Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: We're about to be back on What's up Baby? Give your brother some motivation. It's kind of struggling this morning, just not doing great.
Speaker 3: Good job, thanks Steve, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Hell okay, I had a warm You know what. It's a good point. Your brother's actually doing better than means Karen me this morning. Welcome in another episode What's Right? Nick Right? The podcast the YouTube show like great subscribe review. I'm hearing we're actually falling behind a bit on audio subscribers doing great on YouTube. So if you liked the podcast, you can tweet about at ig about it, TikTok about it, or tell your friends, and if you're listening to the podcast but you're not subscribing, go ahead and subscribe. Tell other people to subscribe. Do all that, so tell them about the podcast. We got caught a bit and not really caught, but for the really, for the first time, we were in an unwinnable situation with Tuesday's pod. We record of these podcasts the afternoon of the day before they're released. We do that so our graphics people can do stuff, so then get up on YouTube all that stuff. So we did a huge portion of Tuesday's pod on Kyrie Irving's Future, and then about five hours, probably less than that. A few hours after we finished recording, Kyrie Irving opted in to his deal with the NETS. Now, I would feel worse about not having a heads up on that until I found out the NETS also didn't have a heads up on that. Then they found out the way we all did via sham Sharania. So I'm telling you all that to say this. The reason we couldn't re record is because I was at a Yankee game. Demanse wasn't invited. I took Diora or his younger sister and her two friends to the Yankee game. Were you bothered by that, by the way, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was actually really mad about missing the baseball game.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, you weren't mad about missing the baseball game that I know. However, I also know that it was a little weird because when I found out I had the tickets, I said, you were in the kitchen. I said, Deora, invite friends if they can't come, demanse and so, and you were like, oh, thanks, but that really was the situation. Yeah, And then Diora invited some friends and they couldn't go. Then she invited another group of friends they couldn't go, and finally you were almost in there. You were this close to being in there, but unfortunately Diora's like third pick of friends ended up rumping you going to the baseball game. So point is we couldn't re record. The reason I'm telling you that is a a bit of a mia kolpa for Tuesday and also a little you know update. As we are recording this Wednesday afternoon, free agency technically starts in the NBA or the early tampering period all that stuff tomorrow, which is when this comes out, So there is a possibility there is some breaking news between when we finish today and when you hear it tomorrow. If there is enough leeway, enough lead time, we'll add something to the show. But my guess is it's going to be pretty quiet over the next eighteen hours. We shall see, all right, So there is the preamble. Now we will get into the show, and as we always do, we will discuss what we are not discussing. What did not make the show today is oh my goodness, Serena losing it round one at Wimbledon, only the third time ever she's lost in the first round of a major. She didn't train, she was out of shape. She shows up to Wimbledon. Looked like it was going to be a stirring first round bick you didn't watch. She loses the first set i think, seven to five, wins the second set six to one, and then third set goes to a tiebreaker. She's she's two points away from winning the match, ends up losing in a tiebreaker ten seven. Sorry, Serena. Stream might never get that Margaret Court passing major. It's a shame she was so close that you was open a few years ago. The commanders extend scary Terry. That is Terry McLaurin, What are you laughing about nothing that I mentioned? Margaret Court?
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean about the Open era? You did see the tennis match?
Speaker 2: You did not see the tennis match? All right, you are lying fair enough, of course, fair enough.
Speaker 3: We can agree to disagreement.
Speaker 2: We're not agreeing to disagree on anything. We are agreeing that you were What channel was it on?
Speaker 3: Seven? Seven? Oh?
Speaker 2: I love that you're learning from me if you just lie confidently and immediately it was on ESPN, by the way, and then a five hundred dollars NFL, NBA, NHL parlay. That's too hundred and seventy thousand dollars, guy bet on the Rams, the Warriors and the Colorado Avalanche all to win championships was five hundred dollars free bet and that's almost a quarter of a million bucks. Shoutout to team. All right, that is the longest preamble we've done.
Speaker 3: Let's say, for what we're not doing. That was a lot of a lot of what.
Speaker 2: We're not doing about the server show. Okay, what what are we doing today? Go ahead and start our new sixteen minute club.
