Speaker 1: This is the OTP presented by Farm Bureau Health Plans. Farm Bureau Health Plans has been serving members and protecting their health for seventy six years. Learn about our Tennessee roots at FBHP dot com with Amy wells On, Mike Keith, and the retired one Brett Kern.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the bet MGM studio.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on what was a good day overall. Are you pleased with how the speech went?
Speaker 4: I am. I wasn't really sure how I was going to go. I practiced it multiple times. It took my time writing it out to try to get fifteen years of memories, thoughts, emotions, you know on a you know, a condensed speech was pretty tough. But yeah, I thought it went pretty well. I know there's probably plenty of people that I wasn't able to thank, and so.
Speaker 3: That kind of bothers me a little bit.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm just just bussed for the opportunity. I think, you know, you would have asked me fifteen sixteen years ago about this day and I would have probably laughed at you.
Speaker 3: And you know, I think at that time I was hoping to.
Speaker 4: Maybe play over an NFL Europe right until they disband the league, so I kind of changed my plans a little bit.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm just it's been a really good day, really good day.
Speaker 5: The fact that you were even thinking that playing in NFL Europe was a possibility shows how long your career has been. Yeah, you've really been around for a long time. When you started writing that speech, it had to have been like ten to fifteen pages, right, It's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was.
Speaker 4: I kind of kind of did like a side list of I just wanted to make sure that I was right now people that came to mind, you know, kind of over the weeks and really months where I've kind of felt like, you know, I was just leading up to this day and so had a list and it just kind of took a little bit of time to develop. And and I never i mean, I never got like above A being English. So my writing skills and all that stuff's not the best. But thankfully my wife is very good with like proof reading, and she can just help articulate a lot better than I can. So there's teamwork. But you know, over time just kind of weeded it down to where I felt like it was, you know, a good speech, being.
Speaker 5: Able to just have the opportunity to process all those memories. I know, when you're going through the flows of football season and kind of the cadence that seems like al was like a wheel that never really ends, you know, because the off season just leads into training camp, which leads into the season.
Speaker 1: Being able to take.
Speaker 5: That time to really reflect, is that the first time that you've done that in your career, to really stop and think about every thing that you have experienced in its totality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd probably say the last month or two has probably been that for me. You know, the moment you you kind of sit back and you kind of enjoy what you think you've done, like you know, making a Pro Bowl, right, and you kind of sit back on it and enjoy it. You can't you can't really do that because you know that there's always gonna be somebody else that they want to bring in. You might think it's competition, it might not be, but it's still somebody else, right, And so the moment you kind of sit back, relax and enjoy what you've quote unquote done, right, is the moment that that's when the league, you know, snake bite two. Right. So for the longest time, I just kind of kept my head down, grinding, grinding, regardless of what happened. If it was a great season, you know, so associated it didn't really.
Speaker 3: Matter to me.
Speaker 4: I just needed to keep moving on and pressing forward. And so when I knew, you know, that I was done and I wanted to do this, you know, just kind of thinking about what what memories, what stories I really want to put in there, because there's so many, uh, and there's some that would take me, you know, three four pages just to share a story, right, and so what are the ones that are quick, you know, one sentence, two sentences that you could share that are funny and things that I remember, and so, uh yeah, there's there's plenty I could easily put in there, but there's there's just so many you accumulate over the over the years. But I think the last month or two has been really good time of just reflection and actually being able to kind of just sit back and breathe, uh and not have the stress of even off season stuff, you know, OTA's and all that kind of stuff, and so just sit back, relax and just kind of enjoy everything. It's been. It's been really fun.
Speaker 2: How many Rob baronas stories could you.
Speaker 4: Have told plenty plenty? Yeah, there was stuff.
Speaker 1: Was just saying, do you remember when you came in here in two thousand and nine, Yeah, what your reaction was to meeting him for the first time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I know he was not far off of that record that game where it was like eight for eight ors.
Speaker 3: There's something crazy like.
Speaker 4: That, right, And uh so I know, like, man, this, I know this guy he's a stud.
Speaker 3: But he I mean, he got right to it.
