Speaker 1: December of twenty twenty, during the pandemic cold winter morning, the security guard on a train platform and the outskirts of Saint Louis was working his job and suddenly saw a man in a security booth who wasn't supposed to be there. So he approached this man and told him to leave, and then the verbal altercation ensued and another man walked up behind him, so he was surrounded by these two guys who were getting more and more agitated with him. The next thing he knew, he was assaulted by these two guys, struck in the head, and when he was on the ground, they continued to beat him and hit him in the head and hit ananimous chest and his ribs. The guys ran off and Michael and the victim suffered concussion that day and he couldn't remember anything. So what the police were really left with to solve this case is the same thing that they're left with in a lot of cases where there's no witnesses.
Speaker 2: A random crime, a victim with no memory, and nobody seems to have seen anything.
Speaker 1: A video camera was the only witness to this crime. This kind of fuzzy, blurry surveillance video captured a still of these perpetrators, and that was basically the only thing that they had to go on.
Speaker 2: Douglas McMillan is a reporter for the Washington Post, So Doug, first off, for real, thanks for being down to talk with me about all this. Of course, Doug doesn't usually cover cops or the justice system. His usual beat at the Post is corporate accountability and technology. But there was something about this case in Saint Louis that caught us attention.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of crimes, hundreds or thousands of solved cases out there where the only evidence was a camera, The only evidence was a photo of this in perpetrator. And the potential of this technology is we have this seemingly magical tool to help solve those crimes.
Speaker 2: The technology he's talking about here is AI facial recognition. Police around the country are increasingly using this on cases that they can't find a witness for and this was one of those cases. The investigation into who had assaulted Michael Feldman had pretty much gone cold.
Speaker 1: Until about eight months after the incident. We believe the police officers they decided, oh hey, we have these grainy surveillance images, let's try to run them through the facial recognition system and see if that will give us any matches. And so they did that and they got some matches back. We believe it was between five and ten maybe of different possible matches. And the one they chose, the one that they thought looked the most like the perpetrator of the crime, or one of the two perpetrators of the crime, was this gentleman named Christopher Gatlin. And then they kind of were off and running. In this case, they had a suspect. Then this was the only thing that police had to arrest this man, take away his freedom, you know, came down to this AI program.
Speaker 2: I mean, because the thing here that of course we're sort of circling around, is that that's not the guy, Christopher Gatlin's innocence.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid.
Speaker 2: From Kaleidoscope in iHeart Podcasts. This is kill Switch. I'm Dexter Thomas.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Good bye.
Speaker 1: So they went out investigating Christopher Gatlin and the first thing they did was print out a picture of his mugshot, and they took the picture of Chris Gatlin to the apartment building where Michael Feldman lives and they conducted a photo lineup with him, and they basically sat Michael Feldman down and gave him the photos, put them on the table in front of him, and instructed him to kind of spend time looking at each one and going through these photos, take.
Speaker 4: A look through all of them and see if anything.
Speaker 5: Rings a bell.
Speaker 2: Eight months after the assault, the cops visited the victim, Michael Feldman's house, and they brought some pictures with them. One of those pictures was of Chris Gatlin. And we know exactly what happened next because it's all on record.
Speaker 1: So we got the body camera a video of this photo lineup, and the officers who conducted this photo lineup did not follow the proper procedures for basically getting an affair and impartial identification of this witness. And you can see throughout the process when Michael Feldman's going through these photos, these police officers, who are really supposed to be just standing off to the side and not saying anything, are kind of coaching him and giving him kind of little clues throughout the process on which guy they want him to pick.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's think about before the incident, he went up and he talked to him a little bit right, Let's start to focus on things before you actually got any altercation of it, maybe even before you actually initially went.
Speaker 3: To talk to him. Just take a minute kind.
Speaker 4: Of ponder, think.
