Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast, with Caroline Hide in New York and Ed Lovelow in Sent Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up.
Speaker 3: US auto safety regulators probe Tesla over issues with door handles on certain vehicles following a Bloomberg report.
Speaker 4: Plus, Google will invest close to seven billion dollars over two years in the UK to help build its AI economy, and.
Speaker 3: Service now expands its presence in Florida with a new regional hub. We speak with the CEO and with the developer of the.
Speaker 4: Site, but first we check out what's happening in the markets.
Speaker 5: We are so close to ten.
Speaker 4: Straight days of gains on the NASA one hundred. There's a blip. We pull just slightly into the negative territory. And then as that one hundred only slightly ed, what is it? Thirteen points? Much anxiety as we go into the federal reserve policy. The decision comes tomorrow, will we see a cut? But what about the future direction? As those retail sales look pretty buoyant, can they be as dubvish in the longer term? But Ed, you're looking at perhaps what moves the markets on.
Speaker 5: This exact day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go to our top story.
Speaker 3: US auto safety regulators opened up an investigation into whether some Tesla vehicle doors are defective. This comes days after a Bloomberg investigation uncovered a series of incidents in which people were injured or died after they were unable to open doors when Tesla's lost power, particularly after crashes. I would note the stock is higher in this Tuesday session, up almost two percent. Bloomberg's Global Auto's editor Craig Trudell joins us from London. Let's start with the investigation, which is a Nitzer investigation. Craig explain the parameters of what Nitza's looking at and the scope of what they're looking at.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's interesting, you know, the sort of headline information at the top of this document that it's an issue today refers to a pretty narrow, narrow set of vehicles. This is the twenty twenty one model Y. It's about one hundred and seventy thousand cars. But the issue here has the potential to be much broader because what NITSA is looking at is Tesla's approach to its door design and the fact that its doors are reliant on.
Speaker 2: Electrical power in order to work.
Speaker 6: That is something that applies to all Tesla's going back to the model S that's been in production since twenty twelve. So while Tesla is you know, on the surface, it looks like this is a single model, a single model year, this has the potential to be something much broader. You think back to, you know, a precedent of an autopilot investigation where they were narrowly looking at how that system handled you know, certain parameters like how they werenavigating emergency vehicles and you know, running into say, fire trucks or police cars. That didn't just stayed narrowly focused on that one issue. They had to recall autopilot.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: Overall, right, it affected their vehicles in a much broader way. It has there is some potential for the same to play out here with this model.
Speaker 2: Why why investigation.
Speaker 4: Craig China, top regulators there have been looking at these concealed handles before. Already Europe has been thinking a lot about accidents in such cases.
Speaker 5: Is it just a Tesler design?
Speaker 4: And more broadly, how are we thinking about the US tackling it versus other regions?
Speaker 6: I think it's interesting because this is a design that, for all of its potential flaws, at least to some degree, has been embraced and sort of copied by other manufacturers.
Speaker 2: And that's something that we included in our.
Speaker 6: Report last week that a lot of electric vehicle you know, rivals or would be rivals to Tesla that have come onto the market over the years have kind of embraced this you know, flush door handle design, essentially kind of innovating a door handle that maybe didn't need to be innovated, and that is something that will be you know, very interesting for us to watch here because we also included in last week's report mentioned of the fact that we've already seen recalls related to the safety of door handles in for instance, the Mustang Machie, the Ford SUV that is taking on the Model Y. So this has the potential to be not only a broader investigation for Tesla, but also something that knits A takes a closer look at across all manufacturers that have taken after Tesla from this design perspective.
Speaker 3: After NITSA confirmed its investigation this morning, Tesla has not responded to request a comment from Bloomberg, but We just showed Craig while you were speaking the comments of Tesla's board chair Robin Denholm, which will remember Karen and I are posed too after our original report has been in vers Cray Trudell out of London.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Going back to the UK, Google will invest five billion dollars that's six point five billion pounds storry, that's six point eight billion dollars over two years into the UK to help build an AI economy in the country. The tech giant disclosed the plan just as President Trump is set to announce billions of dollars of economic deals during his visit to the UK this week. He's expected to travel with several US tech leaders, including in Nvidio CEO Jensen Wang and open Ai CEO Sam Altman. Bloomberg's UK correspondent Lizzie Burden joins us and Lizzie give us the need to know on this alphabet deal and what else we're looking forward to.
