Speaker 1: Welcome to the Betting pros PGA Podcast presented by DraftKings.
Speaker 2: I'm Pat Fitzmorris here with Bau McBrayer.
Speaker 1: It's Masters Week, the first major of the year is arguably the best major of the year, and today we will give you a full betting preview of the Masters Bow and I will let you know who we're betting. We'll make our one and done picks at the end of the show. We'll also do a very quick recap of the Valero Texas Open. In fact, let's cover the Valero right off the bat bow. Not a very interesting tournament. Brian Harmon wins the Valero Texas Open, finishing nine under par. Harmon raced out to an early lead by shooting sixty six in each of his first two rounds. Then the win picked up on the weekend and Harmon hung on. He shot a sporty seventy two Saturday in the blustery conditions. He shot a three over par seventy five on Sunday, but still won by three shots over Ryan Girard and Maverick McNeely. No one ever seriously threatened Harmon on the weekend. Gerard surged into second place on the strength of a final day sixty nine. He was one of only three players to break seventy in the difficult scoring conditions. On Sunday at TPC San Antonio, Maverick McNeely was steady eddie rounds of sixty eight, seventy two, seventy one and seventy two. MAV is still on the come up, and I think it's worth remembering how solidly he blamed the windy conditions over the weekend. I'm not sure what else to say about the Valero Texas Open Bow. It was kind of a tough watch. Honestly. Brian Harmon is, let's generously call him deliberate as a player. There's some great songs that are shorter than Brian Harmon's pre shot routine.
Speaker 3: There's some tool songs that are shorter than his pre shot routine.
Speaker 1: The bigger names in the field, Jordan Speith, Patrick Cantley, Corey Connors just sort of lurked around and never made a serious run at Harmon got anything profound to say about the Valero Texas Open Bow.
Speaker 3: I kind of laid it out last week. It's not a remarkable golf course. It's not usually a remarkable tournament. It's more of a tune up than anything, unless your name is Brian Harmon, who we actually time on a sun dial. There are because of global warming, glaciers actually move faster than he does now. It was fine for me because what I did bet were some placement bets. I had three guys in the top five, so that was nice. But not getting an outright when there. It's not that into the world there because we are all kind of anticipating this week the Valero Texas Open. Afterthought already out of my memory. Moving on, I don't want to talk about Brian Harmon anymore than I have to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just sort of a dull event.
Speaker 1: And you know, we talked about TPC San Antonio not being a very exciting venue, although the wind gave it some teeth. I would much rather talk about Augustin National And we will turn to the masters in just a moment.
Speaker 3: But first download the free Betting pros app for iOS and Android. With sportsbooks Sink, you can automatically track your bets across all major sportsbooks in one spot. You can easily monitor your bet performance by sport and bet type, including game picks, props and parlays. Go ahead and create your custom betting systems to find winning trends and profitable opportunities. Get a free trial of betting Pros Premium by downloading the app at bettingpros dot com slash apps and activating your trial on the upgrade screen.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the masters, and we have to start with Augusta National, the shangri La of American golf. It's in the northeastern part of Georgia, near the border with South Carolina. It's a par seventy two measuring seven five hundred and fifty five yards. It plays longer than its yardage because of all the elevation changes. I've been lucky enough to visit Augusta National. I don't think TV adequately captures those elevation changes. Maybe you get a sense of it when you see players on the tenth t looking down that ski slope of a fairway fairway that drops more than one hundred feet off the tee. It's the uphill climbs that you don't always get a sense of when you're watching on television. Because of the rolling terrain, Augusta National constantly challenges players with uneven lies, much more so than I think at any other tour venue. Congratulations on putting your drive in the fairway. Now try to hit a high fade with a five iron from a hook with the ball a hook lie with the ball above your feet like that is a challenge players often have to face on the par five to thirteenth hole, or they look toward the green, you know all the azaleas in bloom behind the back bunkers, and you know they've got that tough lie. Or they might have to hit an approach shot off a downslope to an elevated green. That's the challenge of number nine, a very underrated par four it Augusta. Shot shaping very important. There are some t shots where you're asked to work the ball from right to left, as on the thirteenth hall, where you want to avoid that stand of pine trees on the right side in order to have a go at the green in two. There are a lot of times when players will want to work the ball from left to right. Now, the fairways are generally pretty wide at Augusta National, and the rough range is from light to nonexistent. The big hitters do have an advantage here. Distance helps conquer the power fives and gives players an edge on some of the tougher par fours. Holes number ten and eleven jump to mind. But you don't need to be a big hitter to win the Masters, especially if conditions are firm and fast. We've seen bunters like Mike Weir and Zach Johnson wing green jackets. Now I mentioned the fairways are generally wide. There are some exceptions, no question, notably the t shot on the eighteenth hole that has to be one of the most terrifying t shots players will hit all year, with its narrow shoot between the trees to an uphill fairway. They're well placed bunkers all over the course. The only hole that doesn't have any bunkers is the par four fourteenth. Greenside bunkers aren't necessarily the worst place to be in many instances, but the fairway bunkers that Augusta can be pretty punishing. They're deep, and the