Speaker 1: Welcome to good Game with Sarah Spain, where we do not need another sweatshirt. We do not need another sweat clicks by on a fire Phantom Hodee on the Unrivaled site. It's Wednesday, January twenty second, and on today's show, we'll be talking with motorsport pioneer Catherine Legg about how her dad helped her realize her need for speed, the win win scenario that helped fund her racing career, and how her philosophy on women in racing has evolved. Plus, Naomi Germa's passport is about to get a whole lot of stamps. Belated congrats to a dog and a man who just can't get out of women's soccer fast enough. It's all coming up right after this welcome back slices. Here's what you need to know today to soccer at the twenty twenty five NWSL schedule drops today at twelve pm Eastern. Your eyes peeled for that on the league's social pages and website. Sadly looks like we will not be watching US women's national team star Naomi Germa in the NWSL though this season. As she's crossing the pond per the athletics. Meg Lenahan, Chelsea and the Women's Super League has agreed to terms with the NWSL San Diego Wave to pay a record one point one million dollar transfer fee for the defender, though Lenahan sources said the negotiation process has not been one hundred percent finalized. If it is, Germa will become the first women's soccer player to earn a transfer fee worth more than one million dollars. Will keep you posted as more details emerge. Happy for Germa, bummed for me, y'all. I do not have the bandwidth to start paying attention to all the soccer teams across the pond too. I need them to stay in the NWSL selfish reasons. More soccer news. BFC defender Jen Beattie has announced her retirement from professional football. Beattie turned pro at just fifteen years old, and her eighteen year career included multiple stops across the Pond, including helping Arsenal to four FA women Super League titles, two FA Cups and the Women's League Cup in twenty twelve. The Scotland native's career also included one hundred and forty two caps and twenty four goals for her national team. She retired from international competition in twenty twenty three. In her one and only ONWSL season, Beatty, a breast cancer survivor, was named the winner of the twenty twenty four Lauren Holiday Impact Award, honoring her work in the community supporting and promoting breast cancer awareness and patient support. In a statement released by AFC, Beatty set of her retirement quote, I'm very, very grateful for everything I've been able to do through football. When I look back at my career, my favorite thing of all is how fun it was. I've loved every second of it, even all the hard stuff. I would do it all again, all the injuries, the day to day, the big games. I feel so lucky to have made friends for life off the back of it as well. I've met really good people and worked with great coaches and awesome clubs. End quote. One of those great people met through footy. Based on what we last heard, and by that, what we last peeped on social media is wo so legend Ali Krieger, who's dating beat there's your footy and gaishit update of the day. We've been really bad about giving y'all all the goss lately, so We'll get back to that soon. In WNBA news, Britney Griner and the Phoenix Mercury have been basically synonymous since the six foot nine center was drafted to the team in twenty thirteen, but Griner may be headed elsewhere. On Tuesday, the first day of WNBA free agency talks, Grinder's agent told the Associated Press that the three time Olympic gold medalist is taking meetings with multiple teams and testing the market. We'll keep you posted on that. Also in WNBA free agency, the Chicago's Guide declined to give guard Kennedy Carter a qualifying offer, making her an unrestricted free agent now, multiple sources told friend at the Show, Andy Costable at the Chicago Sun Times, the decision was tied to other players dissatisfaction with the dynamic created in the locker room last year due to Carter's behavior, which allegedly went unchecked by former coach Teresa Witherspoon. Now, there was an overall concern within the team that re signing Carter would negatively impact chances of landing other free agents. Weatherspoon was fired back in September after her first season, and former Las Vegas Aces assistant coach Tyler Marsh was named the Sky's new head coach. Sky general manager Jeff Paglioca gave The Sun Times a statement on the decision, saying, Carter is quote extremely talented and as a player that can impact the game at the highest level in our league. We absolutely appreciate all she did for our team last year. However, we've made changes to our staff and we'll make changes to our roster. Those changes impact Kennedy's fit on the team, so we wanted to give her the best opportunity as a free agent end quote. Carter led the Sky in scoring this past season, averaging seventeen and a half points per game. Drafted fourth overall by the Dream in twenty twenty, she earned a spot on the twenty twenty All Rookie team, but she was suspended in her second season with the Dream for quote conduct detrimental to the team. She was then traded to Los Angeles Sparks. She played there in twenty twenty two, was waived in twenty twenty three, and joined the Sky on a training camp contract in February of twenty twenty four. She's now free to explore her options around the league and the window to sign a new contract opens on February first. We were just talking in yesterday's show about Carter going off overseas. Obviously a ton of talent, there can't she pair that with the attitude and the behavior to stick on a team for a long time That is yet to be seen. More hoops news. A belated congratulations to Las Vegas Aces guard Kelsey Plumb, whose number ten jersey was retired at the University of Washington over the weekend. She's the school's first women's basketball player to have her jersey retired and the sixth Husky all time. The ceremony took place in front of a historic sellout crowd at Alaska Airlines Arena, who got to both celebrate Plum and watch u dub knockoff Perdue eighty seven to fifty eight. Plum's outstanding career at Washington included setting the program single season scoring record as a freshman and then breaking that record in each of the next three seasons. She surpassed Jackie Styles's career scoring record with a fifty seven point performance against Utah her senior year, an effort that still stands as the UW single game points record. Plumb finished her career at Washington with three thoy five hundred and twenty seven total points, scoring eleven hundred and nine in her senior season. Both those marks were NCAA records until Kitlin