Speaker 1: And at one point he actually picks up the picture of Chris Gatlan and puts it aside, and he keeps on looking through these photos, and at one point he says, I want to say it's him pointing to a different guy.
Speaker 3: I want to say, jan I remember my memory is I want to say to him.
Speaker 1: When he does that, one of the detectives steps forward and says, okay. Instead of, you know, accepting that as an identification, the detective encourages him to continue going and continue thinking about the interaction. Think about, you know, was a guy wearing anything, Was he wearing a hat? Did you recognize anything about his face, his eyes, their clothing he had.
Speaker 3: I don't remember really.
Speaker 1: I thought he had like a hat on or something, or.
Speaker 4: Stocking something on. So let's picture the picture of these two guys wearing that, you know, a stocking cap or something. If you need to use your hands, if you've got to put hands on the papers.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 1: And so you know, he kind of like, you know, prods Michael into thinking that he didn't pick the right person and then going back and kind of changing his mind, And eventually he does go back and he pulls the picture of Chris Gatland out and he points to that and he says it was him, kid.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: I just remember he getting really angry quick.
Speaker 2: Just the mannerism I'm just trying to and the eyes probably.
Speaker 4: How pissed off he got.
Speaker 3: As not to be in that.
Speaker 1: You couldn't stand there.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: So police take that identification and they're able to get a warrant to arrest Chris Gatlin. They have no other evidence other than that an algorithm picked him out. He spent seventeen months in jail. So, Doug, I've read about Chris Gatland's case, but you've met him in person. What's he like.
Speaker 1: He's a very sweet, charming guy, father of four kids. He did not have a criminal record, so the reason that he was in this system. So the fish recognition database in Saint Louis has over two hundred and fifty thousand mug shots of people, including people who were pulled over for traffic stops and arrested for speeding or arrested for very minor things. Saint Louis has a long history of over policing, especially black minority, low income populations, handing out tickets to people just so that police can meet their quotas. So Chris, he had had a few different traffic infractions, and he had one burglary charge from a few years earlier. It was ultimately dropped right prosecutors. But that's the reason that he came out, and that's the reason he was in this system.
Speaker 2: It's incredible that you could be in a system that would lead you to get arrested based off of a traffic ticket. I have a completely clean record, with the one exception that a literal decade ago, I was speeding to work on the freeway. I was late for work. I got pulled over. Now, I didn't get arrested, but had somebody decide to go a little harder on me? Sure, I suppose they could have. And I'm just imagining myself being at home one day and police coming to my door and saying, Hey, we're arresting you because we think you did something that I've never heard of in a place that I don't.
Speaker 1: Go, because you were in this database.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was five miles over the speed limit one day going for work. Yeah, so maybe this is a good time to say that all facial recognition technology isn't the same, or maybe more importantly, that it all doesn't come from the same place. The program that the Saint Louis Cops use searches the internal databases of the police department. But there's another very popular tool. It's able to pull data straight from the Internet. It's called clearview AI.
Speaker 1: Clearview scrapes together images from Facebook, from LinkedIn, from Venmo accounts, from news articles, from all of the public web sources that it can find images with people's face.
Speaker 2: Clearview is wild, and they've got billions of photos in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they say they have billions of images. And there's a question about whether it's legal for them to scrape these images and put them in a database, because they do not have they never really got permission from anybody to get these images.
Speaker 2: Clearview AI's website boats that they've scraped over fifty billion images. And again this is just from the general Internet. So when the police run a search, you could be in there, even if you've never had a run in with law enforcement. Do we even know how many police departments are using this.
Speaker 1: No, it's very hard to tell because they're not required to disclose this anyway. In most places, they're not required to disclose that they're using these tools. So the best proxy for that number is what the companies who make this software have announced. Clearview AI has said that it has thousands. I think they have said over three thousand police customers. I did a pretty exhaustive public record search for police departments that are using this tools. We only came up with a list of about seventy that we could verify that are using it in some way, and of those, we sought public records on individual cases, and we could only get individual case on something like thirty or forty of them. Getting to the bottom of you know, which police departments are using this, how they're using it is very difficult because for the most part, there's no requirement for them to make public how and when they're using the tools, and that is allowing police to mostly use these tools in secrets.
