Speaker 1: Welcome back to she Pivots. I'm Shannon Watts.
Speaker 2: Welcome to she Pivots, the podcast where we talk with women who dared to pivot out of one career and into something new and explore how their personal lives impacted these decisions. I'm your host, Emily Tish Sussman. We're speaking with someone who's not only an iconic activist and leader, but someone who is unapologetically woven the personal and the professional.
Speaker 3: Throughout her career. Shannon Watts, founder of Mom's Demand Action. Every First Friday in June, we take time to recognize Gun Violence Awareness Day and wear orange to honor survivors and build community with those working to end gun violence. Shannon's work to reduce gun violence has led to more progress than we've ever seen. She's been named a Time Magazine one hundred Most Influential People, a Forbes fifty over fifty change Maker, and Glamour Woman of the Year. But Shannon found this work after pivoting not once.
Speaker 4: But twice.
Speaker 3: She started her career as a young speech writer for Governor Carnahan and Missouri, not realizing that one day she'd flex or political muscles to fight gun violence. After building a successful career in crisis communications, Shannon proudly left to be a stay at home mom. It wasn't in until December fourteenth, twenty twelve, when Shannon watched alongside all of us as twenty children were massacred at Sandy Hook Elementary that she made her next pivot. She started a Facebook group with the message that all Americans can and should do more to reduce gun violence. The online conversation turned into grassroots movement, which turned into Mom's Demand Action. During this time, I also started working on gun violence prevention in my pre pivot days, I worked Sandy Hook families, particularly bringing young people into the movement, and we immediately heard about Shannon's work. Shan I never actually met in person at the time, but we both worked on trying to get Congress to pass universal background checks, which we'll talk about later in the episode. Shannon's inspiring pivots don't seem to be stopping, and she also talks about what's next for her after stepping down as CEO of Mom's Demand last year. Guns are a uniquely American problem that sometimes feels hopeless when we see headline after headline, but we can make a difference Shannon is a testament to that, and I hope this episode inspires you all to get involved to protect people from gun violence. You can visit our website for organizations to get involved with their contribute to enjoy.
Speaker 4: Can you just tell us a little bit about growing public? Where did you grow up?
Speaker 1: I was born in Rochester, New York. I was born on January first, in nineteen seventy one, and I ended up being an only child. Had a fun nineteen seventies upbringing. You know, it's kind of the decade of lash Key kids and free range children.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I would leave in the morning at seven, and I would come home at night at seven, and my parents really didn't know where I was or what I was doing. And a lot of people I talked to who grew up in the seventies have that same experience, and I think in part when I look back at what I was inspired by, you know, Rochester, New York is the home of so many activists, and it's what we are taught to revere.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: We would go on field trips. We would go to Susan B. Anthony's house, we would go see where Frederick Douglas made speeches. We would see where Harriet Tubman passed through. And when I think about my childhood, I think about those two things. Sort of the freedom I had to grow up and make mistakes and learn, but also what I was taught about value use and what was important.
Speaker 4: What did you think you wanted to be when you grew up.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean I was really precocious, So I have had ADHD my whole life untreated ADHD. My parents had me diagnosed in the nineteen eighties, and you know, it's pretty severe if your parents took you in for a diagnosis in the nineteen eighties, you know, I began failing out of school in middle school. I was getting into trouble for a lack of impulse control. It was really when I went through puberty that so much in my life started to change. And I don't think my parents knew what to do with that. But even after I was diagnosed, I think because of stigma, you know, they did not agree with the treatment plan, so I just never was treated and it made it really difficult for me to learn. I knew that I was bright, but I was also being told at the same time that I was sort of a failure. Or a disappointment, or that I didn't have the capacity to compete with my peers. And I barely made it through high school. Thank god for the economics teacher who passed me, because otherwise I would not have I didn't even get a cap and gown because I didn't think I was going to graduate. How did I get into college? I ended up going to community college for a year, and I think my brain started to solidify at that point. You know, I started to understand the workarounds that I needed to do in order to succeed in this system that was not set up for me. And I can remember when I was basically failing out of high school. You know, my dad came to me and said, why why don't you become an airline attendant? And that's certainly nothing wrong. I mean, that sounds like a very glamorous life. Honestly to me, I might have I might wish I had become an airline attendant in retrospect, but I just felt like they were saying to me that I couldn't go to college, that I couldn't do it. And my personality is such that no matter how hard it was to get through school, I was going to figure that out. My parents had such low expectations for me, and I was so stubborn and determined that I wanted to go to college. No one went to college on my mother's side of the family, that was a woman. I come from a very very impoverished family on my maternal side, coal miners in western Kentucky, who many of them didn't even go to high school, and my mom did not go to college. And so I got all a's that first year in community college, much to my parents' surprise, and about a year later, I transferred to the University of Missouri.
