Speaker 1: Well, I invited you here, thought I made myself perfectly clear.
Speaker 2: But you're a guess to my home.
Speaker 1: You gotta come to me empty, And I said, no guests. Your own presences presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So.
Speaker 2: How do you dare to surbey me?
Speaker 3: Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm pretter Winegarl. We're in the backyard. What's happening. It's Saturday morning. I've been to target the big target. The upper level of the big target is probably I would say it's fifty degrees hotter than the lower level. So if you're going to target, just keep that in mind. That's the big target. What else is? Oh? Actually there's there is an announcement I need to make. I got a text this morning. It says, hello, Lucy, please cancel my yoga class next week. I'm Eileen. Thank you. So, if you're Lucy or II Leen, work that out between yourselves. If that's a spam, it's an incredible attempt. I mean it's actually probably the most likely to get me of any type of spam. Lucy and I Leen all my love to you and your yoga. Oh, let's get into the podcast. I love today's guest. It's Maria Thayer. Maria, Yes, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 2: To I said, no, Gi, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Oh really, of course, very happy to be here. How could I not have you?
Speaker 2: Good point?
Speaker 3: You just told me as we were walking in. Yes, I mean you were devastatingly late. Let's just get that out of the way.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't make the pot yet. I did say I was going to be ten minutes late, and then I was even later than that.
Speaker 3: You show up on a Lisa and I are in a fight over how late you are. It was a big, big problem for us. I'm sweating on a Lisa's sweating or ready to cancel the recording. And then you tell me you're coming from Montana.
Speaker 4: I am coming from Montana. I meant to come here. It's a long story. And as I also said, I'm a boring guest.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna circle back to you being boring. Let me know, we'll keep touching in with how boring you are throughout the show. Okay, I'll give you a rating every ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Who could say boring? I could say boring, You could say boring. At least you could also.
Speaker 3: Say a Lisa's a nice new troll on Alas has no steaks here.
Speaker 4: I my family's in Montana and I tried to get back to Los Angeles yesterday. Oh huh, And I fly on passes. My mom was a flight attendant for many years. Oh incredible, So I always can fly.
Speaker 2: It cost me.
Speaker 4: It's very cheap to fly, but I'm always the last person on the flight, right right, you know how stand by works.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I got my mother up.
Speaker 4: All the flights were booked yesterday, but the one that's left at five thirty am was not.
Speaker 2: So I put.
Speaker 4: Myself on that flight and I overslept, and my ninety ninety eighty four year old mother got me up all and drove me to the airport. And when I got to I have a feeling. I have a when I go to the airport, I want to be as late as possible.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like I don't want.
Speaker 4: I know the different airports like JFK you have to be forty five minutes early. Billings, Montana, you have to be a half an hour early unless you want to check bags, and then it's forty five minutes early.
Speaker 2: Right, So I try to get there at forty six minutes early thirty one minutes early.
Speaker 3: You know, right, you don't want to spend in any extra time now.
Speaker 4: So I got to the airport in Billings, Montana thirty three minutes early.
Speaker 5: Oh so I was on time, sure, sure, but but I found it.
Speaker 2: Very difficult to check in on the machine. I usually run in the machines like a maniac.
Speaker 4: And so by the time I got to an agent I was it was maybe twenty eight minutes early. Oh no, not even early, twenty eight minutes before the.
Speaker 3: Flight, right right, that's cutting it close.
Speaker 4: I thought, well, they told me it was late, and I said, well, I don't have any bags, and I could.
Speaker 2: The Billing's airport is just a little.
Speaker 4: Tiny slip of an airport, right, it's got it's to get from the airport to the outside of the airport.
Speaker 2: To your gate maybe takes five minutes.
Speaker 3: This is very Burbank.
Speaker 2: Oh Burbank, Oh Burbank. I mean, what a dream Burbank is?
Speaker 3: Oh, Earth, heaven on Earth it is.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that Burbank exists.
Speaker 3: I know, it's bizarre. It feels like some glitch in reality. It really still an airport.
Speaker 2: That's that's there's some pitch in there somewhere. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: It's a time.
Speaker 2: It's InCred of all Burbank, Burbank. Yeah, it's incredible.
Speaker 4: And I was flying into Burbank actually, so I was going from magical airport to magical airport. But the people at Billings Airport, they are extremely serious people, Like they have the most intense security I've ever seen on any interesting, anywhere airplane. I used to fly around with a little pocket knife in my bag, and nobody would ever say anything to me about it. Like go through JFK, you know, go to like, you know, fly to a different country, No one whatever, say what is this pocket knife? Billy's Montana, Billy. No one would ever do anything there.
Speaker 2: It is, It's nothing.
Speaker 4: They always they took my pocket knife twice, and so finally I just said, I'm not going to have a pocket knife anymore. How is it girls supposed to defend herself without her pocket knife?
Speaker 3: Wittle down on a piece of wood, all of these sort of things.
Speaker 2: Yes, why this, this lady's this. This lady said.
Speaker 4: You're too late, And I said, well, I said, I said, oh come on, I could just be there right now. I'm uh And I said please radio and then ask them, and she did that thing where you do when I have done, when I have worked at a job, They're like, it's too late to have another person on the front.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes she.
Speaker 2: Did that, and they were like, yeah, it's too late. Was like, it can't be. And I stood there because I just I was incredulous.
Speaker 3: I just stood there.
Speaker 4: But I knew that I had no power and like I couldn't. I was flying on a non red pass.
Speaker 2: Didn't I couldn't make a.
Speaker 3: Fuss, right, technically A customer a customer.
Speaker 4: So I just stood there for like what felt like thirty seconds but probably was ten seconds, and then I just said, okay.
Speaker 2: All that, and then I went Oh, I went home.
Speaker 4: I went home, and then the next morning I came this morning, Yeah, I came, same lady.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, same lady. Has you changed her attitude?
Speaker 2: No, she did it.
Speaker 4: I smiled at her, but I made sure that I checked it before so we didn't have to have we didn't have to speak to each other.
Speaker 2: But I did smile at her, and she did not smile it. She looked scared of me.
Speaker 3: I will tell you the truth. Well, she knew that you had something on her. At this point that you could and may have a pocket knife to take your revenge. So the initial one was your mom just idling outside the airport.
Speaker 2: Yes, she knew.
Speaker 4: God, I had a feeling that this was going to be a bad situation, so I said, just wait for my mom. And we live right by the airport and Billings, so it's very short. So the flight left at six forty and we were both back in bed by six twenty two.
Speaker 3: Oh so you were able to get some more sleep. Yes, that's all that I care about.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, me too. That's really How much sleep do you get a night?
Speaker 3: I get roughly eight to nine hours?
Speaker 2: Yes, meat, do you two? I mean, how lazy and lucky are we?
Speaker 3: Very fortunate?
Speaker 2: But we live so close to Burbank. We get eight to nine hours of sleep every day.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what more could we ask?
Speaker 2: Truly?
Speaker 3: True? Truly, that's true. I have to I need to start my gratitude chart or whatever they have. Those will be the first two things. But I'll tell you what if it's If it's less than eight hours, I am hell on earth. I am a nightmare, horrible person. I can't my body cannot handle less than eight hours of sleep.
Speaker 2: So what do you do when you have like a five hour a die?
Speaker 3: I'm nauseous, I'm mad, Oh so nauseous.
Speaker 2: Does coffee help?
Speaker 3: I mean, of course it helps a little Yeah, it helps a little bit, but like only for a minute, and then I'm back into a bad mood and I'm of course like making drama out of it and blaming everybody. Everyone's my enemy. So what about you? Are you okay?
Speaker 4: No, I'm lovely, of course you No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think I am lovely because I just have to be. I'm just like, I'm having enough guts to be a jerk, like.
Speaker 3: Either do I. But that's that's how bad it is for me. I mean just chemically, I'm an absolute mess without eight hours of sleep.
Speaker 4: Do you when you have to get up at like five in the morning, I don't know, like like I did this morning?
Speaker 2: Did do you? Can you go to sleep at a normal time? I mean, so you can get.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, it's like I'm still going to bed at midnight, you know, yes.
Speaker 4: And knowing that you have to get up makes me not have to want to go to sleep because I'm just like I just have.
Speaker 3: To get up anyway of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as well stay up the rest of my life getting.
Speaker 3: Up, I'll be you awake for two straight weeks and die and that'll be the end of it for me. Wow. So you were but you were on a flight this morning and you were at the Billings airport at what five am?
