Speaker 1: And now go my mic back.
Speaker 2: You're like that time strikes with waters from headquarters behind him.
Speaker 1: And if you're just tuning in a civic cipher, I'm your host. Rams's jeah, he is jah.
Speaker 3: I am q ward And you are now either tuned in or tuned back in Pacific scipe.
Speaker 1: In, dude, you are stick around. We got a lot more show in store for you. We're going to be talking about Sea pac Man. I never thought I'd have to talk about that. Sounds like a lot, but it is the Conservative Political Action Conference. It's a thing that you need to know about, so I think we need to talk about and so stay tuned, because far be it from us to leave you uninformed. We're also going to spend a little bit of time talking about our way black history. Fact. Uh came across a strange story I never learned about growing up. Funny how that works, and it was a bombing police bombing in New York City where they bombed a neighborhood and killed the bunch of people and a bunch of little kids. And of course you didn't know about it. But we have this microphone and an audience, so we're going to tell you all about that again for our way, black history tract first and foremost, So it's time for us to discuss becoming a better ally BA BA. So Today's BABA sponsored by Major Threads for the finest in men's sportswear, Checkmajor threads dot com. All right, for today's Bob, we're going to shout out John Stewart And if you haven't seen his interview circulating on the internet, he did an amazing job, incredible, incredible job addressing some conservative hypocrisies and we feel like that is in alignment with much of what it is we're trying to do on this show. So he didn't directly talk about black issues per se, but pointing out the hypocrisy to.
Speaker 3: Exact, most of that hypocrisy is just aimed at decent people, right, right.
Speaker 1: And then also his whole career he's been very much an ally. So I'll read a bit John Stewart was with Nathan Dom and he's quoted as saying, you're telling me, when it comes to children that have died, you don't give a flying F word to stop that because that shall not be infringed. Stuart said, all right, when Oklahoma State Senator Nathan Dom tried to argue to John Stewart that loose gun laws make citizens safer. The TV host wasn't hearing it. He says, quote, I'm a strong proponent of the Second Amendment. That's what the lawmaker said on Thursday's episode of the Problem with John. Stewart goes on to say, I believe the right to keep in bare arms shall not be in fringe. He added, emphasizing that it's the one amendment that uses very specific affirmative language. Oh so it's the one that uses the phrase well regulated. Stuart, who added that he's not opposed to the Second Amendment, reply, I don't want to ban guns, but you're saying more guns makes us safe. So when we got four hundred million guns in the country, we had an increase in gun desks went up. Steward added, So, when exactly does the curve hit what takes it down? Would a billion guns do it? And then he goes on to talk about trans rights and a whole bunch of other things, just pointing out a lot of conservative hypocrisies. Please check that interview out. It was masterful, a masterclass and how to shut down people who know they're wrong and are some reason, for some reason, committed to a bunch of dead guys that are no longer alive and their idea of what we should be doing in a modern war where guns can mow down malls full of people speaking of hypocrisies and hypocrites and conservative hypocrisies and that sort of thing. I got to say something before we get into this. Conservative people, in principle are not bad people. I've learned recently. Excuse me, I'm going somewhere with this, QX me. I'm going somewhere with this. I'm sorry, bro, I've learned. We have met both of us, you know, you know what I'm going with this. People who are decent people. There are people who are very conservative who have allowed this show to be on the radio station that you're listening to right now. Right So when we point out a lot of the hypocrisies that we see, we are not talking about all conservative people. There are different There are people who have a different belief system. They want small government, They very much believe in I'm going to do for me, you do for you, and where we end up is where we end up. There are people who believe in lots of things, you know, God, guns and country doesn't necessarily make them bad folks. It's certainly not my philosophy, but that doesn't make them awful people. Right, Well, excuse me. What we're talking about now, rather is what we find in the political arena, not your individual belief system in your home.
Speaker 3: Unless your individual belief system and your support shapes the way that you vote, there you go and you continue to vote and support the Conservatives.
Speaker 1: That's why I laughed. And when you ignore the realities for your fellow man and fail to heed the gravity of a vote that you cast and how that might have a negative impact on other people, and have not developed or cultivated your sense of empathy for other people to the degree that you might pause before casting a ballot for some of these folks. Yes, absolutely you. But you know, we talk to a lot of people who, again are conservative folks who are like, listen, man, that guy, the ex president or whoever it is that they're talking to carry Let you know, she's a kook, man. I believe in sensible leadership. My preference is a more conservative approach. Okay, So again, we're not talking about you, those people, if you know them.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess right, we got a lot of those people still cast those and that's that's the tough part. And then I don't care about the part that that's the tough part of it. I know what you mean, because it's tough for me too. I miss a time where identifying as conservative, gop Republican didn't mean mean divisive, extreme, racist, bigoted, And I could go on a long list.
