Speaker 1: Hey, y'all, Eve's here. I know you're ready to get into this episode, but really quick. We have been loving connecting with y'all over black storytelling, and if you've really been loving the show, then we would really appreciate it if you would leave us a rating and review, subscribe to the show, and share it with your friends. Thanks y'all, Now time for the episode. On theme is a production of iHeartRadio and fair Weather Friends Media. Hey, y'all, welcome to our channel.
Speaker 2: I'm Katie and I'm Eves, and you're tuned into Friends.
Speaker 1: With FROs, a channel where we show you how to pretty fi your puff.
Speaker 2: How to let your silk press sing and big.
Speaker 1: Chop Bellow, how to help your braids go from busted to.
Speaker 2: And how to let your kitchen cook because naps are what Eves natural.
Speaker 1: We'll make sure your hair is looking right so you can keep fighting the good fight.
Speaker 2: That's right. This channel is all about pro black hair hair.
Speaker 1: So without further ado, let's get into today's tutorial.
Speaker 2: Today's episode wash day Woes.
Speaker 1: Early in my high school years, I stopped getting perms, and it wasn't really a principal thing. They just didn't work for me. They burned no matter what I did. I hated the process and upkeep, and I wasn't the biggest fan of how I looked with my straight hair anyway. And my mother didn't get relaxers, so I saw what it was like to live without, so I decided to let my hair grow out without getting touchups.
Speaker 2: I do remember when you went natural, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It was a rough period, but so freeing that I didn't have to deal with the creamy crack anymore. So I committed to growing it all out, got made fun of here and there, and eventually had a head free of relaxer chemicals.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went natural a couple years later than you when I was in college, I think my sophomore year or right after my sophomore year. But you're definitely like one of the people I look to. I was like, well, East, what natural? So I can too?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. But for me, throughout that whole transition, I never would have made it. Q Marvin sapp if it weren't for the natural hair YouTube girlies.
Speaker 2: They have given so many people free game.
Speaker 1: Yes, ma'am, and I was one of them. Now, they weren't super popping on YouTube around the time that I started my process. At first, I was reading articles on old hair blogs with tiny pictures, scrolling through the comments section looking for folks who could co sign or condemn the tips given by the author, you know, trying to figure out what the hell and loc method is. The struggle was real, but baby, when folks started putting hair tutorials up on YouTube, it was a game changer. And now, years after the phenomenon first blew up, we have been blessed with so much information, so much value, and look, a lot of it is wrong, girl, But to be honest, all the misinformation is one of my favorite parts about the whole genre.
Speaker 2: Now you're gonna explain that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, hear me out first, the misinformation begets reality TV worthy drama. People have called out YouTubers on how their advice is just flat out wrong. Sometimes the trends don't be having no basis. In fact, it's just all vibes and that's entertainment, yes. But second, and less messy than that point is that we all end up learning together, Like figuring out how to care for your individual hair is a whole process and we have to experiment anyway, So we're making mistakes and updating our knowledge when we learn from it collectively. And third, the misinformation is indicative of the whole genre. Starting as an each one tach one project, it was black folks showing other black folks how to do their hair, and the educators were on a wide spectrum of experience and professional status, So of course some debris came in with a tide. If you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm catching your drift. That makes sense. Folks from all backgrounds definitely felt empowered to share whatever ounce of knowledge they had and a lot of folks have benefited from that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And since the birth of the genre, its creators have gone through a lot having to figure out how many more ways they can spin a twisted updo for content, upgrading their filming equipment and setup.
Speaker 2: Ooh, figuring out how to show what they're actually doing in the tutorial.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, child, I'm saying, detailing washday routines, peddling weed for foreign companies, arguing about the merits of hair types, hair porosity, washing, weekly oil usage, prepoods, protein treatments, you name it.
Speaker 2: They have the whole storytelling genre from the ground up.