Speaker 2: No, that would have been too late.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, said I said six to forty, but I meant five thirty. Yeah, okay, right, sorry, Yeah, I guess I'm not quite there. And so that I had to come back and I had to walk my dog, my dog that the person takes care of my dog loves my dog too much and just lets her do whatever she wants.
Speaker 2: So then she's always just like a.
Speaker 3: Oh a menace.
Speaker 2: She's a menace.
Speaker 3: She's like stopped obeying the rules from exactly.
Speaker 2: It's what they dog traders call it, titled.
Speaker 3: Oh it's very entitled. Yes, a temporary entitle. Yes, you'll have to wean her off. Yeah. Basically what kind of dog is she?
Speaker 2: She's a dog.
Speaker 4: Small, large, she's too large for me, but I love her. She's not the dog I would have picked out, but I that's the dog I got. I love her so much.
Speaker 2: The case fifty pounds.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that.
Speaker 2: Let's have my size.
Speaker 3: That's I'm trying to compete here, that's my same weight. I'm trying to lose a few get down to forty. Everyone pray for my weight loss journey. I mean, I still have time to get into a swimsuit by the end of the summer at forty pounds.
Speaker 2: I laugh a lot. I love to laugh. You have to know that.
Speaker 3: Please apologize for laughing.
Speaker 2: I really love to laugh.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you about this pocket knife. I wanted to circle back. Sure, what were you doing with the pocket knife? What do you mean, like, what situations where you're finding yourself in where you're like ook time to pull out the pocket knife and use it.
Speaker 2: You'd be surprised, of course. Uh, I don't remember.
Speaker 4: But it's just nice to have one because like you can use the tip of it to like, you know, like right now, I could carve my name into.
Speaker 2: This the table.
Speaker 3: You were using it for vandalism. Your life is a vandal.
Speaker 2: They took it away from.
Speaker 3: You were carving your name into an airport seat. No, that's that's an actually extremely valid reason to have a pocket knife.
Speaker 2: Works you find once you have one You're like, how did I ever live without this?
Speaker 3: Was it like a Swiss army knife did have a bunch of it was just.
Speaker 4: Like it was a little I mean truly, if I had gone crazy on a plane and tried to hurt people, I don't know where gonna hurt it was it never could.
Speaker 2: Like even if they just laid there let me stab.
Speaker 4: Them, it would could never have killed anybody.
Speaker 2: It was very small. It was like, you know, an inch and a half blade?
Speaker 3: Which blade?
Speaker 4: But I'm like someone that like my dad is a big is a big you know, he's a Montana guy, and like he and so a lot of for a lot of my major birthdays or not even major birthdays, he would give me a gun.
Speaker 3: Wow, what sort of guns? Well?
Speaker 4: I had a twenty two and then I had a thirty eight special wow for when I got a car.
Speaker 2: And then so to keep myself to keep carjackers away.
Speaker 3: How many carjackers did you keep away? Never?
Speaker 2: Never, not a single one?
Speaker 3: Killed fifty carjackers.
Speaker 4: And then when I when I when I got into college in New York City, he gave me a derringer pistol to keep it my purse.
Speaker 2: What a little one shot Darringer.
Speaker 3: That is incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, none of these guns made it anywhere. Like they didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 3: You didn't. It didn't get to New York. No.
Speaker 4: I mean I think that the I think I'm not sure about this, but I think that one of the reasons, besides it'd been crazy that I would definitely like shoot myself in the foot.
Speaker 3: We're on the same page here, is.
Speaker 4: That I think if you don't have a registered your gun is a registered York which is hard to get.
Speaker 2: It's like a year in prison minimum. Like, I would just end up in prison.
Speaker 3: There's nothing in the world I want more than for you to end up in prison because someone found you with a gun in New York.
Speaker 2: Don't put that out there.
Speaker 3: Incredible thing for you.
Speaker 2: What a career movie.
Speaker 3: A one shot so it just has one bullet in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to be like, somebody's got to be very close. It's for rape. Oh, I mean, not to rape.
Speaker 4: Someone to if someone's got to be close enough that I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that I brought up rapes And that's such a beautiful morning. I won't I do that again. Guns, guns, knives, This is incredible.
Speaker 3: It's called the darringer, darringer.
Speaker 4: You never heard that daringer like the like you know, Ma Moyle?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm talking about? Do you know what I'm saying right now?
Speaker 3: I actually am not the way I'm tracking. This is not a.
Speaker 4: Gun related because it's like a A is a foreskin? Yes, no, that's not that's not Oh and I brought up foreskin?
Speaker 3: What keep going re association a mole a spy? Is that what we're getting?
Speaker 2: Gangsters? Oil?
Speaker 3: Oh? A gangster's foreskin. Every gangster's foreskin carries a denger. I'm so sorry. Okay, is showing us a Derringer, which is an incredible gun? Is that this isn't? No?
Speaker 2: I just meant like, no, that's that's mine.
Speaker 4: Was pink.
Speaker 2: This is incredible.
Speaker 3: You have to carry it. Just don't have a bullet in it. Please, it got still, it got stock car. Oh No, so that has been used for murder. Someone's been killed with your pink derringer. How do you feel?
Speaker 2: I don't know. People's people mostly stabbed. I don't know. I don't know. Uh, you know, that's their business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how you want to murder someone as your business? I'm not going to be nosey and poke around. How you're killing people, I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's the down from my dad's house. There used to be a meth like a few houses down used to be a meth lab.
Speaker 3: I guess, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: And we once left the door unlocked, and I guess some people came in, but they didn't steal very much.
Speaker 2: They just stole. They everyone at that point.
Speaker 4: A lot of there was my we I had some uncles and aunts staying there too, so there was a lot of people that were in the that had their stuff in the house.
Speaker 2: And this story is crazy.
Speaker 4: But anyway, when we came back, people had like someone had like lost their curling iron lost there. So these people just came in and just like just a few things that they needed, like you would go to a target or something. They didn't but they didn't steal like the things that.
Speaker 3: Like the weapons and the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the money. The weapons of the money, we have a lot of those.
Speaker 3: They got into the vault. Where are you from, Utah? Tracking I mean, I've been to Montana, I've been to Wyoming, all of these states, Idaho, so I'm familiar with this sort of culture on some level.
Speaker 4: I was in Utah this morning. You had to stop their sal Salt Lake City is Salt Lake City. The airport is is besides Burbank. That's a really wonderful airport, don't you think the new one? Yeah, the new one?
Speaker 3: What because this airport actually has gone a lot of mixed reviews.
Speaker 2: Oh really interesting.
Speaker 4: Well the food is fantastic, a lot of food and it's very reasonably priced.
Speaker 3: What what did you eat? Well?
Speaker 2: Nothing today?
Speaker 4: But uh, usually they have some place that they just it's one of those you know that sore lemonade that restaurant lead It used to be at Lax.
Speaker 2: It's like lemonade, but it's in Utah.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: But they you know, they have uh I don't know.
Speaker 4: They had a BF Chang's.
Speaker 3: Is that a BF Changs?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, they had a BF Chang.
Speaker 3: That's the knockoff. I believe that would be in the solid airport BF check mister Cheng's son Brandon. But they do have they've like I mean, it is compared to the old solid airport such a it feels so metropolitan and I mean.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't it doesn't have those smoking vegetable bules.
Speaker 2: It does remember those.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course those were those little like terrariums that you got to smoke in.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 3: It's such a bizarre We're putting.
Speaker 2: Our foot down and you can smoke. You have to go outside.
Speaker 3: The weirdest possible. What airline are you flying into Salt Lake?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: This is, I think is what Delta? Okay, see that makes sense people if you fly Delta, because I was flying southwest into salt Lake, southwest into salt Lake for a period and there you had to essentially walk four miles to get to the parking after that, and I think people are freaking out about that.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't, I don't. I never leave the airport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're just popping in, popping out. So I think the walking is what was really getting out people.
Speaker 2: It is just it is just a straight line.
Speaker 3: Yeah right.
Speaker 4: It doesn't seem like it used to be like terminal like a line within terminals out.
Speaker 3: I don't know, no, this now it just feels like it's almost just like extremely long.
Speaker 2: It's probably good.
Speaker 4: For people that have shops there because they're like, everyone who goes to the airport goes past my.