Speaker 1: And subscribe to a detached reality that is not in any way shared meaningfully among all of humanity. You know, people that have opinions about climate change, for instance, or you know the morality of abortion rights or whatever. You know, and an abortion is a tough one because some people have that connected with religion or personal feelings about it.
Speaker 3: But even those people don't carry that on. Right, that baby, that human being that you cared so much about, you should still care once they're born.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I'm with you, care as much once they're born, anyway, to argue as loudly once they're born, be as like Christ once they're born. Otherwise, miss me with the entire stance, miss me with the performative evangelism, miss me with the performative outrage.
Speaker 1: That's where we're going. That's where we're going, because we see that more often in the political arena these days than we've ever seen it before. And so again in today's episodes, we're not talking about the everyman. Rather, we're talking about the elected official right and those that vote for them. I am not letting you off the hook today. I'm sorry. I can't. I'm a father. Go ahead, you hold me accountable. But you know what I'm trying to say. So SEAPAC, the Conservative Political Action Conference, is a conference of conservative people where they get together and have like a conservative party about who they want to put forth, who they want to support in terms of who's going to shape the country in different parts of the country, and you know what policies we agree on, what sort of plans or you know, uh, programs that we want to put forward. This sort of thing. I've heard of SEAPAC, but I never had to pay attention to it until you know now, I'm being honest. And the main takeaway from this most recent one was that Donald Trump was there, Ronda Santis wasn't there, and that when Nikki Haley was person who's also running for president for the potential Republican nomination was there, but she kind of was jeered out of the building, and she was speaking to a house that was not nearly as packed as they would have hoped, even Donald Trump had twenty percent of his seats MP. So again, we're just telling you about this so that you're aware of who these people are and what sort of ideas they have about this country. And bear in mind that they're going to run against potentially Joe Biden, which is an interesting reality. This is an interesting timeline that we're living in, because you know, that's where's somebody need to call Obama back because we're not done. You texted, wish I could anyway. All right, So we'll start. The main guy there, of course, was Donald Trump. So he's quoted is saying this comes from Yahoo. By the way, it's quoted, is saying, in twenty sixteen, I declared I am your voice, Trump said to the ballroom packed he's that term loosely with his most fervent loyalist at the Conservative Political Action Conference, to some of the loudest sustained applause of the night. He goes on to say, today I add I am your warrior, I am your justice. And for those who have been wronged and betrayed. I am your retribution. I will totally obliterate the deep state. Now, when they said it was a packed ballroom, there's another note here that says twenty percent of the seats were empty. And of course Donald Trump was like kind of the highlight of the night right. He's the are the Republican favorite I suppose for president. They did a straw pole, I want to say there, and it showed that he had sixty two percent support for the nomination for Republicans for president in so that could change, but we all know we've lived in that timeline with Donald Trump, and so we know what to expect. There. A delusional old man who is angry at everybody and makes up stuff on the fly, has no real political solutions or anything that affects people who live real lives.
Speaker 3: And yet he has a lot that affects people that positive lives, positive just in a very very harmful way.
Speaker 1: And then there's this guy's in this kind of thin veneer of oh he got some people out of jail or you know whatever proformative stuff that he added. But those of us said, no, we know, all right, so we won't spend too much time talking about him. God knows, we've spent enough. Let's talk about this newcomer, all right. So this comes rather from Time magazine, not from Yahoo. All right. So a former UN ambassador under Trump, NICKI Haley, aged fifty one, got a warm welcome from the Seapac crowd and she began her remarks. She focused her speech mostly on criticizing President Joe Biden and socialist Democrats. She did indirectly jab the former president by pointing out that Republicans have lost the popular vote in seven of the last eight presidential elections, and by calling for a mental competency test for all politicians over seventy five years old, which would apply to Trump seventy six, as well as the threat posed by China and drew no direct contrasts with Trump. Okay, So I want to go back through that. So Nikki Hayley, this potential candidate for president, said that Republicans lost the popular vote in seven of the last eight presidential elections. So there's that. That is a prominent Republican figure acknowledging that Republicans have to play this game in order to hold power. They have to play this You know what is that thing called the electoral college game, which doesn't necessarily mean this is what the people want. It simply means this is how you can beat the system. This is how you can win the system, not the people. There's no way reflects what the majority of the folks want.
