Speaker 1: Hey babe, Yeah, babe, who are you with? Today's Outside?
Speaker 2: One of the most beloved characters from the New Girl universe.
Speaker 1: I want everybody to go. I mean, when fans watch the show, there are memorable moments, they're memorable characters, the memorable lines, and I think you are responsible for about fifty that.
Speaker 3: It's the I get recognized for the most. Really, yeah, it hands down, not even close. And I've been a regular on shows, this is still the one where people are come up and quote me lines, a lot of which I don't remember at all because a lot of this stuff was alts. You know, this is a show that, like I was like, Wow, you show up and you have your lines memorized, and you go into your trailer in the morning and there's a page two pages of alts.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yes, So we had this conversation we were discussing a prior episode, that spot episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was my first one.
Speaker 1: What is your first one?
Speaker 2: That's introduction ab outside Dave because you're asleep on the car on Jess's car, I'm can I get you anything? And you say coffee two percent? And we were like, is that was that like improved or was that in the pack of all.
Speaker 3: That was improved that The original line was just She's like, Dave, can you move? And I screamed something at her and that was the original line.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then I think Zoe improvised I'm gonna go get a coffee you want anything?
Speaker 2: And it's like, two, that's really funny, I said to the morning, even though I know the alts that we all used to get handed all the time. When we did the recap of Parking Spot, I was like, I feel like he improved that and it made me laugh so hard because it's so specific and the refined taste of the unhoused of la O milk.
Speaker 3: That was great. That was like it was I was supposed to be one episode and done. Really Yeah, and then I think Zoe after that, I mean that took like ten minutes. You guys were a well oiled machine by the time I got there, Like Outside Dave scenes were never more than like twenty minutes worth of shooting. And then I remember Zoe going, oh my god, that character's so funny. We got to have him back.
Speaker 2: Ooh.
Speaker 3: That led to like many.
Speaker 2: More interesting I don't know that's how that all happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, folks, So Today we are reviewing the episode First Date, First Date, directed by Lynn.
Speaker 3: Shelton, Late Great Lynn Shelton, Lynn.
Speaker 1: Shelton, written by jj Fhilban and Berkeley Johnsons. All the big hitters, Yeah, also in this episode, and I want to I want to start by saying this episode was the I'm going to say, the start of a very funny individual, also by the name of Ron Funches. Ron Funch is also on this episode, and I shot him a text. I said, is there anything you remember about this episode in particular? And he wrote me this note, which is very lovely. He said, my main memory of that episode is Lynn Shelton. When I auditioned that role was not shirtless, and when I showed up and realized part of the joke was that I was fat and dirty, I was very self conscious. Lynn saw that and came over to me and told me that I could either shrink or own the situation and made me feel so powerful and funny. And the first time I made you laugh, I felt powerful and knew I wanted to act and wanted to get my health together so I could be more than the fat, homeless guy. And I remember shooting there's a flashback scene where I'm on a date and he comes up and he starts singing father Figure, and I didn't know what was going to happen or who was preferred. I didn't know. And when he started doing it, when I tell you, I kept breaking characters so much that we kept having to redo it, I was in tears.
Speaker 2: Funny when you see the actress in front of you, you can see her break and she turns her head and she covers her mouth and her face and I'm like, oh, she can't hold it together. Yeah, And she probably felt a lot of pressure too to be like, I can't screw up this scene. This man is fully in song. You know. It's different than I think when you were like a regular on the show or whatever the thing is. But I watch her fully break because they just I mean, they gave him so much airtime. They did too some times. He's the tag as well as well.
Speaker 1: So that was man.
Speaker 2: That's also just the power of Lynn. I have so many stories too about her just being able. She could just see when you felt vulnerable and you didn't have to really say anything, and she would show up and somehow empower you in that feeling. There's a reason why everybody. I mean, I have goosebums talking about it right now.
Speaker 3: That was my first time working with Lynn and we became great friends. Like she was when my mom passed away. Lynn was like really responsible for keeping me sane and like really yeah. It was during COVID and so Lynn and I would there's an app called Marco Polo where you video each other and Lynn would like every day check in on. Yeah, she was the best.
Speaker 1: That's great, man. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Such, she has such a giving heart. Man. We love her, We miss her. We're so lucky that we like got to be in her world for as long as we did.
Speaker 1: So you down to break down this episode with us absolutely, you know what goes through kind of beat my beat a little bit and also just you know whatever you feel like.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in this episode, Nick and Jess they go on their first official date. However, they flip flop more than a politician around Electric Year and it's you know, they don't know if it's a date or not, and it's a whole stupid thing they do. Meanwhile, Schmid and Winston they're afraid to They're afraid they will lose Nick, you know, because Nick is the glue that holds their friendship together and that will happen there for you if he starts to date Chest. So they come up with an elaborate plan to sabotage the date that includes free drinks, stealing a bear from the zoo, and outside days everyone's favorite homeless guy. So let's let's dive right into it. Let's start from the top. Winston tries to sneak into his room the phone charger.
Speaker 3: That is so mental for a premise, like they have one phone charge.
Speaker 1: It was like, what, well, when you buy a phone, it comes with one.
Speaker 2: Yes, well she was saying, just says it's a bonding thing for all of them, right, But then also like a joke that they're not all really doing it except for Windnsday.
Speaker 1: Like the fact that he's trying to like on the low like all this, Like, bro, just put one in your room, no one's coming.
