Speaker 1: What's up, guys.
Speaker 2: It's West and Sophie.
Speaker 1: If you've noticed, we are not an Indianapolis anymore.
Speaker 3: You're Action Arizona for the Women's Final Four, and we have some awesome guests. We have Holly Row and Alison Feastar with us today.
Speaker 4: That's right, and Show Me Something podcast with Mary Longboy checking in a lot from the Bracket. Some of the best game day memories don't happen on the court. They happen in hotel lobbies, over pregame meals, and in the moments before tipoff. As the official hotel partner of the NCAA, Mariot Bonboy sees it all from the bracket, Pep talks to fans bonding over shared rituals. It's the moments around the game that become the ones people remember this March Madness.
Speaker 3: Live from the Bracket brings those stories to life in a limited podcast series about college hoops, travel and fandom, with special guests and experiences along the way.
Speaker 4: From now until April fifteenth, Married Bonvoy members will be able to enter our Live from the Bracket sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip to the twenty twenty seven Final Four. Follow at show Me Pod on Instagram to learn more.
Speaker 3: We're talking March madness, above and beyond, and you'll want to stay tuned.
Speaker 2: Marriot Bomboy, we're game day.
Speaker 4: He checks in William Show Me Something Podcast live from Sophie's Phoenix Babies, Sylphe's Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Here we are.
Speaker 3: This is beautiful. First of all, who is outside? I'm not even that sweaty, which is surprising.
Speaker 2: We have fans over here to left. What's that fans? And we're about to have some freaking awesome guests.
Speaker 1: Yes, Holly Roe is gonna show up.
Speaker 3: Alison Feaster as his daughter is actually playing for you, Sehn. The city is popping full of great energy for the women's final four. Here Trophy cactuses the mural behind us.
Speaker 4: The incredible and beautiful, magnificent mural behind us was created by the renowned Phoenix based artist La Morena.
Speaker 3: I love that, so she teamed up with Marriott Bonvoy, j Ukraine O to Phoenix Travel and of course Women's basketball beautiful.
Speaker 2: The coloring is perfect, it's so phoenix y and I love a cactus. The girls nails are painted.
Speaker 4: It makes her set a little more extra special. But here's Lo Morena with more him.
Speaker 2: My name is listen to you know Hoos also known as La Morena.
Speaker 5: I'm a Phoenix based artist and I'm here with Marriott Boh Boy. I love Arizona. I'm born and raised here. I'm very proud of our Phoenix city. And so when they come across this mural, I want them to first be pulled in by the colors and then engage with the elements that are across the mural. And I think for little res girls seeing this, it means so much to me because I'm giving them a mural that they can see themselves in and see this journey a future potential them that they can also to play women's college basketball. I'm so excited for women's sports in general because we're on the rise and we're getting so much noise and excitement around women's sports. And now we're here, we are with the Final four women's college basketball, and this is the first time in Arizona history that we are hosting them here in Phoenix, so it's a huge deal for us.
Speaker 2: I hope little girls see themselves in this mureaum.
Speaker 5: And know that it's possible to play in the Final Four for women's college basketball.
Speaker 2: So final four.
Speaker 1: We have all one seeds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, big dogs Ucla. We have Texas, we have Yukon, we have South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Yes we do. So.
Speaker 3: I do think this year you do have the very best top four teams in the nation. Sometimes you get a little Cinderella story or an underdog. I think these are the best, the best ones, and so it's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: Our first game is Yukon. South Carolina Yukon.
Speaker 1: We've seen each other a zillion times, which is gonna be like familiar foes.
Speaker 3: I love this, and I think it's so funny because in the W you have like your your.
Speaker 2: Game Cocks, you have your Huskies, and they.
Speaker 1: Go at it.
Speaker 4: You could argue Don Staley and Gino are like an iconic coaching rivalry at this point, you doo, But I mean that's like, those are two very iconic women's basketball coaches who I feel like see each other in March frequently. It gives me like Bill Bilichick, I guess he's Tony Dungee vibes in the in the two thousands.
Speaker 1: That's pretty special.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 3: And then you have Texas and Ucla, which honestly, I think I'm not.
Speaker 2: Gonna lie to you.
Speaker 3: I thought Yukon is looking tough. They always look tough this time of year. Just the experience Gino. He's just a legend and is so so smart and pours into his players like no other.
Speaker 2: But again, I'm biased.
Speaker 3: I want an SEC SEC team school to win, and so I'm actually kind of pulling for Texas a little bit.
Speaker 4: Was your freshman year the first year of SEC you never played in the Big twelve?
Speaker 2: No, I did it, but they were the year before. So in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 4: Okay, they were, So you have good reason to be an SEC fan thousand percent. This is game day. Also, you can feel in the air, you can smell it. Even so, who you got give me an expert analysis? I know you have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I truly do like all four programs. Yep, I like players from all four teams. If you would have asked me a little bit ago, I thought Yukon would take it, and they and part of me still thinks that they will take it. But a big portion of me is thinking that Texas is speaking at the right time. And I also went played against coach Schaeffer. His daughter we played against and now she's an assistant coach. So kind of a cool storyline there. But Texas is looking pretty dang good.
Speaker 4: So you think Texas wins today and they'll see either yukonnor sc.
Speaker 6: Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: I think. I think that Yukon South Carolina game. I don't even know who's gonna win that Yah Yukon. They they are athletic, they have the IQ.
Speaker 3: South Carolina is just so so athletic, and they have the experience having Don Staley knowing you know what she knows, and her being a player in the w playing overseas forever long. She really knows how to pour into her kids, and so that matchup I can't even predict.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's gonna be fun, Sophie.
Speaker 4: This pod will be dropping after we have crowned our women's Final four champion. Well, can you look into this camera for me and tell me who you got my future self?
Speaker 3: This has already happened. I think I almost just said Yukon. Is that my gut feeling?
Speaker 1: I thought you were gonna throw them You're gonna throw them up.
Speaker 2: I'm going Texas, all right, everybody.
Speaker 3: Our first guest today is one of the most respected voices in sports broadcasting.
Speaker 2: She is an award winning reporter covering college.
Speaker 3: Basketball, football, softball, and some of the biggest moments in sports.
Speaker 2: For over two decades.
Speaker 4: You've seen her on the sidelines to the final four college football playoff and countless championship games. She's known for her insight, storytelling and connection with players.
Speaker 1: Please welcome Holly Row everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, She's a Betsy lady.
Speaker 1: Everybody.
Speaker 4: Before we hop into women's college basketball, I have a question for you. You've done so many games for so long. Do they all Are they all kind of a blur? Or if I were to.
Speaker 1: Call out a game, would you remember the moment?
Speaker 7: I remember stories like I might not remember the score, but I will remember the situation or something that happened, or a story I told, like I it's locked in forever.
Speaker 1: I hope.
