Speaker 1: Towards the end of September eighteen twenty seven, a disease of a very singular character suddenly made its appearance in the island of Saint Thomas and attacked almost every individual in the town, which contains a population of about twelve thousand souls. The disease appeared so suddenly and spread with such rapidity, and the suffering attending it was so great that at first it caused universal alarm and was considered a sort of plague that would probably ravage the whole country. It was soon, however, discovered that although a very painful it was by no means a dangerous disease, and that if the attack was rapid, the recovery was no less speedy. This, at least was the general belief until longer experience showed the troublesome nature of the secondary pains that constitute the third stage of the disorder. The most usual mode of attack was the following. A person in perfect health would suddenly feel a stiffness amounting almost to a pain in one of his fingers, and frequently his little finger. The stiffness increased and was accompanied by an intense degree of pain, which spread rapidly over the whole hand and up the arm to the shoulder. The fingers of both hands in a few hours became swelled, stiff, and painful, preventing all attempts at bending the joints. This was followed in a short time by restlessness, depression of spirits, and a degree of nausea, ending in some cases in vomiting. Then came on shivering, succeeded by fever, great heat of skin, intense headache, most acute pain in the back, knees, ankles, and in short in every joint. But perhaps the most distressing symptom of this stage was the intense pain in the eyeballs. In every case where the first stage was in any degree well marked, patients declared that they had never experienced, nor could have conceived, pains equal to what they felt in this fever. Not one inch of the body from head to foot was exempt from suffering. An efflorescence was perceived at this time to begin at the palms of the hands and to spread over the whole body. After the aberuptive stage, the patient began to recover his spirits and his strength, but in many cases a complete want of taste remained for some days. Many people did not get rid of the pains in the joints for many weeks. In general, however, the disease gave a degree of respite for three, four and even in some cases six weeks, and then attacked the joints with more pain and paralysis than at first. I conclude with the hope that I have done my duty in endeavoring to record a disease attended with so many curious symptoms, as justly to challenge the attention of every medical man, and particularly of those who are destined to practice in tropical countries. I love these old timey descriptions, Aaron so much.
Speaker 2: I love that. So that was excerpted from this paper published in eighteen twenty eight by George Steadman. Yeah, titled some account of an anomalous disease which raged in the Islands of Saint Thomas and Santa Cruz in the West Indies during the months of September, October, November, December and January eighteen twenty seven to eighteen twenty eight. I guess they didn't have character limits and titles back then.
Speaker 1: The most descriptive and specific title.
Speaker 2: Yeah so that. Like that whole paper, which is available online is an interesting read. There's so much more detailed there, but I just pulled little excerpts that I thought were most descriptive of the topic of today's episode, which is chicken chicken virus. Hi, I'm erin Welsh.
Speaker 1: And I'm erin Almond Updike.
Speaker 2: And this is this podcast will kill You.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Is this our first mosquito born virus of our whole season?
Speaker 2: I think, so? Wow, I can't keep track anymore.
Speaker 1: Eric, I know same. I feel like we've done I mean, we've done like some lice and things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've done some vectors. Yeah, but yeah, mosquito born virus, I think.
Speaker 1: So. I'm excited. It's gonna be a good one.
Speaker 2: It is. I didn't really know anything about chicken gunya besides the name before getting into this, and yeah, I'm very curious to hear how the biology works. I know.
Speaker 1: I remember in twenty thirteen and twenty fourteen when the big outbreaks were happening in the Americas and being like, what's gonna happen with chicken gun yet? And then that was it. Yeah, And I never really learned much more about it, So it was it was fun to get to research. Yeah, but first, it's quarantiny time.
Speaker 2: It's quarantin any time. What are we drinking this week?
Speaker 1: We're drinking head, shoulders, knees and toes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we are drinking head, shoulders, knees and toes because one of the hallmark symptoms of chicken gunya virus, as you heard in our first hand account, is joint pain and headache.
Speaker 1: Yep, pretty pretty severe, as we'll discuss, very severe.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So what is in head shoulders, knees and toes.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a perfect little fall concoction. You've got some apple cider, some orange and some mez call for smokiness.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also so as a callback to deng Gay, our dan Gay episode and our Dangae quarantini which had mes call in it. And because you're gonna hear a lot about dang Gay, I know there'll be.
Speaker 1: A lot of compare condrass, Dangay, chick Gunya, et cetera. So it makes sense, so we called back to it. We'll post the full recipe for our quarantine as well as our non alcoholic plausive to read it on our website. This podcast will tell you dot com and all of our social media channels.
Speaker 2: Before we dive into the episode. Of course, like the routine, check out our website, et cetera, et cetera. There's a lot of stuff there. But also, this is our second to last episode of season five. What Yeah, there's just one more coming out after this. But don't worry, we will be back. We're just gonna take a break and not read about disease stuff for a minute.
Speaker 1: I mean, we'll probably still read about disease stuff, but like just quietly to ourselves.
Speaker 2: Actually that's true, and then we'll just text each other exactly. Well, in any case, we will be back, and so make sure you follow us on all of our social media accounts so that you know when we are on our way back, and if you have suggestions that you really want to hear for next season, send them our way.
Speaker 1: Well with that, Aaron, shall we get into chicken gonavirus. Let's do it right after this break. Chicken gonavirus is an arbovirus, which means a virus transmitted by arthropod vectors. And in this case, like we said, mosquitoes, I'm probably gonna end up talking about the two main mosquito vectors more than anyone bargain for it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad because I did a little bit of diving into the ecology and I was like, I don't know where this goes in the history section. Hopefully erin we'll talk about it.
Speaker 1: Well. I found myself thinking so much of Ali and Allison in our old lab and being like, I wish I could call and be like, can you tell me about their ecology? Anyways, So let's get into it, shall we. Chicken gunia virus is in the genus alpha virus in the family Toga Virida, and these viruses there RNA viruses, the majority of which are arboviruses. They are transmitted by mosquitoes and other vectors. A few that people may have heard of include Ross River virus and Western and Eastern equine encephalitis viruses. One thing I thought was interesting about alpha viruses in general is that at least one of the papers that I was reading was talking about how for a lot of alpha viruses, humans and our domestic animals are often considered dead end hosts, so we aren't necessarily like the evolutionary hosts for these pathogens, which is I think very interesting, especially because I'm going to end up comparing and contrasting chicken guna virus in this episode, because it's compared a lot in the literature to a few other arboviruses like dengay zeca virus, yellow fever virus. All of those viruses are not in the alpha virus family. Those are all flaviaviruses, so a completely different family of viruses, some of which are very human specific like yellow fever or can cause disease in animals and humans kind of equally.
