Speaker 1: Emily. I don't know if I've ever told you this, but this is not the first podcast idea I've ever had. Well, this actually is the second on the list, and the first, okay, ready was going to be it's me and my wife were both doctors, as you know, and we were going to sit and drink alcohol and talk through medical studies together. And do you know what I was going to call it?
Speaker 2: No, But first of all, I love it, and I hope you should also. I think you should also make this if one podcast is not enough, I would listen to that. But what is the title?
Speaker 1: Docs on the Rocks?
Speaker 2: That is so plascular? I love everything about it. Is the problem that your wife is too smart to get involved with this with you?
Speaker 1: Yes, that is one hundred percent of problem. I was enthusiastic. I brought as I bought two microphones. I was like, and it'll be like date night. It's like, but we're going to record it and we're gonna have drinks and then there would be a segment at the end, maybe at the beginning of the end. I didn't really think it through, but like, what are we drinking tonight? Like maybe one night it's some wine, maybe something maybe it's a fancy cocktail of some kind, and you know, I would be me and she would be like a normal person, a more normal person. I think it works, and I think it's so.
Speaker 2: Great, and I'm also feel like she said no, and then you were like, who's next. I'll go to Emily. She'll probably come. You'll probably be Emily's game.
Speaker 1: But I'm excited that to at least like have a little bit of the vibe of docks on the rocks right now because we're talking about alcohol though it's early.
Speaker 2: When we're Perry, what are you drinking?
Speaker 1: Drink any It's just a vodka enema, so technically nothing.
Speaker 2: I'm drinking a Fair Life Nutrition Plan protein shake, which is a touch of gin.
Speaker 1: Okay, alcohol coming right up.
Speaker 2: I'm Emily. I'm an economist and a data expert.
Speaker 1: And I'm Perry Wilson. I'm a medical doctor.
Speaker 2: It's Thursday, July twenty third, twenty twenty six. And this is wellness.
Speaker 1: Actually, because you're getting a staggering amount of health and wellness information nowadays from every source imaginable, and some of it is awesome and.
Speaker 2: Some of it is well actually bull Fortunately, we are both people who know how to read studies, how to parse the data, and can tell you what's worth thinking about and what you can safely ignore.
Speaker 1: But before we dig in, a note that this podcast is for educational purposes and should not be construed as medical advice. We don't know your unique situation, so talk to your doctor for personal health decisions.
Speaker 2: This week we're asking what's the deal with alcohol? Harry and I will give the official smasher pass, and then we'll get to your question of the week. But first let's do the health news roundup. After the break.
Speaker 1: And we're back with the health news of the week. Emily, there is one thing that keeps coming across my health news feed over and over and over again as frequently as many people across the country are running to the bathroom, and that is, of course, cyclospora. What is the latest status of the cyclospora outbreak?
Speaker 2: So I should say we're recording this at ten thirty six am on Tuesday, so it is very possible that something else will have happened. I cannot explain to you how insane the public health messaging has been around this. So at the end of last week they had identified Iceberg Lettuce as a core cause. And the way they did that is like in Michigan, they talked to a subset of the people who had the explosive diarrhea, like a huge share of them had eaten a Taco Bell and of those, like ninety percent had eaten iceberg lettuce at Taco Bell. So it was like, okay, it's probably the iceberg letus from Taco Bell. And then they traced that back to Taylor Farms, who traced it back to a single plant in Mexico, who then said, okay, let's just recall all of the iceberg lettuce from that plant because it seems plausible it has cyclospora. That felt like, okay, we're kind of getting there. That seems like the answer.
Speaker 1: This is how epidemiology works.
Speaker 2: Then over the weekend, the FDA said that they had tested some iceberg lettuce, not from Taco Bell, but some other iceberg lettuce from Tailor Farms, and they had found cyclospora parasites on it. And it was like, okay, that's like check. Now we're even more sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then they walked that back and they said, actually, that particular test maybe was a false positive. Okay, everything else is still true. All the taco bell stuff, all the epidemiology, all of this is still true. But then Taylor Farms said, oh, now the FDA has said it's not us, which is not what the FDA said. And then the FDA was like, no, we didn't, we didn't apologize, and then people started talking about how Taylor Farms had given Donald Trump a million dollars like over the weekend. And I think fundamentally the messages donate Iceberg. Let us right now. But it could not be more stupid.
Speaker 1: I confusing, It is so confusing. I did dig in a little bit to like the various tests that are used to essay for cyclospora and the false positive rates. I mean they're not zero, but they're very low. You know, they have specificity of ninety eight to one hundred percent, so false positive rates of sub two percent. So there's I mean, it's always possible.
Speaker 2: Of course, now you're the tin hat. You're joining the tin Hath conspiracy theory of like the FDA is being bought off by something.
Speaker 1: I'm just asking questions, Emily.
Speaker 2: It's a little suss, a little sus. If the kids would say, there's something going on, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you the most genius thing that happened this weekend is we were out celebrating a friend's birthday and it was like a fun night, and we go back to their house at the end of the night and someone's like, let's door dash bunch of taco bell and the theory here was there is no better time to door dash a bunch of talk. This is going to be the healthiest talk of my husband ever.
Speaker 2: Is as the economist firm of that which he's like, tacobo must be so cheap. Right now, we should go you know how much food you can get for almost nothing and there won't be any lines. Mean, we're thinking, we're thinking the same the time. But guys still avoid iceberg lettus for the moment unless you know where it was grown and it was like your backyard, all right. Next up, aging research is setting upper bounds on our human life span. Disappointing news for Brian Johnson and for the rest of us. But what does this say? How old could I live to be?
