Speaker 1: And welcome into an episode of Tiger Territory, part of the Foul Territory Nowork Detroit Tiger's podcast. I am ker secretly with me as always a man who pays for his burritos in more ways than one. He's cally saving and how are we doing?
Speaker 2: It's doing all right, Kieren? What a what a weird season? This is, man, the Tigers area, they're like the greatest team ever now they're making baseball look easy.
Speaker 1: Well, here here's the thing, Cody, it's not like the whole don't let the Tigers get hot thing. The Tigers are hot like they they're like, there's just no way around it. You can't talk your way out of any other statement. And I'm much we're recording this, uh you know in the evening on Thursday. I don't have the score of the White Sox Red Sox game in front of me right now, But if it's not for the Red Sox, I do kind of believe the Tigers might be sort of like the the talk of baseball a little bit more, especially given the trades and how the trade deadline went down.
Speaker 3: But look, eleven to nothing.
Speaker 1: That's after an eight nothing win to begin and then obviously you lose the game in the middle there, but you win another series that you put it out on. X six straight road series wins for the Tigers for most since nineteen eighty eight. There's another stat where it's like most runs in this span or whatever since nineteen forty six. Like, we're far reaching. We talked about the nineteen twenty seven stuff last time. We're far reaching to kind of make comparisons and ways to kind of like talk about this team, Cody. Maybe the bottom line is this, Maybe this is just a good offensive team. I'm just gonna like read off some stats here for the Tigers. This is in American League rankings.
Speaker 3: What do you want? You want?
Speaker 1: Ops? The Tigers are second in the American League in ops?
Speaker 3: What do you want you want?
Speaker 1: The walks they are What about home runs they are fourth? You know, what about run scoring in general? They are fourth. Like there's there's a lot of avenues you can go and a lot of them. Had the Tigers near the top of the American League when it comes to just raw offensive output. So like as tentative as we have have been, maybe to like embrace it and then as bad as it was, like because we always use the.
Speaker 3: June one sort of like timestamp.
Speaker 1: As bad as it was, maybe it's just time to accept Cody, this is.
Speaker 3: A good offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I think they've jumped from like eighteenth to tenth in ops in like five days, and that was before an eleven zero wins, So that really speaks to how good it has been in the past week. Yeah, even just a few days ago they were still rinked below average. Now they're a top ten offense in the league. That really speaks to how good they have been since that magical June first date. They have been consistently hitting the ball really, really well. They've done it against some good pitching. They did it today against Bryce Miller, a pitcher who had historically shut them down, and there are signs that this offense could be getting better adding a player like Max Clerk. Even though Javier Bays is not really an offensive force anymore, he is arguably better than some of the guys they were forced to roll out at other points in the season, the balls leaving some the yard. You have some guys, you know, Riley Green's probably not even really playing his best right now, although he did hit another one out of the Park in this series. So yeah, I don't know. Sometimes it still doesn't on paper, doesn't feel like that good of an offense. But when you have Kevin McGonagall, when you have Dylan Dingler, you still have Riley Green. The power of this team, the ability to change the scoreboard has really reached a different level than we've seen in many years here in Detroit, and the fact they've been able to sustain that for an elongated period of time is really encouraging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I would even say, like a day like today when you you get out to the early lead and and and you have like what was a ten eleven straight at bats, and you know, recorded outs or whatever, so you know, it's not really pretty in the middle, but then you still kind of apply the pressure. You still you know, you don't kind of abandon your approach, and and you and you blow the game wide open, and then even kind of tack on some stuff with the position player pitching, So like overall, like it's it. That's what a good that's what a good offense does. You You take advantage of a pitcher who's maybe not as sharp as he normally is, you're aggressive, you get runs on the board, yeah, he settles in, Yeah, you're not you know, you know, not performing like you were early in the game, and then you still kind of keep the pressure on and go ahead and get insurance runs this and Lord knows, this is something that's something that this team is gonna need a lot more often than not, given where weaknesses are, which we all know what those are. Speaking of, where are the weaknesses? Dylan Dingler, Cody, Dylan Dingler?
Speaker 3: Does it exist?