Clark broke them in the twenty twenty three to twenty four season. Plum was drafted first overall by the Aces in twenty seventeen. She's won two WNBA championships with them, as well as two Olympic gold medals with Team USA. Congrats to a dog in pro Vibes News. League one Volleyball hits the court tonight with Love Houston facing Love Salt Lake at Brewin Arena in Utah, starting at nine pm Eastern. You can stream that one for free on love dot Com by creating an account. We'll throw the link in our show notes. In College Hoops News, there's a top twenty five matchup tonight between number twenty three Minnesota and number twenty four Michigan. They tip off at eight pm Eastern on Big ten Plus. There are five other ranked teams in action tonight too. We'll link to the full college basketball schedule in our show notes. To hockey, we've got some PWHL action tonight it's the Toronto Scepters at the Boston Fleet, a seven pm Eastern puck drop in Lowell, mass. This one's a battle of the bottom, as the two teams sitting in fifth and sixth in the sixth team league duel it out. You can catch that streaming on the league's YouTube channel and at the PWHL dot com. Some more PWHL news, the league and play Hockey have announced a multi year partnership, coming together to launch a new girls hockey tournament called the EWHL Breakthrough Cup. It'll take place April fourth through sixth this year in Blaine, Minnesota, and include teams of all ages and skill levels. The PWHL and play Hockey will also hold a series of events aimed at fan development and aimed at growing girls youth hockey, building on the league's existing efforts. We'll link to the full release about the partnership in our show notes. Finally, in tennis, Spain's Paula Bodoso will face Arena Sablenka in the semi finals with the Australian Open. After Bodosa knocked off American star Coco Goff in straight sets. Goff made it one round further than she did in the last two Grand Slams, but she had even higher expectations for this tournament, having put up a twenty two to two records since the US Open. We got to take a quick break. When we come back, We're going full throttle with Catherine Legg. Stay tuned joining us now. She's a trailblazing British racing driver, renowned for breaking boundaries and setting records in motorsports. The fastest female qualifier in the history of the Indy five hundred, the first woman to win a major open wheel race in North America, and the first woman inducted into the Long Beach Motorsports Walk of Fame. Her career spans various racing disciplines including indiecars, sports cars, NASCAR, and international endurance racing. Her new podcast, Throttle Therapy with Catherine Legg, will bring you inside stories with legends of auto racing and new faces from the next generation, plus conversations with the people who have supported her throughout her career. She's been in America for years, but she still loves her tea and biscuits. It's Katherine Legg. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Katherine, thanks for having me on. I actually have a cup of tea as we speak.
Speaker 1: Not surprising you. You can't leave it behind. Did you take offense during ted Lasso when he had a variety of different derogatory terms for tea?
Speaker 3: Now, I thought it was quite amusing.
Speaker 2: Actually, honestly, I started watching ted Lassa and I was like, this is rubbish, Like I am not watching, this is awful. And then by the end of the first episode, I was like, this is the best show ever.
Speaker 1: Yep. I saw the previous and I was like, what is this And then I was like, okay, I'm in. I even have a mug that says hot brown water from ted Lasso. So I want to start with how your love of racing began. Take us back to Surrey, take us back to England, wherever the need for speed first hit you.
Speaker 2: Oh, craky, that's a long time ago now unfortunately giving away my age. So I started racing go karts back in England. As you can tell, I'm not from Alabama, probably by the accent, and it was really just a hobby that my dad and I had. So when I was a kid, I have a sister and she was very close to my mom, and I was really close to my dad and I still am to this day, and so I wanted to be like daddy's little girl and do everything that he did. So if he drank tea and he liked tea, I liked tea right. And so we went on a family holiday vacation to Spain and my dad and my uncle had to go on the go karts there and I was too small short whatever it is, you know, like you have to match up to that height thing like to go on the ride. So this was the same thing with the gokuts. So I was too short and I was a bit stroppy about that. And we got back to England and my dad saw an advert in our local paper for our local go cut place, and so he thought he'd bring me along. And he was actually the first one to get a cart, but I would tag along and pretend to be his little nine year old mechanic, and in the end I nagged him so much that he bought me a cart for Christmas that year when I was nine, and literally we did like three races together and then he was like, okay, she's already faster than me.
Speaker 1: Wow, So okay, so I'm thinking local go carts like I used to do as a kid where you just pay and you get X amount of time and you go out there with your friends and you mess around. But he bought you a cart that allowed you to enter like local little races. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in England, and I think for most of Europe actually, there's like two types of go kart racing. There's the type of go curt racing that you're talking about, where you turn up at like Andretti's speed Sport and you go and buy ten minutes and raise all the other little kids, or if you like me, you turn up and try and work before with them. And they said, anyway, but there's two kinds. There was like to bring your own cart kind and then there was like the indoor kind, so we went to the outdoor kind, which we want to bring your own cart kind.
Speaker 1: Cool. So it sounds like your dad was supportive of your instant love of this. Did you get in general support for your interest in your pursuit of racing or was there some discouragement along the way.
Speaker 3: I would say both.
Speaker 2: Great question, because even within my own family both to a certain extent, like my mom still to this day hates my racing.
Speaker 3: Right, It's not that she doesn't support it.
Speaker 1: She just hates it.
Speaker 3: She gets nervous. She says, yeah, it's dirty.
Speaker 2: It's dangerous, it's smelly, it's noisy, Like, why on earth would you want to do it?
Speaker 3: She just doesn't get it on any level. Right, So, and also I was there was one other girl.
