Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: Hell that for me. I'm a man, I'm.
Speaker 1: For I've heard so many players.
Speaker 2: Say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 3: You want to be happy for a day?
Speaker 1: Eta Steak is that woo woof? And don and tie Welcome back to the solid verbal Boys and girls, My name is ty hilden Brand has always joined by the Monster of the Midway, Dad Rubenstein. Sir, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm not too bad. I'm not too bad. It's a windy day here, but life is decent. Life, life is pretty decent. I didn't have to attack any rodents today, great, which to me is a win. I uh, I'm a little bit sore from working out yesterday, but I got to watch highlights of spring games and go back and see what people think of where rosters are at, and got to come up with an especially silly and nonsensical theme for an off season show, Tye.
Speaker 1: The juices are flowing, The juice is are full. And we had our board meeting we did last night, so we're recording the show a little bit early. This show is going to play back for most of the general public on Tuesday. We're recording this on Thursday. We had the opportunity to meet with our board of trustees. It was a productive meeting. I can't give too much away. We will make some minutes from that call public because folks on the Patreon obviously are very interested. But let's just say a productive call, a spirited group of rebawlers who had wisdom to impart on the show on college football, on life in general. I was thrilled. It was a great experience.
Speaker 3: They have approved me as co host for our They've rolled over my contract for another year, which was it was a close vote, it was, but I'm grateful that I will be a board for the next year until the next board meets exactly. And we also released funds so that I can buy a new stool or a new chair, because look, you go starting to be a hunchback here, which isn't good.
Speaker 1: It's insane given this current set up. A long way to go as we build towards the college football season. This episode, all of our episodes driven by our good friends over at Geiico. Don't forget to subscribe or follow whatever your podcasting apps vernacular is, Please do click it. We'll be here all off season due and two shows a week. You can go out to Forballers dot com. That's our Patreon. You can find an additional show every week called The Brew and A. We also have bonus features that we drop there from time to time, the most notable of which as of late has been Dan's Extra Nuggets podcast, the Trivia Bass show that he does with our good friend Adam Amin, the voice of the Bulls Dan Rubinstein. Yeah, stay tuned for more on that. Of course, there's also Discord Server. There's also a bunch of other knickknacks that are available only to that Patreon community at verballers dot com and finally, Solid Giveaway dot Com. That's where you can go to put your name in the hat to win that AJ Brown signed ole Miss Mini helmet. You've gotten till April to twenty third to do just that mentioned earlier, the theme of this show. Yeah, you mentioned that you're excited about it. Correct, Yes, I too am excited about this concept. It may not be for everybody, yeah, but correct, But we're building to the season and a big step on that journey is what we call spring football. What we're doing right now, what we're reading about on a weekly basis right now, as we go through April, we are taking spring snapshots today, we are talking about after these games, what seems to be in focus, what seems to be still fairly blurry. And on that note, Dan, let me turn the baton over to you for a little bit more detail around what is this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially given the time of year and given the movement across the sport with coaches and players, I think it's almost a rarity that too much is in focus. You're going to have your incumbent star quarterbacks, your Bryce Young's, your CJ. Strouds, You'll have your Clemson defensive line where it's just like, of course, it's completely in focus. What the strength, where the experience, where the talent of this team lies as a no brainer. But by and large, this is a time when a lot is blurry. And as soon as you use that word blurry, I said, I know exactly where we're going this episode thematically that will resonate with the youth of today, and that is leaning into Puddle of MUD's blurry, which doesn't really have to do with the focus as far as I can tell of college football team.
Speaker 1: No, but no. Nonetheless, we will.
Speaker 3: Talk about Puddle of Mud a little bit later because we each research puddle of mud. Why I don't know. I honestly have no clue why would we would research puddle of mud. But especially of the teams that have just had that already completed at the time of recording their spring games or whatever they call that sort of you know, the Garnet and Gold game whatever, there's still a lot that is quite and we are going to look at the open questions and haziness of a lot of these teams they head into summer workouts and eventually fall camp. The way that you wove that all together was really thank you work of art, Dan, Thank you, thank you. And again it's puddle of mud, not puddle. No, not not that, not mud puddle, No, not ud puddle. Well, thank you for laying that out there. We hope everyone is excited for this show. I know we are and on top of it. As we go through and discuss a bunch of teams that had spring action, we are also going to bring on Sam Khan of the Athletic Yes, a self proclaimed texpert, he is a senior writer. He covers all things Texas football and recruiting. Sam's going to stop by and give us a little bit more wisdom as it relates to Texas A and M.
Speaker 1: Texas A and M one of those teams, really one of those storylines we go into the twenty twenty two season, maybe just on the weight of their recruiting. G ass alone, the class that they reeled in was historic in nature, and we're hopeful, I think, just as college football fans, as people who cover the sport from afar that Jimbo Fisher can get things going. Maybe he can get a little bit more offense going downfield. We'll find out what Sam saw in that spring game. And if A and M is legit or if it's a bunch of bluster about nothing, I would argue, and I think you would agree that Texas A and M situation and place in the sport is wholly unique, wholly unique.
Speaker 3: Why do you say that Texas A and M and will get into it with Sam? I promise that they behave spend, recruit carry themselves higher, fill a stadium like expand like a traditional national power without the results. And I don't say that. I know people think, oh Dan, here's Dan hating on A and M.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 3: We get a lot of comments like that, and I sure, but it's not true, it's unique, right. It's a lot of these schools that have whether it's Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, that they have somewhat recently set a standard to set expectations at a certain level, fair or not. Whereas Texas A and M is setting a standard that they have yet to meet, which is fascinating. And I think it's only great if Texas A and M is a dominant college football team moving forward. Because it's new, and that's it. I hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on a new power. Continue when we get to the Sam interview, Does this mean that we're switching the motif of the show from puddle of MUD's blurry to want to be by the Spice Girls. No, I want to escape and move past the idea that I don't like Texas A and M. I've been to College Station, I've been to a game of Kyle Field. I had a great time there. And again, a new power in the sports is novelty, and I'm pro novelty. So I'm just curious to talk to Sam and I think he has been around the program recently and curious to hear him way in on what he sees and hears Dan, what team do you want to start out with first? Well, you took some and I took some. Let's talk about one of those powers. Let's talk about a team that played in the playoff last year, which, considering the storyline around their coach, considering the story of their line around some of the emerging talent on the team, with the upcoming draft, seems to hold at the top.
Speaker 1: I think we should talk about Michigan to start things off. How about that, Abe? Oh?
Speaker 3: Interesting, No, we can go to Cincinnati next. We'll start with the playoff teams that are on our list. Michigan is a fascinating case study. Josh Gattis leaves from Miami, I would saying Mike McEntyre Mike McDonald goes back back to the NFL to the Ravens from from WinCE from which from where he came originally. So they're replacing two full time coordinators, one of which will be Matt Weiss. Is Matt Weiss, who is a promotion from quarterbacks coach as a new offensive coordinator. Co offensive coordinator was shown more and then the new defensive coordinator comes in from Vanderbilt, also via the Ravens in Jesse minter. It's been a fascinating offseason. Jim Harbaugh, a legit finalist for the Vikings job who did not get the Vikings job seemed to badly and dearly want the Vikings job, is now back to being dedicated and loyal as the Michigan head coach after deeply wanting the Vikings head.
