Speaker 1: And it is Justin Robleski up the Dodgers. He is a World Series champions joining us right now. Hey, Justin, great to have you on. Thank you so much for joining us. How are you today, and how is your off season heading into camp here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I'm good, I'm good. I'm glad to be on here with you guys. Off season has been great. It's starting to ramp up, so short, short off season, but that's kind of how you want it, right, So it's been it's been good.
Speaker 1: How do you handle that the short offseason? Was there anything done differently for you to make sure that you felt okay heading into camp here? And it seems like one of the themes for the Dodgers in general will be let's be careful with everyone. It's a marathon, and that plan worked for them in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I think, you know, answering your first question, I think I had I had some good experience with it last year. I know, you know, I wasn't on the postseason rosters and everything last year, but I was still, you know, let's stay camp, staying ready for the season, So I kind of had a little bit of taste of how to do that and how to kind of work through a little bit shorter of a time to get ready, especially with us going to Japan last year, So this year is a little longer than that, a little more time than that. So I think kind of figuring that out last year helped and then just kind of more of the same this year.
Speaker 4: Does it help or hurt you? Justin that you're there early?
Speaker 5: You kind of mentioned it that you had to be there early last year for the Japan series. But with the WBC, you're there early. I'm guessing you're camp. Did you guys report yet?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Have you guys reported report tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Is tomorrow is the official physicals and all that fun stuff.
Speaker 6: So but a lot of guys are already out here.
Speaker 4: That's what I thought.
Speaker 5: So does that help you or hurt you? Because it does condense the offseason, but it also makes you throw more, and for someone like you, it also in spring training because some of your guys aren't going to be there. The Dodgers we know, don't push everybody. Gives you a chance to maybe get a few more innings and show them more of how valuable you can be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's definitely. I mean, I think, you know, to each guy it's different. I I personally am not a guy that takes a ton of time off. Just I've I've tried it really one offseason in my professional career, and I didn't really like the way I felt coming out of it. So for it, for me, it's like, you know, this year, for example, I took probably a week and a half off and then I was done again.
Speaker 6: So I don't love to take a ton of time off.
Speaker 3: I feel like I lose feel, I feel like I stiffen up a little bit. And I think if you look at a lot of guys in the past that have played the game for a long time, a lot of them don't take a ton of time off.
Speaker 6: So I felt like that was the best thing for me.
Speaker 3: And yeah, like you said, I think there's a lot of opportunity even though we're filled up. I think for a guy like me that they can kind of provide, you know, wear multiple different hats with this team. I think I hope to uh to continue to prove that I can do that, and whether it's in a starting capacity, whether it's in a long man capacity, whether it's in leverage, you know, low leverage whatever, I think is proving that versatility is helpful for a team like this, And I think also a lot of it with how we run things speaks to the amount of talent that we have in our organization, how good they are developing guys, because you know, you look around and pretty much everybody you see is really really good, And a lot of guys you know in our locker room and even in Triple A, would would be getting chances with other teams. So it's it's a great, great organization to be a part of, obviously, and I think you know it pushes each and every one of us to be better.
Speaker 2: When I spent most of my career in the minor leagues, people would always say I'd rather be in the big leagues than in Triple A with a World Series team. We get to ask you this, you unfortunately had to spend time in Triple A. You just mentioned it, how good the team is, how you know everything. Would you rather be on the Dodgers and know there's a chance you're going to Triple A like you had last year, but the World Series or Justin Robleski third day, third starter, a rotation for any of the other teams that doesn't quite have the best chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's it's a funny question. I've definitely been I've definitely thought about it before. I've been asked before. And you know, I think you love to pitch in the big leagues. I think pitching the big leagues is ultimately the you know, everyone's goal and what you want to do. And obviously you get paid a little better too, so that's not bad. But you know, I think being with this team, I think, you know, we're gonna look back ten fifteen years from now and be like, man, that was that was a special, special thing.
Speaker 6: To be a part of.
