Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Boys.
Speaker 1: This is the Player's Lounge broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Barry Church, Anthony dor Set, the Montrey More and Newly Scruggs.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome back, baby, which is the Player's Lounge here at the w SWBC studios here.
Speaker 2: In Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 3: Of course, I'm here with my crew as always, the big Dog, the Monttree Moore.
Speaker 2: Texas A and M's very own.
Speaker 3: And we also got my brethren from Pittsburgh of course, Anthony door Set, and we also got the four is it fourteen times or maybe it's sixteen times, Emmy on War winning reporter Newie's Scrugs. He's out there boots on the ground at ox Star during training camp, so we'll get to hear all about how the Cowboys are doing out there well, and it's just me, it's just your favorite box safety, Miss Sherry turns out here.
Speaker 2: I'm doing the most. But today we.
Speaker 3: Got a new host in the chair, you know, and I'm gonna go ahead and throw the reins to the new host with them most you know here what it is, Anthony Dorset.
Speaker 4: You know what they say, the more you could do, man, you know what I'm saying, You just got to make yourself as value as possible, as valuable as possible. So you know, I got the call, say Neuie out there holding it down for us, So I'm gonna hold it down in here for.
Speaker 5: Him for us while we're doing it and how we're doing it. So big news though, brit News Tyler, Guidon Tyler.
Speaker 4: Right now, Dodg's a major bullet Doughty towards a cl before she for him.
Speaker 5: He got it. Well, it's a bone fracture, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So now we're looking at a situation where possibly he might actually be ready for the first game. I'm saying, if everything goes right with recovery, rehab and everything else like that.
Speaker 5: So uh, but do out the process of it.
Speaker 4: We got to move some dudes around, right, So right now they're gonna give that young boy, Nate Thomas, who is second round I'm sorry, second year player, seventh rounder, seventh round draft pick from last year.
Speaker 5: He's gonna get starting. Now what y'all think about that?
Speaker 3: All right, Well, you just said you out there knewing you and Ox now you you you boots on the ground right now, what are you hearing about? You know, Nate being the guy that's gonna step in for guiding as he deals with this injury. And what are people saying about the injury? Does he have a good chance of coming back for the game one, Well, let's tell you.
Speaker 6: The first the first game, that's like what you'd like to happen. But my gosh, think about it. You want your first game to do ahead Eagles?
Speaker 2: No, No, not with that past was the.
Speaker 6: Second week you got the Giants. I mean, hey, brother, e's all back into it because it's a long way. It's seventeen games. So that's my first thought. Right, So they just ram reps with the first team. So Thomas was out here at left tackle, and now they got Will Greer in here with the second team, and they got awesome Richards over here at left tackle. I was at the Brian Schottenheim profressor and he said, look, you know, we're gonna run run Thomas and Richards out here, and we're going to let these guys figure it out. They're going to compete. This is their opportunity. And so now Dak is back out here again with the starting offensive line unit here and right there, baby received, they got Thomas right here standing next to Tyler Smith. He's going to get his opportunity to see what happened here. But you guys know pre season is going, pre season games is going to be where we see it. But he's gonna get first cracking. I thought you can ask for was the opportunity. So I'll be baker to have a conversation with him after about you know, what he's his goals, what he's trying to do where he's comfortable at. And then of course thought to Tyler Smith because Tyler's really he's a good truth teller. Remember I talked to you guys before about when you talk to a guy, what did he say? What does he say? And I know how Tyler talks about guys. I'll be very eager to see what he's gleaning and seeing from Thomas here at this left tackle spot. But guys, I'm worried about it. You know I'm worried about it. We were talking before about guy and now Titan's co miss some time here and uh row.
Speaker 2: Are you question here from me?
Speaker 3: Are you surprised at all that they gave Thomas the nod to get with that first team as opposed to a guy like awesome Richards, who last year was able to fill in and I feel like he played, you know, pretty well when he when he filled in for you know, the tackles last season. Are you surprised that Thomas got the nod to go with the first team or is this just a thing where a you know, one day it's gonna be Thomas, one day it might be Richards.
Speaker 2: They just kind of a revolving door.
Speaker 6: So I'm gonna believe Shotty at his work where he talks about competition and and you know, he learned that under Pete care If you ever had Pete Cherroll's book, it's called Winning Win Forever, and so a lot of that if you ever read that book, a lot of what Pete does his philosophy, you see him run. So it's camp. We'll see, that's why you throw them out here. Was I surprised? Yeah, here's the thing, and you you guys know this better than I and I've over the years I've had to learn there are things that go on in these rooms that we in the media don't see and guys there see they know. So a new offensive line coach, new coaching staff, new offensive coordinator, who's got an offensive line back. Somewhere along the way, they've seen something that they like from this kid they drafted who didn't play last year. They say, we want to see more. Let's get him out here and throw them in the deep water. See how he starts swimming. Oh wait, I just saw a swing passing my boy el boogie.
Speaker 2: He got a swing past the l boogie. Man, we can't even go there.
Speaker 6: All right, man, he gonna make the team, Just so you know, Hunter List, he's gonna make past out here to the fall back. Yeah, yes, I call that.
