they the same thing.
Speaker 2: Like played forty percent of the snaps last year roughly, right, I think it was like thirty eight or thirty nine percent. I think in another defense, he's like a sixty percent snap guy because he plays a little bit more on first and second down, right right, because he's not gonna play first and second down here, just because of all the stylistic reasons that you laid out. So back to the cop the comp that I would save for josh Uja that I could think of as a sound reddick with the Eagles, who I think is a similar smaller edge guy, but has that explosive gear that get off that ability to rush the quarterback. Reddick has been better against the run, but he's also had more opportunities to be better against the run. So he got a three year, forty five million dollar deal with the Eagles last year, so fifteen million per on a total value basis. It was a fourteen point two million dollars signing bonus thirty million dollars in guaranteed money, So basically a two year, thirty million dollar deal with the play the team option for the third season. That's basically what he got. So I think if I'm josh josh U J's agent, that's that's sort of a starting point, or that's sort of what my goal is. I guess say would be something along the same lines. In terms of APY. I don't know how they structure and all that stuff. In terms of APY, I don't think the are coming close to paying fifteen million a year for Joshu Jay, which means that he's probably out of here anyways. But I I really I think he's a good pass rusher. I think he's in his bag. He's got like seventeen dinner.
Speaker 1: He's a good pass rusher, but it's just not they have one spot for that here and the guy doing it does a pretty good job of doing it, and he's still under contract for a while. That's fair in jude On.
Speaker 2: I'd still pay him, especially with the cap space that you have next year, I would pay him. I understand they have their reasons and they and they they make sense. Like if you are going to live in a world and I'm not necessarily saying it's right or wrong, but if you're going to live in a world where Jilani Devai is still getting first down snaps over the guy you're paying fifteen million dollars a year or two, you just can't do it right. You can't have that happen. And that's that's why I said, you know, brought it up as my one big thing at Edge because I don't know what the what the world is that Joshu j gets a second contract with the Patriots. And it's one of those things where it's a little bit tricky because you mentioned Chandler Jones not a bad comparison, especially because they play the same position. He is deserving if he has another good year, I should go, yeah, he's deserving of it. Yeah, but it just doesn't necessarily make sense with the way that they play defense, right, it's a tricky one. I would also just mention quickly at edge the other big thing behind Well, look, so.
Speaker 1: They let Chandler Jones walk and then they they you know, they had already drafted, but they moved Trey Flowers into a bigger role who was a much better fit for what they want from that position. So you could see, you know, the guy on.
Speaker 2: Ke On White.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually, and that was my com for him, was Trey Flowers. Like, that's that's exactly I was gonna say, Ronnie Perkins. But I don't think he's gonna be here, but no, ke On White somebody. Yeah, so you let u cha walk, you don't pay him. Ke On White's probably gonna play that role more the way they want to play it. You already him in the building. You go take that fifteen million dollars, I'd say, go spend it on a receiver who knows how they'll spend it.
Speaker 2: On seventeen different plays exactly. Yeah, but Keon White's the guy. That was my other sort of spin off of that is behind Judah and Ucha. There's not a whole lot of proven Jennings. Anthony Jennings. I'm not forgetting about him this time. I just did. I I know. But do you think he's proven talent? Like, do you think he's a proven commodity?
Speaker 1: I think he's played. He's a backup significant NFL snaps okay, and he's held his own in playing significant NFL like proven is what I guess. My point is is like it is a third edge guy. Yeah, I feel very comfortable with him there.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna use the old Dave Damna check like Jenga analogy. If you pull Matthew Judon out of the Jenga tower, who who has a big enough piece to make sure the whole thing doesn't come out?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: You know what I would say, on a difference, it's not Anthony Jennings. But on a different scale, if you pull Anthony Jennings out, now, who's after him? I think he's the buffer. He's the buffer you.
Speaker 2: Like Anthroonty Jenning? I do, I think Alaya.