Speaker 2: So I remember nine year old Catherine looking at this girl. I remember her name, her name is Whez, and she was racing. I was like, oh, my goodness, I want to be like her. She's awesome. You know, I really do think there's something behind there. You have to see it to believe it, because if I've just in all the little boys don't it, I don't think I would have thought that it was even accessible to me, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh, completely agree. I mean I look around at the landscape now for girls and women in sports, and I think about just how much bigger I would have dreamed, how many things I would have tried instead of just being like, oh, well, they don't offer it for girls, so I guess I'm just not meant to do it, which is not my personality at all. So it wasn't an intentional like oh I'm let down by that. It just didn't occur to me. I was like, oh, I guess we don't do that then, and now I look around and I'm like, man, the possibilities are endless. So my producers have put in a follow up that you know, we have a rule here called no dumb questions, and this could be done. But just take let us sound easy. If it is BRIT's drive on the opposite side of the road for the US, so the do the laps go clockwise instead of counterclockwise and your races out there?
Speaker 3: Okay, I need to know who asked that question.
Speaker 1: Their names are Alex and Misha.
Speaker 2: Got it, got it right, Alex Amisha, I think you failed the quest. Definitely, definitely a random question. No, we all drive the same way. Actually it's not. It's not a dumb question because there are many different kinds of cars that we race, so we race are running through all them. There's like Open Wheel, which is Formula one, and IndyCar type races which are predominantly on street, street and road courses, but we do some ovals like the Indy five hundred. Obviously you've got stock cars, which you guys would know as NASCAR, and anything that drives on either dirt or pavement in circles predominantly, but do some road and street courses, so kind of flip flop with that one.
Speaker 3: And they are the.
Speaker 2: Cars that you see, like the Chevies and stuff that you see in the NASCAR races that you can relate to what their body shape looks like on the road.
Speaker 3: And then the.
Speaker 2: Category if you like a sports car racing and sports car racing comprises of GT cars, which is like the fancy cars you see on the road, you know, Ferrari's Porsches, Mercedus, that kind of thing. And also prototypes, which are kind of like open wheel cars but bigger and what manufacturers use to test parts and bits and pieces to make the road cars better. And they're called the prototype cars. So the GT cars and the prototype cars and everything, they actually no matter where you are in the world, they have the I think all but one manufacturer of those has the driver's seat in the left side, which is the same as the American side, because I think that's where they do. I think most of the world drives on that side. I think we and maybe Australia are the only anomalies.
Speaker 1: Ireland, Ireland, yeah, Ireland, New Zealand, Yeah, yeah, Ireland does too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, because that's not part of us anymore apart from on the maland yeah.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I've never thought about this before. I'm not a huge racing person, but open wheel is like you can kind of understand it because literally, the wheels are like if you look at the car, they're sitting outside of the car kind of, whereas like a NASCAR car looks more like a normal car and it's sitting in like in the base of the car, the main structure with the Okay, I've never really put those two together when I've heard about open wheel racing. Okay, you've done pretty much all of it. Have you ever thought about I want to focus on one type of racing and give all your attention and efforts into that discipline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I did for the most of my career. Actually, I wanted to be a Formula One driver ever since I was nine years old.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 2: Again, going back to the first point, which I feel very much the same as you, like, it wasn't that I consciously thought that anything was closed off. I just didn't see it as an opportunity. So it wasn't it just wasn't there. So even though I wanted to be an F one driver, I never really thought I'm gonna try and be an F one driver because I can see it because there was no females and Formula one. There weren't no girls in it, and so it just wasn't really an option. So I just kind of kept plotting in that direction, and I wanted to do that. I came over here because in two thousand and five to get the first opportunity that I really had, because I'm not from a wealthy family. Until race cars, you need money, and that's either in the form of sponsors, or you get backed by a manufacturer, or you have wealthy parents. Most people have wealthy parents that do racing, right. I mean, if you trying to get to Formula one these days, and you're going through the lower formula and you're.
Speaker 3: Making your way up the ladder we call it.
Speaker 2: You start off in the smaller, underpowered cars and you learn how to drive those, and then you get a bit more power and a bit more grip and you work your way out and to get if you won every series on the way to Formula One, it would still cost you probably twenty million dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's kind of cost prohibitive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's kind of like it's like on par with Hollywood for like Nepo babies. That's how you know all the names in racing because it's somebody's sons and then somebody's son's son son son. Okay, wait, let's talk about that. So you start out with the with the go karts, and you get this love of racing at age nine, and even though you don't really see a model of what you could be, you just keep at it because it's something that you love doing and it's something that you're passionate about. What were you racing when you made that move to two thousand and four, because we'll talk about that story of walking into an office and literally like cold pitching someone on believing in you. But what had you done up until that point when you decided to make the move to the US.
Speaker 2: So I was fortunate enough that my dad could have fund me through go karts, right, So he actually gave up smoking. So he was smoking like two or three packets a day, and he thought, Okay, if I give up smoking, that's enough money to buy Catherine and you say, have tires on a weekend win win. How cool is that? Yeah, so that's lovely. So he got me through go karts and then I won a scholarship. I took quite in a competition and I the fastest, and I want a scholarship to do like some Formula Forward, which is entry level car racing, and I wanted more. And I spent literally every evening because I was working during the day, I spent every evening writing sponsorship proposals and sending them out via email and snail mail and like printing off my racing CV or resume.
Speaker 1: And this is early twenties.
Speaker 2: Early twenties, Yeah, early twenties, out of go karts, trying to be a race car driver. And then you can, even though you've got a Formula one dream, like that's the tippy top of the mountain, right, there are other races that you can do. Even in Europe. We don't have NASCAR and stock cars in Europe. We have Formula one and we have sports cars. Stock cars is a very American thing, so that wasn't really part of my thinking back then, but sports cars was. And in sportscar racing there are a lot more drivers because you have a team of up to four drivers in one car and you switch out because you're doing like the twenty four Hours of lamon on Daytona twenty four And I thought, okay, if I aim for the Stars and I aim for Formula One and I come short, then I'll end up in sports cars and I'll make a.
