Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Karen, Election Day is here. More than eighty one million votes have already been cast in one of the closest and most divisive presidential campaigns this country has ever seen. Now, for Kamala Harris and Donald Trump, all that's left to do is to watch and wait as millions more Americans turn to their polling places and vote in person. The Vice President spent the last day of her campaign in Pennsylvania. Her final rally was at the Philadelphia Steps made famous in the movie Rocky.
Speaker 3: America is ready for a fresh start, ready for a new way forward where we see our fellow American.
Speaker 4: Not as an enemy, but as a neighbor.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harris was joined by a parade of celebrities, including Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey.
Speaker 5: If we don't show up tomorrow, it is entirely possible that we will not have the opportunity to ever cast a ballot again.
Speaker 2: Earlier, pop star Katie Perry headlined a rally for Kamala Harris in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 6: I Know she will protect my daughter's future, and your children's future, and our family's future. So Pittsburgh, let's ring Kamala Harris the next president of the United States.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harris also held events in Allentown and Scranton before arriving in Pennsylvania's two largest cities. She will watch the results roll in tonight at her alma mater, Howard University in Washington, d c.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan Donald Trump also had his site set on Pennsylvania. In the campaign's final day, the former president held his own rally in Pittsburgh. And he's already accusing Democrats of trying to rig the election.
Speaker 7: This is that big, powerful, vicious party of them, vicious machine. I mean, they can take all these bad ideas and win elections.
Speaker 3: It's like, there's only way you could do that.
Speaker 8: One way.
Speaker 1: There's only one way. Donald Trump also had rallies in Reading, Pennsylvania and Raleigh, North Carolina, where he told supporters the election is theirs to lose. He closed out his campaign in the same place he ended his runs in twenty sixteen and twenty twenty, Battle Creek, Michigan.
Speaker 9: We have a silent majority, but we're just sort of speaking up.
Speaker 10: This has showed that the level of enthusiasm is five times greater than their level.
Speaker 1: And on this election day, Donald Trump will head back to his home state of Florida to watch the results roll in from the Palm Beach Convention Center.
Speaker 2: And Karen Trump has picked up one more endorsement from popular podcast hosts Joe Rogan. Bloomberg's Derek Wallbank has more on the impact of celebrity nods.
Speaker 11: I think a lot of these are baked in right If you listen to Joe Rogan's podcast where he's had on Trump and Elon Musk and all sorts of other people like that, you probably we're voting for Donald Trump anyway. I'm not sure that there's somebody who sits there right now who says, oh my goodness, Joe Rogan said something, I'm going to go vote the way that he does. You know, ditto Taylor Swift, but you know, for Kamala Harris. But you can see some of these move the needles, and sometimes they really do. Now, Harris has made a very big show of having a lot of former Republicans who are with her. Liz cheneyus one of those. And Trump has done the exact same thing in reverse Chelsea Gabbert, the former Hawaii congresswoman who at one point ran for president as a Democrat, as well as RFK Junior.
Speaker 2: To that point, Bloomberg's Eric Wallbank notes Joe Rogan endorsed Bernie Sanders in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan. The battle for control of the US Congress has top ten billion dollars as the two parties buy for power and influence over taxes, spending, the president's agenda, and more. Bloomberg's Amy Morris brings us a preview of this Senate races from Washington.
Speaker 3: Republicans are currently favored to gain the Senate majority based on a favorable map. Key races to watch include Montana, where three term incumbent John Tester has trailed Republican newcomer Tim Sheehey, Ohio, where Shared Brown is defending his seat against car dealer Bernie Moreno, and the wild Cards. Democrats need upset wins in Texas, Florida, or Nebraska, where the race is neck and neck. Democrats would also need to keep their seats in the presidential blue wall battlegrounds of Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan, where the races have tightened also in Arizona and Nevada. In Washington, Amy Morris Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Amy, thanks, let's turn to Wall Street. Now see how markets are faring. Is millions of Americans get ready to cast their ballots. Bloomberg's John Tucker joins us from New York.
Speaker 10: John and Nathan Trader's taking a pretty cautious approach as the polls are said to open. Mike Wilson of Morgan Stanley says a number of different scenarios could play out.
Speaker 12: Minds have sold off probably too much, and the renewables and things like consumer goods companies will be here by Tariffs have really been hammered. So if Harris wins, you could see really a pretty big rebound in some markets, you know. So there's a lot of permutations here.
