Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of false stories written about myself and my family all the time, and you know, I've grown up with it. I live through it. I'm living through it. You know, things like we're homeless and living in an RV. Oh my gosh, the massive amounts of plastic surgery is just nuts. Things that are just so fabricated and false that you just feel like you can't ever say anything. And for so long I was like, I have a thick skin, a really thick skin, from all these fake stories. But then that's why I started this podcast. Essentially, I started Misspelling because I was like, you know what, they're all so busy telling my story and making money off of it. I'm just going to go ahead and tell my truth. So I put it all out there, and you guys know, I'm not you know, high on my horse and being like, oh I'm great and everything's perfect, and you know, I'll tell you and I'm a hot mess well, which happens often. But you know, the bad, the good, the ugly warts and all. Remind me tell you that time I had a wart. Anyway, I tell it all on Misspelling. I always say it's TMI and then I say, mmm, no TMT too much tory never so yeah. This is a great example of a horrific story that came out. Daily Mail posted a story with photos that a Papa Razzi took of our temporary housing that we were in because we were displaced after we had mold in our old home. We have been on the move between temporary housing establishments till we just moved in the last couple of months to a permanent residence and.
Speaker 3: We are so happy.
Speaker 2: But had a great experience working with the landlord and the management company and.
Speaker 3: It is totally false.
Speaker 4: But to see photos of trash and a trash couch all just what they are calling dumped on the street by myself and my family, I couldn't allow it to go on any longer because it's completely false.
Speaker 2: I was getting texts from friends from family concerned, what is going on?
Speaker 3: My kids are.
Speaker 2: Affected, they go to school. You guys, these fake stories don't help. So my landlord and temporary housing manager, Katie from the house they are saying I allegedly trashed, has been kind enough since now the second time I've worked with her, to come on today and we both are setting the record straight that this is all false, This did not happen. So from Temporary Housingla dot com, please welcome the amazing Katie Hi. Hi, there's my amazing landlord.
Speaker 3: Hi Katie, Hi Torio.
Speaker 5: How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing okay, Thank you so much for coming on my podcast today to dispel all spell you see, I turned around there, dispelled spelling all the rumors out there. Here she is okay. So we actually come full circle because a year ago we were had to leave our rental in Hidden Hills. There was mold and the kids and I were kind of on the move for a while until we could find a more permanent housing situation, and you were the first. Actually when we had moved last summer, we lived in one of your other temporary properties, temporary housing properties in La Yep. Yeah, And you were so kind and we had such a great relationship. In fact, I talk about like there's always rumors and false stories that come out about me. At the time that people were saying, oh, she's homeless, she and her kids and they're living in an RV. I was actually living in one of your temporary housings with my kids in Woodland Hills, so another.
Speaker 6: Way, you are living in a beautiful, multi billion dollar home.
Speaker 2: There you go, and we left for a few days to go on a summer vacation RV trip. Funny, but here we are again. We lived at your amazing property in Woodland Hills, such a great house. We were actually sad to leave, but we always knew it was a temporary housing because that's what you do, and we have moved into a permanent property. But we had a great experience with you. And I love Katie because she you know, I always love women, empowering women, and you are so smart and so informed, and anytime we had a question of any sorts, you were like on it. No matter where she was, she would be out of town, she'd be on it. I'd be calling her anytime during the night. And I just wanted to thank you for all that, and then we'll get into this, Okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, It's been so nice.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm so happy that we were able to host you for this last year while you had I remember you had the issue with mold and your home and then you needed a place to stay. I was so happy to host you in multiple homes. It's been a great experience. On our part, and I'm happy that we were able to provide really good service for you as well.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I know, and while we have a permanent residence now, I am going to miss you. I never missed these terrible stories that come out, so it's all over in the news. Katie and I touch base when Daily Mail posted a story with photos of how I allegedly trashed your home and they have pictures of stuff on the sidewalk, and I was just like, it was like that cartoon where the eyes were like.
