Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Welcome to it could happen here a show about things falling apart this week. The thing falling apart is the US healthcare system science in general, but specifically the healthcare system. I'm Garrison Davis and today I'm joined by a very special returning guest, doctor Kappa Hoode.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 5: Hey, Yes, the thing falling apart is you, the listener. So it's very important that you listen up. You were going to do anyways, but in particular, you should be paying attention here because this is important stuff.
Speaker 3: So in mid May, we got some news in the FDA CDC Human Health and Services front. As there's been there's been a lot of news in the health front, but specifically we're going to be talking about the new guidelines for COVID vaccines that the FDA is trying to push through in the United States. So the new FDA Commissioner, Marty mccaray and the top vaccine regulator of an APRISAD have published a quote unquote study you pushed back on on the use of the word study in the New England Journal of Medicine about the COVID vaccine booster shots. Yeah, and are going to be changing the guidelines for how these are going to be administered and who has access to them, particularly those under the age of sixty five, might have a harder time getting the COVID booster that they have like the past few years, requiring certain existing conditions to qualify. And they have a whole bunch of arguments for this. They say they're trying to make this more in line with the vaccine guidelines and other countries they're proposing for their studies on the necessity of COVID vaccines for those under sixty five. Yeah, and for someone like me who tries to keep up with COVID boosters and you know, doesn't like it getting infected with COVID, some of this can seem a little bit both confusing and worrying and considering, like the anti vaccine takeover of the FDA and like the federal Health services in general, it's a frightening move.
Speaker 5: I guess yeah. I think you're right to feel concerned. It is something I am a little concerned about for a couple of reasons. One, I mean, I just don't flatly agree with limiting the use of the vaccines the people they're planning to limit it to. I mean, this is coming from the medical freedom crowd. I feel like people should at least have the bodily autonomy to have the vaccine if they want it.
Speaker 4: That's a part of it.
Speaker 5: But I'm actually even more concerned about the bigger sense of what this represents. You know, on the surface, making some changes is not totally unreasonable to our vaccine policy, and we generally reassess our COVID vaccine policy annually, so that's not too abnormal. But the thing is, we have this whole system set in place to do it in a efficient, smart way that is public, and there's a process to it. If I can give you a little bit of a sense of how it normally runs and what's going to happen now, I think it'll explain why I might have my concerns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be very useful to hear. So normally there.
Speaker 5: Are some clinical trials, there's some studies that happen, some real world data, some points that can be looked at, and then the FDA uses this advisory committee. Again, these advisory committees are not career politicians. They're scientists, their public health officials, their doctors, people volunteering their time. I don't think they get paid other than maybe food and their expenses, but other than that, they're not paid for just this job. And what this group. The first group is called the VRBPAC and they determine if it's a safe and effective vaccine. If it is determined that way, then the FDA grants a license and approval. From there. There's another group, the ACIP, and that's an Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, and it's the same sort of thing. It's a group made up of scientists, healthcare professionals, public health professionals, and people will come together. They'll determine who should get it, and then the CDC director signs off and then it gets out there to the world. Now, basically what we have is two political pointees, both of which have these massive axes to grind on the subject, have some severe chips on their shoulder about what's happened so far to them in this conversation and this dialogue. Who are going to bypass this whole scientific system, who aren't to be looking at these questions like what is our growing immunity? Is Annuel Booster still warranted? And they're going to take this outside of that and basically make the decision. And I find that to be very concerning, even past like this, this basic premise of like, you know, does this mean that my friends or myself I won't be able to at the vaccine that I want to get? So I find it to be very concerning. And you alluded to that article in the New England Journal of Medicine. It did not alleviate my concerns.
Speaker 3: One of the guys here, the guy who's heading up the vaccine regulations, has compared the US COVID response to Nazi Germany. He has boosted anti vaxx claims from Robert F. Kennedy Junior.
Speaker 4: And he's blocked me on Twitter. Come on, and truly his most heinous offense. How could you block me I'm lovable.
Speaker 3: No. Me and this guy Robert Evans were joking yesterday, never heard of it. Vot about how some of your like personal nemeses have been have been put into positions of like government power, and how you're upset about that, And I remarked, oh, first time, because this has unfortunately been the trend of our work the past few years. These these weird online figures who we've developed personal a grievances against for being bad people suddenly now are like in the p echelons of power in the US government.
Speaker 4: Hey, I like them, they just don't like me.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's true, but regardless, do you have any other notes on mccari and like specifically, Uh.
Speaker 4: You know what I'll say.
Speaker 5: So A big thing about this article that they put in there, and what they talk about a lot is trying to get more farm companies to do large studies, which you know, on the surface totally reasonable. But the thing about it is not every problem can be solved with what's considered the quote unquote golden standard of studies, the double blind randomized control study. Some studies just can't. They want to see that these companies are doing these studies to say that it's good and safe and beneficial for younger people. But there's a couple problems with this, Okay, One, I'm not entirely sure that's ethical. Like, if we have something that works, if we know this vaccine helps, and we do CDC studies have shown that these boosters help for at least four to six.
Speaker 1: Months, possibly life saving medication.
Speaker 5: Exactly is it ethical to deny somebody that, Like, would I want to be a part of that study.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't want to get potentially the placebo. So that's part of it. But even beyond that, to do these studies, it's lengthy. They are long studies. If you want to do it and you want to do it right, it takes a while. So by the time they do this, by the time they do the study, even if I'm being very generous in how long it takes them, by the time we get the results, we'll be onto a different mutation. We know that this thing mutates, we know it's going to change into a different virus, and we won't even know if that study that we just spent all the time doing works on it. So we have other options for studying these things. They're not double blind, randomized controlled studies. But we have other studies at work, and there are plenty of epidemiologists out there, vaccinologists, people who know way more about this than me, and to be fair, know more about this than Prasad and McCary. They're the ones saying this is not a good idea. So I'm like saying, let's listen to them. Let's listen. They know what they're talking about. They're smart people. I've met some of them. They're great, and it doesn't make sense to me on an ethical or practical level to do it that way.
Speaker 4: Do you know what doesn't make sense to me? Cave? I know? I do? I do? I do? I can I say? Kind? I guess you can guess.
Speaker 5: I'm guessing that commercials don't make sense to you, But really, at this point in your career, they should make sense.
Speaker 3: I should know by now. But still the concept is is a little bizarre. Here they are.
Speaker 4: Okay, we are back.
Speaker 3: I guess let's get into more how this will affect the average listener, Like what these things could mean like both in I guess the short term and then like the long term, if you're trying to plan out your you know, your health a journey. What kind of like risks you have if you're you know, compromise, what that means for you versus if you're magical, perfectly healthy, you know, twenty five year olds, Yeah, prancing around with with no issues.
Speaker 4: France and as the kids do. Kids love to prance.
Speaker 5: So in the short term, it's not clear. In a month that advisory committee I mentioned the ACIP is going to meet, or they're supposed to meet, I don't know if it's all going to happen, and they're supposed to determine who should get this, so first things first, they could they could disagree. It would be the first time I've seen it. I've never seen the FDA and the ACIP not be in lockstep in this regard. And maybe it's happened, but I can't think of it in like, I don't know, I don't know what'll happen. That'll be a little bit of chaos and it'll be interesting to see what happens to that point. But if it goes as the FDA now plans, it will limit who can potentially get these vaccines if you're not over sixty five, if you don't have a what's considered a risk for serious disease like asthma, cancer, kidney disease, certain types of liver lung disease, diabetes. If you don't have any of these things, then it's not clear to me. Will the pharmacist not give it to you, Will the pharmacist check if you tell them you have one of these things? Will insurance cover it? I don't know, and that's really concerning. I think the price is going to go up, and that does relate to the bigger concern, the long term problem in this, which is, I mean, Kennedy has said he's not taking away vaccines. Great, he doesn't actually need to take away vaccines. He just needs to do things like this so that nobody wants to pay for it. Nobody wants to go through the process of studying it, nobody's going to make them. Insurance companies aren't going to pay for it. People aren't gonna end up being able to afford it. They're gonna be lesser and fewer of them, and they will go away naturally on their own because of this. That's really the long term concern that I have with this. The short term concern, I mean, I don't know, it's going to be interesting, you know, like there's certain things on this list that the CDC has, Like for example, physical inactivity is on this list.
Speaker 4: I mean, how who could argue with you on that?
Speaker 5: Like, you know, if you tell the pharmacistre having physical inactivity, like will they I don't know, will they check that? How will they check that? So I don't know what will happen in the short term and the long term. Definitely big concerns.
Speaker 3: It seems like part of their strategy here is just putting as many roadblocks in between you and vaccines that could save your life as possible to further whatever like conspiracy driven worldview that the people at the top have and just like the inhumane side effects that's going to have across the entire population.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I mean to also put this into context, COVID. We're in a better situation than we were years ago. That's certainly true. But at least from the CDC records alone, forty seven thousand Americans died from COVID related diseases last year. At least two thirds of that number were directly due to COVID, and amongst that there are about two hundred and thirty deaths from kids. That is a significant number. And at least you can say at least one hundred and thirty of those kids were directly related to COVID and not from some other problems. So this is significant stuff that we're still dealing with. In long COVID can affect people. Long COVID can affect all groups. It can affect young and old. So it is concerning and it bothers me in particular that the group doing this, as I said, getting is the medical freedom group, and this is this is sort of the exact opposite of this.
Speaker 3: I think this demonstrates how much a medical freedom has actually just been a dog whistle for like this conspiracy theory driven belief this entire time. Like people clamoring for medical freedom don't actually believe in it. They're against trans healthcare, they're against vaccines in general. They want to put autistic kids into like behavioral like therapy programs to try to make them not not autistic. Like it's it's it's not actually about medical freedom. It's about it's about advancing a very specific conservative and conspiratorial worldview that actually controls what other people are allowed to do with their bodies. This is like a massive, a massive part of their project, and like, I don't know how else you can like interpret moves like this which are just going to jeopardize people and put them even in more danger.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's going to get worse. We can see the effects already. Just today, Moderna withdrew their application for a covid flu combo vaccine, a one shot vaccine that would have both, and the studies on that so far were really good. Actually they showed they looked really promising and they're just doing this because you know, okay, now do we have to have these double blind control studies for this?
Speaker 4: And they know it's going to be a hostile environment. And now it's.
Speaker 5: Withdrawn and there's going to be more and more of that. Like way way before your time or my time, there used to be more pharmaceutical companies making vaccines. There used to be a lot more than there are now there's only a handful now, but there used to be a lot. And then there was like this CBS show about the protessis vaccine and it was called like Russian roulette, this could give you, like this could end your life. And there's like one like made for TV like show about it. It wasn't a movie, but it was like a special they did, and it raised such concerns that letters started pouring in to the network, and they then started pouring into Congress and there was a whole hearing and after that we had a significant drop off in regards to the companies that make these vaccines, and we have a few now, and I am worried that this could be another sort of inflection point in that in that history, in that.
Speaker 4: Arc of vaccines, and we're going to get even fewer now.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's been devastating watching the advancement of the HIV vaccine, which seemed like it was nearing completion, gets tolled for a number of reasons, including like DEI policies getting pushed across these health departments because the HIV vaccine research uses, you know, terms like gay and trans and it mentioned gender. Yeah, you know, all all that kind of stuff, which is which people focused on in the first few months. I'm super nervous about the COVID nasal vaccine getting basically shelved, and every like new thing we see come under the FDA just makes those fears heightened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's pretty rad.
Speaker 3: Not to be too depressing, but that is kind of the that is that is the mood of this show in some ways. Yeah, like people people can still you know, wash hands mask up at this point, people can still get the vaccine. But like the way that the way that we've been like treating like the widespread health of this country has has has already been pretty bad the past few years. Yeah, and this is like trying to intentionally make it worse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it does. It does feel like that sometimes. Yeah, I am concerned about it all, but you're all right, we still have as of now. I mean, there's still some options going forward in terms of vaccines, and hopefully we'll continue to have them totally and we'll see how this plays out. I am really curious. The next month will be very telling when we have that ACIP Advisory Committee again. If it's allowed to happen, and they allow people like Paul offit, people who are real vaccinologists, people who know about vaccines, not just pointed political people, but people who actually study this and know it. If they come on and they can provide enough pressure, if people can support them, then I do think that there is there is some hope that the pushback will will help us alleviate some of this restriction.
Speaker 3: I hope would the people on the like ACIP panel be like political appointees, Do they have the same risk of all these other people put in under RFK junior where they're very clearly politically there versus like careerists who are actually actual experts in the field.
Speaker 5: Well, unless they change it. The ACIP is not set up like that. The ACIP is just you know, these really great group of independent doctors and scientists, public health experts that are using real world data. They're looking at how the immunity shifts over time. They're looking at the virus and seeing if it's changing. Really volunteers that come from the world of science to do so. So as of now, they're not. That's not how the group works. I don't know if that'll hold. I mean, I don't see any reason why they couldn't if they wanted to scrap the ACIP get rid of the people on it. You know, people who are vaccinologists who are of great significance to the community, like you know.
Speaker 4: Peter Hotez or your Paul Offits.
Speaker 5: These scientists who really study and look at these things and put in just people who are already in line. I mean, unless I'm missing something about it, I don't see why they couldn't do that.
Speaker 4: I hope they don't.
Speaker 5: I think there's enough scientific background in Prasad and McCary that they would recognize the importance of an independent council.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Well, that's good to know. We don't need to be fully doom or pilled on that, but it's a good thing to watch out for.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I'm gonna be watching out for, Kava, I do, I certainly do.
Speaker 5: You're gonna be listening more than watching, but you're going to be listening for some really great ads.
Speaker 3: Okay, Cob, I guess I'd also like to touch on this actual piece in the in the in the New England Journal of Medicine. Yeah, they're quote unquote to evidence based approach to COVID nineteen vaccination, which is more of a blog post, right, it is not a study, it is. It is a blog post. And specifically they talk about how the United States has a much more like severe vaccine strategy than other countries in Europe, and they try to use this to justify their own beliefs, saying that they're trying to bring things in line with the vaccine policies in other countries.
Speaker 1: Is this real?
Speaker 3: Is this true? I don't live in Europe. I'm not super familiar with the European vaccine guidelines. I don't expect you to be an expert either.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: It's really funny though that you mentioned it, because it's so funny what they decide to endorse about European policy, like will socialized medicine. Most of these European countries have socialized medicine. They will have nothing to do with that, and then they'll nitpick certain things. So there is some truth to the fact that we are doing things differently. And again I'm not opposed to looking at that and being like, Okay, what are the countries doing, does it work? And could we do that? So there is a difference are currently until now in the US, it was generally recommended for anyone over six months. People weren't being made to have this. By the way, again, medical freedom, you know.
Speaker 3: No, I was pretty sure that Joe Biden will send a swat team to your house and shoot you unless you get the COVID vaccine. That's what I was told on the RFKJ and your podcast.
Speaker 5: I mean he is somehow simultaneously a decrepit old man who's certainly confused, but somehow able to orchestrate an incredible from the depths darkness, deep state espionage. So I guess it's possible, and that's how we do it. It's how Canada does it. The UK they do do it a little differently. They do it for people greater than sixty five. They do it for residents and care homes. They do it for people greater than six months and high risk and people who are greater than twelve years of age but are in a house where someone's demo compromised. They do it for anyone who's over sixteen who helps care for someone who's vulnerable. And they do it for all social and healthcare workers. I mean, they have a different system in place. They have, as I mentioned, socialized healthcare in general. They're very good about their vaccines, so it's hard to tell. It's a little bit of apples and oranges. But it's funny what they decided to pick and not pick about that. And it's also funny why some groups are missing under our care, Like a lot of places will vaccinate anyone who's overweight. Here they don't consider being overweight a risk for COVID, so that it is funny how they're choosing their nitpicking certain things that are recommendations common recommendations in other countries and not using them here, so they do it a little differently in Europe. That is true, and again this is the kind of stuff that they're going to evaluate every year. The ACIP will evaluate the look at the emerging data, to look at the other countries, to look at what's being done, and they'll discuss it. So it is true, and it does seem reasonable on the surface when they say it like that, hey, we're just trying to get and they mentioned this in the New England Journal of Medicine article, we're just trying to get more in line with the rest of the world. And that's not really true. It's like they're just picking certain things that they want to agree with and ignoring all the other stuff about their healthcare system that we could benefit from.
Speaker 3: One of the more wide aspects of this, again Glorified blog post is talking about how the COVID vaccine booster program has actually undermined public trust in vaccinations, which is like again, this is like a we're all looking for the guy who did this moment wearing the hot dog cost you I quote. Even healthcare workers remain hesitant, with less than one third participating in twenty twenty three to twenty twenty four fall Booster program. There may even be a ripple effect. Public trust and vaccination in general has declined, resulting in reluctance to vaccinate that is affecting even vital immunization programs such as that for these hills mumps and rebella.
Speaker 4: Oh so weird.
Speaker 5: I wonder if it's the people that have been talking about how corrupt and terrible the FDA and CDC.
Speaker 4: Are for like the last five six years.
Speaker 3: It's insane that they're like able to like do this like it's yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: I mean, it is an ongoing inside joke amongst people in the medical commune unity.
Speaker 4: The hot dog meme guy.
Speaker 5: That's a very common like attribute to these to these characters who talk about, you know how how they're clearly sowing the seeds of mistrust and then capitalizing off of it.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they even mean to or not.
Speaker 5: And people ask me a lot they're like you know why, why are they why why do they do this? And I that's a tough one for me. That's your friend, Robert Evans. I ask him that every time I'm on his podcast, as there's a point in the podcast where I earnestly and I don't do this on purpose, where I just don't understand, and I need to understand why it's being done. And in these cases it's hard, you know. Previously, Vne Persod had a podcast that people really like called The Plenary Podcast in the medical community. I never listened to it because I don't listen to medical podcasts.
