Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jireel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in, We'll drive in Nick Right episode two fifty five. Uh. If you're watching us on YouTube, we appreciate it if you would subscribe to the YouTube channel, that would be greatly greatly appreciated. Hit the bell and you'll be notified whenever we go live. You can also subscribe on any audio platform, but the YouTube channel works great if you'd like to do that. Also, a little scheduling update. Show today obviously, show Thursday, then my wife and I's annual sojourn to Europe in August. We are taking Friday night and we will be off the following week and then when we get back by then Brew will be back from you know, his seven to vacation of the summer. First things first will be whole. We will be whole, and we will be full blown football for the next six months. So that's the schedule, Demons. Great to see you. I sent Demanse a great video this weekend of his mother and I coming out of nightclub on Saturday night, Saturday night, and there was a guy with an awesome Boa constrictor that the your mom had had just enough uh repisado sodas that she was like, let me hold that snake and I and uh, we got a video of that. It was a beautiful snake.
Speaker 3: You also sent me a picture of the Spanish thing with the dog.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought you were going to bring up.
Speaker 3: So did you did you know that there was writing on that or did you just see the picture?
Speaker 2: It turned it? So let me so let me We're gonna get to Olympic basketball in just a moment. But let me give context here. So we had a miniature schnauzer uh for sixteen years. I guess, well, I guess I had him for thirteen years. You because he was three when I came into the picture, so you guys had the and there was a tin. There was a small, like square photograph sitting on the kitchen counter, and it was Mo when he was a puppy. It looked like like or at least very young. It was a smaller Mo than I had ever seen and I and I saw it, and I got happy because that was my first dog ever. And I when he got old and sick at the end, I really took care of him. And I saw him and I just said, oh Mo. I'll be honest with the audience, I said, oh Moosi woes because that's what we called it. And your mom said to me, look at the back of it. And I look at the back of it, and there is some of the worst Spanish I've ever read. It was very clearly part of Demanse's school project or something where either he was supposed to write the description of the picture on the picture, or he was supposed to hold up a picture and like say what it is and was cheating by having reading off the back. Either way, it wasn't going to be successful because I don't think that was proper Spanish.
Speaker 3: Regardless, it came out to my dog. I fear great leaders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I saw that, and I sent Demanse a picture of both. It's very funny. Yeah. So no, so the sent Demonse a video of his mother and I walking out of a club and seeing a Boa constrictor. I asked the guy who was a ball python, because those are the snakes you have? He said, no, it's a boa and uh, and then send him that. All right. Uh. Somebody says, did you bike home from the club like Booker? No, this actually was a place within walking distance of my house. So I the there was a big Harlem this is Harlem week right now, and there was a big kind of block party right by Trentage where we do the show from. And then after that there were stuff going on a block away from us. So we just we just ended up walking down from there. Okay, here's what missed the cut. It's all Jets nonsense. The Jets traded for a player who wanted out of Philadelphia because he wanted a new contract. They evidently thought, well, you might want a new contract with the you know, defending NFC champion Philadelphia Eagles, but you won't want a new contract with the most embarrassing organization in the league will trade for you. That player shockingly still wants a new contract and now has demanded a trade before ever setting foot in the facility. Evidently, Woody Johnson gave Aaron Rodgers the Queen's honey. I don't totally understand this, Daniel tried to explain it to me. I still don't understand it. But I'm excited to read Ian O'Connor's book. And Rogers regrets his immunized comments. And if you read that excerpt, what he said was, yeah, I gay, that's the one thing the media could really hit me on. So at least from the excerpt, it wasn't so much. I regretted it because I lied. It was. I regretted it because I gave people ammunition. But I'll read the book at hole. Maybe i'll read that on the flight this way, I probably won't read it on the flight, to be totally honest, I don't have it yet, but i'll read it at some point. Get back to you guys on it, all right. Demon's Oh, so they're asking, is the book club? No, that was a failed experiment. I didn't really know how to execute the book club properly, all right, demonse, Let's get to it. Team USA.
Speaker 3: Team USA Basketball claimed gold once again after that legendary heater from Stephen Curry in that final game. Obviously, Bron played very well throughout. You actually called for co MVPs for Stephan Lebron, which I thought was very fair of you. But do you think this will be the last time that we see Lebron and Steph Curry playing high stakes games.
