Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to the Bob Leftsetts Podcast. Today our guest is the one and only Robert frim Robert, did you practice today?
Speaker 2: I have not yet strapped on a guitar today, Bob. But may I also say you have a second guest, David Singleton, who is my business business partner, King Crimson Producer, and we've been engaged in various forms of musical and professional activities since about nineteen eighty nine. I say this because David has a far greater intelligence than mine. And there's also a philosophy graduate from Cambridge University, one of the two press these universities in England, whereas I am from working class stock and grammar school education and has really been educated by the life of a professional musician.
Speaker 1: Okay, since you mentioned David, you're both on the call here today. The two of you are going on tour imminently on the West coast of California. Can you tell me about that. Why David's involved in what you're going to do?
Speaker 2: Well, David's involved because he has a superior intellect of mine. He's also has a far greater overview of my affairs than I do, because I tend to be more specifically focused in the moment with what I'm doing. For example, a working musician walks on stage, plugs in, and begins to play, and their focus tends to be very specifically located in that moment during the performance. Now, when I walk off stage age, my recall tends to be better. If the gig has been really bad. If the gig sucks, you remember more of it. If it takes off and flies away, you're in a different place, and when you land on earth you don't quite have access to that same place until you take off and fly again. However, David, who maybe for example, watching from the auditorium, has a better distance and overview of what has gone on, and also a far better skill set in terms of analysis than I do, so his opinion is infinitely more reliable than mine. So he's coming along when I stumbled. He will tell people what I meant to say had I been a younger, more intelligent man.
Speaker 3: Our talks grew out of talks that we used to give the all the King Crimson shows. So before the King Crimson Shows, we used to do a thing called the Royal Package, where some fans could come in early and I recall when we were originally planning what we might do before the shows. I said, well, somebody should talk to the fans, you know, for the hour before the show, And I remember distinctly Robert saying to me, David, you should talk to the fans. I love it when you do the work and I earn the money, which wasn't true, by the way, because he shares the money. But anyway, so I began talking to fans before Robert joined me, one of the band members join me, and so to some extent, we're now doing those talks without the show.
Speaker 1: Okay, Robert, you're a man who has very distinct opinions, So it's funny that you talk about trusting Dave. Is Dave unique or you're more trusting than your image.
Speaker 2: David is one of two people who I trusted to give me objective and accurate feedback on anything that was particularly a rising in my life, or shall we saying King Crimson the fis Bill Reeflin and David Singleton were the two characters who if anyone in the band felt that Robert needed to be told a particular something but maybe they were afraid to tell him, then they would go to either Bill Reeflin, who was our drummer and keyboard player in the twenty fourteen twenty eighteen incarnations. They would go to Bill Rieflin or to David Singleton, both of whom I trust to be entirely impartial and give me the good, bad news, or whatever it might have been. There were very few people, very very few people who were like this.
Speaker 1: But you seem so warm and friendly right now? Is this your normal demeanor? Because your reputation is not that.
Speaker 2: It's true, my reputation is appalling, and it's interesting as an older man to look back consider why why this might be. And I'm beginning to come up with a few clues is to why my reputation is appalling. But since I trust David, David, why do you think my reputation is appalling?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll answer that in two ways. Firstly, the very first time Robertson and I went out doing a speaking tour, it had a subtitle that awful Man and his manager We didn't, which wasn't a tagline that we added. Somebody else, some wit came up with it when we were about to go on tour and said, oh, this is what you should call it. That awful man and his manager. And the main reason I think Robert has that reputation is because he prioritizes the music in all situations. So if you have a show or you're recording, Robert prioritizes the music, not the social or And for some people, I think that probably irks them.
Speaker 1: Okay, but Robert, let's say, in this hypothetical you walk into a coffee shop, are you the warmest guy or do you'd say, hey, this is exactly what I want and you're happy if it's not perfect. Would someone encounter this so called appalling reputation if you were just in everyday life.
Speaker 2: Probably I find that if you'd like a buy and large overview. If someone comes to me with a flea in their ear, they tend to leave with two a flea in each year. If someone comes to me with an attitude, they tend to leave with more of the same attitude. For example, if they come up to me with an open heart, they tend to find a person with an open heart. There are exceptions to this, and I can recall a few of them. For example, if I go into a coffee shop and I'm reading, for someone to come up and say excuse me, mister Fripp. I didn't want to interrupt you. My response might be to actually quote Jimmy Hendrix in the same situation. Then why are you so If a person comes up knowing they're interrupting me, I might remind them that they know better, or on some cases I've simply ignored them.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're in your home right now. I don't want the specific address, but where is it?
Speaker 2: Generally it's in Middle England. It's about thirty miles south of Birmingham. It's geographically middle England. It's in the County of Worcester, and it's what is called a Georgian market town. That most of the buildings on the high street, Bridge Street, and where we are right in the center of town for the market square. It's Georgian. That is approximately mid eighteenth century. However, David, who lives in the old vicarage in town, looks out his window and sees the abbey. I look out our front windows and see the abbey about two hundred yards away as the crowflies. So we're looking at the site of Christian worship in this town since about seven hundred a d. Now, to an American this is maybe kind of astonishing, since the colonies were only set up, as we know, in the early seventeenth century. To have an ongoing site of worship in any religion for a period of what thirteen hundred years thirteen hundred and twenty years is quite astonishing. At the end of our garden, I live here with my wonderful wife Toy. We walk down to the garden. At the end of the garden is the River Avon. You turn left and go up twenty miles you'll pass William Shakespeare's old cottage old house. If you turn right and go down about one hundred miles you will pass Sting's House just outside Salisbury. So at the River Avon here the Vikings used to come up river and beat people up in our town and beastly characters that they were. They would burn down the wooden Christian Church in town, so eventually it was rebuilt in I think early twentieth century of Stone and the local Worthy, tough guy, the alpha male of the time, the local Worthy Night saw the Vikings off in a big punch up up the hill here. He saw them offer I think about ten seventy five, and they never came back. So we've had relative peace in town through about thousand years. So, David, would you add to this what am I missing?
Speaker 3: No? I thought that was wonderful. I was gonna say when you said relative piece in town, that's obviously until Robert moved in.
Speaker 1: So Robert, why this general location in England?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: When I first met my wife in nineteen eighty three, but we met again in nineteen eighty five working on a charity record for to raise money for children's schooled in West Virginia, associated with the charity of which I was at that time the president. I met my wife and proposed. In a week. We had a date on the Friday, she went back to London, returned for our second date Friday one week later, and I proposed. At that time, my little elderly mother was alive, So my wife moved to my part of the world because we knew that maybe not too far down the road, one day the phone would go and the voice would say, you need to come now. Well, after my wonderful little mother died in nineteen ninety three, we could then be anywhere. And in nineteen ninety nine my wife's parents retired. She bought them a cottage just half a mile up river where there is a boat club that Toya essentially throughout her youth, about age I think two or three onwards. My wife became associated with this specific location. She moved her parents into retirement to this location, and at that point it became obvious that we should change from Wiltshire, Wiltshire, Dorset up to Worcestershire here to be in near them. So that's why we're here.
Speaker 1: Why did you know or how did you know she was the one so quickly?
Speaker 2: How could you not know that you've just met your wife?
Speaker 1: How old were you when you met your wife?
Speaker 2: At thirty nine? Was when we had our first date.
Speaker 1: And I proposed, okay, they are all these rock stars who do drugs sleep with a lot of women, but not all of them. Iani Anderson told me, you know that he was living a more conventional life while the members of his men were partying. You'd already had a lot of success, not to riet he'd been on the road. Had you partaken so called of the fruits of the road or were you in your hotel room practicing? What was your life like before you met to it?
Speaker 2: Well, I never took drugs, Yes, I practiced in my hotel room for hours and hours and hours. Did I socialize from time to time, Yes, But in nineteen sixty nine, Peter Simfield, the lyricist for the first King Crimson, who wrote some astonishing words, he commented that Robert practiced in his hotel room for eight hours a day. Now, from my position today, looking at Peter and looking at Robert, and asked to take a decision on these two young men's future, I would be inclined to say that guitarist is likely to succeed. And in terms of being a nasty, horrible, creepy person. To come back to what David said, and since we're talking about nineteen sixty nine King Crimson, Michael Jarles the drummer, astonishing drummer, probably the drummer of his generation in rock music. He said, there are three three areas for a band, the music, the money, and the social life. Any two of those you will have a successful band. And I would say any three of those and you have an astonishingly successful band. But going back to it, my priority working as a professional musician is the music. There are some professionals who take an alternative style of alternative you and that's entirely legitimate, which is this is a lifestyle that I would like, the socializing with the other members of the band, the life on the road, and so on. If that's congenial for them, fine, that is not my primary concern, and a life on the road has been distinctly non congenial for me as a person. In terms of the money, my attitude has been this is coming from the background of the nineteen sixties and King Crimson began essentially as a cooperative venture. Share the money, and after the dissolution of the first King Crimson and the subsequent incarnations, then I've kept to this. If you ask a person in the band to make the commitment that you were making, you share the money with them, and if you don't share the money with them, you can't legitimately ask them to make the commitment that you are. So for me, I've worked with the musicians that personally were exceptionally difficult for me to work with if I felt that these were the musicians needed to make this music available. So, in other words, the social aspects of working within a group have not been a priority for me personally. The money neither. Particularly it comes down to the music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you mentioned not taking drugs. Is that a philosophy? Did you just stumble into that and you didn't take drugs? Tell me more about that.
Speaker 2: It was always very clear to me that this was not a way for me, Just that clear.
Speaker 1: What about alcohol?