Speaker 2: That's what she's like. I have nine phone judges in my phone in my room or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, what Jake says, His phone doesn't even take that kind of.
Speaker 2: Exactly right.
Speaker 1: What I found interesting about it is that the guys take action. They try to fight Winston. They like wrestle him down onto the floor and then Jess is like I got him. He's like, you don't.
Speaker 2: It's just walk away slowly, there's no problem.
Speaker 1: Okay. My favorite line of that is when Schmid calls you cannot run the Jewish.
Speaker 2: Jewish and then he does the run like you're just going why so much? You're gonna go so far with this ridiculous run, We're almost going backwards. You're going so slow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, classic Nick and Jess. They stand in front of each other, not sure what to say. He puts his hand on Jess's boob.
Speaker 2: By the way, like there was I also forgot that that ever happened.
Speaker 3: What are upper boob? Upper boom? Under said yes, and by the way, did you notice the hand physician and slipping.
Speaker 1: A lot of.
Speaker 2: Boob touches in this episode because they could not cut together unless it was very Kubrick of them, like we're just going to keep making everyone feel slightly uncomfortable through the cut.
Speaker 1: It was initially because he says he's an under boob guy, right. Initially my question when when when it was happening, I was like, is that a TV thing? Like he can't I don't.
Speaker 2: Think he could have grabbed her boobs I'm sure that's probably what was wanted, and it's like, you can't, so I'm just going to touch the upper part of your chest because that's as far as we can go in network television and then roll with it.
Speaker 1: That's difference between network television and like I was watching I was watching Anything But You the other day and they went they was touching butts and boobs. I was like, whoa, but PLA's going for it? Oh whole butt out.
Speaker 2: No, I've not seen you.
Speaker 1: Haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just watching this show.
Speaker 1: A lot of episodes, a lot of episodes. Jess shows ce Cee what Nick did you know? And CEC says it looks like the pledge of allegiance that can't be which can be sexual?
Speaker 2: Hand on hard, I got it?
Speaker 1: Okay, what else we got? Jess explains to CC it's Nick. He's never going to tell her how he feels that I was going to be awkward and she needs to stop thinking it's going to change. Now. Here's what I found interesting about this, this back and forth with them. There's so much Typically in a show, there's a lot of build up, the will they won't they, and then it happens or it doesn't happen. In this show, there's a lot of like, oh, we can't. Then nothing happens, then they have their own thing. I'm I'm not lying to you. I got so confused. I was like, didn't they already do it? Didn't aren't they already together in this? And I was like, oh my god, they're not.
Speaker 2: Like no, but this was I think like the gift of like Liz Meriweathers and I think white people love the show and responded so much. It was just so much of that was like real life and real relationships. It's messy, you made out and we shouldn't do it. Oh gosh, then we're back in as opposed to just like some rom com comedy where it is just the will they want they attention forever. And then in the final season, in the final episode, basically relationship time, like what but that's not real life. These are like people in their late twenties, they're living together. It's a bit of a disaster.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 1: There's all these characters we obviously we were talking with outside Dave, but there's always these characters that are that are mainstays for for tr.
Speaker 3: Tran, such a great happy Smiley yes, silent character.
Speaker 1: The interaction between Nick and him is always some of the funniest stuff because he's not saying anything. What a dream roll dream roll.
Speaker 3: That and coma.
Speaker 2: God be able to sit there smile and you can also tell again and when you know someone really well, how happy Jake Johnson is in that scene that he gets to sit there ramble be weird scene. He own the scene. But he loves being He talked to us about this before. He was like, loves being in a two shot with somebody. He likes to bounce off, you know what I mean. And you could just see why that I think probably, I bet you it's a similar story with the with the with the Trand character. Probably was supposed to be a one off and then Jake was like, no, no, keep this.
Speaker 1: Gem.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then you get to see into his mind a little bit. And then he practices asking Jess out on a date yes with Trand, which by the way, comes effortlessly unlike when he actually is in front. Yeah, it was just really funny. He feels more comfortable Tran.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: We're going to go to break and when we come back, we're going to continue to dive into this episode, there's a loss to talk about. We'll be back.
Speaker 2: First before we get into the storyline, right, which is you guys just trying to break this tension of Nick leaving the glue together. You know, he's the glue that keeps you and Wincident Schmidt together. I talk about this incredible episode with outside Dave, Steve tell us how did you get on the show? Do you remember how you were asked? Do you remember what it was like? Was their casting? How did they go down?
Speaker 3: So that first episode, the Parking Spot, a guy I used to do sketch comedy with around La Fred Goss was directing that episode and they were about to start casting it and he approached Aaron O'Malley, who was the EP of a show I used to be on called The Sarah Silverman Program. So I already knew Aaron and Fred said, hey, I know this guy's Steve ag who might be goad. Aaron was like, he's perfect. They just offered me the part. It was again one episode, and it was like one line, so it was not like a crucial part, and it just stuck. Zoe loved it. Yeah, the crew loved it, and my experience was I think The writers especially loved writing for Outside Dave. Oh yeah, because you can just be so weird, just out of left field with him.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about this episode in particular. Do you remember anything specifically about this episode? There was a lot happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a big outside Dave episode because he becomes inside Dave.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, usually Outside Dave episodes there is a pattern. It's close up of someone like Schmidt pouring out his heart. He's got he's got a conundrum. He's like, I don't know what to do with it. They're treating me like I'm a child, and it's a very deep, intense conversation. And then and they cut to he's sitting across the table from me at an outdoor cafe and I say something insane and then it goes to a commercial. That was My scenes were usually like fifteen to twenty minutes of shooting. Wow, very little. I showed up one day. Outside Dave was a mess, and I showed up one day and hair and makeup goes, you look great. There was one and I think it was a scene with you where I'm like giving CPR to a bug or something, and I showed up and they were like, all right, you look good, like they didn't do anything to me. I had a big beer because I was shooting something at the time. And yeah, but most of my scenes were just a there were very few multiple days with me on set.