Speaker 2: It's on the board, which is unfortunate. It's also why, and we'll get to this more in a bit, It's why I'd like to see them team up. But first let's talk about Lebron and Steph and their performances and why I thought co MVPs would have been the way to go. Those two guys, along with Durant, were the story of this team. Three of the oldest players in league history, Three guys who some believe are three of the ten greatest players ever. Three guys who everyone believes are three of the twenty greatest players ever, all of whom are past their athletic prime. Reminding everyone that when the stakes are the highest, there's not a long list, and the list might honestly be one name long. Jokic of guys you definitively want over them. Now. Durant didn't really get to show it the whole tournament because he had the calf injury and you know, didn't really play or didn't play until in any of the exhibition games. But then in the first game he did play, what did he make his first ten shots from the field. But that kind of made him a clear third actor in this movie. And this tournament was about Stephan Lebron and the US was gonna win or lose based on Stephan Lebron, and Steph nominated Lebron to be the flag bearer. I still think the coolest image from these Olympics is Lebron holding the flag on the boat going down this pardon me the same, and Coco Goff there and the whole team there and this old man with gray and his beard being like, I'm going to remind the entire world one more time that I still might be as far as the ability to control, figure out, understand, make the right decision, get the ball to the right people, the number one draft pick alive even though I'm almost forty years old. What the And I'll get to the step part in a moment, but what these Olympics showed me start to finish was if Lebron wanted to say, Okay, what I'm going to do now in my career is be purely the Magic Johnson roll, that a forty year old Lebron James could be eighty percent of peak Magic Johnson. Magic might be the fourth greatest player of all time. Lebron in these Olympics played the Magic Johnson role better than Magic Johnson played it in the ninety two Olympics. Now, Magic, to be fair, was a year removed from playing competitive basketball because he had retired, but was still excellent. But Lebron's ability to read the game, read the floor, make the right play and then still and this is the part Demon's a that was remarkable to me. He's still the fastest guy on the court ninety percent of possessions. He can't activate it as often as he used to be able to. He can't play as many at that high of a level as he used to be able to, but as far as in bursts into end speed. The only guy out there who I felt on any team in the tournament that we the US played against, or on his own team that could have kept up with him was Anthony Edwards. It's the only guy. And when in the big spots, when Lebron got a defensive rebound and just said screw this, I'm getting to the basket. He got there with impunity every time at sixty five thousand minutes and almost forty years old, and he was the steady hand. And I know the exhibition play didn't play into who tournament MVP was, but I do think Lebron saving the US in those two close exhibition games played a role in the US's ability to come back again in Serbia because I think there was a sense of invincibility. And had they lost one of those quote meaningless games to South Sudan or whomever earlier, would they then when they fell down nineteen to Serbia, when they were down thirteen at the end of the third quarter, would they have said, oh man, this ain't we ain't gonna do this. And so Lebron, the fact that he scored in double digits every single game, had five plus assists in every single game, shot better than fifty percent from the field in every single game, led the team in minutes, rebounds, assists, field goal percentage, and scored in the tournament two less points than step So we ended up missing out on leading them in points by two total points. That to me is and I'll add one other point. In the Serbia game, if Steph was the best player, he was one bet. In the s A game, he was phenomenal in the biggest spot. That's the Lebron for MVP case. The step for MVP case is much shorter and much simpler. In the semifinals and the finals, he saved the team and was historically prolific from three. So in the semifinals he scored the second most points any play any men's US men's player has ever scored. That's what made that semifinal game so special. It was he scored thirty six, the second most points. Only Melos ever scored more. He scored thirty seven. Lebron had a triple double, the second Olympic us men's Olympic triple double ever uh. The previous one was done by Lebron twelve years ago. So two of the greatest individual US men's Olympic performance has ever happened in the same game. And then in the France game, those final three minutes will go down in history. Those final three minutes by Steph will be top of mind that people think about when they think about the greatest Steph Curry moments. And that final shot Demons is the iconic one because it was so laughable, but it was also kind of the least important one. The game was not totally in hand, but it was less than a minute left, they were up six. It was they were in good shape. The first one was the biggest shot. The second biggest shot, I would argue of the tournament. I'll get to the biggest shot in a moment when all of a sudden France had cut it to three and Steph with two point fifty left hits that top of the key three pointer to call everyone down, and then goes and hits three more. So there, to me was a legitimate argument for either of those guys, and I think they were so they embraced each other so much literally and figuratively in the tournament that it would have been really cool to have co MVPs. Also, I don't think the Olympics needs a tournament MVP. It's a weird thing. They don't do it every time. They did it in four and