Speaker 2: Yes, I've pushed the boat out a young man of my generation that didn't take drugs, and we were now looking at the early nineteen sixties. What he might do, however, is have a pint of cider on the Saturday night even too, and it would be rough cider, and why roughsider? Because it was one shilling and one pence and on a Saturday night. If you're only getting five shillings a week for your earnings, or even five pounds a week for your earnings, that was all you could afford. So age sixteen or seventeen, I would go down to the Cellar Club in Pool to see the rock groups playing in the Cellar Club. Greg Lake and his band was one of them. And for two shillings and two pence and the price of a bus ride there, which is about a shilling, you could have a relatively straightforward and enjoy full Saturday night out. It was affordable. Did I grow older? And develop a taste in something finer than rough sided. Yes, I quite like sparkling wine. Champagne is fine, but I'm not snobbish about it. I'm very happy to have prosecco, and I have learned to drink margaritas. My wife makes astonishing monster margaritas, so I have also enjoyed monster margaritas on many occasions with Adrian Blue, we would go out to some modest Mexican restaurants and have the monster margaritas. But I do not drink when I'm working.
Speaker 1: So other than your wife, where's the best margarita you've had?
Speaker 2: Now you have me, I tell you what. I had a really good margarita at Daryl's house in not October of twenty twenty two. We did our live at Daryl's house, and then afterwards I wasn't anticipating drinking, but it did feel like an appropriate moment. So I had a margarita and it was very, very good.
Speaker 1: And you know, traditionally margarita's come with salt on the rim. Are you a traditionalist or do you say? No salt?
Speaker 2: Classic salt margarita on the rocks, preferably crushed ized, no doubt, fresh line fresh line, and.
Speaker 1: Does it matter whether it's Quervo eighteen hundred or just whatever tequila's on hand.
Speaker 2: I'm not snobbish. I prefer white tequila. Blue a garth goes down very nicely, indeed. But now here's the one. I was in Mexico in Cernavaca with my pal Leo, who organized guitar craft and guitar circle courses at to Potsdam, and we were in the restaurant, which was formerly the house of Diego Rivera, and we were having lunch together and I thought, well, I'm not working, I'll pus shake the boat. I'll have a margarita. And Leah explained to me, you don't get margaritas in Mexico any more than you used to get pizzas in Italy. He said, we drink mescal. I thought, all right, I'll give this a chop and I took my first sip and I thought, oh, that tastes nice. I'll have a second one. Once I got to the end of my first mescal, I realized, now, now a second one is really a step too far.
Speaker 1: Okay, what kind of kid were you growing up? Were you a member of the group, were you under sports? Were you that odd kid. It was always by themselves.
Speaker 2: Probably all of those. I think it changed when I was about age nine or ten and my reading skills had developed, and at that point I would tend to stay in more evenings than not reading. When I became a guitarist at eight eleven, this was a very good, natural and developing tendency. Because if you are a musician, an Aspen musician, and or a composer or writer, you have to have what Professor John Slaboda in his Psychology for Musicians refers to as the capacity of strong interestpect. If you are a serious practicer, this is four to eight hours of your life at least, and if you're a young concert pianist it might be twelve sixteen hours a day now to sit on a chair mostly on your own, focusing on your practicing or your writing. That much time on your own for most inverted comrasordinary people would be a struggle. If, however, you have an innate or developed capacity for introspection, which is healthy, this is what Professor Roboda refers to. This is a strong and healthy capacity for introspection, not not somehow a failing to engage socially.
Speaker 1: Okay, is like your wife. As soon as you started playing the guitar, you said, this is it. How did you make the transition from a non player to a player?
Speaker 2: When I met my wife, I practiced less than hitherto.
Speaker 1: Ok, let me rephrase this question. How did you first get an instrument? And was guitar your first instrument?
Speaker 2: Yes, it was December twenty fourth, nineteen fifty seven, Christmas Eve and my mother, who had bought me all my Christmas presents. But I believe the day before I said I want a guitar for Christmas. So my mother and I went out shopping into Bournemouth, which was nine miles from Wimborne, where we lived. And this area in Dorset based around actually just four miles north of Wimburne is the Fripp family village where the Trips have gone back father to father for four hundred years. For example, in the village where Toya and myself had our first datum where we got married. My great great great great great grandfather Robert Fripp died in seventeen fifty four, but my father took the geniality back a little further actually to fifteen ninety in Edmonsham, which is five miles north of that, so that's a slight distraction. Now back we went from Wimborne into Bournemouth. We went round all the music shops in Bournemouth, finding nothing appropriate until write about five o'clock at the end of our shopping day, to Min's Music of Westbourne. And as we were there in the shop, a woman came in with this guitar and she said, I would like to return this to you. We're getting a better guitar for my So we stepped forward and said we will buy this, and the Eggermann Freys instrument bought for six guineas, is now in the cellar directly below the study were speaking. It was an appalling instrument, a really, really terrible instrument which creppled my left hand action for years. Even in nineteen seventy I remember having to practice to develop a more relaxed left hand grip after learning to play this instrument. You'd need players to put the strings down above the seventh threat. The action was so bad. But anyway, that was my first guitar and was in three months. I knew this was my life.
Speaker 1: Okay, you take the guitar home, what do you do? First of all, there's the issue of tuning it. You don't know how to read music? What were your steps?
Speaker 2: All right? Well, the man in men's music obviously knew three or four chords to persuade people that this was an instrument worth playing, and he tuned it up for us. So I took it home and there was the guitar tutor of the day. Was actually an appalling tutor, hugely successful called play in a Day by Bert Whedon, which many of the leading guitarists of the time looked back on and refer to it as the first tutor. It was an appalling tutor. Nevertheless, this was where one began at the time until we received better information. So about three months after having the guitar, I went for my first guitar lessons with Missus cah Felleen Gartel of the kauf Mullen School of Music, kauf Mullen being three miles down the road from Wimborne and where I grew up, spending the first three years of my life in kauf Mullen. Missus Gartel was a very good Salvation Army lady who saw it as her work in life as educating children in music. She was primarily a piano teacher, not an awfully good guitar teacher, which she knew, and after my first course of I believed ten or twelve lessons I was her star student. So she sent me on to a proper guitar teacher, Don Strike of Westbourne Arcade, who was actually only two hundred yards from Min's Music where I bought the guitar but had not quite discovered him. I wish i'd governed him earlier, and under Don Strike I began to develop seriously and find my own way forward. When I was seventeen, I visited Don Strike's music shop on that particular Saturday afternoon. This is what young guitarists would do. There were two shops in town. You go to Don Strike's in Westbourne Arcade and then maybe you go to Eddie Moore's Music in not Westbourne it was. It was before christ Church anyway, it was East Bournemouth, and in between two shops there would be movement. I went in one Saturday and Don Strike shook my hand and acknowledged me as the better get guitarist. At the time it didn't strike me particularly, but as I've got older and from where I am now, I recognize this as a very generous compliment from an older generation player acknowledging a younger generation player.
Speaker 1: Okay, when you take lessons, they teach you how to read music. Do you read music today? Do you write out charts?
Speaker 2: Do I read music today? Yes, but slowly because it's not part of my daily activity. Historically, when I became a professional in nineteen sixty seven and moved to London, way up until about two thousand and eight, I would I would write, we might say compose with charts, but within members of King Crimson, I would not give them charts. I understand Charles Mingus didn't either, So what I would do is show the music to the other members of the band and invite their responses in return. But yes, the quick answer is, Bob, I read music and wrote music in the for bo that period of forty odd years in my professional life.
Speaker 1: Okay, paint the picture of what it's like in the fifties growing up. I'm a little younger than you. I'm growing up in the United States. We always hear about a war hangover sort of life being in black and white. Was that what it's like or is that an inaccurate description?
Speaker 2: The quick answer is that's accurate to paint a broader picture. I was born in nineteen forty six. My grandfather was in the Marines and in Gallipoli. My uncle Bill was in the Air Force and was shot down in October nineteen thirty nine and spent the next five years and seven months in a twelve German prisoner of war camps, including Stalagluff three, where he was one of the logistics people planning the Great Escape. He was a navigator. His pilot was one of those who escaped and was caught and shot. So Uncle Bill refused to speak about his war years for fifty years, and then fifty years later he would begin to respond. Uncle Bill was a close presence in my life growing up and that was a real time for me. One generation removed, but growing up in England, it was the time of austerity. For example, in when I was three in nineteen forty nine, sweet rationing was abandoned for three months and then it was reinstituted. And I remember on a Saturday when we go to the cinema with my father, my sister and myself, we would stuff off and buy a shillings worst of sweets on the way to the cinema, but it would be ration based. And I remember the first time rationing came off in nineteen forty nine. I was three and running around in the attic of our home in corf Mullen and I ran over the open trap door and fell down from the attic with a big crump on the landing below. And I was in bed when my sister went to have her ration free suites for the first time. So yeah, growing up in the fifties, not that at that age I was aware of any constructions. It was the life we had. But after the event I could look back and say austerity and my parents working class lives continued, and to some extent today continues on. My mother was the daughter of a Welsh miner who died one long night at his age of fifty nine I believe it was I believe it was nineteen forty eight or nine. He died one long night, wheezing his life of way from his punctured lungs. He had a wooden leg because working down the mine at the Six Bells Colliery, he'd got trapped on the pulley taking coal into the crusher and one of his legs went into the coal crusher and one of his mining pals pulled him off, and my grandmother, Gladys Louise Green, her hair turned white in a week, not knowing whether her husband would live or die. My father, at age sixteen, was told to leave school because he needed to help bring money into the family to help support his five brothers and sisters. So that's my background. I was brought up with complete confidence that I would succeed. Why because both my sister and myself knew that we would succeed because we would work. We would work until we would succeed. In other words, this is a classic Protestant work ethic inculcated into us by our parents who had done the same. We were brought up to be independent and to work. So when I went to London in September nineteen sixty seven, I knew I would succeed because I would work. However, I did not anticipate that my professional success would be a public success. I thought it more likely that I would, for example, end up in sessions. It never occurred to me that I would personally become well known.
Speaker 1: Okay, in the US, we had the folk boom of the early sixties and a lot of people got nylon string guitars, and then the Beatles hit in the beginning of sixty four and seemingly everybody got an electric guitar. Why was everybody picking up the guitar in England in nineteen fifty seven, Because it's not only you, there are a lot of other legendary players. What was going on was the guitar hip. It's like, why did you want to play the guitar? Wor other people playing the guitar, or what you heard on the radio? What was the motivation?
