Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: What a good morning to you, Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio. iHeartRadio app it's a Friday. I just want you to know, like, I know we're not gaming the system here Jay stew but I feel like we're gaming the system right see the beauty to and that we're broadcasting live from our palatial studios in southern California from the tyraq dot com studios, the official tire expert and retailer of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to tyret dot com size Dan try the Tired Decision Guy to see a full line of Yokohama tires special offers. Free Road has a protection mobile tire installation tyrat dot com. The way tire buying should be. I'm gonna give you a couple of little personal thing here guys for my guys at tyraq because they're awesome. So I have my car, had a little air conditioning issue with my car. So upon doing the whole inspection of the car, they're like, hey, we want to replace your tires. It's like why, Like, well, you know your tire sensors aren't working because the rims that you have. It's like no, no, no, no, I got my tires from ti Raq. I just I have no connection with Continental. I just know that I've had this set of Continentals previously and they lasted like fifty thousand miles, which on my car and the way I drive is unheard of. So until further notice, I'm a Continental tire. I'm a Cottonaal tire anyway. And then they told me how much it costs, Like, no Ah, only get my tires from Tiraq because they're literally half the price of what you were trying to charge me.
Speaker 3: I can.
Speaker 2: I can make do with not having the guide telling me I got a flat tire. I know what a flat tire sounds and feels like. I've lived, you know, however, many years, thirty plus years as a driver, not needing that tire gauge in the car? Some good?
Speaker 3: Do you think there's training for those shops. This is how you're gonna try to get to add on the service. I worked at retail and college and the mall, and that was always the big one. Try to get the multiple the multiple places.
Speaker 2: Hold on, what where? Come on?
Speaker 3: Give what you did? Open the door?
Speaker 2: He the door didn't he? Where'd you are.
Speaker 3: East Town Mall, Madison, Wisconsin, Champs Sporting Goods. I love Champs.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, Peter Champs, right, Champs has gone right there? No, I think they're still around. Yeah, maybe there's like foot Action, foot locker, Champs, what else? They all like morphed and then like you're East the East Bay, another Wisconsin company all kind of morphed into that. Now man, now Champs, you have to wear that.
Speaker 3: You have to wear that.
Speaker 2: What was the polo? Just Polo and Khaki's is cool. What was the discount? That's here's the big question.
Speaker 3: I think it was fifteen percent.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Yes, still good enough for me. The Poilo story was you buy a pair of shoes, I need you to walk away with either some shoe protecting or some socks. Definitely, that was like that was the main thing. So when your take your car into these shops, that to your point, like you're like, I'll just trust tirec thinking.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you brought that up. So I'm driving with my son yesterday and he's like all he wanted to do is connect his phone to the car to the OX to play Uh. He loves rap. So I'm like, hey, dude, turn that off real quick. Let me just explain this is what they try and do to you. No matter, it doesn't matter, the car company doesn't matter. They're going to try these little add ons like you gotta. No, I don't want I have a I have a place where I get tires. I don't need tires. You're just trying to get me to get new tires because I need some tire guy Like, no, don't need it, like they'll they'll try and get you. Make sure you see read through the estimate before you do so. So I also I did want to say this in regards to Mark Pope. So the new head coach of Kentucky is gonna be Mark Pope, and apparently, like Kentucky fans are not happy about it. Like we went from like Dan Hurley and Billy Donovan and uh maybe getting Scot Drew to Mark Pope, who's one of their own but hasn't had some long illustrious head coaching career. Can I let you in on a secret you're getting closer doesn't matter anymore, Location doesn't matter, History doesn't matter. Do you want to know what matters? Money? Okay? And it's it's basically a free market, and if the donors will supply him with nil, which is buying players, then you'll be fine. Can he coach? Yeah, like, well he has had a great recruiting class. Well, guess what now he's got a bunch of money and he's got Kentucky. So that goes out the window. Right. Unless you have money, you have no chance in the SEC. And you're gonna see players flocked to the SEC. They have better players than the rest of the leagues. You know why, because they have the most money and they spend the most money. That's it anyway, So you