Speaker 3: Despite her parents' low expectations and her struggles with ADHD. Shannon grew up an avid reader.
Speaker 1: As an only child. That was sort of my lifeline was to Anna the Green Gables or you know, Nancy Drew or eventually, as I got into high school Watergate. I became obsessed with Watergate. I have no idea why there is not a Watergate book that has been written that I have not read, and that really inspired inside of me a love for journalism. And so when I decided to transfer from community to college to college college, I decided to go to the best state journalism school in the country.
Speaker 4: So it ended up working as a public affairs officer for the Missouri state government. How did that come about.
Speaker 1: Well, it is not a surprise that I did struggle to get through college as well, again because of this untreated ADHD, and I wasn't even able to major in journalism. I had to major in sociology because I couldn't get into the j school ultimately, but I still loved journalism and I still loved everything that was a part of that world. And so when I graduated, I was writing for a local newspaper. I was selling ads for a local newspaper in Columbia, Missouri, and there was a you know, back then, we looked in the newspaper for job ads, and there was an ad that said that Governor Carnahan's administration, a democratic administration, was hiring for a speech writer. That sounded very glamorous to me and like something I could do. And so I applied, and I was one of over one hundred applicants, and I made it through the process and I was offered the job. I made a whopping nineteen thousand, eight hundred dollars a year, but it was a very sought after position. And you know, the lessons I learned in that job have served me throughout my entire life.
Speaker 3: But this was politics in the nineteen nineties, and those lessons she learned in the halls of the Jefferson City Capital went beyond policies and press conferences.
Speaker 1: I mean, as a young woman in the state House, you were constantly being hit on, regardless of political party. I called it spring break for middle aged men, Like these men were coming in from all over the state of Missouri to gather just for this few months, right to make laws allegedly, But what they were really doing was partying. I mean, drinking in their offices and in the hallways and being feted by lobbyists and making the moves on interns like it was debauchery. So that kind of also made me think, you know, if these guys can do it, anybody can do it.
Speaker 4: But did that make you lose your faith in government? I mean it feels like it would really make me lose my faith.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like seeing the sausage being made, but you know, you still enjoy the sausage, Like I thought, the lawmaking that was happening in the state House, and particularly Governor Carnahan. I mean, it was really heroic the things that he was championing in a state like Missouri, women's rights, improving education.
Speaker 7: I'm very pleased to report to you that under the budget that I am introducing today, the state is right on target and fully funding the Outstanding Schools Act, providing schools the resources they need to give our children a quality education. And whatever decisions we make, they will live with the consequences for years to come. Let us resolve to work together to put the small on the unimportant things aside, focus on the common goal to leave Missouri an even better place for our children to live than it was for ourselves. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Even sensible gun reform and so I didn't dissuade me from being interested in politics, but it made me think that the people who were politicians could be of a higher caliber.
Speaker 3: Still, young Shannon soaked it all in, but was still unaware that politics was it for her, completely unaware that her time in the governor's office would later give her the skills that would help or lead the nation's fight against gun violence.
Speaker 1: I was twenty three years old. I'm not sure that I had a lot of strong opinions or even fully formed political notions. At that point, I was more watching and learning from the sidelines, and not just learning how to tell story, but understanding how the process worked.
Speaker 3: Still not sold on politics, Shannon made her first pivot from public service to corporate America.