Speaker 3: Shop A lot of yeah, a lot. When you're working retail, you've got to have those eyes. You've got to have people looking in. There are a lot of retail stores there that are like no one absolutely known as buying a bag. This is salt Lake City on it, you know, like a beautiful person. It's just that sort of thing. It just feels like it's an illusion at a hologram. No one's going in those stores. Yes, yeah, but salt Lake you flew in for just a moment, a moment.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I Yes.
Speaker 4: Salt Lake City is also my like nightmare airport in some ways because I always get stuck there. Oh like during the pandemic, I got stuck there.
Speaker 3: For how long?
Speaker 2: For like five days? Ah, and I it was it was I.
Speaker 4: Was going to Montana and this is I was going back home to Montana. But I was working during the day on Zoom, so I couldn't fly during the day.
Speaker 2: I only cold flight night.
Speaker 4: So I flew into cet Lake City, got stuck there. They canceled the flight and so I got stuck there. Would never have flown if I didn't know that there was seats on this light. Stuck there, and then I had to get a hotel room and I did have a car. Salt Lake City did not have it together at that point, and they probably do now, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: But called postmates and it would take like an hour and a half. Oh, truly, it was crazy. And I was in one of those airport. It was it was a very it was dark time.
Speaker 3: Oh. I mean for the world, what hotel you're staying at? Just some airport?
Speaker 2: Hotel port hotel?
Speaker 3: Oh? Five days of that is prison.
Speaker 2: It was prison.
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: But whatever, you know, I got eight hours of sleep, So what could you know? And Burbank still existed, so you.
Speaker 3: Knew everything continued to exist, you know. Yeah, and you've got a story out of it for a podcast? What more could you ask for?
Speaker 2: Story? But sure I could. I should these a little work, but workshop. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you think that the Billings Airport security is so strong because of the unibomber? Do you think that because isn't that where he was living?
Speaker 4: Yes, he was living. He uh, he's from Montana. Ted Kazinski should say his name, he doesn't, but he uh.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe they're like, we don't want another ten.
Speaker 2: People are probably mixed on if they like him or not.
Speaker 3: There Oh, that's true, because he did have there was some of that manifesto was kind of like, if you lean far right enough or whatever into enough conspiracies, you can get on board with Ted.
Speaker 4: It's crazy that the New York isn't in the New York Times published manifesto.
Speaker 5: That's insane, But we're all better for it.
Speaker 3: We all learned some importance.
Speaker 2: It's really screwed up.
Speaker 3: He got published.
Speaker 2: He got published on the front page of the Time.
Speaker 3: I don't I can't speak to you, but I have never been published in the Times either. Maybe we need to move to Montana getting some more interesting ideas. He died. I think he died recently, all.
Speaker 2: Right, But but in prison, Yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Caught him, They trapped him.
Speaker 4: Yes, his brother I think turned him and noticed that his language sounded like, oh, that sounds like my my brother.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine reading that and being like, hmm, this guy. I've gotten letters like this before. Wow, what a betrayal it is?
Speaker 4: It is there There are also you. You run into a lot of Ted Kazinski's in Montana. You know, they're they're rapid, there's isolation. They're not like probably Harvard I think he was like Harvard educated, am I education or something?
Speaker 3: Right? He was like highly intelligent, right, but just yeah, an we.
Speaker 2: Say that though they always say like like that.
Speaker 4: Guy from Ida home a Moscow, Idaho.
Speaker 2: You know, the guy who killed the ladies and the man in the in the college.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's pretty recent. Yeah, he was supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Like he's so smart. Fun seem that smart.
Speaker 3: I mean he's like he was like, what was his plan?
Speaker 2: Yeah he didn't not that.
Speaker 3: It's just a smart nerd. That was mad.
Speaker 2: I don't who know, who knows.
Speaker 3: And then he got caught. He drove to Pennsylvania or something, right, he got.
Speaker 2: Caught for doing like everything. I mean, it's hard to murder people nowadays.
Speaker 3: You can't murder anyone anymore.
Speaker 2: No, you can't.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think we do need to talk about something else. Okay, there's something I do need to speak to you about. Unfortunately, I was looking forward to having you here on the podcast today, despite you telling me over and over I'm boring, I'm boring, I'm boring. So far I'm giving you like a fifty out of ten. I mean all sorts of you.
Speaker 2: We see, that's no past.
Speaker 3: No, that's a D fifty out of ten. Now you get an f. No, you were five hundred percent. You're you're killing it. I mean, we're finding out about the pocket knife, trying to sneaking pocket knives onto planes, guns, I mean, life of crime, methadics, stealing, curling irons. All of our other guests are failures at this point. But you know, I was looking forward to having your here today. I was really excited to talk to you.
Speaker 2: I was excited to talk to you too.
Speaker 3: So I was a little surprised, because, of course the podcast is called I said no gifts. I was a little thrown when you came kind of skipping into my backyard holding what could not be more clearly a gift, beautifully wrapped.
Speaker 2: Is beautifully wrapped.
Speaker 4: I'm going to need that garbage that garbage bag back. Actually, I don't like wasting a garbage bag.
Speaker 3: I'm giving. I'm making sure you take that home with you. Well, shall I open this gift here on the podcast? You okay? So, as you mentioned, it is just it's gorgeously wrapped in a garbage bag, beautiful, obviously new garbage bag. I'm going to reach it.
Speaker 2: It smell the garbage book bag smells good, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: No, it's lightly scented, lightly scented. It's not like a gross scent where it's not fruit or something. It's just kind of lightly perfumed. Is that on purpose?
Speaker 2: I asked the garbage bag company get in touch.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm pulling this out, pulling Oh now there's another bag. Oh I love this bag too. It's a blue bag that says youth dynamic.
Speaker 2: You can keep that bag.
Speaker 3: I'm through it. Where did this come from?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Incredible youth dynamics.
Speaker 2: This is my new bags, cobwebs on it. Thank you for not mentioning that.
Speaker 3: Okay, whoa, Oh my god? What weight? I mean? I'm beyond baffled at what I'm looking at. Okay, so it's like to describe what I'm looking at. It's a wood. It's a piece of wood with a spider currently crawling on it. Now, let's just take a look at that spider. I'm gonna try to get it.
Speaker 2: Does it does?
Speaker 3: So, there is a spider. I don't even know what to do with it. Should I release it to the garden. I'll blow it away so it doesn't die. It'll find its way somewhere. Welcome to the backyard. Okay. So it's a piece of wood with a piece of styrofoam tape to it, and then it it seems to be some sort of state fair project. Yes, okay, and then okay, this is okay, So this piece has fallen off. This is Maria thay or Billings, Montana, out of state. Oh and there's also a it appears there's this is your boarding past?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is that today's boarding past?
Speaker 2: So that's from another fight, but you can have that.
Speaker 3: Where were you headed this time? I've still saw like the city somewhere. Okay, So we'll keep this. I'll try to kind of farm some information from this and take advantage of your life. Okay. So again it says Maria fay Billings, Montana, out of state, class twenty one, out of state resident. Okay, so you flew in from LA to try to win a prize at the state fair? Is that what I'm seeing?
Speaker 4: So yes, I there, this is the At the Minnesota State Fair. There is something called crop art, and I frequently compete.
Speaker 2: And this is my last year's entry.
Speaker 3: Okay. Now tell me about this piece of art, because there's this another thing.
Speaker 4: Do you think that that this is the this is the art? Do you think this is the art. Yes, No, you have to open this more.
Speaker 5: Oh oh my god, Oh my god, I'm going to take a picture of what I thought was.
Speaker 2: The art than me thinking.
Speaker 3: I assume this is how oh my god, it felt very outsider art. We'll just say that it felt to say there.
Speaker 2: Is this Alma guard.
Speaker 4: I thought, first of all, you're so generous, like this is hideous.
Speaker 2: And if you you.
Speaker 4: That, you were immediately like get out of my backyard.
Speaker 2: Just shows that you are a wonderful person.
Speaker 3: Like really truly, I was trying to make sense of.
Speaker 2: This human being in a wonderful host.
Speaker 5: No, that's not that art folk artist, you know. Okay, So I need to open this, Yes you do? Okay, So I mean right now, it's like a piece of syrophone with a piece of I'm going to tell you.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you this before before?
Speaker 1: Are you o? Bit?