Speaker 2: All right, you're explaining, you're asking me to explain the zeitgeist. I can't quite do that. Why music would reach over and express itself through popular culture in such a way that it brought a generation together with the conviction that music will change the world. The cultural context would be In the mid nineteen fifties is a movement in England called skiffle. One of the pivotal characters, very important character, was Chris Barber. And you would have a skiffle group which was probably derived from Woody Guthrie and other American folk heroes through an English perspective, but you would have a tea chest and a broom poll and a piece of string that would be your base. You would have a scrubbing board for rhythm, played with thumbnail what is it, David thumbnails from sewing, yes, finger finger protectors from sewing, and you would have perhaps number three guitarists thimbles, Thank you thimbles, And that was the basic. Then Lonnie Donoghan was a character who also came out of this same background, very popular, and then it became more sophisticated as Bob Dylan became more familiar in England, and then it moved on to electricity. Electricity for me nineteen fifty seven, fifty six fifty seven, Elvis, I mean, Scottymore what a player. He was the first guitarist who made me think, yeah, Chuck Berry, Yeah, But we shouldn't forget Muddy Waters in Chicago, Plugging in a Bank nineteen forty seven, forty eight, which was the precursor to all of this. Would you go back much further than that, I'm sure you could, but really I think the beginning of it would probably be forty seven forty eight were Muddy Rocks a in Chicago? Then move forward to the Beatles, who are also looking primarily in American direction. When they begin. But something else was going on with Beatles For me, the last example of communal genius in popular music. Something astonishing. And when I heard A Day in the Life in nineteen sixty six, sixty seven, sixty seven, that reunt he had reoriented the direction of my life. Instead of going onto university in taking a degree in the state management to become a partner in my father's auctioneering and the state agency firm in Wimborne, Dorset, I had to go to music. Why in the same way that I recognized my wife, At these pivotal moments in our life, we recognize this is for me, it has to be and if we can't recognize it, then something's off. Why can't we recognize what is obvious? Well, fortunately, I think my instincts were good.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're in the UK. The Beatles hit in the UK in sixty two, needless to say, they're playing in the late fifties. Do you feel a burgeoning rock and roll scene? You know, Liverpool was revered in the US, but it's not a super classy looked upon finally city in the UK to what the gwed Did you feel a burgeoning scene or did you just turn on the radio one day and heard love Me Do.
Speaker 2: Well. I remember hearing Love Me Do on the radio about sixty two three, and it didn't it didn't quite do it for me. For me, it wasn't the strongest song. I was in what were called bait groups at the time.
Speaker 1: Well a little bit, a little bit slower, a little bit slower. You get a guitar, you're going for lessons, what point do you decide to join a band and play out? And how does that happen?
Speaker 2: Fourteen stroke fifteen and why? Because my guitar teacher, Don Strike said, you're at the point where you need to be in a band, you need to work with other musicians. So age fourteen turning fifteen, I was in my first beat group called the Ravens, and Gordon Haskell was another one of those players. I remember on the grammar school playing field while we would throw in discus, he turned to me and said, hey, mush, if I bear buy a bass, can I join your band? And I said yes. So that was our first band. And then that stopped because I was taking my school examinations which were then called O levels, and then at a seventeen beginning eighteen, I was in my second beat group also with Gordon House School, called the League of Gentlemen, and that was a more mature expression. We would do covers for example, we would do Beatles covers for Seasons covers. We would do guitar instrumentals of the day like Orange Blossom Special for example. Because I was quite to developed guitarist for my age, we could take on guitar guitar pieces that not many semi pro bands could do. That went on until I was about eighteen nineteen, and at that point I needed to take a levels to go on to university so I could become a partner my father's firm, and I paid my way through college by being a guitarist in the Majestic Hotel Jewish Hotel on Born's East Coast, where a young guitarist called Andy Summers went on to London with Zoot Money's Big Role band that became the citedentlic Dantallion's Chariot before Andy went off to the West Coast with Eric Burden and the Animals. So Andy went off to London and I took over the guitar chair for the next two and a half three years until I went to London and moved to it Monee and failure for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: So you're going to university. Did you finish university?
Speaker 2: I didn't even begin. I went up to university and took my interview. I took my A levels, the next standard in school examinations at two weeks notice, and had a nay in economics being economic history, which was sufficiently good to get me accepted. I even have my digs booked. And then I heard A Day in the Life and Hendrix, Foxy Lady, Purple Hayes, Eric Clapton with the Blues Breakers, the Bartok String Quartets, Stravinsky, Wright of Spring, and I could no longer be the dutiful son. I was being redirected in life. I went with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you decide to go to London. Do you know somebody in London? Where are you gonna stay? Do you have any work opportunities?
Speaker 2: The quick answer to all of those questions is no. However, in Bournemouth there were the Giles brothers, Michael and Peter Giles and the They had just left a band called Trendsetters Limited. They were professionals. Peter was two years older than me, Michael was four years older than me, and when you're twenty one, that's very big. I became a professional musician on May the sixteenth, nineteen sixty seven, my twenty first birthday, and then became available for work. And Michael and Peter Giles were advertising for a singing organist. I was tipped off to this by a local agent in Bournemouth, so I went an auditioned, and although I can't sing and don't play organ I spent a month rehearsing with them. And after a month I said to Michael Giles, and I thought humorously, I said, have I passed the audition? Well, I mean the answer to that is clearly yes, but not if you're asking Michael Giles, because Michael's key characteristic is that Michael could never commit himself. So Michael rolled himself a cigarette and looked down and put the cigarette in his mouth and writ it and said, let's not be in too great a hurry to commit ourselves to each other. So, although I never learned whether I passed the audition or not, we moved to London in September. September, I think we might have moved a month or two earlier because I had got US a job working in La Dulta, not an Italian restaurant with Douglas Ward, a cord of Vox accordion player backing an Italian singer called Moreno. But we're now shooting off on entirely tangential situations. But yes, I moved to London with two people who had more experience than me. We moved up to essentially unemployment inignoranty for a year or two. We did have employment. We began, I believe, on the Monday, and on the Thursday, we discovered that the agent was ripping off ten pounds a week from our pay packet, and we went on strike on the Friday in protest, and we were sacked on the Saturday. And I was unemployed for the next year or so.
Speaker 1: Okay, but one can, because this is something we're not familiar with in the US, but one can live on the doll on unemployment and exist for that year.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's the quick answer. I lived on what was called supplementary benefit, which meant on a Friday I would drive with Peter Giles in his nineteen fifty two Daimler. It was a heap, but nevertheless, it would take us as far as the Supplementary Benefits Office at Downshall Hill in Hampstead, where we would get opelieve it was five pounds, which would decounter fairly modest, not to say miserable existence. So on a Monday I had the choice of whether to buy an extra can of peas or half an ounce of Golden Virginia rolling tobacco or old Holbury rolling tobacco, or go up to Kilburn State Cinema where I could see a film. So this was my choice on a Monday evening, can of peas and eat more golden Holburn, roll some more cigarettes or two or three see a film. That was my life for about a year.
Speaker 1: So then what happened after that year?
Speaker 2: After that Ian McDonald came together with Charles J and Frip. One of the giants fell out and another person called Greg Lake came in. And Ian McDonald had an uncle called Angus Hunking, who was a retired very successful industrialist from the North of England, very good man who to keep his second wife happy, he invested seven thousand pounds in his wife's nephew in McDonald's band, which enabled us to stay afloat for a period of time and to buy equipment, which is what we did, and this was the beginning of King Crimson.
Speaker 1: Okay, during the year that you're on the doll, what is your musical situation? Is that when this band is forming or you playing other bands, what's going on during that year?
Speaker 2: During that year I practiced two for six, eight, ten twelve hours a day. Why because a sessional, professional musician doesn't have the time to practice. May I say that I have been mostly an exception to that, but that's another story. During the time Charles, Charles and Fritt were living in Ignominy from the late sixty seven into nineteen sixty eight, we made demos in our modest accommodations at ninety three A Brondersbury Road, Kilburn, and we secured a record deal with d RAM that's a branch of Decca Records. And the person we spoke to at Decca Records is a famous character who turned down the Beatles, Dick Rowe. That was the man we met at d RAM. He's also the A and R man that persuaded Leta Rosa to record how Much is that Doggie in the Window? Which she hated and was bullied and pushed into doing it, and only ever sung at once the one take of how Much is that Doggie in the Window, which was a massive hit for her that she refused ever to sing live now in case you think I'm just witchering on bob Leta Rosa was a cabaret at the Majestic Hotel and at age nineteen, I accompanied her. Wow, so well, we recognize life is a circle. We cannot escape our circle anyway. Coming back, so the one year of Charles charleson Tripp Poverty Enigma. Andy was essentially getting a record deal and making a record which in its first year of relief worldwide attracted I believe four hundred seals.
Speaker 1: Okay, a raging success. So how does that evolve into King Crimson?
Speaker 2: That's an interesting one. Probably Charles Jars and Fripp's only public I'm not sure is that success. But meanwhile Ian McDonald had joined Charles, Charles and Fripp. I'll cut straight in. So Charles Jarsonphrip was now a four piece. We through a professional connection that the Charles brothers had, we did a thirty minute television show called Color Me Pop on BBC two television in England, which would broadcast I believe in November nineteen sixty eight, Charles Jons Fripp kind of broke up on the same day or night of release. It was fairly obvious to me that Charles Charson Frip and Ian McDonald had no chance whatsoever a professional success. So I put it to the other members of the band. Look, I don't feel I can continue working with Peter, but I have a pal in Bournemouth who sings, plays guitar and plays bass, Greg Lake, and he can replace either myself or Peter, whatever you feel. And Ian MacDonald and Michael Giles figured that no, it was probably better moving forward that I stay in Peter leave, which is what happened. And Greg Lake moved from Bournemouth to London and had nowhere to live. And for the first three days of Greg being in London he slept in bed with me, my four foot six modest bed in our modest accommodations. Before we got an apartment or pad as it would be called back then, be caught a pad together off off West Point Grove.