Speaker 10: Coin toss election. He is leading some hedge funds to favorite currency options that will gain from a weaker dollar should Harris win the presidency. Chris weston Pepperstone Group says the US dollars probably the cleanest expression of the election. Then you have an index of the dollar that is down a tenth of a percent this morning. It fell by the most in more than a month yesterday, as investors walk back bets on a Trump win meantime, shares of Trump media right now there are up over five percent pre market. And then there are the prediction markets. They put the odds at one in three that the election can't be called until after Wednesday in New York. I'm John Tucker, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, John, thank you well. Join us for complete cover to the election results tonight. It kicks off at five pm Eastern with a special two hour edition of Balance of Power, followed by coast to coast Team Bloomberg coverage at seven pm. Get live election results in analysis with context on Bloomberg Radio, Television and the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: Well, Karen, there's been one more important vote for a new labor contract at Boeing. It's approved, the strike is over, and shares are up more than two percent this morning. Let's get the latest on the piece at Boeing with Bloomberg's Lisa Matteo.
Speaker 4: Lisa, good morning, Nathan. After fifty three days hourly workers, well, they can start returning to factories in Washington, Oregon, and California as soon as tomorrow. District seven to fifty one. President John Holden called it a win for the union.
Speaker 7: They secured a victory. They voted by fifty nine percent to accept the agreement, and they get to move forward. The strike will end, and now it's our job to get back to work and start building the airplanes, increase the rates, and bring this company back to financial success.
Speaker 4: Now, So mesamt's say, the walkout cost bowing about one hundred million dollars a day in lost revenue. The new labor contract that includes a thirty eight percent wage increase over four years and enhanced retirement contributions. New CEO Kelly Ortborg, he will praise the President Joe Biden congratulated both sides for coming together.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Jeffrey's analyst estimates Boeing faces about one point one billion dollars in higher salary costs over four years under the deal. Lisa Matteo, Bloomberg Radio, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Lisa, thank you. Another stock on the move this morning is Pallenteer, and those shares they're up almost thirteen percent. The company reported quarterly revenue above estimates and raised its forecast for operating income in the current period. Pallunteer sites high demand in the US for its artificial intelligence software. Time now for look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr or Michael good morning.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Karen. Officials have been preparing for months to keep pole workers safe on this election day. This volunteer is in the battleground state of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Blessedly my sixteenth election that I've worked at poles on real concern about safety.
Speaker 3: I never was afraid before to work the pole. This year, I'm a little bit nervous.
Speaker 13: In Durham County, North Carolina, they have new safeguards in place the elections directors as they implemented de escalation alert badges for all of the chief judges and site coordinators to wear. If they pressed the button, it immediately connects to nine to one one. Russia is reportedly accused of planting devices designed to catch fire on cargo planes bound for the US and Canada. According to The Wall Street Journal, Western officials say the incendiary devices were shipped via DHL as part of Russia's covert sabotage campaign against Washington and its allies. Two of the devices reportedly ignited at DHL Logistics subs in July, one in Germany and another in the UK. Former Pentagon senior official Steve Ganyard says, if successful, Russia could have grounded all flights between Europe and North America.
Speaker 2: This is an extraordinarily dangerous move by Russian military and time intelligence.
Speaker 14: To do something like this could potentially bring down an airliner.
Speaker 13: Former Pentagon senior official Steve Ganyard spoke to ABC. South Korea says North Korea has launched more missiles, this time short range missiles toward its eastern Sea. Last week, they tested what they claimed was an ultimate ICBM capable of reaching the US mainland with energy and sports drinks and coffee drinks popular among teens. New study finds the rate of kids visiting hospital emergency rooms for caffeine overdoses has about doubled since twenty seventeen. Stanford Children's health doctor A. Luke Pattel says children are not heating warnings about too much caffeine.
Speaker 15: Went in doubt, take the can, turn it around and look to see how many milligrams of caffeine are in that beverage, or go online and look it up before giving your child or teen, any beverage, you should absolutely know what's in.
Speaker 13: It, Doctor Pittel told ABC. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends teens consume no more than and one hundred milligrams of caffeine daily. That's about a cup of coffee a day. Global News twenty four hours a day, and whenever you wanted with the Bloomberg News. Now, I'm Michael barrn. This is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 1: All right, Milchael barr thank you time now for the Bloomberg Sports up date, brought to you by Trient State Outy. Here's John Stanshower. John, Good morning, Give morning Karen.
Speaker 9: There's never been a Super Bowl three p Kansas City Chiefs certainly look capable of being the first to do and Monday football in casey Patrick Mahomes three touchdown passes, two went their recent acquisition DeAndre Hopkins, Travis Kelcey fourteen catches, one hundred yards. Tampa Bay tied the game, scoring with twenty seven seconds left and then kicked off and overtime.
Speaker 8: Never got the balls. The Chiefs went down the field.
Speaker 10: Here is hunt for the touchsdown. Kansas City remains Unbeatenay no, it'll win it over time.
