Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. Welcome home, y'all. This is episode of Native Lampod where we give you our breakdown of all things politics and culture. I am your host for Kari Sellers along with my co host Angela RAI. How you feel? You've been traveling a lot? How you doing?
Speaker 2: I haven't traveling. Do you see this din in my head?
Speaker 1: What happened there? Well?
Speaker 3: I was wearing my Uh you got a head?
Speaker 1: I can't see it?
Speaker 3: Wow? Anyway, I have I was wearing my higher dose hat for red light therapy for my hair, so I can keep my ask is that d.
Speaker 1: I want to do a show on red light therapy because I've been seeing a lot of things.
Speaker 4: Do it?
Speaker 3: I have so many things.
Speaker 2: I have the face mask, I have the hat.
Speaker 3: Does it work the well Matt, Yes, it's amazing. This does not work for me though, So guys, just I'm going to try to keep my head.
Speaker 1: I feel really good. I feel really good to day. I did hot yoga. That's my therapy. You did, Yeah, I'm hot yoga three four time a week.
Speaker 2: That's a good beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, helps my heart. So anyway, the rundown for today things will be talking about. When I woke up this morning, I saw a tweet that said that Chuck Edwards ends his reelection bid in North Carolina. By the way, filing is over, primaries are over. So why would somebody who is a member of Congress in their reelection bid overnight. It's because that Ethics Committee investigation was coming back talking about sexual harassment in a hostile work environment. So idios Chuck Edwards in the western part of North Carolina. Ohio Republican Senate candidate Max Miller. Actually he's not a Senate candidate. Max Miller is a House candidate, but he answers questions about alleged child abuse on CNN with Jake Tapper. Now his father in law is in the Ohio Senate. We'll get into all of that. Trump administration is ending the Medicare Part D subsidy, which is used to keep prescription drug prices in check. I want to talk to Mark Cuban about that one day. But the crazy part about this is they were going to protect Medicare now they're not. Forbes put together a list to the twenty biggest money getters in podcasting. Angela Raie was number twenty one, so she didn't make the list.
Speaker 3: Focus I was not on that list.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it.
Speaker 3: What I want to be in that number? Marching to the top podcast list.
Speaker 1: Haitian immigrants in Ohio being forced to wear ankle monitors. That's wild. Microsoft warrens travelers about using Hotel Wi Fi and Darlene Graham in her first debate as candidate for South Carolina's Senate seat. Also later in the episode, we'll get into our favorite topic this cycle.
Speaker 2: Can you didn't even make a complete thought, Darlene?
Speaker 1: What Graham in her first debate is candidate for South Carolina senency.
Speaker 3: That is not the headline. The headline is she's one hundred percent with Trump.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't. I mean, we can talk about that too. But the headline is that their first debate, and she's actually said subject verb Trump the entire debate. She looked very weak up there. But we'll see what happens and later and later in episode we'll get into what we always talk about, which is what prets. We'll talk about between now and January of two thousand and nine, Modern Democrats versus.
Speaker 3: Progressive two thousand and nine.
Speaker 1: I mean twenty nine, sorry, twenty twenty nine after the presidency. I mean, are you with us.
Speaker 3: Or not me?
Speaker 2: I need to know you're ready for this job.
Speaker 1: I'm president, I'm president, accounted for twenty and twenty nine maind.
Speaker 3: Of confusing things, y'all, this is just the rundown. Please put called the rundown.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get through it all so we could talk about anyway. We're talking about moderi Democrats versus progressives, particularly what happened in Tuesday's primaries. We'll have Maurice Mitchell from the Working Families Party on to talk about the results and maybe have a little let.
Speaker 3: Me find out we're gonna need Timbaland and Swiss beats up buses.
Speaker 2: I'm tired of this versus.
Speaker 1: No, We'll be okay. It's a lot, it's too much. Uh the start off? I want to play this clip from Jake Tapper where Ohio House candidate and congressional member Matt Miller.
Speaker 3: Are you starting off? F y s A.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do we have to call it such? Did you tell? I mean I just figured they know. Anyway, Now it's time.
Speaker 3: This is rough.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, guys.
Speaker 1: Anyway, now it's time. Now It's time for your situational awareness also known as PAISA, PISA, f y s A. Is that? Is that okay? Is that okay? Now?
Speaker 3: I just missed I miss Andrew when you say FIZA, because do you guys always call it FISA and this is not the real FISA, It's f YSA. But anyway, miss you, uh.
Speaker 1: My, my guy. We're going to start with the Ohio congressman and House member candidate Max Miller.
Speaker 2: Is there not need to be bigger? What the is the problem?
Speaker 3: This nothing?
Speaker 1: I'm just talking through it. Can you roll the clip? Can you the clip? Can you roll the clip? Nick? Please? Thank you?
Speaker 5: Because there is a police report from the suspected child of youse incident in February involving your daughter, and that report details that the child protection team says that your child had to write classical fracture and quote a bruise that accompanies the injury that appears to be in a handprint and appears to have been inflicted unquote. Now, your ex wife stated to police that your child told her in the days leading up to the discovery of the injury quote daddy kill you. And your ex wife also said your child had said daddy angry and Daddy's house is scary. Now, according to your wife, your daughter articulated these statements to children in family services. So can you explain why your child may have said those things?
Speaker 6: Jick, I wish you could talk to my beautiful baby girl. She can't string together sentences like that. She's two and a half years old. She doesn't have the ability to articulate any of what you just said. That is an entire fabrication of the truth. I have actual video, actual documentation. Didn't you just tell me that told me that she had said that she was scared to go to mommy's house.
Speaker 1: She knows and I have video of it.
Speaker 5: And now you're saying that she's not capable of saying daddy kill you. I mean, it seems like she's either because able to say one but not the other. That doesn't make sense, Jake, Max, Max, to be very direct, this is incredibly disturbing.
Speaker 6: I am not going to my child to say Daddy kill you. You have to look at the timing of everything that is taking.
Speaker 1: Place, right what about kid process.
Speaker 6: I have already been through these investigations and I know that I've said that now three times and we're kind of just blowing past this. But these are individuals who do their jobs to protect kids in the main job of the court, and the main job of Child Protective Family Services, and the main job of our judge who has been appointed to our divorce case is to make sure that our daughter is safe. And every single one of those individuals has agreed with me.
Speaker 1: Listen, let me give you a little let me give you a little context, and then I want to hear from you. So this individual, just so you know, Max individual is in the United States House. His wife is the daughter of United States Senator Bernie Moreno. Bernie Moreno, added a little context, says that he picked his granddaughter up from Max Miller's Sunday at the police station that we have to go to meet because I don't know what this guy is capable of. And Miller wouldn't hand over his daughter's favorite little blue bunny and literally held it hostage for forty eight hours. This is the man who's running for reelection in the great state of Ohio. Go ahead, Angela, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Think that the bunny hostage situation is a little bit not as important to me as the daddy kill you remark it's a stuff buddy or is it a real blue buddy.
Speaker 1: Stuff funny?
Speaker 3: Hey, Like, I can't put those on the same page. It's a false equivalence here going on. So sorry about the buddy, but I want the little girl to be safe in the mom he seems like a pathological liar in that clip. I also want to know why he represents Ohio and is in LA right now. I'm just curious. Maybe it has he's at a fundraiser or whatever. But then I want to know what hods are giving this dude money. Like he seems like a sociopath. So anyway, shout out to Jake our guy for a good interview. Daddy kill you needs to resign, though in the fact that he was like, why would I say daddy kill you, dumb ass? That's not what you said, That's what she heard. That's her repeating a back friend.
Speaker 1: And Bernie Moreno, never to be confused as anything other than a Trump Republican, had this to say about his son in law as well. If there are any basic standards of care to require to hold elective office, Max Miller fails them. He should not serve in the House of Representatives. I believe Max Miller needs to seek professional help to end the clear pattern abuse of abuse he has left in his wake. That's a lot of drama right there. You want to thank j six Er. Yeah, you wanted to talk about Microsoft, Angela, what you got I do?
