Speaker 1: No playoffs in twenty twenty five led to changes entering the twenty six season. Four Detroit Lions quarterback Jerry Goff joined us to explain how they plan to get their groove back in Motown. Oh, and we can't stop talking about quarterbacks or the teams that haven't settled on theirs.
Speaker 2: With the true.
Speaker 1: Competition set to begin as camp's open, our experts break down the battles. That's right, we're going head over heels as we get ready for the insiders or are.
Speaker 2: We welcome the Monday?
Speaker 1: Here on the insiders, we moved one day closer to the trainee camp. I have joined by our insiders, Ian Rappidboard and Julia Bautista, who can't get enough of watching Cam Scataboo do his thing. We'll get to him later because new today, the Packers in defensive end Devonte Wide have agreed the terms on a new three year, fifty seven million dollar contract. According to Ian Rappaport, Whyott was dunching the final.
Speaker 2: Year of his rookie deal and the Packers' rookies.
Speaker 1: They report to camp a week from today on July twenty seventh, with the veterans arriving on the twenty eighth and news.
Speaker 2: Out of Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 1: Second year of safety Nick Eman war one of the top young defenders in the NFL, will enter training camp on the physically unable to perform lists a team and outs today. Per rules, Eman Warry can be activated at any point during camp when he is medically cleared.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a look.
Speaker 1: At the teams that are going to be reporting to training camp. Is he the Seahawks and Niners rookies already getting to work, and a little bit later on the full rosters for the Panthers and the Cardinals, we'll be getting it going. Is they are the first teams to kick off our preseason on the Pro Football Hall.
Speaker 2: Of Fame Game.
Speaker 1: And let's get back with Judy Batista and Ian Rappaport. Judy, let's start with you and some of the training camp storylines you're most interested in.
Speaker 3: I'm actually interested in three two teams. One of them was on that list of the teams that are opening soon. Bill's Steelers, Ravens, all highly successful teams that have moved on from longtime head coaches who'd had a ton of success.
Speaker 4: At those places.
Speaker 3: Two of them, of course, won Super Bowls for those teams, Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh, all three moving on two of the teams going with rookie head coaches. I am fascinated to see, first of all, how they put their fingerprints on these teams, all of whom are built to win right now. We're showing you the Pittsburgh Steelers, obviously with a forty something quarterback in Aaron Rodgers, they are trying to win right now. But the other two teams, of course have League MVP level quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: They are built to win right now.
Speaker 3: These moves were made to get a new voice in maybe to get some energy and to get them over the hump.
Speaker 4: They haven't been able to get.
Speaker 3: Back to the super Bowl in Pittsburgh, and in Baltimore, and of course in Buffalo, they haven't gotten to the Super Bowl in the Sean mcdonought eres. So it's going to be interesting to see how they put their fingerprints on these franchises. It's a big roll of the dice by ownership to break up with longtime head coaches who were consistently getting you to the playoffs. But we've seen it before. New coaches bring new energy and new messages. Is that going to be enough to get these three teams over the top?
Speaker 5: So many fascinating storylines. Is we get into training camp and I want to focus here, Judy on the quarterbacks, no surprise, and I'll start with the team that is having their players report first. That is the Arizona Cardinals on the twenty second veterans and rookies both reported. As of right now, the Arizona Cardinals do not have their starting quarterback under a contract that he would want to play under. Jacoby Brissette has been over the course of the last several months of rolling in contract negotiations with the team, trying to get a little more money considering he is going into the season as the starter. Sutainly some drama there because if he is not there to take the first team reps, is Carson Becks who could possibly challenge him? And how much do those reps help? Meanwhile, for the Minnesota Vikings, no doubt one of the biggest storylines of all of training camp. They have their quarterback battle as well as Kyler Murray is a JJ McCarthy that is going to be going on throughout camp, through the preseason games, right up to the start of the season obviously has wide ranging ramifications for the organization, but who ends up being their starter will go a long way determining just how these Minnesota Vikings end up doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gonna be one of the top story lines all through training camp all bet we see the games being played in week one. I want to bring things back closer to Los Angeles because they are two high level young pass rushers who are up for contract extensions.
Speaker 2: And let's start with the Chargers. And that's as Tully twea Polo to who is.
Speaker 1: Just coming off a thirteen and a half sack season. Yes, he's playing alongside Khalil Mack, but he is eligible for.
Speaker 2: A contract extension.
Speaker 1: There have been conversations, we're getting closer to the opening of training camp, nothing has been finalized.
Speaker 2: Tua Polo too, only twenty three years old.
Speaker 1: Seems like he's of the age and of the ascension to be a defensive pillar the Chargers.
Speaker 2: Would like to build around. Now let's go over to the Rams.
Speaker 1: Yes, the offseason conversation deservedly has been around their acquisition of Miles Garrett, but Byron Young, another third year player, is coming off of a twelve sacks season. He is somebody in three years who has twenty seven and a half sacks, and with Garrett on the other side, those numbers could continue to go up because.