Speaker 4: I mean it was I remember that first practice where Kenny and Model threw his snap back and I had the ball down and he was already telling me before he even kicked it, there's too much lean laces aren't right, and so he was he was telling me what I was doing wrong before he even kicked it right, And I remember thinking just I mean, Matt Prater when I was in Denver was particular and how he wanted it and all that stuff, and most are right, but Rob took it.
Speaker 3: To a new level.
Speaker 4: And because of that, I mean, I owe a lot to him, because with that it really helped me understand holding in so much more detail. And so I kind of, you know, laugh about it now and there's plenty of There's plenty of rock stories that I have, and so it's it's just crazy to think, yeah, you're going on nine years this fall, and and now to see his son London over at b A Academy, and I think he's one of the top kickers in the whole country.
Speaker 3: And so to see him.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, following in his in his dad's footsteps, and I always you know, I tell him like, you're not your dad, You're your London, right, you have the abilities of your dad, if not better potentially, but you know, be, be yourself, make a name for yourself. So uh yeah, there's there's plenty of rob stories for sure.
Speaker 5: You've held for so many different kickers over the years. Who was the most particular was really.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah, And I think that's what got me so detailed in on on holding right, And so it's it's kind of crazy when you know, when Ryan came, you know, I kind of told him about stuff and he, I mean, he was pretty particular, So there wasn't really you know, I felt like we just picked up pretty quickly and we're able to get right off to a really good start, and obviously the career that he had here. But then a lot of times when you got the younger guys coming in, you know, and I'm explaining the holding and all that stuff, in their eyes are just like, I'm like, you're you're the kicker, right, But I'm here to help you as best that I can.
Speaker 3: And this is what I've.
Speaker 4: Learned, and hopefully this will help you just to be that much better with the little details and doing your job.
Speaker 3: So Rob was definitely he was really particular.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, you're a very detail oriented guy anyway, just almost extremely detail oriented. I know that you would chart all of your punts you had, I mean, you had your speech down to the second today timed out. You just are very detailed and specific and into that sort of thing. How are you going to channel that now when you don't have punts to chart and stats to maintain?
Speaker 4: And yeah, I'm a spreadsheet Yeah, I'm kind of well, I mean I can make spreadsheets on anything if I decide to. So, you know, I mean, my daughter's in cross country, right, and so I made a spreadsheet on her meats and her time and to see if she was making improvements over the years. And then when she went the following year, just kind of comparing her times to I mean, you can make one about anything you want. But I will be relieved, you know, not doing the football stuff as much, because sometimes you know you'd have great days and you're absolutely loving charting those right and watching the film and think it's a great day. And then there's other days where I wasn't my best right and you have to watch the film and you.
Speaker 3: Have to see what you can do to get better.
Speaker 4: And typing in because I'm a perfectionist is probably my worst it's my best quality, but probably my worst quality being my worst own worst critic. And so you know, to have to type in those numbers, right, I mean it it was tough, you know, just having to do that. And but yeah, there's always there's always time for a spreadsheet and I'll find stuff. I mean, you know, I'll find something to spreadsheet on.
Speaker 1: Was there a moment in your career where you became Brett Kerr? And what I mean by that is you had to battle to get in the league? Yeah, to battle, you had to keep fighting, and then you got here and you're not having to fight to keep your job anymore. Suddenly you're one of the best guys in the league, So I'll repeat the question. Was there a moment football wise, personally otherwise where you became Brett kerr.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: I mean I could go back and look at games where I felt like I felt like all the work that I had put in to be really consistent directionally it just paid off, and it was like, Okay, I don't know if there's necessarily a moment or just like clicked, but I know he talked about, you know, getting cut coming here in my first game against Jacksonville, and I remember putting i think two out of the four or something like that, like out of bounds, and they were good punts, and I remember thinking, Okay, yep, I can I can do this here, right, And so just kind of building off that, and there were there were moments, you know, I was just kind of battling to be as consistent as I could possibly be. And then I think, you know, in twenty fourteen when Nate Catcer took over and we did that box drill, and it was just every day I'm setting up these cones, setting them up, and I'm trying to put it in this box, in this box, and it just became muscle memory and I remember that year having a pretty good year directional punting, and same thing with fifteen. I had a lot of cracks at it. Those were those are some rough years. Yes, I think there's eighty eight punts back to back years. But then from that point on, I just felt like, you know, this is what I am If I want to stay in this league and if I want to be the best, like I have to be really good at this particular type of punt and just kept grinding, just kept working at it, working at it, and finally to kind of have it payoff in seventeen with the Pro Bowl season.
