Speaker 1: Thirteen Days of Halloween tennance, a co production of iHeart three D Audio Blumhouse Television and Grim and Mild from Aaron Mankey Headphones Recommended. Listener discretion advised.
Speaker 2: Look go with me. I can walk myself.
Speaker 3: Stop struggling.
Speaker 2: Where are you taking me? This is the dungeon, isn't it. It is a legit fucking dungeon. You're not putting me in there.
Speaker 4: You are not throwing me in some random room. Oh fuck you, Williams.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, get back here. Can you at least turn on some lights?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, this is a trick, like a psychological torture or something. They're not gonna leave me here. It's obviously some Geneva convention violation.
Speaker 3: Let me out.
Speaker 5: Oh maybe I could get my hand through this slot.
Speaker 2: On the door if it wasn't sealed shut. Come on, you can't leave me here. This is in humane.
Speaker 4: I swear I won't do anything else. Please, Okay, fine, I'm sorry, seriously, I'll never do it again, and I'll do whatever you asked.
Speaker 2: Me to do.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, They're just gonna leave me here. They're just gonna leave me here, and I'm gonna lose my fucking mind, dirt floor, stone walls, the Oh my god, is that mold? Oh not even a fucking mattress.
Speaker 2: It's like a morgue slab. Please, I don't belong here.
Speaker 3: No one's listening.
Speaker 2: Huh who said that? Hello? And now I'm hearing things?
Speaker 6: Food?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 3: Food?
Speaker 2: Can you? Can you turn on the lights at least? I can't see anything in here.
Speaker 5: And the tray just goes right on the floor.
Speaker 2: Gross, smells horrible, damn it.
Speaker 4: M try Hey, hey, I swear to God, I'll never try to escape again.
Speaker 2: Just please, don't don't keep me in here.
Speaker 4: Just say something, Please, just say anything, Please.
Speaker 2: Try, no, please come on? Try fine? You want the tray? Take it?
Speaker 6: Food?
Speaker 2: Oh god, more of this, you know what?
Speaker 3: I take it all back.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get out of here, and I'm gonna find you and I'm gonna kill you. How about that? Huh?
Speaker 3: You should probably eat. They're only going to feed you once a day.
Speaker 2: Hey, I hear you. Where are you? Are you real? Hello?
Speaker 3: But they're listening. Now if you want to talk, get closer to the wall.
Speaker 2: How about now that's better?
Speaker 3: Where are we You're in solitary? You can yell all you want, but they won't respond.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I figured that out. So there's really no way out of here.
Speaker 3: Just the door. When the slot opens, slide that tray out and they'll put more food on it. If you wait too long, you won't get another chance for a whole day.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I want another chance.
Speaker 3: Tell me, is your tray made of metal?
Speaker 2: What your food tray? Is it metal? Yeah? It is?
Speaker 3: How fascinatingly careless?
Speaker 2: Did you try to escape too?
Speaker 3: I'm not here because I'm being punished.
Speaker 2: Okay, so why are you here?
Speaker 3: Do you believe that there are worlds between worlds?
Speaker 2: Worlds between worlds?
Speaker 3: If you really want to know the story may take time.
Speaker 2: Seems like we got plenty of it.
Speaker 7: Hm.
Speaker 3: It really all started as a game. I was in school, and you know, kids being kids. I just wanted to fit in.
Speaker 6: Five times in a row.
Speaker 2: Ready, monic, monic, monic, monic.
Speaker 3: Chicken shit.
Speaker 2: Whatever you do it, then I don't have to do anything. You're the chicken shit, chicken shit. No, you're the chicken shit whatever.
Speaker 7: Give me the money you made a bet.
Speaker 2: I'm not giving you anything. Almost you try it. Screw you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know what compelled me to do it. Maybe I just wanted to show up, make them like me. Manach, Monach, monoc Oh.
Speaker 6: Shit, Monach, tan't me.
Speaker 2: I was gonna do it, Monoch. See, you shouldn't have been such a little.
Speaker 3: And they were gone.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, uhhh hmm. It was terrifying.
Speaker 3: I don't really know if I even processed what happened at the time.
Speaker 4: So so you're saying all of your friends vanished because you played Bloody Mary.
Speaker 3: No, not bloody Mary, something much better.
Speaker 2: Then where did they all go?
Speaker 3: I don't know. No one did. Eventually they stopped looking, but I didn't forget.
Speaker 2: And that's why you're here.
Speaker 3: Sort of.
Speaker 2: You tried it again, didn't you?
Speaker 3: Not until years later?
Speaker 2: You are such a freak.
Speaker 3: I probably should have just let it go. I know you hear me, weirdo, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants you here. You make everyone uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Do you understand that she'd done this every single day for weeks?
Speaker 1: And what's the deal with your weird fucking sister.
Speaker 3: I guess I was just done.
Speaker 1: It is your entire family a bunch of freaks.
Speaker 3: I'd said it before I even realized I was speaking. Monoc monac. What the fuck are you even saying? Mana, Mana, Oh my god, why don't you just save us all the trouble? And mana, it was just like before suddenly she was gone, so was everyone else?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I should sleep now?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, hey, so when did these weird lights turn off?