Speaker 2: The attention that's paid to Garrett.
Speaker 1: One thing that could really hamper young and a big deal is he's twenty eight years old.
Speaker 2: That's kind of old for a third year player.
Speaker 1: But that is going to be something to watch going into camp and through camp because these are two ascending players, Judy and Ian. We will be back with you a little bit later, and let's go to Detroit where their rookies report to training camp Saturday, and the Veterans court on July twenty eighth, and their quarterback Jared Goff, has something to say about how things could go as camp gets going.
Speaker 2: It's be great.
Speaker 6: Let's go, buddy, it'll be great.
Speaker 2: Let's go. Let's go to work today. Fellows back on track, let's go.
Speaker 7: What was that?
Speaker 6: Big?
Speaker 2: And no one's coming up? Tell us make some plays. Let's go. This is the one here. Golf turns gives to Gibbs, Bill, Gilly big, what do you got?
Speaker 5: Gets lit school little still little still blue, Lil score, LIBI still goody.
Speaker 2: That is one of my favorite wins of all time?
Speaker 1: All right, Jared here joining me in Stacey Dales and Jared, I just want to get kind of right to it. How did not making the postseason last year impact the approach heading into training camp?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it made us really hungry, really, it really did. And even though we had a winning record and we were nine and eight, it wasn't good enough. We came in fourth place in our division, and it's it's really you know, we came up in a lot of ways, and finding a way to win our division first again, get back on top of our division we had won it two years prior, and finding a way to win that division and then see what happens when you get to the playoffs. But yeah, we're hungry, man, we really are, and certainly excited to get after it.
Speaker 8: Jared, The relationship between the play caller and the quarterback, as you know firsthand, is so essential. What is that relationship like with Drew Petson, your new offensive coordinator, and how you share ideas and create concepts within this offense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's been awesome.
Speaker 7: He really has been great to work with and I really want to try to be an extension of him on the field, and then hopefully he's an extension of me when coming up with plays throughout the week and having ideas. So it's trying to be on the same page at all times and constant communication. That's what I try to do with him is just talk with him as much as possible, and I know he's doing the same with me, but making sure we're on the same page and understanding each other to the fullest extent. And there will be growing pains, there always is, But up to this point, man, it's been really, really good and I've.
Speaker 6: Had a lot of fun working with him.
Speaker 8: You have so many weapons on this offense. We know the dual threat powerhouse that Jamira Gibbs is'm and Ross Saint Brown three straight all pro seasons. What is it like, Jared working with him as your go to guy and understanding he's just always there for you, and the daily experience of training with him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's the best, he really is. And you know, for I think he's the best wide receiver in the league. I think he's the only guy who catches with it, runs with it, blocks does everything. He can do it all and it's it's a lot of fun to work with him and to play with him and the way he.
Speaker 6: Works in practice, he makes he makes me want to get him the ball.
Speaker 7: He makes me want to reward him for all his hard work, and you know it makes everyone around him work harder. And he's just such a great teammate, great player, great person, and I love playing with him.
Speaker 1: Like you said, the numbers back up the fact that he's one of, if not the best wide.
Speaker 2: Receivers in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Why don't you think he gets more acclaim when people talk about the best wide receivers.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, that's your guys' show. Okay, Yeah, it's on our lab. Well done, Jerry, I'm doing my part. Yeah, exactly. We do what we can do.
Speaker 1: Hey, but Jared, also, you know we see the pizza boxes behind you for little seizures.
Speaker 2: Is what can you tell us about that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I'm honored I was chosen to kind of represent Detroit in that way and to be with the Little Caesars now. I've been seeing them across Detroit for so long and being able to partner with them today and do this campaign will be a lot of fun and I'm excited about it.
Speaker 1: All right, man, Well, good luck we'll talk to you soon, Jered, congratulation.
Speaker 6: Thank you. I'll get you some pizza soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, excellent, I'm down all right.
Speaker 1: I think Jared pipluats pineapple on his pizza too. Another storyline to watch heading into the twenty twenty six NFL season is whether the World Cup reignites the debate over playing surfaces. Spain's one zere A victory over Argentina in the FIFA World Cup Final at Metlive Stadium yesterday once again and put the spotlight on natural grass for the tournament. Fever required MetLife and several other NFL stadiums with artificial turf to install temporary natural grass fields, reinforcing its long standing mandate the world the World Cup matches be played on grass. Some NFL players have voiced their opinions on social media. Here's George Kittle, grass still looks great. Let's use grass instead of turf, Jonathan Taylor natural grass is an out of reach prioritizing players shouldn't be either. We are worth the cost. There's NFL Field director Nick Pappis back in April with Judy Batista at the league meeting, addressing this matter specifically, We've got the.