Speaker 4: So I try to do this every year. I don't do it every year because I love the Minnesota State Fair. I used to live in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh okay, And now let me just clarify because I kept thinking you're saying Minnesota. You're from Billings, Montana. Clarify this.
Speaker 2: So it's very hard for me to like, do any you know, finish a project. My best friend.
Speaker 4: Is loves the subject of this, of this thing, and so I was like, I'm going to make you a thing of your of.
Speaker 2: Your fair person.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, sure.
Speaker 2: So I send her.
Speaker 4: Pictures and she was always like, you know, and I could tell you she just wasn't like into it right and it's not really her style.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Her house is like animal print and like and this is like, this is the thing. So when I was thinking about this podcast, I was like, what, what what can I.
Speaker 4: Bring that will be So I was like, maybe i'll you know, she hasn't she has it's but a year and she hasn't mentioned it.
Speaker 2: So I texted her yesterday I said, Hey, I'm gonna can I bring this this podcast? Never heard from her?
Speaker 3: What is that even supposed to me?
Speaker 4: I think it just means that she doesn't want it, and she doesn't want to say I don't want it.
Speaker 3: Well, this person needs to start speaking up for herself anyway.
Speaker 2: Anyway, open it.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna open it up. Okay, and let's say you did win fourth prize.
Speaker 2: I did it in my category.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm peeling the tape off here, and does this other thing taped to it have anything to do or is it just the medium? This was?
Speaker 4: In order to compete, you had to tell what seed you used.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, that's incredible. So you're using all kinds of celery seed, flax seed, something called al car.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a yes.
Speaker 4: I had to go to a seed like emporium Wow in Montana to get that.
Speaker 3: Roughly like nine different things.
Speaker 4: You don't use, you used, you can use illegal seeds, and then you get docked.
Speaker 3: Oh have done interesting? You're allowed to but acknowledge technology.
Speaker 2: Cheatah.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a good idea for any competition. Feel free to cheat, but you will lose. Okay, let's let's see if this is trying to be careful here. Oh my god, it says murder. It's Angela Lansberry made it entirely out of seeds, and it says murder seed rote how your friend has horrible taste.
Speaker 5: Your friend's a loser. Make sure I'm going to fight fight with her. I'm attacking her. She's low character, low taste, and low character.
Speaker 3: This is beautiful. This one fourth prize?
Speaker 2: Yeah, out of five?
Speaker 3: What one? Number one?
Speaker 2: Somewhere some piece of trash. I don't remember. This is not very I don't think that this is very good. Actually, are you talking better than this? This is she looks a little I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that this is gorgeous. She's holding a magnifying glass. She's out to find out who killed, and you've got her hair perfect. It looks I mean, I wouldn't even need the murder Seed wrote to know that that was Angela Lansback.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was hilarious joke.
Speaker 3: It's a great joke.
Speaker 2: I co would think instead of she I turned into seed.
Speaker 3: You know, really, how long did this takes a make.
Speaker 4: I don't know, not too long, maybe ten fifteen hours, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, over the course of several weeks. Yeah, and okay, So, how like, I'm so curious how this sort of thing even comes together? Do you draw her? Do you like print out a picture and just cover it with seeds? How does this hand?
Speaker 4: I think I printed out a picture and then I painted it, and then I covered it with seeds.
Speaker 2: And there's different ways. There's there's a lady what's her name, Lillian Colton. She's the seed Queen of Minnesota. Okay, she's dead.
Speaker 3: Okay, Lillian consider think about it.
Speaker 2: But anyway, she her portraits. She does beautiful portraits with seeds. Okay, so she has a way of doing it where that's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 4: That technique is that you put a bunch of Elmer's glue and you use a toothpick and you just go from Elmer's glue, pick up a seed and then put it on by one.
Speaker 2: One by one. But I don't do that. That's why I only get fourth place. I just dumped the seeds on with some glue. I mean these I did, but like a lot of these. I just like this. Dump dump dump dump.
Speaker 3: You know, there are certain areas where it's just such a giant space that doesn't need a lot of details.
Speaker 2: Lily and probably wouldn't would would not dumb.
Speaker 3: She'd be serious with this, Yes she would be.
Speaker 4: But when you're competing out of state, there's not many weirdos that send in their seed art.
Speaker 3: So you do mail this to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mail it.
Speaker 3: You have to don't go, I go.
Speaker 2: They have to get it before the fair starts. So you mail it to them with also postage to get it back.
Speaker 3: Okay, self address stamped envelope.
Speaker 2: Yes, stam do envelope.
Speaker 4: And then so I went to the fair this time to see it in person, okay, and to like stand next to it and tell people this is mine, right, And then.
Speaker 3: There's your moment. Yes you needed the spotlight at the Minnesota sat.
Speaker 2: It's sad, but it's it's incredible, so true and uh yeah, so that's that's what happened.
Speaker 3: So how did the fair? How did you become aware of the fair? What was the first time you read?
Speaker 4: I was also grew up in Minnesota, Okay, so I would go to the state fair and then I just, I don't know, I just started loving the crop art. I tried to buy one of Lilian's pictures of Tom Selleck one. Oh oh it's so good, but she refused to sell.
Speaker 3: Wow, and she really has some standards, she really does. She's doing it clearly for the seed.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's a book called The Seed Queen about her.
Speaker 3: Oh, you look very confused. You're not sure if it just sounded dirty queen? Sure that it was seeking? Yeah, I mean it's not the perfect title. A Crop Queen could have done just as well, truly, but truly thing.
Speaker 4: Yes, So I didn't do one this year, but I've done one the last couple of years. I did a Colombo one for my brother.
Speaker 3: Oh fantastic. Do you only do murder mystery?
Speaker 2: No, I just recently.
Speaker 4: I'll just do for people I love, even if they don't want it, I will make something for them because then I will finish it.
Speaker 3: What a lovely gift. Did your brother appreciate it? He did? He framed his Okay, So again, when we talk about your friend, I would just think about her where she stands in your life. She's no friend of mine.
Speaker 2: My brother's more aesthetically like me.
Speaker 3: Okay, and your friend, I.
Speaker 2: Don't even know what you're asthetic is?
Speaker 3: This might this is perfect, this is my this is going in the I said no gifts gallery. What was the first one you ever did?
Speaker 2: What did I do? I did Eisenhower? Wow? No, I did a walter Mondale. I think I did a walter Mondale because Minnesota. I want to win right now. Yeah, you're only wait per place in my life that I'm competitive.
Speaker 3: Actually, tell you the truth, it's a healthy place to be competitive. I think I've.
Speaker 2: Never gotten the blue. But I often they want you to do something.
Speaker 4: It's like a kitchy, very liberal section of the popcast.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay, so if you.
Speaker 4: Want to do if like you know a Minnesota politician, I did, Al Franken, Okay, sure, that was my best one.
Speaker 2: That was This is pre right.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask what point in history was al?
Speaker 2: You know, Al didn't want his either.
Speaker 3: Oh. Interesting, Well, I mean that was an early red flag. I'm just gonna say, you know whatever, Al, But.
Speaker 2: But that album was the best one I did.
Speaker 3: It was the best one. Yeah. What prize did you win?
Speaker 2: Third? Third?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That one? I had illegal seeds?
Speaker 3: Oh what was the illegal seed rice? What other illegal seeds are they?
Speaker 2: I guess any seed that doesn't grow in Minnesota is illegal.
Speaker 3: Okay, and but this one that we're currently looking looking at is all legal, I think.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I did not use any poppy seeds. That's also a minus.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What have been some of the big winners of the past years. Do you can you remember any.
Speaker 2: There was a beautiful Lincoln Boring, very boring. They have prizes for everything.
Speaker 4: It's it's there's like you can cover a shoe and that's like with seeds, and that's like in a different category.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's best scarecrows.
Speaker 3: Scarecrow is made of seed.
Speaker 2: No, this is, but it's in the same building. It's the cop art building. You really should go.
Speaker 3: All of your listeners incredible, but let's all go. Somebody should be making I mean, pause the podcast and begin making one of me. Right now. We'll hold a bridge fair and we'll judge all of the different seed versions of me.
Speaker 2: You amazing.
Speaker 3: If I don't see one within the next six months, I'm canceling the podcast. I will blame every listener, and then I'll blame you the chain of blame. Well, this is such a beautiful hobby. And do you think you'll do one this coming year?
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 4: I would have to really throw it together because I think they're due in two weeks or something. Oh okay, for this current year, I could, yes, but I don't have an idea.