Speaker 1: Go here, and here's what's interesting about that. Here's what's interesting about that. Yeah, because we had said for a while it seemed as if Horball was building towards this move to the NFL to the extent where it came out that he was telling recruits the entertaining it. Yeah, and then the Vikings thing comes up. It appears he's a finalist. Almost the second that the interview's over, he starts talking about how he's going back to college. It was a one time thing, right, Are we too believe that it's a one time thing, because and look, I'm not trying to throw cold water on Jim Harbaugh going back to Michigan, building this thing up, getting back to the Big Ten championship of the playoff, nothing like that. I'm excited at that mere notion that he is staying and he's not another coach leaving for another job. I love that, right, But there's a track record with this guy that he gets nancy after he's been in a place for too long. Prior to this Michigan gig, what was it year four years that that was his longest stint at any one institution, any one team. So I don't know if I'm fully buying in that Jim Harbaugh is now suddenly a Michigan lifer. I am buying in on this being a good thing for college football in Michigan. Yep, in terms of what's in focus, what's not in focus, Having a good InFocus head coaching situation, it's a net positive for the sport. Yes, yes, no, it absolutely is. And so Michigan is fascinating because for so long it was a sort of ground and pounds strength to the offense with okay but not amazing quarterbacks at the best, at Michigan's best. Before last year, offensively, it was a lot of success on the ground and playing that sort of like mashing game, controlling the clock, everything like that, and then dominating on defense with that Don Brown attacking defense. And now things have shifted schematically on defense and too much success last year, of course, punctuated by the Big Ten championship game and the Ohio State win. I think Michigan's fascinating. I think right now, when you look at the strengths of the team, it's hard not to say, given the change on defense, especially upfront with Aiden Hutchinson and David o'jabo on their ways to the NFL, the strength of the mission team right now, if we're to believe that there should be somewhat seamless transitions at coordinator spots, it's probably the emerging talent at skill positions on offense right the guys who came on in different spots, Donovan Edwards andrel Anthony on offense. I don't know if they have an obvious powerback replacement for Hassan Haskins, but Caate McNamara certainly good enough to get this team over the Ohio State and Iowa humps to the playoff. May not have showed out against Georgia, but there's not too many guys who really showed out against the twenty twenty one Georgia defense, so I can excuse some of that. But if there is anything that Michigan was lacking last year, it was the depth of talent level to compete with the best of the sport. Now with offensive bodies emerging, there's a new freshman who performed well in the spring game, Darius Clemens, a bigger receiver. The tight end group looks very very good. Offensive line will see but I feel decent about them, and there is talent on defense. There's for sure talent on defense, especially young talent in that secondary. We'll see how the guys are who are replacing that unbelievable tandem at defensive end. But if you're a Michigan fan, knowing that Ohio State will improve this year from some of the depths to which they fell on certain areas on certain saturdays last year, I still think if you are a believer in Harbaugh's renewed focus, which I'm not fully there yet, but I can understand why Michigan people would be because you know, moved on whatever. This has to be seen as a ten plus win program right now, and so that the snapshot of them in spring, especially with more options on offense in terms of speed, in terms of talent than they've probably had since Harbaugh arrived, you probably have getting Ronnie Bell back at receiver. I just I think you gotta be pretty damn excited if you're a Michigan fan right now. I think that's fair. Yeah, I mean gosh, to have the kind of season that they had, to know that you got your coach back. Of course, there's turnover in some key spots. That's pretty much the case for all the big programs. But you know, to finally get over that hump, I think is a pretty big deal. So if you're a Michigan fan, if you're somebody just a college football fan and maybe doesn't have a dog in the fight, I think what you're hoping for is that getting over the hump now propels them forward and leads to greater heights. I know that was always at least the theory for Notre Dame. I don't know if that truly happened, but we'll see. For Michigan.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to see what twenty two it's holds in store. The big thing is star power for me. For Michigan, it's the star power of the ad rushers and even just in the back end with Dax Hill and how all over the place he was. I'm extremely confident that they will have very good players. But that's not good enough right now, given that Michigan is in the present tense a playoff program, So it's the star power thing. Are they developing those guys to take over games at various position groups? Why don't we do Cincinnati?
Speaker 1: Since that's why I love you were talking about playoff program, Another playoff program. Yeah, the Cincinnati Bearcats. Cincinnati Bearcats in an interesting spot now, especially given the turnover on that roster, especially on defense. One of the things that jumped out to me just in doing some of the research on these guys. They opened the year at Arkansas. Yeah, great, which is a great opening week matchup. Maybe not for a team that's replacing quarterback what to all Americans their defensive backfield, my Jay Sanders along the line, They're going to have their work cut out for them for sure this coming season. And I think that was sort of by takeaway. If we are trying to frame this conversation in terms of what's in focus and what's blurry, really, for me, what's most in focus, thank you, thank you, thank of course, always what's most in focus is actually the blurry stuff. Interesting. I don't know if we've got any real hard answers to any of these questions, let me start there. Okay, first and foremost, des Ritter is going to be a draft pick. We talked to Nate Tice about it. Nate Tice seems to like des Ritter an awful lot. Des Ridder was there for a while. He was a successful quarterback, but now he's gone, which means that they've got to replace that position. It seems as if the job is Evan Prater's to look Okay, Evan Prater only through eleven passes last season, two touchdowns, but eleven passes five to eleven in total. So des Ritter walks out, you're gonna turn it over one way or another to somebody who doesn't have a whole lot of experience. Seems like it's going to be Praterer. Could also be Ben Bryant. But if I'm putting money on anybody, I think I'm putting that money on Evan Prater right now. Look fine, in the spring game, you know, not really anything to report back one way or the other. But it seems as if it's probably his job to lose offensively. Though offensively outside of you know, a couple moments at running back where there were long runs outside of I think a nice showing at tight end. The offense to me, remains a huge point of contention going into the season because they lose des Ritter, because it lose Jerome fort right, there's just a loot to replace there. And especially when you've got a week one game against team Mike Arkansas, which we know is going to be loaded. That's a problem. That's a problem that looks like a big fat l to me. On top of that, what goes on on defense is actually a little bit more troubling. So not only are you losing what could be a first round talent and des Ridder, you're also losing Sauce Gardner.
Speaker 3: Did you see, by the way, Bruce Feldman what he talked about, uh with Sauce Gardner and his opposing coaches evaluate draft prospects. He said, and I quote this is an opposing coach about Sauce Gardner. We just decided to put some slaptick receiver on that side of the field because we knew we weren't even gonna go near him, so we just threw that side of the field away offensively. It's a pretty great compliment. It's a great compliment. It really is a great compliment. And one of the things that made Sauce Gardeners so unique is his size. Sis a bigger cornerback, He's like six'. Three you just don't.
Speaker 1: Have that kind of flexibility generally if you're bigger, bodied and his ability to move like that at the cornerback spot is gonna make him a commodity on draft. Day it just. Is and certainly in the college game he was as the coach, eluded you could throw to him really. Good so not only do you Lose Sauce, gardener but you also Lose Kobe bryant in the. Secondary, now for their, part there were guys that stepped. Up Ur Kwan BUSH i, believe a senior stepped up IN i think impressive enough capacity in the spring game On Sauce gardener's side of the, Field Kobe bryant's side of the. Field Justin, harris a younger, Guy Todd, bumfiss also stepped. Up so it seems as if they have, guys and we know That Luke fickle has done a lot to build depth In, cincinnati so it's not like the cupboard is curably. Bare but to have those two guys walk out the door, too again a pair of All americans in the defensive backfield to walk out the, door there's going to be a bit of a learning. Curve and then on top of, it you've Got sanders walking out the door along your defensive. Line the pass rush is going to suffer a little. Bit mm. Hmm it's just going to suffer a little. Bit SO i think with all that being, said the takeaway on The cincinnati side was that the defense actually played pretty well in the spring, game for whatever that's. Worth, right looked, okay seemed. PROMISING i think there's room to, grow certainly with some of these new offensive, players be it at tight, end skill positions or. Otherwise quarterback's going to remain blurry until we actually see the live bullets. Flying thank, you thank. You and the only real takeaway outside of all of those really blurry things is that they've got a transfer kicker Named Ryan coe From delaware who is six three to two twenty and hit a forty eight yardfield. Goal hey that's. Good six, three two, Twenty so he's Like Sauce gardener sized at.
Speaker 3: Kicker, yeah and he looked.
Speaker 1: Ok keckle And Luke fickel had some nice things to say about him about the tough positions he could find himself. In it's good to have a guy like that at the kicker. Spot but you, know as with all Things spring, games it's tough to really gauge because it's inner squad. Scrimmage but the, questions at least in The cincinnati, SIDE i don't know if we're any closer to answering, them but at least we started to get the first part of that answer, through you, know early part of.
Speaker 3: Spring here the good news For cincinnati and this is not a part of. Spring what sort of a part of? Spring is the full list of teams in The american who appear to be kind of scary in twenty twenty. Two there it. Is there's the. List there's the full, list the full of teams that are threatening at this, point obviously threatening to Supplant cincinnati atop The. American so, yes you can obviously lose To houston and lose the, conference But cincinnati is recruited and has coached in such a way where they're in a good. Spot lost their offensive, coordinator, Right Mike denbrock TO. Lsu but, Yeah Evan prater well, REGARDED i think four star kid coming out of high, school big tall, guy so hopefully the falloff is minimal on.
Speaker 1: Offense give, me give me like three and a half four minutes on The arizona. Schools that's it and a.
Speaker 3: HALF i want to go deep on TO tyroa, McMillan probably like the best receiver on a likely terrible.
Speaker 1: Team, well you said you watched the HIGHLIGHTS i did from THE asu game and it weren't. Great, Yeah, like just give me the rundown on the stage BECAUSE i care about The Territorial, cup.
