Speaker 1: Hey fam, Hello Sunshine. Today on the bright Side, we're popping off auditioning on the biggest pop culture stories and trends of the week. Well, love cost a thing for j Lo now that she's filed for divorce. Uh oh, is it ever okay to pay your way out of attending your kids' school's PTA meetings? And what are the rules for hooking up with your friends friends? It's Friday, August twenty third. I'm Danielle Robe.
Speaker 2: I'm Simone Boyce, and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share women's stories, laugh, learn and brighten your day.
Speaker 1: Speaking of stories, Simone, what an array of stories we had on the show this week. We had Emmy nominated actor and world champion boxer Kaylee Reese. I loved her. And then we had the trailblazing restauranteur Ozma Kahn. I'm trying not to use the word favorite in life because I think there's something more descriptive than favorite or best. It was one of my favorite conversations. She was so moving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like we need to book a bright Side trip to London to eat at her all woman run restaurant. Our dealing express we have to, we have to, And I also can't stop thinking about what gastroentrologist doctor Chuckkins said about the effects of antibiotics on our gut health. And now I cannot wait to pop off on this week's biggest moments in pop culture.
Speaker 1: We're almost there, but before we go there, it's time to spotlight our favorite moment of the week, brought to you by our friends at BMW.
Speaker 2: So today we're spotlighting Sister Jean, a nun an NCAA superfan who's turning one hundred and five.
Speaker 3: Y'all.
Speaker 2: Sister Jean first took the Internet by storm in twenty eighteen during the Classic Basketball Tournament, where at ninety eight years young, she showed us that she is the ultimate Loyola Ramblers superfan, and since then she's become a bit of an icon good luck charm for the Chicago team by praying with them before their games.
Speaker 1: Simone I used to interview when I did the morning show in Chicago. She is unbelievable. She's such an icon in the city and she was born on August twenty first, nineteen nineteen. Fast forward one hundred and three years later, she released a memoir called wake Up with Purpose What I learned in my first one hundred years. And she told People Magazine on our hundred and third birthday that her secret to a long life is sleeping. Well, I know you love that. The woman after my own heart. She has dedicated her life not just to sleeping, but really to service and community. So Sister Jean, we're wishing you a very happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's time to bring in today's guest, the amazing co host of the Go Touch Grass podcast, comedians and writers Millie Tomates and Elise Morales.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the bright Side, y'all.
Speaker 3: So excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome. You know, we've been using the phrase touch grass on our podcast since the very beginning, so much so that people say it to us now, and that is the name of your pod. So what does it mean to you? Why do you guys start using that phrase?
Speaker 5: Well, I think the thought process behind our podcast is million and I. We've worked together for a long time where old paths just in the comedy scene, and we wanted to create a podcast around internet culture because we knew that we're two online that we're always talking about every little drama and trending topic. So the idea behind the podcast is that we will look into all of these things for you, We will explain them, and that will give you more time to go touch grasses.
Speaker 3: We're facilitating the touching of grass for you.
Speaker 6: Yes, we're doing this selfless, like really important work. Again, you know, there are so many conversations that happen online that intersect with you know, races and misogyny, all these conversations that are happening, all these discourses, Like we say, but you know, to start, you have to know who this YouTuber is and this and that and whatever. So again, we want people to be able to jump in, listen to our podcast and not know anything that's going on online and walk away being able to be like, I know why somebody gave fifty thousand dollars in a shoe box, or I know why they say Naris Smith is stealing her content. That's the kind of stuff that we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before we go in, we have to talk about the real history of touch grass. In case anybody doesn't know, this is the Mirriam Webster dictionary that I might absolutely tell me if you'd like to add anything to it. Okay, relax, get offline, reconnect with nature. It's not that serious.
Speaker 6: Yes, exactly if somebody's like too logged in and they're too online, especially because social media has been made to make us angry at each other, so it's like zoom out, Yeah, zoom out, go touch grass, log off.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we're on the same page.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I would say that the overarching definition is it's something you say to someone when you think you need to step away from the computer, You need to put down the phone, and you need to go outside and maybe say hi to your neighbor, engage with the real world outside of the internet space.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love it. Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Well, you two are in the business of saving us time and brain space, and we appreciate you for that. We got to talk about a topic that has left a lot of people bewildered, confused, and perhaps even a little bit annoyed, and that is the word demure. I think a lot of people are fed up. They're like, I don't want to hear this word anymore. Do we think that the demure trend is over?