Speaker 1: How did you know Greg Lake and what was his status and how much hunger did he have before you picked him from obscurity?
Speaker 2: Well, Greg was at that time probably more successful than we were. But to go back, Greg was one of the young players on the Bournemouth pool music scene as I was. He was a couple of years younger than me. And I've mentioned the Seller Club earlier. Well, I would climb over the wall of the Cellar Club and get in, which I did, and I was at Greg Lake's band. The name currently escapes me because I'm talking too much, but I saw them doing. An addition, we were young characters the same age, young teenage boys with g and music. We became very very close, as young young characters do. I went to London, I stayed in touch with Greg. Greg joined the bank called the Gods, who had Ken Hensley, who went on to Uriah, and we stayed in touch, good pals, And when Peter was leaving, I was in touch with Greg and said would you like to come to London. It was fairly obvious that Greg was a lifer in music. You know, you recognize each other. We're not here as a lifestyle, We're here because this is what we do. And it was fairly obvious to anyone in Bonemouth at the time that Greg was one of those characters who would succeed.
Speaker 1: Okay, how do you get a manager and a record deal for King Crimson.
Speaker 2: Through the connection with d Ram. They knew Noel Gay. Noel Gay's background was in publishing, but they also had management. Since Charles, Charles and Fripp were a new artist on the d RAM label, we needed management. So they were in touch with Noel Gay, who took on Charles, Charles and Fripp. And two young characters working at Noel Gay were David Anthoven and John Gayden who were just about to go independent. So this was EG Management who split off from Noel Gay and took King Crimson Charles, Charles and Fripp, becoming King Crimson with them, which became a legal issue because Noel Gay. When King Crimson suddenly had this remarkably successful first album, Noel Gay said, but hey, Noel Gay manages King Crimson, not EG Management. So a settlement was made by Wichie. Noel Gay received I think two percent in the court of Crimson King for a year or two. So you had Entoven and Gayden, a new generation management firm managing King Crimson, who were therefore available for a new record deal.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, and I think if I remember rightly, they became excited because they saw the TV show that you mentioned earlier. I believe so, yes, because they weren't aware really of what Charles Jars and Fripp were doing, and they saw that TV shows that the main thing that served was that those who saw it and then decided they wanted to manage you.
Speaker 2: Yes, well. On January the thirteenth, nineteen sixty nine, King Crimson, who then didn't quite have a name, nevertheless began began rehearsing in the basement of the Fulham Palace Cafe in Fulham Fulham Palace Road. Why because we had taken of the seven thousand pounds which Angers Hunking had generously lent us. It wasn't a gift, it was alone that he never ever believed in his wildest dreams we would repay. But nevertheless, if it kept his wife happy, then he'd do it. So armed with our new equipment and money to pay rent on our rehearsal room, we began rehearsing. And what we would do is invite people down to see us. And of the two of the first people to come down to see us, after I believe ten days rehearsal ent over in the Gaden, and they thought, yeah, this is good. And they went away and they came back, and the second time they came back, they realized this isn't a good band, this is something else. And we established the convention of inviting people down to see us. For example, the Moody Blues came down to see us and we played for them, and Tony Clark, their record producer, and then with various record companies taking an interest, Chris Blackwell of Island Records sent down Muff Winwood to see us. And Muff Winwood was the brother of Steve Winwood, who I believe we probably know well. And Muff Windwood was utterly unable to see what was in front of him, and he remarked, went over and Gaydon, they're like the Tremlers, who were an excellent band, but very unlike King Crimson. And he said to us, you have no image. You won't be able to work live unless you have a hit single. So he went back to Chris Blackwell and said what I've just said, and Chris Blackwell, I wasn't in the room, but I think the response that I've received is something like you said what And for me, I have all always taken After that, Muff Windwood is a reliable direction to the way to move in life. So if Muff points that way, I go that way. He established a standard for me, so anyway other characters would come down and essentially on the basis of those performances in a very small basement of a Fulham Palace cafe, that established our beginning. From this the connections were made. We did a week in Changes, a club in Newcastle had just opened a Bank February of nineteen sixty nine, which had been booked on the basis of Charles Charles and Fripp Calumy Pop Show. But the first King Crimson live performance was in April nineteen sixty nine at the Speakeasy Club, which was something of a defining performance.
Speaker 1: But how do you ultimately get a record deal and make that record.
Speaker 2: Different record companies made different offers. Mercury Records, I believe, offered three hundred and fifty thousand pounds at the time, which was huge Island Records in England because Entopen and Gayden and the band felt this was the right the right label, young generation label for US and in America Atlantic Records Arma Ertigan Arma Ertigan flew to London, I believe it may have been the second or third Speakeasy performance. He flew to England to see the band and make a personal connection to get us for Atlantic respect mister Ertigan, which he did. So we had the record, the record deal Island Records in England, Atlantic in America, and we made the record in seven days and one for final mixing. Ah, I'd have to check the timeline, but that was probably around July August. We had a week in Morgan Studios which didn't work at all with Tony Clark, the Moody Blues producer. He he didn't see or hear us quite So the band make made a choice in principle that we would rather make our own mistakes and produce ourselves than have a successful, well known, established producer who couldn't quite see what we were. So those tapes were abandoned and then we moved into Wessex Studios in North London, near Islington, where we made in the Court of the Crimson King very quickly.
Speaker 3: Well, very quickly. It's interesting because it actually happened the other way around. They made the record first, because in fact David Entoven funded the record and if I'm right, Roberts, yes, he did so that rather than getting the record deal and then then paying for the record, the management actually paid for the record and then licensed the record to the various record labels.
Speaker 2: Yes, David Entaven took out a mortgage on his news property twenty two peters from place I believe, in order to get in order to get funds. So I tell you this is this is a long story. But what I'm going to do, Bob, is leave you talking to David while I take a quick bathroom break and I'll be right there.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you this I was going to ask Kim. I mean, at first with the Tony Clark usually when a label makes a record, it's very hard to convince him to throw that project away. But I guess since the managers were selling the record, they didn't really you know, they needed to get it right.
Speaker 3: So yes, the as I said, the record fortunately in fact, was funded by the by the management, not by the record label. When Tony Clark produced it, they thought they were going to put it out on the Moody Blues label. They just started a label, and the Moody Blues were thinking of putting out the record as produced by Tony Clark. They went into Morgan Studios with Tony Clark, and there was at least a week of that they recorded most of the same pieces, and then the band decided this wasn't going anywhere. We've actually released, fortunately because the management paid for we have subsequently released those recordings that they were owned by King Crimson. But I have the diaries of David Enthoven and it was a huge shock because they were funding this record. I think these were these were people with astonishing belief in the band they had because literally, you know, the band came along and said, we want to throw away this recording that we just made with this very reputable producer because we don't like it and we'd like to do it again. And David had to go and then mortgage his house in order to throw away those recordings and say, okay, we're going to do it again and even work well, it's maybe worse from his point of view on the band, and we're now going to produce ourselves because we don't think anybody can produce it properly. Astonishing faith he showed. And therefore and they went back into the studio producing themselves, and that's the record that everybody now knows.
Speaker 1: So with hindsight, do you believe the Tony Clark record would have been successful.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't have been King Crimson. So if you listen to it, it doesn't sound it doesn't really sound like King Crimson. It sounds like some strange morephing of King Crimson and the Moody Blues. It's much softer around the edges, much more.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I don't think it might have been successful. It wouldn't have been the astonishing success that the final record was. It wouldn't have been iconic. It wouldn't have been iconic and hugely different in the same way that in the course of Crimson King is. It would have been much more of a something that was perfectly pleasant. But I don't think it would have changed the world in the same way the Robert always records it was that the piece I talked to the wind. I think he was made to sit there and play that guitar part about twenty times. And oddly enough, I'd done an interview with Robert and he had told me this story.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if I believe it bout we were there all night, David. I was going on and on and on, and he was saying, play it again, play it again. I don't like it, Yes, play it again, play it again, and he said. We began to get more and more fractious, and we were more and more rude back down the talk back to this producer, and oddly enough I then found some tapes quite recently, only a couple of years ago. I found some tapes, and I was listening to these tapes, not knowing what they were, and I heard this take of I talked to the Wind going on and on, and then I heard Robert and Ian McDonald getting rather direct with the producer, and I realized that I had found this recording that Robert had been telling me out for years, and here it was, and I finally had found it and could listen to it, and so we released it in for the fiftieth anniversary of in the course of the Crimson King. I don't know if you know, but recordings that are unreleased fall out of copyright if they've not been released within fifty.
Speaker 1: Years in the UK anyway, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, So when we found those recordings, we realized that we needed to release them all with the fiftieth years. So for the fiftieth anniversary of the album, we put out all the sessions, including these rather the endless Morgan Studios recordings. If I talked to the.
Speaker 1: Wind from the perspective of the consumer, the listener in the court of the Crimson King was an instant smash. Was that your perception or what were your feelings of time?
Speaker 2: Oh? Right? Firstly, if I may, I would draw a distinction between a listener or audience or auditor and the consumer or customer. Going right back. Then, the band immediately was hugely successful live, hugely. It became the band of the time, and the only band that Ian McDonald considered Blue King Crimson Off the stage was Free. We worked with them in Red Car in the middle nineteen sixty nine. Free were phenomenal. Coss Off what a player, Rogers, what a singer. But essentially when we came on stage it was almost impossible to follow us. We were an astonishing band, astonishing band, and the album when it was released, it was already primed. The word was on the street. The turning point in terms of numbers and public attention was probably the Hyde Park Festival with the Rolling Stones in nineteen sixty nine. They were about six hundred and fifty thousand people there. So at the time, if you're not going to have success through mainstream media, television and radio, how will you reach a huge number of people. Well, the answer was live festivals, which are often free festivals, and Hyde Park in July nineteen sixty nine was the opportunity for the Rolling Stones to come back into live performance after a break. And the story of EG getting us onto the roster is a story in itself, but we were probably the hit of that particular show and what was known within the industry and club level grassroots suddenly moved out. All the young Americans in Hyde Park went back to America with the word, young hippies from Europe went back to Europe with the word. And then in the end of November nineteen sixty nine in America, we played the West Palm Beach Festival three day festival, also with the Stones. It broke King Crimson and Grand Funk Railroad in America. So at that point that the grassroots the word has moved out big time.