Speaker 1: If someone would like to point something out, I'd love to see it the midst of a historic season.
Speaker 3: We've talked about it before.
Speaker 1: I loved this quote from AJ to you guys in the post game scrum where he's just like it's hard to continue saying the same things about him.
Speaker 3: It was like us AJ lockstep baby.
Speaker 1: Because I feel the exact same way home runs in every game of this series. He's approaching the thirty home run mark. Like I was trying to figure out, like, what's the most impressive thing about Dylan Dingler, and I think I just came across the simple fact is this guy is a no days off guy because he's so good and if you would not know it based on how he is when he's behind the play how he plays, and then when he's in the in the box, like how he hits, you would never guess that. Like, this is a guy that the Tigers just cannot afford to not put in the lineup because he just delivers over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been pretty remarkable. It's like when we were talking about Troy Melton in our last episode, how sometimes these guys don't get credit until all of a sudden they do. I remember I was here in Seattle in this ballpark last year for the postseason, and the day before the ds I wrote a story about Dylan Dingler kind of being like, hey, cal Raley's not the only good catcher in this series. I remember that, and and yeah you should have heard that. I think there was Netter Who's like, a, do we really need to write this? Like is anyone going to read about this guy? Was like, I don't know if they're going to read it, but I think it should be said. You know, I think it should be out there. I think it should be known. And so here we are now, right, and I still think Dingler's people probably know who he is. Now he has the gold glove? Is he getting the level of attention he should be for having a terrific season from a catcher for a Flaherty tweeted after the game, belonging in a certain conversation. I mean, I think even locally, even those of us who watch every day, it's kind of crazy to, you know, pull up the war tab and see, oh, Dylan Dingler's second among all American League players. Know he is firmly in the MVP conversation. Even if Jordon Alvarez is leading all three Triple Crown categories right now, Like if Jordon falls off at all, guess who was right there knocking on the door, and guess who is probably is. It's going to be soon. I get that message from like an editor, Hey, we were written about this dilly guy. And that's just how these things work when you work for a bigger national outlet, right. I think a bigger level of acclaim and attention is coming soon and is well deserved because he has been so good, so consistent. The ability to consistently hit for power has just been kind of baffling, again, especially for a guy who was, even though he was always a well liked prospect, was never really build to be vi. You know, there was a lot of work, a lot of improvement on his own that went into it. It's hard to even get him to talk about it. We were asking about after the game and he just kind of shrugged and said like two words. Then off camera he basically said, yeah, I like that. I don't I don't know. I don't know how to talk about myself. And that's one of the endearing things about Dylan Tingler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the many endearing things about Dylan Tingler. So look forward to continuing to see him climb up the ranks. In that certain conversation, and I will say the fact that he did not start the All Star Game. I know we're backtracking a little bit, but the fact that he did not start the All Star Game to me tells me, yeah, like more people need to recognize. So I'll just leave it at that, all right, Cody, I gotta tell you something. I am looking for the best deal on tickets for Max Clark's Camerica Park debut, which is why I want to give the sponsor of today's video, seek Geek a huge shout out. With over thirty five million download sea Geek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listed on sea Geek, including concert, sports, festivals, and more. Sea Geek has your back, by the way, they got everything. MLB season Playoff push where we're riding the thick of it, NFL is right around the corner, NHL schedules out, NBA coming out here pretty soon. And with sea Geek being MLB's official ticket marketingplace, your tickets are fully guaranteed and instantly fulfilling your account after purchase. Seekeek has your Back. Each ticket is rated on a scale of on the ten, so you know you're getting a good deal, so look for the green dots. Green means good, red means bad. Plus every ticket is backed by their buyer guarantee. And of course I have a deal for you guys. You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off any MLB tickets on the Sea Geek Gap. That is, code Territory ten for ten percent off any MLB tickets on the sea geek Gap. Make sure you click the link in the description, download the app, and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 3: Thank you, See Geek. All right, let's go to Wednesday's game Cody, because.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, this great series, we got to talk a little bit, I guess about the things that didn't go right, and that one was a pitcher's duel there at the beginning, Drew Anderson makes his first start of the season as a member of the rotation. He goes, what three point two three hits, has a walk in there as they try to stretch him out. And really this game will be known for as like a continuation of Tigers Mariners.