Speaker 8: Well, as you both know, this alphabet deal is a drop in the ocean in terms of the capex of alphabets, but it's a big deal for the UK. It's something that's been long in the making. The UK tech Secretary is the former one. Peter Kyle is now the UK Business and Trade Secretary, perhaps as a sign of just how important tech is to the business landscape here in the UK.
Speaker 5: But as you say, it's part of a broader suite.
Speaker 8: Of economic deals that we're expecting the President to announce here on his visit to Britain. We're expecting ten billion pounds worth of deals to be announced, including a defense tech cooperation agreement, also partnership on nuclear also bringing together the economic hubs on both sides of the Atlantics. There's a lot of stake here for Keir Starmer. It's an unprecedented second state visit for Donald Trump here in Windsor this eleventh century castle behind me. But I have to say this is the worst possible timing for Keir Starmer. He's just lost his UK Ambassador to the US, Peter Mandelson, over his links to Jeffrey Epstein. Epstein of course links to the King himself via his brother Prince Andrew, and to Donald Trump. So there are going to be some very very awkward moments, not least at the press conference at the end of the trip. For the UK, the point will be to not look like we're appeasing the President, but also to make sure that something substantive comes out from this visit, because ultimately the UK is playing its age by deploying the King.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg's Lizzie Burden from Windsor Castle. We appreciated. Let's return to the tech deals that we're expecting to come out of that visit and the focus on AI with Leeds Hue, chief Investment Officer for Thematic Innovation Equities and Alliance Burnsteam and more.
Speaker 5: This fits into the whole.
Speaker 4: Array of conversation we keep having about the need for investment in air. We just think back to Oracle's numbers last week and how much they were showing that they've got this backlog building. We've got all the hyperscalers trying to build out, Alphabet's looking to build a data center in the UK. Are we seeing that continuing to go up into the right at the speed that we see at the moment, Well.
Speaker 9: I think all we're seeing is actually we're hitting an inflection point in inferencing. So you look, it's just broadly speaking, not just those big numbers that you quoted, but also if you look the AI trend and the adoption and where we're seeing the step function and numbers is broadening out, so it's a broader set of companies that are starting to benefit, whether it's the networking companies or we're seeing it in memory pricing, in storage, in hardware. So those are all signs that you know, in terms of the AI adoption, the inferencing at the edge, things are actually happening, and to me, this is a very positive sign. That means the real adoption which will drive continued build So we think about it tech innovation generally, we take step functions, right, We kind of chuck along and then all of a sudden there's an inflection point and things really start to take off. And I really think we are still in the early innings of that happening, and supported by all the evidence that we have seen at the micro level from the company as well as these mega trends that you're seeing at you know, the big macro level.
Speaker 4: The step function has already been shown in the valuations of companies. We just want to bring you some sound actually from a key investor who manages money for Peter til no Less. We've been talking about how we've been looking at maybe a bubble growing an ai.
Speaker 5: Just take a listen.
Speaker 10: The AI bubble is real, and I don't take enough people talk about it. And if you were able to be an early investor in open ai, then congratulations, that's a great place to be. If you're coming and investing at open ai at a five hundred million dollar valuation, I honestly.
Speaker 2: Don't know about that.
Speaker 10: So I think that is the more dominant topic that is going on, at least within Silicon Valley circles. It doesn't get talked about enough. And how it chicks out, it's going to be fascinating because if you got in early, fantastic. If you're getting in today, I'm not assured.
Speaker 4: Long time sort of managing director for the private wealth of Peter Teel, but also with AZVC founder Jack Selby, there are you worried about any exuberance already reflecting evaluations even though we are at this inflection point.
Speaker 9: I think that brings it interesting point. Valuation is important, and we always said valuation is important, but it's only related to interestal customer revisions. So not all companies are going to succeed. There will be a lot of company that simply put the name in their press release, and those are the ones that we say, oh, that's AI too. So it actually brings back to we have to do our due diligence. Some of them will succeed, many of them will fail. Even if you look back to the web one dot right, there were so thousands of companies, but really a few survived and those are the leaders today. And as we look forward, I would say AI is transformative. We are early and leadership is being redefined. And that's why all the companies are rushing out to spend because it's as defensive as it is offensive. But we will find new leaders but in the meantime we'll also have to be prudent. Not all of them are going to succeed. And in fact, when you redefine the future of leadership, when there's a paradigm change, some of the things that we use to think that work may not work. So what is perceived to be cheap could also be more expensive than you expect it. So again brings back to we've got to do our homework. It's easy to call everything a bubble, but underneath that, actually there are opportunities, but they are also you know, prudence is absolutely important.