Speaker 3: Then it was just okay, yep, got it.
Speaker 4: Just keep rolling, you know, and see how many we can stack and see what this becomes.
Speaker 1: It would be crazy to ask the majority of punters or players about how many times from the first time they ever punted a football until the last time you punted a football. You think, in terms of numbers, there were punts in between. But you're a charter, you're you're a guy who makes grafts. What would you guess how many times that you have actually punted a football in your life?
Speaker 3: Easily fifty thousand?
Speaker 5: Wow, WHOA, that's a much higher number than I was.
Speaker 3: If you're talking from high school all the way through high school.
Speaker 4: High school, I way over did it.
Speaker 3: College.
Speaker 4: I did the same thing because you're young, right right, you don't get sore, you know, Yeah, I mean I did the rough math, you know, And I talked about that in the speech, like it's probably about thirty five thousand here and then you're talking, you know, probably another fifteen to twenty.
Speaker 1: But you had developed your routine to the point where you knew for certain months of the year in terms of.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't punt, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Was it hard to let go when you've been this fanatical I'm gonna kick it. I'm gonna kick it to say no, I've got to back off.
Speaker 4: As far as during the off season, yes or no, because the season, training camp, the season.
Speaker 3: You know, that just it takes a lot out of you.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 4: And at some point your leg you know, it's like a pitcher, right, you know, just doing the same motion over and over and over and over again, and at some point your body is just like, give me a break for a second, you know, let me breathe, and then you just pick it right back up and do it again.
Speaker 3: And you do it so many.
Speaker 4: Times that there's you know, there's the muscle memory, and so over time you feel like, you know what we're done in whenever it is in the season, make a playoff run. And then if I don't even There's been times where I've shown up here, you know, in April and I'd yet to even touch football, and then you kind of you work into it, right, and I was okay doing that.
Speaker 5: So that routine, that cadence, is that something that you're going to have to maybe switch off a little bit or find something else too.
Speaker 4: Maybe I feel like I could find other things to kind of do it, But in that sense, it's, uh, you know, you get to a point where your body's just kind of like, I'm good, you know, I'm content not kicking the football again, and so but there, yeah, there's other things I'll find, you know, kind of a rhythm to do and consistency to do, because I mean that's just you know, I was never like a big technique guy or anything like that. It was just if this felt good and it looked good, you know, how can I duplicate that over and over again?
Speaker 1: And it's funny you listen to some guys like Tom Brady, who says he's retired, came out with a statement today says.
Speaker 5: He's still retired.
Speaker 1: He's still retired, but there's this little opening and everything. He says, I don't know that there's gonna be a Brett Kern controversy.
Speaker 2: It doesn't feel like it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: No, I think just because you know my time in Philly, you know, I appreciate it. I appreciate that they called gaming opportunity to finish out the season there and experience, you know, that playoff run and you know, to win the NFC Championship game and you know, to go to the Super Bowl, and but to be apart from my family for those three months, right, and they came, I mean they came, they came to games, all that stuff, but just the day in, the day out, the things that you're used to and accustomed to with my family, you know, to be apart from that, I just I just don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: Well, and you had worked so hard to get ready for twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: Diet did everything. Yeah, I did every Yeah, I mean I you know, seeing people outside of the building a little bit more just to get my body ready, and I felt great. I felt like, uh, it was a good offseason, had a good training camp, good preseason, and you know, the business is the business, right, I mean, you know you've seen a lot of it. You know how it works. Uh, and that's just the way it is. And so I felt like I put forth so much of that effort that I wasn't just gonna just be done right. Let me at least give this season to kind of see what happens.
Speaker 3: And so I kind of had.