Speaker 1: Exactly what I'm saying point number one. Think about the way is that hair YouTubers format their videos to be able to educate us best. The ways that they narrate, the intros they use I got beef with those but alas, the obligatory slow mode three sixty and glamour shots at the end of the video all hallmarks of the genre that creators built and solidified over time. Our nervous systems know what to expect when tuning in to a hair video at this point.
Speaker 2: It's given formulaic, it's giving Shakespearean play, it's giving aque Act two, Act three, it's giving climax, it's giving falling action.
Speaker 1: All of the things. They created a set of standards and practices that they use for their brand of visual storytelling. We're used to our parents and aunties and family friends showing us how to do hair, but filming it staying engaging but not belaboring points, learning what to cut and what to keep, working with technology and figuring out how to get people to see it all. In the end, they have put in work to create quality content that actually feeds the people and looks good, and.
Speaker 2: They've honed the craft in such a short period of time formula is tight as car rolls after a fresh.
Speaker 1: Install, crispy as greased parts.
Speaker 2: So what's your next point?
Speaker 1: This one's related to the artistry of it all too. It's that hair YouTubers are all the archetypes that we see in our favorite stories. They're unreliable narrators. Like I said earlier, they don't always know what they're talking about, and something they say that works for them will absolutely not work for everybody.
Speaker 2: They're also unsung heroes. They've saved me once or dice. Let's be real a million times when I couldn't think of a style to put on my head.
Speaker 1: Yep, And they're villains. Let a non perm YouTuber get a relaxer and watch the people turn on her with a quickness.
Speaker 2: In the comments, cussing name Colin.
Speaker 1: They inhabit the roles of celebrities as they gain audience and visibility, struggling artists when they're learning hair techniques, mentors as they teach us new hairstyles and hair care methods and introduce us to new products. And when someone's doing their thing on YouTube for a while, it can be a whole coming of age story. You get to see how they and their hair grow and evolve, we see their channel grow, we see them get married or have kids, and we see them decide to stop sharing on YouTube, or we see them come out with their own product lines, like Layla Washington of the YouTube channel Fusion of Cultures, who started a skincare company called Wilsea Botanicals.
Speaker 2: All that main character and energy.
Speaker 1: Yep, and that leads me to my next point. The genre and as creators carry some weight. They have a big presence on YouTube. They created a community that's been thriving for more than a decade now. Their followers are super engaged, partly due to the fact that YouTubers are charismatic and beautiful and personable and doing things that are aspirational for lots of people, but also because of the nature of the beast. We're interacting with the content in the most authentic way, taking the creator's advice and tips and using them on our own or on others' bodies, and we might be watching their videos over and over again, rewinding and replaying.
Speaker 2: They've had a definite impact on creator culture on YouTube. A lot of hair YouTubers like Whitney White, also known as Natural eighty five, are ogs in the YouTube content creation lane.
Speaker 1: They became more than just people who knew how to do hair. They were bloggers, influencers, entrepreneurs. They started getting paid the big bugs, by sponsors and YouTube itself. Once they started doing numbers, their recommendations bought or not drove many of their adherents to purchase items that they wouldn't even think about needing had their favorite YouTuber not used it in their latest upload.
Speaker 2: Girl and some of those products collected dust. Popularity came and went, some just fell out of favor, and some just weren't great to begin with.
Speaker 1: True, but we can't deny how these YouTubers filled a gap that was growing as more Black people embraced their natural hair journeys and sought a vice from bloggers. Not that we weren't embracing it before.
Speaker 2: See Black as Beautiful and the glorious froze of the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 1: For sure, It's just that the phrase slash concept of a natural hair journey was gaining steam as a measurable phenomenon in the early oughts. And speaking of airs and hair, this takes me into the next point, which is this one's pretty simple. Hair YouTubers are documentarians. They document changes in style over time. I can look back at videos from past years and see when Senegalese twists, Voho braids are band two knots were really popping. Through their videos, we get a timeline of black hair trends.
Speaker 2: And sometimes the YouTubers are the ones setting those trends.
