Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshon. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshon, And here we are Dad. Another episode and another snowstorm.
Speaker 2: We had to shovel out of right before recording.
Speaker 3: How long did you shovel this morning, Jeff?
Speaker 1: I mean, I did end up helping a couple of neighbors, So I ended up being out there a couple hours, just because I was the first.
Speaker 2: One in my neighborhood to get done.
Speaker 1: And then I saw some other people out there struggling, so I walked around with my shovel.
Speaker 2: I would say I was out there. Then McKinley came out, wanted to have a snowball fight, and there was then she wanted to drive in her bike in her car once I got everything cleaned off. So I was there for two and a half hours, easily, right.
Speaker 3: It took me two hours to do our driveway. Of course, our driveway is longer than your driveway. Our driveway is longer than certain runways at Washington Reagan Airport. So I was out there for two hours, and I'm feeling good. You fell asleep, took a nap and fell asleep today did I hear that properly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had to call me because we had a set time for recording. And all of a sudden, my phone is buzzing and I look at it and it's five minutes past our allotted recording time. And I have fallen asleep in my daughter's bed during her naptime.
Speaker 2: And keep in mind, I was so tired.
Speaker 1: Dad, that I looked at the clock and I had thirty minutes. I said, oh, I'm fine, I'm good, I'm gonna I'll be fine. I won't fall back asleep, And all of a sudden, it's thirty five minutes later, and I have been asleep for thirty five.
Speaker 2: Minutes, and you called me, and I apologize. I don't like being late for things.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's OK, Yeah I'm late. When you were a kid, I would lie down next to you on your bed, like every night, well to make sure that you got to sleep because you had such a difficult time. And famously, Jeff, you you got really quiet, and I thought, great, I've got it. This is it. He's asleep. He's not going to say he's asleep. And then you looked at me. You're like four years old, it said, my toe hurts. What did that mean? My toe hurt? It was just another stalling tactic by four year old Jeff Kirchen. And now you're thirty two and you're still taking NAT.
Speaker 2: My toe still hurts.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, yeah, no worry.
Speaker 1: But that's the that's the dreaded storyatic arthritis that I was just diagnosed with at age thirty two.
Speaker 2: So well, you know, I feel like.
Speaker 1: I'm thirty two inside, but I walk like I'm fifty two. So the new medication, Dad, is hopefully gonna make me feel a little bit better. But I want you, Dad, I'm going to sound like you here. Are you ready, Jeff? I want you to ask me about my hat?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What I want you to ask about my hat?
Speaker 3: What is what is that? The Polar Express? Is that the Tom No? What does that say? Polar Express is Tom Hanks who played like everyone it was great?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, this is this is the polar Plunge. This past weekend, the Special Olympics Pennsylvania hosted and and polar plunges across the country. Of course, it's uh for the Special Olympics and those incredible athletes. And what we did was we had pools set up outside Citizens Bank Park in South Philadelphia, freezing cold. Me and a couple of my coworkers were hosting the event, and I jumped into a pool pool filled with water.
Speaker 2: In the middle of the winter.
Speaker 3: Now, what were you wearing, Jeff? Did you have a sweatsuit on, a swimsuit, regular clothes? What did you have?
Speaker 1: You know, some people they dress up, they have you know, cool two two's or outfits, or they wear onesies with animals on them or something. I just wore a bathing suit and a longsleeve shirt and I jumped in and Dad, you know me in water, we don't exactly get along.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I didn't learn how to swim until I was fifteen years old.
Speaker 2: That's the story for another time.
Speaker 1: And I don't even like being in water. If my head goes under, I end up with an ear infection. Anyway, the point is I did it because these brave, incredible special Olympics athletes are doing it too, and I said, I gotta do it. I gotta support the cause. And I jumped in. And the air temperature outside Dad was like forty five.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh, that's okay, all right, twenty five fifteen, that's different. You got lucky, right, forty five was not bad. Right.
Speaker 1: We had the one decent day in like a month and a half in the Philadelphia area and it happened to be the day of the polar plunge. And I don't I don't know if I would have done it if it was twenty five out there.