Speaker 2: That's interesting that humans are considered the dead end host for alpha viruses. Is that because of like viroemia and mosquitoes not being able to get enough virus or is it because mosquitoes aren't biting as much? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think both from what I could tell. Okay, yeah, yeah, But as we'll see, that's not the case chicken gunyam. So the two major vector species of chicken gunya virus are mosquitoes that might be familiar to longtime listeners. They are mosquitoes in the genus eighties, particularly eighties albapictus and eighties agypdi. These are the same mosquitoes that are responsible for the transmission of dannge fever of yellow fever and of Zeca virus, among many others. There are a lot of other species of eighties mosquitoes that can also transmit chicken gunya as well as perhaps some species of Culex that have been found to be infected, but predominantly, especially for humans, it's Albapictus and Agypti, and that's probably how I'll refer to them throughout this episode. And like many of our mosquito born viral and other pathogens, this life cycle can be a little bit complicated, but it goes a little something like this. The mosquito takes the bite of an infected blood meal from an animal or a human in the case of chicken gunya, the virus has to travel through the guts of that mosquito, disseminate through the gut wall of the mosquito, travel through the hemolymph, and invade the salivary glands where they can replicate. And this process for chicken gunya virus within the mosquito takes between two and five days to happen. Okay, So what that means is that the adult mosquito, after it takes its first blood meal, has to live at least two to five days to then be infectious to another person.
Speaker 2: I have a question about mosquito longevity.
Speaker 1: Ooh, kyote, so glad Eron has so many fun facts about these mosquitoes.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, excellent. How long on average do the different species Albapictus and Egypti live?
Speaker 1: So these mosquitoes take about a week to develop from an egg into adult, but once they are adults, they can live for four to six weeks okay mm hm, which is.
Speaker 2: A lot of very long biting potential.
Speaker 1: It sure is, and it's only female mosquitoes that bite. They have to take a blood meal in order to make eggs in order to lay a brood, and eighties mosquitoes if they are able to take an entire blood meal, and there are differences between eighties agypdi and Albapictus in terms of like how often they lay eggs and things like that, but if they took a whole entire blood meal, they might be able to go several days between feedings. But what often happens is that they get interrupted really frequently during their feedings, so they don't get a whole blood meal at once, so they might bite and then bite, and then bite and then bite in order to get enough blood to be able to make an egg brood.
Speaker 2: So it's not like one blood meal or one feeding sash one infected person. It could be five feeding sesshes to get your you know, stomach full, and you infect five people. So is it there? Yeah, like viral load, infectious dose, like you know, does that play a role in it as well?
Speaker 1: Great question. I totally don't have answers for you on that, Like how many viral particles does a mosquito have in their salvary glands and how many are they injecting with aged feed? I have no idea, but at least in theory, if this mosquito is biting many different hosts, not only is that many opportunities to become infected, but it's also many opportunities to transmit that pathogen.
Speaker 2: Makes sense and wow, But going back.
Speaker 1: To the timeline of it, so two to five days for that process of dissemination through the guts before a mosquito becomes infectious. Here we start to compare contrast something like chicken gunya with something like dan gay virus. Dingay virus takes eight to ten days before it's transmissible in the adult mosquito. So all, you have a mosquito that doesn't have to live nearly as long before it can start infecting other people.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So I guess that would probably play a big role in how fast an epidemic or an outbreak happens.
Speaker 1: Sure could mm hmm. All right, So continuing on in our life cycle, once that mosquito is infectious, it takes another blood meal, and then those viruses are injected from the salivary glands into our subcutaneous tissues. Those viruses make their way into our bloodstream, they infect a number of different cells. They infect our fibroblast cells, they can replicate in our skin cells. They make their way into our liver and into our joints, where they infect a variety of cells. I'm going to pause in the life cycle here because i want to talk a little bit more about these two species of mosquito, even though we've already kind of like dove into some of the fun bits. These two species of mosquito, eighties albapictus and eighties agypti. We've talked about them a lot because we've done zeca, we've done yellow fever, we've done dengey. These mosquitoes are particularly good particularly well adapted to rural, urban, and human built environments, especially eighties agypti. This is a mosquito that like just loves humans and our urban environments. These two mosquito species are generally both container breeding mosquitoes, so they do really well in things like old tires or that pot you forgot about that one pothole in your street that absolutely never drains your neighbor's pool that they drained three years ago but they never filled it, so there's just like an inch of water in there. Also tree holes in more like suburban or rural environments, et cetera. Any tiny amount of standing water is enough for eighties and hype and Albapictus both to be able to breed and survive. These two mosquitoes are also very aggressive. They're really aggressive biters, especially for humans, like they really like humans, and especially eighties Albapictus tend to be more diurnal than most mosquito species, so they can primarily bite during the daytime, in the mornings and in the evenings, so they're really difficult to avoid, and things like bednets that are often used to protect against other mosquito species that bite at night don't do anything to prevent the bites of eighties albapictus and eighties agypty right, And like I said, they can complete their entire initial life cycle in as little as a week from egg all the way to adult. So in times of plenty in terms of rainfall, like the rainy season, you have many many broods of mosquitoes over and over hatching and going out in search of new blood meal. But at the same time, like many mosquito species, these eggs can dry out completely and then survive until the next rainfall season. That's why they can do so well. In these small containers of water that might dry out completely, they can just hang on.
Speaker 2: It's amazing and I respect it, but I also hate it.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know. So that's just kind of some fun facts about eighties agypti and Albapictus. I'll probably talk more about them in the current event section because they're also really important invasive species worldwide, especially eighties albapictus. Yeah, so, and they spread so many different diseases that they're an incredibly important source of vector born disease. But if that isn't enough, chicken gunya virus can also be spread via vertical transmission within the mosquito, meaning it can pass into the eggs and result in larvae and therefore adults that are already infected.
Speaker 2: It's horrible. It's terrible.
Speaker 1: I didn't I don't know the rate at which this happens, but it definitely happens. And just to make it even worse, males who become infected at birth. Males do not blood feed, so they can't become infected as adults, but they can be born infected and can infect females during the mating process. So this virus is just really good at spreading through these mosquitoes.
Speaker 2: And that's just for eighties Egypti. Right, the vertical transmission.
Speaker 1: I saw it primarily for eighties EGYPTI.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, And like I.
Speaker 1: Said, chicken gunya virus is more than just a human virus. So these mosquitoes can become infected by biting a huge variety of mammals, including rodents, bats, non human primates, but also even birds and reptiles that can become infected and harbor chicken gunea virus. I didn't get a sense. And I think that because this disease has largely been an outbreak disease. The outbreak patterns in humans tend to be from human to vector to human transmission, so like humans being the primary reservoir, largely because these two species of mosquitoes do really like to bite humans. So I didn't get a sense of what the natural reservoirs likely are across the globe, but it probably varies in different parts of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like historically they found it in non human primates, and then the more sampling they did, the more they found in other species, as as tense often happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so all of that is just the virus, the mosquitoes and the transmission. Let's get into the disease that chicken gunya causes, shall we.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: So, once a person gets bitten and this mosquito injects you full of virus, the incubation period tends to be about two to four days. Different papers report slightly different ranges, but that's about the average.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's a pretty tight range. It is.