Speaker 7: We already talked about that. The HPAC position is going to be there. But back to the whole gu situation one. I love the segments that you gave us Nui as far as talking about that, but I do want to echo something that he said, just like we know as players, there's always that one guy on the roster where you're like, yo, that next year he's going to be that guy, or like if he just had an opportunity but they never really gave it to him. So I think that speaks volumes to him being there on him not playing.
Speaker 8: So I do want to see that with Tom.
Speaker 7: But what I do want to ask you Knuie and switch it up a little bit because we've been talking about the old lineman and me as a d line and I feel some type of way, let's get back to this Mazi thing. We've been talking about Mazi so much. Everybody's been talking about his body's chained. He's coming in here. You have Matt Eberflus with this fourth through wide defense. Now that we have boots on the ground, how's it looking? Because on the internet, from the cuts that we've seen, no shade on him. You know, it's like the coaches used to always say, it's never as bad and it's never as good. But the one cliff, the cliffs that the few clips we've seen, we seen them getting thrown out the cliffs.
Speaker 2: No white tea, no white teas is down there?
Speaker 8: Is he looking dominant? Like? What like? Give the fans something hopeful? Like what is it like?
Speaker 7: Tell us the whole story about Mazi now that you're there and you see him living person.
Speaker 6: Okay, so they are not hitting today, Uh they are, They're they're in there. You know in their shells.
Speaker 8: What he said we.
Speaker 6: Shotty told me. He said, were gon hit tomorrow?
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, I got I.
Speaker 6: Got called out at the press conference where you're talking. Where are you being?
Speaker 8: Hey, everybody want to know where the Emmy? A war wouldn't have been the show.
Speaker 6: Don start till you get there, newly, I said. I said, I was the one wait till you started hitting. And he's like, well, we're not hitting. We don't hit the day and we don't hit the ball. So I got nothing for you on money. Okay, I got nothing for your Mazi, but I know tomorrow when they start hitting. Because when asked about our practices maybe to physically to ease up on it, he was like, no, no, we're going to have physical chance. And he also went on to say this is football, guys, and you all you three know from playing that there's nothing you can do that makes that makes.
Speaker 7: You can't simulate those those game those game reps, like no matter how much you practice, no matter how you how much you're working during the off season, even when you're going through the shelves, it's hard to get an accurate reading. So I echo those same sentiments that you're saying, and I love the way that you switch that, because we definitely were going to ask that. I don't know if we're going to do it before the break, but we definitely wanted to ask about the physicality part of it because you have three different generations right here. You have me, who's the younger guy out of them. You have Burrier this before me, and then you got the great a d over here that's seen the old school two of days where we're talking about. Really you have three practices that long, rigorous one from the mental and then the two physical ones. So with that being said, we actually wanted to ask you with all these injuries, like what is it about the physicality physicality about practice?
Speaker 8: Is it too physical?
Speaker 7: And then like you said, you already answered it. Shotty said, we're not backing up. We're bringing this. So him bringing that competitive edge and nature I really love. But what are you saying in the physicality is a practice?
Speaker 6: You gotta have a philosophy, yes, And I think what you have to do is stick with whatever the philosophy is. So if you say you're gonna be physical, then you got to go because if somebody gets hurt while you're doing it. It is what it is. Parcels operated that way when he was here training camp, and I agree with because what you've got to do and you guys played as well. Be consistent. Yes, so sit up here, tell me one thing, and well we saw two those things happen and two practices, So now we're about to abandon everything. He can't do it. This is what it is the NFL. Next man up. At some point in time over seventeen games, we know dude's gonna get hurt. Man, And so it stinks that you saw too offensive lineman who's been running with the first team go down, but it.
Speaker 4: Is what it Yeah, now we're looking at what You can't really move guys around because you want to get the best five guys out there. And as you guys have been talking about, this is going to be such.
Speaker 5: A run heavy offense.
Speaker 4: So you don't want to take a guard and move him outside to tackle. You don't want to take a tackle moviem inside. You want to try to find that nucleus of the five best guys that you can get out there.
Speaker 5: So, just like you said, they're gonna have to figure it out.
Speaker 7: And I love the fact that we're not going to play musical chairs with guys. But actually, I lie. I don't love the fact that we're not going to play musical chairs. If anything, I felt like this is the time to play musical chairs with an injury seeing what we got, because training camp is a good for the bullets don't count right now, like we're doing dry fires. But with us doing dry fires, I love what Nui said. As far as Shoddy said it, he told y'all, I'm not caring with the fans say, I'm not about to back off of it because I've been fortunate enough being a journeyman going on nine different teams. I've been around those guys that say, hey, we believe in our philosophy and we're going to keep working it until it starts hitting, because this.
Speaker 8: Is what got us here.
Speaker 7: But I've also seen some guys that haven't been so sure. And I know in recent past history with the Cowboys, especially with our media being the America's team, every time that Americas start echoing something, oh, we need to do this, we need to do that, I feel like the coach gets away from that, and right now Shoddy is shown y'all, I don't care what the injury is not being there. I don't care what the starter's not being here. We're still going to practice hard at whoever survives, those are going to be my tough dogs and be out there.
Speaker 8: So I love this philosophy.
Speaker 3: All right, so far, well new we You know, we talked about the trenches and you know they're not in past and not popping out.
Speaker 2: There anything like that. So all right, we get that.