sand at Augusta is soft. Can be pretty difficult to flush the ball out of a fairway bunker. And then bo there are the greens. Their bent grass and they are blazing fast. They're the toughest greens players are going to face all year. Augusta Nationals greens are big and undulating, with all sorts of complicated slopes. Puts can break severely if you don't put your shot in the right spot on the green. They're gonna be instances this week where players are actually hitting their putts away from the hole at more than one hundred and eighty degrees. They're gonna be three putts galore. There'll be some four, maybe even five putts. Ernie Elle's famously six putted the first hole from only three feet away in twenty sixteen. The greens just they make shot placements so critical. Stay below the hole and you'll be in great shape. Miss your target and end up above the hole, good luck to you. But the undulations of the Augusta greens can actually be friendly to players. Some greens will funnel well play shots toward the hole, setting up short birdie puts. You'll see that on the tiered eighteenth green, for instance. Players use the backboard for a little spin down to the hole when the pin is in the front of the green. We'll see it so on the sixteenth hole with that tricky left side pin placement on the lowest part of the green, and memorably we saw it on the par five second hole in twenty twelve, when Louis Ustasen landed his second shot on the front of the green and let it chase some eighty feet to the back right part of the green, it dropped in for a double eagle. That was the year Usti lost a playoff to Bubba Watson. It's very helpful to have experience with these greens. It's a big reason why it's rare for first timers to contend a at Gosten, why we see some of the same names on the leaderboard year after year. Ludwig Oberg was kind of an exception last year, finishing second in his Maden voyage at the Masters. You have to score well on the par fives here, no question about it. They are all very reachable in two. The thirteenth of the fifteenth holes are especially famous. I've talked about the thirteenth, which is five hundred and forty five yards and technically the easiest hole in the course as far as scoring average.
Speaker 2: Then there's the fifteenth.
Speaker 1: It's five hundred and fifty yards with a generous fair way, but you have to carry a pond with your approach shot miss long and then you have a difficult chip back with the green funneling balls toward that front pond. The front nine par fives number two and number eight are underrated gems. Number two presents a downhill approach shot to that crazy triangular green. Number eight gives you a blind uphill approach to a green guarded by mounds on either side, and negotiating the part threes is pretty critical too. The back nine has the famous twelfth hole, maybe the best and most difficult short part three in the world. It's only one hundred and fifty five yards to a long but extremely shallow green. You have to clear Rays Creek, and there's a steep embankment on the far side of the creek that will bat balls back into the water. The wind is extremely hard to judge on the twelfth hole, and Jordan Speith came to the twelfth with a five shot lead in the final round in twenty sixteen. His t shot hit the bank on the far side of Rays Creek and bounce back into the water. He hit his third shot fat from the drop area into the creek again. He sailed his fifth shot into the back bunker. Speeth took a quadruple bogie seven on the twelfth he lost to Danny Willett by three shots after leading by five with seven holes to play. Then there's the fame sixteenth hole with the pond in front of the hole into the left. It's this is the hole where Tiger Woods had the famous chip in during his duel with Chris DeMarco in two thousand and five. And the power threes on the front nine both play downhill. Number four is a two hundred and forty yard monster. You need to hit a great long iron to get the ball close to the hole. Number six is one hundred and eighty yards to one of the trickier greens on the course. And let's not leave out the par fours. The tenth and the eleventh holes are both long downhill dog legs. Number ten it's the hardest hole on the course by scoring average. Number eleven second hardest hole on the course. Number fourteen and number seventeen don't appear to be that complicated until you get to the greens. The fourteenth and seventeenth greens are both labby Corinthian. They might be the two toughest greens on the course. We talked about the eighteenth hole with its narrow, little shoot off the tee and its uphill approach to a tiered green front. Nine power fours are excellent too. I love number three. It's only three hundred and sixty yards, but it's another hole with a demanding green. Putting your wedge in the right spot is critical. Also a big fan of the four hundred and ninety five yard fifth hole with its big, bumpy green bottom line. There is not a single pushover hole at Augusta National. Every hole can yield a bow gear worse if you play it sloppily, but not any hole at Augusta is unconquerable. Like every hole here will yield a birdie or even an eagle if you play it artfully. The weather forecast for Augusta, Georgia this week pretty ideal, temperatures ranging from the low sixties to the mid seventies, no rain in the forecast, wins of five to ten miles an hour, maybe a little breezier than that on Friday. Not enough wind to really punish the players, but enough to challenged them now. Scotti Scheffler is the defending champion. He finished eleven under par last year, four shots better than Ludwig Oberg. It was Scotty's second win at the Masters. He also won in twenty two twenty twenty two, finishing minus ten and beating Rory McElroy by three shots. John Ram won in twenty twenty three. He was twelve under, four shots clear of Phil Mickelson and Brooks Koepka. Haadeki Matsuiama won in twenty twenty one. He finished minus ten to beat will Zalatoris by one stroke, and Dustin Johnson won the twenty twenty Masters, which was played in the fall that year due to COVID. DJ went twenty under par to win by five shots. I love this course, bo sprinkle my ashes here when I'm gone. Your thoughts on augustin Nashal.