Speaker 3: Lay the other counterpoint to a bubble argument is that different geographies are moving at different speeds. This week exemplifies that. Does it not that you see earlier announcements for a buildout of infrastructure in the United Kingdom given that we haven't seen the same level of activity in Western Europe the United Kingdom? Does the Lions burnsteam change its attitude towards British equities, UK equities, European equities in that AI infrastructure supply chain.
Speaker 9: I think AI is a global phenomenon, but it's more so just tech. Innovation has become a crucial element in national success. So it is something that we watch closely. And I think in terms of each country the adoption of AI, it reflects the readiness of the infrastructure, the readiness of the government, But oftentimes it ultimately comes down to a private public together initiative, and there will be opportunities. We've seen sovereign being a big driver for spend and I expect to see that continue going forward. And I also think each country will take a very different approach because the budget is different, the willingness is different.
Speaker 3: Lay very quickly, how close are you tracking private markets and private companies that are active here?
Speaker 9: It's very very important for us because a big part of the AI adoptions is happening in the private market.
Speaker 2: And now to.
Speaker 9: Mention, if you look at these hundreds of billions of dollars they need to be financed. A big part of the financing is being done on the private side, monitoring that trend very closely, both on the demand side and in terms of financing which support the supply side.
Speaker 3: Late of alien spurn seen. Great to have you back on the program, Thank you very much. Now coming up, the CEO of Service Now and developer Related Ross joins us to discuss efforts to turn West Palm Beach into an AI hub.
Speaker 2: Carry what are you looking at?
Speaker 4: I'm actually still looking at those valuations on the publicly traded side. Oracle, I mean key player when it comes to AI infrastructure cours up one and a half percent. This is on the back of its earnings last week, but also as the narrative around TikTok continues to unfold. Will they remain a key cloud provider, an infrastructure provider? Could they even take a necty stake for at one point se percent? This is Broomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: Service Now is expanding its presence in Florida with a new regional innovation hub, an AI Institute in West Palm Beach. The developer of the site is Related Ross, run by Stephen Ross. He's known for the Hudson Yards redevelopment project and of course ownership of the Miami Dolphins. Stephen Ross and Service Now CEO Bill McDermott join us now, gentlemen, Good morning. Thank you for joining us here on Bloombo Tech. Bill, it's great to have you back on. Start with the Service Now piece. You know, in this environment, Bill, where there's such a micro focus on the talent in AI and where companies are spending resources, why does this position Service Now better to have this footprint in Florida.
Speaker 11: Well, there's no artificial intelligence without human intelligence, said, and there's no leader that can develop a project and a dream are better than Stephen Ross. And you mentioned the Hudson Yards, but he also did the Time Warner Center. And we've been friends for a long time. And I always felt the trust was the ultimate human currency and it's still is. And I believed in his dream and what I see happening here is we're building an AI institute, and in this institute, we're going to have the most innovative engineers in the world. We're going to be able to prototype solutions for the public and private sector at record pace, and then we're going to move those solutions out into the market. We're also creating knowledge university, and we're going to put the flag right here in West Palm Beach to rise up three million people in our economy to the AI world so they can get the better paying jobs, the creative jobs where only humans can really excel. And I underscore we really believe it's all about putting AI to work for people, because we're a job creator and we believe that AI has to be in service to people, and right in West Palm Beach we're role modeling that.
Speaker 3: Mister Ross, you have a vision that West Palm Beach becomes an AI hub more than just service. Now, how difficult is it to vince the technology industry of your vision?
Speaker 2: And why West Palm Beach, Well.
Speaker 12: I mean West Palm Beach is really because of Florida being the great business state it is, and knowing that South Florida is different than the rest of Florida and it's really poised to growth and attract jobs. It's never done that before. It's always been second homes, you know, the second home to all South America, if you will. But right now, the resources of Florida, there's not a better business state. And when you look and see where people are going in the change that's occurring in this country, there's no place better positioned. So we had to really put it together to bring those things that Florida didn't have to attract business. And that's what we've been concentrating on. And fortunately now I mean Bill and his vision which is second to none. Really saw, at least in our opinion, and I'll take that most people's opinion, but saw the possibilities and how South Florida was really different than any other place in the country. There's not a better business state in Florida to start with. So we're very fortunate.