Speaker 3: Career doing that.
Speaker 2: But I was always a big proponent of get comfortable being uncomfortable, and so as you alluded to, I did go and sit in an office. So Kevin Calcoven his name was, and he is the reason I am talking to you today.
Speaker 3: He was the owner and chief of the IndyCar series.
Speaker 2: Let's call it the IndyCar Series because back then it was actually called Champcar, but I'm going to confuse the situation, so we'll call it in. And he was over in England and he was buying Cosworth from Ford.
Speaker 1: Carsworth is another major car.
Speaker 3: Kind of sorta nearly good guess, good guess.
Speaker 2: It is like the Performance brand or was the Formance brown Okay, so you know how like Toyota has Alexus and Honda has HPD and et cetera, et cetera, so Couswork has the Ford Performance brand. So he was buying that off of Ford because they make engines and they do like boat stuff and a whole bunch of stuff.
Speaker 3: That I don't really understand.
Speaker 2: And I wanted the opportunity to come a race in America because I'd seen one of my peers do the same thing and make a success, and I thought, America is the land of opportunity, and it's going to be like way better for women to get along in a male dominated sport, which is actually true. And so I turned up. I borrowed a suit, like, not a racing suit, like a business suit. I never never wore a business suit before, CV in hand, resume in hand, and I drove my little Voux Hall Novo, which none of you will know what that is, but it's a tiny little hatchback that does about twelve miles an hour.
Speaker 3: And I turned up at the.
Speaker 2: Office and this guy's a multi billionaire, right and he's sold and run multiple successful businesses. And I'm like, yeah, I'm just going to go home and turn up and see him. So I go to reception and she's like, are you crazy? What's going on now? You can't see Kevin. He's in the middle of doing a big multimillion dollar deal to buy cousewere but his girlfriend at the time and then wife after that, and his daughter were there and they saw me and they were like, who is this crazy English lady who's sat in the reception And they came and spoke to me and said, Okay, Kevin, I think she's got something special. You should speak to her. And so I explained who I was. I like sweating, rite nervous, and I explained to him who I was and what I wanted to do and why I wanted to be in his series and championships so badly and how I would do him proud on all of this. And it was honestly the most nerve wracking experience of my life. I'm getting sweaty just thinking about it. And I left. I call my dad because back in those days you could use your mobile phone in the car when you were driving.
Speaker 3: And I called him and I was crying and they he didn't like me. This is so bad.
Speaker 2: But literally four days later, Kirsty and Kim is girl power right, they had my back and they said that he should give me a test. So I got a call four days later from a team saying, hey, can you fly to Phoenix because we want to test you.
Speaker 1: And you said, no, I don't have any money.
Speaker 3: I said, Daddy, can I borrow some money? Any like four hundred pounds? Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I did the testing in Phoenix and the team gave me a glowing report back to Kevin, and Kevin said, okay, young lady, and here's typical way of doing things. He said, we'll give you the first six races of the championship. And this championship was like one level down from IndyCar, right, so it's one step to IndyCar. I'd never driven anything that big and powerful before. I'd never done a full season of racing anything car wise before, so it.
Speaker 3: Was a big deal.
Speaker 2: And I turn up I've never driven on a street course before and Long Beach, California. So I go out and qualifying for my first ever race, I stick it in the wall and crashed into the wall. Not badly but they could repair the car, but bad enough that I finished like last and I had to start the race from there. And then I made my way through the entire field and like everybody saw what they were doing and was like they were crowding the track and they were all looking at it and I was going like making up spots and I actually won the race it and it got California's biggest sporting moment or something that year in two thousand and five, that was how long ago it was. But that's kind of what put my career on the map.
Speaker 1: Beginner's luck. You think, were you not overthinking it because it was your first time you'd never done it?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think it was because I thought it would be easier in America than it was in Europe. And I just came over and I was so arrogant and confident and I was like, Yeah, I'm going to kick everybody's butt that I didn't think think that the alternative was a plausibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you got used to it and you were like, oh it's hard over here, it's hard. Yeah, that'll happen. Okay. So you start your career in this incredible way, which reminds me of a story from this amazing, super successful executive, Sarah rob o'hagen that I interviewed years ago, and she wanted so badly to work for Virgin that she went on a networking cruise and stalked a Virgin executive and literally would not stop bugging him until she got a job. Flew all the way from New Zealand to New York, and the day she arrived, they had let go of the executive who hired her, and no one there even knew she'd been hired. So she shows up for her first day in a new country and they don't have a record that she's supposed to be working there. She put together this giant plan, put it under the door of the exec and said, like, this is why you should keep me around, even though you didn't even know I was hired. When I hear those stories, when I hear your story of walking into the office and demanding a chance, I just think about how often we let the fear of failure get in the way of even trying, and like, just what's the worst that can happen? I could have said, I don't know who you are, I'm not meeting with you. Okay, you try something else, But instead you get this opportunity to make the most of it. So cool, Okay, I want to fast forward a while because last year you actually raised the NDY five hundred with ELF as your main sponsor, and a couple months ago we talked to ELF CMO Corey Marchisoto about that event and how wild people went for the ELF activation. Women so used to not being catered to, not being served at these events, and I imagine you get a lot of girls and women reaching out to you, not just for advice, but just wanting to talk shop. How do you handle the joy of that and also the pressure of that sort of responsibility.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, that's such a multifaceted answer, Like the ELF partnership has been so wonderful on so many different levels. And then it open I opened my eyes to something that I didn't even know existed, right, because I went through my entire career going I'm not any different to the boys. I just want to be taken seriously, like, just treat me as another race card driver. And then this big splashy partnership and activation that they did at Indy showcased how much we were not.