Speaker 1: These studies are entirely theoretical and always so interesting to me. Like people have asked the question, this isn't what this study is about. But people have asked the question, like what if you what if the only thing that could kill you was accidents? Right, like like you're basically a mortal, you're an l or something, but like you can get killed if you fall out of a tree or something like that, but you'll never get sick, you'll never get old. And you can model this mathematically because you know what like the rate of accidents, fatal accidents are And it turns out I'm not going to get exactly right, but it turns out like unaverage, people would live to be seven hundred or eight hundred years old if the only thing that could kill you was getting in an accident. Okay, cool. This study looked at DNA mutations, so as you age your DNA, you know, little gamma rays come from outer space and they mutate DNA, and they asked the question, if this is the only thing that can kill you, are these like random gamma rays? Like we fix everything else, right, there's no heart disease, there's no cancer, but we can't fix the random gamma rays mutating your DNA. What's the maximum you can live? And the overall answer it was one hundred and forty six to one hundred and ninety four years. This was limited mostly by problems in your heart, which the DNA mutation accumulation would cause fatal heart ysfunction at about one hundred and fifty years. Similar levels in the brain. Interestingly, the liver, which is always just like down to party, could go for thousands of years before it would kill you from just DNA mutations alone. And so the researchers are saying, like, Okay, this is like longevity people. You know, this is the upper limit here, like you fix all the other stuff, you know, this is what's going to get you. But of course, like if you fix all the other stuff, I don't know, can't wait fix totally.
Speaker 2: I mean, this seems ridiculous. I don't know if these people have not watched Futurama where you just put your heads in the in the continue to watch Futurama. That was so great. People just live forever and their heads were like and these like it was just their head in like a little tube or whatever. I don't know how it worked, but it's yeah, yeah, like all the less, so get with it, aging researchers. But but I think it's like, mathematically, this is a super interesting approach. I like it I like it a.
Speaker 1: Lot of Yeah, that's kind of fun. Let's move on to talk about Secretary of str I mean, I think legally it's still the Secretary of Defense, but whoever he is has a plan to test all I guess nope, male.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it's to test all people in the military for testosterone, including ladies. Spoiler, they don't have very much.
Speaker 1: Oh geez, Okay. I love when stories are even stupider than I assume more.
Speaker 2: Logic than than he was going with this.
Speaker 1: So I think the overall, at least the overall idea here is that they want to identify people with low testosterone and presumably to supplement it in order to increase the efficacy of the armed forces. If you want to go back in time to our testosterone replacement therapy episode, you can get all the science about why this is a bad idea, including the fact testosterone supplementation doesn't end up doing much for men except increasing libido, and testing testosterone levels is not really recommended unless you're having libido or rectile dysfunction problems. And I don't think that's what the Secretary of War is worried about. God, I hope it's not that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think his you know, I think he's sort of pitching an idea here that's like, I mean, we've seen this, this is Captain America. But I think you know, FDA approved level of testosterone supplementation will not produce Captain America. No, So I'm not really sure where we're going with this issue.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, you could like juice up all the army people. You've give them real steroids, like anabolic steroids, and you know, have them go into roid rage in the battlefield. I'm not really sure that's what we want. I don't know. This feels I don't exactly know how to put this, but this obsession with testosterone and sperm count and stuff feels like this is what my kids would say. It's like small dick energy. Okay, that's what this is.
Speaker 2: That's what it is like.
Speaker 1: Just you don't have to prove your manliness constantly by like announcing it to the world and performing it just like be a good dude, Jesus, be a good dude.
Speaker 2: But consider getting your sperm count and disosterone levels and a small tattoo in a place that you know, just people might see, like on your cheek.
Speaker 1: Consider the lower back. That's what I want all our army, you know, like that's it, That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, that's what I want.
Speaker 1: Let's make that manly, all right. I think with those news items under our belt, let's take a dive into alcohol. And you know, I think we can actually skip this entire episode because someone has summed it up more perfectly than you and I ever could. Emily. Let me play the clip to.
Speaker 3: Welcome because of and solution to all of life's problems.
Speaker 2: Homer is very wise. He's wise.
Speaker 1: This is the best episode if you're a Simpsons fan. The prohibition episode is so great when he becomes the beer baron and Marge is actually proud of him for doing something clever as he's filling bowling balls with hooch, and like there's a whole system of pipes that takes sit from the bowling alley to mose bar. Such a classic alcohol Emily has been around for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people have been fermenting things for a very long time. I think the first confirm fermentation is seven thousand BCE, so that's what nine thousand years ago.
Speaker 1: That's a long time.
Speaker 2: I mean, fermentation is not hard, you leave stuff. You could imagine how this happens, right, You make some stuff with rice, you leave it out for a little while, you're thirsty, you taste it, you realize it doesn't taste that great. But boy, is this fun? And then we're kinda off to the races.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And it's not just humans who do this amazingly. So a brief list of animals who have been documented to actively seek out fermented fruits. So these are animals basically that like, there'll be a you know, fruit rotting essentially becomes alcoholic over time. Here's some animals that like to play around with these chimpanzees, black handed spider monkeys, African elephants, tree shrews, and even fruit flies. Although apparently fruitflies aren't getting drunk. They're laying their eggs in fermented fruit because the antiseptic properties of alcohol prevent some egg diseases on fruitfly eggs. That's nice.
Speaker 2: So people have been consuming alcohol, either for fun or you know, in some periods, beer was a sort of much safer way to consume liquid than water because it was much less likely to be full of cholera and so on. So we really, alcohol is you know, it's one of our oldest customs. The Romans loved wine. Every everybody loves alcohol.
Speaker 1: Everybody loves alcohol. Why are they telling us it's so bad for us?
Speaker 2: Then? I don't know. I guess we're ready to get into that. But it is. It has been popular for many millennia, let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: On the medical side, a bit of fun history of prohibition. Not that prohibition was that fun. So US Prohibition was from nineteen twenty to nineteen thirty three. The Eighteenth Amendment ban the sale of alcohol at that time, but it did carve out an exception for medicine, and so you could get a prescription for medicinal whiskey. And apparently in that period doctors wrote an estimated eleven million prescriptions for medicinal whiskey, treating ailments ranging from indigestion to depression, usually charging a hefty fee for those prescriptions.