Speaker 4: One foot in the door, one foot out the door. But now both feet are out the door. So no controversy, no controversy. So uh, yeah, it's it's a great place to be in.
Speaker 5: Must feel really nice to have that peace of mind and that confidence in the decision that you've made.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, I feel very at peace. I've had plenty of conversations with my wife and even with the kids a little bit, and yeah, very at peace.
Speaker 2: Have you thought about trying broadcast? Are you? Are you thinking about nobody?
Speaker 4: Nobody can take the great Mike Keith job?
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: There are other job, other job.
Speaker 4: That's true, So I haven't. I'm just kind of taken the time to just decompress.
Speaker 1: So you haven't given much thought to it. No, No, you want to read a commercial to see how you can do.
Speaker 4: I mean, as long as I can read it.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go. Just read that one right here? All right, yep, see how you just no?
Speaker 3: Hold on this.
Speaker 4: This feels like a trick.
Speaker 1: Trick.
Speaker 2: It's not a trick.
Speaker 4: This is the Foolish Foolish Club NAPA Valley Father's Day twenty twenty three podcast script.
Speaker 2: That's for real. Yeah, it's not a joke.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: I would read it, but you're gonna read it, and the people who run the Foolish Club will be more happy that Brett Kern reads it, and Miss Amy will be more happy that you read it. So let's sell Father's Day right now. Let's see how you do it?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, all right, all right, here we go.
Speaker 4: Are you ready to score big this Father's Day? Yes, celebrate your dad with the perfect gift from the Foolish Club, the official wine club of the Tennessee Titans. Yes, give an exclusive Father's Day gift package including customizable three D wooden card, premium NAPA Valley winds, and a Titans Fire branded keepsake wood and create for a limited time, get ten percent off your Father's Day gift with the promo code dad ten at foolish club dot com. Dad ten The Foolish Club the perfect Father's Day gift for the ultimate Titans fan.
Speaker 5: It is ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: I think you can do this.
Speaker 4: Not bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you did it.
Speaker 4: And I can do these around golf.
Speaker 2: You can do these around golf. You're gonna haven me another one, aren't you do this one?
Speaker 5: This is.
Speaker 2: They love it and see it's in bigger font.
Speaker 4: I like this better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, breaking news, all right, breaking news.
Speaker 4: Yep, we have some breaking news that you Titans fans are going to want to hear. Yes, it's official. Seat Geek is now the official Titans partner of the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 3: Oh, ticketing partner. See that's where I get tripped up.
Speaker 4: Do you want to start over? No, that's right, The deal's finalized. In Seat Geek is the newest member of the Titans family. If you hadn't heard the name yet, get used to it, because you'll be hearing a lot more this season, whether you're buying or selling tickets to Titans games or to any other live event in Nashville. Seat Geek is the place to do it. Seat Geek the new official ticketing partner of the Tennessee Titans. So Titans fans can fan great. Geek is tough, that's a tone.
Speaker 1: Geek is tricky, that's well done. I'm surprised somebody hasn't reached out to you yet. Somebody will.
Speaker 3: Well, I know I'm retired.
Speaker 1: So one more cool thing I want to talk about today that I don't want to leave out. You go out on the football field after you do your press conference and they take.
Speaker 2: You over to the area what do we call it, the media patio, media port.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's very nice, and all of a sudden you see a video go up and it was a really well done video by a lot of people who took a lot of time to make it happen. Kind of tell the ot people what that video was of and what it meant to you.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, I met a lot to me obviously, I know that the time and the effort that they put into it to make it, all the splicing, all that stuff. It took a lot of time, a lot of effort to reach out to a lot of forward teammates, coaches, some of our really really good family friends. Yeah, I meant a lot because the time and effort put into it by everybody that did it right extremely special. So to kind of see all of that and the things they had to say, uh, the encouragement, the compliments. Yeah, and then to finish it off with you know, my my kids and my wife saying something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was really special.
Speaker 2: Who was the most surprising person in the video to you?