Speaker 2: And did they just let you go and improv a bunch of stuff after you'd done the big alt pack.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We would always do the first the line as it was written in the and I would sometimes throw something out. A lot of times it was the writer in fact that scene with Schmidt and an outdoor cafe, it cuts to me and I've got a little action figure in my pocket and I take it out and there were a thousand lines of me what this guy is? And I think it was Matt Fussfeld and Alex who gave me the line. His name is Connor and he went to sunny Binghamton. I didn't know what soony Binghamton was, but yeah, that it was very very quick, quick stuff with outside Dave. This was great because it was like I was there for a couple of days.
Speaker 1: A couple of days I would say, I would say talk to us about let's let's let's dive into this actual moment. We're going to go back and we're going to talk about what's happening with the with some of the a story, but I definitely want to dive into, you know, some of the actions of outside Dave in the the hijinks. How do we get here? Help me set this one up?
Speaker 2: Well, how outside Dave becomes inside Dave? Do you remember that? Do you remember how the story?
Speaker 3: Yes? So you guys mean you guys come to me. I'm gonna raise this. You guys come to me outside and you're like, Dave, how what would it cost to get you to break up a date? And I'm like four million dollars and something else? My part is YouTube turning away, he goes and Max going, I don't have you have roommates four million? And then you're like, how about two sandwiches and something.
Speaker 2: Home cooked sandwiches?
Speaker 1: Cooked sandwiches also the.
Speaker 2: Greatest thing home cooked sand.
Speaker 3: And my counter is one sandwich. And then we later cut to you guys letting me into the loft and I immediately knock something over and run.
Speaker 1: Yes, you pull down that. So what's what's funny about that particular? Uh? What do you call it? The little stand with all the stuff on, It's like a football and a bunch of stuff. They were really particular about continuity of that thing because there are times where like I did improvise a bit where I take something off and they go, oh, we got to make sure they take pictures of it that stays the same way. And I found it so funny that you immately come in and throw it on the ground.
Speaker 3: But I didn't even know if that was in the script. I think Lynn told me. I think Lynn told me, like, knock something over when.
Speaker 1: You knock down pretty big.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of continuity right there.
Speaker 1: One of my favorites. And I don't even know how they they I don't know how they shot it because Jake talked a lot about in this In the episode Pepperwood when he's trying to break into the thing, the stunt he didn't actually do the stunt.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, when he's breaking into Edgar's shed.
Speaker 1: Do you remember filming when when Schmid had to come down from the thing and film that. Talk to me about that day there.
Speaker 3: So your bathroom, which was amazing on the show, had urinuals. Yeah, like that is so crazy. Yeah, I go in, lock myself in and Max hears me like using his razor and stuff, and he is freaking out, like so you know, OCD and neurotic, and so he's like, I gotta get in there. And so he goes up to your roof where there's a skylight and he lowers himself in and you just hear from the outside him screaming as he lowers himself in. And they did a reverse. Okay, there's a reverse of Max like hanging. I don't remember them shooting that, but it's a practical shot that they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was so confused when I was again because I didn't remember the episode, so I was like, where's the thud? Because you think he's just going to fall through and it's not. It's only when Winston then kicks the door in and then we see that you're holding him.
Speaker 3: We have got his leg and one leg to shave him his wife.
Speaker 1: My favorite part about that episode there's always a in a future episode I do this. I've always there's a bit that I've always wanted to just do because I used to write a lot of sketch and I've always wanted to do this bit. I never did it where you would show a urinal a line of urinals and you show just the backs of men pissing, and then there's one that's blank, and then you go back and you lower it and you realize some guys taking a ship in there. I always want to do that and and I just I just love the fact that you're sitting.
Speaker 2: There, how many you just kind of.
Speaker 1: Put together in the.
Speaker 3: Bathroom, And I love that you run in to save Schmidt and he's like, catch me and you do not catch him now, and he's still like, oh, you saved my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the bonded Now.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a lot of like flash forwards and flashbacks. So we talked about this another episode where Winston another another moment where I find it to be well. The New go writers I think connected dots pretty well where he's And even in this point, I'm not one hundred percent sure we've established him as a shitty, shitty prankster. When he's talking about shooting catching a catching a come on, I can't. I don't know if I'm you know, be still bear.
Speaker 2: So we have this thing. There's this big fan theory, Steve, just so you know that, and every single episode of New Girl, there is a mention a photo someone says it of the bear, a bear, any bear. There's just this thing because it's.
Speaker 3: So a bear mentioned in this one. H.
Speaker 2: I know, well, I would just like to say in season two, I have struggled a little bit a little bear. I believe this fan theory deeply. I have struggled a lot of it. And so when I watched this episode, I genuinely screamed out loud because because he gives me so much shit for it that this there is no truth in this theory and it is all instead it is yeah that says the word bear still out.
Speaker 1: There, shoot that bear full of Hepsi's.