man who won it. They did it in twenty twenty and Durant won it, and they did it this year and Lebron won it. But I think Stephan Lebron sharing it would have been awesome. I also find the discussion around it to be telling because there has been an embrace Ofdeph Curry by some of the most vocal Lebron James fans that oddly has not been reciprocated in the other direction, where a lot of the most vocal Steph fans are you know, furious about the MVP or whatever it is. And I the I don't really care about that, but I find it interesting because the two athletes themselves have laid their swords down. There was a time when I don't want to say there was dislike, but there was. It was a felt like an on and off the court rivalry. And that time has passed where both of these guys know, man, we're not going to have that many more moments like this, and I think they really embraced this. I also, real quick before we get to the other stuff, found it was telling to me there is there are some folks that so dislike Lebron. They found themselves openly rooting against Team USA. It was like a weird and that's not guessing. It was folks admitting it and being like, no, I find this team unlikable or whatever it was. And that was mostly about Lebron, which if your basketball fandom has corroded your brain enough to where you can't enjoy what if you did not enjoy watching Team USA, then I just don't know if you're actually a basketball fan. That was some of the coolest basketball I've ever seen in my life, and it's something that will never be able to be duplicated again, And if we're being honest, had never been duplicated in the past, because you can say the ninety two Dream Team with Michael Magic and Larry, but Larry was in a back brace and Magic was a year removed from the league and the best player, and Jordan shot worse from the field than anyone in the on his team by a mile. The best player in that was Barkley. Jordan was the best player, but Barkley played the best. I should say, I don't know that we're ever going to get another chance. We're three Pantheon players all team up together on Team USA and all deliver special moments. And I'll get to Durant's piece of it again in a moment. And so if you can't appreciate that, then I don't know what to tell you. And so now let's get to your actual question.
Speaker 3: Demonse go Ahea, Oh yeah, no, I mean, my sakes, do you think I was gonna ask? I mean you touched on the MVPs. Uh, which which guy do you think had a bigger legacy boost with this Olympic run between Stephan and Lebron?
Speaker 2: I you know, I think they're very different. I think that for staph it was the one thing he didn't have. He had never played in the Olympics and he had never won a gold and so for him to end up, for him to end up these last few years have been really important for Steph to win the title without Durant and to then do what he did in these Olympics was a real reminder of what a killer he is. Like it's everyone's known, what a great shooter, what a great teammate, what a great ball handler. The two playoff run plus these Olympics reminded you what a killer he was. For Lebron, it's a different story. Which is it. It will impact his legacy more years down the road than it does right now whenever, like what Lebron is doing now to the record books and to oldest ever discussions, like I want that this is what's going to happen in five years. Okay, in five years, there's going to be a basketball game being played between let me think of what the example would be Jannis and Wimby and Wimby in the I'm this is fan fiction to a degree, so this is not a specific example, but just follow me for a moment. Wimby is going to do something in that game where he crosses this many points or this many rebounds or whatever, some threshold, and they'll put up a graphic and it will say the youngest players to do X, and they'll show Wimby on it, and the record holder will be Lebron because he's the youngest guy to hit basically every milestone there is in the league. And then in that same game, an old legend will be playing and it will show and they'll cross a threshold a forty point triple double, whatever, something like that, and it will show the oldest player to do why, And on that list, the oldest will be Lebron. Lebron owning all the youngest ever records and the oldest ever record. Lebron having two great Olympic performances sixteen years apart is a remarkable thing. So let me see if I can pull up the numbers, because I think that Basketball Reference has it. So the two thousand and eight So the two thousand and eight Olympic team, Lebron led to the team in points with Kobe a close or I'm sorry, that's wrong, Dwayne Wade led them in points with one twenty eight. Lebron had the second most points with one twenty four. So Lebron in that tournament in two thousand and eight on Team USA was second in points third, and rebounds second and assists. So top three points, rebounds, assists at two thousand and eight at twenty three years old. For him to then be top three in points, rebounds and assists for Olympics later at thirty nine years old is the type of stuff when they show whenever the next Olympian to get men's basketball olympian to get a triple doubleis okay, And when they show the list on the screen and it says Lebron James in twenty twelve, Lebron James in twenty twenty four, and this person. That's where his legacy stuff is going to crystallize, is the full width and breadth of the basketball life that has spanned multiple playing styles, rule changes, and generations. And so that to me is what is you know, where the legacy stuff comes in. And it's why I want Steph and Lebron on the same team. And we've been talking about it on this show, Demons, and you can ask the follow up question there and I'll explain.
Speaker 3: Week we've talked about it on the show. I feel like other folks have talked of it. Why is everybody cool with it now with Steph and Lebron? And everybody hated Katie for doing it a while back.