Speaker 3: Dude arizona is so much more interesting Than Arizona. State SO asu is in a tough. Place they started a walk on at quarterback in This they had a transfer From, Alabama Paul, tyson Who's Bear BRYAN'S i think. Grandson but they started a walk on who was, fine he's local To. Arizona the strength of This Arizona state team is likely to be upfront on. Defense they man handled the offensive, line And i'm not really you, know quick to say, like, oh this is like the clear strength of the. Team when teams are split, up, right like you can look at, like, oh the offensive line is going to. Struggle they're all beat up and you, know the starting unit was not, together so it's hard to really gauge on, that but both sides of the offensive lines really really looked bad and just allowed dudes into the backfield. Constantly SO i think the strength will probably be The Sun devil's upfront on. Defense some of the skill talent on offense is still pretty. INTERESTING i think can still play to a reasonably HIGH pac twelve. Level the problem to me is if you have enormous question marks at well depth everywhere quarterback and offensive, line it almost doesn't. Matter they were a sensational rushing team last year with those two dudes led By Rashad white now onto THE, nfl and they don't have the line to be. That they don't have the quarterback to take advantage of. That With Jayden daniels. Leaving there's interesting younger guys on the, defense BUT i just think they're too thin and to one note to really make any sort of quantifiable noise in the conference at this. Point and, look they've since twenty, fifteen they've been a five hundred ish team with more, talent with a deeper, roster and now things are falling, apart and SO i don't feel great.
Speaker 1: Here here's one of the things that jumps off the page at. You all, right, YEAH i didn't do the deep dive OF, asu but we've been following what's going on with that. Program how it feels like to some, extent it's coming apart at the. Scenes, right. Yep are you familiar with the website our lads dot? Com of, course of. Course. Yeah it's a go to resource for anybody who covers college, football anybody who care about college, football because they do all the depth charts, months, weeks sometimes years in. Advance, okay it's just what they. Do it's not always, accurate but it's close. Enough it gives you a. Gauge they've got on THE asu page a color, code as they do all roster. Pages it says purple is for top rated underclassmen or green is FOR i don't, know agreed, ME i can't even read this, thing.
Speaker 3: But, okay they've got one here for.
Speaker 1: Gold. Yeah if you see the text is in gold means it's a new, addition a graduate transfer or a. Freshman THE asu, Offense dan just the offense has, one, two, three, four, five six players in. Gold all, right to your point of not having great depth to your point of there being roster, turnover to the point in general OF asu feeling like it's bottoming. Out there is a lot of new new talent on this offense. Alone and so as we talked With Nate tice on our show a week ago About Rashad white and perhaps what he could bring to AN nfl roster and how we know he helped carry THAT asu offense to an extent last. Year With Jade daniels walking out the, door there are just so many new, faces not even guys who are with the, program guys who are brand new to the. Program i'm not gonna say that it's never happened before where new faces don't step in and have an immediate. Impact but this many on one team making the first team does not seem like a great formula for.
Speaker 3: Success, no it's a bit of a misery cocktail coming together In. TEMPE i, mean you have a late quarterback transfer In jade And daniels ending up AT. Lsu you have two new coordinators assistants dropping like. Flies you, know implicated in THE ncaa accusations about recruiting improprieties during twenty and you know a good amount of roster turnover twelve transfers out ten, in so they were aggressive at least in the. Portal but, MAN i just it's hard to it's hard to see things coming together to the point of going seven and, five eight and, four which is WHERE asu should.
Speaker 1: Be at minimum most.
Speaker 3: Years, NO i agree Other arizona school speaking of, transfers nineteen transfers, out which doesn't feel like an alarm as much as A this might not be the program for, You Kevin sumlin recruit situation In, tucson but there appears to be a lot of energy and a lot of juice In. Tucson not a ton of, talent but improving as As jedfish recruited especially well this, year both via the portal and you know by a high school recruiting and signing day THAT i. Mentioned the headline, RECRUIT i think he's the Biggest arizona recruit in the history of the, PROGRAM a top flight receiver from Southern california who's committed To oregon for a long time, time but When Mario christabaal, left he opened up his recruitment To. Toroa ted tyroa TE tyroa, McMillan i'll get that right known AS, tmac but they also bring In Jacob, cowing a top flight receiver FROM. Utep smaller receiver but really really. Productive it's looking like it's going to Be Jaden, dolaura who's the other big name transfer who comes in From Washington state at that starting quarterback. JOB i still have a number of QUESTIONS i guess it appears to be blurry for the parlance of this, episode about what the offensive line looks, like WHAT i guess the back half of that defense looks like at linebacker and, secondary and just what this system looks like on offense with a pretty disasters showing in twenty twenty. One defensively is where they were. Strong Don brown moves on, back goes goes back to UMass and So Johnny nansen takes over the. DEFENSE i think the talent level will be raised In. Tucson it seems like there's a vacuum in the state Of arizona right now with WHERE asu. Is but there just needs to be more bold type players on this. Roster we'll see they they you, know they hit USC u c L, A michigan with some four star high school. Uh their transfers from those schools that Were Blue chippers coming out of high. School Hunter echols is a big name coming off the edge For. Arizona so slowly but. Surely and by the, way they gave away water guns to the crowd to just make it a big water party of a spring, game and there were like former players on the, sidelines spring fans like it. Was the intention was that it would be a great. Time Teddy Bruce ski's on the you, know they're just they're they're they're attempting to squeeze as much juice out of The arizona football brand as.
Speaker 1: POSSIBLE i like.
Speaker 3: It they'll probably go four in, eight but but that's better than one and. Eleven, yeah you'll take four in, eight, Right, yeah of course four and eight gets you on a show Next.
Speaker 1: April.
Speaker 3: Correct all, Right so there's your there's Your Arizona. Schools by the, way they have a freshman tie who if he ever, starts will be your new favorite. Player oh he's like five to three and he plays plays. Quarterback name Is Noah fafida and through a touchdown like he's got a good arm and he can. Move but he is a small, Dude so we'll say so There Arizona schools where do you want to go?
Speaker 1: Next, well you tell, Me i've Got, Auburn i've Got. NEBRASKA i mean we're gonna Talk, TEXAS a AND m a little bit. Later what which of those two? SCHOOLS i guess Between auburn And.
Speaker 3: Nebraska oh my, god, okay give me the dysfunctional. One, now hold, On i'm not clear. Enough uh give me the one with coaching.
Speaker 1: Uncertainty, Nope, NO i can't do that good. Enough, again need more. Specific let's go To.
Speaker 3: Nebraska i'm gonna try to be nicer About. NEBRASKA i was told in our board meeting that that is something need to improve.
Speaker 1: On so let's. Go let's Go huskers. Here, well, look this is going to be a very short. Snapshot oh, okay here is WHAT i hate about these spring. Games everybody tries to outdo one another by coming up with a goofy Kakamemi byzantine scoring. System, yeah in this, case it's one that favored the defense to the extent where you couldn't really tell how good the offense. Was, now there are scoring systems that are, bad and then there's this one which was in. Effect and everyone's played in a fantasy football league like this where the person running the league gets a little overzealous about defensive stats and what they're worth in your fantasy. League this is one of those circumstances WHERE i don't know if It's Scott, FROST i don't players d like Maybe Trev albert's got involved with. THIS i don't know who is responsible for, this but they got a little nuts with defensive. Stats it's truly like the scoring system in the fantasy league where THE i don't, know The bills get sixty points a. Week that's what happened. Here that's what happened. Here so our takeaways are. This our takeaways ARE. A nobody really got. Hurt, mark he's step hobbled off at one. POINT i think he's. Okay Maybe i'm. RIGHT i hope that's. GOOD i Hope i'm not wrong about. That but, yeah they emerged, unscathed let's, say, physically and, also the defensive line looked really.
Speaker 3: GOOD i would say they should be good on the. Edge once, again.
Speaker 1: The defensive line LOOKED i, think really solid and really, good and that was sort of a carryover from what we saw last. Season right we, NOTED i think rightfully that the offense had issues and they're still trying to piece this thing together And Adrian martinez maybe not the, answer and blah blah blah blah. Blah but defensively they looked. Okay, defensively they they were able to keep themselves in games because that side the ball actually was. Better so takeaway in this game is that the defensive line actually looked pretty. Good what is, blurry, though is pretty much so you keep catching me off, guard AND i love. IT i, KNOW i know that's the. Point What's blurry's pretty much everything? Else, okay everything else is. Blurry they played like ten quarterbacks in this. Game Case, thompson your presume, Starter Casey, thompson The texas. Transfer he was in for three, drives he went, through went for two punts and a field.
Speaker 3: Goal, okay all, right but, Well scott chances did chub A party get in?