Speaker 3: Acknowledging that, and this is how you can beat that system every time, because it's not going to change, even with all all of its faults and all of its holes being clear to the eye of most discerning, responsible adults, it is still going to remain the same. That a place this small has the same voice as a place this big. That I got further away from the mic. Now, you guys can't see nobody I got you even in listening to me describe that. You should be able to paint a picture in your head because you know it doesn't make any sense yet.
Speaker 1: And that's really important too, too to point out, because the fact is that acknowledgment says a mouthful. Okay, Now, we happen to know that most of the people, and most of the people who are registered to vote are more liberal leaning voters. However, the people who vote most frequently and are way more involved politically tend to be more conservative. And this is how unfortunately, this is how the country rather is uh shaped is the right word shaped, you know, by conservatives and liberals, when the truth is we should be a much more liberal leaning country that they've taught us to fear the words that we should be we are. Yeah, in fact we are. Based on the human level, we are, but based on our policies and our laws, based on laws and all their numbers.
Speaker 3: We are based on how we participate in the political process. It's a it's a toss up, right, and it's not you guys's fault, right, people who identify in that group that is losing this fight.
Speaker 1: It's not you guys's fault. Right.
Speaker 3: The system does not provide you with choices, options, and or candidates that you can be excited about. Far too often, however, we also self cannibalize, judge and micro manage ourselves in a way that causes us to kind of scrutinize on a level that's too high when you know the other side isn't doing that, Like at some point you got to play this game by their rules or keep losing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so she has to know that based on that she there's a very good chance that she might be elected to the highest office in Miland and not represent most of the people. And that's got to be a strange position to be. And now, if you're them and you're holding on the power, you know, you might be ready for that, you know. But I again, I think that that says an outfault. I want to move on, all right. She said she the popular vote, and she wants a mental competency test for politicians seventy five years old. And I think that there's something there too. I like the idea of village elders, you know, like you know, there's a lot of wisdom in those years, but there's also a tendency to be a stick in the mud. There's also the very likelihood that you know, the decisions you make now, you're not going to have to deal with them. So if you choose to ignore your impact on the climate on the planet, you're not going to be around to see what that looks like, and us and our children will be And so there is something there about having people be examined to see how competent they are. And I feel like there's there's something to that. Now, whether or not that's discriminatory, who knows, but it would at least keep us a little bit more progressive in terms of our ideas. But I don't think I would just like get behind an idea like that and champion it. I just that's worth listening to, I suppose. And then, of course, like I said, some thinly veiled jabs at Trump and then talked about the threat of China. These are all things that are kind of beyond the scope of what it is we talk about here.
Speaker 3: But not to kind of breeze by, but shout at her for having the courage, even if they're thinly veiled shots at Trump, to take shots at Trump, right, She at least has enough courage to stand for some actual beliefs, even if I don't agree with those beliefs, to call this dude out as not that's it, That's what I was trying. That's brave, because alienating yourself and putting yourself as opposed to him has been political suicide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's get there for those in his party rather all right, so let's wrap this up. Haley the first major candidate to officially challenge Donald Trump for the twenty twenty four Republican presidential nomination was berated by Heckler's Friday as she exited the Conservative Political Action Conference outside of Washington. And I think they were shouting something like we won Trump or something like that as she was leaving, so very disrespectful. It was Trump's crowd. So what are you gonna do? Right now? The elephant in the room Ron DeSantis. And this is where we need to really have a bit of a conversation. Now. You might know about Rond de Santis if you're listening to this show this far, and I have no doubt that you know who he is. He's another Republican favorite for everybody who's turned off by Donald Trump there turned on by this guy. He's not as old. I think he's like in his mid forties. He's extremely conservative and he's getting stuff done.
Speaker 3: Can we replace that word, because that's not what you actually mean. You said he's extremely conservative, which means he's extremely into the way that conservative GOP Republican candidates and political people think, speak and act. That word doesn't actually mean that though. Okay, the word conservative doesn't mean extreme racist bigot.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, go fire me.
Speaker 3: I don't know a better word to you. Yes, I say, when you say he's extremely conservative, as you said it, I'm like, but that's not what he means.
Speaker 1: I don't know the better word to you. Listen, man, you can be I'll be. Remember kem Peel when they did the Obama anger translator, you can be that, all right?
Speaker 3: No, no, I didn't, But I didn't even mean as a translation, just as a you guys can't see us. I am. I listen to our show just like you, except I get to listen to it while we're making it. And I'm an audience for ram this when he speaks. So when he said he's extremely conservative, my mind made me change the way I was sitting, like, because I know what extremely conservative means, and I know that's not what Rams this means. He means he's extremely politically right, extremely GOP Trump era MAGA conservative republican far right political person, not the word conservative. My grandmother was extremely conservative, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: The way she brought us up, the way we attended church, our actual core beliefs of our family, the way she spent money, the way she saved and invested in all those things. She was extremely conservative. Rams this means something completely I don't know. If different is the word, but not what the word conservative means and on its.