Speaker 3: Speaking of violence, let me tell y'all about how these Russian hackers are trying to be all in your feed. Now when you log into hotel Wi Fi like mccari right now, Let's hope he stays with us. There's a page that's going to come up for Microsoft. It is going to try to get you to log in there. If you're at a hotel and a Microsoft page comes up, dead giveaway, you're about to be hacked.
Speaker 2: I think we have a clip for this.
Speaker 3: Let's roll it.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Michael. If you're traveling this summer, you might want to think twice before logging into the hotel Wi Fi. And a new alert, Microsoft is warning that it identified widespread compromise of Wi Fi networks at hospitality related organizations. Russian backtackers will use hotel Wi Fi networks to target travelers. The hackers create these fake pages that look like real Microsoft three sixty five logins, then they'll steal your credentials or send mailware, and these pages can look very realistic. Microsoft publish an example of a fake three sixty five Windows update that looks like this one there. Microsoft says you should assume that public and hotel wi fi networks might not be trust worthy.
Speaker 2: Using your phone.
Speaker 7: As a hotspot is a safer option, but make sure that you check your plans data allowance first, and if you are using three sixty five, consider passwordless log in options like passkeys or multi factor authentication.
Speaker 3: George, So, y'all be safe.
Speaker 1: You here, I'm a hotel WiFi right now, got me all nervous.
Speaker 3: Just make sure you don't use The main point is if you're at a Hyatt or Hilton or the Salamander or whatever, make sure that is what it says on the page. If it says Microsoft three sixty five, don't do it, y'all. You know these emails you keep getting that says you got a document. You know you not expected a document from Joe. Blow it safeway, don't open it. That's the bottom line, y'all. Just think through this, Okay, like this misinformation on Instagram, Just be careful.
Speaker 1: Be careful. Also, South Carolina, be careful, Darlene Graham. After saying she would not run for a full term, now she's saying she is going to run for a full term because her leadership is proven. She done nothing, y'all. But they did have their first debate. A bunch of Trumper still on stage of Blast from the Past was on stage, and another than mister lost on the Appalachian Trail, Mark Sandford, who is running for the United States Senate as well.
Speaker 3: Daddy wasn't even tracking that. That is funny, as he he'd have found his way back to glory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's he's running third or fourth right now in the polls. But listen to Darling Brown.
Speaker 2: Do he still got the girlfriend he went on and disappearing that way?
Speaker 1: No, It is the crazy part about it is his sins. His sins ain't even comparable to the ones we're watching right now play out in front of us.
Speaker 3: They're like, he all right, all right, it's here for forty eight hours.
Speaker 1: It's okay, It's okay. Playest clip from Darling and Graham is he mumble subject verb Trump.
Speaker 8: This one's easy. This is I think another reason President Trump endorsed me. I'll be glad to stand with President Trump. Anybody that's here ill in police, they need to be walked right back out of our country immediately. I'm all for supporting and funding ICE. I support law enforcement. President Trump has done a great job. These people, they take their jobs, They run up the cost of health care because they're receiving free health care. So again, I think President Trump has done a fabocary our borders, and I'll continue to.
Speaker 9: Stand with them.
Speaker 1: I mean, for Trumps and two citizens.
Speaker 2: That is there a song about gravity.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying I'm not doing that.
Speaker 3: I'm just wondering I should probably be quiet with this. Didn't in my forehead from my higher dose cap. But you know, maybe she needs like therapy.
Speaker 1: That's Darling Graham. That is Lindsey Graham's sister, who has spent the last few weeks grieving the loss of her seventy one year old brothers who adopted her when she was younger, her and her children, and now she's running for her Senate seat with no record. But the primary is actually next week on the eleventh, so voters don't even get a lot of time to better.
Speaker 3: If you guys just need a cautionary tale, just know that if you tell lies and if you work for bad candidates, your face will start sliding down. That's what I want you to know from that. What are we doing next?
Speaker 1: B Okay, one of the things that they ran on was not. One of the things they ran on was not bothering your medicare right. They were going to leave your Medicare alone. The Trump administration is ending the Medicare Part D subsidy in twenty twenty seven. The reason I felt so so so strongly about making sure that we talked about this today is because a lot of seniors that listen to this show, listen to this pod, They're the ones who are at risk from this cut. And what happens when this cut goes into effect if it does, is that your prices for proscription drugs will rise exponentially. Medicare Part D is the government's health insurance program for people who do not know, and it's used for tens of millions of elderly and disabled beneficiaries. This is something that CMS and mamett Oz also known as doctor Oz, have been working towards and making sure that they eliminate Part D. So for all of those elderly citizens, you know who voted for Donald Trump because he was going to be good for them. Make sure you show them a picture of this. And you know, it's not all about what he does to them or the brown folk at the border, but what he's doing to us too, poor folk, to old folks. It doesn't even matter. So watch out for Medicare party. He is getting a lot a lot of pushback from Republicans in the Senate, as you can imagine during an election year, but at the end of the day, it's his decision, you know.
Speaker 2: I just want to say something else.
Speaker 3: My grandmother used to love doctor Oz and she would be telling us what Doctor I said. I just need for all of the black grandmothers out there to know that this man is not on your side, and it's certainly not on the side of your medicare.
Speaker 2: That's all I want them to know.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to us about James Talerca.
Speaker 3: So on Breakfast Club Tuesday, I interviewed James Talerico with our brother Leonard and dear brother DJ Envy. Is a really amazing conversation and to me, one of the pain things that I've been hearing from folks in Texas is deep concern about the divide between and we've talked about on the show, the divide between he and Jasmine.
Speaker 2: He tried to put a lot of that to rest yesterday, and I.
Speaker 3: Commend some of what he said, but there is an elephant in the room that I want to get to as well.
Speaker 2: But let's roll this clip. First, two weeks ago, you were at a town hall.
Speaker 3: I know Keith Edwards came up, Rogue DNC came up, the folks who were adamant about attacking Jasmine online, and you said that you wanted them to keep Jasmine's name out of their mouths.
Speaker 2: Yes, the primary is over. Do you wish you would have said that sooner?
Speaker 10: The first day that the congressman got in the race, I put out a video on social media, sent it to our fifty thousand volunteers, send it to our entire campaign staff, every person who worked for the campaign, and you go back and watch it. It was in December, and I said that Congressman Crockett is my friend, she is a leader, and she deserves our utmost respect. And then I kept repeating it throughout the campaign because I kept seeing this vitriol on social media, and obviously I can't police every single comment section. But I can show leadership, and you know, I look back and it's possible I could have showed more leadership, because again, this is so much bigger than me. It's so much bigger than Congressman Crockett. I mean, we have to win this race. People are dying in our state because of policies that have been passed by the extremists in Texas, and so this is a lot bigger than any of us. And people online, especially people who don't live in Texas, who are just like pushing their own agenda or trying to make some kind of political point at our expense. I'm like, we don't have time for that. We have to win to help our people in Texas. And so whatever agenda you have, whatever clicks or likes you're trying to get on social media, take that elsewhere, because we have work to do in Texas.
Speaker 9: What it does help you campaign? Right, Like, Like, I want you to really answer this question. If you saw these coded I guess racial dog whistles that were undermining Jasmine Crockett, it doesn't really behoove you to step out there and be like, hey, don't do that, because you still.
Speaker 10: Want to win right, well, so I would disagree because attacks on the congresswoman I think make it harder for us to win this general election because the whole coalition has to be together. Like in Texas, there's no way for any one of our communities to win this election alone. And so we need Black Texans to win this race. And then if you know, when we win this race in November, I'll represent the most African Americans of any senator in the country. And so all these attacks have I think hurt our campaign, they have hurt our coalition, They've hurt our chances of winning in November. I still think we're going to win, but this has made it harder.