Speaker 1: I mean, it does range from like one to twelve, but I think.
Speaker 2: Okay, never mind, I take it back.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, but in general, like most papers consensus two to four. Some like to say three to seven just to hedge their bets. Okay, but symptom onset tends to be abrupt and severe. The first hand account that we read was actually a pretty decent description of what I'm about to talk about, especially when you consider those from the eighteen hundreds. So love that the symptoms tend to start with a fever, of course, headache, back pain, very very severe joint pain and in potentially any joint ankles, wrist, fingers, hips, knees, large joints, small joints, and it does tend to be like so severe that it is difficult to bear. And people often will have like rigers and be bent over and just in an excruciating amount of pain. About fifty percent of people ish will also have some kind of skin involvement. The most common rash is a very itchy, red splotchy kind of what I think of is just a very generic viral looking rash, so like little red splotches with bumps in the middle, what we call maculo popular. And this can be across the chest, the stomach, the back. I know the first hand account mentioned the palms, but I don't think that we tend to see that very commonly. What's interesting is that in children the rash can often be quite different, with more of a blistering appearance, like very large blisters across the whole skin, or even with petikia, which are those tiny little purple spots that mean that you're having little, tiny pinpoint bleeds underneath your skin.
Speaker 2: Why is it different? Just immune system stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great question, no clue. And in general, chicken gunya fever tends to be considered a self limited condition. Usually these symptoms are going to resolve in seven to ten days, which is a long time to be this sick. However, this incredibly painful arthritis can in some cases persist for months or even years afterwards.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's horrible. And what's truly awful is that this happens in up to thirty to forty percent of people who are infected with chicken gunyavirus.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Huge number. We don't know exactly what causes this chronic joint pain, this chronic arthritis, but so far it's not thought to be due to chronic infection. Okay, because in general, when we've tried to study it, people have not been able to isolate virus from the joint fluid of people with this chronic arthritis as a result of chicken gunya. So it's thought to likely be something that's immune mediated, which is something that we see with other rboviral, viral and bacterial infections as well, and one of those things that we still just don't really understand.
Speaker 2: What causes the acute joint pain.
Speaker 1: Oh great question. Arin to say that we don't really understand the path of physiology of chicken gunya virus, I think is an understatement and I always say that we don't understand things. In small animal studies, we see that it's primarily muscular skeletal tissues that are in infected by this virus, especially muscles surrounding joints as well as skin fibroblasts. Fibroblasts are this like generic cell type that are involved in connective tissue formation. And so since this is a virus that has to infect our cells in order to replicate, these are the cell types, these fibroblasts and these muscle cells that they tend to infect and replicate in. There is some evidence from these again animal studies, that mice who lack T cells, especially certain subsets of T cells, have much less severe joint swelling and tissue damage as a result of this viral infection. So it's thought that perhaps it's at least in part a T cell mediated response that causes all of this joint pain and inflammation in those spaces, because that's where the virus is actually infecting.
Speaker 2: And that's like the muscle, there's like muscle involvement.
Speaker 1: It can infect muscle cells. It doesn't mean that the inflammation will be in the muscles necessarily, but there's also often a lot of muscle pain with chaspana as well.
Speaker 2: So this only because we've just covered gout. How does how does this joint pain differ from gout joint pain?
Speaker 1: What a fun question. So gout tends to be a very one joint at a time or a few joints at a time. This is every joint in your body. There's similarities in that in both of them, a lot of the pain is going to be driven by the inflammation, which is driven by our immune response to some kind of stressor in this case, we think that it is the virus infecting particular cells, fibroblasts, muscle cells, other cells near and around our joints that then cause a lot of inflammation that then cause a lot of pain. Okay. The difference in gout, of course, is that we know exactly what those particular drivers are. See our gout episode.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: But I do think it's important to talk about this pain and especially the chronicity that this pain can have. This can last for weeks to months to potentially years after this acute infection, and it can be debilitating. And chicken gunya virus is often portrayed as a much less virulent pathogen compared to other arbaviruses like yellow fever or dengay, and in a lot of ways it is. In general, the estimated case fatality rates for chicken gunya are less than one percent. It was thought, especially historically, to be very very rare to die from chicken gunya, although with more recent outbreaks we have seen an increase in mortality, especially in the very old, the very young, or the otherwise immunal compromised, so that less than one percent is probably an underestimate, but it certainly historically has been much less virulent than dangay fever, which if it causes dang gay shock syndrome, has a mortality rate of twenty percent or more or yellow fever which has a case fatality rate between ten and fifty percent, or my marsh. Yeah, so when you compare those, then yes, chicken gunya seems relatively benign. But months or years of debilitating joint pain can cause disability. It can cause inability to work, which might mean inability to feature family. So it does have really serious consequences. So I want to emphasize that it's not a benign illness by any means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, chicking gunya.
Speaker 1: Can also infect people during pregnancy. Of course, you can be infected at any point in your life. It doesn't seem to cross the placenta and cause fetal infection the way that something like zekeavirus does, but it can cause neonatal infections if someone is highly vyriemic, like has an acute infection at delivery, and those can actually be very severe and have resulted in neonatal deaths. Okay, when it comes to whether or not you can have an asymptomatic infection, which is something that we talk a lot about, especially in viral diseases or mosquito born diseases, I don't know who to believe in terms of how many asymptomatic cases. There are a lot of papers that I read. I would say the majority estimate that it's actually very rare to have an asymptomatic infection, which is quite different than something like dangay or zica.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I saw like a CDC cheat sheet that was like three and four chicken gunya cases are symptomatic and one in four dang gay are symptomatic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's estimated that anywhere from like five to twenty five percent, But most of the estimates I saw were about fifteen percent of people will be asymptomatic, which is pretty low. Yeah, but then some of the papers were like lots ofbody symptomatic, and I'm like, I don't know, but anyways, I think it's low compared to dange, compared to zica as far as we can tell.
Speaker 2: So, joint pain is like the hallmark symptom of chicken gunya. Are there any other organs that are involved?
Speaker 1: Great question. There doesn't tend to be a ton of organ involvement that results in organ damage that we would then see on things like lab results or resulting in like kidney failure, liver failure, which I think is why it's historically been considered a pretty mild disease. It can and has, in more recent outbreaks, caused neurologic effects, but again tends to do that at a much lower rate than something like zica.
Speaker 2: Right, It's something that you would commonly see in huge outbreaks. But yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, okay. So let's say that there's an outbreak of what suspected to be chicken gunya and someone is sick with what is probably chicken gunya. What do they do? What happens?