Speaker 4: Kyrie and Russ are both opting into their player options. Yeah, but teams are still expected to pursue Kyrie via trade.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, Lebron probably are most likely wants Russ out of there. Either one of these guys be on their current team by the start of the season.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think they're both going to be on their team by the start of the season. I do not think Kyrie is going to finish this season with the Nets. I think the whole thing, let's start with Kyrie, then we'll get to Russ. The whole thing with Kyrie and the Nets was uncomfortable, and the fact that he didn't inform the team he was opting in weird is weird. The fact that the team said, listen, find a sign in trade, you find someone that wants you shows that the Nets weren't exactly devastated the possibility, pardon me of him leaving. Brian Windhorst reported that Joe Sai was willing to lose Kyrie and Kevin Durant in order to avoid what happened last year, all the mayhem. And that leads me to believe that Kyrie is on his final strike. And so do we expect Kyrie to have perfect attendant, perfect behavior throughout the year. I think that's a tough one. Additionally, we found out that Kyrie would not be devastated about leaving the Nets, not only because he was trying to go to one of six other places, but also what was what's been reported in the last forty eight hours is that the Nets offered him multiple contracts that were longer term than just one year. He turned them all down. His only, you know, counter offer was a one year essentially the deal he's on now, plus a player option, Meaning Kyrie was not willing to accept any contract that guaranteed he was going to be with the Nets long term. And so to me, this is a marriage of necessity at the moment, this is a situation.
Speaker 3: To the Lakers. A little bit later, well, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know if the Lakers, if I know, people keep bringing up the Kyrie for rusting the Nets, don't want that. So I don't know that there is a viable path to the Lakers. But I feel like this is a toxic relationship right now, but a divorce the both parties feel like they can't afford it, and so it's not great. And so I don't know that Kyrie is going to finish the season with the Nets. Now we go to Russ. The Lakers fact, Joe Bamboo of The Athletic you Know, just reported that they are still shopping Russ, but they are unwilling to attach any draft picks to him to get him off the team. It is just baffling to me that the Lakers have convinced themselves that either the twenty twenty seven or the twenty twenty nine first round pick is this incredibly valuable thing, because what that implies is the Lakers think they're going to be really bad in short order. Why would you think that. So, let's so, here's the Lebron piece. Lebron likely isn't going to be on the team in a year. Okay. If he is on the team, it's because he's still excellent. If he's not on the team, you have all that cap space that has opened up, and you are the Lakers of the number one free agent destination of the last fifty years in the NBA. Additionally, you have locked into his contract, Anthony Davis in the prime of his career. Why are you doing all these things, operating as if while by twenty twenty five we're going to be terrible. In twenty twenty five, you're either going to have I guess still have Lebron if he's playing at this level, which is highly unlikely, or you're going to have the cap space that Lebron's fifty million coming off the books creates, and you're going to have Anthony Davis on your team. So I just don't like how the Lakers have been operating. I think it's incredibly foolish. I think they're the fact that they at that. You look at the Lakers over the last forty years, none of their stars were homegrown guys. There are trades and and free agent signings, and so that's how they got Lebron, It's how they got Anthony Davis. It's how they got Shack. They traded for Kobe on Draft Day. I mean, you go back to Eddie Jones and so Kareem. Yes, they drafted Magic, they drafted Worthy, but they even acquired Wilt Like it just doesn't make sense to me how they're running things in Los Angeles. I don't think Russ is gonna magically work there. I don't think he's magically gonna become a good defender. So no, I am as pessimistic about this season for the Lakers as I have been for any Lebron James season of my entire life. All Right, what's next?
Speaker 3: It was a great understandable take right there.
Speaker 2: Thanks, buddy, I appreciate that. I like the positive reinforcement. You can tell I was a little down before the show. You're trying to pick me up. I appreciate it. All right, go ahead, Hey.
Speaker 3: Got you man.
Speaker 4: Houston bought out John Wall. Yeah, he's signing with the Clippers.
Speaker 3: So PG thirteen, KWHI.
Speaker 4: And John Wall would have been a great big three maybe about five ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, But which LA team do you.
Speaker 3: Think is more delusional in their chances at winning a title?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think the Clippers can win the title. I thought the Clippers were poised to be one of the two best teams in the West before they added John Wall. Now I don't think John Wall is a real needle mover. He could be. I think anyone that is coming out today or this week with a like an incredibly strong John Wall take is being a little disingenuous John Wall. I'm doing this off the top of my head, Buddy, believe this to be true. His last five years games played forty one thirty two zero forty zero. He has not played more than forty one games in any the last five years, and in the last three years combined he played forty total games. He has had a couple horrific injuries, and then last year the Rockets just put him on Ioilu. So anyone acting like you're going to get twenty point nine assists dynamic John Wall, I think they're being misleading. Flipside, is this anyone acting like, oh, John Wall clearly has nothing left, You're just well, people thought that about a much older player, Al Horford, whose team year before this sat him the whole year. The way Houston sat John Wall the year off actually helped Al Horford and he was excellent. Now, the problem with Wall is he's never been a great shooter. He's relied on his athleticism, and that athleticism obviously is not the same. And now that he's into his thirties, and now that he's suffered the injuries. But do I think John Wall could be better than Reggie Jackson? I absolutely do. Do I think it's worth the seven million bucks for the Clippers? Absolutely so? If and Kawhi also just had a year off, I know he was rehabbing the acl But I think the Clippers they have an excellent coach. If Kawhi and Paul George are healthy, I think that they are not going to deal with some of the leadership issues they dealt with their first year together with when Doc Rivers was there. So I trust Tyleru. Kawhi is excellent when he's available. Anything you get from John Wall's a bonus. So I don't think the Clipper are being delusional about their title chances at all. I think the Lakers right now have no title chances. I think the Lakers absolutely are delusional if they think they are a title contending team with the moves that they've made, with which are no moves whatsoever, they're going to lose people. All Right, what's next?