Speaker 1: I think he's a good rotational third edge guy. So you're and that's the role he's gonna be.
Speaker 2: So then if that's the case, then they don't have depth to shoes at that position.
Speaker 1: Well behind him they have nobody, and that's a position that gets and.
Speaker 2: Then it probably becomes like a morgas Borg of like Jolanie Devai and Keon White and like a bunch, you know, a couple of different games.
Speaker 1: It would be really nice to see if Ronnie Perkins can even turn into a guy that like they can elevate from the practice squad.
Speaker 2: That's it. But that's that's what we're talking about, because I like Ronnie Perkins coming out. I thought he had potential all right, off ball linebackers, inside linebackers. But you know where I'm going, Yeah, I am. It's too many of these have been the same.
Speaker 1: This is a little weird.
Speaker 2: It's the prodigal son of the Patriots defense. It's my it's my prodigal son, I should say it's Marty Mapo. Is this team that predictable or are we have we just been spending way too much time together. I think it's the fact that we've basically done this show in like a different way for like six.
Speaker 1: Plus all the times we've done it via text message.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like this is this is this is when you know that camp means to get here. Uh, it's Marty Mapoo. It's not only him as a player, it's how they use him. Yeah, it's if they're willing to use him the way that we want him to use him, which is at linebacker, not at safety, and not at like Kyle Dugger safety like no. I want him playing linebacker, inside linebacker and next to Juwan Bentley, who I think is gonna be rock solid for you again this year with Bentley and Mapu, to me, has a lot of potential. I think that he's got He's might be the missing ingredient to solving some of these mobile quarterbacks. He might be he might be a Josh Allen killer. And if that's if that's what he ends up being, then then watch out with this defense. I think this defense that to me is the biggest X factor. I think a lot of people make Christian Gonzalez the biggest X factor. I kind of know or feel like I know what they're gonna get at a Gonzalez this year. I'm not saying it's gonna be perfect. I think there's gonna be ups and downs to it, certainly, But I think that with Gonzalez, you know that you're probably gonna have a starting outside corner on a rookies like kind of like Devin mccordy his rookie year right, Like, it might not be perfect, but he's gonna be able to hold down the position and play it at a pretty good level. Marty Mapo is the X factor. He's the swing guy. If he is is a force like we think he might be able to be. I think that their defense just got a whole lot better in terms of the upside of the defense, especially against mobile quarterbacks. And they once again, not all of them are like super mobile, but Jalen Hurts is on the schedule, Josh Allen's on the schedule, Mahomes is on the schedule, Herbert's on the schedule, and then in Miami they still run a lot of RPO option looks with Tuo, even though he's not truly mobile mobile, they still run a lot of that stuff. So solving these like college spread offenses and these athletic quarterbacks playing the position, it's Marty Mapoo. He's might be one of the biggest things out of all the big things. I kind of narrowed in on it a little bit, just what does he look like? In fully padded practice. I feel like from the spring we got a good idea about his athleticism as instincts was football IQ all that, and they all check the boxes like they there's a reason we were raving about him. But he's still six three two seventeen and that's not big for Patriots linebacker. When he's got to take on a guard in the a gap, Yeah, what is that gonna look like? That is the biggest Just hope, all right, let all right, let me that. I hope I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: That old no no, no, no no, because I miss that old phrase came back like they shouldn't ask him to do that. That's why Bentley's here.
Speaker 2: Let me phrase that.
Speaker 1: What happens when he has to tackle a two hundred and twenty pound running back in space? Yeah sure, or a two hundred and forty pound quarterback in space maybe in you know, I don't think Malik Willis is that big, but you know Malik Willis or or Will Levis when they get to that test game, or even Ryan Tannehill, like these are bigger guys. Yeah, what happens when he's one on one with that quarterback? Can he chase him? Down. Can he bring him down when it's tight ends over the middle of things like that, Like, I just need to see him in contact because that's the last box he hasn't checked. He shouldn't be shooting the a gap. I regret I said that. That's why Bentley's here. He's even said he's playing next to Bentley. Bentley's gonna run downhill and Martine mop who's gonna handle your east to west?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: But I want to see him basically just physically take on bigger players.