Speaker 1: There they got in, there. Everybody i'm Surprised scott for us didn't get in. There, Yeah logan's smothers got seven. Drives Chub A party got three. Drives that was just in the first. HALF a whole bunch of other guys got time in the second half as. Well, Yeah so that position, GROUP i think in particular is we didn't get a whole lot out of. It by the, way we just. Didn't we. Didn't you, know we don't really know much about. It logan's smothers had some, issues like we just didn't see, enough and because of the weird scoring, system we don't know enough to really gauge how anybody. Did but What i'll say is, this we are going to train our spotlight first and foremost on that quarterback, spot if only BECAUSE i think that has held them back the last couple of. Years everyone Likes Adrian. Martinez everyone, says, oh it's a, great great, kid, Right we're gonna root for him At Case. State, yeah BUT i think all of the quarterbacks at this stage now are more talented passers Than Adrian. Martinez and so this will be the ultimate tell for Where Scott frost is. At if he truly is this offensive mastermind that we thought he could be in his time at other, stops NOTABLY, Ucf he's gonna need to find a way to turn presume Starter Casey thompson into that quarterback who could throw the ball downfield and actually get a little bit more out of this. Offense, again we didn't really like we don't. Know this is one of those spring games WHERE i DON'T i WISH i had more for. You, Right but nobody got. Hurt the story system was. Weird anybody who has ever played quarterback ever got a chance to get some reps in this.
Speaker 3: Game, Yeah Tanner, lee fresh off of His Manning Passing academy, performance probably showed out a little, bit.
Speaker 4: Right, Everybody so everybody got. Action, yeah, OKAY i WISH i had more for. You, OKAY i was reading Every nebraska. Website nobody knows. Anything it was just, like, hey nobody got. Hurt, cool here we are all?
Speaker 1: Right do you want to? Would where do you want me to? Go your?
Speaker 3: Choice do you want me to go acc With clemson Or Florida? STATE i want to stick With. Auburn, oh please continue on With.
Speaker 1: Auburn then it's been an interesting season off, SEASON i should, say so far for The Auburn. Tigers what with The Brian harrison's? Stuff mm hmm is it a? Scandal is it a? Brew? Ha?
Speaker 2: Ha what old?
Speaker 1: WAR i don't, know war of, words he, said she, said. KERFUFFLE i don't know what the terminology. Is attempted, coup attempted Coup, okay pretty, good. RIGHT i don't know what the right classification is for whatever the hell went on At auburn With Brian. Harson but he's still. There, yeah he's still. There. Now the issue is this a lot of players. Aren't, yes they had a lot they like twenty. TRANSFERS i don't know what the final number ended up. Being it's a lot of. GUYS a lot of guys left The auburn. Program they brought some guys, into but that maybe was the first tell that things were kind of going sideways for a. While it Was Tank bigsby who was also going to leave the. Program the best recruiting job it's been said That Brian harson did all off season was Keeping Tank bigsby At. Auburn, yeah And Tank bigsby looked sharp in this. Game he. Did he played more of a role in the passing. Game they Asked Brian harson after the, fact like some of the reporters on the, beat, like is this going to be a? Thing are we going to see more Of Tank bigsby in the passing? Game he sort of he threw cold water on. It but conventional wisdom would hold that if you've got your best, player In Tank, bigsby and if he is open in the passing, game you'll find a way to get in the. Ball they should find a way to get him the ball as much as. Possible SO i don't know if that's going to be part of the. Plan they've got a new offensive, coordinator but it should be part of the plan if it's not, already because It's tank Bigs he's really freaking, good of, course so he looked. Good THAT i think is as big time positive the passing game as a. Whole So Zach calzada still recovering from his shoulder. Injury he was the big transfer IN i think he is the presumed. Starter but we didn't get to see any Of calzada in this. Game we did get to see more OF.
Speaker 3: Tj, finley, right who did start and nearly Beat alabama to whatever whatever that, means given the weirdness of that game is something could have Beat bama on one leg if they went for two and didn't likely, True.
Speaker 1: But, YEAH. Tj findley looked more. Comfortable good look more. Comfortable they had him more out of the, pocket they did more in the rollout passing. Game, good which as anyone who has Followed auburn with a much, better much, more much higher degree of granularity than, you AND i will note that that's just not something they did last. Year last year it was Bow nixt dropped. Back if a guy's, open, Great if, not, siya he's pulling a picket and he's gonna run one and. Done, yeah the rollout pass the game isn't all that, Inventive, dan but he'll take it. Right. Yeah, now what remains to be seen is How Zach calzada will eventually function in this. Offense that that's what remains. Blurry obviously he didn't get any. Snaps so to what end is he going to fit in and look the part and be worth all the? HUBBUB i don't you. Know we don't. Know we just.
Speaker 3: Don't is he considered like In auburn, circles like the assumed starter that he that's a role that is being warmed for?
Speaker 1: Him, okay SO i think. So and again you know WHERE i stand On. Calzata, Yeah i'm not totally convinced that he's gonna better than what they had, before or even an.
Speaker 3: UPGRADE i THINK i think the best of Bow nicks was more consistently uh, uh confidence inspiring than any LIKE i. Know, Look Zack calzada made huge throws to help to Beat. ALABAMA i get, that but the you, know the best three or four games Of Bo nicks was definitely better than the best three or four games Of zach Cals odda to Make.
Speaker 1: Zach calzada's win Over alabama is doing a lot of heavy. Lifting, yes of course a lot as. Well it should mm, hmm but tread lightly on that. One don't don't put too many eggs in That zach kelzatda basket. Anyway that's either here nor. There we didn't see. Him the OFFENSE i think showed some flashes and folks were excited about, that certainly with tank bigsby your Boy Robbie. Ashford, Dan, yeah he showed out The oregon Transfer Robbie. Ashford he you, KNOW i don't think he's gonna really be in the mix Between calzada AND. Tj, Finley BUT i think he's From, alabama, right he. Is he's.
Speaker 3: Local it was a two sports. Star is is especially, athletic perhaps in ways that the two of those guys are. Not here's the, thing, Though, TY i didn't watch The auburn spring. GAME i didn't read up on The auburn spring, game so forgive my authority that has nothing behind. It but if you're a promising, quarterback WHICH i Think Robbie ashford is, promising not, proven what's ahead of him At auburn is not all that. Secure like if you are simply enticing athletically in a playmaker and you HAVE. Tj finley And Zach calzada in front of, YOU i don't think it's insane to think Maybe Robbie ashford is the guy twelve.
Speaker 1: Sixteen passing one hundred and thirty two. Yards he showed some of that athleticism that you allude, to and he's got a kin for an, arm got good. ARM i don't. Know stranger things have, happened, man.
Speaker 3: BUT i guess the same could be said of wasn't good enough to beat Out Anthony brown last herefore, again AND i don't think he was good enough to beat out number two or number three behind, It Anthony. Brown so there's that as.
Speaker 1: Well the other thing that's very blurry on The auburn side is, defense especially up. Front, yeah especially. Upfront so there's not only a new offensive, coordinator there is a new defensive. Coordinator Jef schmedding was the linebackers coach For auburn last, season was the defensive coordinator For Brian harson in his time At Boise. State he's got his work cut out for. HIM i don't know how else to put. It there is an issue with depth, upfront and as we know from doing this for a good long, time if you've got depth issues up front in THE sec on, defense that's a. Problem, yeah that's a. Problem SO i could go about a thousand different ways With auburn this coming. Season, again it's a spring. Game there's only so much that we could really glean from. This but the fact that some of those depth issues and some of those production concerns on that defensive, line we're already showing a little. BIT i don't envy that defensive job That auburn's got in front of it this coming. Season may they'll proved me, wrong but, YEAH i, mean there was there was a. Reason Nate tice last week on our show talked about how What Derek mason was able to do with not necessarily frontline talent was especially creative and interesting in the way he attacked certain. Offenses Derek mason of, course now on To Oklahoma. STATE i believe for a pay.
Speaker 3: Cut, no there was just not maybe necessarily a behind the scenes, fit is what it sounds. Like so, yeah you, know three defensive coordinators in three years not ideal for continuity and growth in a.