Speaker 2: It was bad, but we did it and it was a great time.
Speaker 3: How long were you in the water?
Speaker 1: I mean about as fast as it takes for the pitch to be delivered from the pitcher.
Speaker 3: Oh, so you jumped in, You did your job and got right back out. Oh.
Speaker 1: I jumped in, Dad, and I was running towards the stairs of the pool immediately.
Speaker 2: It was a It was not a here I am splashing around.
Speaker 3: I'm proud of you for doing something for such a good cause. And we all know you're not very good in the water. You're not very good on land either, Jeff, but the water really bothers you. And I still don't understand how you could have flown in a like a jet that was going like a thousand miles an hour and you you're not afraid of heights and all this other stuff, but you just have trouble in the water. I don't blame you. We'll have to get that fixed when you're you know, maybe fifty years old or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're I had a chance to go on a US Navy Blue Angel back in my time in Cleveland, Ohio. They took a media member up before the Cleveland Air Show.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, that was wouldn't do it again.
Speaker 1: And the reason why is I would want somebody else to have that opportunity because it was so incredible, so invigorating, but also so scary and so difficult. You're fighting the laws of nature while you're up there, right, but it was absolutely amazing.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, speaking of amazing, Jeff, I'm going to spring training on Thursday. I'm usually the first guy in spring training. This year, I'm going to be the last guy in spring training, but not the point at least I'm going. And forty five years ago was my first spring training at the nineteen eighty two Rangers. I covered them. I went in eighty one, but it really didn't count. Eighty two really counted because it was it was my first as a full time, full time beat writer. So I get to Pompino Beach, Florida, and Jeff, I haven't traveled a whole lot at this point, so I'm not sure. I've never been to Pompino Beach. All sorts of things are going on. And I look on a map back when we used to look at maps to figure out how to get places, and it said down in the right hand corner Municipal Stadium, home of the Washington Senators. They had moved ten years earlier to Texas, and they were still on the map as the Washington Senator. So I'm thinking right away, maybe the Rangers are not a big deal here in Papaino. And boy did I ever find that out, because the stadium, as quaint as it was, was tiny. They only had one extra field, and it was like a half field, like a little field, with the left field fence was about a one hundred and twenty feet away. You just took infield there. And this is a terrible story, Jet, but I'm gonna tell you anyway, and I'm gonna leave the guy's name out. One day on that side field, one of the Rangers pitchers looked up in the air and there was a seagull flying and he's doing a pitching drill in the stretch to please I don't want to offend anyone here, just want to tell a story. And he looks and he says, to everyone who cared to listen, I'm gonna wheel And instead of throwing it to second base in a pickoff drill, he said, I'm gonna hit that seagull. So he's fun. He threw it. He threw the ball. This is awful. I can't believe I'm telling this. He hit the seagull and the seagull landed like right next to second base. It was awful. And Charlie Huff, Charlie Up, one of the funniest people of the world, just looked at us and said, that's what happens when you don't wear a helmet. So we had a dead seagull on the field in spring training nineteen eighty two. Those are just a few things that happened there. I've told you. Let's see if you can remember the Mickey River story that I told you from spring training. Mickey River is making four hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year, the everyday center fielder for the Rangers. Asked me what three weeks into spring training, He asked.
Speaker 1: You for what twenty thousand dollars two thousand dollars too, as if he could borrow two thousand.