Speaker 2: A breakup that Nick Jenson and Max.
Speaker 3: Is like, we wouldn't even need to give it. Restaurant would be fun, but.
Speaker 2: It's a too big, too small prank world. It's slowly being established, and I don't even think intentionally. They're just like, this is a weird, fun thing, and then they fully lean into it because it's just so funny.
Speaker 1: So let's go back, let's talk about let's talk about this date or not date, or them just going out to eat.
Speaker 2: Well, he wasn't very clear when he asked her at the door and just had some words fall out of.
Speaker 1: His mouth food.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very bizarre.
Speaker 2: And then gets dressed. The boys dress them, and I guess Winston is like a low key barber.
Speaker 1: Which is which is true to life, because we talked about this when we had Jake on the podcast. His hair he looked like he was wearing like a helmet, like a like a circular helmet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like, man, what and you did in real life help m with his hair?
Speaker 1: I told that true. Yeah, I told him. I was like, you gotta talk to the you gotta talk to the hairstylist. I was like, I think she's laying your hair down too much here. You gotta have it lower here in a little bit of And then once that happened, he became a sex symbol.
Speaker 2: And they wrote it into the show. They're just like, let Winston help them with the hair. Let Schmid dress him. Which I also feel like I have a feeling that Max would help Jake. We would have to go and your press things and be like, can you just what are you going to wear it? What are you going to do? Put the clogs off, man crocks, get the cross off your feet.
Speaker 1: So they're outside of this place. And here's the part that I don't know why it's a stupid comedy, and that it pissed me off that he kept getting Jaywalking tickets and all he did was step in the street fully go across. He didn't fully go across. By the way, you have to go.
Speaker 3: That is the great Brian Stack as the cop a writer on Conan O'Brien. You would recognize him on that he because the writers on Conan used to always write themselves into the sketcher, so you know Brian from and now he writes for Colbert. And I have a very specific memory of showing up one night to shoot and I knew Brian really well, and he looked mortified, and I go, hey, how is shooting? And he's like, oh my god. He goes, I don't know how to ride a motorcycle. He's like, and they have me on this motorcycle. He goes, we did a take where I get off the motorcycle and it fell over. He goes, I knocked it over and he goes, I am so horrified by that. And that's the take.
Speaker 2: By the way, it was one of my biggest laugh out loud moments because you can see, like just the way he's playing this character. He's the energy of him trying to be like a good cop and he knows he's going overboard, but he's just trying to do a really good job and he's so nervous, but maybe that's how he really.
Speaker 3: There's no coverage, it's the back of him going trying to pick the motorcycle. Oh dear. He's very like Wisconsin, midwestern. So that was a mistake that they kept it. But he felt so horrible. He's like, I don't know why they hired me. He's like, I think I might get fired. Felt terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why you never This is for any actors that are like listening is like, you never break in a scene, even if you make a mistake, even if it all goes wrong, even if you're in your own head of it. Sometimes it's the best stuff because it's so real. Yeah, and you made you fear, even though this cop had just been like so terrible to them. Yeah, they say you your heart went out to him in that moment because it was authentic. I didn't know that. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: There's a new law I think in Los Angeles County that you can jaywalk as long as it's safe to do.
Speaker 2: So I love they change it.
Speaker 1: They changed it.
Speaker 3: Let's go. They change as soon as we're done recording.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing you just said. He didn't he just stepped into the road. Do you for it to be called jaywalking? Do you have to like like a little chicken, you got to make it to the other side.
Speaker 3: In my head, it's at least halfway. I don't know, I've got made up rules, but I'm like, if I get halfway, clearly I'm trying to.
Speaker 2: But if you just get out of your car on the driver side and then drop a pack of gum and you're just like going to get like, what qualifies as jay walking?
Speaker 3: I mean we should I guess text Berkeley right now.
Speaker 1: Because I did the math on that. That's like, I think over one thousand dollars in tickets he got.
Speaker 2: Well, that was the part that made it something. Yeah, it was a grand He pays with you for a nick is like, might as well be four million dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It felt so crazy, and that's why it made me laugh so much. At the end of the episode, when he realizes there's Valet, yes, but he would never pay for Vala because he's so broke because he didn't pay for Vala. He made a grand in tickets, which also feels very la. They find a way to just make you feel like you screw up with your parking and get that money.
Speaker 1: This restaurant baso, Yeah, where is that that used to? That's in Hollywood. That's in Hollywood. I've been there a couple of times. Really, No, it was the.
Speaker 3: Sign of the restaurant was actually based.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that that was Eva Longoria's restaurant.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. We shot there again actually in the final season. That's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Dermot mulroney, Fancy Man was in this one.
Speaker 2: Fancy Man the only man we both ever loved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love when he's on the show. This one was interesting because what I didn't realize because his hair, sorry to keep going back to hair, he had the long old school like eighties Wall Street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Hall Street, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I didn't know. I that was shocking. That made me feel And I don't know why this thought went through my head, was that we shot this show like a long time ago in the eighties. I mean it was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Corporate Wall Street.
Speaker 2: The thing that made me laugh too, is when he approaches the table and they're all talking and then he's on a date, and right, I just related to it so deeply as a human being or at the energy goes my brandy. It was awesome, Like and also I'm here, Yes.
Speaker 3: That was awesome.
Speaker 1: Has any off? When I watched this episode and on this podcast, we talk a lot about personal experiences with the subject matter of this show. Any weird dating things in your life, any awkward will they won't, theys in your personal life, anything you can relate to and with this, Yeah, not not.
