Speaker 1: Of Course Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, You're in for a treat.
Speaker 1: This is QLs classic, the very first ever Questlove Supreme episode with Maya Rudolph.
Speaker 2: So awkward.
Speaker 1: Actually, small tidbit, this is technically our second episode.
Speaker 2: We had a pilot.
Speaker 1: Episode that never made it to a hair back when paid Bill was a guest on the show because he was a producer of an unknown play called Hamilton in Sesame Street. He was our first guest, but I don't know. The vibe was so good we actually kept unpaid Bill got rid of his episode. So yes, Maya Rudolph is our first episode and it's really crazy and awkward. We learned a lot, a hell of a lot. Hope you enjoyed my Rudolf QLs classic. Here we go two on dus.
Speaker 3: Suprema Son Supremo, roll call, Suprema sun So Suprema role called Suprema so so Supremo. Role called Suprema so so Supremo roll call.
Speaker 1: Her name is Questlove. Yeah, my name's not Rob Yeah. And with this radio show, Yeah, it's nineteen.
Speaker 3: Suprema son son Suprema. Role called Suprema son Son Supremo.
Speaker 2: Role called my name is Fante.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I drink breast monkey. Yeah, it wasn't never I play. Yeah, got's the beef.
Speaker 3: Roll call Suprema son son Supremo. Role called Suprema so so. Suprema roll called her name is Sugar, Yeah, Sugar Steve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't eat candy. Yeah, so I eat weed.
Speaker 3: O call Supreme Sun, Suprema ro was good, Suprema something something.
Speaker 2: Suprema role called My name is Bill, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I got first dibbs. Yeah, I'm fucking tired, damn cause I got kids.
Speaker 3: Call Suprema Son Suprema roll call Suprema sock son Suprema rod called.
Speaker 6: High Handboss Bill. Yeah, I listened to Prince. Yeah, I got so many hoes. Yeah, don't make no sense.
Speaker 3: Suprema roll call, Suprema Suthing Suprema role call.
Speaker 7: My name is Maya. Yeah I am not mean, Yeah, I am not a nightmare. Yeah, I am a queen.
Speaker 3: Roll call Suprema son son Supremo. Role called Suprema Southing son Suprema roll call Suprema Sucking Sun, Suprema roll call Suprema up s Suprema, roll call, Suprema su su Suprema roll call, Suprema suck, Suprema roll call, Suprema s supremo, roll call, Suprema suck, Suck Suprema roll call.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, people of all ages, creeds, colors, whatever you claim in life. This is questlove supreme. As if I needed another thing to do in life. So on today's show, we're joined by the incomparable Maya Rudolph. You probably know her from her time on Saturday Night Live. She was in the movies Bridesmaids. She has her own NBC variety show called The Maya and Marty Show. A lot of the other projects she's been involved with, and of course, you know, she's the offspring of a mighty musical pairing of Minnie Riperton and Dick Rudolph. And she's connected to a lot more people in the music community. So we'll be getting into that. So I don't know, like what we talk about. Did we talk about music? Did we talk about life?
Speaker 4: Let's talk about life music for a little bit, because they expected to talk about music, you know what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, Like, let's talk about I was life. I was life going.
Speaker 4: Life is going right in North Carolina where I reside. It's going cool.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm about to take a new step forward in my life. I'm about to start.
Speaker 2: Get merrick na. Oh no, I ain't getting married. Oh all right, but look at your faces, like no, no, no, no, no, I ain't doing that.
Speaker 4: I mean I got I got a lady and like we talking about get married. But I you know, I ain't doing the ship tomorrow, you know, But I'll let y'all know when I do it. We might do a quest a lot of supreme on site.
Speaker 2: Those with you won't be.
Speaker 4: Broadcast from there, Yeah, broadcast from the wedding. That's I tell you. So, I ain't getting married. Just thinking about my health, man, Like I'm seeing a lot of my homies man, like they are dying from like you know, old man diseases, like the young cats that's dying from ship like gout And it's like, nigga, how the fuck you get the gout at thirty five?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Like the gout? Do you know the gall you're feel with the gout?
Speaker 1: The gout, the gout, Yeah, the gout is Yeah, I'm good wait, why are you looking up the gout notary?
Speaker 2: Right now? I don't have to look that up. Yeah, it's like it's something in you.
Speaker 8: You have gout.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Probably you ain't got the gout. You ain't got you you can fit in shoes. You ain't got gout. The guy hits in your feet or you are like size what fifteen? Size thirteen? Yeah, thirteen? Wow, he got the gut.
Speaker 5: Let's just say what it is.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: So now I've been taking something about to start a new health regimen, man, and uh, when are.
Speaker 2: You gonna start?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: I was gonna start earlier, but I got called due to this fucking radio show.
Speaker 2: Chicken and Ship who turned that down? N Man, I'm good.
Speaker 4: So now I'm gonna start doing like more juicing, uh, doing like smoothies, Uh more raw vegetables. You know what I'm saying. I got like one of my ig holes on scamming. The scammer holes is selling waist trainers. I'm gonna get them probably, and she's selling detox T and ship.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. I might give me some of that, you know, just verifying? Yes, right, yeah, yeah, I g Yeah.
Speaker 1: The scau abbreviation, and then I realized that one of your joints.
Speaker 2: Instagram.
Speaker 4: Yeah you yeah, I see now. No, man, I'm just making some changes. Man, I want to stick around. I've always like been that. I've never had no health issues, andything like that, so I want to keep it that way.
Speaker 1: What's important because you know, back when we were twenty, our main concern was was bullets in the club, right and in the parking lot. And now like that, we're in our forties. The new concern is bullets and the driver's seat.
Speaker 5: Right, man, listen, come on, not real that too.
Speaker 2: And strokes.
Speaker 4: So you know that's not stroke jail. I lost the buddy, uh that to a stroke. He was I'm thirty seven. He was thirty eight years ahead of me. He had multiple myeloma, beat multiple myeloma and died of an aneurism.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I'm going to say next week we're only doing salads.
Speaker 2: Like wheat, grass and ship. How's it going, Steve? I mean it's like he's talking. I mean, we're talking about strokes, ship, right, We're really starting thisself on a very unhappy note.
Speaker 4: No, I'm laughing, laughing, I laugh I'm like, look, I'm happy just to be you know, alive right now, what very moment, What a time to be alive, in the words of our great negro poet future.
Speaker 2: Wait what about the other one?
Speaker 4: Oh and Drake, your inspiration got yeah yeah Drake, yeah, Drake as well.
Speaker 1: Not many people know, all right, For our listeners out there, if no, I mean if, if, if, if investigated, you will see that fron Tigelow is kind of Drake's spirit animal. I mean, he's going on record to say that, uh, Fonte is one of his favorite cats ever and that he kind of secretly wishes that he was in Little Brother.
Speaker 2: So I mean, you guys can do your research.
Speaker 4: I know you don't if he say that to you, look at his publics and check and be like, nah, I don't want to be a little brother.
Speaker 2: You know you guys are you guys are an inspiration? Believe it or not?
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, yeah, I'm aware. And the guess they tell us, they tell you know, it's all good, It's all good.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I know you feel like our influence wasn't there, But I swear to you I've only listened. I mean, I get a lot of yo pep pep peepe my doing real quick. Let me know, you know what you think of it, whatever, whatever, But you know, I mean, just on general, I don't do that because I don't want to be there for the law.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be susceptible to like a lawsuit. I mean that's big.
Speaker 1: But you know, I'll say maybe four or five times I've had a situation where it was like, okay, there's something special about this. Let me peep this blow was one of them. Slum Village was one of them. Jill Scott was one of them. Little Brother was one of them. Cody Chestnut, those five are. It was like, okay, I'm not going to use this as a drink coaster. I'm gonna actually some told me to listen to this and it was on.
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 4: Wait was it you? Yeah, he gave it to it. But then I actually in the rain, in the rain at Duke. But but yeah, well you it was a coaster.
Speaker 1: I remember a little brother because no, no, no, I felt bad.
Speaker 2: All right, it started raining. This is a duke. This is a duke. This is like two thousand.
Speaker 1: My phrenology came out two thousand and two. We did our annual like we were doing Duke on the regular. There was like the fifth year in a row we did Duke and uh it started raining, and one of our members of the group, who will remain nameless, kind of you know, through a fit about getting electrocuted. And I'm walking on stage, and so I felt like we should stop because you know, maybe we won't get electrocuted. But I'm the type of person that I actually want to play on but I felt bad, so.
Speaker 2: I figured, let me just go in the audience and shake some hands, something I never do. Like I'm not saying like I'm the avoid my crowd, as you know. I was like, y'a ab my job, Y'll get hel long.
Speaker 1: I wanted to shake ass and then you said, yo, and yes you told me about little Brother.
Speaker 2: Yes I didn't. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: His versus, he cused, I custom the hell out wow, so wrong. Well, it was.
Speaker 4: It's just one of those things where you just don't know the future, so you kind of you know, so at the time, y'all were gonna give up.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I want to give up.
Speaker 4: We were just doing records and you know, putting stuff on the Internet was still kind of new at that time. So he quote unquote boot legged our ship and by putting us stuff on the net, by leaking it early. And so I sent him a a a highly emotional inbox Okay player. It was the emotions was high.
Speaker 2: What the fuck you? I'm gonna see you, nigga.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna take a plane in Atlanta. It was, it was real, It was it was contest. It was just the heat was coming off the keyboard.
Speaker 2: Side note. I once had a message on my machine, Yo, who bring child.
Speaker 6: Next? Yeah, one of these things we got to talk about the time he called me at work.
Speaker 2: What did you say to make it? Want to ring you? We'll talk about this on another episode. Bring it here.
Speaker 6: Peace, because actually we made peace at Brooklyn Ball like one night we were both he remembered, Yeah, he remembered, who is Wow?
Speaker 2: Like you are?
Speaker 4: His shrug almost, I don't know, Yeah, Yo is Gladd school man. Like all the cats you see popping down, tell you it all started with okay player, like all the hot podcasters, the like the movie, it all started okay player. If you could survive the lessons or general discussion, you can make it anywhere like.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, this is this is a result. This is the result. This is a result.
Speaker 4: So yeah, So our first account was me cussing them the funk out because.
Speaker 9: It gave out.
Speaker 4: So yeah, but I didn't know at the time that that was how music was gonna be.
Speaker 2: Like you just give the shit out, and you know, I.
Speaker 1: Mean you're pioneer because I mean with fruity loops and you starting foreign exchange.
Speaker 2: You know another you didn't even meet nikolay Nick like when you started.
Speaker 4: Now, we met in a lesson, you know, Me and Nick met in the lesson. He posted a beat and was like, Yo, this is a new beat by me. What y'all think. I was like, Yo, this is dope. You mind if I do something to it? He was like cool. So we just started trading files back and forth and so we were and this was before this was even before like Gmail, so you couldn't send big files, so we would be sending ship through instant Messenger.
Speaker 2: And he was in the Netherlands.
Speaker 4: I was in Durham at the time, and we did the whole record just through email and send it.
Speaker 2: Y'all are just the group without even having met each other. Yeah, we hadn't met.
Speaker 4: We didn't meet until the record was done and BB had put it out and they brought us together like to do some promo shit, and that was when we first met face to face.
Speaker 2: Pioneer, y'all, pioneer.
Speaker 1: Let's here for getting cussed out for Bill and and for for making commitments on the internet going down to the story. So you original going down in the dem it was, man, it went.