Speaker 3: I had to say, Mick, I'm making thirteen thousand dollars a year. I don't have two thousand dollars to my entire name. And Buddy Bell, who was the best player on that team, just kind of whispered me Tim, like, new guy on the beat, don't ever loan Mickey any money because you're never never going to see it again. Yes, that was a great spring for me. I got to know Al Oliver really well, and they traded Al Oliver at the end of spring training to the expos And just to show you how the beat worked, I broke that story. But I really didn't break it because Randy Galloway, the great Randy Galloway, who I followed on the beat, he broke the story. He gave me the story and it went under my byline in the Dallas Morning News. So my first breaking story as a beat guy at the Morning News was was furnished by Randy Galloway, one of the great beat writers of all time. So I had and at the end of that spring training Jeff the Rangers traded Ron Darling, who was a guest of ours last year on the podcast. Really Good Picture won a World Series with the with the Mets in nineteen eighty six, and Walt Terrell, also a Very Good Picture, traded both of them for Lee Mozzilly right the end of spring training because they needed a left fielder. So it turned out to be a really bad trade for the Rangers. But I remember in reporting that story, I called looking for Joe Klein, who was the farm director, and I got his assistant and I said, I'm looking for Joe. Is he there? And the assistant said, no, Joe is dead. He jumped off the roof of the holiday and after hearing about the trade, So just shows you how bad a deal that was. So that was my first spring training as an everyday beat writer nineteen eighty two. A completely different world than the one we live in today.
Speaker 1: Well, Dad, I know we're approaching March madness. But one of my favorite spring training stories of all time was when we were in Arizona and we watched your alma mater, University of Maryland win the National championship. And that was during a spring training trip.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Do you remember that we're in Arizona and we watched it.
Speaker 1: We were in a hotel room with a dinky TV and we watched that game, and I remember it because of the time change as well. The game was a little bit earlier, so us kids were able to stay up and actually watch it. And your team, your alma mater.
Speaker 2: The Terps win, and that was with Oh my gosh, Steve Blake was on that team.
Speaker 1: What a great, such a fun experience go into these baseball games running home in order to see this game with you, and we got to watch it with you.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 3: And Wan Dixon made the big three pointer that broke that game open, and there was plenty of time on the shot clock, and it was one of those things like should you be shooting at this early? And he just drills the three and wins the game. So it was Yeah, that was great and good memory, Jeff. That might have been your first spring training and so this is my forty first and that was your first. Very good.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, Well let's jump into the takeaways right now. What's going on across Major League baseball. Obviously we're in spring training, but there's some big news we got to address right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bill Mazowski died. One of the great people I've ever met in the game. I believe he's the greatest defensive second baseman of all time. Nobody, but nobody. Jeff made the double play, the turn from second base, the pivot from second base better than Bill Mazerowski. He's got those short, stubby, really strong legs, and he would stand right on top of the bag and anyone who wanted to slide into him, he would say, go ahead, but I'm not moving, and he didn't. Davy Johnson ended up being a really good second baseman in his day, And like so many others, they watched Bill Mazerowski play second base and they patterned themselves after him. They watched him and said, that's who I want to be. And he's a Hall of Famer. Of course, his offensive numbers are not overwhelming, but Jeff, it's really important to remember what the nineteen sixties was like offensively. Okay, you look at Bill Mazerowski's numbers that they don't blow you away, but back then those numbers as the second baseman were above average. But you take that and then you just include the defense. That's how he's a Hall of Famer. And I believe, Jeff, he had the biggest home run in Major League history. Now, we're not going to include Hank aaron here because there was so much more involved there in the passing of Babe Ruth. You know, racism, hatred, all that. Hank Aarons is in a different category. But I think Bill Mazerowski's Game seven leadoff home run against the Yankees to win that game ten to nine is the biggest home run in Major League history because there've only been two walk off homers to in the sixth game or seventh game of a World Series Joe Carter in ninety three, but that was in Game six, and this was in Game seven, and the Pirates, who just got pounded in their three losses in that series, came back to win and beat the Yankees ten to nine. Let's see if you can remember, Jeff, the distinct.
Speaker 1: In the Pirates get massively outscored in that series and still, yeah.
Speaker 3: I used to know it by heart, but yeah, they got outscored by like thirty runs in seven games and they still won the World Series, just proving again you can you can win a game fourteen to nothing, fifteen to another and it doesn't matter. You got to win the next day.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that was fifty five to twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Dad, that was the series nineteen sixty and they still won, having been outscored by almost thirty run.
Speaker 3: Let's see how good your memory is, Jeff. The ten to nine final in Game seven, among other things. What was the distinction of that game ten to nine? I told you this before.
Speaker 1: It was something it was there were well, okay, I do remember that the Pirates of all four games they won, they won each one by.
