Speaker 1: Are you leave in I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 2: Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 3: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay a.
Speaker 1: We want to send you off InStyle. We want to welcome you back home.
Speaker 3: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 4: We scared her?
Speaker 5: Was it fine?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Porn? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need with Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 5: And this is Karen Kilgarath.
Speaker 4: Karen, usually this is at the beginning, at the top of the podcast. I always ask how you're doing, but I it's just an in a reflex, you know, I do care how you're doing. But I know, yeah, neither of us really have anything to report. Probably, but I'm just checking.
Speaker 1: Do you no you mean since the last time we talked to each other.
Speaker 5: Probably not.
Speaker 1: It would if there was a report, it would be like the lady delivered my Instacart. I feel incredibly grateful to instacart workers. I give big tips, so don't judge me for using instacart. I thought it was bad for a long time. Vince Abril the Great explained how it's not bad if you just tip. Yeah, and so now I have somebody that shops for me or you know, an app, and god damn, it's the greatest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can only do so much. I've been trying to support independent businesses, and I'm being taught a lesson in that. Because I saw the refrigerator I wanted. It was right down at home depot, this retro looking red refrigerator. I'm very excited about it. But I decided to support an independent business and ordered it from Saint Louis and it still hasn't shipped. It's been over four weeks. Yeah, a refrigerator that I've been looking at for years.
Speaker 1: Let's introduce our guests so that he can get in on this discussion, because we need to discuss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's so much more to say about this refrigerator. I'd like Karen please introduce our guests. Okay, our guests today.
Speaker 1: We're so lucky because now we have a booker for this show, so we're going to have guests consistently, and we're gonna have great guests. And where I gonna have guests that we didn't have to guilt into doing the podcast with us. We didn't ask them seven minutes before we started recording. Like we're becoming a real podcast and it feels amazing and Scotti uh our.
Speaker 5: Guest today, whoop?
Speaker 1: Sorry, our guest today is one of our first officially booked guests.
Speaker 5: Yay through a booker.
Speaker 1: Mister of the Bananas podcast and many other he wrote the movie the horror movie Ma and many other things that you love.
Speaker 5: Mister Scotty landis is here with us today, right.
Speaker 2: What an honor. I'm so excited. And also, please in the future, if you need a guest seven minutes before airtime, call me. I will jumpt. Oh my god, yeah, I'm i'may get perfect.
Speaker 4: What do you think.
Speaker 2: Caroline Ray was when she would just be like, we need somebody in Caroline Ray was like, I can be there in eight minutes.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think she used to just hang out on that side lot, be outside studios. Sure, that's what I've heard about.
Speaker 1: If you're good at paneling, there's there's people, there's people, there's a whole there's algorithms that are that figure out how much people like you, and you get booked and you know it's a It is a gift. I think you would absolutely be one of those Jonathan Winter's type of drop in on Carson persons.
Speaker 4: You getting alert when there's an empty Hollywood Square.
Speaker 2: Yeah fine with me, Yeah fine with me. Me and Jim J. Bullock just high fire them.
Speaker 1: Ascotny, would you ever h in the in the noble effort to support mom and pop businesses, would you order a refrigerator from a prostination.
Speaker 2: In Saint Louis? I definitely would not. Is it a Smeg? I got to ask, is it a Smag?
Speaker 4: It isn't a Smeg. I was looking at the Smeg, but it doesn't match the wine color I painted my kitchen. This is a This is a wine colored refrigerator. It looks like Cadillac. It's a Chambers refrigerator. So I had to really seek it out. I could have gone to any one of the furniture websites, but luckily a fan of ours of our podcast on Twitter. I was griping about it because sometimes you can get results, and they went in person. They went to this place. Chris on my behalf.
Speaker 1: I've told you so many times to stop stop using social media. As a way to buy things for your apartment. Because there's the thing. This is Los Angeles gets results, It gets results that don't work. This is Los Angeles where they have to source everything in the world for entertainment all the time. This is the city where you get a wine colored old fashioned refrigerator.
Speaker 5: Literally, have you ever been to Burbank.
Speaker 1: There's streets, big, wide, empty streets of stores that do this exact thing.
Speaker 4: If I was able to hit the streets, I would have done that. I would have gone to some vintage appliance place. But I was just online, and you know they don't have the websites. They just I searched, I promised Karen. I searched the Maas stores in Los Angeles. Yes, I know I made a mistake.
Speaker 1: I should have seen the first Los Angeles then Missouri.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I also feel like you gave them a story, which I always appreciate, Like that small mom and pop has probably never shipped anything to Los Angeles, let alone their biggest product, the biggest thing. They said. But we're either on the Howimandel Prank Show? Or this guy really wants a burgundy colored.
Speaker 1: Right cost on a fucking two thousand pounds refrigerators.
Speaker 4: It was only fifty dollars and they bring it in my home and hook it up and take my old refrigerator. Do you think you'd get that kind of that home type service from some.
Speaker 5: La Yes, hollyw it comes with it. Yeah, probably it's automatic.
Speaker 4: I told them I have fifty stars going up to my apartment. That's like, oh, we don't care, we're from Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But then they want to stay at your apartment afterwards for a couple of days before they get their plane back.
Speaker 4: And they and they also have not shipped it again. They will not ship it.
Speaker 2: There you go, there, you go out of business four years ago. But I think they got.
Speaker 5: Your credit card. They got they got those numbers that they needed from you.
Speaker 4: And one of the times I called there was a chicken rooster in the background. Stop it because they're working from Hope. Yes, a loud rooster. No, yes, And I'm like, is that perhaps a rooster? Yeah, it's a rooster. Do you keep it in the house. Let's talk about this refrigerator instead. Okay, sorry I.
Speaker 5: Just literally said that. Yes, yeah, they changed the subject.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were embarrassed. Uh, the rooster was not going off at the right time of day. I think they're embarrassed that they have an afternoon rooster. Anyway, hopefully the fridge comes.
Speaker 1: Thank you, you picked the you picked the paint color, and then you made the refrigerator match the one thing that could have been any color.
Speaker 4: I could have bought any color refrigerator and painted the refrigerator with the leftover paint that I have for my kitchen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what's the theme, Chris, what's the theme of the kitchen? Is it like France?
Speaker 4: It's very it's very bestro theme where I keep my blender and coffee maker, but the rest of it is kind of farmhouse. I have Uh, I have several Speaking of roosters, I have four on the wall, one of them on a sign that says eggs as if roosters lay eggs.
Speaker 2: I know it was an ironic sign.
Speaker 4: I like it, and uh yeah, it's it's very farm farm army. Okay, yeah, I think you'd like it. When I describe it, a lot of people are like gross, like my grandma's house, that's like just come in and look at it, and they apologize.
Speaker 2: For our shared neighborhood. Chris in Echo Park not to docks us both and we're in deep trouble. But there are tons of roosters. Have you walked up Echo Park? There are tons of chickens and roosters in Echo Park on that noticeable amount. The more you go up the hill, it becomes a rooster city. Yeah, yep, yeah, they're everywhere up there.
Speaker 4: Just yard roosters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, past yardbirds. What they can do? Talk the doodle do it's great. I like it. I take a job, they chirp, I go louder. It's great.