Speaker 3: And not everybody gets the chance to to pitch in postseason games and be a part of these you know, postseason runs. And you know, I've been a part of two teams that have one World Series now, so it's it's hard to say. I definitely wouldn't trade the rings for the world. You know, I love to win. I love to you know, get that feeling and and kind of pitching games that matter. And it's also tough because at the same end, like, yeah, I'd love to you know, be starting games and kind of get the chance to do that, and but I think, you know, I love to win, So I think.
Speaker 6: Wherever I go, I want to win.
Speaker 3: And I know that's not always the case a lot of places, but just wherever I'm gonna get opportunity, whether it's here, whether it's somewhere else, whether it's anywhere, I think, you know, you want to win, and I think it's hard to. It's hard to, you know, trade stuff that's that you can't really put a price on. So I think final answer, I think I'd rather be with with this team than than any other team, just because it's it's a really really special thing to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Justin, don't lie.
Speaker 5: Someday you'll be a part of Team Poland I'll be the manager and that'll be like twenty thirty in the WBC.
Speaker 4: So that will take over.
Speaker 5: All of this rest of this World Series crap you're talking about exactly.
Speaker 6: That'll be That'll be Yeah, that'll be number one for sure.
Speaker 5: Scott and Eric say, the WBC means more than the World Series, but we don't have time to get into that. We'll just let you what does let you enjoy your two rings.
Speaker 4: Okay, but I do want to go back the World Series.
Speaker 5: I do want to go back to the World Series because you had you had two two really important things that you did in this World Series. One, you pitch in the eighteen inning game and you pitch in like the sixth, sixth, and seventh inning, and then it went eleven innings and you had nothing to do.
Speaker 4: So I want to know what you were doing.
Speaker 5: And then two, we used to have Andre Semenez on here all the time. Why did you throw at him? And why did you start a.
Speaker 4: Fight with him? Because he's like the nicest guy in the.
Speaker 3: Whole world, all right, So question number one, question number one. During that game, it was kind of like it was pretty funny because like after you come out of the game, honestly, for me, it's like you like during the game, you're fine, like cause that's kind of your realm, Like you're kind of in control of what's going on. You're in control of your you know, prep and getting ready and all this and that, and you know, and then you go on the game and you're still in control their because like that's what you do, that's your domain, you know. I think for me, I like to think of it as like you know, I am there to perform, I'm there to pitch my best, I'm there to you know, do all that, and so just kind of you're in that mindset, that mode that you get into when you play, and then when you come out, it's like, you know, there's a lot more nerves there when you come out than when you're in the game. So I was just kind of hanging with the boys, really the crew that was there that that wasn't on the roster, and we just had a great group and just kind of hanging out watching the game, you know, doing anything we could to try and get some runs, you know, outfit changes, shoe changes, all this and that, and it finally ended up working.
Speaker 6: We would have won the game probably about three or four times.
Speaker 3: If the marine layer wasn't so heavy that night, Like I think Tayo had a ball that was scorched. It's a home run most days. Freddie even had one earlier in the game. They probably would have been a home run most days. But it was real heavy and kind of cold that night, so like not cold, but like la chili whatever, so the ball wasn't flying as much.
Speaker 6: And yeah, but it was. It was a really crazy experience.
Speaker 3: And then what obviously Will ended up doing, and that game was crazy and just kind of watched it all in full.
Speaker 6: Was wild. That's my answer Number one. Number two.
Speaker 3: Obviously, once you get to someone of two strikes, that is the best time to throw at them. No, but like I'm not trying to I'm not trying to throw at anybody. My second back to back of my career, you know, obviously came up as a starter. I'm sure that had something to do with it. I'm sure you know World Series Juice had something to do with it. And yeah, unfortunately, just had three go. My miss is up an armside and usually people get out of the way, and he tried and he didn't, and it hit him and I wasn't trying to hit him, but you know, he was upset, and obviously it's a heat of the moment thing, like you're both out there competing, and he said something to me, so I said something back, and yeah, it's just it's just the game we love, right, Like, it's just you know, you're out there compete at the highest level and the biggest moments and sometimes, you know, I'm sure I'm sure he'd probably say something similar. You just kind of blackout and stuff happens, and that's the game, and that's why we love it. But yeah, obviously there's no intent there. And it's kind of crazy that it all happened on that stage because I think that's the first time the benches have ever cleared with me on the mound or anything like that has ever happened. But that's just kind of who I am when I'm out there. I think I have to be a more of like a I don't know, it's hard to explain, but some guys have to be real calm. I'm kind of the opposite of that, and that's just something you learn as you play.
