Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: True pleasure to fill in for the great Dan Patrick. Pleasure for us anyway now, Cavino, Rich, Fox Sports Radio President's Day and uh hey, first president to throw out a first pitch? You know who it is, George Bush to do a perfect strike? Was he the first to throw a strike?
Speaker 3: It was Taft because he was hanging out with Babe Ruth eating hot dogs.
Speaker 2: Bro very good, Danny G. Taft was the first president to start the tradition. I thought he was the first to eat hot dogs with bait with the babe.
Speaker 4: Did he also gets sticking a bet of the fat ass?
Speaker 3: A lot of first with Taft.
Speaker 4: Well, hey, it's President's Day. A lot of people have off.
Speaker 2: If you're stuck working today, either your boss hates your or make that double time or something right. Well, I hope you had a nice holiday weekend. Happy Valentine's Day weekend. Again. We're Covino and Rich at Covino and Rich coov I, n O Coveno and Rich Davis, and we're on two to four out here on the West Monday through Friday, five to seven on the East. We have a bonus podcast too called over promise that you could watch on Fox Sports Radio's YouTube page, but search it wherever you stream your podcast. Covino and rich Or over promised. We appreciate that. Rich to wrap up the first hour of trying to figure out why don't I care? Because you never want to feel like something's wrong with you. I think that's where it first starts, like is it me? Why don't I care the way other people seem to care? Does everybody not care? And then you go to social media, you run the X to see what other people are saying, and you realize, Wow, it seems like everybody's saying it sucked. Even the players, and Trey Young and Draymond Green are saying the All Star weekend suck. I think it comes down to again transitional stage. They're figuring it out. The game has changed. We have lots of options, but we also don't really invest in anything that feels like an exhibition. So when the players feel like they're not playing and they don't care, it's like the Pro Bowl, Like the NFL is still a great product. Did you care about the Pro Bowl?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Because they don't care. They're playing patty Cake, And that's kind of what happened with the NBA All Star Game. They don't seem to care, but really that much, even though Trey Young is like, yo, we want to play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's starting to happen with the NBA regular season, right.
Speaker 2: And when it starts to feel like an exhibition, like hey, do they even care, then it's hard.
Speaker 4: For you to care, you know, not not just All Star weekend.
Speaker 2: But you know, again, if if you didn't hear Draymond when you got one of the stars of the game talking about how he doesn't care, then.
Speaker 4: Then what are we doing here? Then you listen, you work.
Speaker 5: All year to be an All Star and you get to play up to forty and then you're done. This is so unfair to Victor win Miyama who just took this game really seriously, Shay Gilges Alexander who just took this game really seriously. When you talk about chasing after the points, Wreckers Mellow and Kobe and all these guys who've had great starring Knights, they don't get the opportunity to do that with this game. Also, we can watch some rising stars. Were about to watch the Olympic team. Now we get to treat of watching the Olympic team play against the U nineteen team.
Speaker 2: Come on, what are we doing all of one to ten?
Speaker 3: Your thoughts of the format ten being the best? Yes, A zero sucks.
Speaker 2: Zero suck. Thanks to Draymond for endorsing your own product. And Trey Young even said that, to be honest, I didn't like it at all as far as how it all panned out and worked over the weekend. And that's fine. You gotta take chances, got to figure it out. We're just again not complaining explaining.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Everyone, everyone has been trying to, you know, figure figure this out. Adam Silvers, you know, has a tough job of all the answers sort of being things that mean less money, meaning less games, maybe less playoff teams. Don't think those things will never happen because that just means less revenue. And then I asked, you, do we just need some NBA start to do something we've never seen, meaning the way Michael Jordan flew through the air or the way Steph Curry was hitting, you know, half court threes. Does a young player need to do something different in the game that no one's ever done before?
Speaker 4: But what's left?
Speaker 2: What's left? What could someone do that no one's ever done before. Thanks, think about that right NBA. By the way, DANYG, what were your thoughts? You're the resident Laker but hardcore NBA fans supporter.