Speaker 3: It's just it's perfect. It's perfect in every way. There's not a blade of grass out of place. The hills are unruly, the lies are uneven, the golf is somehow still incredibly fair. Good shots are rewarded with opportunities, and bad shots are swatted away with draconian consequences. That's what golf should be about. This is the measuring stick. This is the barometer for all championship golfers. If you're in this field, you want to be able to hold yourself up to that standard of how did I do at the Masters When the field is the strongest, it's the most concentrated at the top. Every top golfer is here, and every top golfer who's conquered Augusta in the past that's able to is here. That's what is The majesty of this tournament is unmistakable. It's unparalleled. You cannot beat to the Masters in any way, shape or form. And as for Gary Player who says it's not even in his top fifty golf courses, hogwash. This is the best golf course in the world. Maybe not the most famous, it's up there in fame too, but it's the best golf course in the world. And it's also the most exclusive. It has the mystique, it has the allure, and it's like, how often does a golfer want to venture into the woods for an experience like that? Well, here you go, tucked back into the woods is the crown jewel of championship golf. And it's just it's just the best. It's perfect.
Speaker 1: Augusta National not open to the public, but I would pay far more money than I could reasonably afford to play around at Augusta National.
Speaker 3: I would sell my house right now to play it at one time.
Speaker 1: It is that magical a place. Care to guess at a winning score this week ball.
Speaker 3: The weather is going to be mild and gettable, so it's probably going to be between fifteen and eighteen under part. A little bit more favorable scoring conditions this year, not quite as favorable as it was when it was softened in November of twenty twenty during the pandemic. But I do think that the field strength, how well the golfers are playing coming in, and with the way we've seen scoring trending is going low. So fifteen to eighteen under part most likely.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go a little a little higher than you for winning score BO as far as well, not quite as high relative to under par. I'm gonna say minus twelve, minus thirteen. I think firm, Yeah, firm and fast conditions. I think could could trick it up a little. Granted, there's not going to be a lot of wind and the greens aren't going to be soft, but I without the soft greens.
Speaker 3: Oh it's brutally difficult. And so yeah, if you hear anybody say that they could break eighty at Augusta their life. Yeah, or they're delusional, or they're both. It's it's just who are they lying to?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 3: Are themselves? This course is absolutely disgusting for an amateur to even think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with a masters setup, if you are a scratch golfer, I don't think you're breaking eighty quite honestly, No.
Speaker 3: Chance, No chance, maybe ninety.
Speaker 1: Now the battle for the jacket is heating up in Augusta, and there is no better place to sweat the action than DraftKings Daily Fantasy, the ultimate destination fantasy golf fans, and for this year's first major, DraftKings is giving all customers shot to play free for a one million dollars top prize with your next ten dollars deposit on the DraftKings Fantasy app. It's simple to play, build your dream lineup while staying under the salary cap, then sit back and watches your player's rack up points, every birdie, every bogie, every clutch pot, feel the intensity of every shot. I talked about wanting to get Patrick Reid into my Draft Kings DFS lineups last week. Bo I do indeed think he's value priced at seventy three hundred, another bargain.
Speaker 2: Price to live to her player. How about Sergio Garcia.
