Speaker 1: In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. Welcome back to another episode of In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams here on iHeartRadio, and I am super excited about this week's guests. We are on the heels of the WNBA expansion drafta just passed last week, so joining me this week for the show is General manager ohemma Ennen, head coach Natalie mccasse, and President of the Golden State Valkyries Jess Smith. Welcome to the show, ladies.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I love that personally. Have you all been enjoying New York City so far?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's been about twelve hours for me, but I love I love it here this time of year, right, the Christmas decorations are everywhere.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, it's cold.
Speaker 1: It's cold. Are you used to this? Right?
Speaker 4: I am, But I didn't realize the Cali sun is a thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And Natalie, what is what has it been like for you?
Speaker 2: Well, when we come here, we always have really good dinners, so I can't wait for our fifteenth dinner.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that all right, So I want to just dive right into things right now. What was the moment for each of you where you knew you wanted to be a part of the Golden State Valkyries organization.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the moment I knew, Can I say when they offered me? I think, you know, throughout the interview process, I got to meet a lot of really good people, and at every moment I was like, oh, like, I'm not leaving an organization of you know, five years of relationships for just anybody. And they did a really good job of making sure that real stakeholder that I would ever come into contact with was a part of the interview process, and that just made it kind of like an easy yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For me, it was really meeting with Joe and Peter, our owners. And Toohamma's point, there's so many talented people at Golden State. It's really apparent the minute you start meeting people that these are good people that want to do great things and then want to do that together. But the level up that you get from talking to Joe and Peter specifically and their passion for what they're building. They are relentless in winning, like it is they say that you hear it and things like this, but when you're in the room with them, you can tell how genuine that is. And for me, what I really appreciated about that is they are storied, successful human beings and everything they do, especially sports. And to sit down and see the curiosity they had with me about how to build women's sports and not necessarily to replicate what they've built with the Warriors, I thought was just astounding. And so to see how do we do this, but do it the way that these fans deserve and what they've been waiting for versus just trying to replicate what was done with the Warriors was the minute I knew this was going to be special.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean ditto the backside story. For me, when I was with the Clippers back in the day, I've always kind of low key dreamed to work for Golden State just because of all the history of the winning and multiple championships. Especially when Joe took over, it was like, gosh, I really want to I want to win some And then having conversation with Joe and then my final really decision was when Ohema called me and we literally had a great conversation and we met just a couple times before, Like we really weren't that close, but just our like quick dinners, her genuine feel of a person, like you have a sit down lunch or dinner with her, she makes you feel like her best friend. And so I think I knew like because of that, Caro, I was in really good hands.
Speaker 1: Just you've had a hand in helping launch sports teams before an Angel City FC. Are there any similarities between helping to launch you know, that team versus a WNBA expansion team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm real tired all the time, honest answer. I learned a ton with Angel City. I was so fortunate to be surrounded by that group of people that at that point in time was willing to build something that had never been done before, willing to take a mindset of it's not about can we sell four thousand tickets, it's can we build this to sell out games? And that mentality and understanding that the community shows up if you build something the right way was an incredible confidence to come into this group to build it with. But what I've really learned in women's sports and what the fans demand is that you are genuine right. You have to be very intentional about what you're building, how you're building it, who you're building it with, and they can sniff out if that's not real. And we have to be bold and we have to you know, be honest, you know, throughout this journey on what's hard and what's right, and that's what they want from us, and so you have to be vulnerable. And I've really just learned to be truthful with our fans and community and with that they show up tenfold, you know, and they're going to be with us on this journey, but they can trust that we want what they want and it's a really shared experience, which is really special.
Speaker 1: Oh, Emma, you mentioned the five years you spent with the New York Liberty, who recently won the w NBA Championship. What have you taken with you from your time with the New York Liberty under Jonathan Cole that you're going to bring with you to this organization.
Speaker 4: Relationships matter, I think very specifically, if you invest in these athletes, they'll invest in you. And investing in these athletes is not just with money, right, it's understanding who they are, where they came from, what they're trying to go to and how we can be, you know, active participants in a mutual journey. I would say somebody that I don't highlight a bunch is Kia Clark. She is a phenomenally phenomenal human who just always lended an ear to say, you know, you can do this better or you're doing an amazing job in this aspect. But just her gentle care was something that I am definitely going to bring over here as well. And then just understanding kind of what this organization is going to be in terms of the Golden Save Valkyries and having just be my partner in crime. Learning from Kia, I know that I'm in exceptional hands with Jess because they say the same things, they have the same demeanor. They're both really unapologetic about women in sports and.
Speaker 2: Like our platform.
Speaker 1: Natalie, you're coming from the two time w NBA Chance, two time.
Speaker 2: The Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: Aces, where you served as first here on the assistant head coach next to Becky Hammond. So what have you learned coaching those players and what sort of identity and team culture do you want to create with the Golden State Valkyries.
Speaker 2: I learned that they are crazy. No, I mean those two championships but the years I spent there, I mean, I'm never going to forget them. I always talked about Becky opening her heart and being you know, allowing everyone to be their authentic self. That the players did the same thing. Like there is so much genuine love amongst those players and myself and the staff, Like you know, it was very, very hard to leave. But what I'm going to take is just again We've been saying it over and over, the genuine care investing in people. I mean, that's really the key to success, just because understanding team chemistry is really huge in winning championships, So building that camaraderie, building that really competitive culture we've talked about, but also always staying connected.