Speaker 3: Let me talk to more about the skill position on the outside. What have you seen since you know you've been down there in Oxnar. What has Dak Prescott and his connection with CD Lamb or his connection with his new weapon George Pickens and the newly signed, the newly signed big money target out there at tight end? What have you seen from this passing attack and the timing with those individuals with Dak Prescott.
Speaker 6: Okay, so yesterday they didn't practice, so there was no practice yesterday and they just started now, so I'm just starting to see glimpses. They went through the drills with the three quarterbacks and working on end zone routes here and you know, picking Lamb snack balls. I'll tell you a guy who snacked the ball and I was like oh okay, okay. Uh the boy they traded for from Carolina Ingo Mingo, Yes, yes, yes, yes, well boy shopped the Mingo Mingo. I'm like, oh okay. Tolbert had a nice little pass in the end zone. So so once again, man, dudes are in shells, you know, ain't no DB's covering them. So they're looking good. That's why tomorrow for me, tomorrow is going to be one more test because now we're going to have guys and you understand it from playing now we've seen people go down and get hurt. Yeah, now we know it's going to be physical and that Shoddy is going to go by what he says in terms of we are going to compete. So let's see what a guy like me. Now that I'm here, I'm like, okay, what is Mingo doing. Pickens clearly is going down the road of what they want him to be. But seventeen games, you're going to meet a Mingo jef up. Oh yeah, man shot shot. He had praise for Tobert, by the way to that at the press conference, he had praise for him. He likes what he's doing. But Mingo's gonna be a guy, and I think he's in the perfect spot because of Pickens, we've almost forgotten about it that he can operate underneath, and that is where I think he has an opportunity to show us something because if he has to get called in the duty, let's see what he can do. Because at some point times you guys played no your number gonna get called?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: And even thinking about Shoty's time back to New York when you're talking about him, I'm glad you brought that up because with these most powerful offense guys, y'all think about it.
Speaker 8: When he was in Seattle, you had.
Speaker 7: A guy like Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett that were your one two punches, and then you have coming up Javon k. People don't realize that he was that unsung hero where it's like, oh, you focused on him.
Speaker 8: So I'm glad to hear that we have that three man going.
Speaker 7: But I'm gonna stay right there on the offensive side, because you know you can't see defense right now with everything that's going. But Nuly, I know you can't say too much because you haven't seen that much of practice.
Speaker 8: But I want you to think about this, and.
Speaker 7: If you don't have an answer, directly for me right now, be ready for it on Friday. But we talked about receivers, we talked about the tight ends, we talked about the old lineman. Let's get back to this running back talk. Man, I need to know who's out there, who's starting, Who's number one?
Speaker 8: Number two? Are there clear cut like?
Speaker 7: Because I think that's gonna be the X factor that takes our offense onto the top. So who's your guy and running back? Who's leading it? And is it going to be a Superman situation? And then you have a lesser hero that's over there a are you gonna have like Batman and Superman? Like a one to two punch combo that we have in Cdee Lamb and George Pickens.
Speaker 6: Go back to what I talked about. You know what questions people are asking and what is the coach saying. There was not one question asked today from the media about a running back, not one, not one, not one man not What the most we got was tripping getting some handoff and how shotty were you?
Speaker 7: And hey, knew it, I know, I know you about to give us a break since we didn't have no details and nobody talked about the running backs and you're going to be the first one that give us that great insight on that running back.
Speaker 8: Can you save that.
Speaker 7: For us when we come back out the break, because they're giving us that a whole long way.
Speaker 6: Keys the keys we come back.
Speaker 5: To keep us in.
Speaker 4: Line now, So hold tight with us while we pay some bills that the players a lounge and brought to you by and presented by aristocat Gaming right here out in.
Speaker 5: Frisco at the start.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, hey there, Cowboys Nation, Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off. The Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys demed casino games developed by Aristocrat, a PROWN sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred Gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one.
Speaker 10: Over Life is a workout, and Smoothie King is here to help you power through.
Speaker 2: Whether you're maxing out.
Speaker 10: Overhead presses, push them through chest flies or being the hero your golden retriever needs to carry them over that scary bridge. Smoothie King has the fuel to help you go all out, build muscle and boost your recovery with forty five grams of protein, zero grams of added sugar, and delicious customizable ingredients and the Gladiator Smoothie available in chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla only at Smoothie Kit.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black and right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liptball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the.
Speaker 5: Code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 11: Crownroyal and the Dallas Cowboys are bringing back the Royal Rig for season two. See it in action at at and T Stadium on Thanksgiving Day, where the Dallas Cowboys take on the Kansas City Chiefs and around Dallas on November twenty sixth and November twenty eighth. Visit Crownrooyal dot com to see where else the Royal rig is stopping this NFL season.
Speaker 8: That's Crownrooyal dot com.
Speaker 11: Please drink responsibly to the players, lone.
Speaker 4: DC studios out here, frisk, go ahead to the star. Got your boy Anthony Doors set with Jamar Chay Moore and Barry Church. And we're being joined on the line by Newie Scruggs holding it down out there at camp for us.
Speaker 8: Yes, sir.