Speaker 4: Bill eight hundred and fifty jobs over the next five years, talking about one point eight billion dollars in economic impact. You're big on training and training people with service now.
Speaker 5: But will some of your employees move over? How much are they wanting to come to the Gold Coast?
Speaker 11: I would say we'll have a twenty percent of our workforce likely relocate. The demand to do that has been unbelievable. And I keep reminding people the office gets completed in twenty twenty seven, so just relax. But the demand is there. I think it'll be eighty percent net new job.
Speaker 2: So you look at.
Speaker 11: Florida, amazing universities across Florida, look at our veterans. We're going to cross train our veterans on our open AI opportunity and they're going to get excited and this is going to be a great place for them to grow and prosper people that want to switch jobs and go into this industry because it's flourishing. You know, the jobs are going to get created in tech companies like service Now, and we keep hiring, We're growing, we're hiring, we're prospering because the innovation is second to none. And you know something you know that's very well Carolina and ed. This platform connects to every cloud, it connects to every learning and every AI model, and it connects.
Speaker 2: To every data source.
Speaker 11: So this will be the AI platform for business transformation. And the opportunity has never been greater than it is right now. And I'm excited to do this with my great friend Steve and really really grow the company, especially in West Palm Beach for the great state of Florida, and I want to say Governor DeSantis, Mayor James Stephen Ross, all of us work very hard behind the scenes to make this moment a reality.
Speaker 4: Stephen, that reality is mixed use residential, retail, office properties in this particular focus.
Speaker 5: What about data centers?
Speaker 4: Are you thinking about the future of Florida there? I know very much West Palm Beach is a place to live and to thrive. But where will your opportunities go next when it comes to technology.
Speaker 12: Well, first of all, all we're just starting and really had to really develop the base for them to see the opportunities here. So we really concentrated on bringing great universities like Vanderbilt that are coming here with their business engineering, tech with schools, and then we had to bring in a hospital. We have Cleveland Clinic, and so we're bringing all those things that are necessary K through twelve education to attract companies. And that's what we've been concentrating on and working with the city and the county and the state that will really make this a place where companies really want to relocate because they can attract the best talent.
Speaker 3: Mister Ross, thank you for that Bill, I think a very reasonable question that your employees are going to have is whether the you yourself are going to make the move to Florida and other members of leadership will make the move if you believe so much in this vision of the future for West Palm Beach.
Speaker 11: Well, you have to remember we have a very large commitment to the state of California where we started the company in both San Diego and Santa Clara, California, which is where I'm based. But we will have executive leaders on the top management team that will be domicile here in West Palm Beach and will be part of this amazing revolution. And I will spend a lot of time the time, the discretionary time that I can here because I really want people to know we planted a flag today. This is a flag of opportunity, a flag of growth, and leadership starts at the top. And I've always believed that the true measure of a leader is not what you take from this world, is what you give it. And today's service now gave it a lot. We came in here and Kelly, who runs Palm Beach County Business Development, set on stage. This is the biggest corporate move into this area in Palm Beach County in the last thirty years. I'm super proud of that, and i want to make this a stunning success. So I'll be where I need to be, the leadership team will be where they need to be. But the main thing is to build a masterpiece of flywheel of growth and innovation.
Speaker 2: I've already received several techs.
Speaker 11: Today on this announcement from other tech companies and systems integrators that are like, Wow, what are you doing there?
Speaker 2: What's going on in West Palm.
Speaker 4: Bill, We'll see who comes on to say they're moving next. Bill McDermott, CEO of Service Now Stephen Ross, CEO related Ross.
Speaker 5: Great to have you both. It's time now for talking tech.
Speaker 4: First up, Amazon satellite internet venture project Kaiper, expected to offer service in five countries, including the US by early twenty twenty six. The names to compete with Musk Starlink, and has already reached an agreement to provide on board Wi Fi for Jet Blue plus Google Well it considered selling off parts of its ad tech business to resolve monopoly charges.
Speaker 5: It's going into a lawyer for the company now.
Speaker 4: The Justice Department, however, is seeking a full divestiture of Google Google's advertising exchange.