Speaker 4: I mean Dustin call Quit's Little Shenanigans those that's Dustin, right, I mean that's uh, you know, there's certain guys that you play against and you know that like the pregame and postgame conversation are going to be pretty entertaining. So guys like Dustin, Pat McAfee, those kind of guys, right, you were in for a good conversation right before and after a game, even during the game, honestly halftime. Uh so Dustin's was pretty good. Yeah, I mean to see Coach Lowry on there, and you know, Rob's Brothers was really special too.
Speaker 3: So there was.
Speaker 4: A lot of really really great teammates, a lot of really really good friends.
Speaker 3: That participated in that. And I'm glad that it was sent to me and that I'll always have it.
Speaker 1: There is a historical nature to your retirement based on your statistics. We could talk about that alone, to what you meant to so many people in this community because of the way you dove in and you're staying, but also because you're the last guy that can go from Jeff Fisher to Mike Rabel And that's an interesting I don't know what the word is. It's just an interesting perspective that you have. You played for Bud Adams, Yeah, you played when Tommy Smith was running the team. You played when Miss Amy became the owner. You know, you had Alan Lowry all the way forward to Craig Auckerman.
Speaker 2: It's almost is that almost mind blowing.
Speaker 4: In a way. I would say that if you were to ask, like your best, greatest, best accomplishment, whatever you want to call it, honestly playing for that many coaches and the GMS, GM uh, that's probably the biggest one, because every time there's a coaching change or a GM change, you're out to get your job again.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It's not like I know some guys. You know, I was talking to Thomas Morstead, right, who played for the Saints forever. He only had Sean Payton, right, and so being able to have that relationship where you know, you get a new coach, you go from coach Fisher to coach Munchek.
Speaker 3: Well I kind of know munch right because.
Speaker 4: He was on the staff, right, But then he says okay, But then you bring in a totally new guy, coach wizen Hunt, and then with that comes a new GM. It's just there's always a lot of change, a lot of transition, a lot of roster turnover, and to kind of be able to grind through all that with the coaches and the gms, that's something something I'm probably the most proud of.
Speaker 5: Being able to stay in one city to experience all of that. Yeah, one place with your family here. I mean, we've all watched your kids grow up around this field. You've been able to share so many awesome opportunities with them and so many memories. Being able to have them here today to experience kind of the closing of this chapter, that's got to be awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, like like I said, you know, Bryce was six weeks old when I got here, and you know now he's being asked to work training camp this year. Right now, he's running camera. Yeah, with the headset and the camera crew out right, So you know, both my girls born here. Yeah, it's pretty special. And I see why a lot of guys that play here. I mean there's guys that haven't even played with the Titans that are.
Speaker 3: Moving here, right or staying here.
Speaker 4: It's such a great community, a great place to live, great place to raise a family. This is home, this is you know, this is where we've been for the last fourteen years, right, So this is where I want to be. This is the organization that is nearest and dearest to me. And there's a ton of people in this building that I love in respect, and so it's just feels appropriate to do this here and the timing of it, and I'm just very thankful.
Speaker 1: You did not dwell on the punt against New England in the playoff game which ended it. You never did at the time, but it certainly it is appropriate to talk about it now because in many ways it feels like the moment that best defines your career. From the standpoint that it's twenty five seconds to go in the game, number one job there is You've got to get the punt off. That's the number one job. Not only do you do that, but you put it in a place that nobody can catch it, and it bounds down is down at the one yard line. So it's a fifty eight yard punt, fifty eight gross, fifty eight net inside not only the twenty, but in the five. It takes ten seconds off the clock and it is the complete dagger through the heart at that moment. Even if Logan Ryan doesn't intercept that pass, Tom Brady ate scoring right there.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So for your career, if that's the moment that they constantly roll over out of a thousand punts and the holds and the fake kicks and everything, if that's the money, the moment that they roll are you good with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean I'm good without it. I mean I'm I'm blessed just to be able to say I played this long, right, Sure, And that.
Speaker 3: Was a moment.
Speaker 4: And the funny the funny part was is you know, I think PFF gave it like the worst punt of the week in the playoffs, right because they didn't have hangtime.
Speaker 3: It was right down the middle of the field, right.