Speaker 7: And before we get to that, let me give you one quick read. This summer Step onto the Field with Dallas Cowboys Football and Dance Camp presented to you by a visit line. Athletes of all skill levels ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from former NFL players and the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders at the Ford Center at the start of the Fort scow Campers have the chance to learn technic, technical skills and lessons on teamwork. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash camp to learn more. Let's get to it, Knwie what it do Reporting from Oxnard.
Speaker 6: Yo, yo, yo, Okay, So Shoty just called them all right up here in the huddle. Yeah, and uh he's getting out instructions about what it is you want from guys here. So we're about to see some eleven on eleven excuse that passing big secrets here, okay, and uh so we to see what they're gonna do already as I'm looking here at the first team, they're going with Thomas again here at let's tackle, so they wait on the instructions you're shitty about. I'm sure let's not get too hot tempered here. Let's let's keep everybody up right. You know, the rules of the gate.
Speaker 5: Being pro got to.
Speaker 7: Talk to your war dogs and tell them, hey, coming, I know y'all, I know y'all getting all worked up.
Speaker 8: And stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Everything up top.
Speaker 7: Remember, guys, tomorrow's past saving for there. We don't want to see no heroes today, So I understand.
Speaker 8: It all right.
Speaker 3: So before we let you slide down, neuie, what what are you looking forward to seeing out of these next couple of drills, whether it's eleven on eleven, seven on seven, what are you looking forward to seeing as this practice unfolds all right.
Speaker 6: So they're start right here on the fifteen and so they're going in there. They're working on the goal line here, they got Ferguson in motion. Dack's dropping back here's looking toward the left, makes the pass right here, and he hits big money.
Speaker 2: Fer oh, big money goes into the end zone.
Speaker 6: But he was stopped before more hands. So now it's gonna be second down. So that's the Chris pass right there, looking over here at Thomas. No issues at all. By the way, this kid, uh Peyton Turner is tall. Okay, this dude is long, all right. He's starting at defensive defensive end right now. So that's fort Elim starting out here. ELM's one on one with Pickens right here at the end zone. Dak dropping back to pass, goes right over the middle and it is picked off blight mar Sean Kneeland stepped in front.
Speaker 2: Sean Kneeland at the defensive line position.
Speaker 6: With the pick at the ten yard line. The curry of offense, Dak Prescott has picking one on one with Elim out to the right. He stepped back. He's calling an audible right now, scanning the field, waiting on the snap here it goes, and it's an inside run, man, And we got us a fight. We got us a fight, yes as a rock.
Speaker 5: And who who else?
Speaker 8: Who throwing the fisty cuffs?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah? Perkison went out said big money had understanding. Rook. You can't mess with the dogs like that, messing the dog team like that. So they broke it up. They broke it up. Not a prominent I'm looking at Chris Bean right now, by the way, guys beams out here kicking everything done all right here they are now they are at the five yard line. Dak Prescott rolling out, try to find a man and he throws it in the jerkers and it fits the pressures right there as he was looking towards litty litty cover book covers right there.
Speaker 5: Hey man, this sounds like a defensive drill right here.
Speaker 6: That's going that's top yard line. Hurry up, offense. Dak Prescott under center, he's looking sowing to the corner of fade right there and at the seade Lamb touchdown tack.
Speaker 2: Looks like they're going back and forth out there. That's what we love to see out in camp.
Speaker 6: Jack hurrying up the unit one more time. Looks like the ball is at.
Speaker 7: The I think I think, I think one in a half yard line, trying to show us the second part of the field. Guys, we might have to go ahead and break this off and let him.
Speaker 6: Get to it so we can have the defense in here. Right now. You got saying Williams Solomon Thomas up here on the defensive line as a rocker on the other side of the defensive end, ninety seven in the middle. There, Jack Prescott still at quarterback, Miles Sanders in the backfield, got a bunch set over here to the right, there's Ferguson next to the tight end. You've got Tobered in the slot with Ceede Lamb one on one with E. Look now they put him in motion to the other side and Jack goes right back into the end zone. He find George Pickings for the touchdown.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 6: That's an offense looking good right now. On these last two plays for the defense, morning hell, they're on with a Marshawn Kneeling interception in this one, and we got Ferguson as a Rocco having a little uh touch and go here. So the first team unit is off for the offense. Now they've got Joe Milton back here starting the ball on the fifteen yard line here as they're working on red zone drills right here.
Speaker 2: Fellas, all right, dude, appreciate the grounds on the booths.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: We're gonna let you go. We're gonna let you.
Speaker 3: Get your evaluation on of this team, of the first and second team, and we'll hoighland you Friday with an update on how these guys have been doing out there. I'm interested to see how the trenches fair and how Dak Prescott in his communication with these outside receivers will look.
Speaker 2: We'll holll at you back on Friday, all right, pick dogs.
Speaker 6: All right, fellas, all right, all right, land hey man, So.
Speaker 4: Hearing all that and seeing that they just scored, you know, two different plays. But we also got to talk about that interception now, and that leads me into the whole thing about signing new dude in the secondary. Yes, r Les Tos just signed I believe what's his name, Christian Matthew.
Speaker 5: You said he was in Arizona.
Speaker 3: Former seventh round draft pick twenty twenty two from Arizona. Yeah, it looks like the Cowboys had just signed him after working him out after Kaitlin Carson had went down with an injury, and you hate to see that, you know, because Carson was a guy that came along last year when injuries kind of reared their ugly head once again. With Diggs, he was able to fill in. And you know, he got hurt a little bit last year as well.