Speaker 3: Did you call me a Lakers butt?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: Did you live Lakers? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But yes, yeah, I mean I'm you guys are casual NBA fans, so I'm more of a basketball fan than you guys are. I thought it was okay. I mean I would give it a five out of ten right now because they still got to work the kinks out. So I'm curious to see how it is laid out for next season and if some stars get their butts into the Slam Dunk contest, because that would change that. That's what as a little kid drew me to the league for All Star Weekend. I wanted to see high flying action. I wanted to see Dominique and Jordan and Spud Webb. And then a little bit later you're in New York, Knickerbocker, you know who I'm talking about with the windmill in the high top fade. There were so many great stars and then guys who turned out to be borderline stars because they were in some of these competitions. So I understand what Raymond's saying. But at the same time, Rich You've been ranting on we need to know who these youngsters are, and so they are getting some exposures. So we got to find a compromise here or something in the middle.
Speaker 2: I wonder if it's all ego based. I mean, and you're gonna be like, yeah, of course, it is, like, why aren't the stars participating in these contests? Well, nay. The story was Giannis and John rant were chirping on social media like, Yo, we gotta do this next year. I'm in if you're in.
Speaker 3: But it takes mac McClung winning a third time for them to react acting for them to get into this competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you're super casual, he's a G League star who the stat was kind of interesting over the weekend. He's made one hundred and thirty two thousand in his NBA career in his full NBA career since like twenty twenty one, one hundred and thirty two thousand, in his slam dunk earnings three hundred and ten thousand. That's insane that a guy that you know is a non factor in the NBA is the guy that you're three time dunk champion.
Speaker 4: It just seems it seems silly to me.
Speaker 2: That's all part of it, though, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he should at least get to come off the magic bench. You know, I was talking about that high top fade. Rich, you had one of those back when you lived in New York, like Kenny Skywalker.
Speaker 4: That was the haircut h the two lines in it. It's just it's wild to think that ego would keep all these guys out of it. Well, anyway, Covino on Rich Fox Sports Radio. Now before we get to.
Speaker 2: Danny G's boy, Lebron started that, before we get to a big birthday today in the world of sports and some baseball baseball starting up baseball seat up people are reporting to camp. I have a question, and it's more of a random hypothetical. I saw people debating this on social media. Do you find it acceptable? Well, you know, if everyone does their traveling, it's a holiday weekend, is it acceptable to climb over someone in the middle seat on a plane? What do you mean if you are supposed to use no if you're in the window seat, yeah, and a stranger is next to you in the middle seat, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And they're sleeping in the middle seat.
Speaker 2: Do you give them a little nudge like I'm waking up? Or do you try to do the I'm gonna climb over a stranger while they're sleeping. Well, yeah, you can do that. I try. You try to squeeze by without waking them up.
Speaker 3: That's when you hide with your jacket and you yurinate into a big.
Speaker 4: Is that what you do, Daddy?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I but there was a big debate on social media. I mean that's how this weekend was. You know, it was all NBA All Star at SNL fifty. But I did see people debating this, and I did wonder, can you climb over a stranger? Because think about that. Your options are either to wake the person up, You're you're saying, assuming they're sleeping, right, Yeah, of course if they wake the person up, or try to like shimmy by them. I think you're a school boy if you're like standing on the seat trying to like hurdle them. Yeah, you try to shimmy buy them or or wake them up. Those are your only options. Play it accordingly, man, Is it intrusive to that? Game must have been really boring If this is what people were debating, is it intrusive to like hover your body over a stranger that if they wake up and you're right over them. I mean, pet your dandy in the window seat, right, they're doing what you gotta do in that situation. If you in the middle seat, would you appreciate someone trying to climb over you or wake you up? Hey, dude, that's why you got the middle sea. That's why nobody wants it. That's like the price you pay snooze, you lose. Nobody wants the middle seat because of those reasons. Thought, I throw it out there something I saw over the weekend because people, it's a matter how limber and agile is that person trying to hurtle over you? Yeah? You know, is it some uh, some big hairy fella breathe my friends, Bartolo cologne? That's Jacke. Yeah, is this some hot little chippy and yoga pants? You know, give me the cio give me. I was like, straddle over me then yeah, if it's Bartolo Cologne. I'm a little like annoyed by throwing it out there. Now today the big birthday, the big birthday in the world of sports. I don't want you to.