Speaker 4: Why would I.
Speaker 5: And what it did basically was it would break down like studies and go over them in a very sort of skeptical way. And I think it's good as a doctor to be skeptical. I think that's a good attribute for us to have, and it was useful in many ways. But then I don't know if it's audience capture. I don't know if it's true belief. I don't know what shifted, but it does seem that it was a steady growth into this contrarian perspective from the medical community that doesn't totally make sense to me, Like they all kind of feel like they're Galileo or samulwise, that they had this rare, contrarian opinion that made them special and they were attacked for. But in my mind, it's not so much that as it is. You know, there is a scientific process that we have. Galileo followed a scientific process and that's how it came to those conclusions. These people, I don't feel are following that, and they are strict to their method idolatry to what they feel needs to be done, and I don't feel like they're listening to the experts in the field explained to them why that's not the case. That's how every hero probably feels in every situation. But they have somehow become the victims in this story, and I am very curious to see now that they're in power, how that shifts and if they maintain this sort of victim mentality.
Speaker 3: Well, how can you be a victim when we have beef Tallow back at stake and shake everyone. We did it, Beef t We did it, Joe, We're back.
Speaker 4: We sure did. Maga coated coconut oil.
Speaker 1: Now I'll be completely healthy again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, that is so funny to me that be I mean like, we could talk about seed oils, we could talk about the quote unquote hateful eight, we could talk about all that stuff. But it's it's pretty clear that oils are better than tallow for your health, and beef tallow there's very little, Like there's a little proof to prove that it's good for you, and a lot of proof to say that animal products are bad for your heart. Yeah, so it's it's absurd that that's an argument that we're still having at this in twenty twenty now.
Speaker 3: Instead of frying in theef tablet oil, instead, I just drink a full eight ounces of grape seed oil every morning to wake up. It does wonders for me. It just gets the whole body up and run in lubricates the whole system.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: I know you can't give medical advice, but do you have any advice to give listeners before we close?
Speaker 4: At least people who are like.
Speaker 3: You, afraid of what these changes from rfk's FDA will mean for them in their community.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's okay to be concerned about it, but I do think there is some time to go. There's going to be a lot of people from the medical community fighting to try and fight these restrictions on the vaccine. So we'll see how that goes. You will probably be able to find ways to do it. You should talk to your doctor about it because your doctor probably can see a risk factor that you don't. If you don't see one that automatically fits that list from the CDC, your doctor might be able to find one that is. And I'm not talking about fraud. I'm talking about like real things. Your doctor may be able to look through your chart, look through your history, talk to you and find a risk factor that you didn't think was a risk factor, like, for example, physical inactivity or you know, smoking. So there are things that we can look for. And as they shift those goalposts, which I'm sure they will, we'll also be trying to find ways around that as well. And you know, when the ACIP comes out, there's going to be a lot of pressure on them, and I think we can pressure our Congress and we can pressure our representatives to support them at least nominally to discuss it, if nothing else, because I don't think this is getting talked about that much, So I think if we can bring it to the public attention, I think we can shift the narrative on vaccines. I do believe that the narrative has shifted on covid and vaccines in this terrible way, this revisionist way, where everyone pretends it's not it wasn't a big deal and that we didn't lose millions of people. And I think if we can keep that in the public discourse, I think that alone will help.
Speaker 4: I think that's important for us to do.
Speaker 5: And that's what people you know on Reddit and people on the Internet and Facebook and all that stuff can do, is they can help keep this in the public eye and fight that incipient I don't if that's the right word. Insidious is probably the right word. It's this really subtle sort of reconstructing of the narrative of what covid was and how important these vaccines are. So that's how people can help in the immediate future. And then you know, stay tuned, talk to your doctor about vaccines and when you can get them, and get them as soon as you can. I do think that's a good idea for both flu and for COVID boosters when available.
Speaker 3: Cave lovely talking with you as always. Where can people hear you talk more on the internet.
Speaker 5: I am on a podcast called The House of Po and it is a humor adjacent, fun ish medical podcast.
Speaker 3: I would say it's not adjacent to humor. I would say it is on target.
Speaker 4: What we're next door to humor. We next door to humor. We speak a little humor, not a ton. But you will like the show.
Speaker 5: If you like this, I think you're gonna recognize a lot of the same people. Gear, for example, has just recently been on an episode, and you know, you'll we'll get Gear on again, I hope, and you'll find people that you like. There a lot of the same sorts of people. We take a skeptical look at medical grifters and the wellness community. So a lot of the same stuff you love from these shows and the extended behind the Bastard universe. You'll also get into I think our podcast the House of Pod and find it anywhere The House of Pod, the House of Pod.
Speaker 3: The first time I met you online, I was invited onto this show. And you know, it was a pretty busy year twenty twenty. There's a lot going on for me with you know, riots and such, and you know, whatever damage was done to my brain via all that tear gas and for some reason, and I don't quite know why. I wonder if I was just conflating two messages, but I thought I agreed to go onto a medieval history podcast, not a medical podcast. So as things just started, I was a little bit confused, and then I went back to reread the message of like, oh no, I definitely says medical, and I still don't quite know how I did that.
Speaker 4: Like I said, a lot going on that idea. Great, whatever it was. Whenever you thought you were doing, you did it well.
Speaker 3: But whenever I think of your podcast, I now also think about medieval history.
Speaker 4: So there you go. Yeah, hey, okay, that's cool. I'll take it.
Speaker 5: I'll think we did do an episode one. I mean not every episode is strictly like medical stuff. Like I did an episode with these these guys who wrote this book on Sparta and the battle with the Persians and how this story has been sort of turned into something grossly that's not partially because of three hundred and partially because of other reasons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so there is a little bit of that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it makes sense. Yeah, yeah, you would like that episode.
Speaker 1: How often do you think about the Roman Empire?
Speaker 5: I don't I think about how the Persians kill the lot of them, over them thermophully.
Speaker 4: That brings me a little spark of joy. Okay, good to know.
Speaker 5: Just kidding listeners, don't I don't approve of people being murdered.
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't even if they're jerks. Good to say this day and age. Thank you so much, Cafe, thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Welcome to take it happen here. I'm your host, Na Wong. Today is the day before the thirty sixth anniversary of the Tianneman Square massacre. We're doing something a little bit different. Three years ago I wrote a pair of episodes about Tiannemen, democracy and the International Workers Movement, expanding off a piece I'd written for laos On a year before that. That was a long time ago. The world is a fundamentally different place than it was in twenty twenty one. Europe has been consumed by war. Whole revolutions rose and fell. The fact threat we defeated in the streets, returned to power in a new and more terrifying form. In this new, uglier and more brutal world, I wanted to return to Tianeman, to return to one of the great horrors of another age to see if we can take anything new from the wreckage of the Death of Hope. I'm no longer the same person I was when I originally wrote these episodes, and so today and tomorrow are Tianamen remastered. There were really three Tienemens. The first and most famous Tieneman was a student protest inside Tianaman Square itself. If you've heard the word Tienemen before this story, you know. The second Tienemen was the Tienemen of the blocks of Beijing around the square, blocks sees and transformed by Beijing's working class. If you've heard about this Tienemen at all, it's probably in the context of the tanks rolling through them on their way to the square. And then there was the third Tienemen, the protests in other cities, of which we still years after I wrote the original piece. No distressingly little about our focus today is on.
Speaker 4: The first two.
Speaker 1: The students of the student protests were a weird ideologue go grab back that cannot simply be reduced down to the simplistic pro democracy label they've been settled with in the three and a half decades since Tienemen. The short version is this the students were pissed off about what's called reform and Opening not going fast enough, and we should talk about what reform and opening actually was. On the one hand, you had some steps to ease restrictions on free speech, rehabilitate intellectuals and other people were so called bad class backgrounds, and allow for a broader public discourse. This was paired with market reforms. I started to bring capitalism back to China. This was a shit show in a lot of ways. If you want to hear about the CCP reinventing what's essentially debt peonage about five years into this process, go listen to my Behind the Bastard's episode about the poisoned milk scandal. But Reform and Opening is remembered as a kind of golden age of free expression, golden age of hope and possibility, where things really seemed like they could be different. This is not entirely accurate. Reform and Opening also saw a bunch of absolutely draconian crackdowns on the social sphere. There was the One Child Policy, a hideous expansion of the states into the sphere of social reproduction, replete with forced sterilizations, and the reimposition of patriarchal power. It saw the tightening of one man rule in the factory, the destruction of any form of worker's decision making and control over the process of their own labor. In these horrors you can see the beginning of the fragmentation of Tiannemen and Chinese politics more broadly already forming. The students wanted market reform to go faster, They wanted more freedom of speech, They sort of wanted democracy, but mostly they wanted to be in charge of the party so they could crush the bureaucracy that was holding market reforms back. It's worth noting, of course, that many of these students were involved in what became known as neo authoritarianism, which holds that the strong central party should take full control of society and destroy factions in the bureaucracy. It was an ideology that survived the death of the protests and went on to become a major faction of the CCP itself in the nineties and two thousands, and this is where some of the truly weird shit at Tianeman comes from. The students were, in many ways an incredibly hierarchical movement, which escalated to the point where student leaders were kidnapping each other for control over stages and microphones, and these protests, in terms of their nominally stated goal of influencing the factional fights inside the party, were stunningly ineffectual. The guy they were trying to defend inside the party wound up getting ousted and put under house arrest for the rest of his life, and the changes they demanded failed to occur. But Tianemen, as I mentioned earlier, was also the workers, and for most of the protests, the students absolutely hated them. Students barred workers from entering the square itself until the final hours of the protests, tried to stop workers from carrying out a general strike, and relations were in general extremely bad. This raises the question what were the workers doing there in the first place. There's a few answers. The simplest and most immediate one is that the workers were pissed off at how badly the party was treating students in the square. But there were other things going on too. The late in eighteen eighties in China saw rampant and skyrocketing inflation. The rapid price increases threatened the supply of cheap grain that composed a huge supply of welfare services provided to urban workers. Meanwhile, marketization was accelerating, and suddenly you had CCP princelings racing down the streets in imported sports cars, driving past workers on their bikes, and spending a year's salary gambling at the racetrack. And this pissed people off, so they started organizing. I'm going to read a section from a piece by Uron saying about what the workers were doing during the struggle to obstruct the military. Workers started to realize the power of their spontaneous organization and action. This was self liberation on an unprecedented level. A huge wave of self organization ensued. The worker's autonomous Federation membership grew exponentially, and other workers' organizations both within and across the workplace mushroomed. The development of organization led to a radicalization of action. Workers started organizing self armed quasi militias such as Quote Picket Corps and Quote Dared to Die Brigades to monitor and broadcast the military's whereabouts. These quasi militias were also responsible for maintaining public order so as not to provide any pretext for military intervention. In a sense, Beijing became a city self managed by workers. It was reminiscent of petrograds self armed workers organized in the months between Russia's February and October revolutions. At the same time, Beijing workers built many more barricades and fortifications on the street. In many factories that organized strikes and slowdowns, A possible general strike was put on the table as well. Many workers started to build connections between factories to prepare for a general strike. This was unaccepsible to the party, and so for the third time in seventy years, the CCP fed its own working class to the machine guns. On the night of June third, the army began to slaughter its way to the workers defending the square. It was the workers who bore the front of the massacre. Most of the casualty and lead of political repression were against members of the workers faction. The army soon reached the square itself, for the Western press Corps bore witness to what became known as the Tianeman Square massacre. This is where you get tank Man and the most famous accounts of the massacre. By that point it was almost all over. The protests were crushed and the Chinese working class died with it. But before the last bullet had even been fired, every faction under the sun began to construct their own narratives about what had just happened. The most common narrative is that Tieneman was a clash between democracy and authoritarianism, and to some extent it's not exactly wrong.
Speaker 4: There were a.
Speaker 1: Lot of other pro democracy movements in this period. You see them in Taiwan and Korea. They swept across huge swaths of Latin America and eventually spread to places like the Philippines. But the real question of the pro democracy movements was what kind of democracy. The students at Tieneman, to the extent that their democratic principles were sincere and not simply cover for a deeply authoritarian version of liberalism that demanded rule of law by a new class of intellectuals to oversee market reforms. Believed in a narrow conception of political democracy. This political democracy operates at the level of the state. It's based on free citizens equal before the law, participating in elections to choose representatives who pass laws and generally oversee and manage the state bureaucracy. This model of political democracy relegates the workplace to a separate economic sphere into which democracy does not extend. The capitalist firm or its state owned equivalent remained the absolute dictatorship of the capitalists and their managerial flunkies. Even the progressive wings of the pro democracy movements in Taiwan and South Korea maintained this private dictatorship. Workers would be given rights under the progressive regimes, permission to form unions, access to the welfare state, limited protections from the worst physical and psychological abuses their bosses could inflict. But no matter how progressive the pro democracy movement, the legitimacy of the dictatorship of the bosses was not up for dispute. To them, democracy meant a democratic state, not a democratic workplace. The workers of Tianmen alone disagreed. They stood against not only the rest of the world's pro democracy movements, but the tide of history itself. By applying the principles of the pro democracy movement to their own concerns skyrocketing inflation, mounting debt, rampant corruption by government officials, spiraling inequality, and petty bureaucratic oppression, Beijing's working class reinvented an old and now largely forgotten traditional democracy in the factory, democratic workers' self management. This is, to a large extent, what Tianmen was actually about. It was the culmination of a century and a half long war between the democratic wing of the classical workers' movement and essentially every other ideological movement on Earth. The workers's movement would fight capitalists and communists, liberals and fascists, monarchies and republics, social democracies and theocracies, and at Tienemen they would lose one final time. That defeat is the origin of the modern world. One man rule in the factory, in its thousand thousand forms is the author of the hell of the twenty first century. And when we come back, we're going to look at the international part of the struggle that ended at Tienemen. To fully understand the magnitude of Tianemen, we need to go back to the revolutions of eighteen forty eight. If you want a detailed accounting of eighteen forty eight, go listen to the Revolutions podcast. It's great. It's also many many, many, many, many many episodes. The short version is that there were a bunch of revolutions across Europe in a eighteen forty eight, collectively known as the Springtime of the Peoples. It was the first wave of revolutions where socialists were a real political faction. Frederick Engels death that angles of Marx and Engels fame was on the barricades with a rifle fighting in Prussia. There was a huge revolution in France where they deposed the king, and the question of how far democracy was going to go came for the first time to the forefront. Inside of the democratic movement itself, you had a split between the sort of French radicals who'd done the original French Revolution, who wanted electoral democracy but dictatorship in the workplace, and the new socialists who wanted to question property relations and the question of class itself, and most importantly for our purposes, whether democracy would extend past the political sphere and directly into economics. This prefigure is a split inside the socialist movement itself. For the most radical factions, control over them that means of production meant that workers would control the production process directly through free associations of workers direct democratic unions, a position later known as cynicalism or workers councils, but more conservative factions of the socialists became enamored with the bureaucratic technologies of the state. They watched with envy as the industrializing powers of the eighteen sixties and eighteen seventies engaged in increasingly elaborate planning schemes, first of roads canals in railroads, then of entire cities with complex electrical grids, gas lines, and plumbing systems, and began to believe that centralized state planning, not the democratic association of workers, could bring about the long sought after cooperative commonwealth of socialism, and that planning obsessed faction began to encompass more and more of the left. In Germany, home to the powerful German Social Democratic Party, socialists became divided between two camps, the Revisionists led by Edward Bernstein, who renounced Marxism and revolution entirely in favor of reforming capitalism in the state from within, and Karlo Okotski's orthodox Marxists. Basically, the only two things these factions, who otherwise despise each other, agreed on was the primacy of state bureaucratic planning over workplace democracy. This led to the Social Democratic Party disastrously working to break the workplace autonomy of many of its own workers, but were still The person who became most obsessed with the potential of bureaucratic state planning was one Vladimir Bilitch Lenin. As the anthropologist David Graeber pointed out, Lenin's obsession with the German postal Service was such that he included this passage about the future socialist state in his famous State and Revolution, a text written between the February October revolutions of nineteen seventeen. Quote a witty German social democrat of the seventies of the last century called the postal service an example of the socialist economic system. This is very true. At present. The postal service is a business organized on the lines of a state capitalist monopoly. Imperialism is gradually transforming all trust into organizations of a similar type, to organize the whole national economy on the lines of the postal service, so that technicians, foreman, bookkeepers, as well as all officials to receive salaries no higher than a workman's wage, all under the leadership and control of the armed proletariat. This is our immediate aim. Lenin's idealized form of socialism would thus take the form of a total state bureaucracy tasked with planning the entire economy. This would set off a massive series of confrontations with the part of the workers movement who wanted workers control over the means of production to mean workers making decisions overworked themselves and not just working for a different set of bureaucrats. The struggle bureaucracy and democracy in the workers movement mirrorred the struggle between the workers movements and the capitalist state. By the eighteen eighties, the workers movement had created variable states within a state in countries like Germany and Italy. These quote unquote states were vast networks of workers' institutions, ranging from as Grape had described, free schools, workers associations, friendly societies, libraries and theaters end quote to unions, co ops, neighborhood associations, tennis unions, mutual aid societies, and political parties, ran democratically by workers themselves, which provided vital services to workers and their families, and served so the workers hoped, as the basis for a new socialist society. Fearing the popularity of these democratic workers institutions, Otto von Bismarck created bureaucratic state run versions of the libraries, theaters, and welfare services to replace them. Telling an American observer quote, my idea was to bribe the working class, or shall I say, to win them over, to regard the state as a social institution existing for their sake and interested in their welfare. And this works. It was enormously successful. Socialists themselves came to confuse Bismarck's welfare state bribe with socialism itself, and when they took power, they replicated the bureaucratic nature of many of Bismarck's programs, eliminating the democratic aspects of the older workers' institutions entirely. But where their leaders had forgotten the democratic core of the Rowan ideology, workers themselves never did. As the nineteenth century drew to a close and the twentieth century began, workers who engaged in spontaneous uprisings instinctively began to form democratic institutions, particularly workers' councils. The most famous of these councils, of course, were formed in the spontaneous Russian revolutions of nineteen oh five. In nineteen seventeen, these councils, called soviets, were originally formed in nineteen oh five, out of ad hoc strike committees that became formalized elected bodies of representatives in the various factions who worked to coordinate the general strike. The revolution of nineteen oh five was crushed by the Czar, but in nineteen seventeen, the Russian working class would once again form workers councils as another revolution commenced. This time, the councils would take control of production, directly coordinating between various factories and industries, as well as serving as a worker's counterpower to the new revolutionary government. The Russian Revolution kicked off a period of open warfare that stretched from Italy to Argentina between the forces of democracy and the factory and the newly formed anti democratic alliance of social Democrats, Bolsheviks, capitalists. Between nineteen seventeen and nineteen twenty, workers councils formed in Germany, Poland, Austria, Ukraine, and Ireland and were matched by revolts of syndicalus unions in Brazil and Argentina. These uprisings wereal crushed in Italy, which saw