Speaker 3: World Cup coming to the United States this summer, they're obviously using a bunch of NFL stadiums, so there are grass fields in those stadiums, and.
Speaker 4: Of course everybody wants to know, why can't we just keep those grass fields?
Speaker 2: Nick?
Speaker 9: Yeah, if ever it was so simple, I think, you know, the biggest thing you can to remember about the World Cup tournament is that it's got exclusivity in these buildings, right, And I think that's one of the big pieces. The only thing that's going to see those playing services is going to be World Cup matches, and that's not a normal usage of our venues. The other thing you got to consider is the duration of time. It's only going to be what June and July, and then we'll see those those fields exit our stadium. So it's a short term option. It may work well for the World Cup, it may work well for their athletes, who are very different than our athletes. The demands of the game are also very different, and I think just making sure that that is even a viable option for an NFL venue.
Speaker 2: Is something that still needs to be determined.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't look like anything's going to be changing soon, but look at some of the MetLife Stadium.
Speaker 2: Notable injuries on the artificial surface.
Speaker 1: You're saying Aaron Rodgers, Malik Neighbors ACL and the Bosa ACL, Jimmy Garoppolo Ankle Sterling Shepherd had two injuries on that MetLife Stadium field. So let's bring back Judy Batista and Ian Rapid for wrap, Ian Rappaport for the Sorry about that. I but Judy, this really has reignited the conversation. But will it reignite any changes?
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: You heard Nick Pappas explain, like NFL stadiums are not like what FIFA was demanding. FIFA demanded nothing else go on in those stadiums for weeks ahead of time. The grass was laid down like ten weeks before the World Cup even began, and then, of course the World Cup has been going on for five or six weeks with nothing else happening at that stadium. Well, like MetLife Stadium, for example, has stuff going on constantly, not just giants and jets, games, big concerts, tractor polls, all kinds of events. So it's hard to imagine that that grass field would hold up very well under all of those conditions. And that's the case in most NFL stadiums. Now, there are NFL stadiums that have grass, some better than others.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: There have been complaints about the grass in Pittsburgh and Chicago, not surprisingly their climates are tough like New York is. But in Florida, for example, the Miami Dolphins own their own sub farm and they replace the natural grass regularly because that stadium hard rock does host a whole variety of events, So you.
Speaker 4: Could go that route. Certainly, there is an economic consideration here for a lot of teams.
Speaker 3: The question is are you better off with bad grass than a good artificial turf. The other thing to keep in mind is this conversation is going to.
Speaker 4: Continue to go on.
Speaker 3: There are eventually going to be CBA negotiations between the Players Association and the league, and the Players Association could certainly make a decision to press this issue during those negotiations and then you see if those two sides can come to a deal.
Speaker 5: And that's really going to be fascinating, Judy, because it's one thing to have a grassroots social media push, which seems to be going on now from the NFLP now that their leader JC Tretterer is in charge. And really kind of the first grassroo movements we've.
Speaker 2: Seen under the new leadership.
Speaker 5: It's another thing to say during CBA negotiations that we're going to put our foot down on grass versus turf, when really there are other issues, monetary issues that generally kind of come to the forefront and generate much more of the spotlight. This issue is not going away. The turf is getting much better. I think that's one of the things that the NFL has talked about part of the problem here, Judy, You know this as well as anyone. The NFL has presented the evidence that turf is really not worse than grass on any sort of noticeable level. For whatever reason, people and especially players don't seem to believe it. Getting everyone to understand the real actual evidence will certainly help in this matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, there's that evidence right there.
Speaker 1: But again, with the players are saying the grass actually feels better on their bodies, that's something that should be held into account. And we do know a lot of teams have added grass practice facilities even if they play in their games on turf.
Speaker 2: All right, Judy and Ian, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Kamara down with the Saints back for another season, Another former Saints legend running back is going to be here to talk a little bit more about Camara and his impact in New Orleans. I know, yeah, Cam'scattaboo. Over the weekend, you had to flipping out.
Speaker 2: Oops. I think hopefully we stick the landing a little bit better than that.
Speaker 1: We come back here on the Insiders a little bit more discussion.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Insider's role.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend, Giants running back Cam Scattaboo gave the fans a bit of a scare when he attempted to backflip and fell at fanatics Fest.
Speaker 2: Didn't quite stick to landing, but no need to worry here.
Speaker 1: Scatabou made sure to let everyone know afterwards that he's just fine.
Speaker 2: So when I took off, I was in mid air, like, holy cow, I'm not going to land this. I'm way too high landed. But it had too much cushion.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a stiff, firm ground, so it's wind of kind of like went back safely.
Speaker 6: Landed, got back up, it was good to go.
Speaker 2: So nothing came out from that.
Speaker 5: I'm perfectly fine, nothing happened, We're.
Speaker 2: Good, okay.
Speaker 1: And Jueyt of course he had to reassure he was reassures he was good because he's coming off of a broken tibia and an ankle injury that cost him a big part of his rookie season last year.