Speaker 1: Great question. So in terms of treatment, it's mostly supportive care. We don't have any particular anti virals. We don't have any specific treatments targeted towards chicken gunya virus. Most of what you'll see online is tilanol. Huh, that's it, thilanol. What's interesting about that is that public health agencies do tend to specify thaileanol over any other things like en sids like ibuprofen. And the reason for that is because clinically, during outbreaks, both because the symptoms can be very nonspecific in the acute phase, they can overlap a lot, and these two viruses tend to occur in the same areas, and chicken gunya virus can be difficult to tell apart, and enzids can be very dangerous in Dangay because it can lead to bleeding, right, okay, yeah, And so for that reason, it's like, if you're not sure, just tie it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And like many neglected tropical diseases, we don't have the best of diagnostics for chicken gunya either, but they exist, you know. Yeah, So that is chicken unya and it's biology or what I know about it. So, Aaron, tell me where did this virus come from? Why does it infect us? Well, tell me about it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I can answer that second one, but I'll certainly try for the first. Right after this break, the story of chicken gunya virus, or at least part of the story of this virus, will probably sound a bit familiar to you, Aaron. It definitely will for you, because we have recorded Dangay and Zeca episodes, and you just talked about all the similarities. But for our listeners too, not just the biology or the transmission or the epidemiology of these viruses will sound similar, but also a bit of the history. I think, Okay, we'll sound a little bit echoes of each other, all mosquito born viruses, all on the rise, all recently attracting more attention and generating more headlines than historically they used to due to their recent geographics, spread into new regions, especially regions like Europe and North America, where the disease has changed from being an over there disease to a weight it's here now one. And with dangay and chicken gunya especially, the similarities extend beyond epidemiology and disease ecology and down into the clinical side of things, since they can cause a lot of the same symptoms, as well as their histories, which, as I'll talk about, have blended together and are kind of in the process of being rewritten.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But with as many similarities as these diseases share, they are also distinct in many ways that play a huge role in their transmission, their evolution, and in the way that public health efforts are focused. And I'm not going to do a thorough compare and contrast between chicken gunya and dengay, although I may call on you to help me erin some of these and we'll get to the section where I'm going to be like, all right, let's take a closer look, but I do. In researching for this, it struck me that these arboviruses are often kind of lumped together and talked about as a single entity. And I feel like it's just as important to remember what differences among these infections can tell us as it is to ask what their similarities can say about these diseases. Yeah, and I think that throughout this episode we'll have the opportunity to do both. But first things first, Aaron, you asked, as you always do, where this virus came from, And it's a great question that I'm only going to be able to answer in part. Okay, most papers I read for this episode, if they mentioned the evolutionary origin of chicken gunyavirus at all, it was just to say that it wasn't clear when or where this virus emerged. Right, of course, one paper gave a not super narrow estimate that the ancestor of chicken gunyavirus emerged fairly recently, maybe as recently as eighteen fifty or as far back as the year six fifty CE. It's like, which, like in the scheme of things, is not a big range, but it does seem like a big range.
Speaker 1: That's still a big range.
Speaker 2: It's a big range. It's a big range. But there was a more recent paper that examined the different lineages of the chicken gunyavirus and estimated that the virus emerged somewhere in Central or East Africa around three hundred to five hundred years ago. Okay, and the East Central South African lineage, which I think is the predominant one in a lot of places, that appeared around nineteen o three and then gave rise to the West African and Asian genotypes or lineages in the decades after.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like pretty pretty And the most recent lineage, the Indian Ocean lineage, only emerged in the very early two thousands.
Speaker 1: I know. I can't wait to talk about it.
Speaker 2: It's so mind blowing, it really is. We'll get into later, but long story short, This seems to be a relatively new virus whose ancestors infected mosquitoes and non human primates and other vertebrates, with occasional spillover into humans from this enzootic cycle, and then at some point this virus diverged into chicken gunya virus transmitted by eighties mosquitoes and o nyang nyang virus. I don't know if that's how you pronounce it, but that's transmitted by anophilies mosquitoes. As humans began to settle in larger groups and especially began to store water, even you didn't even have to store that much of it, that provided opportunities for the evolution of the more domestic eighties agypdi agypdi mosquito subspecies which hung around these settlements, and a loud for human to human transmission of chicken gunya. So it's maintained and just humans and mosquitoes. And that's in contrast, of course, to the spillover into humans from the enzootic cycle when a bridge vector species of mosquito, one that feeds on both humans and non human primates or other vertebrate reservoirs, bites a human and transmits the virus.
Speaker 1: Very much like dangay. Honestly, it is very.
Speaker 2: Much like dangay, I mean, and it's much like a lot of other mosquito born viruses or mosquito born infections. Like there's this enzolotic cycle that just happens all the time in the background, and then it happens to spillover into humans and then depending on the circumstances that can cause this big outbreak yep. And so these big outbreaks would happen from time to time, and it fed initially by the spillover, and then it would just sweep through the population until most people became immune, and then the virus would go quiet for a while. And this is essentially how the cycle would have continued for hundreds of years until its discovery in nineteen fifty two. In July of that year, a seemingly new disease began popping up in the Makondai Plateaus region in Tanzania. Within two or three weeks of the first case appearing in a village, sixty to eighty percent of the population became infected. Whoa, with some households reporting a one hundred percent infection rate.
Speaker 1: That is impressively fast and impressively infectious.
Speaker 2: Yes, I honestly I just couldn't get over.
Speaker 1: It well, and I think it so does lend credence to this idea that there's not a lot of asymptomatic infections.
Speaker 2: Yes, totally. The disease seemed to come on suddenly, with the rapid development of a high fever in these horrible joint pains quote. The pain was frightening in its severity, completely immobilizing many patients and preventing sleep in the first few days of the illness. It was intensified by movement and localized in larger joints. In some cases, there was also severe backache. Morphia was the only analgesic which was found to modify the pain. Yeah. No one in the region could remember a similar epidemic ever occurring there, and so this disease was given a new name from the Macondai dialect chicken gunya, meaning that which bends up or I've also seen it as the disease that bends up the joints. No one who had the disease got it a second time. Wow, And people said you either definitely had it or you definitely did not. There was just no in between.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Researchers immediately suspected that it was mosquito born or at least transmitted by some blood sucking arthropod vector, both due to its pattern of transmission, its occurrence in the rainy season, and its similarity to Dangay fever. In one of these papers reporting the initial outbreak, quote, indistinguishable from dengay if allowance is made for the inherent variability of that disease, because dang gay is like clinically quite sabers. Yeah, studies were carried out where researchers collected blood feeding arthropods from all around the villages where the outbreak occurred, and sure enough, all signs pointed to eighties EGYPDI. Because of the clinical similarity to dan gay, people figured that when they found the virus, it was just going to be like a new subtype or a new strain of the Danae virus. But analysis of serum samples collected showed that it seemed to be a new kind of virus, not a Danae virus, And so it got to keep the name that it got during this first outbreak, Chicken Gunya. And maybe it's because we've done so many episodes where the story goes something like the disease was first recognized into ancient times and people wrote about them for hundreds of years, but no one knew what caused it or how it was transmitted until recently. But I just think it's so amazing that within a few years of its first appearance, we had a name, we had a clinical picture. We had a vector and a causative agent for this new disease. Yeah, I mean, and it shows how far we'd come by the nineteen fifties in terms of microbiology. If you cast your mind back to our Dangaye episode, you may remember that the first epidemics of dangay were described in the late seventeen hundreds, and it took another one hundred years and then some before it was linked to mosquitoes, and decades after that before the virus was identified and like classified. And here we are with chicken gunya, learning all that and more about this brand new disease in just a few years. It's amazing, or is it now?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 2: But maybe things aren't as simple as I presented them.