some of the most intense conflict been synicalists and the Italian state. The famous occupation of the factories was ended not by the Italian government but by the Italian Socialist Party in their union, the General Confederation of Labor. This, in large part was how fascism won in Italy and in Germany. Faced with workers movements on the verge of seizing power, social democrats turned on the working class slaughtered their own comrades, propelling the fascists into power in their wake. Ironically, the worst defeat of the democratic workers movements will come not at the hands of the capitalists or social democrats, but from Lenin and the Bolsheviks, the very party at the workers' councils had put in power. Lenin began to undermine the power of the Soviets almost immediately. Published mere days after the October Revolution, his draft Decrees on Workers' Control stated in no uncertain terms that real power and authority lay with the new state and the Bolshevik dominated trade unions. In the face of massive and unexpected resistance from the workers councils, the decree is needed to be modified before they could be implemented, but while publicly declaring his support for the workers councils, the Bolshevik slogan was after all, all power to the Soviets, Lenin continued to trip away at their power until he finally admitted his real position of democracy in the Factory in nineteen eighteen in the Horrifying the immediate tasks of the Soviet government quote, unquestioning submission to a single will is absolutely necessary for the success of labor processes that are based on large scale machine industry. Today, the revolution demands, in the interests of socialism, that the masses unquestioningly obey the single will of the leaders of the labor process. This is obviously one of the most disturbing things I've ever read. But to be clear, while Lenin is more candid about what one man rule in the factory actually entails, the system he's describing isn't actually different from one man rule and any other political system. Bolshevik rule in the factory would be no different than capitalist, social democratic, or even fascist rule. The movement for Democracy in the Factory now faced four implacable enemies willing to put aside their ideological differences to ensure that workers would not run their workplaces directly, and as the nineteen twenties bled into the nineteen thirties, the movement seemed to have all but disappeared in a haale of bullets and blood. But they didn't. And next episode, our heroes, the collective hero, the world's working class, will be back. They will do many, many more revolutions, and we're going to talk about why those revolutions happened, what the ruling class did to stop them. And then returned to the lead up to Tianneman Square to see the final stand of the Chinese working class. Welcome to seek it happened here. I'm your host, Miya Wong. When we last left the story of Tieneman One, Vladimir Ilias Lenin had in theory, crushed the last remnants of the faction of the workers movement that actually wanted democracy to extend into the factories. Unfortunately, for the Leninists, no matter how many workers they killed, the demand for democracy in the factory simply refused to die for over one hundred years. The development of the mass factory system and the logistical infrastructure necessary to support it, perhaps most importantly, coal mines and the railroads used to transport that coal, generated an especially militant working class that saw democratic control over the workplace as a fundamental aspect of its liberation. Ideologically. As the Journal and Notes pointed out, this manifested in a series of interlocking beliefs about the nature of the working class and class society, all of which were necessary for the instinctive formation of workers councils to manifest themselves in moments of revolutionary crisis. In the midst of the rapid technological expansions of the Second and third Industrial revolutions, workers came to see themselves as the creators of the new world. This produced the second belief that drove the classical workers movement. The producers of this new world should also be its inheritors. Thus, the goal of the workers movement was to take control of production in itself and manage it for the common benefit of workers themselves. These two beliefs in and of themselves were not unique to the democratic wing of the workers movement. They broadly comprised the ideology of the movement as a whole, and by this point the workers movement was extremely brought, stretching from social democratic trade unionists the intellectual heads of the Leninist vanguard parties. What made the democratic wing unique was its concern with the fundamental alienation of factory life, with the condition of being reduced to an object by bosses who simply used workers as human tools. For the Leninists and social democrats, alienation was simply a product of ownership or distribution. The liberation of the working class would be found in its productive capacity, not in its innate humanity and creativity. Before the democratic wing of the workers movement, this solved nothing as long as the fundamental reduction from human to object that characterized one man rule in the factory persisted. Changes and owners of structure and health benefits missed the entire point that degradation could only be solved by returning agency and autonomy to the working class, by giving it the class itself control over the production process that for so long had controlled them. In nineteen thirty six, Spanish workers decided to take matters into their own hands and seized control over their workplace's end mass. The Spanish Revolution, as it later became known, would become the largest and most extensive experiment in democratic worker self management before or since. Everything from public utilities to bakeries, to hospitals to shoe factories fell under the control of the direct democratic unions, and once the former bosses had been chased from the premises, the workers set about transforming the entirety of Spanish society along democratic lines, pulling their resources collectively and allocating them democratically the benefit of everyone. For a brief moment, the triumphant experiment in democratic self management delivered on its promises. Output increased dramatically, social services were expanded, and the workers of Spain, by their own self organization developed a universal health care system that dramatically expanded service into rural areas where care was previously inaccessible. But the revolution had begun amidst a violent civil war in Spain and under the guise of an anti fascist alliance, Liberal socialist and stoutist forces brutally stamped out any attempt at democratic self management and returned the factories to their owners, before losing the war to the fascist armies of Francisco Franco. Undeterred by the mounting casualty tolls of promannagerial massacres, revolutionary workers formed workers' councils and mass factory assemblies once again in Hungary in nineteen fifty six, and then again in Italy, France and Czechoslovakia in nineteen sixty eight. Hungary, in particular is an interesting revolution because over the years it has been subjected to so much of the same liberal mythologization you get with Tienemen, but this time even worse. The Hungarian Revolution is remembered as a liberal democratic revolution. But if you talk to the actual people who did the revolution, they were saying things like, and this is a direct quote from a member of a Hungarian workers council quote, the time when the boss decided our fate is over. In reality, far from simply instituting liberal democratic democracy, Hungarian workers seized control of their factories and workplaces, forward workers' councils, and overthrew the government before Russian tanks slaughtered them. This was not a liberal democratic revolution at all. Almost identical revolts broke out across the capitalist world as well, in Italy, in France and Chile, communes broke out and colonized Vietnam. They spread everywhere, and to the dismay of capitalists and communists alike. The development and implementation of the democratic solution to alienation these revolts provided was largely instinctual, and it often emerged in places without established workers movements and the political education effects typical of such movements. Was the course of the revolution in Algeria. The political education Algerian workers had received was from the nationalist vanguardist National Liberation Front f l N, which had prosecuted the war against the French colonizers. The Afalen's ideology emphasized the decisive role of the state in national development. Upon taking power, however, Ahmed BenBella, Algeria's first president, discovered the question of the economic structure of Algeria had already been answered for him. Production would be managed by democratic workers councils built on the properties seized by Algerian workers after the mass exodus of French settlers who fled the country following independence, left much of their property uninhabited. Then, Bello's administration took a page out of Lenin's book and publicly supported the councils while privately undermining them. But the whole dispute was made irrelevant by a military coup two years later that dismantled the councils completely and reimposed one man rule in the factory. Still, even by the late seventies, it was by no means clear that one man rule in the factory would triumph as a political system. Workers and students almost took Italy in nineteen seventy seven, and the CNT, the anarchist union that had led so much of the Spanish Revolution, reappeared after the death of Franco. For a brief fleeting moment in the late nineteen seventies, it really looked like they were going to do it. The persistence of these revolts in the face of pure military repression caused capitalist managery elites to look for ways to dismantle the systemic structures that produced the democratic revolts without giving up their power. As author and friend of the show, Viciostre Wild points out, the instinctive embrace of democracy in the factory was only possible so long as the factory remained a point of encounter, a kind of dark agra that at once both exploited workers and facilitated the interactions allowed them to identify with each other as a class and find and produce collective meaning. Thus, the fundamental thrust of the attack against democratic self management would take the form of an attack on the shop floor as a site of collective identity formation and as a space that could be seen in any way as liberatory. This assault took a number of forms, most famously deindustrialization itself, as well as the spatial relocation of factories from urban centers into the suburbs, where workers could be isolated from each other and turned to homeowners bought off with the combination of cheap credit and the promise that the new homes would also function as assets.
Speaker 4: The quote unquote.
Speaker 1: Democratization of finance replaced the democratization of the factory, as the capitalist class funneled union pensions into the stock market, thus tying remained of organized labor to the fates of capitalism itself. Corporations began to turn the workplace into an immense propaganda apparatus, replete with mass ideological programming designed to promote identification with the corporation itself and not the working class as a whole. Worst of all, the mobility of capital and the immobility of workers combined with the new logistics, networks and technological advances in containerized shipping to create a world where if workers ever began to get the upper hand, capitalists could simply move elsewhere As the total size of the industrial working class contracted, capitalists increasingly took that option in the left, spitting vast populations out of the traditional workforce entirely. These developments would eventually destroy the classical workers movement, But in order for the anti democratic counter revolution to succeed, it needed somewhere to move their production to somewhere with a large, exploitable labor supply. The capitalist class found that answer in China in the wake of the CCP's victory in the Chinese Civil War in nineteen forty nine. The Chinese factory system was extremely different from the system that existed anywhere else in the world. Chinese state owned firms virtually lacked the ability to fire workers. People's entire social sphere was built around their work units, which provided everything from their healthcare to their retirement, to their food to often their entertainment. The CCP also eliminated the piece rate system, a system in which people were paid per unit they produced, which is, for example, how the USSR worked. This meant that in order to get people to work, bosses had very little leverage. They were thus forced to allow a degree of participant patient in the labor process and the ability to criticize bosses, because otherwise it was virtually impossible to get anyone to do anything. Chinese bosses solved this problem through a combination of mass ideological work and a parentalistic, semi democratic system for determining the heads of work teams that, while raked by the party, ensured that managers would at least be somewhat popular. Till the process was strictly managed, workers had the ability to criticize the cadra to govern them, and combine the work unit's system of folding home and social life into the factory system. The product of this system was that because there was already a greater degree of workers' participation in Chinese factories than workers elsewhere, and because of some of the structural elements of Maoism, demands for democracy became delinked from the workplace, and it meant that the system, at least in the cities worked sort of okay until the Cultural Revolution. This means that it is time for me to do the culture revolution. Rant everyone gets the Culture Revolution completely wrong. The initial targets of the Cultural Revolution were kids with quote unquote black blood, the children of people who had quote bad class backgrounds. These people were heavily persecuted. And you can make arguments about what you do with, you know, a Shanghai oligarch collaborates with the Japanese imperialists. But this extends to the children of people from quote unquote bad class backgrounds, and that term is extremely loose. I know people whose families were declared of black class background, who had quote unquote black blood and weren't allowed to hold government positions because her family had made bird feeders before the revolution. It was as a system, absolutely nonsense. So what the early phases of the Cultural Revolution amounted to was a bunch of privileged kids from red class backgrounds in a new system attacking a bunch of kids who were being persecuted for stuff that was literally not their fault at all. They had no way to control who their parents were now. The initial stages of the Cultural Revolution were largely driven by Mao attempting to play power games inside the party, but as things became more and more chaotic and the attacks on CCP, Bear Gratz and Caudra escalated, it spiraled nearly out of Mao's control entirely and produced what's called the January Storm, where rebel workers seized control of Shanghai and drove out the CCP, and this caused what I would describe as a oh fuck moment for Mao, because now, despite all his rhetoric about bombarding the headquarters, he had to actually deal with a workers controlled city. And I found this incredible line from Joe and Lai in a meeting with Mao where they were attempting to figure out what to do with this new revolutionary Shanghai quote. When asked whether the new leadership should be elected from the bottom up, Joe and Lai bluntly replied that quote, anarchism is bound to develop if we immediately implement direct election at the Paris Commune style. And this was obviously a problem for now because there was no way for the party to maintain its long term control if you know, you actually implemented the direct elections in the style of the Paris Commium. And so instead we saw a full on counter revolution. By about nineteen sixty eight, rebel workers and students were getting slaughtered everywhere. The initial uprisings, the stuff that everyone remembers with the dunce caps and the placards, was staggeringly by far the least violent part of the cultural revolution. Here's from Walder, an academic who spent a significant amount of time studying the actual death records city by city and province by province in the Chinese Archives quote, more than three fourths of all documented deaths in local annals are due to the actions of authorities in this third phase, in more than ninety percent of those persecuted for alleged political crimes. This third phase nineteen sixty eight onward is to the people, and the culture revolution gets killed. And this is the opposite of the way that the Culture Revolution is understood. Most of the killing wasn't the product of student radicalism gone out of control. It was the state slaughtering its way through various rebel factions that did most of the killing and the political persecution. And this has enormous effects on subsequent Chinese history. It creates a ruling class that's incredibly paranoid about anything that even smells like organizing happening outside the party, and the most radical students and workers were simply butchered by the state. And by the late nineteen seventies, radical politics in China that could have produced anything even remotely like democratic control of the workplace had collapsed almost entirely in the face of state repression. In their wake, politics moved towards more intellectual driven liberal democratic politics that broadly ignored the working class entirely, as danzhel ping unleashed the horrific one child policy and in draconian an ultimately successful attempt to established the state's patriarchal control over the household and stripped hundreds of millions of women of even the limited autonomy they had clawed out of the Cultural Revolution. But the beginning of marketization, the gradual dismantling of the socialist welfare state, and a wave of inflation produced a series of economic changes that turned Chinese society into a powder keg. By nineteen eighty nine, the classical workers' movement globally was on its last legs. Unable to spark its own uprisings, it latched onto a series of other social and political movements, most notably pro democracy movement in China. But democratic self management and its critique of one man rule in the factory was utterly alien to the pro democracy movement, which meant that its development by the workers of Ganemen was a spontaneous product of the application of the principles of democracy to their own situation. This led to formulations that would have been unfamiliar to previous incarnations to the workers' movement. One worker interviewed by Walder said this about democracy in the factory. Why do a lot of workers agree with democracy and freedom in the workshop? Does what the workers say count or what the leader says. We later talked about it. In the factory, the director is a dictator. What one man says goes. If you view the state through the factory, it's about the same one man rule. Our objective was not very high. We just wanted workers to have their own independent organization in work units. It's personal rule. For example, if I want to change jobs, the bus company foreman won't let me go. I ought to go home at five, but he tells me to work overtime for two hours, and if I don't, he'll cut my bonuses. This is personal rule. A factory should have a system. If a worker wants to change jobs, they ought to have a system of rules decided how to do it. Also, these rules should be decided upon by everyone, and then afterwards anyone who violent and we punished according to the rules. This is rule by law. Now, we don't have this kind of legal system.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: This is obviously an extremely conservative framing of the classical critique of one man rule in the factory couched in the dominant political rhetoric of the rule of law. But any attempt to actually implement this system, that which workers controlled the factories they work in, how long they work, and what the bonus rate was democratically to an independent organization, could only end in democratic, self managed workplaces. As Walder and jang If pointed out, the workers at the Beijing Workers Autonomous Federation were uniformly uneducated. It had little or no connection to any of the various liberal intellectual circles. This was as pure a workers we've met as any in Chinese history, and for one final time, the instinct of that working class was to demand democracy in the factory. This demand, above all others, was politically unacceptable. When the army marched on Beijing, it was the Chinese working class wiped out. Even the memory of the demand for democracy in the factory would be scrubbed from the records that the CCP and the pro democracy movements alike, thus ensuring the meaning of the events would be lost. What then was Tianemen In some sense, it was a transition point between two different Chinese working classes. The protests were the high water mark of the political mobilization of the old industrial working class, who, in the streets surrounding Tienemen mounted the final attack of the classical workers movement. Their defeat ended the old working class as a political force, and they were annihilated altogether in the economic restructure of the nineteen nineties, which crushed the last vestides of workers' autonomy in the factory and destroyed what remained of the Chinese welfare state. They were replaced by a new working class drawn from the rural and semi urban under classes of the old socialist system, who were dragged into the cities to fill the ranks of the two hundred and seventy seven million migrant works that today comprise the background of China's working class. This new working class, with rural household registration in no way into the remaining state owned factories, would have none of the benefits of the previous one. It would instead face a full raft of capitalist ideology baked into every aspect of workplace culture, and a massive attempt to encourage home ownership. While the previous working class could at least pausit a democratic form of the factory to which life could be improved. This new working class's greatest desire was to leave the factory entirely and become a business owner. In this sense, it considers itself to be a temporarily embarrassed petie bourgeoisie. Such ideological selfconceptions are inimical to the formation of the classical workers movement, and indeed the new Chinese working class has largely failed to find the collective identity in the workplace. The situation is not unique. The death of the classical workers movement has seen the collapse of their demands democratic self management everywhere in the face of a working class it refuses to cohere itself in the factory. China was just late to the game. The fact remains, however, that the global economic system has lurned from crisis to crisis for the better part of my lifetime, setting off in its wake an increasing number of revolutions, even as the darker gore of the factory ceased to function as a place to form identities for this new working class. If a collective identity couldnot be forged in the factory, it would be foraged in the street instead, lacking a positive identity to cohere itself around workers were only able to mobilize on a mass basis in direct opposition to a force that threatens it on a cross sectoral basis. The state, with its ability to increase the price of basic commodities and slash welfare benefits, became the only available enemy, and the constant fights against the police became the sole basis for new collective identity formation. Contemporary revolts have thus taken the form of mass street movements in almost continuous confrontations with the states. Factory occupations were replaced with square occupations, and as the squares were revealed to be indefensible, they too were replaced by running fights with the police. But this placed the new revolutionaries in a dangerous bind without the leverage against the state the classical workers movement's control over the workplace, provided they lack the ability to bring down a government firmly committed to fighting it out. Even the attempts over the last five or six years to carry out general strikes in Peru, in France, Hong Kong and Sudan were as Mela Testa predicted in the early twenties, easily defeated without the accompanying factory occupations, but with current labor conditions exceedingly unlikely to produce another wave of factory occupations. The way forward for any political movement that seeks to reintroduce democracy into the economic sphere is unclear. Perhaps that is the greatest legacy of tienemen The workers who assembled outside Tieneman Square had already abandoned their factories. For all that they spoke the language of the old workers movement, they stood and fought and died like we do in the streets. They were the bridge between the world of the workers movements and the world we live in today, and thus faced the same revolutionary crisis we face today, the crisis of Papua and Palestine, of Columbia and Iran, of Mien Maar in Hong Kong, of victory just beyond the horizon that nevertheless cannot yet be grasped. The workers of tienemen I, suspect, have no answers to give us now, But expecting answers from the dead is demanding too much of those past and present who died fighting for liberation. All we can do now is find our own way, and, with the names of the dead on our lips, build the world they died fighting for.