Speaker 2: Judy, I saw your reaction on social media.
Speaker 1: How do you think the Giants themselves felt about Skataboo saying being not quite risk averse.
Speaker 3: I think the Giants probably realized this is part of the Cam Stataboo package. If you remember, he actually stuck the landing on a back flip during a charity softball event with his teammates a few months ago, and John Harbaugh joke during mini camp like he told him they maybe not do the backflip so much anymore.
Speaker 4: So maybe that message needs to be delivered. Listen, Cam Scataboo is a.
Speaker 3: Big part of this Team's going to be a big part of this offense, assuming that he is fully healthy coming out of training camp. They want to run the ball, they want to be bullies, they want to dominate the line of scrimmage. They've got a pretty good running back room. It's him Tyrone, Tracy Singletary is still there. They got a bunch of good running backs. They need him to be healthy. They need him to be to bring the electricity that he brings. I thought his relationship with Jackson Dart really powered the movement last year where you saw sparks for the future. Jackson Dart, by the way, is a really good friend and teammate. He said, Wow, that was really great burst that he saw a good explosion. So this is part of what you get with Camp Scataby. You just have to hope he can stay in one piece and he can bring that energy and intensity to the field.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is really the nine Missionnario in so so so many ways. Jude I was spending time with the general manager earlier this summer. You got a call from someone very high up at his organization, and the first thought that this person had seeing the phone call was like, oh my god, because really there's no reason to call a general manager during the summer. Ever, if there's something like cool happening, just text, because any phone call you know it's bad, right, And so if Joe Shane is getting a call about Camps Scattabou hurting himself doing a backflip at some Fanatics event, that is all bad. The other part of this is so much of what teams want to do during the summer is literally just get to training him. Don't anything stupid happen, keep everyone clear out of trouble, no issues, keep everyone healthy.
Speaker 2: Just get them through training camp.
Speaker 5: And in an unforced era, almost camp Scattaboo nearly made that a complete disaster. Everyone just stay on your feet. We got like a week to go that you could.
Speaker 6: Just go back to football and do whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Guys the window guys who suffered big injuries while they are jet skiing, while they're all playing basketball, things like that that have enabled them not to get to training camp. Had he stuck the landing, I think we would have been okay. But he did cause a little bit bit of a start.
Speaker 5: All right, a week or so to go intil the Green Bay Packers reports to training camp and they are doing some work, as they have done really for much of this offseason. They're making sure that some of their young stars get paid. The latest defensive lineman, Devonte Wide, gets a three year, fifty seven million dollar contract extension, twenty million dollars in a signing bonus, and a deal done by Win Sports. Devonte White is coming off the best season of his career, overcoming a broken leg at the end, but still, I mean really looks like the butting star that the Packers hoped he would be, which now means, Judy, there is one more star for the green Bay Packers that still is doing a contract extension. Tucker Craft coming up a touring ACL surely now the target for Green Bay. The hope is at some point before the season he will be the latest Packer to cash in on a huge deal, Judy.
Speaker 3: Another team getting ready to report Cleveland. Brown's veterans are reporting July twenty and one of the biggest storylines of the summer is their quarterback competition and now healthy Deshaun Watson versus the incumbent second year quarterback Shador Sanders. Back in the spring, Watson didn't seem to take an early league. Then Shador made.
Speaker 2: Up some ground.
Speaker 3: Coach Todd Munkinhead originally wanted to name a starter coming out of the spring.
Speaker 4: He ended up not doing that.
Speaker 3: He wanted to see more work, so training camp starts with a true competition. Keep an eye on those joint practices and preseason games. Here's Shador on the state of play in Cleveland.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I would say it's the same thing that we've been saying from day one. You know, we're both trying to be the best version of ourselves we could be, so we're not going to let anything get in between of that. So it's a level of respect you know that we all in the quarterback room have for each other, and we're not really emotional when it comes to things that we can't control. We mainly focus on and thrive on getting better and the work every day.
Speaker 2: So if I.
Speaker 10: Like something doing, I ask if he looks up like some I do it, and I asked, like is conversation and that's what's most effective.
Speaker 2: All right, let's bring in Mark Rowson.
Speaker 1: Stacy dials for more on the quarterback battles to watch heading into.
Speaker 2: Camp, and Mark, let's start right there in Cleveland. What about that competition.
Speaker 11: Well, look, as a personnel apartment, you always want the best player to win the job, to give you the best chance to win, but you also have to take in effect what you have invested in these players. And for the Browns That'sted a fifth round pick in Shador Sanders, and they have invested Stacy two hundred and thirty three million and counting for Deshaun Watson. So if all things are equal throughout training camp. If it is a true open competition, or if they haven't already know that Deshaun's going to be the guy, then I would think they have to lean to Deshaun Watson to be the guy, just because of how much they have invested. Shador a lot younger, of course, has time, so at his best. Of course, DeShawn Watson was a top five pick. We haven't seen that in a long long time. Shaudor showed the flashes last year. Stacey needs more consistency. But if all else is equal, I gotta figure they got to go with the Shan is the guy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I think he's a hair ahead right now. If you talk to people there in Cleveland, listen, Todd Munkin was brought in to fix a problem. He was a former quarterback and he was brought in to fix not only this offense, but this quarterback issue.
