Speaker 1: It might be hard to remember at this point, but think back to just after the election. This is what a lot of the news sounded like.
Speaker 2: Did an election that was supposed to revolve around women's issues actually come down to the flight of.
Speaker 3: Men young men.
Speaker 1: The headline was that men, and especially young men, swung big for Trump. His campaign even consulted Baron Trump for tips on which podcast he should go on, which young male influencers he should court, and with the help of money from big oil, Peter Teal and Elon Musk. It worked. Not because Trump went on those podcasts per se, but because he tapped into the ethos of those guys and made himself the candidate for aggrieved young.
Speaker 4: Men of the people. I want to bend to know boys An ross Uh, theil baughn also with the boys and left, but not least the mighty and powerful Joe Rogan.
Speaker 1: And practically the same breast. Trump promised to roll back the rights of women and trans people, conduct mass deportation of immigrants, get the EPA, and get rid of anything that looks like climate policy. At this point, you might be wondering why we're talking about the manosphere. On Drilled, a climate podcast. The answer is simple, the long standing and ever increasing overlap between male grievance culture and climate denial and delay. In this four part mini series, we're going to explore how gender and environmental issues have intersected throughout history, what the fossil fuel industry has done over the past century to feminize caring about climate change, and what on Earth we might be able to do about it. We're calling it Carbon Bros. I'm Amy Westervelt, and to guide us through much of that story, I'm very happy to introduce my co host for this season, the great Daniel Penny. Daniel's been writing and thinking about these issues for a lot longer than I have in GQ, The New York Times, The New Yorker, and on his own podcast on this subject, Non Toxic.
Speaker 3: Thanks. Amy, So excited to be doing this show together. There are a lot of ways malesculinity and climate are tied up in our culture and politics, and we'll be diving into a few of them. But I think you're right that the most obvious place to start is the so called manosphere. This is the write coded online world of dudes like Joe Rogan, Andrew Tate, Jordan Peterson, Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 5: Stephen Krauda, Matt Walsh, Tucker Carlson, Van Manteno, Theo Wong, Jake and Logan, Paul.
Speaker 6: Lever, King, Andrew Huberman.
Speaker 3: Ben Elk, Boys, Flagrant, and many others.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I've heard of some of these guys, but that is a long ass list, and honestly, some of these names sound like they've been made up. I don't buy it.
Speaker 3: It's impossible to keep up with all of them, and because we live in such a fractured media ecosystem, you're not going to hear about many of these guys unless you're actively seeking them out, or you've got a man in your life who's a big fan, which I feel bad for you if you do. Some of these guys are explicitly anti feminist, but most are just entertainers who like to talk about typical men's hobbies sports, martial arts, cars, science and tech, sex and dating with a bit of right wing climate denile mixed in.
Speaker 7: If you're a male in a society with that ethos, you're associated with rapaciousness and despoilation on the natural front, and then oppression and atrocity on the social front. It's like, well, then if you're the least bit conscientious, because this sort of accusation hurts conscientious.
Speaker 8: Young man the most.
Speaker 7: Then the best you can do is, well.
Speaker 3: Let's say castrate yourself. How would that be?
Speaker 9: This climate change narrative, this is a really coofy thing that people on the left are talk about. This is because of climate change. This is climate change causes fire. It's just la. It's not climate change.
Speaker 5: Climate change is real, but it's not the most serious environmental problem in the world. It's not the end of the world, and we need to be telling kids the truth.
Speaker 10: If you don't recognize those voices, that was Canadian psychologist turned podcaster Jordan Peterson, failed comedian turned MMA announcer turned podcaster Joe Rogan, and a relatively new intrant to the manosphere Breakthrough Institute co founder turned to Twitter files thread guy, self proclaimed journalist and newsletter star somehow not yet a podcaster, Michael Schellenberger.