Speaker 1: He's only seventy one hundred, He's been playing well, and he loves this course. Sergio is a green jacket in his closet. I'm torn between Scotti, Scheffler and Rory McElroy as my anchor player, leaning a little toward the slightly less expensive Rory. Does anyone stand out to you as an especially good Draft Kings DFS play at the Masters Bow.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a couple at the top as my anchor. I'm going to sue the top two guys completely because the number three golfer in the world behind Scotty and Rory is Xander Schoffley, and he's going for sub ten k on DraftKings at ninety seven hundred. He's got four top tens in his last five years at the Masters. So yeah, I'm going to take the easy value with Xander Schaffley there and right in that same range where you're finding Patrick Reid. I love that pick. But how about a guy who's averaging eighty DraftKings points a week this season, Sepstrack at seventy six hundred. That's a great value one of the best approach players with short game that we have in this field, and he just seems to He seems to do well when the conditions get tough. And guess what, It's not going to be easy this week.
Speaker 1: Not download the DraftKings Daily Fantasy app and use code BP golf to play free for a shot at the one million dollar top prize with just a ten dollars deposit. That's for all DraftKings customers. Just download the Daily Fantasy app use code BP golf for your free shot today. The Crown is yours. Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler in New York Call one eight hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope enn why or text hope n why to four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org eighteen plus in most eligible states, but age varies by jurisdiction. Eligibility restrictions apply. Voidware prohibited new customers only, Minimum ten dollars deposit required. One single use ten dollars ticket rewarded for Fantasy Golf Millionaire contest that expires on April tenth at seven am. See terms at DraftKings dot com Slash Promotions sponsored by DraftKings Now for the master's odds. These odds are courtesy of the DraftKings Sportsbook as of Monday morning. Please know that some player odds will have changed slightly by the time you consume this show. Scotty Scheffler is the favorite at plus four hundred. Rory McElroy is plus six fifty short odds for Rory to win his first Green Jacket this week. Big John Rahm is plus thirteen hundred. Bryce and d Chambeau, Colin Morikawa and Xander Schoffley are plus eighteen hundred. Ludwig Oberg is plus two thousand, Justin Thomas plus twenty five hundred, Brooks Koepka and Hideki Matsuyama are plus three thousand, Jordan Spieth is plus thirty five hundred, and Victor Hovland, Tommy Fleetwood and Patrick Cantley our plus four thousand. Let's talk about this GROUPO, how do you feel about Scotty at plus four hundred and Rory at plus six fifty and do any of the other players stand out to you?
Speaker 3: This is a horse for course type of course. And that being said, I see two green jackets in Scotti Scheffler's closet and zero in Rory McElroy's. Twenty eleven was the year they had the big lead in completly fell apart on Sunday. Ever since then, Rory McElroy has been cursed at Augusta National. And yes he is the only multiple time winner on tour this season, I still think he's cursed. I still think that these odds are an insult to bookmaking because it's just a bunch of suckers like us out there wanting to ride that Rory wave. And yes it was very tempting, but to get the number three ranked golfer in the world at plus eighteen hundred is ludicrous. Xanderschoffley is a better track record at Augusta National than Rory does. He's playing decently well for coming off an injury earlier this season, and I think as far as it goes, he's a better horse for this course than is Rory McElroy. I'm probably gonna withhold my Scottie Scheffler betting unless I get a double digit odds type of live bet setup where he's still within striking distance with enough holes to play to catch up and make that bet worth it. But I'm starting my outright card with Xanderschoff, and I'm going to run right into Ludwig Oberg at plus two thousand. Shaffley is the longest odds I could ever predict, because I handicapped him at plus eight hundred. So getting an extra ten to one odds for a guy that's number three in the world and a multiple major winner last year, defending PGA champion, defending champion Golf of the Year last year, and we're going to talk about this guy being rolled over into plus eighteen hundred territory. It's ludicrous. And on the same token, I'm betting Ludwig Oberg at the absolute shortest odds I would bet him at at plus two thousand. That's just because his upside is unmistakable. This guy has more of a killer instinct than you they would ever imagine. He's got a lot more brooks kept cut under the hood than he does. Somebody meek and mild like his outside persona very cheerful, very very calm and collected, but that dude is an ice cold killer under the surface. Like brooks Kepi. He's a big game hunter and he's got the upside that could run away with the Masters tournament like he almost did last year. He almost ran down Scotty Shuffler last year until he dunked one on eleven. And that is why I think that he could make a Tiger esque run at a Masters in his career where he just dominates the field by double digit strokes. Lud Vic Oberg has that in his range of outcomes. I don't think anybody outside of Scotty has that.