Speaker 4: Just walk us through a little bit more. When you left the public sector and you went into the private sector, I mean you rose quickly, like you were a star.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was interesting how my ADHD quickly became a superpower of concentration. And not long after I left the State House, I did a couple of other quasi governmental jobs, but I ended up at Fleischmann Hillard, the public relations agency, and they had a really strong arm of that public relations firm in Kansas City, mostly focused on agriculture, but Hallmark was a client some of the local headquarters in Kansas City. And it's really where I cut my teeth on crisis management. So there would be a chemical spill in the middle of the night and I would get woken up and I would have to get on a plane and go out and understand what happened. And how do you message this to community members? How do you explain to them, we understand this is a crisis, we care, we're working to fix it, and that became my job. And I wasn't even thirty years old yet, but I did have a gift, I think in part because of my work at the state House. But I knew how to tell a story effectively. I knew how to message, and I knew how to help clients in part because of holding the hands of state lawmakers through any kind of journey. You know that they were on because of their brand or their business or whatever was unfolding, and that experience certainly is something that is valuable I think in the corporate world.
Speaker 4: I also feel like for people that work in crisis are like a special breed, like you're either built to run towards the crisis and have a very clear brain, or it's just overwhelming.
Speaker 1: I agree, And I don't know that you would think that someone who almost failed out of high school and college would have that kind of brain. But yet, what I found is that my ADHD helps me to focus so specifically when one thing unfolds, which I'm sure we'll talk more about when it pertains to gun violence. But I saw this play out over and over again, and this was just as you know, the Internet was coming into play where I was able to track an issue, find the information about it, look at the news coverage, synthesize all of it, and spit back out a strategic plan and cohesive messaging. And it's just something that my brain is wired to do.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we dive into how Shannon's personal life played a role in her early career and beyond. Shannon's career was continuing to grow and grow, but so was her family. She married her high school sweetheart fresh out of college.
Speaker 1: I was very young. My parents were going through divorce. As I said, I was an only child, and I kind of felt like my family was falling apart, and I think I was looking for another family, to create another family. And so I married and found out I was pregnant three months later, had a baby again. I got pregnant three months after that. So by the time I was twenty nine years old, I had three children, which is not something that really happens even with women in my generation. And and my main focus really in my twenties and thirties was being able to support my family. And it was really sort of a blur the fact that I was having children, that I was working full time that I was married. I think all the fun most people have in their twenty thirties in thirties, I'm having now in my fifties. But my focus in those days was really just how do I keep succeeding so that I can't support my family?
Speaker 4: And you weren't a job that I'm imagining had kind of unpredictable hours and unpredictable focus, Like if a crisis came up, you would have to drop we know, wherever you were with the family and run towards it. How did you manage that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I was really the person who was mainly supporting our family, and so my ex husband, my ex husband, now he had a job, but he was able to be home most of the time with the kids, and that was also, I think a little bit unheard of back then. So he started out making sure that his job, because I was paid more, that his job was more conducive to childcare and staying home on paternity leave and picking kids up from school, et cetera.
Speaker 4: So you were doing incredibly well in your career, your kids are growing. In two thousand and eight, you were named to pr Week's forty under forty list and in the same year you decided to leave to stay home with your kids. So tell us more about that decision. And I mean, what was that juxtavision? Like, you know, you're the top of your field and you say, you know what, it's not for me right now.
Speaker 1: It's sort of a pattern in my life where I always try to go out on top, but I ended up divorcing in my early thirties. When you get married at twenty three, you don't really marry the person you would probably marry in your thirties, which is why I've encouraged all my kids to wait until they're thirty to get married. We have a wonderful relationship. I think Gwyneth Paltrow would call it conscious uncoupling. You know, we've been able to parent our kids together for the last couple of decades very well. But we just realized at a certain point that we were not going to have the marriage that either of us wanted. And so after we divorced, I ended up meeting my now husband and remarrying. And he had two older children in high school and college, and I had children in elementary and middle school, so it was a very complex dynamic. You know, we wanted to make sure that our family felt like a family. We wanted our kids to come together, and I just knew there was no way that I could keep working full time and do that, and it seemed like a good time to take a break, and so I just decided I would step back from the day to day, always imagining that it would be about a five year break and that I would certainly go back into the workforce full time.