can be you your happiness doesn't really matter. It's the five or six guys that are gonna they're gonna give the capital, and as long as they keep giving money, you'll keep getting players. And the second that they stop giving money, you don't get the players. That's what happened at Arkansas where Eric Musselman had been there. They went to two Elite eights, and then they had a disappointing season, and then whatever happened, the money people were like, we're not giving money if he's the coach, and then you can't have a team. So then he goes to USC and they're like, we'll give it money. And they're bringing John cal Perry and we'll give them money. Did you see the press conference for Arkansas? They actually introduced Johnny Tyson, who's who runs Tyson Chicken and Tyson Foods, actually introduced the booster, like, hey, the guy who's responsible for it. We didn't do god anymore, not the president, right, not the ad. Let's just cut through it. Okay, none of this happens if not for your money. So Johnny wants to stand up and you're essentially the facto owner of this whole thing, why don't you stand up and take about I love it too, Like I I love it when the name is I mean it's his where it's not like, hey, this is a David McHenry, you know, the head of Tyson, Like when you're the Tyson of Tyson. It's it's magnificent, it is. It's really it's really such a power play, it really is. Yeah, let's all have some Tyson Chicken and there's Johnny Tyson. This is the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. So I I've heard this from a couple of people, not a ton of people, but the whole reaction to OJ Simpson and Dying O J. Simpson Die and uh Shannon Sharp, who of course has a podcast called uh uh is it the Last Call?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: This is on Last Call? Or no called Nightcap? Do I know it's Nightcap? This is a great I don't think I've touched you guys. This So the genius behind Colin Cowherd's I say genius. I'm not being sarcastic. I think he's a brilliant dude. His name's Logan Sway. So Logan is one of the guys who runs things for Colin Cowherd's Volume podcast network and Colin's podcast has network has Shannon Sharp and uh Shiadow, josinco Right, Chad John's and their show is called Nightcap. Well, Nightcap was the name we wanted to have for my TV show with Ali LaForce. Logan was my producer, and they changed it to leadoff It's the show at night, but it was going to lead off the next day like it's kind of a baseball analogy. But anyway, I always like Nightcap. So this was Shannon Sharp who was reacting to He's reacting to, Uh, oh you don't we don't have Okay, So did you see what did you hear what Shannon Sharp said? He's like, listen, people who never wish ill upon the dead? Right, Shannon Sharp and Chad Johnson both saying never wish ill upon the dead when oj Simpson does.
Speaker 3: Since when.
Speaker 2: You're not allowed to wish ill upon the dead when he's responsible for the deaths of two people, including his ex wife. Really, no, no, no, no, no, I don't. I don't. I'm not the bad guy for not mourning the loss of the bad guy. Sorry, right, And this is not like sports guy. This is not you know, Barry Bonds who took steroids that's the only way he could pass Henry Arn's record. This is not even Alex Rodriguez, like the shadiest worst dude ever. Like, no, no, this is a completely different level. We talk about sports and business like the murderers. I think you got a special place in hell there, right, But it's more than just being responsible for and I believe, though found innocent in a criminal court of law, I believe he did it. There's the interview. You guys have all seen the interview right where he went through the imaginary scenario. You know, if in this scenario and then all of a sudden. You can see him walking you through that night, and he's got this nefarious Charlie figure.
Speaker 3: Yes, I did see that.
Speaker 2: Dude's just sociopath. Like, what are we all doing? You don't have to, you don't have to when Charlie Manson died, did you have to go like, you know, hey, listen, I'll due respect to the passing of the Charlie Manson, you murder somebody or responsible for or the softest I could ever go is well at least he one knows who did it. And for all of this time, for the thirty years since the passing of his ex wife, he couldn't give her family peace. And so now he dies or supposed to go like, hey, you know he died like, never speak ill upon the dead. No, so horrible human being, he's got a first class ticket to hell. Why am I supposed to feel bad? Why am I supposed to not speak poorly of the dead. You're a god fearing Christian man, Dad? Am I wrong?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 2: Am I the bad guy for saying that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I don't think that you're the bad guy. I think that there are a lot of people that share your opinion on this. I do not share the opinion of Shannon Sharp. I also think that Shannon Sharp because he attacked Caitlyn Jenner.
