Speaker 1: It's time for the b a q a to b a q a, the b q a man da, the b a q a tiffan a, the b a q pay a. Okay, it's brandna bitching question answers. You have questions, We have some answers. Although we are not your doctor, you're not your attorney, your financial advisor. Basically, you don't pay us to answer questions, so that means that this is not professional question answers were entertainment, although we are too smart and brilliant beautiful brown girls. But you're gonna use the smallest grain of salt and then you're gonna lean into people that you do pay for the rest of the information you need. Okay, aka sue your grandmother, not us. All right.
Speaker 2: Our first question comes from a listener. Sounds spicy kyenne cayenne. All right, She says, Hey, Mandy and Tiffany, I've been listening to you both for about two years now, and I absolutely love the show. You're both so funny, and even when it doesn't relate to me at all, I just feel so much better after listening.
Speaker 1: To my two besties.
Speaker 2: It I don't who don't know why I exist? Yes, we do.
Speaker 1: Cayenne.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's so sweet, all right, she says. I am an immigrant from Jamaica and we came here after losing our business to COVID. We basically lost everything. While we still have our house, but we also have a lot of debt and no savings and no retirement. I've been burying my head in the sand for far too long. I'm forty six, my husband's forty eight. He's working full time again but only making about sixty five K. I work from home and make about thirty K. We have two kids, one in private school on a scholarship, okay, and part of the reason that we moved here, but it's still expensive. Basically, I'm feeling overwhelmed all the time, and I don't know where to start to get out of debt, to save, to get financially independent, and to plan for retirement, which isn't far away. Seriously, what should I do? Woof ben for a couple of years. That's your business to COVID.
Speaker 1: So sorry to hear that, Yeah, go for it, but they still have your house, which is awesome. So first, we're going to be grateful for the things we do have, but it also acknowledged the things that we don't right, and so hmm, okay, well working from home, just looking.
Speaker 2: No place like America to make you feel.
Speaker 1: Like I mean, what I would say is that there's only one or two ways to have more money, right. You either have to spend less or you have to make more. That's just that's just it. There's no other magical way. And you know, although I'm the budget neist to certainly I'm I don't know your personal finances, so I like to kind of typically start just to do a scan of like is there any place where I might be overspending that I'm like not really acknowledging like that I'm overspending. So maybe sit down with your partner and just take a look like do we really need this? Can we you know, can we trade in the car for something with a smaller you know, can we refinance? You know? Well, I don't know about these days, because you know, the interest rates are crazy, but I would just start there, is that, like, let me look at what my life's costing me and is there any place where, especially the obvious places, where I can make financial adjustment? So that's one, and then and probably most importantly, asking yourself, is there are there ways to make additional income or increase the income where you're currently making, And so Mandy will tell you, like, you know, one of the best places to make more money is that your job. I'm sure Manday's got to go over hopefully some negotiating tactics for asking for more money. Do you have like a brag book or go meet file that kind of illustrate your open the value, the overwhelming value that you bring to the table, so you can go in asking for more money? Is your LinkedIn updated in a way that you know, you can apply for another job that maybe similar skill set, but you can make more money. And so those are the places that I would start. I wouldn't you know, if you are already feeling tight, like we really don't spend and don't spend a lot of time on cutting back, if you really feel confident you're not hugely overspending, but everyone is spending a little bit, you know, like more than what's necessary, and that's okay. But I would lean a lot of my time and energy into like learning and figuring out how we can make additional income so you can create that space. And in the beginning it's really just I mean I don't know if you're making enough to cover your basic bills. It sounds like if you're leaning on debt a lot. That's not necessarily the case. So first order of business getting clear about how much money you need to make to cover your basic bills. Once you get that income coming in, you can start to put your debt on kind of like an automated system for yourself. Look into the snowball method and the avalanche method at paying down debt, and once you get pretty secure on that, then you can start to look into setting aside money for savings and retirement, especially the retirement component, because you are you're not quite over fifty yet, but once you get over fifty, it's only four forty six. For some time, I saw forty eight. Okay, her husband's forty eight. That's her hobby, you know, So you can start to think about in two years he will be able to do something called catch up contributions, which means not only can you contribute you know, your regular retirement maximount, but then you can also contribute above and beyond that, you know. So that would be my aim is to make more money, cut back, you know, by looking at what I'm currently spending make more money by either looking for another job, asking for a raise. I'm doing. You know, you don't always necessarily have to have a side hustle, because I know I could be really stressful, especially if you're overwhelmed. You know, once you get to a safer space, starting to save and set aside for you know, for retirement. I know this is hard because sometimes these days you just be like it'll never get better. And I just hope you give yourself a little grace in space and make sure you don't do this alone and if you just need some like support support. I have this free group called the Dream Catchers with an s group. It's just other mostly women, but we have some guys in there who are navigating similar circumstances. Because the answer these days to personal finances that you can't do it alone. You know, you you.