Speaker 2: Lights? Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was like it was like really dark when I got here. And now there's this weird blue light. I noticed it when I woke up.
Speaker 2: Your eyes have adjusted.
Speaker 3: It's the mold on the walls.
Speaker 2: Oh yuck. It's not radioactive, is it?
Speaker 3: Good night?
Speaker 5: Good night?
Speaker 2: Try now go.
Speaker 3: Foams. You'll start to feel when it's coming.
Speaker 5: Like a circadian rhythm type of thing.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 5: I guess it's good to have something to keep track of the time.
Speaker 3: You know, I could get us both out of here.
Speaker 4: How are you gonna spirit me away with your boogeyman?
Speaker 3: The floor?
Speaker 2: The floor is completely solid, it's earth. So what we tunnel out?
Speaker 3: Just listen? Gather up some sand and try to pick out any big pieces.
Speaker 2: Just sand? Okay, okay, sand? Sure, now what put it on the tray? Okay?
Speaker 3: Now you need some water from the sink.
Speaker 6: Try food?
Speaker 2: Do we always get the same thing hmmm, I think so it's so mushy. I don't think I readstalled the standoff.
Speaker 4: So this game that you play, Mana, do you mean yeah that if you knew what was going to happen, why did you do it?
Speaker 3: At some point? I guess it became about something else.
Speaker 6: You're not going to want breakfast or anything?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 7: Well I'm going to take a shower, just like, take your time.
Speaker 3: But also don't you really can't stick.
Speaker 2: Around, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Okay? Good?
Speaker 1: Right, we both understand what this was.
Speaker 3: There was something so disgusting about him. I could smell him on my skin. People can be so cruel. When I walked in and saw myself in the mirror, I think I was crying. Hey, you're not about to take a piss while I'm in here, are you?
Speaker 6: There's a bathroom in the lobby you can use, you know, on the way out?
Speaker 3: Monarch, Hello, Monoch, are you saying something to me? Monoch? Mona? So survival he had hurt my sister.
Speaker 2: What happened? She was a lot more trusting.
Speaker 5: And fragile, and so he disappeared too. You're doing what I asked, Rubbin Mud on the tray good.
Speaker 3: Just keep going until you can't anymore, and start again tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Why am I doing this because.
Speaker 3: My tray is wooden?
Speaker 6: Try food?
Speaker 2: God, really is the same thing every day. How long have you been down here?
Speaker 3: This time a few months? I think it's hard to tell.
Speaker 2: And this isn't punishment for you.
Speaker 3: I suppose it is in a way, but that's not the intent. I am contained.
Speaker 5: Right contained. I don't think I can do this today.
Speaker 3: It's difficult to be down here. I know.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you've done it for so long.
Speaker 3: But it's nice to have someone to talk to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, you know.
Speaker 3: I never believed in an afterlife until I started killing people. You asked me if I only did it for survival. I wasn't being completely truthful. I knew that it needed to be satisfied. Whatever it was it was speaking to me.
Speaker 2: Listen to me, old man.
Speaker 1: If we goddamn there, you come in here and ask for the same shit.
Speaker 3: We don't have the newspaper, Okay, we are never gonna have the newspaper again.
Speaker 1: Okay, no one buys it.
Speaker 2: I buy it.
Speaker 3: There's no more newspaper. I don't know what to tell you. Can you just pay for your coffee and leave already. Oh Jesus Christ, change, Really you fucking with me?
Speaker 2: Old man?
Speaker 3: I stood there at the door to the drink coolers, and I was there behind my reflection.
Speaker 1: Can you please just find another place to get coffee? Please just take it? Okay, just take the coffee, Jesus Christ. Every day with a slow shit.
Speaker 3: Sometimes the world is just better off without certain people in it. Plus it was hungry Monoch, stupid old man Monoch mose people who reads the fucking moves people?
Speaker 6: Monoch Monoch.
Speaker 3: I guess you can figure out the next part. But there was something different this time.
Speaker 2: I felt loved, loved by who Monoch.
Speaker 3: It needed me in a way that nothing had ever needed me. With my sister I could never do enough. But with Mana I felt warm and cared about whatever Monoch was. We were connected. I could feel its joy and its satisfaction. It was sated, and it loved me for it. Do you know what it is to be loved?
Speaker 4: I'm I'm not sure. Actually, I hope that one day you will, so wait. Didn't anyone think that it was strange that the people near you were disappearing?
Speaker 3: Hm? Well, eventually I guess they did. They got greedy, greedy in your life. I bet there are people who've hurt you, hurt people you care about, people you watch do horrible things with impunity. You can think of a few people like that, can't you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I can? Actually, I absolutely can.
Speaker 3: And what if they could just vanish, nothing left to find, gone forever, nothing to point back to you, just new life looking forward without them in it. What is that worth to you?
Speaker 4: Huh? Maybe everything that's right and people paid. I made the problems go away Monarch eight. And more than money, my reward was endless, warm love, pure and beautiful love. We had each other.
Speaker 3: It needed me as much as I needed it.