Speaker 2: Uh, oh, that's what it was. It was about. It was about Kaitlyn Jenner.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's where it ended up because she made a comment on Twitter, and so I think that's where X wherever it was, that's where I think that it was angled. But I do not, I do not think. I don't have the angst that you have, but I am in lockstep with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just it's not about treating people. And like there was a post on social media, which I don't know to be true, but I don't know to be a lie. Where there's a woman who said she signed an NDA and she was at USC in the mid nineties and he battered women there. You know, he had the charges against him with Nicole. I'm simply talking about murdering two people and never asking for forgiveness, never copping to it, never helping anybody find who the real killers were as he pledged to do. Like, the whole thing's a complete sham. And I'm not going to sit here and go just because he died, like my dad died of cancer, Like I usually have great sympathy for anybody who goes through that fight. You know, one of my best friend's dad died of colon cancer, which I think, what he what he died of, right, But I'm not going to sit here and do the cancer thing and go do the woe was Me thing for OJ Simpson. No, thanks, I was.
Speaker 3: I was not directly affected like ninety nine point nine nine nine percent of us from this, although ninety nine point nine nine nine percent of us were wrapped up into the story. I'll make this quick, but when this all happened, I hadn't moved out to southern California yet. In fact, when I did move out to southern California, and where I lived wasn't too far from where the murders took place. So when family came in, guess where I would take them on a tour. That's one of the streets we would go by, and I would say, hey, this is where this happened about probably within the last decade or so. I always remember that Ron Goldman's sibling sister had personalized plates. I think his dad did as well. In honoring Ron, and my wife and I were going out to a restaurant where we lived and I saw the personalized plate, and we went into the restaurant and I saw the family they're eating, and I thought to myself this, I thought, I'm going in there and I'm looking for them. We know them, we know their faces. Now this maybe twenty years thirty years past it. But they're not having dinner, and they're probably getting unique stairs. And they're not getting unique stairs because they're famous. They're getting unique stairs because their son was murdered. And to that point of just reality of it's got to be a living hell to live every single day with that memory that your son is not there, to the point of now you can't even go in and get lost in public because you're reminded about it because as people see who you are, like it was such a different Like just I just thought about it. I'm like, Okay, don't look, don't stare, don't be awkward. You know, it's a familiar face. It's different when you see a celebrity at a restaurant, right, this is completely different, and if you make eye contact, they know exactly why you're looking at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I this is one of those. To me, it's the time. Can heal some wounds not that one. Yep, not that one. Sorry, not that one. And even if it was, you know, I mean, part of it is if you know, we know about the grisliness of the of the murders. It's not like there was an argument in a fight and somebody lost their temper, got scared and fired off like a warning shot and like one of those deal crime of passion, but just the idea of whatever happened, whatever happened, the family was never given piece and and to that that's just ultimate cruelty, ultimate cruelty to not give people piece of what happened. It's like, look, we can get over the fact that you got that, you got off of the murder chart. Just tell us what happens.
Speaker 5: We just know.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if you really want to know, but you get so far deep into it and you get to every you go through a trial, you see, you wear every detail of it, so you kind of know, just like, dude, come on, and then you carry on this charade if I did it and in this in this scenario, and you have every sort of detail, he's the worst. He's the worst. No, death does not help you, in my mind, it does not help you escape this thing. Eh, you mean you tell me that you died of cancer and you couldn't still tell everybody what really happened. Just come just empty your soul because you don't have one. So no, I don't feel sympathy. No, I yes, I can speak poorly of the dead. I'm Doug Gottliebe's Dan Byer in for Dan and the guys coming over with the Dan Patrick Show. Which quarterbacks are gonna go where in the NFL Draft? And how should we really evaluate these quarterbacks leading up to the draft. A guy who's done it for a living will tell us next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Hey, we're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing, we never have enough time to get to everything we want to get.