Speaker 3: Like is that bugs bunny?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: When Roadbrunner, I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I've never seen anything so ridiculous in my life. We replaced furniture all the time in these properties. I actually replaced three sofas in the last week. Were managing around fifty homes and it's definitely not headline news, so.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I mean, granted, I have five kids, I have you know, dogs, cat, we have animals, and I never profess to be the cleanest, most organized person, you know. I'm always like, oh, you know, it's it's a messy, chaotic life. But we lead with our hearts and I would never trash somebody's property, and when we moved out, which is way before what they are allegedly saying. When we moved out, I was like heartbroken. Castella, my now turned sixteen year old, since I've seen you, She and I we even like were washing the bedding and making sure it was try and doing another cycle and like trying to fluff up the beds and do the best we can. But of course, you know, we're not perfect, and you know, five kids are messy, but we would never trash at home. And our neighbors, the neighbors in that neighborhood are so great. Yea, So I was really bummed, you know, But stories like this, Katie, like just because from my perspective, I've been through it so many times, they always have to have the quote unquote source. It can be anyone, and you know, but and while people are like, don't read the comments, you shouldn't read the bad stuff, like you have to at some point because you're like, people don't know and they think this could be true, like you know that we just jumped everything out on the sidewalk, and we're like peace out, Like that's not how it.
Speaker 7: Happens, absolutely not.
Speaker 6: I mean, we basically replaced the furniture every couple of years.
Speaker 5: It's not a big deal. You were great to work with.
Speaker 6: We've managed over fifteen thousand reservations.
Speaker 5: It was a you.
Speaker 6: Know, like a normal family of five that stayed. You've been lovely or a beautiful mother, and I really respect you and what you're doing for this world.
Speaker 3: So thank you. We're both dog lovers, so yes.
Speaker 5: We have we have a twin dog.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I just feel like And Ruth Anne, who is my manager and one of my best friends for years, is on here as well. In fact, she helped us move, so she saw that none of this was left there. And Ruth Anne, who is my manager and producing partner and best friend lifer for what thirty years now, and that you you actually helped us move from Katie's property into our new home, so you saw that I was left.
Speaker 3: There ages ago.
Speaker 1: First of all, yes, not when the Daily Mail is suggesting ages ago. And the house was as it always had been. The furniture was there, it was in fine shape, there was nothing trashed. Just that word makes me insane because it's so far from accurate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's just a completely leave behind. One animal carrier and a few toys. But in all fairness, you guys were so kind. You were like, just leave it in the garage because we are doing a big.
Speaker 7: We do after a big move out all the time.
Speaker 5: All this is definitely.
Speaker 6: Crazy to me that anybody would take the time to take picture of a debris pickup.
Speaker 5: From the city.
Speaker 3: Wait, what is it called.
Speaker 7: Actually, it's called the.
Speaker 6: Debris pickup Okay, yeah, it's the city offers that with your trash service, so you can get as much as you want picked up.
Speaker 5: And yeah, we do it all the time.
Speaker 6: When we were replacing furniture, which we replaced all the time in this business. And it's uh that furniture was a couple of years old and we decided to actually redo how we wanted the house to look.
Speaker 5: And it had nothing to do with you.
Speaker 6: And there were multiple people who stayed at this property and like I said, you've been a great tenant and I have nothing but good things to say about you and my experience with you and multiple properties with my company.
Speaker 2: Oh you just got me thinking. I mean, I love designs, so if you ever want any way, and the furniture was beautiful in the house, but I would love to offer we can we can do anything diy or.
Speaker 5: Yeah please, I you know, yeah, how could we make it better? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm on board.
Speaker 1: It is crazy though, how vicious that article is.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 7: I'd been contacted, My broker has been content.
Speaker 6: I get my like, over ten or twelve different people called all day long.
Speaker 5: I've never I'm like, it's just a joke.
Speaker 7: We put some furniture and it was only out there for like a day.
Speaker 6: We you know, we had set it up. We told them the pieces, they was out there. They came the next day and got it, and somebody made this huge deal about the most ridiculous I've never seen anything in my life. And the woman, I don't know which woman that told me, she said a neighbor had told her about this, that the house was trashed, and I'm like, that's not.