Speaker 1: Scheme all, right let's go To let's go To Florida state And. CLEMSON i believe we Have Florida state And, clemson so two teams THAT i THINK i might be more interested in this season than at any point in, gosh maybe the last five, Years, dan maybe the last five. Years because here's. Why here's, why before you jump, in show your. Work clemson went ten and two last or ten and three whatever it was last, year ten to, two whatever their final record, was it won double digits and they ten, THREE i believe ten to. Three they pulled it, TOGETHER i think, admirably so mm. Hmm but there were real questions about that, team Especially djus. Quarterback they had a litany of injuries that they had to deal with all year, long which didn't. Help there was a lot of turnover from the year, before so they were dealing with a bunch of, stuff and now on top of, it the coaching staff, thing the athletic department. Thing this is very much a reboot on a number of different levels For Dabos. Swiney how will he handle that he hasn't had to deal with that. Previously that's the first, thing and that's the one thing For clemson That i'm very interested. In on The Florida state, SIDE i can't figure out what to make of The Mike norvellira so. FAR i, like just when it feels like the thing is, dead as it felt early in the, season they kind of turn it around and they get to the precipice of qualifying for A. BOWL i never thought That Jordan travis would be the answer at, quarterback but of the guys that they, had he seemed to be the one with the most Promised so there's like, REASON i think to feel like this team fights hard for. Him but at the same, time there are plenty of reasons to have him on the hot. Seat and this is a pivotal year if you're A Florida state, fan if you're watching Close Mike, Norvelleira.
Speaker 3: Yeah there's a lot that's quite interesting About Florida state on both sides of the. Ball, Obviously Jordan travis returns and assumingly we'll take the next step and succeeding a little bit more. Downfield obviously he is a playmaker and a dual. Threat they're in good. Shape the running back room looks to be in decent. Shape offensive line is it keeps taking steps. Forward it's not the deepest offensive. Line it's not the offensive line filled with the most star power of the teams that we're going to talk about in these spring snap. Shots but from where it was a year, ago two years, ago three years, ago which was just a downright and abject, mess it's not that. Anymore it's. Okay so if there's continued improvement. There there's experience in the receiver. ROOM i don't know if there is top level star power in the receiving. Room but on, DEFENSE i, mean defense is going to probably lead this. Team they've recruited especially well on. Defense there's a lot of talent on that defensive. Backfield it's gonna be a question of doing the little things of you, know seeing which recruits are the ones that are able to step up and the acc is not a murderer's row at this. Point but they had a couple of interesting transfers actually From, oregon. Right Micah pittman comes in was a contributing part of the a good receiving cour At. Oregon he comes in with a lot of experience both at receiver and in the return. Game Trey benson looks like he's gonna have a pretty big impact in that running back. Room big running back that should be able to take some of the pressure off Of Jordan. Travis but there's there's good options at running back as. Well and so For Florida state at this, point they hit the portal extremely. Hard that was a big deal to plug gaps through the. Portal they brought in a pretty sizable edge rusher From. Albany, Tye what do you know About albany? Football Jared? Verse Jared. Verse, yes so they bring In Jared verse From, albany so trying to get after the quarterback a little bit more Via Jared. Verse, YEAH i think it's once, AGAIN i, mean broken. Record but if the offensive line is simply not talked, about that's a huge.
Speaker 1: WIN i feel like we've been talking about The Florida state offensive line like it's the one Hundred Years. War it just never, ends and that's kind to be so frustrating if you're A Florida state, fan if you're on the, team.
Speaker 3: They're definitely a ball team If Jordan travis is upright and, Look Alex atkins steps in For Kenny. Dillingham SO i guess talking About oregon even more moves Onto oregon to call plays and run that offense for The. Ducks Randy shannon is now co defensive coordinator With Adam, fuller so a lot of familiarity there with The state and the recruiting, trail AND i Expect Florida state to continue to be a player in the portal post spring as, well because they are looking to infuse this roster with as much experienced talent as as humanly possible in a pretty open acc all things considered right, now because pitt is not going to be where they were last year Without Mark whipple And Kenny. Pickett SO i don't know we can get Into clemson. Now But Florida, STATE i think is in a decent place trajectory. WISE i Like Florida.
Speaker 1: STATE i liked them last. YEAR i don't recall IF i liked them to get to a bowl. GAME i feel like it was still a little bit too. SOON i feel like at the TIME i did the preview year, AGO i was saying twenty twenty, two twenty twenty two would be the. Year it would be the. Year SO i don't, know we'll, See but given the way that they overcame the early part of their season and actually ended up playing a feisty brand of football down the, STRETCH i think that that bodes well for the coaching, staff Right, Yeah AND i know for whoever's.
Speaker 3: In, Charge Alex atkins is especially well liked within that. Program as he assends, TOO i mean STILL i think running the offensive, line but offensive, coordinator AND i always just have a soft spot for when offensive coordinators have a line background about lines being especially improving and taught. Well and so hopefully that's the case With atkins In Florida, state BECAUSE i would love to not talk about The Florida state.
Speaker 1: Ohensive line this. Year, yeah it'd be. Wonderful tell me About. Clemson what's going on?
Speaker 3: With speaking of hoping to not talk about an offensive, Line so unfair to talk about the offensive line as a major issue from this spring, game even though the defensive lines in this game completely dominated because both starting tackles were out in this. One but you, know if you polled one Hundred clemson fans about where they have fallen, behind offensive line is still in that. Conversation the offensive line For, clemson once a, strength once a point of, pride was dominated far more often last year than they had been in years past and was an issue opening things up for the, offense opening up lanes in the run game and Protecting. Dju it's a work in. Progress this offense is a work in. Progress, obviously losing both Coordinators Todd bates was a huge loss on. Defense as an, assistant he goes over To oklahoma With Brent venables and so a lot of change At. Clemson they lose ten guys to, transfer bringing in but one transfer in In Hunter, johnson who was already there and didn't make a huge market quarterback At, northwestern of, course and So dju loses a bunch of, weight which is one of my favorite. Things you, know as far as offseason stories. GO i don't know how losing weight helps in the passing, game but if it's something that was part of him becoming more fundamentally sound and really locking in to do a better, Job i'm all for.
Speaker 1: It i'm all for.
Speaker 3: It still had some accuracy issues still with sailing balls at times did connect a little. Bit, YEAH i don't think the receiving room is as TANTALIZING i would say as The clemson receiving room has been these past ten. Years but only Guys Joe, nagata guys like, that you, know have have had promise for quite some, time but are yet to fully fully come through dealing with a lot of injuries on both sides of the. Ball you, KNOW i think the, secondary especially the youth of the, secondary will be very interesting come. Fall you, know they were dealing with injuries there as. Well Will shipley was. Out so there's not a lot of. Absolutes there is a lot that's very blurry so about This clemson.
Speaker 1: Program but.
Speaker 3: If dju is not the Guy caid Club nick has the makings, of AND i you you already have started this. Train you have started accepting. Tickets you are loading passengers for The clemson Cad. Club nick trains is the club club is this club club, club, well the club, lounge the club. Level there's also the things we can.
Speaker 1: Do, yeah, yeah we're gonna have to spin something up and workshop that by the TIME cag.
Speaker 3: Club, Yeah i'm not there yet BECAUSE i hate throwing the weight of expectations on a true freshman at quarterback at a place with the kind of expectations That clemson.
Speaker 1: Rate of your college football, PODCAST i know that's what we.
Speaker 3: Hate IT'S, dna come, ON i, know And clemson, fans you, know in their defense what they've seen from true freshman this past. Decade why wouldn't you? Sure but you, Know i'd like to see to see more from him a little bit in live action Before i'm, like, oh this is obvious that he's the, DUDE, dj you need to get better he you, know in terms of decision. MAKING i know his footwork looks a little bit. STRONGER i watched that you know, whatever it's called The orange And white.
Speaker 1: Game But i'm not there with. HIM i step on into the club, level my, FRIEND i, know, clubs, suite step on in, yeah.
Speaker 3: And then essentially we become a club, sandwich will become the two sides Of, Okay i'm not going down that. ROAD i just immediately regret. It, SURE i THINK, dj you can be. FINE i you, know the confidence and assertiveness in the past. GAME i don't know if that can be you, know locked in on after two or three. Years if it's not. There that's my concern for him that by NOW i feel LIKE i want More and that's not a great.
Speaker 1: Sign but it's.
Speaker 3: Spring it's spring once, again and dealing with the, injuries dealing with playing not behind the real offensive. Line he'll be playing with you know this promise at, receiver promise at tight, end, depth running.
Speaker 1: Back we'll.
Speaker 3: SEE i JUST i wanted a little. MORE i wanted A sunday AND i got a half a?
Speaker 1: Scoop how about?
Speaker 3: That so, YEAH i mean they're gonna be bonkers up front on. Defense, Ty they're just gonna be absolutely. Berserk and that's honestly good enough for a lot of wins in THE acc right now in college. Unmatched yeah, there it's just going to be just. Insane so that's great for. Them but, yeah little to you, know starting over at coordinator and having quarterback questions is not a wonderful. Cocktail but you, know Some clemson fans happy to See Tony elliott move. On they had grown a little bit wary of where The clemson offense had fallen.