Speaker 4: Do you remember remember ninth grade? Oh god, well, you'd have been seventh grade. I'd have been in ninth grade. Missoo ku. Of course, Zire Taylor hit a shot back of the ram and then it bounced into missoo Biku to be Kansas.
Speaker 7: And I did the postgame interviews. Fans rush the field, and I asked him a question.
Speaker 2: He goes I can't. That's really so.
Speaker 4: I think everyone we watch on TV, we all have moments that like were a part of our lives.
Speaker 1: So we remember you from those moments.
Speaker 4: And I remember obviously that game was so important, but I remember you having to be like go celebrate. We can't hear each other, and that to me is like my Holly Row memory.
Speaker 1: I love that so much, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Because that is such an organic moment that we'll never have again. You know, the Kumazoo rivalry was one of my favorites ever. I know they've played again recently but kind of broke it up for a while, but I love that rivalry. One of my favorite games I've ever covered in my life was the Kim English.
Speaker 2: Eras that team.
Speaker 7: I loved that team, and the game Atmazoo against Ku like that was a wild one too.
Speaker 4: I missed that when they left the Big Twelve, Like those are like our childhood and so that was really special.
Speaker 1: We are here to talk.
Speaker 4: About women's college basketball, and obviously the women's college basketball fandom has been growing like crazy the last few years, and we're feeling it here in Phoenix. Obviously, we have a lot of fans with.
Speaker 1: Us right now.
Speaker 4: Players are front and center, and fans have traveled all over the world to come watch women's college basketball. What are your thoughts just on the state of women's hoops right now.
Speaker 7: I think it's the best it's ever been, and I think I'm an expert. I'm not saying that from a cocky standpoint, but I've been covering college basketball for thirty years, so when I say, I have watched this entire thing, and I hope have been a proponent in pushing this constant narrative. We've known forever that this is a really good product, and I feel like the general public is just now kind of catching up with us, and it feels really good, you know. And I don't want to have the attitude of like, well, we told you so. I want to have the attitude of like, Yay, finally you get to see what we've been loving for such a long time.
Speaker 2: So I think it's a really beautiful place.
Speaker 7: And the thing I'm proud of is women like Sophie. You know, the players that I get to cover, they're not disappointing. They keep uping their game and leveling up and getting better. The w is better than it's ever been. College basketball is better than it's ever been. And that's real credit to the athletes and the coaches.
Speaker 3: So we know that you travel all the time, like you'll be here today and then somehow you'll be in like Europe tomorrow covering a sport that I don't know, No one even knew what was going on, what sports team or town or city. Has the fandom just grown where you're like, wow, people need to know more about this, I would say that.
Speaker 7: So this is an obvious one because I'm talking to you. But Indianapolis. So, Indianapolis is a really cool sports town in that they have a lot of final fours there. They have a lot of men's and women's college backup basketball sports events there. But the WNBA and the excitement behind the Indiana Fever has completely changed that city. And I actually was doing some research with the Chamber of Commerce last year about the impact of fans traveling from out of state and coming in and it's hotel stays, hotel rooms, flights, and so like, we are really changing the face of Indianapolis right now.
Speaker 2: It's a WNBA. It is palpable.
Speaker 7: I mean we're talking millions and millions of dollars of economic impact because of the Indiana fevers. So I'm really proud for that team in that organization because they deserve it.
Speaker 1: Love that it's all going to get a women's team as.
Speaker 7: We used to have one. This is a sad story. So I have been working in the w ever since it started. I started out pulling cables for the Utah Stars. I worked my way up to be the color analyst for the Utah Stars.
Speaker 2: First woman, by the way right first, Yes, Turle Blazer.
Speaker 7: Yes, we had a really good team, Jennifer Az, Natalie Williams, Margo d Dick, like some of the true greats in the early w NBA. And then the team went to San Antonio to the Star to San Antona Stars, and it is now the Las Vegas Aces. So that is our franchise. So I feel sad because I'm like, I, we're just gonna have to love the Aces.
Speaker 3: Then, you know, I was gonna say, so, deep down, are you working the Aces whenever year?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't because I want to be unbiased truth. But I do have a soft spot in my heart for them because that's my franchise. Yeah, and they're going to bring back and have a reunion in the end of July and I said to them, I'm like, you need to bring the old broadcasters, like we were a part of this when nobody really was paying attention.
Speaker 2: So bring us back.
Speaker 4: Seattle loss of SuperSonics, and I think that they're gonna get another team.
Speaker 1: So I think some cities and yeah, you just got hockey.
Speaker 2: TEMs got a hockey at NHL.
Speaker 1: Yes, show there's always hope.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's hope. For sure, there's hope. But the aces are close. I think a lot of fans go down there, So I'm going to settle in for them right now in my heart there the Utah Stars slash pass.
Speaker 6: Good for you?
Speaker 4: Is there a moment for you, Holly, that you feel like clicked with women's basketball. It could be WNBA or college, but something that you think really set things apart, Like obviously, I think Caitlin's emergence is like a massive moment that we'll look back and be like, this changed the sport forever.
Speaker 1: But for you, is there something maybe earlier.
Speaker 7: It's a different moment for me because I remember working a game and to this day, I still believe it's the best WNBA game I've ever worked in my life. It was twenty sixteen Game five the LA Sparks at Minnesota Links and neko Oguma Kay had to put back basket to win the title for the LA Sparks. That's series because if you look at the rosters of those two series, they were like, I want to say, seven Hall of Fame players in that series, so Cannis Parker, neko Goomakay, Chelsea Gray, Alana Beard, and then from Minnesota Rebecca Brunson, Lindsay Waylan, Maya Moore, Simona Augustus, Sylvia Fowls. Like that's eight Hall of Fame maybe nine Hall of Fame players in one series.
Speaker 2: To me, that was the moment we really started to rise.
Speaker 7: And yes, I will always give Caitlin her for hours and credit because she did take it to a new level, but we were rising before that too.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 3: So I have a question for you because I know that the CBA has just gotten you know, kind of I don't even know if it's in right, and yet I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I know something. It's April third today. There you go, Holly. That's why you're the reporter and I'm just the athlete. Here.
Speaker 3: On a real note, I feel like you kind of hit on it with the family of like when they do have that reunion, bring back the people who were there from the very beginning. I think that you, Rebecca Ryan, you guys have really been in it with us. And I remember talking to you before the Ace's Finals. It was like Indiana verse Ace, and I was like, what should we Honestly, I'm.
Speaker 2: Just going to be you guys.
Speaker 3: Don't mean as being honest. I was like, how can we do better with the refs? They are part of our game, they are part of our family. They deserve to get three more.
Speaker 2: I no, no, I'm being for real.
Speaker 3: Like they are part of our family, and I think that we should be taking care of them. But you guys have such great insight because you are in it more than not more, but the same amount we are in. I feel you could be a GM or an owner or a coach by now.