Speaker 1: And amplifying them by sharing them and spreading them to wider audiences. So my next point is the last. But who would we be if we didn't make you wait to get it till after the break.
Speaker 2: We're ready for you.
Speaker 1: Last point, all right, this is my favorite one. That's why I saved it for last, is that as a whole, black YouTubers have used the art the storytelling to help us consider our relationship to our hair and how it evolves. They've made us think about how we best love on our hair, consider the reasons we want to reject perms and embrace the kinks or not. They've made us question our hair care practices and pay more attention to what we're doing to our hair and why. They've encouraged us to consider what brands we support, where we direct our money. They've given us direction when we needed it most and they've spurred innovation in the hair care industry. They have helped us think more critically and act more intentionally around black hair.
Speaker 2: And that's what the best storytellers do. Make you think more critically right and actually spur action in the real world. I know, seeing the girls with the big afros, you know, hair goals, hair goals, and now I can look and see myself with a big aufro. I'm like, dang, I'm really my own hair goals.
Speaker 1: Did you see yourself like this in the future when you first started watching them?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I wanted my hair to be long as it is, Like I wanted to be long month too, Like what's going on here? I think at first when you start looking at these YouTubers, you're really impatient. But now like on once your hair is like at the length where you're like, okay, I can like do these styles that I want to do. You're kind of like more relaxed about it, you know, but also like happy to see other people really experimenting with their hair. I don't experiment with my hair that much anymore, but being able to see how people like tell stories with their hair, Like there's that one girl who like does sculptures with her locks. You know that. Yeah, I've seen her, Like there's so many cool ways to do it. But then also just like living your life with your natural hair. It's like that's also like a story that we're telling is like a collective, right, because I think when like our parents was raising us and putting it on in perms in our hair, like that was like a different mindset that people were having. Absolutely, and so now like you don't really see little kids with perms like that.
Speaker 1: And I was singing the just for Me themes on the other day. Yeah, like that's how ingrained it was.
Speaker 2: They were it. You're like, dang, I want to look like her.
Speaker 1: When that yes, it poked out to the side, it hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like so to see that shift collectively is really interesting. And I liked what you said about these YouTubers being documentarians because I remember when the Lemonade raids was it, you know, like be yes, they had the girls shook when that hair, you know what I'm saying. So like being able to see those different iterations because you know, like YouTube's been around for a minute now, so it's it's really like a great archive of like what everyone was doing with their hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm not the fondest of this phrase, but I'm going to use it now anyway because I think it's fitting. They are kind of thought leaders in a way when it comes to hair. Because when you just said something about you wanted your hair to be really long, that made me think about how much we prioritize length. And I think a lot of that did have to do with the way that YouTubers were sharing. Like I know, a lot of that is also society things that are deeply ingrained in US, but I think there were so many like videos about length checks on YouTube. It's like okay, Liane check and the best way to do your line.
Speaker 2: Check white t shirt. Yeah, wear the same shirt every time.
Speaker 1: And different tips for being able to get your hair longer, like when that chebe thing got really big, like putting mud on your hair was something to You're looking at me like you have no idea what it is. Girl, that's how deep it goes.
Speaker 2: Please skip me.
Speaker 1: And I don't even know if I'm pronouncing it right, but it's just there have been so many things to help you with hair length, and so many YouTubers talking about how your hair is growing, it's about length retention, and this is how you keep it. Make sure you trimp. After that, it felt like there was a swing back toward your hair is great at any length, and I'm looking for people with TWA's who can do this. Are I feel like when I go to YouTube that I can't find people. I always see people who are doing styles that don't relate to me because I have four sea hair or something like that. So it's interesting to see how the thoughts that leaders on YouTube when it comes to hair start to resonate and ripple throughout black folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of like the I can't find someone with four sea hair conversation, one, I think with hair YouTube, there are a lot of like cliches and like tropes, Like you said, like your hair is growing, it's about retention, like people saying like the same thing over and over again. But then also I think, just like I think one of the major tennants maybe this was like a twenty tens YouTuber thing, and it's indicative of like larger issues in like black storytelling is like the racially ambiguous or like biracial person who just like has long, curly hair, not because of the routine they're doing just because like girl, you're mixed with white and your hair is gonna curl that certain way or elevated. But you see it perpetuating these like different ways of storytelling that you wouldn't think would seep into like someone's bathroom or bedroom, but the way that the audience reacts to them is very similar. I think.