Speaker 4: Feel too old but Michael Jordan turned sixty two today.
Speaker 2: MJ is sixty two. And there's two layers to this question. Layer one, is he the.
Speaker 4: Most popular forget athlete? Is he the most popular guy in the last fifty years on planet Earth? And then part two of the.
Speaker 2: Question, is it possible that in all sports baseball, basketball, football, tennis, hockey, you name it, will there ever be a brand bigger than the one created by Michael Jordan. Okay, you said in the last fifty years, that's nineteen seventy four, So the answer is going to have to be seventy five. The answer is going to have to be no to that, because I'm not talking about just sports, I'm talking about talking worldwide, right, So you have to pick an international sport that would probably be like a Ronaldo or even fighting, you know, a Mikeer Muhammad Ali, because it was at least international. NBA was not international. The brand is is now international and we all love it. But think of the movie with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. What was it called Air? Yeah, I mean I was in the eighties, so by the time it became an international monster, it was long past fifty years ago, or before fifty years. Yeah, I mean, I'm just saying I think give you said if you were to say nineteen seventy five to twenty twenty five, I'm not even talking with sports. I'm saying, on planet Earth, is there a more popular guy who said in the past fifty years, past fifty years, Muhammad Ali was past his prime. No, in seventy five, No, late seventies, he was just fighting in the eighties.
Speaker 4: So you think, so you think Muhammad Ali is the answer.
Speaker 2: Then I'm saying Jordan has surpassed all of that, But there has been other people internationally that were superstars and maybe just as big now with the sneaker brand, which I didn't have my first Jordan's until like eighty five, right, I was in like fifth sixth grade or something like that. Then it became an international thing. So there's been other people's my point, but you know, fast forward now, Yeah, your answer is dead on, spot on, And it seems like no one will ever be as big because the Jordan brand is so huge. But there has to be someone or something that comes along again and he's that next Jordan's. He's a lifetime, once in a lifetime kind of guy. But you know, once our lifetime is over. There'll be someone else. I don't know. And I say that because other athletes have had successful sneakers. You know lebron Kady Steph as Shack had his sneaker brand and still does. All these guys have successfully done it, but they all pale in comparison to the billion dollar industry.
Speaker 4: Is the Jordan branch of Nike and everything?
Speaker 3: So seven billion dollars. By the way, you got to.
Speaker 2: Ask yourself, is there a baseball player, if Otani or who's the face of baseball? You know?
Speaker 3: No, you think it would have to be an international star like our grandkid's gonna say, oh, I got my Otani's on.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 2: The world's a bigger place or a smaller place, I should say now, and it'll be a guy like Otani. I'm not saying it is Otani, but it'll be a guy like Otaniani is the new Babe Ruth. There's gonna be a new Jordan. Yeah, but Otani if he came out with his own line of cleats and batting gloves and all baseball gear, I don't think every little boy and girl will be like, I need my otanis. They also have to be fired too. It's a perfect storm. The Jordan's for kids. I know, the famous clip of David Letterman talking about how ugly they were? Are you serious about these things? Kids loved them. They were fire and they're legendary still we still wear the same ones from eighty four eighty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all Lettermen and that generation were used to were boring basic Converse.