Speaker 2: But sometimes it's not the machines making the mistakes, it's the cops. More on that after the break, it's not too hard to understand why a police department would be interested in facial recognition tools. It seems pretty logical. I mean, you're having a hard time crack in a case and you either don't have any eyewitnesses, or you can't rely on the witnesses you have, or maybe, like with Michael Feldman, the victims suffered an injury that affected their memory of the event, or maybe too much time has passed for somebody to really remember the details. Eyewitness accounts are full of problems for law enforcement because human memory is unreliable and it can be influenced by people's biases. So there's this potential magical solution. You in put a face into the system, It searches a database and spits out a match. All you gotta do is go find that person and boom. Case closed.
Speaker 1: So we know that there are at least eight Americans who have been wrongly arrested due to police misuse of facial recognition.
Speaker 2: And just to be clear here, when he says wrongly arrested, that's not just his opinion. What he means is that the police admitted afterwards that they got the wrong person.
Speaker 1: Interestingly, one of those cases this man named Jason Vernaw who is based in Miami. In that case, the computer got the right person, but the police had fed the computer an image of the wrong person. So they fed it an image who they thought this was the perpetrator of somebody in a bank committing fraud. But it turns out they were mistaken and the surveillance image that they put in the system was just the wrong person to begin with.
Speaker 2: So that was the one time they got it right.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, so the computer actually picked the right person, but the police were relying on this image they got from the bank and they just pulled an image from the wrong time.
Speaker 2: So the bank pulled an image from their security cameras and sent it to the police, and this image was Jason Vernow, but it was from a completely different time of the day. The facial recognition software had correctly identified Jason, but the police failed to make some obvious checks.
Speaker 1: What this case shows was that the police put the image in their system and it popped up Jason Vernow and they went out and arrested the guy, rather than taking a second and saying, okay, is we have a suspect. Let's see if, like, can we prove that Jason ver Now was tied to this crime. And in the case of a financial there is a lot of potential evidence there. There's a check that he supposedly cashed, a faulty check. Well, this check of his signature matches. There are witnesses, there's a bank teller who took let's see if the bank teller can confirm that was him. They didn't do any of that. They apparently didn't do any real investigative steps. They just took the word of the machine and went not arrested him. It speaks to kind of this phenomenon that seems to be happening with police as they are trusting this kind of they're kind of imbuing this software with this magical ability to lead them to the right suspect. Some researchers call this automation bias, that when a computer is telling you an answer, you're more likely to believe that that is the correct answer, even at the expense of your kind of typical due diligence, your typical you know, just rational brain and just normal steps that you should think through and follow before you go out and arrest somebody take away somebody's freedom.
Speaker 2: Automation bias is just one kind of bias here, though, I mean, there was something unique about this particular person though, right, compared to the other cases. Yeah, he was white, and that's the one that they got the computer got right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The facial recognition has been shown to often get certain people wrong. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's two things going on here. One, facial recognition has struggled with darker complexions, and part of this is due to how these programs are trained. So when the first face rerecation algorithms were trained, they were trained on lighter skin tones. There's a federal research lab it's called NIST NIST that does testing into how well facial recognition performs in laboratory settings, and they found in twenty nineteen that certain demographic groups, including African Americans, and certain facial rection algorithms could be up to one hundred times more likely to be mismatched than lighter skin tones. That was about six years ago, and the industry says, and clear View in other companies says that their algorithms have improved dramatically over that time, and there's some evidence that they have gotten better. However, we ultimately don't know how accurate and how reliable this software is in the way that law enforcement use it because it's never been tested in the way that law enforcement use it, the way that that federal lab tests things. It's looking at basically perfect lighting, a perfectly framed profile photo in perfect conditions. How does that algorithm do in those settings? Unlike how police use these tools, which is, we're going to use this grainy surveillance image shot at a weird angle from above, usually usually if very poor lighting, and usually the face is partly obscure or it could be. In the case in Saint Louis, the guy was actually wearing a COVID mask that was covering part of his and he was wearing a hood that covered another part of his face. So this is the typical setting where police are using these tools.