Speaker 1: Are you are they? Do you think they're pets? Do you think people? Because you don't need a rooster to have eggs? If the people are trying to be hippies, you know, yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 4: They are just a six am alarm clop alarm clock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. They go right on through nine pm. That's they're very dedicated to the draft. And I think it's a very Latin American Hispanic community and though and a lot. There's also a great run on a street near my house where on nice days, on days that are like that classic La seventy five eighty degree day, they put their parrots and parakeets outside on the patio in cages, and so you'll walk down the street and see fifteen or twenty parakeets or parrots just just you know, just a little taste of freedom, just to see just with their.
Speaker 1: Minds and be like, all of this could be yours, but no, you're coming back into the apartment.
Speaker 2: Sky's limit, cage limit for years.
Speaker 4: I think they get loose sometimes because I'll go to Echo Park Lake and you look at that little island. A lot of people think Gilligan's Island was shot there, but I don't think so. And there will be parrots parrots in those streets. Do you ever see those those Echo Park Island parrots?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, beautiful.
Speaker 4: I feel it like Jimmy Buffett every day time I see them.
Speaker 1: You know, there's have you guys seen the documentary The Parrots of Wild Parrots to Telegraph Hill about basically people getting wild birds and then just either letting them go whatever happens, and so then there's like a flock of parrots and all kinds of wild birds that just had to band together and live in the city. They're city birds, like loose city birds. Yeah, my greatest, it is great.
Speaker 4: I just no part of me has ever wanted to have any type of bird as a pet. What are your that's right, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's cruel. Yeah, I think it's wrong.
Speaker 4: It's unusual.
Speaker 2: Bird people are the strangest pet owners. I think that the other thing is like mccau's and the big parrots live for a really long time. I don't know, let's say forty years. I don't know if i'm.
Speaker 5: I think longer.
Speaker 1: I think like eighty years. No joke, Like those great parrots. They yeah, yes, you have. You have to have a parrot in your will, and you have to have a parrot.
Speaker 5: Down your niece, your nephew who's loved one in.
Speaker 4: New York City to do some sort of banking or something, and then all of a sudden, this parrot has to be tagged and flown out to them. I think that's how they do it, if they ship them. These these birds aren't just flying. They're on their way to a younger person in the family.
Speaker 2: That's why we're always going somewhere. That's the cool thing about birds. They're always going somewhere, and plan we stop them.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I one time I used to have cats when I lived in Silver Lake, and my younger days, and I was sitting at the kitchen table one day and out of the corner of my eye, I saw this kind of like my cat jumping in the air, and I saw this kind of bright neon yellow thing, and I looked over and my cat had caught a canary, like like a little yellow, bright yellow bird, or he had an actually he was kind of playing with it. I don't know, it wasn't So I went and got the bird away from him and took it outside and put it.
Speaker 5: On the railing like near the stairs.
Speaker 1: And I couldn't tell if it was like mortally wounded or whatever, and so I just put it there and kind of stood away from it. And it took about five minutes and then it just real quick flew away like it like was stunned, I think, and it scared and freaked out and maybe thought I was going to do something. And he just was really still for a while and was like taking deep breaths, and then boom was gone. And it was the best. It made me so happy because I was like, this bird is going to die. I have to put it in a shoe box and have a whole thing in the backyard.
Speaker 4: It is it is my favorite thing that animals do is pretend, is to play possum. I love it when possums do it and they look like a rat. They have miss and missing patches of hair, they have a rat tail. But once they're pretending, you come around the corner they're on a branch and then they're like oh, and they stick their tongue out and cross their eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I love that too. And never in your life, Never in any of our lives have you have you ever regretted pretending to be asleep in your entire life. I do it for no reason. I've done it at parties when I was a teenager. I did it when I was hooking up with somebody that I realized it was a mistake and I just decided to pretend to be asleep would be a better move. A time in my entire life that I chose as an adult to pretend to be asleep. And I look back now, I'm like, right, choice, should do it more often.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 4: I am racking my brain for one of the times I regret. No, you're right, it's always a good choice.
Speaker 1: There was one where in the dorms in college before before it is. This concept is good, Scott, You're right, greatest thing we should do. It's very we should all play pasma on smile. But there I was in my in my bed in the MS and this guy came in and he.
Speaker 5: Was like, care, are you awake?
Speaker 1: And then I was just like I was just kind of laying there and I was just like I don't know, it wasn't I was just kind of like I just don't know what to do right now, Like am I supposed to be like get up and be like, hey, what's up.
Speaker 5: And make out? I've already gone to bed, Like what am I supposed to do?
Speaker 1: So I literally just like made light not overdone breathing sounds just like here you can hear that I'm deeply.
Speaker 5: Asleep, and I was completely awake.
Speaker 1: And he sat there patting me like Aaron, Karen, you're super drunk, and he did it for so long where I was literally just like dude, it's like it's not happening, and I finally left.
Speaker 4: I'm really good at it too. I even go out on a limb and take risks and pretend I have like sleep apnea or a light snore or even it's part of a dream, like, I'll play around with it because I know people will think I'm asleep. I've run away from parties, been found in a neighbor's yard by police, laid there pretended to sleep, and they're like, well, just let them sleep it off. I would have been arrested. I've got tu yeh?
Speaker 5: Is that true?
Speaker 2: Yes? Very true? I believe it.
Speaker 4: High school parties, everyone underage, I go run into a bush and sleep. There are if you talk to my friends in Montana, they can point out some of the bushes I would pretend to sleep in. When was that?
Speaker 2: No adult? Even when you're a kid and you know that weird age between like toddler and then whatever being a real kid, and like your parents would carry you in from the station wagon and like you you knew you were getting too big for mom, but dad could still get you in. But you would pretend to be asleep and you were wide awake, and then you get there and you're like kicking your kids off and you're like okay, but like that was that was the beginning of me going this is a sure shot way to get the results I need by simply laying there with my.
Speaker 5: This is a real thing. This is a real thing.
Speaker 4: My favorite place to do it. Uh, just one of those shiny red booths at a pizza parlor. I would oh, yeah, that's where I would pretend to fall asleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah you were done? Yeah.
Speaker 5: Did you just wanted to leave the pizza parlor?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Or or I think it was because I wanted to stay. And no one will make you leave if you're pretending to sleep. Always have too much pizza. Just look at them, don't we love our son? They'd say nice things about me and I pretend not to hear them, but it made me feel.
Speaker 2: Another picture, Another picture, bush light. Another picture Cherry Cooke. We're going to make a night of this. Did the pizza huts in your town have a fireplace in the middle of them? Yep?
Speaker 4: Wow, I don't, and our and w did too. I don't. It was a thing, Oh yes they did. And they had the island, the buffet island. Yeah, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Weirdly, there was a thing in the seventies in the eighties where having just an open gas bonfire in the middle of your restaurant signified going out, I guess, or something different.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was kind of like along the lines of like fern bars were popular in the seventies and then it was like the family thing of I mean, that's my childhood and that's like right. There was lots of sleeping. You're right, Chris, now that you're saying it. There was lots of sleeping in red Gnaw thee hide booths where it was just like my parents never left because we were tired.
Speaker 5: They never left because we wanted. We were bored.
