Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds, and the American Bar Association is asking lawyers to adhere to the rule of law.
Speaker 2: We have such a great show for you today.
Speaker 1: Substacks own the Jim Acosta Shows. Jim Acosta joins us to talk about Trump's strategy to poke holes in the weak points of the government. Then we'll talk to Wired's David Gilbert about the threats Elon Musk's DOGE and the teenagers who work for it pose to US national security.
Speaker 2: But first the news.
Speaker 3: My we are no fans of Harrick Adams at this podcasts. The news is very bad. So I think what was an interesting thing though, was actually to do a timeline of this before we get there, which was that yesterday morning, I woke to a tweet that I immediately sent to you and many people, which was Mayor Adams gathered as top commissioners early Monday to give marching orders under the new administration. Don't criticize President Trump, don't interfere with immigration enforcement, and trust the mayor, sources told the city, and I thought, hmmm, why would he do that.
Speaker 1: And then so I would like to take a moment here to step back for a second and embrace.
Speaker 2: What you and I both know to be the mayoral curse.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think you and I discussed this off air every week for years.
Speaker 2: We discussed this often and always.
Speaker 1: The greatest city in the world has a mayor problem and it rhymes with Adams. No, we have the worst mayors in the world were cursed basically Rudy, I actually like Bloomberg, but you don't. And then the groundhog killer Bill.
Speaker 2: De Blasio, build Abudle, build Bungler.
Speaker 1: And then now we have our mayor, a simple dyslexic man, just like everyone else. Now I'm dyslexic, so no shade on dyslexia. It's my favorite learning disability. But he's very corrumpt Let's be honest here, being mayor is about more than just hanging out at zero bond. And this is true. So basically what this all looks like to me. So the mayor got indicted a bunch of indictments. There was. First of all, there was a while when everyone knew he was going to get indicted, and everyone in his inner circle kept resigning or marrying each other. Then eventually he got indicted, and there were supposedly more indictments coming. He got indicted for his sketchy relationship with Turkey, but there's definitely also other stuff going on. Then he went and sucked up to Trump, and now he has had his indictments dismissed but without prejudice, which means that if he stops behaving and letting Trump's deportation squads in, if he stops doing that, then Trump can refile the charges. By the way, there's a lot of insane details about this.
Speaker 2: You should definitely read.
Speaker 1: There's articles in the Times and The City Is this really great news source that covers a lot of this.
Speaker 3: Helgate also did a phenomenal one right Hellgate.
Speaker 1: There's all sorts of insane details here, but the net net of the story is that basically.
Speaker 2: Our mayor is now free to.
Speaker 1: Act as Trump's lackey until Trump decides that he doesn't need him anymore. And that is not super surprising because we saw him sucking up to Trump to try to get a pardon. But it's yet another dark day for American democracy.
Speaker 3: But what I really appreciated is, in typical Maga fashion, they had to make sure that everyone could understand the message. So what they did right after that was the next headline. Trump has part in former Illinois Governor Rod Blogoyevitch, who did some of the most brazen bribery you've ever seen. And he would that's okay because Rod Bolgoyevitch has been kissing my ass for quite a while, and I want to show this is all you got to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, Rod Blogoyevitch.
Speaker 1: So you'll remember he tried to sell the US Senate seat vacated by former President Barack Obama. He served as the governor for six years. It's funny because remember on this podcast, we interviewed the great Governor Pritzker, and I said, what are you doing next? And he said, if I can serve out my second term, I will be a history maker.
Speaker 3: Which was left us both lefting, so we probably had to cut it.
Speaker 1: He's like our hero after saying that, But federal prosecutors, I mean, look, he turned the government into a money making operation for himself, or tried to and shaking down at children's hospital and racetrack owners who among us, and he went to do out. Look, the larger issue here is that Donald Trump doesn't want bribery to be illegal and let us continue here. Because Trump pauses enforcement of law banning foreign bribery, you would think that this is a law that you can't pause. First of all, when is foreign bribery good? Like I would like my government officials to be able to feel comfortable taking bribes from foreign governments.