Speaker 9: I would say that was one of the racial dog wiss that they said that she wasn't electable, like you could win stay wide, but she couldn't.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 10: And I got asked about this on the view on national television and they asked me point blank, like do you think Congressman is elected?
Speaker 1: Boy?
Speaker 10: I said absolutely, And I said, you know, if she wins this primary, like I'm going to be behind her one thousand percent. Whis our relationship Now, obviously the primary was difficult. We've exchanged some messages. I was blown away by the fact that the morning after the primary, I mean like early the next morning, Congressman Crockett was out there with a statement endorsing me in the entire ticket. If I'm being very honest, I don't know if I if I could have done that the morning after, right, I would probably have to take up a day before I was ready to come out really and do that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it's hard because you said, you know, it's all about winning this of course.
Speaker 10: But I mean, but we're all still human beings, right, Like you can know the work is important and it can still hurt you personally.
Speaker 3: I think that.
Speaker 2: He had some answers that were compelling. I think the challenge that I.
Speaker 3: Have with the talleryco campaign now, And I am kicking myself because I didn't get a chance to come back and ask him about black staff, black vendors on this particular campaign. He's pledged to commit twenty five million dollars almost a month ago to galvanize and move black voters.
Speaker 2: There has been.
Speaker 3: There has been a push by black operatives and strategists, including our friend Ashley Aten, to get him to really focus in on this be accountable to this because that is the only way to truly repair. He's got to go out and talk to the voters that Jasmine had because of who she is and how she's represented them, he doesn't have those same relationships. He has done this with Latino voters, but he's not done it yet with Black voters. So the commitment is great, but there's got to be dollars behind that commitment, particularly when you look at what happened with the DNT autopsy. You don't want to repeat those same mistakes over and over again, state by state, city by city.
Speaker 1: I thought his answers. I listened to the whole interview. Like I said, I thought his answers were very compelling. He is someone who a lot like Pete Budage, gives a great interview like they really don't. They really don't have bad answers. They're able to put words together in ways that make you think and nod your head, and like I understand, you might not agree with everything, but the way they said it, it sounds good. It makes you feel good. I was not a lot and I just but I do wish you would have asked that question, because I mean, that question doesn't just need to be asked of him either, but he needs to be asked.
Speaker 3: Of every candidate and be I'm so mad because I threw it into an end of a question and I was gonna come back to it, but shout out to James sal Rico. Should he become senator? He damn sure ready because he could fill a bust. Okay, So he was going and for me, you know, I got add I forgot like I was and me and Lenard meant to ask him that.
Speaker 1: So we've seen we've seen campaigns raise one hundred million dollars and not create one black millionaire.
Speaker 2: I mean, and that's ridiculous that that should be.
Speaker 3: I'm with you. I think that we have got to do better about how we hold candidates accountable to that. We welcome, of course, James Talerco on this show, and we also welcome our next Why I say, topic.
Speaker 1: That's on you?
Speaker 3: Oh it is?
Speaker 1: What is it? It is? Capital one? Baby?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, let's go to it.
Speaker 3: So, y'all's dirty president who is a convicted felon who didn't have to serve any time. And I'm not mad at folks that have convictions on their record, but I am mad at this one. Because he stays cheating. Donald Trump had some accounts closed in twenty twenty one because Capital One says there were concerns over possible money laundering. This is according to an AP article. Several other authlets have reported on this. It flags financial activity that had characteristics of money laundering. This was of course disclosed in a court filing over the weekend. Capital One was sued by Trump and they're asking that the lawsuit be dismissed. So I just think this is fascinating because here he is suing these banks. There's also a suit where he's seeking damages of five billion dollars from JP Morgan. Your guys out here violating a monument, violating common sense, violating good morals, and just cheating, like a good old fashioned cheating.
Speaker 1: What people don't realize. And this is what I tell people when they come to me. They're like, man, I want to suit X y Z. I'm like, no, you don't, and they're like, yes, I do. They did me wrong, And I'm reminded, have you ever been through a discovery process? Hello, Like, not only do you get to ask them whatever they want, whatever you want to ask them, they get to ask you vice versa. And when you get under oath in a deposition, they can ask you literally anything under the sun, and your lawyer can object, but they gonna sit there and be like, you got to answer. I mean, you have to answer the question. And so that Donald Trump's going through that right now. He sued Capital One and Capital Blue and was like, bet their lawyer's real I bet. Let's go get this discovery. Let's go through this process and let's put you into oath and see what you got.
Speaker 2: Let's remind you of your money laundering ways.
Speaker 3: And this is part of when he was not president, So this should be something that he could be held criminally liable for should the FEDS, which that ain't gonna happen, investigate him for money laundering, which we know he probably hasn't engaged in allegedly, we'll say, because you know he's also litigious.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen next.
Speaker 1: So, No, we wanted to talk about the Haitians because I think we forgot a lot about them after jd Vance and after the election cycle where they disparaged our Haitian brethren in Ohio. But you put this, you brought this up, So I wanted you to talk about this that revoked TPS status for Haitian immigrants and what they got going on in Ohio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we know that. In June, the Supreme Court ruled on TPS, which is temporary Protected status for Haitian migrants and several other folks from other countries. This impacts more than three hundred and fifty thousand Haitians in our country. The Trump administration is giving Haitian migrants in Ohio two options. Either they can be immediately removed from the country, or they can be forced to wear ankle monitors. So Bakari, there is a clip of folks walking out of these offices with these ankle monitors on, after having been forced to make this very difficult decision to respond to remain in the country with an ankle monitor or leave immediately.
Speaker 11: Dozens of Haitian immigrants in Ohio are being tracked with ankle monitors. I just got back from filming in Blue Ash, a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio, where there's a DHS facility. This past week there have been rumors that there could be an ice surge across the state of Ohio. Those rivers got a bit more real today. Haitians have been receiving letters from DHS officials saying to report at summons at local DHS facilities in Cincinnati and Columbus. Any of these notices didn't explain why Ignite Peace, an organization based out of Cincinnati, organize a rally outside the DHS facility. From what we've learned, there's only been about several dozen or about fifty Haitian immigrants across the state that had to report to these summonings. What's strange is all those individuals have lived in the country for more than four or five years, have no criminal history, and they have pending asylum cases, meaning they have protections from deportation. Instead of being detained, they were all given ankle monitors and were told they cannot leave their residents more than seventy five miles and have to stay within the state of Ohio, and of course they were encouraged to self deport back to Haiti. They were also told they have to come back for a follow up in the next two or three weeks and not told any further details. Since this group is protected, it raised the question why are they being targeted? And with fifty thousand Haitians living in Ohio, it seems unlikely that DHS has their resources to outfit that many people.
Speaker 1: With ankle monitors.
Speaker 11: So what are we looking at here? Is some new scare tactic or some new ice strategy. What do you think is happening? Let me know in the comments below.
Speaker 3: This is a clip from journalists and photographer Eli Hiller thinking, Nick, this is devastating to see and those ankle monitors are like, that's such, it's such a mark of shame, you know. I just I really don't like how inhumanness is uns.
Speaker 1: That, I mean the inhumanity and you you you pose the question, and this isn't a pushback on you, but as a decision, But from any of these folks, it ain't no decision to go back to Hadio. Whether or not they walk around with an ankle monitor, they have to walk around with that mark of shame as you described it. But this is also another point in time where we wouldn't be knowing about this story. But for independent journalism as well, that's right, And so this is why when we talk about an individual journalism, when we talk about podcasts, when we talk about people even even our brother Don Lemon, who just has a camera walking around covering stories of great import This is why there's matters, and so my prayers go out to a country that we never thought we'd see. I don't think, but this is what happens when we elect bad people in the office.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you horrible, horrible people.
Speaker 1: About independent journalists and meet people making moves. I wanted to make sure that I gave a shout out to the twenty biggest money getters in podcasting. Something we do we do with you guys. Thank you guys for listening.