Speaker 3: On a level of this show, because obviously everything's heightened, but yeah, I've gone on like setups like blind dates, which are the worst, and you're like, what was my best friend thinking that I would get along with this person I have nothing in common with, And now I'm sitting across from this person for an entire meal and like trying to find some common ground to talk about. That's about as bad as Scott for me.
Speaker 1: I have. So there's a friend of mine and love her to death. Name is Margo Bingham. Margo, if you're listening, I love you. However, recently in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Never good to say however, well, I love you.
Speaker 1: However she goes. She goes, the more I'm going to set you up with someone, I'm going to set you up on a date, and she goes, I'm not going to tell you anything about this woman. I'm not going to tell you her name, what I tell you her race, I'm not going to tell you what you know, just pol job nothing.
Speaker 2: And I was like, tom Petty free falling.
Speaker 1: I am I still did it? Not yet? Because she keeps she's like, once you get back to La. She lives in La. She's like, once you get back to La, I'm going to set it up. So let me know. And I have been hesitant to let Margo know that I'm that I'm back in La, because.
Speaker 3: That's a hard note, don't hard, No, But also in my head, I'm like, maybe it's a famous person and you maybe.
Speaker 2: It's finally going to happen for you, Lamore, and you've been putting it out there. Zoe Kravitz was, maybe it's finally gonna happen, you know.
Speaker 3: No. I was at a friend's Halloween party this past Halloween and she walked past me as Rosemary from Rosemary's Baby.
Speaker 1: I thought I was going to say Rosa Parks.
Speaker 3: And she was with Channing Tatum, who was a giant baby.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's so funny, and it wasn't you have no chance they're funny.
Speaker 1: It was two.
Speaker 3: It was two people walking past me at a very crowded party, and I thought, oh, there's two old friends that I haven't seen in a long time because I recognized them, but not enough to put it put them in context. And so I didn't say anything because I was like, I'm going to fuck up somebody's name. And later someone was like, I think the best costume was Zoe Kravitz and Channing Tatum, and I.
Speaker 1: Go, that's who. That wasn't at all at all.
Speaker 2: I We'll say, Okay, so my date. The way I could relate to this episode is that, so my whole thing is like I've never been on a date, Like no one's ever asked me out on a date, and we've gone out on a date and like dated date until we've been together. Well, here's the thing, Steve, okay, is that when I started New Girl, I remember the guys on the show. So we would come up to me like I met so and so they said they used to date them. I was like, I've never I've never been on a date. Like I've never been on a date. And then it started to happen more and more, and it would be people that I'd be just like, oh, like you and I are like we're friends, and they would go for coffee.
Speaker 1: They're well, get a coffee.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, sure, we go get a coffee and I go home. But on their mind, just like the show, Just like the show, they were like, well, and so there's all these people walking around in these streets being like I dated Hannah and I was never on a date, never knew about a date, never understood this whole thing was a date. So I've now had many friends and be like, Hannah, you've dated it a lot of people, like a lot of people haven't dated you, but they didn't, you know, like the word date was never used. It was just like, hey, hey, they're feeling a vibe, right and they're saying like, hey, let's go get coffee. You free on Friday, And I'm like sure, and we would go get a coffee and then I'd be like whatever, like you know, they're just kind of like fade out and then or I guess I would fade out because I was just like, well, you know, they're not like my best friend now, like whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then when I got on this show and the show hit big so many people, that was like their claimer link into the show, like oh I love new girl. You know I used to date here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's like when Moby said he went out with Natalie Portman. Do you remember that? No, Like a year, like about two years ago, two or three years ago, there was a thing on the news where Moby had just, you know, as an aside, was like, oh, yeah, I went out with Natalie Portman a date or something like that, and they asked her and she's like what, yeah, no.
Speaker 2: Never, it never happened.
Speaker 1: Never, It never happened that happened to me once. I'm not going to name any names, but there was there was someone that I had been friendly with, sure, romantic friendly. Never. My girlfriend never dated. But when I tell this story about her, I just say it like, oh this girl, I dated this, this, this, and this. We never actually dated and it and it didn't dawn on me until the story came back to me. Oh sure, but she was like, we never dated, and I was like, no, you told people we dated.
Speaker 4: I was like, you're like, I was just saying, so we went out and did some I didn't want to I didn't want to be I don't want to be specific like oh we did this, this, this that I just said dated to throw it out and I was like, but no, I know we didn't date, so that that happens and it's and I've done that on accident.
Speaker 2: To say the words, I just was super clueless, like because in my human experience of my life, no one has ever come up and benleg I think you're cool, I would love to take you out on a date, and me being like, yes, I also feel the same way. I would love to see you at that restaurant to eat food in this date situation. So when I watched this episode, I could so deeply feel what the Jazz character was going through where you're kind of like clocking like is this wait a minute, hold up? Why are you in a suit? Why would we drinking to pain?
Speaker 3: I feel like it's not a date unless there's awkwardness at the very end when you're getting dropped off, like Jesus Christ, maybe this is a date. What am I supposed to do? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's I had that moment happen once for someone to drop me off after I thought we just went to get dinner as friends, and then they kind of leaned over that middle part of the car and I was just like, I was like emon them. The supermodel was like my neck along. Excuse me?
Speaker 1: Was this that Kanye and a dated? Kanye?