Speaker 1: Like I am absolutely from the era of kids where it was like my sister and I literally we would There's an Italian restaurant called De Nuchiese that's halfway between Pudalumma and going out to Badega Bay, and we would go there for dinner. It was so dark that you would get sleepy when you walked in because you're just like, yes, this is where you're like six years old, and you're like, huh, we're just like nighttime in here. And then the parents would just party and smoke and drink and we would be We would eat like a miniestroni soup and be so bored.
Speaker 5: That we would go play with the cigarette machine.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I was I want to say that that is exactly right, yes, and I.
Speaker 1: Always we would pull those things, and I always got a pack of smokes every fucking time.
Speaker 5: My sister's like you had the magic touch.
Speaker 1: Anytime I pulled a thing on a cigarette machine, I got a pack of cigarettes.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And that was like there was no there wasn't even a gumball machine like I kids today. I know this is such an old lady thing to say, but they're so lucky, Like everywhere they go, there's candy everywhere they go. There's some consideration for kids. A game, a video game. We had to we really had to conjure it or just go to sleep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and imagine that now, just resting your face down on the plethor surface of where that day hundreds of uncles put their butt down and you just put your key.
Speaker 2: U feels good. It's cool on my gym.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a bunch like a little.
Speaker 1: There's a divid and it's warm. Maybe there's a little cotton sticking out.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where a rip and you can only assume it was caused by some terrible uncle's fart. And you would you'd laugh about that as you rested your face on it. Yeah, and pretended to sleep. The best choice, it was great. Well, they all had a little vestibule.
Speaker 2: Every restaurant in a little vestibule that was the smoking machine that had those like weird glass not things you're talking about. People out, they'd have the payphone because they had to have a payphone at some point they'd have like a few brough shores or like there. But it was always like ten degrees colder than the restaurant. It was. It was the way in. But it was like your parents would be like, here's two quarters, play two songs in the jukebox. If you were lucky, they had some weird like pac Man, and then if not, you would be like, let's go get a free matchbook from the bar. Like there was.
Speaker 1: It was just yep, maybe they'll give us Marachino cherries if we're cute and nice enough.
Speaker 2: Got oh, I got.
Speaker 1: I think Denucciess had And we had this in my old neighborhood because I used to live by the Smokehouse, which is basically from nineteen seventy five. We one time we were driving home and they had put out in front of the smokehouse. It was two like gumball machine things, but they had Spanish peanuts on one side and then the other side was just empty, and I was like, we have to take this. This is literally from like nineteen seventy three. They don't make these anymore. And the little thing that it was twenty five cents, but it was a sticker that was an acorn and then it said the price like it was this very It wasn't a brand.
Speaker 5: It was just kind of how all of those looked back then, red.
Speaker 1: On the bottom, and we took it home. It sat in our garage forever because I was like, I just need it. The Spanish peanuts were still in there. You used to be able to get a handful of peanuts with red skin on them, and that would be like a treat if you wanted them.
Speaker 5: It was like so pre anything for kids.
Speaker 4: And I don't know it. Did you have these pizza places where they just played the Three Stooges? Yes, all the That's the only reason I ever saw the Three Stooges. Yeah, I don't There would like be a tiny merry go round. I don't know if this was a Shaky's like chain, but I remember them constantly playing the Three Stooges.
Speaker 1: The one in our town. I believe it was Shaky's because we would go there after softball or if like if there was like some kind of if you won or lost or whatever, like your whole team would get to go to Shakey's.
Speaker 5: And they had this separate little room.
Speaker 1: And that's where the pac Man explosion of like nineteen eighty one or whenever that started. I watched that all develop where it was like it used to just be the place where if you had your birthday there, you you would get like pizza and then a hostess cupcake with a you know, like a handle in it. And then they would they would show three stooges and I'd be like, and sometimes they'd show cartoons, but three stooges.
Speaker 5: I would be looking.
Speaker 1: Around, like, who likes this? This is just for boys? Like this is violent and mean and weird.
Speaker 4: It's weird, and they the reason for they're fighting was there was never a good reason.
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 4: It was an obvious accident that you bumped into me while we're making this cake, and you immediately go for my eyeballs.
Speaker 6: And my brother, yeah, my brother or the guy before you that mysteriously disappeared and was replaced with a bold man. I don't know, there's a weird Pluto, uh Pluto and Grimace or never I'm forget Brutus brutus thing where all of a sudden one of the three stooges was a different guy and I even only assume it was a drinking problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's but the it's true. Restaurants used to only be for adults. I don't know if you all waited tables, but like I waited tables for years, and I felt I think I was in those magic years where the shift went to child worship, where before it was like a restaurants are for adults to go out. You're lucky to get here. Here's the kids menu. You're eating bow typasta with butter and yeah, yeah, jeez, shut up. Then I was in Brooklyn from like two thousand and four to twenty thirteen, and I was waiting tables a lot of that time. And that's when kids became empowered and being a server in places and being a server in places. They would be like, Okay, now what do you want to order? And then you'd have to sit there and the kid would pick apart, like you know, it used to be like cheeseburger and fries, and then we'd be like can I have a burger, but can I have cheese on the side? And can you substitute the froy and you and I would be like eleven tables deep in the weeds and being like, get this kid chicken nuggets.
Speaker 4: I taught him the word substitute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get this kid nuggets.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Yeah, shit, okay. I felt I always feel very bitter when I watched that kind of thing develop where it was like my friend, my sister's friend and Adrian had kids first before you know anybody, and so those are the kids that I would I watch them go through the world so differently. And her daughter, who I adore and is a wonderful adult now and grew up great. But she came over to my parents house one time when she was like four or five, and she walked up to my dad and goes.
Speaker 5: Where's your outdoor play structure? And he's like, what the hell did you just say?
Speaker 1: Like She's just like, I don't understand why I'm here and there's nothing built for me to play on. U.
Speaker 5: It was legendary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kids are littered with the confidence and uh, yes, I should be impressed, but it's it's it's I'm jealous. I think I'm jealous as an adult of the confidence of children and their sense of awareness.
Speaker 1: And yeah, even though it's a bummer at like you know, adult restaurants, it's a good thing to teach children like you don't just have to take what they give you. There, you know, there should be more one choice. You might have a preference. It's okay to want different things or whatever like that. To be raised in this kind of suck it up mentality is not good later on in life, I find. So that's another thing I'm jealous of. Is there's the health, the mental health aspect of later generations where I'm like, oh, this is what actual evolving is. Yeah, because all these people are better. Every generation is better than the last because they get a little bit more like cared about and a little bit more like, oh maybe if I'm the parent and I don't drink, I'll pay attention more and then you know, like the vibes will be better in our household or whatever.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: There was like that was a real progressive. It took people a while to realize that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, I think my dad made me shake hands with every man. Like my dad was like shake his hand, look im in the eye, shake his hand firmly, and it's paid off in life. And I've had people in Hollywood like in meetings, but give a good handshake, and I'm like, well, when I was six years old, my dadould like you shake that guy's hand. Yes. But also to the food thing, you know what your kids like, you make them the same four meals your entire childhood. So I like when parents go, he's gonna have the cheese pizza, he's gonna have the chicken fingers and fries. We're going to have two blah blah, We're gonna have two Shirley Temples if we're having a night. Yeah, because think about me, the adult who needs four dollar tips. Yeah, be true with me first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, let's prioritize this that the kids aren't because that every time it's a big decision, and then truly they never eat any of it exactly. So it's like there's a little performative parenting where it's like, now you're going to watch my child make decisions.