Speaker 3: Your best pal? Draymond had some funny things to say on his podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I said that they wouldn't they would have beat the war I mean they would have beat the Rockets without Katie, but wouldn't have beaten the Caves without Katie.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 4: So obviously you know you're gonna defend Lebron's legacy here. Okay, why would he say these things?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know why Draymond would say these things other than the content. You know, wheel keeps on spinning and he's got to create it. You know, I haven't said anything about Andrew Wiggins late. He skips on vacation, steven A's on vacation, so his real passion of media criticism, he didn't have anything, you know, new barriers pluck there, so he instead he just said, you know, Steph couldn't create his own shot and they wouldn't have beaten the Caves without Katie. So do I agree with him? Yes, I do agree with him. Do I agree with him though, that they would have beaten the twenty eighteen Rockets, I actually don't. They almost lost the twenty eighteen Rockets with Katie. They're three two in that series, and then Chris Paul got hurt. But here is what I find interesting, And this is where I'm going to talk about Lebron because this is why I find the count the Rings part of the Goat debate so reductive and so boring, because who is better Michael Jordan or Lebron James. Something that should not factor into that debate at all is Kevin Durant's life decisions, But it ended up being maybe for most people the determining factor because let's just take let's say Draymond, who did play in these series. Let's say he's correct that the Warriors would have lost to the Cavs in twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen without Kevin Durant. If that would have happened, Lebron would now be sitting here with six rings.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And if Lebron had six rings, including a three peat, which Draymond's talking about, then it would probably be eighty five fifteen Lebron versus mGy as far as who the goat is. Instead, it's about eighty five to fifteen the other direction because it's six rings to four instead of six rings to six. But Kevin Durant's life decisions have should not be correlated at all with who's the better basketball player, Michael Jordan or Lebron James. But it skews the debate more than just about anything imaginable. And so yeah, I do agree with I think the best we have ever seen Lebron, as good as he was in Miami, was the greatest stretch of his career was the final three games of the twenty sixteen finals up until the first game of the twenty eighteen finals. That's the j R. Smith game. Yeah, and then you know, Lebron punches the wall in the locker room after the game, messes up his hand. They end up losing the last three games. But that playoff run in twenty eighteen is the highest level of basketball anyone has ever played. He had two buzzer beaters to win games. He had eight forty point games. He had fifty one eight to eight in Game one of the finals. Almost. I think it's the greatest game anyone's ever played, almost single handedly beating that Warriors team, and Katie was the difference. And so I just find if you think Jordan or Kareem or Wilt or Lebron or hell, there's maybe maybe a small case he made for magic. Any of those guys are the greatest players ever. I will listen to you. But when it just comes down to just the rings, Like that's that movie where, oh gosh, I forget the movie. It's like Paul Rudd's in it, Jason Segal's in it. They're arguing with these little kids, and the little black kid says to him, Uh, it's the the only argument you have is six rings. And Jason Sagall yells back in his face. It's the only argument.
Speaker 3: I need, Brian, bottles, bottles, bottle gold.
Speaker 2: Maybe role model someone telling you something old bottles instead of role models trying to do tho. I think I remember it. Oh they're telling me, but I can't quite hear them correctly. Roll on of this. But sorry, buddy, but that really is what it is. It really is. And so I just find that argument to be uh, a little banal and a and a little trite for what could be.
Speaker 3: A little bit of trite, A little bit of a little bit of trite.
Speaker 4: All right, well, what yeah, yeah, okay, banal b in a L.
Speaker 2: B A A L. Would you like definition lacking in originality as to become obvious and boring?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 2: Is that not the perfect word? Stellar use of thank you appreciate that. Good job. You should work that into your your lexicon.
Speaker 3: All right, what's next my lexicon?
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Free agency starts this Thursday. It's possible that all these guys.
Speaker 3: Were about to talk about are all signed by the time you guys hear this.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: Uh, But we want to know what what what are the best fits in free agency? The big names like Bradley Beal, Zach Lavine, Jalen Brunson, and DeAndre Ayden.
Speaker 3: So instead of predicting, we came up with a little dating game.