Speaker 2: We are not in the top twenty of funded podcasts.
Speaker 1: Well, God has plans for me. And I don't know about the mighty the mighty God that you serve, but the mighty God I serve has some plans for us.
Speaker 2: Man's paid the highest paid. Our dear brother Leonard is on here.
Speaker 3: It's great represent.
Speaker 1: Oh, shout out to Leonard McKelvey for also getting a Hollywood Walk of starring.
Speaker 3: A Hollywood Walker star.
Speaker 1: It is a Walk of Start star war Hollywood, Hollywood. Man, that's just so far from South Carolina. Man, I'm just happy we going to Hollywood.
Speaker 4: What is it called.
Speaker 3: It's a star on my fame, right.
Speaker 1: It's a star on the Hollywood Boulevard Walk of.
Speaker 2: Walk of Fame.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are you going?
Speaker 3: I promise I believe that you might have ingesticed marijuana this today. I can't figure this out.
Speaker 1: I'll be moving a lot slower. I'm actually in a really good movement. My brain has been clicking.
Speaker 3: Is it the hot yoga?
Speaker 2: Did the hot yoga by your brain cells?
Speaker 1: The hot yoga got me going crazy? But listen, Joe Budden is number fifteen with twenty million dollars in Charlemagne to God is number ten with twenty seven million. Let me hold something. But I'm proud of them. The thing that I wanted to talk to you about, Angelaurai, before we get into our topic for the day, is that notably missing from these twenty individuals, where there were no black women, there were white women. There were some some a bunch of white men, some black memory.
Speaker 3: Of our lives, I know, but like how it is the story of our lives?
Speaker 1: How do we fix that? What does that look like in this space? Because you are somebody who who owns two executive producers, who hosts, who does all these things, I'm just I'm just a handsome face, and so I'm trying to figure out how you tell it? What can we how do we how do we improve this space for black folks and black women in particular.
Speaker 3: I have no idea, Actually, I'm just being honest. I texted Leonard and asked him to send something in for what should happen. And the reason for that is I think the people on the list have to create space. I think Lenard does a really good job of that. For example, with Black Effect, he found it and was like, the first person he's going to get is Dolly, and Dolly has been killing it as leading Black Effect. The Mental Wealth Alliance is now led by Debbie Brown. Leonard doesn't just put on his sister friends. He also made sure that he creates space in the in the places where he has kind of the power of and the real estate to ensure that folks have a voice and a platform. I don't know what would have to shift. If we covered gossip and bs, we would probably be closer to the top. If it was like, you know, all the fun and skipping and skating and eating candy, we would probably be fine. But I think it's hard in this environment right now to be talking politics when people would rather just bury their heads in the sand to avoid it. I also think that this is representative of a larger issue in industries across the globe. Black women are underrepresented, even if they are hyper educated, hyper prepared. The wind beneath the wings of many exits many a mini exec whether in the C suite or you know, as the chief of staff or in other spaces.
Speaker 2: So I would love to know the answer, but I don't have it. I raised more questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah you did. You know what, There's always going to be hope for tomorrow. I believe, truly believe that people like yourself and many others, the carry champions of Jamial Hills, the people who we know are really really talented. The young lady on higher learning who's really dope, Rachel, Rachel. You know, maybe the list will change and expand, and maybe you guys will be up there with a fat two in front of the number or three in front of the number one day, maybe be number one on the list.
Speaker 7: With that.
Speaker 3: Did you say that we were talking about the election results in the rundown. Yeah, that's what we're doing next. All right, everyone, Well, we got to talk election results in Missouri and Michigan and lots of other politics in the country right now, particularly the device. We talked about the verses earlier in the show. Oh, you're right, you did talk about this. We talked about versus just briefly. But joining us now to talk about these elections results in some of the progress of the Working Families Party is Maurice Mitchell. He is the national director, My brother. We fight every now and and about this, but we mostly aligned. We mostly aligned.
Speaker 12: We know we have that nine point nine nine percent a line.
Speaker 3: Well I got one for you today.
Speaker 2: You might not nine nine nine on this we go see.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question. Let me ask you a question before we get into it. Can you just explain to people the difference between or what what are the some of the discerning differences or whether or not they're differences without a distinction between Democrats, Working Family and DSA, because I'm gone, Yeah, I've gone through a ballot before and I've seen Democrats and people be on the Democratic line and the Working Families line, and you see that in certain places.
Speaker 12: Okay, so yes, all right, So the Working Families Party we're a grassroots political party where a third party that was started almost thirty years ago in New York State, and we've spread and we operate now in twenty states. And you know, you all know that elections don't happen nationally. Elections happen state by state by state, so election law is very different in each state. There's something called fusion voting that is as old as like, I mean, this country, right, there were a lot of different fusion parties, and there was a lot of like minor parties throughout our history, and over time we developed into this very rigid duopoly where it's just Democrat and Republican. But there's a few places where fusion is still on the ballot that allows for minor parties to actually like have life right where you could cross endorse the candidate of another party and kind of fuse together. New York is one of those places. South Carolina was one of those places until very recently.
Speaker 1: Voting unfortunate Republicans took a hatchet to it. Yep, yep.
Speaker 12: We were fusion legal as a party in South Carolina until that happened. Eticutte is another one of those places in Oregon. But outside of that, we do a lot of other things in order to do the type of policies that we do. And what we believe is that everyday, working people should be able to govern, and you shouldn't There shouldn't be a high bar of entry like your connection to big money or you know, you kissing a ring or whatever. If you believe that you have a desire for public service, we believe as a working person, you should be there. Most people in Congress are millionaires that have law degrees. We think that that's a problem is so we try to solve that mainly by on the hyper local level recruiting just everyday people, educators, organizers so they could run in a lot of like un sexy seats like school board and city council. And eventually we build these pipelines so we can have days like we had yesterday where we endorsed and supported people that we've known for a while so that they could represent us in the federal government. That is the working family.
Speaker 1: We are were going to talk about your and family, city council, city council. Uh, okay, but let's start. Let's in may Orio. Now, we were gonna get to that, but let's let's let's start it. Let's start in Missouri. There were elections this week in Missouri. Uh, and I wanted to run down those elections. Those matter. Everything comes down to what's going to happen in November. But you got to get through the primaries first.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Missouri was an amazing place. Our good friend and mentor and uncle and godfather and somebody that angela Roid loves and adoores none other than Emmanuel Cleaver. He was uncontested. Thank god, we send him back. We need good sound voices. But the race is stuck up.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, let me make sure we're clear about what's happening with mister Clever. And I wish we had this headline, but I didn't send it over. Mister Cleaver in the Democratic primary is fine. They have redrawn this district, went to the Missouri Supreme Court. They kept this like radical Republican nasty bs. He's running against in Trump and a governor endorsed Republican, and he is going to be in the race for his life. This is a member, he's not a Working Families Party member, but he is absolutely a progressive and is a member of the Progressive Caucus and all of that. And I think what is so deeply tragic about with mister Cleaver is experiencing is This is a man who is the co chair of the Civility Caucus in Congress, and civility completely went out the window with these biggots. Said that he's having to run against So State Senator Rick Bratton is who won the GOP primary yesterday, and it's going to be a highly contested race. And I resent that, like this is, you know, an elder We're born on the same day. This is my CBC chair boss. You know, he is an incredible soul and he shouldn't be having to run like this at this point, all because they wanted to redraw maps unfairly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point where I'm glad you brought that up. The race I wanted to the race that kind of got the headlines because that one did not necessarily get the headlines. Was uh, you had Bush versus Bail part two. You had Corey Bush running for real, running to get elected again after her get her seat back, you get her seat back from Wesley Bell. Wesley Bell handily won that race. Talk about that a little bit, guess sure, sure? I mean from the standpoint of the Working Families Party that that's heartbreaking to me. I know, I know, Corey, I was an activist on the ground in Ferguson and have a deep connection with Saint Louis that community, a lot of the folks that have continued to organize over a decade after that moment, and she's one of them, and we were we were all really proud of the fact that she went from the protest lines into into a seat in Congress. And there's just you know, there is a conversation that we need to have about how threatening to this country, uh, black independent voices are, especially Black women. And you know, it's not a coincidence that Apak and other forces tried to make an example out of her and tried to make example out of Jamal Bowman and spent ungodly amounts of money in order to cleave her off of her seat. And it's an unfortunate thing that happened. And she was outspent this time twenty to one. Right, she was outspent twenty to one. There's a lot of organizing happening there. There's a lot of infrastructure building happening there.