Speaker 3: What I love about Shannon's story is how she speaks openly and honestly about putting her personal life and her family first. When I made the decision to leave my career in politics to be more present with my family, I felt a sense of shame around it, as if that reason wasn't good enough, But Shannon was steadfast in trusting herself and her decisions.
Speaker 1: I was much more concerned about wanting to make sure that my kids had someone home when they came home from school, that I was helping them through the divorce and remarriage, that I was getting to know my husband's kids, and also that I was spending time with my new husband. You know, we had both been married before, and we wanted to make sure that the same things that got in the way of our first marriages didn't get in the way of our second marriage. So that was really my priority. And my husband was working full time. I had a little bit of a luxury to say, Okay, I can put this on the back burner and go back when I'm ready, but always believing that because of my personality, because of the career I had created, I would go back.
Speaker 3: Talk to us about the moment it clicked for you to take action again against gun violence. Had it been about five years for you at that point.
Speaker 1: I had been home almost exactly five years, and in fact, I had started looking at jobs. I had started sending out my resume, and it was a very cold day in Indiana, December fourteenth, twenty twelve. I had just dumped like five huge baskets of laundry out on the bed in my primary bedroom. As you can imagine, like laundry is a full time job when you have five kids, and I was just I was going to have CNN on the background while I fulded close and suddenly there was this breaking news chirn that there was an active shooter inside in elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. I had never heard of Newtown, Connecticut. But I knew based on the footage I was seeing of people in the parking lot and families crying, and these reporters who were already on the scene, that this was horrific.
Speaker 5: Any hooks cool, I think there's somebody shooting in here, a New Hook school.
Speaker 4: Okay, what makes you think that?
Speaker 5: Because somebody's got I thought a glimpse of somebody they're running down.
Speaker 2: If she thinks that so much?
Speaker 8: The Mental Report, I'm Rebecca Jarvis with the latest on the deadly shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, the Sandy Hook School, and it is turning out to be worse than anyone could have imagined.
Speaker 9: One fifteen asked everybody to sit down, and they said that it was a tragic day in Newtown today and twenty children were killed.
Speaker 3: Tell me little girl was gone.
Speaker 1: There was so much panic and confusion when that announcement was whatever was about to unfold was going to sear the psyche of Americans. So I'm sure, like so many people listening, you know, I just kind of sat down where I was that day and I just watched this tragedy unfold for hours and hours and hours and I was inconsolable. It's still unfathomable, even though it shouldn't because there have been so many mascul shootings since. But you know that twenty children and six educators were slaughtered inside in American elementary school in seconds. Because this, you could call him a man, but he's really he was barely a man who had easy access to a weapon of war. I went to bed that night, I woke up the next morning, and I'm not even sure I can explain to you the rage I felt, which is sort of a common denominator in my life, Like my go to emotion is anger pretty much for anything good or bad. And I was so angry that I didn't really know what to do with it. I had to channel it, and I thought, okay, I'll join something like Mother's against drunk driving, but for gun safety, that's got to exist. Mad was so influential to me as a teen in the eighties growing up. You know, they used to park the cars, the crumpled cars full of victims block still like in front of your high school, to say like this could happen to you if you drink and drive, which just was like very impactful, and I thought, there's got to be a group of moms who are doing this for gun safety. You know, I'm a mom of five. That's how this issue speaks to me. It was in an elementary school. I've got kids in an elementary school. So I went in my kitchen and I looked for this organization, and I could not find anything like it. I found some think tanks, mostly run by men. I found some one off city and state organizations mostly run by men. Like I wanted to be part of a badass army of women like I had seen when I was growing up in Rochester, New York, who I think are the special sauce of forcing change in this country. I had seventy five Facebook friends. I was not exactly a social media phenomenon, and I just thought I know how to start a Facebook page. I'd actually just recently learned how to start a new Facebook page for like a business or a brand. So I created it in my kitchen and I called it one Million Moms for Gun Control. And it was like lightning in a bottle. The direct messages, the texts, the emails, the calls. Like I didn't think I'd be a public figure. All my information was out there to contact me, and so what I thought was an online conversation very quickly became an offline organization.