Speaker 2: There's a case where a cartoon came up in a match at one point, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So because clear VII just has these I guess web crawlers that are just scraping the Internet, and so the things that come up and the Clearview results sometimes are bizarre. So in this one case in Ohio, two of the search results that I think we're in the top ten of the search results were Michael Jordan just a picture of Michael Jordan and I by the way, I reached out to Michael Jordan's rep when I published this in a story, and she didn't have any comment on whether he might have been implicated into crime in Ohio. And then the other one was yeah, just like it illustrated a cartoon image of a black man. So it just makes you like, kind of makes it you scratch your head as to you know, what is this tool that police are relying on if it's feeding them, you know, garbage as results.
Speaker 2: And giving them Michael Jordan committed this crime in the top ten.
Speaker 1: Right, which right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again a big allegedly here, but I feel pretty sure they'd have a tough time connecting him to the scene of whatever that that particular crime was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if this is such an advanced algorithm, why can't their computer figure out that's Michael Jordan and just take him out? And why can't a computer figure out that that's a cartoon black man and not a real person. I just ca't like a lot of the people who are who put forward facial recognition as this science, they have sort of cast it in the kind of the cloak of this is a scientific tool. The police are now using a lot of those arguments kind of break down when you see stuff like this, when you see, oh, well, your scientific, highly advanced tool, you know, brought back a picture of you know, cartoon black Man. How do the science arrive at that?
Speaker 2: Facial recognition as a technology is probably a whole other episod. But if you've ever used face ID to unlock your iPhone, you've already used the version of facial recognition on yourself. In some ways, the technology isn't all that different from how it started in the nineteen sixties, when researchers were trying to figure out how to identify facial features like the bridge of the nose, the edge of the nose, or the eyes and measure the distance between them. They'd store all those measurements as data for a single face. Back in the sixties, this stuff was pretty rudimentary, but AI's made it more accurate because you can train the systems on more faces, which means theoretically it's more likely to tell your face from someone else's. But you've probably had your face ID fail on you before, and that's under good conditions. It's just trying to match your face with well your face. If you add a few million other faces into the mix, the potential for mistakes multiplies by a lot. But even with those issues, police are increasingly leaning on this technology. It seems like police are presenting the fact that facial recognition software has returned a match, whether it's true or false, as evidence. But that seems it seems backwards, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, not only that, but it's on the one hand, they actually acknowledge that facial recognition is not enough to make a case. They say this in their police rules and their public statements over and over and over. If you hear police talk about facial recognition, they say to the public, this is only an investigative tool. We are only going to use this to find investigative leads that we then go out and corroborate. And in some places that's actually the law. There's six states where actually police are required to corroborate any leads that they given facial recgnition. What we found in looking at cases all around the country was that the police were not doing that. Sometimes they do, but often they will just take it at face value that this software hit is enough, and then they will use that to go out and arrest the per I encountered this really surprising thing, which is I talked to a number of prosecutors and police who told me that, well, yeah, we did corroboration. As soon as we got the name from the software, we went and we looked at that person's other photos and it visually looked like the same person. And they said that that is corroboration, visual corroboration of a match.
Speaker 2: That sounds like you're corroborating evidence on your own, like you're becoming a witness at that point.
Speaker 1: As a police officer, this thing comes up over and over is that many people look alike, and humans are very bad at distinguishing between two people who are similar.