Speaker 3: Shnanigans. I think it would be a it would be a way to put it.
Speaker 1: We obviously remember the Naylor play earlier in the year and then even last year in the playoffs again involving Naylor with the fake signals and just everything that went into that five game series. I get, you know, there's a whirl where this becomes somewhat of a rivalry here for the next several years. That's getting ahead of ourselves, but I wouldn't mind it.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: Torres gets thrown at, there's a suspension or a couple of suspensions and ejections, anything there that's lingering or is that just kind of like that specific Aainstus was just kind of like baseball heated at the moment, we just got to move on.
Speaker 2: Hard to say, I mean, it seemed over and done Thursday, But then again, Josh Naylor wasn't in the lineup, neither was Cal Raley. If these two teams were, by some twist of fate to meet again in the postseason, I'm not sure. Or could this even carry over to next year, I don't know. It might Tigers Mariners has certainly become a little bit chippy. You guys probably saw the video. I don't know if Glaber actually told Cal at least I have hits, or if that's just what the amateur lip readers.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 2: I think he said it is funny. Talking to Glaber after the game, he played the nice guy role. He said he went up to Cal before they get bad and asked him how he was doing, so he knows how much it sucks to get hit. And then when Glaber got hit, he said, all I told Cal was, hey, there were two strikes. When Dajesus hit you, it wasn't on purpose. For as much as the benches, I was surprised the benches cleared because it never really looked to me like Glaber and Cal were gonna come to blows and even though you know, then everyone pours out of the dog out and poor Kinley Jansen has to jog all the way in from the bulpit, and AJ's kind of there in the middle of it, but nothing was really happening, so it just kind of seemed silly. I mean, Spire definitely took two shots at Glaber Torres, which is a great way to get a suspension. I think maybe if you didn't hit him the first time, you just said, okay and move, I'll walk back in on the bat here. Is that really worth three games? I know he's appealing it, but come on, so yeah, I mean, schippy chippy for sure. And that's just how the game goes sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and well, hell how the game goes sometimes. That's how you probably describe what was kind of the I mean, it was the go ahead play of the game. Hulo Rodriez, Homer's up, Brennan Hannifee there comes in to replace Tyler Holton, and it's for everything, clicking on all cylinders and AJ and the Tigers and you know, just finding the right uh right buttons to push. That one was kind of a reminder of a lot that happened early in the season Cody, where it just seems like nothing was really working out, you know, and and Attilio. So I'm not like, you know Antulio Rodriguez, but it was kind of demoralizing and ultimately a deficit that the Tigers could not overcome in that situation.
Speaker 3: But did you did you understand the Hannafee moved there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did. In the moment, I was like, really, like, you're gonna walk King Zone to face Julio, Like, I don't care, like you're gonna You're gonna walk the guy to face Julio Rodriguez. That's pretty tough to justify. And then I don't know, I went and looked at the numbers. Julio was just not being good against righty's this year, six ninety four ops. Uh, whereas dominic kin Zone has been a terrific hitter. An eighty eight ops against right handed batters. Is the second time this has happened. I don't remember who the opponent was, but someone else walked can Zone and faced cal Raley and what did cal Raley do? Cal Rawley has not had a good year, went Yard, so dom Canzone emerging as a real legit hitter has altered the complexion of the Mariners lineup, and it's it's clearly giving other teams some difficult decisions, you know, scrolling on X it seems like it. Well, even as I just unpack it, I think AJ's only real other option there would be to roll with Tyler Houlton. Tyler Holton has not been good against righty's this year, so Holton against a Rose arena is not a very good matchup. I guess you could walk a ros arena and have Holton pitch to can zone, but you're giving the Mariners a free base runner. When AJ brought in Hanify, he was trying to end that inning with nobody on base. And this is really how AJ has managed game since his first year here. He likes to have a pocket of three hitters and he likes to have the advantage against two of them, So that's what he was doing. It's really not out of line with anything he has ever done. What is out of line with things he's normally done is his bullpen is terrible and he really has very right handed options. So if you ask me what I think, I don't know. Man Brendan Hanify has just not been very good lately. He's a sinkerballer who suddenly has been watching sinkers leave the yard. He got a Rose Raine in a two strike count. He threw an OK pitch inside sinker but just wasn't enough or Rose Raino was on it. You make the