Speaker 5: Two sides meet in a hearing next week.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. I'm saying here, look at the chip sector. The Philadelphia Semiconductor Index or socks were mildly soft, down a few tens five percent, but early in the session we opened higher, and if we close in the green, that would put us on track for the ninth straight day of gains on the socks, which is the longest streak since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Stories there, I've put Micron in a video.
Speaker 3: Okay, video is down almost a percent in the moment, but year to date, big drivers have gained. Micron reports earning September twenty third in video. Under pressure right now, but recent momentum and the idea carr as you know, is that maybe in videos at the center of the discussions between the United States and China right now, will it come off on that phone call between the President and Jijing thing on Friday?
Speaker 2: That's the question the market's answer askame it is.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, the market's also looking at what President Trump is doing in terms of filing a fifteen billion dollar defamation lawsuit against the new York Times, that's greater in the newspaper's market cap A so you can currently see the President is accusing The Times of serving as a.
Speaker 5: Quote mouthpiece for the Democrats.
Speaker 4: The New York Times send in a statement that the lawsuit quote has no merit and is an attempt to stifle and discourage independent reporting. That's bringing lead focus for Bloomberg's media and entertainment coverage Chris pal Mary, Chris, when you're editing stories like this, when you're thinking about driving forward the news, we have the context that is this isn't the first time President Trump has sued a reporting network.
Speaker 13: Right, I mean, in terms of our work, I mean, we always try to be tough but fair to everybody. And so this has been a tactic Trump's used for years and until he became president. Really the second time he's not been successful ensuing the media, but more recently he has been getting settlements out of ABC and CBS, Facebook, And so he's tying this in a way to his power as president to say, get the FCC to approve Paramount's merger with guidance, which happened just a week or so after they settled the CBS suit with him so you know, he's using this.
Speaker 2: It scores with his base.
Speaker 13: If you see what his truth social posts have said. It's really about, hey, they're attacking me, your president, and it's a revenue generator for his Presidential Library foundation.
Speaker 2: And lastly, he.
Speaker 13: Hopes whether that's successful not not clear at all. Is stifling, as The New York Times said, trying to get reporters not to write nasty stories about him.
Speaker 3: Chris, what is it specifically that the president is claiming in this suit? We say it's a fifteen billion dollar lawsuit, But what is it that he is accusing the New York Times of You.
Speaker 13: Know, it's interesting compared to the ABC and CVS suits, which were really specific incidences, this is much broader. It's sort of just a whole agenda he argues against him and for Kamala Harris in the last election. You know much, you know, harder when there's no specific allegation of journalistic wrongdoing here.
Speaker 3: The New York Times said in a statement, the lawsuit has no merit and is an attempt to cipher and discourage independent reporting. Bloomberg's entertainment editor, Chris Palm Mary, thank you very much, President Trump says, he'll speak with Chinese leaders Jijingping on Friday, as US and Chinese officials reached a framework deal on keeping the TikTok app running in the United States.
Speaker 2: Listen to this.
Speaker 11: We have a deal on TikTok.
Speaker 7: I've reached a deal with China.
Speaker 14: I'm going to stick to.
Speaker 15: Presidency on Friday to confirm everything up.
Speaker 3: We made a very good, great deal, and I hope good for both cutches, but a very different deal.
Speaker 7: Made in the best.
Speaker 9: We'll be announcing that we have a group of very big companies.
Speaker 6: That want to buy it.
Speaker 3: That's the President speaking ahead of traveling to the United Kingdom in summary, saying a lot of big technology companies want to buy us TikTok and that there is a deal.
Speaker 2: We'll learn more later in the week.
Speaker 3: Sarahkrep's, director of the Tech Policy Institute at Cornell University, joins us now and Sarah, you know, newsflow is one thing, but it looks like we're proceeding to a situation where a coalition of American technology companies and others will be able to keep TikTok going in the United States. But there's a big phone call on Friday, and in your analysis, and expertise of the relationship between the United States and China and the tech domain. How central is the success of that phone call to this happening.
Speaker 16: I don't think that the phone call itself is going to be what this deal hinges on. My sense is that they've already established a framework through which which the US part of TikTok will divest from the Chinese parent company Byte Dance, and I think Friday's call is really just to seal that deal and make an announcement.
Speaker 3: We cover this based in the United States, right, and work for an American news organization, but we always come at this from the US point to the negotiating table. How do you evaluate how China feels about TikTok being able to get to continue in the US but some concessions being made that would impact China and byte.
Speaker 5: Dance, right, I think this is well.