Speaker 2: You did say that was your first back to back, correct.
Speaker 3: Second I had one against Cincinnati, I believe, But I think the second back, the second part of that back to back was like a third or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, so take us to the end of game seven, when Yamamoto came out and was like, Robleski, here's a back to back. I'll take care of this.
Speaker 6: It was the coolest shit I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: I'm excuse my language, but it was the coolest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 6: I remember because that game.
Speaker 3: Honest obviously, I was a little more like you know, if game whatever.
Speaker 6: Game three, the one that went really long. Like I was nervous.
Speaker 3: When I came out of the game Game seven, it was like, oh my gosh, Like I still knew, like I still had a good feeling.
Speaker 6: We were gonna win the game.
Speaker 3: But you know, like the way that game happened was just you know, I get chills just talking about it.
Speaker 6: Like so many cool things happened.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm in the I'm in the weight room, and in Toronto, the weight rooms kind of right next to the dugout right there and the new renovations or whatever, and so I'm in like I was pacing in the in the weight room and I see like the lights turn off, and I look up and I was like, is that Yama like running in it? And it's sure as sure as I was, And you know, he came in and just just crazy man.
Speaker 6: Just he's a dog.
Speaker 3: He's you know, worth way more than what he's paid, even if he's being paid all these millions of dollars.
Speaker 6: You know, he's he's a he's a dog.
Speaker 3: He's uh, he's not like the traditional like what you think of as like an ace type picture, like he's not he's just he's just a special, special talent man, his ability to manipulate the and his ability to you know, make pitches when it matters, And you know, I think that was just a testament to kind of who he is as a person and who he is as a player.
Speaker 6: He's he's the man.
Speaker 3: And I was really really super honestly, not only like was it the coolest thing I've ever seen? I was just super happy for him because you know, he deserves you know, every moment like that, because he's just He's just the man, and it's been fun to see him work the past couple of years.
Speaker 2: You had a Hall of Famer in your bullpen in the World Series. Did you ever look over at Kershaw and go like, how is this for this guy? Like, I get it. I've been starting in Triple A. This guy's been starting in the show for decades, Like how is he in the bullpen? And did you guys have to kind of like, hey, relax, Clayton, Like this is a long game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's It's funny because you know, she In was the same way. You know, she like being the bullpen. I remember the first couple of games when he was down there. It was just like for a lot of those guys that they've been starting forever, it's like a little bit of like they don't know what to do with themselves, because when you're starting, you have such a like regiment and like I'm doing this and I'm doing this, and I'm doing this and I'm doing this, and then the game started and then you're just pitching. But in the pen, it's just like a big like there's just a lot more anxiety, a lot more you know, and if you haven't experienced it or learned how to like work through it or use it to your advantage, it's tough.
Speaker 6: And I think, you know.
Speaker 3: Curseh, even this being his last year, it was just like, you know, he was still trying to learn from the guys that were down there on how to do it, and you know, even asking younger guys like you know, Jack and I and whatever.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 3: That's one thing I noticed about Cursh is like he was always willing to learn. And that's kind of again another thing that makes him great is I think he was always willing to change things and do things to make himself better, no matter you know who it was from. And that was something I thought was really cool about him, is he was just asking around everybody like what do you guys do?
Speaker 6: What do you guys do? Just kind of figuring it out.