decision to walk can zone, like, I know the optics aren't great, but you can't be afraid of a guy like Julio just because he's a big name on paper. Right now, Julio Rodriguez is not that great against Righty's so I don't blame aj for that. It's a reflection of what has been a problem and what I unfortunately predicted would be a problem starting Drew Anderson when he's not all the way stretched out, like you have to cover more innings with this bullpen, and that came back to by the Tigers. It's not really a problem. They have a great solution to going forward. We saw handaf he pitch again Thursday, which seems to me like he's probably heading out when they activate Jackson jobs. So maybe we'll be seeing more of Yilbar Diaz, who to his credit at least throws pretty hard. I don't know if he can throw strikes at all. He really never has even in the minor leagues. But we may be seeing some more yielbar Diaz, if he can get in the zone at least see some intriguing traits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the traits of this team are I would say. We talked about the offense earlier, like top level offense and a lot of categories. I would say exciting, starting pitching options for the most part, and those are the two things that you have to kind of hope enough working unison to curb the weakness that is your bullpen and the options that AJ has to go to the pen. One of the ways that you do that is do what Fromber did today. So I would put myself in the category of of somebody who's been hard on Fromber because I hold him to the standard of which he came to this team, right. And he had the start in Sacramento where he, you know, one of his best his best ball, scattered nine hits, gave up two runs, but he went seven innings all right, six k's two walks today. He was awesome, and I I really liked that they stuck with the curveball. I agree with Dan Dickerson that that is a weapon that you can use, particularly against Rioty's to back door. Like I do think that unlocks a whole other version of Fromber. And like it was, he might have gone like six or seven six seven, He might have gone six or seven straight without throwing that first strike, but they stuck with it and it came up huge, and it's and and and uh in a couple of situations, including against Julio Rodriguez speaking uh speaking of him, so like I we got to give Fromber a lot of credit because he stepped up in ways these past two starts that we have been looking for him to do.
Speaker 3: Given and now you're like the number one guy.
Speaker 1: So his first start, as quote the number one guy, he goes seven scoreless and rather efficient too. I would say, uh, you know for Fromber there, and you know, I would say even with that, Julio, he was down three to zero in that count. I want to make mention of that, and got him to ground out to end the ending. That was after getting the cal zone looking strike on a sinker that froze him. That was after a Federal Mountain visit. So like when things could have still been dicey Fromber locked in and and that version of Fromber is gonna be a huge asset for this team moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, credit credit to him for a really nice outing. He wouldn't quite admit it after the game, but I think he knows that he kind of has to answer the call with Casey May's gone and with Terrek Scugle gone. That's very much what he did Thursday, not just the good outing, but like you kind of point out being pitch efficient and going seven innings again with the state of the bullpen, like that is important for a guy like from er Valdez to go takedown innings from now to the rest of the season. Maybe even if he doesn't have his best stuff, they need this guy going six or seven innings every time, you know, there were he only had four swings and misses all day. Zero won his sinker, So I actually don't love that. I mean, he's not a strikeout guy by nature, but you got to have a little more whift than that. However, his command just seemed a lot more precise than it has. He was able to spot the sinker pretty well for the most part, really spotted the curveball well at the bottom of the zone and below, so that that was impressive. I think that is as crisp as we have seen him in a long time. He looked confident in what he was doing with his pitches. Dylan Dingler called a really good game. Being in a little better command of the sinker. I think opened up a lot of other options for him, almost allowed him to go to that curveball more often. That is a lot closer to the version of from Rivaldez that we would like to see.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of versions, let's uh, let's let's look forward to Saturday a little bit, Cody.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know the Tigers we mentioned like are they are people recognizing it as much as they should? Well, Saturday is kind of a big day because the Tigers are going to be on Fox, the national broadcast game, and we're gonna see the season debut of one Jackson Joe, so talk about must see TV right and and so like you mentioned jer Anderson there, you know, going going into the fourth inning, not being able to get out of the fourth inning, uh from Berg, but the seven ning.