Speaker 2: You got the you got the hammer, and you got the chaser, right Like, that's that's.
Speaker 1: All like a butterfly's thing, like a big right there you go.
Speaker 2: That's what you need with Marty Mapu.
Speaker 1: But the butterflies gotta have a little bit of bike.
Speaker 2: All right. Let's move on to court. Let's move on to safeties, because I think linebacker and safety in this defense is is pretty There's some overlap.
Speaker 1: There where it did a tight end before wide receivers. So just throw the whole order out.
Speaker 2: Is there an order? Yeah? Yeah, but what do you mean?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The baden order quarterback, running back, receiver, tight end, line d line, linebacker, corner, safety, specialists.
Speaker 2: Your order is based off of Madden.
Speaker 1: Everybody's orders based off of that.
Speaker 2: Well, they're showing the John Madden football life on the TV.
Speaker 1: It's also the order that that the fantasy football stuff is in, and it's it's I don't know where it's started. Going to safeties. That has always quarterback, running back, Okay, wide receiver, tight end, tackle, guard, center, defensive inside linebacker, outside linebacker, corner, free safety, strong safety, kicker on her third down running back.
Speaker 2: We're going to safeties because there's overlap with the linebackers.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying, we already threw out the order, so just go for it.
Speaker 2: My one big thing at safety, you know what, I'm gonna allow you to go to first because I keep stealing your one big thing. So I'm gonna be generous and I'm gonna allow you to go first.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna kind of pick up where I left off in the spring, which is like, how are the deep safety reps getting split up? It's clear that it's going to be by committee. We saw that in the spring, and we saw certain guys more than others. Jabrill Peppers played a pretty big role. I thought you saw Kyle Duggar back there a bunch Adrian Phillips a little bit, but you know, this is more of a joint practice thing. I don't know how much of this we'll see early on, but you know, Green Bay, Tennessee two minute trail, Ones on ones, Who's back? Who's deep?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it one? Is it two? Is it rotate?
Speaker 1: Is it rotation? It's Jonathan Jones back. They're just all of it. Ed's kind of cut into that. I got asked on my mail bag this week on ninety eight five the Sports of dot Com, who is my surprise like potential breakout player for the Patriots is here? On defense? I have Dabrill Peppers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think last year he was coming off Torney cl he was in a new system, and he was pretty good last year and well it remember took a while. It was the second half he started to come on. Now he's healthy, he's got a full year in the system. He hit his stride late in the year. He's going to beat the whole It seems like the whole thing for the safeties this year, just overall's versatility. The way they're going to make the most out of the safety position is putting guys in different spots and mixing and matching, and no player is better suited for that than Jabrill Peppers. Yeah, so I don't know that he's gonna be like they're starting deep safety. I don't even know that he's going to be their most used safety.
Speaker 2: He's such one of those guys that it's kind of and I know that this is different because it's started here and ended here, but like it's like Patrick Chung, where like Bill's just the right coach to figure out how to use them, and early on in his career goes to Cleveland, he's like this, he's like the Heisman runner up.
Speaker 1: Or in college and they didn't use him right at all, Right.
