Speaker 1: Welcome to my show. I'm Rashon McDonald, a host of Money Making Conversations Masterclass, where we encourage people to stop reading other people's success stories and start planning your own. Now, you don't want to miss an episode, so please take a MoMA right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversations Masterclass. It's free. You can follow me on iHeartRadio, app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your podcast. New Money Making Conversations Masterclass episodes drop daily. I want to keep you on alert because my guests provide tips on how you can uplift your community, improve your financial planning, motivation, or advice on how to be a successful entrepreneur. Now, let's get this podcast started. My guest is a real estate entrepreneur, financial Strategists and host of Less Talk real Estate. He's also the author under real Estate and Sales, The Real Estate Wealth Creator Blueprint Key's to overcoming fear, lack of money, and inexperience to possess real estate. Please welcome the Money Making Conversation that the class extra bee Jinkings, not dexter. Don't say nothing now, but you got to tell me how did it feel to have the number one book on Amazon.
Speaker 2: I would tell you, after all, it took me a year to write that book, so after twelve months of work, it felt good.
Speaker 1: Okay, now we talk about faith. Now, Now there was a lot of prayering to that book that got you there, a lot of a lot of writing and and all.
Speaker 2: It was a mixture of both, so that you know, the prayer, faith that our works is dad. So it was.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, yes, sir.
Speaker 2: I not to get it done.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations man on having this book. And if you're ready to get this interview started, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: You said a couple of things in the opening. I want to jump right back into it. You know, overcoming fear. You know why did you have that? Because I got that directly from the information you sent to me. It's buying property, it's houses, there's lots that are empty. Why would that be overcoming fear?
Speaker 2: Well, because I think real estate is probably the in most people's cases, is the largest purchase they're ever gonna make. You know, I don't care where what you are, so if you're by me, I'm a Boston, Massachusett man. The media and the house price and mass Chusetts just went over six hundred thousand dollars. So for the most part, you're looking at I am about to make a purchase for six hundred thousand dollars and maybe I've never done it before. And so that's why I believe fear is the biggest thing you tell people overcome and you overcome that through education, you overcome that through networking and things that nature. And so that's why we attack fear first, because if you can get past the fear and purchase your first house, brother Shaw, I believe it is life changing.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool. We know you're religious man. You have a church, yes, sir, you know you speak to them, and so f has a role in your life that every person may not have. But so I have to bring that up first because a lot of people are conflicted with faith and business. And I remember I asked Julanda Adams about that. Is there a difference between faith and business? She said, Richard, they is the one and the same. So when I have to ask you, Dexter B. Jenkins, you ephasize the role of faith in real estate and wealth creation. Can you elaborate on how faith intersects with financial success based on your experience, what what?
Speaker 2: What will go back to what you know? You mentioned Elanda Adams, who I've never met, but I know I was able and most people know who she is. Right, she's she's right on point in that the only the only people who separated faith and money were for people. God never did. So if you go to his Manual, which for us is the Bible, you know, but Jesus spoke more on money than anything else. So from that perspective, there's no difference. Now, I think a lot of times, you know, there have been some miscode scriptures. You know, one Timothy chapter six the money is the root of all evil, which the scripture says the love of money. And then you know, you hear people talk about, you know, what does a profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul and so and some of those and those are valid points. What God just wants you to keep him first in everything that you do. So if you keep him first, he has no problem. But when you start talking about real estate. Real estate is a major theme in the Bible, starting in Genesis chapter one, where we see God is the original developer. He looks out there and he sees darkness, and then what he does is he speaks light and then he begins to he spends, he begins to develop.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: And then you go and you look at you know, he was sending Abraham to a land and then a promise and then to did you they were going to a land and so there's a major theme in the Bible of the land. And so I was just trying to pull that out in the scripture. I mean from scripture in the book that you know God was the original developer, and that you know, there should be no no conflict with individuals with with with them desiring to own real estate and then you know, obviously desiring to be spiritual on whatever left. Like obviously we said, we're coming from a Christian stance right now. You may have people who may not or may not even who may not even you know, that's not an area of their life that they tend to go after it. But whatever it is, if you're looking at your faith and even your just your basic belief system, I believe you have to let people understand that it's okay to desire wealth. And that's that's why I love what you do, because these classes are really getting people to think, Okay, it's okay for me to do that, and as long as I'm moral and ethical about it, it's all good.