Speaker 2: You would think that this is where technology could help, but AI isn't much better at telling people apart. The first known case of a wrongful arrest made by AI was Robert Williams in Detroit in twenty twenty. Doug was able to get the police interrogation video. William's case is really interesting because we have the interrogation video of this and I was just watching this and it's incredible. So this is you I know you've seen this video. So this is where they're you know, these two detectives are sitting in this interrogation room. Rob Williams is sitting across the table from them, and he's clearly confused. And they bring out these papers and I'll play it from here.
Speaker 5: December twenty sixth, around one pm? Where were you.
Speaker 3: Home? Home?
Speaker 5: Can you do me a favorite? Is that you?
Speaker 3: You know? No?
Speaker 5: Not even closed it? No, I'm pissed.
Speaker 3: Keep going.
Speaker 5: Is that you? No, that's not you at all? Not there either. You can't y'all can't tail that. I'm one hundred, so I'm one of the pictures. We actually got facial recognition. I heard that it was probably favorite recognition.
Speaker 3: That is not me.
Speaker 2: That's me on my d right, you're you're smiling and I'm smiling too. As bleak as this is. But there's something almost funny in this exchange.
Speaker 1: Well, they because they present the pictures as if it's evidence in their favor, and then as soon as he sees them and reacts to them, suddenly it becomes evidence in his favor because he's like, are you looking at the same picture I'm looking at because it's clearly not me? And it's funny. You can kind of hear in the officer's voice, well, well, it's we have facial recognition, as if you know, as if that's somehow, you know, bolsters his case that this is this is accurate, as if that's going to change his mind that the picture that he's looking at is actually him when he knows it's not him, As if the phrase facial recognition is itself kind of evidence of the police being correct.
Speaker 2: You know, he holds a picture up to his face, like, look, of course, this isn't me. What are you talking about, Kate? Forget the software, look at me. The thing that hits you about this interaction is that when the cop finally looks at the picture, you could hear the room go quiet for a second, and nobody's arguing with Robert Williams, and it kind of sounds like he's agreeing, like it's the first time he's actually looking at it, like he had so much confidence in the machine that he didn't bother to look with his own eyes.
Speaker 1: They by and large are not telling even the people that they identify and arrest using his tools that they use them, and that's leading to people either finding out kind of in offhand ways in interrogation that oh, well, you know the computer picked you. Well, what do you mean by the computer. A lot of times, they're probably not finding out at all, which is concerning because one of the pillars of our courts and our justice system is that you need to be able to face your accuser. And so if your accuser is this algorithm, this computer program, but you're not even being told that it was used, let alone given any of the details about how it works. So all of these things are being kind of kept vague or sometimes completely kept hidden from the people that these tools are being used to investigate and ultimately arrest.
Speaker 2: So what does this mean for the future of policing and how should we be using these technologies if at all? That's after the break. People are being investigated and arrested and not being told that police are using these facial recognition tools to find them. You don't need a law agree to feel that something about that is just kind of off, and you wouldn't be wrong. Here in the US, there's a specific set of rules that might apply here, the Brady rules. I want to talk about that. So can we talk about how Brady rules can can potentially figure into an arrest that is made with AI facial recognition as a part of that or is the sole part of it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So basically, when you prosecute somebody, the prosecution is required by the courts and required by the Constitution to share any evidence that speaks to the guilt or the innocence of the person that they're prosecuting, so whired to share that with the defense. There's a question now the courts are grappling with, which is does somebody's identification by an AI software? Should that be brought into the courtroom? And should the should the defendant be given a chance to know everything about that software? And right now this is playing out in courtrooms across the country.
Speaker 2: Basically putting the AI in a manner of speaking, putting the AI on the witness stand and saying how reliable really are you? Yeah.
Speaker 1: A very good indicator of how that's going to go is the companies themselves have disclaimers saying this does not hold up in courts. Clearview AI is the one that I'm very familiar with. They have language and all of their contracts with police departments saying this is not admissible evidence in court. And also basically, please don't ask us to come into court, because nobody from Clearview AI is going to come and sit in court and defend this software. The very companies who make it and advertise it and market it as this great, amazing technology tool, they would not even stand behind it.