Speaker 1: True, Like I I wonder, so we've been wondering. Was it actually a neighbor who you know, made up the story, took the photos and sold it, which is you know how these things work. The Daily Mail is an outlet. Yeah, these first stories and they do not do they don't fact check, they don't care. They they you know, they're sued relentlessly and they don't care about that either. So but the question is, was it an actual neighbor who just wanted to make some cash or was it the Daily Mail themselves sending a photographer out or was it just the paparazzi that follows Toy everywhere thought she was still there, saw this great opportunity and took pictures and then they sent it to the Daily Mail.
Speaker 5: So actually, wait, my.
Speaker 6: Gut says it's one hundred percent not a neighbor. I don't really think the neighbors in that neighborhood would do that, But of course I don't know for sure. I think it was probably them just driving by seeing some stuff out.
Speaker 5: Let me make a story out of this, you know.
Speaker 1: That was my instinct that it was paparazzi who are always stalking Tory who saw this and their eyes popped out of their head with dollar signs and were like, whooh, here's an opportunity to make some money.
Speaker 2: So I have a theory on this, you guys. This is like my side hustle, trying to figure out an anti anticipate what will be written about me and photographed and how the narrative will go, which is why I've tried my best to turn around and create my own podcast where I can be like, eh, this is the way it's happening. So what can they do if I'm telling it like it truly is. But months ago, Katie, while I was still there longer than months ago, a story was released. I don't recall exactly the publication, pretty much giving away our exact address. And you know, since we had left Hidden Hills where we had the mold issue in the house that we at least there for years, we had been going, you know, from Airbnb, Airbnb temporary housing. This was our second property with you temporary housing La dot com. And suddenly the address was out there and paparazzi showed up. And I do I do my very best because it's the life I lead. And you know, I not saying.
Speaker 3: Like woe is me? But if I have five kids.
Speaker 2: And I am a normal human, like I do drop offs and pickups, and I have kids ranging from seventeen to seven, so I have three school drop offs and you know, then working and then it's just life. But I do my best to avoid you know, paparazzi following us home knowing where we live. Just for the kid's sake and for my neighbor's sake, to be honest, and anyway, someone had put it out where we were, which it wasn't the exact address, but I guess in hindsight, if you can go back and look at pictures online of the property, you could kind of pinpoint where you know, we've taken photos in the house and be like, oh, yeah, that's her, that's the house. And they found it and the street was lined with paparazzi.
Speaker 3: News cruise and it was wild.
Speaker 2: But I got to say, and it's moments like this that melt my heart. The neighbors in your neighborhood jumped in and they came running up to the car, women of course, women with kids and their dogs, and they were like, we got you that one. I just went up too and was like, you can't be on this street and they told me they were TMZ and I was like, well, you have to get out or I'm calling the police. And I was like, first of all, I'm always so guilty. I'm like, I'm so sorry there were existing in your universe and causing trouble.
Speaker 3: She's like, no, this is awful. They do this to you guys.
Speaker 2: And it was two moms and they helped me get the kids inside and they were shielding and of course those pictures don't come out because no one wants like good story, you know, but it was so kind and they said, we're here anytime we exchange information. It was, you know, one was directly across the street, one was next door. All my neighbors have been fabulous in the past, and they were just like, you know, call us Texas. If you see someone you can't come out of the house, we'll like, you know, cause a diversion. And like I was like, wow, I love when a plan comes together.
Speaker 5: That's amazing.
Speaker 6: What a supportive neighborhood that is. I know, they're really nice people in that neighbora.
Speaker 2: They're really nice people. But it sometimes I'm a real positive person, as are you. And we've connected on this before, and I you know, there's moments where I get in my own head and I'm like my light dims and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, this sucks.
Speaker 2: But then I'm reinvigorated to burn bright when I see others that are like you know what I do believe if you're a kind person and you move ahead.
Speaker 3: With that that people will always.
