Speaker 1: Kind of like the more we learn, the more and the more we grow, the more we can, you know what I mean, And kind of like what I'm trying to hold on to these days, which is really hard for me because I overthink things, but like done is better than perfect.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Money Moves powered by Greenwood, a finance podcast dedicated to dropping all the knowledge and gems from the world's leading celebrities, entrepreneurs and experts, and tech, business and more. I'm your host, angel investor, technology enthusiast, and media personality Tanya Sam. Each week, we talk with guests who are making significant strides in their fields and learn how they are making their money move. If you're someone who's looking to make your money move, you're in the right place. So open up your notes app and lock us in because this podcast will give you the keys to the kingdom of financial stability, wealth and abundance you so rightly deserve. Before we start the episode, I'd like to remind you to check us out at gogreenwood dot com and follow us on social media at Greenwood and me on all Things social at It's Tanya Time to stay locked into new episode Moneymovers. Please join us and welcoming the talented Goopola.
Speaker 3: To the show.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, you know you have had a brand that is like you know, people know you, but you're also still out here. You're evolving it, You're giving people content. If you guys follow her on social you'll see this. What does building a brand look like to you today? That is a great question. I am still trying to figure it out. I think.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 3: For me, it's kind of like what I who I am.
Speaker 1: As an artist is very close to who I am as a person. So I think it's along the way deciding like what I want to share and I value having my privacy also, you know, so that can be a difficult balance sometimes. But I would say, like as a business woman, I think sometimes I'll take myself out for a second and try and vision as a brand. And I think one of the most valuable things to me that's kept me grounded is just to like always have a big personal vision for myself so that I can stay consistent with that and it kind of teaches me internally when to say yes and no so that my brain feels authentic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that because it's a struggle. It's a funny question, right, because at the bottom line where I'm like, oh, you should just be yourself, right, and this is what you would think. But it's hard in the public eye balancing both like how much you want to put out, you know, and especially when you have such soulful music, people gravitate, I'm sure to your music because they feel you've touched something in themselves. And so I surmise it would be even harder because you want to give that back to people, but at the same time, like you can't give it all away. It has to be sort of cognizant of that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think there's also things like for me, like just like you know, tapping into what are my core values for myself because I think you just want to say yes to everything and every kind of support because it's like, it's great to have resources, and it's definitely challenging sometimes as an independent artist to have enough resources. But when you think about brand, like for me, just thinking about what different companies I would want to work with, you know, getting to work with Aldo around you know, they did like a awareness around HIV and there was a whole thing with just like fashion and consciousness versus you know, there was like maybe a tobacco company that approached me early on, and I was just like, I can't say yes to that. Even though I want to say yes to the money, it's not gonna it's going to be a conflict within me and so knowing when to say no. And then it's like, you know, full circle. All these years later, I ended up working with the anti tobacco.
Speaker 3: Oh look at that, and then and then they were like, we want to support you.
Speaker 1: So I think just kind of knowing, like what what is the right synergy?
Speaker 2: I always look at that because it's they're tough choices, like you can get a big check and you're like, ugh, I need this, but am I okay with this? And yeah, like really tough everyday decisions that I mean not just musicians have to make, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: And sometimes it's worth it, and sometimes it's worth thinking outside the box how can I make this work? And sometimes it's just like I'm just gonna have to pass on that because bigger picture, this is totally not in line and it's gonna just throw off what I've been building. And then you just have that the right thing is gonna come.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, the right thing comes, and you've had your hands in many many pots from acting to entrepreneurship, so you've been able to sort of monetize and create many streams of income for yourself as well, you know, throughout the course of your music career. Talk a little bit about the acting, and then we'll go back and we'll speak a bit on these brand partnerships as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, the acting, I feel like I haven't got to do as much as I want to do in acting, and it can be kind of an intimidating thing because it's like a whole different a whole different muscle to practice and it's really vulnerable. But I did get to do. One of the first things I got to do was being Sparkle with the late great Whitney Houston, and it was so fun for me because I got to play a retro group, you know, a singing group, and I got to have like fun and I got it was just like fun, and I got to sing the actual song running in a studio with Chuck Harmony and then we got to perform it and that was a great way to get my feet wet. And I also met Omari Hardwick on that set, which you know we've become friends and got to work together creatively, so that was just awesome. And also got to work a mirror a Kiel and Selima Killmore just houses Tower Houses and you know, had my music in other of their projects. I got to work with Ava du Verne. She did this short film called The Door and it was with Giants. You know, it's like with Alfre Wooder and Gale Union and ama Yatzi and at Apperil and it was just like, for me, one of my favorite things because it was like it was with me.