Speaker 3: And obviously he did a good job, and you know, came in and got that huge out and the long game and then it was about to come in there in that game seven. So but yeah, it's it's funny. It's a tough transition to make. I think it's easier for some guys than others for whatever reason. And but yeah, it's it's a crazy, crazy thing. And it was really crazy to kind of, yeah, look over there and sit in the bullpen with Kersh at the end of his career, and it's just like, what is going on? Like because you know, you talked to me ten years ago and say, hey, you're gonna be in a World Series and you'll be sitting in the bullpen with Kursh and even just being a part of you know, i'd say, one of the best baseball teams of all time in these past two years and it's it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 5: Justin, did anybody on your team, and I know he's Clayton Kershaw ever say cursed you keep your shirt on, buddy for for for.
Speaker 4: The rest of us.
Speaker 5: Dads like me, like right, Like I would never just be like I'm gonna walk around constantly with my shirt off at my age, I'm much older than Cursh's. But did nobody ever say like, hey, Curse, maybe today just keep your shirt on.
Speaker 3: I mean, he can, you can kind of do what you want, you know what I mean. The guy's got a lot of hardware. He's done a lot in this game, and he's showing it off.
Speaker 6: Man. I mean, whatever whatever it is, it works, It worked for a.
Speaker 3: Long time, so you know what I mean, Maybe he's just setting an example saying like this is what greatness looks like, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: But no, it's it's uh, you know, Cursh was big.
Speaker 3: Curseh was big on you know, shirtless Sundays and all that fun stuff. And so he's a he's a great guy to have in the clubhouse, great guy to be around. Just just super super down to earth, super humble and and just just a great, great teammate and and guy that you know, I was so blessed and lucky to play with and learn from obviously over these past two years because and being someone that I looked up to growing up was was huge. So but yeah, he's the man. No, no one ever told him to keep his shirt on.
Speaker 6: I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone in that clubhouse has the right to tell him what to do at a baseball field.
Speaker 5: That's fair, that's fair, But shirtless Sundays. I don't even want to know what that meant. So we're just gonna skip.
Speaker 2: Over that real quick. But here's what about him.
Speaker 5: I'm not That's why I skipped it. But here's the thing. Do you think that when in twenty twenty nine or twenty thirty, when you're on Team Poland, that Clayton Kershaw will still be pitching for Team USA because he retired. But here he is pitching in the WBC for Team USA.
Speaker 6: So here's the thing. His he just had another new baby, so at that time.
Speaker 3: He might have like gotten out of baseball for a little bit, and then he'll be back ramping up at that time, if I had to guess so. But no, he's got a lot of kids to work to worry about now, so hopefully hopefully that'll keep him out of our way, you know what I mean, And hopefully we want to see him perfect good.
Speaker 2: That's smart, justin two questions. It's about jewelry. Have you worn last year's ring and have you seen what the new ring for this year is going to look like?
Speaker 3: Of course I've worn last year's ring, but not in public, just like you know, around the house sometimes just just.
Speaker 2: One shirtless Sunday, shirtless Sunday, just the ring.
Speaker 3: No, see, you're you're misunderstanding in the way shirtless Sunday works.
Speaker 6: That's the problem. So but no, it's it's uh.
Speaker 3: Sometimes wear it around the house sometimes just look at it, all that fun stuff, but it's just kind of hard because those rings are so big. It's like, I don't want to wear that in public. And you know what I mean, Like I like what the Thunder did with their ring where there's that little ring inside of it. You can kind of wear around that thing. It's kind of a good touch. I haven't seen what ours look like this year, but I'm sure if there anything like last year, they're going to be incredible. And yeah, it's crazy that I get to talk about, Yeah, last year's was good, maybe this years will be better kind of thing, which is pretty funny to think about. But yeah, it's it's super cool. I'm I'm excited to see it I'm sure they're gonna do a great job with.
Speaker 2: It, right. No, No, I didn't have any more questions.
Speaker 5: Okay, justin by the way, I just want everyone out there in the Twitter world and in the in the chat that I am not disrespecting Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 4: He's one of my favorite people I've ever talked to.