Speaker 1: We included him here because he's a super obvious example of why we're even talking about the manosphere undrilled in the first place. Shellenberger is like horseshoe theory come to life, and his journey from environmental pr guy to climate skeptic to dipping a toe in the misogyny and anti trans universe. Illustrates just how porous the lines between these two worlds is. And there are plenty of other dudes like them popping up all the time. The podcaster Dan Bongino is actually deputy director of the FBI, so I guess there's always hope that podcasting will land me a powerful government job. I still cannot get over that that, like someone from this list is working a pretty high level government job.
Speaker 3: For these guys, masculinity and climate are linked in a larger reactionary project. They want to return world to some imaginary golden age when energy was cheap and men were in charge. And their message is resonating, not just with the out of work blue collar guys pundits were so obsessed with. After Trump's victory in twenty sixteen. Those guys in the diner remember them, but with younger educated men, black men, Latino men, and plenty of others. According to Exit Holding in twenty twenty four, Trump won one fifth of black men and nearly half of Latino men. They might be strange to quote Andrew Breitbart, but I agree with him when he said politics is downstream from culture. For the past decade, these dubiously credentialed but very influential men have shaped the conversation not just around masculinity, but around climate too. Sometimes in the same breath.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is the piece that feels pretty new to me, and also like something that has been pretty strategic and intentional and in a pretty smart way. This masculine sort of reactionary politics has been around for a long time, but it's been adapted really easily to tap into some real issues facing young men today inflation, wage stagnation, and pin those issues on feminists and climate activists.
Speaker 3: Peterson and Rogan don't always talk about climate, but they're doing so more and more these days. Just like fitness instructors and guys who give business advice on TikTok have been solely blending political talking points into their podcasts, Peterson and Rogan have been incorporating fossil fuel talking points into their shows.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Schellenberger has long been a so called reformed environmentalist raising an eyebrow at climate action, but he's only recently come around to what I've been calling the gentleman grift. So, you know, the relationship between climate deniers and gender warriors goes both ways. Here's a clip of Schellenberger talking at a recent conference for a new fun little group created by Peterson called the Alliance for a Responsible Citizenship. It brings a lot of the Manosphere folks together with climate skeptics like Puren Lomberg and Vivic Ramaswami, hardcore Brexit folks like Nigel Farage, far right politicians from the US, UK, Australia and Canada, gender critical anti transactivists, and of course a sprinkling of dreadwibs.
Speaker 5: The moralizing men, the woe men are actually weak men. Manly men are an improvement. Without any morality or sense of concern or empathy, they become an Andrew Tait. We can strive for something better, to be gentlemen. Gentlemen are men that have the power of violence and aggression, but they would never use it to take advantage of the week and the vulnerable. Instead, they would use it to build a civilized society.
Speaker 3: Andrew Tait is a useful foil for the gentleman battalion of the Manisphere Army. They can always point to Tate, an alleged sex trafficker and Ponzi schemer and say we're not misogynists, We're not like that guy, while still spreading their regressive ideas about gender and their reactionary social views and complacency about climate change. Even Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, enemy of all things woke, had this to say when the Tate Brothers landed in his state to fight a recent case.
Speaker 5: No, Florida is not a place where you're welcome with those that type of conduct.
Speaker 3: And I don't know how it came to this. These guys go on each other's shows to grow their audiences and reinforce one another's message, or to just get paid because there's a lot of fossil fuel money slashing around the manisphere too. Just sticking with podcasts. Nine out of the ten with the largest followings across platforms or right leaning, with a total following of more than one hundred and ninety seven million, all but one of them hosted by men. The leading conservative cable news channel Box gets around three million viewers during prime time. To understand exactly how the pieces of this puzzle fit together, I sat down with Kayla Gogherty, author of a new report from Media matters.