Speaker 2: Welcome to it could happen here the only podcast where anti British discrimination is a way of life?
Speaker 4: James, are we.
Speaker 2: Allowed to say that? Do you remember the training? I haven't done yet.
Speaker 4: I was giving that training my full attention throughout the duration of the video. Every single time I've watched It's good various employees for the last half decade or so, there was no there was no section on anti British discrimination. Yet again, another example victimized.
Speaker 1: Last time I took that training, there was a straight up anti Asian racism in it that they didn't address at all. So I'm assuming if that's okay, then anti British racism was fine, like some shit in those videos.
Speaker 4: Which is wild. Okay, there you go. I think that's a lady who's literally called Karen and they do her wrong in the in the in the video. See I am.
Speaker 3: I am definitely pro British discrimination. But you do get a point for having Peter O'Toole, so at least it's it's it's not all the way because the o'tool factor keeps you from the full might of my wrath frankly the greatest.
Speaker 4: There we go. Yeah, I'm sure that's the case.
Speaker 3: I'm Garson Davis and joined by Mia Wong, James Stub and Robert Evans. This episode we are talking about babies. Should there be more?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Hm, we're on a pro natalist kick.
Speaker 2: We're going to have that off putting couple who look like vampires but like not any of the good kinds on the show.
Speaker 4: Very excited to have those people on. They seem nice.
Speaker 2: But before we do that, we all decided maybe we should talk about other pro natalist policies in world history and how well they've worked generally.
Speaker 3: We're going to start by talking about what the US policy might be, or that the people proposing US policy, and then we will discuss how those policies went historically. Yeah, so like to start with Trumps. Besides one executive order in February supporting IVF, the new administration has yet to tackle pro natalist concerns on the policy front, but a collection of lobbyists, activists, and influencers are vying for the president's ear while proposing a multitude of plans to grow the number of heterosexual marriages and incentivize childbirth. The pronatalists certainly think that the new administration is at the very least ideologically sympathetic, if not in cahoots with their agenda. The main inns on the pronatalist front have come from the Peter Thiel tech right wing of the White House Right. This is like JD. Vance and previously Elon Musk yep. Musk has been doom posting for years about how a drop in fertility rates could be leading to a large scale population collapse, and at an anti abortion rally this past January, Vance addressed the crowd saying quote, I want more babies in the United States of America. I want more happy children in our country, and I want beautiful young men and women who are eager to welcome them into the world and eager to raise them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you got to like whatever you're listening to one of these things. You got to like have a little parenthesis anytime anytime someone says baby, there's a little parentheses there that says white this is this is real Nazi shit.
Speaker 3: Like a lot of the stuff that is certainly like based on like like great replacement rhetoric that the alt right, like Trojan Horst and like pushed forward in like twenty eighteen, which is now so widely normalized thanks to. I mean, really, Musk has done a lot of work in normalizing great replacement stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Tucker calls into Carlson of course, well, and mus Musk's family goes into this, right, like this is the kind of thing like his grandparents where were involved in, Like it was a little bit less of like the standard great replacement shit and a little more like focused on like we need to be breeding high IQ white people together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you change, but like that that is that is what he inherits. He comes by it, honestly, I guess you could say.
Speaker 3: Well, and oftentimes pinatal stretoric is also tied in with like the tradwife and like loss of traditional family structure type stuff.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: Vance has laid blame at childless cat ladies and referred to our quote unquote broken culture that tax masculinity and turns our nation's youth into androgynous idiots.
Speaker 4: Hey shout out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've also started referring to women with kids as catless child ladies as a result.
Speaker 3: Of this.
Speaker 4: Reactions, I don't know people very negatively.
Speaker 3: A declining birth rate has also been attributed to women in the workplace who are not getting married and raising kids at home.
Speaker 4: From an early enough age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and some of this writer are cavs rubbed off on Trump right, and Trump at Seapack in twenty twenty three, he said, quote, we will support baby booms, and we will support baby bonuses for a new baby boom.
Speaker 4: I want a baby boom. Cool.
Speaker 3: Trump has floated a five thousand dollars cash quote unquote baby bonus to American mothers after delivering a baby, calling this proposal a good idea.
Speaker 2: Well, Garrison, that's almost three months at a preschool.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm sure that's enough.
Speaker 2: Not quite three months at a lot of pre schools, like, not even great pre schools. It's very preschools unbelievably expensive.
Speaker 3: The actual cause, like of a declining birth rate, is due to skyrocketing cost of living, so people aren't financially stable to have kids in their early twenties anymore, so instead they're waiting until their thirties.
Speaker 4: That's part of it at least.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you want people to have kids more, you should make the world more affordable. And a five thousand dollars baby bonus doesn't actually solve the key issues that would cause people to be a worried about, you know, trying to like get buried and have kids at a young age in a world where that seems kind of like unfathomably expensive. Now, luckily, Trump does have a few other ways of sorting of sorting out this problem. The new big, beautiful budget bill that recently passed the House will create quote unquote Mega savings accounts for new kids. And here Mega stands for money accounts for growth and in for growth and advancement.
Speaker 4: Just fucking stop stop it.
Speaker 3: So when parents are guardians open a new Mega savings account for their kids, the federal government will contribute one thousand dollars for babies born between January first, twenty twenty four and December thirty first, twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 4: That that'll help, great, great. I believe California also does it. Yeah, California have something called the California Child Saving Accounts Program, which already gives children up to one thousand dollars. And I think it's like a college savings account from what I understand, Yeah, that's pretty much what this is.
Speaker 3: Although specifically in the for the Magia account, it also lists home ownership. Oh cool, because this is like a big this is a big part of this pronatalist thing is you need to own a home, getting a straight marriage, start having kids in your early twenty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, make Instagram videos of yourself chopping would badly like we understand. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The big beautiful bludget bill also prohibits Medicare funds. We're going to plan parent.
Speaker 4: Hut great yeah, let me tell you. One thousand American dollars, even with compounding interest, isn't going to do shit to buy you a home anywhere in the United States.
Speaker 3: Now, the Heritage Foundation's Devasit Center for Life, Religion, and Family have pushed for a policy that exponentially increases the child tax credit for each additional child a married couple has. This is a little bit similar to a policy proposed in twenty twenty three by Republican Representative Brian Slayton of Texas, who proposed increasing proper tax cuts for married heterosexual couples who have never been divorced and have four or more children starting after marriage.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot of caveats.
Speaker 2: There, Jesus Christy, Yeah, okay, sure, yeah, no, this is are we taking issue with this?
Speaker 4: That is some Yeah, this is part of my British charity trade. We developed our own religion so that dudes could get divorced. It is it is. Yeah, it is a bill of rights for British guys.
Speaker 3: Obviously a lot of a lot of caveats in there so that you can have your little like tread Christian family. But four kids would equal a forty percent cut. Ten kids would equal no property taxes at all.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, shit, that's hard to argue with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is property tax. You also have to own the property to begin with to be paying property tax.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of these all these people want you to be like homeowners with a stay at home life.
Speaker 4: Is like, this is what they want, but they don't want to actually do things to meaningfully make home ownership successible.
Speaker 3: No, this is just like self selecting for like well off white Christians, right.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, yeah, hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Slaton said in a statement quote, with this bill, Texas will start saying to couples, get married, stay married, and be fruitful and multiply unquote.
Speaker 4: For fuck's sake, it's a disaster.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean and like a lot of this stuff is too is it's there. This is their sort of flailing reaction to like one of the things that actually drives like declining birthrates, which is not having teen pregnancies like significantly decreases birthrates because it turns out they're like, oh, yeah, right. It turns out a huge part of like white birthrate is so high is just direct social coercion. And if you stop having that or like you know, the amount of the coercion decreases, then yeah, like fucking birthrates are gonna to decline because women aren't being forced to have babies like and you know, and so they're trying to do all this like you know, unhinged tinkering bullshit to sort of like deal with the fact that if you don't force people to have children as teenagers, they.
Speaker 2: Who yeah, because life they quickly realized there's things in life, like you know, drugs and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll go back to the club.
Speaker 3: In March, Trump called himself the quote unquote fertilization President. Oh my god, and the White House is expected to soon release a report on how to expand access and affordability of IVF. Now this is where things get sticky insert pun. There is hot debate amongst advisors and think tanks on the religious ethics of IVF.
Speaker 4: Right, there's no real.
Speaker 3: Consensus among the pronatals voices who are lobbying Trump. Yeah, this sort of breaks down into like the new tech right versus the more religious Christian family sector of conservatism, and Vance is kind of caught in the middle of this, but these groups may end up compromising to form an alliance. Now, Heritage, the Heritage Fundation recommends a program use government funds for education that promotes quote unquote natural fertility, teaching women how to track their mental cycles using charting courses to both help get pregnant and avoid using birth control. They propose that food, nutrition, and lifestyle changes could improve quote unquote natural conception. Instead of using assisted reproductive technologies, Heritage proposed to something that they call restorative reproductive medicine as a holistic approach to treating infertility through quote unquote horn balancing, dieting and nutritional adjustments, environmental changes, and surgery unquote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just need some fucking uh some of those some of those baby teething pills Highlands made that kill babies. That's what you get to take. It's a holistic approach to you get some raw milk, put a bunch of random chemicals and lead in your body from an unregulated supplement company.
Speaker 3: Heritage itself critiques IVF as failing to address the underlying causes of infertility as well as you know, out of concern for embryo personhood rights for fuck sake, So they advocate for embryo adoption and have proposed legislation to make the production of embryo spares.
Speaker 1: Illegal embryo adoption.
Speaker 4: They believe that these are like full like people.
Speaker 3: Now on the other side of the you know, pro natalist, right, you have people like the vampire couple that Robert mentioned. Simone Collins, a pro natalist activist and failed Pennsylvania congressional candidate.
Speaker 2: She could still pull it off. Stay in line if your vote hasn't been counted.
Speaker 3: People her and her husband are self described quote unquote techno Puritans, and she.
Speaker 4: Is the talking super shit.
Speaker 1: Like what.
Speaker 4: God put these people on a boat and send it across the Atlantic, Like, can they get scurvy? Have they already got? They look a little bit like they may already have scurvy. To be fair, they do look like they have scurvy. Constantly they deprive them of lime juice and save the world from a fucking ground.
Speaker 2: Put him on the next starship and see how far up it gets.
Speaker 4: No, they won't get that. Let him try. I support the human spirit.
Speaker 3: Collins is also the former managing director of an exclusive Peter Teele found in social club called a Dialogue Cool Now. She has called the new administration quote unquote inherently pronatalist, and has sent several draft pronadalist executive orders to the White House, one of which would award a quote unquote National Medal of Motherhood to mothers with six or more children.
Speaker 4: This is some trijescu shit, Like, I know we're going to talk about that, but Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: She herself wants at least seven kids. And she claims to use special technology to select embryos with high IQs, which relates back to what Robert was saying earlier. Yes, so they use IVF to specifically select embryos that they think are like naturally predisposed have more desirable traits, including high IQs. They have not discussed the exact method, That's why it's called special technology.
Speaker 4: They're looking for one with a big head or something, So you don't know. I guess I'm not even that far along the IVF.
Speaker 3: So that's always pretty fucked up and then I guess finally, one of the few things that actually has happened in advancement of this ideology was way back like in February, Trump's Transportation secretary, Sean Duffy, who is a father of nine and has ten siblings, sent out a memo directing his staff to prioritize transportation funds to quote give preference to communities with marriage and birth rates higher than the national average unquote, which would, in ef fact, mean less money for urban public transit and instead send it towards like wealthier, rural, white conservative areas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd imagine Latino communities have a higher marriage traits at least than like the national average. Yeah, I'm not sure if.
Speaker 1: Sean Duffy really wants his employees to select for that.
Speaker 4: Though, No, neither of I that's kind That's what I'm meant, That's what I'm That's what I'm wondering for. Yeah, Samuel Huntington thinks they have higher birth rates, right, Like that's his whole stick.
Speaker 3: If you look at the full memo, I think this is this is just like a dog whistle for like white Christians, like that is that is really what he's saying sick.
Speaker 4: Anyway, that is what I have for the current the current peroneals policies.
Speaker 3: We should go on and ad break and then return to learn the historical implications of pro natalist policies.
Speaker 4: M hmm.
Speaker 7: All right, we are back and we are spinning our globe, our big ball of pro natalism, and it is slowing down and is landed on Japan, where mir is going to explain pronatalist policy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I guess.
Speaker 1: I want to open on a kind of global thing which is a concern over like birth rates, for like fat just is a really old thing. I mean, it predates fascism. Like this is like like if you go to like the eighteen seventies, every single person is complaining about like, oh my god, the birth rate is the right. Well, the white race keeps declining and we're gonna get like overwhelmed by the Asiatic Chords. And then you go to like the Asiatic Chords and it's like Japan has been having the same fucking panic for literally so long. Like I cannot emphasize enough. You can just go back through newspaper archives and you just it's you're literally reading the same article over and over and over again, going back just decades and decades and decades, So like the first big modern freak out about birth rates is in like nineteen eighty seven. Yeah, they have the first big like japan birth rate.
Speaker 4: Declining freak out.
Speaker 1: This has been happening longer than like most of the people here have been alive.
Speaker 4: I can remember from like my child. It's just been like, oh, they're panicking about their birthrates again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So like the running thing with Japanese politics. So we're roughly doing these in order of life like most to least hinged in terms of like in terms of these like natalist policies, Japan I think has an interesting series of sort of political contradictions in their like kind of pro natalist Paul Walls if they have, they have political contradictions in their pro natalist politics and political contradictions in their conservative faction. Because Japan is basically like a one party liberal democratic state. Liberal Democratic Party is the one party. This is a party established by a World War two Nazi, but that means that they run all of politics, so like every political factor effectively runs through them. They're early attempts in like the nineties are focused on the deregulation of daycare jobs. So basically their plan is like in the ninety two thousands, they're like, Okay, we're going to like deregulate the childcare industry so that we can have more affordable child There'll be more childcare jobs so people can pay for childcare. This is how we're going to promote this. And this is sort of one of the first places you see this huge intra intraclass conflict between the peer social conservatives who want to just like send every woman back to the household to raise children, and the business people who are like, no, you can't do that. We need to exploit these women's labor to like make money. And so the fight that starts to break out is this fight between like paying for childcare leave versus like paying for daycare. So originally that their plan is like, okay, so we're going to do the daycare stuff.
Speaker 4: That doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Like, none of these things they're going to do does jack shit, right.
Speaker 4: Like that's going to be a through line here. Yeah, yeah, Like no, none of that stuff works.
Speaker 1: And so like like shinzo Abe, I think is the most famous person who spends much of time trying to deal with this and like again. So they have started worrying about this in nineteen eighty seven. It is now twenty thirteen. The birth rate keeps declining recipitously. Shinzawabey rest and piss you fascist bastard is still trying to like cook something. Right, I'm gonna read this quote from the Archives of Clinical Pediatrics shortly after the formation of Abbe's second cabinet, the quote. Task Force for Overcoming Popular Relation Decline was established in twenty thirteen, introducing three key strategies, supporting child rearing, reforming work styles, and promoting marriage, pregnancy and childbirth. So you can do these are going to become sort of like the three pillars of Japanese pro natalist policy, right. A lot of it is focused on this sort of social push stuff to like promote the traditional family and promote marriage, and this hasn't ever really worked for this. Supporting child rearing is one that is going to get a lot of attention in subsequent administrations. There's a lot of attempts to reduce, like to reduce the cost of child rearing, where we're going to see them try like thirty five thousand different proposals to do this, the one that's actually interesting is reforming work styles. So, like, part of the problem here is that, you know, everyone in Japan is working a just genuinely unhinged amount unbelievably staggering over work, right. I mean, it's one of these things that's like a persistent social crisis. It's that there's a persistent sort of suicide crisis because of how long everyone is working all the time. So Shinto Abbe's plan for this was to put into place a soft cap of you can only work one hundred hours a month of overtime. Now, this doesn't do shit, right, Like one hundred hours a month of overtime is enough to kill you, right, like, you know, especially when like your regular hours are this long. But this is again this problem that he's having, which is that like, okay, so yes, you probably could maybe like people maybe would have more children if you weren't working literally all the time and you weren't just like being.