Speaker 1: To we'll, say we'll, see why don't we Talk TEXAS a AND. M i would love to here to help us dissect all Things TEXAS a AND, m at least as we know. It here in early to Mid, april from the athletic Mister Sam Khn, Junior, sir how are you?
Speaker 2: Good how are you? Guys?
Speaker 1: Wonderful we're doing. Well so we had every intention of talking to you solely about The TEXAS a AND M spring, Game but AS i understand, it you did have an. Opportunity you came from an, interview quite, literally an interview with Coach Jimbo. Fisher how did that?
Speaker 2: Go just like Every Jimbo fisher interview, goes which, is you ask a question and then he goes off for a couple of minutes and talks at a rapid speed with a lot of. Information it may be a mix of last names of guys And jersey numbers of, guys and then a little tangent in the middle here That i'm going to chase down the rabbit, Hole but OTHERWISE i end up eventually answering the. Question so, uh very. Productive like LIKE i was saying, earlier twenty five minutes with him is like.
Speaker 1: An hour or so with just about anybody. Else just because of the speed of which he. Speaks it's listening to a podcast at TWO x that's, right, oh without, question without. Question, No i'm a one point five. Guy but is that?
Speaker 4: True?
Speaker 2: Yeah so IF i had, to IF i had to listen To, JIMBO i Think i'd have to sol down a normal.
Speaker 3: Speed, ty can we speak faster For sam to make him more? Comfortable CAN i, say, Like, Okay, sam tease out what you're going to talk about when you talk About? Jimbo when you talk About? Jimbo is it going to be a? Podcast is it going to be A, okay what can you tease out what it is you're going to do with the information that you've. Learned is it going to be? Podcast is it going to be a? Feature is it going to be a transcribed? Interview like let the people know that they should be subscribing To The.
Speaker 2: Athletic, sure, absolutely, yes that definitely subscribe to The athletic because we, got in my, opinion the best college football written coverage in the. Country but nice we we we start Our state of The pro series that we do every, year the deep dive on every team in The power five and several of the top group of five teams that starts later this. Month april twenty fifth is the first, day and we kick it off With TEXAS a AND. M so, yeah so they just finished spring ball about five days ago and six days, ago AND i visited With jimbo post spring and so they are our first one out of the. Shoot so we got that wrapped up And i'll spend the next few days putting this, together turn it in next, week and then we'll run it out On april twenty, Fifth so we'll start our and we'll have one every day running From april twenty, fifth or at least every. WEEKDAY i THINK i should every. DAY i don't think it's JUST i think every day From april twenty fifth all the way THROUGH i believe it is early Mid july up until media days. Basically so it is a lot of work and there's a lot of effort to put those together because we're going we go really, deep we go position by, position, recruiting coaching, changes the whole. Bit but the fans seem to like, them and, honestly for us and for me, personally it's tremendous preseason prep because every one of these THAT i do on a TEAM i feel LIKE i know that team up and down the roster.
Speaker 3: Definitely, Okay so let let's start. There after spring. Practice we just had THE a AND m spring. Game what is the general feeling inside the football offices about where this team. STANDS i, mean we can go position by, position but generally, speaking what are the big questions that the coaches have and where are THE i guess the comforts that the coaches.
Speaker 1: Have, yeah a few.
Speaker 2: SPOTS i guess where your most, comfortable believe it or. NOT i think you're probably most comfortable in defensive. Line, okay because, yes they graduated all these great guys To Marvin, Leal jaden Peve Tyree. Johnson all these guys were super super productive last. Year but you guys know where they just, signed which they signed eight elite defensive linemen in this in this. Class but they also have been signing high level defensive lineman the last two three. Years and so you've got a guy Like Fidel diggs who lashed really well in the spring. Game and then you've got A Shamar turner who was a five star in the previous, class who can play both of its tackle defensive. End so you have numbers there that's that's the. Spot you feel really good, Cornerback you feel really really good running. Back you have one of the fastest guys in the, Country devon A, chain who is a national qualifier in the hundred meter. Dash you feel good about. That you feel good about the, option you have a. Receiver but, overall in the big picture of this, program the bottom line, is AND i asked us to jimbo, is do you feel like you have enough talent at this point in the building and the culture is where you want that buzzword culture that coaches always. Use are you at a place now where you can't annually contend for AN sec, TITLE Sec west title And College football? Playoff and he, said, yeah that is that is the. Goal and we do feel like from a talent, standpoint the roster is. There he's got the infrastructure in the building the way he wants, It things are running the way he wants, it and so they are now a.
Speaker 1: Team.
Speaker 2: NOW i look at the schedule AND i think it's a tough. Schedule SO i don't know if this is the year to peg them AS Sec west champions or playoff. CONTENDER i think me, PERSONALLY i think it's a twenty three for them IS i think more of the. Year but you look at the talent that they have on hand the last four classes they've. Signed he's this now his fifth season that he's. Entering this is a program that is moving in that direction to probably soon join the college football, elite just because just by your, talent to, me they're compiling enough talent to where they're gonna have to be in that conversation.
Speaker 3: Soon they're an interesting team and an interesting program because it's almost impossible to describe any position group or any important situation within the team without. Yeah But, yeah they're, talented but they haven't done.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: Yeah Max johnson has won big, games but he's also looked shaky at. Times, Yeah Haines king won the, job but he hasn't. Played, yeah you, Know Connor wegman is all, everything but he's a. Freshman where are the biggest yeah butts at this, point as you now are, saying twenty twenty three is the, year but we're talking about the twenty twenty two. Season what are the question marks and how likely are they to be answered with any sort of speed early on in the. Season i'll love the way you put that BECAUSE i THINK i think twenty twenty two is a, yeah but year, yeah, essentially that is what this is BECAUSE i think they'll be a little bit better than they were a year, ago BUT i don't see them as a playoff. Team quarterback is a, spot that's a. Yeah but they're better than they were at quarterback a year ago because the. DEPTH i, mean they had two scholarship guys and one of them broke his leg in the second game of the.
Speaker 2: Year so right now you have three With Max johnson who has bona fide sec, starts which they had nobody in the room that had. That last. Year you Got king who won the starting, job and you Got Connor wagman who's a true freshman five star. Recruit but it's going to take, time and we know how jimbo, is we know how it takes time for quarterbacks that did just that, offense and it takes time for them to master. It so that's a. Yeah BUT i think they feel good at running. Back BUT i still WOULD i still am yeah butt on the depth there because the, guys you, Know Isaiah, SPILLER i feel like was an underappreciated guy. Nationally he was a reliable thousand yard guy every year for. Them he's not there. Anymore DEVON i THINK i have no problem thinking that he can carry the, Load but it's who's the next guy after? That Is Anayah smith going to be that guy that goes back and get some more carries because he's been a receiver really the last. Year is he going to be a factor in the backfield these? Receivers you Got smith the, yeah but is, okay who do you have on the outside to be a vertical threat to beat you down the? Field they haven't really had. That Demon demas was supposed to be that. Guy he's not on the team. Anymore Is Evan stewart the five star? Recruit that guy is some of these other freshmen that they're bringing. In are those possibilities the left side of the offensive, line that's a, Yeah but because you graduated your left, tackle you graduated your left. Guard you, Know Kenyon, Green Jamior johnson no longer, there so you've got to fill those two. SPOTS i think the rest of that line you, feel, okay you're, graduating sorry not, graduating but your tight ends going to the. Draft Jalen, widermeyer that's another. One you've got to answer that. Question is it going to Be Jake johnson the, Freshman is it going to be one of these other veterans that's been. Around are those guys dynamic enough to be What widermeyer? Was and then the other spot on, DEFENSE i think you feel good about numbers on defense. Linebackers the one WHERE i feel like is a little bit of question in terms of Thin you've got really good numbers at defensive. Line you've got really good numbers in the defensive backfield, linebacker even though they really only play two for the most. Part that's the one where they DON'T i think have a stalwart right. Now they don't have A Buddy, johnson they don't Have Aaron hansford who was last. Year these are all mostly unproven. Guys guys who have, played but they're, unproven AND i don't know that the depth there is quite what they want it to.