Speaker 3: And you and I love that brand.
Speaker 1: But then yes, black women just like as friends telling a story and.
Speaker 3: So that was really fun.
Speaker 1: And there's a couple other indie projects Where's Beauty and other things that I've got to be involved with. But I hope to get even further into that world because I have some different ideas.
Speaker 2: I hope this for you as you talk about some of the collaborations and you know I had, it always gets people excited. But can you share with us some of the other incredible artists that you've worked with, some of the hits that you've worked on.
Speaker 1: Let's see, I've worked with a lot of rappers, mainly I'm like from E forty the Snoop High Road to and I Rex Life, Raj a lot of different folks, and I love that because it's like, you know, I can do a hook or a verse and they're filling it in and it just kind of like it's not as much pressure, you know, yeah, yourself. And then I just recently did a song with Raheem Devong, who's like yeah, because he's amazing live. But we did this song called Love around the Clock that's on his new album.
Speaker 3: And I also got to work with bj the Chicago kid who's also.
Speaker 1: A singer and songwriter, you know, besides his own stuff, he's done all this amazing stuff with Kendrick Lamar and folks. And I'm also collaborating with folks visually. And I just for the new project Colors, Like for the first song Time Heels, I worked with a visual artist called Human, Filipino woman out of the Bay Area, and she does amazing murals, amazing canvas, all kinds of stuff. But she's she designed my album cover. But she also I worked with her on this piece that she did called Ecclusion for Time Heels, and it's like art, the animates with the merch and I'm just excited to be thinking outside of the box and getting to bring in visual aspects because it's like for me, I hear, I see visuals and I've been wanting to incorporate more of that. And then I also have candle sense that go with the different songs, and smell is.
Speaker 3: Like really cute for me. I like think good, smell good and look.
Speaker 1: Good and feel good and and so just incorporating more of a holistic approach, which feels like a little more like my lifestyle getting to bring that to the public.
Speaker 2: So I saw this, y'all, and if you were tuning in to listen, make sure you go check it out. The lifestyle brand is dream Seeker.
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 2: And it's because this just feels like the natural evolution if you you know, we have this auditory experience where you get to listen to music, but then you're adding all these sensory elements on from the smell to visual And if you check out on Guappalaid's Instagram, you'll see a little teaser of it there. It is really beautiful. I really love that, and there's butterflies. It's everything I would have imagined it to be. In a perfect sensory experience.
Speaker 3: So thank you. I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is really really incredible, and I love that you're able to you know, this is how you want to experience some music, so you're bringing it to the people that love your music.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's something that I've thought about for a really long time and it's finally coming to fruition and like manifesting, Like okay, there's something physical that I can share, you know, because I concept for a long time and it was you know, it took a while to figure out how to translate it.
Speaker 2: And so talk about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's really interesting to see.
Speaker 2: So you and the artist human collaborated to sort of create this visual tell us a little bit more about that.
Speaker 1: So I did a She had an immersive art installation in Berkeley or Emeryville near Oakland. What was this maybe like a year ago and incredible. I mean there was like five rooms you could walk through. She had fabric painted that was hanging strips from the ceiling projected on it. You could walk through it. That was her art was all over the walls and some of it she had built in filters where if you put your phone over it it animates. There's not a lot of visual artists that also have that technical translation where they're able to sticulate on more mediums. So that was really dope. And I was invited to sing there and it was just after I had you know, I had been visioning, like how am I how can I bring other sensory experiences to my music? And I had like found the first scent that I was going to use. So I was like, oh, this is the perfect place where I can perform some of my songs and have the scent going through the room, you know.
Speaker 3: And it's subtle, but I was like, it's.
Speaker 1: A step, it's a step, It's a step, yes, in this place that's so immersive already. So we just kept talking after that, and there was a piece that she painted that just really resonated with me because it was about time, it was about healing, it was about transformation, and I was like, can we do something around this piece? So she kind of customized a version of that piece for Time Heels because it just felt like in the right tone. It was already like Time Heels was kind of like a golden hour sunset, you know, burnt oranges type color tone for me in my mind, which is a lot of that is in the painting, but it's also about transformation and how time heels things.
Speaker 3: So I was like, this is perfect.