Speaker 4: All the way to fuck down in DMS. It DMS got me a record deal, DM got me a radio show. Wow, I'm on my way.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: So to all the people listening, your dream could be in your DMS. That girl that you scared the holler at, send her a picture, but not a dick pic because that's disturb me. But just you know, say hey, to send us something nice. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, you know what I mean. And just hey, shoot your shot, shoot a shoot.
Speaker 2: Not literally, Bill Sherman, how are them up? It's doing.
Speaker 5: Fucking fantastic. So I was life on Sesame Street, Bill, Life on Sesty Street's great man, really, big Bird, Elmo, Everybody's live.
Speaker 2: Get read the first season two?
Speaker 5: Yeah, season two, Season forty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I mean now that you have a new home, like, do you consider No, No, it's.
Speaker 2: Still season forty three, seven, forty seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: I've been there since season forty so yeah, wow, wow, wow.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 1: Congrats on all your Hamilton success you do man. Yeah, but I just feel like I just told you guys to turn up and eq certain things and pans stuff.
Speaker 5: But I believe you said that. Then we high fives and that was all my job. So it's all good.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean, but you were really like barking orders and you know, I was like, I didn't like that vocal take, sir, And that's.
Speaker 2: Sort of like you were. I was. I was studying, you know, I was observing closely. Here we are, Yeah, here we are. So what are your future plans after?
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, I don't think Hamilton Mania will ever die down, you don't. Well, you know, a movie's gonna have to come eventually. Yeah, we're going to say that's how you're going to get your oscar. Yeah, if it's good, you'll get your oscar that way.
Speaker 5: If yeah, if I worked on it, I don't know. Yeah, every one the thing about the oscars, everyone's convinced that it's just like this inevitability in my life, Like they just throw that shit out the window and I'm just catching it. I mean, you're motivating me, Like, what are you doing a movie? We're gonna do the Hamilton documentary.
Speaker 2: There you go. Let's start your motivating me.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I gotta get, I gotta get. Where are you your Oscar? No, you're not Oscar, You're.
Speaker 2: Grammy and me. I'm close called an Emmy Emmy right yeah, No, it's it's like I hear.
Speaker 1: That I have a daytime Emmy for this project I did six years ago, but I haven't collected it. Matter of fact, I'm the only Hamilton I that hasn't got my Grammy yet.
Speaker 2: Oh real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if anyone knows where my Black Messiah Grammy is and my Hamilton Grammy, I'd be very appreciative. Like right now, there are two Grammys out there with my name on.
Speaker 5: It that just just for those listening. If you go to to Quest Love's house and you have to go to the bathroom, you will find all the other Grammys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my Grammys are. I keep them in the bathroom. I keep them on display in the hallway out there, and and it's a paper weight.
Speaker 2: In here in this room.
Speaker 4: I want to be like quest Love when I grow up, I can use Grammys. It's goddamn paperweight.
Speaker 2: Dude, everyone does that.
Speaker 1: John Legend like broke four of his Grammys, Kanye the nineteen Jay, like no one displays the Grammys, Like even Michael Jackson's American Music Awards and Grammys are still in that Michael Jackson suite at Disney World.
Speaker 2: Wow, ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for miss Maya Rudolph. Yeah, Maya, thank you, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 7: It's a pleasure, thank you.
Speaker 8: I see.
Speaker 2: You know everyone here. You've worked with Fante Actually yeah, yeah, we both got fired from the same show. You guys got fired? Or why was it we need to get fired?
Speaker 7: They were never aired.
Speaker 4: It was Brothers in Atlanta. We shot in Atlanta, written by Diallo Riddle, Yeah, formerly of The Tonight Show and uh yeah man. She played a character and she absolutely killed it. She played a character named Charley, who was a nineties R and B singer, but she was like the washed up nineties army. She was like Mary j never had a hit after my life. Like she was like a Diana Howard.
Speaker 2: Actually, wait, I take that back, because Dina.
Speaker 1: Howard was recently as of this recording still trending on Twitter, and she came back with T shirt and my panty's own, So maybe she was more like a she was like Geena Thompson, Like okay, Geena Thompson, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But uh, and so I had to write songs.
Speaker 7: Uh, you wrote fantastic songs, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And she said you were her songwriter. Yeah, I was the you were puffy. I was the puff. I was the puffer. Were you clean or like, where's your character?
Speaker 4: The character was, well, I was well outside the show, like in the real world. I wrote the songs for and like me and Sunday Cruise. Sunday Cruise, you had two big hits. Her big hits was Sunday Cruise, which was like the knockoff Saturday Love, and then Psych which was like her big nineties bank head bounce in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: And so then like that was pretty much what it was. And so that was in like the real world.
Speaker 4: But then in the show, I played Andre and I was one of her background dancers that toured with her, and I had we had to learn choreo. We had to learn like choreo to dance. Yeah, I mean I can dance, but it was you know, we still had to learn some ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that was my first time working with her and I knew her work, but I had never met her before. And what we met, she exceeded my expectations total sweetheart, had a lot of fun on set. We met Keep Sweat. I don't know if that was your first time we met Keep Sweat. I got financial yesterday.
Speaker 2: I was kidding.
Speaker 1: I was was fixing my prescription in my glasses and he came in like and he he has ad like the way that he dances like an arch.
Speaker 2: I know we're in radio, so I can't exactly described, but he.
Speaker 1: Even walks like he's doing the wop like a half while shame man like.
Speaker 2: He talked just like he's saying yeah. He talked just like he said, yeah, man, Keith, what yesterday? Yeah, so that was it. That was Atlanta. That was the last time we did that.
Speaker 1: And yeah, man, she just to So the company didn't love a show that's associated with it was a pilot.
Speaker 2: We shot a pilot.
Speaker 1: See, but doesn't every pilot kind of sort of suck, with the exception of the Sopranos, Like what what pilot?
Speaker 7: It didn't suck.
Speaker 4: No, the pilot was hilarious. That was even more surprising to me, Like, you know, wow, but I don't know why.
Speaker 7: I think it doesn't always have to do with whether it's good or not. Honestly, I think it's whatever's on their slate or who knows to pay attention. If I did, I'd be too depressed to ever work again.
Speaker 2: So you're saying you get your heart broken often.
Speaker 1: Really, I'd figure like, right now, you're just well, I guess perception depending on who's watching it.
Speaker 2: Well I do.
Speaker 7: I have changed my attitude about it so that I don't get my heart broken.
Speaker 2: But you've got an occasional no, and we're going to give this role to someone else.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I think that happens all the time. It's part of the you know, it's part of the dystopian world of being a performer. I think.
Speaker 2: So even now as a well established well, I mean.
Speaker 7: There's always something I don't think about it. I remember, I remember the very first time I got cut I got cut out of the first anchor man, and I was devastated. It was so fun and I basically played like an Angela Davis Bank robber.
Speaker 2: Hilarious. Yeah, you and Chuck D.
Speaker 7: And Chuck D we were bank robbery.
Speaker 2: Wait, how did you see it? It got really well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I to put it out as like its own movie because it was like fifty minutes of footage.
Speaker 2: Oh that was like, yeah, it's hilarious.
Speaker 7: And that was the first time, like I was ever in something that I could not wait to be, like to show off about and be proud of being a part of. And all these guys that were my heroes and my I was new on us and now new ish, but.
Speaker 1: It was a big deal and so you just had to take Will and uh Adam Adam's worried that or you trusted not trusted.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that happens with the directors, like the time, you know.
Speaker 7: And then I and then I remember at the time I was heartbroken and I talked to Paul about it, who's all you know already was already like hardened and gristled by the.
Speaker 2: Wait. We're trying to we're trying to maintain what.
Speaker 10: Listen, I don't even want to add this because I wanted you to know that, you know, we're trying to maintain like a profession with the core me.
Speaker 2: But like as Maya speaks, like all this constructions to make chicken because I've had complaints.
Speaker 1: I've had complaints that I've not fed my family here at Courts Love Supremes. So now I go way out and I've ordered the mother load of Korean fried chicken.
Speaker 2: That we cannot eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, well you know what it's it's kind of weird because first it was mad for Chicken, then it was Mama Fuku, and now it's turntable chicken. Like it's the same. It's a speakeasy. Have you heard of the spot I've heard of. Yeah, yeah, it's a speakeasy spot where it's a Korean restaurant, but you go in, it's it's like it's hidden on top of a pizza spot. And then what's really weird about it is that the music they play him there is a very specific type of soul music.
Speaker 2: It's like right up your alley. It's like Marvin Ces. Oh, they playing liquor house shit, yes, c Richard Dimple Fields.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very specific like Frankie Beverly Maze is too No, that's too popular, it's just too Yeah, that's too like down home.
Speaker 2: Blues, yeah yeah, Bible Blue playing. Yeah, it's easy here Liquor music store house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at first when I went there. When I went there, I didn't know how to feel, because first of all, it was like you go there and you know, like in the movie when you go in the alleyway and the little slide door things, you only see.
Speaker 2: The eyes, Like what's the password? Like back then, you have to have a password.
Speaker 1: And this place is open till seven in the morning, and this is the spot you go to after you party all night in New York from four a m. Till about eight a m. It's on like it's overcrowded. So even my quest lovedness couldn't just get me in. I had to know the password.
Speaker 7: What was the password?
Speaker 2: I forget?
Speaker 1: I mean, this is like back when it was math for chicken, it was like five years agoword, Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's the password? Purple number one.
Speaker 1: So the point was that when I walked in, I first of all to be told that their brand of fried chicken was better. The way the person described it was like better than your mama's or your grandma's. So I already felt some sort of way. And then to see the the the cosmetic view of what I was watching, I was the only black person in there, but they were playing Richard Dimple's fields and explain.
Speaker 2: Like that to the people. To the listener, we have to be specific.
Speaker 1: There's a specific type of soul music that like you only hear south of the Mission Dixon line.
Speaker 4: It is like Melico Records has it. It's like the Melico Record's Greatest Hits, like the box set.
Speaker 1: Like, so you growing up in North Carolina, like you've heard Marvin Cees all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, man, Marvin Cees was legend.
Speaker 4: Marvin Ces's son follows me on Instagram, like Marvin C Life Goals Nigga. So me and Marven Zeze's son we kick it. So Marvin C's for the listeners, let's to kind of just giving. Okay, there's a song called Candy Liquor Okay, and this was a song that Okay, the genre of liquor house music, it generally falls under what we formally called it gues.
Speaker 2: Southern soul and blues.
Speaker 4: So you have these guys that are like, you know, Marvin C's you know, Riggie Dimmisfield's Roy cu Zz Hill, like Brain said, you know, these are just guys that were kind of like the underground rappers. They were like the two Shorts and then oh man, the precursors of that. So they were like kind of like the underground rappers of the soul scene. You didn't real learn stuff on the radio like that, but when you went to the little clubs, the little like speakeasys, the you know, the little hole in the wall joints, that's where you hear their records. And so Marvin Season particularly had a record that is being called Candy Liquor and Candy Liquor got It was about.
Speaker 7: It's not liquor like you drink.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, you ain't up on this one. It's not We gotta play it right now, man, I think we should can we? Okay? I'm not a shame no more. Have you ever heard this? I want to do? This was actually me and my mom danced to this my brother.
Speaker 7: Candy just makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not ashamed. I want to be your candy.
Speaker 7: Let me wait wait wait that blowfly, very blow fly, very heavy breathing.
Speaker 2: Why not? I think he might be doing that for real in the studio.
Speaker 3: I won you.
Speaker 7: I don't feel like that wheezing is It's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had his inhaling. Next little that's matter, I'm not lying.
Speaker 7: Well, that's clear.