Speaker 5: So by saying to keep his shirt on, it was more of just like he's you know, he's got the dad bought and most people expect professional athletes when they take their shirt off to look more like, you know, shredded guy than the average guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Like that's the beauty of our game. That's the big game. That's the beauty of our game.
Speaker 3: You can, you know, you can be jacked and be way worse than a guy that's not jacked. It's the greatest part. That's why it's, you know, the best game. It's there's so many guys and can get it done so many different ways. You can be five, four, you can be thirteen like some of these guys are now coming up, and you can still get it done. So it's it's a it's a great sport and that's definitely part of what makes it awesome.
Speaker 5: Agreed one hundred percent. Now to my next question, which was going to be your free agents. Are you tired that your team is ruining baseball because they keep signing good players and you keep collecting rings?
Speaker 4: Like are you just? Are you so sad and mad?
Speaker 5: And you're like, you know what, I don't want to play for the Dodgers anymore because we keep signing really good players and I've just got a chance to get another ring.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 3: That's the worst, right, It's the worst to go want to win, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Isn't that awful?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: I know, I know, No, it's it's you know, it's crazy. You know, I'm sure a lot of people are upset with it. But it's like we're making a lot of money too as a team, So maybe it's a maybe it's a good formula. I don't know, but yeah, it's it's great to get all these good players. And I'm so blessed and fortunate to be a part of this organization who continues to show, you know, the fans and of the organization and everybody that.
Speaker 6: They want to win and they want to keep winning.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it's it's again another beautiful thing.
Speaker 6: About this sport is you can spend a bunch of money.
Speaker 3: And not win games, and it's you know, it's crazy. It's unpredictable, and I think that's why people love it, and I think that's why, you know, in my opinion, we have one of the best leagues and best sports in the world. And but yeah, it's it's great. I hate that we want to win so bad. It does suck.
Speaker 2: You kind of mentioned it glazed over a little bit. But have they told you what your role is going to be this year? Have they said, hey, you know what, in April May it's this and then we'll see where we go from there, and how do you work your way up to that if it's uncertain?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know, they've They've been transparent with me about kind of what they want to build me up to in spring training and all this, all this and that. But I think for me, it's just like be ready as a starter. Be ready is you know, someone who's gonna eat a bunch of innings and you can always taper down from there. So that's kind of where I'm at with it, is just stay ready for whatever opportunity you know comes my way. And as we know there's there's always stuff that happens throughout the season, and you know, eventually you got to step up and be the guy. And I think that's kind of what my thought process has been, is just like, you know, keep grinding and keep getting better, be ready as a starter, and you know, if they use me out of the bullpen and a length capacity, I'm ready. If they use me in leverage, I'm ready if they use me. And whenever I need to take the ball, take the ball. So I think that's kind of been my thought process.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we showed all your World Series highlights, and you showed all these pictures of you with the trophy and you're hanging out with all your teammates, But you know who is missing from those photos?
Speaker 2: Show Hey?
Speaker 5: All right, do you have a picture with show Hey? Because I was fortunate enough to get my picture with show Hey about a month ago. So do you actually have a picture of show Hey?
Speaker 4: Andrew?
Speaker 3: I don't, I don't, I I don't. I uh, I'm too nervous.
Speaker 6: To ask him.
Speaker 3: It's kinda tough to just be like, yo, Show you want to take a picture right now? Like I'm sure you know, being the guy he is, he should say yes right away.
Speaker 6: But like that guy's got a lot of things to do.
Speaker 3: You know, he's he's got to go eat six innings and punch out thirteen people and then he's got to hit three.
Speaker 6: Home runs, and so he's got a lot to do.
Speaker 3: He's got media to worry about, he's got you know, he's got a family.
Speaker 6: So like he's got a lot on his plate.
Speaker 3: So I don't want to, you know, bother him with a picture, you know when he's got he's got so much going on. But uh no, I'm sure. I'm sure show would be just fine if I walked up and said, hey, let's take a picture. But at the same time, I know there.
Speaker 4: Even on shirtless Sundays, would he be okay with that?