Speaker 12: But you know, the people, the people can people power can prevail over money power. But it's hard, it's really really hard, especially when you're being outspent twenty to one. Incumbascy is really powerful no matter who the incumbent is, and she no longer had the power of incumbency, so we already we already knew it was going to be an uphill battle, and unfortunately we weren't able to get to the victory that we wanted to restore where we believe she's right rightfully should be in that seat, you know, but you know, whatever she's doing following this, we're going to be riding with her. And I could just say on behalf of the Working Families Party, we're committed to building that infrastructure, working with people organization like Action Saint Louis in order to build the independent black political infrastructure so that you know, interest like APAC or AI or Crypto can't decide for the residents who should be representing them.
Speaker 1: I just think that it's also kind of indicative of the interesting ways in which black political power has diversified, because you look at somebody like Wesley Bell, and Wesley Bell we just talked about her in the last segment though, when you talk about black women had to support a Jasmine Crockett, right, and so when we're when we're sitting here and having this conversation about.
Speaker 12: Wait, I was unclear that was a little like fuzzy. I was unclear if if she had endorsed him or not.
Speaker 3: I thought at some point she said she says she did not endorse him. But the reality of it is she spoke very complimentary of him at a campaign event, and so her work. She's from Saint Louis. That goes a long way. I think the reality of what we know about Wesley Bell is he's a little tricky. He won his city attorney's race saying that he was going to prosecute Michael Brown's killers, and then when he got in that seat, I know you do, but maybe the audience doesn't.
Speaker 2: When he got in that seat, he renigged.
Speaker 3: He told Corey Bush on a hot mic, on a recorded conversation, he was not going to run against Corey Blight.
Speaker 2: And he ran so for me.
Speaker 3: I don't trust no motherfucker that's talking out of both sides of a mouth. I'm just not gonna do it. Remember to bleep my mf y'all. But that's how I feel about him. Apparently, I'm going to see him in Tunica this weekend. We'll keep it pushing. We don't have anything to say to each other. Booth.
Speaker 1: Next, well, let's go to Michigan. And Michigan had some more very very very interesting election results last night. I guess everybody we all good in Missouri because I just wanted to make sure. That's why we started to quote Missouri before we get down to the meat of the conversation in Michigan. I wanted to start because there's something that's happening in our country, waitebe.
Speaker 3: I do have one the other thing. We looked at early returns for Corey's race. The numbers were significantly worse at the end of the matter. Now she's attained over fifty something thousand votes to his. I think it was seventy eighty three thousand to her fifty two thousand. Those are not all out, all in all discouraging to me. I do hope that Corey runs for something may or whatever and continues to build the ground game. She is such an incredible force and voice, and we really need her. I'm sorry, but I did just want to shout out.
Speaker 12: The numbers absolutely and you know, like I said before, whatever she's doing, I know that she'll be committed to this movement because I mean she said this, It was never about a position for her. It was always about the people. And she's going to continue to be about the people, and I'm going to continue to stand by her and support her as she does the work.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Michigan real quick, because there's something that's happening in this country that a lot of people probably miss And this is where I wanted to start in Michigan if we can pull up those results, Nick, last night, you saw Jocelyn Benson, who is the Secretary of State, win, but you also saw in a competitive race on the other side, you saw John James, who is a weird fella in his own right, wins. So weird he's just I mean, he's when I like, if there is a definition of weird in the dictionary, there will be a picture of him. And I'm not using it trying to be derogatory. I just don't have it. He's always off cadence. Have you ever met somebody that just kind of is always off cadence? But he beat a billionaire last night. One of the things I wanted to talk to you all about is we got a lot of black folk particularly black men and Keisha Lance Bottoms who are running for governor right now. You got John James, you got Jermaine Johnson, you got Keisha Lance Bottoms, you got Aaron Ford, you got Byron Donald's. You literally have a lot, and Wes Moore running for reelection. I mean, is this worth noting or do we just keep pushing on, pushing on and not necessarily recognize the kind of historical nuances right there.
Speaker 12: You know, forgive me for having a lot of skepticism about the elevation of black folks in Republican politics as being.
Speaker 1: With you, we know how to get there. It's the easiest lane.
Speaker 3: It sounds about white, you know.
Speaker 12: I mean, I just look, this is something that that I've said, right, and this is something that I think all black people have experienced. And it's just like our experience in this country. When you serve the dominant culture, you are their friend. When you step out, you are their enemy. And so when you see black conservatives, you know, with jobs as pundits on TV, or you see them running for governor or running for mayor, it's because it serves the political interest of that movement. It isn't necessarily indication of you know, the merit of that person. And you know, we talk about the racism that happens inside the Democratic Party, and I would say a lot of that happens actually inside the Democratic Party where you know, you have you know, I saw it with Stacy Abrams, who man, she was raising money for not just herself, but I mean the entire Democratic Party infrastructure when her star was was really bright. And then I saw how quickly they reprioritized how much they wanted to embrace her when they no longer could could extract from him, you know. And so there's an independent black political conversation that we need to have as black folks. And you know, so I have a lot of skepticism when I see them elevating people of color, like listen, not all skim folk or kim folk, and listen like I'm by here simply to you know, like be excited about like black faces and high places, Like what how are you delivering on the black political agenda? Full stop? Whoever you are, whatever your racial.
Speaker 3: I wanted to hate that phrase because that god damn Jill Stein caught me a black face and a high place. Let's blessed keep.
Speaker 1: Show up for four years she show.
Speaker 3: Up for.
Speaker 2: Every time I hear that, I've you mad.
Speaker 1: I do want to talk about one of the races that we all probably agreed on last night in the Democratic primaries, where we probably found some alliance here was Donovan mckinnley. Yeah, because I am somebody who firmly but that the city of Detroit needed black representation. I mean, and that is just that is just purely on its face, what they needed, what they deserved. It's the blackest city in the entire country and for far too long did not have any black representation. But I do believe I am very proud of Donovan McKinny last night, who actually is a DSA guy.
Speaker 12: So I'm going to regre with you guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go. Who beat and I cannot pronounce his last name, so Angela, I'm gonna let you talk.
Speaker 3: About it is weird, he'd beat weird and so we can just go on from here. This man has not showed up for Michigan Arey voters. This is a suburb of Detroit, a seat that was formerly held by Hanson Clark and then Brenda Lawrence and Brenda Laurence. To CBC members, who I had a great relationship with so I am elated to welcome a CBC member back into a place is representing going to the blackest cities in America.
Speaker 1: Tree is only known for filing impeachment resolutions. Half the time, the Caucus didn't even want it. So that's something that's something amazing that happened. And I wanted to comment real quick before we get to the Senate race. I did want to comment on Uh. There was a young a young man last night named Amir Hassan. I don't know if y'all know Amir Hassan, but Amir Hassan is a black Republican who ran for Michigan eight. Last night. I think we have a clip from Amir Hassan. Can we play that clip from? This is a mir? I ain't gonna talk too much shit. He looked like he might be able to pluck me up.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning, everybody. I fell short last night. I make no excuse. It was a tough race. But over the last year I've had some incredible dealings with people across the entire district. I've learned the issues that we are going through and are facing, and it's just strengthened my resolve.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm confused. I saw he won.
Speaker 1: Amir Hassan got beat by somebody who dropped out the race.