Speaker 1: Okay, So coming from England, what was your personal experience of being in the US.
Speaker 2: One of liberation England was poor. America was wide open. I mean America in the fifties and sixties. This was the American time. It changed into the seventies and onwards. The particular change from America from sixty nine to seventy seventy one was probably the huge success of rock music and records. The growth industry in America from sixty eight to seventy eight was in the record industry, with I think four billion dollars generated, which now wouldn't say much, but that back then was quite considerable. And when the young English bands began touring America essentially about sixty eight and into sixty nine, the music industry, certainly in its live aspects was not quite professional. For example, King Crimson would land in America in October nineteen sixty nine and the tool wasn't set up. Why well, you had a few club gigs here there, and Frank Barcelona, a key figure in establishing English rock music in America, premiere talent hid fillin shows along the way, so Hendricks would. But nineteen six to eight land in America, play New York one night, Los Angeles the next. I'm exaggerating, but in principal too, David Bowie, the same King Crimson. We had a more measured progression, but it certainly wasn't set up. But then when the money began to come in, you moved from clubs and you move from the film alls into sports stadium. And with the shift in commerce, there was a shift in the attitude towards the musician, so speaking in general terms, from say sixty nine to seventy seven. When I moved to New York in February seventy seven. In nineteen sixty nine, the differential, the separation between audience and musician, there wasn't one. For me, it was fluid. We were all on the same side. We were all there to be part of this changing the world with music. That was my perspective. And I don't believe Peter Simfield said to me as a criticism, you were never a hippie, So this isn't an old hippie wittering on. This is my experience. But increasingly, and this began to change around seventy four, the young roppers at person on stage is now separated from a member of the audience and from the young music writers who began to develop an attitude which in America was reflect perhaps with Lester Bangs for example, but in England in nineteen seventy six or seventy seven. My sense of being on stage was who the fuck do you think you are? Very English attitude, whereas walking on the street newly arrived in New York in nineteen seventy seven, the young character will come up and say, hey, frip what you're doing? There was one of the couragement and support which I found lacking in England. So increasingly my orientation in terms of a geographical area which has my focus from nineteen seventy three, switched to the US from England, stroke England Europe. Why because it was possible and supported by the audience and the industry, and the industry because money was involved in the audience, because there was something real in the music, that's my perception. And King Crimson at this time didn't quite fit in. We weren't mainstream rock. We we played with Zzy Top in Denver, I believe in nineteen seventy four, and someone pulled the plug on us, pulled the power on us, and twenty minutes into our set we went blank. Someone didn't like what we were doing. Recent press has suggested that I've been blaming Billy Gibbons for this nonsense. Billy Gibbons has my full respect and easy top for a fabulous band, But nevertheless, what became known as progressive rock and progue did have some antipathy.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk business for a minute. The record is licensed to Island in Atlantic. Who owns all that stuff today?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: How did you end up owning it.
Speaker 2: Twenty one years of litigation and dispute which is ongoing?
Speaker 1: What is still ongoing.
Speaker 2: Litigation and dispute over who owns the copyrights and who is therefore entitled to assign them to whomever they dispose?
Speaker 1: Okay, you've had a fifty plus year career. What do you not own recording wise? Or what is in litigation recordings wise?
Speaker 2: Let's speak about this in June of this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me change the question. The business is much more sophisticated with a much more information today, irrelevant of the ownership of the copyrights in the recordings, in the songs you're busy rehearsing performing. I can't believe your eye was on business that much. Do you feel that you were ripped off in these rough and tumble years.
Speaker 2: Well, the answer has to be yes, and I can give you a detailed analysis virtually month by month, week by week, and day by day. Why because I still have the correspondence. But if we go back to nineteen sixty nine when we began our relationship with Entoven, Gayden, John and Gaydon as a YouTube interview where he is describing how the young Robert Fripp explained to him upon which the relationship between EG and King Crimson would develop, which was shared interest seventy thirty copyright ownership between King Crimson and EG Management. And this was all fine and went on until I believe it was February the twenty sixth, nineteen seventy six, when Enthoven and Sam Alder, who went into EG towards about October November nineteen seventy chartered accountant as a backroom boy to take care of the accountancy and the stuff stuff. But Sam Older lied, He came and he lied, and he said that the members of King Crimson had to assign the copyright interest to EG so that we could get our money. Essentially, this was a lie, and it was a lie which had to be challenged in nineteen ninety one when the obfuscation came to a head when EG sold King Crimson copyrights to BMG Music Publishing and Virgin Records. At that point, the beginning of my first major involvement in litigation and dispute for six years and seven months from ninety one to ninety seven began. It's been ongoing to date and has been probably more attracting of my attention than my musical life, and even more of that has fallen on David and decland Colgan of Panegyric Records are distributor. But back in the early days, what I did was set up the structure and left it to management I trusted and should not have done. And that's another story as to why I did and should not have and when finally it went off course for various reasons, I had to give it my full attention.
Speaker 1: Okay, litigation is very expensive and it takes time and its heartache. Is this about the money or is this about equity? What is right.
Speaker 2: Both? For example, two members of the original King Crimson have died not being paid the money there owed. There are two more members of their first King Crimson, and not in great health. I certainly hope they're paid before eventity they do fly away.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 2: I'm in great health. I do dead weights of one hundred kilograms, which from men of seventy seven isn't bad. And I am going to live long enough to make sure these fuck wits in the music industry hand over what we're out.
Speaker 1: Let's say, hypothetically you're victorious across the board. Let's say you end up owning all of these rights.
Speaker 2: No, I already own them. Let's say we're being a paid for the David over to ye.
Speaker 3: Yes, so the ownership is not in dispute. So following the dispute that Robert has talked about in the early nineties, certainly in terms of the recordings, it was finally agreed that, in fact, what was agreed was that the rights that Virgin Records thought they had obtained they would keep for ten years and then they return them to Robert. So in the early two thousands, the rights and the recordings were definitively assigned to Robert. The problem has been that periodically things get licensed in by major labels in various different ways, and you don't get always get it paid according to those contracts. That is ongoing.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the lawsuit that we read about about placing certain songs on streaming services, those are the lawsuits we're referring to.
Speaker 3: That's a lidic yes, yes, and that one is that one unfortunately is sub judices. So until May, we're not talking a lot about that one.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay. So going back, you're Robert, you own this stuff? Would you ever sell it yourself?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: You have nowhears and some may say, well, Robert not going to live forever if they pay you twenty Actually the money would be here today. What would you say to that?
Speaker 2: I'd saying, my inheritor in all the copyrights is David Singleton. That's in my will. Why because I trust David to execute his responsibilities towards the catalog as I trust that I have done.
Speaker 3: And I think our view is that Robert owns those copyright He does in fact own them personally, but I think Robert owns those copyrights on behalf of all the musicians.
Speaker 2: That is correct, Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: In the film about King Crimson, one of the players mentions that you wash your hands twenty times a day. What would you say to that?
Speaker 2: I was surprised when I heard that. Going back to when I was working with Jamie Mirror in nineteen seventy two into early seventy three. I don't believe I had a hand washing fetish. However, what I've always been very careful to do when I put a guitar on and I play guitar, I must have clean hands. I don't want. I don't want stickiness from picking up cakes, for example, or buttered toast to be transferred to the strings. So at that particular time, would I wash my hands before playing guitar. Yes, I didn't recognize that I have a hand washing fetish, which I certainly don't today. But nevertheless, Jamie Muhror is a person I respect and I trust his opinion, and if Jamie felt that I was an annual fetishist of some kind, then I would certainly give some credence to his opinion. Actually, if I am convinced there's no date most people in the world are, is that FIP is very very fucked up in the creepy person.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's say I say, Robert, we'll go into the airport and we go, we get in the car, we've left your house. Are you going to say, fuck, I forgot to lock the front door or I left the stove on. Is that part of your personality or those wouldn't even occur to you.
Speaker 2: They might occur to me, but I am not obsessive compulsive. That's my view. We'd have to ask my wife, and my wife wife say, yes.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 2: He's really he's very strange person. Well, actually he does say that. What I would do if I felt is there a likely chance that I've left my front door unlocked? I would check the keys in my purse. I would then if I couldn't find them, I would found my wife and say, ah, have is the front door lock? Or I would say our personal secretary to say if she would check the front door, I called Mark Axel Powell are superb building person and ask him to check it. What I would not do is throw a moody fit and in sayst we drive back thirty miles to the front door.
Speaker 1: Okay. OCD can be very debilitating emotionally. One can be tortured by these thoughts and repetitions. So would your wife say that your need to rehearse every day and to get certain things right or excessive or she would say, no, that's not excessive.
Speaker 2: Well, my wife is an actress, musician, and performer and understands partecular on the stage. Play, for example, the amount of rehearsing you have to do. So my wife might say here, very strange, but I don't think she would query my need to know. I'm walking on stage with musicians who were rehearsed and practiced to play, except the play Olympics standard challenges for a musician.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say she might.
Speaker 2: She might.
Speaker 3: She might ask you to practice Fracture where she doesn't have to listen to it.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, Now, when King Crimson were reforming in twenty thirteen for twenty fourteen the Final Incarnation, ID go into the cellar of our home and I would practice and practice and practice to play this piece called Fracture, which is unplayable. It's technically of such a standard is taken fifty years really for other guitarists to approach. It's horrible. And my wife had enough of this, and I used to have to go down to the cellar and lock the door of the cellar because it's a very old door, and would fly open and turn my guitar amp little, very small practice, turn it down so she could no longer hear this motor perpetro going on for two hours. As I we'd come up to speed.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, tell us a little bit more specifically what the practice entails at.