Speaker 1: Be, sam let me go, back IF i could for a, second to the quarterback, spot because anything you read about The TEXAS a AND m spring, game it starts with the quarterback. Thing Max johnson comes, Over dan said. Earlier you know he's been up and. Down he certainly had his moments thirteen of thirty. One in this, game he had two, touchdowns one of which went To Evan, stewart five star talent that you mentioned. Earlier it seemed as if Generally Max johnson had pretty good control of the, offense had a long, run WHICH i think people were pretty excited. About but Beyond Max, johnson WHO i think is going to get a lot of the press going into the new, season you've got The Haines king. Thing you've got The Connor wegman. Thing Haines, king as he, said won the job at the start of last, year got, hurt played in this, game didn't look all that. Great still showed that propensity for turnovers in the spring, game which is something that plagued him in that the one game we saw against Ken state where he threw through three picks right and then on The Connor wegman side a, FRESHMAN i think everybody's very excited About Connor. WEGMAN a lot has yet to be known About Connor, wegman but one of the things THAT i KNOW i liked from WHAT i saw was the fact that he threw down, fields like six of his seven completions went for more than ten. Yards something like. That in, general this was an offense that in this spring game threw downfield a little bit, more which is something THAT i Know jimbo has tried to address. Here SO i guess with regard to the guys Behind Max, johnson presumably Behind Max, johnson what is the early feel about how that sort of depth shakes out on the quarterback.
Speaker 2: SIDE i, mean, certainly LIKE i, said a lot better than was a year, ago which is huge for them because they really weren't a tenuous spot where they were had to play a walk on at times last, year especially when When calzada had like he had the injury in The alabama game and then he had to come out for a play or what have, you and you, had like boast to walk on who's still there by the, way having to play snaps and had that bowl, GAME i would have been interested to see how the bowl game would have turned, out because you Know knes wasn't all the way back And klzada had. Transferred But, max like you, said we've seen what he can. Do it'll be interesting to see what he can do in this. Offense Haines, KING i think is the interesting one to me in the wild card in this because he won the job last. Year jimbo clearly loves. HIM i think he loves. Him he calls him a. Throwback and When jimbo gives you the throwback, LABEL i meaning like you're a nineteen seventies, player that means he loves you to. Death so he Loves, haines And, haines by all accounts says even from last, year dating back to last, offseason did a really good job in ingratiating himself with the. Team you, know winning stuff in winter workouts on a regular, basis developing a relationship not just with his his teammates offensively but defensively as. Well he's got all those. Characteristics and his physical gifts are. Great, obviously can throw it sub four five forty guy really really super. Fast the biggest, question which is one you, pose is. Turnovers can he take care of the, Ball and he did turn it over in the spring, game AND i think that is the big question with him is can he take care of the ball. Better obviously that one start that we saw against Ken, state there was a few. Turnovers some of them were drop, passes balls at batt and stuff like. That AND i will give all the quarterbacks a little bit of a caveat for the spring game because the wins were like thirty thirty five miles an, hour so it was a little bit tough to. Throw but the reason and you talk About wegman throwing, Downfield jimbo tried to force that issue even with the. Wins was, Like, hey we're gonna throw downfield because this is we want to do this this. Year, yeah and SO i think that's fun to talk about in. SPRING i would like to see it if it actually happens in the. Fall so you've Got, haynes WHO i think is a, true true duel, threat AND i think if he ends up being a, Guy i'm curious to see what they do. OFFENSIVELY i think you can open up the offense a little bit because of what he can do with his. Legs and Then. WEGMAN i Love wegman as a. Prospect one of the Best texas high Schoolquarterbacks i've. Seen the way he can make things happen when he, freelances when he gets out of the pocket is really really. Special you said mentioned him throwing down the ball down the. Field really. Impressive he's a baseball, player you, know he can he can really throw it to dual sports. STAR i love, him BUT i Just i'm not in a place WHERE i think he's a factor in this. Race BUT i and still it's going to take me seeing it to believe it that a true freshman can start In Jimbo fisher's. OFFENSE i just think it's asking a lot and some of the things THAT i saw From wegman in the spring game is off a little bit, here an inch, there a half a split second, there and those are things that after four or five more, months a full off, season another full off season the, program by this time next, YEAR i think you're going to see the jump that he makes in next. Spring BUT i don't think IT'S i don't think he's there, yet AND i would be really really surprised if he did win the.
Speaker 1: Job we Mentioned Evan stewart's dame a couple times now. Again the five star receiver caught a thirty two YARD i want to, say touchdown pass in the spring game From Max. Johnson all the Commentary i've seen is that he looked like a natural out, there which he would. Hope he's a five, star that sort of comes with the. Territory But TEXAS a and m of course made a lot of hay in this recruiting, cycle given the nature of the recruiting class that it's signed the best all time outside Of Evan, stewart of some of the guys that maybe stepped on the field had an opportunity to showcase their. Talents what are some takeaways that you, Had like of the names that we saw out, there who are some guys that might have a chance to make an impact?
Speaker 2: Early, YEAH i mean of the of the young offensive players you mean the young offensive recreer either Or sam either Or, YEAH i mean so of young guys THAT i think that stand out to me as instant impact. GUYS i Think Jake, johnson who intioned, earlier tied. End he was banged, up so you didn't see him in the spring, game but he seems to be like a guy that will probably play fairly, quickly SO i look at him as One Evan, Stewart like you, said he was OFFENSIVE mvp during spring ball for, them which for a true, freshman you got to give him. Credit i'm really curious he's not on campus, yet BUT i would like to See when we talked about that running back Dev Le'Veon moss the running back From. Louisiana that was a big get for. Them you, Know Maury daniels did well arrange. Cronovers the other guys did. Well But i'm curious to see What moss looks like when he gets on. Campus and then on, Defense Anthony, lucas who was the freshman defensive lineman defensive. END i just standing next to that, KID i was just, Like, wow he's an impressive athletic specimen six, five three, hundred really really moved well in the spring. Game and to, me SO i look at, him he was and he wasn't even one of the five star. LINEMAN i think he was a high four, star top fifty, guy which by the, way is still pretty. Good but THEN i think to, MYSELF i look At Anthony lucas And i'm, Like, okay all these other guys are coming in in the. Fall Walter nolan's coming in the. Fall Ei white's coming in the. Fall you've got a ton of big time other defensive linemen who are still not on campus. Yet the only two freshmen Are gabriel Brownlow dindi's the other who's been out because he was injured during An All star. Game so he's been out the, Spring BUT i look at those defensive, Linemen i'm thinking to, myself combined with the young ones that they bring, back the competition in that room is going to be really really something to. Watch the practices with, THOSE i think are going to be some of the fly on the wall for when you see some of these defensive linemen get in the. Building But lucas looks to me like an early contributor out of that. Class you, KNOW i was talking To jimbo. Today he really really Likes Cam, duberry the offensive lineman from A, taskasita as a guy who could potentially step in. EARLY i think it's LIKE i, said he's not on campus shed you got to see how he looks when he gets. There but definitely likes the measurables and the ability he has to play both guard and. Tackle So Smoke booey From, georgia that's another one that he really. Liked Bryce anderson From westbrook to the safety that he made some plays in the spring. Game safety type he. SHADOWS i Think Demani richardon said that he's shadow on him around a. Lot and So bryce is a GUY i think he probably contributes fairly. Early so there's a lot to. Say, LIGHTLY i think you're at least looking at a half a, dozen eight of eight guys in this, class, WELL i think at minimum that are going to contribute right.
Speaker 1: Away Incredible and whether on the too deep or.
Speaker 3: In some form or fashion on the, field did you get any, sense because, god it must have been rough to be AN a AND m fan last?
Speaker 1: Fall did you.
Speaker 3: Get a sense the way in WHICH a AND m lost last? Year right that the offense just is not at all in The arkansas game at. All they they give up a safety to lose The Mississippi state game as they're trying to drive the, Field devin H chain rushes for nine yards of carry and they stop giving him the. Ball in the old miss, game they're. UP i still need to be explained, that, yes same, Same YEAH lsu two.
Speaker 2: That happened IN. Lsu by the, way he had that drive in the third. Quarter, yeah where had he touched the ball like six? Times and then they scored a touchdown and then he did not touch the ball again.
Speaker 1: The rest of the.
Speaker 2: NIGHT i still need to be explained why that happened.
Speaker 3: Up up FOR i think with the opportunity to ice THAT lsu game with a couple of minutes left with a third and two and then give up the long drive to lose that. Game so is there introspection about situational play, calling the way the offense is. Organized it's easy to Say Zach calzatta was the quarterback and that ham strung our ability to do certain, things AND i think that's a totally fair. Viewpoint but is there any sort of introspection about how the offense is?