Speaker 2: And this song is like ten minutes long.
Speaker 7: It goes heavy breathing and zerus Chris.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nine minutes and fifty nine seconds. Yes, because he wanted to remind you that his pull out game is strong. I can take it outside. This is the type of soul music they would play.
Speaker 1: And I didn't know how to feel being the only black man in uh a Korean establishment.
Speaker 2: Uh And they were serving fried chicken only and playing this music.
Speaker 5: Sounds like a lot, but I ordered a lot and.
Speaker 2: Was there every other night, okay every night. I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: So this is the this is the place.
Speaker 1: This is the speakeasy, yes, now known as Turntable Chicken, but formally Man for Chickens.
Speaker 2: I like these plugs.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Well no, I'm just saying, we're tying in all my lines, like you know, the foodie now, I'm bringing in the foody world in the music world.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: See that's how we do it anyway, maya, Yes, sir, Uh, I kind of want to start in chronological order.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: We know the powerful lineage that you come from, uh, being as though your father is H. Richard Rudolph or Dick Rudolf, Like professionally, was he Richard Rudolph.
Speaker 7: Or my whole childhood he was Dick Rudolph. But I think every record said Richard. But everyone's like your days Dick Rudolf.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't know like he became Richard like once he became like no.
Speaker 7: When he was like fifty, he started telling everybody his names Ricardo. We don't know why. So he was raised in Miami, so he thinks he's part Cuban, but he's he's Jewish.
Speaker 2: Okay, So where where were you born?
Speaker 7: Gainesville, Florida? Because my parents were my parents were in Chicago. My mom was sick of Chicago, and my parents met in Chicago because my dad was managing what was it called the Electric Electric Playground I think was it was?
Speaker 8: It was a club.
Speaker 7: It was one of those clubs that was like I forgot what my dad called it. But they were on those circuits like if you go to little like different boutiques they have, you know, they sell the tickets for these like bands that would go in like packs of two and three, like led Zeppelin would go play at this place in Chicago and this place in San Francisco and this other place, and my dad was managing the one in Chicago kind of.
Speaker 2: Like the house of Blues of the sixties.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like the sixties, Yeah, like smash you know, the it was very sixties, like what are those things called, the like the trippy like smash color thing where people like, yeah, you know, they like the visual stuff of like groovy liquids and shit in different colors. Yeah, And and I think the I think it was very corrupt, like the bodyguards were like black belts at like some karate places. It was it was something about it was very corrupt and bad.
Speaker 2: And I know that.
Speaker 7: He said he like went to deposit the money one night and like when he drove back, it was it was burning down. He thought it was like an inside job or something. But he met my mom there when she was in the roadary connection, and he said, and I quote him, they met on the steps and she was at the top of the steps and he was at the bottom. And then he got it was he like, he got way too into it. And I was like, I don't care about the story. You're still my parents, Like yeah, but they like saw each other. So they were living in Chicago. They had my brother there, who's four years older than me, and it was still Chicago then, like this is late sixties. My dad had like a long ponytail and like had to tucket in his jacket to hide from the landlady. And they had to like hide my mom and my brother because they were black, and so they just got tired of it, I think, and then they were like looking for places to go because my mom had just had it with Chicago. And but you were born in the seventies though, right seventy two, so that's even then the.
Speaker 2: Block was hot.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it's always been Chicago. Has always been in Chicago. Yeah, like it's never not been Chicago.
Speaker 7: I see, I don't know where they lived exactly. I know my mom grew up in the South Side, but I don't know where my parents lived at the time with my brother, and then they had friends that lived in this little Gainsville. Gainswell was a college town, so it was like quiet and a bunch of beause we only lived there for about a year.
Speaker 2: Also, hear that it's the music capital of Florida.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, Tom Petty is from there, and who else.
Speaker 1: My first show there was half the Roots only half of us made it, and because we needed the money, we still did it. Like I drummed, Rozelle did all the music with his mouth, and Tarik rhymed for an hour and a half and they're like, dude, this is the music Capital Florida and we never seen anything, you know. So that's where I learned the history of Kainesville was that.
Speaker 2: The lesbian sex Act show. No, no, no, that was yeah, sorry, everyone gets no.
Speaker 1: There's a four famous lesbian sex Act show that we did under an allise at New Eurekan Cafe in New York.
Speaker 2: It was common to Reik myself.
Speaker 1: We just needed a name to make up because we couldn't be the roots playing a free gig at.
Speaker 2: The New Eyreakan Cafe. So we made up Lesbian sex Act.
Speaker 7: And that got butts in seats.
Speaker 1: Yes, we debuted some things fall apart songs then, but this is before then. But uh yeah, so you only did a year in Kainesville, just.
Speaker 7: A year, and then they drove out to la because well, there's an actual story that I should know, like all the names of but a guy came from Capital and fat like my mom thanked him. I remember, I can't remember guys name. She was like, thank you to so and so for coming, like coming and rescue me from the gators. So he she had she had been on chess, you know, since she was a teenager. She worked at Chess Records when she was in high school, and she sang in the Gems, which was the girl group. She did another name though, well, Andrea Davis was My cousin's name is Andrew. That's why she was Andrew Davis. But I don't know. But Andrew Davis had her own like solo single right, Lonely Girl is the one I know. And then but she also did backup for stuff and the only thing I know about that she's not credited for. But weirdly, like when I was in college, my dad was like, we just got a royalty check for Rescue Me the Fontella bass song, So my mom's singing on that. Like she would basically, you know, be the receptionist and then if they needed backup, she'd run upstairs and do back up and then still like man the Desk.
Speaker 1: Couest Love Supreme Trivia Moment. Bill, when we first met, I'm sorry, Boss Bill, not unpaid Bill.
Speaker 2: Boss Bill. When we first met, I think you caught the copy of Thrust by Herbie Hancock. Yeah, how do you remember that? Who's the lady on taxi on taxi stupid? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I kind of have a Mary Lou Henter musical memory. I mean I could tell you, like, you know, the amount of times that people misspelled the word on Soul Train scramble board.
Speaker 2: But I can't remember to show up on time to like my own radio show. So it's like, you know, it's a thing. No, I'm very imperfect.
Speaker 7: Did you hear when I got here?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, because they they they deangelouded me. However.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but my point was that that I copped H three Andrea day forty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in Chicago the first day I met Bill.
Speaker 7: Wow, so we're connected.
Speaker 1: We're connected already, we're connected. So you guys, uh went to lay. This is weird because now if I want to find somebody, I could stalk them on the Internet or social media.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know how he found how he found her? Then and then that then the other part of the so we went, we moved to Laurel Canyon, and then my mom's like she was set on Stevie Wonder. She wanted to find Stevie. Wonder.
Speaker 2: Wait, we there's one crucial thing. We never said your mom's name yet, maybe we might want to do that. Who is your mother? So her mother of course? Uh?
Speaker 1: For those listening to Questlove Supreme only on Pandora, is is Minnie Riperton?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Considered to be one of the finest vocalists of all time?
Speaker 9: What was there?
Speaker 2: What was her octave range?
Speaker 7: I've heard five? You know this is she died in the seventies, so we have no way of proving any of it. There's no There's a lot of folklore behind it, for sure. But I've heard five, which is a lot more than I've I'll just say seven, say.
Speaker 1: Eight perceptions reality, I mean, people will say it and then people will believe it true.
Speaker 7: We can set it. We can set the record.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 4: Seven octave range great, I've actually read seven octaves before I've read I've read that she has.
Speaker 7: I'll be honest, I don't you know, I don't. I hear so many things I can't. You probably know more than I do.
Speaker 1: I know she can go high. But how what was her low register like? Because in order to really be five octave range that I don't know. You know your base game has to be on point.
Speaker 7: Well I'm low. I'm nothing but low, And nobody really has her voice in our family except her speaking voice. My Auntie Sandres got her speaking boys her her older sister. She was really close to who who's still one of her only siblings that's still around. And she sounds a lot like my mom when I talked to her on the phone. But she doesn't sing. I mean, I think when she does, she probably has some of that in there, but I don't know anybody else in the family who has it. My mom's brother was a horn player, but siblings. She was the youngest of eight whoa south side of Chicago, youngest of eight, so she needed to leave.
Speaker 2: Oh he's waiting for an inappropriate comment from vart No it was not, Well it wasn't, but no, that's the time. I mean, that makes sense because that was back in the day.
Speaker 7: Like, well, no, this is true. My grandfather was a pullman porter, and you know they always said that pullman porter's always had like you know, he worked for the railroad, so oways say he had he might have had more kids. Importers go from one place to another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I know that back then I mean at least with farm house mentality. The thing is that you have a lot of kids so that you can have hands, yeah, to work on your farm or Jackson's or you know, however you.
Speaker 2: However you want to put it. So, what was your first cognizant memory of.
Speaker 8: Music?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just of the environment you grew up in.
Speaker 1: Like you don't remember that Soul Training episode in which you were crying through your mom's interview segment.
Speaker 7: M I don't remember it, but I remember that all that that era for me was. I mean we were on the road with my parents most of the time until I started school. So I mean when we were little, little sometimes they'd go out on the road and they take us with them, but pretty much, especially when I was a baby, I think my mom went out on the road for a minute and then she called my dad. She was like, you have to come with me.
Speaker 8: I can't.
Speaker 7: I can't be without the baby and without you guys. And so we were on the road a lot. And I remember being on the road with my parents, like I remember somebody lost a tooth in like some town with a casino and we got like a chip or something, you know, Like I remember like sound check to me is like I think it was it was me or my I.
Speaker 2: Think it was me, me or my brother, like a bar fight or something.
Speaker 7: No, like like the normal things that happened to a kid. But the tooth Fairy brought me like a casino chip because we were in like Lake Tahoe or something. But like like being on the road was very normal. And then like see my mom. Yeah, like being being in studios, being backstage, and like see my mom before the show, like before the audience was there. All that is like tied together as one kind of large memory.
Speaker 8: Really, Yeah, what would the world.
Speaker 7: Be like if everyone saw with their hearts instead of their eyes?
Speaker 2: I guess it would be like your smile, Mile innocent.
Speaker 8: Pure.
Speaker 4: Love.
Speaker 7: I wish every year with the year and the child so much.
Speaker 2: So the things you learn on Quest Love Supreme, only your own father. This just got real. This is why we don't need to pay unpaid.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 2: Well let's explain. Uh wait for those just tuning in, it's my Rudolph.
Speaker 1: Uh So we just played too many colors on Tina Marie's second album, Lady t and.
Speaker 2: Always knew of that song, never knew.
Speaker 7: That that was you do you have to listen to the event the very end.
Speaker 2: No, I know that song, but I never knew that was you.
Speaker 1: And what's like there was this a string of seventy soul songs where like somebody went in part like this wisdom on a kid like you and on cooler gangs, wold I'm peaceful together at once, you know cool well, young timmy.
Speaker 8: Like you.
Speaker 2: The thing was, now that I know that's you, I feel like you draw from.
Speaker 1: Her, like I I now see you channeling that seventies soul energy in your acting when you do any singer that you do, the way that you talk, like, I see you channeling that.
Speaker 2: Really, do you channel that moment or.
Speaker 7: I'm not not consciously? I mean my dad, I wasn't around the studio lot. My dad did that record because you know, we didn't have like babysitters and stuff then, so I would just like spend a lot of time. I remember when he was writing behind the He helped write behind the Groove, and he tell the story like I would sit in the passenger seat and like he would with a legal pat and you would say, like write this down, and I would like write down the lyrics for him.