Speaker 10: Market market moms demand action, not politicians. It started as a Facebook group of concerned moms and has transformed into a grassroots campaign with a presence.
Speaker 4: So how did you decide what the steps were or the information was that you were going to be providing to all of these people who were joining your one million moms group.
Speaker 1: I had absolutely no plan, to be clear. I just was so angry that I felt I had to act. But there were so many other women who felt the exact same way that day. You know, if you talk to people, they walked out of their jobs the day of the sany Hook School shooting because they knew they had to be doing more on this issue, or they felt an urgency to be with their kids. It kind of made anything else you were thinking about feel insignificant because of that. So many women that day in the days after came to me and said, I want to do this too, I want to do it where I live. Let me help you. The skill set I brought to the table with storytelling and communications and messaging, but I needed web developers and I needed strategists, and I needed organizers, and I needed litigators and trademark lawyers like you name it. These women came and they brought their skills to me and said, I want to help you in any way I can. So it was really this community effort to create our strategy and our plan that I would say, you know, started to solidify in the days and the weeks that winter. I mean, we showed up in mass all over the country on January twenty sixth at marches and rallies, and I kind of thought, Oh, this is what we do. We're going to show up. But legislative sessions started just two months after the Sandyek school shooting, and then it became apparent, oh no, we actually need to show up in state houses where the gun extremists have been writing all the policies that are resulting in these mas school shootings. So it all happened very very quickly, but only because of this huge amount of support that I had from complete strangers all over the country.
Speaker 3: When we come back, Shannon talks about early lessons Moms Demand Action learned after losing the vote on universal background checks just a few months after founding, just months after the Sandy Hook shooting, Congress was poised to vote on a universal background check bill. It was a bill that I actually worked on in my pre pivot days, and so we.
Speaker 1: Put a lot of our time and attention towards supporting the passage of this bill. I can remember going to the White House, I can remember standing behind the pres during press conferences. We thought for sure that this was going to pass. Right after twenty six people are killed in an elementary school, like, Congress isn't gonna act. Of course, that's not going to happen. They're going to do the right thing. It may sound like it's close, but surely Congress will pass this legislation. And I was in the Senate gallery when it failed by a handful of votes in the Senate that March, including some Democratic senators who voted against it.
Speaker 11: The order of the Senate the vote on this vote. The a'sr fifty four. The na's are forty six. Under the previous order requiring sixty votes to the adoption of this amendment. The amendment is not agreed to.
Speaker 12: My part is A deal to expand background checks was defeated just moments ago with bi partisan opposition. It was one in a series of votes, all amendments to a larger piece of legislation that is now unlikely to end up on President Obama's desk anytime soon, with more from this that we're doing now.
Speaker 1: And then I can remember going over to Starbucks, the Starbucks in DC near Congress and thinking to myself, like, oh, we just had a huge failure. If we can't do this, maybe we can't do anything. Maybe the country isn't ready for this to happen, and are we wasting our time? And I was getting ready to write a statement and I didn't know what that statement should say in response to this bill failing. And at the same time, I was getting all these texts and these dm from volunteers across the country who were saying, it's okay, my governor wants to pass gun safety legislation or my lawmakers want to act in the aftermath of Sandy Hook. And then at the same time, I was getting messages from volunteers that were saying, my governor, my lawmakers actually want to loosen our laws. So that's why it's even more important than we stick around. So that's how we decided to keep going, which actually became our mantra as an organization, and many of our volunteers have had that tattoo on them, this idea that we have to loose forward, that we are going to have a lot of losses. And one of the things that loss taught us was if we could peel Democrats away on this issue, we would eventually win. Because what happened was the NRA gave A ratings to all the lawmakers who voted against that background check bill, and these Democrats who voted with them to protect their A rating learned a really important lesson that next election cycle, which is with friends like the NRA, who needs enemies. The na went in and invested millions of dollars in their competitors, their Republican competitors. Not a single one of the Democratic senators who voted against that bill, which was called the Mansion Toomy Bill, still has their seat. So what Democrats realized was we can vote with our constituents, We can vote our conscience and still keep our jobs because we have this army of women in red shirts who will support us.