Speaker 1: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass. No need for you to do me a favor right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or where wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow a subscribe money Making Conversations. Welcome back to money Making Conversation master Class, hosted by me Rashaun McDonald. Money Making Conversation master Class continues online at Moneymaking Conversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations master Class on Facebook, X and Instagram. Okay, your book, The Real Estate Wealth Creator Blueprint. What is the purpose of that title, The Real Estate Wealth Creator Blueprint.
Speaker 2: Well, because all success leaves clues, you know, you know, and so there's a blueprint that I followed. You know. I'm a second generation real estate investor. My dad was a guy who grew up in a small town called Saint Stephen, South Carolina, and then migrated up to New Haven, Connecticut, where he was a barber for sixty years. But dad all taught me the importance of owning where you live, in owning where you have your business. Got it sub state? Yeah, yeah, So that's real estate. So you know the house I grew up in, you know, from the time I was eight to the time I still own now because I inherited that house, we still own that. It's a two family. There's another commercial property that he left for me that he worked out of for part twenty five years or so, and so you know, so that was my blueprint and so what I desired to do, and then my wife and I have followed suits. So since twenty sixteen, I mean, we've been involved in millions of dollars of real estate transactions. And so what we have done is laid out the blueprint that I really got from my dad and other successful people who have leveraged real estate to build wealth.
Speaker 1: Okay, if we build wealth, and like you already said that, you know the medium household calls in the Boston area six hundred thousand dollars, right, that means that sometimes you may not have the money, right, so you need to team up. Talk about that team, Dexter, that's that team, because you talk about it in the book. Because a lot of people that's part of the fear too, like you said, not being able to afford the dream. How does one put that team together and moving forward so it won't later on get into any arguments about you owe me this, you owe me this, I did all the work talk about that, Dexter.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say this, there is no full proof way to say things won't happen down the line, right, you know, to think about marriage, you know, people all we all come to the altar, you know, with the right mindset of to death, du us part, and then stuff happened, you know. And so I just think in any time when two people come together or even sometimes even more, you can't guarantee that. But I do think what help happens is if you could do some vetting on the front end. I found, brother Seana, people who have gotten in trouble with partnerships. Is this first of all, let's go back even to even some people even afraid to partner because for the most part, we've been trained to work independently, and particularly at our people. I'm talking about black and brown folk and there's a lack of trust there. But you recognize you can get more done through partnerships. You know, you and I are are building partnerships and talking and other people don't build a partnership with Well, we can do more together, and so you So you got to break through that fear of partnerships even entering into it. And then when you enter into a partnership, I believe the most important thing you have to do partnership if you have to, you have to have clarity who's doing what. So if I'm entering into a real estate transaction, so maybe I don't have the time, but I have the money. Well maybe I don't have the money, but I got the time, or I have the connections. And so I think the clearer you can be with who's gonna do what in your partnership and then watch this if things break down, what do we do right? Because there has to be spelled out too, because obviously we're going into a believe that it's going to work with just like a marriage. You know you you went down, I believe it you still in front of somebody like me and said I do and you and when I said till death do you part you believed it, but then it didn't go like that way, and so I think you have to you have to have a contingency plan for when things don't go right, and that has to be spelled out in writing.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this because I got that. You know, I grew up with my parents did buy their first homes or two bedroom shotgun house, and they sold that and got a two bedroom house and still nine kids, but we all got in there, you know. But it was owned by my mom and dad who owned it owned it real estate. That's why I want to keep saying the word real estate because a lot of people are confused about what exactly is real estate. And I guess you said it from a biblical standpoint, dexterra what real estate is. But but break it down to people about what is real estate the vacant lot, the building in the house. But I almost steal your thumb there, but talk about what is real estate?