Speaker 5: To and that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have. It's time for Yeah, you blubber list in me.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a Covino and Rich after show and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 4: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promise and also uncensored, by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 5: There you go, over Promising, and remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Cavino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: It's Dan Patrick's show Fox Sports Radio, the hottest rookies, biggest superstars, and the all time great's. The only place to collect all of them is Benini Trading Cards, the official trading card of The Dan Patrick Show for instant classic autograph cards, memorabilia, cards, rare inserts, and more. Start or continue your collection now at Paniniamerica dot com. I just got a great tweet from Kelly Lace. That's at Dad too. Twin girls. Hey, by the way, happy congratulations. I have twin girls. They turn eighteen on Sunday. How old is your boy? Crazy? Anyway, says as a pro, his worst day would be any average golfer's best day at Augusta. Just like you saying, pick up basketball. That's why when people talk trash to me in basketball, because I was never particularly good, but now I'm really not good. I just say, hey, dude, this is this is the best day of your career, the worst of mine. Let's just get through this thing. Anyway. Jordan Speed shot at seventy nine yesterday.
Speaker 3: Well, they completed today. It was not good today. He took a nine on fifteen and it was Yeah, it was not pretty. You sometimes wonder if sp He's going to have that magic and it disappeared this morning. It was not there.
Speaker 2: What happened to Jordan Speed.
Speaker 3: Chipped back into the water, so then he had to take a drop on.
Speaker 1: The other side.
Speaker 2: I don't mean what happened on the nine. I mean what happened, and then.
Speaker 3: What flubbed his chip? Then he missed his putt, and then he tapped in for a nine.
Speaker 2: That feels like me, I love when I get on the green like part five and two, Like yeah I can, I can get it in four from here, no question? But no, what legit? Like what happened? Like he was the next one, He was the next one six feet in He never missed a putt. That dude was an unbelievas. He was a.
Speaker 3: Machine ball striker. Yeah what happened. He was never the longest, you know, so it was never the most athletic, but he would get hot, yes, and he would get a hot uh. And he knows how to play in those clutch situations. Yeah, just it happens.
Speaker 2: It such a hard such a heart, such a we're doing are we gonna do that? SCLF? Like that's baseball, that's the SCLF. Golf, It just happens. I just golf is the I'm trying to think, which is the most miserable sport when you're not playing well? Like when in basketball with must they just take you out?
Speaker 3: Yes, or you can get an assister or a rebound. Golf, there's no hiding. There's no hiding.
Speaker 2: There's no hiding like tennis. Like in tennis, when you just don't have it or you're overwhelmed, like it's over quick. You know, it's just over quick. That thing like there's nowhere you can go. I mean, you could retire, but you don't retire.
Speaker 3: The other thing is your opponent may stink in tennis, so that may give you a little breather. With golf, there's nothing you can do.
Speaker 2: No and just unrelenting courses, unrelenting. Did you see Travis Kelcey graduated from the University of Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he got his degree for the University of Cincinnati. He walked and upon receiving said diploma, he broke out a beer and pounded the beer. Now I'm gonna preface this by saying, along my path, I have met and spent time with Travis Kelcey. Now this was years ago when he had the reality show where he dated like thirty two women in the summer. And I find Travis to be awesome, hilarious, fun. You know, obviously his brother Jason is like the every guy, and you know, Travis's a little bit was a little bit more of the playboy a little bit, but like, nothing is more on brand than the need for attention. Nothing says I need attention more than these two time you know, the back to back super Bowl champion tight end who's dating the most famous woman on earth doing the Look at me, I'm pounding a beer when I haven't. It's like one thing if you're just turned twenty one, you're twenty two and you're the football dude, but like pro you're in your thirties, you're kind of a grown up. Now you're going to pound a beer after getting your diploma.
Speaker 3: Also, because most college graduations are Doug Gottlieb, dan Byer, Chasing Stewart, Joel Elliott, Dan Patrick, Seaton, O'Connor, Paul Papps, Fritz really good what you're doing? Yes, like that's what they are, fast, like it's it's he had the moment his parents were on stage. Now that I'm seeing the video, Yeah, it had to be a sponsored deal, right, Like whoever that beer or drink was it's a ball narrow.