Speaker 2: Different parts in our musical life. The emphasis changes. If I can quote Charlie Parker, and frankly, I think all of us should accept Parker's advice. You learn your instrument, you learn the music, and then you forget all this Parker said, chit and then you just play. So at different parts of our musical life, to begin with, we're practicing the instrument, how to play the instrument, how on the guitar, the left and the ro hand work together, fingerboard knowledge, musical knowledge, then harmony, rhythm, how the hands come together with fingerboard and musical knowledge, and then learning the repertoire that we're engaging with. In terms of practicing improvisation, throw it away, sit down, without thought, play, have fun, and a very good professional musician often needs to be reminded. Have fun, abandoned concern for right, wrong or anything else. Let's remember the bird, play, just play. So in the in the incarnation period twenty fourteen twenty one, my primary address for practicing is the Calisenic side of it. We'll assume that I've learned the rudiments of music assume that I know that I'm learned the repertoire, which is King crimson repertoire. The challenge is, as a man in his late sixties and early seventies, is he able to perform at an athletic level at the degree of a man of twenty five? And the answer is no. So my primary practicing area for the final incarnation of King Crimson was how to be calisenically reliable. If you take the analogy of an athlete, an Olympic quality athlete, these are the challenges. Can you expect an Olympic athlete age seventy to do what they were doing at twenty three or twenty five? And if the answer is reliably no, what does that athlete at that age have to do in order to meet the challenge? And that was my question and my response was constant calisenic practicing.
Speaker 1: Okay, you don't have the athleticism of a younger man, but do you believe the end quality of what you're producing is improved with age for some reason because of wisdom and the other stylistic elements.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't claim wisdom, but I am happy to say I have a lot more experience and does that support me when I walk on stage, And I would say yes, and why because when I walk on stage, I know, without any doubt whatsoever, music is there and it is available. It never ever goes away. Do I know that for a fact? Yes? Do I know that for certainty? Yes? How because I've paid my joes as a professional musician now for fifty seven years. What I also know is music doesn't go away. Music is always present. But I am not. So my focus is not on the music, which I trust. My focus on whether I can be present. That is, can I rely upon myself to walk on stage and whatever horseshit is thrown at me? Can I hold myself in the place for at least the duration of the performance. And the answer to that is mostly yes. But they are except situations that defeat me even today.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is your opinion of live versus recordings? Recordings are permanent in performances or evanescent.
Speaker 2: For me, music is in life. It's like gardening. If you're not there when the rose blossoms, it's gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can take a photo of it and put it out on my computer. I think, Oh, wasn't that a nice rose? But it's not there and the scent when you're there in the moment and it's real, but it won't stay. What might stay is the quality of my experiencing in such a way that I may return to that moment in my experience and access it again. And that only is possible if I am present. I'm present here now, inside my body, my experiencing, my feelings and with the rose. So for me, live performance is a hot date and a record is a love letter. Now, I love getting letters from my wife, but I would rather take her in a tight embrace.
Speaker 1: So recordings, in even recordings of live performances, are what you leave behind. To what degree are you concerned with legacy?
Speaker 2: Well, if I said, off the top of my head, I don't give a flying fuck, I would then have to say, then, why is it that DGM from approximately nineteen ninety five to twenty fifteen made the focal point of its existence in securing the archive? And why then will we release as close definitive editions of all King Crimson's life recorded music as we possibly can. Well, I'd have to say that I keep my wife's love letters. I would still rather have a hot date with her, But I still keep the love letters. So we still have love letters from King Crimson to any members of the audience, for those who didn't manage to get on a hot day and for those that did.
Speaker 1: Let's say you're performing live and we started with this. I have sat with acts very depressed after a show, feeling they gave a bad performance when the audience has loved it with raaging response. What is the goal of the gig? Is it about the communication with the audience and the response in the audience or is the audience separate and is it about getting the music performed perfectly.
Speaker 2: I'll respond to that tangentially. Bob the musician can only ever say I felt that was a good show. I felt that was a bad show. It's entirely subjective. It has no relevance. Listening to King Crimson's live recordings, there are performances which sound terrible but which I recall in the moment were astonishing for the band members the audience. This was an event, but the quality of that event did not allow itself to be contained or captured by the recording of it. I have also heard live recordings that are stunning that from a position on stage, I thought this.
Speaker 1: This was.
Speaker 2: So in the live performance, what are the factors that make the event? Primarily three factors, the music, the musician, and the audience. If the three come together, something can happen. There is a fourth term which nevertheless has to be included, and that is the music industry, because if the music industry will not accept what you're doing, it's an extreme. It will bury you, as I believe English punk music was essentially buried in the American music industry in the late seventies. But in the live event itself, you have music, musicians and the audience. If the music is a live and vibrant the audience might miss it and the musicians might miss it, but perhap perhaps it manages to squeeze its way onto tape and going back there you have it. I will now have an example of David Singleton completely failing to understand a musical event that was going on. David, which broad short Church, Oh yeah, live live soundscapes? Was it two thousand and eight lunchtime performance in this church of soundscapes? And when I listened back to the music, there was some remarkable stuff going on. And yet at the time David was having a terrible time and thought it sucked. Is this true, David?
Speaker 3: It is true, and it's exactly the reverse of what you originally described. When I'm always surprised when going through the tapes listening and I say, this is what this is the show, this is a wonderful show, And many of the B members will say you must be completely wrong. That was a horrible gig. And exactly Robert's quite right that there I was in Broadchalk. It's a home gig for me. So this was in my local church, and I was surrounded there for by numerous other pressures, and so I wasn't present. And if you'd ask me afterwards, I remember thinking, oh god, that was a horrible event. And you listen back and the music was fabulous, all right.
Speaker 2: I have another example here too, which was at Church Escapes live in Estonia, which I believe in two thousand and six live performances there where I would walk on stage with no idea what to play, and even while playing it, having no idea what to play, and then forty minutes lating later, having no idea what to play, but holding myself in place, force myself to remain in place, and engaged with no joy whatsoever. But trusting the event, trusting the music, trusting the audience and continuing to play. And from the church scapes in Estonia, I'm thinking of even Song, particularly the performance. The performances had something of which at the time I was oblivious, but long experience and the developed practice and discipline the solo guitarist improvising away was able to keep himself plugged in and sitting on a guitar.
Speaker 1: Still, Okay, you did during lockdown. You're continuing this YouTube series with your wife, and I was looking at them, and you did a cover of Golden Earrings Radar Love. I always liked that song. If you'd ask me before I saw it, what I would say, What are the odds that Robert Trupp even knows that record? Okay? Now you mentioned not only English punk and how that attitude poop uh look down on the old players, say show me something, but you all say it was killed by the US record business. To what degree and you mentioned sting earlier? To what degree are you a student of the game? To what degree do you marinate in this? To what degree do you know this? Do you only do it for business purposes? Do you like this music?
Speaker 2: Tell me about this all right, well you don't now he saw on King Crimson's final performance in Central Park and New York. Was it July the first? Nineteen seventy four, David Yep. King Crimson's support act was Callden Ahring. No, I don't know that at there you are, and the drama would reliably leap out his kit at the big finale. Now, going back to Frank Barcelona of Premier Talent, what Frank would do. Frank Barcelona would do is put together astonishing combinations of acts that no one would believe would fit together on the same stage. So King Crimson Film nor Reast nineteen sixty nine, was it October November? Top of their bill. Joe Corker and the Grease Band second on the bill, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac third on the bill, King Crimson fourth on the bill, Voices of East Tarlan. They're moving into seventy one and seventy two and seventy three and seventy four other acts on the bill Black Oak Arkansas. Now you can kind of understand just King Crimson, Black Sabbath Joint Heading or King Crimson and Slade because they're both English bands, lackocarkinsall. I love them, Jim Dandy, what a great band, But not in the media. You think these two characters would be honest. Well, Golden Earing, where did that come from? I have no idea, but they were a great band in the field. Now, Golden Earrings manager was a man called Freddie Hine who went to take over Polydor Records in New York about nineteen seventy seven, at the time the EG Music left their licensees and moved to Polydor. So once again you have this remarkable circle of people you can't take out of your circle. So the manager of Golden ear Ring that was supporting King Crimson on our last performance in nineteen seventy four with Radar Love and so on, Toy and Robert cover Radar Love. Years later. There are a number of King Crimson fans who have publicly expressed some dissatisfaction with me performing with Toyer, and my comment to Mojo or Q magazine in twenty twenty two was I don't give a fuck. I am seventy six and this is my life now with my wife. My wife when Lockdown began was very insistent. Lockdown in Iowa Town in England at the time was terrifying, Bob, the fear was palpable. The only time we'd really come out on the street would be on a Thursday evening at six o'clock, when people would come out of their houses and on the step of the front door and clap and applaud to give acknowledgment, recognition and gratitude to first responders and the health services. So we'd look down the street and there would be our neighbors down the street and we would wave to them and across the square and back, and this was the only contact we had with our neighbors. And on occasion, because we're on the main route to ambulances six o'clock, an ambulance would come by by all the people on the street replauding them.
Speaker 1: Very moving.
Speaker 2: But it was a time of palpable fear. And my wife said to me, we're performers. We have a responsibility to people. We have a responsibility to keep the spirits up. So when my wife then gave me a two to two and point out down the garden to the river's edge at the end of our garden and said we are going to be dancing to Swan Lake, I took the tights. My wife's tights were a bit small on me. I can I can put in gently between frenzy. The tights were not comfortable, but my discomfiture was covered by the tutu. And we went down and we danced a swan lake and it moved.
Speaker 1: On from there.
Speaker 2: We began filming. I suppose you would call them covers. Uh. I think maybe some people think we were taking the piss, not at all.
Speaker 1: We are.