Speaker 2: What you said to me real estate, I mean I brought it down to the to what you've already said. It's a land. Now that is land. I got to decide how I'm what am I gonna put on the land so it could be a like you said, a two bedroom house. It could be a parking lot, it could be it could be a shock, it could be a bar, so anything. So I define real estate as this first of all land, and then you you anything that you can put on it to monetize it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So so sometimes it's gonna be a three family house, sometimes it's gonna be a six you sometimes it's gonna be a commercial property that you can put a major store in. And so anything that we can monetize, or sometime I sometimes the land I could I can farm it, you know. So there's just a lot of different ways that you know.
Speaker 1: That owning it is the key, and that's what the basis of this book.
Speaker 2: Owning it is the key. And then whilech there is finding out how to monetize because I know a lot of them, but I know a number of people who have things but don't know how to monetize it, right, right, And what good is it if you don't know how to monetize it. So what I want to do is I want to make sure brother Sean, two things happen that when I have some land I put either I learned how to monetize it, so it produces two things to me, number one cash flow and number two appreciation.
Speaker 1: Cool, Well, let's talk about that. Let's talk about some of the common myths of mixed conceptions by real estate investing, because I don't know what could be a misconception, you know, But again, this is what you do, right. I'm an interviewer. You are the subject matter expert. Please tell us what misconceptions a myths that people run from, because I would just tell you this. You know, we talk about faith, we talk about fear, we talk about money. Okay, those are three things that if they don't come together, if you don't overcome that fear, you don't have the money. I don't care how much faith you have. Real estate is not going to be purchased. So when you talk about myths that are common and misconceptions, what are some of them when it comes to investing in real estate?
Speaker 2: I find the biggest one is that people think think they need a lot of money to do it. Wow, that's the biggest one. And and there's some programs. Actually I was talking to my godson yesterday. He lives in the Virginia U DC area, and so he called me. He said hey, uh, he said hey, he called me uncle, Hey, Uncle, Dexter. You know I'm a I'm a veteran, and uh, I got a v A loan that I haven't taken advantage of. Now, if you don't think about a v A loan, a V loan, a v A loan allows you to get into a piece of property with no money down. And he was saying a lot of people, he said, a lot of my friends have taken advantage of the v A loan and I'm trying to figure out how to do it. And I said, man, there are a lot of ways, so I'm walking through that. But my point being is a lot of times we haven't even taken a time to do the research and find out what what what can I get into a property for? So that's on the side. But then there's also FHA loans where you could get in for it as little as three percent down, and they are lenders who will sometimes they will even give you the down payment. And so the biggest thing I find is that most people think that it takes tons of money to get involved, and it doesn't. It just takes you thinking strategically. And then number two, I believe, in fact, actually number one is this It takes you believing it's possible. Right, that's one. Then number two it becomes now you you begin this thing strategically about Okay, how am I gonna get this done?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Is it partnerships? Is it me looking at looking at grants and things that I can get involved in? Well? They well they will. Smaller banks, You know, a great resource for people in their communities is tapping into community banks because they a lot of times they keep they have they have what they call portfolio loans, and a portfoli all your loan simply means that what they do is they have set asiut a certain amount of money that they're gonna lend out and they're going to keep it. They're not going to sell it.