Speaker 2: Don't you kind of feel that way? Well, we are invested for sure.
Speaker 7: Yes, I think we were all Like you should see our text chain for the last three months, like angsting over the CBA and are we going to have a season, and.
Speaker 2: Like we really is. It is a lifelong passion of mine.
Speaker 7: So the refereeing is an issue, and we saw that last season and it was a real issue last season. And I think where we're at right now is the problem is to become a ref at the highest levels, you have to start out, probably in high school, probably in a low college. So one of other ways I think we could improve refereeing is to get more former players who maybe didn't make it as a pro. I think we need more former players. So I'll give you an example. I covered a woman at the University of Utah, one of the greatest three point shooters in NCAA history, Julie Cromenhook. She has worked her way up to be a high level college referee. Right now, we need to be growing our own former athletes because they played the game, they know how to officiate.
Speaker 2: It a little differently.
Speaker 7: I want us to be growing former players into that referee ale And.
Speaker 3: This is my brought up because we had such a great conversation and I'm like, it's the inside because we are not against them.
Speaker 2: We want everyone to grow in our league.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about this Final four though, Like what excites you, what team do you think is peaking out the right time, what players are peaking out the right time and kind of give your insight on you just said like, hey, we got to go because I have you know, walkin.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I have coaches, rivals interviews right now, which isn't a lot of stress. But yeah, here's who I think is peaking is Texas. So if you would have asked me three weeks ago who was going to win it all, I said, Yukon and I believed that. I think they were the best team in the country. They had the best efficiency defensively, offensively, all those things they have not quite hit on all still in the first couple of rounds. Does that mean they're not still dominant? Probably not, but they've got to figure a few things out and they're going against a very athletic, physical South Carolina team. So a player that I think is really blossoming and on a really high trend right now is Raven Johnson. Yes, so, I think Raven Johnson is one of the greatest stories in all of college basketball right now because she stayed, tore her acl, fought back a lot of online criticism. Almost her mom shared with me that she almost quit after all the online criticism she faced, and she has all she's done is stay true, be resilient and show up for her team. And she is the best version of herself right now. And I'm loving that for Raven.
Speaker 4: But Texas has momentum aside from like in the Weeds college basketball. I'm curious if you have a moment and this is more about Holly than it is teams or other players, do you have a travel moment that you all like remember forever that, whether that's some hotel was booked and you didn't have anywhere to stay, or a fight got delayed and you ended up in some random city and had the best night.
Speaker 7: Ever, how long do we have for this podcast? So, like full disclosure, I am almost at four million.
Speaker 2: Miles right now on one airline. But here's what I'll say.
Speaker 7: So I know this is a Marriotte podcast, but one of the reasons I really wanted to come on other than you was I'm a.
Speaker 2: Marriott girl, like I am.
Speaker 7: And I'm not just saying this, I'm just I'm just meeting you. But I love Marriott because I I really I'm from Utah. It's a Utah company, and so I have really tried to build points with one company. So right now I almost have a million Marriott points right, I am like one hotel night away from the top level. So like when I tell you, I'm like psychotically.
Speaker 2: Mary, where do you live? And like how like are you how often are you there?
Speaker 7: Probably like about a week a month maybe, So I travel a lot because I'm covering so many sports. But I would tell you that my travel memories that have been really funny are three years ago, we were doing we were getting ready to have our very first ever college game day show on ESPN.
Speaker 2: First whenever. There was a young woman playing.
Speaker 7: Basketball that I thought was playing at such a high level and nobody was giving her any attention.
Speaker 2: And it was January.
Speaker 7: So I did an NBA game in Utah, did a red eye flight, and I slept on the floor at the Atlanta airport.
Speaker 2: I did that last night, Miami.
Speaker 7: Oh there we go. And I had no pride. I was like, I'm sleeping. I'm on the floor at the airport so that I could get the seven am flight to the location where I would do the interview with this young woman. And I did the first ever feature on her on first ever college game Day.
Speaker 2: Three months later, Angel Reese went in championship.
Speaker 7: That's awesome, So I'm really proud of that story because I had to sacrifice. I slept on the floor for the at the airport for Angel Reese because I believed so deeply in her and nobody was talking about her and I had the instinct and I was right. And so I'm really proud of that story because I had to sack to get there. I had to truly believe in this young woman, and I'm proud of her. Three months later, they won the national championship and I was like, I was onto something here, Like I was so proud of that.
Speaker 2: Wait, can I ask where is it? Your mom? Is your dad?
Speaker 3: Like why how do you have such a gift of storytelling? And like they're scouts in basketball they can tell a young talent who has potential, you have that, But with storytelling in the behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Who do you get that from him? Why is that? Why are you so good at it?
Speaker 7: I appreciate you saying that, but I think it's just natural curiosity. Like I'm so curious about people, and I just you know, like I'll see something or i'll hear something and I'll be like, oh my gosh. So I had a funny story that happened last weekend, we were covering Michigan and we were out having a walk in downtown Fort Worth and we stopped at this park to watch the end of the Yukon Duke men's game. So I'm with Cheney and Andrea and Christine and Rebecca was there and we were like screaming in this park at the end of that game, you know that shot. And so this lady comes over to me and she's like, oh, my gosh, we love your work.
Speaker 2: My daughter plays for Michigan.
Speaker 7: And so she ends up telling me this incredible story about Brooke Courels Daniels, who is five seven and the leading offensive rebounder on her team.
Speaker 2: So like, how is she so good?
Speaker 7: Why is your daughter such a crazy offensive rebounder at five to seven? And she's like, well, her brother is six seven, and here's video of them playing in the driveway, and so we use that in our broadcast. That happened because we were walking down the street in the park, right. So those are the kind of things that I live for. Of like you just naturally curiously following.
Speaker 3: Can I also give you some props because I think that you do stories and you find people that everyday people can.
Speaker 2: Relate to and you give them hope that, like just a little bit of hope that maybe they could do that one day.
Speaker 3: Doesn't matter what they look like, where they're from, how tall they are, how much they weigh. Like that that gives a five to seven guard hope that, like, hey, I could go be the leading rebounder in the nation.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 7: I can be the leading offensive rebounder on an Elite eight team.
Speaker 2: That's insane. But yeah, I think that we live.
Speaker 7: I love all the I'm the hopeful storyteller, Like I just want hope and encouragement and happiness. Like I don't love doing the hard stories.
Speaker 4: This is a little slight pivot, but you've got some kicks on today. Yeah. The basketball fashion world, ye is ever changing? Do you feel like you have to keep up with the the fashion?
Speaker 1: No, I don't know what.
Speaker 4: It's always growing and I feel like shoes are such a big part of it.
Speaker 1: And obviously I can tell you know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well here's what I will say.