Speaker 2: I believe he missed six or seven games last year as well.
Speaker 3: But this is a guy that the Cowboys have have high hopes on as a guy that can fill in him kind of be that third corner once everybody's healthy, once Diggs is there, once bland is there, Carson can kind of be that third guy. That's what they're looking toward to see him. But with that hyper extended knee, you know, wordland Street is that he's gonna miss a you know, maybe a month, maybe even more than that. So he's on that same kind of timeline as guiding This should be back for the first game, but we shall see. But fellas, when we talk about this and the depth at the cornerback position, won I want to see you know, you got thoughts on how that affects the room as a whole. Seeing is that it's a thin room as is with you know, with Josh Butler and Diggs being on pup so it's thin as is, but also when you were a young guy like that, he's only in his second year, I believe you're gonna miss a lot.
Speaker 2: Of camp, a lot of reps.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're gonna go into the regular season, you can, You're gonna be fresh, but you're also gonna be like, man, you know, new defensive system. You know, how does that affect the secondary as a whole in the depth there?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's got to be a huge loss for the boys, you know.
Speaker 4: I learned early on in my rookie year. Unfortunately I sustained the injury in my rookie year. It wasn't during camp, it was actually during the season, and it was like right around the time I was actually gonna get one of my first starts that year and get hurt in the game and had to sit there throughout those weeks while I was actually trying to get back and watch dudes come in every Tuesday, every Monday, working out to take my job flat out. That's all it is, you know what I'm saying. So in that frame of mind, being a young guy or just a first year dude on the team as on top of that as well, Oh man, the stress level is on one hundred and fifty all right, and then you're dealing with the injury. You already want to make sure that you hopefully have a possibility of making the team, you know what I mean. So with the secondary being so thin right now, it's going to be a lot of transition like this, Like I'm sure Christian Matthew won't be the last guy to get signed before training camp is over.
Speaker 7: Man, And I can't speak on it from the secondary perspective, but I can't speak on it from the journeyman's perspective. Like going in there being a third round pick. I didn't have to worry about that earlier in my career going into training camp, like I was like, oh man, this is football, the hard parts over it. You're doing with the combine and stuff like that, And shout out to my boy Charles.
Speaker 8: James that played had a long tenure career.
Speaker 7: Charles was undrafted and so literally every Tuesday, Charles used to be in their first one in there telling me, hey, did you see this guy working out ad because you know we just had three dns try out. Oh I'm not worried about that, bro, I'm kicking it with the vests, doing this and then. And it wasn't until later on in my career when I was a cussing the bubble guy that I started playing attention to that. Not only am I paying attention to the guys that's coming in on Tuesday there's practicing here, I'm also paying attention to this waiver wire who's practicing somewhere else, who got released over there, because there might be somebody that is a proven veteran that gets released over there and like you said, a dB go down right now, then you bring him in and now he gets seniority over you. So to have that in the back of your mind, it's a tough feeling because you're wondering, like, hey, when I do get want to come back, is there going to be an opportunity for me, Because some of these guys come back with opportunities. Everybody's not a tray Varon Diggs or Michael Parson who says, hey, this is going to be entitled to you. So my question is more so, like, I know this guy got hurt. I know we were expecting him to either be starting or be our number three guy, but in a secondary that is already injured, that's not really proven like that, has he done enough to really earn a spot because if one of these young guys come in keep making plays, Elon gets out there whenever you do get the draft pick back that that's coming off the puppet, Like some of those spots are already guaranteed. So my question is, hey, man, you can't make the team in the Kolto.
Speaker 8: So how solidified is he?
Speaker 7: Is he solidified enough to say like, hey, I don't have to be here for preseason.
Speaker 3: I would have say I would say in any other any other year, any other season, let's just say you know, Digs is healthy, Butler's healthy, Bland and everybody's rolling. Then I say, a young fella, you better get back out there because it is about to get real. But when you look at this secondary as a whole, it's so thin right now. I mean when you look at it and unproven. There's only three three starters out there right now. You got Bland, who's coming off of an injury from last year, and then you got the two safeties all right, you got you got Donovan out there, and then you got Malik Hooker.
Speaker 2: He got those guys out there.
Speaker 3: So those are only three solidified starters that are actually out there rolling right now. I know when Daz gets back and healthy, and from the film we can see of him out at training camp, he looks like he's moving well.
Speaker 2: So maybe that time spent in Miami was just about it. I don't know. We will see when he gets back.
Speaker 3: But when you look at it as a whole, any other year, I would say, young fella, get back. But to me right now, I'm like, look, man, you gotta.
Speaker 2: Get healthy first.
Speaker 3: You gotta get healthy first, because you don't want to go out there and put bad tape out there.
Speaker 2: You just don't want to.
Speaker 3: Do it or give guys an opportunity to say, hey man, maybe you know, maybe this guy doesn't have it. Maybe doesn't have it, So we will see, you know, what he has coming back when he gets back from this injury. But as I want you to speak on this a little bit too, AD is how how does this unit geil? And do you can tell you can speak on it as well being a part of a D line unit, But how does this unit jail when only three the guys that are projected starters are playing throughout the entire camp.