Speaker 2: One or two.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm just talking about Game seven, Jeff. I think this is important still, after all these zero strikeouts. Zero strikeouts only that's the distinction. Zero strikeouts in Game seven of the World Series. You know, Jeff, we average eighteen strikeouts per game. Now, I've covered postseason games where there were thirty strikeouts in the game zero.
Speaker 2: It feels like we average eighteen strikeouts in it it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, the strikeout rate is out of control. The pitching we see today, the stuff is just ridiculous. So yeah, just but that was a historic series. Arguably that's the greatest game in the history of the World Series. I think it's the biggest home run in Major League history and it was hit by Bill Mazeroski. Who's again. I met him a bunch of times, loved every second I was with him. Really down to earth kind of guy. And if you're remember Jeff at his Hall of Fame speech, I think he only lasted about three minutes and thirty seconds because he said a bunch of times, I'm not going to get through this because he was so overcome by emotion that he just started crying. He just started sobbing. So if anyone ever wonders like how important the Hall of Fame is to these players, go listen to that speech. Sometime he was so overwhelmed he couldn't even finish it. And no one had a problem with that, because that's how important it was for Bill Mazerowski to make it to Cooper's staff.
Speaker 2: Well, Dad, in spirit of the late great, why not bring back an old team Tim that he's a part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've done this before. So if anyone complains that, hey, I've heard this list before, this team Tim before, it's okay, we're going to do it again as a tribute to Bill Mazarowski.
Speaker 2: Well let the record show Dad.
Speaker 1: I think of any podcasts and any group of people, our listeners, members of our family complain the least I have never experienced, in years of radio working for radio stations across the country, experience people as kind and as warm hearted as the people who listen to our show. Seriously, Dad, it's incredible. How sweet the messages we get at Great Game or what dot Com?
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you agree? I mean, the messages we get are just amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're really kind hearted and sorry, Jeff, that's what we're trying to get at here. We laugh and we learn on this podcast. There's so much hatred in the world. There's no reason to be spewed it here when it's out there everywhere else. Agreed, Agreed, Okay, agreed about Jeff. This is my team, Tim, my greatest defensive players at each position. I say this every time. This is not the correct list, This is not the right list. This is my list. If you have a better list than I do, I'd love to hear it. Johnny Bench is the greatest defensive catcher of all time for me. Keith Hernandez is the first baseman. And we had Johnny and Keith as our guests right last year. How cool is that.
Speaker 2: We're knocking out people on this list one after another.
Speaker 3: Bill Mazerowski at second, Brooks Robinson at third, sixteen Gold Gloves. Ozzie Smith is the shortstop, and I think you could make the case that he is the greatest defensive player of all time at any position, given the importance and the degree of difficulty of the position of shortstop. So Ozzy's our shortstop. Carly Streemsky is our left fielder. I grew up watching him play, not every day, but we saw enough of him. Nobody played the wall better than him. He was fabulous. Willie Mays is the greatest center fielder of all time for me, and I saw him play, maybe not in his prime, but I saw enough of him to say I've never seen anyone play center field like him. And Roberto Clementi is our right fielder. And our picture is Greg Maddox, who in a close vote over Jim Cott, I think Maddox won sixteen Gold Gloves. And I'll never forget this story. Jeff walt Weiss played with Greg Mannox in Atlanta. Walt Weiss was the shortstop on Braves for at least a time when Maddox was there, So what he told me was when Maddox would throw to home plate, he never threw a ball straight unless he really wanted to. He had natural movement on everything, because that's what Greg Maddox could do better than anyone. But on the one six' three double play where the pitcher catches it and fires it to the, shortstop who fires it to the first, Baseman Walt weiss told Me Greg maddox threw the greatest four, seamer which is of course a straight ball right to the, shortstop better than any pitcher he's ever. Seen so pitches to the. Plate he had natural movement on. It he made it move the way he. Wanted but when he caught a bow and KNEW i have to throw to a, base he threw a perfect four seam. Striketh that's how Great Greg maddox was as a fielding.