Speaker 1: I thought it was over before it started. I never liked this one. I was not into demure you know, I.
Speaker 6: Think that the reason why you hit Mina least talked about in our latest episode, it's because it's a little bit of shade, it's a little bit of read, it's a little ironic. It's the vessel that it's coming out of. So I feel like it's one of those things that is probably like in the lexicon, like fleek or bay or something where people are just like and people are saying it, you know, like see how I don't get up in the plane as soon as it lands Vary demure like. I don't think it's really people celebrating their own modesty. It's just like kind of like a shade to I'm not like the other girls, which is funny. And I love Jules Lebron. I think that I'm so happy for her.
Speaker 2: She's the original creator. Yeah, yeah, yeah, original creators.
Speaker 5: I think that it's probably peaked in its usage because we've got into the place where now brands are being like Demure Demure, Gift Guide were Demure day Demure cocktails like we it's it's peaked and I wait to see what's next from Jules Lebron. And I do think that like the Jewles, Lebron specific videos about it. I think she's very, very funny and charismatic. I just feel like probably worrid Use is it's hit its peak, and now it will I think it will exist around though, like Millie said, I think it's now kind of in the lexicon, but it's not going to be the same level of like so many posts about demure all the time, all the time, all the time.
Speaker 2: Once the brands get a hold of it, it's it's a problem. They ruin it. But I think, yeah, being the opposite of demure, being like ostentatious, being a little flashy. That's part of the fun of being young. Okay, Millennials, we were never demure growing up. If you could see the platform heals that I wore to the club, like, oh, there was nothing demure about that.
Speaker 4: So like let people live.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, Milly, we were watching your stand up comedy before we came on the air. You're cracking us up. Body positivity is a theme and a lot of your comedy material, and even you even found a way to incorporate the Renaissance Fair into that narrative. Please tell us more about that, because I am the first one at the Renaissance Fair in the springtime.
Speaker 6: You know, every time someone thinks about the Renaissance Fair, I just see like titties, like like just like the steps in a courset and all that stuff, and it's just like, you know, society kind of disregards fat women, and it's like it's not like it's like you're lesser than you know, the way that people treat women in general, and especially if you're a plus sized woman, you know, it's like you're not desired, you're not important. You're like discussing on to it's time for the Renaissance Fair, and then they want you to wear that. They want you to stuff your biggest titties in a court set and eat a turkey leg and all that, and it's like now you guys want to And it's just like I exist most you know, three hundred and sixty days a year.
Speaker 1: That stuff.
Speaker 4: That's my standard.
Speaker 5: The other five are the Renaissance Fair, are the Renaissance or someone else?
Speaker 4: And then I'm someone else exactly.
Speaker 6: So you know, I like to use comedy as a way to examine how we treat people and know and things that I don't like and it's like, okay, you're treating me like shit. Now, but wait, do I wear a corset and then you're gonna talk to me? You want me to come and eat a turkey legs? Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Well I think that speaks to how attitudes around women's bodies have changed throughout history. I mean there was a time when fuller figured bodies that was it, like that was what you wanted. And and you know, society now unfortunately has been a lot more critical of women's bodies and a lot more critical of larger bodies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this was a conversation with me and at last we are having on the pot about Bridgerton because Penelope, you know, the girl that played Panelica and Nicola Coughlin, Yes, she got a lot of like, there's a lot of people. There's this one writer who is from the UK that was like, this is so unrealistic that the fact girl gets to Princid is like, first of all, she's hot, she's like not even technically a plus size, she's you know, standard size.
Speaker 4: And also that.
Speaker 6: Guy is a mid ap best and also yeah that it probably more accurate, like a fuller figured woman with nice skin and a nice face, thank you, like Nicety.
Speaker 5: Scrunched up in that little I just heard that in corsets, because it's like they have the.
Speaker 3: Little empire waste. You're all scrunched up in that little empire waste.
Speaker 6: Listen, Titty sitting high like the empire statement.
Speaker 4: So hot?
Speaker 1: Okay, so hard, guys. I feel like we already started popping off, but I feel like it's time to officially pop off. Are you ready? Can't wait? Okay, here's our first topic.
Speaker 6: We're ready, We're born popping off?