Speaker 2: Need there's no shortcuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need community, and so.
Speaker 2: I think the internet will have you out here thinking there's shortcuts. Yeah, like I have to do this really quickly. Yeah, it takes you a long, Like you built a business. I wonder if there are American citizens too, and if that changes any of the rules around investing. I mean they're here, so I'm guessing, she said, I I don't know how that works.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But my first thing is you're making thirty k working from home and you started that up. You've only been here a couple of years. I'm just like, you're you're starting from scratch in a lot of ways. My question around the debt, Tiffany, is at what point, when you're starting over you've lost a business. I'm like, why can't you file bankruptcy, restructure some of that debt, you know, get some of the debts off your you know, off your books. Yes, it will tank your credit and there's all these downsides, of course, but.
Speaker 1: It used to be bankruptcy will wipe you clean, you know. So, but these days sometimes they want you to be damned near broke, like they're like, get rid of everything. Yeah, well some like you know, it's sometimes it's like you they're only let you have a certain amount of money left over because they're like, you're not gonna fole for banruptcy and have all this money, you know, which you might not. So that's something certainly like if the debt is as that's the results of the business, maybe the business files for bankruptcy. I don't know what type of business entity that you that you have, but that is a potential. I don't know what so much debt is. Is it thirty thousand, is it three hundred thousand? Is it student loan debt? You know, federal student loan debt that doesn't qualify for bankruptcy dismissal. So looking at that debt and really getting an understanding about like who, like who do you owe and can you call and negotiate maybe like a pause and payment. It's really going to be step by step to all.
Speaker 2: The COVID relief programs. Yes, yeah, the COVID relief programs are kind of done. And since you're an immigrant, I just don't know what the eligibility requirements are in all of that. But you have the house in Jamaica. I feel like a lot you know, people who live in Jamaica. It's not all like a luxury condo on the beach. But could you rent to get some income even if you know, just rent it out potentially to drum up some income and it Yeah, I wouldn't say sell because I imagine it must be really hard to sell your home. It's the last time you have left right. But my as far as like negotiating for more, you're only making thirty K. I mean, I hate to say only we're working from home. I wish we had more details. But what are you doing and how can you ramp it up? And I think you'll be able to think more clearly if you just like take a breath and give yourself permission for this to take a little bit of time. You haven't said that you guys aren't able to like pay your rent or whatever. It is like you're able to keep it sounds like you're just like you're making ends meet, but it's you have this like this cloud hanging over you, which is like retirement saving debt. If you're making ends meet, just like that's okay. The the most important thing is for you to have savings set aside so that you guys can cover your own you know. And then I would say, look at what types of debt you have, Maybe get in touch with a credit counseling organization like the NFCC National or NFCC or whatever. Does she say where she lives in the US, because there may be some state programs, community programs. Don't be afraid to reach out a hand and ask for help and look for resources. And yeah, you're in a place now where you're going to need to open up ask for help. You're feeling overwhelmed because I think you are and maybe doing it alone? You know, does your husband?
Speaker 1: Do you? Guys?
Speaker 2: Are you open with each other about how you're feeling? Can you find like you know, do you have family here who can you lean into in your community so that you're not doing it alone? And I love tip your tip about joining the dream Catchers because this is not going to be an easy road out. The only way is through. I just don't want you to start beating yourself up with the idea that it has to all be happening right now, because the reality is that it probably can't. You are going to have to make more money from your business or find other sources of income. Your husband maybe he will after he gets you know, this this work experience. He can find another job and negotiate for more and increase his income that way. But it's not something you can snap your fingers and do immediately, which may be frustrating, but we keep it one hundred. You just have to make a plan, ye execute that plan. Whatever the plan is make a plan. A credit counselor can help you make that plan and.