Speaker 7: So back in twenty twenty, I was in the WNBA bubble and I remember calling my boss and saying, hey, you know, like the fits are a thing like they keep coming in and we're doing tunnel fits and we don't ever broadcast it.
Speaker 2: We're not showing it on TV.
Speaker 7: And my producer was literally like, I don't understand what you're saying to me.
Speaker 2: What is a fit?
Speaker 7: So I had to explain to her or what a fit was, and so like, I'm I take a teeny bit of pride in that, Like I was the first one that got tunnel fits on TV in the bubble, like maybe we were doing.
Speaker 2: Before in games, but I don't really remember it.
Speaker 3: HOLLI I was walking in in like pajama's sweats. Now you can see people's like style, who they are personally of like walking in, you know, like she can be feisty.
Speaker 7: I love it personalizes players. I think it personalizes players and it really showcases whatever your vibe is. You get to be really personal with it. And I like it because it elevates fandom and I love it for the fans and I think it's fun for you guys.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I know some players are like, Okay, now this is a hassle because it's a whole thing, but you can do it or you don't have to do it. And I think it's very personal, and I really love it because it shows personality and it's like I do think that the w is where fashion and culture, you know, it's intersectional, and so I really like.
Speaker 4: That, Ollie, how do you see travel impacting sports as we know it?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 7: My niece is a young basketball player, and so it's really my first relative that has wanted to be a college basketball player. So I'm pouring everything into her, Like I'm trying to sponsor her teams, and she's in you and she's here at the Final four.
Speaker 2: Her team has a tournament.
Speaker 7: Oh really, So like I will always like donate points so they can get hotel rooms for free. So I'm like staying in my Marriott so i can get points so then I can give them to my niece. I'm really trying to give back that way with my Marriot points, and I think it's really special.
Speaker 2: I've done that for them at the WNBA All Star Game.
Speaker 7: And then one other cool thing we're doing with our Merriot points right now is my son and I started a foundation, Joyous, So we are doing the Joyous Foundation where we are just like I was in the depths of stage four cancer. You know, it was a really scary dark place, and so we're trying to figure out how can we help people going through cancer find joy during this really scary time of their life. And so we are also using my Marriot points to bring cancer patients. So we have a woman that we've brought here. I've got her staying at a Sheraton right here to using my points so that we can bring her to a South Carolina game. She's a three time ovarian cancer survivor. But what's brought her joy is watching the South Carolina game Cocks play and she will get to see them play in person.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 3: Do that That's incredible.
Speaker 4: I was reading you you kept a joy journal as you were going through treatment and stuff, and that I feel like little things like that we often don't. It seems maybe like fleeing in the moment, but I'm sure that's something that you look back on and like that was very powerful and like kept you positive through so many dark moments.
Speaker 7: It's it's really true because when you're in cancer, you can't control anything, Like I can't control what's happening in my body and I'm having another spread and another surgery and another bad scan, and it's really stressful, and so during that time, I was like, I can't control what's happening to me, but I can control if I'm.
Speaker 2: Joyful every single day.
Speaker 7: And so I still keep my joy journal and I will write down these things that bring me joy.
Speaker 2: So I'll give you an example.
Speaker 7: I wrote down last year at the w NBA Draft, this player for Yukon that had played at Princeton transferred in. I just believed in her so much, and so during the draft I said, I think Caitlyn Chen should go up and sit in the front row where the Yukon team, like they were all there watching their other Yukon friends, Paige Becker's get drafted, and I just had this instinct and I said to one of her teammates, tell Caitlyn to go sit in that front row right now. And like literally two minutes later, she got drafted to the Valkyries.
Speaker 2: She has played for.
Speaker 7: The valkyriese has been an unbelievable player in the WNBA. So that went in my joy journal because that brought me so much happiness.
Speaker 2: So that's that's kind of what I want us to do.
Speaker 7: Is if you're not experiencing joy every day, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: So that's kind of where we're trying to get to.
Speaker 3: Speaking of joy, I know, I just landed here in Phoenix, but I've lived out here for seven eight years.
Speaker 2: Now. I feel like women's basketball has.
Speaker 3: Kind of taken over downtown Phoenix a little bit. I love feeling that vide No.
Speaker 7: We literally said when we landed, like what a great spot for the final four. There's billboards everywhere, There're signs everywhere, like, I love it because we want to feel like this is a big event in big time. And I really am proud of sponsors. There's more money than there's ever been with sponsorships, like this opportunity you're getting, Sophie. We didn't used to have these, and so I'm really proud of how brands have gotten behind women's sports and the fans. You guys have always been here. You are so tried and true and we are literally nothing without you. But what I love is the money that is flowing into our sport. Women deserve it, and we're finally seeing it payback for us.
Speaker 3: I think I was in the league at the perfect time because I was in it when we were still like it was rough, and now I'm kind of getting to see the positive impact of how awesome the WNBA can be not only on our lives but for the next generation. And I feel like when companies truly get.
Speaker 2: To meet you or Asia or Angel.
Speaker 3: Caitlin Cameron, like all these people, they see how awesome us women really are outside of basketball and.
Speaker 2: They pour in.
Speaker 3: But I think the most important thing to me is you see these little girls out here, like we're making it better for them, and so when they're in lot of seats, they're gonna be probably doing what the men are doing. And that's like you were a trailblazer for that, and so it's so cool for you kind of full circle to be on this show when you've been around this entire time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what I love for these young women is there are so many more opportunities. So I'm going to tell you one quick story. The last time that Yukon right now, they're on a fifty four game winning streak. The last time Yukon was on a long winning streak, they were on a one hundred and eleven game winning streak and the team that beat them was coached by Vick Schaeffer with a little tiny player that's five to four named Morgan william I remember, and Morgan william rises up and hits this shot to end at Yukon's one hundred and eleven game winning streak.
Speaker 2: What school was that, Mississippi State? Yeah, college era, Yeah, that show.
Speaker 7: And so she rises up hits this shot over a Gabby Williams coming out to block it. And when I went to do the postgame interview with Morgan, I said, what did you see when you rose up to take that shot?
Speaker 2: And she said opportunity And.
Speaker 7: Still to this day makes me want to cry and give me chills because all we ever, I'm gonna cry right now, all we have ever asked is opportunities for these little girls, for women, and so now that women are getting them, I just feel so so proud and grateful.
Speaker 1: I got yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: I think what's also really admirable is you've been in men's the highest level of men's sports spaces for a long time, and you still made the active decision to give back to women's sports when you very much could have taken more money or more opportunities to continue doing higher level men's sports. And I just think it's really admirable that you never left like what you cared about and giving back to women and highlighting women. And so I think you deserve so much credit for like always staying true and I think getting to see you do that has been very cool. But I am curious how continuing to cover women's sports and I guess watching it evolve and having like some skin in the game this whole time, how has that changed you personally or as a journalist yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, since I'm already crying out, yeah, that's sure. Oh my god, I'm really proud of that.