Speaker 1: I think that reflects the way that it's changed over time, because there was an era, and you'll see in some of these people's videos that we mentioned in today's episode, like for a Natural eighty five who has a My Natural Haircare Journey video from like two thousand or nine years ago, so from a while ago where it was just her showing pictures of herself. There is no narration happening, there is her showing a tutorial, There is no edit of an intro in the beginning, music only played in specific spots. All of the things that come with videos that people make on hair YouTube today and over time that morphed into Okay, I understand, I'm a personality and people need to come to my page. Okay, I get subscribers and this is how I do it. Okay, YouTube's algorithm is changing. I feel like I can say with confidence that back then it wasn't as much about getting more people to see. They cared about sharing, of course that's why they posted it, but it wasn't so prioritized to gain more followers or gain more engagement. And also all of the hate that came with it afterwards. You know, they had to combat about against that over time too. So it's more I guess, freedom to be able to put up what you want, how you want, versus there's more thinking now around. Okay, I can't say this, I can't be this real. I can only be a little bit real. I have to be this authentic with the capital a that everybody use about people on social media these days, so people understand it as more of a storytelling platform now that is meant to be constructed, and that's why all of these expectations like you mentioned have entered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Internet has just changed since they first started, Right, Like people weren't personalities, people weren't getting so much money for like posting themselves doing their hair. But like once you know, all these sponsorships get involved, once you realize people can look at the view out your window and see what city you live in and you've said your last name a few too many times that they can pull up on you, like it really changes the dynamic of how you can share, even if it is about something like hair. It's also, I think, like a small microcus of just like how the Internet has changed and how we've changed along with the Internet.
Speaker 1: And there are videos now that people are posting about how hair YouTubers are struggling. So I just feel like now is a good time to think about this because I know they're still going you know, of course, they're still making videos about hair on YouTube, like their channels are still popping. I'm not saying that they're not, but it definitely is a different landscape now. But there are people who are posting videos saying content creators in the hairspace on YouTube are struggling, like it's harder for them to gain more views. People who should have bigger platforms haven't been able to get bigger platforms even though they've been working for a decade or even longer. And I just think it is fascinating and very admirable to see how something seemingly started from some such a noble place like sharing how to do hair and techniques for doing hair is such a familial and warm and intimate thing. I have so many, like fun and rich memories of getting my hair done as a child and struggling to learn podocormra, which I still don't know how to do. Yeah, I say no, I don't. I wish I did. I didn't learn how to break though, and that was you know, that was a struggle too. But I have so many good memories of that, And I think that people started wanting to as a genre, share this experience and this knowledge with other people. Is like exploding this culture that already existed. But it still feels personal. So we went straight to the source. We spoke with LaToya Eboni, who's been making haircare videos on YouTube since twenty ten.
Speaker 3: My name is LaToya Eboni. I am an online content creator, a professional actress as well as an organic skincare formulator soon to be hair care formulator.