Speaker 2: My wrist hurts.
Speaker 3: That's okay, maybe it's time to rest for a bit.
Speaker 2: You still haven't really said why you're here.
Speaker 3: Because I let them use me, use you as a weapon, and you can assure if there won't be a trace left, right? That's correct? Okay, Okay?
Speaker 2: Aren't you curious what he did?
Speaker 3: No, they promised me that my sister and her family would be given safe harbor and escort at home.
Speaker 5: Home from where I'd rather not say.
Speaker 3: It doesn't really matter anyway, because they lied to me. It's always struck me how rich men love to lie now they love to meet in fancy hotels.
Speaker 7: The board is going to eat me alive. You know that, the shareholders too. I just need that one little weasel to get in line.
Speaker 3: I understand, Elsie.
Speaker 7: You know I tried to explain things, get him to change his mind. If he goes to the press, We're done.
Speaker 2: I'm done.
Speaker 7: This is a lot of money.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I find so interesting?
Speaker 2: What all of this money and all.
Speaker 3: Of this blood to build a legacy, and I can get down with just a whisper.
Speaker 7: That's quite a talent.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Too bad through the pockets now, daging strop it on time, And that is.
Speaker 3: How I got here.
Speaker 2: How long ago was this?
Speaker 3: M I forget how many years years?
Speaker 2: You've been down here for years? I thought you said months.
Speaker 3: They let me out sometimes when they need things done, and exchange my sisters to stay safe.
Speaker 2: But I miss her need things done like people.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's been so long, I don't really remember the last time. Monarch is so hungry.
Speaker 2: How often do they let you out?
Speaker 3: Not enough?
Speaker 2: Not anymore.
Speaker 3: I can no longer feel it's love where it's warm, I feel cold and empty, and I know it's there, abandoned and hungry. It hurts.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Tell me what does the tray look like now where you've been rubbing it.
Speaker 2: It's hard to tell in this light.
Speaker 3: Try to get it really close to the mold. I think it feeds off body heat.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go. It looks like it's getting brighter.
Speaker 3: Can you see yourself? Yes?
Speaker 2: Perfect?
Speaker 4: Holy shit, you're gonna do the thing, aren't you?
Speaker 2: Tomorrow? This is so fucking crazy. I'm not ready to die though. Okay, I'm really not ready to die.
Speaker 3: Do you understand what to do?
Speaker 2: When the slot opens? Just shove it out like normal and then just close your eyes tight.
Speaker 5: Okay, swear this isn't gonna kill me too.
Speaker 3: You'll be on the other side of the door. It won't see your reflection. Just be ready.
Speaker 2: Try tray. It is.
Speaker 3: Monoch monoch, monoch, monoch, monoch.
Speaker 2: Monic.
Speaker 3: It's okay. I didn't let it take you.
Speaker 2: Wear them.
Speaker 3: Just breathe your back.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I want to thank you for helping me, and I want to give you something, But what happened to this? Listen?
Speaker 2: I'll let you.
Speaker 3: Feed him, but you can only do it once, feed him only once. Remember that.
Speaker 2: But I don't have to go now.
Speaker 1: Wait, her eyes are open, She's still alive. We need to get her up to medicals now.
Speaker 7: Breach protocols elevated level six men, you understand level.
Speaker 1: Get her on her feet.
Speaker 3: Stop what Queery?
Speaker 7: The other one?
Speaker 1: I don't know, how did you survive this?
Speaker 7: Obviously she was allowed to man, what is she saying?
Speaker 3: What luck?
Speaker 7: That's what I think it is?
Speaker 6: Then allow me? Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Days of Halloween Pennance starring Natalie Morales, Episode three, Confinement, written by Matthew Riddle, editing and sound designed by Noemi Griffin. Featuring the voices of Aaron Aster, Laura Shin, Rachel Rosenbloom, Steve B. Green, Joseph Whipp, Chris Jy, Alex Alex Bowling, Rafael Corkil, Jay Jones, and Noah Feinberg. Directed by Alexander Williams. Executive producers Aaron Mankey, Noah Feinberg, Chris Dicky, Matt Frederick and Alexander Williams. Supervising producers Trevor Young and Josh Thain. Producers Jesse funk rima Ilkali, Noemi Griffin, Chandler Mays and Casby Bias. Script editing by Lauren Vogelbaum, story consultants Ben Bolan and Matthew Riddle, Casting by Sunday Bowling CSA and Meg Mormon CSA. Production coordinator Wayna Calderon. Production assistants Jenna Johnson and Winona Lowe. Theme music by Rose a Z with vocals by Anna Hummler, recorded at This Is Sound Design Studios in Burbank, California. Engineered by Ross aeronaut special thanks to Romelia Osorio, Nathan Rule, Glen Nishida, and Rob Mosca. Thirteen Days of Halloween was created by Matt Frederick and Alexander Williams and is a production of iHeart Podcasts, Blumhouse Television, and Grimm and Mild from Aaron Makey. Learn more about the show at Grimandmild dot com slash thirteen Days and find more podcasts from iHeartRadio by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Happy Halloween,