Speaker 7: I'm grateful that you even noticed that because in my era, you know, there would be a lot of sports casters and young reporters and they would start out on women's sports and then when they hit the big time, they would go on to the men's sports. And I am very proud I have never done that because I believe the big time is women's sports, and so I have really sacrificed. You know, I will do a college football game and I will be in an SEC city at midnight, and then I will be at a tip off at noon in Indianapolis for WNBA game and by and I got there by driving through the night by myself, Like I have gotten there by really truly being committed to women's sports.
Speaker 2: But it's more than that.
Speaker 7: It's like I'm that little girl that wished I had these opportunities, you know, like I played every sport growing up in basketball in high school, but I didn't have the opportunities in college that people have. And so really, I am that little girl that I am covering these sports for. So I keep doing it because that's who I am, and I love it, but should be more than I've ever changed it.
Speaker 3: That is not true, Holly is true.
Speaker 2: This is supposed to be a happy podcast.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, real quick, we're gonna do the perfect travel play. Okay, we're drawing it up late. Second time out to have a board of the fifty US states here. Actually no Hawaii and Alaska, so we got the continental forty eight and we're gonna jar a perfect road trip. Okay, four cities, mark them down. It could be about sports, it could be sight seeing related, it could be about food.
Speaker 1: You let me know. Safety seconds, let's get into it. Oh, you're excited. You want to go first.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about mine because mine is super specific. Can I go first? Yeah? Okay, I'm ready, all right, so here I am.
Speaker 7: I am starting here for the SEC Softball tournament in Lexington, Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm driving up.
Speaker 7: In the through the night doing the semifinals, driving up through the night for the season opener WNBA game Dallas at Indiana.
Speaker 1: Oh Okay.
Speaker 7: Then I am that's to Oklahoma City for the Women's College world S. Then I'm going to Salt Lake City, Utah for the very first ever AUSL Pro Softball debut for the Utah Talents, before I take a vacation to Italy and New York.
Speaker 2: So that is a very important era.
Speaker 7: And this is a true story and I didn't even know I was doing this. I am staying in only Marriott properties in Italy. I'm going to the Lake Como. Addition, the Saint Regis in Florence and the Saint Regions.
Speaker 2: Everyone can.
Speaker 1: I gave a shout out to landlocked states. The coast.
Speaker 4: Guys, coast are overrated. I know people only care about the coast, but I still am from Missouri and everyone knows it.
Speaker 2: You know, coasts are not overrated.
Speaker 4: I love California, but I'm just saying you a lot of people would do Florida, California and that's a very I'm all sports central.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we got sports. Here's mine, guys. Okay.
Speaker 4: I started in Seattle because I was singing Pacific Coast Highway because it's a great road trip. But then I realized I'm not gonna get a lot of sports in on the coast of Oregon in northern California. But Seattle's good sports city. So we're gonna start there. We're gonna drive through Lake Cordelane and end up in Bozeman, Montana for a little Montana State podcast football game.
Speaker 1: That's where you boy went to undergrad.
Speaker 4: Then we're gonna drive straight down through the Rockies to Holly's hometown, Salt Lake City.
Speaker 1: Let's go also a reality TV capital of the world. People don't know about it.
Speaker 2: I have details.
Speaker 7: My hairstylist does the hair for the Real Housewives.
Speaker 1: Some thoughts.
Speaker 2: Can we have another hour and we can retails? I have details.
Speaker 1: We can watch NHL hockey and yes.
Speaker 2: Yes ausl Utah Talents and check.
Speaker 4: In with Holly if she's got any time off. And then we're gonna go one of the worst drives imaginable. I seventy straight through Colorado and Kansas to Kansas City. We're gonna get some barbecue and watch the Chiefs revamp, revamp their dynasty.
Speaker 3: Well, your guys is this is very Sophie driven. Okay, so they didn't put on here. I don't know if you guys can see fans, but I'm starting in Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Oh you should have thought there. We should have thought it out. Yeah, So I'm gonna go their little island life. That's right up my alley.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go straight up to Columbia, Missouri to get some booches and some barbecue. That's where I'm from, where my family's at. I'm going to Nashville to you know, listen to some country music, maybe mee a cowboy or two, and then I am going straight down to Florida to get a tan.
Speaker 1: Okay, any sports are you avoiding sports?
Speaker 2: Time off?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 7: That tells you how our brains are different. Like from my time off, I'm like, I'm going to all the sports.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm hitting family and beaches.
Speaker 1: I've been Nashville drive a lot of times. It's not bad.
Speaker 7: Speaking of which, I was doing a speaking engagement years ago and I was in Columbia and these two women came up to me and really bent my ear for like thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: And it was your mom and maybe your grandma. Oh, I don't know them. They were sending me pictures of when they used to play. They were so cute and know I was upsts and I love them very much.
Speaker 4: The University of Missouri women's basketball team at one point had four starters from our high school.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's amazing. Freshman year, it was fun. We got in Nashville. I thought we were going to get a team. I was so hopeful we were getting a team in Nashville.
Speaker 7: I feel like it could still happen because Kennith Parker had a group put together there, and I was literally like, if she gets a group, then I'm going to retire and work on that team.
Speaker 2: But I think that, you know, we'll have more expansion.
Speaker 7: I think Kathy has said that they want more expansion by twenty twenty eight, so I think we'd see more there.
Speaker 1: Come on, before we go. You had one more story.
Speaker 6: For us on a landge.
Speaker 7: Okay, so we were talking about travel and hotels and everything. So my son and I love to travel together, and we went to the Olympics. You know, he's thirty. Now I talk about him like he's twelve, but he's thirty. We talk about the Olympics. So I am a huge fan of the Olympics. So we went to the Paris Olympics just as fans, and we had the time of our lives. And we got to go to Team USA women's gold medal basketball game and be there when Stewie and Asia and Chelsea Gray and be there with all them at the celebration.
Speaker 2: You just got to enjoy it. We just got to enjoy it.
Speaker 7: We were just fans, Like I was painting my face red, white and blue, just being a fan, not a reporter.
Speaker 2: So I really do like travel for love.
Speaker 7: Of sports, and I've been all over the world and really using sports as kind of my lifeline for life.
Speaker 2: Wait, what makes a good hotel room to you? Okay, so to me?
Speaker 7: So right now, I'm super in love with the Additions on the Marriott brand because you walk into the lobby and there's a feeling. So one of my favorite hotels is the Addition Miami. It's Miami Beach and you walk in and it's like cream and wood and plants, and it's very natural and elegant. So I'm really picky about hotels because I stay in hotels more than I stay at my own home, So.
Speaker 2: I am very picky.
Speaker 7: But I would say the Marriott Editions are my favorite brand right now because there is a feeling when you walk in the door. So I'm really excited to go to the one in Lake Como. I think it's going to be gorgeous.