Speaker 4: It's a carousel.
Speaker 8: It's been one there in Cleveland since twenty twenty thirteen, different starting quarterbacks, and so here he comes to fix the thirtieth rank total offense in terms of yards, thirty first in scoring, they were worst in yards per play, and Shador Sanders has had a very good offseason. Remember back to back achilles injuries, those ruptures. Hasn't played essentially game football since January of twenty five, but he's been really sound through the course of OTA's He's driving the ball, as Todd Munkin has talked about, and he's shown signs of that mobility that we became so accustomed to. Perhaps this could be a potential comeback a Player of the Year should.
Speaker 2: He be the guy.
Speaker 8: And again, by all reports out of Cleveland, he seems to be a hairhead of Shador who also has shown signs of improvement. He was their best passer last season, Steve, and he has shown better decision making up the line of scrimmage. But nonetheless, it'll be a quarterback competition. They are splitting reps starting in training camp.
Speaker 2: Whoever wins a job.
Speaker 1: Let's not forget the Browns heavily invest in their offensive line in free agency and in the draft, and they got him two young wide receivers.
Speaker 2: In the draft.
Speaker 1: So whoever comes in is going to come in with with an offensive staff to help support them. All right, Mark, back to you, Minnesota. Another storyline with that quarterback battle, give us some insight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well this is two guys in two different directions. Kyler Murray trying to resurrect his career.
Speaker 11: You know, people forget how well he played offensive Rookie of the Year, a couple of Pro Bowls, and JJ McCarthy just trying to prove he can be the guy.
Speaker 2: And of course, again when I talked about the.
Speaker 11: Investment in these players, if you try right up to draft the quarterback with a tenth pick in the draft, as the Vikings did for JJ McCarthy, you want him to be your guy, not just for this year, but for the long term. Of course, only playing paying Kyler Murray one point three million just because of the past contract, but they would want Jada to perform and looked well. But I think Kyler Murray definitely gives them the best chance, especially how nasty that defense is. Kyler, with still some playmaking, just has to get a little bit more comfortable consistent in what he does.
Speaker 8: Stacy, Yeah, and it's an unusual situation for Kyler Murray. He's always been the starter in his career and now he's having to share fifty to fifty reps with JJ McCarthy. And what does that mean, Well, you're getting less reps. So if you were room for error, less room for error what I'm looking for in training camp? A couple things. Shockingly, the Minnesota Vikings finished dead last with thirty giveaways offensively last season.
Speaker 2: They went through a carousel of quarterback.
Speaker 8: Speaking of carousel, JJ McCarthy, Carson Wentz, Max Brosmer, And so you're looking that stability from the position. But who values the football through training camp? Which is hard to do because if you're Kyler Murray, you're learning a new offense. There will be mistakes. But ultimately I have one player circled that is Justin Jefferson. Mark you mentioned him career lows. He's still at over one thousand receiving yards, but twelve and a half yards per catch, two touchdowns receiving the football.
Speaker 4: He was frustrated.
Speaker 8: It was frustrating to watch which guy has the most chemistry starting with Justin Jefferson. Those are things KOC is going to be looking at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bingos, Stacy, you nailed it right there. And look, I don't think they brought Kyler Murray in there to be a backup. If they had that much faith in JJ McCarthy, they wouldn't have gone with a veteran like that, as you said, someone who is used to being the guy. Now one of the most intriguing quarterback battles down in Atlanta, Mark Ross. Two lefties battling for the job and the same type of scenario though, as you just explained in Minnesota.
Speaker 11: Yeah, for sure, as I talked about in Minnesota, the Atlanta Falcons took Michael Pennick with the eighth pick. In TUA, they're basically have the bargain rate for him and for Kevin Stefanski. You know, you talked about Stacey talked about Cleveland the quarterback Caarra, so Kevin Stefanski was a part of that. Now he comes down to Atlanta and still doesn't have that quarterback stability.
Speaker 2: And to me, this is going to come down to who can stay out of the training room.
Speaker 11: You know, Pennix is coming off the injury off, injured in college, banged up here and now Tua. Of course we know his long injury history as well, So who can stay on the field is going to.
Speaker 2: Win the job.
Speaker 11: Of course, Pennix showed a lot of promise in his short time there. Short stand especially that connection with Drake London and the rejuvenated Kyle Pitts. You know, Tua at his best, the timing throws, the throws in the middle, getting the ball out, quick, quick decisions, and you just didn't see that last year where he looked almost like a shot fighter, and he just didn't have that same sort of quick minding, quick release that he showed in the past. So we'll see if he can regain the early career or two.