Speaker 3: Kind of feels to me, not like training the swamp, but importing the alligators into the swamp.
Speaker 1: The Foreign Corruption Practices Act. What I love about this administration is that we are learning all of these laws that you and I never thought, Like, who would have even thought? The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act makes it illegal for companies to operate in the United States to pay foreign government officials to secure or keep business deals, you know, like kickbacks.
Speaker 2: Well, Donald Trump said no.
Speaker 1: Kickbacks, okay, ordered to pause in the enforcement of a federal law aimed at curbing corruption in most multinational companies. Curbing corruption, you say, no one wants that. That sounds terrible, says it creates an uneven playing field for people who want to be corrupt.
Speaker 2: Can't curb it, gotta do it.
Speaker 1: The law makes it illegal for companies that operate in the United States to pay foreign government officials to secure business deals. This is like quid pro quo is known. It's one of his favorite things. The law was enacted in nineteen seventy seven. By the way, I just want to pause for a second. This another post Watergate seventies anti corruption law that Donald Trump is taking a pickaxe to. Worth thinking about that for a minute. Mister Trump has objected to the law. I love mister Trump. Mister Trump has objected to the law which had led to charges in huge minds against some of the world's largest companies. I mean, this is the thing, right, God forbid? So anyway that is now not being in forced because what are laws anyway?
Speaker 3: It's really funny. The only time you'd have to learn about these laws is when we'd meet shady characters like Paul Manifort and Eric Adams. Trump sick offense which now has led us to a logical conclusion in the reality based world aka not ours, which is that the US has slipped to a do low with the interraditional corruption Index.
Speaker 1: Yes, shocking, I know you'll be shocked here.
Speaker 3: It's almost like causes, right.
Speaker 2: I man, incredible stuff.
Speaker 1: Here we go lowest ever the US received its lowest ever Corruption Perceptions Index score since the Transparency International's current scale was established in twenty twelve. According to the group's annual ranking of public sector corruption across one hundred and eighty countries, the US is one of the forty seven country is to receive its lowest score yet effectively at its most corrupt point.
Speaker 2: You don't have to tell me that.
Speaker 1: I think we all agree that anyone who has read a newspaper in the United States of America knows there something sketchy going on in our government. We should not be surprised at all a four point drop since twenty twenty three. I wonder what changed in twenty twenty three. The cleanest country is Denmark. Finland and Singapore are the three cleanest countries, which is a bit strange. Seventh year in a row that Denmark has led the pack. Venezuela, Somalia, and South Sudan.
Speaker 2: Make up the bottom three. We're coming for you.
Speaker 3: Baby, America, America, America.
Speaker 2: America, American.
Speaker 3: So let's do one last piece of light news before we end.
Speaker 1: No, this is my favorite story of the week. This is everyone's favorite story of the week.
Speaker 3: I would even instruct the listeners. You just go seek out this clip and get a nice smile for yourself. Donald Trump declines to endorse JD. Vance as twenty twenty eight Republican successor.
Speaker 1: This is the one bright spot of the corruption, the stupidity, the anti science. There's so much bad stuff that comes out of the ADMIN, and yet they are occasionally a moment of just incredible hilarity.
Speaker 2: This is like my favorite moment. Donald Trump declines to endorse JD.
Speaker 1: Vance's twenty twenty eight Republican successor. President Donald Trump said in a preview of his Super Bowl interview on Monday that it's too early to endorse Vice President Jady Vans. Brett Baher said, do you think of Vance as your successor? And Trump said no, he is said no, and these said, budd, He's very capable. I think you have a lot of very capable people. So I don't know if anyone remembers from the first season of this disaster, but Mike Pence, Mighty Mike Pence, would like a word. Jim Acosta is the author of The Substack of The Jim Acosta Show and the author of the New York Times bestseller The Enemy of the People. A dangerous time to tell the truth in America. Welcome to Fast Politics, Jim Acosta.
Speaker 4: Molly, how are you. It's been too long.