Speaker 3: Being catered to.
Speaker 2: Like there it's a growing demographic in racing. I mean, there are women running countries and companies and everything now right, Like, I don't know they're allowed in the pit lane now.
Speaker 3: They didn't.
Speaker 2: They weren't twenty years ago. And I guess I had been so in it, like deep buried in it that I hadn't seen it from the bigger picture, and Elf did. And so when they went there, all of these women, I just started noticing how many women there were there, and how they now had somebody that they could cheer for with a product that was being on the car and advertised to them in a way that they could relate to, you know, like most women wear some kind of makeup in some way, shape or form, or do skincare or something, and we made the car pink. And I was like, oh, that might be a little bit too cliche, but it wasn't because they all the kids they were like the pink car, and it was just it was like this girl power movement and it was magical. Honestly, it was like the whole place loved it. But then because the women loved it, the men loved it, and because the women wanted to be there and they were interested in racing and they were interested how the pink car and the ELF car did. The guys loved that they were allowed to have this passion and they could share it with their daughters or their wives or whoever it was. And so it opened everybody's eyes. I mean this series. The manufacturers ELF was shocked by it. I was shot by like literally everybody it was this. It was an enormous deal. It's won a lot of awards actually since, and I know they're very forward thinking, progressive company, and they've done lots of cool things, but I think this definitely has to be amongst the coolest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so much in what you just said, thinking about having worked in sports for the last like twenty years and pushing so much for women's sports to be a part of everyday conversation. The change from what it used to be, which was we're just one of the guys, We're the same, just let us in now saying like we can lean into the differences with intention and understand the power in that. You've talked about not wanting to emphasize your gender in the past, but you feel differently now. What changed for you about being able to say I can succeed in a male dominated space and not have to erase my gender, but instead can lean in and talk about it.
Speaker 2: I think that times are changing as well, which is important. So twenty years ago, when I was breaking into racing, I wanted to not stand out right it was still very much a gimmick and a novelty, and people were like, oh, what if she crashes and she hurts herself, And so it was just inaccessible to women. And there were a few of us that broke through it, you know, Dianikha and I and a couple of others, but we were very much trying to be taken seriously for our driving, not for what you know, for standing out and being different. But now I think it's seen as okay to be feminine. I mean as a woman in racing, and as a woman in probably more than just racing, probably all sports, although I can't speak to that.
Speaker 3: You'll be better better often in that.
Speaker 2: I think you walk a tightrope because you want to be seen as feminine and attractive because you're a woman, and what woman doesn't. But you also want to be taken seriously and thought of as a badass, and these days you can be both. Back back then, I think you had to pick your poison right well.
Speaker 1: And I remember with Danika there was so much talking out of both sides of mouths about how you get a spot, get a sponsor, get an opportunity, and it's like, well, if your dad's dad's dad has been in it. We don't care. But if you got it because you're a woman, and the brand knows you're going to bring a lot of attention and interest and coverage to it, then that's bad, right. There were such double standards understanding that in racing, you do you need people to take a chance on you. You do need better factors and sponsors and teams, and so the idea of like, well, I don't want to make it about being a woman, while also simultaneously understanding that there are barriers to women participating and that's part of your story is really difficult. Can you tell us what you think are some of the biggest things that get in the way of more women getting into racing sports.
Speaker 2: I think that it happens when they're young. I think you have to start racing when you're young and you've still got sticky brain, and you know, when you do sports when you're young, you just figure it out right.
Speaker 1: And you like are fearless about how many bones you could be breaking and all the things that could go wrong.
Speaker 3: Yes, one per one hundred percent failss.
Speaker 2: I think that if you learn as an adult, it would be very much more difficult, and I think you wouldn't have that, I don't know, subconscious skill set. You'd have to think about it more consciously. So I think it happens in the teenage years, and I think it happens like with Goka. So now there's a lot more girls who want to go go carting and they want to make their way up the ladder. But if you think of it as a pyramid, and there are literally hundreds of thousands of guys across the world who want to make it to the pinnacle of this pyramid, being NASCAR Cup or a Formula one or Indica, right, pretty much there is probably only like ten thousand women. So the chances of one of those making it out of you know, the hundreds of thousands of guys wanting to do it, is a lot slimmer.
Speaker 3: But there are more doing it now.
Speaker 2: The problem is they get to fourteen, fifteen, sixteen seventeen, and they're racing against the guys and you're bullied and made fun of and you're made to feel like an outcast, and to be honest, like these days it's easier, but back in those days it was more the adults. It was more the parents that were like you got beaten by a girl, like it was slanderous, like you were a failure as a son. And so now I don't think there is that, but it's still it's that you start to realize that gender is a different around that age, and you start to see boys like ooh, I fancy.
Speaker 3: Him or I want to date him, and then there's.
Speaker 2: Like this whole confusion, and so a lot of women drop out at that age because of all of those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think I will admit that there were times in my career when I was the only woman in the room and I would have advocated for more women, But there was also a part of me that was like, oh, I'm special, I'm the one who made it right, because that's what they teach us. There's only room for one at the table, and if you're the one, then you're special and maybe you're just better, instead of realizing that that's actually a tool of the patriarchy to keep women and minority folks down, is to make it feel like there's only enough space for one or two and that you're the special one and really discourage you from reaching a hand down and encouraging others to come up with you. That's changing a lot of late. But I wonder if you look back honestly, at any point in your career, did you feel special in the sense of like, oh, this scarcity makes me stand out? Because I do think when you talk about the only woman or the first woman a lot, it's both a positive in that you've opened a door, but it also sort of celebrates scarcity in a way that might discourage other women because they hear, oh, there's only been one.