Speaker 1: Pitcher Brooks robinson had Sixteen Greg maddox eighteen eighteen.
Speaker 3: EIGHTEEN i did a.
Speaker 1: QUICK i did a quick fact check for, You, dad just to make sure you had that.
Speaker 2: Right you're absolutely.
Speaker 1: Right we just talked About Greg maddox's glove and how huge it, was how big it, was and when you put it up in comparison to our LITTLE a two, thousands it's a big, difference.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah he was really, Good. Jeff and he once yelled at one of his second basemen for playing too much up the middle and a ball got through into the outfield to the second baseman's. Left, okay the guy was shading up the middle a little bit too, much and when the ball went, Through maddox was furious and he yelled at his own second. BASEMENT i told YOU i got anything up the, middle which Which i'll allowed the second baseman and the shortstop to play different in different areas Because maddox could cover so much ground on balls hit up the. Middle that's how good he.
Speaker 2: Was all, Right, dad on this date baseball, history what do you?
Speaker 3: Have all? Right on this? Date Eddie murray was born in nineteen fifty. SIX i Covered Eddie murray with The. Orioles he's one of the greatest Players i've ever, covered one of the greatest switch, hitters maybe the second greatest switch hitter of all. TIME i THINK i told you, This. Jeff you, Know eddie didn't like a lot of sports, riders and that included me for a long. Time that's hardly the. POINT i get on the airplane to go to spring training in nineteen eighty, six And Richard, justice who was with The Washington. POST i was With baltimore's. Son he introduces me on thee To Floyd, rayford who is a member of The. Orioles AND i haven't Met floyd yet Because i've been covering The rangers for four years and Now i'm covering The. Orioles So richard, Says, tim this Is Floyd, Rayford, floyd this Is. Tim he's going to be covering the. Team If Floyd rayford looks at, Me jeff and he, Goes eddie's going to hate. You AND i, SAID i said, Why he, goes your head's too big for the rest of your, body AND i, went stop. IT i, MEAN i have a tiny little, body BUT i got a pretty small head. Too SO i actually went into the bathroom on the airplane just to take a look at my head BECAUSE i just had a guy tell me my head is too big for the rest of my. Body and, Yes eddie did hate me for several, years but we patch it. Up it's all. Good it's not all, good but, yes everything's. Good. Now happy birthday To Eddie murray born on this date in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Fifty, now maybe if he said your nose is a little too big for your, body because you AND i both big.
Speaker 3: Noses Little, yeah WHEN i lean back like, this my nose looks like a two car. Garage and it's always been that. Way all, right that's really, bad. Okay Also Birthday jef nineteen, Sixty Nick. Saski he was a good. Hitter jet played for a bunch of. Teams and you, KNOW i wrote a. Book my third book is Called I'm fascinated By Sacrifice, Flies Nicki. Saski in nineteen eighty, Nine get, this drove in one hundred and eight runs and did not have a sacrifice. Fly do you find that almost impossible to? Believe one hundred and eight rbs zero sacrifice? Flies Thereditive Chilie davis had one hundred and twelve RBIs in the season nineteen ninety three without a sacrifice. Fly so you, know The Eddie murray's of the. World by the, Way Eddie, murray LAST i, looked holds the record for most sacrifice. FLIES i think it's one twenty eight In Major league. History and he never led the league in any season in sacrifice. Flies how weird is that he has the most? Adds? Crazy the LAST i Checked i'm. Checked in a couple of years he had the most, ever but he never led the league in sacrifice flies in any. Season how weird is?
Speaker 2: That you, know we have a.
Speaker 1: Lot of seam heads, dad who listened to this. Show MAYBE i could give a little. Assignment, right here's my, assignment, Right why don't we do who has the most of all TIME x who never led the league in? It?
Speaker 3: All, right That's we'll come up with some possibilities for next. Week, okay and.
Speaker 2: It might the list might be one other.
Speaker 1: THING i don't, know But i'll put a challenge out there to the steam, heads to members of the family.
Speaker 2: That listen to is this a great game or? What let us. Know you can message us great game or what dot.