Speaker 16: I think first and foremost they would be the Chinese have made it pretty clear they do not want to sell the algorithm, that they want to separate the platform from the algorithm, because it's the algorithm that is really the secret sauce here for the whole thing, and so trying to tease those two things out. The algorithm from TikTok Usa, I think is really important to them. But then there is a lot of issue linkage going on here. There are so many aspects. So TikTok I think is part of a broader set of discussions on trade between the US and China, and so I think this is really an important part of that, but emblematic of I think what it seems Trump is trying to do, which is harmonize a little bit that relationship between the US and China.
Speaker 4: In terms of data. How safe or at least from a national security perspective, how able is US data to be now protected in some way from flowover to China, as Congress hopes.
Speaker 16: Right, that was the important thing for Congress, which is well, there were two aspects for Congress, which was one was the algorithm, which was the ability to manipulate through the algorithm, But there was always the question of data. And even without the algorithm, the data is still very powerful. As you probably remember, Cambridge Analytica never touched Facebook's algorithm, but with the raw data that they had, they built profiles of individual users, tested messages, and then micro targeted them. And the TikTok data is even more revealing than that. So it just not just posts and likes, but watch times, rewatches, pauses, shares, all those signals are an exposure of attention span, emotional triggers, hidden interests.
Speaker 11: So the.
Speaker 16: You know whatever foreign entity would perhaps still have a backdoor to that data, and so far I haven't seen anything on the technical side about how the US what part of the deal would address that possible back door access to power the powerful data.
Speaker 4: Sarah, It's so interesting because all of this comes in the broader view of US China relations and you sit at that intersection technology, geopolitics, national security is TikTok the thing that we should be that worried about when we're also looking about AI relationships.
Speaker 16: Well, it's an interesting question because you know, and I've puzzled over why Congress, which passed this law and it was signed into law, has not really pushed back on these constant extensions, because if this was such a national security threat, you would think it was a threat a year ago, and the ninety day extensions are just kind of perpetuating that threat. And I think part of the implicit realization is that we've you know, even if you address TikTok is really the tip of the iceberg, and all these other national security tech issues, including the AI question, which I think is just in some ways looms even larger.
Speaker 4: Sarah Creps of Cornell University come back to talk about the AI looming still coming up.
Speaker 5: Jack Ma returns to add to Baba with some conventions. I'm going to discuss that next. This is a blue bag tech.
Speaker 4: Jack Ma is back after banishing from public eye at the outset of an anti trust investgation in late twenty twenty. Sources say China's most recognizable entrepreneur is back on Ali Baba's campuses, and he's more directly involved than he's been in half a decade.
Speaker 5: Bromberg's Global Tech editor.
Speaker 4: Peter Elstrom joins us, Now, how is his hand being felt?
Speaker 15: Yeah, so Jack is back on the Ali Baba campuses. We've spoken with people who have seen him on the campus. He's wearing his badge around. He's more actively involved in the operations of the company than he has been really since twenty nineteen when he stepped down as chairman. In particular, he's been quite involved in AI, their AI initiatives, which are going quite well at Ali Baba, and he's been very involved in this e commerce fight that the company has been having with JD dot Com and Mayitwan, the biggest delivery company there. Jack is used to the days when Ali Baba commanded the tech landscape within China, when they had something like eighty five percent of the e commerce market, and now the competition is much more severe. So in this latest clash where these companies are really fighting with each other over fast deliveries, deliveries within an hour, he's been encouraging them to spend lots of money fifty billion New Want or about seven billion dollars on these fast delivery competitions. So he's there, he's involved in strategy, he's taking part in these discussions, and he's quite active, and he's an inspiration for employee.
Speaker 2: He's on campus.