Speaker 5: And also we've never said the word.
Speaker 1: No to him, you know where it's definitely it has gone wrong in some way. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see a lot of because I still go to the skate park where I'm uh, not lately, but in general, I in the past few years, and that I can tell a lot of kids don't hear the word no. Yes, yeah, they must be reasoned with like adults. We are in an era of children stuff fridge and it's just happened.
Speaker 2: They can have it, they can't have it. Yeah, you know what I'm done, they can have it. Bird, I don't care. Give them cigarettes. I don't care. Yeah, I really want. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm not mad at kids. I'm mad at old people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: So it's not at everybody, not at everyone, just in general. Yeah, Scotty, you at your podcast, You guys deal with uh, weird news stories not necessarily mainstream, like what's been happening the last few days, but it doesn't fall right into that weird category. Also, how are you going to deal with that?
Speaker 2: We avoid that completely across the board. We try to be an oasis. We try to be we don't talk about politics all this they're crazy politics. We don't really talk about anything violent, anything, No as salt, no anything like that. We really try. Bananas is supposed to be an escape. H Kurt Brown Older and I did it as it's really more about taking stories that are real news stories from around the world, and we get sent literally hundreds a day at this point, which is cool because we were like, I wonder how long we can keep this going. It turns out that everything is insane at all times around the world, and it's really more about giving us launch pads for our own stories that we relate to. So a lot of the times I'll pick stories I know Kurt has a really funny story about his childhood or whatever for but yes, we avoid the chaos that bombs everybody out. A friend of ours worked for The Daily Show for like nine years, and when I was like, oh, you're leaving, He's like, I cannot wait to never watch news ever again. Right, I'm so jaded by it. And that really struck home with me because I don't really enjoy the news. I've had a hard time listening to even like NPR lately because you're like, I get it. So we don't talk about COVID, we don't talk about politics. We just try to tell funny stories. Karen was on it and it's totally the vibe. It's like we try to make each other laugh with the headlines and then we tell stories from our own life about how silly and absurd the world should be and how we should celebrate that.
Speaker 5: They're such good conversation starters.
Speaker 1: So many of those stories are just kind of like, oh, that reminds me, you know that time I was near a turtle or whatever. Where it really is stuff that it becomes because the story is so weird. You it's a story you would never even think to talk about, but you know it's the top. It's the top because I was actually this morning because I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Baby we got the baby.
Speaker 4: It ain't zoom without some barks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to send you one because I keep waking up at five point thirty. And then of course I have to check Twitter just to see if you know they've crested the.
Speaker 2: Wall or whatever.
Speaker 1: And the story from the from today that I read where the woman that posted it was like, I in intentionally fact checked this three times before I took this to social media because it seems so insane. Yes, is the guy that was in the coup got in side the senate in the building, had the taser in his pocket that was set on He reached up to steal a picture of tip O'Neil.
Speaker 5: He tased himself in the balls and died of a heart attack.
Speaker 2: And he died, yes, and that was one of the four deaths.
Speaker 1: Was that's one of the yeah, one of the five, I believe now. But and I read it, I kind of like went home. I got like like everything else. We were like I want to laugh, I want to cry. I don't know how to feel anymore. I took the picture of it, and then I was like, no, no, this is not this isn't what bananas does. And also this isn't. All we can do is like snicker to ourselves of like, oh the irony, But ultimately this is the satisfucking story there is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, but the ball's part makes it funny so we can talk about it, I know.
Speaker 1: And it's like he what was he going to do with that taser? Why did you? Who were you going to fucking tasee? It's and then you basically got you know, yeah, if.
Speaker 4: The taser was in his breast pocket and it tased him near the heart, that's just story we shouldn't tell. But the bar the ball where it's okay that we make.
Speaker 1: Life everyone we all wanted to rise above that story and then it was like, I'm sorry, I can't.
Speaker 2: I cannot also would yeah, we wouldn't cover it. But also who get like, light that guy up? That's awesome, Like because then he's gonna have to have a funeral. People are gonna have to be like, what did what did he like? He liked art, He likes keeping electronics in his pockets, said, very very susceptible nerds, moron. Yeah, he loved parent. Yeah, yeah, that that guy. I know. There was another one and the other one that came out today that people did send us and I'm like, we don't really do this was one of the people that was killed and during the stupid coup attempt was a woman carrying a don't trettle meat flag that got transplated to death. Yeah, so you go, the irony is deep. Sure, so don't show up. Yeah you hadn't to be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you just have to wait a couple of weeks before you tweet a picture of her and everything. That's right because the irony I mean.
Speaker 1: That well, and most people, I feel like there's been such that kind of facts. Don't care about your feelings and liberal tears and all that. These these harsh stances that have been taken for four years that when this stuff comes up, it really is like, no, no, we have to go higher and we have to take the higher ground or whatever.
Speaker 5: But then you're just like, but we didn't do it. We didn't fucking we didn't. We didn't set it up.
Speaker 1: How about you keep the safety on in any weapon, any weapon, keep it on until you get right up to the fucking the governmental servant that you're trying to kill. What do you what was that fucking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were right right on the other side of the glass, scared congressional people.
Speaker 2: Jesus, I don't care. You know, you know how you don't trip, make a trimple on, don't hold a flag with both hands, just you know, run around the arms out well, bounced like the flying wall end does, and you're good to go.
Speaker 1: Yes, Or how about you don't get out of the scrum. If you've never been like in a mosh pit, maybe don't be there.
Speaker 5: Don't try to run in first like.
Speaker 2: I'm popular. Not today.
Speaker 4: No, here's the weird thing. A lot of those people there, I think had been in mosh pits. They had a mosh pit look to them, there was a.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I know was uh because I haven't seen MA but I just watched the trailer because I do a lot of research before guest comes on.
Speaker 2: Then you've seen it. It's back on HBO Max, which I'm so pumped on, Like it goes back and I'm like some messages.
Speaker 1: Also, there's a lot of mommy I see a mommymes too.
Speaker 4: They're hilarious because of the means. But that seems that seems to me like a story from your life for something, like because that so specific, someone that would for you, that would provide a place to party end up being a weirdo?
Speaker 2: How much of.
Speaker 4: That was true?