Speaker 1: Face, Okay, I appreciate pointing that out. So anyway, this guy, Rond de Santis, so far he's denounced a full on attack on woke ideology for some reason, whereas like socialism and being woke have been co opted and turned into a bad thing. I love socialist programs people, So does Ron de Santis, thank you.
Speaker 3: So do all of the hyper rich, hyper powerful people in this when it benefits them, because they use socialist principles to benefit each other all the time. What they mean is that we don't want we don't want to collectively help poor people. That's what they mean when they try to denounce socialism when it's rich people helping other rich and powerful people stay rich and powerful.
Speaker 1: So they social. But he also talks about like woke ideology, which is I'm man, I'm woke, af I'll stay that way. I guess this guy must be sleep Go ahead, Doug, but he's he's Uh. There's a video I saw he was telling a cheering crowd that in Florida, that Florida is where woke goes to die, right and woke? You know what woke is even progressive, trying to create and cultivate a better world for all of us where it's inclusive and everybody gets a seat at the table. And he's staunchly opposed to that. So, like I said, dude to Priba Sleep, I don't know. And then, of course on this show, when we brought his name up in the past, it was because of his attacks on teaching what he calls critical race theory, what is in fact and in practice accurate and full American history to kids, so that we understand who we are, why we ended up where we are, and what we can do about it. And he, according to that same poll that put trumpets sixty percent, had about twenty percent of the support at Seapack, and so that could change. These are the names to bear in mind, and of course we had to talk about it, So bear that in mind. All right, now it's time for the Way Black Historyffect. Today's Way Black History Fact is sponsored by the Black Information Network Daily podcast. You can find that out at iHeart dot com or binnews dot com. And I will be reading from the New York Times now Again this made its way to me recently. I had no idea and so we're gonna learn this together right. Thirty five years after Move bombing that killed eleven, Philadelphia apologizes all right. Police helicopter dropped an explosive charge onto the roof of a rowhouse during an arm standoff in nineteen eighty five. The resultant fire destroyed sixty one homes in a West Philadelphia neighborhood. The Philadelphia City Council this week formally apologized for the decision in nineteen eighty five to drop an improvised bomb on a row house occupied by the Move separatist group, a desperate action that resulted in a fire that killed eleven and destroyed sixty one homes. I remember five of them were children. I'm not mistaken. The resolution marked the first time that the city had formally apologized for the action. Measure, which also calls for an annual day of remembrance on May thirteenth, the anniversary of the bombing, was sponsored by Jamie Gautier, a city councilwoman who grew up near the West Philadelphia neighborhood where the bombing happened. Mss Gautier recalled watching the aftermath of the bombing on television as a child and said that the neighborhood was only now starting to fully recover from the devastation. Quote, there have been divisions in our city between police and community for decades, and I think if we had done the true work of acknowledging what happened with MOVE and other acts of police violence, and we had really worked on not only the acknowledgment, but the building better relationships and working toward reconciliation, we wouldn't find ourselves in the place we are now, she said. In an interview. She goes on to say it was always striking to me that we did this, that our city did this, and no one was ever held accountable. She added, I thought that was unconscionable. Mosgatier began circulating a draft resolution before the May thirteenth anniversary of the Move attack, but the efforts stalled and then was delayed because of coronavirus restrictions. The May twenty fifth killing of George Floyd gave renewed energy to the resolution, she said, and the need to recognize the effects of police killings of black people have had on the community grew even more with the October twenty sixth killing of Walter Wallace Junior, who was fatally shot by the police during the encounter in the same neighborhood where the move home once stood. In a statement, Mayor Jim Kinney of Philadelphia acknowledged the resolution's importance quote in an effort to learn from our past and do better by our residents in the future. This annual day of observation is a positive step in the healing process of our city. Our city desperately needs, he said. Goes on to say, this year we saw the pain and trauma caused by the move bombing is still alive in West Philadelphia, so I commend Counsel for taking the step toward healing. The mayor acknowledged missteps in the city's attempts to rebuild the neighborhood in the years immediately following the attack was set in a recent public private partnership which had succeeded in reconstructing homes in the affected area. All Right move, a group described by members as a quote back to nature movement unquote that would return the United States to Native Americans and do away with all government, was deemed an authoritarian, violence threatening cult by city officials, who said the group used threats, abuse, and intimidation to terrify their neighbors and to bring about confrontation. At the time of the attack, the police were acting to clear up the group out of a row house at sixty two to twenty one Osage Avenue in response to neighbors complaints of filthy conditions in the house and night long amplified lectures from move members. At six am on May thirteenth, eighteen sixty five, the Philadelphia Police came under gunfire from police from sorry from people inside the home, which led to a day long standoff. Throughout the day, the Philadelphia Philadelphia Special Investigation Commission later found the police fired more than ten thousand rounds of ammunition in less than ninety minutes at the rowhouse.