Speaker 2: The rumors that Lamurn likes to start to make my life seem more interesting because I have a very uninteresting life is kind of fun.
Speaker 1: You did it, Kanye? This is this is pre Rose Royce. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only thing about your private life I know is you walk around with cats on leashes.
Speaker 2: That's sure wit you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is some of the most.
Speaker 3: Like camping stuff with a cat on a leash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I don't want to like let them loose in the woods.
Speaker 3: No, no, I mean, if you're taking a cat, you have to have it on a leash. That's not something you see every day.
Speaker 1: You definitely don't.
Speaker 2: I took them on a big camping trip to see the world because they were both very very very old and getting a little sick, and I realized, like, man, they need to like they've never heard the ocean or like been to a mountain, and so I rented an RV and like took them on like this this big like bucket list.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: One of them is blind and like deaf, and so I took him the ocean and just hold them and he felt the sand and the ocean.
Speaker 3: You need a movie about that.
Speaker 1: What I'm doing, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Go on dates like, go on romance, take life ending trips with cats.
Speaker 1: This has been years, years of this bullshit.
Speaker 2: Bastel type to make the world go round.
Speaker 1: Nobody Hannah would come with my feelings, you know, Hannah would Hannah would come to work and be like crazy. First of all, she'd ask you how your night was, just so she could get to her story. Sure, but what did you do last night? How it works?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: First of all? Then I would have to selectively listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I would do a lot.
Speaker 2: We give all the details, very very detailed. I didn't need I didn't need it.
Speaker 1: And then she would go and she would go mourn who when I tell you? When I tell you? And I'd be like, okay, tell me tell me. She would like, I hope you're sitting down. We're in hair makeup. I'm clearly sitting down, and then she would go Last night, me and my man we did a buzzer and we finished about a bottle and a half of red wine. And I'd be like, yeah, then what it's like and we fellow sleep. Wait.
Speaker 3: I listened to an episode of This Isn't it white Wine? Because like, who drinks white wine? That's like a daytime summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she would brag about this and I'd go, Hannah, I just told you how I was. I'm not eve gonna get into it, but I'm like, your story not interesting.
Speaker 2: That's true. But I always say, like, the dynamic of our friendship is like Samuel L. Jackson and Bruce willis an unbreakable Oh that's good, Like we we both thank you, Like I understand it, the ying and the yang. We both have to exist for the world to be right. We have nothing in common except for our existential need for the other one to exist. We were forever bond.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: So we're at the end of this episode. We're at the end of this episode. Nick and Jess. They have a lovely I think, multiple attempts at having dinner. One thing that was interesting was that Russell's already sitting down at the table. They decided they want to come back. Then they literally made them move, which doesn't make it. It's so funny. But then they end up back at the loft and they have a moment where she's trying to open It's a very very you know, tense scene. That one made me go.
Speaker 2: And the beer gargle mm hmm, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: I was like, Oh, this is they don't do it.
Speaker 2: It is a thing I remember talking to a girlfriend once, but like weird things that that someone does that you don't know why, but just like makes you feel weird and you can't help O did you feel really weird about it? And so again when I watched like this episode, I was like, I can understand that people have You're not in control of that. You don't get to choose those things that if someone does like that made you feel weird.
Speaker 1: I'm like very specific about mine. I'm like, I like the way she's naked.
Speaker 2: And I'm talking about non se non sexual little things that just are you like surprising and you're just like, Oh.
Speaker 3: The cool thing about this show is there's not like at this point, there's not a will they won't they there's a when will they come? It's not like The Office, where it's like that show could have made a run and they never got together. Yeah, this, you know it's going to happen, and so you're just like, all right, I'm going to enjoy it when it happens.
Speaker 1: It happens.
Speaker 2: That's what I love about I mean, I really loved it in season one. I remember talking to Liz about it when they did it with Cec and Schmidt, which was like they slept together like almost instantly, and it was just what it was. But it was the emotional and intimacy that was so hard for them and scary for them, and they fought it so deeply, and Liz was like, well, that's because that's most people's experience, like as people are hooking up, and that's fine and doesn't feel complicated to them, but the emotional vulnerability and intimacy is hard. And the fact, again, I think it's the fact that she wrote how real dating life was happening, especially in that time period, and people just got it. And the fact that you just let Jess and Nick get messy and weird and dip in and dip out and get mad at each other about it and mad at themselves about it, and their roommates are now getting involved and frustrated with it. That it was the truth in that I think that is like the heartbeat of the show, and she kept telling the truth of how these real relationships worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wanted to also just say, because I know we're wrapping this up. But one of the things that I didn't and I was like, is this improvised too? That you said as outside Dave is when you hear him shaving and then you just hear him go, oh, there's bucks in there.
Speaker 3: I don't think that was I don't think that was improvised.
Speaker 1: Probably it made me laugh.
Speaker 2: So hard, like the delighted realization that there's bugs in the pubes.
Speaker 3: Maybe by the way, I remember ideas being floated around as the show was coming towards the last season. Someone floated around an idea that it turns out at the very end that Outside Dave actually owned the building, which I was like, that would be amazing.