Speaker 2: What else is new that sounds right? I mean, Prohibition is a very interesting historical episode, obviously, because there were a lot of social problems. There are a lot of social problems caused by alcohol. You can see the instinct, and yet you seem to really backfire in a lot of ways. It was certainly unpopular in addition to generating a lot of mob related crime and apparently fake prescriptions.
Speaker 1: You banned stuff that is really easy to make in your own home, and people are going to make it in their own home totally.
Speaker 2: Have you ever made your own alcohol?
Speaker 1: I have. I brew I've brewed my own beer. That's all I've done. I've never distilled anything, but I had fun brewing my own beer. I made this very delicious tasting IPA that was not very high in alcohol content, which is now like a popular thing.
Speaker 2: One time in college, one of my roommates brought back raisin based homemade liquor from Christmas break. It was bad. Actually, I wouldn't recommend making hard Linger out of raisins.
Speaker 1: One thing I used to see in Pennsylvania are people who would come in with chronic lead toxicity, which can present doctors as the triad of kidney disease, gout, and hypertension. And what we would occasionally trace it back to are people making moonshine, because in Appalachia, people will often distill the liquor. The moonshine liquor in old car radiators, which used to be lead lined and so the lead would leach out into the moonshine. Then they drink moonshine. They'd come and see us with gout and kidney disease.
Speaker 2: Yikes. Okay, all right, so don't make your moonshine and your car radiator more. You know, how does alcohol work, doctor Perry, Let's do it. What are the reasons the alcohol is fun? Basically, that's the first question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it works in your brain. It actually works like a lot. We have drugs that kind of work in similar ways, and alcohol sort of touches on all of these. So the primary one that you'll read about is that if it stimulates the GABBA receptor in the brain. This is the same receptor that benzodiazepines like adavan, valuum, those types of drugs bind too, So it gives that sort of tired, sleepy, funky feeling that comes with stimulation of that receptor. But it also blocks the NMDA receptor. That is what ketamine does, so it has a little bit of the depressiant effect or the dissociative effect that you see with ketamine. It causes dopamine release in the brain, which is why it feels pleasant and happy and good at least for most people, and it releases endogenous opioids, so it has even an opioid effect in the brain. So it kind of it's like it's like an amazing cocktail note pun intended of drugs that people like to abuse because it makes their brain feel nice and it also makes you peel lot.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we talked about prohibition and and post prohibition, Americans have been drinking a lot. But actually in the US, the amount that people drink has been going down very precipitously over time. There was a sort of bump up over the last short period. There was a bump up during COVID wheneveryone was at home drinking, but it has continued a downward slide and we are now seeing both the sort of the lowest levels of drinking, the most number of people who are totally sober, and also a lot of discussion in I would say, the wellness and health space about how much alcohol is okay and more and more a message that none is okay. I would say, the kind of there's a piece of health messaging that comes some of it from the government, some of it from official sources, some of it from online that's in the space of you know, the appropriate amount is really none, and that even a small amount is bad for your health, and how bad is not so clear, and that's the piece of the messaging. I'm most interested in looking at the data on today because I think it's the piece that's most relevant for a lot of people. But before that, I actually do want to touch just briefly on the question of problematic drinking, because these are fundamentally somewhat different questions, And the question of you know, is it okay three times a week to have a glass of wine with dinner is pretty different from you know, how do we think about someone who from whom alcohol is getting in the way of their life or their family's life or other things. But that is an issue for many people. Alcohol is something a lot of people have a problem with and abuse. And it's also very clear in the data that heavy drinking is associated with quite a lot of bad outcomes. There are large estimates of amount of access death from heavy drinking. So I'm not even sure how to separate these, and I think it gets complicated because there's a continuum, it's not just two groups of people. But I do want to try hard in the discussion to sort of separate those two things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I think I think most people you know, if you have alcohol use disorder, if your alcohol use is affecting your daily life, if you feel guilty about drinking, if a loved one has brought it up to you that perhaps you're drinking too much, if you need to drink after you wake up in the morning, Like, there are plenty of signals of problematic drinking, and that is a group of people who need to seek some help because it definitely is associated with many bad health outcomes and of course life outcomes. And that's not really what we're talking about today. We're talking to the majority of people who may drink a bit, they drink moderately, who are hearing all these statements that every single glass of wine you have, every single drink is poison and want to know if that's true or not. And that's where we have to break down the data.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before we leave the question of problematic drinking, this is actually a space where we could do another episode on it. But there's a space where there is an increasingly interesting discussion about different possible treatments. There's been some evidence of gilp ones have improved alcohol use disorder. There's a drug called nltroc zone which people have used, and actually a variety of interesting ways to try to limit alcohol use. So that's for another day, but let me just leave here by saying, if you are struggling with alcohol use disorder, if you feel like alcohol is getting in the way of your life, that really is something to seek treatment for, and it is there are an increasing number of possible solutions that might be helpful.
Speaker 1: Sounds good for the rest of you. We are going to dig into the data about light to moderate drinking and its health effects if any.
Speaker 2: After the break, Okay, Perry, we are back and we're going to talk about what the data says on light to moderate drinking. And I want to play you a clip of somebody's feeling about this.
Speaker 4: It's one of those areas where you don't understand the hidden cost until you really give it up for a while. And then I think about my own relationship with drinking, and I stopped drinking at thirty years old and now thirty three, and I had just drank because I just drank. I'd never ran the experiment of just giving it up for a while, and then like, I don't know, must maybe I was at thirty one. I thought, you know, I have a drink again, because now I could really ab test it. I had a year of not drinking, decided to have a drink again. It ruined three days of my life. I had a couple of glasses of wine, didn't get drunk. It ruined three days of my life because of the domino effected course, sort it meant that I got worse sleep that night, and then because I got worse sleep that night, I more poorly the next day because my my dopamine system or whatever, the quartersole system was all messed up. And then I podcasted worse. I didn't go to the gym the day after that, that day all the day after because of that, because I felt really bad. I then slept worse. And I could track all of this on my week hashtag and hashtag sponsor, hashtag investor whatever. Yeah, And I was like, oh my god, the three glasses of wine had this hidden domino effect that I must have been living with, yeah, for my whole life.