Speaker 11: What our findings underscore is that the rights as a disproportionate reached to a wide variety of audiences. We looked at about three hundred and twenty top online shows that either have a right leaning or left leaning ideological bent, and what we found was that a lot of these shows are not outright saying that they're ideological, and yet when you dig into the content of the shows, you start to see how some of these right wing talking points are seeping into their conversations. And so these audiences are not going to these shows for politics and news, and yet they are starting to hear it during these conversations amid celebrity interviews and other comedians that you know you might like and want to listen to, and now you're hearing some of these right wing talking points. During the election, specifically, you know, we saw Trump appear on several of these large podcasts, Joe Rogan for instance, Full Send. And that's why some people have kind of dubbed it the podcast election.
Speaker 3: Boys. I know a lot of you guys are thinking, like me, You're seeing what's happening in this country.
Speaker 5: Everything's just getting.
Speaker 3: Really really weird.
Speaker 7: You got men plan and women's sports, the borders wide open.
Speaker 5: This election might be the most important election in.
Speaker 3: US is three and of the restoration.
Speaker 11: They're not going there for news and politics. They're going there to hear from their favorite comedians. They're going there to hang out with the bros basically, and so they go on different shows and they kind of have this camaraderie and that makes these your listeners kind of feel like in the club, you know.
Speaker 1: But how did these dudes who just love martial arts and comedy before become mouthpieces for misogyny and climate denial.
Speaker 3: So there are really a few different species of these dudes. Some of these guys started as legacy media conservative darlings, like former Fox host Tucker Carlson, who has endorsed the idea that wind turbines kill whales and that sunning your scrotum increases sperm quality. And then you've got guys like Charlie Kirk of Turning Point USA, or Dennis Prager of the conservative edutainment company Prager You and Ben Shapiro, who started The Daily Wire, which hosts Jordan Peterson's show. By the way, these guys represent the next generation of right wing voice with deep connections to fossil fuel donors like the Texas fracking billionaires Farris and Dan Wilkes. Amy. I know you're very familiar with the Wilkes brothers.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's been a few really great pieces of reporting on these guys over the years. The one I always think of is this article that Jeff Dembickie wrote for Vice News a while ago where he talked about how the Wilkes brothers have really tied this into kind of evangelical Christianity as well. So, for example, at his church, Dan Wilkes requires women to quote keep silence and has told his congregates that climate change is God's will. Here's a quote from a twenty thirteen sermon he delivered, just to give you a flavor. He said, if he wants the polar caps to remain in place, then he will leave them there.
Speaker 3: And conservatives have been doing this for a long time, building networks of talent to get out their message. Here's Kayla.
Speaker 12: Conservatives and conservative donors. They put money into building these networks, and they have been doing that for years. We saw them dominate you know, right wing talk radio for instance, back in the nineties and early two thousands. You know the rush Limbas and the Glenn Becks, they really dominated that space. Then you saw them move into cable and that you know, now you see Fox started to really dominate that space. We saw that with social media as well, and now we're really seeing that with the online media ecosystem. So these they kind of are thinking about the big picture and trying to build out this infrastructure and have been doing that for years.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's an obvious reason why donors like the Wilks Brothers would be investing money to boost the careers of climate denying anti feminist podcasters.
Speaker 3: But then there are the dudes like Joe Rogan or the guys from Flagrant who didn't always have an opinion on climate change, or their opinion seems to shift all the time. Sometimes in the case of Brogan, he was having guests like David Wallace Wells, the climate columnist for The New York Times and author of the book The Uninhabitable Earth, which is all about what unchecked climate change will look like in a few years. So Rogan has really shifted in recent years, as has his audience, and part of his shift maybe algorithmic. We've all heard about the way YouTube and TikTok can radicalize their viewers by showing them increasingly extreme content just to keep them watching. So Kayla's team at Media Matters actually did an experiment about how this works, using clips from the top five podcasts on TikTok, which include a lot of our guys.
Speaker 11: And the algorithm is really good at kind of leading you down these rabbit holes. We actually just published a study within the last few days TikTok new TikTok account and we followed five of the leading podcasters. So we followed a page that had full sense content for instance, that had Joe Rogan's content for instance.