Speaker 2: It's two people, it is. That is I think why Blumhouse made it is because all of us that grew up in not a major city, and I don't know if they do in cities, but so many of us had to go and play hey mister yeah to some extent, and in most towns it was like a dude. But I thought it would be more interesting if it was a woman that was kind of on the fringes, the kind of person you wouldn't see in a grocery store. Sure, somebody like when you look at your high school yearbook. You're like, oh right, yeah, So I thought that that was the perfect murderer because you they slept through the cracks and you trust him in a weird way. And then there were two people in my hometown. I'm from a reister's Town, Maryland, which is a smaller town near the Sticks. There was one party I went to where this dude. My friends were like, hey, this guy bought us beer and I was like, ooh, he's like, I don't know this guy, Jimmy, and we drove out to middle of nowhere and it was the house. So it was supposed to be a house that kind of moss based on It was just like a rental piece of shit house. And we walked around back, my best friend and I and the girl I was dating, who was only fifteen at the time. I was sixteen. Okay, good, I'm not a great follow up question. I was a youth ful six I was a short sixteen balder to toe and I walked in the I had a piece of overcome it. It's one of the great joys of my adult life. So we step into the cinderblock, dirt floor basement. Eminem's first album came out. It's blasting half. My soccer team is wrapping eminem lyrics at me. It's full of weed smoke and cigarette smoke. And I see my fifteen year old girlfriend smoking a cigarette with this like he was probably twenty five, but he felt like he was thirty or forty. He felt older, and he's wearing like Fubu had to tee like it's a white guy, like a mess. Just you're like here it is riff Rapp is smoking cigarettes with my girlfriend and she sees me and gets really nervous because she she didn't know I was coming or whatever. There was a miscommunication there, and my fear at that exact moment was that guy was going to figure out that I was dating her and he was going to beat me up in front of everybody. A grown man. Yeah, And so I left with my friend. I didn't like run out the door, but I was like said, hey, everybody said like I was mad at her, like that those teenage fights where it's like what are you doing? Why are you here? I thought you were reading doing puzzles with Danielle. But so I left. But that fear of getting beat up stuck with me because it was an adult and nobody would have known what to do, and what if he pulled out a gun. Yea one was a rich Yeah you're in a strange basement.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're sixteen. You're just trying to be popular. You don't want to make any mistakes. People are like loser. And then around the same time, another friend of mine had a really wealthy aunt and every time her husband would go on these business ships or whatever it was, into sales or whatever, she would let us party in her basement. Finished basement, pool tables, heavy punching bag, air hockey, the worst I remember, like a bar yeah, like you know, like all a finish, like a downcers bathroom. Yeah, all these things where they were stand on this. They were Jewish.
Speaker 4: Actually, religious families have those basements. Successful. It was religious families.
Speaker 2: Yeah, huge and like really way more wealthy than I was growing up. And she would stand on the stairs and it would be like, I don't know, ten girls, ten guys, all of us sixteen ish, and she would just hold court and just watch and she would flirt with the girls. She'd be like love your butt, oh girl, Like I remember when I had that figure. And then she was to the guys, she'd be like John, you better call me when you turn eighteen. And so I kind of combined the fear of Jimmy murdering me with this mom flirting with everybody and created Sue and the mock character. And then I took it to what if she hated everybody and wanted to kill them? But yeah, that's for popularity was my pitch. And when I said that to Bluemouse, they were like, we'll buy it.
Speaker 5: So I just feel like the log line, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, But it was like the goal of horror movies is to if you can leave, it's not scary, right, Like if you can drive away from the monster, it's not scary. If you can outrun it, it's not scary. So I was just thinking about things that would pin normal people in place, and I was like, to be unpopular will trap any teenager to not leave a situation they know they should leave.
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: And I think, to my favorite murder fuck politeness, that's exactly it. Like when you're an adult, you can say that, but when you're fifteen and you just want the ceboy to like you, you will go through hell. Yes, that's great people.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so you'll do what it takes because you got hurt, people will hurt you. Like it's every man for himself.
Speaker 4: That's so true.
Speaker 2: Promise. That was the theme of MA was if you test popularity, she'll win.
Speaker 4: So back to this poor fifteen year old girl when you left with all your friends. Was she just there with the fou bou guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's they've never found her. I knew if I did some investigation. Oh yes, it's scary. No, it was funny because she's a you know, she's a nice woman. Now she has of course, and she she's a great person. But it was like she was trying to fit in with an older guy too. It was the whole mix. Adults and children should not hang out. It's like there's a point where when people are like I call my mom every day, I'm like, this is a huge problem.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, that used to be a joke in my act is.
Speaker 1: I said, mom, you're my best friend, and she goes, well, you're not my best friend. And that really happened. And the only reason I said it to my mom I heard. I saw my friend and her mom and they were doing something where like they were sharing a shirt or there was some weird thing where I watched other people do it, and I'm like, oh, this is this is like another way to be popular, be really like besties and your mom being cool and your age. And my mom's just like I have plenty of my own friends.
Speaker 5: Like it was. It was so alarm but I'm like she in that way.
Speaker 1: She was just like, yeah, have your vision go a little further than this weird local version of what you think cool is like you don't. No, one should be best friends with their mom.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I was always made nervous by those house parties where the parent is there and they're the ones that bought the keg, even when I was a kid, I promise you I thought that was so bizarre and not healthy. They're going to hang out your mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah she's cool.
Speaker 5: I don't know if she's well.
Speaker 1: And also it's so uncomfortable because it's like, well, so now I'm I'm just trying to get drunk on wine coolers and like have like my teenage golden years. And now all I can think of is what's going on in this family? How do you do you guys eat dinner in some weird way?
Speaker 2: Do you like?
Speaker 1: What other lines are you guys? Crossing, because this is the kind of thing where we should all be hiding in the garage, but your mom wants to hang out with us.
Speaker 5: That's not good.
Speaker 2: It's more fun to be discreet. It's more fun to be cleared, like yes, sneaking a beer when the weed became legal in LA. I don't really even smoke weed. I'm not like a weed got but like it was so fun to be like, we have to meet somebody in a kmart parking lot. He drives a challenger, but listen, he doesn't take twenties and he takes singles, so you have to give him thirty four singles. And like that was the adventure of bad behavior. Was so fun. And those parents that are creeps want to hang out. They're they're gonna do it somewhere. Might as well do it while I'm wearing a tight shirt. You're like the tight shirt. Yeah, you get an arm wrestle.
Speaker 1: No you're no, No, we're trying to talk about home room, you fucking weirdo.
Speaker 2: I yes, I don't understand my body. Why are you trying to arm wrestle.
Speaker 4: I'm still growing. I just got over alopecia.
Speaker 2: I'm like Elton John I'm just gonna get more hairs, like, Oh, I don't know what's happening. Yeah, that is.
Speaker 4: You're right though, that being in a basement is I didn't realize that was. That was a unknown horror movie thing. Is that you there has to be no way out.
Speaker 2: That's the main thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the main thing I brought. I had two friends in college. Uh they girlfriends that, uh, we're just friends. And we went to some house and they wanted to get weed from this guy. And he was older, but he was still he was just out of college and me. We went to his basement. There was a log in the basement with a hatchet in it. Great, just in a cement basement, and then off.
Speaker 5: In the hockey mask right next to it, and.
Speaker 4: He had a big beard. We all knew who he was though, and these two were friends with him, and they smoked out of a big bong and immediately fell asleep. And then I'm with this guy and then that's when he decided to tell me that he hates me. He's hated me for a long time because I was break dancing while he was playing pool and I messed up and I owed him twenty dollars because there's money on this game, and he would start and I was high and paranoid already, and I got really scared, and I went upstairs and again it's I pretended to be asleep on the couch.
Speaker 2: Best decision made.