Speaker 2: Another Xanna dude, did you know that spell xana do with.
Speaker 7: The X of course because of the movie.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think i've ever in the years I've known you, I've really never like thoroughly discussed your mom's exit from this this particular plant.
Speaker 2: But I definitely know that, Uh, that was the that was the first time that I had to deal with, Uh, I guess loss.
Speaker 1: Like my parents used your mom's passing as a way to explain to me what death was really yeah, because I mean at that time, I was eight years old. So even though my grandmom passed when I was five, like I you know, I they never told me or sat me down explaining to being like, Okay, this is what death is, and da da da da dah.
Speaker 7: So gonna make sense too, because it's also like easier to like explain it about someone that's like, you know, like, oh shit, what are we going to tell him grandma died? Then we're like, you're like, oh, make good stuff up. But then if it's like, Okay, we're sad because this thing happened and we have to explain, like I do, explain why the Freedom Tower was there yesterday, my five year old son and explain why the buildings were gone, and I just said it very like, you know, as simply and as matter of fact.
Speaker 2: And he could handle it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was like, why did they do that?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 7: But yeah, maybe because it wasn't someone personal, but it but personal in a different way. You know, your relationships with the music is personal.
Speaker 1: So that's that period in the summer of the seventy nine. I mean, was your father working on this album as that was happening, or my dad wasn't.
Speaker 7: Working on the record. Then he met Tina later. She was a big fan of my mom's. I don't know how they can.
Speaker 2: Your mom passing what July seventy nine, Yeah.
Speaker 7: July twelfth, seventy nine, but she had recorded her last record and didn't finish it when she died, so posthumously. Then my dad then he went in the studio and had That's when I got to meet the Jackson's because like people would come and like play stuff on each song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michael was on a I'm in Love Again.
Speaker 7: I remember my dad, I remember one of the I don't remember who's one of the Jackson's selfinge with my math homework and I was like, Jackson helped me with my fourth grade math homework.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't Michael.
Speaker 7: No, Michael was too shy. Michael Michael. They were in the studio and they were friendly. Michael was really shy, and my dad gave him, like I remember, he gave him like a Pittsburgh Pirates hat, because my dad's from Pittsburgh.
Speaker 8: Ah.
Speaker 2: Originally I didn't know that, but I but that's.
Speaker 7: Why I can remember, like people were coming in, you know, he was putting stuff on songs with different people. It's such a blurry time to me. It's you know, now that I have a daughter who's about she was, she's the age my daughter, Lucy's the age that I was when my mom died. Right now, she's six and a half, she's almost seven. It's so fascinating as an adult to see that person's she's so into me, she's so into her mommy. But she's a kind of a baby still, like in a lot of ways. And so my memory it's like, you know, because my mom was my mom, people ask me about her a lot, but my memories are are from a child's brain, so it's really warped. And I always talk about magical thinking. There's like a lot of my memory. That's like a little bit make believe because that's how kids cope.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You know what I remember about that record, that last album Stevie wanted his autograph was his thumb prints. Yeah, I would the first time I ever got in trouble playing with matches, like I get it. I get a big pin, then light the ink so it could spill on the table so I could put my thumbprint and just thumbprint everything.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, Stevie did it. Yeah, I was impressible that way. And also that Michael had an immaculate penmanship on his autograph.
Speaker 7: On that album because his dad probably yay.
Speaker 4: Go in.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So just that that transition period to.
Speaker 7: It was also transitioning from seventy nine leaving the eighties, leaving the eighties. I mean, sorry, it's such a trippy. It's such a trippy era to have such an imprint on my life. The seventies is is everything.
Speaker 1: I mean, how did you cope? Like did you have big sister figures? And like, well, who was there to sort of feel that void or just to who's there for you to leave?
Speaker 7: Really just my dad and my brother honestly, and I mean we were the only ones that lived in La because everybody we came to La. My dad's family was in Miami, my mom's was in Chicago. We were the only ones like out there. We were kind of on our own. So you know, when I come from like, you know, pretty big sized families, but everybody was somewhere else. I'm kind of a disconnection in a lot of ways, especially because she she was the only one that was like in the entertainment business in her family, which always as you know, wow, with death and fame and all that, that all just becomes so strange when people people die, it's it makes it makes family even you know, you know how it is.
Speaker 2: I know, so I mean your dad obviously.
Speaker 8: No my dad, my dad raised us.
Speaker 7: It was so my dad, I cannot believe, like he was in the studio all night, will like our housekeeper was like sleeping at the house so that there was someone in the house with us. And then he'd get up in the morning, make my lunch, pack my bag, send me off to school if he wasn't the one that was driving me as I got older, because that's what I remember, and then like go back to bed.
Speaker 2: Where'd you go to school?
Speaker 7: I went to high school in Santa Monica's school called Crossroads. That was like an already already school.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, was it a perfect So when did you realize that you did you always have a talent?
Speaker 2: Were you always singing around the house?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 7: I was I was singing. I was just like a ham bone, like always doing shows like my kids do now, like always doing a show. My brother was always playing sports. I was always doing a show.
Speaker 2: So for you, was it like I'm going to be a singer or yeah, I think I was an actress.
Speaker 7: I think it was a combo in my head of But I don't know where the comedy came from, because my dad says that if my mom wasn't a singer, she would have been a comedian. But I don't know anything funny, that's what he says.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I don't remember any of that. Wow.
Speaker 7: But but the music seemed normal, So they're all it's kind of a hybrid in my mind, you know. But I would go to shows, like I would watch people on stage and think that's what I'm gonna do. And then I'd watch a movie and say, like that's what I'm gonna do. But it was mostly like in my house, we watched a lot of comedies that it was like a lot of Melbrooks movies and stuff.
Speaker 2: Wow, do you remember your first concert not your mom's.
Speaker 7: I remember going to see Funkadelic and the mother Ship Landing. I was sitting on somebody's shoulders. I think we were in Chicago. I don't know what the first I mean if it wasn't my mom's. I mean, my mom played with George Benson, and I remember being at like it like the Greek Theater or something, just that perfect magical outdoor summer night, like don't dunk.
Speaker 2: Right, I went Broadway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So all your conscious were related to your mom in some sort of way.
Speaker 8: I guess.
Speaker 7: So. I mean the Parliament when when my brother was huge. My brother was crazy huge into Parliament Funkadelic when I was a kid, and so I think we I think we went to go see them because he wanted to. He was like infatuated with George Clinton when we were just the two of you together and some family members I don't even remember who, and then we were into the Silvers. We were really Me and my brother were really into the silvers try to remember, Like it's actually because I've been asked that question. It's so hard to remember, like the first first I mean, when I was like a kid kid, it was like Duran Duran, But that doesn't that doesn't count well because that was like my choice when I was like fifth grade, But when I was little, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: So Duran Duran was your first love? Like Roads on the Walls and all that stuff.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't say, was it first I really liked? I I was really in love with Stuart Copeland from the Police, thank you, and of course Sting but you know, and then uh and then and then I remember being like band wise, but my prince love was early. It just wasn't as much of a connection. Like like Dirty Mind was the first record that I really truly listened to and understood and you were I was little. Yeah, Because my cousin Ingrid came out from Chicago, she was much older than us. She bought that record. She was staying with us, and she shouldn't have played it for me and my brother, but she did, and we all like and the record players in my dad's bedroom and we all just like danced to it in our socks. But but then like I didn't have a poster of prints or anything like that, and I didn't, but it was like it was in there.
Speaker 2: Did you really what you were listening to? No, that's crazy.
Speaker 7: But I remember staring at the record and staring at him laying on the bed with his trench coat open, and I was like, wow, he's got a lot of hair under his thighs, Like that's man thigh. But it wasn't until when Purple Rain happened. Then I made like a conscious shift in a conscious stress. And I was eleven, I think, right, were you twelve?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I was thirteen? Yes, I was twelve, Yeah, you were twelve. You were allowed to see purple range?
Speaker 7: Well, my dad took me to see purple ring because he didn't he didn't know what it was.
Speaker 2: My mom took me to ring. I was my Rabbi took me to see.
Speaker 7: None of us knew that we were going to see Apollonia's boobies.
Speaker 5: So I didn't see purple until way later, Regular Bill.
Speaker 2: I didn't see until it was on HBO. Oh wow. So I'm the only one to which purple was like contraband in the household. Oh no, it was contraband.
Speaker 7: Oh you weren't allowed to go see it.
Speaker 2: Hell no, Prince was the Prince was the I got on. Like all my punishments was prince related.
Speaker 1: Really, I would have otherwise been the perfect child, except the day that, you know, I discovered Prince's music and then.
Speaker 2: You know, But it's weird because during those punishments, my punishments, I mean some of them.
Speaker 1: Were corporal and car and carporal, carporal, corporal, some of them were corporal because I mean, a black household, black father, you know, the belt is always used.
Speaker 7: My dad wasn't black, and he always talked about the belt.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm gonna go get the belt. In Austrata, it's.
Speaker 7: Just more of a threat. The belt was. The belt was the impending terror and doom.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get that belt and get the belt.
Speaker 7: Oh, I don't remember. I don't remember having the belt.
Speaker 2: I got the belt several times. I got the belt.
Speaker 4: I got the switch, I got the hot wheels race car track, I got I got a couple of things. It was pretty sure that comes to this child abuse flip flops, not like the like the like the cute see like the just the throng.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. Oh yeah, brother, it got it went down in the d M. Look at him. Paid Bill all traumatized right now.
Speaker 7: I don't know anybody.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: I got hit once for drawing the family on the freshly painted walls and crowns.
Speaker 2: My mom was that's a paddling.
Speaker 5: I mean yeah, was it like was it a.
Speaker 2: Tito Jackson moment?
Speaker 1: Like Joe Jackson beat Tito for breaking a guitar string, and it was like, oh wait, my son has talent. And then that's how the Jackson's became to be. Oh wow, he didn't realize that his son's had talent until he had to beat Tito.
Speaker 7: Jesus, you can talk about it. What oh what the switch did Jackson switch?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Nah, man, my dad has a doctorate degree in jacksonology. I mean that's why I had to be so you know. I mean, you know, I was always like the not the goodie kid, but I always did what my parents said. I was home before the light went out, and you know, I always joke to people that if I ever came home one minute after that Oprah theme, oh.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was my ass.
Speaker 1: And I mean even into high school, like I mean, it was just their fear of me being out on the streets in the eighties was it was too risky. So it's just like you come straight home, don't go record shopping, don't go to uh you know, you don't go to the arcade, hanging with your friends at the mall.
Speaker 2: You run home.
Speaker 1: So it was like, that's why I know Flight of the bumble Bee so well, because soon as school let out, it was like, like, that's that's that's pretty much what life was.
Speaker 7: What was the what was the Prince record that you got into. I'm just curious what the relationship was for your parents that said, like, all.
Speaker 2: Right, so Prince got introduced, all right.
Speaker 1: It's it's weird that my Michael Jackson obsession led to all of my musical knowledge because even those groups you mentioned, Duran, Duran and the police.
Speaker 2: And all that stuff.
Speaker 1: The only reason why I know all of those MTV ready acts is because you'd sit in front of m t V for hours waiting for beat It to come out, right, that one to watch all night long to do that forward moonwalking all night long or beat It or or nineteen ninety nine, So wait for that one black video to come on. You'd have to sit through Thomas Dolby and all these others. So after you know, five weeks of doing this, suddenly you know I'm singing like Hyperactive by Thomas Dolby and I remember.
Speaker 2: Yes, had like twelve it was Robert Palmer.
Speaker 1: No, no, Hyperactive, I'm definitely wrong.