Speaker 1: Can you take us back to when you first decided to start a YouTube channel? What were you feeling, What were some of the ideas that were going through your mind, What was the support and maybe lack of support that was happening. Can you just take us through what that time was like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was in grad school studying acting and teaching. And I remember one day I was in class and I just kind of looked around and some of my female like counterparts would just show up to class with their hair like still wet, you know, slapped it back in a ponytail. Meanwhile, I had, like, not only was I doing prep for, you know, the work at hand, but I'm like making sure my hair is in a ball and all the things. Like I'm putting so much effort into how I show up. And I remember looking around being like, wait, I am doing the most. Meanwhile, everyone else seems to be very comfortable just showing up as they are, including their hair. And when you're in graduate school for acting and you're studying the craft of acting, you have to do a lot of self reflection, a lot of self work in order to take on different characters and being sort of these fantastical worlds. And I was doing a lot of writing and self reflecting. And I remember being at home and I was about to go get my relaxer touch up. And I'm living in South Carolina, by the way, and I remember thinking like, why am I so ashamed of my hair? Why are we collectively as a people the people that I grew up with. Why are we so ashamed of showing up as we are? And of course there's a whole lot of historical context around that, But I really wanted to start the journey for myself and kind of find out, like what's underneath all of these like these weaves and wigs and chemical treatments. I had no idea really what my hair looked like outside of the new growth that was coming in before I decided to like chemically relax it.
Speaker 2: I'm curious to know how your acting training, how that translates into your YouTube channel, because I think that's a pretty unique angle to come into it with. I know a lot of influencers might get into acting, but that was your start. So how did that influence you?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, So when I started acting, it was and so it's not it's a different medium than being on camera, but I knew that I wanted to do like more film and television, so I was used to critiquing myself watching myself, you know, So for me, I think there wasn't necessarily the intimidation factor of being seen, So that was that was definitely a big plus and a big help. But I will say that the way that it influences me is through storytelling. I think of things and acts. So you know, there's the you know, beginning, middle, end, or like chapters of a book. Right, So it's like act one you present the problem or the subject of the story. Act two you are like going through the trials and tribulations of whatever that you know the subject is, whether it's like testing a product, doing a hair tutorial, telling telling a story. Act three is typically like the conclusion after the big climax, right, what was the result? And then the conclusion is is like the final act would be my thoughts and feelings behind what happened, and then we end curtained.
Speaker 2: Down, say really trying to take folks on a journey with you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I do. And it wasn't something that was in the beginning intentional. I think that's just how my mind works. And then as I got more and more into content creation and what engages viewers, I think became a lot more solidified.
Speaker 1: Are there any other creators that you look to, maybe in the past or today when you're creating your haircare videos YouTube?
Speaker 3: Ooh okay, So in the past, I African Export was one that I looked at there was another called her. Her name was like unique unique, something uniquely or you after young Unique, I think, I want to say. And there was oh my gosh, none of these people create content anymore, by the way. So and there weren't a lot of people who had my hair type. There were people who were close, but not really like four C except for maybe African Export I'd say colored Beautiful. She did some hair content back in the day as well. Uh. And of course I look at other people and other niches, but today I'm gonna be honest. I don't watch a ton of people except for my YouTube friends. So there's Jim Jackson, we have four Sea hair. We're pretty close friends. There is Nappy Fu her real name is Grace. I watch her her channel as well. We're also close friends. Fay in the City. I love her personality. I love how she injects yeah, she just she has a great personality. And Charae del Soul I would say she doesn't have the same kind of hair hair type. I believe her is this looser, but I really enjoy her her content as well, and the hairspace.
Speaker 2: I'm curious, like putting on your actor hat and your YouTuber hair. What archetype do you see yourself as? Like are you the hero, the lover, the everyman? Like, what do you see yourself when you're on YouTube as well?
Speaker 4: I'm always the hero and we're the main character here. Okay, but you know, it really is a hero's journey, and I have to think about it in the concept of like the long term. There's the individual video of like the hero's journey, right the things that happen. But I've been doing this for like thirteen years. That's a long time, and you know, starting in the beginning, it literally was only exploration and being excited about like the small things, like the things that seem small to me. Now like I got my first afro puff, the first time I did a quail out, my big chop, and all of those sort of like emotional.
Speaker 3: Investments and things like that. Right now, it's a lot more research and diving deeper and you know, like how many times can I do a twist out? And I'll still do them, but you know, now it's about the science of hair and you know, how do we keep it healthy? Certain products, how they may or may not benefit you, my my you know, product reviews, things like that, so it's changed, but I mean we always got to have a little drop at least some some you got You've got to be entertaining, you know. But yeah, I'm always the main character.