Speaker 2: Right your white tennis sneaker, right, your basic Converse shoe. It's almost because Michael Jordan, and much like anything in all businesses, it's the person that takes the big chance that has the biggest payoff, him going with Nike, which at the time was like a you know, like a not failing but a pretty mid level running shoe company. By him doing that, maybe that's the perfect storm because on his sixty second birthday it is. And it also built to the allure and mystique and legend of Air Jordan that there were other basketball players that endorse sneakers, Converse and stuff like that. But is it just simply Michael Jordan was the first guy to really brand his own shoe to that level, and no one will ever compare, whether it's Steph or Lie Lebron's career could compare. People debate that till this day. Think about the sneaker. Think of all the sneakers that have debuted in the NBA, all the stars of the league. They have millions of kids buying their sneaker, but nothing compares to a Jordan. And like even in baseball, I've recently been buying a lot of equipment. My kids are getting more involved in their little league and stuff. Not to hi mind Jordan's career, but the shoe was fire, So that helped, right, It definitely helped, and it changed the game, and he marketed the hell out of it. The dude had gatorade, jingles and everything else. So, I mean Lebron's career rivals Jordan's his sneaker doesn't was Was Michael Jordan just the perfect guy at the perfect time and everything lined up like the fact that he was the most talented winner while at the same time also happened to be alive in a time where they took chance on Hey, maybe a basketball play with his own sneaker is a good idea. Was it just the perfect storm that no one will ever compete? Yeah, he also delivered. He was slamming from the foul line with the sneaker on. You know, so that also helps. Like, think about it. You think that Facebook and Instagram and TikTok, you think those are the only social media attempts. There's clearly other companies that were like, oh no, we'll be the next social media and see, everything's got to line up perfectly. And I think Michael Jordan on his sixty second birthday, you could argue, in the last fifty years, might be the most popular human on earth and no one will ever have a bigger sports brand. Think about it, Tennis, bowling, hockey, baseball, basketball. Is there ever gonna be a guy who sells billions of dollars of their logo? You know, it just sounds impossible, right, We're a blip on the radar the timeline of life. You don't think there is going to be some guy in thirty twenty five where again he surpasses that. I mean, you know maybe in our lifetime for sure. Ever, no, most popular in the last fifty years. Yeah, you know what that that's a great debate. I would say you're probably right because of the brand at this point. I mean, Tom Brady's a huge brand with TB twelve and everything he represents. Shack does a Shack does a million endorsements. Everybody knows the Jumpman logo, everybody knows the shoe internationally, you know, not everybody got to see him play, so the legacy still lives on. It's crazy perspective community. That would be like Joe Montana, right having a branded cleat or football equipment that till this day, people are still talking like, oh, Mahomes is wearing the Montanas like it. You know what I'm saying. It just seems ridiculous that these young stars, the Marinos, they their stars in their own regard, yet they're still wearing Jordan branded stuff.
Speaker 4: I just think he is. He's that one guy.
Speaker 2: And yeah, maybe our grandparents would say what Babe Ruth did for baseball, the fact that he was like a larger than life, almost cartoon character, the type of guy, the way they describe him, I think.
Speaker 4: Most popular in the past fifty years.
Speaker 2: I'll give you that one, right, I was just throwing out other names in the past fifty years internationally.
Speaker 4: He's say one hundred.
Speaker 2: Maybe Muhammad Ali is the only one that rivals them. No, because again we're thinking America based. It eventually became international with the shoe brand NBA. No one cared about internationally at that time, Right, can anyone compete? I'd have to say yeah, probably because of international celebrity now and superstars in the soccer game and even baseball, so I will say yeah, And I mean, obviously NBA it's an international sport now, so the opportunity for this to happen is there on a much larger scale. I would say, evnch. But again, it was a if you were trying to dissect, well how did that happen? It was a perfect store of austome. He delivered, he won, he was great, and no shoes were dope you needed, and they marketed it perfectly, like so everything. You could argue the same about a lot of things, like something as silly as Kelly Clarkson.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I saw a meme that said, we got American Idol right the first time. We didn't need the twenty five more seasons. Like to think about how she was the first winner of a singing reality show and you know, she's as big a star now as ever before. Sometimes it's the perfect storm of talent and timing and everything that I think it's hard to argue that anyone can anyone compete if if Ronaldo had some fire sneakers that translated internationally for everybody in casual use and where, but those guys all had their primarily and it didn't happen. I met that type of guy. Look at his social media following. You don't think someone with international fame like that could compete in the future. I do, but it would. They would be an Otani type and it would need he just needs a shoe. Covid would need to be a sporto that translates in the United States. Not that we dictate everything, but you can't call something the biggest in the world pop culture wise if it's not popular in the US and soccer fluteball just doesn't translate on that grand of scale where the NBA internationally is only getting bigger and bigger. So I think if Jordan's not the answer, I would love to hear who you think it is. At eight seven, seven nine nine on Fox on his sixty second birthday? Is Michael Jordan one of one? Essentially? It's amazing. Yeah, if you have little kids in your life, they still want Jordan's They still talk about I bought my nephew pair of Jordan's for Christmas that he wanted. I mean, you obviously know how popular the brand is. Cool, Uncle Steve buying an eight year old Jordan's and he appreciates it. He's eight, right, they know that jump man logo. So the question is is he the most popular in the past fifty years? Because he's sixty too, and we're still buying his shoes and talking about the guy? And can anyone ever compete with that sort of fame and fortune?