Speaker 1: Also made whole. I'm going to plug the new book help you with a step by step plan. So what I call financial hollness mad whole workbook dot com. If you will please well hopefully this was yeah, read text book. We're gonna take a quick break. Yes, I will be back and black it a never all right, buye, I mean not by see you in a minute, and we're blacking back. So this is funny because this question from oldiesh and unsure. I love this because, first of all, oldest, you ain't oldest, only thirty nine years overall, don't make me feel old. I have a question my job, not career. She specified right, office of four one K, but no employer match. Were just looking about this and I have almost been there one year and was automatically set up to deduct three percent for my paycheck to go to the four one K. Okay. In my latest statement, glad you're looking at it, I noticed each quarter I'm being charged administrative fees. How many of y'all didn't realize that you get admin fees on your former k? Really, any retirement investment account is typically going to have some sort of fees yep h which total twenty five dollars to one hundred dollars a year. I'm thirty nine and have a wroth IRA and several mutual funds established for my retirement. Should I continue to invest the eighty three dollars per paycheck in my four one K or should I automate that amount and then some to a pre existing WROTH or mutual fund. Now, like I said prior, oldiest, and I'm sure we're not gonna call you older, We're gonna call you fabulous. But unsure because you're thirty nine, says forty two, don't do this, sus don't do this, So unsure. I al really like employ man. I don't really like four one k's or making four one k's a priority if there's no match. So to answer your question, I honestly, especially now that these you know, you have these admin fees, which is not gonna offset anything. So you know you're if you're putting in let's just say eighty three you know what is that times Let's do the math we're mathing today. Eighty three pre times twelve is nine hundred ninety six. So Basically, one thousand dollars a year's what you're putting in, and of the thousand, they're taking ten percent in fees. So in order for you to come up, you would you would have to make more than ten percent on your investments. Right, because you're putting in a thousand, you're losing one hundred. One hundred is ten percent of one thousand. That means your money would have to grow beyond that loss in administration fees, which the average the market has been averaging for the last hundred years eight to ten percent. So you're gonna end up like net even, right, So, like the money you put in is literally the money you'll get out. It's looking like instead of a four one K plan, you looking like you put money to save this gown, not even because Savis accounts these days are at least giving you one percent. Sis says, says, So I would if it's eighty three dollars.
Speaker 2: You've actually read her fine print.
Speaker 1: A girl, I'm so, I'm proud of you. Honestly, I'm unsure ish we gonna call you smart, smart, but unsure that yes, I would redirect that eighty three someplace elves and I would not consider that four one k again, unless I had enough to offset the administrative fees. So if I was putting in safe, you were putting in four hundred bucks a month, you know, then the administrative fees would be a smaller percentage of what you put in, and it might make sense.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this is exactly why I don't even love like some investing apps because they have like a dollar amount fee that they charge, which if you're like, if you're investing your pocket change, that's a that's a big like Tiffany said, when you break it down by the fee divided by what you're actually investing, like, it's a big it's a big amount of fees. So I can't even think. But I would say, just like Tiffany said earlier to our previous almost said caller to our previous listener, about going to like Magnify Money, but going and doing your googles and research to find a brokerage account and being realistic about how much you can contribute and then see what kind of fees they have, because the fee may be different depending on like how much you're going to contribute a month. Each month, it might be a little bit more if you're contributing less and then less if you're contributing more. It's twisted and rude of them to do it that way, but that's how a lot of them. It's how a bees. Sometimes. That's a really good question. Thank you. What are we calling her smart but unsure? Yes, smart but unsure, savvy and unsure?
Speaker 1: That really really really quick question.
Speaker 2: Yes, what do that one me on the same page? Yeah, let's get yesen Yeah, I love this name from ig Yesenya says, should I max out my wroth ira before investing in a brokerage account? I'm not sure that I can do both right now, it's.
Speaker 1: About time hit him.