Speaker 2: Fan, Yes, yes, brought to you by Pfizer. He was the Pfizer add he did. Yes, that would be that would be the most Travis Kelcey thing ever, is if it was all sponsored by Also it's one of those deals where I'm sure everybody knows who he is, but there's plenty of people like, who is that guy? Why is he pound? Get off the stage, man, I want to see my nephew. Mark Dominic joins us. He spent over twenty years in NFL front offices. Of course, he's the general manager of the Tampay Buccaneers, and he joins us here and Dan Patrick show Fox Sports trader Dan Buyer alongside him, Doug Gottliebin, we're getting closer and closer to the draft. What are the smokes signals? What do you think the commanders do? Because that really feels like where the draft can pivot and change based upon who.
Speaker 3: They take it to. Mark.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're doing their due diligence obviously on Drake May and Jade Daniels and trying to figure out which one they're going to go with. I don't believe it's j. J. McCarthy. I don't think that that's where they've got him quote pegged, and I think it comes down to, you know, obviously the offensive coordinator, what he's dealt with before in terms of you know, Alex van Pelt and to me in terms of Green Bay, it's kind of unique where I think that seems more excuse me, New England, that seems more of the May. I think Washington feels a little more Jayden Daniels based off of what they do offensively, what they're going to want to do.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, Mark, Do you think Washington ever had a legit shot to move up one spot for Caleb Williams.
Speaker 6: No, I don't think so. And I don't think that the Bears are looking for that they needed, They needed the uh, this player. It's so much more important than picks and uh, you know, if you're gonna bet on it, they're obviously going all in on Caleb Williams, and you've got to take a shot when you've got that spot.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if Jayden Daniels goes to Washington, Okay, who's the next quarterback to go?
Speaker 6: Say they again?
Speaker 2: Dog, If Daniels goes to Washington, who's the next quarterback to go?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I think Drake May goes. I mean, I think it's gonna be uh, Drake May is certainly the next quarterback. Then I think it's JJ or you know, it starts to get into Michael Pennock's kind of world. So I think that those two might pull fall down a little bit further, like JJ may fall a little bit further down the ladder, but they're both obviously, I think, going to go in the top fifteen. So I think JJ has the chance still to be maybe that you know, eighth or ninth pick if one of those teams, like the Minnesota wants to pop up and go get him. But I think it's the three quarterbacks and then I think you see the receiver start to pull off the board in offensive tackles. I think that you're going to see possibly seven or eight straight offensive players before we see Dallas Turner come off the board towards the end of that first top ten picks.
Speaker 3: So Minnesota obviously made the deal so they could get to first rounders. Do you do that deal with a person in mind, or do you do it to just have the ability to move up. Is there a scenario where they end up staying or now are they pot committed and have to move up because they acquired that second first.
Speaker 6: You know, I think they did it because when I look at the value of that trade. The trade from a analytics standpoint or from a value standpoint, says you make that trade every time, especially not being on the clock, because you don't know what player is going to be there, So the trade can become more valuable based off I think to me, the more quarterbacks that come off the board, uh, you know, brings a positional player that's going to drop to that pick, and so I think it becomes a much more valuable pick. I think that doesn't mean they have to go move up. They don't have a lot of ammunition behind that pick, so it's kind of like, you know, are you going all in?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 6: So we'll see what they do. But I think they just made the trade because the value was too good, not because hey, we've got to use this to go get a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Hm. What what is it like in that draft room when when you're you know, when you're trying to figure out what you want and who's going like how how close can you peg it? When you're sitting in the five spot or the seventh spot in terms of what happens before.