Speaker 1: Well, Aaron, I'm just I'm waiting for you to drop the other shoe, because I know that our first hand account was from the eighteen hundred So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, on that. Yeah, So maybe chicken unya isn't as brand new as we thought it was. Maybe nineteen fifty two was not the year of chicken unya first being discovered. Maybe some of those historical outbreaks of dangay weren't caused by the dange virus after all, but rather the chicken gunya virus. Of course, that doesn't take away from how like incredible it is to have built that knowledge about the seemingly new disease so quickly. Yeah, totally, But I did want to take some time to revisit the early history of dangay and see if maybe what people thought was dangay was actually chicken gunya. And this isn't something that I like came up with on my own. There are lots of papers that have been looking into this possibility for you know, decades, and they've come up with some pretty convincing evidence. All right. So a nineteen seventy one paper by Donald Carey titled Chicken Gunya and Dngay a Case of Mistaken Identity takes a closer look at many so called dengae epidemics since the eighteenth century and uses clinical descriptions from eyewitnesses to see whether it seems more in line with dengae or chicken gunya. Because although the two diseases do bear many similarities and can be quite varied in terms of symptom presentation, there do seem to be some distinguishing features between the two, like one of them is this lingering long, lingering joint pain in chicken gunya and also just the fact that dengey has a much higher mortality rate, And so these differences would be a lot more easily seen in outbreaks and epidemics when you can look at a whole bunch of people and see patterns emerge, rather than looking at two people side by side that like, both have kind of a rash, both have headache, joint paine and fever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, live in an area with eighties Egyptian eighties albapictus, And Yeah, I'm really excited for this, Aaron, because I do think it's really important. Many of the clinical papers written recently talk a lot about how difficult it is to distinguish chicken gunya and dangay, say in the moment during a chicken gunya outbreak or a dan gay outbreak, when you don't know which one is at play, or if both are happening simultaneously, which can absolutely happen. Yeah, So it is really interesting to be able to take a step back and look at things historically, because there are patterns that emerge when you're able to look not at an individual person but at a population yep.
Speaker 2: Oh, that just actually made me wonder though, is there any in places where both the viruses co occur? Is there competition between them within mosquitoes?
Speaker 1: Oh, my gosh, erin such a good question. There is some evidence in one of the papers that I read that, especially in eighties I think it's an eighties albu pictus that some of the mutations that I know you'll talk about actually might facilitate coinfection with danng gay and chicken gunya.
Speaker 2: It's terrified.
Speaker 1: It's terrifying.
Speaker 2: That is really terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyways, sorry, anyways.
Speaker 2: No, no, that's fascinating, okay. But the other thing about looking historically at dang gay and chicken gunya is that eighties agypdi achieved a global distribution since the sixteen hundreds or so, and that greatly expanded the range of dengay and yellow fever. So it seems pretty plausible that chicken gunya, which does the same transmission cycle more or less, could have been another virus carried by these mosquitoes. Yeah. In seventeen seventy nine, there was an outbreak of something called knuckle quarts or knuckle joint fever. In present day Karta, and the description written by David Bylon does suggest who was witness at the time does suggest Chicken Gunya. Quote. I noticed a gnawing pain in my right hand and in the joints of the hand and arm, which gradually increased, extending to the shoulder and then over my whole body, so that at nine o'clock that evening I was in bed with a high fever. I had a restless and sleepless night, suffering severe pains over the entire body, especially in the legs and arms, and in the joints. This is a brief notice concerning a very well known disease, which, however, in the memory of man here in Batavia, has never reached an epidemic, and which has therefore seemed wondrous to the inhabitants. Around this time, an outbreak of a similar disease was happening in Cairo. This one known as quote the knee trouble. It threw all the people into a fever. Its first attack lasted for three days, after which the illness increased or diminished, acording to the disposition of the individual. It was accompanied by pain in the joints, knees, and extremities as well as inability to move, and often with swelling of the fingers. The after pains lasted more than a month. The onset was sudden, the body being broken by it, and the head and knees taken hold of. So the descriptions of this disease painted this excruciatingly painful picture, but not really a deadly one. And that was something that's in sharp contrast to what Benjamin Rush saw during a seventeen eighty epidemic in Philadelphia of a disease that he nicknamed breakbone fever. This is often considered to be the first description of Danngay fever. And I actually had this passage in my day notes, and I don't think I read it in the episode, so I'm just going to read you a snippet of it here. And also, this is like a very full of quotation section, but I feel like it's important because we're going through historical outbreaks. Okay. Quote. The fever generally came on with rigor, but seldom with a regular chili fit. When the fever did not terminate on the third or fourth day, it frequently ran onto the eleventh, fourteenth, and even twentieth days. In some cases, the discharge of a few spoonsful of blood from the nose accompanied a solution of the fever, while in others a profuse hemorrhage from the nose, mouth, and bowels on the tenth and eleventh days preceded a fatal issue of the disease. The pains which accompanied this fever were exquisitely severe in the head, back, and limbs. The disease was sometimes believed to be a rheumatism, but its more general name among all classes of people was the breakbone fever. Russia's description, which also mentions a rash and burning in the palms of the hands and soles of the feet, it does have some echoes of chicken gunya like are There are lots of similarities between these descriptions that I've read so far, But it's also much deadlier, Like he's talking about hemorrhaging, he's talking about people dying and how often it happens, And that didn't seem to happen in the descriptions at least from the seventeen seventy nine Jakarta epidemic, as well as the series of outbreaks of a similar disease that occurred in India. And the West Indies in the eighteen twenties, which, like in Jakarta, had a super high attack rate but a low mortality rate. In eighteen twenty four to eighteen twenty five, an epidemic of Kiddinga peppo began in East Africa and spread to India, where it caused huge outbreaks, with one contemporary observer estimating that ninety five percent of the population of one region was affected. Wow. Yeah, And although this has historically been chalked up to denge, more recently it's been suggested to have been chicken gunya. And that's in large part due to the emphasis on the sudden onset an extremely fast onset and lingering joint pain quote a protracted debility and long continued pains and the ankles and dull aching in the joints of the fingers and toes for many weeks after the cessation of the fever. The outbreak, which also had high prevalence and low mortality, that occurred in the West Indies a few years later, around eighteen twenty seven, eighteen twenty eight. So that was a description from our first hand account, and that's what led to the nickname Dandy fever.