Speaker 4: You know, for me, it goes to say, like when you're developing identity, Yeah right, you know what I'm saying. So the whole defense is developing identity right now. But there's going to be identity in each room, you know what I'm saying. So whoever that leader is going to be, and we talked about, you know, the veteran leadership and the older guys being in that room, and so you have to like basically be able to say, Okay, this is the type of defense we're going to play, this is type of secondary we're going to be.
Speaker 5: We're gonna hold each other.
Speaker 4: Accountable to these standards, regardless of who's out there. And so that way, when that next man comes around, or that person gets healthy, or whoever size that comes in, this is what we're looking for from you, and this is what it's expected from you. And there's no other way to do that but to hold everybody accountable day by day.
Speaker 8: And I think not just only holding it accountable.
Speaker 7: From a D line's perspective, you know how it is like it becomes war of two teams offense, one time defense one time during training camp, Well, this is where the vets get the chance to know of the younger guys. I made the joke or I made the reference earlier that Shotty comes from Pete Carroll, a competition breeding coach. So with him bringing in that competition, you're gonna know, Hey, this young guy, he got some snap to him. Now does he actually have skill to him? Hey, I want to see what this guy guy. Everybody y'all know is veteran. We all find that one young rookie that wed naturally get attached to that.
Speaker 8: We want them to get the opportunity, want them to embrace it.
Speaker 7: So when you say how do they jail, Well, they're already jailing right now. They're jaeling with doing trash can basketball. They're jailing with doing four square, they're jeling with making the rookie you go get the snack? Who got my snacks? Okay, you can follow directions that follow all this to the t because some of that list is ridiculous. But if you can do that, something is simple and meticulous. And think about that right now during training camp. Football is gonna come with it, But it's about building that trust off the field to where you say, when somebody gets hurt, you got a veteran over.
Speaker 8: There, like Barry Church. Hey, coach, throw young Buck over there. Man.
Speaker 7: He's a good rookie, he's dependable, he does everything for us, and he's in our playbook. That's where the jail is gonna come. Not so much on the field, like you're gonna jail with players and stuff like that, but get that extra cohesives what they say, that extra.
Speaker 8: Sprinkling stuff right there.
Speaker 7: So that's how I think that they're gonna jail, or at least from the D line where we used to be back and say, hey, we got some.
Speaker 8: Dogs back there. We're ready to hunt.
Speaker 7: He's doing all this, but not only is he doing this, you have that young guy because your secondary is just as smart as your linebacker. Your secondary needs to know what the D lineman so they can say, hey, allways, gonna come out quick so we can catch this pick. And when you got a young guy coming over there saying, hey, d more, when you blitz coming outside in, are you gonna take two steps up and then do that? Well, okay, if you hold them just a little bit here, I'm gonna do that. And that lets me know, like, oh snap, he's been thinking and doing his stuff. So that's how all that cohesis and is about to happen right now.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, like AD said, man, we're gonna have to pay some bills. I mean, because I ain't saying I ain't come out of pockets for this. So we're gonna, I don't know, just like I got get on. So we're gonna have to pay some bills.
Speaker 3: But when we get back, man, I want to talk to you about the difference between because we've been in all of them, and we've been in all types of camps, the hardcore, physical, just dirty camps versus the more the more player friendly camp. And we tapped into a little bit in segment one, but Louis, but I want to hear your thoughts on that. Once again, ladies and gentlemen, this is the Players Viounes, brought to you by a Risk of Crack Gaming here at the SWBC Studio and Frisco.
Speaker 2: We'll see you on the way back.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen in off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of.
Speaker 9: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 12: Raising Canes presents the other rules of football. Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of cook to Order Cane's Chicken Fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve, no crinkle cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of Caines when it comes to winning game day. Canes Rules. Raising Canes Chicken Fingers one Love Go Cowboys.
Speaker 13: Returning for the twenty twenty five NFL season, Boss reunites with the Dallas Cowboys and Micah Parsons to up the next chapter of their iconic collaboration. The Boss Cowboys collection fuses fashion and football, once again, capturing the fearless spirit of what it means to be your own Boss just in time for kickoff. Gear up in standout styles that show your team pride with a bold edge. Available now at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo, Boss Hugo Boss dot com and Boss retail stores. Hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 9: Hey there, Cowboys Nation, Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino games developed by Aristocrat, a proud sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Gambling Problem.
Speaker 9: Please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one Over to the Players Loud.
Speaker 7: The official twenty twenty five dollars Cowboys Star Magazine Training Camp Preview is now available. You heard me, not yesterday, not tomorrow, but right now it is available.
Speaker 8: This year's edition features scouting.
Speaker 7: Reports, position analysts, and that pull out schedule posters and articles from your favorite Cowboys writer. Yes, your favorite Cowboys writer like Newie. Yes, it's the training camp. To get your preview today at your local pro shop or go to Dallascowboys dot com slash the Star. Hey, I'm gonna pass it over to my dog a d.