Speaker 2: HANDLED i sure hope, so, yeah for their sake because and this is the, question And jimbo got this question a lot after games last, year was why did you not run the ball more down the? Stretch and a lot of it was he defaulted took that he's calling a lot of RPOs and so that is leaving the decision on your quarterback to call. It and my thing is is and hopefully this is SOMETHING i can get into him a little bit as we get further closer to the, season is my thing, is why don't you just like line up in the pistol and just hand it, off turn around and hand it off to a chain forget? RPOs like there's sometimes where you just have To AND i Think jimbo's track record is a guy who really does believe in running the running the. Ball BUT i have noticed in some of these. Games you, know there was times Where Zach calesido was throwing the ball forty, times and that's it's not your best offensive, weapon, Right it just. Wasn't and so that is Something i'm curious to know how much of that evolves or. Changes AND i THINK i wonder also how much that goes back a little bit to the what we're talking about earlier With Ania. Smith how much is a Nice smith involved in this? Backfield do you go back to using him the Way San francisco forty nine ers used A Deebo samuel because they did that a couple of years ago With annias when he HAD i think forty carries and forty catches something or something or. Another so THAT i think if you get back to doing, that you can provide a little bit more balance in this in this. Offense but, yeah it's hard to say because the offensive staff is virtually the same. Everybody they have a new offensive line coach With Steve, dasio but everybody else is in. Place off the cornerator, Still Dearrel Dickey jimbo still the play. CALLER i went and listened To jimbo at a, clinic The Lone Star clinic down, here in conversation a couple months, ago AND i, mean he's intelligent, guy and you know he makes way more. Money he's a, Coach he's paid to do. This So I'm i'm not a play. Caller i'm not a, coach BUT i certainly would try to adjust IF i, could how Much i'm running the, ball especially when it's. WORKING i think that's the thing that's most. Frustrated it's not running the, ball it's getting away from it when it's. Working happened in The arkansas game, too And Isaiah spiller was, really really, good AND i don't think the last, quarter last eight minutes of the, GAME i don't think they ran the ball or at least not handed it to. Him and to, me that's something that's got to be. Fixed AND i think that's going to take some humility and some introspection On jimbo's part to fix this. Year my final, QUESTION i don't know what else you, Have, tie but we've touched on defensive. Players but there is a new defensive coordinator AND Dj. Durkin jimbo has been outspoken about we run a four to two five, here this is the defense we run. Here Mike elco did a very good job running the four two five that we wanted to. Run and NOW Dj diurkin comes in and he's going to run what we want to. Run what is what is expected ABOUT dj durkins unique tweaks or influence on What TEXAS a AND m is already toing on an extremely successful. Level what is expected this fall and beyond about THE Dj dirkins seasoning to this. Defense, yeah AND i Think jimbo was aggressive with the way he framed that because also this is the personnel they, have correct and so they've really deep on the defensive. Line they're really deep in the defensive backfield and not so deep at. Linebackers SO i think that fits what you have and that's what you've recruited. To But DJ's got AND i think he's softening a little bit on. It DJ's got a background in multiple fronts and has worked in multiple fronts over the, years has a pretty good. Reputation there has been In jimbo has mentioned that he has done a little bit tweaking throughout the spring ball and adding a little bit of his own ideas and, twist which it's his. JOB i, Mean jimbo's got to run the. Offense it's not going to Be jimbo out there calling.
Speaker 1: Defenses so at.
Speaker 2: The end of the, day this Is DJ's, baby and ultimately it is going to have his stamp in his blueprint on. It but, yeah the alignment is going to be based on their strengths and personnel and that makes a whole ton of, sense and especially when you look in the, secondary they have a lot of is A nickel you, Know Antonio johnson was was a star At nickel last year and can be that. Again but if they want to move him, around and they have other options that they can do that with as. Well but, YEAH, DJ i think when you see some of the things that they did at Ole miss last, YEAR i think you could see some of that trickling down from AN a AND m standpoint this year, too just because that's part of his background and he's been in this conference now for a couple of, years and he was in it before back in his forth to, days so he's he knows what, works he knows what. Doesn't AND i think with a talent on, hand some of it's going to have to grow, up and a lot of it is going to be interesting because so many of these guys you're, young especially the guys up, front so there's gonna be some growing, PAINS i. Think but, OVERALL i don't have the feeling that it's going to be anything but what DJ's vision is just with obviously within What jimbo wants it to.
Speaker 1: Be gotcha good. Stuff his name Is Sam Cohn. Junior you can find his fine work over at The. Athletic. Sam we will be, waiting expert the. Text, yes it's such a good. NAME i love. It. There, yeah we will be waiting with baited breath for more info from your interview with Coach Jimbo fisher and definitely excited about the start of the state of the. Program you guys over at The athletic do an awesome job getting the. Rest he's ready for the.
Speaker 2: Season thank you so, much, MAN i appreciate you guys having.
Speaker 1: Me, Alrighty, dan there you. Go that Is sam Con. Junior you could find him over at The athletic. Again senior Writer texpert covers college football recruiting in The Great state Of texas co host of The One True pod on The athletics family of podcasts as. WELL a AND m very, INTERESTING i think to you AND i very interesting to all of college, football not just because of the, recruiting BUT i think the mere notion that they could serve as some sort of counterbalance or another, counterbalance let's, say in the LOADED Sec, west notably To, alabama that, yeah that's just. Interesting that's just. Interesting and the recruiting class has been. Ridiculous Jimbo fisher has been there before on some level one a national, championship, right this is a guy who who knows how to. Coach so they made a serious, investment as you said at the top of the, show not just in, facilities but certainly With Jimbo fisher as. Well so if that ends up paying, dividends that could be a really interesting storyline here in twenty.
Speaker 3: TWO i, MEAN i THINK i speak for both of us and that one of the great joys of the sport is a. Breakthrough is when a team is hitting up against a, wall hitting up against a ceiling for whatever, reason making you, know annual mistakes that limits their, potential and then has a, year a magical year due to a number of factors we saw last year from a number of teams you, Know michigan probably most, notably and getting past The Ohio State. Wall the reasons Why TEXAS a AND m can't are growing fewer and, fewer and hopefully as a college football fan that pays off and we get a breakthrough from The aggies or a fall soon to be.
Speaker 1: Seen, well as we said at the, top don't forget to go on out to solidverbo dot com and hit the subscribe or follow button if you have not. Already we do two shows a. Week if you want to be a super fan of the show going out To, verballers you can get access to the third show that we do every week called The brew AND. A you can also get access to our discord server some of the additional podcast audio, assets audio artistry That dan and our good Friend adam Mean of put together courtesy of a show we like to Call Extra nuggets About. Trivia, yeah also get access to a bunch of the other bonus features that we're offering our super fans At verballers dot. Com V E R B A l l e R. S Solid giveaway Dot com is where you can go and enter our drawing. Again we pick that name in not that long from, now Ye april twenty, third when the Aj brown signed ole Miss mini. Helmet after we draw the, Winner we've got another one that is on the. Way don't forget to follow on social media as. Well at the, end it's ALL i got for.
Speaker 3: Today speaking of picking a, name do you want to know a nugget about How puddle Of mud selected that?
Speaker 1: Name? Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure their rehearsal space was flooded with gross water from the Nearby Mississippi river in The Kansas city. Area that's How puddle Of.
Speaker 1: Mud.
Speaker 3: MAN i learned a lot About puddle Of. Mud we do not need to go through the saga that Is puddle Of.
Speaker 1: Mud oh, saga isn't?
Speaker 3: IT I in my, Head i'm, Thinking i'm not an especially big fan of this. BAND i just assume had a few, hits made some, money maybe playing some, shows because they've got a sizeable fan, base and they've just they're not the headliner they once were upon further, research And i'm not here to dance on anybody's misfortune because that's just seems like it's in poor. Taste it's been a winding road it's been a winding dark road at times For puddle Of. Mud SO i hope everybody associated With puddle Of mud can get can get acts in order and you, know really show out For puddle Of mud fans. Everywhere BUT i just for so they were signed By Fred durst way back when that was the headline signing Of Fred Durst's Flawless, records way back if you, remember right around two. Thousand BUT i saw a quote in a number of places about how boring they were on the road because there's just a bunch of church. Guys you, know they're just a bunch of goodie two shoes and boring guys on the, road not trashing hotel. Rooms and then things went. Sideways, yea then things did indeed go. Sideways so you, know put all The Mud big band for a stretch. There want Some billboard awards nominated for all sorts of big you know had number one. Hits i'm happy to have themed out a spring snapshot show About puddle Of mud. Again NOT i cannot stress this.
Speaker 1: Enough not not mud puddle, Right i'm, Jodding.
Speaker 3: But that was our that was Our puddle Of mud Themed Spring Snapshot part.
Speaker 1: One part, one there will be. More stay. Tuned, Yep puddle Of mud continues through the spring football. Season will continue doing spring snapshots as we've got more to talk. About big thanks to our guest of Honor sam from The Athletic go and check him. Out we will be back On. Thursday in the meantime for that guy, There Dan, rubenstein for, Myself Tie Hilton. Brand as, always stay soft, peace