Speaker 3: That was part of the reporting that I found most interesting. Sources basically telling us that Jack is back, but other officials at the company are trying to explain to him that it's not the Ali Barba that he knew from a market competitiveness standpoint. Do we know anything about how Jack Mars reacted to that, you know, the new realities that he finds himself in.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 15: He certainly is used to the days when Ali Baba was the biggest, most valuable tech company within China, and now the landscape has changed quite a bit. Even in e commerce, they face very very serious competition and food delivery May Twine is much bigger than they are now ten Cent is much more valuable than they are. Ali Baba's stock has come back quite a bit this year. It's up about eighty percent, but it's still far far below its peak back in twenty twenty. It's down more than fifty percent from that level, and for good reason. The company ran into a bunch of regulatory problems. Jack Moss spoke out against the regulators at the time. That was part of the reason that the company ran into trouble. They were planning on taking their finance affiliate and group public at that point, and they had to pull that IPO. It still isn't public even at this point. But now he's sort of come back. He's revived his reputation and met with Shi Jimping earlier this year, So now he's given more freedom and he's participating in campus and he's more than just another executive at the company. He really is an inspiration for a lot of the employees. Many of these employees never worked with him, and they've been there a short enough period of time that they haven't really seen what he's been able to do, and they're looking forward to him coming back. But as you say, the business is very different. AI is much more important. E commerce is very much a different game. They're participating in cloud computing, so there's a lot that he has to learn too.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Peter Elstrom on a really important piece of Bloomberg reporting about Ali Baba, Thank you Now. AI is coming for the Owl due lingo is facing risks from multiple angles. Is investors reassess the impact of AI on the language learning platform. One of them AI powered live translation services. Bloomberg's Tech equity reporter for Ian Vaselka has the reporting, this takes me back to Apple iPhone day in the market move when Airport's pro had simultaneous translation.
Speaker 2: You've looked at the stock, what's going on? Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 13: So we've seen a number of AI companies and services come out with live translation features, which is seen as a kind of competition for dual lingo. Are people going to be paying to keep learning languages. When you can have AI automatically translate everything for you right away, that's a big concern. Now the company has its own AI first strategy, but this is an example where we have seen a real consumer backlash against this. Now the company says it's not impacting their financials yet, but we've seen some analysts come out and talk about how this sort of consumer aversion to AI could ultimately lead to weaker user growth or other kinds of financial churn. So this is a company that is getting it kind of on both sides, both a backlash and competition from AI.
Speaker 4: In our household, it's all about chess, bloemegs round Ustelica, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Indeed, YouTube's Made on YouTube event is Underwear in New York, with the.
Speaker 4: Company unveiling new tools, of course, including plenty of aipowd ones to help video creators. We've got one of them, one of the most successful ones, Mark Rover, former NASA engineer turned hugely popular YouTuber. And you are one of the key creators at the event. You are in an Apple product design as well. But you flipped your attention back in twenty eleven to basically virality on YouTube and education around science in particular, how much are you adopting the AI tools, how much your team adopting it and making your life a lot easier.
Speaker 14: We've definitely got our pulse on it. We're using it a lot for like ideation and like thumbnails. I'd say is like the main like ide eating what thumbnails are. But it's like, it will be really interesting to see how consumers feel about this, right because some people do feel like it's taking you know, the creator out of the loop. But I think YouTube has been very clear today they want to creator in the loop is what matter. They don't want aislop either, So it kind of remains if you've seen how the consumer feels out about it.
Speaker 4: Interesting because for you, it's maybe about ab testing titles basically, maybe there's dubbing that really helps the reach when you go more global mark But when you think of VO three and the use just not even of view as a person, what do you want to put in place by YouTube to ensure that slop isn't created?
Speaker 7: I think I just trust that they're going to do this responsibly.
Speaker 14: But even for me, like there's an opportunity here, right, Like I want to get people stoked about science and education, and there's only you know, twenty four hours in a day, so even for me, there's you know, there's an opportunity for me to scale myself and to you know, teach more topics deeper.
Speaker 7: So you know, we're keeping a pulse on it.
Speaker 14: I think YouTube will do a very good job of making sure it's it's high quality and it's additive and your feed isn't just filled with slot. That's terrible business for them, right, They don't want that to happen. People would stop using the platform.
Speaker 9: Mark.
Speaker 3: I spent a bit of time watching the Team Water video that you did the collab we missed the Beast right, and you know, hearing from some of the execs at today's event, there's lots of awesome AI stuff with VO three, but you describe how you'd use it. The Team Water projects like real video. Does it result the AI tool in just less real material circulating on the platform?
Speaker 14: I think it depends on the type of content, right, for like just telling stories and like fiction. You know, I think you're gonna see a lot more AI adoption and people being okay with that. You know, at the end of the day, if you know, mister bist and I we go to Kenya to visit a village. If that's AI, like, I got to imagine people aren't going to love that, right, So there's definitely going to be a spot for like real content that is actual connecting with real humans, right. And then there's a spot where I think it's going to really help with storytelling, and so I think I think we'll see how that kind of settled out settles out over time.