Speaker 4: Yeah. His roommate came home and he knew me from the bars, but he's like, oh, that funny guy. I like him. And then the guy, the bearded guy in the basement, is like, I hate him, and I'm gonna show you how much I hate him. And he ran across the living room and did, like a superfly, snook an elbow into my back because my face and I turned it and he was on me. So I picked him up like a baby and I tossed him onto this lamp. Anyway, we made this ruckus and the police came and knobs on the door. Yeah, yeah, because we are making noise. And I said, there, two of my friends are asleep in the basement. He has weed, and I left. I did not have to stick around. I think that guy probably got in a lot of trouble because there. This is when weed was very I totally screwed that guy and he deserved it, so yes, I forgot. It is a story about how you should pretend to fall asleep on the couch always.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, you could have written, mall you had this experience. He just it would have been should have been a hatchet murder. But that's it's that fear of like the fear of adults when you're a teenager. It should be in there. The kids that arener, the teenagers that aren't afraid of adults, those are the ones that scared the shit out of you in high school. Like there's this kid named Joey Latch. I'm I rest in peace Joey Latch, I think. But he would be like, you want me to go beat that guy up? And all the skaters would be like yeah, and they would just run over and beat some pedestrian up. And I remember being more afraid of him than I've ever been of anything in my entire life. But he was on your side, no rules rules, Oh yeah, he thought it was the funniest. He was like, Scottie, whatever you want, like, just pointed to somebody to I'll punch him in the face, and I'd be like, haha, cool, I'll definitely do that, and then just wet my pants and throve home in a Toyota Corolla. Was I was like you.
Speaker 4: All my friends were tough, and there was always a guy that wanted to fight. All my friends had been in fights, but fights scared the hell out of me, and I was so scared that I was going to get beat up all the time, and it it dictated what I would do just to.
Speaker 1: I love a good fight. I mean I don't want to do it. I want I want to watch other people do it. I want to watch some loud mouth get clocked by someone who's quiet and noble and like, you know what, I've had enough of you.
Speaker 5: That's my favorite situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wish it was always that way. Usually it's just for no reason, and it's a nice person getting beat up.
Speaker 5: Usually it's drunk people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then and then it's just kind of some weird like and you can't reason with them, and everyone's kind of bleary eyed and not really punching very accurately.
Speaker 4: That's the average.
Speaker 2: In the South, they might have had them where they had tough man competitions. Do you guys know what those are?
Speaker 4: Is that when the Christian Power Team comes to your high school and rips a phone book, in half. It's different. Fun tough Man is three rounds of boxing. I think it's three rounds.
Speaker 2: They would set them up in the back of bars and stuff, and then they kind of did it with loose weight classes, but basically it was amateur boxing in the back of bars, and they had these big yellow gloves, and I mean they were everywhere. This was pre fight glove. This was just like people are going to fight. And I saw one in Pensacola at this place called Big Daddy's Lounge, and they were like they were like, you know, they'd be like, okay, one hundred and fifty pounds and then these two rednecks will go beat the hell of each other. But it's only for six minutes. And so this one guy gets up there and he's like, I was Golden Gloves nineteen ninety two and I'm gonna whoop this boy's eyes. And I'm like, oh, this is gonna be gnarley. And then he gets the shit kicked out of him. But then he got punched in the shoulder and it dislocated his shoulder, which I didn't know could happen. So this guy who threatened this other guy has a dislocated shoulder. His brother's like waving a white napkin like a white towel to say the fight's over. So then the guy stands next to me and I'm like, he's probably forty five, everybody else is in their early twenties. And his brother's like, we're got to pop your shoulder back in, and he's like, uh yeah. And then the next act up was like local wrestling, and so they're smashing plastic chairs across each other's backs and one of the legs flies off and hits the disco kid's shoulder guy in the forehead, and so he starts bleeding down his forehead from a broken chair, and I was, yeah, this guy was like, you should never enter a tough man competition again. And then and then you just drink and then it's over, and then there's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love gold because Golden Gloves is like kids. That's like he was claiming to be. That's like if you are around a bunch of military guys and yelled that you were a cub scout, it's like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 4: Isn't Golden Gloves for young people?
Speaker 2: It's a little no. It's more like it is for younger people, but it is sort of like if somebody's a golden gloves boxer, that means they actually did like practice boxing, right, they know how to box. Yeah, But he was just a drunk and he said that to intimidate the guy and then gets punched in the shoulder and then hit in the face with a flying chair leg, and I was like, why is this that's the entertainment this guy? Yes, board, I love that guy. I'm sure he's still alive. I'm sure he's healthy.
Speaker 4: He just says love.
Speaker 1: Those are the people actually, I think of when I was getting in the beginning of COVID quarantine, when I was getting mad at people that were still going places and pretending yes. But then I thought of those people who truly live in bars, like they don't, you know, whatever they do during the day, their life begins when the sun goes down and they're sitting in a bar, and then whatever happens happens. And that is And I used to be kind of of that world a little bit and really loved it. But there are people who that is the world, and then suddenly it's just like no, sorry, it's all closed. You have to stay home.
Speaker 4: Like it.
Speaker 1: Enabled me to access a little bit of the compassion where I'm like, oh, that's right, Like if you're like thirty eight and you really love drinking and you really love like dive bar culture, and like literally just like you could be standing there in your corduroy blazer and just suddenly someone punches you in the face and you don't know why, you know what I mean, and then you find out later. It's like, you know, stuff that happens at the smog cutter, you know what I versus like all that just had it just was suspended and no one you could be so into it and living for it and then you just didn't get to do it anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, oddly about that that also applies to stand up comedy, I realized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: When my day would begin, was when I'd go do stand up in some bar. I would love to see a picture of me, to see how much healthier I looked if I never did stand up, if I just had focused on illustration and drawing and never became a bar performer, because that's really what comedians are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you were drawn to it. You were drawn to it. There's something about that that I missed. The energy I don't miss drinking at bars. I missed the energy of bars. I miss like that feeling of like it fills up and people come in and you go to another one and it's like, oh, there is something in those great shows, especially when you're stand up. I never did stand up, but all my friends were stand ups, and they're like, will you come out to so and so? And it'd be snowing and I'd go to some dumb bar and there be four of us and two of the people hate the comics, one of the people's the host, and then it's me. You are the audience. I was the audience, and then all four comics I would get to meet because they were like, hey, it's my friend Scotti and they're like and I be like, you were really funny, and you could tell it meant something to the comics. And those empty bars where it was like Telly and they would be like, are you a comic and you'd be like no, and then it meant something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're not kissing up, you're not trying to get in or like somehow meet someone. Those are the shows too. I mean I haven't done in a sincere way. I haven't done stand up for so long, but when I really did do it all the time, when I would show up at one of those shows and there's you know, there's nine people booked on the show and there's six people in the audience. Everyone else will be so bummed and like, hey, try to go out in the street and whatever. But I would be sitting the back like I'm gonna be so fucking funny tonight because this is I saved it for when almost no one was watching, and something in me that is so there's I'm such a contentious, like rebellious whatever.
Speaker 5: Where on big shows and shows where.