Speaker 2: It'll come back around and help you when you need it, and I maintain that in life. But they were awesome. I had a point here, Oh I remember my point. Sorry. My point was it was after that that paparazzi did have our address, so they would always come by and we would never know, and I my kids, I would always be like, oh, I think I see a paparazzi and they'd be like, Mom, you're being paranoid. Sure enough, it was a paparazzi, and you know, we had to think of different ways out, and it sucks because sometimes I have to you know, i'm taking the kids. I have to go alternate routes, and it takes longer because I don't want them to know I'm going to my kid's doctor for this reason, and you know, private stuff that's about my kids, and my kids want the privacy. So I believe that that person that took the photos was probably just someone that knew our address from before and didn't know we moved and was just checking in back back and forth. So when they checked in this time, they were like, oh wow, I just struck gold. Literally, Yeah, I mean, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: I had no idea that would happen. We've done this a million times, it.
Speaker 7: Never became new, So it's so it's I'm so sorry that that happened.
Speaker 5: I think it's really.
Speaker 6: Just so sad to know that that is what people want to watch on news, or that becomes news that somebody, you know, replacing some burn insure can reflect negatively on such a lovely person who's a beautiful mother like yourself. Like I said, I I'm really sorry that that happened.
Speaker 5: And I had no idea.
Speaker 6: I didn't really realize that happened with the pavarazzi down the street.
Speaker 7: I was never even told about that, right, Sorry, No.
Speaker 2: You're right, I didn't. I didn't tell you that part because our neighbors handled it like they were so cool. They were always checking in on us, and I felt like, you know when people say you have a neighborhood watch, I had like a neighborhood watch, just amazing humans that were like that went above and beyond to make sure. So so yeah, when I when I saw you know, the article and it said like neighbors are furious that she threw stuff out, I was like, those neighbors are awesome, you know, they've like supported us through everything. They know the real us, And I don't know. I guess I guess you get one person to say like, oh, yeah, this is not okay, and then you got a story. But yeah, so that probably was like in one day that happened, correct, Yeah, that it was put out there and picked up.
Speaker 6: It was We're really efficient company. We want to make sure we don't leave things out to bother the neighbors. We always we really want to be respectful of the neighbors. So yeah, absolutely, we just had it out there for like a single day. It was picked up on time. And I have no idea how someone would drive by and turn that into a story. Like I said, that would reflect negatively on someone who think it's absurd.
Speaker 5: And I'm so sorry that that happened.
Speaker 2: No, I'm so sorry it happened to you because you've been so kind to us through multiple you know, temporary housing locations. And yeah, we connected right away and we were both like, what is this is crazy? But yeah, and in the past, I grew up in a business where the old school mentality is it's a story. My dad used to say, it's a story, let it go, you know. Good press is bad press is good press? Is you know all of that. It's like, nah, some bad press is just bad press. And the next storyal Trump that no pun intended there, But the next story will come, you know, it'll replace it.
Speaker 3: Also.
Speaker 2: You know what they don't think about nowadays is you know, sorry, we were conditioned than to not say a word and just be silent, you know, be the higher, you know, bigger person and let it go. And that's the classy thing to do. Well nowadays with social media, anyone and everyone can be like, by the way, fake news, that didn't happen. But my biggest concern as a mom of five and I have, you know, two teenagers, is it affects them. And you know, when the RV story came out and it was all you know, people at school were like, is your family homeless? You know, they believe stuff. And my daughter had to explain we were quite literally like any other family. We rent in our we were on a vacation. But I was like, she shouldn't have to explain. And you know, when this story came out two days ago, this sucks for them because their friends are gonna see this and their friends are gonna be like, oh, my gosh, did your family trash a house? And it's just not cool. And I don't know where the line is. I know, I know everyone needs to make money, and everyone has a different way of making money.
Speaker 3: It's not up to us to choose, you know.
Speaker 2: If we think they're taking the higher road making money or the lower road, that's their jam. But putting out false stories is just incrediblely awful and hurtful on.
Speaker 3: A really like deep level to people.
Speaker 2: And I usually don't say anything, and I usually am like, I take it, I take it. I'm like, eh, it'll go away. This one, I'm like, this is too much. This is this really pushed me as a mom. So thank you Katie for doing this.
Speaker 3: Ruthanne.
Speaker 2: Before Daily Mail put the story out, did they call and check with you if it was true?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not. I received no communication from them. The only communication I have received or from other news outlets asking for common and asking if it's true.