Speaker 4: Around that same time you started to practice yoga and Buddhism. Around the same time of that founding was that can you explain what your headspace was that all of this change is happening for you so quickly, and how you made these decisions, like how they interacted with one another.
Speaker 1: There was so much change in my life. I think I was just forty one years old when the Santay Hook School shooting happened, and as you said, I had recently practiced started practicing Buddhism. I was training to become a yoga teacher, like I was living sort of this very zen, stereotypical Midwestern white woman life. And it's a little bit cliched, but it was also incredibly important to who I became as a leader because all of the tenets of Buddhism, like the eightfold path and just right speech and right action. It helped me, I think to maybe the overarching thing here is that it helped me keep my ego in check and to realize that this organization, this work was not about me. It was not even about my leadership. It was out the volunteers and the survivors who came into this space. It's the same thing that helped keep me kind and compassionate online. It's the same thing that helped me realize, you know, our message has to be broadly appealing, that we have to be emboldening and empowering women. And so I think the two things were incredibly important to one another. And I kind of look back and see my leadership of Mom's to Man action as part of my practice right to follow that eightfold path that Buddhism lays out for me.
Speaker 4: I mean, as someone who's been you know, like in the weeds on this issue for a decade, like what is realistic? Like should what can we actually hope for?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's important to remember that we actually have accomplished so much right. We've passed over five hundred good gun laws, everything from background checks to red flag laws, to disarming domestic abusers to secure storage requirements. We've also stopped the Enemies Agenda ninety percent of the time every year for the last decade. That's preventing teachers from being armed, allowing guns inside our schools. But also we've had a seismic shift in American politics on this issue. As I mentioned, a quarterball Democrats in Congress had an A rating from the NRA when I started doing this work. Today not one does, and in fact, fifteen Republicans voted for the bipartisan Saber Communities Act that passed last summer. It was the first federal legislation on gun safety and a generation to be signed into law by a president. So all of these things are unbelievable that they've happened in under a decade. You don't see that on many political issues. And it's also how these issues play out. You know, the idea that you're going to have wholesale, significant change overnight is not realistic. I think incrementalism gets a dirty is seen as a dirty word sometimes, but it's what leads to revolutions. If you learn how to play the long game, and you show up over and over again, you will evenge will he win? And there's certainly a lot more that has to be done on this issue going forward at a state level, at a federal level. But I think the fact that we've built this foundation means that when we elect a majority of gun sense advocates, we can have pretty quick change. I'll give you an example. I mean in Virginia, which was a very red state until it flipped in twenty nineteen, we elected a gun sense trifecta. We've passed over a dozen good gun laws in that state, and even though there's a Republican governor now, none of that progress has been rolled back because it's what the people want and they're holding their lawmakers accountable. And we've elected now gun sense trifectas in places like Massachusetts and Michigan and Minnesota, and those are the places where we are passing strong gun laws. So we have to keep building the foundation and electing the lawmakers who will do what citizens want.
Speaker 3: Shannon truly sees the issue as the multifaceted issue. It is something she says she learned in part from Congresswoman Lucy Macbeth.
Speaker 1: Introduced to Lucy Macbeth in the spring of twenty thirteen, her son, Jordan Davis, a black teen, was shot and killed in a Florida gas station by a white man who thought Jordan's music was too loud. And that happened just weeks before the San Hook school shooting, which I don't think I even heard about. And when I was connected to Lucy, I just realized that she was such a light and was so important to this movement, and I remember saying to her like, can you be a spokesperson? Which you know, this was just after starting mom'ster Man Action. I didn't have any money to give her. I didn't have any other spokespeople. I didn't even know what that meant, but she said yes. And really, the whole reason our Florida chapter started was to support Lucy during the two trials of her son's murderer. The first one was a mistrial, and then Lucy became a colleague. We hired her to work on this issue, particularly as it pertained to religious communities, and then she eventually decided to run for office. But the role that Lucy has played in my life and in the development of Mom's Manact that was so important was that she was the person who came to me and said, you can't just care about school shootings. You can't just care about mass shootings. You know, I'm so grateful to have this opportunity to speak about my cause and my son, but when I do that, it's mostly to white women. And if we don't diversify our volunteer base and our own internal leadership, we will not succeed, like we will not last into perpetuity. And really made it her mission to help me do that with Mom's me in Action, which I think we've been successful doing.