Speaker 2: A dating game, yep, okay, what's that?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, we're going to show you a player and then we stripe right.
Speaker 3: On which team exactly. Uh.
Speaker 4: Each card will have their own little attributes and stuff. But the people will see this.
Speaker 3: Okay. So if you're oh, I'm sorry, know it's me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead. I have a question in a moment.
Speaker 3: So, if you're Jalen Brunson, who are you swiping on?
Speaker 2: The MAVs? Are the Knicks? So here's my question. We were going to show it the Okay, don't worry about something. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: You're fine.
Speaker 2: You're whispering into the microphones. Not actually, uh, I don't know which way to do. Don't don't go through the graphics yet. I am I'm only thirty seven, but I've been with your mom for fifteen years.
Speaker 3: You're about to say something about tender.
Speaker 2: Correct, which is so I stopped being single in like seven o eight, yeah, which pre dates all the apps. Yeah, so I've never had a think. But that was a website back then. Okay, I don't think it was an app. My point is this is swipe right, good or bad.
Speaker 3: Swiping right is great.
Speaker 2: Swipe so you want to so right, yes, sir?
Speaker 3: Okay? Like the team.
Speaker 2: So if you're Jalen Brunson, should you'd be swiping right now?
Speaker 3: We can show them on the Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 2: Dallas Mavericks or the New York Knicks. I think for Brunson, the MAVs obviously make more sense. I am also I also believe he's signing with the Knicks. I think giving Jalen Brunson four years for one hundred and ten million is wildly irresponsible for the Knicks, and I am glad the MAVs are not doing. I understand the MAVs might be taking a slight step back with this, but you Jalen Brunson is a nice player. He is not good enough for him to be Luca's one other you know, max near max level player if you're gonna go win titles.
Speaker 3: I think it's not great, but.
Speaker 2: It's not great, but it doesn't lock them into a team with a hard ceiling. So I would tell Jalen if the MAVs are offering you five to four for one hundred. Take that. I listen. His dad coaches with the Knicks, His former agent run the Knicks. His current agent's dad runs is the guy running the Knicks. There's all these connections, they've cleared, all this cap space. He's gonna pick the Knicks for four for one ten, which is just too much money for Jalen Brunson. All right, what's next?
Speaker 3: If you're Bradley Beal? Were you swiping on Washington Wizards or Miami Heat?
Speaker 2: Okay, so Beal's not Beal. I believe he is a free agent. But I believe what Beal's going to do, or he could be a free agent I should say, is take the max from Washington and then if he wants to leave, askout later, which is something NBA teams are getting very frustrated with guys doing taking the max money from the hometown if you will team, and then a year or two later asking out. But Beal seems to like it in Washington. They're gonna give him five for two point fifty or close to it. He's going to pick Washington. Obviously, if you're actually chasing a ring, you'd be better off trying to find your way down to Miami. But I do not think that's realistic at all.
Speaker 4: All Right, what's last, Okay, DeAndre Ayton, you are swiping? Or the San Antonio Spurs or the Atlanta Hawks.
Speaker 2: Oh? I The Atlanta Hawks to me is, without a question, the Spurs. I don't under the Spurs. First of all, you don't know the coach is gonna be long term, because I think Pop is gonna move, is gonna retire soon. Second of all, they might be trading away their best player, Dejontay Murray the Hawks. Meanwhile, I like Trey a lot. He's not where he needs to be yet. I like some of their other young pieces, and I think DeAndre Ayton could be excellent for them. So I am absolutely going with the Atlanta Hawks. I'm swiping right on the Atlanta Hawks if I'm DeAndre Ayton. Great job, by the way, on these little if you're watching on YouTube, if you're not watching on YouTube, this is a segment to go check out on YouTube because the little title cards of these guys, their tender profile pictures, is really the embarrassing moment. Fun facts, favorite quotes, It's very fun. I was watching it while we were doing because I hadn't seen those. Okay, we almost hit the clock. The reason we didn't was because you screwed up the game. You didn't know how to get us into it. Were whispering into the microphone. You have to take that l not me. We'll be right now.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Tania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: I gave you the definition of panol. Do you know the definition of trite?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Do you? It's synonym of banal.
Speaker 2: Not quite, but there's a good What if I say it's.
Speaker 4: Trite, I guess wait, say it in another sentence, like, so, give me some context.
Speaker 2: It will do this because I now know people can feed things into your ears. What's happening right now is Demanse is stalling, and the reason he needs a stall is because our control room also doesn't know the definition of pretty basic. I these words, so they need the time to google it.
Speaker 4: I'm not stalling at all. Nobody's going nobody say anything to me. That was me talking to you. Yep, you got him. They're not gonna say anything. You just saw them.
Speaker 2: I don't trust those people.