Speaker 2: And it just it takes a coach like Bill who who is so good at taking guys that are are a tweeners and these like outside the box players and putting them into it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny. Joe Judge kind of figured or I forget who the DC was under Judge, but I think it was Patrick Graham, who is a Patriots guy. Yeah, he's in Vegas now, right, he's sorting maritainus. They kind of figured he kind of figured out in New York and then he tours. Acl right, he had a really good year in twenty one or no, he had a really good year in twenty and then towards a cl in twenty one and then came here. So he's still young. People didn't realize how young he's still young. I am really excited for what Chah Bill Peppers is gonna do this year. I think he could be like I again, I don't know that he's gonna be their most of use safety. I think Duggart's gonna play more. I think Pepper's. I think Phillips is gonna play more. But like third down, gotta have it downs, I think they're gonna put Jabrill Peppers on the field in a spot to make a play, and I think he's gonna make some plays, all right.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, since it's a big thing, I'm picking more big picture as well. I still think the we talked about Jenga, Yeah, I still think how they replace the leadership lost by Devin mccorty is it is maybe the biggest change.
Speaker 1: I guess I didn't think of that because it's it's weird, because that's like mccordy, we're doing this by position. McCarty's a safety, but I think that honestly comes from linebacker in corner.
Speaker 2: It just feels like they absolutely they need to figure out a communication process early on in camp, and they need to stick with it, and guys need to take on that responsible That's a big part of.
Speaker 1: The reason I want John Jones as safety.
Speaker 2: They can't just force that on somebody. Yeah, like if it's not if it's if you're not built for it, and you're not, it's not a responsibility you want to take on. You can't just be thrown into it. Well, well, look Bentley is probably going to do something quarterback to front seven. That's not a problem.
Speaker 1: I still think John Jones is the guy now. If he's playing boundary corner, that's really hard for me to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could probably do it a little bit more from Nickel, But I think the biggest thing is is like when you're back there, you just see it right, Like you see the whole formation and you can kind of scan it and and see it's like a quarterback right now, you can sit back there and kind of figure out where everything is coming.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's Phillips. I just he's a smart guy.
Speaker 2: Well, We're listening to Belichick talk at Devin mccorty's retirements press conference, and who's talking about that AFC Championship game against Kansas City and all of the different checks and all the different calls that Devin made in that game to make sure that they had Tyreek Hill cover lock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: That's gonna happen again this year. Obviously, it's gonna happen literally with the same player twice this year with Tyreek Hill. But in general, it's gonna happen, and they're gonna have to be able to figure it out. I think the one thing, and I always give Bill credit for this, the one thing that makes their defense so great is they don't beat themselves defensively. They are structurally sound. They are terrifically structurally sound. I know some places that track it is a little bit subjective of how they track it, but like in terms of like busted coverage rate, the Patriots are always, you know, the top of the league, and how good they are at not doing that right. Like they don't just let guys run through. They don't just lose guys like twenty yards behind the defense like that thing. That type of thing just doesn't happen here. I'm not saying they don't get beat, but they get beat because it's just man on man. They get beat, right, right, But they don't beat themselves. They're not you know, they don't play cover three and they they don't have a hook, right and you're looking around and you're like, who's the hook? Right, Like, they don't. That stuff doesn't happen with the Pats. And a lot of that was because they basically had a defensive coordinator on the field in the back end. It's safe, right, a lot of that and it's gonna be a big deal for them. It's gonna be a big deal. All right, let's move over to corners. One big thing at corner. I thought about going Christian Gonzales here. It's it's it's it's low hanging fruit. I'll let you take that one.
Speaker 1: I mean live reps, Like, how does he look in live reps?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't want to say, yeah, pads on physicality, right, Like, how does he take that on as a as a more slender guy. The one thing that I'm gonna I think that the position I'm trying to think. I want to phrase this exactly. I think the Nickel position needs to be upgraded from Miles Bryant, and I hate picking directly on Myles bryan All.
Speaker 1: In theory, they have two better options than Jonathan Jones and Marcus Jones didn't have last year. Now, some of that goes to Jack Jones and Jalen Mills, but one of those two guys should be able, assuming everybody's healthy, one of those two guys should be able to play in there. This goes back to something Evan I talked about a lot last week. I'd still like to see them out a veteran boundary corner, like a true third veteran boundary corner, even if it's just Terrence Mitchell coming back, just so you don't end up in a spot this year where you're having to play both Jonathan Jones and Marcus Jones on the boundary regularly.