Speaker 1: It's been too long and things are going great. What are we like in the first month of the Trump administration and we're already we have to cover of the New York Times. Is it a constitutional crisis?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I do think it is a constitutional crisis. I mean, you have the American Bar Association putting out a statement saying that the administration cannot just violate the law, cannot just violate orders from a judge. You know, the American Bar Association doesn't just do that willy nilly. My sense of it is is that, you know, having covered Trump the first time around, it is the shock and ag campaign, and he is trying to poke and prod different pressure points and see, you know, where the vulnerabilities are. And you know, he wasn't able to pull this off on January sixth of twenty twenty one, and so he's trying to figure out and his team is trying to figure out, how do we go about putting together this maximalist view of the executive branch? And you know, I do think people should be alarmed. I don't think that that's overstating things.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of talk about how these people want to grow presidential power, shrink the checks and balances, sort of disassemble some of the founding principles of how American democracy works. I'm surprised at how much Doge has played a part in that. Are you and discussed?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, Molly, you and I were watching this during the campaign, Elon Musk was talking about Doge. Trump was, you know, putting Elon Musk on stage with his dark mega hat and all of that. It just seemed like a joke. It seemed like a lark. And I mean they were deadly serious during the campaign. And what we're now finding out is that, you know, basically Elon Musk is operating like a co president. And you know, one of the things that you know, people need to be alarmed by is I think we're seeing a level of corruption already inside the government that we have not seen since the Watergate days when you have I mean, there's there's a guy named Big Balls or something, what is his name. He's nineteen years old, and he's been he's been put in place over at State and DHS and you know, who are these people who appointed them. I find this to be highly alarming. We have not seen anything like this before. And you know, I was down at the Treasury Department. I wanted to go check out the protest that they had the other day outside the Treasury Department. It seemed like, you know, people are just starting to wake up to what is taking place. I mean, I think that this is, without question and infiltration by an oligarch who is not only looking to feather his nest, but again realize some vision of a maximalist, autocratic, authoritarian style view of how the government should work in this country. And it's just it's just completely anesthetical to the experience you and I and others have had our entire life, and so there should be pushback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's true. And I also think there is starting to be real pushback, which I guess is good and also is strange. And the funny thing to me is like they are trying to take away things from people.
Speaker 5: I mean, like healthcare CFPB, right exactly, CFPB, A lot of stuff that are the kind of things that people have gotten used to, and I'm not sure they understand that they can be taken away exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that we've sort of been operating under the premise over the last you know, fifty years or so that you know, the government does some things. Yeah, every once in a while, there's some waste, fraud and abuse that needs to be rooted out, but by and large, we've been plugging along as a country with a social safety net, Medicare, Medicaid, social security, government funded science, scientific research of the work, the important work that they do at the nih usaid that this notion that in addition to having the Pentagon with the strongest military in the world, you're also going to have soft power. I mean, all of these sort of basics that people like John McCain and John Kerry and Hillary Clinton and you name it, Mitt Romney all sort of agree on this is what government does. All of that. The rug has been pulled out from under all of that, and I think we're right now living through all of this collectively in real time and upending of the American way of life that you and I have been accustomed to for the last fifty years now. I mean, I was talking to James Carvel about this yesterday on my substack. He is of the mindset that progressive Democrats that left so on, people in the center center right, you care about all this, should just sit back, let Trump fall in his face. He's going to do it in time and so on. I do worry a little bit that that is perhaps letting the barbarians to the gate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that's a mistake for any number of reasons.
Speaker 4: I do too, And I love James. I heard him say it. I was like, you know, some people are just frigging traumatized by what is going on in this country right now.
Speaker 1: I think also games is you know, certainly there will be unforced errors, which are probably the only way that democracy makes it through this thing. I don't think that people should And in fact, the truth is, pushback works with this crew, and we've seen that again and again and certainly when it comes to things like ice going into schools and ice going into searches and sending people to GIMO. These are real shock and all paradigm shifts, things that we don't do in this country using the American military on civilians. These are things we don't and there has to be pushback or else they won't stop.