Speaker 3: I just think that you can't use it in another sentence.
Speaker 2: It's well, you were right that it is a synonym of branal. Yeah, so it's like something if something is cliche or something is it means just unarriginal. Okay, so yeah, they are a little redumbing.
Speaker 3: But I'm telling you, I can't wait to use that word.
Speaker 2: Which one try.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty it's a funny one.
Speaker 2: It's a funny one.
Speaker 3: I feel like somebody would slap me in my face saying it.
Speaker 2: You hang with a lot of people that use physical violence. If someone says a word they don't understand, that's your crew. Your crew is just handing out opening the barbarians, trying to educate them. You drop air udyite in the conversation, all of a sudden, you get punched in the head. Dude, that's that's who you're hanging with.
Speaker 3: A man, let's talk about Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 2: Okay, you ready for this? You want to start the segment? Okay, all right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright. We're gonna play a game in just a moment. It's everyone's favorite new game, Nick Wright Public Defender. But before that, let's talk Baker Mayfield. Go right ahead to mase up.
Speaker 4: With Deshaun Watson potentially getting suspended. Mayfield says, both sides are ready to move on. But or sorry, but he hasn't burned any bridges with the Brownship.
Speaker 2: No, he hasn't. If they were handled himself quite well. For all the Baker Mayfield critics out there, he's handled this whole situation quite well.
Speaker 4: But go ahead, right And he said if they were to make up, it would be on the Browns to reach out. Yeah, and no team seemed to be exactly drooling at the thought of Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 3: But the Browns, the Browns may be without Watson for the year, and they don't own their trade pit or their picks. Yep. So who needs who more? Baker or the Browns.
Speaker 2: They need each other. And this is what the Browns need to do. Okay, because the Deshaun Watson trade might go down as the worst trade in NFL history. It's on the board. They traded all those picks, gave him all that guaranteed money, and it is on the board that he never plays it. I'm not saying I'm predicting he never plays again, but that could happen. And it is overwhelmingly likely that he misses at least ten games, maybe the full season, maybe more than that.
Speaker 3: So and it is are they a verdict right now?
Speaker 2: Well, right now there his people are meeting with the NFL's people and there, but ultimately the NFL is going to decide what they want, and he might end up being fought in actual court, not just NFL court. It's gonna take some time. The Browns, because they don't own their picks, because they're theoretically a good team, they can't go into the your Jacoby Weresett and I like Jacoby. They can't go into your Jacoby as their starting quarterback. Baker, meanwhile, has there's no team that seems to be thirsting at the idea of him being the starting quarterback, and any team that would want him is going to be a terrible team like Seattle, So it isn't everyone's best interest. So if I were Cleveland by Andrew Berry, I call Baker Mayfield. I'm like, see, let's get together, Baker, all come to you right and listen, man, you don't like us. We understand. We'd like to tell you we like you, but our actions speak otherwise. We hope you understand. However, you want a big, long term, guaranteed contract. We want to win as many games as possible this year. Our incentives are actually aligned right now, right, So what we would like for you to do is coming and be our starting quarterback. For listen, If Deshaun only gets a half year suspension, that's that's perfect because the trade deadline's right around Week eight. You play well, someone then will want you, will trade you there. If he gets suspended for the whole year, you play for us the entire season and here and you play well. Now all of a sudden you have real value and you'll be a true free agent. Here's what we'll give you. We will amend your contract not for more money, but we will amend your contract so it says we cannot franchise Tag and that will if we trade you, that team won't be able to franchise tag you either. That way, after this year, you are a true free agent. You ball out, we win, you win a We don't have to like each other in order to work together. That is absolutely what the Browns should do. I wonder if they will have the you know, if the will swallow their pride enough, because I think Baker would do it because Baker wants to play and Baker wants to prove to the world he's still a high level starting quarterback in this league.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Yeah, no, I mean, I think I think that playing for the bread playing for the Browns is definitely Baker Mayfield's best.
Speaker 2: Best option right now. It's his best option without question. The Browns need to open that door. I think they should. I think Baker's handled this about as well as anyone can. And listen, the Browns that it's not. That doesn't save the Browns from the fact that they were one and thirty one to two years before they got Baker Mayfield. They then got annoyed that he wasn't one of the five best quarterbacks in football. Right, So they traded all their picks and gave all this guaranteed money to a guy who may never play for them, but at least for this season it could salvage it. All right, time for the game, now, Nick Right, public defender? What are you doing? What are you reaching for? Oh? Yo, you got props? You have a gabble? Hold on? What else do you have?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: This is getting zany.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: Why do I get a gabble?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: It, says Nick Right, public defender?
Speaker 3: On it?