Speaker 4: Wrong, thank you mind because Steve would have you see the smug look on base right now?
Speaker 2: No, how about I can't when I'm wrong. No, there's are right, there's.
Speaker 7: A Thomas Dolby. I love you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like waiting for Michael Jackson videos led me to just studying everything else because you didn't want to take your eyes off the television. And so back when I wanted to see the Rock with You video, knowing that it was coming on Midnight Special, Prince was the second song as a guest, I Want to be Your Lover, and.
Speaker 2: My dad just felt the need to add on.
Speaker 1: It was like twenty four hours later, and his whole thing was like, why is this boy wearing a diaper? Why is he wearing a diaper? So just the next day he says, don't you listen to that boy that was wearing the diaper, which wasn't like, you know, like when your parents tell you no, then it's like, oh, automatic, yes, I really didn't care, like I now know that with parenthood.
Speaker 2: And of course I'm not a parent saying this.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying that, if you are adamant about a no, you might as well tell your kid just do that. Do it, because I'm certain that Prince would have been just a footnote in memory had they not made a big deal of that boy.
Speaker 2: And his diaper.
Speaker 7: I remember Soft and Wet being I remember being exactly where I was standing. Our garage door was open, and we were in the driveway doing messing around, doing something. I had one of those you know, those green like inchworm things and you would like bounce on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that, yeah, yeah, And I was like.
Speaker 7: Playing with that or something. And then Soft and Wet came on, and I remember we were all listening.
Speaker 2: To it on the radio, like it's a very inappropriate visual.
Speaker 7: But I didn't feel that wrist slap of like, oh boy, we'd better turn this off, you know. It was sort of like, oh, this is a Prince song, and the song is kind of good, so I didn't. I don't, But then again, my dad. There was no concept of PC and my dad was so young, Like I mean, my mom and dad were like twenty five when I was born, you know, and so my mom was thirty one when she died, like they were kids, and I don't and that politically correct thing was not an ordinance yet, so you know, I was. We were watching movies with our parents because they were young and they wanted to watch them too, and we saw boobies.
Speaker 1: And but it's weird because I don't know, necessarily consider soft and wet that memorable to be that.
Speaker 2: Where was I when I first heard Prince?
Speaker 1: Everyone has a soft and wet story, like the first time they heard prints, which only because the circumstance that I was in I remember more. And he just happened to be playing at the time. My grandfather had just died, and my dad came to my mom said babe, come here.
Speaker 2: One second.
Speaker 1: They went out the room, and I never heard my mom freak out crying, so she screamed and everything, and I was like, well, Immie, you know seventy eight, I was seven, so I guess in order to just she old me and protect me from it, my sister just took me from the kitchen, took me up to the bedroom, got these big ass headphones and just put the radio on and Street Wave by Brothers Johnson was playing on wdas it faded out, Soft and Wet came on. And the only thing that I remember my seven year old self saying was that this is the same instrumentation that Graham Central Station.
Speaker 2: Would have used.
Speaker 1: Later I found out that yes, he also recorded at salis What's in Salcilda, the same recording studio, the same art, the same mood, the same patches, which probably explains is Larry Graham upsession and even that that's straight Graham Central Station. So that's the only thing I remember. I remember this song, I don't know remember here in this really worthy synth part that reminded me.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, like it was Graham Central Station.
Speaker 1: And that's all I remember about Prince uh And again leading back to they never told me my grandfather died. I just knew that mom was freaking out, and then she went away for a week and I stayed at my grandmom's house.
Speaker 2: But that's what I remember.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like really, it wasn't until I got into the time and then someone told me the connection between the two and then and then that's how I got to I finally caught up to Prince. But it really wasn't until the Time's first record.
Speaker 7: My brother got us into the Time, and then it started becoming I was like, what is this seven seven, seven ninety three eleven, like songs with phone numbers were so exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, but then by that point I just it was punishment every you know, like the church I went to had a sermon on why thriller was demonic?
Speaker 2: Party?
Speaker 1: Children and if any of your parents own this record, and they had a nineteen ninety nine record, and he turned it upside down, said, this.
Speaker 2: Is a penis, and this is a six sixty six. Your kids are being led and you know the six six six on there. Look nineteen ninety nine, right.
Speaker 7: I just saw the penis.
Speaker 2: I thought I was one with a football in it, you know.
Speaker 1: Again, unless you pointed out like, I don't know these things. And so it was just like then we went home. Don't you have this record of mirror?
Speaker 2: And they went to my room and took everything through it away.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 1: Then it snowed, and then I did some shoveling and got it back from the money that I earned shoveling, and then it was missing again, and then after that it was just like contraband, it was just punishment.
Speaker 2: So h and I'll stay between eighty two and eighty.
Speaker 1: Seven, life was hell in West Philadelphia based on all it was just hell, like you know, yeah, it was the best and worst times of life.
Speaker 7: Hi, that's a classic. Like you clearly like driven towards something in your parents. You know, you needed to find out. You needed to turn everything over and find it out for yourself.
Speaker 1: Like and I don't even know if I mean, I don't know if it affected me in a way that they thought it was going to affect me or not. I mean, he made me aware of shit that I didn't know about, Like you know, it's like what's a cherry and all this stuff? Like I would ask my friends in school like what does this stuff mean?
Speaker 2: Or whatever they explained to me.
Speaker 1: But really I was just about I'd never heard music sound like that, Like it sounded futuristic, and you know, I was obsessed with the patches and all those things.
Speaker 7: But I think it made me realize later because I put all the pieces together when I got older, that I wasn't really truly like identifying and obsessed with Prince until the revolution actually had Wendy and least in it because I could identify with girls in the band, and then I wanted to be in the band. I wanted to I wanted to be Wendy.
Speaker 1: So were you besides knowing Jill, Well, you knew Jill Jones during the Tina Marie period.
Speaker 7: I remember meeting her. I think, I think, if my memory surge incorrectly, her mom was Tina's manager.
Speaker 2: Who's her mom?
Speaker 7: I don't remember her name, okay, but I think Joe's mom.
Speaker 2: I think she.
Speaker 7: I think she worked with Tina. I remember going to their house or something, or maybe better at Tina's house or something like that.
Speaker 2: So you didn't put two to do together when you see the nineteen ninety nine video and.
Speaker 7: Be like, oh my god, that's late James way.
Speaker 2: Later grinding on Lisa for some strange reason.
Speaker 7: Best friends. Yeah, there's a lot of that's funny and Lisa best friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's yeah, yeah, anyway, Yeah, I didn't really know.
Speaker 7: I didn't know people's names yet then, Like I didn't. I just it was all about Prince to me. And even though there was a revolution like it was just Prince. But then because of the movie, I think it gave me like a little bit of a story. Whether I knew it was real or not, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Do you know that was Jill when you saw pe Arin or.
Speaker 7: I think so? Actually maybe not?
Speaker 8: Maybe not.
Speaker 7: I think I put it together later.
Speaker 1: Okay, so uh yeah, Princess, I'm skipping over, of course, the the part of your life of which a lot of our listeners know, which is your acting career.
Speaker 7: But I have to you don't need to tell them that shit.
Speaker 2: I have to.
Speaker 7: An actor, yes, Steve, I'm an actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So, like, what kind of stuff do you do?
Speaker 2: What? No? What what made you want to do Princess? Well? I feel like what is Princess?
Speaker 7: Princess is me and my friend Gretchen's cover band, Prince cover band.
Speaker 2: Cool. That sounds like something that people always say they're going to do but they never do.
Speaker 7: Also, we've been doing it for like five years and I'm forty three years old. Like, yeah, in a cover band, it's always funny in a cover band, but it's so fucking legit, Like it's just from such a hardcore, deep place of love and like like a burning desire to play these songs. She and I were in a band together in college and when we met what it was called Super Sauce. It was a nine piece funk band headed by me and Gretchen. You can find I think you can find our one video on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Get paid.
Speaker 9: We did well.
Speaker 7: We only played like locals. We went to school in Santa Cruz and we only played you.
Speaker 2: Went to school in Santa Cruz.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you see Santa Cruz. Isn't that one like northern California hippies. Gretchen's from the Bay Area, She's from Berkeley.
Speaker 2: Bay.
Speaker 7: Ari's got its own, its own thing, and up there there were you know, it's a small town and a lot like there's a there's a theater called the Catalyst, which is kind of the only like it was the only theater in town for a long time, and we would play there. But it was like when Nirvana came to town, they'd play there, or when Gwen when Gwen Gwen out, when No Doubt played, we opened for them because we were like the local band opener. It was a tiny, tiny town and then they had another place forgot what was called.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't think you'll find much Super sauce. But there we had one song that we wrote called Milkshake, and I think I think it was on YouTube. Well, I don't know if it still is.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll say it. Did it bring all the.
Speaker 9: It was pre pre.
Speaker 2: Fur oh? Uh def joke, it's all it's all so you stole it?
Speaker 7: Oh he owed us money? No we didn't. I don't even it wasn't enough.
Speaker 1: Well what I what I'll say is, uh, we did a cover that was just very recently allowed to sort of uh return to the internet, our cover Darling Nikky that happened on.
Speaker 2: Back then. It was Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
Speaker 1: And I have to say that he watched it and enjoyed it and loved the fact that you guys got the backwards part.
Speaker 7: That was when we went to go see him play. The last time I saw him play like a proper show was like that toy he was doing with Third Eyed Girl and we had to go down. He wouldn't play in l A and you got us in because of Ramadan, and we went down to Anaheim. He was playing in Anaheim. Okay, yeah, And I was so pregnant, but we were back that we were Uh. We went backstage afterwards, and uh he and he came out and he saw us, and the first thing he said to me was, Hi, y'all going to do the backwards part. I was fucking cool.
Speaker 2: That was a cool moment.
Speaker 7: Well, you had prepped me because you told me he he it was when it was it was guitar gate when when he came and through Kirk's guitar and he had been here and he played and you told me that he had mentioned that he he had it like recorded on his DVR.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Every time to the story, I was like, I was trying to picture, like where's his dvr? Like where is he?
Speaker 2: Is he on a bus?
Speaker 8: Is he in his house?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 7: Where is he watching this over and showing it to his friends? You said he was showing it to his friend. He told us that friends he watched it.
Speaker 2: I mean he does that often. I know that.
Speaker 1: When I worked on the Chappelle Show, Marris and him had spoken on the phone for like the first time in a second about that yes, Mars.
Speaker 2: Day, the Morris Day that yes, yes, right, I mean.
Speaker 1: My visit at Paisley Park. I was very shocked. You've actually been You've been to places, but I've been there a few times. I went for the first time. Well, I mean it's after he passed.
Speaker 2: You went as a pilgrimage. Yeah, as a pilgrimage.
Speaker 4: We had a show, we had a gig in Minneapolis, and Jellybean actually came out to the gig.
Speaker 2: And the next day we were we had a day off.
Speaker 4: We were traveling somewhere next I can't remember this, and we went there and I went out and the first thing came up.
Speaker 2: I was like, damn, this shit like a call cimer and like it just you know, I mean, it just looked real. You know, where the guy's watching you. I don't think no eyes watching me. It was, oh god, the controversy eyes. Like yeah. When I was there, there was a painting.
Speaker 1: He'd have these, uh I meant life sized paintings of his face from like various album covers, adorning the walls. And when you get to the controversy pic, you know, you know, like those.
Speaker 2: Three Stooges, things were like moving, Yeah, the moving eyeballs are watching you through the picture. We swore that he was watching somewhere on like hidden camera. Erica.