Speaker 2: Because again, people need to remember how long it's been. Katie joined the Warriors eight years ago. So Kati was in his absolute apex prime mid twenties. Steph was in his apex prime mid twenties. The last three league MVPs at that moment had been Durant, Steph Steph. The Warriors had just won a title and then laid Durant's team in the conference finals, and it felt like, wait a minute, these are two like this is this is a you can win championships on your own. You're on great teams. The Warriors just won seventy three games. The Warriors right now just missed the playoffs. The Lakers just got bounced in round one. And I listen, more people watched that game than have watched any basketball game of any sort in five years. Stephan Lebron move the needle unlike any athletes, any basketball playing athletes we have, and I just want to see them play relevant basketball games.
Speaker 3: Do you think that either other team is more likely to be playing in, you know, games that actually matter sooner than the other, Like if Steph or Lebron would be more like.
Speaker 2: I mean, I I think I think maybe the Lakers just because you have a d there, but they're so poorly run and they did so little this offseason, and I just want to see if Stephen Lebron could old man two man game their way to an NBA finals. And I ain't listen the I'm not above Adam Silver having an off the record closed door meeting. I mean, like, Lakers, Warriors or pick a thirty team, figure it out, figure something out. It's good for business, and it will create more intrigue and interest rather than these two guys on bad teams or mediocre teams. All right, there's the Stephan Lebron portion of it demands Uh, let's let's go through the player by player. Uh yeah, you want to.
Speaker 3: Go through the Olympics player by player, probably just to take a shot of my guy Tatum, but we'll see what it's all about.
Speaker 2: No, I do want to because I think, listen, this was one of my favorite Olympic Olympics ever and we can get more to that in a moment. But let's just go through guy by guy. I was trying to pull up their numbers as a whole, which I thought I was going to easily be able to do, but I'm not quite able to do it. Maybe, Daniel, if one of you guys can find the actual like their overall stats, just text it to me. I can do most of it off the top of my head. But we've done Stephan Lebron. Now I want to do Durant. Durant hit the biggest shot of the tournament the minute left up to against Serbia. The Durant Iso let me cook twenty footer was the biggest shot of the tournament, and Durant also to me, had one of the coolest moments of the tournament, which was after the Serbia game, when he says to someone recording, He's like, man, this is what it's all about. He's like, our families are here. We just played in one of the greatest games ever. Everyone here will remember tonight for the rest of their lives, and that's what it's all about. And Durant's Twitter post after passing Lisa Leslie for the most points men's or women's in Olympic history with the twelve guys sitting on the steps, I just thought was so cool and so vintage Kevin Durant, who Katie you know in this as he's gotten older, has been incredibly honest. Katie wants to weed, play video games, mess with people on Twitter and hoop. That's just what he wants to do. And he is such a pure basketball player with such a pure love for the game. I love it and I'm really glad I listen he is. I mean, he's got four goals, he's got the most points ever. If you say he's the greatest men's basketball Olympian ever, you're probably right. And that's part of the legacy. So those are the big three. Do you Demonse, do you have a guess on who I'm gonna say was either the fourth best player or at least the guy who stock, yeah, helped his stock the most. Do you have a guess on who I would say there, Devin book It is Devin Booker. So Booker had a really cool tweet where is somebody had tweeted like the US for twenty twenty four is gonna need somebody who will set their ego aside do the dirty work and something like that, and Booker quote tweeted it and said I'll do it and ended up doing exactly that. And Booker in this tournament played twenty two minutes a night, shot fifty eight percent from the field and fifty nine percent from three, and gave you twelve points, three rebounds, three assists. And everyone will get to Tatum in a moment, everyone mad at Steve Kerr for Tatum not playing having a big role. It was Devin Booker's fault. Devin Booker was too good, Devin Booker. And did Devin Booker's performance in this make me look at him in a more complimentary light moving forward? One hundred percent? He seemed to have no ego do all the little things, you know, couldn't miss, which helps always and was phenomenal and so yeah, I mean I the so I thought Booker to me was the fourth star. The fifth star was Aunt, and part of that's because of his play, and part of that's because of his personality. So Aunt only played sixteen minutes a game. There were some games where it looked like it was a little too much for him, and some games where it looked like he was just had fire, you know, fire breathing dragon and one of the one of the coolest moments of the tournament. And shout out Noah Eagle, who if you remind if you guys, remind me, we're going too long here. Put this in the notes. Remind me on Thursday to say something about Noah Egle longer for him. Shout out to Noah Eagle for capturing this moment as he did. But in the gold medal game, when Durant and Ant are on a fast break and Durant finds Ant for a lob dunk, that had to be maybe the coolest moment of Ant's basketball