Speaker 6: You, you're pretty close. H you should have a pretty good understanding. I know that when I was picking five, I felt like I could move back to seven and still get one of my top two guys and they were both on the board when I was at seven, So uh, I think that that's one of those things where you've got to do a lot of work right now, and there's there's fun questions you can ask people, and I think could be an interesting opportunity for you, Doug at some point with your interviewing of gms. But here's the question that's a trick question and you can get a lot of information out and that we'll share it with you because we do this all the time. But the question you ask a general manager is do you think, uh, who's a good Uh Do you think Joe Alt will get to you at seven?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: So now you ask maybe the Arizona Cardinals, or you ask you know, a team that's in between. And if they say yeah, I think he'll be there, they're not thinking about subconsciously, they're innswer the question we won't take him. And if they say, hey, I don't think he's gonna make it there, that means they have him high up on the board where they're going to consider him right. So it's a very interesting question you can ask somebody if you're in the in the draft situation, and you got to use it pointedly. You got to use it carefully because you don't want to over and date it. But you've got to pick an individual player that you say, hey, do you think he'll make it to you? And that's what I used to do with GMS. I used to talk to teams and go, you know, I don't want to tell boards. I'm just kind of curious, like, you know, picking some butt guys that I thought were going to go in front of me. Maybe when backtick in eighteen or nineteen. You know, I talked to maybe a team that was at twelve or thirteen, say, hey, do you think that there's any way that Ryan Kerrigan makes it to you at eighteen? And they're like, nah, he's certainly, and I don't think he's gonna be there, you know, and then suddenly it's like, okay, so they have him high up on the board consider and that's kind of inside information.
Speaker 2: Can cold like I like that. Now you can even tweak it even more and do the true like like never ask a guest no, and go, what's the likelihood that he gets to you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? And again it's a it's a tell that they're going to use within the organization. You could do it as the head coach. You could certainly do it to the general manager, because those two are gonna have the best sense of like who they really want to take as compared to maybe what the overall feeling might be in a building.
Speaker 3: Last week, going we talked to dominic Key told us how he would find these mock drafters and totally give them, Like how did you find that information when they were completely off the set, Like they weren't even they weren't even in the same county. So there's a you see the little backway deal of general managers here, all right? I aggress you mentioned number five. Number five right now is the Chargers. It is Doug's team. Is there such a thing as first pick of your tenuere? Like, is this are we making Jim Harbaugh's first pick as the Chargers head coach? Are we making a bigger deal out of it than maybe it actually is? Or is this actually a big deal because it's pick number one of his tenure with the Chargers.
Speaker 6: No, I think it's a big deal. But I think it's a big deal because I don't expect the Chargers to be up there again for a long time. You know, I think that they're going to be able to put together an offense here that is going to be very exciting, and I think they're going to have the pick of the litter for the most part in terms of so I want an offensive tackle, do I want the tight end or do I want the wide receiver? And I think that they're is coming down to all three, and I think that the offensive line is like we said last week, I still think that's a sneaky in play move that the Chargers could do to kind of solidify, you know, justin Herbert in terms of protecting their most important asset. It's not the sexiest pick. It's more sexy to take brock Powers or you know, whichever receiver happens to be there at five. But I can understand that all three of those are in play. But I think they're just so critical that they've got to get it right, because again, I don't think the charge is going to be in this kind of situation again next year the following because I think Carbo is going to make this team a playoff team.
Speaker 2: Wow. From your lips to God's ears, the Chargers will actually achieve the level of their talent. But but let me okay, so, but if we look at what the Chargers have done, it does feel like they're crafting this offense under the guidance of Greg Roman. Right Like, you bring in, you know, a tight end he drafted, he was there for a draft. You know, you bring in a running back, You're you're making this into a Greg Roman offense. Doesn't that stream? Hey, go get Brock Powers where you have another pass catching tight end.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it does. I actually think it does. And I think a lot of people who are mocking Brock Powers at fifteen or sixteen are way off one where the NFL club see Brock Powers as a player and then it was possible.
Speaker 2: Oh he's amazing. He's amazing, am he's the best playing in SEC.
Speaker 6: I don't dis I mean, he's a great, great football player at a pivotal position. And it's a quarterback's best friend. And in the end, you know, kind of what you think about what Greg Roman's done, and especially when he was in Baltimore, what.
Speaker 1: Did they do?
Speaker 6: They drafted guy the draft guys maybe late wide receivers in the first round, but second and third round where they take the vertical guys. So the worthy, the guys that can run vertical. That's where the Baltimore Ravens have always done that. They push your defense down the field to open up stuff underneath from Mark Andrews or the run game. And so I think that they're going to do. I think they'll do tight end or offensive line if it's a shock, but I think the wide receivers later in the draft because I think they're going to get vertical guys like they've always done before when Roman was the offense coordinator in Baltimore.
Speaker 2: There we go. Hey man, this INSIGHT's amazing. Love have you on my show. Love you having on this show. Hope you have a great weekend.