Speaker 2: How can we perfect, you know?
Speaker 1: And so we did a limited edition merch together, and now she's done the album cover and all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, you remiss if I didn't allow you right now to tell us where we can find this, like plug plug my sister.
Speaker 1: Yes, So people can go to Dreamseeker dot com. That's where the merch is available and the candles are available. And if people go to guappola dot com, it'll link through to that g OA p E l E dot com. Yeah, and all my handles are just at wappola.
Speaker 3: So beautiful.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how you got dreamsecret dot com as a website that just feels like gold right there.
Speaker 1: I think as so many people that I interact with, you know, the songs called closer, but so many people I interact with are like, closer to my dreams, you know, got me through this or that or whatever. And I feel like, and they'll tell me the story of how, you know, what dreams they've fulfilled. They're at in their evolution and I feel there's all these dream seekers out there that are on their journey doing all these make things in different fields, and I want to stay tapped in with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh I'm a dream seeker. I love this.
Speaker 2: This is so beautiful because I think it brings me full circle to some of your work you do with sky Blaze Recordings for emerging artists. You're helping others seek their dreams and achieve their dreams. Tell us about a little bit how a little bit more about how you support these emerging artists.
Speaker 1: Well, to be honest with you, that's something that we're still working on. We've definitely worked with a lot of up and coming producers that are now, like you know, have some solid careers and they're not up income anymore. So I think just from the beginning, just working with people where there's been good synergy cream and building together. I really believe in that. And I've been working with some of the same people since the beginning, you know, Mike Tiger, bed Rock, Eryl Cooney, Jeff Basker, a lot of different folks and different writers. I think sky Blaze has been historically more of a vehicle as an artist that's been more of a vehicle for me. They're emerging artists, but definitely there's always been a lot of community building where we're working with you know, different emerging artists and definitely producers and musicians. And I think that the mentorship part is so important and helped me immensely, like when I was first getting into music of like you know, folks like DJ Fuse from Digital Underground or E forty or Prints, you know, all these like artists and musicians with longevity that have been that we're honest out their journey and like, you need to be writing, you need to have ownership, you need to buy your own equipment, you need to you know, think about this and that in deals and you know, surrounding myself with a trustworthy team.
Speaker 2: And so okay, you mentioned Prince, Yes, so I've got to go back to that. Was he a big mentor for.
Speaker 3: You in this space? Yeah?
Speaker 1: He was, and he I think I met him probably in like oh five oh six something around maybe a little before that, because I think it was where I put out my second album, right before I put out Change at All. Because if I look back, we gave him like some some of the songs before I put him out.
Speaker 3: You know, kind of like what are you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, please don't break my heart, but tell me something.
Speaker 1: I remember he was like, like that song crushed out and I ended up later on, you know, years later, performing that at his club when he did the thirty one twenty one in Vegas and he came up and did a solo on it. But he used to come to my shows.
Speaker 3: He flew out to the Bay Area for the album release party.
Speaker 1: He would, you know, he would host these parties and dinner and include me and so many amazing musicians and independent artists and just talk about like how important ownership is and being your masters, and how to think about your music like art, you know, and not give all your power away. And he just did things in such a innovative way.
Speaker 3: You know. It's like he was always thinking out of the box.
Speaker 1: Of course, he had so much success, he had a lot of freedom to decide, I'm going to press up my own.
Speaker 3: I don't know how many albums.
Speaker 1: You know, what I meant is included in the tickets, Like that's genius.
Speaker 3: And but also about he was so prolific, but he really valued what he brought.
Speaker 1: And I think it was just like a different perspective of not being a victim the industry, but really bringing being valuable and recognizing that and not in a conceded, not in an arrogant way. You know. He also had such an inredibly intense work ethic.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't want to have an air like time to me.
Speaker 1: Because you know I should so fire that, but it's like, hmmm, we have to put in the work, you know what I mean, and the best we can because we care so much about what we're giving, you know. So I think like he was such an example of that, but then at the end of the day, like he really valued what he had and don't just give everything away. So you know, some just some things that were instilled in me, but even also like his creative process, like going in the studio and recording on your own, you know, and just being a little more open and vulnerable and all of that.
Speaker 2: So, now, as you're about to drop your next this latest album, what do you have advice now that you've sort of come through, you know, years of experience, what is the final piece of advice that you would give to artists now that are creating, putting out music, trying to be successful, trying to build a brand, trying to create generational wealth, all these things that keep.