life, certainly on the short list. That's his hero, that's his childhood idol. Like all right, Durant's been in the league sixteen years. Aunt Edwards is twenty turned twenty three last week. So since Ant Spin, a third grader, Durant Spin, an MVP level guy, looked up to him, wanted to be him and then be in the gold medal game catching an alley oop from him, It's unfathomable. And I also loved the role like Aunt is so genuinely himself, where I don't know if you saw the video Step posted that evidently Aunt after the gold medal game said to him, you just showed up to Paris three days ago, giving steps because he hadn't played well prior to the semi final, and then the team giving giving Ant for not knowing how to pop champagne and saying you ain't been there. So they're on the steps and everyone's shaking up champagne and popping the bottles and Aunt doesn't know how to do it, and all the three older guys are like, oh, yeah, you ain't won yet, You've never did to do it. How was the so well? It is so the I mean, honestly, the mistake people make is they try to just push the cork out when what you need to do is twist and pull and so I obviously never won a championship, but I've opened champagne bottles and so it was just a really endearing moment where he was like, oh, yeah, yeah, I think the next youngest is Halliburton. But yeah, uh so, you know there's there's the Anthony Edwards piece. Joel Embiid after looking again like it was gonna be another time where all right, you know, Embiid in a big spot doesn't show up. Showed up in the Serbia game and the game before. Had a really big sequence in the Serbia game where he scored seven straight points, also gave up some bad rebounds. But here is my glass half full view of this demanse. This is the first time in Joel's life he's played with winning play in big moments. He's never played in big games. Biggest game he's ever played in is Game seven of Round two a couple times. Maybe he learns from this experience the way Mellow Wade and Lebron learned from the eight experience with Kobe, that's the hope. I thought some of his stuff with some of his quotes were kind of clownish, and I'm not a huge fan of the suck it crotch chop stuff. But he is who he is, but we have to give credit words due. He did have a couple excellent games. Anthony Davis I thought was steady, reliable force throughout, didn't play a ton later in the tournament, was great defensively whenever he was out there, just like Bam was. I also thought Bam, you know again, didn't play a lot. Bam embiide in ad all averaged rounds sixteen minutes a game, which makes sense you only have forty minutes, and those year three bigs they're gonna split it up. But I thought Bam handled himself really well. Bam and Ad were great defensively. And then the other guy who I thought was sneaky excellent and found himself more prominently featured than a lot of people probably expected was Drew. Where Drew was the guy that Kerk could just put in there and he would do whatever was needed. He is the definition of a winning player. Can understand the game, will always play great defense, will always be unselfish, and will do his thing. Derek White, obviously very early in the tournament, had one great game where he couldn't miss, but he really was not supposed to be there and was happy to be there. Haliburton. Good for him for having a good disposition and not complaining about being the you know, the guy who didn't get in. This is the argument to not having twelve stars on the team, because then a star is going to be in the Haliburton role, and then there's Tatum who sometimes basketball simple. He didn't make a jump shot from the exhibition play to the gold medal game outside of three feet. He was zero for sixteen. Tough spot, man, And in the gold medal game there was a sequence where he had the ball, almost turned it over, got it back, and then put up this awkward, kind of awful floater and it was like man, yeah, yeah, and it was like man, it just really seems like his confidence was shaken. It's a weird spot. I'm not going to kill him, but his disposition was fine. The it's not I don't want to say it's not his fault. That sounds almost patronizing, but he just just his shot. From the start of the Eastern Conference Finals to right now, his SHOT's been off and it's messed with his confidence level. And so it's obviously not like it's not a great look, but what are you gonna do, Like, I just don't know. Like, I'm not gonna kill him, and I'm also not gonna kill Kerve for not playing him trying to win these games and Tatum wasn't playing. Well, you're a Tatum fan, demonse, you go. If you think I'm being unfairer, you just give your take. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: And in the very beginning I thought it was a little strange when Tatum wasn't playing, and then he got put in and he didn't hit the shots, and they continued to basically not play him.
Speaker 2: I look, but yeah, I just thought.
Speaker 3: It was super weird in the beginning, But then as the Olympics continued, it started to make sense. He is my guy, but like, you gotta hit shots, and I do think that it's a confidence issue. I do think he's been in his head since the finals and it did not help. He ended up having to play for the freaking country a couple months later.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean, it could have helped if you'd have played well. But it was what's so weird is he was excellent in the last Olympics and so he's played great on this stage. It was just a weird spot, all right, so let's go ahead. Let's quickly get to the other Olympics things and then we'll move on.