Speaker 2: Let me see yours? Does yours say anything? Demon's day, judge and jury? All right, well, just so I listen. I'm surprised. Oh you have a judge's wig. I didn't you gotta put this on?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh this is great. Oh I love it. By the way, I'm surprised because a lot of our producers, I'm sure, have spent a lot of time in and out of courtrooms. The lawyers don't get gabbles. I do appreciate that you guys gave me one, but I shouldn't have one. Demonsey should have one. Okay, who's my first client?
Speaker 3: Ugh?
Speaker 4: So Nick traded away their draft picks cleared up cap space for Kimba, hired Jalen Brunce's dad to coach and potentially recruit him. Uh. Are they going all in on RJ. Barrett and Jalen bruns in future defend the next year?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Let me say this on the front end of at least this one. I want to make this very clear. I do not like what the Knicks are doing, Okay, and I am Nick right. The idea of Nick Wright public defender is I have to defend things no matter what, even if I don't agree with them. Okay. So I don't want anyone to clip this like, oh no yet, we're not in court yet. I'm just letting the audience know how this works.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So who's my client? The Knicks, and I need to defend their offseason? Yes, okay, so I'm I'm defending Leon Rose worldwide West For all of you out there criticize that our moves of acquiring B level players like a Julius Randall, like a Jalen Brunson stocking up draft picks, all of you folks saying that isn't the way you're the Knicks. You're supposed to be big fish, big whale hunting. So who's the last superstar to say, you know what, I want to sign with the New York Nickson free agency our previousmes what they got an olda Marii Stodomar. They got an old Antonio mcdyce. They traded everything in the world for Carmelo Anthony, so they couldn't compete with Carmelo Anthony. How many times do you want the Knicks to follow the same path that hasn't worked out? Oh? You want me to hold this cap space? What? So I can then overpay in a trade for Donovan Mitchell. I could trade all RJ. Barrett and other pieces and draft picks to get Donovan Mitchell. Or I can just sign out right a player who is seventy five percent the cost of Donovan Mitchell but eighty percent the player in Jalen Brunson and everyone criticizing Julius Randall. Yes, guy's not allowed to have one bad year. He was second team All NBA, he got MVP votes just a year ago, and RJ Barrett third overall pick of the draft. He played one year in college. Did you not see signs of improvement?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 2: So what we are doing in New York is we are still going to have some cap flexibility. We are building a call it minimized big three of RJ. Barrett, who one day will be the best player on the team, Julius Randalls is the second best player, Jalen Brunson's the third best player. Plus having these draft picks, plus having the cap flexibility. So in case, what if Kevin Durant sours on Brooklyn but doesn't want to leave the city of New York where his businesses are set up. What if Kyrie Irving all of a sudden next off season decides, you know what, I want to stay in New York, but I don't want to stay with the Nets because I'm angry at how they've treated me. Or what if the next superstar X like a Zion Williamson says, hey, I want to play with my college teammate RJ. Barrett. We're sorry. We're not trying to microwave this thing. We are trying to do a long term plan. Unlike all the previous Knicks regimes. I rest my case. Okay, can I some real quick?
Speaker 3: Is it once?
Speaker 2: No? That's fine? You did fine. I don't believe anything what I just said. I think that what the Knicks are doing is batshit insane. Okay, all right, what's my next client?
Speaker 3: Probably right, this is a this is a fun one.
Speaker 4: So Kendrick Perkins went on to a podcast with JJ Redik and Tommy Alter to say that he prayed that Lebron got hurt in the Eastern Conference Eastern semi Finals. Sin more specifically prayed that he tore his a c o U. JJ Redick and Tommy Alter try to give him out multiple times, but you know, he said, still put it up.
Speaker 3: Defend your client here, Kendrick Perkins.
Speaker 2: It's very simple. Uh, what do you want from your country? What do you want from your media? What do you want from your sports media?
Speaker 3: Honesty?
Speaker 2: Honesty, thank you your honor. That's what you know, That's what we expect in this courtroom. Do you want honesty or do you just want generic look it up your honor? Do you just want you know, just you know, just coach speaking, players speak of oh yeah, we always just want it. We want to play the best teams at their best. Or do you want a player to tell you the cold hard truth that you know what, I want to win the title. I don't care. I don't want to have to go through the best I want, the easiest path possible, and that twenty three year old Lebron James scared the hell out of me and my client, Kendrick Perkins. And so what By attacking Kendrick Perkins, you are attacking the truth. By attacking Kendrick Perkins, you are attacking the ability for anyone to ever be honest with their opinion if it goes against what dare I say the woke mob would demand. Now I know all of you would like to cancel Kendrick Perkins, because.
Speaker 3: I honestly don't want to. Can you respect the honesty?