Speaker 6: A Democratic Congresswoman Lucy Macbeth took her gut renting tragedy, the murder of her son Jordan, and made it her mission to prevent other mothers from enduring the same agony.
Speaker 9: Here, everything I.
Speaker 5: Had done to protect him, it wasn't good enough. She didn't matter because he was a young plat maile and was simply because of the color of biscuit.
Speaker 6: She redirected her pain into purpose became active in the gun control group Mom's Demand.
Speaker 5: I started speaking out about Jordan's tragedy. Any person that would allow me to speak or tell my story, I That's what I did. But this isn't an issue that's just facing black mothers, although it happens to women who look like me far too often. This is an American crisis and a public safety issue.
Speaker 1: School shootings and mass shootings are about one percent of the gun violence in this country, and it's what gets so many of us off the sidelines. And I think my role as a white woman has been to say to these other white women and also some men, I understand you're afraid. I understand you want to protect your kids, but we have to look at this as the complex issue that it is, and it deserves holistic solutions. It's not just an assault weapons ban. It's not hardening schools. It's keeping guns out of schools in the first place. But it's also background checks. It's also storming domestic abusers. It's also unlocking dollars for community violence intervention programs. Right, gun violence is happening everywhere all the time. One hundred and twenty people are shot and killed every day, hundreds more are wounded. That's a lot of mass shootings in one day in America that aren't happening inside schools. So I think it's first of all, understanding the issue, understanding the data behind the solutions, advocating for more than just your own security and your own kids protection, and realizing that you have to find a piece of the work and take it on. I realize we don't lead single issue lives, but I am a single issue voter. If you don't support gun safety, you're not getting my vote, and that is how we affect change.
Speaker 4: I live in a Republican congressional district, and over the summer, my friends and I started a Mom's Demand chapter. We started one that we didn't have in our talent and I would love to take credit for this. I did not start it. My friend came to me, is that I think that we should. I think that we should do this, And we've been organizing a bunch of moms in our schools since, but we're starting from scratch. So give us advice, like how should we be thinking about this, How should we prioritize our time, Like how do we feel like we're making progress enough to keep people engaged? Because it is going to be a log paddle. I think it's first setting the table and explaining that to people. People get involved in activism, especially young people, which we need right We need their desire for significant overnight change to force politicians. We need their voices, we need the way they advocate differently to be at the table. But at the same time, we need to have a realistic expectation of what we can accomplish. We aren't going to have this happen in the next year or two years. We have to have people understand that what they're doing is building a foundation that we can work on. What we want is for all lawmakers to be on the right side of this issue, regardless of political party. So I think that is this idea of keep going. You may lose, you're going to learn from those losses and win the next time. I think it's understanding the context of history and the fact that we are getting Republicans to vote the right way on this issue, and that if they don't, we have to hold them accountable. Or it looks as though there's no accountability for being on the side of gun extremism. But mostly it's find a piece of this work that you're passionate about and commit to it. It can be cultural, like handing out secure storage information at a farmer's market. It can be electoral, like knocking doors during election season. It can be legislative. Maybe you're going to show up at a gun bill hearing at the state House. I think it's Alice Walker who said activism is the rent I pay to live on the planet. And if we are concerned about this issue, if we are worried not just about our kids' safety, but the safety of our communities, the safety of our country, the safety of our democracy, which guns makes vulnerable, then we are obligated to keep showing up and to keep doing the work.
Speaker 1: If you're angry, frustrated, and heartbroken.
Speaker 2: Let me hear you say a not very poster board.
Speaker 4: Yeah, raise if you're sign a little bit. Anna ev Era carried the sixth letter word. Our mom made it because she is part of this group and wants to prevent gun violence.
Speaker 3: Their mom, Rebecca mork Is.
Speaker 8: The Limanned Action held a gun violence awareness event in honor of ware Orange.
Speaker 3: This event for Change the Maryland Chapter A Mom's the Man Action heading to Annapolis tomorrow pushing for stricter gun laws.