Speaker 1: Erica told me when she first visited Paisley Park. I said, did you see the eyeballs moving? It's like yeah, I said, oh where you freaked out? She's nah, I took my titties off.
Speaker 2: Oh hey, Erica, that's one way. Then that's one approach, she said.
Speaker 1: She trying to figure out where all the hidden cameras were. Paisley Park.
Speaker 2: She just took her t shirt off and she's like, I just show them these titties. Apollo legends. Yeah I didn't. I didn't make it. And we went this after you passed.
Speaker 4: This is recently, so we were just there and actually we were there and you know, it was people out, you know, like a.
Speaker 2: Police line or like a police tape. No, no, no, we went I mean this is like not like a little elevator. Nah. I didn't see the elevator. I didn't go in.
Speaker 4: We were just outside walking around. And so then the news truck pulled up. We'll be like, what the hell's the news doing here? And it was the day that they announced the autopsies. Oh so that was why I was like, oh, that's why they were here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well it's it's it's super normal inside.
Speaker 1: And the one thing I noticed was there were a lot of you remember there was a point where they had combo television and VHS for quarters.
Speaker 2: Wow, Like I feel like he really spruced that place up.
Speaker 1: I mean it came up, and it came up in eighty seven, but I felt like he had a redo in like ninety three.
Speaker 2: He redid the place in ninety six for the when the baby was supposed to come. Oh the entire place. Yeah, they like it was all white inside and then they did all the paintings and stuff.
Speaker 1: And then that explains it because well there were a lot of VHS TV combos everywhere. There was like a Sega Genesis. Uh, he obviously was or whoever was inside Paisley Park. They were really a fan of what's what's the Sega game with the cat that Sonic There's a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog games, and apparently a Tripod Quest fan because I found three copies of Midnight Marauders. I would say from the inside, his life was seemed pretty much normal. I mean, there was nothing that unusual.
Speaker 5: Except for the giant eyes and cameras.
Speaker 2: Yeah, except for the eyes and camera.
Speaker 1: Well, I know that I know that it's wired for there to be microphones anywhere, So if he has a song idea including in the Oh God, including in the bathroom for real wow, which kind of freaked me out because the invasion of had to be right, that's like a ship. On my second day there, I remember really having to go and so my solution was to just constantly flush the toilet.
Speaker 8: So you didn't hear nothing.
Speaker 2: End up on emancipation too. I think I drained like.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, I think I just drained out late Minnetonka. That's how many times that was Miss Maya Rudolph singing with the rentals. How old were you when you did that stuff with the rentals?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think I was just out of college. I did the five year Plan, so I was probably like twenty two. I got involved with the rentals because my friends, my childhood friends Rachel Hayden and Patrick Hayden warn a band called That Dog with my friend Anna Waronker and Warrenker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were just talking about well, daughter of Lenny Lenny Warner and Joey.
Speaker 7: Joey's her brother, so saying with his daughter, you I grew up with those girls and.
Speaker 2: Uh, she grew up with the girls of the Man at Sign Prince.
Speaker 7: Well, yes, Anna, I knew growing up and yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then Joey is the brother.
Speaker 7: Joey is her brother. Yeah, he's an amazing drummer.
Speaker 4: How do you know about the war on? Joey plays on like all the Beck stuff. He plays with Beca. He plays a couple of the cats too, but he's all over Beck stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah what is this man? I mean, very impressed.
Speaker 9: Fun.
Speaker 5: We are now re christened in the show as Liquor House or like Fonte Supreme.
Speaker 2: Right, it's now your show.
Speaker 7: Bro, My my, uh, my friend Rachel Hayden, who's a triplet. Rachel, Tanya and Petra are are triplets, the Hayden triplets. There there musicians as well. Their father was Charlie Hayden, amazing jazz bassist, and we all grew up singing together. We all grew up harmonizing together. And I was like an honorary member of their band for two seconds, but then I went away to college. So when I came back from college, they had recorded that first record with Matt Sharp from originally from Weezer. They were all l A local bands together, and so he put them on their card. Then he wanted them to tour and they were going on their own tour. So Rachel said, you should call my friend Mike because she she can harmonize and she can play keyboards, and that whole record it is just all the harmonies that those girls always did. Ah, okay, So that was why I ended up touring with them. So I wasn't on that first record. It was actually Rachel and Petra's voices.
Speaker 2: You played piano, yes, I played.
Speaker 7: I played the mogue.
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, just on that tour I did. I just played piano right now.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So we are at the point of our show. If you're still here, we're at the point of okay.
Speaker 2: So we're at the point of our show where we kind of do this thing blind test, which you know, we'll play you some music.
Speaker 7: Am I gonna have to drink something?
Speaker 1: No, you just will play it for you and you give some sort of commentary live on what you think about it.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, am I supposed to know this song?
Speaker 2: Now? You got to know it. You're not supposed to know it.
Speaker 9: Wall It sounds like I need to test drive and last night.
Speaker 7: Thinks I hear a little bit of Love as a Battlefield's not like little drum breakdown, he said, sounds like a lot of the demos. People would said my dad when I was a kid, and we listened to him in the car on the way to school and laugh. But is this somebody like Tom or or somebody who went on to do stuff.
Speaker 2: This person's sort of connected, was it, jo Joe? No, I like you close your eyes listen to this voice.
Speaker 9: Just wait? You nice and.
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yes you never paid attention to work. So I'm not a lyrics guy. I'm a music guy. I mean just from the what did you think?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 2: See the proper now threw me off. I need to see the two or before. Okay, so you're listening.
Speaker 7: It's related, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's Vanity's strap on Robbie Baby, which I guess now that a thing of its very apropos being as though the very last song she did with Vanity six was Vibrator.
Speaker 7: But I actually am shocked that I didn't recognize her vocal quality.
Speaker 2: It's very distinct. All right. This leads to our second song. That's it.
Speaker 7: Ready for the Whirl sounds like.
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it? R F T W?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: There it is.
Speaker 7: There's that voice months but making time. I mean I didn't listen to this song. I listened to O'sheila and not like an auxiliary Prince, you know, like satisfaction.
Speaker 2: It was like close enough, which one is it this digital slate? Which one dig this second? But this is this is actually one of my favorite filler ready for the world, like they did a lot of fast friends.
Speaker 7: So why did it sound like there was no ancient Sheila? And he said it.
Speaker 2: Big a little song about pop rad So did he just.
Speaker 7: Did he just use all the same machines? Is that how you got the sound?
Speaker 8: It's kind of.
Speaker 1: Weird because this this is actually I believe this is a d m X drum machine. So this is not even a line drum.
Speaker 2: But they often use the overheim and then drum.
Speaker 1: This is one of the rare times in which they're not using that. Here is your next song?
Speaker 7: Sounds very familiar.
Speaker 2: This is probably in the second place.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, by far of my Brenda.
Speaker 10: Breast song best songs that Prince never wrote. I'm sorry it is the chickens.
Speaker 5: Go bad to breath songs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well I know this artist.
Speaker 2: You probably won't. I mean, you should know.
Speaker 7: It's not Brenda Wait's a low voice.
Speaker 8: Isn't that Annie?
Speaker 7: Isn't that Annie?
Speaker 9: Lady?
Speaker 2: That was like, is this cam in the scene? All right, this is tomorrow and the scene. I I don't know how I remember she's got she zams on his phone.
Speaker 11: She did a minor stant with Prince in the nineties. Well, she's on that one eight hundred New Punk manopilation. Well, she was actually going to be a group, the Mambo Combo. No, well, Prince had a she had a project.
Speaker 2: Called Ucfly that Prince wouldn't old up a song. Wait what yeah, in like eighty nine or something. But really I didn't know that was her.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that was her.
Speaker 2: Margie Cooks. I consider this like a lead Prince associated.
Speaker 6: Prince to be the way I heard the song once with the strangest applications. It was a stickball a competition that Nike was doing like the somewhere like right off.
Speaker 2: The Kanowski, you know, and key Tip was USA. For some reason, we started playing this song like in the middle of the message.
Speaker 10: Wow, when you're starting to if you're playing this and you're you're trying to send a message to somebody like this is one of those cuts that you see where you want to let somebody know weaken.
Speaker 2: So this is the cut that you play. We're here all right, here's the next song, public Joy, Public Joy.
Speaker 7: I've heard this before. I'm telling you I've heard this before.
Speaker 2: Don't have to.
Speaker 1: Like Fante is looking off in the corner light, he can he can't put his he can't put his hand on it, but he knows that whoever say this often has to wipe back the activated curve or or do it backwards from or stroke his ear with the opposite end.
Speaker 2: It's kind of your rocket.
Speaker 9: To Killy's I Kelly's.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, you told me about this song.
Speaker 2: This is Andre Simone, Yeah, oh wow yeah. And Andre Simone left the.
Speaker 1: Controversy tour in eighty one, so Lark and Arnold left Capitol Records. I took a gig at CBS and signed Andre Simon. All right, so Maya, here is your final song.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, Dan, so much.
Speaker 9: For real Shake dun.
Speaker 7: Shake, then Shakedown, Shakedown, Shakedown, Shaken.
Speaker 9: Kill Me Shakedown.
Speaker 2: It's like the oh like Wild Girls, that's live like this, it's that same who can show me now? Okay? That was.
Speaker 10: Evelyn Champagne Shakedown, one of the main reasons why Jimmy Jam and Terry.
Speaker 2: Lewis were released from the Time for Moonlighting.
Speaker 1: Writing their first number one single for the SOS band Just Be Good to Me, was that he thought that they were also giving secrets away to other acts, Leon Silvers and producing just Keep On Loving Me by the Whispers. Prince never believed that Leon Silvers wrote or produced that song. He thought that it was Jam and Lewis using him as a mask. And Okay, so we got to rewind back. So how did you come across the attention of our beloved Steve Higgins, announcer of The Tonight Show and head producer of Saturday Night Live.
Speaker 7: I was I was performing at the Growlings in Growlings Theater in Los Angeles, California.
Speaker 2: How did you get in?
Speaker 7: I started from the I started from the bottom and now I'm here.
Speaker 2: You were getting You were getting coffee first, and then you worked your way up for no.
Speaker 7: I used used to take classes there. You start, It's like a straight up theater program. You like, start there, you take classes and you have to pass on to the next class. Then you start writing, and then you start performing. Then I started performing in the Sunday Company, which is kind of like it's kind of like JUV like Juvy, it's kind of like JV SNL like on a little stage. It's like UCB style, but UCB didn't exist then it's ucb's more more like indie and hip and this is just like been around since the seventies.
Speaker 2: Well, who puts you up to it? Like you said, you know what, you should go to the grounds.
Speaker 7: I did because I'd always I'd always wanted to be on Saturday Night Live. I fell in love with the original cast because my parents were watching it and so I saw it like I got I got an idea of it. And then when the reruns were on, then I fell in love with Gilda and.
Speaker 9: And the whole.
Speaker 7: The cast as a whole is like this New York idea, like I've got to get to New York. I want to go where those people are. And that was like later when they were sting reruns and then I could start taping them and stuff like I would, you know, I would tape everything off of TV that I liked.
Speaker 2: And then uh, he came in two thousand and one, right, I think so well.
Speaker 7: I came to the end of the of the twenty fifth season for three shows, so I.
Speaker 2: Don't amember a member of Fairmore.
Speaker 1: Nine to eleven episode was your first real episode, or Reese Witherspoon, Reese Witherspoon, that was your first episode.