Speaker 9: The ESPN Chiefs beat the Bucks thirty to twenty four. They signed Kareem Hunt during this and he had over one hundred yards on the ground and that game winning TD. So the Chiefs are eight and o. The Saints were once two and over. They've lost their last seven. They fired coach Dennis Allen. Assistant Darren Rizzy takes over Cowboys just three and five, yet to win at home, and now they'll play the next several games without Dak Prescott hamstring injury. Cooper Rushed becomes the starting QWB in Dallas. No NBA tonight busy Monday slight, including the next end of a three game road trip, losing in Houston one on nine ninety seven. Jalen Brunson led the next with twenty nine. The Nets pulled out on one of the sixty one oh four home went over Memphis Celtics now seven and one, they won by thirty. In Atlanta, Golden State beat the Wizards. Cleveland top Milwaukee by two. The Cans are eight to o.
Speaker 8: Devil's three nothing winning Edmonton opening night.
Speaker 9: In college basketball, Saint John's blew out four h Tom ninety two to sixty, much closer for Seaton Hall fifty seven to fifty three over Saint Peter's. Two days after Garrett Cole opted out of his Yankee contract, He's now back in with a new deal expected.
Speaker 8: John Stanshanwerre Bloomberg Sports carry Nasty.
Speaker 16: Coast to Coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Syrias XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: One of the most divisive and most unpredictable presidential campaigns in American history has finally reached the finish line for Donald Trump and Kamala Harris.
Speaker 9: We're going to have the greatest victory in the history of our country.
Speaker 3: It is time for a new.
Speaker 2: Generation of leadership in America. A former president and vice president closed out their campaigns last night in Battle Creek, Michigan and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, respectively. This morning, we are joined by Terry Haynes, the founder of Pangaea Policy and Terry, we've gotten the first official results of election twenty twenty four. By tradition, Dixville Notch, New Hampshire, and mirroring the polls. It's three votes apiece for Harris and Trump. Is that a signal of what's to come?
Speaker 8: After all? The closed tonight? Good morning?
Speaker 14: Well, it's good morning, Nathan as Nick Dixville. Notch goes, so goes the nation? Right, Yeah, I think, you know, I do think it's going to be closed. I think what we end up with, though, is, you know, for markets, in terms of importance, seventy percent split politically split Washington and about sixty percent likely Harris wins. The reason I put the split Washington first is because markets want to understand policy results and want to be able to anticipate them. And what you get out of what you get out of a politically split Washington in this case, a barely democratic House and a barely democratic Senate is really the remixed policy status quo from the last few years that's probably negative for fiscal negative for tax among other things.
Speaker 2: Want to be clear, you're calling for a barely democratic Senate.
Speaker 14: Barely democratic House, I'm sorry, in a tiny majority Republican Senate in both of these cases. You know what this really comes down to is gravity. You've got a situation where there's Democrats are defending eight eight Senate seats that are competitive. Can they get them all? Yes? Will they get them all? That's unlikely. And in the House, where you've got one sixth of the seats that are competitive and twenty two pure toss ups, it's you know, I think it's likelier than not that the majority changes hands, but not that it's a huge difference or some sort of blowout.
Speaker 2: You've been calling sixty percent Harris for quite some time. The final polls seem to show a little bit of a narrowing, perhaps in Harris's favor. What's the possibility that the odds could tip Trump's way?
Speaker 14: Well, there, you know, I have Trump at forty percent, and I don't discount Trump's chances at all. What you've got is a situation with in polling. Think about this two ways. One is that the poles are taught, but the polls all have margins of era of four percent. So if there's margins of error at play in some ways, somehow, some way, either in Harris's direction or Trump's direction, you know, that produces a very different sort of result. Secondly, let's remember that the highest turnout we've ever had was in twenty twenty and that was a sixty six percent, which introduces its own skew, since what you're looking at in a poll is the assumption and likely voters that nearly all of them show up, but if two thirds of them show up, that introduces another skew. So, you know, my view of the race has simply been that, you know, Harris's enthusiasm, her message, discipline, her ability to turn out the vote probably enables her to eke out a win over Trump.
Speaker 2: Just thirty seconds left, we've already had more than eighty one million Americans turn out to vote in early voting.
Speaker 8: What does that tell you about how the result could come down?
Speaker 14: Generally speaking, what we've had is from two thousand to today, we've had about fifteen percent increase in voting turnout overall, and that that has generally benefited Democrats, you know, going back to elections, you know that's not a guarantee by any means, but generally speaking, Democrats have done very well when turnout is up.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning on Apple Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two to nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android Atto interfaces.
Speaker 1: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long.
Speaker 3: I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 8: And I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Debreak