Speaker 2: Oh that's not for me, then one hundred percent, And I think that's more a marketing and a.
Speaker 3: Pr thing than a me thing.
Speaker 2: And actually, the more I've matured, the more I've come around to your way of thinking, Whereas I was very much similar when I was younger, because I experienced it like when I came back to Europe to race for a couple of years because the IndyCar series merged together and one had Danika and one had me, and like it was literal that they only wanted one of us, like there was only room for one woman. So subconsciously that just reinforces all the beliefs that you were just talking about.
Speaker 3: But now I realized, no, I don't know a decade ago.
Speaker 2: I guess it probably was that that was happening when we started the FIA Women in Motorspot Commission, and the FIA is the sport's governing body, so we were trying to get more women involved, and there was this mentality of I want to be the best woman amongst all of the females. And there was like maybe twenty of them across the world trying to make it as race car drivers in relatively different levels, and they all wanted to be the best girl. They wanted to be the standout girl. And I was banging the drum about no, you've got so many more people that you need to beat. You need to beat all the boys as well, Like it doesn't matter if you're the best woman. Who cares if you're the best woman because there's so few of us. That doesn't actually put you anywhere in the whole skin of things. Like, let's band together, and which is why I put an all female team together, because I wanted to showcase the female talent, because we're stronger when we're together. And by the way, there's not many people who have had our life experiences, so we can all relate to each other, hell each other to grow, but there still is, especially amongst the younger ones. But I think that spread into them by the people they surround themselves with. That's all I can imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes with sports like racing where women can and do compete against men, we're not sure if we should put it in our women's sports conversation, but it's not really necessary for there to be a separate women's division either. Do you think that lack of separation has resulted in more or less women being included? Do you think if there was an opportunity for just women's races, more girls and women would give it a try?
Speaker 2: There is now actually, Sarah, there's the F one Academy, which.
Speaker 1: I've seen that, but didn't it lose funding like right when it started?
Speaker 2: So the W Series it was called before Formula One, kind of took on the same concept and made it their own. Yes, it failed because nobody wanted to sponsor it for some reason, and I.
Speaker 3: Don't know why.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing, like, I don't know how I feel about that, and I'm so torn a knife flip flop, because yes, it gave women that wouldn't necessarily have had the opportunity. It gave them the opportunity and open doors and gave them a showcase if you like. But also, we don't need to be segregated in racing. It's not outright strength. There is absolutely no reason we cannot compete with the men. And you know, Linse and James and Janet Guthrie and Danika and I we've all proven that we work hard enough in the gym that we can be strong enough to drive these race cars and we don't need to be segregated.
Speaker 3: So the fact that they are segregating us is actually.
Speaker 2: Keeping the level lower because they're not racing against the best of the best, so they're not becoming the best that they can be. And so it's kind of it's another way that I think is weirdly keeping women down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like maybe a little bit of both. You know, it stays open category, but there are opportunities, especially in the lower levels, for women to race alone, to feel more comfortable, to feel more supported, to feel like maybe they aren't going to get that bs from parents or adults about competing against boys. We have to take a quick break. We'll be right back. You know, I listened to an interview. Did you said that racing has been your life twenty four to seven since the age of nine. You do everything all in, no half ass. Everything is about pushing yourself. Everything is about squeezing out every bit of your potential. And I find in life sometimes the qualities that make us great at our job can lead to issues in the rest of life, lack of balance, struggles in personal or family life, difficulty accepting loss or disappointment. If we're extremely competitive and then we try to bring that to other spaces. Sometimes it's not great in life that I could talk forever and ever, and I have opinions on everything. It's good for my job, maybe not for everybody that wants to hang out. Do you find that some of the things that make you great at racing make the rest of your life tough?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, We're getting all deep and meaningful now, yeah, but yes. So one thing is everybody says you make sacrifices, right, I don't necessarily see it as sacrifices because I've never thought of giving up anything for racing, because racing is my identity. And that's scary, Like if you actually think about it, racing should be something that you do, not who you are, but it's something that's kind of taken over my life and it is who I am. And yes, it's been to the detriment of relationships. You know, they're hard to maintain when you're going around like you're going away every other week, you're going away with a bunch of men, so there's jealousies that come into play.
Speaker 3: There's also you.
Speaker 2: Know, I have to be a boss in every aspect of my work and take charge and it's really difficult to let go of being alpha when you're at home as well, so it's hard to I'm probably hard to deal with.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: My mom doesn't get my life either, as we mentioned before, but my dad does, so like it's had benefits well us closer probably and my mom and I further away. But yeah, relationships, I've got a lot of really great relationships in racing though, Like my friends are all to do with racing pretty much. But I would say that my life is very insular and it's very much like a traveling circus because I don't necessarily have a life outside of racing, which is a very strange concept for people to get the head around. But what's really really scary is what do I do after racing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, it's good to know that about yourself already. You don't necessarily have to have an answer or a solution, but to be aware of it now and start thinking about what it looks like when racing isn't. You could still be an owner or a you know, work in the space without still racing yourself. But what other aspects of life and who you are do you want to explore when you have the time for it. I'll just tell you personally, it was really meaningful to me the old podcast that I used to host, where I just had everybody from every walk of life and industry that I was fascinated and interested in, and talking to people who had major life disruptions, whether they had a massive injury or illness, whether they were fired from a job that they loved, some massive thing. And I remember when I would talk to them and hear the way they dealt with that, I would think, how would I deal with something like that? And I realized, terribly, terribly would have been the answer to a disruption of the life that I had created and loved. And then when I went from full time to part time at ESPN, somewhere I had worked for thirteen years and thought I would never leave. It was such a blow to my identity because my identity was Sarah Spain from ESPN. And I think it's useful to start doing that exercise with yourself now of what would it look like if this wasn't my every day, What would I want to do? How I would I spend my time? Just you know, so that whenever things change, you're already in a mindset of like you'll be able to deal with it and find the positive spin on it. That's my advice from someone who got smacked up the side of the head without warning.