Speaker 1: I like how one of his metrics was like, oh, I'm not as good at podcasting after I drink, which definitely I was like, oh, no, did you drink last night? I had a gossip of wine last night, or maybe slightly more than that.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't drink, actually.
Speaker 1: You don't drink alcohol ever what not?
Speaker 2: Ever, I very occasionally drink, and I used to drink more, but at this point I maybe like maybe once every couple of months.
Speaker 1: I feel like they should have come out earlier in the episode. But that's okay.
Speaker 2: I will tell you I more or less quid drinking because it really affects my whoop recovery score. It's the same reason as every other thing I do. Very Actually, it's like twelve percent of my whoop and that's.
Speaker 1: It so amazing. I mean, how do you you know, forget your troubles at the end of the day. How do you.
Speaker 2: Wildly I just like, look at my whoop recovery score. I'm like, okay, I don't, I am it's not something I miss. I really like, I really non alcoholic beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't mind something not alcoholic.
Speaker 2: Bear fan of But yeah, anyway, I don't drink. So that's why I'm so much better at podcasting than you.
Speaker 1: I guess that does explain quite a bit. Everyone Emily is a teetotaler, and I there's this old joke which is, if you ask a doctor what the definition of an alcoholic is, the answer is, well, anyone who drinks more than I do.
Speaker 2: So so if you ask not a doctor. But the US dietary guidelines, we actually have some I would say they're fluid guidelines, but we have some US dietary guidelines about how much alcohol is considered recommended. And again these things are always like, what do you mean recommended, Like that's a good amount, that's too lit with. But those numbers in the US Dietary Guidelines from twenty twenty to twenty twenty five were less than or equal to one drink a day for women two drinks a day for men. In the twenty twenty six guidelines, they just went with less, so I don't know, that's not a number, But the twenty six guidelines are a bit different. So just not so much is where they want.
Speaker 1: I should have said fewer. I feel like that's okay.
Speaker 3: Fewer.
Speaker 2: The American Heart Association is in the range of like two drinks a day probably limited risk. The World Health Organization says none, So there is you know, everyone kind of agrees that you should keep it low, but people differ on what that means or how bad it is. And the reason for that is that the data is mostly trash. Actually, when we are talking about light drinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think before we dig in, we're going to dig into some of the risks cancer, cardiovascular disease, and so on in a minute. But to set the stage, there is a problem in the literature. There's the standard problem of observational data, which we'll get to talk about this a lot. But there's another problem which is called or one way we can call it is linear extrapolation. And that's when you have have an exposure that has a dose. So it's not just like yes, no, you take a medication, but it has a dose associated with it, and you have a wide range of those doses, and you're looking at a large data set where some people have very high doses of the thing like alcohol, and some people are very low, and some people have none. And you look at the rates of some outcome and you draw a line, You fit a line of best fit to all of these data points. And one of the risks of doing that is that if the risk actually clusters at the high end fitting a line can be inappropriate. There can be threshold effects. For example, we see this not only with alcohol, but for example, with radiation dosages. So a lot of the sort of quote unquote risk of getting a chest X right for example, which is a vanishingly small amount of radiation, they'll be like, oh, it increases your risk of cancer by zero point zero zero zero three percent every chest X ray. Well, actually that data is coming from the cancer rate of people who were like in Hiroshima, Nagasaki and surrounding areas, who got you know, thousands of times the doses and then a linear extrapolation down to getting one one thousands of the dose, and that's just not always accurate in biology. So that's a big meta problem we're going to have to face with all this stuff. And I think that's why the who comes out and says like no level is safe, because they're extrapolating. They're extrapolating.
Speaker 2: And then of course we have our standard observational data problem. There's a little you know, we'll talk I think maybe at a couple of places where you've got a little bit of randomized data on sort of small things, but for the most part this is going to come from data that compares people who drink different amounts and looks at their outcomes and tries to adjust for some differences across them, but is not going to be able to do that in a complete way. And I actually think sometimes we talk about this, I think it can be quite opaque to people, like what do you mean They couldn't adjust for the things like what do you mean they couldn't see enough details about about people. But in these studies you will see things about people like did they go to college, how much income do they have? You know, kind of in some broad buckets, but you won't see all of the little details. And like, to go back to our conversation about our behaviors, you and I actually in these studies to this researchers would look very similar other than our gender, right, we both we actually went to the same college. Forget they never see that, but we went to you know, we both went to college. We probably are in similar income brackets, we have you know, similar other kinds of risk factors. But let's say you were running a study where the outcome was like you know, some kind of like votumax or some like sort of cardiovascular performance when we run that study, you drink more than I do, and we're going to see, like that's going to if you and I are like representative, it's going to look like, boy, not drink is really good for your VOTWO max. But actually the reason I don't drink is because I'm doing every possible thing in my whole life to invest in the VOTWO max, which the researchers will never see. And that's the kind of example of where like there's so much in the data and it's all causing itself that it's really hard to draw conclusions, especially when you're talking about you know, what's the impact of one drink or two drinks, which where those impacts are very very small relative to the size of these biases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is one of the reasons I think red wine in particular, for like twenty years was a health food to some extent, because there was observational research that said, oh, you know, drinking a glass or two of red wine today is associated with the lower risk of cardiovascular disease and so on and so forth, And that is true associationally, like there's a correlation there, But who's the type of person who drinks red wine, especially versus other types of alcohol. Right, Yeah, it's rich people. It's you know, people who eat a very different diet than people who are drinking even beer or hard alcohol or things like that. And we sort of know this is BS because the explanation outside of confounding was, oh, no, red wine has these stuff in it, like recept stalls extre which is this special thing, and that's actually what's protecting your heart. And then they did a randomized child They're like, well, you don't need to the red wine. Let's just synthesize recever trawl and we'll give half the people that in half placebo and we'll see what their heart attack rate is and bupkus, nothing whatsoever.