Speaker 4: What would it have to be?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Describe the scenario? Would it have to be.
Speaker 2: Like such an elite guy like Mahomes almost three repeated you know Wash, you know, one bad game away from winning four of the last what five? And he doesn't have a fire shoe. He doesn't have a shoe or a brand of anything where you like kids like I need the Mahomes. He's investing in ketchup. And again it was it was nice pushing the the mystique of this guy, you know, Air Jordan. I mean, all these things added to it rich It's like, you know who had that sort of mystique about them? Mike Tyson invincible? He was invincible, at one point, if he had a fire shoe, we might be rocking it.
Speaker 4: You know what, We'll take your feedback next.
Speaker 2: Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 4: We are live from the Mercedes Benz Studio.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 2: Going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 4: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 2: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say.
Speaker 4: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 2: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media, that's Covino and Rich. Thanks for hanging out with Covino and Rich, and for Dan Patrick. Again Covino and Rich wherever you stream your podcast at Covino and Rich on social media five to seven on the East Monday through Friday, but this week the Dan Patrick Hatrick We're in Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. In for Colin, but again just search Covino and Rich. We're live in Mercedes Benz Studios. And most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, we bring your car back to life with affordable paint jobs and light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today, ut Oh, better get Mako and Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie of The Dan Patrick Show, are an instant push to talk, offering national lt coverage and no subscription ever. Business owners can keep in touch with up to two hundred staff at one time. Cover rappid Radios dot com now for sixty percent off and free shipping. So hope you're enjoying your Presidence Day. But if you need more reason to celebrate, well we're here Covino and Rich. It's Jordan's birthday. Man. Over the weekend, Rich, I was searching the Goat app to find a pair of og I think there are two thousand and twenty one Rob Parker specials. Rob Parker has them the Georgetown Jordan Forrest, those blue ones with the gray cement. I'm willing to pay over three hundred dollars for some Jordan Forrest because for a guy that hasn't played in decades, is the poltan and kids today who never ever even seen a highlight know the brand and know the sneaker. Jordan is sixty two and Rich poses a question, see the most popular guy of our lifetime in the past fifty years, in the past fifty years, and can anyone ever compete with that sort of branding at this stage of the game. And my only question to that, Rich is, I mean, it's hard to debate, but you don't think that people at one point thought there'd never be another Kareem or another Babe Ruth, and of course there was. There was a Michael Jordan. There was a lot of other international stars. Since shit, it's tough. International is the game changer here, There's gonna be another guy internationally who's the greatest thing going.
Speaker 4: Mike runs his place. Who you know the guy Mike?
Speaker 2: He said? I thought it was Rick from Punt Stars. Mike maybe not Jordan level. But what Tiger Woods did.
Speaker 4: For golf, and that's a good answer. I mean, it was a niche sport where.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, your dad might have watched the US Open or the Masters or something. But yeah, Tiger Woods did bring a whole new audience to golf. But he did have a big partnership with Nike, had his own brand, but not to the Jordan level.
Speaker 4: There's, i think, in fact, not the why.
Speaker 2: I think. I know that in the last fifty twel hundred years no bigger star on planet Earth than Michael Jordan. And I don't think there's an athlete capable of ever having a brand as big as Jordan's. As I looked down on.
Speaker 4: My feet, I'm wearing Jordan's today do so, why don't.
Speaker 2: You, Why don't you hit up Steve A. Smith and tell him this, because they still debate, you know, who's to go, Jordan or Lebron. Those debates are eye roll y. So if you're so adamant, and if it's so obvious, and it does feel kind of obvious in this context of his brand and the branding, right, then how is this still a debate? Because when you think of overall international legacy in the branding that's behind this guy, how is that even a conversation Still, Let's go to Nate in Vegas. We'll start with you, Kevino on Retch.