Speaker 1: Don't go anywhere. We will be right back with more insights from Money Making Conversations master Class. Welcome back to Money Making Conversation Master Class hosted by me Rashawn McDonald. Let's get back into it. What you have to realize that taxes come with the lane, taxes, insurance, maintenance, all that is part of the game. Come on now, come on now, and it's called balancing. You know, we don't want to just have people run out there thinking that all about this, I'm about this, by this gotta be insured. You know, if you don't take care of the property, then guess what the neighborhood association might be coming after you? Say, may be coming after you. Okay, how does one take that property? Especially, let's look at it if it's a real estate purchase of a home and turn that into an investment, maybe be a rental home property or buying up the block. Let's talk about it a little bit about that, because that's how a lot of people, especially the African American of people of color, are rising up in the economic ladder because they are making purchases of homes, flipping them or renovating them and turning them into monthly fees. They create income for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but but I think that and that's I mean, there are a number of different strategies. So some people do what you said. You know, I flipped a number of houses my wife and that that was out and we still do. That was one of my main strategies getting started. So we do have buyed whole properties where you know, we went and actually bought a property, two or three of them actually and you know, fix them up and then now we have rent off and so it really when I'm talking people about investing, you have to decide what you really want real estate investing to produce for you. That's number one. Number two, you got to decide do you want to and be an active investor or a passive investor? Now what's an active investor? And an active investor someone who like myself, who goes out and flips buys and holes and all that. A passive investor someone who, look, I ain't got time for all that. They'll have time or the desire to do and so, but they have cash. And so what they'll do is they'll they'll they'll put money in someone's hands to go ahead and be an investor. And actually that's a phenomenal way for people who don't have a lot of time who listen to us, Hey, look I want to get involved in real estate, but I don't have a lot of time. Maybe you know, they got maybe they are a high income earner doing whatever they do. Maybe they got family and obligations, maybe they're taking care of a parent or whatever. They don't have a lot of time in their hands, but they do have cash. And so what you can do is you can deploy your money in the real estate while you're doing those other things. Got it. So number one, I got to decide what real estate want, what I want real estate to produce me to do. Number two, I want to, you know, decide what I want to be active and passive. And then number three what I got to do is I gotta decide what strategy I'm am I gonna be one who fixing flips, Am I gonna buy it hole? Or I'm gonna help other people do it, you know. So it really just depends on what where you are. So there is no one set way of doing it. And this is what I believe. Sometimes you have to go one strategy and find out, you know what, I don't like this, you know, I don't like this, so I'm gonna try this, you know. And so that's that's what I advise people to do.
Speaker 1: You know, when I was reading the book your book, which is newly published, the Real Estate Wealth Creative Blueprint, financial literature kept popping up, popping up, you know, because in the sense that that's important. I'm just telling everybody, we all want you to be wealthy, we all want you to buy real estate, but we don't want you to make a mistake. We don't want you to miss steps like you said Rishan, I said taxes. You reminded me about insurance. You know, I tay an insurance. You reminded me about property might yes, okay, So it keeps moving along. Before we get to financial literacy, the word mentorship are mentoring pops up because again, I'm a pretty smart dude. I've been very successful, but even in this interview, I forgot some things. Okay, how important is mentorship? And you talk about it in your book in the blueprint.
Speaker 2: Right, it's it's priceless, meaning everything in every everything you've accomplised, everything I've accomplished has been because I've had mentors. What I'm saying so so so, whether it's an official mentor so sometimes it's a book. So it doesn't necessarily mean I even know you personally. I may have never met you, but I've read your book. I'm entering into a mentoring relationship, meaning there's an exchange of information that helps me to grow correct. So, but but I mean I've I've had paid mentors, I've had unofficial mentors. You know you and I have debilt relationship. I mean so you're certain other mentor in respects to me and in this media stuff, you know. And so it's just in anything in life. I mean, I'm my background the brother Sean is that of an athlete. See I look at mentoring and it's like coaching. I was a basketball player, so every so every team I played on, there was, say what a coach, And so the coach was the one who was instructing us and teaching us on how to do what we need to do in order to reach whatever goal we need to reach. So and this money making real estate thing, the reason why I talk so much about financial literacy is because if you make it, the goal is to keep it right. It ain't just see cause really what what what we want to do is we want to earn it. We want to keep it. Watch this, we want to pass it on because we want this multi generational wealthing. You know. So why why should every generation have to have to start over? I don't think that's the case. Well, if we teach people how to become financially literate, you know, it allows them to be able to not not to enjoy it for themselves. But how can we enjoy this thing? Two and three and four or five generations down line, so many many many many years from now, when you and I are not here, our great great grandchildren are benefiting off of something that we did.