Speaker 4: Everything you know that they judged their punts on it was not what they thought was good, Right, But in the situation. You know it's a nine man rush, well you only got eight to protect. So it's me versus Slater, who's you know, one of the best special teams player.
Speaker 2: To ever, ever, ever, ever.
Speaker 3: To do it. And so it was it was a one on one.
Speaker 4: Can I can I get the ball off fast enough?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: And it all I mean it starts with you know, bosnap perfect, bam, bam, we're out right and so and so I've worked on those situations before, like how can you get a punt because you want it on the ground to waste time, right, because the moment it stops the official, you don't know when the officials gonna blow it dead. So if you can get it on the ground quicker and just kind of rolling forward to keep that ball momentum. And it's different grass compared to turf, right, and so you kind of fool around with it. But you also know like, hey, this is a possibility that this could happen, right, and you understand what New England does situationally, so you knew that, hey, this is the game, this might be it, and so you just got it over the line, got it out quick. It was rolling. I said, that's an ugly punt, but that's exactly what I wanted. And Dane obviously did a great job krookshank of just being right there and there was.
Speaker 3: Enough time for here.
Speaker 4: It rolled long enough, which is what you want for him to be able to get down there and get.
Speaker 1: A ten second football play with twenty five seconds left on the.
Speaker 4: Clock, right, Because if you in that situation too, if you just punted out of bounds right, well, for me, I hit those piss missiles right, so you're looking at snapped the hold with the kick and by the time I hit a maybe a four second hand time, man, it hits out of bounds with a second and a half, you're looking at five and a half seconds, right, compared to that's another play, right, and that's another play.
Speaker 3: It might be two plays what you do?
Speaker 4: So uh yeah, that was And I thought like.
Speaker 3: That ended it.
Speaker 4: Tom's done like and then obviously he went to Tampa Bay and one.
Speaker 3: Well, but it ended.
Speaker 1: I mean, I saw you hit more beautiful punts than that. Absolutely, he had a seventy nine yard punt. But when I talk about being the best situational punter in the game, and I talked about Craig Hentrick was that before you and then we get to see you. It's not necessarily kicking the ball the furthest or even having the greatest net. Sometimes a twenty five yard punt is incredibly effective in a certain situation, right, Just like when you're nine to three quarters yards deep in the back of the end zone taking a snap. Sometimes just getting it out of there and getting a fair catch is the best possible result.
Speaker 2: That's that's what the job is. It's not just kicking it as far as you can.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, it's I mean, I think back to the cold game, right, the zero degree game.
Speaker 3: The balls are going nowhere.
Speaker 4: It's a rock, right, And who's back there for Kansas City, Tyreek Hill? Right when Tyreek Hill was back trying to house every single punt? Well, what did what did Coach Hoffman ask me to do? He hit and over end punt. All I want is to go thirty five yards and let's keep them. Let's keep that net right around thirty five and we'll be just fine. Four punts. I think I averaged thirty six that at thirty five, got a game ball out of it, and did what you were supposed to do, right, A game help win a game, right, And so did the average take a hit?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Did the net take a hit? Absolutely?
Speaker 4: But we won the game. And so I did what I was asked to do. And even you know, I remember playing Washington. I think it was a Saturday game, Christmas Eve or something like that. You know, there's fifteen seconds left, right, what do we call foul ball?
Speaker 3: What does that mean? Got to get out of bounds? Right, got to hit an out of bounds.
Speaker 4: And that's what's what I was asked to do, and I did it. And that's just kind of what I felt like, if you asked me to do something, I want to be able to deliver it. For you.
Speaker 5: Of all the thousands of punts that you have punted throughout your career, how many of them do you actually remember?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: How many of them give you questions stories attached to like that?
Speaker 4: I could probably go through and easily give you eighty percent of them?
Speaker 2: Wow? Seriously?
Speaker 3: Yeah, seventy eight whoa yeah? And there's game.
Speaker 4: There's definitely game, especially ones where I felt like I had, you know, really really good games. You know, twenty twelve at Houston, Right, we were backed up probably six out of the eight punts, right, and I remember putting five of them almost out of bounds, out of bounds almost. I mean, there's just there's stuff that you can remember because a lot of times I'm going through film, you know, anytime we'd play at a certain place, I'd want to go through and look at the film and just say, all right, you look at the weather report.