Speaker 4: That's absolutely right. My experience has been with Trump that the only language that he understands is pushback. The only language she understands is sort of going nose to nose in a way that says no this far and no farther. One of the problems that we are experiencing right now is there is almost no pushback inside the Republican Party anymore. The enablers are in charge, and you know when they are putting somebody through like Tulsea Gabbert for Director of National Intelligence. You talk to diplomats around Washington. They are terrified of that prospect that somebody as gullible as she is when it comes to eating hook line and sinker, swallowing hook line and sinker, talking points from the Kremlin and Basha al Asada and that sort of thing. To think that she's going to be in charge of the intelligence community is astounding. When you have somebody like cash ptel Over at the FBI. There were times, and it wasn't that long ago, Moley, and again this is what I'm talking about, the rug pulled out from under all of us. There was a time, I don't know ten years ago when you would have had ten fifteen Republican senators saying, oh, hell no, we're not doing Tulsa Gabert. We are not doing cash Betel and all of that is out the window, right.
Speaker 1: No, No, we are definitely in a different world than we were in twenty seventeen. Oh those halcyon days of twenty seventeen, which we're not so great either. What I think is useful when we look at this admin is that there have been many dark times in American democracy before this, and I always feel like it's important to think of like post reconstruction, like you know, I mean, some of it is that affluent white people have not necessarily gone through this kind of civil rights war the way that people of color have right, especially in the you know, we've seen that in the South and the North. Jim Crow is a really good example of that. But there have certainly been other times when the government has decided that they that they want to root out people who don't agree with them. I think that's a helpful framing. What do you think about that?
Speaker 4: I think so too. I mean, George Clooney is bringing back good night and good luck to Broadway here, and it is a perfect time to relearn the lessons of the Red scare. I think it is a perfect time to relearn the lessons of the civil rights movement of the nineteen sixties, when people were you know, it sounds sort of I guess corny or Quaine or cliche. This to some I suppose not to be, but that folks would rise up and want to march on Washington because they're outraged over what is taking place. That is as american as baseball. I mean, that is as american as the George Washington portrait that is over my shoulder right now. That is as American as a statue of liberty. To scoff at that, I mean, it's almost as though the language we are using, the discourse we are having, has been so warped and manipulated, in large part by people in the right who have cowed much of the country into this position that, oh yeah, that their point of view is completely within the realm of normal political dialogue.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump has but become a very effective vehicle for folks on the far right to push everybody to the edge of the cliff. And at some point you have to stop retreating. At some point you do have to dig in your heels and you have to stand your ground. And you know the other day, when you know, Trump's on air Force one coming back from the Super Bowl or whatever, and he's talking about the January sixth defendants were the ones who were assaulted. He was making that claim to reporters. I mean, we are in a place right now where the truth is just completely out the window for almost half of the country, and so there just has to be a muscular, determined, relentless pushback from people who want to protect the American way of life. And I just think that that is completely within the bounds of like normalcy. I mean, I just, you know, why the hell is that not happening. You know, it should be happening.
Speaker 1: I'm so struck by the way that ever you want, or at least a lot of these people in Trump world don't really believe in any of this. So right, like Trump is the convert. Jade Vance was never Trump until a couple of years ago. Like all these people don't really believe in any of this. I mean, even Elon was Democrat, was donating to Democrats too. I mean, I just, you know, it doesn't seem like anyone feels any of this real deeply. Talk to me about that yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's an excellent point, Molly. I mean, you know, when jd. Vance of Yale Law School is saying that, you know, judges can't overrule legitimate actions from the executive or whatever it was that he posted the other day, just basshit crazy stuff for a guy who appears to be reasonably intelligent. I think what they have found, Molly, is they found a trick that works. And I was talking about this with Timothy Snyder and Applebaum in the week before the election, and you know, one of the scary things, and it is a sorry state of affairs about authoritarianism, about autocracy, about fascism, is that it works with a sizeable percentage of a civilized society. I hate to put it out there like that, but it absolutely is the case. And so what does that mean for the rest of us. For the rest of us, it means it doesn't matter if they feel a deeply down in their bone marrow or if they know that this is all crap and they're peddling it anyway, the rest of us have to say, no, you know, you take that somewhere else. That's just not going to work here. This idea that you don't have smart senators on the Republican side of the aisle up on Capitol Hill saying, what in the hell are you talking about taking over the Panama Canal? What in the hell are you talking about taking over Canada and Greenland?