Speaker 8: Well, the third type.
Speaker 9: That got mentioned on mission was reptilios.
Speaker 8: They don't want to talk about the reptilion presence at all.
Speaker 9: Was there any sort of an explanation did anybody give you of why they don't want to talk about it?
Speaker 11: But we wanted to see what following some of these kind of podcasters and seeing this content once you're starting to see that content, we.
Speaker 12: Wanted to see where TikTok's for you page would lead you.
Speaker 11: We found that the algorithm started leading us down to conspiracy theories and toxic masculinity videos and by Toxic Toxic Masculinity videos.
Speaker 12: They were often framed as motivational.
Speaker 8: What's your dream my father asked, grinding until my bank account looks like a phone.
Speaker 11: They had clips of like expensive watches and boats and cars and and you know, very.
Speaker 12: Kind of Andrew Tate esque.
Speaker 11: I would say, where he's talking about, like, you know, getting rich?
Speaker 3: Really I decided to get rich rich.
Speaker 4: Step one is I've tried decided to be very logical about it.
Speaker 3: Just player right, So it's like, I want money? What is money?
Speaker 11: Using even some of his voiceovers, So some of the sounds would use his voice and would talk about, you know, coaching men about their girlfriends.
Speaker 12: In one instance, we.
Speaker 11: Saw a video say, uh, tell her that you're going to quit your job because you want to chase your dreams and run your own business.
Speaker 12: Those sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is wild. And how many people are starting with these podcasts and then winding up watching these clips.
Speaker 3: So it's hard to say exactly because these clips are broken up in so many different ways and distributed around the internet. But Kayla, you know, could say more people are tuning into podcasts and online shows, for instance, than they are into cable news. We did it, Daniel, We did it. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure that non toxic or drilled are included in those top podcasts, but you know, we're trying. And Kayla also had some interesting data to back her up, which was that according to Nielsen streaming viewership, it's forty three percent of Americans versus twenty four percent who watch cable or broadcast news, and Pew had a study that majority of Americans fifty four percent, get most of their news online.
Speaker 11: Wow.
Speaker 3: Another Pew study from the previous year in twenty twenty three found that eighty seven percent of people who hear the news on podcasts said they expect it to be mostly accurate, and thirty one percent said that they even trust the news they hear from podcasts more than traditional news.
Speaker 1: That is terrible because, unlike US, most podcasts do not fact check like at all. I mean, Jogan is sort of famously anti fact checking. Okay, so we know that people in general are getting their news from podcasts and trusting it more than they should, and we know that more men are getting surprised political talking points when they tune into Manosphere podcasts, But is that actually translating to the voting booth, especially on climate Do we know how differently men and women actually view the climate crisis and how that is turning up in their votes.
Speaker 3: So about seven to ten Americans believe in climate change and think humans are contributing to the warming of the atmosphere. But there's a gap between men and women, and it's pretty large, especially when you drill down by age or party. If you're listening to this podcast and you're a man, you probably care about climate change. And if you're not a man, you probably know men who care about climate change. But I'm sorry to say that drilled and non toxic listeners aren't not representative of the average American.
Speaker 6: Now, Well, we do see differences between men and women when it comes to climate change.
Speaker 3: This is Alec Tyson, Associate director of Research at pe Research Center.
Speaker 6: Women tend to be more concerned about the issue and more willing to either take action or see themselves as playing a role in addressing the issue.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is really fascinating and I'm honestly kind of surprised that this is still the case. I know that from stuff that I've worked on before. The pollsters working for the fossil fuel industry figured this out a long time ago, like in the nineties, and really leaned into it. I did not realize it was still working quite so well.
Speaker 3: Right, It is interesting how much that gender gap is still very present today, and it may actually be getting wider. Alex studies public views on science and technology, and he's been looking at the particular differences between men and women when it comes to whether climate change is happening and how ct is that we deal with it.