Speaker 3: So Team USA basketball has been dominant since two thousand and four with all those medals and goals we got, but the rest of the world is starting to catch up. Obviously, Serbia kept it pretty close, and France is going to get better. Wimby's only going to get better. How scared of the Team US? The Team USA twenty twenty eight teen?
Speaker 2: B Uh? I mean scared? I mean, so you look at this year's team. Staph Lebron Durant are gone in four years, so take them off it. Embeid is already talking about playing for someone else, so take him off it. I don't know that you can rely on that Anthony Davis is gonna play again. I would preliminarily possibly take him off it. So what's the team look like? Booker? I think will come back, and obviously will come back, I would think, and Tatum would come back, I would think, but maybe he's pissed. The thing is you might have alienated Tatum and Brown and you're gonna need him in four years. And now obviously there's the young people are like, oh, Cooper flag. There's the young guys. I get that Drew won't be there in four years, No chance. Drew's another one of the older guys that I wasn't even talking about. So yeah, like I, they could be in trouble. They absolutely I don't want to go through who's going to be on the roster. We've spent too much time, but yeah, they absolutely could be in trouble. In France is only going to be getting more formidable. Uh all right, let's move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what were your favorite non basketball moments from these Olympics?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, So the kid from Kansas City, Quincy Hall winning the four hundred coming back from fifth place was unbelievable. There is a great video of a young female Chinese gymnast at the metal stand seeing the two Americans biting their medals and then looking over like, oh, is that what we're supposed to do? And it just seemed like she wanted to be included, so she bit hers. I thought that was great. I thought Simone's redemption story was phenomenal. I thought I can't get enough of city Ny McLoughlin Lavroni, the hurdler and the four hundred meter runner. She is a legendary athlete, and the gap between her and the second best ever in her sport, fimke Bol is just getting bigger. I mean it's like it's like a Ledeci style gap. Uh. And there was something else. Oh, I was happy Shakari got her gold. That made me really happy that they that she got her gold after I think deserving it for quite some time. And I also, Uh, there was another moment that I oh Novak Novak who really wanted uh clearly to win gold and finally did even though he beat my guy. Those were great. I love the Olympics. Oh, I guess the metal by the gymnasts were Italian not American with the where the girl was doing what they were doing. Thank you guys. And the next Olympics to Monse are in La. Yes. And so I am I told you what your wife your mom yesterday that I am I am going to a year out from the Olympics. Make it very clear to Wilds and Brew that during the Olympics we're taking the show to La. We're going to do the show from the lot in La. Because I want to be I was so jealous a Ancha who was there and was able to watch the track and field. I don't care so much about the swimming. I know people love swimming. I'm not as into it. But I want to be at track and field every night for an Olympic week and to be have it be in LA in prime time is going to be so great. And so and there's a lot of you know, other stuff that I want to see. But I loved these Olympics. I thought NBC did a great job with it. Shout out to everybody involved. I loved it. And so I you know, I the I'm I like the Winter Olympics. I love the Summer Olympics, and so and and our women's gymnastics team kind of getting vindication and redemption I thought was phenomenal. Uh all right, Take that was a long a block, Take quick break, comeback, play factor, overreact, What's Right? Welcome back? What's Right? With Nick Wright? And if you're looking for your next favorite tequila, Teamana is a premium small batch tequila founded by Dwayne the Rock Johnson. Each bottle of Taramanna is meticulously crafted from one hundred percent fully mature agave, slow roasted and traditional brick ovens, and distilled in handmade copper Pi stills. Try Teamana today in the People's Margarita, deliciously refreshing drink made with Teamna Blanco, lime, agave nectar and pineapple juice. Tea Monta is also the perfect pairing when inviting friends and family around to watch sports and celebrate the big games together. For more information, visit Teamana dot com. That's t e r E m A n A dot com and follow on social at Teamanna. Must be twenty one years or older. Please enjoy responsibly. Teamana small Batch Tequila forty percent alcohol by volume imported by Cia Buck Spirits, White Planes, New York. All right, Demansei, let's get to some football real quick before we get some listener questions. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So on our last pot on Thursday, you came out and said that or Andy came out that Andy Reid was playing as starters. She said that everybody should play their starters. Do what Andy Reid's doing. He's the greatest coach. Yes, and Hollywood Brown got hurt on the first play in the preseason game, So yeah, you think you should stick to that.
Speaker 2: It's still a good idea. I'm not going to play the result. Yeah, you know, guys might get dinged up, but the overall the greater. He's still there.