Speaker 1: Stop?
Speaker 4: It's nonsense. It's crazy talk. But it gets people on the right riled up. And I think it is very much in line with this autocratic, authoritarian view that they are trying to inject into the bloodstream of this country. And it just, you know, it's like a snake bite. We got to suck it out and spit it out.
Speaker 1: And what i'ms for by is that it's just it's not a huge percent into the American people who believe this. It's probably less than fifty percent. Talk to me about that.
Speaker 4: That's an excellent point, because you're absolutely correct. I mean, I think, you know, maybe what ten to fifteen percent believe this stuff. How does a vocal minority get across stuff that is completely unpopular with the vast majority of Americans. They do it through force. They do it through intimidation, they do it through threats. They do it through cleaning out the federal government and replacing officials in important places with coronis and hacks, and I think that is what we're in the middle of right now. It is the reason why they're cleaning out the federal government. This notion that, oh, we're trying to root out waste, fraud, and abuse, bullony. What you're trying to do is you're trying to clean out ten, fifteen, twenty percent of the federal employees in the government, replace them with hacks and cronies and morons and ass wipes right out of college so you can bully and intimidate the rest of the federal government to get these very unpopular policies across. In what world do we want to have the Trump administration doing away with the Department of Education? Who the hell voted for that? During the campaign?
Speaker 1: Nobody voted for Nobody voted for that. I'm curious when we watch this unfold in real time. There's a lot of things that make sense or you see where they're going with it, But some things like their war on the FBI, right, I mean, those guys are Trumpers, Like, how do you think that plays?
Speaker 4: I think that if the rule of law doesn't mean something, then where the hell are we? And I was going to talk about this on my substack later today. The reason why we don't go one hundred miles an hour down the interstate and rob banks and stick up seven eleven's and so on, all of us. The reason why we abide by the law is because we know there are consequences to it. If we're going to upend that, we're going to upend the notion of the rule of law and everybody's faith and adherence to the idea that there's nobody is above the law. If we're just going to abandon all of that, then you're going to end up just total bedlam. I mean, how is it that we have a Justice Department a couple of months ago that says we have a great case against Mayor Eric Adams in New York, and then out of nowhere, the Trump administration walks in and they want to dismiss the case. The same Department of Justice, and I mean obviously not the same anymore. It's led by Trump's cronies. But that should be highly concerning when you have somebody like cash Betel my god, that is an enemy's list that he has put out there. How in the world are you putting somebody in charge of the FBI who has an enemy's list. It's insane. We're on the dark side of the moon, which is an overused expression of mining, but it is truly the case. And Democrats are in a position where they can't really do much of anything. They can take stuff to court, that's you know. Governors and attorney's general can do that sort of thing. They just do not have the numbers and the Congress to stop these dominees, especially when you have a Republican party that is just going to enable Trump at every turn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they do have things they can do that. I mean, if you think about if Newt Gingrid right, there are things Democrats can do, just like there are things new Gingridge did. Jim Acosta, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: It goes too fast. Molly, great to talk to you again. We're reunited.
Speaker 1: We're reunited. It's all happening, just as it should be. David Gilbert is a senior reporter at Wired magazine. Welcome to Fast Politics, Dave, thanks for having me. Wired has been doing some of the best reporting on the dog drama. What are they doing with the computers over there?
Speaker 6: It's a really, really good question, and for all the talk of transparency that Elon Musk and Donald Trump are talking about bring transparency to government. We really have, at the granular level no idea what these guys are doing with the data with the computers over there. What we do know is that a lot of them, at least are very young engineers, them straight out of at least one of them straight out of high school. Some of them are a lot of them straight out of college. Some of them have done internships with musques Ai companies or with his SpaceX or Neuralink or Twitter. He has recruited these young, ideologically aligned people to come in and effectivating do whatever he tells them to do. But what they're actually doing with the data, we still don't really have that insight at the moment.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because I'm not in anyone's head, but it strikes me that the original justification was sort of to update the software. I mean, is that what it is, or I mean, what was the original justification there?