Speaker 2: No ideas well.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty five, yes, sort thinking now all for sure?
Speaker 2: Do one for twenty twenty five?
Speaker 3: Who were some famous people from Minnesota but fun.
Speaker 2: Who were fine?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: God, I'm only thinking Garrison Keeler Garrison.
Speaker 3: That's been done right.
Speaker 2: Also, I think that he got in trouble.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right. All of these kind of interesting as men over sixty. You know, they've all got something going on.
Speaker 4: You know what I want to do it? Also as a friend of as a friend of mine is Anne Kim. She's a chef from Minnesota. She was on I don't know if you ever go look at chef's table or watch it.
Speaker 3: I've been looking at TV so in the night, looking at television. Oh so does she have a restaurant in Minnesota?
Speaker 4: Yeah, she has a few, and she she's a pizza one but she's a James Beard Award where Anyway, I thought, oh, I'll just make one for Anne, But I don't know if Anne would like one.
Speaker 3: Either, I know. And then you start getting into some territory where like is it going to affect the relationship?
Speaker 4: Yes, like maybe my friend they start to feel weird about each other. Y.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't feel weird, but I hope.
Speaker 3: That you you feel weird. You definitely feel weird. Your friend has crossed a boundary in a way that's going to ruin this friendship. I guarantee it. And Kim okay, but yeah, Jessicat when you get into personal it gets a little tricky, Yes, And I can't think of a single person from Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Oh, Coen Brothers, Judy Garland, Garland, Paul Westerberg, all of who's whoskerd.
Speaker 3: That's a great one'd be thrilled.
Speaker 2: Frank Sinatra, No.
Speaker 3: Frank Sat from Minnesota's gonna say, what what a fraud? That would be thinking? What how did I fall for that?
Speaker 2: Joe Phi, Robert DeNiro mean.
Speaker 3: The Queen of England. Well, I'm going to start brainstorming people for you to make out of seed. I'll send you a list of people.
Speaker 2: Love that, because love that I need ideas.
Speaker 3: We've got to get somebody to get you. Is this the like the typical size? It's like basically.
Speaker 2: No, you could. You can as big as as small as you.
Speaker 3: But as far as you as like, have you made a bigger one.
Speaker 2: Than bigger than that? I think that's a smlest one I've made. Oh interesting, Yeah, that's the most petite.
Speaker 3: What's the largest?
Speaker 2: I don't know what our size is?
Speaker 3: I guess agree that's I ask myself that all the time. No spatial reasoning skills whatsoever.
Speaker 2: No, So somewhere between three feet and ten feet.
Speaker 3: High, fifty miles okay, so but you've made like a large.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, the Al Franklin was pretty large.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, what a shame?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a shame.
Speaker 3: Where do we stand with Al Frankin at this point?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, people love him again.
Speaker 4: And I I but he but people are like, oh, he just made a joke about somebody's you know he did that that picture right. It wasn't just that I tried to kiss someone in a podcast. Like if I had, like tried to kiss you, can you imagine how much.
Speaker 3: How much anything goes? And I said, no, guess Maria's coming towards me, like I'm backing away.
Speaker 2: It was it was a radio show, but somebody was interviewing you my face? What and he tried to kiss her?
Speaker 3: What? What is going on in a brain about it? Like?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: God? Like I get what sort of brain is that that thinks this is okay, this is the time I do this.
Speaker 2: I actually also now I remember it.
Speaker 4: I had a I have a friend that used to work in the Senate and I was visiting my friend Jeremiah in DC and all these all these senators were coming out and it was sort of exciting, and they were all getting into their fancy black cars, and I was like, wow, this is fucked up, like.
Speaker 2: Our country is backed up. All these guys are.
Speaker 4: Millionaires, but I appreciated. He came out and his wife picked him up. Okay, but he was waiting there.
Speaker 2: And at that time I was waiting for my friend and I saw him. I was very excited. There was also a gentleman there screaming about abortion.
Speaker 5: Oh interest and like a crazy person, I'm sure as.
Speaker 2: El Franken sort of toddled over to me and I was like, oh my god, I'm and I he said hello.
Speaker 4: I was just a little weird in itself, but maybe you know, and I said I'm sorry. He was like he pointed to the guy and I was like, I'm sorry about my dad.
Speaker 2: Oh, and he did it.
Speaker 4: Well, see you don't think it's funny either. He didn't think it's funny either, and he was like ah, and then he wandered away from me again.
Speaker 3: Al did al did y? What a bizarre interaction. What.
Speaker 2: I tried to make a joke and Al was freaked out.
Speaker 3: Oh you said sorry about my dad? Ye oh, okay, now see now this is funny. I was like, what is Al Franklin talking? Saying that to you. It was like, this makes zero sense.
Speaker 4: So it's obviously not a good jokes, and you broke it to me and Al agreed with you.
Speaker 3: No, no, no no. I was thinking, why was like, I got get.
Speaker 2: Away from this crazy late.
Speaker 4: There's two great there's someone yelling at about abortion and then a lady.
Speaker 3: Tried a perfect joke.
Speaker 2: A perfect joke anyway.
Speaker 3: That makes sense. But for Al Franken to be saying that to you is like the hoops. I was jumping through my brain to make that.
Speaker 2: I didn't tell that story very well, but I will say something. I do like that he got into like uh you know CRV right. I mean, he truly was the only person.
Speaker 3: His wife is like not aware that he's trying to kiss people on podcasts. She's like, here, honey, I'm here to pick you up to take you to a podcast appearance where you're going to kiss somebody. I don't like it. I don't like it, and he doesn't laugh at your Actually.
Speaker 2: I'll ask, I'll ask permission, and then I will do it.
Speaker 3: I need every guest on this podcast from now on. This is what happens.
Speaker 2: Please still gives and kissing gives our tongue.
Speaker 3: I said, no gifts and please ask before you kiss me. That's a nice title for a podcast, Yes, it is, and then we hear people kissing me all the time. It's very erotic podcast. Wow, what an interaction you had with him? And what does he do for a living now? Is he's still writing books? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Actually he's you know, retire, Yeah, he's probably go just he probably gives speeches.
Speaker 2: Oh right, right, I mean I don't know. That's a cool gas.
Speaker 3: Right, And it doesn't seem like he's one of these people who like got canceled and then became a far right person just because right. So oh, I can't really speak to him at this point other than what we know and the fact that he's had a seed portrait. Yes, probably not the first and but probably the last.
Speaker 2: Of seed portraits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's probably gonna get Well, it's.
Speaker 4: So available to my mom's garage. I think rats have eaten most of it, but.
Speaker 3: It is perfect arn't for rats. Now, I'm afraid to have this.
Speaker 2: In my home. That's why that spider was enjoying it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna spray it with rat poison. I'm terrified. I'm absolutely mortified that this is going to be attracting rodents any day.
Speaker 2: It's just a a buffet.
Speaker 3: Rat's probably find the sort of eating tacky, you know. It's like the sort of thing where you like, go to a restaurant it's a cake that looks like a shape and you're like, well that's a bad cake. That's just like a pile of seeds.
Speaker 2: Fond fond.
Speaker 3: I feel like as a society we're kind of moving beyond that, right, I think fondant.
Speaker 2: Fond whatever it is, Yeah, it's not. It doesn't look appetizing.
Speaker 3: We're all on to it where it's just like that's sweet plastic. Yes, great job that you made the like a thing that looks like a Ferrari cake or whatever. But I don't want anything to do with it. Just make a nice round cake, yes, or a sheet cake cakes.
Speaker 2: Don't get me started on shee cakes. I mean don't because it's boring.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I'm going to try to get into seed art. Is it difficult?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: This one?
Speaker 2: Fourth place?
Speaker 3: Are you an artist outside of this?
Speaker 4: I sometimes paint sometimes, Oh that's lovely, but you know I am an actor.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've heard, but did.
Speaker 3: You go to art school?
Speaker 4: No, no, I went to I actually don't think that acting is an art.
Speaker 3: It's like a it's absolutely an art. When everyone else does, it's pornography trash. I went.
Speaker 4: I went to acting school, which is like which is like refrigerator repair school.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's just like you don't learn anything, but you do.
Speaker 3: I don't think so you've made a career out of it.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: And people cherish you, do.
Speaker 2: They thank you?
Speaker 3: I mean I cherish you.
Speaker 2: I cherish you too.