Speaker 2: Of at his best. But Penix, to me, definitely gives him the best chance.
Speaker 11: And of course the people here the front office will want him to win the job because we've.
Speaker 2: Spent the eighth pick of the draft on this guy. Stacey.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and unfortunately, so coming back from that ACL that left ACL the third mark of his career, he is roughly by training camp, nine months into the rehabilitation process, cleared to throw the football in March, but kind of liking it to Patrick Mahomes right, got to ease him back into this thing, which you would assume, regardless of our opinions, that Tua is out there throwing the football and in this sort of quick game screens play action with Kevin Stefanski, moved the chains. He's got a quick trigger now, I just want to give a shout out to our research guy Lawan Jones.
Speaker 2: Just a little nugget for our viewers.
Speaker 8: Last time we had two lefties on a team in the National Football League per la Quan nineteen ninety seven with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Mark Brunell was the starter. Steve Matthews was the third stringer. So cool storyline there. Whatever man takes this job, ultimately this season, the backup will be essential.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 8: You talked about it and alluded to the injury history. This is a very important quarterback situation in Atlanta because of that injury history, and the backup will matter regardless of who the starter is.
Speaker 2: That's right, guys.
Speaker 1: I mean it might not matter who starts, might matters who finishes. All right, Now, let's say you to Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 1: We know Clint Kubiak, new head coach of the Raiders say the first not to start a rookie that he needs to learn behind a veteran. You've got Kirk Cousins, but you also got the top pick in Fernando Mendoza. Change his mind for me. Why should Fernando be the guy? Yeah, he has to be the guy.
Speaker 11: Clint Kubeck took that job for Bernando Mendoza, not for Kirk Cousins. And Fernando Mendoza with so much success and so much playtime that he had in college, I.
Speaker 2: Think he's ready, He's mature to do it.
Speaker 11: And when you really look, the old school thinking was let the guys sit, But the last few years, just look at last year, even though cam Ward and Jackson Dark and Tyler Shuck struggled some, that you showed the promise and now going in a year two you feel so much better about them having And then going two years ago with Caleb Williams and Jaydon Daniels and Bo Nix and Drake May who struggled year one, but then year two went to the Super Bowl because he put together and took those lumps.
Speaker 2: And now they're ready to go.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and Fernando will eventually be the guy, Mark and Steve, but for now, Clint Kubiak, let's be clear, he's told us Kirk Cousins is the guy, and maybe until his performance and play deems otherwise. But hey, Kubiak was with him in Minnesota a few years ago, helped coach him to a Pro Bowl. Kirk Cousins and I want to leave one thought overarching all of this. Tom Brady is looking at this whole darn thing, and guess who he had to sit behind there in New England, a guy named Drew Bledsoe. So he's telling Fernando Mendoza, you better be careful, you better retain, you better learn how to not make the same mistake twice. And you've got a leader in Kirk Cousins that you should be learning from. And Kubiak has stated, Stephen Mark, we're counting on Kirk Cousins to teach him, show him how it's done, show him the ropes. But you still have Tom Brady over there helping this young man too. He is surrounded by brilliance in the game and will eventually be brilliant, you'd think because of that.
Speaker 1: Speaking of brilliant, Station Mark, you brought it to this segment, we will be done talking about this again. That's gonna be a theme all through training camp and we come back, we're going to talk about another quarterback, Tyler Shupp down in New Orleans as former Sage running back in their current radio color analyst Duce McCallister.
Speaker 2: Joins the show next.
Speaker 1: Well, we've got a lot of excitement around the New Orleans Saints heading into training camp, in part because our ian Rappaport reported Alvin, the veteran.
Speaker 2: Running back whose status was a little up in the air, has.
Speaker 1: Reworked his contract to be back in the Saints backfield in twenty twenty six. He'll be joined by newcomer Travis atn So. For more on that backfield and more Saints talk, let's bring in former Saints running back Deuce McCallister, who also does radio for the Saints.
Speaker 2: Deuce, always good seeing you, And let's start.
Speaker 1: Right there about the potential of this backfield. Alvin Kamara. We know the versatility he brings, but now they pair him with Travis Hen what can those two do in tandem.
Speaker 6: Well, you're really pleased that Alvin was able to get the deal done. And you know with the organization, anytime that you have a player and a team trying to work through a contract, that's always a source spot. But you're happy to have that kind of out of the way. And now you look, you want to get back to football, and so Alvin will tell you that, hey, look he still has something left in the tank. And being able to partner with a you know, hopefully that gives him that one to two duo that this offense has really missed the last couple of years. I mean when you go and looking up, you haven't had a ton of explosives. As something that Travis can add to that mix and take some of that pressure off from just having to be the league guy. I think that definitely him as well.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 1: Again, I met a lot of excitement around the Saints. I think part of it's with this offense because of quarterback Tyler Shuck Duce. You were there, you saw him the last two thirds of the season last year. He added a complete new element to this offense, completed a high number of his passes, especially in that intermediate range. What are the expectations for Shock going into the season.