Speaker 6: I think the overarching thing is that they want to treat government as a startup, and they want to get these young and most of them are based on their academic career, extremely bright kids and young adults, and he wanted to bring them in, treat the government as a startup and cost our make efficiencies based in the same way that people would go into tech companies and make efficiencies. And they do that by using a lot of these guys are proficient in machine learning and artificial intelligence, and that seems to be where their expertise lies. And the understanding or the belief is that they are using some sort of AI. One of my colleagues reported that the GSA is already developing its own custom chatbot and AI system and that they are using their feeding federal government data, the data of every single person in the US, into these systems in order to identify where cuts should be made. But what we don't know is what those systems are. Like, we know it's AI, but what does that mean. Are they using off the shelf systems or are they creating their own systems? Is this just Mosque's own grock chatbot that we see on Twitter? Is that just you know, as he just brought that into make savings within the US government, Which is a statement that if you said it's six months ago, sounds ridiculous, but today it sounds actually plausible because what's happening there is just so mind blowing that it could potentially be happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting because it's like, there's no one in the world who doesn't want to cut government boast, right, there's no one in the world who doesn't want these really archaic systems run more like a startup. Right. These ideas in principle are quite good. The problem is when you get into the details.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, and when you try to do everything all at once, and you do it without consulting elected officials because none of these people are elected. It's being done in the background, in secret by these young engineers and by some older engineers at least. We reckon about thirty people working for those at the moment in the various different agencies across government, and they're being overseen by Steve Davis, who is a longtime Musk ally and also Musque, and then he is reporting back to the White House about what's happening. And so that's all happening without any real oversight from Congress, from elected officials, and we just don't know what's happening in there.
Speaker 1: And it's not entirely clear that Trump understands what Musk is doing either.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I doubt he does at all. To be honest, I'm not sure Musk exactly knows what's happening in a lot of cases.
Speaker 1: Say more about that.
Speaker 6: If you look at the background of where the people who we know are working for those have come from. They were recruited in chat rooms and discord channels of you know, people who are very young and have a lot of maturing yet to do and aren't fully developed in terms of their view of the world. But most of them are, if not all of them, have this kind of they're very very pro elon Musk, and they see him as this ideal bigger of someone who has made this in terms of you know, startups and technology and building a huge fortune, and they seem to be willing to do whatever he says. And the problem, I think is that the guys who are in there have come from worlds where they speak in chat rooms in this way where people are just as guess, they're talking in a certain way that is not how you'd expect people to talk working inside government, and they have brought that kind of energy and that's chaos into government where there are people who have worked for decades in those positions and they are being undermined by these nineteen twenty twenty one, twenty two year old people who have no life experience.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean they're certainly the ideological problem, but the fundamental question I have is what are they doing in there? Right? Like, I mean, make government more efficient? But why do they need all this information? I mean, for example, we saw Elon said that he had discovered that there people have multiple Social Security numbers or that again I don't know how that would happen, but or that there's some kind of extra money going around social Security. How would they find that? And can you sort of talk us through that a little bit?
Speaker 6: They can find it because if they're been given access to these classified and sensitive data within government, and they are able then to see the raw data. And I suppose a lot of the claims that Mosque is making is not appears to be based on the actual data itself or him getting access to the data. It's based on claims that are being made by other people on X who are doing some you know, of their own research quote unquote, yeah, not necessarily based on anathink that can be verified or that had you know, the people who are doing it don't have the inside knowledge of exactly how these systems and these processes work because they're extremely complex, they've been built up over decades. I think one insight that we have been given is that there was one member of Thuge who was fired last week because of some racist tweets.
Speaker 1: When do they stop doing this? What's sort of the endgame here are? Well?