Speaker 3: What that guy's You're that guy's always hurt. He's your most notably hurt guy. Probably should well, I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, listen, I mean it's his first game ever with the Chiefs. Uh. Listen. He's a small receiver, so he's going to have some injury issues in his defense. His he his games played in his career are fourteen, sixteen, sixteen, twelve fourteen, So he gets dinged and misses a little bit of time, but it's not a guy who is consistently missing big time. He suffered as injury similar to one you suffered, demand, I can tell by the way he fell, except oddly evidently it wasn't so your injury was at this part of your collar bone. His was at this part, the one that connects to the sternum. So they said that it's more associated with a car crash. Tyreek Hill suffered this injury as well. Listen, he might miss week one, it's not. It doesn't change my opinion on playing your guys as smart. And I'll be honest, oddly, I mean, I feel bad for Hollywood, but I'd prefer it be this than like a hamstring tweak or an ankle sprain, some lower body injury that's gonna slow you down and hamper you throughout the year. This is pretty simple. The bone's gonna heal and he's gonna be fine. So no, it seems like everyone else was a lot more worried about that than I was. Next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's been a while since we had some football to watch, so naturally everybody's gonna blow up with the smallest thing. But sometimes those overreactions turn out to be the truth. So let's decide what is what in a game of factor over react. So you may be onto something. You may be onto something with your guy Caleb. In his first on field action, Williams is all but perfect. Lead in the field by a large margin of inefficiency. Here is numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, number point ninety seven EPA per play. Joe Burrow was number two amongst quarterbacks this week with point six to two. So yeah, that's a big number.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, company, So factor overreact, Caleb Williams is the number one quarterback in the NFC, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's probably an overreaction right now. It might be a fact by the end of the Year, competing with Stafford Dak your guy, Jordan Love, Jared Goff would be the biggest competitors for it. I think he could be number one by the end of the year. I do think, okay, all the great quarterbacks are in the AFC, and I think Caleb is going to be a special, special player. Next.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Jordan Love, he picked up right where he left off, launching a bomb for a sixty five yard touchdown a few plays into only drive for the game. Fact overreact Jordan Love is in for an MVP caliber season.
Speaker 2: I think that's an overreaction. I the MVP caliber is a bridge too far, in part because I just don't think the UH Packers are going to have the record requisite for their quarterback to win the MVP the way the MVP voters have done it lately. You have to win twelve or thirteen or fourteen games. I don't think the Packers are going to do that. But I do think Jordan Love is one of the most interesting players in the league to watch this year because we've seen him play one season, first half of which he was not good, the second half of which he was an A plus, and he's being able to see.
Speaker 3: The bigger what ifs of this season come it to come.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they've paid him as if they know, so I'm super excited to see it next.
Speaker 3: The Broncos were laughed at for picking a senior citizen with a twelfth overall pick, but bo Nicks quieted the doubters early leading four scoring drives in his preseason debut versus the Colts. Factor overreact bo Nix is heen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that's obviously overreacting. Here's the deal. I didn't think Bonix played very well, and Broncos fans are mad because I said this on TV and they're like, oh, Nick's just a Broncos hater. Let me tell you something I don't. There are the Chiefs Broncos used to be a rivalry. That's pretty good. Um, the this is a good photoshop if you're not watching on YouTube. Uh, the Chiefs Broncos used to be a rivalry. Then we beat them sixteen times in a row and it stopped being a rivalry. The the NFL on their YouTube page has for every rookie quarterback if you type in the name of the quarterback and then every throw, they have a cutup of every throw. I think anyone that is just looking at the numbers from bow Nix's debut should go watch the throws and why much his skittishness in the pocket. I was not impressed. Maybe I again, you can say I'm being biased. It's that because I didn't think it was that good coming out of college. Go watch the throws. But I think the Broncos are in the worst quarterback shape of anyone in the league other than maybe the Raiders. It's Zach Wilson, Jared Stidham, and bow Nicks. And I don't think Nix has it. I know everyone liked how he played this weekend. I'm not one of those people.
Speaker 3: Next all right, tenth overall pick JJ McCarthy had a solid showing in his debut. It is after you threw an interception on the first on the first possession. Sam Donald is a starter for now, but Sam Donald is obviously Sam Donald a fact overreact. JJ will start Week one.
Speaker 2: I think he might. And here's the deal, So this is I wasn't high on JJ coming out of college at all either. Similar to Knicks, I thought he played excellent. I was really impressed by what he did. And yeah, I know he and Nix had similar numbers. I thought JJ's were way more believable and duplicable, and so I thought, listen, we know who Sam Darnold is, and so if JJ is anywhere close to ready, he should be the starter. Next makes sense.