Speaker 3: A whole generation of people in comedy cherish you. I think that's true. So acting school, for one, if nothing else, thank god, you want to acting school to.
Speaker 2: Be cherished, to be cherished, I mean I didn't feel that way. You don't feel cherished. Acting school?
Speaker 3: Oh oh, in acting school was a horrible It was just you know, it was.
Speaker 7: It was it was they had cuts, you know, people were it was just I don't know if they do that still, but they're like, let's break you down right to build.
Speaker 3: You up, totally destroy you.
Speaker 2: Acting automatron. I don't know if acting robot.
Speaker 4: I don't know what an automatron is rot, but like yeah, but then you get out.
Speaker 2: And you're like, oh, people, people just want you to be a character ture version of yourself. That's like what you got to get your thing right? I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's mostly what's happening on television. People are just showing up and speaking a little bit louder and faster than they usually dom hm hm. But I feel like you must have what school did you go to?
Speaker 2: Juilliard School?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I know. Okay, well look.
Speaker 2: At that, look at that at me, the Juilliard School.
Speaker 3: That's credible.
Speaker 2: It's incredible.
Speaker 3: That is I mean, you must have been thrown out of your mind when you were accepted.
Speaker 4: I was because they didn't care about grades and I had very bad grades.
Speaker 3: Oh perfect, You had no choice but to.
Speaker 4: Go the way that anyone would be impressed by me. Like if I had gone in and great, like they didn't care.
Speaker 2: You could I think you had to write an essay. But I know someone who got in who their essay was just a drawing.
Speaker 3: So you could have done Sea Dart.
Speaker 2: Oh they would have loved it. No, but it was. It does have like a name for itself. But it's it's not all that. It really isn't.
Speaker 3: They're going to rescind your degree.
Speaker 4: They you know what they I this is nice of them.
Speaker 2: But I I stopped.
Speaker 4: I ran out of money halfway through Juilliard and they still let me continue.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: But they never gave me my diplomas. I owe them money.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, I think they.
Speaker 2: Never they but you know what, they never asked for it either. I can ask for money.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting bargain to strike.
Speaker 2: I know, it's weird. They have a lot of money. I think now you can go for free.
Speaker 3: Oh, everybody, email Juilliard at Juilliard dot com. I'm sure, send them a drawing and you're in free ride. Did you ever act on the stage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I thought I was gonna do, always playing Juliet forever and like I was like, oh, I'm gonna I had I really was not ambitious. I wanted to be like in the course of a Broadway musical. That was my big It was just like, that is the life for me. But I've never done that.
Speaker 3: So you've never been in a Broadway show.
Speaker 4: I consider that I've done that because I did do Shakes from the Park.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, and that is like a version of.
Speaker 3: Broadway right right.
Speaker 2: But maybe I'll still. I mean, I'm not dead yet.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you've got plenty of time, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe, yes, I did. I did theater in New York for a long time and then.
Speaker 3: Have no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really terrible stuff, really terrible things, horrible. Play.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we should play a game.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I love games so much, I really do.
Speaker 3: Oh incredible. I love to hear that we're gonna play a game called Gift or a Curse. But before we do that, I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 2: Is this gonna be about opinions?
Speaker 3: It's about facts?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: Oh great, Okay, okay, I tell you about it.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you know what, it's none of my business.
Speaker 3: None of your business. Okay, all right, your nose.
Speaker 2: Between ten and twelve, one and twelve.
Speaker 3: Let's do ten and twelve today.
Speaker 2: Okay, I guess eleven.
Speaker 3: Okay, with the number eleven, I have to do some light calculating to get our game pieces. So you have the mic right now. You can recommend something, promote something, do whatever you want. I'll be right.
Speaker 2: No, I have to talk. Oh god, what No? I feel so alone right now.
Speaker 4: I don't know what do I recommend? I guess if you like cooking. I recom mend the New York Times cooking recipes. They have some really good recipes, and every time I make one there, I'm boring myself.
Speaker 2: See this is I can't I can't do this. Does every please come back to me?
Speaker 3: This is kind of the Juilliard of this podcast, where we just absolutely break you down and you have to learn to stand on your own. I just I need someone to New York Times recipes. They have some They have some recipes that are always haunting me. But then I click it and it says sign up, and I say no, thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh you can have my password. I'll give you my password. That's my other gift. And you know what, And I'll give you password.
Speaker 3: Using that password and your boring pass, I will become Maria Thayer. Watch out Maria that. If you can hear the police in the background, they're onto us, onto me. Excellent recommendation. What am I going to do? You know what I'm going to recommend is the album Green River by c CR Credence Cleairwater Revival. Have you heard this album?
Speaker 2: What sing me a song from it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I can't sing? Do you know the song? I mean? Bad Moon Rising? But bad Moon. Incredible song.
Speaker 2: Low Die, Low Die wrote.
Speaker 3: A song for everyone.
Speaker 2: No, what is it? I don't know. That's time.
Speaker 3: I will not sing a note on this podcast. That'll be career ending. Excellent album. I hadn't listened to it in years, front to back, incredible, incredible album on at least Do you have anything to recommend?
Speaker 2: How dare you make me speak? I know Affle, you know what.
Speaker 6: I'm going to recommend that everybody go see Twisters because Bridger hated it, so I no, I.
Speaker 3: Did not hate. I thought it was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen, but very fun. Okay, very fun.
Speaker 2: All right, maybe you're not on my shit list.
Speaker 3: Okay, Twisters doesn't make any promise other than being a dumb movie about that, and it was very fun.
Speaker 2: It was very fun.
Speaker 6: We need more movies like that to come out in the summertime.
Speaker 3: And ultimately it needs the press. It really is. I'm sure it's hurting for.
Speaker 2: Mommy, it's so hurting.
Speaker 3: Okay, we've all made recommendations all over the map. It's time to play gift or a curse. I'm gonna name three things. Yes, you're gonna tell me if there're a gift or a curse? And why okay, then I will tell you if you're right or wrong, because there are correct answers and you can fail. You can get a pink ribbon, but you're shooting for a blue ribbon.
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is that the highest?
Speaker 2: Are you saying that this is a failure? That's what you seem like.
Speaker 3: I agree, I know I'm saying that it's just not the blue ribbon. This is the pink ribbon, which is a gorgeous shade. But we all know the blue ribbon is what Wilbur wanted to win in Charlotte's Web, and I can't remember how that turned out. For Okay, the number one the first thing we're going to be talking about today. This is from a listener named Eden. Gift or a curse when someone leaves their phone on do not disturb one hundred percent of the time.
Speaker 2: Gift?
Speaker 4: Why, Well, it's a boundary and people telling you their boundaries is a gift. I love it, and uh yeah, I do it. So it's a gift, so very into.
Speaker 3: It knocked it out of the park. You're you're talking to the right person with this. I don't think that it should even be an option on a phone. I think the phone should just that should be the standard for the phone where it's never bothering you.
Speaker 2: Ever, that's wonderful, and.
Speaker 3: You know you just go and check in with it, yeah, rather than it bothering you. I will frequently leave mine non do not disturb for days at a time, which gets frustrating for other people in your life. But big deal.
Speaker 2: But the thing is it doesn't mean anything because it does. Like it you do you get back to it? Yes, you get back to it, right.
Speaker 3: I mean I think when people try to call in a sense straight to voicemail, they freak out.
Speaker 2: Sometimes are people calling you one calls?
Speaker 3: My phone is ringing off the hook? You know? No, I get about three, I would say, two to three phone calls a day. Does that feel?
Speaker 2: That feels very popular to me?
Speaker 3: Actually, that's that? Can't possibly are some of these people?
Speaker 4: I mean, if you count spam calls, I get, you know, two to three, but I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I don't get that many phone calls. I place phone calls, I think, but it's only family members essentially, or very occasionally a friend I'll.
Speaker 2: Call, Yes, yes, me too, But I would.
Speaker 3: Much rather just have an undo not service. Then we're on my terms.
Speaker 2: What do you think about a FaceTime? An unplanned FaceTime?
Speaker 3: See this is I mean, we just talked about this on the podcast because no we're talking. We talked about something adjacent because somebody wrote in asking is it inappropriate to just call without texting? And I said, go for it. Yes.
Speaker 2: People sometimes get upset about that, but I think that's great.