Speaker 3: What's it going to be? This is what I did here in such and such year.
Speaker 4: Whatever. But yeah, I remember a good amount of them.
Speaker 2: Wow, how are you not going to coach kicking?
Speaker 6: I might I was gonna say, because it sounds like you're in love for it from the coaches that you've gotten, Yeah, and from the process of doing the job. I mean, let's face it, you meet a lot of punters and they're just like, yeah, I just go out and kick it and do what I'm asked to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, and that's great. And everybody has different approaches, but your approach is so systematic it feels like it's a part of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, yeah, you've been been doing it for a long time and just learned. I've had to learn a lot on my own and how to analyze film kind of on my own, and what works for me, right, I don't. I'm not a big you know, if a coach tells me, hey, this is how you got to do it, right, it's it's more like, Okay, I need to feel it, right, I feel the rhythm, I feel I see what a good punt looks like? Right now? How can I duplicate that? And it's just me just repping it out and figuring it out on my own, right. So, I mean I get text messages. I just got a text from Brian. He's puntering Nebraska right, just reached out and said, hey, can you look at some of my tape? Sure, man, send it, shoot me a text, let me look at it and see how I can help. Right.
Speaker 3: So I love doing that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: And you know, any way I can help out, especially locally with high school kids and and whatnot. So we'll see, you know, I know, the camp life, all that kind of that's that's kind of a grind, right, But uh, I don't know. I've talked to coach auc just kind of about, you know, ideas as far as just really helping the kids that are coming out of college to prepare them for because college to rookie year is it's tough, right, and and so just trying to help those kids that are coming up, coming out just how to evaluate talent too, because there's there's kids all over the place that are good at punting footballs. And if you can punt, you can punt, if you can kick it through the yellow things, right, no matter if you go to Alabama or you go to you know, a tech school in Upper Michigan. Right like, you can kick, you can kick, if you can punt, you can punt. So being able to find those kids, to be able to give them a chance to fulfill their dream is something pretty cool too.
Speaker 1: You got one more good question because we need to let him go. Okay, do you have one more good question? And then I'm going to give you one more good you want to read it?
Speaker 3: You got it?
Speaker 4: Okay, you're Mike Keith.
Speaker 1: Hey there, Tetan's fans don't really sound like it right now. Hey, they're Titans fans. It's hard to decide what's the best part of the dunking run. Is it the coffee or the one dollar classic donut or the two dollars classic bagel mini's that are stuffed or the three dollars sausage egg and cheese that you can add to that coffee, or the fact that you.
Speaker 2: Leave to go get the coffee, get to leave the office.
Speaker 1: The answer is, of course yes, time for a Dunkin run great deals on food for one, two or three dollars with a medium or larger coffee.
Speaker 2: America runs on Duncan. All right, I've got one more? Do you have one more? Okay? You want to ask first, or you want me.
Speaker 5: Oh you'd ask?
Speaker 1: Okay, you said something in the press conference today. I want to pull that thread. You said thank you to Amy Adams Strunk for the amount of money that she has spent on in I think use the word infrastructure of the of the entire organization we're sitting in here in the bet MGM studio. But from your standpoint from when you came to today, what do you think is the most important area or areas where she has invested dollars to give this organization the ability to move forward and win championships?
Speaker 4: Obviously, I think it starts. You know, your training room and your weight room.
Speaker 3: Those those places are pretty important. Right.
Speaker 4: Locker room create an environment, a locker room where guys want to hang out and be together. Your meal room, right where guys are sharing meals. Those are some there's some really important spots. But then I just look at just everybody in general, right, you know, the players are the guys on Sundays that everybody's watching, but there's so many guys.
Speaker 3: Behind the scenes that are doing so much.