Speaker 2: But I actually think that's a particularly good example of yet another problem here, which is we started telling people in the nineteen seventies red wine is good for you, and then who are the people who started drinking red wine? Is the people who are like, oh, I'm really interested investing in my health, I'm doing all this other stuff, I'm going to add some red wine. Then you come back to look at them later, it looks like red wine is even better because now it's even more selected so right right, anyway, this you know, you know how I feel about selection vibe.
Speaker 1: I know, but don't worry because I have a Mendelian randomization loiety and deep cut for podcast listeners. We know how much about my.
Speaker 2: Ex boyfriends in the studies here, all right.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about cancer. That's the elephant in the room. I think these days when we're talking about alcohol, and I will say from the doctor perspective that there's biologic plausibility here. Alcohol is metabolized in primarily in the liver, but also in the gut to acid aldehyde. Acid aldehyde damages DNA. It does. It is a DNA toxin. We know that that happens if you put outset aldehyde on cells in a petri dish. Therefore, if you have that floating around your body for too long, maybe it can damage DNA. Damaged DNA leads to cancer. It's so facto alcohol causes cancer.
Speaker 2: And in the observational data, you know, if you look at like you fit a trend to the entire distribution I'm drinking, you definitely see higher cancer rates with heavier drinking. But when you try to limit down to smaller amounts of drinking, even in these data, which again have these other biases. The effects are either zero or really really very tiny, and for example, a lot of these find kind of almost no increased risk for people who are saying not smokers, and that suggests that maybe some behaviors like smoking are also driving some of what we're seeing in the relationship, because those seem to move together.
Speaker 1: So yep, absolutely, there's the confounding of smoking, which is that when people who drink are more likely to smoke, and even when people drink, they might be more likely to smoke, even if they're not sort of chronic smokers. That's an issue. There is also likely some synergy here where the cancer promoting effects of smoke and the potential cancer promoting effects of alcohol sort of work together to increase the risk more dramatically. I think, Emily, you're referring to this big study of two hundred thousand health professionals in the US and the BMJ in fifteen, which basically showed that across kind of reasonable amounts of consumption, that there is no increased cancer risk among non smokers. There's an exception to this, which is breast cancer in women, and this is one that keeps coming up so it's very clear that alcohol doesn't increase the risk of all cancers. Even in the bad observational data. The cancers that are associated with alcohol intake mostly kind of lie in the GI trap, like the area of your body that gets exposed to the alcohol, so mouth and oral cancer, stomach cancer, colon cancer. But then breast cancer always stands out as a signal that we continue to see. So I am a little bit more worried about that. But you've heard that my wife is a breast cancer surgeon, so that one always is the monkey on my back.
Speaker 2: And I will say, even you know, in those the kind of size of the impact at small levels or drinking is very small. And I guess this gets to another piece of this, which is which we can sort of talk about it maybe more at the end. I think it's a it's a broader picture. But even the places where people would say, you know, maybe there's some hint of an increase in breast cancer, it's really really really small.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it is not the major risk factor for breast cancer.
Speaker 2: It's not the major risk factor for breast cancer. And I think we want to think about, you know, like that trades off against say the fact that you might enjoy this, And this is surrounds all of this conversation that we're kind of looking for evidence that alcohol is like somehow good for you, as opposed to saying, you know, there are a lot of things we do that are not health investments and that maybe even have some small negative impacts that we like, and that's you know, yeah, there's other reasons that people engage in these activities other than that they're a health food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I did. I worked pretty hard. We'll get there to try to find actual hard data that alcohol is good for you. We'll get there in a minute.
Speaker 2: But I will say, like another place that that Like in this BMJ study, one of the things you see, for example, is people who drink a little bit relative to not at all, which is kind of the parison we're looking at, are actually quite a bit more likely to have had a mammogram. So that one interpretation of some of this is maybe some of the cancer that we're seeing is actually like screening and not actual diagnosis, which again gets into the hole like it's just really really hard to interpret observational data when you're seeing such small effects because a billion different things in the data billion different differences might drive them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Let's try to get away from observational data. So I'm going to talk to you about a Mendelian randomization study. Okay, let's do the one that appeared in Cancer in twenty twenty two. So for those of you who weren't here the last time when Emily, let's just say where it got heated about this study design. The idea of Mendelian randomization is that in this case, some people are genetically predisposed to drink more alcohol than others. We know that there are certain gene variants that just meet and that mean all else being equal, you're going to drink a little bit more. Maybe it hits you in the right way, it's more pleasurable. You all might know some people who actually genetically almost can't drink alcohol. You know, many people of Asian ancestry lack the aldehyde dehydrogenase activity to appropriately process alcohol, and it becomes very unpleasant to drink even small amounts of alcohol. So there are genetic determinants of how much alcohol you take. In this study in Cancer in twenty twenty two looked at breast cancer risk. Again, something I'm concerned about when it comes to alcohol intake, and the model that predicted alcohol intake full stop showed that people genetically predisposed to drink more alcohol over their lives had no higher risk of breast cancer. But another model which looked at the genetic risk of problematic drinking, which is a separate genetic risk model, did show an increase risk of breast cancer. And so one possible interpretation of that could be that, you know, load to moderate amounts of alcohol intake don't increase your risk of breast cancer equal, but problematic intake does.
Speaker 2: Okay, I guess, I mean sure, I guess that could be an introvert.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on before Emily says anything else.
Speaker 2: I hate this method. I've please just I can't do it again. But I think that there are a lot of other things that these genetic variants might be linked to. And I don't really think this is any better than anything else. But I will say that it is not inconsistent with this broader picture that maybe at high levels, problematic drinking could be linked with a higher risk of cancer. I'm not sure we learn anything particular from this particular stupid technology. All right, that's I'm going to leave it there.