Speaker 1: So yea, what I remember talking about that? Uh huh oh my gosh, how interesting.
Speaker 2: Isn't that fascinating? So he even says, he even writes in that description like this is not a deadly disease. This is not known to be deadly. And it's so funny because I definitely like baited you by being like, Aaron, does that sound like chicken gunya? Is this a good first hand account? Accurate?
Speaker 1: I love it?
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, so some researchers, you know, over the past few decades have started to think, like, hey, well, wait a second, was that actually dangay right, or was that actually caused by dangay virus? I should say?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, it's interesting too to think about danay potentially infecting a new population who has never been exposed versus ademic dan gay because if anyone remembers back to our dangay fever episode, initial infections tend to be much more mild. So if you have an entirely immune population, all of that is going to be primary infection and it's not until the second time that people are exposed that you have dang gay shocked, dang gae hemorrhagic fever, and severe infections. So, especially in an initial infection and in that acute phase. I do think that chicken gunya and dan gay can be very hard to tell apart for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But what I think is interesting is that people made a distinction. Doctors who wrote about these diseases during the eighteen hundreds made a distinction between dengey and Benjamin Rush's breakbone fever. So Steadman, who wrote the article where we drew the first hand account from huh, he brings up this point in that article quote, some of the physicians here seem to consider this fever the same as that described by doctor Rush under the name of the breakbone fever or the billious remittant fever. I think that the diseases, though somewhat alike in a few symptoms, are essentially different. Four circumstances chiefly distinguished the fever that I have described. First the suddenness and peculiarity in its mode of attack. Secondly, the well marked distinction between different stages. Thirdly, the peculiar eruption. Fourthly, the peculiar nature and duration of the after pains. So dangay and breakbone fever were not always used synonymously, and in fact, for many doctors for a time, they seemed to be written about as similar but distinct diseases, with breakbone fever being this more deadly and debilitating disease and one that you could become reinfected with or like you could be susceptible to multiple attacks. It's like how it was talked about and what they call dangay was milder except for the long period of lingering joint pain, and it was a one time only disease.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting.
Speaker 2: Erin, isn't it interesting?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I don't remember it at all from our dang Gay episode.
Speaker 2: No, don't I think that, Like there were a few, like I think I made a throwaway comment that was something like and some people think this could have been chicken gunyahs. But then yeah, with this, it was like there's there's a lot more because I think.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting that like people made this distinction. But in making that distinction, what were they calling dn gay versus what were they calling something different? And what was chicken gunya versus? What was you know, new introductions of dangay or first outbreaks of danay?
Speaker 2: Totally?
Speaker 1: Ah, how fun isn't it?
Speaker 2: Isn't it? It's so interesting? To think about. And yeah, So throughout the rest of the eighteen hundreds, more and more outbreaks of what was called dangay or what was called breakbone fever. These were described across the tropics and subtropics, and some observant writers would note the clinical differences between the two, but sometimes they would use the terms interchangeably. So how did the two become one? How did breakbone fever and dangay become absolutely the same thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How did we forget about these differences? And honestly, it seems to me like it comes down to just a coincidence. So yeah, like I said, a lot of physicians that wrote about these epidemics did distinguish between dang gay and breakbone fever, but by the eighteen hundreds, because they're such similar diseases, dang gay became increasingly used to describe both. After eighties, e jypdi was identified as the vector for yellow fever, researchers became interested in seeing whether dang gay was also transmitted by mosquitoes. And I feel like I'm not doing a very good job of this, but like, when I'm talking about dangay and these historic outbreaks, I really should be putting quotes around dan gay, so like what they were calling kay, right, And so when these researchers decided, like, hey, okay, let's see if we can link mosquitoes to this, there was an outbreak of quote dangay that was going on in Lebanon, in Australia and in the Philippines. And these outbreaks provided the perfect opportunity to test this out, this mosquito hypothesis using human quote unquote volunteers. Researchers successfully demonstrated that the disease was caused by a virus and transmitted that virus from sick people to healthy people through the bite of an infected eighties Egypti. But it just so happens that the virus that was endemic in these study sites in this outbreak of quote dangay was not the chicken guna virus, but the dangae virus. And so it was assumed that this and all preceding historical epidemics that were went under the name dangay were caused by this virus alone. And the reason I say coincidence, maybe that's like not really the right, We're just a matter of like happenstance, I guess is because if these researchers had instead been working on an outbreak of quote dengay that was actually caused by chicken gunya virus, right, dangay would mean something different than it does today. It would mean that chicken gunya virus or what we call the chicken gunya virus and the virus that we called dangay today would probably have a different name.
Speaker 1: How fascinating, Aaron, Isn't that neat? So at the end of it, we still can't actually distinguish a lot of those early descriptions of course of quote dengay and chicken gunya.