Speaker 3: Mark, what are the main challenges that you face on YouTube that were not addressed by by these great generative AI tools that will put out today?
Speaker 14: I mean, for the challenges that I face, I feel like it's actually they've given me more tools than I would even use out of the gate, right, So I think they're doing a good job of getting out in front of it and giving creators the tools.
Speaker 7: And that's what YouTube.
Speaker 14: Does, right, That's kind of their advantage over like a Netflix. They don't have to pick the winners. They make the tools, they create the platform and lo and behold over time, the winners, you know, emerge, and then that's.
Speaker 7: Who YouTube pays right through addsets and stuff.
Speaker 14: So I think they're just following the same playbook that they've done so far that's made them so successful. Create the tools, create the platform. The end of the day, it's all about the creators.
Speaker 5: And it's about authentic creators.
Speaker 4: And that's what helped, for example, crunch Labs with the success of getting real products into real people's hands because people trust you and therefore you can help sell products.
Speaker 5: You can do the stem toys, you can think.
Speaker 4: Not only about viral videos, but about curriculum, about content, about media projects that you're thinking mark will in the end, authenticity be the thing that lends you even more success versus the sudden wall of creation that we're going to see that isn't real.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, especially on YouTube, historically, authenticity is the currency. And that's kind of like what's helped me in by background at NASA and Apple. I'm an actual mechanical engineer. And you know, if a TV show like Discovery Channel puts a TV show on YouTube, it doesn't do very well because people want that authentic connection. So I think there's probably going to be ways though, to even using AI create that connection with your audience that feels authentic and it all remained. You know, we're going to see how that kind of pans out. But the tool is just so powerful. You can do so much with it. You know, clearly there's going to be some fairly seismic shift. The key is kind of observing it and kind of staying out in front, using it as a tool to further authentically, you know, connect with your audience.
Speaker 4: Marve your story is so fascinating. The fact that, yeah, you've done all this philanthropic work of late and we saw that with mister Beeste, But the fact that you were an.
Speaker 5: Assa engineer, the fact that you were working at Apple.
Speaker 4: I mean we're all talking about generals to AI and Apple being behind the curve. What do your products you want from them?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I would want an iPhone that you know, actually Siri that can actually answer a question or dictate.
Speaker 7: Well, you know that Google.
Speaker 14: It's really funny actually, you know it used to be the Apple events are exciting. Google's were kind of boring with like hardware and phones, and now it's sort of switch where it's like, oh, what's Google doing, because you know they are, you know, head of the curve at least with AI and Gemini versus Apple got some catching up to do. So regardless, it's a very exciting time to be alive, right, you know, I think the way we can definitely agree is that things will be changing a lot in the next three, five, ten years and we just get to you know, sit by an a watch. But there's others of us, you know, myself, even you know you guys included. We get to be part of like shaping what it will be and how it will turn out.
Speaker 2: Market.
Speaker 3: It looks like TikTok in the United States will be able to continue. We'll find out more this week. You know, in your career as a content creator focus on YouTube. How do you view that? You know, your industry faces choice right on the platforms that they can go to.
Speaker 7: I think it's great. I think competition's great.
Speaker 14: Honestly, I will say most creators, if you actually ask them, want to move to YouTube, Like if you're big on TikTok, if you're big on Instagram, like, they want to shift to YouTube because they watch out for creators most they pay the most. I'm not getting paid to say that. I'm just one of them, and I see this right, So and generally, you know, when TikTok had their short form now YouTube as YouTube shorts. So generally, if there's a type of content that really becomes sticky, right. You know, YouTube adapts, and you know this AI is a great example of this, Right. I think they're staying ahead of the curve and skating to where the puck is and saying like, hey, we need to make these tools available so that we don't become obsolete, which, honestly, you know, YouTube is where I have seventy one million subscribers.
Speaker 7: So I'm really glad that they are having that kind.
Speaker 14: Of attitude so that it doesn't become a tool or in a platform that people don't want to use.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Mark Rover, YouTube Create, a founder of crunch Labs. Really great to have you here on Bloomberg Tech. Thank you very much. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech CARC.
Speaker 4: Do not forget to check out some of our other areas on digital podcasts, for example, you can find it on the terminal as well as online on Apples, Spotify, and.
Speaker 5: iHeart from New York from San Francisco. This is bet back Tack.
Speaker 11: Yeah,