Speaker 1: Bottom line cancer if you drink, don't smoke.
Speaker 2: My husband told me last week it was like too much Medellia completely, So I'm just gonna I'm just gonna stop.
Speaker 1: Okay, please see prior episode for Emily's rant. All right, alcohol maybe modest effects on cancer. We're not too worried about load of matter intake. Don't smoke while you are drinking.
Speaker 2: Smoke, don't smoke. Oh yeah, cooking is associated with cancer.
Speaker 1: Don't smoke, right, right, right, sorry, don't smoke at all. Okay, smoke, but also don't smoke while're drinking. Even just the one. Let's talk about heart disease. I think it actually back in the day that was the bigger sort of both conservative. First of all, is like is it cardioprotective? Then you're right, is it good for your heart? And then is it bad for your heart? One slam dunk effect I will give you for alcohol on the heart is blood pressure. Totally. We know from randomized trials. You take people in the lab, you give them alcohol, or you give them place Ebo alcohol and their blood pressure goes up. But this effect is small. So one meta analysis I was looking at that integrated these results from randomized trials and the journal Hypertension. This is sort of an older study, but I mean this has been study for a long time. One drink less per day led to about a one millimeters of mercury lower systolic blood pressure. That's the top numbers. So I believe this is true, but the effect is not huge. That being said, if you're struggling with high blood pressure, alcohol ain't helping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I will say when I look when you dig into sort of some of the studies that make this up, they are mostly randomized trials that start with a population that's drinking quite a lot and then have to sort of encourage comes to drink to drink less. So like in one of these studies, you know, average consumption at the start is like thirty six strenths a week. That's a lot. I mean, that's more than that's more than five rimes.
Speaker 1: More than me.
Speaker 2: Like, that's just barely and so I think there's a There again, is a little bit of this interpolation issue, which is it's less clear if you are drinking one drink every day, if going down to zero would actually have an impact on your blood pressure. That would be that would be measurable, but it is worth saying, you know again, if you are struggling with this, it's something something to try based on that data.
Speaker 1: It is as nephrologists like me kidney doctors deal with complex hypertension. That's one of our sub sub specialties, and it's always on our checklist. Like, oh, you know, drink less alcohol.
Speaker 2: Heart disease in general has the J shaped curve. Drinking a little bit. J shaped curves love it because there's so much okay J shaped curve where, which means that the people with the lowest risk of heart disease are people who drink some but not very much or very little. Now, of course, people who drink a little bit are kind of different from both the people who don't drink in all of the people who drink a lot in ways that are observable and ways that are not observable, And so it has been very difficult to figure out whether this J shaped relationship is a real thing or just an artifact of observational bias.
Speaker 1: It's the second yeah, and it's the J shaped curve that led to a lot of that one to two drinks a day is heart healthy. There's just an other Simpsons quote where oh my god, another great episode where Homer gets hired by Hank Scorpio and their life is just perfect there, but the perfection of their life sort of gives them on Nui and Marge. You see her drinking and eventually they tell Homer that they can't live in this beautiful place anymore. And Marge is like, I'm drinking half a glass of wine a day. I know the doctors say you're supposed to drink a glass, but I just can't drink that much. So, you know, anyway, Sorry, that's what the doctors say. And it's this j shape curve that led to that belief. But one thing that sounds simple, but people really didn't account for in the early observational studies that people with chronic health conditions might be avoiding alcohol because they make their chronic health conditions worse. You know, people with cancer undergoing therapy are going to drink less than people who aren't, And so you get this tale where non drinkers have a higher risk of a lot of different things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is called reverse causality. We have a different name for them. And yeah, so that shows up there, and I think over time, people have kind of moved interesting aspect for me of this whole discussion is we had this J shape curve, and over time we've kind of moved away from the J shape curve into sort of arguing that this positive effect is gone and so it's really just only the increase. But somehow many people who are making that argument are making it like, well, the people who are not drinking at all are totally different from the people who drink a little bit, But those people are then unable to understand the argument that the people who drink a lot are also different. It's like we're only interested in understanding bias in support of view that we are hoping to hold right.
Speaker 1: Right right. For what it's worth, I did pull a Mendelian rantimization article Circulation Genomic and Precision Medicine twenty twenty which looked at cardiovascular disease based on genetic predisposition to alcohol intake and basically found more or less bup kiss. They did find higher risk of stroke in people who were genetically predisposed to alcohol intake and higher risk of peripheral arterial disease, but most of the other signals were pretty weak in that analysis. But no protection, certainly no heart health signal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I don't think it's reasonable to say, based on the data that alcohol protects you from heart disease. I think there's also pretty limited evidence that at moderate levels it is bad for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bad for your heart.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about a couple of things where I think this we maybe have better evidence that there are some impacts. So one is anxiety and depression, which alcohol use disorder in particular really makes quite a lot worse. And we have a lot of we have a lot of evidence on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just not this is not a treatment for anxiety. I know people think it is, and there's a lot of self medication going on with alcohol and anxiety and depression, but there's no evidence that people with those clinical diagnoses that alcohol has any benefit. In fact, there's quite a lot of evidence that it makes it worse. That ain't the solution. Now, this is different than alcohol acting as a social lubricant. We're not talking about just kind of I get a little anxious when I meet new people. We're talking about actual anxiety depression. But I just want to put it out there that this is not we're not going to see any benefit. We're only going to see harm with alcohol in those conditions.