Speaker 3: I will absolutely do that.
Speaker 1: I want to do a speed round quickly. I have so many other questions for you, but we're running out of time. So favorite race ever, Long Beach, Crum Prix, Awesome, favorite car you got to race.
Speaker 2: Champ called the Indy Car back in the day when it was big and burlliant, loads of power.
Speaker 1: Dream car you'd want to have, just to like tool around.
Speaker 3: Town pushed heabm hmm.
Speaker 1: Race you'd most like to compete in.
Speaker 3: Them all twenty four or BATHFST twelve hours.
Speaker 1: The racer you most look up to, current or anytime, anytime, and Senna the goal you've set and have yet to reach, win the Indy five hundred mm hmm. How often is a race decided by the car and at the driver.
Speaker 3: All the time?
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, the guys at the back are working way harder than the guys at the front because the car is so much better. So I would say that that is a really good question because it's a common misconception that the drivers at the back are the worst drivers.
Speaker 3: That is absolutely not the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I wonder how you deal with that, Like you're participating in a sport that not only could be so unpredictable because another driver's error could take you out, but also I know in the twenty twenty three and five hundred your race ended due to engine failure. That has nothing to do with.
Speaker 2: You, right right, the car wasn't capable of running up front either, so it was almost like it was inevitable that we were going to have a bad day. That's a bad way of looking at it, but it kind of was. So you always want to prove yourself. You have to prove yourself in the in the bad equipment bad But like the second lassid so that you can then move up and you can interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gosh, that's it's like having a teammate that lets you kind of but all the blame goes to you. Oh, I couldn't do it, Like I always say, I could never play the sports where I'm only on the field for like offense and then the defense takes over because I'd be like, ah, you're sucking it up. Let me get out there. Like I just way too much control issues for that.
Speaker 2: So when we do Daytona twenty four hours and this sports car racist that we do endurance racing in, we have teammates, right, and it is exactly the same.
Speaker 3: And I am exactly the same as you. I'm a control freak.
Speaker 2: And when somebody else is in the car, I'm on the radio go why are they doing that?
Speaker 3: What are they doing it? Tell them this?
Speaker 1: Do that. I don't know how you do it. Do you have to do therapy or exercises to process how to look at your performance independent of whether the equipment or your pit crew or something else happened that made the race go wrong.
Speaker 2: No, And I think therapy is a relatively new concept in sports, Like back in the day when I was learning it, was kind of like, suck it up and get on with that, right, and now they're is. Sports psychologist are very helpful and I have seen one a few times in the past and it helped an enormous amount.
Speaker 3: Gloria was her name, and she was amazing.
Speaker 2: And I think you learn ways of doing it yourself that you can then carry on a bit like physical training, like we have to physically train really hard, and so you learn after a while what works for you and what doesn't work for you.
Speaker 3: And it's the same with mental training.
Speaker 1: I imagine the same goes for getting back in a car after a crash. You had a really terrible crash at the two thousand and six Champ Car Race at Road America. What does that feel like? Does it slow down? Does it speed up? Are you processing it? Are you blacking out like in that moment? What's it like?
Speaker 2: Terrifying? I've had a few. I think I'm like a cat with nine lives, and I think I've used that most of them. But what happened in that particular crash was the rear wing. So on an open wheel car, they've got a lot of downforce, and so you know what makes an aeroplane take off, there's like the uplift from the wings. Well we have the same but the opposite way around. So it's pushing us into the TIREMAC pushing the tire into the track surface, and those things generate over one thousand pounds of pressure on the tire, so you can imagine how much weight is on there. So mine broke and I picked up an enormous amount of speed because you don't have all that drag and that downfall gravity right exactly, And so I.
Speaker 3: Just remember thinking, what the what the what?
Speaker 2: But by the time I thought that, I was one hundred miles an hour into the wall and I was climbing a fence and I remember kept my eyes open. It was the first big crash I ever had, and I remember seeing the engine flying around and I was like, oh, that's good because fire and fire is terrifying in a race car.
Speaker 3: That is the biggest thing.
Speaker 2: I think you can get your head around breaking bones, but for me, I don't. I would assume that it's the same for everybody, but I don't really know that. I think the thought of fire and the thought of Bernie is.
Speaker 1: At its terrible or I think it's universal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So I saw that happen, I'm like, oh, nippie. But then I started to roll and I started to hit my head on the ground because in those times they didn't have the halo and all the safety equipment, and I thought, this is it.
Speaker 3: This how ends.
Speaker 2: I'm going to break my neck. But I came to rest upside down. I pushed a radio button, thinking that that would still work. Of course it didn't. It was probably two hundred yards up the track and I said, tell my dad I'm okay, because my dad was there and I wanted to, you know, I knew it was horrific and I wanted him to think that it was okay. But the safety crew were amazing. The cars were really strong, and they were already as I was crashing, they were on the track and they were getting to me, and they took me to the med center, and in typical brit style, I came out of the med center like a bit banged up but fine, and I was like, I'll be okay after a cup of tea.