Speaker 4: What's up, buddy, how you guys doing good?
Speaker 2: Mail's up good?
Speaker 7: We guys keep talking about dudes and guys.
Speaker 8: My thought was, Uh, Caitlin Clark's got a pretty good start.
Speaker 7: Jordan changed the game. Kaitlin Clark, I would.
Speaker 8: Argue, has changed the WNBA or women's basketball just in one year, no doubt.
Speaker 4: What that's a that's a great answer. I mean, she is. She has changed that sport more than most have changed any other sport.
Speaker 2: Really, game change are no question, But could her branding be as large?
Speaker 3: That's what I was going to say, is this conversation about who's changed their sport the most or who could have a brand as huge as Jordan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rich was talking about can anyone compete in that sort of legacy of branding, just like the thought of how big his popularity transcended as a result, I have a question, as you said, is he the most popular in the past fifty years? And can anyone even compete with that? At that point, Danny, look up real quick, if you don't mind, how many humans on planet Earth? What's your guests? Three three billion?
Speaker 4: How many human that's a good question, how many?
Speaker 3: How how many omens? Eight point two billion?
Speaker 2: Eight billion? People? Would you agree that the name Michael Jordan would have the highest percentage of the average random human doing name recognition? Probably not. You're in the context of Fox Sports Radio, where most of your life is revolving around sports. Who has not heard of the name? But I'm saying it's probably a world leader. I would guess, Okay, Donald Trump might be the answer, Abe, But you don't a world leader again, Now you're still really ethnocentric in your thoughts. You're not thinking internationally. I mean, Donald Trump would probably be one of those guys don't be world leaders. Then you're asking worldwide. You're talking about eight billion people. Doesn't matter what I don't, It doesn't come down to me. I think, you know a kid from Jersey. I think if you listed the most famous people on planet Earth and give it to uh, you know people random third world countries, it's a really tough family feud question. He has a lot of people to ask, serve eight billion people. Steve Harvey's mustache, sho'll be wiggling for that one. That's a tough one. But I think Michael Jordan, if not the number one, he's a top ten most recognizable name. I would beg you to find someone that's like Michael Jordan's never heard of Well, there was a point in time. Can you imagine imagine meeting someone and they're like Michael Jordan, never heard of them. There was a point in time as an eighties kid growing up where the stat according to I don't know, readers digest the Parade or People magazine or something, I don't know, some random Matt Yeah, the stat used to say that the three most recognizable people in the world where or characters or figures in the world worldwide where Mickey Mouse, Michael Jackson, and I think it was Hulk Holgan at one point because of the yellow in the red. It was recognizable worldwide. You know, people knew that at one point. So you're saying, at one point it just turned into Michael Jordan. I think so, Larry, you know, Illinois, what's up, Larry?
Speaker 8: Hey, how you guys doing, Larry?
Speaker 4: People have these tired debates of the goat and this and that and the sneakers, and I just argue that there's no more famous human than Michael Jordan.
Speaker 2: It's just I can't see anyone on earth not knowing the name Michael Jordan.
Speaker 8: Well what what Jordan and Nike did, especially in the sports world golf I love baseball obviously, is they attacked all the other sports. I mean you look at golfers have golf shoes that are Jordan's. You know, there's baseball, there's football. I mean, he made he makes a football clague, he made football uniforms that have his jump logo on it.
Speaker 4: It's wild.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, I'm not understanding it. Because we don't talk Jordan a lot on our show. We never have those Jordan Lebron debates. But it's his birthday, and it just dawned on me that I don't know if anyone could ever really do it again. It's almost like first in wins, like a soda could. The soda is never going to be Coca cola unless it does. Will there ever be a soft drink more popular than Coca Cola? To say never? Though, it sounds so what's the word? It just sounds wild that you would you would think never when, like I said, we're on the blip of the timeline.
Speaker 4: James, your life is so short.
Speaker 2: You don't think in another one hundred years or something there's gonna be someone else. You think we're still gonna be having these conversations one hundred years now. Praise Let's let's take it back. I know sports are evolving more than ever now, but if you go back to the last you know, one hundred and fifty years, modern day sport, Babe Ruth might be the only name of the conversation with Michael Jordan, and that's slowly being replaced by a guy named Shohe who has international fame.