Speaker 6: Well, I think when you talk about Tyler, you just want to see some growth. I think that's probably the most important part when you talk about not only from a leadership standpoint, but you have to be able to do it on the field. And you can talk about the last half of that season how they were able to put some wins together. Him go out there get some experience. But now I see some growth from that stage and from that standpoint, they the Saints have done a really good job. You've added to the offensive line with Edward gi We're able to get some speed on the outside, and I think that was probably the most critical thing for this offense. You know, one being able to run the football, take some pressure off of that young quarterback, but then be able to add to that not only tight end room offensive line, but on the outside as far as receiver being able to have some explosive plays. That's what this offense needs. It's always hard to grind out a ten to twelve play drive in the NFL. If you can have a couple of guys that can take the top off of that defense, that definitely helps you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, drafted Jordan Tyson in the first round, the wide receiver to go with Chris Alave. You got two guys who can really go. Let's go also go revisit a little bit of retaining a veteran cam. Jordan decided to sign the one year deal to come back. How important is that coming off a ten and a half sack season to get him back in the mix of a defense that was much better than people give it credit for.
Speaker 6: Yeah, rich better and I think you know, for Cam it was an opportunity to kind of finish some things that he had started. You know, he had some opportunities to go to some other places, but for him just being able to talk to him, you know, not only wanting to finish finish his career in New Orleans, but I think the aspect of the wife and kids, you know, just missing some of that home feeling for them and just being able to say, Okay, you know, I have a good situation here. I know, and I understand the defense. I know, and I understand, you know, kind of my playing situation. It was something that he felt good about, and so to be able to get him not only from a leadership standpoint, but just to be able to say, hey, look can you produce those type of numbers that you did the year before? And so if he can come close to that, I think it's a win win situation for both groups. I mean, because you're going to have some leadership, so avoid there not having Tomorrio Davis who was able to go to New York with the Jetsons. So I know that you signed some other guys to be able to fill that void. As far as Okay, nellis is a guy that you know really well over from Atlanta. He comes back to New Orleans, he tries to play that role of to Mario, but having Cam there and just being able to go out there and produce. I think that that will help that Saints defense, you know, to be able to play at an elite level, you know, kind of like they did most of the year last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially with Chase hung on that other edge really coming into his own last season, the big things expected out of him.
Speaker 2: I want to take you to a little bit.
Speaker 1: Of your career as it comes back on the twenty year milestone this year, Week four of Monday Night Football, the NFL season, twentieth anniversary of that first game back in the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina, A game you played in, a game the Saints won.
Speaker 2: We know how big of a game that was.
Speaker 1: What was it like when you look back twenty years ago, not only the impact and magnitude of that game itself, but what it has meant for Saints football.
Speaker 2: In that city.
Speaker 6: Just thinking about it, you know, it's hard to bath on that it's been twenty years, you know, when you think about Hurricane Katrina and being being able to continue to play in duals. You know that was even in doubt itself, and you see the block there by Steve Gleason, and just to be able to have that moment, not only as a return as a player, but you know, a team, a city, just to be able to bring some hope, you know. I think that was probably the most important thing for us, just because you were vagabonds the year before, the unknown whether you would return to New Orleans, whether the city of New Orleans would be viable you know long term, and you've seen some of the growth you've seen, you know, not only the organization be able to step up and be a better team than it kind of was, you know, or at least was thought of prior to that time. And so you know, there's a lot of work that still has to be done for an organization to be able to get back to the least status. I think it starts with the quarterback. I think that you may have that in place now, you know, you around him so soon, But when you think about that game, that moment, it meant a lot, not only to the organization but to the city, to the region, and just brought a lot of hope, and you know, the team was able to kind of reward the city and the safe with the Super Bowl in two thousand and nine. You know, a couple of years after treaming talk.
Speaker 1: About meaning a lot to the city in the organization, your quarterback, Drew Brees going to the Pro Football Hall of Fame at ken Ohio in a couple of weeks. What can you tell us about Drew to some of the memories and how deserving he is of this honor.
Speaker 6: Well, it's definitely deserving, and you know, just you know, just a small part that I was able to play in that picture. You're definitely you're thankful for it. And so you know, for Drew and his kids, his wife Brittany, all the things that they meant to this city in New Orleans and the things that they still mean to this city and to this organization. You know, you're you're proud, You're happy for him, you know, because we saw the work. You know a lot of people, you hear the stories, you know about some of the things from a preparation standpoint. You know, you see Drew and you think, man, he's not that big. You know, he doesn't fit the typical sixty four you know, two twenty type of quarterback. But maybe from a physical standpoint, he didn't beat you. He beat you up top, and so he still had a strong enough arm. He was still a good enough at league where he could move into pocket and manipulate it, be able to see things kind of before they happen, and just his preparation. And so you know, he's definitely deserving of the Hall of Fame. And you know, like I said, just for myself and some of the other guys that were able to play a small part in you know, that that time that he had here in New Orleans. Man, we're so proud of him. You know who can't wait to celebrate with it?