Speaker 4: It's the Players, Loundes, Welcome back to the players downs at the SWVC studios at podcast studio out here in Frisco. You got your boy Anthony dor Sat, we got Big Trade Moore Man, Barry Church just hold it down out there and Ox Starr from the training camp. All right, fellas, so let's let's talk about this a little bit. It's been talked about, It's been mentioned by several people. Coach Coach Shotty said it before, and we just basically running with what he said. It's gonna be a physical camp, all right. You're seeing the injuries on the O line and other places and everything else like that. So I've been a part of physical camps. I've been a part of camp set where I guess you could say I've never had a light camp. Under Jeff Fisher, we hit all the time, right And then a quick story going into my free agent year, I was visiting teams and everything else like that, and so of course you call around. You want to try to find out how the team is run from the inside. So one of the Dolphins was a team that I was actually interested in. Me and Dave want said, coach Wantsatt shout out to coach Wantsat used to call me at the house at ten o'clock at night and just want to know what you're thinking. Well, how I got to my thought process was I made some phone calls, called Zak Thomas, Hall of Famer, called Sam Madison, a few other dudes I knew on the team, just to try to find out, like what's going on out there. And from the guys on the team, they was like, hey, don't do it.
Speaker 2: You don't want no part, don't want no part.
Speaker 4: There was letting you know from the inside like hey, we do it, but we don't even want to do it like this.
Speaker 5: It's a little bit too extreme, you know.
Speaker 4: And so guys, we know, you know like this, this this thing is about adding longevity onto our careers, not cutting them short, you know what I mean. So anytime that you actually get a chance to save yourself a little bit, and that's also called making a business decision, to a certain extent, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: You got to be smart with it, you know. And so how do you feel about that?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 3: When I when I you know, going through my teamure in the National Football League, like I said, I've been a part of all I've been a part of, you know, the way phillips out out of the way where you know it was a player friendly camp. I'm talking about, Hey, you know what, guys, just sweating a little bit too much.
Speaker 2: Take the pads off. Just take the pads off.
Speaker 3: We're gonna walk through this next segment, which I loved personally, and I'm sure everybody on that team loved his mindset going into camp and high it was more player friendly and longevity and all that.
Speaker 2: But unfortunately with.
Speaker 3: Those camps I was part of, you know, the worst teams I've been a part of as far as record wise, and then I've been in camps we're kind of they're in between the Jason Garrett camps where man, you had stretches where it.
Speaker 2: Was like, man, we got pads again. You know, we got pads again. Now we just did it. We got pads again.
Speaker 8: And what's the schedule? Looking life, you.
Speaker 5: Already know what it is.
Speaker 3: And I said, I've been a part of that where he was kind of in the middle, like you had your hard stretches, but then you also had those stretches where you know he took care of you. You know, let's let's go all go to the movies after this, let's go, you know, hang out at the beach for a little bit.
Speaker 2: And those teams, I would say had mixed results. You know, they were something was.
Speaker 3: Good, you know seasons and other seasons we were you know, eight and eight and didn't make the playoffs. But then when you talk about just pads hitting Florida Sun, just man losing twenty.
Speaker 2: Pounds, and that's the Jacksonville camps, all right.
Speaker 3: And those were under Doug Maroon where he didn't believe in in no pads, Like if we're on a football field, you got to have some type of pads on.
Speaker 8: But enough money to keep you cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know they did have that. But we were out there.
Speaker 3: We was banging every day, and I'm like, man, we need a break. I mean, I'm already in year eight at this point and I'm like, man, we was going on. But that's a team that I went furthest with. We went to the AFC championship. We were durable out there. So to me, you know, it's all results and it comes down to the team as a whole. But if you're asking me personally, man, I go with them way Phillips camps each and every day.
Speaker 8: Of course you go.
Speaker 7: Like, you don't what they say, you don't know what you got it till you got it. Like being a rookie coming in from college and doing all those hard training camps and stuff like that, you work harder when it's easy.
Speaker 8: When you get there, you're like, hey, this ain't that. It's bad. I walked.
Speaker 7: I remember going in. Tom Coughlan was my head coach, So you know we're gonna go. We're gonna hit the grind five minutes early. You better coffin. Time will get you. And he believed in hitting. He believed like, how do you get used, How do you get comfortable? And the only way you get comfortable is being there in your pads. So what having guys like that, Having guys like Pete Carroll, who was definitely player friendly but also in those same regards as being player friendly. He sat there and said, hey, we're gonna take the pads off this period. But when we put the pads on. It was a certain standard that was already established by leader Bobby Wadninger was coming down there saying, hey, they don't get nothing. You got Richard Sherman over there at corner and saying, don't nobody catch nothing. Then you got big Bam Bamd Cam Chancellor back there saying, hey, it's lockdown and you're out there.
Speaker 8: The players put the own inticity on it to where Pete had to say, hey, I got too many dogs. Let me protect y'all from y'allself.
Speaker 7: And so getting back to it not being too long winded, I've been in power the hard camps, long camp, easy camps, player camps. I think it more so gets to what type of team do you have. Do you have a young team or do you have an older team?
Speaker 8: Because those older.
Speaker 7: Veteran teams, like you said, I could take away Phillis Campbell. Guess what, because you've been in the league and you've been able.
Speaker 5: To stitit there, Like if you're young, you can't.