Speaker 7: That was my first episode of the of the first official year. But I came for basically instead of instead of auditioning, they brought me in for the last I did an audition, which is so so stupid and weird, and it's a miracle that I ended up on the show. But instead I came and I had a meeting with Laurene because I met Higgins and t Shuan Shan, who was a writer, and they came to the show and they're like, you should come audition, and I had a janky ass man was like, don't do it. The contract's really bad. And I listened to her because I was an idiot. I was like twenty five maybe twenty six and old enough to know better. But I listened because she knew about it. And so I didn't come, and I don't know how, but I saw Steve again and he's like, you really should come back, and and then I got the call like come meet with Louren. I met with Louren. They had my tape, like I sent a tape of like my sketches, and then and then I came and I just did three weeks here and I didn't really know what the hell I was doing. Like they brought me in, they took my picture. That's that like on my first day. That ends up on seventeen and you're just like, what's this for? And then we didn't have a pitch meeting that day because John Gubman was the host and he didn't want to come in. I don't know something. We didn't have a pitch meeting on Monday, so we just started. I just started on a Tuesday. And I remember I knew Chris Parnell because he was from the Groundings. And I said what do we do? And he was like, we write? And I said till when? And he said all night? And then everyone's doors just started closing, and I was like, why the fuck am I suposed to do it?
Speaker 2: And you have a play mate? Who were you paired with?
Speaker 7: Well, me and Zach Galifanakis were weirdly put in an office together. But he didn't know he had auditioned, but he didn't know if he was there to be in the cast. Or as a writer, and he found out the hard way that he was brought in as like a guest writer. And we were just walking back to our hotel at the time like so bombed, like just disillusion and like we just did not know what was going on. It was so bizarre, and it was like it was like starting school at the end of the school year, when like everybody has a place to sit in the cafeteria, you know.
Speaker 2: So who warmed up to you first Molly and Will, and.
Speaker 7: I knew Parnell because they had Molly and Will had nothing to lose. They were like the prom king and Queen. So they were like, hey, how you doing. And then I had a mutual friend because Anna. At the time there were a lot That's the thing about the ground Links is that I knew that people from there went onto the show, and I was like, okay, so I got to go there first because at the time, when I got out of college, I was like, all right, I'm going to go to the Groundlings. That's gonna be my graduate school. And at that time it was the people that were there from the Growlings were Will Ferrell on a Gas Star, Chris Catan, Chris Parnell and who am I forgetting somebody else?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: In Cherio Terry, they were like five current cast members that were all out of the ground Links. I was like, all right, so what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna go here because I had gone to the Growndings. I weirdly, I was weirdly introduced to the Growndings theater when I was fourteen because I went to school with Jack Black, who was like a couple of years older than me, and this like theater kid that I just connected with right away, and he became kind of like my mentors. He was just like a little bit older and got me into improv and everything, and he took me to see the Groundlings when I was like fourteen, so I knew about the theater and then I knew it was in La Like it was a way to get into it because people out here go to Chicago, they go to Second City, and so I just went, you know, in my own backyard.
Speaker 2: Was it hard to adjust there at the Groundings? Yeah?
Speaker 7: No, it was exactly where I should have been, because it was like it's like when you find your people, it's like, oh, this is where I should have been. I shouldn't. Why did I go to college in the woods in like northern California and study women's studies with like Angela Davis, Like I should be here with all these you know, horny nerds. This is this is where I belong.
Speaker 2: Oh, God, see, I don't know if I want to share this story.
Speaker 7: And you're about to, you do I?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So I once dated a comedian and a damn okay so go in son yeah and Jewish no no, no no no. The thing the thing was was that we saw like like we were Me and my friends would watch her act, uh, and she wasn't fully developed yet as a comedian. And the thing was is that my friends started laughing at me because they were like face and mirrors.
Speaker 2: She's not funny.
Speaker 1: So every time we come to the club, they were laughing at me and at her.
Speaker 2: But in her head, she's like your son, I'm killing it.
Speaker 7: Like a stand up. She's a stand just stand up. I've never ever done stand that's a whole other animal. And that's even worse. Like that's why I won't do it, because like you fail at that, you're that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you have to drown first before you suscitate yourself and it's just like you gotta be horrible and then you learn the tricks of the trade.
Speaker 7: I thought that if you were if you want to be a community, you had to do stand up. So when I was in college, I wrote some stand up and I was like, I'm never doing this terrifying because I don't like to be exposed. I don't I really, I don't like to be vulnerable, and stand up is vulnerable. Sand up sam is so much more difficult, in my opinion, and I just like to be other people. I mean, it's that's what that's what I'm programmed to do.
Speaker 2: So well.
Speaker 7: I mean, I know, it's just it's just so much easier to be to not be vulnerable. And I'm sure when I was a kid, that's like how I hit it. And then I was like, oh, my friends liked this, should I should keep doing it. But I also think that being around music, I just developed. I think having a musical ear made me like a little like a like a parrot, like a little bit of a mimic. So I didn't realize I was doing voices and stuff when I was doing them, But I think I was just always doing them. Like if you tell a story about somebody and you're like, and then she was like why did you.
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 7: Why did you get the spicy check in? And then you talk like the person and then you realize like, oh, I'm I'm just copying sounds.
Speaker 12: I have a question, Yes, sir, do you think like growing up around music helped you with your comedy, like with timing and all that with rhythm and.
Speaker 7: I kind of think they're intertwined. I do I feel like they're.
Speaker 4: I do I feel like they're saying they want be saying and vice versas.
Speaker 8: Yes, they do.
Speaker 7: And I've never I've never I've talked to many musicians about this, and I've never gotten an answer why. But musicians and comedians are are each other's their counterpart, that we're totally connected, Absolutely, But I think I think that's because there are also skills that other people you can't just you can't just acquire them, You have to naturally possess them both.
Speaker 2: Do you think that the way you, in a sort of therapeutic way, dealt with Absolutely.
Speaker 7: I know exactly what you're asking.
Speaker 2: Because I know no comedian or funny person.
Speaker 1: Uh, especially with all the time that I spent at the comedy seller and really getting to know all those people, Like behind every person that's ever made me laugh, there's like a big giant bowl of pain somewhere in their backyard, buried somewhere.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 7: I would also I would also go out on a limb and say, I mean, I'm no therapist, but I would guess that it was also an active rebellion from my from my family. You know, my parents are musicians. So I was like, I'm not gonna sing because that's like, that's like my that's too painful, that's too hard, Like I don't want to expose that pardon me, because that like I don't even think I truly sang in my own voice, truly truly sang songs in my own voice, and publicly until fairly recently, I've only ever.
Speaker 2: Sung at like channeling other people.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because it was too painful because it was just like so connected to my mother. So I can sing a funny ass song like for the rest of my life, Like I can sing anything funny, and that's probably why covers are easy. But when it comes to like my actual my real voice, singing is very very intense for me, and I think the probably the natural, Like just the light from comic you just was so much more. You can hide, you can hide in comedy, and I can. You can hide and be a million things. And then I'd also just think it's so fascinating to like be mixed and then just like pretend to be other people, you know, because you're like it has so much to do with the time I was growing up, Like being mixed wasn't as cool as it is now, you know, like the cause we show everyone on the show was considered black, but like Lisa Bonet was mixed, right, you know, like people didn't even say what mixed was. And so I think it was just easier to like just pretend to like be other people. And it's just all undertwined. But yes, I think it's absolutely that. And it's also like that rebellion from what your parents do, you have to do something else, But it was also cool. Comedy was cool to them, Like my mom was, like I think I remember my parents going to see like Richard Pryor concerts and there's some famous I got mister Mister Rudolph and the Monkey.
Speaker 2: Yes, is that what it's called?
Speaker 8: I knew it fucking with my dad. Yeah, I knew it.
Speaker 2: I knew it.
Speaker 1: He had a character called Miss Rudolph that his mud boone character would have to give like a chicken's leg to like like an old toothsayer lady like Miss Rudolph was always a name that I always heard, and it.
Speaker 7: Was about my mom and she and he would fuck with my dad, like when they would be sitting there, but it was I think.
Speaker 1: I even have some outtakes of Richard Pryor concerts where like your mom was always in the audience.
Speaker 7: I don't three concerts in which I know that's what I heard too, And I actually don't know them as well as you do, because as a kid, I don't think they were exposing me to the recordings. But I knew about it, like enough, I need to revisit Miss Rudolph and the Monkey.
Speaker 1: Well, see the tables have turned now, because now I think it's like you're Maya Rudolph and that's Maya Rudolph's mother, Like it's not even.
Speaker 7: Well, that's again back to you.
Speaker 1: Was like, you know, the the escaping the shadow of being many Riperton's daughter as opposed to well, you know what.
Speaker 7: Though, that doesn't exist for me because I will say growing up, I didn't feel like my mother was a household name. I feel like people who knew my mother knew my mother, or they'd go or they'd know that song. But I didn't feel I wasn't Diana Ross's daughter, Like it was a different thing, and so people didn't know.
Speaker 2: How was that like for you? Like did you know that your mother was.
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like was that ever or did you or even like I think, did you know even like what your dad was doing, Like did you know that you were maybe a little more privileged or had you know then maybe other kids or whatever.
Speaker 1: Not even with like even our era like Tribe samples, where like many ripton was like such a yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 7: I mean that was really fascinating to me. Like starting college was when that Tribe album came out that was literally like half of it was like my mother, you know, or songs that songs that I'd grown up listening to and had stopped listening to because it was too hard to put those records on. But it was just becoming cool that like my friend who was like the DJ in college would play like, you know those songs where I was like, are you playing my mom?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 7: You're playing my mother's music. And then I was like, wait a minute, that's why that's familiar to me. It's that's my that's my mother, you know where that's like the beginning, Yes, exactly, And that was the stuff my dad and I would talk about, like because sampling was so fascinating to him at the time, and talking about that and what that had become in the industry because my dad's such an artist, and was like, but you know what that that to me was that was such a prideful moment of like those cool people know, like my people that it took.
Speaker 2: Me a long time to revisit music well.
Speaker 7: Yes, and also to realize that people were out there. Plus, my last name is Rudolph, so until I really started acting, people didn't know that was my mom. And then and then and then the other part about my mom that's just so fascinating is like people are so I don't know what it is. I don't know if it's because she was so young when she died, and it was like, you know, pre YouTube, we didn't have like you were the first person I ever met. It was like, I have footage of like your mom on talk shows and I was like what I didn't know that stuff. I thought all that stuff was gone. And people have always like used me to vent like their their feelings about her. I'm like this weird funnel for like mini, like your mother was so like and it's so I get stopped on this. Yes, it's so deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it told me like seven years to even start to bring it up.
Speaker 7: Like I was just like, I'm a big fan, but that's different and that's not I mean I truly like I'll get the occasional just random adult you know who will just be like it's like they're like, you know, and they just find me. And this was way before I was ever on the show or anything like that.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 7: But there's always been some layer of her that is otherworldly. I think because of that, that element of her voice being something else, something that feels sort of like non human to a lot of people, people just associate her with like something else. There's like I've just always gotten people stopping me about her in that way.
Speaker 2: I think it's because she's she's spiritual. She's in that Stevie Wonder category.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like because your mom didn't really come from the gospel background of black music, so I would say, she's almost the shade of her of that period, because shade, you know, meant a lot to black people and white people like but you know, she didn't come from a gospel, you know, down home background, at least the way that she project to herself there was like a class thing.