Speaker 1: The audience is huge, I will walk out and say the shittiest thing to the audience, make them hate me, and then and then to have a mediocre set for you know, eleven minutes. But in those shows where it's just kind of like not much is going on and there's no one there, I'm just like, well, get ready to channel g just be like no one's gonna know, doesn't matter, no one's going to know. It's my favorite, Yeah, my favorite.
Speaker 4: I like doing that as well. I like small audiences, no pressure, and so you just decide to be a genius that night, yeah, and.
Speaker 5: Do like almost like that's what I would really do.
Speaker 1: Normally, I can't do crowd work because I would get nervous and nervous energy and me turns into anger, which of course is not pleasant. But so if I try to do crowd work, it's just me being like, oh, really good job or whatever. It's like so unpleasant, which especially in like the post nineties comedy no one wanted that shit at all. But when no one was there, I would actually genuinely just be like I could do crowd work. I could do all those things that normally I would just have too much tension to do. I would would say to myself as it was happening, I would just like, do this normally, remember this feeling or whatever. But it's like no, it's those it's always situational, and especially on the nights were like everybody's you start, like the comic that goes before you affects your set, and vice versa all the way down, like those are the shows.
Speaker 5: Those are the.
Speaker 1: Best when everyone's kind of like everybody's pointing to everybody else going they talked about this now it reminded me of this joke type of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yes, I miss.
Speaker 4: That, Yeah, it's like it's like being at a party.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's also you get to dominate.
Speaker 2: The safety if they don't know you, Like there's this in a big crowd. You feel like people check the line up. You feel like when a sou Largo show, you're like, who's on, like Sarah Silverman and you're like, oh shit, and people are like, but those bar shows where some of the people just were at that bar that night and they're like, we let's stick around, say if it's funny. It's so fun because you feel like you're an Antarctica or something. You feel like you're aliens together. There was I did do stand up in college, and I did a show in Northampton, Massachusetts, and it was a snowy night and it was literally just sign up and you can do two minutes or three minutes or whatever. And the first guy goes up was the host and he wasn't funny at all, and you felt like, well, I'm glad you just tried to get a show going here a snowy night, maybe ten people in the bar. Then somebody else goes up. He was okay, but just used other people's jokes. I did my stuff, did fine, and then The headliner was a guy that had done it once before, and his entire act he goes, I'm going to do Arnold Schwarzenegger playing tennis with Sylvester stillone, and he goes for three minutes, we were crying. The entire bar was just glad it was over. He had a concept, the premise was there, and he was kind of good at doing Schortzenegger and Slanslay tennis and he just did four arm and I was like, you know what, I'm a writer like this guy. Something else. Yeah, you want to see that.
Speaker 4: I mean at the time, did you, Scotty did you are you familiar or do you know about your biography on IMDb? Or did you write it? Or do you know what I'm talking about? Because it's absolutely hilarious.
Speaker 2: I wrote a really I might have written it, but it's been a very long time, but it might somebody else might have gone. I don't know really how that stuff works. Do you mind say? Do you leta's read it? I either of you? Okay?
Speaker 4: Scott Landis is from Oh God, I need glasses. It doesn't say that. Yeah, reisters down Maryland. He attended the University of Massachusetts and currently resides in Los Angeles. In recent years, Scotty and Kurt Bronelder have jet skied from Lake Michigan to New Orleans, driven a giant double sided butt from Los Angeles to New York City to moon the entire country, and gave h Chicken a hot air balloon ride over Wine Country. That's your professional, I wrote, law and we're colics that that is. That is your bio. That's your professional and I love this. I love it very much.
Speaker 2: I did write that. Yes, that is mine, and that is all true, not any word of that is that is I'm very fact based when it comes that stuff. I hate exaggerations and I hate people that like can flight what they've done. So I wrote three things that Kurt and I literally have done. Yeah, and we did do all that.
Speaker 4: I did not doubt a word of it. That's the way it's. It's very factually written. And I appreciate. I appreciate your work, is what I want to say.
Speaker 1: Can I ask it being from near Wine Country, did that Chicken appreciate that hot air balloon ride?
Speaker 2: No, it did not. So we were in Temecula. Our original plan was to give a flightless bird the gift of flight and restore dignity to dignity to a bird. So we went to come Central and we said we would like to fly a penguin in a blimp to Alaska. Now there's some logistical issues. One is, blimps at maximum speed travel about sixteen miles an hour, so it would have taken us about a year and a half to get there. Right, there's all and we've had land many times. They were like no. And then we were like, well, can we take an alligator on a zero G jet and speed up evolution by making a dinosaur flying outer space? And they said no because it costs two hundred and fifty thousand dollars to go on the zero G plane. It's a seven forty seven that goes up and then goes down. And our idea was that we were going to release an alligator and Kurt into zero gravity at the same time and just see if we could speed up evolution. And they said no. And then we said, well, what if we take a chicken on a hundred balloon? And they said, yeah, we can do that, So we got one called snowball. We went to a chicken farm Intomecula, and we knew the hot air balloon. I guess down there in the vineyards they a lot of them have hot air balloons. And we stood there and grated chickens and for personality, for bravery, you know, we wanted a courageous one, and we picked one called Snowball and Snowball. The reason we picked is because every time we would say Snowball would walk towards us. So that was the credentials.
Speaker 4: That's chicken.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we brought Snowball on a friend in a cage the next day and Kurt had our top gun and a friend so he wouldn't get scared, she wouldn't get scared. And as they're inflating the balloon, we had to shoot a little bit of the setup where Kirk goes, I'm carpeler and I'm going to tell I'm going to restore the gift of flight to a flight the spurd. This is Snowball, and he's wearing a top gun one jumpsuit, of course, and Snowball instantly shits on him like by like like so much like Team American World Police level of fluid, and.
Speaker 4: Which I guess is kind of brave for a chicken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, camera, sure, that's brave. That's a brave hurt. And then when we got up there hotter balloons. Have you guys ever been in a hotter balloon?
Speaker 4: I've never desired.
Speaker 5: It's my dream. I want to I.
Speaker 2: Oh, all, Karen, I'll do it. We can do it. Let's do I would love to enjoyable.
Speaker 5: When quarantine's officially over.
Speaker 2: Yes, they rise really really fast, and they're besides, when they're revving the giant you know, flamethrower above your head that sounds like an earthquake. Once that's off, it's silent, and so they're go, you guys ready, and Kurt's holding this chicken and then it goes from probably one hundred feet to two hundred feet in maybe like five seconds, and then he goes, how, how do you guys want to go? We're like, well, what's normal? He's like two thousand feet and we're like okay. He goes, well, why don't we start at one thousand and see how the chicken does? And then I have all these beautiful photos are just Curt in this chicken, just staring out at the sunrise, because you do it in the morning when it's not windy. And then he goes, you guys, want me to touch that grape vine. We're like what. He goes, I can lower the basket and just brush the top of that grape vine on top of a hill. So he switches, he stops gassing it, and the wind takes us and we just brush the top of a grape vine. And then he goes, what's your name again? I goes Scottie. He goes, and we have two camera guys because you're shooting on actual video, And he goes, do you feel comfortable jumping out of this? And I was like, what do you mean. He goes, well, you can't really land a hot air balloon. You just have to crash a hot air balloon. He's like, our team's going to be there, but we need somebody if we go into the field to jump out and then grab one of the ropes. And Kurt was like, do you feel comfortable? I was like, of course. I was like, versus what.
