Speaker 1: With us around the type on places side. The film of fed Vice chat which of cloud is with us? Still with Us? Is about Michael Jpmulgan Acid Management.
Speaker 2: Rich.
Speaker 1: It's good to see you, sir. Let's start with you. You listen to Mike. You saw the changes in the statement. What do you make of what we just had?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm a bit surprised, actually, I mean not with the adjectives. They needed to change some adjectives up, but I was a bit surprised about the reference to the attuned and attentive to the balanced outlook. I mean, that's certainly correct. The chair has been making that point, but I think it is relevant that they included it in the statement. He will, certainly, I think, reinforce it in the press conference, and I think I do think it does tee up Jackson Hole. There'll be some more information before then.
Speaker 2: I look at it, and this show is the best one we've ever done. We've got Dudley with his important Bloomberg opinion piece a couple number of days ago, and I want to go to you on what you own, which is the high ground on the x anty X post debate. You've got the Economist magazine article you did a year or whatever ago. You got your January twenty twenty two context and consequence of speech on an ex anti aspirational FED, I don't hear that here they're waiting. They're waiting, They're waiting, they are waiting.
Speaker 3: I think they are getting greater confidence. But I think the key point not to toot my own horn is my view all on It's okay. I think I've said so on this show is that the pal FED really the goal is to get inflation to two points something and then they would start thinking about the next step, which would be easy, not running an easy policy, but removing restrictions. So I do think this is what we're seeing, and if we do get the cut in Septembers, I think we and markets expect it will be because they expect inflation x antes to continue to fall.
Speaker 2: But are we anywhere near that? I'm sorry, this is an ex post FED. Going back to Arthur Burns, there is data dependent as I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are data dependent, but I think that they attenuated and focused on the statement today emphasized both sides of the mandate. So I do think they're looking at just the labor market as well as the inflation data.
Speaker 4: Well, what's your take on this? It seems like it's less dubbish, a little bit more balanced than you initially thought. Do you think this just is trying to move as incrementally as possible.
Speaker 5: I think they preserve full optionality heading into Jackson Hall. I also think that central bankers are mindful of what happened to the ECB earlier this year, where you could have made the same argument, if you're going to go next month, why not go this month? And then of course you saw what happened. So I don't see too much different than what we expected, other than they just decided to maintain the full optionality. We'll see what happens as we roll into September. We're still very much expecting twenty five basis points in September.
Speaker 1: No, doctor if renmac just writes in publishes with language like this, it means the Fed will have to make a more pronounced shift in language in September. I'm surprised stocks are holding up well on this statement. Perhaps equities are looking ahead to the news conference. The news conference starts in about twenty four minutes time. It goes on to say the FED is waiting for additional data. Can they even articulate why inflation might reaccelerate from Hick pick up on that question, Bob, can you articulate the risk surround inflation? Why might it reaccelerate from here?
Speaker 5: Corporate profitability still looks great. We talked about S and P five hundred earnings. They're coming in ahead of expectations. You look at the guidance companies are giving you. They're up twelve percent next quarter. So we're not in a recession. We're slowing down in some parts of it. We'll see. You know, I can't find really the argument what's going to cause inflation to reaccelerate, to be honest, Well, Rich, we were.
Speaker 4: Talking about how this was definitely going to be unanimous, and I wonder how much of wrangling of cats there is in the room and whether this is basically a representation of that that there's some members who believe that inflation has been killed, it is nowhere in sight that labor is important. And then you have others who say, well, you know, wait for the year over year, cops. Is that kind of what we're seeing here?
Speaker 3: I think it could be an element. You know, we've had some members of the committee, and I know most of these folks, but it's different committee than the one I was on, and many of them do emphasize both sides of the dual mandate, so I'm sure that reflects a number of folks views. I do think though, this is a committee that certainly got burned earlier in this year because the inflation data went the wrong way into their credit. They became very data dependent, as Tom indicated, I think that they put it this way. I think they think they're going to go in September. There is a range of data where they wouldn't, but I think it's a pretty small range, and I think that's really the balance of trying to strike. And I think we'll hear that in the press conference.
Speaker 4: We were speaking earlier with James Bullard formally Saint Louis FED and he was talking about how he always raised the question at meetings that if you wanted to cut rates, most certainly at the next meeting, why not cut him now. Bob was sort of discussing that earlier, and it sets up the sort of difficult period of time where every data point could potentially upset the apple cart if it doesn't comply. Do you think that they are in that zone right now.
Speaker 3: I don't really. I mean, I've certainly during my time on the committee we found ourselves there a couple of times, so it can happen. I think the data we have gotten, you know, the Chair did a lot of communication before blackout, and the data since then has reinforced that view. So I think there's a pretty wide range of data where they'll feel comfortable going in September. So I don't think they're in that danger zone.
Speaker 1: Can you confirm that Jim actually said those things to the FMC mas.
Speaker 3: Well, of course I would never reveal what was said in the FMC ME except what I say, all the brilliant things I said
Speaker 1: So alongside form of FET Vice chair Rich Clouder,