Speaker 2: I thought that he was the one that dropped out.
Speaker 1: No, no, he did not.
Speaker 2: So what's the difference between Amir and John James?
Speaker 3: A mirror?
Speaker 1: One one and one didn't. But both of them were of a mirror. But I don't know. I don't know exactly what happened, But for some reason.
Speaker 3: They figured out a mirror is actually a Democrat who's operations. Because what's wrong with the bere versus John Jay John jas How are you you know what it is that no facial hair for these negroes on the side.
Speaker 2: Think about it?
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, hold on, I might be honest, sum, Who you know this Republican elected with facial hair is black?
Speaker 2: Think about it?
Speaker 1: Byron Donald's has facial hair. Yeah, but elector right now, he might he's in Congress.
Speaker 3: He might be, that's true, but he might be he might lose his movementatorial race. I won't think about it, might be honest, Sum, Yeah.
Speaker 12: But there's also there's also a conservative hairline, you know conservative Because to.
Speaker 1: Your moment, I think I think you're more on point than she is with that, because because.
Speaker 12: If you don't have a widow speaker, you're not in the company of black people. You're not concerned whether or not black women find you attractive. You are living in a world where your hairline is not a priority for you, and that says a lot. I think that is an indicator of where you are culturally and where you might be politically.
Speaker 2: Only less less of a priority to that is snap benefits.
Speaker 1: I think I think you are right, But last night I do want you to know that A mir was the only person on the ballot the black Republican in Michigan, in Michigan eight. I'm just being messy now.
Speaker 2: I want to find out.
Speaker 1: He's been on stage, a mirror, a sign, on stage with the president and everything. Last night you could take your victory lap Mo. I want you to take your victory lap because last night what we saw was a dual outside who I actually know really well from CNN. Days after he got beat in his run for governor, actually became a CNN commentator for a little while and was really big on the healthcare front. That was his main, his number one priority and initiative. He Although Angela gets mad at me for being this petty. However, although he put out polls, internal polls that had him up fourteen percent, thirteen percent or whatever, he won last night by a percentage that I believe just before we came on air, they Hailey Stevens actually called it and called him and conceded the race.
Speaker 3: I just want to say this, I can't believe that the topic that you want to bring up is an internal poll.
Speaker 2: Everybody's internal poser.
Speaker 1: I mean no, I mean I got a larger thing. No, no, no, I just want you to te y off. I want you to go ahead because I got some questions. Go ahead, I got some questions. I got a question. I got a question.
Speaker 2: Well let me answer your questions to know.
Speaker 1: First of all, mogus to take a this is a huge victory, so we'll take his victory lap first.
Speaker 3: You don't want to burn you yet, go ahead.
Speaker 12: Let me talk my shit.
Speaker 4: This is so.
Speaker 12: This is a working Families Party sweep. And look, a few months ago, there wasn't anybody talking about these races like there were an inevitability or even a possibility. And our three endorsed congressional candidates Will Lawrence Donovan McKinney and Abdula Sayid are going to go be on the ballot in November. And what I want to say about that is, I just think it's a reflection of where most people are at. People are tired of status quo politics and they're looking for something different. And look, whatever you want to say about the spread or internal polls, he won. And he won against seventy million dollars an unprecedented amount of outside money spent against him in negative as, many of which were ridiculous bad fa ads, right, in order to frame him as somebody that he isn't like. You actually know him, So, I mean, I think you could attest to the fact that some of the framing was ludicrous. I know him as well, Like the idea that he's like disrespectful to women and like doesn't like Michelle Obama. It's just like, yeah, I understand.
Speaker 1: And he actually came through at the end, contrary to some of my people who I'm not fond of, but he came through at the end in twenty twenty four and actually sent a letter out to all of his supporters asking them to go out and vote for Kamala Harris Oh. He immediately endorsed, right I mean, so it's this is my this is my question.
Speaker 3: No, you don't get to go yet, because I'm gonna scorch you.
Speaker 1: Now I get a chance to ask the question to scorch, but go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, no, but because I want to scorch the last point. So here's the thing that I think is really important. He spent under three million dollars on this race. This is a man that campaigned on Medicare for all and keeping money out of politics.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite thing is there has been some challenges with the black community.
Speaker 3: I think that they could have done a better job reaching out, tapping in for full disclosure. Our friend Garland Gilchris connected me to him last week. We were not able to talk, but I wanted him to do the show last Tuesday, and you know, we were going back and forth after that because my travel schedule was so nuts. I do congratulate him, but I do think there's still some inroads that need to be made, not only leading up to November, but throughout. He should be hiring black staff. He should make sure that he's talking to black leaders. They shouldn't feel like they haven't been heard. We don't want to run that same kind of Mamdani narrative here, especially when we know it's easy to dispel. All you have to do with our folks is talk to us. You should be spending with us too, but let's start with talking. I do want to run this clip because this actually really endeared me to Abdul, and then you'll question b Okay here right.
Speaker 13: Now live from Michigan. You know I mean with the Obdul, you know what I'm saying. SAYI I said that right right, sayah, so the folks is mispronouncing it, saya. But I'm here specifically to ask the question I said to somebody, man, I'm about to go to Michigan and campaign.
Speaker 1: They say you got a problem with black people, bro.
Speaker 13: So my question specifically is what is your plan for black people here in the gray slate of Michigan.
Speaker 1: I'mnnast you to mic and listen. Be real, bro, I.
Speaker 14: Don't do anything about be real, you got. My commitment to our black communities didn't start because I wanted to come and take a photo off. It started when I left my tenure track job at a Ivy League school to come back to rebuild the health department in the city in the city Detroit, which is the largest majority of black city in the country. And I came because I remember Post nine to eleven. I had a teacher who told me, Hey, you need to read your history. And he's like, you gotta go read Alex Haley, you gotta read WB de Boys, you gotta read James Baldwin. You got to read Sojernal Truth and Frederick Douglass. You got to read doctor Martin Luther King. You gotta read the stuff that he actually wrote.
Speaker 3: Malcolm X.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I learned.
Speaker 14: I learned what it meant to be a person of color reading black folk and the civil rights struggle. And I understand that my responsibility is about trying to address racial inequities. All my work is about racial equities and health, whether it's the maternal infant mortality crisis, it's protecting kids from asthma, taking on polluters, putting glasses on kids' faces, eliminating medical debt. Now you know, there's been nearly eighty million dollars spent against me, telling lies about an endorsement that my opponent didn't get, or using an op ed that I wrote about a program that First Lady Michelle Obama sponsored, saying it was a good program, but here's some things that could be better, arguing that somehow I'm disrespectful to people, but.
Speaker 1: Look, lies have a way of working.
Speaker 14: But I think the truth is more important. So what I'll tell you is this. I'm an Egyptian, so I take my African heritage seriously. And if I want to teach my daughters about our history, you know, I take them Charles a trite museum right about to the museum too, That's right, it's the best Egyptian antiquities exhibit in the Midwest. And so I also know that my dad doesn't get to move from e Jept to butt for the incredible contributions of the civil rights movement in passing the immigration oct To nineteen sixty five. So a lot of what I'd say is, you know, they said past his prolog if you want to know somebody could do, figure out what they've done. So my commitment is to continue to lead in ways that empower black folks.