Speaker 2: Very respectful of the artists here who've generated these songs. And here I am playing a smoke on the water mister Blackmore's famous riff. I I am very respectful of this. Let's face, it's a classic riff. So when we move on to increasing numbers of covers and then in live performances this past year of classics, are you going to go my way? I mean the classic riff stunning and the solo breath taking, and then you move on to the newer artists. I mean, these are challenges for me to learn a repertoire with which I am not mostly familiar. Why because I was developing a King Crimson repertoire which eventually I became locked into. So here I was learning rock songs in the tuning I haven't used for thirty five years, doing my best to honor the original performers and the original intentions that gave live to the music, and much to our surprise, it took off. It was one of the two so called Internet sensations in the United Kingdom from Lockdown. The other one was Sophie Sophie Aspects, Yeah Kitchen Disco. She was the other one that really kicked in. So we eventually began to find something of another approach, which we we're maintaining. We do one We do one new song a month at the moment, plus access to our archive. I can't even remember all the songs we've covered, and we do our upbeat moments and the brief and the aim remains the same. We have a responsibility in challenging times to do what we can to support the spirits of our audience, good people out there. And some of the personal messages, some public, some personal we've received from people at their heartbreaking, the conditions of people locked up in small studio apartments in high rises while their mother is dying in hospital and they can't see them, and then they can't even get to the funeral while our prime minister in Downing Street is having parties. I mean, this is profoundly offensive, but we can't. We can only address what we can address, so we continue to do so.
Speaker 1: Okay, just diving a little deeper. You're a player and a composer. Are you also a fan? Like if I started, I'll give you an example. There was this being Charlie Terry Thomas who became a record Is this all the kind of stuff you know? Or these are just certain records that you know.
Speaker 2: Well, when I was on the road, it was flat out on the road, and the music we would get to hear would essentially be the other artist we're working with. And whereas when I first moved to London, you would have gatekeepers who would say you need to listen to this, and we still get this. My wife says you should listen to this, because my wife that keeps her fingers very much on the pulse of things. So my wife would say, listen to this and see if you think we can do a good thing with this. But I think probably our determining musical direction is really when we're younger, and for me, although I have been profoundly touched by recorded music, I still tend to be more attached to music I've seen live. Some exceptions obviously Beatles Day and The Life Hendrix. I didn't get to see Hendrix Life, although he did get to see King Crimson Life. Now say so, yes, I am connected to music through records, but for me, once again, really it's live. I have, for example, in our abbey over here, which has been standing since about eleven forty, I have been there listening to appalling concerts of semi pro symphony orchestras, watching the beat move outwards from the conductor to the edge of the large symphony orchestra, the tuning wavering as it went. But nevertheless, it has a power in the moment if we're able to be open to it. So yeah, not many leading rock bands come through our town, so I have to rely increasingly on YouTube and Spotify. But it's secondhand. So my wife makes her suggestions and I follow them. Is the quick answer.
Speaker 1: Okay, you reference the Prime Minister needless.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm I'm going to need a piss before we get into that one. All right, all right, back.
Speaker 1: Take another take another piss. So, David, you certainly know Robert extremely well. Is his talking and demeanor today typical of him? Or is it a typical.
Speaker 3: No, that's the man I know. Oddly enough, when I do interviews, the most common question is, I've been working with Robertsons nineteen eighty nine, I think, and you know, how have you spent that long working with this awful whatever perception they have of this man? And I always give the same answer, which is that I've never met that man. You know, I've never met the horrible man that people suggest. So I think because we have a very common aim, Robert and I think we we certainly in business together. We have a common aime. The music comes first, the art comes first. So I've never really met the irascable person that everybody talks about.
Speaker 1: Do you believe it's a misperception or you're in No.
Speaker 3: I know I've met enough people to know that it's not a misperception. And as Robert himself said, I think that when he said, I think if someone comes to him with a flea and in their ear, he'll send them back with two. I think that was where that was where this started, you know, several hours ago. So so I think if people have an attitude, you know, he will respond in kind. So no, I'm sure it's very, very real. But I've enjoyed working with him. We've been I said, We've been at it since nineteen eighty nine in various different ways, and we're still at it.
Speaker 1: And how did you meet him?
Speaker 3: I was working at a studio. I was producing a record in the studio in the town that he referred to at the beginning of twan Cranbourne in Dorset, that he'd used for working on King Crimson tracks, and Roberts sacked his sound engineer halfway through the tour and phoned up the studio owner to say, do you know someone who could step in at short notice? Who might be able to come out? And the studio owner came through and said, David, what are you doing in two weeks time? And I said, but I'm free, and he said, what do you fancy going out to America? So I flew out to Seattle to join Robert halfway through that tour, and I think I've worked on every single King Crimson release since then. So we literally we got on very well and have carried on ever since.
Speaker 1: So was it an instant bonding or did you have to earn his trust?
Speaker 3: No, it was it wasn't an instant bonding. I think I was. I was evidently instantly competent, so that side I think I was, because but you know, it works in stages. So the first at the first age, I was just a live sound engineer. He was actually recording Sunday all over the world with Toyer at the time. So immediately after that he asked me if i'd come and record Toyer's vocals on that record, which I did. We assembled the record, and I can remember at the time they were discussing running orders, saying, oh, well haven't you thought of this running order? It might work, and which was probably the beginning of when Robert someone begins to think, well your tastes, you know, trust your taste as opposed to simply your competence. And so no, it's a gradual process that went on over time, over years.
Speaker 2: What have I missed?
Speaker 3: David? He was asking how we came to work together. I was telling him about nineteen eighty nine flying out to do a Guitar Craft Court tour, and then I think I've worked on every recording that followed that. Immediately after that, I recorded Toyers vocals on Sunday all over the world, and then we did frame by frame, and in fact, I can tell you Robert's sense of humor doing frame by frame. I can recall this was the very first It was a four CD action of King Crimson, and Virgin Records phoned up Robert and said that they wanted a radio edit of twenty first century Schizoid Man. And I heard Robert on the phone saying, well, there isn't a three minute version of that track. And I said to Robert, of course there is, and he said why, and I said, well, I can remember what I thought when I very first heard that track, which was I like the first verse, I like the second verse, not sure what's happening in the middle, and I quite like the third verse, and a man with a sense of humor. Robert allowed me to make that edit and it got released, and I then learned that from Robert's perspective, I was hearing, in a sense, hearing the track completely upside down, because I think Robert would regard in many of these tracks, is you know that the beginning is a jumping off point for the middle in a sense, in a sense, that's the core of the track, Whereas I was hearing it completely the other way around.
Speaker 2: I trust David's sense of things above my own.
Speaker 1: Okay, you were going to give us a reading on the UK today.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that was what I was intending to do, Bob. What I would say is, at the moment, they would seem to be a lack of confidence in the power possessors and those who stand above us and nominally serve the interests of the populace. There seems to be a lack of accountability on behalf of those who have power in our lives. There's a huge structural breakdown, and part of that is utterly terrifying, and part of it is remarkably heartening, because if we believe that going back fifties sixty years, that our interest is in making a new world, then the old world has to give way for that to be possible. So what we're seeing as a structural breakdown might actually be a necessary precondition for a new world appearing. Nevertheless, along the way, let's face it is pretty bumpy. DGM has its statement the Ethical Business. The four pillars of the ethical business Honesty, responsibility, equity, goodwill. These are four very simple criteria for making a value judgment in terms of for example, our dealings with a record company. Are they honest? Are they responsible? Do they view us equitably? The good will involve? Then the answer to all four is now. But at least it gives us criteria that we can base a course of action upon. I think two thousand and eight and the rescue of the world's financial system exacerbated the profound inequality of which we're all pretty much aware nowadays. Was it necessary? Well, I think it was at least inevitable. So what do we do? In nineteen seventy four, after five or six years on the road as a professional working musician, I was in despair, sitting there in Putney, London, in despair at the madness.
Speaker 3: Of the world.
Speaker 2: The world is mad. Nowadays I sit here in my study in Middle England, and I think the world is mad. And I suppose if I lave myself, I could become despairing in strange and uncertain times. Sometimes a reasonable person might despair. But hope is unreasonable, and love is greater even than this. So where can I find hope? Well, for me, one primary element, if you like, proof of hope is that I know that music never goes away despite the best efforts of the music industry. Music survives the music industry, well, that's hope. So what I do is I strap on and I rock out. I walk on stage with my wonderful little wife and play rock classics with classic riffs that get people on their feet, cheering and shouting and punching the air. The music is not constrained and by players in the music industry. For me, that's hope. Love well known and again perhaps, but hope is more readily available.
Speaker 1: And tell us a little bit about mister Bennett.
Speaker 2: Mister Bennett was a brilliant and flawed man, intellectual powerhouse. For example, as a mental discipline, he would he would play a game of three dimensional chess through visualization. That's yeah. He was a polymath, multi linguist. I think as a younger man, probably very arrogant, which tends to come with extraordinary intellectual powers.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: Nineteen twenty one. He was British Intelligence in Turkey and I believe signed the visa allowed kimel outa Turk to move into Turkey, for which he still is respected in Turkey to this day. I understand mister Bennett worked hard and upset lots of people, but after nineteen sixty nine, something changed for him. In my view, he came to a realization that after that everything was different, and he was a voice for young people that were looking for a figure with experience and authority. And when I came across him, this was very clear. Young people at the time were maybe go to the East, or go on pilgrimages, put on blue robes, or various forms of other cultures. But for me, I found mister Bennett. This was an Englishman who wore English, those that I understood, spoke the language that I understood, and he was only one hundred miles down the road. So this was it for me, and I met him a month before he died. So this is a very powerful experience for me, which funnily enough increases in power the older I get as I recognize that connections can be made in a moment that doesn't have to be an extended moment in clock time. But nevertheless, the contact and connection can be made that enjuers and persists through time. It's like hearing a particular piece of music. It stays with you forever. Why because it's spoken to you, It's made a connection with you. And for those who feel that these experiences maybe it's a cosmic Witterer wittering on, I suggest that pretty well most of us at least have these experiences which are very direct for us, and we don't necessarily have to explain them. We accept that they're real. So this was mister Bennett who had the rare capacity to express complex notions in straightforward English. Why because what he was talking about was in his experience in nineteen sixty nine. In my view, he went somewhere and then he came back. Quote Hassan Schussud, very important figure in Turkish Sufism. And mister Bennett knows more about the mechanisms of the spirit, the mechanics of the spiritual life, than any person in the West since mister Eckart. Now, what do I know about that? I can't possibly comment on that. What I can say is mister Bennett spoke with authority which spoke to me in a language which persuaded me that I actually knew what mister Bennett was talking about. How could I? But nevertheless he persuaded me that I could in such a way that I've persisted ever since. And mister Bennett and missus Bennett uh part of my everyday life every day?