Speaker 2: In your research, in your reporting, you've seen what looks like and what defendants are saying wrongful arrest based on AI. Have the police who made these arrests or who made those decisions. Has there been any repercussions, any discipline, any guidance for them that you've seen.
Speaker 1: I mean, the answer is no, as far as I can tell, the individual officers have not publicly faced any punishment, although you know, you never know what happens behind closed doors. Typically police unions forbid police from publicly talking about punishment of individuals. Now, we've seen settlements paid out of three hundred thousand dollars to a few of these people who are wrong fully arrested. Is this going to change the behavior of these individuals. There's only six states that have laws mandating specific disclosures and mandate specific things about how these tools cannot be used. So you know, the vast majority of the country police are kind of still just kind of figuring out. It's really early days.
Speaker 2: So just to back up here, we've been talking about the problems with this technology, what about the upsides? And it's interesting because if you ask people how facial recognition could be used to catch criminals, there's not really any high profile cases we could point to. And before you say January sixth, well that's complicated.
Speaker 1: A lot of people attribute facial recognition with helping to I identify these people and to bring them to justice. And yes, facial recond did play a role. However, on that day, there was a lot of evidence being collected through social media posts that these people were making on their own videos that these people were taking and posting. I think the federal investigators even use of high tech methods to grab the cellular location data of everybody who is in the capital that day, and I think they were able to identify a lot of people that way. So facial actation in that case was one of many tools that were used, which is sort of how it's designed to be used, is you know, not as kind of the sole investigative lead, but as one of several. So, you know, other than that, there aren't that many well known cases out there that we can point to of you know, this was the thing that brought down, you know, a murder case that we've been trying to solve for many years. But I bet we will start to hear about some of that, and I would love to kind of have more of those case studies we can pick apart. I think the public deserves to know about both. The public should also be aware of the good and the benefit because as we kind of make laws or think about regulating how to ring this in, it's going to be important to understand that balance and to get it right. I think that there's a danger and rushing to a blanket ban on this technology.
Speaker 2: I want to play some for you really quick. This is a really I think powerful moment from your podcast, and I was hoping I could have have you speak to this a little bit here.
Speaker 5: They lean on the technology because I think we are taught that computers don't make mistakes.
Speaker 4: Humans do.
Speaker 2: Now I'm sitting there like, how can you do this?
Speaker 3: You can't do this?
Speaker 1: Like, no way, how can you just put these charges on them?
Speaker 3: And I'm telling you that that's not me.
Speaker 2: I know I was in this, So how do I beat a machine?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess I guess my question is here these I'm just gonna call them AI arrests. How do these arrests affect the people who are being accused.
Speaker 1: That was a clip of our episode of Post Reports, and we heard these patterns of experience which were very notable. So a few things. Wrongful arrests are not a new thing. The technology did not bring about wrongful arrests, but the idea of you know, usually there's some other incidental relationship some somebody has to a crime before they get into a wrongful orest. In these cases, the AI is plucking you out of thin air in some cases. And in one case, this man, Karan Reid, he had never actually even been to the state of a Louisiana and he was resident in Atlanta, so he's literally been plucked from the other side of the country and brought into this crime that he had literally no proximity to whatsoever. So this what does that do to the human brain when you are just suddenly poof inside of a criminal investigation that you have no connection to whatsoever. It's like baseline is a word that came up over and over. A lot of people just kind of got stuck on that idea, even when they sat in jail for one or two or three weeks or months in the case of Chris Gatlin, who was in jail for seventeen months. Some of them had this feeling of and I think you just heard it in the clip. If the computer is telling you that I did it, then how am I going to convince you? Otherwise? How am I going to beat a computer? Because you know, it goes back to this thing that we were talking about before, this automation bias of you know, he never heard of that term, but he instinctively realized that he was going against a power that was much greater than him and in some ways probably much greater than if a witness had picked you for a crime. It's like it's a computer picked you for a crime and put your name on the line and put your name into this investigation.