Speaker 6: I guess where we are at the moment is there's a standoff where the courts are pushing back on this and saying that they have to stop doing a lot of what they're doing.
Speaker 1: But they haven't stopped, right, They're still doing it.
Speaker 6: To an extent. They have said that they have stopped doing some things. But the sense is that, you know, if you look at what Elon Musk is tweeting about, you know that it's a judicial coup instead of the coup that he is actually carried out. He's calling this a judicial coup because he is saying the courts are stopping them doing whatever they want to do. And we saw in one court fighting this week where the fired Dolge engineer from last week, they initially said he didn't have right access to the data, which means that he can.
Speaker 1: Look, let's read it right, yeah, he said they said.
Speaker 6: Initially he don't really don't read on the access, but in a new court they update and said, oh, we were given wrong information. He did actually have right access and he was able to play with that data in a sandbox as they call it.
Speaker 1: And that's the guy big balls.
Speaker 4: Right, No, that's a different guy.
Speaker 6: That's this is the guy who was fired, but who now they've said they're going to rehire, even though it was exposed that he had posted a lot of racist tweets.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's one guy who was fired because he had leaked information about the company it worked at.
Speaker 6: Right, So there's two guys. One guy is Marco Eles. He was the guy who was fired. He was the guy who had access to the Treasury data right access, even though they said initially he was right. He is apparently going to be rehired because moscous said he's going to be hired, and Trump and Vance have wading and saying he should be rehired as well. Edward Paris team that is big Balls. He is the nineteen year old guy. He is the guy who was fired from his previous job for leaking information to an competitor. He also ran a huge number of web domains, including one that was registered to of them actually that were registered in Russia, and one of them that was China facing looking for clients in China. So, and he's got a pretty sketchy background in terms of the kind of people who he interacted with online. He was kind of in the world of the Calm, which is this really scary online network of people who do a mixture of cyber criminality and sex extortion and swatting and stuff like that. So he was mixing in those circles. And he is still there. He hasn't been fired. He's been given access to these this data, and he has been given an official email address, and he is doing interviews with people who have worked in government for a long time. And he is nineteen years of age.
Speaker 4: And he used to.
Speaker 6: Go by the handle of big Balls on his LinkedIn profile up until a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: No, so that guy is still working in our computers. He's still there.
Speaker 6: He has still got the same access despite all the reporting a number maybe because of it Elon Musk when we reported on him, Elon Musk replied, you know, multiple times and on Twitter kind of saying it was a joke that we should be complaining that this guy shouldn't be working within, you know, at the most sensitive levels of the US government. He thinks that it was a joke, and that he you know, he continues to work in there to this day.
Speaker 1: It's hard to imagine this ending well.
Speaker 6: It is because when you listen to some of the officials that we speak to that have been there for a long time, and they talk about the systems that have been put in place and how sensitive and how complex they are, that if people go in and start tinkering with those systems to kind of slash and burn effectively, which is what el Musk seems to be trying to do, then it's going to cause absolute chaos and potentially irreverbrical damage because it's not something that you can change overnight. These systems have been built over a long period of time and contain millions and millions of lines of code. These aren't iPhone apps or Android apps that you can go in and tinker with and change a bit, and you know, it's not going to have much of a difference. These systems are what people's you know, people depend on these for their livelihoods. They depend on them for Social Security payments, They dependent on them for a vast number of services that the US government provides, and by these guys going in and tinkering with them, it's extremely dangerous. And one of the engineers that we identified, there was an anecdote about him when he was in college that he accidentally deleted his entire code base and just kind of shrugged and went and rewrote it over the next forty eight hours. And that was seen in their world as something that was great because it just showed that he just, you know, was able to rewrite it instantly. But if he does that within US government, that could cause untold chaos.
Speaker 1: It just seems like playing with disaster, right. I mean, this is all of everyone's information in America.
Speaker 6: It absolutely is, and sort of the most sensitive information, you know, because people there's talk of them getting access to background checks on people, so you know, in terms of people's sexuality and their credit score and all of that kind of really really sensitive data that people obviously don't want a nineteen year old called big Balls having access to that just seems to be on the cards now because there doesn't seem to be any limits to what these guys are willing to do or where they want to go in terms of getting access to this type of information.