Speaker 1: Us all That is such a great question and that I feel like I'm still trying to find the answer to myself.
Speaker 3: What I would say to me, what I have to come back to is like I want to do what I love.
Speaker 1: I need to stay like stay creative, you know, get in the studio and when you don't feel motivate, work with different people just so that you're there enough for the magic to happen when it can, because it's not going to happen. And then like surround yourself with trustworthy people that are down to hold up your vision but also and believe in you, but also like question you and be honest with you. Then just give the best that you can. And it's kind of like the more we learn, the more and the more we grow, the more we can, you know what I mean. And kind of like what I'm trying to hold onto these days, which is really hard for me because I overthink things, but like done is better than perfect.
Speaker 3: That is like my I say that all the time. Let me tell you when.
Speaker 1: Somebody told me that, I was like, I really need to hold on to this because I can overthink my way at everything, like, oh it's not good enough, you too, And it's like, okay, once I have really done my best and it's not gonna stre in the next near future, let it.
Speaker 3: Go, you know, let it go.
Speaker 2: Just let it get out there, and you know you'll build on it, you'll iterate, you'll change. And it's it's funny because nowadays, when you look at it, I could see I understand. Right, Remember back in the day, you're talking about pressing a CD like it had to be perfect. I guess right now you can iterate, you can release a remix on your social media.
Speaker 3: Done is better than perfect.
Speaker 1: It's it's a tough one. It's a beause it's scary and vulnerable, you know, to put your there. But it's like, okay, once I've done the best that I know I can do, and like maybe I want it to be better, but I'm not going to get to that.
Speaker 3: Yeap, Now all right, share it?
Speaker 1: And then I also it's really important to not burn bridges because if I told you how many people I've run back into overall these but I've been in the industry, not at the same company, not in the same place, in all different places, and it's like if you can maintain respect, you know, with people and good relationships, like you can't have to worry. It's such a rollercoaster in this entertainment industry, Like certain opportunities don't come back around, certain relationships do come back around, Like you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You feel like you have to move with good intention. You can't be a pusher where you can't you know, You've got to stick up for yourself when you do. But there's always a way that you can do it that you know, doesn't alienate the people around you, doesn't disrespect you know, And I say this all the time. You never know.
Speaker 3: Twenty years is a long time that.
Speaker 2: Person who is bringing you coffee shows up as like in the c suite, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So true, it is so true.
Speaker 2: But you sleep well knowing like I treated everybody around me fairly and kind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's just back to like treat people the way you want to be treated and not like you know, any of us are perfect. I'm sure I've offended some people no different days if I was in a bad mood or something. But at the end of the day, like I feel like there's a lot of good people that have stood the test of time that I've been able to come back to.
Speaker 2: Oh, lovely, this is beautiful. Thank you so much for your beautiful words. Thank you so much for sharing all your mindset and wisdom with us moneymovers. As we run out of time for today, I want to make sure that we give you the opportunity again to share where they can follow you on social, where they can buy your candles, tell us again about dream Seekers, let us know everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so on all the handles on guappola g O A p E l E. You can go to gapla dot com to kind of find anything. But the specialized merch that I'm really excited about is on dreamseeker dot com, d R E A M S E e K e.
Speaker 3: R dot com.
Speaker 1: And like I said, the candles associated with the songs, two of three of them are out now and this month the third one will be coming out with my with my song Purple and Yeah and keep your eyes and ears open for Colors. That's the album that's coming out soon.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for helping us all get closer to our dreams and inspiring us in this conversation it was such a pleasure. Money Movers, make sure you follow go uply, make sure you get those candles, make sure you get all the visual art and IDs like invent your life.
Speaker 3: Let's go and thank you again for your time. Thank you, thank you for this conversation.
Speaker 2: Here's a sneak peak of next week's episode.
Speaker 4: I had success very early on as a production assistant and I was like, I know everything. So that humbled me, Tanya. So when I got to do the reality show and I was like, no, I'm meant to do this, and I learned my lesson. I'm I'm never going to complain to this day. I just I don't complain. I think complaining is and I'm going to say it, complaining is telling God he got it wrong.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to today's episode. If we helped you make your money move, please share it with your community, Scribe and leave us a review on iHeartRadio and Apple podcasts. Follow us on social media at Greenwood and visit us at Gogreenwood dot com for more financial tips and remember, money Movers, if this were easy ever,