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: First up, it seems that a love story that we have all been following for over twenty years has finally come to an end, which means I've been following this love story for over half my life. This week, after months of speculation and media scrutiny, Jennifer Lopez filed for divorce from Ben Affleck. And what is unique about this is that Jennifer filed for divorce on her own, meaning she did not file with an attorney. And here's the biggest and there is no prenup.
Speaker 1: Oh it's so wild.
Speaker 5: This is this Ben's sign of prenup. Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I heard someone say this morning, uh my rich BFF Vivian two in a clip she said, uh, either you have a prenup or the government makes one for you. There's a prenup either way, because like either you're dividing your assets or they are. And it's like, how do you go into a marriage. As to celebrities, she's been she's married, she's been married so many times.
Speaker 3: She knows how this goes. Yes, yeah, that surprises me.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I feel like Ben is so I don't think Ben's going to be fighting for her or trying to take her shit. Like I don't know, Uh, Like I would like to think, like not that I'm team Ben, your team Jen. I'm just like, I don't think he's going to be doing that. I think that he's made it so clear that he doesn't want to be in a relationship with her and all this stuff.
Speaker 4: I feel like he's so checked out.
Speaker 6: He's not going to be fighting her for like.
Speaker 3: So do you think there you think he checked out?
Speaker 6: That's what the narrative is, right, is that he's like, oh, she pushed me to I couldn't deal with her celebrity blah blah blah blase blase, cry baby shit. So I'm thinking that he's not I don't think he's gonna fight her.
Speaker 1: She's the one who filed for doors. I think she checked out. I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's kind of okay, this is my and this is not confirmed. This is just the theory, okay, right, But it's like, I think men are obsessed with being the good guys quote unquote, but it's like maybe in all but like officially he's like, it's just like they make it so shitty that it's like so that you break up with them so that they can still be the good guys. Like, well, I didn't want this, and it's say, Okay, you're not really here, You're not really excited to be with me, You're kind of a downer all the time, You're blaming me for everything. And then finally when I like, clearly you want to break up with me, but you don't have the balls to do it, and then I have to be the one to do it, and then I'm the bitch.
Speaker 1: So I think it's important to note that she filed for divorce on the two year anniversary of their wedding in Georgia, on the exact day, and she's the way. I don't know if you guys watched the movie that she made, but Alice, this is an ode to you. There's a lot of astrology in the movie, and there is a lot of.
Speaker 3: Astrology in the movie. Jennifer is really into.
Speaker 1: Meaning and symbols and dates and full circle moments, and so I think that her filing for divorce on the anniversary of their wedding date was significant for her. You could have filed any day. You filed that day, just the way that he bought a new house on her birthday. Here's the thing that I'm waiting for.
Speaker 2: I am waiting for everyone to chime in and attack this woman for getting married and getting divorced so many times.
Speaker 1: That's already happened on TikTok.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. But we don't do the same thing to men.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at like Robert de Niro, for example, he has he has several different baby mamas. He's been married and divorced several times. We do not do the same thing to men.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 2: Think that actually, more than anything else, this is this is an indication of Jennifer Lopez exercising her freedom as a woman who has worked very hard in her career, who has a lot of money. She doesn't have to stay with someone that she doesn't want to be with.
Speaker 5: No, she certainly doesn't have to stay with someone she doesn't want to be with.
Speaker 3: And I don't care.
Speaker 5: I think people can get married and divorced as much as they want.
Speaker 3: I do think that she brought a.
Speaker 5: Little bit of this people, you know, people who are making fun.
Speaker 1: Of her online.
Speaker 5: I think she brought some of that to her doorstep when she did make the documentary and the kind of like music video film all about her, like all she's ever sought in her life is love, and then she found her ultimate love story with Ben and now they're.
Speaker 3: Like not long later.
Speaker 5: I do think you bring a little bit of people side eyeing you when that's part of the entire narrative. But I don't care that she's getting divorced or married or this or that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't think it's necessarily a moral failing, but it's you know, there's this conversation a lot with influencers, a lot with all kinds of people where it's like, how dare you not respect my private life? And it's like, babe, you market it off your private life like you want us to see it, you want us to consume. And then this is kind of like why people don't market, you know, and don't do that and don't.
Speaker 4: Make the things.