Speaker 2: I mean we can try, like, but no, that's that's definitely something that I think is a key takeaway. Yeah, right, Like, this was a very long winded way of me saying that chicken gunya has probably been around longer than since the nineteen fifties and that it probably caused some historical outbreaks attributed to dangay. But I wanted to kind of dig a little bit deeper because I think it's a fascinating example of how the history of a disease is constantly evolving. Yeah, whether through the discovery of old texts that you know, put it in a new place, or bring it back even farther, or through molecular tools tracing the actual evolution of a pathogen or a vector, or because modern events add to the story. The history of chicken gunya that somebody tells in ten years probably isn't going to sound the same as this one, the one that you know we're telling now. And the second reason is that I think this highlights both the benefits of using historical descriptions of disease, because they allow you to retrace the steps of its spread and how our understanding grew, but it also highlights the drawbacks. It certainly seems likely that chicken gunya has been more widely distributed for longer than we initially thought, given some of these historical descriptions being like pretty on the money about chicken gunya, and also the fact that its vector eighties a jip die or one of its vectors was present in a lot of these places, which would have made transmission feasible possible. But we can't know for sure. We can't know whether the author of an account was highlighting an unusual case or a typical one, whether they were interested in a certain set of symptoms, so they played those up while ignoring others, whether there was some reason that they were like invested in making a difference between dangay and breakbone fever and really like highlighting those differences. These are also similar viruses with a substantial overlap in disease symptoms and geographic range, And it's possible that one outbreak of dangay was actually caused by dangae virus while another was caused by chicken gunya virus. Maybe another was caused by yang yong virus or a different virus entirely. But in any case, these historical accounts aren't just useful for historians, but like you talked about, Aaron, also for modern day researchers looking for clues into a disease's ecology and epidemiology. What do we see on a big scale, What are the things that stand out historically and why? But speaking of modern day researchers, let's head back to the twentieth century to see what happened with chicken gunya once it was formally identified in the nineteen fifties. So as you might expect, having a name, a vector, and a virus made it easier for people to recognize subsequent outbreaks which occurred throughout the nineteen sixties and beyond in Sub Saharan Africa. Chicken gunya was first detected outside of Africa in nineteen fifty eight in Thailand, and over the next few years the virus continued. It spread throughout Asia into Cambodia and India, although it was probably not its first rodeo there. Yes, antibodies against chicken gunya were found in serum collected from people in India in the early nineteen fifties. And you already heard this whole spiel that I just gave about mistaken identity between chicken gunya and danngaey. But what was happening in the nineteen fifties, the nineteen sixties into the nineteen seventies is that the scale of these epidemics seemed to be growing, with one epidemic in Chennai, India in nineteen sixty four causing over four hundred thousand cases. But chicken unyon didn't maintain this huge growth because after the nineteen seventies things seemed to like cool down a bit, possibly thanks to a high rate of immunity from previous epidemics. It seems like unclear but researchers have pointed to a possible cyclical nature of chicken gunya outbreaks, which I think is interesting. But then in two thousand and four, everything changed yep, or rather an amino acid in the virus changed. So it's been hypothesized and I think pretty well supported from experimental research that this change of this amino acid resulted in this viral lineage of the chicken gunya virus being able to be more easily transmitted by eighties Albalpictus, a mosquito species that previous to this had not really been implicated as a major vector. It was like eighties A Jypti for the urban human to human cycle, and then other eighties species for the enzootic cycle. But now suddenly there's this new Albapictus species in play. And the result of that was that chicken gunya exploded in two thousand and four from eastern Kenya into islands in the Indian Ocean, involving hundreds of thousands of peapleople and attack rates as high as thirty five percent or even sixty three percent I saw on one island. Over the next years, chicken gunya grew to be a major public health problem, causing massive outbreaks in South and Southeast Asia involving millions of people, where for the first time these neurological and other complications of the infection were observed. And with eighties Albapictus now as this major vector, its potential for global spread grew tremendously because Albopictus also extends further than eighties Egypti into temperate regions. It's a great urban mosquito that overwinters really well. Like you talked about Aaron loves feeding on humans, has these desiccation resistant eggs. I mean, we're up against quite a lot in terms of chicken gunya control, and I do have a little asterisk there in terms of like genotype by genotype interactions between Albalpictus and the virus, so like some combo don't do as well as others. But I mean it's complicated but still ye, And it gets even more complicated when you add urbanization and climate change to the mix, as you have to do when you talk about disease or vector born diseases. But yeah, I mean this is kind of like a rapid wrap up. But I think that what I took away from this is that we have a lot to learn about the future of chicken gunya, and it seems quite daunting, but I think looking at the past, and even like the very recent past, chicken gunya can serve as yet another lesson along with dange, along with SIKA, along with other arboviruses, on just how easily mosquito born viruses or other pathogens can reach global distributions. But also it's an important reminder that we have to consider their individual ecologies and pathology in predicting future risk, like for instance, dangae's multiple circulating serotypes or chicken Gunya's increased transmission via albul pictus. It's all very messy and it's all very complicated, but it's so important with that. Aaron, can you tell me what's going on with chicken gunya today?
Speaker 1: I can't wait to right after this break. Unsurprisingly, Aaron, let.
Speaker 2: Me guess we don't have good numbers.
Speaker 1: We don't. Yeah, it's hard to get a sense of global numbers. But what's interesting and different about the reason why for chicken gunya than anything else that we've covered is that chicken gunya really only tends to be reported in outbreaks. Everything about chicken gunya is there was an outbreak this year, There was an outbreak in this area, and an outbreak and outbreak and outbreak. It's like, when do we just start saying it's everywhere and these are just the cases that are happening.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a that's a question.
Speaker 1: Though I know it's a real question. I don't have an answer to it. It's like a genuine sounded like a sarcastic question, So genuine question.
Speaker 2: No, I'm I'm yeah, I'm very curious and like because it does seem like chicken Gunya could have like more of a propensity to pop up in outbreaks.
Speaker 1: Right because it does, spoiler, provide pretty long lasting immunity, and so as it races through a population causes a huge outbreak, then everyone has been exposed and now there's no more susceptible people in that particular population, and you have to wait for new people to be born or to move in, or for that virus to move to the town next door. So let's talk a little bit about the numbers that we do have and that we have seen and what chicken Gunya has been doing globally, shall we, Like you mentioned Aaron starting in two thousand and four, an outbreak in Kenya spread throughout the Indian Ocean and persisted for several years. This kind of one big outbreak. It spread to Lari, Union Island, where more than a third of the entire population became infected. It spread to India, where cases reached more than one point five million people by two thousand and six. By two thousand and seven, it continued. It's spread and octophenous one of my favorite words.
Speaker 2: Oh me too.
Speaker 1: Basically, local transmission was reported in Europe for the first time, possibly ever, with several hundred cases reported in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: Thank you Alba pictish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was just going to say, is that much of those outbreaks in the early two thousands were due to spread by albapictus. And so the strain that we saw of this virus was this strain that had these particular mutations that made it more able to be transmitted by eighties Alba pictus, which is the predominant vector in a lot of these parts of the globe. So that's fascinating, and it was terrifying, right, this was millions of people being infected in the early two thousands. By twenty thirteen. If we jump ahead, twenty thirteen is when we see chicking gunya spread to the Americas for the first time. In twenty thirteen, it was across Caribbean islands, where cases reached tens of thousands in a matter of months, and then rapidly spread to the South American, Central American North American continent, with twenty fourteen having over one million suspected cases reported to the Pan American Health Organization. Now, these cases, these strains do not have that albapictus gene and are spread primarily by eighties Egypti. So we've got them both all over the world.
Speaker 2: Well, and how difficult would it be for the one that doesn't have the eighties albapictus ability to gain.
Speaker 1: It, to gain it exactly, I mean it's already done it once.
Speaker 2: Right, or the one that does have it to continue.
Speaker 1: Its spread a thousand percent Aaron, Yes, And that's kind of the concern at this point. In a lot of parts of South America, chickiing gunya is now considered endemic, and yet still we mostly see reports of outbreaks. I tried to get a sense of scale globally, just like averages and I did find one paper that was looking at both chicken gunya and zeca virus, but trying to estimate the disability adjusted life years, which we've talked about on this podcast. These are imperfect measures, but they are one way to get a sense of the impact and burden of disease, and I think, in the case of chicken gunya, a really good way to do it, because we're not necessarily going to see a lot of death or mortality from chicken gunya, but we are going to see a lot of years of healthy life lost as the result of this disease, and that's what the disability adjusted life years are measuring. So in the case of chicken gunya, these researchers estimated a global annual burden looking at data from twenty ten to twenty nineteen of one hundred and six thousand disability adjusted life years.