Speaker 1: Which is so funny that when I was nineteen, I went to meet and some friends. We took a trip to California for the first time, and I remember being we were in San Diego, and I remember after a night out, one of the people we were with, we're going to get a tattoo, and there was this kind of like strip mall right by the beach. There's a tattoo par there. There's like some bars, some restaurants or whatever, and there's this homeless guy that's just hanging out outside, right hanging outside. Now we've been drinking and so we all sit down. We're like like right by the beach, on boardwalk, beach whatever, and we're sitting down, we're talking to this guy and now we've assumed he's homeless. Well, we didn't realize. We realized later on after he told us that he owned that whole strip mall that holes. Well, we were just like casual beach bums are a real thing. Yes, you know what, that's the truth.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's what's so wonderful about LA is that you never know. In La, people with money don't dress like they have any money. Oh no, it's like so you kads is like pick it out. You can't profile it, you can't figure it out.
Speaker 1: That's about who owns a ferrari and he and he intentionally keeps it one dirty and two always wears like holes in his sweatpants, like holes in his shirt. They're not like stylish holes like how Justin Bieber might do it. He has like he's genuinely like doesn't care with what he's about what he's wearing. And he has a lot of money and he loves his car, but he intentionally keeps it filthy. It's like the outside looks like shit, and he's like, who cares for him? So the tag of this is really funny. Back to Ron funchs.
Speaker 2: Ron, they I mean, you can tell how much they must have loved it, because when that did a lot done in this episode, you can tell there was a lot of story that to tell a lot of exposition flashbacks. I'm like, why it's weird between yeah, all this stuff and they let him go like in the episode, yes for such a and usually those pops are fast, you know, as you know, and then and then the whole tag of him singing Yota Go se Michli's song Father Figure h and then the Missus Doubtfire song.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, one of the funniest things.
Speaker 2: Caught me off guard. I remember the first time I watched that episode. I do remember the first time only time besides last night was I never knew that was shot. I wasn't there, Yeah, and I don't think it was written like that or that funny like at the table read, so it didn't stick in my head. And I remember crying, just crying because he was so funny.
Speaker 1: And we're gonna go to break and when we come back, Hannah, myself and Steve, we're all going to mess around a little bit. It is sexual thing, Steve.
Speaker 2: Now it's definitely not.
Speaker 1: And we are back, babe. So I asked this question earlier. Do you have any first dates that competes with the one Nick and Jess went on.
Speaker 2: You got to ask all these people that said they dated me because I was not there on those days. I was out there in a date capacity. You went on a date with me and said you went on a date with me. Share your story.
Speaker 1: I'd love to hear it.
Speaker 2: I was fully unaware.
Speaker 1: I've gone on a bunch of first dates. YEA, like a bunch, most obviously most of which didn't go anywhere because I'm single right now. But the ones that ended up in in like longer relationships, weren't a traditional first date. I dated someone for three years our first date was she she was like, hey, I'm at the driving range if you want to meet me there. It wasn't a I didn't ask her out, she was. I was like, we should hang out one day. She's like, hey, I'm at the driving range right now if you want to join, And I was like okay, and I met up at the driving range.
Speaker 2: But here, this is the thing, though, is this now just like an old fashioned idea of like asking someone out on a date. And maybe that's why I didn't realize I was on dates because I was expecting like a formal invite with the title to what our arrangement was going to be. And then maybe just people don't do that.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot of we should hang out sometime. That's like a really gray area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because also people are afraid of rejection, so you don't want to you don't want to be too formal and put pressure on that person.
Speaker 2: But I can get them hang out with me. Then they realize that, which is basically this whole episode. But then it becomes so confusing. We should talk. We didn't talk about this in the recap, and I and now I'm mad about it, because what do you think was on the valet cards, like what did they write?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, we never find out, we never?
Speaker 1: We find out later? Yeah later, yeah, out much later?
Speaker 3: Are we allowed to say? Now? Are you going to hold it till that? No? What you guys can tell me after?
Speaker 2: I just thought it was such a awesome moment because then you see Russell basically do them a solid. He's just like, oh, wow, you guys. Yeah, no, I'm running off with this thing like I'm not. I can't. It's too it's too hard.
Speaker 3: But in my head, it's like each one of them wrote something completely nonsense sensical, like Jake wrote apples, she wrote uppies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something, she's writing forever, right, she keeps writing and keeps writing. And I think he wrote like I love her and that's what my brain said. And then she's just going like, well, I don't know, and I don't want to fall apart. Like it's like that whole like inner monologue was going because it was so no spoilers. Yeah, but I don't know. There's no spoil I don't know if that's what it is. I don't remember what happened. Do you do remember? I don't. Yeah, that's why I'm good for this rewatch podcast. I'm watching it as we go, all right.
Speaker 1: So one of the questions was how many how many takes of Ron Funches singing do they have? I think they have a million? Was it different songs? I mean you were there, No, there was. I think there's like two or three songs. I think maybe I think maybe three songs. That's clear that yeah, and he I mean I read the note earlier. You know how he was discovering because I think some of the first takes weren't as aggressive, and then as time went on he got really into it. And part of this question is did I break? Did I break? I think I only had one straight take, and you know it was you're literally in tears.
Speaker 2: There's no way I'd be able to hold it together and be a mess because it's solid too. They don't like they're not editing like it's one take. They play it all the way through.
Speaker 1: Fun fact, when I when I when I was there, there was a lot of background in in like a holding area, and he had a cast chair, but he was hanging out in the background area. Holy Aaron, it was outside in like a tent or something like that. I'm not joking. I genuinely thought, oh, I don't know. I think that man. I think that that almless man is lost. I was like, and I didn't say anything that any body, but I was like that that man, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I was like, get the a d And I was.