Speaker 7: It's like giving a young guy when you first get older and you get to college and you ain't got no curfew and this and that, and like you give that person that responsibility. Can they handle this responsibility? And if you can handle that responsibility, definitely have that. But with having a young team, guys that aren't proven, some of y'all guys are gonna have to realize that it comes down there and we got a bang on top of that. I don't want the first time me being improven vet. I don't want my first time of us getting the chance to go to war is during the season, because I don't know if you got my back and we out here fighting in the fight. I know who I'm scrapping with, so norm with who I'm scrapping with. I believe you need to have the right amount of hitting, but it also depends on your team. So right now, with Shoddy and what he's doing, being around the lineage of coaches and the plethora of knowledge he has, I trust him in the way that he's gonna do that because he's seen the old school era, he's seen the player friendly era with Pete Carroll, and now that he's doing it his way, let's let him ride out his way. And I think with an unproven team like this, you're gonna have to bang. So don't be scared.
Speaker 3: You got to You got to hit this way because when when you look at it, there's too many guys that are.
Speaker 2: Gonna be first year starters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you you gotta understand it because like when you go out there, you're gonna have guys in this system at the second level, linebacker level that haven't haven't played together at all. I mean, you got you got morris Leyafou he's a second year player, but he's gonna be tagged with you know, maybe Kenneth Murray, whos just came here, you know, be a free agency You gotta we just talked about the secondary jelling as you didn't how they got to know each others, strengthen weaknesses, and of course the offensive line. I mean we got to see where they all fit. So how much on that one man? You gotta understand it.
Speaker 4: I will say this, and one thing that is not talked about enough and and tackling is actually an art.
Speaker 5: It is and so and so going back to what you.
Speaker 4: Said a little bit ago, as far as when you're in those camps or you're in those practices and you're not physical, and then of course when the game time comes, it's physical. To the umpteenth in the hundred level and so like, if you're actually not practicing tackling and getting your fits, then it always shows up on game time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, So you're.
Speaker 5: Going to just like you guys said, you're going to have to get some banging in there.
Speaker 7: So that leads me to my next question, which is our last question before we break out this show. With the physicality that we have that's going on in the dynamics, we see injuries, we see opportunities that are coming up. Who I know, we say every game, if it's changed, let us know who is the guy that you're most excited to see and hear about now that this opportunity is going to be there with this physicality of camp.
Speaker 8: And have your guy in mind.
Speaker 7: So when we ask newly on Friday, so who's that guy for you in training camp?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well for me right now, I'm gonna stick to the run game. Because we've heard so much about every other position from injuries to guys getting signed and everything else like that, there has not been that one key running back that I've heard about stand up, I mean. And so for me growing up as a Cowboy fan, just Cowboys tradition, there's always been some great running backs.
Speaker 2: Here INMS Smith Mark Barber list goes old to those.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So for me, Cowboys has always been synonymous with a good running game. So I'm interested to find out who's going to be that main running back.
Speaker 2: Who's going to be a building for me.
Speaker 3: You know, we talked about it a lot earlier, and when you talk about Mozzie Smith and what he can do to defend the run game, and hopefully he's able to step that up. So I'm not gonna get too much on Mazzie Smith, but my guy to look forward to this preseason has got to be two guys, and those are both.
Speaker 2: Of the linebackers.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about the young Morris lea Files second year player linebackers. I believe he was drafted in the fifth or sixth round LABS year. And a guy we got in free agency Murray, who's you know, Kenneth Murray. He's also been around the league. I believe this is year eight or nine for him. Big long rangey guy, fast speed, everything that Iberfus loves in his second unit.
Speaker 2: But those guys are gonna have to be the quarterbacks of the defense.
Speaker 3: We all understand when it comes to Eberflus's defense, you got to have that second level guy that can make sure he can communicate to the front level and the back level and pretty much run his defense. So I want to see what those two guys got throughout camp in the preseason.
Speaker 2: But it should be interesting to watch for me.
Speaker 7: My two guys are gonna be h the second round pick help me.
Speaker 2: Out as Araku as Araku, let me.
Speaker 8: Not mess that up.
Speaker 7: As Newly, what's to say if he was here, he probably threw up his Q dog hooks, but it would be as a Roku and Pace Turner, the guy that he just said for me being a D lineman playing in Eberflu from my tenure not only just here at the Cowboys, but also at the coach I was with him, everything is driven off of the D lineman. I know people say, hey, Leonard Shaq Lennard got the credit when he was over there. You had Sean Lee getting the credit over here, But it always starts with the front rod many Nelly had the defensive line penetrating, and so yes, we know who we have and Michael Parson and he's going to be a top defensive lineman. Who's going to be the other guy over there that's going to answer the call. We got pass going on now. So now that we get to see what's going on those two d linemen, I need to know because you got to have two booking defensive ends in this defense and the Ebra Flues defense. So man, I'm ready to watch them. So we'll see you on Friday.
Speaker 3: Mine.
Speaker 2: You know what's not surprising what he chose the defensive line.
Speaker 3: All right, y'all, thank you for watching the players man, we appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We will see you guys Fridays.
Speaker 3: This is the Players Lines, brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming at the SWBC studios here in Frisco, Texas. We will see you guys on Friday. Knew we will have all the reports from camps. They put the pads back on Friday, so we get to see some popping out there.
Speaker 2: We'll see you guys on Friday.
Speaker 8: Being ahead of it starts with the trenches. Keep it.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club