Speaker 3: That's fine because you know that's but facetiming there's an expectator. You're going to be seeing the person, and you want to be mildly prepared to have your face blown up on someone's phone. Yes, and that feels weird. I need a text? Hey, would you mind? Do you want to FaceTime? Yes? Yeah, it's not can I FaceTime? It's not uh I need to FaceTime you? It's do you want to FaceTime?
Speaker 2: What if it's your brother or your mom?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not. I need them to in advance say okay, what about you.
Speaker 4: I I just won't answer if they FaceTime me and I don't want to, but I will my brother. I will FaceTime and I know he doesn't like it, so I still do it.
Speaker 3: I don't mind FaceTime.
Speaker 2: I say, can I FaceTime?
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: Now he won't.
Speaker 3: Oh so you have to sneak it in.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, he won't answer me, or he he or he'll say he probably would say no.
Speaker 2: I just say, like, I feel like he needs to.
Speaker 3: Be pushed a little bit. Okay, right right.
Speaker 2: I just said I like boundaries, and then I just immediately.
Speaker 3: Said it wor yes, no. I. I guess there's probably one my sister, if she facetimes me, I would probably if I feel like it's an appropriate time, would I answer yes. Most of the time, I'm just like, oh, they made a mistake. I'll hang up and they'll call me. And then if they FaceTime again, I think, oh, this person's a psycho. I'm blocking them.
Speaker 2: It only takes two two times.
Speaker 3: Very short fuse. Okay, so you've gotten one right so far, which is incredible. Number two This is from a listener named Rachel Gift her a curse talking animals in commercials.
Speaker 2: Gift why because animals?
Speaker 3: That's all you're gonna say about this? More animals, Maria wrong curse?
Speaker 2: No why because.
Speaker 3: I love to see an animal in a commercial. But the moment they're talking, it's a fake animal. The magic is ruined for me. Show me beautiful pictures of dogs running, cats eating, Well, don't show me the cat eating the wet food. No one wants that. But I love to see a real animal and a commercial even doing a trick or a stunt. But when their mouth starts moving, she's like, what is what am I looking at?
Speaker 2: I think animals should be seen and not heard.
Speaker 3: Seen and not heard.
Speaker 2: That that's wrong.
Speaker 3: Problematic now that people can tell how I vote. No, I think it's about it.
Speaker 2: Boundaries me a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, boundaries crossed when the animal begins to speak, if it's barking or meowing, that's okay, although then I start to wonder, as a starved animal or are they scaring it?
Speaker 2: I do think that when kids cry and.
Speaker 3: All the weirdest what is that? Yes? Someone recently made a good point to me about AI of child actors and babies. Let that be AI.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean, but then slippery slope, yes, and just like, well, what makes a baby?
Speaker 2: It's most actors act like baby.
Speaker 3: I love a producer being like he's forty three, he's a baby. But yeah, that that was the one time when I've been like, oh maybe hmm, maybe I can get on boards with computers taking over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't like that Geico lizard.
Speaker 3: I could take him or leave him. My niece had a crush on him for a while, which I found very cute. So she was in love with the Geico gecko that she just lets you I gave. Do you know what I think? I like wrote to Geico or something. It was like, how do I get a stuff version of what's his name? Gordon? Oh?
Speaker 2: I think his name is Gordon.
Speaker 3: I was like, can I get one? And they sent me one and it was like the best gift she possibly could have.
Speaker 2: That's all so sweet.
Speaker 3: And I should say that she's thirty two.
Speaker 2: She's a baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's a baby. No, this is she was probably three and she was obsessed. And what a great choice. He's so charming. He tries is a convertible, does work for an insurance company? Which is gets dark.
Speaker 2: Now it's it's true. You do like I had a crush on the Hefty Smurf.
Speaker 3: Oh, look he was so se his name's Hefty Smurf, Hefty Smurf. Let's see here. Of course this guy is red Hawk. Again, he's got the little tattoo. And then, of course, if we have somebody shirtless. Let's see, but aren't all of the smurf is always shirtless?
Speaker 2: I guess so is Papa Smurf somebody.
Speaker 3: I think, let's see here, Papa Smurf. Let's yeah, they're all shirtless. All of the Smurfs are pretty good looking. I'm gonna say they've got that great blue We found an erotic Papa Smurf almost immediately absolutely ripped skin tight red pants marvelous. Yeah, okay, that was a good choice for you to have a crush on. It was more humanoid.
Speaker 6: I just have to let you guys know that Gordon Gecko is actually the character from Wall Street played by Michael Douglass.
Speaker 3: But did they also name the insurance cart Martin?
Speaker 2: Wait Martin?
Speaker 3: Yeah, nobody knows. Currently as recording, we are the only three people in the world.
Speaker 2: That knows that is Martin.
Speaker 3: Spread the words Martin. No, no, no, no. They had the easy joke. There, go for it. I still call him Gordon. I don't care. Cancel my insurance Geico, I don't care. But ultimately a curse. Talking animals are a curse in commercials. So you've gotten one out of two so far. Here's your big moment to get at least one more point. This is from a listener named Andy. Andy has suggested gift her a curse middle aged men using a younger generation slang words ironically.
Speaker 2: Oh god, that is awful, truly awful. I don't get it. I don't get how people dude, like are they we're our own generation. Just let us be your own generation.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I just read that you that, so I just read that younger people don't like invisible socks. They were and like then so people are now like wearing right freaking out yes, and they're like I gotta.
Speaker 3: She's like, why even disguised?
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't like, they're not for you. It's not for you. You have other things.
Speaker 3: Also, you have hindsight where you think. I do remember a point in my life when that sort of sock was popular for children, and then a few years later I thought that looks bad. And then you switch to a noosu. Yeah suck. You had your long socks, yeah, wherever, whatever you want, but don't try to be don't seventeen?
Speaker 2: No, why just why just why why do that? What do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a gift. I'll tell you why.
Speaker 2: I really truly have to go.
Speaker 3: Maria's climbing on top of her motorcycle and driving away, firing her gun into the air.
Speaker 2: Oh god, what.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you exactly why. I will tell you exactly why. This is a gift. Of course it's mortifying. Of course it's humiliating. Of course it's unacceptable. But it is such a beautiful sign that the word is dead. It's the graveyard for the word once it comes out of the lips of a middle aged man trying to either ironically or purposefully use it. The word we all know. Well, the word's done. You can say goodbye to that word, shuffle it off, and the youth can start thinking of their new words again.
Speaker 2: I have a counterpoint to that, which is I think words go by too quickly.
Speaker 4: Oh interest, well, we don't get to save her words enough before the middle aged me to ruin them for like, let's just you know, I can't think of any because I.
Speaker 3: The one I'm thinking of currently. Well, first of all, I think that the Internet is to blame for that, because we all have access to all of the things immediately, so the middle aged men can hop right on board and start using the words. But you know, that's just the cycle. At this point, We've just got to keep thinking of new things. But the current one that's being all over the news is brat. Have you heard this? We're seeing every news anchor trying to figure out what bratt means. I mean, I'm sure Charlie XCX is freaking out happiness. No, I'm sure. Well, maybe it's like, oh, finally here's a little cash, but it's like, now my word has been ruined by the Channel nine news by four six year olds saying brat over and over and over again, trying to figure out what green means. But it means bratt.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't know. Maybe there's more too.
Speaker 3: I don't know, ask Chuck, but uh, Bratt has been kind of it has been very powerful, Yes, I mean, I mean it's really boosted the campaign, although it makes me wonder, is now Taylor Swift going to say, well, because Tamala is so on board with Charlie, can I not touch this? Because I'm jealous? And everyone's saying, what's Taylor Swift going to do? The politics of pop music are fascinating.
Speaker 2: God that question. Honestly, I'm getting sick to my stomach. I just like don't. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, only time will tell, Only time will tell.
Speaker 4: Just like I don't know. Yeah, I just don't know. I don't what is happening.
Speaker 3: I need you to speak to this moment, Maria.
Speaker 2: I can't. I can't. It's very person like me.
Speaker 3: You know exactly what's going on. You're very shrewd. But know who knows?
Speaker 2: Yes? No, I yes, no, yes, no. I did see that newscast A Bratt. That's how I was. I was cued into Bratt. Actually, I was like, I've even passed those people.
Speaker 3: Had you heard of Charlie XC action? But Brat was it was in your bones? Yeah? I guess it was absolutely. Had you enjoyed the songs?