Speaker 3: Just can you read that number?
Speaker 1: Okay, let me read that again. Sure? Throughout the day. Philadelphia's Special Investigation Commission later found police fired more than ten thousand rounds of ammunition in less than ninety minutes at the rowhouse, which was occupied by men, women, and children, calling the police officers' actions clearly excessive and unreasonable. The commission's report acknowledged that police were unable to fully suppress the gunfire coming from the home, and that efforts to negotiate with the people inside had been haphazard and fruitless. Police bomb squad members fashioned an improvised bomb out of plastic explosives, and an officer dropped the charge from a helicopter onto the roof of the Move rowhouse in an effort to destroy a fortified bunker the group had built there. At five twenty seven pm, the bomb detonated with which started a fire that police ordered firefighters to let burn. The blaze spread, ultimately destroying sixty other nearby homes. The plan to bomb of this quote, The plan to bomb the move houses was reckless, ill conceived, and hastily approved. The Commission's reports, set in nineteen eighty six. I wonder why that goes on quote. Dropping a bomb on an occupied rowhouse was unconscionable and should have been rejected out of hand. The hasty, reckless and irresponsible decision by the police Commissioner and the fire commissioner to use the fire as a tactical weapon was unconscionable. The report added. The deaths of eleven people, six adults and five children, and the police action were classified as unjustified homicides. Police Commissioner George J. Samber, who directed the aerial bombing, resigned in November nineteen eighty five. At grand jury in nineteen eighty eight cleared Mayor W. Wilson Good and other top city officials of criminal liability for death and destruction resulting from the operation Shocking. In an op ed published by the Guardian on May tenth, mister Good, the former mayor, called the city too, called on the city to issue a formal apology for the attack. Quote, I apologize and encourage others to do the same, mister Good wrote, we will be a better city for it, all right. So, yeah, I didn't know about that. I didn't color that in any way. That's New York Times. So if that was colored in a way to paint a picture about anyone, it's the time. So you know what they're on either way, for people that are speaking on loud speakers, and they're living as you would as one would live with nature in the city of Philadelphia, which other people may not think is up to their standards or you know whatever they said, filthy conditions, But to me that means that they probably were growing their own food in the yard or something I don't know. And then of course their amplifiers were too loud when they were giving their speeches. That doesn't mean let's bomb them.
Speaker 3: I mean and you have to imagine the type of people that were okay with specifically ordering to allow these fires to burn with intent of murdering. People would consider anything filthy that doesn't look move or behave move, behave love or pray the way they do.
Speaker 1: So that Black Lives Matter statement was a long time coming, because that's hard to imagine the police blowing up a bunch of kids in the building that didn't look like that.
Speaker 3: That's why they're then getting getting away from Scott free. Well, that's why there's no such examples of it ever happening period. You're not wrong, But that's about it for us here on Civic Cipher. Another one for the books. Once again.
Speaker 1: I'm your host, Ramsey's jaw he is and I am q Ward. We'd like to thank you for tuning in once again. Help us out man hit the website Civiccipher dot com, submit any questions, any topics you want us to cover. Make a donation to help the show grow. We are still growing. We picked up another station. Shout out to w NSB Hot ninety one in Norfolk, Virginia. Wow picking up the show and shout out to Wowie FM in Norfolk as well. So we love y'all anyway, hit the social media at Civic Cipher. You can follow me at Ramsey's Jockey. I am q war. I don't know this any previous episodes and uh just rock up with a sorry loveing y'all do that and until next week, y'all please.
Speaker 2: Y'all like Yo, we handle this. These brothers are fabulous. It's our ladies showing you where bomb traveled this world. Speak to from sunlight to move, busting on stage like gonna fights and move rove my mic back. You're like that jonal list with journalist too. We can strike back all corb borders with waters from head, borders behind in the beline sides up and the borders the press passes. We bring it to you as it happens the streets love popping from music and wrapping the street compand the slash we expando. You're to fight the slander with the proper propaganda. What's happening?
Speaker 1: You've got a question to ask
Speaker 2: If the news is just a TV show you're passing And this from a white wartime journalist headlines, Wait God, previews and recess like this, like what like this, like