Speaker 2: WOW, which is a lot.
Speaker 1: And these estimates were based on case estimate, so combined total global cased estimates of anywhere from fifty to three hundred and fifty thousand cases per year. And we know that again that varies because some years it might be more than a million, and some years it might be less. So it's pretty major. And again, up to forty percent of people infected are going to have chronic or in some cases permanent joint pain and potential disability as a result of this disease.
Speaker 2: That's such a high proportion, I.
Speaker 1: Know, it's really terrifying. One theme that I think we end up touching on a lot in this podcast, and you mentioned it aarin, especially in our vector born disease episodes, are the potential effects of things like land use change, climate change, urbanization and its effects on disease incidents and disease prevalence, And especially in the case of a vector born disease that is spread by urban human loving mosquitoes like chicken gunya, this is a particularly important thing to be worried about. Both of these mosquito species are very well suited for urban environments, so there are a lot of papers that have looked specifically at the effects of rapid urbanization on mosquito density and distribution. And the long and short of it is that it's terrifying news in terms of mosquito born disease, not just chicken gunya, but including chicken gunya. Because these papers tend to conclude that urbanization across the globe, not localized to one particular part of the world, correlates with a higher risk and abundance of these eighties mosquitoes. You have an increase in favorable breeding grounds. You have higher larval development rates in urban areas compared to natural areas. You have potential for greater adult survival time. And all of these things mean that you have a potential for greater vector competence, that these vectors are living longer and therefore transmitting or at least having the potential to transmit disease more readily.
Speaker 2: It's not good news.
Speaker 1: It's not good news. And then, of course there's also going to be the effects of climate change. Warming temperatures might mean shifts in vector distribution and vector habitat. They also will mean shifts in rainfall patterns and prevalents, as well as an increase in the strength or severity of natural disasters, and all of these have the potential to at a minimum shift thereby moving into new populations, if not also increase mosquito prevalence disease burden across the globe. I guess I didn't mean for this to be like such a bummer of an ending but I feel like that's an important part. Like arboviral diseases like chicken gunya have been popping up throughout human history always, they have been here with us, and I think that many of us probably remember when chicken gunya was making a ton of headlines in twenty thirteen and twenty fourteen because we had cases in Texas and in Florida, and then it went away and we forgot about it, except that it didn't go away. And these viruses, these diseases are not going away, and it takes a huge effort of like multidisciplinary public health work to be able to understand these risks and potentially reduce them.
Speaker 2: And it seems like an incredible challenge to do that. You're working against so many things. No, I have two questions, Okay, they're unrelated, Okay. The first one is about the impact of infection with chicken gunya virus in mosquitoes. Does it have any sort of negative impact?
Speaker 1: Great question. I didn't see anything on it, so not as far as I know, And I would guess if it's so easily vertically transmitted, then it's not as likely I would think, to have detrimental effects on the mosquitos themselves.
Speaker 2: Follow up related question before I get into my second question, Wellbacchia yestion.
Speaker 1: Mark, Yeah, I don't so Wellbaccia For anyone who doesn't remember, I think I talked about it in our Dengay episode. Sure question Mark, I think it was Dan Gay. Wellbaccia is a symbiotic bacteria that live in a lot of insects species, including mosquitoes, and there is a lot of really interesting research on Wallbaccia and other microbiome bugs that live inside of these mosquitos and their potential effects on either increasing or decreasing the ability of these mosquitoes to spread disease. I don't have a final answer because I just didn't have time to dig into it, but there does seem to be at least some evidence that some wobakia, if introduced two ads mosquitoes, might decrease the transmission of chicken gunya.
Speaker 2: So maykay interesting asterisk.
Speaker 1: There's more there. I just didn't read it.
Speaker 2: There's there's potential. I got it, Okay. So now my second non related question is vaccine. Yeah, because chicken gunya induces a long immunity.
Speaker 1: It does, so there's a lot of theoretical potential for a vaccine. There's also a lot of various groups and people that have been working on vaccine development. So there are at least ten, possibly more, candidate vaccines that are all at various stages in clinical trial. There's probably one or two in almost every phase one, two, and three. Most of them are in pretty early clinical trials. But there is a vaccine of almost every flavor. There are mRNA vaccine candidates, there's live attenuated vaccine candidates. There are measles vector vaccine candidates, and viral particle vaccine candidates. But we don't have any that I could tell. We're particularly close to licensure at this point. Okay, Yeah, but the potential exists, and there's people working on it. I have a feeling it's largely down too funding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as per us as per us.
Speaker 1: So that's chicken good, Yeaharon, Okay, I don't know. Is that enough?
Speaker 2: I think so, I mean, there was a lot there's I mean, there's also like it's very clear that there are limitations and knowledge about chicken.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I can't wait to see what we learn in the coming decades, Darren.
Speaker 2: I'm hopefully it'll be a lot h well sources sources speaking of learning a lot, I have a ton of sources for this episode. I will post them all, but I want to shout out too in particular, so one by Weaver and Forrester from twenty fifteen was really great about sort of the evolutionary history and the history of it spread since nineteen fifty two. And then for the discussion of dangay versus chicken gunya and all of that, there's that paper by Donald Kerrey from nineteen seventy one called Chicken Gunya and Dangay a Case of Mistaken identity.
Speaker 1: That one sounds fun. I also had a lot of papers for this episode. One of my favorites for the biology was a Nature Reviews microbiology paper from twenty ten, so a little old that was called the Biology and Pathogenesis of Chicken Gunya Vibevirus. And one of my favorites, just because I love this topic, was from Plas Neglected Tropical Diseases in twenty twenty one, and that was the role of urbanization in the spread of eighties mosquitoes and the diseases they transmit a systemic review. So I definitely have that one too. It's a good one. It's terri fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We'll post our sources from this episode and every single one of our episodes on our website, this podcast will kill you dot Com under the episodes tap.
Speaker 2: We certainly will. Thank you so much to Bloodmobile for providing the music for this episode and all of our episodes.
Speaker 1: Thank you to exactly Right Network.
Speaker 2: And thank you to you listeners. I hope that you enjoyed this first foray into a mosquito born virus. This season sounds like a very specific topic now that I say it, but it's not.
Speaker 1: I feel like we have done our mosquito born diseases in very interesting orders, so totally but yeah, thank you listeners, hopefully you enjoyed this. A special shout out to our patrons. Thank you so much for your support.
Speaker 2: Absolutely we can't thank you enough.
Speaker 1: And this is our second to last episode as a reminder. As a reminder, so make sure you are subscribed to our social media and to our podcast wherever you're listening so that you don't miss it when next season drops.
Speaker 2: Very well done, erin thanks and until our season finale, wash your hands, you filthy animals. Um