Speaker 6: And and there's a clear moment in the documentary where she's reading his love letters to her out loud in front of her staff, and you can tell that he's uncomfortable not to say that he's perfect, not to say that she's a monster, whatever.
Speaker 4: But it's just like.
Speaker 6: There was I could totally see that the vibe that she wants to be public and not and open, and that's her right as an artist. And also like, yeah, you should kind of know if you're gonna get with the musician or a poet or anything, they're gonna mind their life for art. But then I could see that there was a clear kind of disconnect with like him wanting more privacy and him not mining his life for art.
Speaker 2: There's one more thing that I have to add to this conversation, and I'm honestly giggling, like it's gonna be hard for me to get this out. Alex Rodriguez, Jennifer Lopez's ex, wrote a very cryptic demure message on his Instagram story. I'm gonna see if anybody else here can understand what this means, because I certainly don't. He said, you either go one way or the other, you might as well be the one deciding the direction, and then he signed it Alex Rodriguez. Okay, I feel like that's just like so vague, like what are we doing here, eh Ron?
Speaker 5: It's giving aim away message lee to me where it's like the person who needs to know who these lyrics are for will know, yes.
Speaker 3: Why I'm away right.
Speaker 6: So this is as a Dominican woman, a rod is a Dominican man and nothing. And let me tell you this cryptic thing. Nothing hurts a Dominican man more than a woman who leaves after he's been being a terrible partner and she finally leaves and he's like, oh, how could you? So he has his posting he is someone he definitely needs to go touch grass, hopefully baseball grass. But he has someone who has never gone over gotten over that she left him.
Speaker 4: The jet ski.
Speaker 6: Thing, how he circled him and his friends circled her yacht with jet skis. He's posted like pictures after she dumped him, pictures of them like Tibachata music, like he's just down bad.
Speaker 4: If you haven't seen down bad, you know.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you guys off Mike some some tea that I know about him, like he has nobody has hurt more than him, and it's like, listen, he's he's probably like thinking he'll get a chance again because.
Speaker 1: J Lo's down buddy.
Speaker 6: No, he's down bad, and he's he doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Can't say I've ever had an ex circle mayat on jet Skis, have you, Danielle?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. That hasn't happened to me. We're hitting pause on Popping Off with Elise Morales and Millie Tomawes, but we'll be right back. Stick with us and we're back to Popping Off with Elise Morales and Millie Tomates. Okay, so this one we're talking about in your honor Millie and Elise, because this is some TikTok drums.
Speaker 3: Are you ready ready, so ready?
Speaker 1: Okay? New York TikTokers Hallie Kate and Sophia La Court Yes, are in a love triangle with this man read Williams. So Hallie Kate has one point three million followers on TikTok. She like specifically blew up in the last few months because this is horrible, but she got punched in the face in New York walking down the street.
Speaker 3: She was one of those oh yes that was going on for a while.
Speaker 1: And she like recorded the whole experience.
Speaker 4: Oh god, poor girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually find her very entertaining. Uh, the Internet's not loving all of them right now. Because so Hallie dated Read for nine months and then shortly after they broke up, she found out that her friend, who is another TikToker, Sophia, started dating him, and so she posted a video about this situation and it started this much larger conversation online about homie hopping, which, if you don't know what homie hopping is, it's basically hopping from homie to homie aka dating multiple friends in a friend group. What do you guys think, MILLI least I'm giving it to the internet officionados.
Speaker 5: Okay, I have a couple immediate thoughts homie hopping. I don't see you here. It's so funny to even use that phrase. My thoughts on homie hopping are as follows. I think that if your friend group can actually handle it, then yeah, I guess you're allowed to date people who have dated your friend as long as there was a mutual breakup. That what didn't involve any like super bad behavior on either side. I just don't think that I've actually seen it play.
Speaker 1: Out very well in real life.
Speaker 5: If it's more of an extended group of young people MILLI and I come up from the improv comedy scene, is that's obviously like, that's a larger community of young people who are all friends and stuff like.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 5: I think it depends on how big of the group, Like would it count as homie hopping that it's just all a bunch of people who are in the New York comedy scene and are dating and hooking up with each other, but they all are acquaintances and know each other.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's kind of a different deal.
Speaker 5: I think that if you are actually in a very semi small friend group and everyone's dating each other, I think it's hard to pull off.