Speaker 1: So I want to hear about your relationship with the YouTube hair care creator community, all the people who love y'all, who engage with y'all, who have been rooting for y'all, and like sticking with y'all throughout all the years. I know there have been a lot of changes. There are a lot of trends. There's a lot of accountability holding for what like the creators we care about and that teach us share with us, like you know, people relaxing right now, all kinds of trends. So what is your experience of those ups and downs with the community or your community specifically.
Speaker 3: I got to give a shout out to anyone who chooses to do natural hair content. It is challenging because it can be so emotionally charged on so many levels, especially for people of color, and navigating those spaces when you're speaking about sensitive topics and even how you show up on camera and you represent your hair type, people will pick things apart. And I think when I first started, you were a lot more able to just be yourself and there wasn't so much sensitivity around everything that you say, and now I have to be very cognizant. So yeah, it's a really challenging space, but it's also a beautiful space. This is the space in which I learned about myself, I learned about my community more, I learned from other creators, especially in the time where people with type four hair just weren't really welcome in hair salons unless you were trying to get locks or braids. People just even today, really aren't willing to deal with the length of time it takes to do type four hair. And there are so many licensed cosmetologists out there and hairstylists should I say, that are just not experienced and are completely intimidated looking at our hair. And it's not just white people, it's black people, you know. The discrimination is real. And so being able to turn to a platform like YouTube where there's other creators that are sessing through any challenges with their hair and teaching how to get it healthy, how to make it grow, how to style it has just been such a treat and really invo valuable. So shout out to all the creators out there more after the break.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about all of the different kinds of tropes that come up in the visual storytelling of YouTube haircare. So like, I don't know, the slow turn, the glam intros, you know, the before and the afters. What are some of those tropes that you really like and have been as maybe have been inspired by, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Think for comedic effect, I'll use slow B role. I think I did that a little bit earlier in my career, where I'll be like touching my hair and I'll be like the slow falling of the hair. I would make fun of it by like putting almost like porn esque music, like just making fun of it. But uh, in terms of editing, I use a lot of B role. B role is so important, and especially when you're on a visual platform, people want to see what you're talking about. They don't just want to hear it, So B role is so important for that. I do a lot of fast cuts to keep the engagement there. People's attention spans are just shorter and shorter, so I do a combination now of long form and short form videos on all all of my platforms.
Speaker 1: I know that there also have been a lot of changes to the YouTube platform itself. I'm wondering if any of those changes have been particularly positive or negative, and how have you responded to those.
Speaker 3: For YouTube? YouTube is the goal. I'm just going to say this because I feel like of all of the platforms, the people who are in charge of creator success and whatever that looks like, I feel like they really take care of their creators the best. Like my largest sort of passive income checks come from YouTube as opposed to any other platforms. Some platforms don't even pay, So there's that. As far as protections against like bullying, racial slurs, like being able to I guess blacklist certain words, certain phrases has been so helpful. The introduction of YouTube Studio so that I could see comments in real time, because once you have a lot of videos, you just you're not going back to your older videos. So when you use an app like YouTube Studio, you can see the newer comments a lot easier. So it helps me stay engaged with my audience. But I would say an area of opportunity that these platforms have would be protections against original content and reposting and making sure that creators get their credit and that they get a piece of the views. I mean, historically, people of color have had so many ideas stolen from them, and you know, I want the original creators to get that credit.
Speaker 1: Did you have any mentors, any YouTube haircare creator mentors when you were first starting?
Speaker 3: No, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I actually didn't find my tribe of people until like much later on, when I was already established.
Speaker 1: I think I'm thinking about that because I feel like now it seems to be at least from the outset looking in, like a lot of people you know, shout out to other people that they know that are helping them and give them tips. But it's probably because there's so much more structure around it now and people are like, you know, they can create courses about how to do this thing that it's easier for them to access help, which is probably a good thing that happened. If it weren't for people who just tried to figure it out on their own before, then this wouldn't even be possible today.