Speaker 1: All right, dude, don't tell yourself short man, you play a little bit more of a small part.
Speaker 2: You were a baller.
Speaker 1: People go back and google up for twenty six Duce mccallis are doing his thing.
Speaker 2: Hey, brother, appreciate you taking some time. All the best, no problem, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Insiders. Here is the full list of first time head coaches to win the Super Bowl. That's right, there are two of them. Don McCafferty with the nineteen seventy Baltimore Colts and of course George Seaffert with the eighty nine San Francisco forty nine ers.
Speaker 4: There's a chance we could have a coach to do that this year.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about that now with Ian Rappaport, Mark Ross, and Stacy Elsall returning with me.
Speaker 4: Judy Batista.
Speaker 3: All right, Stacey, I want to start with you, because Joe Brady takes the helm with the Buffalo Bills. They have been a Super Bowl contender for the last few years. Can he get them over the top?
Speaker 8: Why can't he right the relationship that he has built with his quarterback since twenty twenty two when he was the quarterbacks coach, morphed into the OC and called the plays there to the tune of the fourth best offense last year in football. They were number one against the rush. Josh Allen a huge part of that. Thirty nine total touchdowns for the quarterback, twenty five through the air, fourteen on the ground, and then of course James Cook led the league with over sixteen hundred rushing yards. He was sensational again, number one rushing attack in football. So Brandon Bean, this organization brought back Joe Brady through the interview process because they wanted to keep that continuity. Yes, they have a new defensive coordinator in Jim Leonard by way of the Denver Broncos, but maintaining that continuity, that foundation of thus between the play caller and the quarterback. And the quarterback is an MVP level quarterback. Why not with the energy. One of my favorite pregame conversations in the league is with Joe Brady when I have one of their games. He's innovative, the players love him, and we'll see what happens on the defensive side of the ball. As you guys know, it's going to come down to clock management, fourth down for brady teams, situations, situational football, those will be the areas we'll see how he impacts as the head coach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Joe Brady can get this team a couple plays better, one or two plays better, No doubt. He can become a rare, rare for year head coach to go deep into the playoffs, and we will see obviously plenty talented and off our mark. What about Jesse Mintter with the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 2: Take me through that one. Well, so eerily similar.
Speaker 11: I mean, these situations are almost the same with Jesse Mintzer there and Joe Brady where you've got the franchise quarterback. You've been on the doorstep of being the best team in the league making it to the super Bowl. Joe Brady's the offensive side of the ball, but jesse Minter is on the defensive side, and he has to entrust a new young offensive coordinator there in Decklan Doyle to take Lamar Jackson's game to another level, you know. And for jesse Minner, we saw the Baltimore defense struggle last season, you know, his charges to get those guys right, with Trey Henkerson and Kalaias Campbell, Jalen Hawkins coming in there, Zion Young.
Speaker 2: The rookie there in the second round. So so similar.
Speaker 11: I can't imagine in history there's been two coaches that got put into better situations at the same time than these two guys.
Speaker 3: Judy, you know, the AFC felt so wide open last year. No Burrough, no Lamar, no Mahomes in the playoffs, Josh Allen out early. That set of circumstances is probably not going to repeat itself. Let's hope it doesn't repeat itself. Going to be really interesting to see if Joe Brady and Jesse Mentor can break through that very crowded field.
Speaker 4: Guys, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a hood a part in Cincinnati on New Year's Eve against the Ravens.
Speaker 2: As the Bengals are having a white stripe.
Speaker 1: Out, so to speak, as they're asking fans in certain sections to wear white tops, others wear black tops so it can resemble the Bengal tiger stripes.
Speaker 2: Can be a really cool event. Hey, how'd they get my workout video from this morning?
Speaker 1: I mean, oh wait, wait, that's trips in wherfs of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers just ripping up about oh I'm guessing about four hundred.
Speaker 2: That is an awful lot. And teams reporting to camp tomorrow. You see them right there.
Speaker 1: The Patriots, the Dolphins, the Panthers, the Bills, the Texans, all their rookies will.
Speaker 2: Be showing up. You know, we'll also be showing up tomorrow. Right here, we will be showing up on the Insiders.
Speaker 1: I am Steve White and also signing off for Jumiy Batista, Ian Rappaport, Stacy Deals and Mark Ross for the Insiders.
Speaker 2: Thanks a ton, have a good night. We'll see you on Tuesday.
Speaker 7: Before