Speaker 4: All right, James and San Antonio, what's up?
Speaker 2: James?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing that the last car just said, Jordan's got so many other players from other sports repping his logo that I feel like his brand and his product is going to last for as long as it wants.
Speaker 8: To be in business.
Speaker 6: There's no question about it. There's been other players that have come close, like Frank Thomas or King Griffy or Bo Jackson, but they didn't get past it. So I think Jordan's going to always be the biggest the goat on branding and athletes of all time.
Speaker 2: James, speaking of the logo, is he wearing shorts or pants in the Jumpman logo? Well, now you got me confused. Why would I not know right out the gate tooting common knowledge that he's wearing pantalones. You could see him.
Speaker 3: This is like staring at the KFC logo.
Speaker 4: Now I just see, Now, I just see.
Speaker 2: It's not a it's not a bow tie, it's his arms and legs. You assume he's wearing shorts because you know he's in the NBA, but he's wearing like his pants. Now you're gonna make me look it up. And if you have Jordan's and the Jordan Jumpman has a butt crack, those are the fake ones. Yeah, those are for gazy. Those are the fake Jordan's. Those are dairy air Jordan's. You know what, fake ones have a butt crack, you know, Coach. The real Jordan's don't have a butt crack. I'm not saying it never dawned on me, but for some reason, I never looked at it close enough to be like, yeah, he's wearing like the warm up pants. He's wearing pants in the logo. Wait, is this one of those No, that's it. So he's one of those Mendela facts where I don't wear No, it was all shorts, Bro Jackson, Casey, what's up? Jack's convite on Rich?
Speaker 7: Hey, what's up? Fellows? Great show, thank you. By the way, I mean my fifties, I never owned a pair of Jordan's. They were just too expensive. That's crazy to me that people would pay that much money for those shoes. Right, But here's here's here's the three things that made Jordan who Jordan is. Number three, He was a winner and a drive to win that we've never seen before or since in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Number two. Number two the marketing with Mars black Men and at that particular time pop culture that it tapped into Spike Lee was so huge as part of that culture that that's what also brought it to light. But number number one cable television. I understand. I live in Kansas City, been here all my life. WGN was a national station that played bulls games night every night, so as fans all over the country watch bulls games every day. And so when you combine those three things together, that is what put Jordan's whole brand, everything about him at a level that nobody's ever gone because we're not galvanized enough. You know, with social media, everybody's in their own little bubbles, everybody's in their own little pocket, so nobody has a way to bring that many odds. Remember back in those days, millions of people watched nightly news at five third.
Speaker 4: Durin kenned It's a different world now.
Speaker 2: The example I love to use Jacks is we all know the same sitcoms and dumb shows and cartoons from the eighties and nineties because there were only a few shows. Like if you're like, hey, do you remember a Cosby Show or Growing Pains or Different Strokes or Full House? You know why we do because there weren't that many options. Now two kids that are the same age. Two five year olds could watch completely different cartoons, tons of options. Yeah, I mean we said it, perfect storm, and he nailed it. If Jordan didn't win and he wasn't a winner, you might well, no, you wouldn't have had the same results. But Nike also invested in the right guy, perfect storm of marketing, and it really was. It really was Dyve invested in the right guy at the right time. He delivered and it all worked out for the guy. So happy birthday, extra happy Birthday to sixty two year old Michael Jordan. There you go, Hey, coming up? Uh, do you want to talk a little NFL?
Speaker 4: I know, I know we're we're taking like a mental timeout a week removed from the Super Bowls. Everyone's sort of like taking that deep, that deep breath like man NFL season in the books.
Speaker 2: But you don't want to talk about the Sikai Ti Kai. I mean way bigger right now, to be honest, everybody's talking about it, you know, I do. I do think that I find it interesting when I meet other people, like you know, if you're like roughly fortyish people that are like, Ye're not interested, I'm like, didn't you love Karate kids. As a youngster, I do enjoy Cobra Kai, but I have somebodies that are like, yeah, I'm not interested. It's then they're lame. But I don't know. I'm interested in buddy.