Speaker 2: So it's our belief in the computer that's what you're up against.
Speaker 1: You know, many of the people that we talked to and the cases that are public, many of them feel like they kind of were the lucky ones. And maybe they got out because one of them had a mole on his face and his lawyer discovered that the guy and the surveillance image didn't have a mole. Or there was one woman, Portia Woodriff who was eight months pregnant at the time she has arrested, and you know, there was nothing in the interviews with the victims that said there's a pregnant woman involved. So that's ultimately one of the reasons that she got out. But are there many other people who didn't get lucky and might might be behind bars still because of facial recognition, you know, wrongfully put them there.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you put it like that, you start to make me think that maybe we're not hearing horror stories. Those are the success stories.
Speaker 1: This was pretty horrible for these people, not just them in some of the cases. You know, their their children, their young children watch them get arrested in their front lawns, and that's trauma.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the one of the men that we've talked about before, Robert Williams, who's arrested in Detroit. You know, his kids watched them get arrested in the front lawn and he says, to this day, they still talk about that incident. One one of his daughters. This is kind of heartbreaking. One of his daughters every once in a while comes up to him and says, Daddy, I think I've solved it. I found the real man who went and stole those watches, and she pointed to like a cartoon character as like that was the one that was the real guy who stole the watches and not daddy.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So these, I mean, these experiences are now baked into their lives and their childhoods. And then that's you know, I'm a parent of small kids, and that's a very sad thing. And yes, they were lucky, probably luckier than other people whose stories we don't know about, but also these are horrible experiences.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what y'all think about this. I'm still trying to figure that out myself, and I know a lot of what we've heard sounds pretty terrifying. So for one of my last questions, I asked Doug what he thought the next few years were going to look like with this technology, and he answered in a way that I didn't really expect.
Speaker 1: We're still at a point of fascination with this technology, and in places around the country, maybe not in the big cities, where I mean you do see kind of a skepticism of tech tools and concerned about privacy and surveillance, but in many of the places in this country, you know, in smaller towns around the country, police are adopting these things and are excited and there's a fascination, and they're being sold to the public as this kind of magical tool, like in Evansville, Indiana, in Florence, Kentucky, in Saint John's County, Florida, these smaller town places where you know, the local population may not know that the police have started to like rely on these tools quite a bit. So a simple goal for my reporting has just been to just kind of encourage people to ask questions to your go to your city council meeting. You'll actually learn a lot. You don't have to sit on the sidelines of this discussion because you're part of it. You are a person that is in front of these surveillance cameras too. So now there's a risk of you, everybody in this country of getting pulled into an investigation due to, you know, a misuse of this technology. So you should everybody should think about themselves as being part of this discussion about whether and how we use this technology going forward.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening to our first episode of The New kill Switch, and a very special thanks to our friends over the Washington Post. Podcast Post reports who helped us with this episode. You can check out more Doug's reporting over there and stay with us. We have so much more ahead. This show is all about what's happening right now between humans, between machines, how we're being shaped by our own creations, and a whole lot beyond that. So let us know what you think, and even if there's something you want us to cover, you can hit us up at kill Switch at Kaleidoscope dot NYC, or you could hit me at dex Digi on the Gram or Blue Sky if that's more your thing. Kill Switch is hosted by me Dexter Thomas. It's produced by Shena Ozaki, Daryl Potts, and Kate Osbourne. Our theme song is by Kyle Murdoch, who also mixed the show. From Kaleidoscope. Our executive producers are Ozwa Washin, Mangesh Hutti Goodur, and Kate Osborne from iHeart, our executive producers are Katrina Norvil and Nick Etur. That's it for me, catch on the next one. H