Speaker 3: Absolutely agree. Yeah, there just wasn't no one I when I turned on my camera in twenty ten, no one I knew was doing this. People were making fun of me. I was working for support at the time as a I was a certified makeup artist there and my friends or my coworkers, I would call them, you know, when they found out that I was doing YouTube videos. You know, they knew and they would say sly remarks or about you know, these YouTube makeup artists and things like that. It was it was, you know, and then fast forward like five years later, they're asking for advice. So I think, you know, I think that you just got to do what you what you have to do, whether you have help or not. You know, I think women, Black women in particular, were very resourceful. We've gotten through a lot, and you know, sometimes people don't want to help until you've put some sweat equity into it, you know, that's the nice way of putting it.
Speaker 2: I think that also go back to what you were talking about with not being afraid of being seen and your actor training helping you with that, because I can see if you're going to work every day and some folks are, you know, making fun of you, Like someone who didn't have that mindset would be like, okay, let me stop, like this is silly, but you were like, nah, I'm gonna keep doing it. And like you said, five six years later they want your help m hm.
Speaker 3: For me, it was an outlet that I wasn't willing to let go. You know, as an actor in particular, or even working at a job, you're relying on someone else to pay you, someone else to say yes, that you're good enough that you can do the job. And when I turn on my camera, there are very there's very low barriers. I turned on my camera. If as long as you have internet and a little bit of equipment, you're there. And so there was no way I was going to let some sly remarks get to me and you and I had I didn't know what YouTube would become. I wasn't getting paid to do anything. I wasn't doing brand deals or anything like that. That stuff just what didn't exist, especially for black and brown people. When we started finding out that like the Juicy Stars and the glitter Whoever's of the world, you know, we're getting paid. We weren't getting paid then, and when we were getting paid, it was pennies. So yeah, I did it because it was an outlet. It was something I had control over, and you know, yeah, I wasn't gonna stop.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like YouTube haircare creators get the recognition that they deserve today.
Speaker 3: Yes, and no, I think that the community that has been helped absolutely uplifts natural hair creators. Absolutely. I think other creators uplift other creators. I think in terms of economics and how things work in business, Like for example, it's very rare that you'll see platforms like TikTok, Meta, Google actually giving recognition to natural hair creators. Google did recently. I was a part of natural hair creator like appreciation like playlist and all this, But I mean, those are those are small little recognitions. I would like to see the platforms do a better job because we really do bring a completely different flavor demographic. We bring the spice and they need us, and I think it would be nice to get a little bit more recognition publicly. And I would also say that hair care brands, I don't feel like they really, I don't know, we're not really getting our kudos for helping so many, especially like I mean, any hair company really, to be honest, but even the black owned brands, I've had a lot of disappointment in that area in which I will see, you know, like the shade moistures of the world and the you know, all of those not necessarily calling them out. They've never done anything to me. But you know, those companies that started being predominantly black owned, and we've talked about their products, we've recommended them, we've done it for free. And to have them be successful and reach these heights and turn around and say we don't have a budget for you, while they have a budget for celebrities, a budget for billboards, a budget for everything else except for investing into the very people that invested in them. That's hurtful, very hurtful. There's a lot of opportunity there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've noticed that with brands. It's like they're happy to get their free promo, but when it's time to, you know, pay what it's worth. Because I'm more inclined to believe a YouTuber showing me their process versus a commercial, because like, of course you're going to say your product works well, but you know this YouTuber they are going through it and I can see the before and after, I can see the slow mo and see what it's hitting on, you know what I'm saying. So it's it's interesting that that's what the that's what the I guess ethosis for a lot of these companies and like you said, hopefully that changes soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because a lot of haircare creators have quit. It's just not sustainable. You know, the people who are doing more lifestyle content, who are you know talking about big brands and you know there they have the money, they have the budget, they have the checks, and they're willing to invest into creators. They typically don't really come our way unless it's a Black History Month, but you know, were working on that.