Speaker 4: That's how they always do it. Someone has to jump out and grab a rope.
Speaker 5: Also, they ask you while you're in the air. They don't ask you before.
Speaker 4: I guess. Yeah. You see those big wicker baskets, they never have wheels on them.
Speaker 5: Noone's ropes.
Speaker 2: So they have a team that pulls up to the closest road. They kind of know the cornfield they're gonna or the soybean field they're going to crash into, but then they don't know exactly where it is because there's no steering. And so I was like okay, and then he's like, wait for it. And so we're getting close and you're coming down like you're sailing, and he goes now, So I jumped and rolled and then grabbed the closest rope and then his team comes running. I mean, it doesn't drag you. It's once you get it, you get it. But it was like, oh yeah, this is if you think of the luxury of it. If you think of like we're gonna go in a romantic sunrise and then somebody at the end of that thing, unless they bring their first mate with them, is diving out of that in a soybean field and then getting rope burn on their hands and then going to Denny. It's like it was it was great. I would do it again in a heartbeat. And then they take you to the vineyard at nine am and you just start drinking wine and we're not winder so we're just drinking white wine like it's going out of style. Best day of my life.
Speaker 1: I never see it was my dream to do it until I heard that part where.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, yeah, I'll jump.
Speaker 4: I just don't like being not at all in control, and it's it seems like you even said you can't even steer the thing. You're just being taken out of your control by a balloon with that fire above your head. I don't like that part either. No, that's that's a Hindenburgh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I think they know the general direction. Also, Wine Country was funny because it's you know, houses are very far apart, or the vineyards are very far apart, but because you're in southern California. I remember vividly flying over a house that had a halfpipe and a bunch of balls and a Monster Energy drink symbol painted in the middle of there's something wow, like you can never get away. But I think it was like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, if it's to Mecula, Yeah it was any one of the uh metal Malitia. Yeah, that guy has punched me in the stomach twice without me I'm like, that's how Houdini died. Those guys are lunatics, makes sense. I used to pix down that whole monster energy drink world and I don't miss it often. No, God, that is what what Snowball's friend happy to see was the chicken. I want to just imagine the chicken waiting for his friend and then being happy to see that he's landed safely.
Speaker 2: Totally happy. No chicken got injured at all. Yeah, like, did not crap on Kurt again during the flag. Yeah. Yeah, I have some beautiful photos of them really just bonding as two creatures on the same planet at the same time they Snowball was restored. We took them back to the chicken farm. In Snowball's mind, nothing happened. Yeah, Snowballs maybe didn't know you were flying, not a clue. Snowball was just just blended right back in and did what chickens.
Speaker 1: Do because that's why chickens. Chickens don't fly, because they don't appreciate what they have when they're up there. Yeah. God was like, forget it. You're ungrateful and you're not smart. You don't get to.
Speaker 4: The gift of flight was taken away by the Lord because they the Lord Jesus Christ.
Speaker 5: This is my quick Christian corner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so we hope you don't mind right.
Speaker 5: It's sorry, Scott, I forgot to tell you.
Speaker 2: I love that. Yeah, the chicken did mind it. The chicken was a seven foot man that can't slam dunk, and it was just like I probably could if I tried, but you know, I'm just gonna stay right all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, forget it.
Speaker 4: I would love to see those photos if we could get them, that would be great also, So I'm sure, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: This has been a wonderful chunk of the time.
Speaker 5: Gone, I know this this very quick.
Speaker 4: That's always that's the sign of a good episode. Did you know that when you don't really.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Did you know that, Karen?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when it flies by due to fun.
Speaker 1: Dude, to fun, like a hot air balloon out of control.
Speaker 4: Why would you want to kiss the tops of a vineyard with the basket? That sounds dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't know what we were getting into. We just said yet at that point you just said yes, you said like, should we go into the sun. I'd be like, eraser, there, Bud, let's do this.
Speaker 5: Have you waited really quick?
Speaker 1: Have you guys gone on soaring over California at California Adventure at Disneyland, because there's a ride where you actually do that. It's the best ride. It's the best ride of any ride ever. And you're basically kind of in this you know, like a long thing. It's almost like a baskety chair thing, and you they basically on an Imax screen. They fly you up and into this huge screen that actually curves around you. So when you go into it, it starts and I think you're flying over the Golden Gate Bridge and it really feels like you personally are flying over it. And then it takes you in all these places and when you fly over a vineyards you can smell grapes. Oh wow, like they do kind of sense. It's the it's my favorite ride. And they I think they now it's flying over the world, so you you're going over other places.
Speaker 5: But the California one is really gorgeous. It's really good.
Speaker 4: I love that sensory stuff they do, like on the Honey I Shrunk the kids experience when the dog would sneeze and water would spray from the seat in front of you and your yes, it's like, oh, it's real, dog's alive.
Speaker 2: What an experience.
Speaker 3: Her bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well scot do you have anything else just to plug besides bananas?
Speaker 2: Uh, We're doing a live bananas on February six, called the Bananas Bonanza. You can go to Bananas Live dot com and it's gonna be Kurt and I doing basically a full version of the show as if we could tour it, but just us in his garage during the best we can do during the great quarantine. But that should be really fun. And other than that, No, thank you so much for having me. This was the most I've felt like I was hanging out with friends in a bar since this started. So thanks. I really appreciate it. A fun chat. It's funny.
Speaker 4: I put on socks that matched my shoes for this, thank you, because yeah, I anticipated it's feeling like going somewhere. I got dressed.
Speaker 1: Adida socks, Adida shoes or same color like you.
Speaker 5: You're the paint in your kitchen and your refrigerator.
Speaker 4: They're purple vans and the socks have a little purple in them. That's all.
Speaker 5: Don't be afraid to lift your leg up and show it right on the zoom.
Speaker 4: It's hard to get it into the camera.
Speaker 5: You can do it. You can stay.
Speaker 2: They're half cabs. They're half cab cabs better.
Speaker 4: They're so comfortable. I just pulled my groin. I knew it would happen. I'm in terrible shape. It's hard to get your stick.
Speaker 2: Stick it in your new fridge. You'll be fin it's on.
Speaker 4: The way just four more weeks. Meanwhile, I can't have any perishables. I don't have a refrigerator. That's well.
Speaker 5: You had to support moms and pops, didn't you.
Speaker 4: Gods they weren't even that good. Well, and thank you for me as well, Scottie Karen said, thank you, And so I wanted to say thank you for being on this episode.
Speaker 2: Pleasure is mine And if you need a last two minute guest, just text me and I'll just come on unprepared and I'll be ready to rumble.
Speaker 4: And we'll probably take you up on that. So thank you, thank you, definitely well you've been listening to Do you need a ride? D y n? Hey?
Speaker 3: Are I you want way bad either? There does matter how much baggage you claim. Give us time and a Turmanol and gay.
Speaker 1: We want to send you off in style. Do you want to welcome you back home? Tell us all about ity scared he was it fine?
Speaker 3: Malcorn?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 6: To ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need.
Speaker 4: With Karen and Chris
Speaker 1: Four