Speaker 5: But the.
Speaker 1: Paper that originated the story could not have been bothered to fact check. They are only interested in selling papers. That's really the bottom line. And it's sad because it does affect you, your kids, the family as a whole, your reputation, and Katie, it also could impact you. It's just wildly irresponsible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is crazy. I'm so sorry that this happened. There's absolutely no reason why somebody replacing some furniture it should turn into a story.
Speaker 5: Ever, nobody fact checked with me.
Speaker 6: It's one hundred percent falls And again I.
Speaker 5: Wish we would have just.
Speaker 6: Just taken the furniture away mind signing, rather than have the god of this experience.
Speaker 2: You couldn't have known to you as I mean, you do you rented people all the time. Do you feel like this puts a bad name on you know, if celebrities want to rent a property or need to rent temporary housing things like this, Yeah, it does, it.
Speaker 5: Does, and it's and it's shipped.
Speaker 6: But celebrity, you know, people should also know that, you know, these stories are mostly not true, Like this is one hundred percent of fabricated story that somebody came up with based on some things I would read that the DWP was going to pick up. So I think it's pretty silly that this whole thing happened, and it's really sad that it's compacting your whole family and your you know, your children have to go through this because somebody wanted to make a story and make maybe make some money or you know whatever that I don't actually know a lot about these things.
Speaker 5: I don't actually follow any of these.
Speaker 6: Type of news sources personally, but I just found it completely absurd that somebody would take this and make it into a story out of nothing, out of no substance, no no, no truth.
Speaker 3: I mean I would.
Speaker 2: I'm like, going, I'm such a detailed person that like an importance level of one to ten. My friends will be like, and you choose number eleven to focus on, but it really like the couch, it was.
Speaker 3: Like strown outside, soiled, ripped up.
Speaker 2: I'm like, when I zoomed in, I looked it was turned upside down. You guys, like, it wasn't like it was the front and it was it was being removed. I don't even know I'm focusing. And someone was like, and I don't want to miss quote an article the inside of the house, let me just look at this. Oh there were marks all over the walls from who knows what. Sorry I'm saying in a dramatic voice, but I'm sure people read They're like, what kind of marks from who knows what?
Speaker 5: I mean? True it's not true. There was none of this is true. It's just just a made up story. Sokin. I'm so sorry that this happened.
Speaker 3: No, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: There's nothing wrong.
Speaker 7: There was no nothing on the inside of the house.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, one had like explosive diarrhea on her walls that I'm aware of.
Speaker 3: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: I do have five kids and dogs, so but you know, but no, it was not like that. But you you were so amazing to work with and uh and I hope to work with you again in the future and keep rocking what you are doing. Wait, you have how many properties currently?
Speaker 5: I were managing around fifty homes?
Speaker 3: Fifty homes you guys. That's badass.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in the La Valencia and in Coachella Valley.
Speaker 5: Yeah that three those three areas right now.
Speaker 3: Ooh yeah, and I come to Coachella.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, we have a few house out.
Speaker 3: There there for you guys. It was all wrong. She still trusts me, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So you've been a great I would rend to you again.
Speaker 5: So that says it off you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Katie, And this home is amazing. So so hey, Katie up if you would like to rent the home that we made so many loving memories in. It's a beautiful home. It's so funny, you know what. I would always say, it has a big red door. So whenever we would get like Postmaids or something, I'd be like, the big red door. My friend was like, factual, that's quite factual. It's a big red door. I missed that big red door.
Speaker 7: Well, we're gonna miss you.
Speaker 6: It was lovely working with you and connecting with you, and I'm glad we could provide housing for you and your family. Well you were displaced from your original Holly.
Speaker 2: We were grateful and eternally grateful. Ye and thank you. So everyone go look at Temporary Housing la dot com.
Speaker 3: Check out the properties.
Speaker 2: They're amazing, amazing landlords, amazing management, and they go above and beyond when you're in need and are displaced from your permanent residence and need something so work with my friend Katie. Thank you Katie for doing this. So so yeah to everyone out there that said I trashed the home and put all that on the sidewalk, suck it.