Speaker 1: Wow, did you have to go through a lot to get back behind the wheel or was it just no?
Speaker 2: They put me back in a car four days later to make sure that I still had I know, right, But here's the thing. I think if it had been my fault and I had caused it, I would have thought about it very differently. But because it was just this anomaly thing that broke, it was.
Speaker 1: Your damn teammate again, letting you down, letting me down.
Speaker 2: But I had to come to Jesus with my dad about it too, because my dad. I had never seen my dad cry before and that was the first time. And he said, Catherine, for fifteen minutes, I didn't know whether you.
Speaker 3: Were dead or alive. I was like, oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: So I said, listen, I'm doing what I love and if anything bad happens to me, it's not because you got me into racing. It's not anything because of you, Like I love it and it's my fault and that you dare blame yourself kind of thing.
Speaker 3: So that was cool to clearly air.
Speaker 1: Okay, last question for your biggest pet peeve with drivers on the average American.
Speaker 2: Road left hand lane doing the same speed or a block and like move out of the left lane. The left lane is for passing, like it should be a system kind of ran here, like slower cars keep to the right lane. And then if you get a little bit faster in the middle lane, and then if you're going faster than that going the fast lane, you should not be just going in the fast lane and sitting there and doing sixty five miles an hour and seven to limit drives me absolutely potty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I completely agree, because also for me, everything is a race, just like you, and so I might get out of my way either you're going fast or getting out of my way. Do you get a lot of speeding tickets?
Speaker 2: I don't, luckily, because I have my eyes peeled all the time, and obviously ESTHS has been limits. But it's funny you mentioned that. So I'm gonna ask you a question. So I do this in everyday life, Like I'm getting on a plane, I'm like the most efficient way, the fastest way to get there. It's the same going around a grocery store, everything, and it impacts every aspect of your life.
Speaker 3: Do you do the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's a serious problem.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: I always say that my competitiveness served me so well as an athlete and now just as a normal human. It does nothing for me except for make me sort of insufferable at times.
Speaker 2: Right, and people don't get it, and then we get annoyed with the people because they don't.
Speaker 1: Get it, because I'm like, you're not being efficient right, Yeah, I'm like, why don't you do this better? Here's the perfect system I've laid out to how to do this quickly and efficiently. Get out of my way on the sidewalk, get out of my way on the road, get out of my way at the store, do this the way I said over here, and then it will be better. Yeah, it's so much same, so lifelong process, Catherine, for everybody, not for everybody, for us. Yeah, but how are.
Speaker 2: We going to get over that so we can have normal, healthy relationships where we're not seeing everything as a competition.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you know what's helping. Just getting old is slowing me down and making it harder for me to try to do everything as quickly and efficiently. It was so great to talk to you. We can't wait to listen to more of your new podcast. Thanks so much for taking some time to chat with us.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Catherine for joining us. Could I talk for a while longer? Really fascinating stuff. I learned a ton We have to take another quick break when we return. Finally, a FIFA decision we can get behind. Welcome back slices. You know, we love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, So here's our good game play of the day. Listen to Catherine's podcast, Throttle Therapy. We'll link to where you can subscribe in our show notes and check out her next race, the Daytona five hundred on February fifteenth, or she'll be racing a stock car and she also plans to do the Memorial Day double this year, racing in the Indy five hundred and the Coca Cola six hundred on the same day. She would be the first woman to attempt it. So listen to her show and keep tabs on what she's up to. And listen to Full Circle, a new iHeart women's sports podcast hosted by Los Angeles Sparks gard Lexi Brown and sports media personality Mariah Rose. It premieres today. They're giving you the inside scoop on what's happening in the WNBA and college basketball, discussing their wide ranging playing experiences, giving you day to day news around the women's hoops world, and talking about the culture at large. Plus, fans will get an inside perspective because Lexi's playing in the upcoming Athletes Unlimited season. Once you finish our episode today, go tap in link to that pod is in our show notes too. We always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email. Good game at Wondermedia Network or leave us a voicemail at eight seven to two two oh four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's easy watch. FIFA is suspending Panama Football Federation president Manuel Arius after he called national team player Marta Cox fat and out of shape, rating five out of five. Yeah, that's how a governing body should work. Review this guy. What a great a douche. Here's how things went down. Per the Athletic Cox was transparent with reporters about a perceived lack of facilities in Panama in the wake of the country's twenty twenty four CONCACAF w Goldcup group stage exit. Unhappy with Cox's remarks, Manuel Arius told reporters of Cox quote, she's out of shape, she's fat, she couldn't move on the pitch. It's very easy to talk, but she doesn't know anything about the Panama League for years. She doesn't know what's going on here. End quote. FIFA called the comments derogatory duh and sanctioned him. He's banned from all football related activity for six months and was fined ten nine hundred and thirty two bucks. After the sanction came down, Arius called his own comments quote very unfortunate language end quote, a very serious mistake. End quote. I mean, yeah, you're damn right. We're so far past the days when bullying athletes was acceptable. And good on Cocks for saying what needed to be said about their resources. Clearly she struck a nerve. Now it's your turn, rate and review. Thanks for listening. See tomorrow and former Minnesota Aurora app ceplayer Morgan Stone and team co founder Andrea Yach join us to talk all things Aurora. Have you invested yet? This capitol raised window ends January thirty first, so get on it. Go right now, go. We'll put the link in our show notes. Good Game, Catherine, Good Game, Full Circle podcast you England for colonizing our soccer players. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutterer, Britney Martinez and Grace Lynch. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain.