Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's America's only source for news.
Speaker 1: This is The Daily Show with your host Michael Tuft. WHOA Yes, Welcome to the Brow Show. I'm Michael Toska. We have so much to talk about tonight.
Speaker 2: The Olympics has big dick energy, conservatives are finally interested in women's sports, and RFK Junior just lost his endorsement from Smokey Bear.
Speaker 1: Let's get into the headlines.
Speaker 2: Let's get things off with the Olympics, a gathering of the world's greatest as fleets and also some people who own horses. Now, I've been super interested in these Olympics, mostly because I bet my daughter's college tuition on mixed doubles badminton. But it's fine, She's not really an academic kid, to be honest with you. So so far it's been incredible. Now, not the badminton, that's a stupid sport, but the real sports, like the men's one hundred meters finals were on Sunday, where American Noah Lyles got the gold medal by five thousands of a second. Yeah, do you realize how little time that is that's five thousands of a second. I just said it. Pay attention. This was the closest finish in over forty years. And I don't want to take anything away from Noah Lyles, but isn't this a tie? I mean, what do we even have ties for if we're not going to pull it out for stuff like this. I mean, in fact, if you were watching this with just your eyes, all these guys finished at the same time. If these guys were trains, no one would say my train was late. Right. Another Olympic moment getting a lot of attention is the pole vaulter who knocked the bar over.
Speaker 1: With his large penis.
Speaker 2: Now, if you haven't heard about this story, do not google penis Olympics will That'll take you to the wrong website.
Speaker 1: What can I say? I like to do my own research, But.
Speaker 2: You also don't really need to google it, because that's the whole story.
Speaker 1: A pole vaulter lost when his giant schlong.
Speaker 2: Got hot on the crossbar, and according to the rules of pole vaulting, you're allowed to touch the crossbar, but you're not allowed to fuck it.
Speaker 1: So he lost.
Speaker 2: But this has gotta be the best possible way to lose you know, yeah, I would have won if it weren't for this damn massive had In fact, this is the only event where the guy who won probably felt bad, like, hey, you know, my dick is good too. I will say next Olympics, this guy should compete in the one hundred meters.
Speaker 1: He'd win from ten feet back.
Speaker 2: Oh look, oh, everyone loves a good whole vaulting dick joke. But look to this athlete. And I know this is tough, but I'll say to you what I say to the little league team I coach. It's not whether you win or lose, it's how gigantic everyone knows your penis is. But the biggest story so far is about Algerian boxer Iman Khalif, who's been doing a great job in the women's boxing tournament.
Speaker 1: Some people would say too good.
Speaker 3: Some critics questioning whether he Leif should have been allowed to compete in that ring at all, and claiming that Klif is a man or transgender, something IOC officials have emphatically denied.
Speaker 4: Algerian boxer was born female, was registered female, lived her life as a female, boxed as a female, has a female possible. This is not a transgender case.
Speaker 1: Seems pretty open and shut to me.
Speaker 2: Right, she was born a woman, lives as a woman, and boxes other women.
Speaker 1: So what is the argument against that? This is such an outrage? Look at this. This is a man.
Speaker 5: This is a man who is competing in the boxing tournament for women.
Speaker 1: No, she's not. She's a woman.
Speaker 2: She's a woman like you, Megan Kelly, a woman at the peak of her career.
Speaker 1: Unlike Megan Kelly.
Speaker 2: But she she still is a woman.
Speaker 5: You easily could just say, listen, you could only fight and compete in the gender.
Speaker 1: In which you were born. Those are just the rules, end of story. Forget a ending.
Speaker 2: Okay, but those rules would still let her box with women, because again, she's a woman. She's fought as a woman her whole life. She's even lost to other female boxers nine times.
Speaker 1: What more do you want?
Speaker 2: Does Fox News need the ghost of Roger Ales to sexually harass her?
Speaker 1: First, she's a woman.
Speaker 6: Okay, looks like a duck, wax like a duck, walks like a duck, and punches like a duck.
Speaker 7: I think it's a duck, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, look, so she's not a duck. Okay, she's a woman.
Speaker 2: You're not making me question whether I know what a woman is. You're making me question whether you know what a.
Speaker 1: Duck is.
Speaker 2: Because again, this female boxer is female. Can we stop this before America turns into a presidential campaign issue?
Speaker 7: The far left wants to allow biological males to beat the living crap out of woman in boxing?
Speaker 2: Is that really what this race is going to be about? Jd Vance is going to be on the campaign trail. Like you know, when I was growing up in the haller, the one thing we cared about was international women's boxing regulations.
Speaker 1: By the way, if.
Speaker 2: Conservatives are so concerned with women's safety, maybe can consider caring about it outside of sports. There are women, There are women in America who are like, help me, I'm having an ectopic pregnancy, and conservatives they're like, shut up, we're trying to protect women over here.
Speaker 1: Look, guys, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sorry, this elite athlete does not look the way you think a woman should look. But a woman is allowed to be dominating and powerful at a sport without you questioning her gender because don't forget these guys. Don't forget these guys dragged her, an Algerian female boxer, into their American conservative culture work and if they're gonna use her as a metaphorical punching bag, the least they can do is step into the ring and.
Speaker 1: Let her use them as a literal punching back. I bet they weren't even laugh aloud.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move on to the presidential race. Kamala Harris is set to announce her running mate at any moment, and to balance out the ticket, it'll most likely be a white guy like Josh Shapiro, Tim Walls or the pole vaulter dude with the penis. But let's put that beast to use breaking the glass sailing. If you guys love a pull vault vic Joe huh yeah. Meanwhile, Donald Trump has backed out of the September debate he had previously agreed on and is now saying, well, only debate Kamala if it's in a pact arena moderated.
Speaker 1: By Fox News.
Speaker 2: Also, at any point in the debate, he gets to call the cops on her for loitering. Also, it's not a debate, it's golf. But look, I'm actually sympathetic to Trump. Don't forget he agreed to this debate against Joe Biden. If I agreed to wrestle an old man and then at the last second he taps in a younger opponent whose knees actually work.
Speaker 1: I might also object, but look.
Speaker 2: Wrangling over a debate choosing a VP candidate.
Speaker 1: These are our normal campaign stories.
Speaker 2: And since this race has already been so crazy with Trump getting shot, Biden dropping out, jd Vance being jd Vance, I'm just glad that we finally have a normal presidential race with normal presidential stories.
Speaker 8: Right breaking overnight, RFK Junior confesses to leaving a dead bear cub in Central Park. Why he said he did not have the time to skin and eat it?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: What's worse that RFK Junior dumped a dead bear cub in Central Park that he said he only did it because he didn't have time to eat it.
Speaker 1: Let me just back up here.
Speaker 2: This happened back in twenty fourteen, and I remember when they found that dead bear, because you find dead bodies in Central Park all the time, but.
Speaker 1: They're usually tourists, so nobody cares.
Speaker 2: But but a bear, now that's memorable A decade ago?
Speaker 7: Is Central Park mystery baffled New Yorkers captured headline across the country.
Speaker 5: Please now want to know how the bear died and how it got into the park.
Speaker 1: Now we know. Robert F.
Speaker 7: Kennedy Junior, the Independent presidential candidate, says he brought the dead bear to Central Park. In the videotaped confession, Kennedy recounts the strange tale to controversial comedian Roseanne Barr.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry he's admitting this to Roseanne Barr in a kitchen over a plate of flintstone ribs.
Speaker 1: I mean, what has happened?
Speaker 2: Does he think it will sound more normal if he's telling it to a crazy person.
Speaker 1: You know, let's not judge him too fast.
Speaker 2: Let's hear him tell Roseanne Barr how he ended up dumping a dead bear cub in Central Park.
Speaker 1: I was staying in a.
Speaker 9: Group of people of Incosi into York Und Valley.
Speaker 1: Great start.
Speaker 2: I was out falconing with my friends. So far, very relatable story.
Speaker 9: Woman in front of me hit him bear and killed it, a young bear. So I pulled over and I picked up the bear and put him in the back of my van because I was going to skin the bear, and it was very good condition and I was just going to end and with the meat my refrigerator, and you can do that in New York. Say you can get a bear a tag for a road killed bear.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You saw Paddington get t boned and your first thought was pause the falconing. We got to get that bear in this car to skin and eat it, which, for some reason I know is legal in the state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that tracks that track. Sorry, I keep going.
Speaker 9: We had a really good day and we went late. We were catching a lot of game, and instead of going back to my home in Westchester, I had to go right to the city because there was a dinner I had Peter Luger Steakhouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's just do a quick recap.
Speaker 2: All right, he already spent all day hunting game with falcon He's on his way to eat a steak, which is a dead cow. But on the way he had to stop and pick up a dead bear. And this is the environmental candidate. Oh and by the way, and by the way, Peter Luger's steakhouse.
Speaker 1: It's a fancy steakhouse.
Speaker 2: It's not a place where people pull up to the valet with the bear cubs hang out of the backseat. Hey, here's the keys. Don't steal the rotting bear. I'm gonna eat that.
Speaker 9: And at the end of the dinner, it went late and I realized I couldn't go home. I'd go to the airport, and the bear was in my car and I didn't want to leave the bear in the car.
Speaker 1: That would have been bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I mean, do you and why your car to smell like rotting bear?
Speaker 1: Then people might think you're a sociopath.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That still doesn't explain why he dumped it in Central Park.
Speaker 9: There's been a series of bicycle accidents New York Day put in the bike lanes and so people, a couple of people are kind of killed. And it was every day, and people un badly injured every day. It was in the press, and I said, I am an old bike in my card. If somebody that is when you get rid of it, I said, let's go put the bear in Central Park and we'll make it look like.
Speaker 2: Oh, ha ha ha, you were making a joke about all the people killed by bicycles.
Speaker 1: Ha ha ha.
Speaker 2: Roseanne gets it, don't you, Roseanne? Can you imagine how weird you have to be for Roseanne to look at you like you're crazy? Honestly, I feel bad for her. She probably thought she was doing a cameo on the bear. None of this story makes sense if he was late to the airport. You don't drive into the heart of Manhattan to dump a dead bear. You dump it in the East River, and or you just bring it on the airplane. You call your emotional support, bear carcass go let it on.
Speaker 1: Look.
Speaker 2: I will say this, I am one of those people who hates the two party system, but if this is the candidate of the third party, I say, screw it.
Speaker 1: Let's just have a king.
Speaker 2: For more on this extremely strange story. Let's go out to RFK headquarters with Desi Leideck. This is a really disturbing story RFK told.
Speaker 5: Actually consta the campaign is feeling quite confident about how RFK handled this potential pr crisis. It's like he saw a story by the side of the road and said, I can make a meal.
Speaker 1: Out of this. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So RFK thinks that filming that video with Roseannebart was a good thing.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. By telling the story to a comedian, he transformed it from disturbing story to funny anecdote. And word is he's sticking with that strategy going forward. In fact, I'm hearing that he just confessed that he was the diarrhea guy who did diarrhea on that diarrhea plane.
Speaker 2: Wait, that plane last year that landed because a guy had diarrhea all over the aisle.
Speaker 1: RFK was that guy. That's right, That's right.
Speaker 5: He just sat down in Rob Schneider's garage to tell him the story. See, he was falconing along the Hudson when he found a bunch of loose Deli meats by the river, and he was gonna throw it out, but he was running late, so he just ate all of it, jumped on the plane, and the rest is history. You know, a lot of people would be embarrassed, but RFK is just putting it all out there, just like he did on that plane.
Speaker 2: You know, this is a lot for the American people to process right after the Bear thing.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 5: But just wait until they hear about how he caused the BP oil spill in twenty ten.
Speaker 1: Deep Water Horizon. He caused that. Calm down.
Speaker 5: He just finished explaining it in Adam Carolla's gazebo. It's a funny story. See what happened was RFK was flamingoing upstate, and then he came across the lion giving birth. He wanted to collect the placenta and Mason jars for smoothies, but he had a train to catch in six and a half minutes.
Speaker 1: So what are you.
Speaker 2: Even talking about? These aren't cute, charming stories. They're bizarre and creepy.
Speaker 5: Oh well, you are not gonna like the twitch live stream he did from Kratop's Tomato guard.
Speaker 1: Oh my, what did he even talk about? Oh?
Speaker 5: Oh, this one's real fun. See what happened was RFK was swan tipping Upstaate. He worked up quite the appetite because those swans don't go down without a fight. So he scoured the local highway for food, but sadly, nothing adorable had been hit by a car. Then he realized he was already on a flight to Wuhan, where he then went to a wet market with no shoes on.
Speaker 2: Are you telling me RFK started the COVID pandemic by going bare foot in a wet market.
Speaker 5: Well, when you put it that way, it's much less money. I mean, you're not Roseanne?
Speaker 1: Does he link? Everyone?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 2: When we come back, we'll talk to Roxanne gang, don't go anywhere?
Speaker 1: Is that true? Welcome back to the Daily Show. My guest tonight is a.
Speaker 2: Best selling author, publisher, and a professor whose new ebook is called Stand Your Ground, a Black feminist reckoning with America's gun problem. Please welcome Roxanne Gay. Wow, All right, what what made you want to write this piece about guns?
Speaker 1: A lot of different things.
Speaker 6: But my brother was a big gun owner, very enthusiastic about guns, which was weird because nobody in my family cares about guns. And we were like, oh, where did this come from? And he kept trying to get my other brother and I to buy a gun, and we were like, huh no, we're good. And finally he broke us all down, and so I got my first gun. And one of the things I noticed at the gun store and at the gun range was that there were a lot of people of color, and black women in particular, And so I thought, why are black women buying guns?
Speaker 2: Other than the obvious, Well, why are black women buying guns?
Speaker 6: Black women, I think, are buying guns simply because we often recognize that if we don't protect ourselves, no one else will. A lot of times it's that we don't trust that the police will come to our homes and protect us. And in fact, Sonya Massey's murder recently bears that out among many others. And so I think it's not a form of empowerment, which I think is overused and cheesy, but it is a form of protection and recognizing that sometimes you have to take your own defense in your own hands.
Speaker 2: There's something beautiful about a bunch of white male forefathers two hundred and sixty years ago not envisioning black and brown people at the shooting range.
Speaker 1: I know, was it beautiful?
Speaker 8: Was that?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think that there's a lot to be said about the founders and their lack of vision. I mean people always talk about no, I mean, how much.
Speaker 1: Vision they have.
Speaker 2: You mentioned it in the essay that the Second Amendment wasn't written for black people.
Speaker 6: It wasn't written for black people, it wasn't written for women. They saw us as only three fifths of a person. So I guess we could only use three fifths of a musket. But now you know, if the Second Amendment applies to white men, it applies to all of us.
Speaker 1: And I you know, do you?
Speaker 2: I mean, what's fun about this essay is it's not you writing about people that own guns.
Speaker 1: You you bought a gun. I did.
Speaker 2: Back to your first gun, the Baretta was a little too big. Then you bought a different gun.
Speaker 6: So big, kind of like the pull vaulter, What can you do?
Speaker 1: What's it like buying a gun?
Speaker 2: I know that you know half the country's going to hear that question and laugh and like do you not? But there's a lot of people that don't. I have I even know how to buy a gun. What was it like buying a gun for you?
Speaker 6: Well, I live in California most of the time, and so it's kind of a pain.
Speaker 1: But it should be like it should be to buy a gun. To buy a gun, it's also a process.
Speaker 6: You have to take a little test, which is fine. It's like the driver's exam. You study the booklet in your car beforehand, and you fill out an application, you get a background check, and then ten days after you do all of that, you can pick up the gun, which I think is great. Take us some time. I really think through like do I really need this? Or am I angry?
Speaker 1: I mean, a gun destroys things.
Speaker 6: It does, it takes people's lives, It causes grievous injuries. You know, we talk a lot about the people who die from gun violence, but there are people whose lives are irrevocable, irrevocably changed because of really bad injuries, the loss of limbs, the loss of organs, and so you really have to think very carefully about why you would welcome a weapon like this into your home.
Speaker 1: But we don't have children.
Speaker 6: If we have children, it would be a complete nonstarter.
Speaker 2: Well, how did you, and maybe I'm asking selfishly, how did you or was it hard to convince your wife to have a gun in the house.
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Surprisingly, but that's another consideration consideration.
Speaker 6: If she said no, the answer would be no. But she's a lifelong New Yorker, so.
Speaker 1: She's not afraid of a good fight.
Speaker 2: And she's like, why I need a gun.
Speaker 1: I'm in New York. I'll do all. She doesn't need a gun at all.
Speaker 6: She doesn't even need her fists. She has a very capable mouth.
Speaker 8: What.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to leave that there. What has.
Speaker 2: What did you learn that maybe you weren't expecting about America's gun epidemic in this process?
Speaker 6: I learned so much and I think everyone, I mean, we read the statistics every single time. There is a horrific crime, and nothing ever changes. But there are more guns than people in this country nuts, which cannot possibly be the case, but yet it is. And only about thirty five percent of Americans own guns, which is to say that the people who own guns really really love their guns, and they own a whole lot of them. And that really surprised me, because when you listen to the NRA and other lobbyists talk about gun ownership, they really make it seem like everyone's kind of like walking around with a gun in their purse or in the back of their genes. And that's not the case, nor should it be, And yet that's what we hear that so many people own guns. Now, it's a choice that some people make, and yet those people get a disproportionate amount of our cultural attention.
Speaker 2: One thing that really resonated with me in the essay was when you went to the shooting range and you almost you were mentioning the shooting instructure. Raoul, I'm not how obsessed he was with safety.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I loved hearing that. Oh yeah, and I think so hardcore.
Speaker 2: But I mean, is this side of gun ownership isn't always told a lot of responsible gun owners are obsessed with safety.
Speaker 1: Share a little bit of that experience with you.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 6: When you hear about gun violence in general, it's irresponsible gun owners. It's people who don't know how to handle it properly. But before we even went to the range, we took some classes because we're nerds, and we sat in an actual classroom and he was like, here are the four rules of gun safety. Write it down, which I did, and it was really heartening to see that there is a responsible way to go about this, that you don't have to be casual, you don't have to be careless, and you can protect not only yourselves but the people in your household and also your community by being responsible and also you know, locking up your guns.
Speaker 1: Do you feel safer owning a gun?
Speaker 6: No, not really, but that's because I know what happens to legal gun ownership for black people when the police are involved. So well, not necessarily, but I do feel like I get a lot of death threats.
Speaker 1: That's what precipitates. Yeah, that's what I want.
Speaker 2: I mean, what you know, I have friends that say they own guns for defense of their home, and I kind of laugh. Because you live on ten acres, you don't even have a neighbor. But when you were describing in the book that you get true death threats and people threatening your wife, that's different.
Speaker 6: Now it's different, and it starts to get closer and closer to home. And as the threats became more and more specific, particularly during COVID, I just thought, man, am I going to sit around and wait for something to happen or not? But the thing that makes me feel most safest. We also got a dog during COVID, and he weighs nine pounds, yeah, and thinks he weighs ninety. And he lets us know when someone's even thinking about the house. And so that's actually what makes me feel safe. Like I don't know if I can stop something, but Max, our dog, Maximus Toretto Blueberry, he's absolutely going to let us know.
Speaker 2: I mean, in some states there's more regulations about dog adoption than getting a gun.
Speaker 6: Yes, right, And in some states women have more rights as gun owners than they do as women or people with uteruses.
Speaker 2: You know, you wrote that black gun ownership is definitely a political act. White gun ownership is generally taken as an inalienable right.
Speaker 6: Explain that to me, absolutely, we tend to look at the Bill of Rights almost of the Ten Commandments.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know they're getting close from clotheser.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know we treat those Bill of Rights as inalienable. But the further you get from a white, heterosexual, cisgender man, the more you have to fight for those rights, and the more you are considered sort of an anomaly when you choose to avail yourself of those rights. And I'm not the kind of person who's going to wrap myself in the Second Amendment. I think that no one should be able to own a gun, and if they want to come take it, like, feel free. But that said, as long as the right is there, I think there are many black gun owners who say why not. And some people are shooting enthusiasts. Some people are concerned with self defense and home protection, and there's room for all of that.
Speaker 1: We contain multitudes.
Speaker 2: I love in your essay you reminded all of us that the Second Amendment is twenty seven words.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 6: It is shocking given how often people talk about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of like, hey, guys, we need a little more clarity.
Speaker 1: You would think, would we be like a little more specific.
Speaker 6: But also in seventeen eighty seven when they were writing those twenty seven words, it must get took a long time to load, and it only shot one bullet at a time. I don't think that the founding fathers could have begun to imagine what that gun would become. And the fact that we decided collectively that we were okay with not regulating weapons of mass destruction is something that astonishes me every single day.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about stand your ground, and you know, you dive into it in the essay.
Speaker 2: It feels kind of actually when you start to think, oh, we actually put a law on the books that you're allowed to kill somebody. Should it you know, should it be more inclusive? Should it be taken off the books? I mean, what is a thought you have on standard ground?
Speaker 6: I think it should be more specific, and I think that if it applies to one person, it should apply to everyone. Like George Zimmerman used stan your ground as his excuse for killing Trayvon Martin, but Marissa Alexander also used stan your ground. She was a legal gun owner who shot in the air away from her former partner who was menacing her and against whom she had a restraining order and she spent five years in jail and house under house arrest because of that, and so when black people try to stand their ground in general, it is used against them, and so that's really what we have to change. But I also don't think we should be given carte blanche to take other people's lives.
Speaker 1: You have you painted well.
Speaker 2: You shared a lot of examples that I was unfamiliar with, and it's a great read. Kamala Harris, how you feeling, I'm feeling great as.
Speaker 1: As a black.
Speaker 2: Woman, as a feminist, as a gun owner.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that pertains, it actually doesn't protect.
Speaker 6: However, I think that I wasn't really advocating for Biden to step down, but I was excited when he did. I think that Vice President Harris is going to be a very interesting president. I think we have an opportunity. For so long we've been told we have to wait till twenty twenty four, four, twenty thirty two to twenty forty. Who knows for real political change. And even in the run up to Harris becoming the nominee, people were saying that she's not a viable candidate, like what about Gavin Newsome, what about Gretchen Whitmer, and so I think it is a real interesting moment to consider who is Kamala Harris and what kind of president would she be? And we don't just have to uncritically engage with her. I think we can ask her genuine political questions about where she stands on the major issues we're dealing with right now, whether it's Gaza, Ukraine, reproductive freedom here in the country, transgender rights, and it's a very long list, but I am encouraged. I think she's going to do the job extremely well. I don't think that she's going to make everyone happy, but I don't think that's possible for a president, and look at the alternative.
Speaker 1: Thank you for talking about us safety.
Speaker 2: The original ebook and audiobook Stranger Drab is available only on ever End. Roxanne Gay, we're gonna take a quick break of the wife back after day.
Speaker 5: Thank you for saying the start.
Speaker 1: That's our show for tonight.
Speaker 2: But before we go this election season, we're working with Headcount to make sure you and your friends are good to vote. Did you know that your friends are much more likely to vote when the ask comes from you, So if you get three friends to make sure they're ready, to vote, you can be entered to win a trip to New York City for a backstage experience on the set of The Daily Show. Take action now by texting TDS to five seven five six eight, or by going to the link below. Now Here it is your moment of zen.
Speaker 9: This one is so smart, so sharp.
Speaker 1: She grabbed me, she gave me a kiss. I said, I think I'm never going back home to the first lady.
Speaker 2: I ve.
Speaker 1: Us to keep that quiet.
Speaker 2: See now, for the average politician, that's death.
Speaker 1: For me, I don't care.
Speaker 7: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 1: Get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus Paramount Podcasts.