Speaker 4: Worked to death.
Speaker 1: But that's really bad for Japanese business. And like quote unquote Abbey NoMix, which is like Abe sort of you know economic plan like relies on maintaining this extremely high level of labor hours from everyone in the entire population. And it's also based on putting more women into the workforce to expand the size of the workforce, to know, extract more hours so they can all these people can make more money. Right. They were also supposed to do free preschool for all children, and this just like didn't happen, which over and over again they're like, we're gonna do these kind of like these these kind of like okay, we'll give we'll give you some kind of welfare state bullshit, but only in order to like have kids, and it just doesn't happen. And so you know, this is one of Abe's big initiatives. But by the time he's like assassinated in twenty twenty two, he what he was uh bye by time his political coalition was finally detonated, bye by one by one guy with an electric plunderbus.
Speaker 2: My favorite politics.
Speaker 1: Oh god, it's so good. It's so good. We have covered this extensively on the show. If you want to hear the happiest I've ever been during an episode, including the day after Kissinger died, go find the episode I did right after shinz a wha.
Speaker 4: It was assassinated.
Speaker 2: The Holy Trinity of Great days on the internet. Is that big stuck boat and the submarine that killed all those bills?
Speaker 4: Yes, oh it was amazing. Yeah, people said Biden gave us nothing. Bang is on the timeline. Mm hmmm, here you go.
Speaker 1: So all right, shinzowape successor is a guy named Fumio Kishita who lasts for a little bit, and Kishida every single Japanese government announces that they're going to spend like somewhere between twenty and fifteen and twenty billion dollars on pronatalist policies and mostly doesn't happen, but Kishita promises that he is going to spend twenty four and a half billion dollars. A lot of this money is going to be just straight up like child allowance. So Japan has the system that they've been you know, they've been sort of implementing over the course of like all of these fucking reforms, which is just like all right, we're just gonna like hand you cash. It's still not enough money to like substantively change stuff. But there's a lot of different kinds of cash policies. They have cash transfer policies that are just straight up like okay, here, you had a baby we're gonna give you this amount per month. I think it's like ten to fifteen thousand yen which hold on, yeah, so it's like like seventy dollars a month, which is like not. Yeah, they are trying to expense date research on. They're supposed to have these like counselors that like come check in on you and like give you education and stuff. They're also supposed to just like give you a whole bunch of basically like childcare equipment stuff and make sure you're getting medical care. And that's supposed to come out to about like seven hundred dollars ish roughly. You know, this is like the big sort of plan that they're doing. And then in twenty twenty four, Kishita is replaced by like some other dipshit who you know, if he lasts more than like two years, I guess I'll tell you his name. But he's you know, attempting to go back to the sort of childcare side of it, right, which is his plan involves a bunch of things like childcare subsidy and very importantly like tuition free high school. So one of the continuous plans, if you like, if you go back to like what I was talking about with they were supposed to do free preschool for all children, right, that never got implemented except in like the last two years, like Tokyo has started doing it, just like as a city, because Tokyo is one of the places where, like you know, the birth rate has been like dropping the fastest or whatever.
Speaker 4: Sure, I imagine custter living is also really high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cost of living is really high. And it's also just like you know, if you're working in an urban like an extremely urban city, you're working a just hideous number of hours.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's also this these supposed to be these massive like investments in providing childcare and nursing, and you can see these kind of like this this this point where they've reached this desperation point where they're trying both the sort of pro business like okay, fuck, it will pay for your child care and also we will raise taxes to like hand you money and also nursing stuff. And also they're trying to there's like giant carve outs for this, but they're they're they're trying to set up a system where you can get full pay for couples who both take parental leave at the same time. So they're trying everything, right, They're trying like paid childcare. They're trying, fuck it, we'll just pay people to leave the workforce to have children. They're trying just straight up cash transfers. They're trying paying for medical care, especially medical care for disabled kids. And none of this shit has done anything at all, right, like just just absolutely jack shit, right, and and and if you want to look at like, okay, so, like what what's sort of actually happening here?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: A lot some of it is just like over work. Some of it is just if people who can have children have any kind of freedom and autonomy, they just decide not to. And so part of this is also just like and then this has been one of the social pushes that the conservatives have been dealing with, is they've been trying to get people to marry younger, because people are marrying later, and thus they are like, you know, they're having kids later because they're marrying later. So and this is not working at all, right, But you can look at the series of structural contradictions in their political collision, and then you can look at the fact that like, again, one of the important ideological things here is that these people hate immigrants, right, and they don't.
Speaker 4: They don't want immigrants.
Speaker 1: They want they want like Japanese babies, and so this is kind of like if you look at like, Okay, why is not of this shit working?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: They're trying all these things to just avoid having more immigrants in the country, and none of it is fucking working at all. But you know, like, insofar as it's failing, it's mostly they're trying some limited welfare stuff and they're doing a bunch of weird ideological stuff, and it is going to get so much worse when every other country tries this.
Speaker 2: Yeah cool, Well you know what else is gonna get worse totally.
Speaker 4: The Products and Service says, it's simple of this show.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, all right, we're back.
Speaker 4: It's me And predictably, I suppose I am talking about Franco as Spain, so Franti's got Franco attempted to rebuild Spain after Civil War, both through explicit eugenics and through the nationalization of women's bodies, abortion and contraceptual bands. Abortion had been legal, Spain was one of the first countries to do that. Right when federally gon Monceni, anarchist minister made that legal minister of I guess public health that was made illegal. I think it didn't become legally again until about twenty ten. In Spain, abortion and and less it was like a serious health issue, elective abortion. I guess. Franco's military in the Civil War consistently used sexual violence as or weapon, and we can see this as a kind of prelude to his nationalization of birthing bodies. Right, yeah, who is a Francoist general? Right makes a speech in July nineteen thirty six, quote, Our valiant legionnaires and regulades have shown the red cowards what true men are. And they're women as well. This is totally justified because these communists and anarchists anarkate free love. At least now they will know what real men are, not the militia gaze. This is a translation that I'm reading to so people can go to the original document. But gays is not the word he used. A better translation would be a word that begins with f Yeah. Okay, yeah. They will not escape, however much. They kick their legs and scream like this is a general in their army making explicit rape threats. Right, They weren't subtle about this. Yes, the Spanish Falange, which is Spain's fascist party, also had a Cecion Feminina, a women's section. My PhD supervisor Pamela Radcliff is written extensively about this. The group very much served as kind of the Propaganderama state natalist policy. It taught women from a young age they were inferior and you get to men. They had to go through the organization's programs. To do anything, any engagement with the state, they had to first go through the women's section. Right. If they wanted to get a passport, they wanted to get a driving license, if they wanted to engage with the world outside of their homes in any way, they had to go through this program, which indoctrinated them that their highest calling and only value was to have children. Women's role in the Francoist project then, was child bearing a child rearing Francoist I'm going to use intellectuals here in like quotation scare quotes, right, frequently turned to phrenology to justify women's domestic role. They fucking loved a phrenology. Right. It's great to go to antiques markets in Spain because you could always buy like a phrenology head. You can acquire like an og one, you know, like better if you know the replace to let you could find some find the calipers. That's the dream.
Speaker 3: There is actually a lot of those secondhand stores in Portland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shocking hand sclasping me with francoism, and I found a lot of uses for those calibers.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you, no, I mean the phrenology skulls. Oh okay, yeah, yeah, I've seen them all over down Yeah. But I bet you, I bet you are replicas. I bet they're not like o G phrenology skulls.
Speaker 2: There's a market in France im to that just had a bunch of monks skulls, like real real, it seems fine. There was one that had been turned into a holder for a bible, like they'd cut like an L shaped cut in the skull of pretty cool. It was like three grand you make a courtesy for the Qoran. But but like this was a while ago, but seemed like a good prod.
Speaker 3: Just skull Talk, your favorite podcast discussing craniums.
Speaker 4: Yeah, using the discount code, it could happen here. You can get ten percent off the skull Bible holder, Yeah, that's right, Okay. So one of the things they did was to increasingly marginalized midwives and instead like have male doctors taking control of the child birthing pros because midwives would advocate for their patients too much and they didn't feel that women belonged to work outside the home. Right. A big part of Franco's pro natalism was the repudiation of an Arco feminism that had been relatively important to the Spanish Revolution. Right, the anarchists believed in revolutionary marriage and free love. Their follow through on those beliefs varied wildly, right, So we can see that in some collectivized industries, for instance, the unions took on the role they would assign women I guess I was going to say mentors, but apprenticeships, right, So, like they wanted, in for instance, to CNT Transport Union. Once the revolution had happened and the CNT Transport Union had been collectivized, women who wished to be tram drivers or bus drivers could apprentice to men in that position, so that in order to achieve more gender equality within that sphere. Right, this is something that the Franco estate hated. It also had its own kind of unique take on eugenics that that manifested in its pro natalism. Spain couldn't really do the straight racial eugenics right like that, that doesn't really work with Spanish history. But instead they saw leftism as being some kind of genetic defect and something of a pathogen that spread within society. Welcome mind virus. Yeah yeah, yeah, god no, it's it's.
Speaker 3: Pulling from the same type of fascist right.
Speaker 4: It also practiced something called anti Semitism without Jews at this time, so there was a very very small Jewish population space. But nonetheless, Franco was constantly freaking out about Judeo Bolshevism. He saw liberalism, Marxism, anarchism, feminism, Judaism, et cetera as completely antithetical to spanishness, and of course they blame us for their national declient right something little fascists like to talk about. This anti leftist eugenics and proNT extended to something called ninos robalos nenzfostats in Catalan. These children were abducted from their parents. Sometimes this is when their parents were in jail. Sometimes it was when the parents had been killed. Sometimes it was when the mother had been forced into incarceration by something called the Women's Protection Board. This, theoretically run by Franca's wife, was a way of institutionalizing quote unquote fallen women or women who were quote at risk of falling. It provides a way to force any woman you want to into an institution. These children who were taken from their mothers were often trafficked and some cases sold to approve families by nuns and priests. I'm going to quote one example from a BBC article in nineteen seventy one. Manoli, who was twenty three at the time and not long married, gave birth to what she was told with a healthy baby boy, but he was immediately taken away for what were called routine tests. Nine interminable hours passed. Then a nun who was a nurse called in for me that my baby had died. She said they would not let her have her son's body, nor would they tell her when the funeral would be. Some of these clinics went as far as to keep the body of a dead baby in a freezer and they would bring it out to show mothers. They even dug grave for babies, but many of those grave just contained stones or the remains of adults. These babies were then given or sold to other families and raised, and in some cases they lived their whole lives and died without ever knowing who their parents were. Right. I remember, like I was doing my PhD when the initial research into this was being done, And it is fucking horrible for people to find this out, right, like, because the people who were stolen from their families and in many cases are like still alive, right and in most cases their birth ctificately exists with say mother unknown. And that was a process that existed to protect women who have had children outside of marriage, but was also used to steal babies and leave no paper trail. At least in twenty eleven, the BBC confronted one of the doctors who was doing this. It's kind of a wild BBC. I've linked it as an article. There was also like a I guess it's like a podcast, a radio documentary where one of their reporters had recently had a baby so it was able to make an appointment with the obgyn who was stealing these babies, and when she confronted him, he grasped the crucifix and started brandishing it at her. In Jesus, the first incredible country. The reason that they did this right was because their fascism was of a unique kind that was, you know, Paul Preston said that Franco wasn't fascist, you with something worse. They had what's called national Catholicism right, which prevented them from doing sterilization or abortion. So instead they felt that they could steal these children and sort of raise them outside of the leftist kind of pathogen.
Speaker 2: I do love just I'm working on the Salazar episodes right now. I love how often Iberians are like, we're gonna do fascism just but like we're gonna put some spins on it, like how the Portuguese were like, we're gonna do fascism, but with us having sex with absolutely everyone, we're colonizing and trying to make an argument to the fact that like that makes us the good colonizers because of all the sex assaults. We're not racist, guys, It's fine, We're communing.
Speaker 4: God. Iberia Baby Spain is different, as the slogan used to go m was a Francoist tourism slogan back in the day. Yeah, so the discourse, the quote true Catholic womanhood was essential to Francoist nationalization of women. They were raised to serve the patia right, the fatherland, with their bodies, not their minds. In the Republic, Spain had used secular education to fight it's perceived in real backwardness compared to the rest of Europe, the Francoist predictive opposite. It returned for its inspiration to sixteenth century Catholic texts, and they saw intellectual development as a risk to femininity and a risk to the ultimate goal of women's lives, which was motherhood. In terms of I guess birth rates like they did have. You have a post war baby boom rate. You have that everywhere that is affected by a large war, Like you know, there are pretty obvious reasons for this, and then birth rates do go up until like the nineteen seventies, nineteen eighties, and then they start declining rapidly and Spain is once again in like a sort of not so much a birth rate panic. I didn't think, but it is noted that Spanish birth rates have gone down since the nineteen eighties, but nonetheless Spanish birth rates never more particularly high compared to those in the rest of Europe because Franco was an absolutely wrapped up to the economy, right, which made it harder for people to have more children. But yeah, that's what I've got. If you want to read more on Ninio Strobados, I think there's a TV series about it now, Stolen Children. I'm sure you can find it wastitles. But someone made a documentary on this that was presented in academic conference I did, and if I find the link, I will put it in the show notes. Hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think it's time to talk about Romania now. When it comes to who is the worst at doing pro natalism, there's a lot of contenders, but I feel like we got the usane bolt of natalism right here, and it's s chi Jescu regime. So we got to peel back a little bit here and talk about you know, when communism first came to Romania, which was like kind of the end of forty seven, early nineteen forty eight, and in the first years of the communist regime, it brought the same changes that communist governments in Europe all tended to bring in the post war period, obviously earlier for the USSR. And a lot of these are good actually, right, not to deny all the horrible things that were happening. But life changes pretty dramatically in a positive way for a lot of women. This is true in Russia as well. Literacy for women rises, the employment rate for women rises, And this happened across society, right. A lot of the poorest people in these societies experience substantial initial lifts, right. And along with that, lifespan increases pretty dramatically. Rates of accidental death fall pretty dramatically, and literacy increases. And again, it increases across the board, but it is particularly significant for women.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: And this is all lovely, These are good things, right. However, it comes with a problem for a lot of the leaders And this is not just true in Romania, but we're talking about Romania here. It comes with the problem for a lot of the leadership of Romania's Communist Party, which is that one of the things we see in every society when people have more and are doing better and live longer, is that they start having less kids, because, among other things, all their kids aren't dying.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: One reason why birth rates are high is people are like, yeah, well, like the three of them might live, right, you know, I gotta I gotta really pump these numbers up them and have enough kids to keep this fucking farm going, right, And when that stops happening, women are like, well, maybe I don't need to have eleven kids, yeah, right, Like if they're all going to live to adults, I don't need in children to be adults, right, So birth rates start to fall. This freaks out though a lot of these these communists, because the kind of communists who are like leading Romania are very traditional Marxists, right, And Marx was what you call a physiocrat, right, which is a term that I found for the first time in a Journal of Family History article, But it's a term you can find other places. And the basic idea is that and this is an idea that then it goes back to the original Marx. More people equals better economy, right, equals more productivity. So falling fertility is seen as a potential calamity for the state. You know, obviously this isn't how it works, Like the US has had fertility rates falling and like economic prosperity rise in the same period of time. But this is like a thing that they think, right then that like if we don't bump up these birth rates we're going to deal with like an actual economic disaster. So by the time Nikolaichichesku takes over as party leader on June twenty third, nineteen sixty six, the problem is serious enough in his eyes that it had become a crisis and the birth rate had declined pretty precipitously. In nineteen fifty five, there were about twenty five point six life births per thousand people in Romania, and by the time to Chescu takes over, there's about fourteen live births per thousand people. Right now, for reference, both of those are still higher than the US birth rate. Right now, we're at about eleven a little less than eleven live births per thousand people in the country. The only reason why the US population continues to grow is immigration, but that's a topic for another day. Cichescu stated that women needed to use their influence to rebuild the family, and per that article in the Journal of Family History, Cichescu declared that backward attitudes and expressions of levity toward the family must be combated with determination because they result in an increase in the number of divorces in the disintegration of the family. And then the neglect of the children's education and training for life. And this is something that had come alongside the revolution, right that there's a lot of more critical ideas about these traditional concepts like the family in the society that it existed before. And a lot of people are like, well, but you know, we're becoming more scientific, you know, we have like women have jobs. Now, maybe a lot of these attitudes about what the family should be are kind of outdated. And he's saying, no, no, no, no, they're not, they're not you need to go back to having a shitload of kids, right, And he announces a new initiative to increase the population of Romania by thirty percent by nineteen ninety so, which I don't know if the idea that would ever be possible is a long shot.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So that's that's a massive change in society. But Chichescu isn't a logic thinker guy, right, He's not like running the numbers hardcore here. He's just sort of throwing out some shit that sounds good. And so to encourage the shift, he leashes a famous raft of new legislation aimed towards like pro natalism, towards massively increasing the birth rate. The first step is that abortion is banned for nearly all women in the country. There are some exceptions. For example, you can qualify for an abortion if you've had if you already have five children under eighteen in the house concurrently.