Speaker 2: Correct, But I hear you. I guess uh, Christian Gonzas is on one side, Jonathan Jones on the other side for now, Right, we're assuming that Jack Jones is not available, right, isn't Jalen Mills that.
Speaker 1: Guy unless they're just going to play him at safety? They It seems pretty clear that Jalen Mills is just a safety now. So yeah, to be fair, moving Jalen Mills back to corner could be the thing, but it's I think just like I think they're just done with that.
Speaker 2: I think Jalen Mills for them this year. I think they were done with it before Jack Jones. Okay, situation, that's fair, that's fair post Jack Jones situation, and I and I don't want to get too much into the into the Jack Jones thing, but post Jack Jones situation, I think Jalen Mills is he's a fire extinguisher. He puts out fires. Now, if in some game plans he's better at safety, he's gonna play safety. In some game plans, he's better at corner. He's gonna play corner. And when I say better, I mean more use for the matchup. So if when they play Cincinnati, instead of having to run Jonathan Jones against T Higgins, now, now maybe Jalen Mills plays corner that game and Jonathan Jones gets who goes back into the middle of the field for the day. If they're playing a match against Miami, maybe Miami is a matchup where Jalen plays more, plays more safety because they have smaller receivers, and they don't necessarily need Jalen Mills to play on the outside. I think Jalen Mills now goes and puts fires out.
Speaker 1: I like that, and I if that's if that's great.
Speaker 2: I think it's a really really valuable role. I think that that's like one of the things I'm more excited about with this defense is that they have that they have somebody they can move around like that I wouldn't call quite like a queen on the chessboard, maybe like a like a night or a rook right, Like, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, what uh to cross sports for a second, what brock Holt was and is playing with utility left fielder needs a day off, right, Brock, you're playing left field, second base. We needs a day off, Brock playing second Like, it's just wherever you need him, you can just put in there. I hope that's the case, because that then, yeah, you don't need that other boundary corner and and you save one of John Jones or Marcus Jones to play in the slot. And Miles bryan I've said this for I don't think Miles Bryant would be a bad third safety, fourth safety, whatever, like extra safety that's probably a better role than him. We don't need seem in man coverage anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agreed, that's a big thing. Yeah, you gotta get him out of man coverage. You gotta all right, specialists, you're you're your time to shine.
Speaker 1: So, like I said, I'm breaking my preview up into two parts. There's the position battle.
Speaker 2: Part seventeen thousand words. So it's actually it needs to be broken up into teams.
Speaker 1: Well, no, it's two different things. It's the position battles and then everything else to watch. So I obviously position battle punter right is a big but for the what to watch for the special teams, I'm actually curious just how they handle kickoffs. We didn't see a ton of kickoff work in the spring. It's a new rule and kickoff returns to all of it.
Speaker 2: So do you mean like from a technical standpoint, or do you mean like, let's not have Niam Hines happen again.