Speaker 3: It just depends on you know, that depends on a lot of things. It depends on a lot of things. But you never know, you never know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you don't do you feel like you don't do enough when you watch all the stuff that he does.
Speaker 3: I feel like that with So there's certain guys and I think, you know, if you've been in baseball long enough, you know, like there's certain guys that are in the weight room for four hours doing all this crazy stuff, and then there's certain guys that don't need as much time, and so it's like you just have to figure out what you need to do to get ready.
Speaker 6: It's funny.
Speaker 3: I've been talking about this the past couple of days, to like keep your body where you need to be. But yeah, and watching show, you feel like, all right, well, like my job's not that hard. You know, he's doing all this and he's the best of both of them. So but I also think about how much fun that would be to like just know that you're the best player on earth.
Speaker 6: So it's pretty cool he does.
Speaker 3: He works so hard at what he does, and that's obviously part of why he's so good is he has the the god given talent and then on top of that, he's you know, he works really hard at his craft. And yeah, it's it's impressive to watch. It's impressive to to see how he like fits everything in and weaves it and you know, while playing a game where you play play so many games in a season, and it's impressive. It's you know, special, it's you know, everything you'd think of him.
Speaker 6: He's he's better.
Speaker 2: It's it's crazy, justin last one, Evan Phillips just resigned with the team. What does he bring to not only the roster, but just that like bullpen life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Heep's a really really good dude. Man.
Speaker 3: He's you know, one of the guys that he's been really really good to me since I came up. He's a good friend, he's a good teammate. He's kinda kind of all that. You know, obviously suck to see him have TJ, but I've kind of been able to you know, even I've talked to him a little bit about that kind of stuff because I have TJ as well, and so he's he's working back from that.
Speaker 6: He's the man.
Speaker 3: He's really really good player, really good you know, got to talk to about you know, big situations and even last year, you know, during the postseason round just talking to him about stuff, and just during the year in general, just kind of talking to him about, you know, how to navigate you know, certain innings and how to navigate lineup and you know, because it's a little different as a reliever than it is as a starter, and just you know, there was there was a time where he was rehabbing last year when I had a tough one against Washington and got sent down and kind of talked to him for you know, thirty minutes, just like about this and that. So great teammate, great guy to have in the clubhouse, a great person.
Speaker 6: So really happy to have him back.
Speaker 3: And he's really really good too, So on top of on top of being a great dude, he's he's a really really good pitcher.
Speaker 6: So I'm we're pumped to have him back.
Speaker 1: Justin thanks for the extended time and this was great. Hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: Racial hair. Are we going facial hair this year?
Speaker 6: I don't think so. I think I'm going to keep it off.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna keep it off for now, be a different guy for a little bit. It's kind of fun to see his reaction when they see me for the first time. But like, you're a different dude. My hair is a little shorter, no facial hair. Kind of fun to change it up and keep people on their toes a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, where's the golf game today? Or jerdy, you didn't a ready finished, did you?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, I just got down on the field. We're about to go play here. Here at Wigwam. If you know what that is out here.
Speaker 4: You forgot. I was at the ranch for a long time.
Speaker 5: I was at the but I was on the side without thee in the pools and the girls and the people that feed your grapes with fans. I was on the white sox side, where it's like desert with.
Speaker 6: No Yeah, the depressing side. I've been over there a few times.
Speaker 3: I played a for for a long while, as like a month and a half, so we know about.
Speaker 5: That grinder's side. Yeah, there's a there's a difference, trust me. When you cross the cross the line in between.
Speaker 6: It's different air.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like it's like everything just changed.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: One side on the other side water and.
Speaker 1: There's a deeper story to all that, and maybe we can get into it when will Edible joins us.
Speaker 2: And like, no, so let's get justin.
Speaker 1: Let's let justin go justin, enjoy have a nice round out there.
Speaker 6: Thanks again, this was awesome.
Speaker 1: Really appreciate you. Great to getting to know you a little bit more on here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course, of course, thank you guys.