Speaker 2: The other place I think is we're talking about is sleep. I think there's actually very little question that alcohol, even at relatively low levels, makes people sleep worse. Yeah, so people have you know, like it increases your resting heart rate, it lowers the quality of your sleep. And this is true for healthy people even with again sort of relatively mild amounts of alcohol consumption. So you know, I think this is the kind of thing that you can get into with the wellness. Like, you know, it made my resting heart rate three units hire and tiers. All of the problems with that, it's not really clear why. Again, sort of from a longevity or clinical meaningful health perspective, that matters. I will say, if you are looking to optimize tomorrow's performance in some you know, podcast or sporting event, you know it is perhaps not the best active Most people do not drink before a race. I will say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So give me some feedback everyone after this episode, how my performance, my performance was. I think it's worth mentioning that, yes, illlcohol clearly disrupts sleep. It also has an effect of suppressing rem sleep, which is dreaming sleep that's through that Gabba receptor antagonism, So benzodiazepines have the same effect. In fact, psychiatrists will use benzodiazepines to treat people who have chronic nightmares like PTSD induced nightmares and things like that, to suppress the dreams. But in general, you don't want to suppress your rem sleep. That's a lot of memory consolidation happens and learning happens, and so that's yet another reason to limit alcohol, especially right before bed.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people, in the case of alcohol use disorder. It is common for people to use alcohol to fall asleep, and then they're often up in the middle of the night because alcohol will help you fall asleep at the beginning of the night to some extent, but then.
Speaker 1: You withdraw essentially exactly.
Speaker 2: Withdrawal disrupts your sleep later.
Speaker 1: Right, and and alcohol is constantly getting metabolized, and especially if you are a frequent user of alcohol, then that withdrawal that happens at two three am. I mean, we've all been there, maybe not you, Emily, but or in college if you remember, I.
Speaker 2: Have been there, You've been there.
Speaker 1: At the two to three am you wake up, you're sort of you feel hyper, you feel uncomfortable's hard to fall back asleep. Not great, not great, folks.
Speaker 2: Okay, but let's talk about where alcohol is great, which is making parties more fun. Right.
Speaker 1: Basically, this is it's like everything in medicine is risk benefit, and we've given you a lot of risks and we don't have much benefits to share except that it is fun and it makes social interactions, which is.
Speaker 2: A real benefit. I mean, I think that is, like, you know, it's an aspect of this conversation that's very frustrating. Again, is this piece of it where it's like we're looking for evidence that alcohol is like broccoli and it's not. It's not like broccoli. Okay, Broccoli like you can have as much of it as you want. It's super energy, dense, a lot of fiber, Nature's brew. Broccoli is great for you, a lot of vitamins. Whatever. Alcohol is not broccoli. But we're talking about it like if it's not broccoli, it's basically cocaine, and it's like at low levels, it's also not cocaine. And I think we got to kind of like find the middle here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is is it? Bacon?
Speaker 2: I think it's like dorito. It's like Dorito's or bacon or something. It's like it's like fun, It's like it's sometimes food, you know, all right.
Speaker 1: I like that. The studies of alcohol and its social effects are really fascinating. And whenever I read these, I get sad. The eye study kidney disease, and I don't actually get to run these trials. So these are studies. These alcohol researchers bring people into the lab. Some of them have their lab set up like a bar to like have the full experience, so they have a bar in their lab and then they're measuring out all these precise amounts of alcohol. There's a fun study in psychological science in twenty twelve. They took seven hundred and twenty people strangers in groups of three, and they put them in a room and they randomize them to drink alcohol versus placebo, and then they saw, you know, how they felt they just interacted and how they felt about each other. And those who got the alcohol reported as significantly enhanced positive affect, So good feelings about the other people are reduced negative affect and increased self reported bonding. In short, they had a good time and they made some friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is really that's what that's what's for, man, that's what it's for. I don't know. I think that's what I'm curious here. What is the placebo like? Does it taste like alcohol?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They do. They have stuff that tastes alcohol ish, like medicinal I think maybe quinine or things. In some studies now they are using alcohol free beer and alcohol alcohol free wine de alcoholized wine, which now doesn't taste as crappy as it did ten years ago. A lot of advances I think. I don't know. Athletic I think is pretty.
Speaker 2: Good, but no, the beer is great, the alcohol free wine is I still haven't made any progress on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah. And there are some other studies as well that show, for example, in social interactions with alcohol compared to without alcohol, alcohol consumption moderated seven of ten associations between state social anxiety and indicators of healthy social interactions. What this means is that you measure someone's general social anxiety, how nervous they are, and how well they interact with new people, and across seven of ten of those metrics, alcohol improved the social interaction. So you don't want to go too crazy when you're meeting new people like you know, but it smooth things over. It does, it.
Speaker 2: Does, and I think that's that's worth Uh, that's worth noting. I mean, interacting with other people who you haven't met before is one of my nightmares, and so I actually really appreciate this.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to imagine how you even do it. I assume you just say hi, I'm Emily. Here is my Whoop score for recovery score for today.
Speaker 2: I don't like it. I don't I'm for someone whose life is spent so aggressively in the public eye. I am surprisingly shy and weird at parties, so.
Speaker 1: I'm not entirely surprised that the nicest way you've a long time.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you were in college parties with me when I was probably also super weird.
Speaker 1: H No, you're always I was drinking.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's move on.
Speaker 1: Always wonderful and charming. I threw in a study for you about I always have to find something about endurance athletes. So do you buy the idea? As as told in Sports Medicine twenty twenty six, a journal, we like that the observational links between alcohol and death overall mortality were restricted to only the twenty percent of people who got the least amount of exercise. So if you're in the top eighty percent of exercisers, the alcohol effect goes away. Is that nice?
Speaker 2: No, don't don't. I don't believe in this because it is the set of people who are exercising are very different from the set of people who are not. In the people who are exercising wealth alcohol, like those differences are smaller. This just feels to me like it is entirely driven by different kinds of complicated biases. And so it's good to exercise, but it doesn't mean that you can just you shouldn't drink while you exercise. Don't put fight in you're in your water bottle, my friends, it's not good.
