Speaker 1: One plus six might be one of the best Android smartphones of the year. What's going on? I'm Rich Damiro. This is Rich on Tech Daily. So you know about Apple and Samsung, but have you heard about one plus. The company makes a flagship style device for less and their latest is called the one plus six. Recently I sat down with Kyle Jung and San Francisco to talk about it. He's their general manager for North America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so one plus is a coming. Started a little bit over four years ago, and our first vice one plus one was very popular among the tech enthusiasts, and so since then we've been making mobile Android flagship phones and they're generally thought of is the highest performing devices with also maybe the preferred software solution for people that prefer a particular Android experience.
Speaker 1: The one plus six has a giant six inch screen plus a beautiful design that fits nicely in your hand. There's also a dual camera set up on the back, a great selfie camera, a fingerprint reader, face unlock, and loads of extras that let you customize how your phone works. But this phone is sold unlocked and with no bloatwear.
Speaker 2: I think with every one of our devices there's a theme of continuous improvement. I think this is our best device yet. I think the mobile industry expects from us, maybe the best performing devices, and we have a theme of fast and smooth. I think this device is the best embodiment of that.
Speaker 1: The one Plus costs five hundred and thirty dollars unlocked, probably the biggest downside. You can't walk into a store to buy one. You have to get it direct from one Plus.
Speaker 2: We're a different company in the sense that we're not the same size as maybe an Apple or Samsung, and we don't carry all the infrastructure, sales, distribution, million dollar advertising campaigns. So really all our focus goes into the device, and so there's probably a difference in terms of how we approach kind of how we do devices, and I think people have been very satisfied in terms of what we deliver and have sought us out based on that approach.
Speaker 1: Now I've been using one plus phones for a while and I noticed that the camera on this one is definitely improved compared to previous models. I think you're gonna get much more consistent shots. It's an excellent performer in bright light, but most phones are these days. But I think it also does well in other conditions lower light and in portrait mode. You're gonna get mostly good shots out of this thing.
Speaker 2: So I think we're really excited about the camera solution we have. One of the things that's new is we have OIS. It's basically optical stabilization, especially in terms of low light, and it will help low light photographs on the main sensor, and I think people that have tried the device so far have been pretty happy with the performance of the camera.
Speaker 1: The biggest issue I have with the camera on the one plus six is that when you're taking shots that have motion in them, like if your kids are in the shot, they can be blurred. So with me, I had kind of mixed results with this. If there's a lot of moving in the shot, it kind of could be tough to grab a good shot on your first try. But a couple of tries and hopefully you'll get something that's usable. When it comes to design, the one plus is top notch. Hahaha, I know tech humor. Yes, the one plus six does have a notch, but you can hide it with software.
Speaker 2: People have been very impressed with the material design and the overall look of the device. I'd say it will be the fastest performing phone there is, or kind of philosophy of fast and smooth in terms of the highest performing hardware, and the most preferred software solution in Android in terms of being clean, no bloat experience. I think all those factors, along with the best charging technology, make it the best offering there is.
Speaker 1: The software on the one plus six is excellent. It will satisfy even the most critical Android user. Think Google Pixel style stock Android, but with a bunch of little extras built in, like the ability to turn your screen black and white when you're reading a book on the Kindle app or another reading app, or you can have your status bar display exactly what you want it to show. And the software on the one plus is noticeably peppy. It's literally responsive unlike any other device I've used. It even makes my Pixel to XL seem slow in comparison.
Speaker 2: Now we're as good as the device that you bought from us. And I think devices that are even coming up on two years of one plus three people are still extremely satisfy with our software. Updates have been quick and the one plus you know, those devices are still performing extremely fast, where people are still really satisfying so I think even though as a company we've we've introduced two phones a year previously, people are still satisfied with the phone they get and they can have confidence in.
Speaker 1: That bottom line. The one plus is a great alternative to what Apple and Samsung offer, but at a lower price. But many people don't even realize it's an option, and once you're interested in this device, well it's kind of a leap of faith to buy something online site on scene. Still, one plus says their brand continues to grow because when people buy a device from them, they're generally pretty happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the one thing we're noticing is we're growing a lot in the United States and that's without you know, giant marketing campaigns. And I think one of the reasons for that is more and more people are becoming aware of kind of one plus and also the idea of you can, you know, buy your own phone direct, and I think that's something that more and more people are coming around to, and once they kind of take that step learn a little bit more about mobile devices, they're seeing that we believe we have the best offering.
Speaker 1: You can read my entire review of the one plus six plus, see some pictures I took on it and see how fast the face online. Just go to my website. It is rich on tech dot tv. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks so much for listening to the podcast. I'm Rich Tomiro. I'll talk to you real soon