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, now we've had a great conversation. You know. We we're promoting your book, and the book is to create a blueprint and it's about real estate. Now, young people, old people, I'm gonna tell you something. If you're fifty, please listen to this conversation. If you're sixty, please listen this conversation. If you seventy, please listen this conversation. We're talking to YouTube. We're not just talking to twenty year old and thirty old and forty old people. The opportunity to still build your wealth and also create a foundation that you can pass to your relatives, pass to your your peer group. It's important that you understand that there's never too late to get into real estate game. But but, but, but there's always a butt in this conversation, you can be overwhelmed getting into the real estate game. And you talk about that in your book, and I think that's very important, is to how do you get in Dexter and not be overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: Well, it starts with education. You know when I'm not for me because I've grown up around. My dad was my first mentor. I wouldn't have called him that, but just looking at his life, he was. And then I started searching the other mantons. And one of the things I talked about in the book is there's something called READS, which stands for real estate or social safely right now but our ei A. You can look it up in your in your local area. There are tons of them, and you know their local meetings that you could go to for Some have feeds, some don't, and you can just go and start sitting in and getting the education. But you know, so it starts with that process and then get around some people who are doing that. You know. This is what I found, and this is one of the things one of the mistakes I think people don't mate. Go find somebody who's doing what you're doing and offer to serve them. Say look, hey, I want to learn this real estate game. I know how to do X, Y and Z. Hey look I'll drive you around if you need if need be, but I just need to be around so I can get a sense of how this thing works. And then once people get around it you know. I just think after a point in time, you will. In the book, one thing I talk about this thing called courage. I talk about courage being something that's cultivated and courages something that can be passed down. So you hang around courageous people. It rubs off on you.
Speaker 1: Wow. As we close out the interview, Dexter, you focus on creating general generational wealth. That's words, it's passed around the word generational wealth. And you can't get that work in afford They all week job No, but you can't get it by what you are talking about in your book. Tell us how families can gain generational wealth. It is real estate. Would follow your advice. That's why I have you on the shelf. Yeah, talk to us.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, first of all, let's look at generational well being more than just money. It's a lot of things. Now we're talking money because this is the topic. But I think the a wealthy mindset is something that needs to be passed down. First of all, that's the first thing meaning that my dad passed that out of recognized, but he passed that down to me. I inherited that that was generational, but he got that from his father, you know, So I think the mindset first of all, and then as the mindsets passed down, then you begin brother Sean to find out the different avenues are doing it, because real estate is not the only avenue that are doing that. Some people don't do no real estate, but they have a business or some people have stocks. So it doesn't matter the asset class. You just need one, and you need one that will allow you to create this thing call leverage. And talk a lot about my book about the power of the importance of having the leverage, because what leverage does. It allows you to make make more money with less effort, and so more so, it's the mindset. It's the having the people come together to work together to get something done and then now we can we can pass it on to the next generation. Now watch this because I heard mister Jake said TV. Jake said this years ago. He said, it's not only important what you leave to them, it's also what you leave in them. So I don't want to leave my son and my grandson a whole bunch of money and they can go there and kill themselves because I haven't put the right morals in there and the right beliefs in them. You know, what I mean, because I am a pastor, I'm a utu the scripture, he says in Proverbs chapter wanted to talk about prosperity ruins the food, right, So if somebody's foolish, their money would kill them, you know, And so it has to be a mixture of the right the materials. But then I also recognize that, hey man, there's some things there, some ways I got to teach you how to live so that this money don't kill you.
Speaker 1: Wow. As always, your book is fascinating from a standpoint of we drive around communities. We see open lots, we see rundown houses, we see houses that we may feel we can never afford, but they all are real estate. And that's what this conversation from a Jump is about. Opening your eyes to financial gains that you are passing by every day. Get with your friends, get with your families, pool money and you can get into the game. And it's not a game that you can technically start by yourself. So to get that out your mind, you may need help and help us through like you said, vetting people, everybody understanding, writing down in a contract, none of the handshake stuff. I'm talking about money, Get it right, and you can start winning in the game of real estate and in his book The Real Estate Wealth Creative Blueprint. That's to be Jenkins. As usual, you give my show ability Money Making Conversations master Class. Thank you for always coming on my show, Dexter, Thank you for having me, sir, Thank you for listening to this episode. Now I need for you to do me a favor right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversations. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow or subscribe Money Making Conversations. Keep winning.