Speaker 1: At the same birthday party, I was telling you about that where the taco bell incident happened back in the news portion of the show. What we did is one of these group bikes where there's twelve people on a bike. I don't know if you have one ountain Rhode Island, and you bike around the city from bar to bar. But it's really hard, like you get a real workout. I was sweating and I loved it. I was drinking. I was exercising and I was like, this is a great combo. I feel good in so many ways.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're on the bike with twelve other people on the scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a big oval of pedals, and so there's a driver and everyone's pedaling together and the driver is steering it around the streets of New Haven. It's fun, but it's a work. I think you're at a hill and everyone's like, oh no, it's a hill, and then at the red lights he makes you drink. Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean, I grew up in New Haven and I never knew about this amazing bike. Okay, option, I'm totally doing that.
Speaker 1: All right. People are going to ask us, and so I'm going to ask you, Emily, who doesn't drink, and you can ask me who does. How much is okay to drink?
Speaker 2: I think, in my view, is in moderation, which is defined by yourself. So I would generally tell people I wouldn't have more than two drinks a day, because I think as you get up above there, you start seeing some of these impacts on more meaningful impacts on things like sleep. But I certainly would not tell people not to drink at all. I don't think that the data supports that.
Speaker 1: I agree. My party line is I tell people they can drink just enough, and it's their job to figure out what just enough is and to try to draw the line there. This is also something you can experiment with. I told you on a prior episode that I did dry January this year, so I didn't drink for a month, and I was waiting to feel as a maaz as everyone says you're going to feel, and it's like, oh, my sleep is so good and my energy and my focus, and I really just didn't feel any different. And that was a valuable experiment for me.
Speaker 2: But you can do that, and I will say I also experimented with this, had more or less the opposite experience, which is totally changes how I feel in the morning. And I think that's that's why self experimentation is helpful.
Speaker 1: All right, Emily, smash or pass alcohol?
Speaker 2: Smash in moderation.
Speaker 1: Yep, I am a smash. You know, alcohol is proof that God loves us. I believe it. So that's it. That's it for alcohol. You're mail bag question of the Week after the break.
Speaker 3: Hi, Emily and Perry. This is Kristen in Minneapolis. My question for you is about sleep apnea. Perry. You mentioned you had it in an earlier episode, and I was wondering if you would talk a little bit more about how to recognize it in someone someone who snores, like say my husband.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, Okay, Perry, I'm going to pass this one to you as someone who has been through these this testing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so for those of you who haven't gone through all the episodes. I have sleep apnia, use a seapap and that is something an intervention actually that has made I think my life a little better. I do think I have more energy using seapap. But more importantly, my wife still sleeps in the same bed with me, which is nice because snoring is the primary symptom of obstructive sleep apnia. Virtually everyone with obstructive sleep apnia is going to snore. Not everyone who snores has obstructive sleep apnia. That's how to think about this. The diagnosis of OSA requires a sleep study, that's the standard. This can be done in a sleep clinic where you actually go somewhere and you're in a bed and they have all sorts of monitors on you. But actually they've gotten really good now about doing this in your own home using portable devices, and what they're measuring for obstructive sleep apneas not snoring, but what are called apneas, so the cessation of breathing and hypopnias, which are periods of low levels of breathing. So they're measuring how your chest is moving up and down and their criteria for how many of those and how long they last to make the diagnosis.
Speaker 2: Is there a way to tell if you are just a person who's a very loud snorer whether you are not breathing like based on the noise? Is there a noise diagnostic?
Speaker 1: I mean spouses, bed partners can usually tell the person who is awake listening to you snore, will hear periods of apnea and or can hear periods of apnea and get nervous about it. You would think that someone would invent an app if that records you're snoring or something it gives you you would a risk store and maybe one exists, but none, certainly none are FDA approved for diagnostic diagnostic purposes. Tamor, our producer, just came up with the idea that it should be called app nia, which is genius patent pending wellness. Actually that's ours now. It'll be on the app store next week.
Speaker 2: My last question on this, and I'm just going to say this is just a personal question, is what's the let's say your partner is allowed snore but doesn't have sleep apnea. What are some ways other than kicking to get them to stop snoring?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: I do? Yeah? So yes, Waking them up not ideal because it'll come right back. Sleep position is the main one. So snoring happens usually for most people and they're sleeping on their back. People will tend to roll back onto their back once they fall asleep, if that's their comfortable sleep position. I have had some patients who have sown a tennis ball into a pajama shirt so that if they lie on their back, it sort of digs into them princess in the pea style, So they have to turn over to your sort of retraining. There are oral appliances that advance the jaw a little bit. I actually used one of these before I got my CPAP machine, and that opens up the oral pharynx so that snoring doesn't happen. They can be kind of uncomfortable. It's uncomfortable for me, but their dentists who specialize in this. There are surgeries that can eliminate snoring, soft palette surgeries, and then for people with an elevated BMI weight losses, a primary method to reduce storing.
Speaker 2: So I'm hearing kicking.
Speaker 1: Or tennis ball in the back of the.
Speaker 2: Shkicking or tennis ball.
Speaker 1: Okay, both are fun.
Speaker 2: All right? That is it for us today. Stick with us next week when we'll ask what's the deal with the sun.
Speaker 4: On?
Speaker 1: What the hell is?
Speaker 2: We'll get into it anyway.
Speaker 1: Is it? Is it a god?
Speaker 2: Come back? Next week you'll find out. Wellness Actually is produced in association with iHeartMedia. Our senior producer is Tamar Avishaik. Our executive producer at iHeart is Jennifer Bassett. Our theme music is by Eric Deutsch, and our content is for educational purposes only.
Speaker 1: If you like the show, help other people find us, leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts or your podcatcher of choice, and help us spread the word about the show. You can follow us on Instagram at Wellness Actually pod and don't forget We want to hear from you. Head over to Wellness Actually dot fm and leave us a question for our mailbag, or suggest a topic for a future show.
Speaker 2: We'll let the influencers have the last word. I don't want to alarm anyone, but I think there's a hockey call in this story. Do we have a word, sense of well being and any Sorry my speech, You're right, give me noth