Speaker 2: The state amaz that was here with this. Yeah, I think that that's a good idea. I mean with there's some benefits to a roth ira that you're not going to get from traditional brokerage account. The main one is, so when you're contributing to a wroth you're using dot you're using money that you've already paid taxes on and you're putting it into a wrath The limit is like sixty five hundreds, depends on your age, it can be a little bit more, but with a roth iray it's a little bit it's a lot more flexible than a brokerage account, so the money that you put in because you've already paid taxes on it. One of the big benefits is that if and I'm not saying you should, but if you need to dip into your wrath IRA in the future, you'd be able to take out your contribution without getting hit with like tax penalties and fees. So that's one benefit that it has over a brokerage account. And you know, the cap on a wroth IRA being like what it is now, sixty five hundred to seven thousand, you know, obviously not knowing how much you have to put aside, but if you're able to, yeah, hit that cap, and then you can at least feel good like, Okay, I've ticked this box and you can take your whatever proceeds you have left over and shift that into a brokerage account. At that point, I think, like many other benefits I've.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, here's the thing I always say, like to me, there's two there's two purposes of investing, investing for retirement and investing for wealth. And I think that you should prioritize always investing for retirement first because one day your eighty yearr sself is gonna be like, oh wow, So because of you, I'm eating you know, I'm finding these these these birds at the park for these for these breadcrumbs, you know what I mean. Like, we don't want to put our older self in a position to have to work so hard because our younger self was like, oh yikes, my bad. So because it's your younger self's job to look after your older self. So you know, I want you to prioritize investing for retirement first. Typically when people put money in a brokerage account, they're investing for wealth, which is what we want you to get to. But that's after you've done the foundational work of investing for retirement. And a roth iray is retirement investing. That's the purpose of it. And to Mandy's point, you put money in after tax and you get to withdraw it later, you know, tax free, because one you've gotten taxed on what you contribute already, but also the growth you get to pull out tax free as well. So there's a huge benefit to a wroth And there's an income max. So I think last time I check it was like one hundred and twenty five thousand dollars a year if you make more than that, although there's some ways around it with like a backdoor wroth and YadA, YadA YadA, you would sit down with your financial advisor for that. But on the surface, there's an income max of I think it's one hundred and twenty five thousand at least that's what it was like last year or the year before. So you know you might over time start making more than that, so you want to take advantage of that. Why you can, So just in general for everyone, take care of your retirement first. After you've taken care of that, then start looking to invest for wealth. Retirement means you get to take care of your older self. Investing for wealth means you get you get to leave a legacy and then increase your lifestyle. Now, but you, as a younger person, younger than your older self, can wait on the luxurious life, whereas your older self cannot wait on basic accommodations and living. So take care of that old self.
Speaker 2: Okay, dang, but I want nice things now.
Speaker 1: I know you can have nice things, but you got to make sure that. Like because I call my older self Wanda, and I'm like, you gotta make sure Wanda is good because Wanda is like, I know deare gone? Well she not, I have sushi again? So she eats sushi and I eat baloney. Got it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna think about myself fighting for breadcrumbs from the pigeons the next time. Rio's like, I want that new tuck, new tuck?
Speaker 1: Do you want to pray for break crumbs at the park?
Speaker 2: They be like, what give me the truck? Lady here? Make you look bad mom from everybody? Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: So we hope you enjoyed the b A q A. If you have questions, we certainly will try our best to answer something. You can hit us up on Insta, in the d MS, or even just in the comments at we are Brandabish and pod is it part of podcasts on podcast Branda Bichon podcasts on Insta, the b A the BA podcast on Twitter and we are Brandabision podcast dot com. You can click like and ask us to ask us anything button and we'll try our best to get to your questions. If you want to be remain remain anonymous, we we will allow it, but we prefer you give us a fun name to call you sparkling. Do you zad exactly, because if you don't give us a name, I'm gonna give you a name.
Speaker 2: It ain't gonna be cute either.
Speaker 1: Oh well, hopefully the baby will give you some peace. He's like, I don't want peace, I want problems.
Speaker 2: I really didn't know if I was going to get through today's show. So thank you Tiffany and everyone else for being very patient. And yeah, my nerves are shot, and it's all right. How many more hours still? Bedtime seven? We'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, bye