Speaker 3: Start, what do we what's an expectation for for Jackson? Job here?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: As he as he makes his season debut on the road.
Speaker 2: Who I think It's hard to set expectations for a twenty four year old who still has not pitched that much in the big leagues but has some of the objectively the most electric stuff out of any pitcher alive. Uh and yet is fresh off Tommy John surgery. I don't know. It sounds like they're going to be, you know, take it easy on him. He's I don't know what his pitch limit is or what they might have in mind, but I you know, if he could go four innings and look nasty and punch everyone out, that'd be pretty good. That might be a little bit unfair given the circumstance. What I want to see out of jackson job is to get swing and miss for hitters, not scrush his fastball. It's hard to ask for like progress when he just hasn't pitched in so long, but some of the things that were holding him back previously, you know, I want to see signs of progress in that area. But then he realize his fresh off surgery man, So I don't know. If he can command the ball land his secondary pitches, that's better than a lot of guys do this soon out of TJ. He's only about fourteen months removed from the procedure. I think it's hard to set expectations. I just know that when he's on, he's a really fun pitcher to watch who was only scratching the surface of what he can be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, like depending on how he looks and how he does like that further shapes sort of like the expectations that you can kind of put on this team and what kind of asset he will be just you.
Speaker 3: Know, for this year.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So I want to remind you guys that we are sponsored by Fox one and you can download the Fox one app to stream Major League Baseball. And got me thinking, Cody, the Tigers have some fun guys to watch. We obviously do it on a daily basis. Now everybody can watch every team. I understand that. So I figured, why don't we take this opportunity to kind of like make like a top three, top five list about who are the the must watch Tigs and again must watch It's not.
Speaker 3: Necessarily who's the best, all right, Like.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit different. So I wrote down some names. Uh, I'm still gonna stick with I'll just read a list off real quick. This is kind of off the top of the noggings. I want it to be a little bit instinctual. I'm gonna go with Hovey one, Gonegle.
Speaker 3: Two, Dingler three.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna throw a curveball in here for you, Drew Summers four and Max Clark five.
Speaker 2: It wasn't expecting Drew Summers on the yeah must watch Tigers list that is interesting.
Speaker 3: Must watch because it's entertaining.
Speaker 1: You gotta you got a guys, you know, let's be honest, gotta gotta a funky looking delivery, and you just it's either gonna be like really in the zone or it's gonna be ugly. I can't look away whenever he's on the mound, you know what I'm saying. And then Max Clark kind of you know, he is most see because he's one of the best prospects in baseball. I wanted to put him on there. Plus you know, he's uh, he's got the flare and the style and the tats and all that stuff. And and Hobby being one man, Hobby still must must see because you just never know, something could always happen with Hobby on a daily basis.
Speaker 3: And then you sandwich those in with.
Speaker 1: Two top you know, five plus or whatever War players in Dingler McGonagall. So that's that's my instinctual top five musty tigs list.