Speaker 6: Thanks so much for joining us, guys, thanks for having me on. I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: Two weeks to two weeks. Mark Dominic joins us here in the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. What is incredible, by the way, I just great, dude, incredible, valuable asset, Like giving you the whole Like, here's how you get your information. Uh, I'm Doug Gottlieb. He's Dan Byron in for Dan and the Danettes here and the Dan Patrick's show. What would it be like to see your son get called up to the bigs when you're a former big leaguer. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 2: Our next guest knows he'll join us. I'm the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Doug Gottlieb, Dan Byron for Dan Patrick, Dan The Danetes You, and The Dan Patrick Show Foxsports Radio. So look, I think everybody thinks of these moments in an athlete's career year that are unique and special, like what you'd what you have in base baseball is because of the true minor league system, maybe because of how we've the movies like Bull Durham, Like the idea of getting a call up from the to the show from the minor leagues is something that sounds really really cool.
Speaker 3: Then when you.
Speaker 2: Factor in, well, it's a former number one overall pick who it was only a year and a half ago, is number one pick and oh yeah, by the way, he's the son of a dear friend of mine who is an All star in his own right, and it happens even cooler. So we've kind of on my show, The Doug Gottlieb Show, which airs every day at three eastern New Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, we've kind of all adopted Jackson Holiday is like our guy to watch this year in baseball, to pay attention to baseball. But the guy who he actually it's actually his son doesn't have to adopt him is Matt Holliday, and he joins us now on the Dan Patrick Show. Matt, how you what, Doug?
Speaker 7: Ho are we doing?
Speaker 3: Good man?
Speaker 2: What what is that like to watch your son play in the bigs?
Speaker 7: Well, it's really exciting. Uh it was, you know, I expected it at some point this year, obviously didn't didn't know when, and and so, uh when he called me a couple of nights ago and and said that he was he was headed to Boston, uh pretty cool, pretty cool feeling, and pretty exciting for our family. So we immediately pivoted and tried to figure out how we were going to get to Boston the next day and and get to the game and uh try to get everybody that wanted to be there, uh to the game. And uh, so it was it was pretty exciting obviously. Fenway Park is a is a historic venue for baseball and and a lot of things up. You know, I had a chance to play in a couple of World Series. Is there and really cool place, uh to make your debut and and to uh get a chance to go and watch him fulfill his dream of playing in the Major League and uh do it on a really good team and in a really cool environment. It's a lot of fun. So we we had a great time and now we just landed in Baltimore's catch a catch their his first game as an Oriole in Baltimore tonight. Uh, so that's exciting too. So it's a it's a fun time and really enjoy watching him pursue.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: You know his passion and what he loves to do, and that's by baseball.
Speaker 3: I know Oriole fans probably wish he was called up sooner, but you talk about us kind of it's it's going to happen. The day he was drafted, what did you think that the plan was? I know, not thing's a given, but in your mind, what are you thinking of, Like, all right, this is when we're going to see him in the bigs.
Speaker 7: Well, you know that that I understand how challenging in baseball is and how you know, the minor leagues, particularly for a kid coming out of high school, you know, can be can be a challenge, and so uh my expectations. I think at the press conference he said his goal was to be there within two years, and I would to myself with thinking, Chief actually like that, that's pretty quick, Like you're you know, this is a hard deal. It was a hard game. And so I don't think that, you know, particularly with him, when he puts his mind to something, he's he's pretty relentless and and pretty uh you knows he's done, done what he said he's he's going to do, and and so uh, to make it this fast has been pretty remarkable. Uh to be you know, twenty years old and in the major league, Uh, after being drafted less than two years ago. And you know, I'm I'm really proud of him. He puts in the work and and he's mentally very tough and very focused, and uh he does everything right as far as eating and sleeping and watches you know how much make sure he's he's doing everything he can have success on the field. So I didn't really know to answer your question how long it would take. I would he gets probably a little bit longer than it's taken. But and knowing how focused and determined the kid he is, I'm not really surprised.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you ever shared this story, but it's when I remember Matt Holidays. Our guest, of course, is Jackson, the number one overall of the Orioles a year and a half ago, just got called up to the BIGS as the Orioles were playing in Boston. Now now returning home. Of course, Matt's a seven time All Star in his own rights, won a couple of World Series as well. Okay, so when he was younger and I people ask all the time, like, no, what how what is that like for Jackson? What's he really like? And I was like, dude, the most humble, thoughtful kid, And I remember this story and tell me if I'm wrong. You guys used to when he was little and Leslie would go to Target, she would do a deal where she'd run the credit card when they'd pay, and Jackson, they'd like, Jackson would sit there saying a little prayer that they'd have it, you'd have enough money for it to go through, right, am I remembering the story ride.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, he yeah, he and Ethan were always concerned that, you know, the target trips when the basket would get to full, that if if we'd have enough money to uh to get the to get all the things that were in the basket. So I don't I don't know if we how much many things were in those baskets, but yeah, they were. They were concerned that that the credit card wouldn't be able to cover it, and so Letslie just played along and she'd be like, I don't know, we'll see I mean, if not, we'll have to start taking back.