Speaker 1: All of it? Like, how are they adjusting to the new rule. There's you know, they invested in special teams in the offseason. They brought in Chris Board, they kind of overhaul that position. Just what does the kickoff unit look like? What is the return unit look like? Are they going to allow teams to return kicks?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Are they gonna just try to go for touchbacks? Are they going to maybe put some fhis summer returning kicks? Are they gonna draw some stuff up? Are they gonna line up any differently? Like, I'm just curious how they're going to adapt. It is mainly I'm curious how they're gonna adapt to the new rules in that phase the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're on the same lines as because I'm on a coaching line too, and I think that's more coaching. But I look at the way this team is constructed and I don't necessarily need them to win games in the kicking game, Like it's obviously gravy if you have Marcus Jones return a punt for a touchdown in a game, or you block a punt or whatever the case may be. But they are not going to make the playoffs again this year. They're not gonna get back to the playoffs if they're losing games because of special teams. And when I say losing games, maybe that's a little strong, but if special teams is working against them, they're gonna have a lot of trouble. I think yeah, And they are gonna have to be a clean football team again. And this is part of the reason why Bill O'Brien's back is to not necessarily because they need to, you know, change philosophies to score forty points a game or like, it's not that deep. It's simply just they need to be cleaner on offense. They need to be a more well oiled machine. I think special teams is the same way. They need to be cleaner. They can't be running into the punter on fourth and three anymore. They can't be giving up two kickoff return touchdowns in a must win, basically playoff game in Week eighteen of the season in Buffalo. We can go down the line with all all the things that happened last year that needs to change. And in the spring, Alex we saw a lot of Joe Judge on special teams. It almost felt like exclusively he's the special teams coordinator, even though he's not listed as a special teams coordinator. That is what it feels like. And if that's the answer, then that's the answer. But this, to me is the biggest risk that Bill Belichick is taking with this team again. This year is he's counting on Joe Judge to do something again. He's counting on Joe Judge to clean up special team and if special teams are a disaster again. All those calls that we didn't get as many of them on this show. They know not to call us about the drama. They leave that for Patriots unfiltered. But all the calls that we get we got earlier today on PU about Belichick's future and about his status as a coach here with the Patriots, if they lose a must win game again like they did last year against Buffalo because of kickoff returns, and it's Joe Judge's fault, it's just another It's another bullet in the old Ammo chamber.
Speaker 1: Right, like it's you start, We'll start getting the friends of Bill talking right again.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And I also wonder, and I like cam Accord. We like cam Accord just getting to know him a little bit covering the team. Yeah, I wonder what cam Accord's role is, what his thoughts are on all this, how he handles it. And it has a trickle down effect too, because they have three coaches now coaching special teams, by the way, because Joe Houston is still in the building. And Joe Houston was the assistants beech teams coach last year and Camra Cord was a special teams coordinator. Now Joe Houston's basically like the assistant to the assistant special teams coach. Right, all right, it's it's the old Dwight true. So at what point, like, how does that affect the dynamic and how does it affect at all? They need to be better in the kicking game. They need to go get back to in twenty one they were really good in the kicking game. Obviously in twenty they were I think that was probably their best year under a Cord. That was the year that you know, Gunner goes the against All Pro nods as a returner. Bailey was an All Pro punter that year. They won games on special teams or you know, had big plays in games on special teams. I should say this team's gonna need it. They're gonna need those points. They're gonna be the hidden yards. They're gonna need the occasional block punt, they're gonna need the occasional field flipping return. They're gonna need to cover kicks well. And if that's how they win, you know, that's how they're gonna win, you know, playoff amount of games, that's how they're gonna beIN ten to eleven games as if they do that. So that's a big deal with the special teams. I think that about does it here. Like I said at the beginning of the show, Alex and I are going to record right after this and you guys are gonna hear it next week, A how to a faq as Fred called it, of Patriots training camp. We're gonna get into the weeds a little bit about how we watch camp and that type of stuff. Well, altys have some fun with it and give some suggestions of you know, lunch spots and that type of thing. But it's a it's a Patriots Catch twenty two faq on training camp. But don't don't call in next Thursday, all right, don't call in, don't email in. It's not gonna be live live. We're live to tape. We're live to tape, So keep that in mind. And I will be on vacation. But and hopefully Just isn't listening to this. But if DeAndre Hopkins signed, we might have to do an emergency pod. So we'll we'll think about that when the cause, well cause everage when we get to it all right, But until then, make sure you still listen to next week's show. We will have something for you in my stead, we promise, but until then, signing off for Alex Bart, I'm Evan Lazar. Thanks for watching on YouTube, thanks for listening, and we'll speak to you guys next week.
Speaker 7: Rite Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe on Apple, Google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.