Speaker 1: You're being so nice about this. I would die if my girlfriend dated my ex boyfriend. I would be deceased.
Speaker 6: Yes, this is what I'm gonna say. Now, I'm gonna pop off. At least have the politically correct answer.
Speaker 4: I say.
Speaker 6: I kind of thought, like, oh, a girl dating multiple guy friends, that's fine.
Speaker 4: Men aren't even good.
Speaker 6: Friends to each other and you don't know how to have real relationships. But homie hopping with women. No, no, no, no, nope, that's not okay. And to me, I say, look, you can do and this is what I feel like a lot of people on the internet, especially gen Z, don't get You can do whatever you want. You could date whoever you want, but there'll be consequences.
Speaker 4: Dat my ex.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, You're not gonna go to jail. This is America, okay.
Speaker 1: But I'm a friend.
Speaker 6: You lose me as a friend. I'm not gonna fuck with you. I'm not gonna tell people that you're cool. I'm gonna tell my friends to keep their men's away from you. If if you heard me talk about oh my god, my ex this and that, and then you talk to him, Okay, if it's if there's more than a two year gap, girl, you're gonna have to let it go. You're gonna have to let it go hashtag a Rod.
Speaker 4: But if it.
Speaker 6: Is if Jane d a Rod's friend, a Rod can't do anything. Yes, women can, Holmi hop men can't. Sorry, I don't make the rules.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go ahead and say something that I think at least one other person listening will relate to tell us I feel really old right now, you guys, because I don't know who any of these people are.
Speaker 4: Hallie kay, so feeling I.
Speaker 1: Don't, I feel I feel so old.
Speaker 2: And also this makes me think of that scandal that happened with the Mormon Wives a while ago.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, the Mormon Singers.
Speaker 4: That's gonna be a.
Speaker 1: Free form show.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're getting a TV show, the Secret Lives of Mormon Wives, and I will be watching.
Speaker 6: Yeah no, that Trainla looks good. Sorry, Real Housewoves of Salt Lake City.
Speaker 3: I will be seated for that. Absolutely.
Speaker 5: And this is a common problem to speak to what you were just saying, Like, that's a common problem that Millie and I have to have as we're creating Go Touch grass is where like who's fighting with who and they're on the What channel and they're doing like it is a lot of deep dives into the most random people in the world, because fame is like such a scattered thing. Now that someone can have three million TikTok followers, yes, who avidly follow everything that they do, and I'm like, she's who and she dated this one and they're best friends with hoopst.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's another term that's sparky in debate online. This one's not necessarily about relationships but about parenting. So, my oldest son just started elementary school last week, and one of the most startling realizations of this whole process is the peace. Like we grew up watching movies where the PTA moms are? You know, these fixtures and films or TV shows. It's something I heard about my whole life, but it was really confronting to walk into my son's school orientation and be like, oh, yeah, the PTA is a thing that I might have to get involved with now. And it's kind of overwhelming because you know, school participation, parents participating in your kids school. It's going to help your students succeed, it's going to help the school succeed. But it takes a lot of time. There's PTA meetings, there's fundraisers, community events. It's a lot. And there's a mom online from Tennessee who is putting her foot down on all of the requirements, everything that's asked of parents and offering a new perspective on school participation. So she calls herself a Venmo mom, and she took to TikTok to say that she'd rather venmo money to support her kids' schools and activities instead of volunteering her time in the classroom. And she says that she's obviously going to make sure that her kids do their homework and get to school on time, you know, the basic stuff. But she just gets it's a little stress whenever she's asked to volunteer and instead she wants to show her support financially. What do you guys think about this? Is this a valid way to support your kid's school, to support your kid's education.
Speaker 6: I feel like I think that you know, they say money can buy happiness, but money can solve problems. And I say, throw money at any problem, anything, anything that you're anxious about, anything that you don't like, you can throw money.
Speaker 4: At it and it will help.
Speaker 6: If you don't like your brows, you don't like this, throw money at it. And if you don't want to participate, listen, of course, know who your kids teachers are, whatever, this and that, but don't volunteer and do something begrudgingly and whatever. If you don't want to do it, send them fifty dollars and keep it moving. I was also saying, you know, this is in lou again. Again, it's not in lieu of like, oh, I don't even I'm not completely checked out. I don't care. I don't even a fuck about it. No, it's in lieu of like, hey, can you bake cookies for the bake sale? And it's like, no, here's fifty dollars right right exactly, which I think is fine.
Speaker 4: And also I would say that as someone.
Speaker 6: Who bakes for attention, like people people who like baking love baking.
Speaker 4: And want people, you know, they.
Speaker 1: Do it for the money for attention. I've never heard that. Well what do you think it, Kelly?
Speaker 5: Oh I, Milli bro It was actually two flons. Milly brought a fa a flon to gorgeous flonds to my birthday.
Speaker 3: They were so good.
Speaker 5: She did get attention and I was happy to give it to her.
Speaker 1: Wow, Millie, you're invited to my birthday next year.
Speaker 3: Listen, I'll make a flw Yeah, no, I want to. It was amazing.
Speaker 5: And that's the other thing is that, like Millie's flawn was on point because Millie wanted to make that flawn.
Speaker 3: I don't want to.
Speaker 5: Eat cookies that were baked under duress. I don't want to eat sad cupcakes that you didn't want to make and that you're throwing together. Like, some people are motivated to do that stuff and they derive a lot of joy out of doing it, and God bless them. But if you're not one of them, as long as you're like providing something and that thing maybe a venmo, I think you're participating normally. I think what you described like that this person is still engaged with what's happening in their kids classroom. They're making sure their homework is getting done, but not everybody is into volunteering in the classroom or has the time and energy to do that. Like I remember when I was a kid because my mom just my mom always worked, so there was like one time I think she was able to come on the field trip, whereas there were other parents who like they were there every single time, and no one was doing parenting wrong or right in that scenario.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Well, I think that like it seems from and someone tell me what you think, but it seems from all my girlfriends that have kids in school that schools are not really set up for working parents, and so it's really it seems really tough. I get where she's coming from. I will say, I remember being so excited when my mom or dad was coming to school, like it was such a big deal. And I thought, my mom is coming and like yeah, just like looking at her and she would read to the class and I would be like, isn't she so beautiful? Like I was just so excited. So I don't know, I mean, if you have the time, I feel like your kids really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I remember my mom coming and doing what we called was like lunch bunch, where I guess you would swap lunches or something and then you would get a story read to you. And my mom was super involved and she would come and volunteer. She was actually an educator, so it was a real natural fit for her. And I really appreciated it too.
Speaker 4: I do think at.
Speaker 2: Least you brought up a great point, like volunteering is a privilege for a lot of folks. You know, if you have a full time job and you're let's say, you know, a single parent, you don't really have the option of, you know, expending all this extra energy to volunteer. And I actually read a comment on this woman's video from a PTA president in another state and she was like, listen, we embrace support in all forms. If you want to volunteer your time, we will take it. If you want to volunteer your money, we will take it. So let's not be you know, snobby or particular about how parents are showing up for their kids.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I feel like, to go to Danielle's point, is so happy that your mom showed up. And it's like because she wasn't there every day because it was one a year, maybe that your mom came through. And that's what I'm saying, you don't have to feel ashamed for not I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm just like if I have kids, like, I'm still gonna.
Speaker 1: Have a life?
Speaker 4: Am I life?
Speaker 6: You be my kids? You know someone you look like your life is popping popping off?
Speaker 5: I mean, I do feel like sometimes and maybe this is a tale as old as time, but I do see it in my friends who are becoming parents, and just like parenthood related content I'm consuming online that sometimes.
Speaker 3: There's this attitude of like, if you are not.
Speaker 5: Donating every single ounce of your free time to being in the classroom and doing all this stuff, that you are not prioritizing.
Speaker 3: Your child properly.
Speaker 5: But I feel like I think that I benefited from seeing my parents having a social life and my parents having work and my parents I knew that I was the center of my parents world, that they loved me so much that I could always go to them. But I also knew that they had other things going on in their life, that they had friends, that they had things that they were pursuing. And I think it's valuable for kids to see that too, like for them to see their parents as a whole person. Like I knew who my parents' best buddies were from high school and then also later on in life, and like sometimes they would go on a vacation and we would stay with family, Like you know, I feel like sometimes the narrative online is like, especially for mothers, is that you have to put aside all your social life, your hobbies, everything has to go aside so that you can be one hundred percent present for every single event thing, this, that, and the other. And I don't even think that that's necessarily helpful for a kid.
Speaker 2: No, And I don't think it's healthy for the parents either. There is a loss of identity that happens too.
Speaker 5: I will say, shout out my parents had a rag er of a year two thousand New Year's party at my house when I was a kid that I remember very fondly, but don't think that I fully understood the level of rager that was taking place at the house to pop off.
Speaker 1: You got it.
Speaker 6: I believe in you.
Speaker 2: I'm here.
Speaker 5: I mean today, my little sister was there, all the kids were there, the kids went to sleep. We had like kind of a little My dad had an office in like our backyard, so they were like, all the kids can go sleep in the backyard. We are having a giant millennium party because maybe all the computers are going to shut down. I forget what Y two k was, but they partied at my house on the year two thousand, and it's a fond memory of mine.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a time I believe in you.
Speaker 6: Simon Venmo, Mom, Venmo, and plan that party.
Speaker 2: Listen, Venmo, me and I'll plan the party. Okay, what about party planning?
Speaker 4: Mom?
Speaker 2: That's instead of president. Can I be like the flon mom? Mom, Mom, listen the flanty. You could be the fl.
Speaker 5: I love flante Wow flnty, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're ending on that. Alise Morales and Flante Millie. They are the hosts of the podcast Go Touch Grass. Thanks for popping off with us, guys.
Speaker 3: Oh I loved popping off with you guys. Thanks for having us.
Speaker 6: I loved it. You guys are awesome.
Speaker 1: Alise Morales and Millie Tomares are the hosts of the podcast Go Touch Grass. You can find them at Milly Underscore tomorrows and at Pandalise on social.
Speaker 2: We need to take a quick break, but when we come back, we're reminiscing on our college days and talking about how we do things differently if we were in college today and we're back, Danielle, I hate to admit it, but it's late August. I am so sad about this. We are officially approaching the end of summer.
Speaker 1: And I know you're a summer girl, but I have to tell you, as a Midwesterner, I love fall. I'm excited about it. It's my favorite season. Okay, tell me more. Okay, not in LA but everywhere else. The leaves change colors, the air gets brisker, you pull out your fall wardrobe, and even though summer's ending, it's the season for heading off to college for new beginnings. And I remember being in college and being so excited to see all of your besties again and picking out fun stuff for your college dorm room, and while you were going to wear it a class.
Speaker 2: You know what, You're so right, there's a bright side in every season. I'm trying to think back to my first day of college and what I wore.
Speaker 4: I can't remember, do you?
Speaker 1: Oh? I remember exactly. I have photos with my best friend from high school. We both ended up going to the Universe City of Wisconsin, Madison, and I walked up this huge bascom hill with her. I was so nervous. I was wearing denim jeans, a tight white tank top with like a western brown belt, and a green shrug. Do you remember? Shrugs refresh my memory? Like they cover your arms, like they're like this.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I remember the shrug era. There were sequin shrugs. There were all different kinds of shrugs.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, in the spirit of first today, we're gonna have a little fun in partnership with Walmart. We're going to talk about what we would wear and bring with us if we were going to college now in twenty twenty four. Don't we want to redo? Oh well, I'm in college in my mind still, So I love this. That's true. Okay, do it. So if you were a college student, now, what would you wear on your first day? What would your style be?
Speaker 2: I think instead of trying to impress anyone, I would be comfy and cute in gorpcore all the way. Yeah, I love you know. I love the outdoorsy camping aesthetic. So if you're not familiar with this brand, it's all about fleece vests, hiking boots, hofers, cargo pants.
Speaker 4: It's style and function.
Speaker 2: Basically, I would want to be able to go on a hike as soon as class ends.
Speaker 4: Okay, how about you?
Speaker 1: This one is hard. I actually think that it would be a mix of activewear and streetwear, which is my style now. I like comfy, but like a little bit of edge. And I have to tell you, denim on Denim is my go to when I don't know what to wear, because I feel like you can't go wrong. It's chic, it's casual, it looks like you tried, but you didn't try hard. So I'm going with the chic, classic, cool Canadian tuxedo. Can't go wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so we've talked about what we would wear on the streets.
Speaker 1: What about inside?
Speaker 2: If we're indoors in our dorm room, how would you decorate your dorm room today.
Speaker 1: So you're more the interiors girl, This one's hard for me. I think I would just go with something in line with my personal style, which is like lo fi, muted tones, flexible, gender neutral designs. I'd keep the vibes fluid and free and definitely a little nostalgic. I love a photo wall of memories. I made a poster for my college dorm room with like all my high school photos of friends and family, so cute.
Speaker 2: I actually tend to be more lo fi now, But I think if I were doing it over again, I might go in the other direction.
Speaker 4: I might be eclectic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see that for you.
Speaker 2: Embrace the bold prince, the happy hues, the viby neons that set the stage for some main character energy.
Speaker 1: The neons always come back into style. I love that idea.
Speaker 2: You know, I remember that feeling of picking out my dorm room decor. Yeah, it's such a big moment because it's this first taste of real independence and agency and you're out on your own, and it's this important part of your self expression and development and at that age, you want to try on all these different identities without breaking the bank, of course, and it's like.
Speaker 1: The first time that you're showing people who you are without saying anything. You know, because people come visit your dorm room, so you're you're expressing yourself, you're telling them something. So I want to talk about the tech because it's an important part of the college dorm room experience, and it's also one of the most expensive pieces of gear that you need when you go off to college. So what did you actually bring to college? And did you own a laptop or a smartphone?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to be dating myself here. I had a flip phone. What Yeah, smartphones were not around when I went to college.
Speaker 4: You had a.
Speaker 1: Flip phone, not either like a sidekick or anything.
Speaker 4: No, maybe I was a ludd eyed at the time. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe I wasn't up on all the technology, but I I had my flip phone, and then I also had a laptop of course. But here's the thing about laptops back then. Do you remember how enormous and heavy they were?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean those laptops back then they must have weighed what fifteen pounds?
Speaker 4: Or something.
Speaker 2: It's amazing how much more affordable and lightweight, high quality.
Speaker 4: Tech is today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've come a long way. Like hold on, I have an example.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if I were going back to college today, I would bring a sleek, lightweight laptop with me like this. It's the HP fifteen point six inch laptop. Ooh and feel it. You gotta feel. It's like light as a blether thin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very light, and I like the sheen. It's like a nice silver purple.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Very cool. Okay, how about for you? What is the must have tech if you were going to college? Okay, so I'm bringing the fun because for me, it's all about the Bow's quiet comfort noise canceling earphones. They're actually my favorite brand of headphone because not only do they look cool, you need something that looks cool when you walk through the airport, but most importantly, Bo's is known for their audio quality. The noise cancelation makes it so much easier to focus and study. I swear if I had a pair of these in college, my GPA would have been at least like a half a point higher.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about a digital camera? Did you have one of those in college.
Speaker 1: Of course, I had a flip camera for videos. Do you remember those?
Speaker 4: A flip camera?
Speaker 1: It was like a tiny Oh the flip cameras. Yes, yes, digital camera was a must have in college.
Speaker 4: It was such a thing.
Speaker 2: Remember we'd make the photo albums with all of our That was the original photo dump, was the digital camera photo dump.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: I also love polaroids in addition to cameras, because the polaroids, they just give you that nostalgic feeling that you can't replicate.
Speaker 1: One thousand percent. It makes everything look cool like this. Oh, you brought the in Stax one Fujifilm Instax camera. Hell yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm a polaroid girl all the way. I love the nostalgic vibes. This is the Fujifilm in Stax camera. Ugh, my trusty friend never let me down. Can we take one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: Wait to hear this sound, it's epic.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we wait for that to load. Walmart has all of this and so much more so check out their full selection of college gear and top tech online or in store.
Speaker 2: Thanks to our partners at Walmart. Whatever your aesthetic is, Walmart's got it. That's it for today's show. On Monday, we're catching Flights not Feelings with Alexis Bowen. She's the co founder of the travel company Elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. The bright Side is a production of Hello Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese.
Speaker 2: Witherspoon, production by Arcana Audio. Our producers are Jessica Wenk and Christa Ripple. Our senior producers are Janis Yamoka, It'si Kintania and Amy Padula. Our engineer is PJ. Shahamutt.
Speaker 1: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruska. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 2: Natalie Tulluck and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 1: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner.
Speaker 2: This week's episodes were recorded by Josh Hook and Joel Morales. Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton Lighthouser.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 2: I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Boyce on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: And I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok. That's R O B A Y.
Speaker 4: We'll see you Monday, y'all. Keep looking on the bright side.