Speaker 1: So few players making their debut at Augusta seriously contend. You have to pay attention when a player making his debut finishes second. Solow second, and he was so calm last year, bo Like, he looked like he was having fun out there. Oberg has missed the cut in his last two events, though, like I can't think of the last time a player missed a cut in his last event before the Masters and won the green jacket. That's the only thing that scares me. I'm with you on everything else with him. Xander top ten at the Masters three of the last four years, hasn't quite gotten into the groove yet. In twenty twenty five, he had the slow start, but you know, would it really be to see him turn it on this week?
Speaker 2: And of course he plays well.
Speaker 1: And yeah, Scotty obviously has the strong recent track record of the Masters. But Scotty hasn't won in six starts this year.
Speaker 2: Bo.
Speaker 1: He's a runner up in Houston a few weeks ago, but he's only been top ten and three of his six events.
Speaker 3: Oh how tragic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's.
Speaker 3: You know, like obviously the comedy of airs with Scotty Scheffler. We can't expect him to win out of six tournaments. What has he turned into?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Grading on a curve, I guess we're giving Scotty a C minus this season, but for anyone else that would be an A minus. I'm going to follow the patented bow mcbarar strategy for betting Scotty Scheffler. I'm not playing him at plus four hundred against such a loaded field, a field that now includes all the studs from the Live Tour. But I'm looking for opportunities where Scotty's odds drifts. Maybe double Bogie's one of his first couple of holes, or maybe another player jumps out to a multi shot lead and all of a sudden, Scotty goes to plus eight hundred. That's where I might look to pounce on a Scotty outright. I'm with young Rory bo like very sharp this year, wins at Pebble Beach in the Players Championship, and man, you'd think he'd have at least one green jacket by now. But ever since that faithful Sunday and twenty eleven when a twenty one year old Rory McElroy took a five shot lead into the final round and shot eighty that day, it has been one tail of ball after another for Rory at augusta runner up in twenty twenty two, but he's missed the cut in two of his last four Masters twenty second last year. He could absolutely win this week, and I'd love to see it. Not eager to jump on him at plus six fifty. What about Ram at plus thirteen hundred bow He's won the Masters, hasn't won on the Live Tour yet this year, but he's played pretty well a lot of top tens. It's got that great combination of power off the tee and touch around the greens. Do you think there's any value at plus thirteen hundred.
Speaker 3: He's a tricky one because as well as he's played, I haven't seen the peak form that we saw when he won the Masters a couple of years ago. So probably not gonna bet John Ram here unless he slips to more of a fifteen to sixteen number. It's still all of these guys up here have very high likelihood of winning or chasing that top of the leaderboard this week. Wouldn't surprise me at Algy at Ram at double digits and be happy about it. I'm just not as excited as some people are about him, because again, we haven't seen him really have that killer instinct that he showed a couple of years ago at Augusta to win. I just don't. I don't see the win here. I don't see the hunger it's required to win here this year. This field is loaded, and I just want to see that fire come back to John Ram. He's a Spaniard for Gord's sake. We gotta see that fire comeback so we can be eating pie at the Champions dinner next year.
Speaker 2: How about Colin Morikawa?
Speaker 1: Say odds as Xander Schaffley plus eighteen hundred not always great with the putter, but he is an elite ball striker. He's finished top ten at Augusta in each of the last three years, including a third last year, and he's been playing well this year. What do you think about the value on Morikawa.
Speaker 3: That's another guy that's been bet up a lot this week because of his ball striking prowess, not just putting, but clutch. Does he have the clutch gene? Does he have the killer instinct that we've seen from other winners calin more Kawa hasn't won since he won the US Open a few years ago. He hasn't won in two years. And this is a world class player, top ten in the world, one of the best ball strikers, iron players in the world. You have to be able to putt, you have to be able to make birdie putts, you have to be able to salvage two putts on Augusta National and that's what's held calling back and the tale of two guys who both dunked their approach shots on number eleven last year down the stretch trying to chase down Scotti Scheffler lud Vig Oeberg dunked it on eleven and smiled a rise smile to his caddy saying, well, I guess that's it, folks, and he kept playing. Calin more Kawa done his approach on eleven. It looked like he shut down completely, absolutely devastated. You could see his entire like focus cracked. It crumbled, like he crumbled like a cracker, like a like a chocolate chip cookie. It's been left out in the sun. He folded. That was not what I want to see in a championship like this one. He might not ever have the killer instinct required to win a green jacket, and for him to get bet up as inflated as he is, I just don't see it. As much as I love watching him play, I just don't see it. And I will not be placing any bets on Colin Morikawa this year. We're ever at the Masters.