Speaker 3: Noah Lyles has had quite the week, and now he has Tyreek Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 2: Coming after him. We're gonna play a little video. Would you like to race him when he gets home? I will beat no alloos. You think I will beat no Allows a lot? I won't beat him by alive, but I would.
Speaker 1: Beat no I'd like to see that happen.
Speaker 2: Okah, Listen, I love Tyreek, but I mean relax man, and I don't even really like Noahliles. But he's not gonna beat Noahliles.
Speaker 3: Wait, so maybe this is just ignorance by me, But I don't think. I don't think Tyreek is talking out a cat. I don't think he's talking on a hand right there. I think there is a change.
Speaker 2: I think Tyreek Hill could win the one hundred meters gold medal. No, that's what Noel Liles just did.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, but I mean I'm figuring they're just talking to like a straight line regular race like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what the one hundred meters is is a straight line, regular race. Yeah, without pay. They're all close, They're I mean one hundred meters dash, They're all close. But no, I listen, Tyree Tyreek Hill. Listen, here's the other thing forgive being fastest man in the world. Tyreek Hill currently I don't think is the fastest man in the A f C. Xavier Worthy records. So yeah, exactly, so I listen, Tyreek kill is unbelievable. He's not faster than Noah. Wait what if what if they both had pads on?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: Oh? That I then I would probably buy Tyreek because Lyles isn't used to that sure on a football But you.
Speaker 3: See how you just said that that no, Allowles isn't used to having football pads and just like Tyreek hillsn't used to having them off.
Speaker 2: So it's like, no, I get that. So if we're saying, but I when a race, I typically when people race, they don't put on full football pads. He's talking about beating Noah Liles. I assume it means on the track or on the football field, but just a regular race, not pad it up. He's not beating Noah Liles, He's just not He's not even beating COVID stricken. Noahlliles, quick break answer your listener questions. Next, what's right? All right? Welcome back in. I gotta get to work to monsday. So let's go through some of these listener questions.
Speaker 3: Quick Scott Frasier, Nick, how many teams will how many teams will have buyers remorse on the overpaid quarterback situation? Over under five and a half? Oh?
Speaker 2: Under five and a half. I mean, listen, I think the Dolphins will with Tua. I obviously don't think the Jags will. I think the the are going to be fine with golf but so but some will, but it's not going to be anywhere close to six. So way under.
Speaker 3: Next, Kai Jelly, with Joe Burrow healthy and in camp. Who is the biggest threat to Kansas City in the AFC? Bengals, Bills, Texans?
Speaker 2: I think the Ravens probably should be included in that. Some people would at least uh, the Texans are going to be a trendy pick. With that said, even though I have real concerns about the Bengals defense, I'm going to give the Bengals respect and say the Bengals because they're the only team that has beaten the Chiefs in a game that matters, and so, you know, except for Tom Brady teams, and he's gone now. So I'm going to say the Bengals next.
Speaker 3: Zaia Arno Fullert Nick, do you think coach Mangini has thrown extra shade towards Mahomes and the Chiefs because he realizes that they're actually threatening the Patriots in Tom.
Speaker 2: Yes, I yes, I do, and I will tell coach yes, I absolutely do. Next.
Speaker 3: Uh, did Jokichen Serbia prove it it is better to win the bronze than the silver in the in Olympic basketball.
Speaker 2: That's always true in these team competitions because then you go out with a win. Zim's been going out with a win and going out with a loss, you get to celebrate. Yeah, and so yeah too, yoga absolutely the all right.
Speaker 3: Next, Trey hasan question is is Katie Leadeki the most underappreciated Olympic athlete? I feel like she does not get enough credit in the mainstream media about how dominant she is.
Speaker 2: Uh, I mean probably to a degree. I don't think she's totally underappreciated. I think people know. But I also think because her races are so long, it doesn't have like the excitement of you know, Phelps's races. But yeah, she is an all time legend and the greatest female swimmer ever, I mean, hands down, all right.
Speaker 3: Last one, Jeremy contrasts as early US Open tennis favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, obviously, I told you I'm picking al Karez in every major that exists when he's healthy for the next eight years. So Carlos Alcarez and I'll be out there. I didn't. I'm not going to be a ball boy, but I'll be out there for it, all right. I'll see you guys Thursday. Demon's great job, great Olympics. It was really so much fun to watch. I'll be on with Colin in about ninety minutes. Be on my show in three and a half hours. What's right? Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget We're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand and followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get demand another plaque, so like subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,