Speaker 1: So lake Como, Italy awesome.
Speaker 7: Then I also just stayed at the Saint Regis in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a stunny Have you ever stayed there? Oh my god.
Speaker 4: It's nice that despite how much you do travel for work, that you can still find time to, like because when you're airport not by choice always, it's it's a daunting idea to want to book your own plane tickets.
Speaker 1: But it's good that you're.
Speaker 4: Still finding time to like visit places that you want to see.
Speaker 7: Yeah. The second I don't have a game, I book a flight. So I'm like, I'm like, oh god, I can finally do something I want.
Speaker 2: Let me book a flight to this game.
Speaker 1: You're not a homebody.
Speaker 2: No, is your son in sports? He's not. He's an actor. Really, Yeah, he's an actor.
Speaker 7: He was actually in the Kurt Warner movie American Underdog.
Speaker 2: Did you ever watch that movie? Son is in that movie?
Speaker 1: Okay? Yes, Where does he live?
Speaker 2: New York?
Speaker 1: He lives in New York, New York City? Okay.
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 1: Have you lived in any other state that isn't Utah?
Speaker 7: Have you? I lived in LA when I was doing my cancer treatment. I was getting treated at the UCLA Medical Center. So I lived in LA for four years, and then I lived in New York for four years.
Speaker 1: So you're the best guys.
Speaker 4: We for the first time on this podcast laughed and cried, Oh my gosh, and so that that feels good.
Speaker 1: No, that's so awesome.
Speaker 4: And it's nice to ask someone questions and let someone share their story who is often sharing other people's stories, and so like, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: And we thank you very much. And you're going right back to work after this.
Speaker 7: I'm going to work right this minute. I'm formulating my questions right now. The arrival interviews for coach Don Staley and Gina Oriama.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited.
Speaker 7: I think we're going to get two really good games. I will be really surprised if these aren't two very competitive games.
Speaker 2: I think we have the four.
Speaker 7: Best teams in the country. So I'm really excited, and I just want to compliment you guys, because I really enjoy your show. I watch your show and I think it's so fun. But in my head I've been like, who the hell is this guy and why is he on with Sophie.
Speaker 2: High school friends. Yeah, but you do a good job, and do you like you really know work for Complex.
Speaker 4: And so I've been doing interviews and producing and stuff for a long time.
Speaker 2: He's very good at Your show is so fun, it's so cute. But this is my first time I've gotten to interact with you. So I will say I'm proud of you. You're doing a great job.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that. And you're part of my childhood core memories, all the MISERI games.
Speaker 2: So that's like all of our love that that I'm your childhood course.
Speaker 1: Thank you for coming, guys.
Speaker 4: Alison Feuster has played and traveled over the world and is a lifelong athlete. She's an executive for the Boston Celtics and the mother of an NCAA star athlete, and an advocate for the power of sports. She was a part of the first sixteen seed to beat a one seed. I knew you beat a one seedos.
Speaker 6: I'm sure if it was the first one actually only on the women's side.
Speaker 4: Incredible, only incredible when Harvard beat Stanford, what was it, nineteen ninety nine, ninety eight. She went on to play in the WNBA for the Sparks, the Charlotte Sting, and the Indiana Fever.
Speaker 2: Come right now.
Speaker 3: Now she's here with us in Phoenix for the twenty twenty six NCAAA Women's Championship where her daughter, which is absolutely amazing, full circle moment, Sarah Strong, who was just named the AP Player of the Year as a sophomore at Ukon.
Speaker 2: That is crazy, absolutely insane.
Speaker 4: But I do have to say one thing. I keep having nuggets before we hop into everything. I covered the McDonald's All American Game in Houston would have been two years ago. Yeah, Sarah, So we did like fun social content and stuff with her. So I actually get to hang out and meet Sarah two years ago. Did you in the moment when you guys were the first sixteen to win, did it just feel like I mean, obviously it's a tournament win, it's a bigger win than normal, But did you know in the moment, like what you had done or was it like, oh, big win, let's move, let's keep it moving.
Speaker 6: I think we were cognizant.
Speaker 8: I think the grainy, you know, barely color video that they show every year during the tournament. You know, you can see my teammates just losing it. We knew it that it would reverberate almost thirty years later. No, because it's just not hasn't been known the women's side, and it's just done twice in the man why humans, So it's not there the.
Speaker 3: Women's side, there's not even there's such a huge difference between a one seed and a two seed, like.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's his historic history.
Speaker 3: You don't see a lot of upsets or cinerell of stories.
Speaker 6: Not on the side.
Speaker 8: You still selection Sunday, we were given a sixteen seed.
Speaker 6: We had we thought we were much better.
Speaker 8: We found out we were going to go play at Stanford, which is number one seed, so we were going in with a chip on our shoulder. They had a fifty something game win streak, and we prepared these play cards. So because it was so loud, and I think because of the earthquake, there's some type of system where the it's just some type of shock system, so it's really loud.
Speaker 6: You can feel the court shake.
Speaker 8: I was a nation's leading scorer at the time, so there wasn't a ton of respect for Harvard player lead the nation and scoring. And I will say this in all fairness, Stanford did have two they were missing two starters. It only doesn't matter because you got to play the game one percent. We just chopped away at it and won.
Speaker 1: I'm probably I'm hitting YouTube when I get to the host.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to know.
Speaker 3: Was it you and then just like a bunch of other people or did you have some studs on your team too.
Speaker 6: That were like, could you know our college coach?
Speaker 2: And I'm not even trying to be disrespectful, I just want to.
Speaker 8: A college coach set the stage at the beginning of the year, act as if your role on the team is the most important role, and each and every person knew what she was supposed to do on the court. I just happened to, you know, want to be the best player on the team and score the most points. But my teammates, they knew what they were supposed to do and they did. One of my teammates hit a three pointer to seal the wins. So people were confident, you know what they had to do.
Speaker 2: You're saying that, and like, that's what we're trying to get in the.
Speaker 3: War that the championship team say the same exact thing, and it's absolutely know your role, own your role, and that even if it's getting two boards a game, own that, you know what I mean, the team needs that and so I absolutely love that it is.
Speaker 4: I wonder what the difference, like the feeling between that win versus if Sarah win didn't chap.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're both like very euphouric.
Speaker 6: Give me Sarah's wink.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, so we want the Celtics one in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 6: I was elated, you know, all all the things.
Speaker 8: And then when they won last year and Tampa, yeah, yeah, there's nothing like that.
Speaker 6: That's yeah, yeah, it was so great.
Speaker 2: First of all, you're All Star one year for the w R. Yeah yeah, heck yeah you are.
Speaker 3: So you played at the highest level college pros and now I was just asking you, I feel like, probably the most anxious you're ever going to be is being a mom on the sideline watching your baby girl do her thing on the biggest level of college hoops. Like, what are you truly feeling like being on this side of it, what did.