Speaker 2: It's very refreshing, well, your honor. I'm not sure you're supposed to chime in with an opinion on this case. Maybe you're supposed to recuse yourself if you're bro Kendrick Perkins, maybe keep that to yourself and then in your chambers be like, ah, good, good point, my public defender, there order in the court or okay, I'm I'm ruling you out of order because you're not supposed to be giving an opinion here. Let's just move on to the next.
Speaker 3: One, all right, Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: The Nathan's Hot dog eating contest is one day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Joey Chessnut is one of fourteen of the last fifteen.
Speaker 3: Some say that he's the greatest athlete of all time.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, your client is anyone who thinks Joey Chestnut is the goat of goats?
Speaker 3: Defend them? Okay?
Speaker 2: I I would ask ladies and gentlemen of the jury and the prosecution to who who I'm against is, to who is Joey Chestnut competing against her? If the question is the greatest athlete to all time, I'm gonna say, oh, Michael Jordan. Basketball has been around for less than one hundred and fifty years. Oh, I think it's Muhammad Ali. Okay boxing in its present form has been around for two hundred and fifty years. Oh, I think it's Usain Bolt. Okay running has been around for a couple thousand years. You know what's been around longer than all of those by a factor of about fifty hot dogs eating? Oh and in fact, one could argue that Usain Bolt, Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan none of them could have survived, let alone thrived without the one skill my client has mastered, which is eating. Now, can you eat without being able to run, you can. Can you run without being able to eat? You cannot? Can you throw a football like Tom Brady without being able to eat? Of course not. And in fact, the greatest athletes ever of the modern era, what do they spend a lot of time focusing on what they eat, how they eat their nutrition. My client, on the other hand, he's not just the greatest hot dog eating doesn't just hold hot dog eating championships. Basically every food out there. You want oysters, go to Joey Chestnut, You want chicken wings, go to my client Joey Chestnut. You want to see the guy who can drink the most lemonade, go to Joey Chestnut. So if someone people have literally been eating for as long as there have been people, there was never a period of time where people existed in eating, didn't he's the greatest ever to do. It's like you'd be like, you know, who could be a better athlete than my client? Bring me the greatest breather ever. Someone if there are breathing competitions held worldwide in different love of atmosphere, different oxygenation levels, and all of a sudden, that guy is just kicking everyone's ass and breathing. I might say, you know what, Joey, you're now the second goat, But until that competition exists, when there is something as as essential to life as literal nutrition, and he's the greatest ever, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say he's the greatest athlete ever. Or you can be like, no, actually, Nick, it's this guy who throws this pig skin on a field that's one hundred yards long, or this guy who puts this basketball in this circle that we just arbitrarily decided it's ten feet tall. Sounds stupid when you think about it, it really does. The only person who I will listen to is Usain Bolt, because there is an argument that that you know, eight thousand years ago, yes, folks had to eat, they also had to run because they had to run from sabertooth tigers.
Speaker 3: And whatnots not that eight years ago.
Speaker 2: But okay, once again, your honor, I you embracing the fact that dinosaurs did exist. However, we now need to get you to remind you of your honor. Dinosaurs and human beings never overlapped. There was never a human being that had to run from a dinosaur. They did have to run, though, from some wooly mammoths from some sabretooth tigers. So I'll listen to you, sain Bolt. However, those folks that had to run, they eventually could retire to a cave and block it off where they didn't have to run. You know what they had to do in that cave eat? There are no days off on eating that. That's the truth. So why Joey Chestnuts the goat? All right? That's the latest edition of Nick Wright Public Defender. And you know who listens and watches the podcast. A man who once upon time had a great podcast of his own, but now is just doing bigger and bigger things on T and T with the inside the NBA crew, Adam Lefko and Lefgo, who I went to college with a radio with in college, said that I absolutely need to go to Louisiana and try to take the bar there. I'd say about three more installments of Nick Wright Public Defender, and I just assume someone's gonna give me an honorary law degree and then I can take the bar in New York State.
Speaker 3: I don't see why not.
Speaker 2: I don't I mean, can we can we just be honest America about something before we move on. I might be the greatest in the world at constructing impromptu arguments that I don't even agree with myself. Do you guys want to know something? I hate Joey Chestnutt, But by the end of that I had at least some of y'all being like, you know what, he makes a strong case. You know what, maybe he is the greatest athlete ever. We'll be right back, all right, welcome back in What's Right Nick Right Podcast YouTube show. We're about to wrap the show. Uh, I guess some questions for your pal. I don't know why you had that cheesey little grin on your face right there.