Speaker 4: It's such a fun show, right, Hey, thoughts about the NFL. But also it's President's Day and I have a theory about the presidential first pitch, and I think it's something you can tell about anyone by the answer. So we'll get to that next right here. Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Easter in six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We're learning stuff today, could Bean Unrich and for Dan Patrick on Fox Sports Radio. We learned that the NBA can't force us to like something. You have to organically like things. And again painting and brush strokes. Sure, some people loved it. I had it on. I didn't love it, but I had it on all weekend. I'll start weekend Valentine's Day weekend. There was lots of loving going on. We learned that, Uh, Michael Jordan, who celebrated the birthday today, I'll go on say fifty. Forget that most famous due in less hundred years, especially in the world of sports. But you also said, can anyone compete with that moving forward? I don't think so. There's gonna be somebody.
Speaker 7: Dude.
Speaker 2: You think there's gonna be an athlete whose brand extends into other sports?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe again, maybe a show. Hey, maybe it's someone else. I think so. I don't know about that. I do. I did want to ask you over the weekend, did you catch some of the highlights of the SNL fifty. I saw the highlights again. We're Covino and Rich and for Dan Patrick eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox Again at Covino and Rich on social media search Covino and Rich where you stream your podcasts helpe. You had a mac mclunk stort of weekend? What stood out to the Eddie Murphy stuff. I tune in the Will Ferrell.
Speaker 4: Doing the music teacher singing Kendrick LaVar.
Speaker 2: I did see that.
Speaker 4: I thought that was the highlight. I saw that. I think it's worth watching.
Speaker 2: If people haven't seen it, I would say it's worth checking out the highlights. SNL turned fifty over this weekend, so and again the special aired on a Sunday, because I don't know people want to don't want to stay up late on a Saturday Saturday night live fifty on a Sunday, and one other questions for you. I'm not putting on the spot, but I saw that I feel like you're gonna the mo I say things like that, I feel like you're gonna The Mets are toying with the idea of naming Francisco Lindor their captain. And there's only three captains in Major League Baseball. John Franco said, from one captain to another, he approves, And I wonder what you think the significance of a baseball captain is. Think about it the football. Every football team has multiple captains. They go out for the coin toss. They represent the team in different you know, special teams, defense, offense. Baseball, there's three. We all know the one obvious one, Aaron Judge. Do you know the other two captains in baseball? Of the of the thirty Major League Baseball teams, only three teams currently have a captain currently have a captain. I don't think I mean, I'm putting you on the spot because I don't think you would ever guess in a million years. Maybe one of them, because he's such a veteran of this team and he's won a World Series with them, small market team, Miguel Cabrera No Salvador Perez Royals. Oh that's a good one. Actually I did know that. Yeah, No, I don't know. I'm trying to think of, like, well, who's a legendary player who is still around Marcus Simeon of the Texas Rangers. I would have never guessed that.
Speaker 4: So is there a significance to captain in baseball?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: Just like, Hey, the teams is an honor. The team respects you clearly. You're a clubhouse guy and you're on a long term deal and you're going nowhere, Like, how does you remember those things? I still remember Jason Vertek was the captain of the Red Sox. He had a little sea. He's always a debate, do you wear the seed? Are you better than me?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I think it's cool. Yeah, it's an honor. Has any Yankee ever wore the sea? Not that I know of, No, not that I know of. But you had judge before that, matting before that, Jeter, then Manningly and Randolph and Gidrey and yeah, Yankees might be one of the only teams that really consistently do a captain. But I think Lindor would be a great choice. I really do. It's leadership, He's the guy. I don't think anyone played with more fire than Lindor came in clutch. I think that's a great choice if the Mets wanted to take that route. Danny had the Dodger you're the leader on the field. Have the Dodgers ever had a captain? From what you remember?
Speaker 3: Racking my head on that one right now.
Speaker 2: Get this, the Dodgers have had five captains, the last one before most of us are born, Davey Lopes in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, I don't think we were born.
Speaker 4: Captain's matteran baseball.
Speaker 2: Hey, your thoughts and we'll get to some more NFL, NBA, A lot of fun C and R in for Dan Patrick.