Speaker 4: Which is nice.
Speaker 2: There's one or two other exceptions based on your age, but there aren't many exceptions per an article in PubMed. In addition, employed women under age forty five years are required to undergo monthly gynecologic examinations at their workplaces, and any pregnancies detected are monitored to term. Unmarried persons over twenty five years of age and childless married couples without a valid medical reason for infertility are assessed to thirty percent tax on income. Jesus Women who refuse to have children have been termed deserters. Despite official pro natalist policies. It has been estimated that forty percent of the seven hundred thousand Romanian women pregnant in nineteen eighty five had illegal abortions. A special unit has been established within the State Security Police to combat this practice. So we're so close to this, we are we are not They really want to do all of.
Speaker 4: This we're like knocking on the door.
Speaker 2: They are like that is the thing that I really want to drive home is that the closest that I have found in all of my rings, the closest direct graph to what guys like Vance and Musk are suggesting for US policy is Romania.
Speaker 4: Like and it's also the worst that has ever worked. When I was a lot younger, Like when I was sixteen, I volunteered in an orphanage venure diverting kids in Romania. Jesus fucking Christ. Well, I mean they created a culture of child abandonment, right, Like, yes, yeah, we'll be talking about that. That shit fucked me up, And yeah, you shouldn't send your sixteen year old children to do that, to be kod, but like.
Speaker 2: No, and you're you're encountering it after the worst of it too, which we'll talk about here, not to minimize the experience, but we'll be discussing where it was at its worst. So it's worth noting that while women did start working at a higher rate after Communist takeover, that started to plateau by the time that Chicheski, because obviously, like there was still a lot of Communism doesn't get rid of men being shitty to women, right, it does do things do get a lot better.
Speaker 1: Right, sometimes it empowers shit And at.
Speaker 2: The start, like kind of right around when he announces the set of fertility laws, he does try to institute a policy with the goal of increasing the number of women working at high positions in different state departments. Right, there is an initial like we're going to break the grant glass ceiling kind of thing, but that doesn't last long. He basically cancels any sort of messaging or work on the policy. After his wife, Elena, is made a member of the party executive committee. He's like, women have gone fired up. Look at my wife. Classic chichesku. Yes, classic guy who's going to die with his wife in a basement. So, as is always the case with shit like this, women were not equally impacted by the abortion ban.
Speaker 4: Largely.
Speaker 2: The impacts were pretty wildly divergent based on your level of wealth and social class. And I'm going to quote from an investigation by the NGO Helsinki Watch, who conducted a deep investigation into all of this immediately after the regime fell. Women were not equally affected by the pro natalist pos policies. Members of the urban middle class managed somehow or another to get contraceptives on the black market. Oh I should also know contraceptives were basically made illegal, with the exception of like condoms. They could also obtain medical abortions. A Bucharest student candidly informed Helsinki Watch that several years ago, when his girlfriend became pregnant, the abortion had cost him five thousand lay or about fifty dollars on the black market, and several women with professional degrees reported matter of factly that they had simply refused to cooperate with government gynecological inspectors who came to their institutes without suffering any reprisals. Nor were the most rural segments of the population deeply affected. The Orthodox Christians had long shunned birth control and abortion, and others like the ROMA had not practiced it. The brunt of the policy fell on the lower middle class, particularly factory workers, single women, urban ROMA, and those from disorganized or troubled families, none of whom had the money or connections to circumvent the regulations. Their options were as limited as they were life threatening. Some used a variety of would be aborta fascians. Others availed themselves of the services of a back alley abortionist. Still others carried to term and the number of deaths, the mortality rate for women as a result of this did right, Like, there's a lot of hideous stuff there. We're kind of doing the shortest version of this, But I don't mean to paper over that a lot of women died and suffered lasting injury in fertility and a number of other things because of different back alley abortions and weird drugs that they were given.
Speaker 4: But it's important to.
Speaker 2: Note that women who had money and opposition in the social class could still gain access to this shit. And that's how it will work here too, right, Like, these Republican congressmen will not be restricting their family members from having access to this stuff.
Speaker 4: They'll be restricting poor people. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, the first thing I should know about this whole raft of policies Toichescu introduced is that they did not work. That Journal of Family History article that I've quoted from a couple of times. Here ran the numbers to try to analyze how well did this, like, how did these policies correspond to birth rates in Romania? And it is true that after the first major laws were pushed in sixty seven and sixty eight. There was a brief surge in birth rates, but that very quickly and had completely disappeared. By the nineteen seventies, things were back to baseline. So in nineteen seventy four, Toichescu launches another push to increase birth rates, and again they briefly increase and then fall a year or two later. This process plays out a couple times throughout the administration, and one of the things that's important to note is that the increase that happens after every new sort of like focus on birth rates is less each time, Right, it gets less effective every time. Now, the analysis in that paper concluded the birth rate would only rise when the state applied direct pressures on the population. Otherwise it dropped, right, because this just doesn't work, Like, you're not fundamentally changing anything, and none of these incentives because they're expensive, and in Romania's case, the country literally didn't have money to provide much of the way of incentives, right, but they never are going to work. Like, as we went over earlier, the ones being proposed here are wildly insufficient to deal with the cost of having kids, let alone a bunch of fucking kids, and none of the people in charge of the Republican Party have any interest in making life affordable for people who are not rich.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: The situation that this led to by the time that Chicheske regime fell in eighty nine was also pretty catastrophic because there had been surges in births, right, in births of kids to parents who because the people who can't get away from this tend to be the poor, could not take care of these kids right. And there was also a surge in kids as a result of the general surge in birth rate, but also as a result of different sort of issues with nutrition and whatnot. In Romania, a lot of kids who had different physical and mental disabilities right who were just abandoned straight away because their parents could not take care of them. By nineteen ninety there were an estimated one hundred and thirty thousand children in orphanages and homes for the handicapped, these institutions that had been set up in Romania, And there were like posters that were going around that were part of the pro natalist campaign that basically said, hey, if you have a kid you can't take care of or that's not like working out for you. The Romanian government can handle it better than you, So like, who cares have another kid and we'll just drop it off with us if you can't take care of them, right Like that was literally part of the propaganda campaign that led to again like one hundred and thirty thousand kids in orphanages.
Speaker 1: Oohar fucking Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that hell sinky article I found quoted from a different piece of western news media, like a team of journalists that went to a town called the dell lefter Chichescu fell. And this is how that article opens. On the second floor of the state run institution. Here, dazed toddlers liars sit in iron cribs and close stuffy rooms. Their foreheads are speckled with flies and with scabs and bruises that come from banging their heads and mouths on crib rails. Some cry, but most are silent and appear bewildered behind their bars, with the doomed air of laboratory animals down the hall. Other cribs hold smaller children, pale skeletons, suffering from malnutrition and disease. Despite the heat of the day, several of the children are wrapped in dirty blankets from one still bundle, only a bluish patch of scalp is visible. Ask if the child inside is alive and orderly, says, of course and pulls back the covers. The tiny skeleton stirves turned onto its and groans, Yeah.
Speaker 4: There's worse.
Speaker 2: This is not the worst like this like Helsinki article goes into like how in the homes for the handicapped, the children are just ignored. They can go months without any real human contact within the bare men of being fed. There's no one watching these kids like this is some of the most cruelest and most hideous systematic abuse of children I've ever heard of.
Speaker 4: A lot of children die.
Speaker 2: AIDS spreads through some of these facilities like wildfire. I really cannot exaggerate like the horror of these institutions. If you do want to read more, there's two articles I'll recommend for you that I'm not going to quote up from now because we're already going long enough. But there's the Romanian Orphans are Adults Now, an article in the Atlantic that's the title. You should check that out, and then Chichescu's Children and The Guardian. Both of those articles do a good job of providing additional context and horror on this, But I think it's important to note that what happened in Romania is what sounds most familiar to the programs being pushed today and also easily the worst this has ever got.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, especially combined with like RFK Junior's policies. Yeah, that is like, yeah, yeah, it takes a lot for me to be like kind of shocked and horrified these days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that stuff is grim. It's some of the worst shit. Yeah. Yeah, oh boy, I remember that the time, there was like concern if the kids were really nonverbal, yeah, like or they just had never been talked to. Oh my god, because right, they've been institutionalized from such a year Like I was there probably about twelve years after the end of the regimes, so that these kids were in their teens, I guess, oh my god. Yeah, I remember teaching little kids to ride bikes who like had never really been able to play outside very much, and it was fucking yeah. Yeah, that shit will fuck you up. Yeah, that's a good museum. I'll see if I can find bradio Is, because if they've maintained one of the old orphanmagic as it was like with the eye and cribs and shit, and they have like projections on the walls the kids rocking and banging their heads someone had filmed. Yeah, that shit is disturbing. Like I uh, I wouldn't read any of those articles before getting to bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, this has been it could happen here.
Speaker 3: All right, bye, this is it could happen here. Executive Disorder our weekly news class covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis today, joined by Mia Wong, Jamestowte, and Robert Evans. Yes, Taco Trump sweeps the nation, Musk is out with Steve Miller's wife, Liberation Day, tariffs or fought in court. This episode covering the week of May twenty eighth to June four.
Speaker 2: So much good stuff this week also a terrorist attack not good. But before we get into that, I want to let you guys know I watched the movie Mountainhead, and then I had a dream starring all of you in the movie mountain Head, and it went a lot better since we were just skiing and enjoying the woods.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 2: I didn't know nobody launched an AI that destroyed civilization. Steve Carell wasn't there. Actually, I wouldn't mind hanging out with Steve Carell, but not the Steve Carrell from that movie anyway. Interesting movie.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, interesting dream too, bet it sounds of it. Wow.
Speaker 1: Thanks for that that quick Robert film review.
Speaker 4: Thanks for sharing, Bud. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess side piece of news that we weren't focusing on like much today, but we will do a piece on in the future is Trump has coud a deal with Palenteer to create an extensive new database that compiles information on everybody in the country. This covers bank number, is student debt, medical claims, disability status. I think this summer myself for a few other people on this episode. Well, we'll work together on an episode just about surveillance, like Flock, Gideon Foundry. These these surveillance systems that are getting like spread all across the country. So we will do a whole episode on that in the future. But let's start with that and then pivots to Robert Evans to discuss terrorism.
Speaker 2: I hardly know herorism. Someone else should continue the episode now, No, this.
Speaker 4: Is your this is your going back. Sorry, that was a perfect segue nobody's bailing you out of this ship. We're fine.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, all right, pull let me pull up the right the proper doc because I did this on my Chescu doc because we recorded both of those episodes today.
Speaker 4: What a hotwarming day you've had, Robot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, chi Chescu, a guy fire bombing, a rally in Denver. It's it's all been really good stuff. Yeah, mostly mostly chill.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 2: So on June second, there was a rally in Boulder, Colorado for a group that was protesting for hostages that were taken by Hamas on October seventh. There's like, I think fifty somewhere around fifty who are still unaccounted for for varying reasons. And that was that was what approach was for. And there was like there was like a gathering and they were supposed to be doing like a run, right in order to raise awareness about the hostages.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So that's that's the event that happened on the second and a man approached during that gathering, Mohammed Sabri Soloman, and he started throwing molotov cocktails. Every story I have gives slightly different numbers for how many molotovs he had prepared and how many he had when he was taken. Like an AP news story said that he had sixteen unused molotovs that were covered by law enforcement after the attack, but I think CNN said fourteen, Yeah, fourteen unlit molotovs, So it's kind of clear to be.
Speaker 4: How many they were.
Speaker 2: But he threw a number of these at the group of demonstrators. He also had what's described in most of the articles I find as an improvised flamethrower. And so you know, when I heard that, my first question was, like a makeshift flamethrower.
Speaker 4: Sorry, it was the exact term the police used.
Speaker 2: And when I first heard that, I was like, well, that could mean a lot of things they could literally just do. Like he had like a cand of like spray that's that's flammable that he like looked a lighter.
Speaker 4: Up to it have link steeredrow.
Speaker 2: No, it was apparently like a fertilizer or pesticide sprayer type deal that he had fuel in. Right, So it actually was a makeshift flamethrower he was attempting, but he did not use it on the demonstrators. He did burn himself pretty badly. He had like body armor on that he took off after he like, basically what seems to have happened is he throws something like half a dozen firebombs at this crowd, and he injures a number of people, several of them quite severely. There's at least last I checked, six people who are still in the hospital, one in critical condition, although that may have changed since we recorded this podcast. The victims who were wounded range in age from fifty two to eighty eight. And yeah, so he hurts a number of people with these molotops, and then the way he described it, he like felt like he couldn't continue going through with the attack. He had been planning this thing for more than a year, we know, or at least that's what he claimed. And he basically said that, like, yeah, once I actually started it, I found it very difficult to continue. So it seems like he kind of like didn't go as far with this thing as he could have, because it turns out, lighting people on fire, even when you're very angry, is something that most people cannot bring themselves to do past a certain point. He is on video screaming Palestinas free, and he stated to the authorities that when he'd been planning this for a year. His goal was to kill Zionists. So you know, this is very it's very clear, like what this is motivated by, right, Like what his motivation was. His background is interesting. I guess you'd say he and his family come from Egypt, and yeah, he attended like high school in Egypt and later moved to Kuwait. He has a history of like it seems like he kind of got politically active during the Arab Spring. He posted a bunch of pictures of Mohammed Morsey, the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood who served as Egypt's president from twenty twelve to twenty thirteen. He protested against the military coup that removed Morsey from power, and he and his family entered the United States in August of twenty twenty two as a non immigrant visitor, and in twenty twenty three he received a two year work authorization, which expired in March. He had tried to come to the US in two thousand and five. His primary goal in coming here in twenty twenty two was to get his daughter, primarily into a good medical school. He moved there with his wife and his kids. His daughter was on the process of graduating. They had been living in Kuwait, but for a variety of weak reasons, especially the fact that they were not st She was like, I'm not going to be able to go into medicine in Kuwait. His daughter seems to be a very gifted medical student, and so they moved here and she got into a medical school. And in fact, he seems to have waited to carry out his attack until her graduation, like he wanted her to be started on her path to becoming a doctor before he carried out this attack. I think, both in the hope that it would protect her and she wouldn't get forced out of the country, which we'll talk about in a little bit, and I think probably just because easier to dad and he wanted to see her graduate, right. But then he carries out this attack. His family does not seem to have known. He basically left some messages for them as he left to carry it out. His wife took his phone into the authorities, which I read as her being like, I'm at this point trying to do whatever I can to make the government less likely to prosecute the rest of my family. Like he's a writer, right, Like he like like I can't be concerned about him. Right, I've got kids, you know.
Speaker 4: Like potential trying to stop anything else happening. If he was you know, like maybe he had other people who'd been playing this with who are planning other things.
Speaker 2: Right, she doesn't know did he build a bomb?
Speaker 4: Right, she has no idea. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I should also note here that when he was planning this attack, he initially planned to do a shooting. He took a concealed carry class, or at least he told investigators he took a concealed carry class.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: He could be lying about some of this. This is what the police are reported.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he took a concealed carry class. But he was not able to buy a gun. The AP News article says was denied because he's not a legal US citizen. You don't have to be a citizen to buy a gun. Yeah, that's not correct, But you do have to be in the country legally, right, Like you do not have to be a citizen to purchase guns in this country, but you do have to be illegal.
Speaker 4: I think you have to be a resident, like certain visa categories. There's a number of ways to get a gun.
Speaker 2: Whim not a citizen, but he was not able to yeah, and thank goodness, right, Like it's horrifying, Like obviously burning people is horrifying. Like the injuries that these people suffered are pretty are deeply like there's no pleasant burn injury.
Speaker 4: But people would have.
Speaker 2: Just died if he'd shot them, right, Like, Yeah, that's just the reality of the situation.
Speaker 4: That's already happened in Boulder once, like Bulder had a mass shooting at a supermarket right now, so long ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's the that's that's the bones of what happened here now.
Speaker 3: I mean, having this like less than a week after the Embassy shooting is pretty notable.
Speaker 4: Not great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaks to the contagion way these kinds of things spread.
Speaker 4: Right exactly.
Speaker 3: Mean las last week we talked about how like this displays into like media that only benefits the actions at Israel's continuing to take and how much a media attention was going towards the shooting and like the immediate aftermath. And something that I found a little bit interesting is how fast that story kind of went away, which which I wasn't really expecting. I thought it would it would they would be you know, relevant for a little bit longer. People try to keep it relevant for a little bit longer. I think part of the reason why maybe it went away faster than what we thought is so that it would not encourage like copycat attacks, and that still seems to happen to a degree. And I mean it's sounds like this guy was planning something for a little bit long, yess. But certainly having that other shooting in a close time proximity is notable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the unfortunate reality is that, like, I'm sure there's someone else, multiple other people who have been planning for different periods of time, other kinds of attacks, and we will continue to see stuff like this happen.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Some of this is when something as terrible as the jatocide happening in Gaza is happening on a small screen in front of your face, and you are consuming hours of the curated worst footage of it every day. People are going to react, and they're not always going to react in the most like thoughtful way. Sometimes they're going to make a bunch of fucking fire bombs and attack a group of people who there's not really any argument that these particular groups of people.
Speaker 4: Had any at any influence, any any material consequence.
Speaker 2: Any power in the Israeli government, but.
Speaker 4: One of them's a Holocaust survivor, and.
Speaker 2: People are going to take irrational, terrible action that's just going to happen, you know, breaks people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of prolonged vicarious trauma especially is not good for you.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of this loan Wolf attack is almost a way that people like cope with themselves after watching this thing unfold on your screen, right, and then as a response.