Speaker 1: Com we're always responding to your messages right there on the. Website will make it really. Easy so the assignment again is find a record somebody who all time holds the record for the most somethings but never led the league in those in that.
Speaker 3: Category? Cool, Cool we'll try that next. Week, Okay happy birthday To Bronson. Arroyo now let's see if you know Who Bronson arroyo, Is, jeff because you messed up his. Name you screwed this up, badly like like six months, ago you, remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah AND i can't remember WHO i mistaken him. For but he's the Former Red sox pitcher with the Corn.
Speaker 3: Rows, yes and.
Speaker 1: Had the run in With Alex rodriguez at first base in The. Alcs correct, me that's, it you got.
Speaker 3: It but what what is the distinction Of Bronson? Arroyo what is he also really really good at you should.
Speaker 2: He's a great session so he?
Speaker 3: FAMOUS i know, that, yes, well he famously told me ONCE i played With Eddie vedder AND i played With Ozzie, SMITH i can die a happy. Man. Wow, So, jeff who's more Talented Ozzie smith Or Eddie? Bedder is that an impossible? Question is that the dumbest question? Ever? Dan?
Speaker 2: YOU i remember our very first. Podcast you asked me who's The who's The Mike trout of the music?
Speaker 3: World?
Speaker 1: Right AND i Said Ed Sheeran and you acted LIKE i just insulted your, Mother AND.
Speaker 2: I, Said, DAD i know, music, Right Ed. Sheeron he.
Speaker 1: Writes and at the, time he you, know he's kind of on a hiatus right, now he's not, touring he's not making.
Speaker 2: Music but you got, All, heidi and you, said, no he's. Not AND i, said well then who is? It and you, SAID i don't?
Speaker 3: Know all, right all, RIGHT i don't know anything about, Music, Jeff BUT i. DID i didn't. Remember it's hard to compare That ed And Mike trout in his. PRIME i found that very. Interesting also born on this, Date, JEFF i love. This dennis Tankers lee pitching the major leagues for a few. Years so get, This. Jeff he won his first major league game and he's a, pitcher hit his first major league home run in the same. Game it was a really good hitting. Pitcher and get, this he never won another game and never hit another homer in his. Career, now he didn't pitch very. LONG i think his career record was one to. Ten that's hardly the. Point he had a day where he got his first major league, win hit his first major league, homer and before or after never won a game and never hit a. Homer pretty, weird, right.
Speaker 2: The best day of his, life never to be repeated.
Speaker 3: Again and sad, News. Jeff on this, date in nineteen, Ninety Tony knniglierio. Died you're way too young to understand What TONY. C was like in the. Sixties he hit a one hundred home runs by like age twenty two for The Red. Sox he was a. Star and then he got hit in the face by a pitch From Jack. Hamilton and he came back and he played, more but he couldn't see out of his front eye. Anymore and that's ultimately the reason that he had to, retire is he couldn't see out of his front. Eye and you, know my favorite story That i've ever written in my, Life, jeff is a story about fear of the. Ball because everyone has a fear of the, ball even big leaguers have a fear of the. Ball the differences they're courageous enough and disciplined enough to get through, it where the rest of us who get hit in the head say that that's enough of. That but in doing that, Story, Jeff i'll never. FORGET i talked To Ken, Harrelson Hawk, harrelson really good player in his, time led the league in RBIs one year and a, great, great great, broadcaster and he told me for that, story he, said the only player THAT i have ever met in my life who didn't have fear of the, ball it Was Tony knigliero and he got hit in the face and go look at the pictures of the black eye that he. Had oh my, god his face got. Destroyed and he came back from, that AND i think he hit like thirty six homers in a season for The, angels And Ken harrelson told me he hit a home run like every home runn he hit was on a ball up in the strike zone because he could see it with his back. Eye but when the ball was down with the front eye beach basically, blind he couldn't see. It so no matter what you hear About Tony, conigliaro what a great young hitter he, was you can multiply it by. Ten and that's how good he. Was and what a career that ended as quickly as it.