Speaker 1: Like, why is he just kind of lurking around? And then because a lot of times you check out of the scene, like I knew what I was about to shoot, but then I was like, oh, that's the dude. It was just too real because he wasn't hanging out by his share you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like one of the first acting gigs for Run. He's a very funny stand up. Yeah, this has to have been one of its first.
Speaker 1: Like, I think it. I think the way he described it, I think it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the nerves around it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, last question in this mess around, Steve, what was your favorite outside Dave moment that you remember.
Speaker 3: The whole show or this episode the whole show.
Speaker 1: Unless you want to come back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, please come back.
Speaker 3: I mean they were all fun. The most fun was when I would have multiple days with you guys. There's another episode with where Zoe's dating I don't remember the character's name Julian Julian Morris, and Max is dating Zoe Lister Jones, and there's it's something to do with a noise like construction outside of the loft. And there had to be like a town hall meeting. And you say something to Schmidt just before he's about to go up and speak about his suit not fitting right, and he can't get through his speech because he's like now tugging because he thinks he looks terrible. And for some reason outside Dave is in the town hall meeting. I'm sitting there. And we shot it at the Masonic Temple on Islandland Highland and like right near the Hollywood Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Franklin and.
Speaker 3: Hyland and Franklin and and Schmid has a breakdown. He's like, I can't.
Speaker 1: Talk, my suit doesn't sit anyway.
Speaker 3: And I say something and I think I improvised this. I said, if you want, I'll give you my tailor's number. It's seven. That was the same episode where you guys are doing like a phone bank in the wow. I don't know. Anytime I have to hang out for like long periods of.
Speaker 1: Time, dude, anytime you're on set. We loved it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was always so great. That was always such a fun thing because it was a pretty intense show to shoot in terms of like the hours, and it was kind of constant, lots of rewrites, that's of alt. But it was always fun to sit there and look at like the call sheet in the morning and get to see who was coming. And we knew you, we knew it was going to be a great damn we were all going to get to laugh.
Speaker 3: Did you guys have a long drive like Fox Lot is? Like, no, not really central to a lot of stuff. What part of town where you coming from at that time, like Beechwood Canyon. It wasn't too bad.
Speaker 2: It was Fox was like a bit of a drive. But I remember two things. One, I lived in West Hollywood, like near the Grove. But our call times were so early, and most of us, if you were working that day, you were there all day. Oh yeah, because they would go faster on certain things and slower, so you wouldn't kind of get like, you know, your call times eleven thirty in the morning because you just have one scene for us, it'd be like everybody's here at four thirty am. We're going all day. We'll figure out when we're going to do your thing, we might want to put you in something it had. So that's why it was like a little more of an intense show to shoot, I feel it. So it took me like nine minutes because.
Speaker 3: I was going going forward to you guys got established. It was great because you used to have to go downtown LA to do the exteriors.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh yeah, and then we just rebuilt those on the stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, they rebuilt those. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had to go to set a lot earlier than people, well, not really set for about a season and a half. I want to say, I forget at least one full season. I was driving to a barber shop in the morning to get my hair cut then go to set. Wow, because they didn't.
Speaker 2: Have a barber Yeah. That changed, that did change.
Speaker 1: That changed quickly. I was like, man, I'm waking up at three am, three thirty to get to the barber shop at you know, four thirty, you know, five in the morning to be on set by six thirty. And I was like, this is crazy because they weren't counting that as mich As turnaround time. That's not you know, so I was like, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of growth in the industry around certain things that we I think also is are all of our first times like on a big show, yeah, or a lot of us for a lot of us, and I think that we didn't know certain things you could just like ask for, but they weren't industry standing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: I'm supposed to it's not supposed to be happening right now. Yeah, wrong, like fuck me, yeah yeah, all right, folks, We're going to go to break, We're going to sell some ship. All right, folks, we are back. We're at the end of our episode.
Speaker 2: MRD is the King of Segus.
Speaker 1: That's so great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, by the way you got you went to a break and you started talking to me, and I didn't know we were back earlier. I just kind of figured it out. Yeah, I didn't need I was like, oh, we're.
Speaker 1: Back in the room, folks. We're at the end of our road. Here with the lovely, lovely Steve ag And played Outside Dave, one of the most lovable TV characters of all time, one of the most hilarious TV characters of all time, and of.
Speaker 2: The best lines in all of the New Girl universe.
Speaker 3: For sure, we hope that he comes back anytime. So tomorrow I'm going to be in Atlanta for six months. I might have to be Yeah, yeah, Atlanta. Can you tell us what you're doing? It's to Peacemaker. We're start in just a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Come on, is it so fun to do?
Speaker 2: I can't imagine job that's really fun.
Speaker 1: I love superhero stuff. Oh shit, Well, you can look for him there. You can look for him here, or on Hulu or on peacock where everywhere you can you know, stream shit from uh. But in the meantime, please go ahead and follow us on Instagram at the mess Around bod and go buy some of our merch. I don't know much. Stick your face on a mug. Oo'd be great. We'll give you. We'll be back next week with Bachelorette Party. Not to be confused with bachelor party.
Speaker 2: That's your probably.
Speaker 1: That was the Mess Around. This has been an iHeartMedia production. Our executive producer is Joel Monique. Our engineer and editor is Mia Taylor. Additional production from Daniel Goodman, Wendy Heisler, and Kyle Shevron. Our theme song was written and composed by Ronald jukebox Jackson, so we're gonna catch you next time.