Speaker 3: About to be great?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm not saying they're gonna be good or bad. I so let me just tell the audience what's going on. So Demanse is when we're done with the show, driving to the airport. Are you okay with us going down this road?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, driving to the airport, pick up his beloved girlfriend from the airport, who is going to be in New York for the next thirty days. And she's a wonderful young woman. I think you guys, you guys are great. I also know that you guys have been long distance for quite some time. Yeah, and you're now not only going to be together for the next month, but also you know, in New York, in New York and living together for the next month, not here elsewhere. And so I'm just curious mentally, are you prepared for this? Is there anything I can help you with? Any advice you feel like you need from me or you know, any of the crew because you are the youngest on the crew. Yeah, you're also a lot of us are married or in serious long term relationships. You're in this long distant relationship that's now all of a sudden about becomes zero distant relationships. You're gonna be You're gonna be sleeping in the same room, living in the same Airbnb for thirty days. I'm just curious your level of anxiety.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think I'm pretty anxiety free.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, just excited about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's gonna be cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you don't want any you don't want any advice from me?
Speaker 4: I feel like, uh, I mean, what what what advice do you think that you could give me?
Speaker 3: Off the top?
Speaker 2: Like, oh, well, I mean, what what couldn't I give you? You know, what I mean, Like, I know, there's a lot, I just but if you don't want it, I don't want to. I don't want to force.
Speaker 4: So I think that if there's something that you think that I could potentially oversee, or like something that you think that I don't tend to.
Speaker 2: Oh, listen, I think that there's that. I think your hygiene is not an issue. You're cut is not an issue. I think that. Just always remember before you get too irritated, there's no there's nothing, no rule against Hey, I'll be right back, just taking a walk around the block seeing like do I really want to argue about this? Like that? That's always useful remembering that because you live in New York, the cool stuff about New York that is not that unique to you is pretty unique to her. So like hey, checking out a museum, Hey, you want to just walk around Central Park? Those types of things, a lot of ways in New York to have fun without spending money that you that you know what I mean, that you can engage in. And then there's the non relationship factor of this, which which is my secondary question here, which is how you think you're going to be able to handle getting to work on time? When instead of getting to work, you just have to walk upstairs. Do you now have to get here from you know, where your airbnb is? And I'm just curious, do we need to like push back the podcast start time or or do you think you're gonna be okay because whatever you say here, we're gonna hold.
Speaker 3: You to.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, so this is like I feel like this is like the whole betting situation. But no, I think that since I normally wake up at eight for the podcast, I think it will be perfect. The airbnb is about twenty minutes away from here. Twenty twenty five minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that takes me twenty minutes to get here.
Speaker 4: That's I get here by eight twenty. But obviously I'm not waking up and hitting straight here. As long as i'm ready by eight forty five, you know, nine o'clock, I'll get here on time.
Speaker 3: And I think that it'll actually be in a way better for me. Really not okay, not better, No way. It's better than sleeping directly downstairs, uh huh.
Speaker 4: But I think it will make the mornings make me a little bit even more active by the time I get here.
Speaker 2: I think that's correct, But I just want to make sure I have this right. We don't have no, no, no, I just want to make sure I have this part right if it make sure I understood it. When when you do the podcast from twenty feet away, you get up at eight. Yeah, and your plan when you're doing the podcast from a different burrow is to still get up at eight. Did I hear that correctly? You did? Okay, it's gonna work out swimming late. I love it. I love it. I yeah. I usually do the podcast literally right beneath where now I'm doing it from, you know, across a bridge, So I figure wake up around the same thing. First one, I figure still same thing.
Speaker 3: I'm not backing down a at all.
Speaker 4: Okay, because first of all, uh huh, yeah, I wake up at eight, But realistically if I.
Speaker 3: Not, if I wanted to, I can wake up at nine. It doesn't take me that long to get ready.
Speaker 4: Like the think me being awake at eight is just me waking up and being you know, active, having my mind ready for the podcast.
Speaker 3: So it's it's not.
Speaker 4: Like that hour and a half is me downstairs getting done up doing makeup.
Speaker 2: No I no, don't get me wrong. I don't think you're doing extra prepace. I'm aware that you're not using that time to like, let me really research these topics.
Speaker 4: I am doing rundown stuff and I do gloss over the things that are going.
Speaker 2: Now listen, it'll be fun. I'm excited for the whole thing.
Speaker 3: The first podcast isn't until next Wednesday, so I've gone.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but yeah, that is true. Best of Show coming on the fourth of July, so check that out. They they I saw the tentative rundown for the Best of Show and it said gonna have a ton of demons stuffing. I'm like, oh, that's interesting, Like what the producers think of the thing of me? Hey, guys, we need five of our best segments are the ones where Nick talks the least end. Put those in there, and also Players what are we down to? Players six and seven on our Top fifty the last fifty years. Those are coming out this Sunday on our continued countdown on the same podcast and YouTube feeds. We will talk to you guys next week. Have a wonderful fourth of July. I see you guys. Then, what trade