Speaker 6: Seventy two percent of women view it as a very or moderately big problem. That shares fifty six percent among men, So a sizeable shares of both groups, but a sixteen point gap here where women are expressing more concern about the importance or urgency of the issue.
Speaker 3: Here, and for the men who don't believe in climate change or who don't think it's salient, how does that lack of interest in climate or lack of belief in the climate crisis track with other political beliefs or political identities.
Speaker 6: So just among men men who lean or identify with the Republican Party, just twenty nine percent view climate change as a salient problem. Let's talk about men who leaner identify with the Democratic Party. Ninety percent view climate change as a highly salient problem. That's a sixty one point gap within men. We're talking about men. We're staying within gender here, but this partisan difference between Republican men and Democratic men is enormous.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's a sixteen point gap, sixteen point gap that really that does kind of blow my mind between American men and women. But then there's also this huge divide among men on the importance or even the reality of climate change depending on their political party affiliation. What's that about.
Speaker 3: So it turns out that climate denial doesn't just correlate with being a man, but with a particular type of men. Men who care about the idea of traditional masculinity are way more likely to be climate deniers. Here's alec on that.
Speaker 6: We have great colleagues who did a survey on men in masculinity, and they share who describe themselves as highly masculine or very masculine, they tend to be older men and more politically conservative men. So I looked at that same group and we looked at some climate attitudes and descriptively, absolutely, there's a difference that older, more politically conservative men are both more likely to be themselves asi masculine and more likely to be skeptical about human contributions to climate change, and also less concerned about the issue generally.
Speaker 1: Hearing your conversation with alec, I was actually reminded of something we did on Drilled. All the way back in season one. There was a story about a group of fossil fuel executives who wanted to change the narrative about climate change and discovered something very interesting about how masculinity relates to climate change messaging.
Speaker 3: Tell me more.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the group was called ICE, not Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, the new bad ICE, but the Information Council for the Environment. This is early nineteen ninety one, the summer of nineteen eighty eight, just a couple of years before, had seen Jim Hansen's testimony before Congress that climate change was now visible. We had a burning planet on the cover of Time magazine. A little bit after this, the Real Earth Summit is coming in nineteen ninety two. So climate change is on everyone's mind and there's growing census that governments need to do something about it.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing the fossil fuel industry didn't like that.
Speaker 8: No, they did not. The nationwide heatwave, remember it technically because it were on a vacation, we were going to have on the eastern shore, on the Chesapeake Bay, on the World Waters all one drive.
Speaker 1: This is Fred Palmer, a cole lobbyist who worked on the ICE campaign, talking to Guardian reporter Graham Redfern.
Speaker 8: Jim Hansen, who never was muscled in any circumstances by anybody, came in front of that subcommittee and announced this with the leading ede catastrophic global warming, with his loaded dice and the internet and the best international the next morning, and we've been harding about it evercess Well, you know, at the time, I don't think people really understood the import of it. But I did understand the import of it, and I engaged immediately. But ICE was not my idea. The pr pro where was not my idea. I've always been about education. But I think being professional channibly did it.
Speaker 3: Palmer says he eventually got disillusioned with ICE and decided to focus more on science and education. But what exactly did he mean when he said we did it? What did ICE do? So?
Speaker 1: ICE was part of a really successful campaign. They figured out specific audiences to target with climate Nile talking points, and it really moved the needle from the majority of Americans accepting the science and being concerned to more or less the mess we have. Now here's Kurt Davies, a longtime Greenpeace researcher who's now at the Center for Climate Integrity, telling us all about their campaign back on Season one of drilled.
Speaker 13: Data indicates eighty nine percent say they have heard of global warming, eighty two percent claim some familiarity with global warming, eighty percent claim the problem is somewhat serious, while forty five percent claim it is very serious, and thirty nine percent back federal legislation without any quantification of cost. And only twenty two percent of those consider themselves green consumers.