Speaker 1: Would you recommend a black person getting into hair care on YouTube? Yes?
Speaker 3: And no. I think that I think that we need to see more change so that it could be sustainable for black creators. You know, we have bills to pay just like everyone else, and we need to be recognized that we have businesses too. We may be relatable, but it's still a business. I think that if you if you're going to go into natural hair care, you have to be aware of the sensitivities of the topics because there's a lot of there's a lot of energy behind what some people say. You have to be aware that a lot of brands won't be willing to pay you as much as your white counterparts. You just have to go into it with your eyes wide open. And eventually get to a space where, honestly, for me, you create something of your own and you start creating opportunities for other people.
Speaker 1: Does it make you happy this work? It does? It does?
Speaker 3: I think you can't be a creator and hate it. It shows way too much. We all can see when people are kind of going through the motions that are burnt out. I love having the control over this story. I love telling stories. I love being able to turn on my camera and connect with people all around the world. I love the impact that I'm able to create, and I love the few opportunities for other people that I'll hopefully be able to employ and help along with this process. So I absolutely love it. I wouldn't change I wouldn't change anything so far. It takes grit, determination, persistence to do anything really in this world. But to put yourself out creatively, it takes something in you that you can't let anybody else touch. You do the work that you love, that edifies you, that fills you, that feeds your soul, and you focus on the people, and that is what's going to keep you going.
Speaker 2: And now it's time for role credits, the segment where we give credit to a person place or thing we encountered during the week, and we have our guests with us. But first, Eves, who are what would you like to give credit to today?
Speaker 1: I like to give credit to working outside. So I just got a new computer and finally I am not stuck to either, you know. I'm grateful for them, of course, but like I wasn't able to move around as much, so I don't have to just be at my desktop inside working anymore. I can enjoy the sunlight and the fresh air and also the bugs that come around. Because I am in Georgia, y'all, and it is hot outside, but it's nice. I've been working outside a lot, So that's what I like to give credit to today.
Speaker 2: How about you, LaToya, I'm going.
Speaker 3: To give credit to my husband, Ja Cuserles. We're both entrepreneurs. We're both navigating the space. He's talking to investors and all the things, and he's teaching me so much about business. And that's the thing. The thing that I love about our relationship is not only do we fulfill each other in a sort of romantic way, he has made it a point to pass down his knowledge from meetings and opportunities, and he wants to see me win just as much as I want to see him win. And that's the kind of partner that I needed. And he's a wonderful father too, So I'm gonna shout him out. Shout out to all the good husbands out there and strong, beautiful black man.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would like to shout out the Creative Commons license slash public domain, especially for things that are like not old, that are in there, Like I'm one hundred percent here for people getting their payments for their.
Speaker 1: Art they're created.
Speaker 2: But if you put your stuff in Creative Commons license or public domain before it automatically gets in there, shout out to you, because that has helped me so much this week. And I'm always so pleasantly surprised. I'm like, what, this isn't the this isn't the public domain? Oh my god, I'm so excited. But yeah, I love the knowledge sharing, the art sharing that is going on with that license. So that's what I would like to shout out to. And where can people find you?
Speaker 5: On the interwebs so many places, so if on pretty much every platform, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, you can search LaToya ebenie or LaToya ebeni haare and I will pop up.
Speaker 3: Have two YouTube channels, LaToya Ebnehair and LaToya Ebenie. And for my company you can look up Someday Sunday dot com.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for joining us. This is really fun.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. Have a great day YouTube Bye Bye.
Speaker 1: On Theme is a production of iHeartRadio and Fairweather Friends Media. This episode was written by Eves Jeffco and Katie Mitchell. It was edited and produced by Tari Harrison. Follow us on Instagram at on Themeshow. You can also send us an email at hello at on Theme dot show. Head to on Themed Show to check out the show notes for episodes. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.