Speaker 2: I I only I only bring it up because like, seriously, how do you guys? How do you guys do it? Like Ethan's going to be a star as well still Otur high school. He's in some of he's number one rate of prospect in his class. But how do you do how do you as a major leaguer and all star when you have so many things that other people want? How do you do it to where you do? You have kids that are not only successful, but they're hungry for more. That's really the thing that so many of us who have young athletes that we want and when you're raised in fair affluence, you think they're not going to have that hunger.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know what the I don't know if there's a magic bullet on that. I think just you know, I think them understanding what it took and getting a chance to be around me, uh in my career, and getting a chance to watch all my teammates, and I think then then identifying the level of work that it takes to play at the highest level and for them to see, you know, the best players and what they you know, the work that's put in, I think was really good for them to understand. And I think it also it uh, it created a passion I think for the game and for wanting to do that for a living and for them wanting to be pro baseball players. I think being around it and it's you know, it kind of provoked them to want to want to do that. And so I always told him, you know, I would throw to them or hit them ground balls or whatever they wanted to do all day if if it was their idea. But I wasn't going to force them that. I wasn't going to make them go practice that in baseball. Really, you know, in all sports, as you know, you have to have a passion for the practice, and you have to love the behind the scene work, and you have to love the the the skill development just as much as you love the game in front of a ton of people and the good the four for fours and the highs of of of winning and and and and being you know, the sort of the star player. You have to love all of the process just as much because that's how hard, you know, the sport is at the highest level that you have to continue to work and and and and fight for every day that that every day is a competition you challenge and if you don't you can get embarrassed.
Speaker 1: I mean it really is.
Speaker 7: And individual league night you're playing the best of bringing it both mentally and physically. Uh, I mean, you have to have to bring it on hundred percent every night. And I think that the fact that they were raised in that environment really you know, helped them understand what it took. And and then like I said, the out their passion for the practice.
Speaker 3: Quick one for you met holiday before we let you go. When Doug Gottlieb stays with you, does he also put his feet on your furniture? Like he does sometimes at work.
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, but that's really invited our house.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right.
Speaker 7: We have four dogs and we have you know, it's it's uh, it fits right in. Yeah, so it's it's it's uh everyone puts their feet everywhere, so it's uh, it's it's right up. He probably learned that at our house.
Speaker 2: Doesn't have you have three dogs in Trooper. Nobody likes Trooper. Nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody likes Nobody likes Trooper.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Hey man, I'm so happy. I can't wait to see Jackson he comes out to the big a uh next week. Safe travels for you, guys, and let's see if Jackson get his first home run night off Peralta.
Speaker 7: That was good, all right, thanks for having me on guys.
Speaker 2: All right, it's Matt Holiday joining us. Is just a real close friend of mine. But can you imagine, like you strip it all away, you've you've done all that stuff yourself, and you know they work literally every day in the barn at Matt's house on hitting and to see your twenty year old kid like get called up, I don't know's I've had a lot of dad moments. That's a pretty good one, pretty good, pretty good one.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Coming up next to the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio is show Heyo Tani Exonerated. We'll discuss next