Speaker 1: Is there anything that American citizens can do at this moment?
Speaker 6: Ray, I'm genuinely not sure, because they can hope that the courts will hold the line. But even if they are holding the line, but as you say, it seems like they're just not going to abide by their rulings. They're going to just continue to do what they're doing. You know, we've seen some Democratic lawmakers have tried to get access to some of the buildings to see what's going on, but they've been blocked by private security. It just seems incredibly worrying at the moment that if your information is stored somewhere in the US government, that you know, the group of a couple of dozen engineers and managers can suddenly have access to it and do it, seems whatever they want with it.
Speaker 1: I mean, what is the sort of best case scenario here, because I'd love to see a best case scenario.
Speaker 6: I think the best case scenario is that there are still people in these agencies who and because they are contacting US and other publications in huge numbers to speak out about what's happening, and I think their best hope at the moment because they have been there, or a lot of them have been there for a long time. This is their life's work in a lot of cases, and they don't want to see it just torn down. They don't want to see it burned to the ground. And so I believe that if they can somehow influence what these guys are doing or help prevent them from making the worst possible scenario, I think that's the best hope for.
Speaker 4: A more positive outcome at the moment.
Speaker 1: Dave Gilbert, this is really some chilling stuff. Thank you. I hope you'll come back.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I'm sure there's going to be a lot more to this. Unfortunately in the coming weeks.
Speaker 2: No moment, Jesse Cannon.
Speaker 3: SMI you down fast. Got to say you know this. Every time I see the words Trump and Gaza, I just think, oh, no, no more, please, no more, mercy, mercy, mercy, because it just keeps getting stupider. And I feel like today it got a lot stupider.
Speaker 1: We spend a lot of time not wanting to chastise the Muslim voters in dear Born who voted for Trump or who just didn't vote for Harris, and certainly I don't.
Speaker 2: Know that that's a way to win voters.
Speaker 1: But that said, oh my god, guys, these guys do not want anything good for Gaza. So Tuesday, Trump met with King Abdollah from Jordan and continued to muse about his grand plan to turn the Gaza Strip into luxury waterfront housing. I laugh to keep from crying again because this is really really bleak stuff. He made no attempt on Tuesday to soften his proposal. By the way, this is a proposal that Jordanians don't want this. None of the Middle East is into this, with the exception of Donald Trump. So he had made no effort to soften his proposal to relocate all of the Palestinadians in Gaza and redevelop their land into Trump Tower Gaza. King Abdullah suggested the Arab world was opposed, but you know what, Donald Trump doesn't care. He repeated his views that Palestinians should be moved out of the devastated strip to parcels in third countries, including Jordan.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he must have.
Speaker 1: King Abdullah must have loved that, despite the fact that no one wants him to do that. I think it's worth musing for a minute. This is the guy who he wants to annex Canada and he wants I mean, this is mister, are like, no open borders except when it comes to your countries. The President brushed aside questions about what authority the US might wield to take control of the Palestinian enclave, a good point like how is America allowed to do this to someone else's country, And he said, in the typical Trumpian fashion, it's not a complex thing to do. And with the United States being in control of that piece of land, which we're not a fairly large piece of land, you're going to have stability in the Middle East for the first time.
Speaker 2: Trump said, all right, well, there we go. I open and shut. I'm convinced.
Speaker 1: Trump's in the oval office of Dellah seated next to him, then made a face.
Speaker 2: No, he didn't make a face.
Speaker 1: But he did say that if he could have, would have rolled his eyes.
Speaker 3: I think the most telling quote here was this one from Trump that said, the US will take over the Gaza Strip and we will do a job with it too.
Speaker 2: Sounds rights, He's going to go wild on it.
Speaker 3: That's what American posts.
Speaker 1: That's right, We're going to go wild on the Gaza Strip just as soon as we get over our most recent measles outbreak.
Speaker 3: In a county that voted ninety percent Trump.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.