Speaker 1: Did you, Know, Dad we hear stories all the, time the players taking you, know. Grounders you Know Eduardo perez right had had vision. Problems the Late Ryan minor as, well who famously replaced Cal Ripken.
Speaker 2: Jr after his, long long.
Speaker 1: Streak and you Know Ryan minor may rest in peace was the manager of The Frederick keyes back WHEN i interned. There incredible was the first MANAGER i ever got to work. With when it came to being in minor league. Baseball but IT'S i think it's over or. Understated excuse me that when your eyes aren't, working a slight delay with a ball traveling that fast end's careers makes things. HARDER i, Mean eduardo has said it a number of. Times he just never was the player he thought he was going to.
Speaker 3: Be because couldn't.
Speaker 2: See it's really.
Speaker 3: Sad John lester was a terrible hitting, Pitcher jeff, terrible and then all of a sudden he started to get some. Hits SO i finally went to him and, Said, john like you had a major league, homer you've got a bunch of hits. Lately he, goes, WELL i could see, now he. SAID i didn't realize. IT i was at the plate AND i couldn't, see AND i got my eyes, CHECKED i got contact. LENSES i think it. Was and he became not a good hitting, pitcher but a way better hitting, pitcher but, better way, better and he actually put he actually did some things in a game after going like one for his first sixty three or something ridiculous like. That so, yeah eyes are really, important especially when it comes to trying to hit a baseball And.
Speaker 1: I'm sure every guy who Faced John lester when they heard that, said, wait you were throwing at me and you couldn't see? Me?
Speaker 3: Right he can, see, Oh, blake he just couldn't. See he can see the you can see the catcher's. Mid he just couldn't see the baseball when it was coming in at ninety five miles an. Hour, okay three cards in the, Bathroom. JEM i went down there this morning BEFORE i shoveled all. That, NOW i came up With Greg. Harris Greg harris covered him with The. Rangers Greg harris was the a switch. Pitcher he told me as a right handed, pitcher he, said you KNOW i could throw eighty miles an hour left, Handed AND i SAID i didn't know. That he started and right there in spring training he started throwing left handed at eighty miles an, hour and finally in nineteen ninety, five The expos let him pitch in a game right handed and left handed in the same. Inning it was amazing that he could do. That and he had this, Glove, Jeff it's like a you can move the glove around and make it a left hander's glove and a right hander's. Glove So Greg, harris one of the very few guys who pitched left handed and right handed in A Major league. Game number, Two Dave, kingman how about a flashback on him back when he Played jeff he struck out a, lot hit for a low, average hit a ton of. Homers he would be he would be an even better player today BECAUSE.
Speaker 2: I was going to say it sounds like he's playing in twenty, twenty, right.
Speaker 3: Right But Dave, kingman in nineteen eighty, Two jeff he led the league in home runs with thirty, seven and he batted two oh four that. Year and in nineteen eighty, Two Steve carlton won The National League Cy Young award and hit two. Eighteen so The Cy young winner had a higher batting average of that season than the home run champion from The National. League pretty, weird huh.
Speaker 1: That Net, well obviously will never happen again because our pitchers are no longer. Battered, however, WELL i mean there's Show, hey that's a different. Story but, yeah that's, Incredible AND i definitely Think Dave kingman could start on a major league team today and those stats would we wouldn't even be looking at him like they were in the.
Speaker 2: Eighties probably you probably were looking at that, saying what is. Happening you can't bat.
Speaker 1: Close to two hundred and hit that many. Homers now it happens all the, time, Right.