Speaker 2: What do you think I like that? Well, I'd go Max Quark one because he's the shiny new toy literally shiny with the chains and everything, a big persona, and also just a really interesting fun player. He's fast, he's just really impressed me in center fields so far, been a lot better than the last time I had laid eyes on him, and even the scouts I had talked to throughout the year, seems like he's made big strides in a minimal amount of time. So he's been fun to watch so far. We'll see he's had some really good moments at the place and really patient at bats. Also had a few ugly strikeouts, so you know, how will he handle his third major league series. Kevin McGonagall one of the best young players in the league. He's you know, his game just isn't loud. It's just it's almost kind of it's not quiet either, because he's always doing something. It's just kind of consistently doing small, productive things. Then you look up and he's a five war player at age twenty one. It's amazing. Dylan Dingler, We've talked about it, put himself in the MVP conversation Jackson job Electric gotta watch this kid. Hobby Bayez is still Hobby bay As And then it's pretty interesting to have a list of much was much must watch tigs in a three time All Star isn't on there, So I'm gonna put Riley Green on this list in some form or fashion. It is interesting because he's not really dynamic. I mean, he's not fast, he runs goofy. Sometimes he can even be frustrating. But this guy is a professional hitter to the point that he's almost getting taken for granted, like he's become kind of boring. And I almost mean that as a compliment, because whatever's going on, Riley Green's probably you're gonna look up and Riley Green is gonna be posting some numbers. It's still a massive force in this lineup, and nothing about his game right now is necessarily sexy. But I don't know, dude, he still hits the ball out of the ballpark a lot. I almost think it's a good thing about this team now that they're cultivating kind of these exciting and interesting players and also just have some solid, reliable, legit dudes like like a Riley Green to go along with the Max Clerks, the Kevin mcgonagles, even the hobby buyers of the world.
Speaker 1: I'll give honorable mentions to Colt Keith, who might be key killing the ball lately, but low key might be the most fun guy to watch from the bases when he's you know, going an extra base now like it's it's a lot of fun to see see a guy his size move that quickly. And then honorable mentioned cater Montero when he's got that curveball working. You know what I mean, He's he's and he's feeling himself a little bit. He's he can't take your eyes off him either. So MLB on Fox is streaming on Fox. Won the Race of October starts. Now we have your front row seat to the wildest walkoffs, lights out pitching, and clutch plays all season long. Follow every can't miss matchup as team's battle first bat in the postseason. Then stream the twenty twenty six Worldsies live on Fox one at home or on the go live or on demand.
Speaker 3: Never miss a moment.
Speaker 1: Stream Now start your Fox one three day free trial today at foxone dot Com. All right, coming back here, Cody, I wanted to include like a little bit of an update.
Speaker 3: We might.
Speaker 1: Not soon but not far away be seeing Wentzel Perez maybe potentially. I mean, the fact that he's like gonna be playing baseball, I feel like is encouraging, and uh, you know, just in general for the fact that they had this freaky accident and that like if he could come back this season, I think that's great in general, but uh, you know, somebody who's versatility and switch hitting probably could be an asset to this team, you know as they go down the stretch. Any any any uh and more information about Wentzel and regarding like what what his process is as he nears the end of a sixty daystin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not a ton on other than you're right, it's great to see him play baseball after such a scary eye injury. You know'll be refractured or orbal the bone. I wasn't sure we would see Winsle again this season, but sounds like he's made great progress. He was supposed to play in Lakeland, a game got ringed out. He had to go up to Detroit for a scheduled follow up with the the eye doctors. Then they send him Toledo, and I believe that game got rained out, so I just got to get this guy on the field. He does have ten days and nine as of when this episode runs that he has to stay on the sixty day IL before he's eligible to be activated. So he's gonna get plenty of playing time down there in the minor leagues, and we'll see how it goes. Certainly, it seems like there could be a roster spot waiting for him and as soon as nine days if the Tigers team he is ready. Obviously, James Outman still is on this roster, and I don't know, speculate too much because who knows what could happen between now and then. But right now, Outman's pretty much just a defensive replacement. So what it wouldn't shock me if if Winsle were to get in there sooner rather than later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well maybe that's that's the other expression, Cody. The comeback Tigs is they are coming back. They've been coming back this whole season ever since that that dip there, I would say dive actually in May, and then you know, slowly getting some guys back from injury and and just kind of seeing what happens, seeing what they can do, and we will recap this all. We will have our first episode next week on Tuesday mornings, a little bit of a programming th that's obviously the beginning of a pivotal Cleveland series. So we will recapped the San Francisco series, the West Coast road trip overall, and then dive into a pretty important stretch for the Tigers.
Speaker 3: So hope you guys can follow along at Cody Stavenhagen.
Speaker 1: I am at Kieran Underscore Stecley pod page, at Tiger Territory, Unscore, YouTube, Apple, Spotify, you guys know what to do. We appreciate all of you, So for Cody Stavenhagen, I'm Kieran Steckley. Everybody, have great day.