Speaker 2: I have to do something, is what he said, right, Like, I'm never gonna be able to live with myself.
Speaker 4: I do something.
Speaker 3: And then as a response, you use the violence of a gun to carve your name into history.
Speaker 4: And yeah, as someone who did something, I did something. Yeah, this is this is something and you know it's.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's bad, like it just has it's just some number of people. This is how they're they're going to react, and to an extent I don't know, I don't know how you seek to stop this. You know, the authorities have have like confirmed this guy was not on anyone's watch list. I'm sure neither will the next guy or gal who does something right like this is the world quite quite frankly, this is in part the world the Internet has made, right, Yeah, not that, not that it would be good if horrifying footage of the genocide and Gaza wasn't getting out to people. But like, this isn't the first time we have watched a series of attacks carried out and copy attacks and copycat attacks like carried out and spread as a result of things that are spreading in digital media, right, Like this is a This is like a thing that's happened over and over again. This is just kind of how the internet and radical violence works well.
Speaker 1: And it's one of those things where like, you know, there is a clear way to end the violence, which is to end the genocide, which is the other benefit of ending the genocide. But these people have no interest in that.
Speaker 2: No, these people, and I don't I don't know how to write like like like I don't like if you're asking, like, well, how do we end the genocide? Where like I guess you could get the entire international community to stop trading or selling weapons to Israel and also blockade the country, but like, well, then how do we do that?
Speaker 4: They're not god a right, Like I can't I can't make them.
Speaker 2: I can't make the US shoot down Israeli missiles or aircraft, Like I don't have the ability to like yell our government into doing that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's how do you write as a person potentially a person who's isolating. I don't know, man, If this person isn't part of a community, right, I hasn't found community? Like processing that trauma and feeling like you have to do something, some people's brains will break in a way that leads to violence. Yeah, I want to talk about state violence now, if that's okay, because I think, look, what he did was fucked up and wrong, and no one should obviously be firebombing Holocaust survival. I think that's something we can agree on. What has happened to his family is also wrong, right, like it you shouldn't be punished for being related to someone who did a bad thing. And oh god, and this is yeah, this is also horrifying. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whole thing is a story of like collateral damage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the White House on four twelve PM on the third of June, tweeted zeated just In Colon the wife and five children of illegal alien Mohammed Solomon, the suspect in the anti Semitic fire bombing of Jewish Americans have been captured, captured and are now in ice custody for expedited removal. Next part is in block capitals. They could be deported as early as tonight. This is heartbreaking, right again, Like we've talked about habeas before, but the foundation of everything that legal systems based on English common law hold is you have to have evidence that the person did something wrong, not that they're related to the person who did something wrong. Right. You know, Robert and I are both intimately familiar at least you know. I've received calls from young people in Burma who we've interviewed, whose families have been captured because of their participation in the revolution, and like, yeah, this is not a part of you. I should be going down. I want to explain very briefly what expedited removal is, because I have seen some shit that suggests maybe folks don't understand it. That's fine, It's complicated. So expetitive removal is supposed to be reserved for people who arrive at a land border port of entry or EWI. EWIE is an acronym entering without inspection that means entering between imports of entry right over the wall. Under the wall over the beach. What have you? Right entering without going through a port of entry and they're supposed to have been here for less than two years. The Trump administration has been massively expanding the use of expected to removal recently. Why they're doing this is because in an expected to removal proceeding, lower level immigration officials can remove people without them seeing a judge. Those people can still make a credible fear claim, which has to be assessed by an asylum officer and then approved by a judge. But this is a lot harder right than then going through the asylum process, and they have to prove beyond reasonable doubt. I guess I think it's a reasonable fear frame. I think incredible fear is a highest standard for another removal praceeding that they are likely to be tortured by the government or with the acquiescence of their government if they're sent home. Right, its use had previously peaked with one hundred and ninety seven cases in twenty thirteen that was under a Bama right and surprisingly didn't see people writing about it. Then it was used even more extensively by the Biden administration, especially in twenty twenty four, with Biden passed his asylum ban right by executive order. The first Trump administration did use it. They used it in a more broad range of cases, but they didn't use it in as many cases as either the Obama or the Biden administration. Right expertited removal is supposed to be for the most serious cases, for things where the person is a threat or a danger, or for other reasons need to be removed quickly. It was never designed. It was passed in I think in the early two thousands to first decade of this century. It was never supposed to be used like this, right, Robert, you mentioned these people had entered the United States in twenty twenty three, I think.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty two, and then he got a visa two year visa to work. In twenty twenty three, the entered on a tourist visa.
Speaker 4: Essentially, Yeah, they're not within that two year window. Right to the extent that that matters, I don't know. So they will now, having done nothing wrong in the case of his wife, having attempted to cooperate with law enforcement to stop her husband or anyone with him hurting anyone else, they will be detained in the nice detention center. They will have to make a claim of credible fear right. They will have to say it is dangerous for you to send us back. I presume that citizenship is Egyptian, so I presume they will be sent there. That's a very high hurdle for them to clear. And I mean, I'm sure that there are national immigration nonprofits who are willing to fight their case because the abuse of expert to removal in the last two years, to be very clear, by dedministration as well, has seriously undermined the due process rights of migrants. But this is still a further step, at a significant step in removing those So I'm going to follow this case. I'm sure i'll update you on it next week. I also just want to note that this has dominated a news cycle. Yesterday, twenty seven people were killed in Gaza attempting to obtain humanitarian aid. The IDF is still denying that. I don't really care that the Red Cross, as well as health authorities in gard they have confound that twenty seven people were killed en route to one of the humanitarians or the humanitarian aid distribution point where they've concentrated it. In the sudden end of the Guard the Trip. We will have an episode on Palestine next week. I don't want one person's kind of stupid action to overshadow the killing of many more people and that tragic loss of life. Right so, I don't think that we won't be covering that. We will. What we will also be doing is pivoting to advertisements right now.
Speaker 9: That's right, baby, Let me let me maybe get up my guacamole.
Speaker 4: Fucking algorithms of it?
Speaker 1: How could it becomes a joker?
Speaker 4: Is that the pivot to the Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, oh god, okay, let's let's talk about Taco Trump.
Speaker 3: Who oh yeah, finally, finally, get out your hot, get out your block, let's go Taco Trump party.
Speaker 4: If you're doing getting full DNC style, pick a slightly racist Mexican costume or somethink I guess, like so many many.
Speaker 1: Years ago, I was, I was a professional StarCraft two fan, and this meant that I was exposed a gunguan style a full two weeks before everyone else. And this was my experience with Taco because I started hearing this from like financial news outlets, and like my friend Vicky was sending me things. They're like, yeah, they came up with this thing, they're calling it taco, and then like four days later, all of the like regular news outlet's caught up to it. And I didn't want to say ship in the nation.
Speaker 4: May I liked it before it was cool.
Speaker 1: So Taco is this like unbelievable delusion that the finance people have had to like like program into their brains in order to like keep themselves from believing their own eyes about what's happening with the economy. So Taco stands for Trump always chickens out. And it's these people's belief that Trump will like always inevitably in the end back.
Speaker 4: Down from the terrace.
Speaker 1: And I've been seeing this a lot, right, Like I'm seeing this some people who are like who's analysis I respect? Who are talking about how like, yeah, the structural conditions of the economy are saus the Trump will always be forced to like roll the terariffs back. And then it's like, okay, like the fifty percent deal tariff, what did you affect like today?
Speaker 3: Right Like I I don't know, I'm gonna get some kumi. Oh, I'm gonna get some coriander. We're gonna mix that up.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Yo, this is a financial thing, right, This is the thing that like all the day traders like have to convince themselves in order to keep the stock marketing going.
Speaker 4: Yeah that like, no, no, no, it's gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: This is a magic spell that's being like waved over the economy to keep it kind of holding together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like, whooh, it's gonna be fine. Ignore the thirty percent tariffs, So all Chinese goods, ignore the terriffs of the Yeah, fifty percent steel turf.
Speaker 2: Today, you might say, these economists are saying to Reef, we don't like it.
Speaker 10: Sorry, locking jazz bomb, rocket jazz Bot, Sorry, locking, locking jazz bomb, rocky jazz Bob.
Speaker 2: God, we had to make up for it. Garrison wouldn't let us last time.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know the royalties are getting too much.
Speaker 3: I took an entire week's pay cut so that we could pay back the royalty.
Speaker 2: Now, now, the good news is everybody we did manage to work out a new healthcare plan for everybody. It is the next time you need to go to a doctor, there will be an unmarked car with a loaded thirty eight special in the glove box. So it is a step up from United Healthcare. We we've actually significantly improved things, that's true.
Speaker 4: And I'm actually taking to pay for a year so we can do a a white riot, which is just white genocide. It's about the genocide of the of the ball people.
Speaker 1: Real and so okay, speaking of United Health one of these tarriffs that all these people have convinced themselves is not going to happen is the pharmaceutical tariffs, which are still like coming, right. But what sort of happened with this taco shit, right is the Democrats were like, Okay, I have found a way to criticize Trump.
Speaker 4: That is racist. They're all just calling him like that.
Speaker 3: Also does it actually critique his policies like they're they're calling him taco and Trump in relation to like the negotiations with Iran.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, shit that he should chicken out of it. It's good if he doesn't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Like I'm watching them do like like fucking Chuck Schumer is out here tweeting about how Biden deported more people than Trump did, and like the thing that this reminds me of the most is like the Chavez era of Venezuelan opposition, where every single year they would haul some dipshit out and their platform was like I'm gonna do Travizel better than and every single year they would lose by forty points. And it's like the Democrats are like those guys, those people are real fucking winners. We're going to adopt every single one of his platforms and then we're gonna run on he's not doing it well enough, and then we're gonna get fucking annihilated in every single election until like democratic process itself simply ceases to exist and this will be good.
Speaker 4: For us somehow. This is just it's pure cope.
Speaker 1: Like the entire our entire economy is being supported by the just collective delusion that these people have built. But they fucked up right. And the thing about Taco and think I remember from like the first time I heard about this, it was like, if this gets out, these people are fucked because Trump is going to see this and it is going to piss him off and he's going to like like now that it's like the democratic thing, it's like no, no, no, Like the next the next series of terrorists is scheduled to come off. Is I'm pretty sure that China won in like the beginning of July could have.
Speaker 4: The math wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I hate math, I prob but I'm pretty sure that's the next one.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's this is the thing that I'm still like questioning about, and like we've talked talk abouts before, is like one of those thirty d deadlines for tariffs on Canada and Mexico expired. Yeah, he just forgot about that one and no one was keeping count or they were like distracted, like I think specifically they were putting in some like European Union like tariffs like like that day and then just nothing like happy Yeah, And like I am wondering how much of that is, Like he's just gonna announce tariffs, put them on hold, and then just forget about them, but still announce new different tariffs in the future that may cover some of the same stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, so here's the thing. Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I some of these you remember, something doesn't because so so the steel tariff doubled from twenty five to fifty, right, and that one of the.
Speaker 4: Rolling date ones.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think it's it's like there are some that he like cares about and there are some that he kind of doesn't.
Speaker 3: I mean I feel the same way when I'm getting tacos like pork tacos, No, thank you, fish tacos.
Speaker 4: Maybe I don't. I don't endor Scarceon's opinion on tacos.
Speaker 1: This, this taco Trump shit is like I long for the days of orn Man bad dr was better than this. This is this is the worst it's ever been, Like, oh god, get give me comedians cutting his head off live on stage again, Like sure.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was fine.
Speaker 1: This is just like, what what are we doing here?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's really tough because cilantro prices are gonna spike to these tariffs too, so I mean we can't even call them talk about.
Speaker 2: It's okay, you know, Garrett Garrison, that's actually just good politics, right because some people have some people have a disability where they can't test taste cilantro.
Speaker 4: Not a disability.
Speaker 3: Associated with pre statements. I will not be canceled by this. I do not buy the cilantro gene. I don't think it's real.
Speaker 1: But you don't think the cilantro Oh my god, Okay, Okay, I don't think.
Speaker 4: It's a gene.
Speaker 2: It's just I don't think people without the cilant with the cilantro tastes bad gene. I don't know if we'd call them people right, if it tastes like soapid.
Speaker 4: I just don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Talk talks with China have been breaking down. Both sides have been in each other of violating the agreement they had come to to roll the tariffs back, which they'd like both have. I believe both sides on that. Actually, Yeah, and again this comes to like the actual fundamental structural problem of this, which is that and I think this is why a lot of people think that everything will sort of eventually go back to normal and I'll try to just sort of like bluster like I did the first time. Is that like, Okay, again, Trump's actual goal here, which is to not have a trade deficit with China, is unachievable, right, There's nothing that can actually be done in order to do that, and there's no good way to claim victory either.
Speaker 4: And so what we're sort of escalating.
Speaker 1: Towards is July, like the one hundred and thirty percent of teriff sort of like coming coming.
Speaker 4: Back into effect.
Speaker 1: So people are building up I think this, like I don't know the sort of like psychological wall to the fact that this could happen again, and the fact that like these negotiations are breaking down, I think is just making it increasingly likely that it is just going.
Speaker 4: To explode again.
Speaker 1: The steel tariffs also are just a shit show for a whole bunch of different manufacturing sectors. It's very bad for US auto industry. There's already been a report on the effect of twenty five percent steel tariff has had on like on the construction industry. This has been tied into sort of like, oh yeah, the US is like not replenishing its housing stock because you.
Speaker 4: Know, but it's it's fucked.
Speaker 1: It's real bad. I don't I don't have a I don't know. I don't have a better thing to say about it than that, and that it's going to continue to get worse and at some points, probably the taco is going to be fucking over and people are going to realize that he's going to do this, and especially now they just pissed him off.
Speaker 4: Oh god, yeah, well what will they do then with their giant inflatable chicken.
Speaker 1: This is this is.
Speaker 4: The biggest limbrain stuff I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: I am I am living in a world where like a group chat that I make on signal when I was a manic last year has had more policy effect on like like preserving trans healthcare in that fucking budget build in the entire Democratic Party and they are spending their money fucking like holding out chicken, fucking chicken inflatable.
Speaker 2: Now, don't don't listen to me a Democrats. For just twenty million dollars, I will guarantee you the youth vote. Not a guarantee.
Speaker 3: I propose that we renamed this segment from tariff talk to Mia Molay the next I don't know twenty.
Speaker 2: Episots garrison as a Canadian?
Speaker 4: Are you allowed to use that word?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go on to that break.
Speaker 3: Before I lose my job. Okay, we are back. James stout me. What's been going on?
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, James, it's Thursday night here and I'm just recording a little pickup to update you that the Trump administration has issued another travel ban. This travel ban bans travel or bans all new visas for people from twelve countries. One of those is Myanmar, and travelers further restricted for seven other countries. There are exemptions people who are already in the country with a valid visa. There are exemptions for Afghan people have an SIV especial immigrant visa. There are other smaller exemptions for the Olympic Games and sporting events for example. We will do a whole episode on this because we need longer than we have to explain it. But I just wanted to make people aware that we are tracking that, planning on getting something out about it, but we don't have enough space in this episode or time to edit to address it in full. Today, Well, some things have been happening Garrison here in sunny San Diego.
Speaker 1: With from what I hear actually great tagos.
Speaker 4: Yes, tacos are actually very good in San Diego. Yes, oh, excellent tacos. Some of the best tacos in southern California. Which you saying something, Come and visit us, eat our tacos.
Speaker 2: Across the border, get some extended release Mexican tramadol. Let me know where you were anyway, continued jam.
Speaker 4: Or tacos whatever you want to want to get across the border. So ICE agents raided Buonafortetta, which is pizza place in South Park. I used to stay like just above here. I would get late night pizza there all the time when my job was riding my bike and my hobby was drinking at Hamilton's Rip, which was a craft bn next door. In this bungled raid, they entered drin in a late afternoon and the evening of Friday, and ice agents soon found themselves surrounded by an angry crowd at local people, patrons from the Vegan Small Plates cocktail place across the across the street, and the brewery it's now South Park Brewing, as well as folks from the neighborhood. Right, this is one of those neighborhoods that like South Park of the concept was kind of invented by real estate agents so that it wouldn't seem like Golden Hill or Bankers Hill, and it would have like a more upmarket branding. So you have these very nice bars and restaurants, but then you also have like a laundromaut on the corner, and like a like a food market, like a non chain supermarket that serves a primarily Latino clan tel. I would imagine it's one of these very sort of like class diverse neighborhoods, I guess. But people came out en mass. They surrounded these vehicles right, they were chanting let them go. ITTSI agents decided to defuse the situation by throwing flash banks and then leaving with four employees. I should add here that, as KPBS put it, quote, flashbanks were thrown, which is a cowardly use of the passive voice to obscure culpability.
Speaker 3: I think flash bangs spontaneously were deployed, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, who can say, Garrison, maybe the people at the Death Metal Vegan restaurant bought the flash bangs.
Speaker 3: Well, and I also do want to say I have gotten word from some exclusive sources that these were actually secret militia members asperating as ICE agents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's just fucking address it because it's very silly.
Speaker 2: The understandable degree of it is that like.
Speaker 4: They are dressing like Proud Voice.
Speaker 2: They look exactly like Proud Boys in Portland in twenty nineteen, right, Like they are indistinguishable visually.
Speaker 3: Their uniform standards have like kind of gone away. They seem like they don't have standards anymore. Yes, and now they are just dressing like how Proud Voices and three Percenters used to dress.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, like I think this kind of conspiracy theory stems from the initial MISI identification of the ginger ice agent who smashed someone's window as Michael Meyer a ka Lewis Arthur, who's the one of the veterans on patrol leaders. He was live streaming in Oklahoma at the time that that rate happened. It's not him, Yeah, it's just two people who are ginger that that is possible that there are lots of them. Then I've seen this in multiple other cases, often from the kind of more lib sky people you see on Blue Sky right, who seem unable to comprehend the fact that no, they are cops and they are doing evil and cops do evil shit, cops can do bad things.