Speaker 4: W leming r to do is Jif Morgan, So, what is one thing in retrospective, like doing the whole retrospective looking back, what is one thing that at the time you felt like was a real low point for you and now you see it as having having really launched the success that you've had.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's there. I mean, there's so many of those different inflection points. But I would say, as so many women say, the election of Donald Trump. You know, I really thought that would be the moment that the NA came into its power. I don't know if you remember, but Donald Trump one of the first things he did was in Wayne Lapierre, the CEO of the NRAA, to sit in on one of his roundtables about guns. The day of the Sandy Hook School shooting commemoration, invited Wayne Lapierre to the White House Christmas Party, like it looked like this was going to be the nre's time to shine, and in fact, thanks in large part to the work of Mom's Man Action volunteers, the NRA lost political power and wealth and unbelievable amounts during Donald Trump's administration, in part because gun sales went down. No one is afraid at that moment until COVID that their guns were going to be taken away, but also because Americans started to see through the corruption and the lies of the so called nonprofit So I really thought that that was going to be the beginning of the end for maybe gun safety, but in fact it was for gun lobbyists.
Speaker 3: After over a decade at the helm of Moms Demand Action, Shannon stepped down as CEO, passing the torch to the next generation.
Speaker 1: You know, I never saw the role a founder as infinite. I saw it as very finite that my job was to build a space for people to come together. But I knew that it I would eventually leave. I didn't want to do this my whole life. But also I didn't think that served the organization, and I can remember standing in the Rose Garden when President Biden signed the Bipartisan Saber Communities Act into law, thinking, Oh, this is it. This is the bookend to my activism as the founder of Mom's Demand Action, and it was time for me to step back. And we had this amazing woman in place in our organization who was in charge of movement building, Angela Farrell Zabala. We hired her from Planned Parenthood a few years earlier, and I just think it's so key to the evolution of the organization. You know, I started this organization as a white suburban mom who's afraid her kids weren't safe in their school. Angela is a black queer woman, a mom of four in Washington, d C. Who has seen gun violence very differently in her community. And I'm incredibly grateful for her service. And I know that she will take the organization in a direction that I wouldn't necessarily have known to do, and I think that benefits the organization.
Speaker 4: So for you, let's talk about what's next. Which office are you going to run for?
Speaker 1: I really enjoy helping other women run for office. I'm on the board of Emerge America where we train and help women successfully run for office, progressive women all across the country, and to support my friends who are in Congress, like Lucy McBeth, who is a Mom's man, actual volunteers now congresswomen in Georgia. So I don't have any imminent plans to run for office. I'm actually writing a book right now, which takes up most of my waking hours. But I will never not be involved in helping other women run because what I have seen over and over again is that when women are given a seat at the table, everything changes. Everything the issues that they focus on, the lives of the people they serve, even the decorum and the dignity with which we make laws changes when we elect women.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you so much Shannon for coming on and sharing your story, and I promise that we will not disappoint you with our local Mom's Demand Action chapter. We will make you proud.
Speaker 1: I promise I'll check in on it.
Speaker 5: Ever.
Speaker 3: The passionate advocate, Shannon continues to support and encourage women through her substack Playing with Fire, which encourages us to find the spark inside us. Every week, she shares insights on what she's gained through her eleven years of activism, leadership, and women's advocacy. Be sure to subscribe and follow because she just might be coming out with a book next year. You can also follow her on Twitter, where she is a self proclaimed keyboard warrior, at Shannon R. Watts or on Instagram also at Shannon R.
Speaker 2: Watts.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to this episode of she Pivots.
Speaker 13: If you made it this far, you're a true pivoter, so thanks for being part of this community. I hope you enjoyed this episode, and if you did leave us a rating, please be nice tell your friends about us. To learn more about our guests, follow us on Instagram at she Pivots the Podcast, or sign up for our newsletter where you can get exclusive behind the scenes content, or on our website she Pivots the Podcast talk to You Next Week.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to the she Pivots team, Executive producer Emily eda Velosik, Associate producer and social media connoisseur Hannah Cousins, Research director Christine Dickinson, Events and logistics coordinator Madeline Sonovak, and audio editor and mixer Nina Pollock.
Speaker 13: I endorse she Pivots