Speaker 1: There points Bryson d Chambeau got to talk about him. He finished sixth here last year. But Augusta has not been especially kind to Bryson. He famously said a few years ago that he was going to treat Augusta as a par sixty eight because of the short par fives. And yes, Bryson is a guy who could go ten under par on the par fives this week, But does he have the needed touch around the greens. I think that's the big question, And really, will his distance off the t be a big advantage in a week when the course is going to be pretty dry and firm, Like I'd be much more intrigued if Bryson were playing kind of a saggy Augusta. I'd also be more intrigued if you weren't a YouTube superstar who's fame is probably artificially lowering his odds. So are you with me that there's not a lot of value on Bryson at plus eighteen hundred.
Speaker 3: Well, Bryson and Ludvigger similar in that they both have that upside of going really really low on a tough golf course. We saw what Bryson can do on a tough track that challenges his short game at the US Open last year. Pinehurst was the absolute test for Bryson to Shambo, and Pinehurst and Augusta not that different. Really. There's a lot of similarities in how they're laid out, what kind of misses you can have, what kind of misses you can't have. And Bryson impressed me, so I'm more likely to bet Bryson than I am Colin or Rory. Because of that, will I still feature him on my card? Probably not, because, again, the chipping and putting is such a stressor on all these players that I'm going to be leaning towards the guys who are not just adequate in the short game but elite.
Speaker 1: Now, you're the Justin Thomas guy, bo, how do you feel about JT? He is twenty five to one. He's had a top five and a pair of top tens here in recent years, but he also missed the cut here in each of the last two years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, another guy who's struggling with the putter on occasion, but his big bugaboo has been off the tee, and as tough as it is to position yourself off the tee here, I probably won't bet him at twenty five to one. I was hoping to see him at thirty or thirty five so I could make a bet that made me want to watch the Masters even more that just didn't pan out. Twenty five to one is fair. It's just not that good of a line for Justin Thomas, especially since he has missed the weekend here twice in a row. This is a different Justin Thomas. It's good. It's just a different style of play than we've seen in the last couple of years. So I hope he does well. I'm just not gonna be betting on it.
Speaker 1: Let's look at the odds for some of the mid range options. Tyrrel Hatton and Shane Lowry are plus forty five hundred. Georgia native Russell Henley is plus fifty five hundred, Cameron Smith, Minwoo Lee and Robert McIntyre are plus six thousand. Aksha Beatilla, will Zlatoris and Sergio Garcia are plus sixty five hundred. Corey Conners is plus seven thousand, Tory Finow, Jason Day, and Sepstraca are plus seventy five hundred, and Wyndham Clark is plus eight thousand. Let's talk about these guys, but is there any betting value in this range?
Speaker 3: There is with a couple guys. I will caution a lot of people on guys who have big holes in their game. This course is going to test your entire bag. It's gonna test every amount of creativity you have in your brain to make that bag work for you on this golf course, and it's gonna do that for four ruling days, we're walking up and down gigantic hills, and you're going to be thinking your whole way around. So in this mid range, I'm looking for the thinkers. I'm looking for the guys who aren't going to crack under the pressure and aren't going to be ruined by one bad hole. And so with that being said, I'm going to actually look to see Hideki Matziyama, a prior champion, kind of slip into that mid tier. If he slips to thirty five or forty to one, we're looking at a huge, huge investment and ladder bet for me because a is a prior champion. One of the best master's moments I've ever seen was him and his caddie turning towards the eighteenth fair we had bowing to the setting Georgian sun. This guy is playing outstanding golf right now, and there's no telling how much more of a memory he's going to create at this golf course when he's a what twenty six years old. Hideki Matziama is still in the prime of his career. He's playing great golf and he's already got that good vibes going at Augusta National. That's a guy that I'm willing to throw a lot of money on, especially if he slips past thirty to one to thirty five or forty. And then the other guy is who doesn't like Cameron Smith at Augusta. This guy just a He's a top ten machine at Augusta. It's because he plays a timeless style of golf where he's not that great off the tee. He's a short hitter. He plays a more positional style. There is not a more lethal golfer in the world with a wedge and putter in his hand. There's just not. He's number one in every short game metric, He's number one in every putting metric. He's number one in every short game thing you can even measure. And the proof is in the pudding. This guy is fun to watch. He scores on tough golf courses. It's because he does not really he does not relent when a wedge or putter is in his hand. And I think that he breaks through this year in a big way. At sixty to one, that's an insult. He's plus four hundred just to get a top ten, which he's done every year, but one that he's been at Augusta.