Speaker 3: And now, yeah, cops are more likely, especially immigration officers, do not have their names on their kit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's something that we saw like in Portland and twenty twenty and it was incredibly worrying. And now it's spreading all around the entire country to the point where most most like people enacting these raids are both hiding their identities and also obscuring what agencies they are actually like from, which is why people are like concerned that you like, what if these guys aren't even from the government. What if these are just like some kind of right wing militia, And yeah, with a little bit of checking you can usually tell that they are in fact from usually dhs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the California one was somewhat ridiculous, right, There is not an exemption to the California assault weapons ban for militias. These guys had guns, which would have been about four felonies each. Yees saying people don't do felony things they do, but you'd have to be a bit of a tool to just stand on the street with your felony select fire MPX.
Speaker 2: Part of this is a very and a lot of leftists fell for this too, But this is fundament mentally rooted in a liberal delusion, which is that the danger is unaccountable groups of civilians with guns, not the police.
Speaker 4: The danger is the cops. The danger has always been the cops. Yes, we need to push back on this, right, Like the prow Boys are not like the be all and end all of eve when I'm but they're.
Speaker 2: That's sure, of course, I've like, I've had my hand broken by one. I don't like them, but I'm not as scared of them as I am of just the cops like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we need to push back on this because it fundamentally misidentifies the problem. And until these people wake up and realize that they're they'll going to respond in the correct manner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, like, you know, one of the things that you can point out here is is like, yeah, there were a bunch of police in Nazi Germany, and the moment that they started carrying out the orders of the Nazi government, they became Nazis.
Speaker 4: Like that's that's.
Speaker 1: Just how this works, right, You'll get a pull a like, oh, I was just a whimart police guy, just enforcing the laws of the of the Nazi government. It's like, okay, you are, sir, you are a Nazi, and you are a Nazi because you are an agent of the Nazi state, not because you were like you know, you were like necessarily in some perimilitary or whatever, like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a member of the party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that that's what happens when you work for a fascist state. So you're now a fascist.
Speaker 4: So in documents I've reviewed, I claimed that nineteen employees at a restaurant were using falsified green cards. They were acting on a tip from November twenty twenty and then they received a follow up tip in late January twenty twenty five. The tip claim that many of the staff at Buonaforta Jetta were undocumented, that the owner made them work long shifts and verbally abused them. I have seen no evidence that this is true beyond that claim. I've been to and past that restaurant hundreds of times. I've never seen anyone who looks sad to be there. But it doesn't mean that's not happening. But I've seen nothing to lead me to believe that it is beyond this claim. Right, HSI had been in communication with bonafort Jetta's lawyer since February and they had been cooperating. Right Like one offort had given them these documents, which they claim were fake green cards. They applied for this warrant, which they got an exceedingly broad warrant. One of the things that allow was for everyone inside to be detained and fingerprinted if necessary, even people who are not accused of any immigration offense, right, people who are United States citizens. The warrant also detailed that they had been surveiling the location. City councilman Shani La Riviera called the HSI agent terrorists. In a social media post, Bill Malougan got sad about this. Stephen Miller quote tweeted Bill Milligan getting sad about this. Top Luria came out with three paragraphs of total bullshit and continued to unabatteredly support stripping our city of all its socially beneficial services in order to direct a fire hose of our money to the cops, one of whom earned four hundred and thirty thousand dollars in twenty twenty three. Jesus what yep? Yeah, San Diego's highest paid public officials of cops by oh my god. Yeah, we are becoming a police department with a city attached because of Todd Gloria, someone who ran in twenty twenty on a reform agenda, right, who owns himself two hundred and fifty thousand much less.
Speaker 3: That's that's that's an unhit football coach takes, which is I thought that the Portland police were paid too much.
Speaker 4: That's that's wild. Yeah. Yeah, this person worked and alleged three thousand hours of overtime.
Speaker 3: I believe it's like what scrolling scrolling TikTok in your car, Like, come on.
Speaker 2: Keeping an eye, keeping an eye on kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you can't you you can't be three thousand hours. I mean someone could do three thousand divided by fifty fifty two weeks a year or whatever. Like it's it's it's an unfathomable amount of overtime.
Speaker 1: It's it's just fifty eight hours a week.
Speaker 4: Whoa, yeah, so that's full time plus one and a half full time jobs, hard worker. There's a KPBS article on it. I'll linking multiple police officers I guess in twenty twenty four are on track to earn over four hundred thousand dollars with the bulckit coming from overtime pay. San Diego never gets enough attention for being a complete shit show of a city, right Like and Ron by the Sea is the best way I've heard it described, right, Like, our city consistently has massive corruption in scandals and nothing happens.
Speaker 2: It's it's a problem when it a place.
Speaker 4: Is that nice?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like that's really the fundamental issue is like people were like, hey, do you hear about that fucked up thing the meritd Yeah, but like look at the look at the beach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's yeah, that's literally the csis of under the Perfect Son. Yeah, she's a book that should be, uh, should be obligatory if you want to move to San Diego. Yeah. I think it's one of the one of the earlier Mike Davis books. But against San Diego, a place where the politics are bad. It's also what happens when everyone votes them no matter what. Right.
Speaker 2: Also, people, in general, if you want to understand why Southern California be like a do read read Mike Davis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, in general, just read Mike Davis.
Speaker 2: Actually, wherever you are read some Mike Davis.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: I seem to have used I want to get into this because I think this is an important issue that hasn't been raised any coverage. I see I seem to have used AB sixty driver's licenses to identify the people in Bonnafort Chetta, or at least use California DMV documents of some kind.
Speaker 1: Jesus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So there's this misunderstanding. People think that if you have a driver's license in California, that information isn't accessible to immigration, and that's not true. AB sixty licenses. So that's Assembly Bill sixty, right, California piece of law allow people to get a license without having legal immigration status. This is a good thing. It means undocumented people are less likely to drive unlicensed and uninsured, right, and therefore it means that people are likely to stay at the scene of car accidents, and people who getting car accident to likely covered insurance. Right, I've been hit by an unsure driver. It fucking sucks. Oh. DHS cannot access information on whose license is an AB sixty license, but they can access through a variety of databases and mechanisms other DMV data, which may include things like photographs, addresses, or thumb prints. So in this case, they were able to look at the fake green card and then look at other data, both in federal and local databases, from various things. And some of these people had overstayed visas their claiming right be like, Okay, well we found a guy with this name and this date of birth, but the person hasn't minisued a green card, that that's their claim right, and the same with the driver's license database. So obviously, just to finish up on that thought, I guess this disincentivizes people from doing the thing which I've just said is good, which is getting a driver's license. Right. It disincentivizes. I mean, I'm seeing things from students right now being afraid of going to their own graduations, being afraid of having their parents at their own graduation. Right like two blocks from a school, fucking chicken do not she's on top of the fence. Sorry, I'm just going to leave this. You're gonna fucking get out?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, please chicken break.
Speaker 1: I really, I really truly thought that that was part of the sentence, and I was trying to process in my brain.
Speaker 4: What the fighting was going on.
Speaker 1: That's like, yeah, all.
Speaker 4: Right, we're back. Did you none commanded? Did you pick up the chicken?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 4: Could you say that you were kind of a chicken jockey? Everyone?
Speaker 2: No? No, just another thirty seconds of silence, everybody, let's really give that it's due.
Speaker 4: Anyone got a gong that we could find? No? No, all right, pouring one out for Garrison. So right now, both Bonifort Jetta locations are closed. They go Fundme for the impacted employees and their families has already hit twice its goal one hundred and twenty thousand dollars. As I've said, there have been on sef gestions which, as far as I'm were unfounded that a restaurant forced and documented employees to work long hours. That doesn't matter, right, even if they did, you shouldn't be punishing the people who are being, in theory abused, right. I don't understand how you get to that logic. And even if that is the case, like having ice available on call to deport your employees only plays into the hands of abusive bosses who don't want to pay people, right, they can just call ice instead. This is a tactic that's been used for decades and into migrants. So yeah, that's all I got. Good times, good times in San Diego.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, We're going to talk about this more in another episode. There was also a rage in Minneapolis that you know, there's like through the agents out multi agency raid and like a hundred people just showed up and got them the fuck off.
Speaker 4: And they didn't end up arresting anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, well, so I think they wrest some all the protesters, but like they didn't end up attaining anything.
Speaker 4: They did not detain the people they were going after, they stopt them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's there's this there's this great line that fucking every single person from Minneapolis who I know now is quoting where one of the people who got interviewed in Sahan Journal said, that's Minnieappolis.
Speaker 4: Baby.
Speaker 1: We pull up, so you too could pull up and stop the fucking you see for cowards, you can stop them now. Speaking of incredible cowardice. One of the things that's been happening on a sort of another immigration front is the US's attempt to revoke student visas for Chinese international students. We don't actually know what this means yet and what's going to look like. All they've said is that they're working to aggressively to revoke visas. As a direct quote from them, and this this is this was from uh Marco Rubio on fucking whatever social media app and you also say, quote, we will revise visa criteria to a hand scrutiny of all future visa applications from the People's of Public of China and Hong Kong. So uh fucking rip all of the Hong Kong liberals who supported Trump.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bad shit.
Speaker 1: No one knows exactly what this is going to mean. I've seen speculation that this could be a full ban. I that's what Stephen Miller has wanted for a long time. I don't know if that's going to happen. They've been talking about like quote unquote critical fields like stems stuff. It could also be a you know, the ceific language they're using is like anyone who's linked to the Communist Party. That's a lot and what's that mean?
Speaker 4: Yet? Who the fuck knows?
Speaker 1: Right, Like, you know, like there's some of these people are the kids of like Chinese companies partaty members, but like there are that's like seven percent of the population of China, right, Like that's a lot of people, and then linked can be fucking anything, right Like, yeah, you know, so no one is entirely sure what this means yet. I my guess is that it's going to be combined with the other horrible thing I been doing right now, which that they've suspended visits like consular visits to get student visas while they try to figure out how to like do this like implement this new social media policy where they want to just effectively. What it looks like they want to do is just like if you've posted about Palestine, they deny your student visa. That seems like the thing that they're trying to put in place, Yet they haven't yet My guess is that these two are going to end up being linked and they're gonna and that that's gonna be what they're doing. It could also just be some sort of large scale of rollback of student visas for Chinese international students here, Chinese and national students have been targeted under so many goddamn administrations now, it's fucking horrible.
Speaker 4: These are just like people.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because when you read media accounts of this, a lot of them will be like, well, people aren't that Like, we're not that scared.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, no, you you are talking to the people who are stupid enough to talk to an American journalist. Right, most people just say no because they're genuine. Is like creating an atmosphere or fucking terror where people don't want to people don't want to speak out about it. And this and this has been something that's been used to like great grad student unions, you know, like just over the years, this has been a kind of repression.
Speaker 4: It's very useful.
Speaker 1: This is also I think part of their of just the broader war against higher education because a lot of Chinese international students like come in on full tuition, so they're paying for a large percentage of like a bunch of university budgets.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we will, we will.
Speaker 1: We will keep you informed as to what this actually looks like. That's what we know about it for now. It fucking sucks.
Speaker 3: Let's end with some semi good news. I guess we will return into my horribly named segment Stinky Musk. Oh god, hey, this is Gaere from the future, just cutting in here at the beginning because help well hint. The twenty four hours after we were recorded this initial segment, there has been substantial developments in the Elon Musdonald Trump breakup story.
Speaker 4: It is getting quite ugly out there, folks.
Speaker 3: The girls are fighting Diva down jd Vance is high in the closet as the parents are screaming down the hallway. It is getting quite ugly. Trump's gotten rid of the electric vehicle mandate and is threatening to terminate Elon's government subsidies and contracts. Meanwhile, Elon Musk is talking about how Donald Trump is in the Epstein files, like duh, Like we don't already know this, but for some reason, this is blowing the minds of people like Alex Jones, who are now crashing out on the timeline, huge, huge shakeups in the mega world, with some people trying to cope claiming that this is a five D Chess move and that Elon and Trump are gonna come back together in the end, which is completely absurd. This is a huge shift in the power balance in the New Right. We will be doing a whole new piece in the near future on the Elon Musk Donald Trump breakup story and how it will affect the Republican Party. But the following segment, which we recorded on Wednesday, will essentially outline how we got right up to this point, all of these slow microaggressions and fractures that led to this much more explosive breakup. So enjoy that and keep your ears peeled for a future piece on Elon Musk Donald Trump's messy situation ship. So, Elan Musk donald Trump are now officially in their messy breakup phase where they're both trying to kind of play it cool, but resentment is clearly bubbling.
Speaker 4: So after report surface.
Speaker 3: Tobu the growing rifts between Musk and Trump, the White House gave Musk a one last farewell hurrah on Friday, May thirtieth, wear Musk sporting a black eye and a T shirt reading the Doge Father, was gifted a gold key to the White House by Donald Trump. A day later, Trump withdrew the nomination of Musk ally Jared Isaacman as NASA administrator, so as Musk's Special Government employee designation expired, nothing was renewed. They did not try to push him through as an more permanent advisor. He is essentially getting the soft boot. According to Axios, Musk had asked the White House about staying on as an advisor past the one hundred and thirty day Special Government employee threshold, but that was denied. Now, Musk has been reportedly disillusioned by the Wisconsin election and the unexpected difficulty in pushing through some of his Doge cuts, along with the growing frustration regarding the Liberation Day tariffs which affect his businesses. To add to the tension, according to The New York Times, Musk has been upset that Trump has been negotiating deals with Open AI instead of Musk's own competitor, Grock god. In late May, Musk posted on x the everything app quote back to spending twenty four to seven at work, I must be super focused on x slash XAI and tesla.
Speaker 4: Well, to be fair, Garrison, have you seen ch gpt ever speaking in the style of Jajjar Binks in such a convincin you know that is true? Right there? Yeah? Not well talking about the plight of the boors.
Speaker 3: So as Musk was preparing to exit the White House, he began airing his beef with the new big beautiful budget bill.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 3: I think a bill can be big or it can be beautiful, but I don't know if it can be both, telling CBS News quote, I was disappointed to see the massive spending bill, frankly, which increases the budget deficit, not just decreases it, and undermines the work that the Doge team is doing unquote. After this, Steven Miller started subtweeting Musk on x the Everything app outlining the different types of cuts that Doge can make versus reconciliation bills can make, and defend it the big Beautiful bill, calling it quote the single largest welfare reform in American history, along with the largest tax cut reform in American history, the most aggressive energy expiration in American history, and the strongest border bill in American history, all while reducing the deficit unquote, which it does not reduce the deficit. But now that Musk's White House exit has been more solidified, Musk's animosity towards Trump's main palsy bill has just skyrocketed, posting on June third on x Everything app, I'm sorry, but I just can't stay it anymore. This massive, outrageous, pork filled congressional spending bill is a disgusting abomination.
Speaker 1: Shame on those who voted for it. You know you did wrong.
Speaker 3: You know it. Similarly, Stephen Miller has also been crashing out on the Timeline, attempting to defend the bill and push back on Musk's attacks in a flurry of tweets, and one of which reads, quote the big beautiful budshet bill will increase by orders of magnitude the scope, scale, and speed of removing illegal and criminal aliens from the United States. For that reason alone, is the most essential piece of legislation currently under construction in the entire Western world in generations. Wow, now Steven seems pretty worked out, And I think this could actually have to do not just about Musk's tweets, but also maybe about Steven's own personal life, because yeah, Steven's animosity could relate to the fact that Musk seems to be stealing Stephen Miller's own life Katie Miller.
Speaker 1: Katie Miller was working in a top position.
Speaker 3: At DOME as a special government employee, and now that her designation has also expired, she is leaving the government to continue working with Musk full time, including arranging Musk's own interview appearances. It is not looking great, folks. The cockchair is getting warmed. I am not thrilled about Elon Musk possibly having a baby with Stephen Miller's life.
Speaker 4: This is really dark timeline stuff. I think all of them should be doing better, different different.
Speaker 3: I certainly can critique the way polyamory functions in, you know, and leftist anarchist faces.
Speaker 4: This is the most toxic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This this is a night of wrong wives too, and hopefully it ends up for all of these motherfuckers like it did for him Buck.
Speaker 4: So yeah fu.
Speaker 3: Stephen Miller went on TV last week to like talk about how much he cares about his family.
Speaker 2: It's it's such it's such good timing.
Speaker 4: It's really dark for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you marry Stephen Miller, it's because you're you're both the same kind of evil, and if that's the kind of person you are, Elon Musk is going to give you more opportunities to be the kind of evil you want to be.
Speaker 4: It's right, It's just obvious.
Speaker 3: Like this is like I I can't just tell if Musk is an upgrade or a lateral move from Stephen Miller.
Speaker 4: It's really tough to say. Yeah, this is very funny, but yeah, that is.
Speaker 3: This is one of the you know, last bits in the White House Elon musk saga. He really tried to like push forward this this this doge retire all government employees' agenda, and it ran into way more roadblocks than what he was expecting. And he seems really upset about that. And now he has to return to the private sector to save his failing businesses, which have only started to fail more now that he damaged an already kind of a troubling.
Speaker 4: Reputation the past few months. Yeah. So, yeah, that is the update on Elon Musk. Awesome, Well, everybody, we reported the news. I love reporting the news and that you did it. Goodbye, we reported the news.
Speaker 2: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 1: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 2: You listen to podcasts can now find sources for it could Happen here listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.