Speaker 2: I mean no, I don't. I didn't know them. I now I have enjoyed them. I mean, but I still but I still I've listened to them. I enjoyed the dances. I do enjoy a.
Speaker 3: Good bread dance. But I mean I can't say. I mean the fact that I just said that is I've now killed the word.
Speaker 2: But do you know about that dance?
Speaker 3: Of course? Of course, I mean again, the dance has been the internet, sex everything. It's like a little It's truly like there's a chicken nugget on the ground and every fly in the world lands on it. At once. Things get eaten up and snapped away from us.
Speaker 6: Please let me teach it to you. I will teach you. I will, absolutely, and then that will be the effect. Then you'll have to prove that this is actually.
Speaker 3: There is no chance to me too. Absolutely absolutely, this is gonna air in a month before are gonna be looking us suing the Apple Dance in a month we prove.
Speaker 2: That it's actually a gift. There you go, the.
Speaker 3: Fact that I'm trapped on audio being absolutely blackmailed by my producer. This is disgusting. I don't even know where to go from here.
Speaker 2: No, there's nowhere to go.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sweating, I'm nauseous. I would have rather woken up at four am. Well, you got one out of three, which.
Speaker 2: It's true I got. In my mind, I got three.
Speaker 3: Out of three, and that's all that really matters. You're you're wearing whatever type of socks you want? Yes, exactly, Okay, Well, decently played. This is the final segment of the podcast. It's called I said no emails people write into I said gifts at gmail dot com. You know, it's hard to not say they're begging for answers. Okay, they're absolutely begging. Would you help me answer a question?
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's get into the doc. This says, hello, Bridger and thoughtful guest. That's very nice. I think that's very true. You've proven over and over this is I've been happily divorced since twenty nineteen. Well, that remains to be seen. Since then, I have exchanged gifts and well wishes with my former mother in law for birthdays and Christmas. This past Christmas, I sent my children to their grandparents' house with our chosen gift lo and behold, no gift was returned. Nothing. She didn't even reach out. Now, I didn't say no gifts. I have gotten them for the past several years and was utterly hurt to be frozen out. I at least expected a card, as I had been part of the family for over eighteen years. Nothing for my birthday either, not even a text. Mother in law's birthday is coming up. I'm conflicted on if I should send a card, do a gift, or ignore it altogether. I'm leaning towards just breaking free from that entire family. But what does Bridger etiquette say? Giftless in Tennessee? Serenity, and that's from Brianna or Brianna.
Speaker 2: So if I understand, she got divorced in twenty nineteen, right before the pandemic.
Speaker 4: Perfect, perfect, and then she has been giving her mother in law, former mother in law.
Speaker 2: Gifts until last year.
Speaker 4: Yes, so this has been going on for a while, Okay, right, and this is the first year that she has not.
Speaker 5: Received a gift or a thank you card, nothing at all? Okay, dead silence, got it? Absolute just darkness. I mean, I think we should just put the obvious out that the mother in law died. That feels like a clear How else, I mean, how are any of us supposed to know if this woman's alive. There were all these signs of life up until a very distinct point, and now Brianna's children might be keeping a secret from her.
Speaker 2: Ayah, they went to Grandma's load to bear.
Speaker 3: I know we all have Grandma's dead. We can't tell mom, and we have to let mom just keep sending her gifts, which is torturing the ex husband. The ex husband feels like he's been taunted by this ex wife gifts. So that's one thing that could have and most likely happened. Number Two, there's a new wife in the picture.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I didn't even think of.
Speaker 3: Daughter in law who has kind of become the Spengali of the mother and his brainwash her until the gift exchange is happening there and Brionna's vanished.
Speaker 2: Yes, but maybe that wouldn't the kids tell the.
Speaker 3: The Oh well again, maybe the kids are keeping a secret.
Speaker 2: These kids are incredible.
Speaker 3: Maybe the kids are falling in love with new step mom. Yes, and they don't. They're so conflicted.
Speaker 2: Yes, they want to be the gifts.
Speaker 3: Right, they're thinking of ditching Brionn all together.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's not true, Brianna.
Speaker 3: But you never know, Brianna, think about that right before you go to bed. And then the third option is this mother in law is ungrateful and horrible. So what do you do with the final option when your mother and ex. Let's okay, and again, let's say, Brianna, you keep calling your mother in law. Brianna's a little delusional at this point. No longer X it's an ex mother in law. But eighteen years, eighteen years, but you're not so calling your husband, your husband, Brianna, or if you are, then we'd need to that's another email X. Yeah, so you know at some point I'm.
Speaker 2: I'm taking this very seriously.
Speaker 3: As you should. So what should she do?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we don't have all the information.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 2: She hasn't either.
Speaker 3: She left to have so many crucial details. Drive by your house before you send the email. Check the obituaries.
Speaker 4: Oh, there's a lot of reasons why she Maybe she feels maybe the mother in law feels weird about them still being in touch. Right, she's crazy, they'll be if there's if the kids are still right, maybe there is another voice in there.
Speaker 2: Maybe the ex is dating somebody, and but as.
Speaker 4: Somebody who I have a family member that is a family member, and I always give her gifts and she never gives me gifts. And I don't even know if she even gets them. I send them because and then and then, so like last Christmas, I gave her something and then a few months ago she sent me a picture of her using.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so she is getting them.
Speaker 2: So she's getting them, but she's not thinking me or anything. But do you know what, sure it just if you want to give a gift.
Speaker 3: That's why it's a gift. Yes, you can't expect anything. No, it's not an exhame.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And if you want to give I think it's lovely if she wants to keep her children's grandmother in her life, right and if that include its gift giving. But if it's healthier for her to like she's never to not to not have that relationship with her ex mother in law.
Speaker 2: I mean, she's gonna have a relationship with her because she she's.
Speaker 3: There, no matter right, at some point they're going to cross paths.
Speaker 2: That's that's I took it seriously.
Speaker 3: And what do you think I think? I mean, I think that's very healthy. I do think that there's a chance that the mother in law has do not disturb on her phone.
Speaker 2: Which you always already said yes, yes.
Speaker 3: So maybe Brionna needs to also turn it on on her phone and then continue sending gifts be you know, you just it's nice to have the edge as a better person, continue to show off how good of a person you are. And this mother in law.
Speaker 2: That was the underlying thing of what I was saying. Actually that's what actually was.
Speaker 4: I pretended like it was just like be a good person. But it's like, be a good person, so I will.
Speaker 3: Yes, So the new lady in the husband's life knows how great you are, how everybody just looks at you as this kind of eternal sunshine.
Speaker 2: Yes, you were unfazed. You also have so much money that you're like, you're generous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've got it all, thoughtful guests, you're the thoughtful personn.
Speaker 3: Ex exactly, Brianna. You don't want people to think things are going wrong, and the first way to let things people know things are going wrong is to stop giving gifts. Yes, so actually get progressively more expensive gifts, even if it ruins you, because if she's not dead already.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're gonna guilt this lady into an early gests.
Speaker 3: You'll kill her soon enough. Yes, Brianna, Oh, don't right back in. Okay, we answered it perfectly. We probably solved a lot of issues in that family. Yes, who knows. Maybe there's a rekindling of love, there's you know, children revealing secrets. There's no telling what this podcast can do. Oh, Maria, I have this beautiful piece of art. I have a prize winning piece of art. True, this is the first award winning piece of art I've gotten this podcast.
Speaker 2: Am I going to be able to tour the to see the other.
Speaker 3: I can show you the other art so exciting. Yeah, I'll bring it out. We've gotten a few pieces that are all lovely. I've had such a wonderful time with you here today. Thank you for extremely boring. I know I'm exhausted. I know we're gonna have to cut this down to about three minutes of audio. Thank you for being here. My pleasure listener podcast is screeching to a halt, Go do something else. I love you, goodbye. I said, No Gifts is an exactly right production. It's produced by our dear friend on Aalise Nelson, and it's beautifully mixed by Ben Holliday. And we couldn't do it without our guest booker, Patrick Cottner. The theme song, of course, could only come from a miracle worker, Amy Mann. You must follow the show on Instagram. At I said no Gifts, I don't want to hear any excuses. That's where you get to see pictures of all these gorgeous gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see pictures of the gifts?
Speaker 1: And I invited you hear thought a man myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest to me, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no gifts, your presences presents enough, and I'm already too much stuff.
Speaker 2: So how do you dare to survey me?