Speaker 3: That's the way it. Goes this one was a real surprise and a real pleasant surprise for, Me Tim. Jones Tim jones did not have a very long major league, career But i'll never forg Get. Jeff in nineteen ninety, FOUR i there was no there was No World series because the work, stoppage the strike ended The World. Series So Sports illustrated sent me to cover The TRIPLE A World series Between charlotte And. Richmond So i'm in The i'm in The Charlotte clubhouse And i'm walking through and since there are a bunch of minor, LEAGUERS i don't know a whole lot of, people BUT i walk past this room that is for players, only AND i look in there and they're playing That jeopardy is on the, television AND i just glanced and poetry was the Final jeopardy. Category and out of, nowhere this guy comes flying, out player, screaming putting his hands in the, air AND i looked At Tim, jones The Tim jones and, said did that guy just get the Final jeopardy answer correct in? Poet And Tim jones looked to Be what a great, guy he laughed out, loud and he, goes, no, no, no we're baseball. Players that's not how the game is. Played the way we play it is if you guessed the Final jeopardy, category you win. It so this guy, Said i'm guessing it's gonna be, poetry.
Speaker 2: And he was right and it.
Speaker 3: Was but he didn't know that no one could get a poetry, answer. Right oh my, gosh that is so. Great, Yeah Tim, jones three cards in the? Bathroom how about? That?
Speaker 1: DAD i love, it and we love this has become such a popular segment on the, show SO i hope we continue it through the regular. Season all, Right, dad let's wrap it with From burley To. Behemoth we're counting down the best players from fifty six to ninety, nine and today we're on number sixty, three.
Speaker 3: And there were actually some pretty good candidates. Here Raphael bettencourt had a pretty darn good career as a relief. Pitcher so Did Sean. Doolittle i'll get to him in a, minute But i'm gonna Go and this is very close, voting And i'm gonna go With ryan mattson number sixty, three who you, know did some pretty darn good, things mostly for The, Phillies So i'm gonna go with him as the greatest number sixty. Three Although Sean doolittle is one of my favorite, People jeff really smart uva. Guy we used to joke the one spring he was teammates with a picture Named Tony Sip, sipp so we used to joke, that you, Know sip and Do, Little we're on the same. Team so like sounds like a pretty good day to Be sip Do, little you. Know so That's Sean. Doolittle he's doing some really good things in baseball these days because he's wicked smart and people should listen to him because he has a lot to offer and in his, prime pretty darn good left handed. Reliever, well we.
Speaker 1: Are so excited for you to be along this journey for is this a great game or? What because come next, week we're gonna have a very exciting announcement for everybody who either has been with us since day one when we started the, show or today is day one with. Us nothing will change for all of you, Listening so don't worry about. That but it's exciting news that we're really ready to share with. Everybody it's something we've been keeping under wraps for a. Bit, Dad Bobby, valentine thank you for creating the rap because we've been keeping it under.
Speaker 2: Wraps right now.
Speaker 1: And next week we'll be able to tell everybody what's going on and what's been happening in the world of is this a great game or?
Speaker 2: What And, DAD i know we're gonna get more. Weather my phone is telling Me we've Got wednesday, Snow we've got weekend. Snow are you ready to keep?
Speaker 3: Shoving LIKE i, Said i'm going To arizona On, thursday so there will be no and it's supposed to be fifty degrees here On. WEDNESDAY i can't believe it's going to snow In. Philly MAYBE i read that.
Speaker 2: Wrong, Well, ma shed was supposed to get delivered. Today still not here.
Speaker 1: Obviously next date is This, wednesday and we're supposed to get.
Speaker 2: Snow probably not gonna get it.
Speaker 1: Then So, dad this shed has been for me going on a, month, right five weeks of waiting on. DELIVERY i JUST i just don't even feel like it's gonna. HAPPEN i already paid for, it sitting on a lot ten miles five miles from, here just waiting for it to come to my.
Speaker 3: Backyard how about shed, Long, Jeff shed lung back and basement on our all like structure team shed long and that really fits what you're waiting for a long time for the shed to show.
Speaker 1: Up speaking of, Waiting, uh probably hard to. See that's mom calling right, Now, Dad SO.
Speaker 2: I gotta go pick up your your. Wife my mother is, calling so let's wrap this right. Now it's a family, show isn't.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: DAD i don't know what she needs from, me But i'm gonna give her call, back SO i Don't.
Speaker 3: I'll talk to you next, Week. Jeff i'll talk to you before then talk to you, later, okay all, right.
Speaker 1: And thanks for, listening and it's always thanks for being a part of our.
Speaker 2: Family m