Speaker 4: I say, it was very classic my mother, I mean, my grant, I'm sorry. My aunt was a big Many Ribson fan and that was the first time I got I was introduced to her music. And this is like, you know, you talk about how your parents, that was the first time they usually talk about death, like her death talk about it. I remember my mom because my mom would play Loving You like just she would just play Loving You. And I remember here, I was like, Mama, who is that? And she was like, there's many Ribs. I'm like, oh, who is that? And she would tell me, oh, this lady, you know, she died and you know, and so then you know, I looked at the album cover and it was like, I think it Avengeans in Paradise. So she's with the Lion. I think that's the lion. YEP cover is that one? And so my aunt would have all our records and this is in the eighties, and so my aunt was like she was very this is kind of like she was like a black yuppie kind of you know what I mean. She was teaching school chat on apartment. She had the first like answer machine, like that was the first time I ever saw an answer machine ever. And so she would play your mom's music all the time, and it was just like what a Mi said, it was really like classy. I just remember seeing her and it wasn't like the disco stuff, like she didn't like you. I mean, y'all shot for records, so you know if you see an album cover and you know, and it's like nine niggas in.
Speaker 2: Silver suits and shit.
Speaker 4: I mean, your mother was always just really she just had her own things, just really classy. And I just always remember that do you ever see the lion attacking her video?
Speaker 7: Yes, you can see my dad coming in to make sure she's okay. It was like a promo commercial. Show was actually a recreation of the because I think we me and my brother were there for the photosoo, because I remember having ice cream and seeing them, like my mother is sitting next to a lion and we were like looking but we were like far away and everything. Like in the lion see my ice cream, it was a different lion the second time they shot it. Oh, and this lion wasn't this he's just kind of like panic. I guess he had been declawed, so she wasn't hurt or anything.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you see, and there's no sound so you can't.
Speaker 7: Tell if anyone's screaming or not. It was like somebody's super ereat care Chills.
Speaker 1: So I hear that you are going to be spending a lot of time in New York City, hopefully doing the Mayam Marty.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, what made you want to bring back the variety show format?
Speaker 7: This is what I do, and this is what Marty does.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: I like, what's that Martin Martin short?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's Martin Short.
Speaker 7: That would be a very different show, although I.
Speaker 2: Would love to do that, Martin.
Speaker 7: So yeah, the show is it's all the stuff that we love. It's it's music and comedy and performance based and really just all the elements of started love that I love that are, you know, getting people together and being goofy and all that stuff. But but I think like just just the stuff that I think probably is the imprint for all of us, which is people coming on and doing things that you didn't normally get to see.
Speaker 3: Them.
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 7: I just did a thing with Emma Stone and it was like a perfect example of like, that's why I wanted to show she and I sang a song together, and it's not something you would normally see her do, but those were like, those are the things that when you saw a variety show that you're like, wow, I didn't know that guy sang, or I didn't know that person was that funny or just like these just like extra delicious tidbits.
Speaker 1: Well, based on the super viralness of that particular clip that you did with Emma, First of all, how many times, like how many takes did you guys complete that?
Speaker 7: We only did it and we only did it twice?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 2: But wow, I can't imagine something over and over and over. Can you explain to our listeners who may not have seen that like what you guys did in that video?
Speaker 7: I saw these Swedish girls, this band called Errato, these girls from Sweden sitting in their kitchen playing butter tubs to do you know the cup song, which which I guess became famous. Kendrick did, Oh yeah, yeah, yes, So it's the same rhythm, but they did it to the Robinson Call Your Girlfriend, and they did these really beautiful harmonies. And I don't know why, but I was like, I feel like I heard Emma can sing. I wonder if she'd be into doing this, and so I sent it to her and she immediately she was like, wow, that sounds great. And then she immediately sent back a video of her practicing it and she had like picked it up right away. And my daughter, my ten year old daughter, Pearl, was actually helping me out with it, like the day before. My ten year daughter and my twenty three year old cousin were like showing me how to do the cups because I loved the song and I in my head I was like, yeah, let's do it. And then when it came time to do it, I realized, like, I don't know how to do it. Wow, But I didn't. We rehearse a little bit and it was one of those things like you can just tell when someone can harmonize, and she just she was amazing.
Speaker 8: She just did it.
Speaker 2: You guys nailed that. That was great.
Speaker 7: Thank you. Well.
Speaker 1: I hope, even for selfish main reasons, I hope you guys get picked up and you become a fixture at the thirty Rock Build until we can do projects together.
Speaker 7: Yes, please, that'd be awesome. Yeah, awesome, that would make me happy to well.
Speaker 2: We thank you very much for joining us.
Speaker 7: It's a pleasure, gentlemen, ladies that are listening.
Speaker 2: Lady two women.
Speaker 8: Dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we thank you very much.
Speaker 7: It's my pleasure.
Speaker 8: You made me.
Speaker 7: You made me feel knowledgeable about many things.
Speaker 2: We learned a lot.
Speaker 7: Actually did we learned a lot?
Speaker 2: Tonight, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Uh wow, this concludes the Quest Love Supreme Experience. Uh any last words, boss Bill?
Speaker 2: Uh none?
Speaker 6: Just to come back and check us out next week. Uh we start at Wednesday, Wednesday, Wednesday, one pm Eastern Standard time today Pacific standard time. I'll be listening and uh we replay until Friday, and then after that you can check out our mixtape feature and more songs. And this is the only time you hear. It's not like you can go back here. Oh no, no, you can't come back to hear. So you gotta you gotta listen, you know, between now and Friday afternoon or you are wow, you know you might well actually you know what they can listen to the you know, highlights from the show on the mixtape, but it's nothing beats hearing the.
Speaker 2: Full in the flesh, the full show. Hey, I pay bill man. What do we learn today?
Speaker 5: I don't even know where to begin.
Speaker 2: Are you just waking up? Yeah? Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: I'm waking up to the dawning of Prince Knowledge, of which there was a lot today.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I kind of overdid it on the Prince Knowledge. I apologize, but you know it's only going to get worse.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I think is probably the biggest Prince nerd until we get uh probably Fred in here. Uh as far as celebrities are concerned, who Fred Savage?
Speaker 2: No, Fred Armison? Okay, I mean yeah, Fred Savage, Kevin that wow? Yes?
Speaker 1: But all right, so you learn about liquor, uh liquor houses today on pay pill.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So maybe we show I'll make a pilgrimage to Memphis.
Speaker 5: Street and go to going forward, we should make pilgrimages to a lot of different places we speak of, like south of the Mason Dixon line. As we say, all right.
Speaker 2: We'll do that, We'll do the corn the corn liquor experience. So Sugar Steve, uh, what'd you learn to day, man?
Speaker 12: I learned that Gainesville is the music capital of Florida. Somehow, that's all you learn. I love Maya, I really love Maya.
Speaker 2: I love her. She's great. Yeah.
Speaker 12: I think we're just funny and interesting and talented.
Speaker 2: Yeah she is. She's amazing.
Speaker 12: I wish we could ask her her performance with di'angelo on the tonight show of Ah.
Speaker 2: Damn. I thought that was great. That was that was awesome. Yeah, well ask him about it.
Speaker 5: We'll just ask the Angelo about it when he gets here, yes.
Speaker 2: When he yes. But that just means we have to, you know, be on the air for another ten years.
Speaker 5: Right because if you schedule d Angelo now, he'll show up.
Speaker 2: I guarantee we're want to have DiAngelo on before the year's out.
Speaker 5: Damn.
Speaker 2: Okay, can we put money on that. I'm down to put money on that.
Speaker 5: I don't have any money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're listening to and you wittiness.
Speaker 1: If I cannot get Di'angelo on this show by December thirty first, twenty sixteen, okay, I will give my four constituents here two thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: That's five hundred each each person. Okay. I thought it was gonna two thousand. Yeah, really ten thousand dollars. Well it ain't nothing to a boss face. But okay, I found that's the motivation I need to make myself. Yeah, come down with all right? So are you singing Miss You? Right now? Now? He's doing the trading places this guy?
Speaker 12: Now I can go to the movies by myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sorry, I thought you were singing Miss You by Written by the Glimmerton Twins. Very expensive to clear Foo.
Speaker 2: Yes a dog man man.
Speaker 4: I learned U today about Mighty Rudolph that singing her is hard for her, to singing her own voice, which I found very interesting because I really love her voice. So she you know, she says it was hard for her, like she can do funny stuff and kind of hide, but you know, singing in her own voices is, uh, it's kind of intense and painful.
Speaker 2: That's and that was interesting to me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But I've never ever heard of I never heard anyone talk about the process in that way.
Speaker 2: Well, when you sing, I mean, don't you sometimes channel man?
Speaker 4: Honestly, with my singing, it kind of just happened, So I would say, I mean, for the years that I've been singing, Like seriously, I probably really just found my voice my voice probably like two three years ago, if that just because for me it was just you know a lot and I And that's why I could relate to a lot of what she was saying, because on the Little Brother records, I was just singing hooks really just as placeholders, just to kind of okays along somebody else come along, but nobody else came along, so it just keep it. But you're the Lauren Hill with that crew, like man, it was. I was just doing it just to get it down. So then once it happened, you put that evil on him. Ricky Bobs, Oh no, I show.
Speaker 2: Up the ship on time.
Speaker 4: It ain't gonna work on me. I ain't el bug al stand for late. I come on time to ship. I got cheering the feed and I got shit to do. So nah, man, I'm no, but yeah, it never I never saw it that way, so uh A lot of times I was just doing it just to kind of just hold that place. And then after the album came out, I was getting called. He was like, Yo, give me a verse, but we want to hook too. I was like, y'all really like, seriously, you really want to hook? He was like, yeah, we want, man, I didn't know that you were already home. I did not know I was already home. Is what happened with the Player Circle joint. That's exactly what happened. They denon at the time he wanted to produced that track. Donn porter who was Porter Isaac Sun?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, he's uh he did p IM for fifty cent.
Speaker 4: He's done like a couple of M records, like he's like Aftermath Crew, uh and D twelve all that, and so he hit me.
Speaker 2: He was just like, look, man, I'm burned out, just give me some hook ideas.
Speaker 4: I said, all right, cool, And so I did it and it was a song for Player Circle back in oh eight, I want to say eight or nine and before.
Speaker 2: He became two Chains he was titty boy and uh.
Speaker 4: Right right yeah, but yeah, but we did the record and so I just did a like as a reference and el Or you heard it and was like, yo, I like this kid, keep him on it.
Speaker 2: And that was at work. So yeah for singing for me. It never I never only until a few years ago, maybe like two years ago.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I was like, you know, what I really can do this and let me sing in my own voice, rather than trying to be D'Angelo or trying to be this person or this person or Mimicky, Oh, being Steve, Steve Arrington, the Great Steve Arrington with.
Speaker 2: The most epic ad libs all time. It's like it's like Mel Blink. I believe Mel blinks in the spirit Steve Arrington. I learned a lot today. I learned that I'll be really surprised if we're here next week. I'm playing.
Speaker 1: I hope you all join us, and uh, you know, we're only going to get better with time. We're going to be professionals by our hundred thousandth episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got put in We're gonna die together. Guy, how's that feel? I feel it? Man?
Speaker 4: This is pretty now, It's cool. I always wanted to die in a closet with fried Chicken and five other men. That would be just a great story tell at my funeral.
Speaker 2: On that note, ladies and.
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, until the next Quest, Love Supreme. This is Quest Love farn Ticcolo Jones, Steve Jenkins, Bill Thompson.
Speaker 2: Wait, why did I give you my last name? Because we're related?
Speaker 1: Because it was my last name Bill Jackson exactly. Uh, and we'll call her uh Maya Clayton.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: This is quest Love. I hope to see you next week. All right, goodbye.
Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.