Speaker 1: Oh, the man is a machine van go with a wedge in his hands. Boy, the short game always plays up at Augusta for Cam Smith, and he's finished top ten in four of the last six Masters. But Cam's foreman lived tour this year not not real good, only one top ten finish in five starts Bots. The top ten finish just came this past week in Miami. It was only a nine.
Speaker 3: At a very tough golf course that challenges the shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, winning score was what minus six? So, yeah, Darrell is tough.
Speaker 3: I remember Durrell being on the PGA Tour and that's a really good barometer and warm up for Augusta's actually at the Live Miami tournament there at Darrell.
Speaker 1: Agreed, good tune up. Russell Henley bow He's from Macon, Georgia. He's a Georgia bulldog. I realized Henley is sort of a Bermuda green specialist and Augusta has bent grass greens. But Henley finished fourth here two years ago and he's been playing great this year. He's sixth in strokes gained total twenty two in strokes gained on approach, nineteenth in strokes gained putting. I guess what maybe scares me a little bit is that he's barely inside the top one hundred and strokes gained scrambling. But at fifty five to one, I'm definitely interested. I'm also kind of interested in Robert McIntyre, like left handers might have an advantage here with the way they shape the ball, especially the ones who play the fade and Phil Mickelson, Bubba Watson, Mike Weir all lefties, all pass champions multiple times for Phil and Bubba. McIntyre has finished twelfth and twenty third and two previous Masters starts, and his recent form has been pretty solid eleventh, ninth, and ninth in his last three PGA Tour events. Will v Xalatorus excuse me, looks like really good value great ball striker hasn't had a top ten this year, but he's had three straight top tens at the Masters. And speaking of great ball strikers, bo, I'm kind of conflicted on Corey Connors. He's pretty dialed in three top tens in his last four events. He was just eighteenth at the Valero Counters was making a big move on Saturday at the Valero. Then he three part of the par five seventeenth for a bogie, And that is the concern for Corey Connors at Augusta. He's not a good putter by PJ Tour standards, short game. Can he pot well enough to win at Augusta? But can he be a VJ Singh a guy who's a great ball striker and a mediocre putter, but his putter gets hot for four days. That's what happened to VJ when he won the Masters.
Speaker 3: So VJ is a mediocre petter. Corey Connors is an atrocious putting point and he's an atrocious chipper too, So yeah, Corey Connor has better bet on like the most insane heater of approach proximity on the correct side of the hole, because if this guy gets short sighted or above the hole, he's absolutely toast.
Speaker 2: Very true.
Speaker 1: He is a surgeon with the iron, so maybe you can do that, but man to do that over seventy two holes at Agasta is a pretty tall order. Granted, what about long shots? Bo We don't see many long shot winners at the Masters, but we do occasionally get the on Hell Cabrera from two thousand and nine who breaks through for a win at longer odds. So is there anyone you like north of eighty.
Speaker 3: To one as two guys I circled, Like you said, the long shot bets of the Masters don't usually pan out because these these guys are all so good, and you get a couple stragglers that barely qualify in the last weeks before the tournament. I'm gonna go for long shots with experience. I'm gonna go with Keegan Bradley. Oh, captain, my captain. He's gonna be He's gonna be leading us the Red, White and Blue at Bethpage Black in September. This guy's playing great golf and he's he's just he's so sharp on approach this year that I don't see his weaknesses really showing up. Because this guy's always been a great scrambler, always been a great grinder, and his kind of his tee to green game has put what's held him back in the past. Well, guess what, He's as sharp as he's ever been, top seven in this field on approach, and he's one of the best par five scorers in this field period. He's at one hundred to one, and I can absolutely see Keegan Bradley going on one of those miracle runs where he just gets the crowd fired up and he goes out there and the patrons, as they call him at Augusta National, will definitely be behind the captain of TM USA for the Ryder Cup and the last one is two hundred and fifty to one. It's a yolo vet. It's just based on short game. Christian Bizet Note of South Africa. He hasn't won anything since twenty twenty, but he's playing his best golf of his career right now. He's got the short game to stay in contention, make the cut his top twenty bettest plus four hundred. I just think that it's something that's just it's a feel bet for me where I'm just looking at the course setup and who might fit in a basis. But he's played the Masters three times, not in the last two years, but though the three times he's played the Masters, he's made the cut all three times. So I do like his fit here, especially with the form he's carrying in.
Speaker 1: You could talk me into a first round leader bet On Baz Oh oh yeah, interesting, Oh yeah, for sure, I could see it.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's good. It's probably thirty or forty to one at worst.