Speaker 1: You not know then?
Speaker 8: Beyond nerves like it's zero control on the game, on the outcome, whatsoever. I think we parents like to think that we have some magic word that we can say to activate.
Speaker 6: Something and our children but no powerless yea.
Speaker 8: And also positively optimistic that they're going to put their best foot forward. The best team is going to win today, and so that's really all you can hope for. That's easier said than done. I'm already sweating bullets thinking about it. Just trusting every step of the process we get caught up and hoping that we make the right decisions along the way. And you know, I know Geno and the staff habit.
Speaker 4: So as someone who's been involved with sports almost your whole life, do you do you find it hard to let go a little bit in moments like this because obviously you do know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: You've been in these moments absolutely.
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 4: Is it hard to tell yourself like, let Gino in the staff handle it, or do you it's easy to just hey.
Speaker 2: You know, I know Stone who.
Speaker 1: Knows what's going on.
Speaker 8: And as a mom, like I think we've gotten to a point this season especially and looking back at last season, like she her phone.
Speaker 6: Was off before the before the Final four.
Speaker 8: And we couldn't get to her anyway, and that and when we when she came out and to see her with that level of focus and just preparedness, like, yeah, they know what they're doing.
Speaker 6: So I'm definitely not one to push up on Geno like that.
Speaker 3: You've been around the game forever, still are with the Boston Celtics, which is huge not only for just being in the NBA, but as a woman trailblazing for people who might want to do that when they're done. What do you kind of see in this generation of players that maybe you didn't see when you were playing, And like, what excites you about even the next generation after Sarah's.
Speaker 8: Done with I'm excited about this next generation and I can tell you even the generation that's that's killing it now, you guys, and I include you in there because you're you know, you're an active player multi hyphenates, if I can use that phrase. You guys are so good at so many things, mastering the on court stuff, you are getting exposure to all types of things off the court, just building out that professional profile, so to speak, and you can do many things, and I think the younger generation is learning that in real time from you guys, and yeah, you're just ready.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it shows it's always been there. I think maybe it's just the platform, the opportunity, right. Social media is a good thing, could be a bad thing, but I think that's helped bring a lot of opportunity and eyes to our sport. But I think you were walking proof that the resume of us being more than just an athlete have always been there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a different type of hustle, Like we definitely had to hustle back in the day to get what you guys are now getting very well deserved.
Speaker 4: Obviously we've talked we've talked a lot of women's basketball and women like players and people involved in the WNBA. But as someone who's in the NBA, what do you feel like your trailblazing is someone who you aren't in a women's field.
Speaker 1: You're in a men's field.
Speaker 4: But being a woman in such like a high level, male centered like office, what are you most proud of as far as being a woman in that space?
Speaker 8: And this is not this I say this with the utmost humility, Like if you're in a role like I am, if you're in a space that's male dominated and do you have some influence, you have to leverage that influence to open doors and provide exposure to the underrepresented. And I'm really proud that I embraced that role. I want young women, young girls to know that there is a place in men's sports for them. Yeah, because there's certainly a lot of men and women's professional sports, so we want to make sure that there is just that exposure.
Speaker 3: Everyone is focused on Sarah, right, But I think once you're in it, you realize that it takes a village in a community, in a small circle, some big st but mainly a small circle of really getting her to where she's at.
Speaker 2: And I think I'm just wanting.
Speaker 3: This isn't a question, this is just me showing appreciation that as an athlete, I just want to say thank you for pouring into women's sports, thank you for pouring into Sarah to show her what.
Speaker 2: It can really be like.
Speaker 3: Because I do think that you know, the kids and the athlete, they get all the credit.
Speaker 2: But the parents do so so much. And it's expensive.
Speaker 3: It's expensive to go and travel on the au circuits. It's expensive to travel to every game to be here in support. Because you say, you know, oh, her phone's off. She doesn't need to know. You bring her a certain comfort when she looks up in the stands and she makes eye contact with you.
Speaker 2: I just want to say.
Speaker 3: Thank you from a child perspective, from an athlete perspective of supportive, awesome parents that pour into your children.
Speaker 8: When I went to work with the Celtics, she stayed back in North Carolina with her dad. She wore the tires off his car going to tournament to pick up her friends basketball's in the back. And this past Christmas she bought him a car as a way to say thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah it was. It was pretty moving. Love that.
Speaker 3: Speaking of travel, did you have any rituals when you traveled back in the day, either here or yeah, tell.
Speaker 6: Me about that.
Speaker 8: I've always been one to kind of delve into the culture wherever I am and sitting outside on terrassa having a drink with friends, we need.
Speaker 1: Where did you play?
Speaker 6: I played in France six years in France, nine in.
Speaker 8: Spain, one, Italy, one, Portugal. Sarah is also a naturalized French citizen. Well she has it by birth, but her dad and I are naturalized. So yeah, having played there for so long, Oh that's amazing.
Speaker 4: Did your connections with the Celtics come from playing or going to school in Boston or.
Speaker 8: The kind disorda a little bit. When I at forty, I was like, it's time to retire what you played till you were forty?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 6: I was playing overseas.
Speaker 8: I was, you know, it's didn't know what I wanted to do and just kept playing, working, hustling.
Speaker 6: Until I figured it out out.
Speaker 8: There was a program for former players at the NBA League office. It was called the Basket Operations Associates Program or something like that. The first cool heart were six of us, me, Stacey Lovelace of former Purdue boiler Maker, Ryan Cardinal, Drew Goodens, Corey mcgetty, and Troy Murphy. I want to say it was the last guy, but yeah, that's how I met Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens through that program.
Speaker 1: Was education growing up like a big part of like all of Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: It was the only, really the only motivation.
Speaker 8: My mom was a single parent raising four kids, and yeah, education was the way to get a good job and make money to help the family. And that's why I chose to forego the scholarship and go to Harvard.
Speaker 4: Really yeah, because the IVY you cannot do it.
Speaker 6: Athletic scholarships.
Speaker 1: Athletic scholarships you had to.
Speaker 4: I lived with Harvard football guys my first two years in New York, and so I learned a lot about the IVY League sports. We asked Holly this earlier, is there a community right now and it can be w or college basketball that you think embraces women's sports like more than anywhere else, or some somewhere underrated that.
Speaker 2: You're like, this great question for like someone who's it could.
Speaker 1: Even be in Europe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like somewhere where you're like, they they love women's basketball.
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 8: So I was working with men like the NBA players. I'm around the guys all the time that they love the game. And I also want to shout out like the players who use their platform, like Kevin Durant who's always you know, repping and uplifting and watching the sport. You know, Kobe, May you rest in peace with the jert with the orange sweatshirt like that. That was a watershed moment for for the for the game, and so yeah, I would, I would call out the NBA players.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Actually that's a really good answer.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny And I know you clearly just said this, but to piggyback off that we know that those guys support us.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're behind the scenes with those guys, but you also have played yourself. What do you feel like you have seen change the most in the women's game since, like you played to now.