Speaker 3: Y'all go look at a conscious leader. To watch the rest of that cliped. But when I saw that, I was like, okay, Like it felt very different from some of what I was hearing. Also, Bonnie Watson Caleman endorsing him is persuasive to me because I adore her and definitely trust her instincts. I didn't get a chance to talk to him, but I do have a chance to congratulate him now on his victory.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to correct one quick thing for the record that he actually outraised Stevens and Mike Rodgers. He raised fourteen and a half million. However, to your point, Mo, he was outspent hell of money from outside influences to the tune of sixty to eighty million dollars. But in terms of individual fundraising, he outraised everybody who was running. My biggest, my big beef, it's not even a beef. My biggest concern, and I'm throwing on the blinkers of concern here, is that we get really excited about primary victories and we go out and we begin to build narratives that the electorate has changed. And when I talk about pluralities versus majorities, I want people to fully understand how close this race for us. And the reason is this. He got destroyed by black voters, particularly in the city of Detroit, Wayne County. That's why the race was close. He got destroyed in rural communities he did extremely well, where many of the individuals who are DSA candidates do well in suburban communities, affluent communities and white suburban communities. We've seen this pattern play out over and over and over, and so the challenge is where my things are blinking, is like, look, these races, particularly in Wisconsin, Wisconson and the words of the great American poetry Pain and Michigan, are so utterly import in November that now we have to put everything that happened behind us, and there has to be real work done to figure out the messaging that is going to permeate these communities of color, because outside of the Pacific Northwest where Seattle is and the Upper Northeast, we have not seen this resonate outside of a few exceptions, and that is my biggest concern.
Speaker 12: Can I speak on this please, Yeah, because I fundamentally believe in the politics of winning. I care very much, that's right, I know, yeah, yeah, very much about general election outcomes because we're here to govern, We're not just here to put up numbers, right, And so I take this, actually take this seriously, and I do think that there needs to be some like really rigorous conversations about like what is a majoritarian sort of framework so that we could get everybody voting in our direction, right, not just people who are self identified progressives or self identified democratic socialist or whatever. We know that self identified democratic socialist is not a majority of the elector right. We know that, and so absolutely our job is to be able to organize everyone. Also, there is a way that you engage in politics during a primary and then you pivot to a general election. And his campaign is going to do that. And I think all of these like concerns are valid, but also there is a natural way that you're going to have to pivot. The thing I will say though, is that there are a lot of examples, not in the COMMI corridors of major US cities, but in places like Bakersfield where you know where we have a candidate Randy Vegas, who is a working class Latino candidate who is a young person who's not taking corporate pac money. He's going to be a competitive candidate in a red to blue flip. Will Lawrence is another example. He's going to be a competitive candidate in a red to blue flip flip.
Speaker 1: There's enough. Brian Poindexter those's gonna be the Brian Poindexter matters because he's running against a very flawed Max Miller. But we were also looking at Scranton, We're looking at Harrisburg. I mean, we're looking at these places that are very, very important. And my my only it's not even an admonition, My only sobering, you know, in a day of celebration like today, for many of my my friends who are further left than I, my sobering reality is like, okay, cool, we gotta win now, Like, yes, we gotta win. And that's why Hayley Stevens, to her credit, was so important today because she was like, look, I lost, I'm hurt. We gotta beat Mike Rodgers. Because at the end of the day, what I tell people is that elections are binary choices. Right, who is better Abduel or Mike Rodgers. I don't think for many people that believe the same things we believe, that that's a choice. However, he ain't got to convince us. He has to get those black voters who voted for Haley Stevens to still come outside, because many of them are going to want to stay home, and he's going to have to go talk to those rule voters and those people. What's the county they call it the swing county is at Oakland County in Michigan that tends to go back and forth. I mean, he's going to have to do damage there and so congratulations, but let's get it.
Speaker 12: Listen, over the next thirteen weeks, there's a lot of work to be done. Let you know, do one victory like and get back to work one hundred percent. And I'll say this because I really want us to be precise when we say, like two left, I want to understand what are we talking about. Sometimes we're talking about vibes. Sometimes we're talking about like culturally where.
Speaker 3: They can give you an example the vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, canceling Thanksgiving mom, But go ahead, well again.
Speaker 3: I told Bakari yesterday, we call our something different too in my family, but you know, we cancel the intention behind Thanksgiving for certain.
Speaker 1: Nobody knows.
Speaker 3: I am going to use the example of our Seattle mayor. And the reason for that is yet again, yet again, she has found herself being called up for a recall. This woman beat a black mayor whose politics are mostly aligned, but he wanted to keep the police force.
Speaker 2: She kept the police Chief.
Speaker 3: She threatened to fire Black Chief Shawn Barnes several times over and over again. She decides that she wants to fire Sewan Barnes, this time right on the other side of a mass shooting at the Bite of Seattle while there's a murder investigation that's open. Seawan Barnes is at the National Organization for Black Law Enforcement at the time this crisis happens, and no less, she decides this is finally her window to fire him, since she wanted to do it before FIFA et cetera. By the way, nick, I don't know if we have any of the headlines. My family organizes around trying to make sure she knows that she can't fire him. We get black leaders in to see her. The day that she's supposed to fire him, she postpones it several hours.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Her initial offer was a twenty five thousand dollars severance package to this man. Because of the pressure applied, he ended up with seven hundred ninety thousand dollars of taxpayers money, no job, and he got to pick his replacement, who is Deputy Chief andre I can't think of Andrea's last name right now. Sometimes you can be too left to know anything. You could be too right to know anything. Sometimes you can be too in the middle to know anything.
Speaker 12: That's confident ideology.
Speaker 3: I agree with that, but also some of what she stands on ten toes down is ideology that some people have actually put deep thought into implementation, and she's not done that. She has targed there are people who are very progressive who don't represent the best interest of black folks. Know what the conservative you know paradigm is. It's awful, but she's one of them. She has targeted black people. You don't fire people on maternity leave. That certainly violates the standards that working family stands for. And I just I want there to be something for y'all where you can go back and say this was a mistake for us. This is not someone who represents our values. I'm a black man at the top of this amazing entity, and she would fucking fire you, mo like that's what we're dealing.
Speaker 2: I'm just being honest with you. There's there's one.
Speaker 3: There are two black people left in her administration and senior roles Duayne Chappelle and our fire chief Dwayne Chappelle's over education that is abysmal. There should if work is, if it's about working families and ensuring parody and access and equity, then that means you cannot turn your black. You're black, you can't turn your I'm just saying my dad started Connor shady Katie, and I'm right there with him, because it is it is impossible to under stand with this woman stands for beyond be like she is enjoying, being incompetent, enjoying line to the media. She is now being put on blast because she's firing.
Speaker 2: She fired the police chief.
Speaker 3: But she's the one that held up the press conference and told them they cannot have the press. The press conference that's out now, that's public testified under oath. She gotta go. Seventy five thousand is all it takes for a recall. But I'd love to hear y'all say this one we got wrong.
Speaker 12: Okay, this is what I will say, he might this is this is, this is what I will say.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 12: We endorse, folks, We endorse more than a thousand people right every single cycle, just like and just like the just like the Democratic Party or the Republican Party.
Speaker 3: Right, and.
Speaker 12: Once those endorsed candidates are governing, you have a thousand governing experiment experiments.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 12: What we do, and we do this a lot behind closed doors with our folks, is we do have accountability conversations with our people. We do have serious, like real deal like this is what we established, This is where we are, conversations that happen day in and day out because we really do care about governing. I can't speak to all of the details here, but the thing that I will say is that you know, healthy parties are also self correcting and also are transparent about about where we're going, where we're trying to go, and where the distance is between those two things. But what I will say is what you brought up I don't think fits within. The reason why I said what does two left mean?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 12: Is that you know, I hear a lot, especially I'm like on cable news, I hear all of this kind of like I don't know, redbaiting about like you know, communism and socialism. When you look at the candidates they're talking about like healthcare and child these majoritarian positions, I'm like, the things that they're running on are healthcare, out care, jobs like uh, taxing billionaires, all majoritarian positions. Where are the left, positions that are too left for the mainstream right.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that I struggle with, abolishing the police, putting people in positions that don't have experience, because you don't you want to.
Speaker 1: Destroy that when we start talking to talking about abolishing the police as one example throughout the South, the South, because what what my mom will tell you is that my mom does not want to abolish the police. She wants better.
Speaker 12: Wait, let's let's talk about that. Their very there are very very few to none sitting elected officials or candidates of all stripes who actually are running on abolishing.