Speaker 1: So this thing that he's talking about is really important. It's again nineteen ninety one. Governments are starting to get behind the idea of not just national policy, but actually global agreements to tackle emissions. And it's not just environmentalists who know and care about this. It's breaking through.
Speaker 13: So it's penetrated. A vast majority have heard of the issue, think it's serious, and the campaign is to reverse that, is to change that. The strategies quote unquote include repositioning global warming as a theory parentheses, not fact. They talk about specifically the target audiences of this test round that they're going to do to see if their theory works, that they can move people, and it says people who respond favorably to such statements are quote older, less educated males from larger households who are not typically active information seekers and are not likely to be green consumers.
Speaker 3: Let's put that in plain English. They figured out that old white dudes without college degrees were susceptible to climate disinformation exactly.
Speaker 1: Also fun fact, both Palmer and the Edison Electric Institute are still around today and still pushing a lot of the same talking points. They're still trying to protect coal too, although Edison is also very into protecting gas at the moment. Ice is no longer around after an expose decades ago leaked their internal documents, but they were really, really effective at the time, and their success became the basis of one of my favorite sociology studies of all time. Daniel, you know what I'm going to say, Cool Dudes truly an excellent title for an academic I've honestly never seen, never seen a better title. The subtitle was quote the denial of climate change amongst conservative white males in the United States. It was conducted by the sociologists Air Micwright and Riley Dunlap, and they found that conservative white men were and I'm quoting here, significantly more likely than other Americans to endorse denihialist views, and that these differences are even greater for those conservative white males who self report understanding global warming very well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the guys who are doing their own research.
Speaker 1: As soon as I read that line, I'm like, oh God, I know these I know these men very well. I love how blunt and straightforward they are. In this study, they write, we conclude that the unique views of conservative white males contribute significantly to the high level of climate change denial in the United States. Well, not a lot of gray there, No, It makes it really easy to see how we get the conservative talk radio star climate denier and anti feminist you know them and love them, Rush Limbaugh. Right around this time as well. Ice actually wrote an ad for Rush Limbaugh's show back in nineteen ninety two. We unfortunately don't have a clip of that ad, but we've got hours of Rush's rants about climate change. Here's a little taste. We've had numerous stories in recent years.
Speaker 2: About expeditions to Antarctica to study climate change and global warming getting stuck in ice so thick that icebreakers couldn't even reach them, and they were shocked, and they were stunned. They believe their own nonsense that the ice at the North and South Pauls is melting when it's not.
Speaker 3: It's getting bigger again. That was not true.
Speaker 1: The North and South Pools are actually melting faster than many scientists initially predicted. But the upshot of all this is that we're still dealing with the results of this ice media campaign. It's reflected in those opinion numbers that Alec from Pugh is talking about. Over the last thirty years, climate de nile has become a core part of conservative male identity.
Speaker 3: But it's not as simple as just blaming the coal and oil industries for targeting men with misleading information, which they did. The twisted relationship between masculinity and the domination of the natural world runs a lot deeper. If we want to understand why the climate denial messaging of the far right and the manosphere has been so effective, we need to wind back the clock to a time when men were real men, women were real women, and trucks only needed electricity to power their cigarette lighters.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's our story next time.
Speaker 3: Carbon Bros. Is an original series from Drilled and Non Toxic written by me Daniel Penny.
Speaker 1: And me Amy Westervelt. Our senior producer and sound designer is Martin Zelt's. He also composed our theme song.
Speaker 3: Our audio engineer is Peter Duff.
Speaker 1: Fact checking by Shilpa Jindia.
Speaker 3: Original artwork by Matthew Fleming.
Speaker 1: Marketing by Maggie Taylor.
Speaker 3: As the pod Bros, we've been talking about, love to say, smash those like and subscribe buttons.
Speaker 1: Check out the Non Toxic podcast for more on the manosphere, and go to Drill dot Media for more climate reporting and to support our work.
Speaker 3: Lastly, if you know a dude who should be listening to this show, please share it. See you next time.