Speaker 8: The amount of resources available, I think that's the obvious thing, but I the amount of I mean, the women today are.
Speaker 6: Just they don't have to work two jobs. You know, you can dedicate your livelihood.
Speaker 8: Your livelihood is basketball and being a professional and honing your craft.
Speaker 2: What is something you have.
Speaker 3: Like told Sarah in order to like help her, Like what's what's your pieces of advice to her?
Speaker 8: Because you've been in her shoes. I tell her she has to trust like the work that she puts in. If you're in any role, you you might your confidence might, you know, waiver at times. You have to trust that the little daily deposits that you put in over many many, many many years, Like she knows how to do it. That's where you get your confidence from. And also, you know, she's a she's a whole amazing person. If the basketball were not there.
Speaker 4: You've lived overseas, went to school in Boston in Boston now, yes, grew up in South Carolina.
Speaker 2: I thought we were going to get a W team in Boston.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're close close. Keep our fingers crossed basketball aside.
Speaker 4: Do you guys as a family find like travel, vacations whatever it exploring the country, the world like an important part of growing as a person.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we travel a lot.
Speaker 8: Last year we went back to Spain for like a four day trip, Sarah, my husband, my mom, you know, in tow We also went to the British Virgin Islands.
Speaker 6: My husband from the Virgin Islands.
Speaker 2: I just got back from there, like this morning.
Speaker 6: Amazing St.
Speaker 2: Thomas Saint John.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my husband's from Thomas.
Speaker 2: Oh really yeah, spent eleven days there the past two weeks.
Speaker 8: That's amazing. So we do like travel is a big part of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think like everyone has their own reasons, But for me, I just think, yeah, from a young age, learning that people are different than you, like not everything is the way it is in your hometown and your family is so important. I'm just curious what lessons you think you learn being all over the place, and then also like getting to expose you know, Sarah to different places as well.
Speaker 3: She yes, I don't even know if she knows this, but she has such an advantage of being able to already explore Europe in different cultures or like bringing all the good of each culture and like creating your like yourself and.
Speaker 6: You know, that's so true, that's so true. You make a good point.
Speaker 8: I think that's one of the that's a skill, like being able to go to a country that the foreign country and figure out the language, make friends. It's like a survival skill that I'm I'm it was hard, you know, growing up and having to change schools every couple of years. But at the same time, that's that's what allows her to probably play and not look like she feels pressure or out of source because she's been under pressure and in adversity in other situations.
Speaker 6: So I think that's one of the things.
Speaker 8: That's one of the amazing things about traveling and living abroad. You get a chance to you can't speak the language, you have to find another way to communicate to find common ground.
Speaker 2: Two part question. First one, are you a hotel snob?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? Absolutely, the NBA does not.
Speaker 8: Oh gosh, there's nothing like being at a nice hotel, peaceful, the fragrance, all the things.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, so that was my second part.
Speaker 3: Amazing what megs and you have to go into detail here what makes a great hotel room?
Speaker 8: The bed, you guys saw it with the bed, the comforter, the sheets, properly tucked up.
Speaker 6: Amnities in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: But you do get kind.
Speaker 3: Of bougie though, because now you have people like checking on you at night.
Speaker 2: Hey, do you need a little do you want your fire on.
Speaker 7: It?
Speaker 2: But what what are you excited.
Speaker 3: To see from like a basketball perspective from UCLA, from South Carolina, from Texas, because we know, we know what.
Speaker 6: You see from Yukon.
Speaker 2: Everyone sees that, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 8: It's incredible to have four number one seats. This is going to be a crazy final four. I am excited to see all the seniors who are who have one more shot at at a national title. Lauren Bed's Kiki Rice. I mean I think they have six seniors that you know with.
Speaker 5: U C l A.
Speaker 4: That's the sad part. That's the other side too. Yeah, when it's over and it's so it's so heartbreaking.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Madison Booker, how tough is she? And Roy Harmon like that Texas team is stacked and they're and they're due as well. And then you turn to South Carolina and I mean Donald is a former teammate of mine. She's probably one of the teammate I I admire the most. And yeah, here we go again against against against South Carolina.
Speaker 6: So it's gonna be a great, great final four.
Speaker 4: We were talking earlier about that the Geno Don Staley matchup is kind of an iconic march. Rather like that's almost equally the storyline or as an important of a storyline is like the team's playing because.
Speaker 1: Those two have seen each other so much and are so storied.
Speaker 3: Like if you had to give advice to parents or players in this situation of where college sports are today, what advice would you would you give these kids that you know, maybe they are freshmen and they're not getting the stardom that they thought they would?
Speaker 2: Like, what what's it mean to say?
Speaker 1: What's it mean to maybe go?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, that's that's a tough one and I think it, And let me just say at the outset, it depends on the family and the player the situation.
Speaker 6: Each situation is unique.
Speaker 8: I would say, though, that there's something to be said about figuring it out.
Speaker 6: Figuring it out like you you did.
Speaker 8: Hopefully you did the research required when you made the decision to go to a school, that you have some semblance of confidence that you can work your way to a point where you need to work to.
Speaker 3: I just feel like you have such an underdog mentality and I think so many people lack that quality.
Speaker 4: Your story's so dope and how diverse, but it all comes back to ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but Harvard, you got like Europe. It's all.
Speaker 4: It's all very cool and it fits like what we're trying to cover today, and so we think, thank you for pulling up.
Speaker 6: Thank you guys for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was sick. Thank you, Holy freaking Molly, that was awesome. No, that actually so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So thank you to Holly, Thank you to Alison. We cried, cried, and we laughed, laugh, cry, We did all the emotions.
Speaker 3: And then a huge shout out to Merrit bon boy for being here in Phoenick.
Speaker 2: What's on?
Speaker 1: What were doing a rose.
Speaker 2: Amazing, amazing. You guys' team is amazing. The set was awesome.
Speaker 4: We're headed into the women's game and then we're going straight to Indy Live from the Bracket. We already gave away tickets to the twenty twenty sixth Tournament, but we're not done yet. Married Bonvoy is giving away a pair of tickets to the twenty twenty seven Men's and Women's Championships.
Speaker 3: Tanner for a chance to win, head to at show me pod on Instagram and comment your favorite college basketball team on any of our Live from the Bracket posts related to the sweepstakes.
Speaker 4: Be sure to include the hashtag Live from the Bracket in your comment to be eligible.
Speaker 1: Full details in the episode description. Do not miss It.
Speaker 2: No purchase necessary.
Speaker 3: Open to legal residents of the fifty US States or DC who are at least eighteen years old as of the date of entry ends April fifteenth. Rules at rules dot DJA dot com slash Live from the Bracket