Speaker 1: The Francesca Hung is about to be the Democratic nominee for Wisconsin governor.
Speaker 12: And she's not She's not, by the way, like Francisca Hang is not running on abolishing the police.
Speaker 1: In fact, it's I mean when asked Don Piker asked her and she said yes.
Speaker 3: And Katie Wilson shady, Katie also has past comments where she talked about abolishing the Seattle Police Department.
Speaker 2: So to me, I'm just saying, and that was just.
Speaker 1: My biggest issue is that it is where.
Speaker 3: Black people have an issue around that's not safe for us, especially when yes, homicide rates are going down and crime rates are going down, but we want to make sure that it stays that way. So can we have, you know, a better way of interacting. We also know these police departments ain't super safe for us either, so they need to be challenged out accountall, et cetera.
Speaker 12: I got two words, Brandon Johnson, right, because yeah, yeah, I was wrong.
Speaker 1: I was wrong on.
Speaker 12: Good Love, because everybody was like red baiting about Brandon and about like public safety with Look in the history of the city of Chicago, you haven't had lower rates of violent crime, right. And he's engaged in a holistic approach to public safety where he puts investments where we know it works, and it's not just the one side fits all just spending on more police person.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: But let me just also say this though, this is this is the thing, that this is the this is what I want to articulate, Like, Brandon has done a great job, and I was wrong about Brandon, I'll admit that. But Brandon Scott, who doesn't come from the same political spectrum, has done Yeoman's work, right, Frank Scott. Frank Scott has done Yeoman's work. Randall Wolfing. Both of those individuals beat DSA guys have done great work. Andre Dickens. I like Andre. People people people have their own issues with Andre. So we don't have time to go down that path because I know you're ready to jump off and doing great on I think Andre's doing great. I love Andre.
Speaker 3: I want him to interface a little more at the community on public safety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean I think that you're seeing these people. I think, yeah, you're right, and I think that you're seeing these people. And I just wish that we what I what I want to while we're abolishing things and going down platforms. The only thing I would like to do is abolish litmus test. That's the only thing I would like to do. I mean, look like we we align around that. We don't have litmus tests at the WFP. Frankly, right, we don't. We don't do litmus test politics. We don't do that.
Speaker 12: We really try to approach things from the standpoint of like number one, how do we win? And number two like for real, for real, what are the policies that are actually going to prove improve the lives of working class people like in our lifetimes?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 12: And and look, I also think.
Speaker 3: That well, I want to be on the Seattle Endorsement Committee because this can't keep happening.
Speaker 12: It's just say less, say less. We could have a whole conversation around that.
Speaker 2: Right has got to go.
Speaker 3: Y'all going ad my other, my.
Speaker 12: Other, my other invitation is like we're an actual, like bottom up political party, Like I don't make the the endorsement decisions. If you have a problem with an endorsement decision, roll up your sleeves, get involved in the WP and and then you know, organize the w P to move in a different direction if you have a critique, that's my that is.
Speaker 3: Mind to be racist, Like I don't what I think? What is what bothers me? And I'm just being honest with you. I love you like you're somebody that's family to me. I don't want you having people representing a part of who you are and what you stand for that are so out of lockstep for that. Now that's something like I want to actually have a meet with them, Like how could y'all miss the mark this bad? Like it's no way MOA is gonna be on the side of fire and wholesale black folks, especially on maternity leave coming up with fake investigations like, I'm not with that. And by the way, maybe would break the news here. I think she's about to fire a deputy mayor who's also black, but forgot it along the way, Brian Surratt, So Hardy's looking for other jobs.
Speaker 2: This dude's got to be out on his.
Speaker 1: Ass nightly news report, right.
Speaker 15: City Council President, listen before we leave, and I want more to join us on this before we before we leave, because we got to pay bills to do everything else.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's do the call to action. Who cares about truth?
Speaker 12: When the last morning seen it?
Speaker 1: We talked a lot of politics today and there have been a lot of good things that happened. There's a lot of work to do. I want to start with you. Well, we spent about thirty seconds in telling people that your call to action, what you expect people to or want people to do from this point forward.
Speaker 12: M okay, Well, actually, I think black folks we need to start loving each other in public a lot more.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 12: And so I was this, this is something that just happened to be It's a small thing, these small things. This happened to me in Detroit. I was like out campaigning and this random brother was like, hey, bro, I like your fit, like you know, and we just had a moment and I was like, I appreciate you, bro, and I was like thank. It was like a lot of times like we as brothers, we don't like compliment each other. And he was like, well, he's like, I'm secure. A secure brother could compliment another brother. And we we engaged in this moment of appreciation and black love, and we just got to do a lot more of that. We got to love upon each other as black people in this world, and it really it costs nothing, costs very little, and so I just hope we could do more of that. That's a very easy lift for anybody to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah or usual, I am aligned with my brother.
Speaker 3: The thing that I was going to tap into for a call to action is I think you all can see here there's not much that Maurice and I disagree on. I disagree. A lot more would be by the way, but I think that there's a way to have conversations where iron sharpens iron and you don't cancel each other. Part of loving black people, part of loving people culturally, communally and in coalition, is about giving people the spaciousness to disagree and see how you can collectively get to yes, what do we agree on? Liberation for our people, which means liberation for all people. That means that we there is a road that we can walk down together, even if part of the way we arguing, But we're going and we're gonna get there. So I encourage you all to do the same. Stop to cancel people. It ain't cute. It ain't cute, and some of y'all ain't cute, and that's part of the reason why you spend so much time canceling folks.
Speaker 1: I was having a conversation with Chris Coons this morning, the United States Senator from Delaware, and he just reminded me that life is so unpredictable. That we were talking about a lot of things, and he was just saying along the same lines that he's been spending a lot of time with his family, his friends from high school, his friends from college. I encourage everybody to do that because when your time is nia, you will not know and you will not have time to prepare. So have your luggage ready to go. With that being said, thank you for joining another episode of the Native Land Podcast. We want to thank Maurice Thank you so much, brother, thank you.
Speaker 12: It's always good chopping it up with y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we got to take you on the road. Yeah we did.
Speaker 9: We did.
Speaker 12: It was like for real, And you know, I have so much to say about this whole discourse about like progresses versus black folks, and also like, look, the media needs to stop playing in the WFP's face. How about that, because like you know, this whole wave started in the winter in New Jersey, in the Sumburs in New Jersey with Ana Lila Mahia all the way through. Like, honestly, I feel like there is a plot to remove us from the discourse because WP is led multiple levels of led by people of color and black people, Like our Michigan chapter is led by a brother, Brandon, Brandon Snyder that built this amazing black organization Detroit Action is not building the WFP out there. I'm the national director of the WFP. It complicates the narrative when we're the ones who are building the infrastructure for insurgents.
Speaker 1: I want to I want to see that. I want to see it permeate throughout the South. But we stay, we got we gotta keep working. We'll be joined by journalist Janey Norman to unpack more evidence in the case of Nolan Wells and our mini pod. That's the eighteen year old who died on the fourth of July while voting with his all white friend group. We ain't letting that story die. Angela ROI will not let that story. We always let that brother and his family up. As always, we want to remind everyone to leave us a review and listen. Y'all gotta leave us a review so Angela Rai can make the top twenty podcasts in the world. Leave us a review and subscribe to Nata Lampod. We're available on all podcasts, platforms, and YouTube. You can follow us on social media and substack, or check out native lampod dot com. I am Bacari sellers along with my coldest Angela Rai. Welcome home, y'all, and to shake your blood just a little bit, there are eighty nine days left election. Welcome home to the Natives.
Speaker 16: Landing on the podcast space tests and for greatness, sixty minutes is so hit not too long for the great shit, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digest it. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it, so get invested. Across the t's and Doctor I kill them, got them ass sellers, staying on pennons A why you could have been in?
Speaker 1: Where would you trust us? Native lampod is the brand that you can trust. Native lampard is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Reis and Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.