Speaker 4: And so even just to go back today and see the new equipment room right with Joey and the guys, and it's just little things that you wouldn't think would really mean much, but if it allows everybody to do their job in a way that helps this team win games, you know, and she's done that. I feel like she's invested in every area, you know, through this whole organization. And so it's you know, guys talk, right, you know, guys talk about facilities, They talk about all kinds of things, right, and so you know, to be able to say, like, hey man, Titans, they got a good spot, right. You know, when I was in Denver, he talked about what Denver had, When I was in Philly talked about what Philly had and so.
Speaker 2: And it was comparable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think every organization is it just kind of depends on what the owner right wants to invest in, right, what they feel is important to them, what they're willing to spend their dollars on. And so every you know, every organization's different, right, and so even being to other places, and you know when I went to Indie for a workout, Arizona for a workout, and even when we were out in the Super Bowl out in Arizona, being to go to the Cardinals facility, you know, guys just you see what what the owner is, what's important to them. And obviously you can tell if you just walk around this building, you know it's important to miss Amy. Uh, It's it's pretty evident.
Speaker 5: When guys retired, you always hear them say, I'm going to miss the camaraderie. I'm going to miss the guys in the locker room specialists are even more tight. It is a very different unit. You'll spend a ton of time together. Yeah, how is that going to change? Is that the thing you're going to miss the most?
Speaker 4: Oh? For sure? Yeah, just the camaraderie around the building. Teammates, you know, equipment guys, op staff I hang out with. I mean, there's just you know a lot of guys that I just enjoy being around. And so yeah, I mean I'll always. You know, it was great for both to come in you know from k C and and to come hang out, and you know, he's staying with us, and uh, you know, obviously you know, being able to see Ryan. You know, we don't live that far from each other anyways as it is now, but you know, being able to play golf and obviously you know, still talking with Morgan a bunch, just seeing how he's doing here, and and uh, yeah, just keeping in touch with the guys. And when I mean I was over at kb's house, you know, Saturday for a little grill out. He was absolutely crushing it on the green egg with some chicken wings. So uh, and all our kids are in the pool swimming and and so it's just a matter of uh, just staying in touch with the guys and you know, being able to do things, whether it's golfing or barbecue and and just hang out and you know, just talking. Yeah, Derek Morgan was over there, sat We were all just hanging out talking, you know, shooting the breeze, shooting the memories and and so that's but to have that every day is something you'll miss. But you know, I'm just glad that I have those friendships.
Speaker 1: Derek Henry came to his announcement today, he did about that. Yeah, a lot of your teammates, former teammates, people who just worked in the building, and it says more about you as a person than a player, and that's more important anyway. Yeah, I hope you're proud of that because you earned You earned that with how you treat people. And you've done that very well since the first day you got here. And so to see you get to do this today with your kids and your wife, this is happy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And this all this does is this signals the next part of life, which is going to be even better for you.
Speaker 3: Brett Kerr, it will.
Speaker 4: I'm looking forward to it. I appreciate these last fifteen years. I've learned a lot from it through you know, the mountaintop moments, through the valleys that have you feel like you're crawling through sludge right and hoping that you get to another mountaintop moment, and met a lot of really good people along the way that have impacted my life. I'm just I'm just extremely thankful. I really like trying to put everything into words like in that speech today of like my gratitude and my thankfulness. It felt almost impossible, right, and I know I still came up short with expressing that I did the best that I could.
Speaker 3: I felt you did.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's just to just kind of sit back and peel back the layers and you know, to be one of the one percent of the one percenters, uh, and kind of defy, you know, not being invited to combine. I didn't have any workouts. It's just you know, it's man, it's been a huge blessing, pretty.
Speaker 5: Good, just awesome. That's all I can say.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you. You've got a seat with us.
Speaker 1: You can do this. If you could join the Official Titans Podcast anytime.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 4: I'd love to do that. Stop out during training camp.
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, come on, come hang with us, with us, bring the new camera guy with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah. He's excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he knows what the food's about here.
Speaker 2: I know that's it. There's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 4: And he knows he knows the snacks. I mean he knows.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's growing up.
Speaker 1: He knows what's up for Brett Kern and Amy Wells, I Mike Keith, thanking you for listening to the Oh the teeth.
Speaker 7: He welcome to the big show where the Mansons go. Ever Body knows