Speaker 1: Can you give us just a little more depth for those who are unfamiliar with the man. What one might say his lessons are and what you took from his words.
Speaker 2: Well, mister Bennett said, I teach I teach you how to cook, not what to cook. So what mister Bennett would do is teach you how to walk into a kitchen, pick up the implements, pick up the recipe, and make the mail. The recipe you chose was up to you. So another is very practical. What are the mechanics of the musical life? I can tell you that. What are the mechanics of the spiritual life? Mister Bennett could tell you that too. What I can say now at age seventy seven, they're exactly the same. I'm not sure that helps you at all, Bob doesn't. No, I can take that and grove from that. But let me put it a different way.
Speaker 1: You say he's part of your life every day, and he was playing on your computer in the background. What is your everyday interact action or lesson like, well.
Speaker 2: Every day I'm cooking, So my lessons in how to cook are ongoing every day. My father and my mother, my biological father and mother are with me every day as well. My spiritual father and my spiritual mother are with me every day as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, going from the sublime to the ridiculous, we're here. It's just as you're wearing a tie. When did this sartorial change happen? In what is behind it?
Speaker 2: It began around twenty twelve. Now, in terms of why this is an interesting one, I trust my feet when they go walking. When my feet go walking, I follow where they go. And when my feet have taken me to a place at which i've I recognize, ah, I need to be here. My feet brought me here. So trusting my feet where they go walking, that is my sense of direction, which is internal. I don't have to rationalize to myself where I'm going. But once I'm there, I might do that. I might look back and say why has my external appearance changed? And the answer might be something on the inside has changed. So at that point I monitor my experience to see how my experience of how I experience my experience and lived my life might have changed. In other words, I seek to better understand where I am now.
Speaker 1: So your exterior is evidence of your injury?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's true. What would you say, bomb, Oh.
Speaker 1: We you know this goes to my next question. We've been around a long time, you know. I remember when long hair was a significant signifier, after the Beatles came out. I remember the turn of the decade of the seventies, when it became an affectation. You could not judge somebody based on their long hair, which is when I cut my hair off. We live in an era, you know. You grew up to talk about the sixties in the seventies, where it was internal, whereas now there's so much external with the trappings. Let me show you how much money I have, et cetera. We're all looking for points of uniqueness in a standardized world. We all have the same phone, we have the same watch. We have this, so on some level it does send a message. In your particular case, you are dressing in a way a typical of people from your background, generation, walk of life. OI. So therefore it stands out to the point that I comment on it, and I'm sure that you know that this will have an effect on people who look at you. Whatever they might say. They might say, this is a serious guy, this guy is it's an act. Maybe he's all, I mean, I'm sure you're aware of all that.
Speaker 2: Oh right, Well, couple of comments at first, the going back to twenty twelve, I noticed that people on the street were dressing in a shall we say, relaxed fashion, People of my age, old geezers, even older than me. This town has the highest average age of any town in England. And there are old people I see shopping on the older than me Bob, shopping on the street today, and they've put on the suit to go out shopping. Now I understand this from my youth. What you wore in your house was not what you wore to go out in public. You would change to go out in public. And still in people much older than me, and there are a few of them in town go out shopping in a suit and tie. And I can tell because the suit is too big, because the man of eighty odd has shrunk within the suit which may or may not have fitted him sixty years ago when he first had it. It was his marriage suit, his funeral suit, and his Sunday suit. So part of it was seeing a new generation of people on our street who were dressing in a relaxed fashion. And for me it was a little too relaxed in some cases. I'm not going to use the word scruffy. Shall we say it was exception he relaxed. I wished to go another way now, also in twenty twelve, looking back, I would say that I had myself been scruffy for a number of years. Why, because I lived my life on the road, going away for six or eight weeks, even three weeks. What do you do? My answer was, I wear black? Why? Because everything's black. If it gets dirty, you don't see it so much. You have the same black jeans, black socks, black knickers, black t shirts black, but all the rest of it is all black. It's very, very straightforward and requires no thought whatsoever. And having come off the road in twenty ten with the intention never ever to work live again, I was making a sea change. I changed now I dressed.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're not recognized everywhere, so I'm sure there are places you go that are public, places where are not recognized. Maybe an airplane, maybe a restaurant. Do you find that people tweat you differently when you're dressed with a tie, et cetera.
Speaker 2: All right, one or two things on this Since Toy and Robert have become an Internet sensation in England. It used to be that wherever I go anywhere with my wife, my wife was recognized and I was overlooked. However, with our Internet sensation, we go over the road to our wonderful coffee shop in Pain and we're sitting in the window and people come in and speak to us that we'd never seen before, So not so much. There is also a situation I was in Venice with my wife. I'm trying to think when this was about two thousand and six, and we were there in April, which is the beginning of tourist season. So to get away from the buld burgeon in crowds, we walked to the very very further test quietest place over there in Venice, and we were completely alone on a street in Venice until a solitary Italian gentleman appeared and he said, freep, freep, freep, you are freep, and my wife was astonished. My wife was astonished, the only person in this deserted part of Venice. No srip. So anyway, moving on to am I universally recognized, No, of course not. However in King Crimson contexts mostly so, and in context where I am known or not. Does how I dress have an effect? The answer is yes, without any doubt whatsoever. Why because here is a character who was very intentionally chosen his suit, what he's wearing, his tie. If they check out the socks, they will see the socks of those not conventionally chosen, and the tie is mostly not conventionally chosen neither. Here at the moment I'm dressed, I'm dressed down comfortably, but I still have my rather nice silk tie, which I acquired from the charity shop down the street for ten pounds. So yes, if you walk into the first class British airwayte lounge, he throw Why because Daryl Hall sent me a first class ticket to fly to live at Daryl's house. Most of the people in the first class lounge and in first class are dressed in a very relaxed fashion, not to say scruffy. Why Because they're so rich they don't give a hoot. So first class people are scruffy. People in business class tend to be smart, more smartly dressed. Why because a first class concier's pal of mine said, people in first class know who they are. People in cattle class knew who they are. But people in business class are aspirational. They want to move to the front. So people in business class tend to be more smartly dressed. Me, wherever I sit nowadays, it will be more smartly dressed. Why primarily to put a demand upon myself. And secondly, if there's a likelihood for you to be upgraded, if you look impeccably smart, your chances have just gone up.
Speaker 1: Okay at your age, having seen so much. We live in a music business is completely different in that the era of in the court of the Crimson King doesn't happen for anybody anymore. You cannot have that level of ubiquity no matter who you are. How do you soldier forward? And how do you keep your optimism?
Speaker 2: Two questions, Bob, would you choose one of them first? Please?
Speaker 1: How do you soldier forward?
Speaker 2: It's part of my discipline to keep going, so I decide keep going. So the question is then am I able to rely upon myself? So what I do in the morning when I get up, say hello God and send out my good thoughts the immediate family and friends and distant family and friends. From there, I moved to my physical regime of physical exercises and the I get in the cold shower. Why because my body doesn't want to get into the cold shower any more than it wants to do its exercises. But this is the animal that carries me round life, and it will not tell me what I do. I tell my body what to do, and then I move from this to my morning sitting, and then from that I enter my day having told myself that I will you will keep going. And in terms of optimism, why am I optimistic? Because I have decided to be optimistic. I'm a reasonable person. And if a good reason, a reasonable person would despair. So reason isn't sufficient. I have to trump reason, and I trump it, first of all with hope, which we've just discussed. I trump this with hope and with discipline. I am unable to hold myself on course.
Speaker 1: Let me go just a little bit thread the needle, which may not be what you're literally doing right now, but you're familiar with You have these very dedicated fans. You could pick one of the albums from your catalog, you know, Islands Lizard Red, and you could say I am going to play this album for a year live because the audience will love this. Okay, would that be emotional and intellectual death for you? Do you have to keep pushing the envelope to make it interesting to you.
Speaker 2: I continue to challenge myself. An example of that well, going on the road with David for two weeks, for example, or having a guitar course between one hundred and one hundred and twenty people and to near Mendoza in Argentina this late April, and then doing festival performances and live shows with Toy later in the year. These are all challenges for me. Is are they intellectual challenges? Yep, certainly going on the road with David it is Are they personal challenges?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: You have one hundred people come along and they look to me to give them advice. Yes, that a challenge, certainly. Is that an intersectional intellectual challenge? Not as much as it is a challenge to my feelings how to engage on a feeling level with these people. Am I likely to go on the road and play a particular King Crimson album for one year to keep people happy? I think that's unlikely. I think if I were to choose as Pacific repertoire to play live for period of time, I would have to choose that repertoire. I really, really really would like to play this, and it is within the current athletic and calisonic standards, which I can ask myself to honor. But do I believe that I will invite a number of other players to set off on the road to do that with me? I think that's unlikely.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if we brought your wife in right now, would your demeanor and style of speech be the same or would it be more colloquial and less measured.
Speaker 2: The latter And we'll leave it at that.
Speaker 1: Robert, Oh god, I can't get you guys enough. This has been very stimulating and I'm sure it will be that way for my audience. Thanks so much for doing this.
Speaker 2: Till next time.
Speaker 1: This is Bob Left sets