Speaker 1: Now now Patrick Reid at one hundred to one, Yes, please, one of the best short games in the world, A magician's touch around the greens. Patrick Reid won the Green Jacket in twenty eighteen and has been top ten in three of his six Masters appearances since the victory. Firm fast conditions would work in his favor. I believe, yes, I'm all over Patrick Reid at one hundred to one now. If anyone could win the Masters at age fifty four ball, it's Phil Michelson.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: He's won three Green jackets, he knows every inch of this course. His short game has made for the place, and he has been in good form lately. Third a Live Hong Kong last month, six that Live Miami this past week. He's one hundred and ten to one, and Cameron Young not great form this week long odds though, for a guy who's finished top ten in each of the last two years at the Masters and is strong with the driver, So I'm not sure I can get you on board.
Speaker 2: For that one bow. But just just throwing that out there for the people.
Speaker 3: It's the people. The people are gonna be fun. It's gonna be fun. Watching Cam Young try to put on anything, let alone the toughest screens that we're gonna see all year. It's it's gonna be entertainment at its finest. Yeah, watching Cam Young try to navigate these screens again.
Speaker 1: Oddly enough, I think he's in the just inside the top fifty and strokes gained putting this year right around fifty. But then you know, you look at last year and it was one hundred and fifty fourth, So that's a pretty good reflection of what kind of putter he actually is. Yeah, so let's get to the early betting cards. Bo who is on yours as of right now?
Speaker 3: So Xander Schaffley at plus eighteen hundred, Ludwig Oberg at plus two thousand, and then I dropped down to Hideki Matsiyama currently at plus three thousand, Cam Smith at plus six thousand, and then I'm gonna throw some darts at Keegan Bradley at plus ten thousand, and Christian is a newte at plus two twenty five two hundred fifty to one.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not putting a lot on a John Ram outright, but I do have a little something on Ram at plus thirteen hundred I'm gonna I'm gonna follow your Xander Schaffley advice BO, just the way he's been so steely in recent majors. I'm gonna take him at plus eighteen hundred, Russell Henley plus fifty five hundred with a top ten kicker at plus three twenty, Will Zalatorus at plus sixty five hundred with a top five kicker at plus seven fifty. I'm doing Corey Connors for a top ten bow at plus four hundred. I don't think he can win, but I think he can finish top ten as well as he's been hitting the ball. Sergio Garcia for a top twenty at plus one seventy five. Mind you, at top twenty, Sergio has actually been playing pretty well lately. He's hitting the ball great. And Phil Mickelson for a top twenty at plus three hundred and to make the cut at minus one fifteen. I think those are both really good bets. And then my two biggest investments of the week Bow I am ladder betting Patrick Reid one hundred to one to win, eleven to one for a top five, plus four fifty for a top ten, and plus one eighty for a top twenty and I have a substantial wager on Max Homa to miss the cut at even money plus one hundred. Home has been utterly lost this year. He's missed five straight cuts. His best finish was a fifty third at Pebble Beach back in February. Maxhoma recently changed caddies. He had one of his closest friends since childhood on his bag. They've parted ways. I don't think there's any way Maxhoma makes the cut this week. Maxhoma missing the cut is my favorite single bet of the week. I hate to be a grave dancer bow, but you know, I just think that's a fantastic money making opportunity. Now for our one and done picks. BO had Akshay Battia last week at the Valero. He missed the cut. Bo's very first miss cut of the year, ending a streak of thirteen straight events in which Bo's player made the cuts. I had Corey Connors. He tied for eighteenth, good for one hundred and thirteen and fifty dollars. You are up first at the Masters Bow.
Speaker 2: Who are you taking?
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna burn it right here.
Speaker 1: Scotty Scheffler, Oh, the big one there it is now for anyone in a one and done pool. I mean, I can't argue with Scotty Scheffler as a play like I would hope not in.
Speaker 2: A big money event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I do think for most people, especially the people who might have might be saving Scotty, might have used Scotty somewhere else, I think the smart play is to take a live tour player this week. You only have four chances to use the stars of the Live Tour, the four Majors and a bunch of the tour guys have great track records at the Masters and games that are well suited for this course. So I do think it's game theory optimal to use a live player this week. I am going to take Big Jon Rahm. And that is all for this week's Betting Pros PGA podcast sponsored by DraftKings. We'd like to thank DraftKings for their sponsorship. Please come join us again next week for our recap of the Masters and our betting preview of the RBC Heritage.
Speaker 2: Until then, so long everyone.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to the Betting Pros podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Follow us on x and TikTok at Betting Pros and Instagram at betting Pros NFL.
Speaker 3: Also subscribe to our
Speaker 4: YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Betting Pros