Speaker 1: When I think about the Valkyries team name, I want to know where did this name originate? Jess, and were there any names that got left off the list that you can tell us?
Speaker 3: Are there any that you think would have been better? I'm going to put that back real quickly.
Speaker 2: I love the pressure of me.
Speaker 1: I love the team name and the colors and the identity that you all up bringing.
Speaker 3: But back to you, yeah, I was a journalism majors. It's not as I get that in I love that right. No, it was the first step of really listening to our fans. And so the San Francisco Chronicle, right after the team was announced, where the rights were given to this ownership group, ran a article that said what should the team name be? And this was not a drop down box circle C versus D. This was a write in name and twenty five percent one in four people wrote in the Belcrease so very candidly. That really put it on the radar from day one. There were a lot of things in the mix, but that one kept coming back to the top, and when you would read through, yes we do sometimes read the forums, you know, the different comments of how people identified with that. It was really beautiful to see the strength and femininity that they wanted it to bring under the Golden State brand that complemented the Warriors, but was uniquely its own right. So it just kept coming to the forefront and then we had the opportunity to make it what it is today, which as you see, we're not blueing gold. We really lean into that valkyrie violet. We want this color to be ours, even if you don't see our logo with it, and we can't be happier with how it's turned out in our fans response to it.
Speaker 1: Listen, I did see Steph Curry show up.
Speaker 3: To a game right in the player society.
Speaker 1: Here, so I definitely need some mercha. Oh him Back to you. You just completed the w NBA Expansion draft. Can you just talk about the approach to your strategy in drafting the eleven players that you selected.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was outside of hiring coach and a case. That was the number one thing on my mind, which was who were these athletes? We watched it a lot of film. We've all become experts in spreadsheets. That's like the running joke. Now I'm kind of hoping that I'll get more learning around it, but candidly that we knew probably top four five athletes that most likely would get protected. And so then the question was if they didn't protect player A or B, would they fit into coach and a Casse's system, yes or no? If yes, then why? If no, then why? And so we just did this whole ransom repeat. Come in, have a conversation, team by team, player by player, discuss, go watch film, come back, and we did that for a really long time. We had a lot of very passionate conversations because we wanted to make sure that we were battle tested when we were asked about why we picked player A or player C.
Speaker 2: And I think.
Speaker 4: This entire process showed us that number One, we care. Number two, we will do our homework to make sure that we're competitive not just on the court but amongst each other. And three, you know, constructive feedback is always going to be harsher from within them externally and.
Speaker 1: Happily for you. What did that collaboration look like on frapt Night.
Speaker 2: Our collaboration m hm, oh gosh, you're still sitting here. I was in the middle. I mean, we've been collaborating. I think the moment I got hired, we went for a celebration dinner, and the collaboration was real. It was fun. And what I noticed as I learned more and more from Jess and o'hemma and you know, valling in behind behind scenes, Kimberly, we all be great in our position. And I'm not talking great, I'm like saying the best. And I think when you're surrounded by greatness, like they motivate me even more.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: That's what I've started to learn, is like, yeah, we're collaborating, but we're pushing each other, and I think that's really good. What's going to set us apart from other organizations? Okay, I have.
Speaker 1: So many questions about the roster makeup. Seven of the eleven players are have international experience. Was that intentional to select players with that type of experience.
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't intentional. I would say, we really just looked at the athletes for who they are, and then it just happened to be seven out of eleven have international ties. What I will say is, you know, in uh, the different drafts that we had amongst ourselves, you know, some were post heavy, some were guard heavy, some were a mixture of the two. And so every day once we came up with like our this was this is what the Valkyries will look like, we then had to say, well, if nothing else happened, could we play basketball in the way that coach that wants to play? And so that's what kind of brought us back and forth. I love that we get to highlight these seven athletes that rain from a different country outside of the United States, because the globalization of this sport doesn't get talked about as much, and these athletes deserve to be put on this platform to be able to you know, shine and so I think, yeah, we're really excited about it.
Speaker 1: Jess. One of my favorite parts about the draft was just seeing all of the different people come together to introduce the players, whether it was Baron Davis eight forty, I think that you all did such a great job and bring in the community together. What ways do you plan to continue to engage the community and the fans and the Valkyrie's identity.
Speaker 3: Well, first, thank you for noticing you know that intentionality is really important to our entire team, right we have a lot of people, as coach Natalie mentioned, working behind the scenes to think about things like that and make sure we're representing the different people that are following what we do. And that's really the main piece, Like we want to think through what does this feel like for everybody as they're watching this and seeing our brand identified. It's important, right, Like how they see people show up that are wearing Valkyrie's gear and speaking on our behalf is a really big moment for us. So it's just about making sure we're growing that base. You know, we hope and we know obviously now that we have Michelle, we West, Dannie forty and barn As fans. You know, we want many other people to join what we're doing and be able to speak about it. But it was a bit moment for us for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I loved, like before launched the block parties and just getting the community actively engaged in getting excited about that.
Speaker 3: My three and five year old's first concert was pel Klani and I was like, Okay, this is who you are.
Speaker 2: You are the area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, So I think I nailed parenting that day. So if I've done nothing else, I expose them to the right folks.
Speaker 1: But there's this question to Natalie and Ohima. With WNBA free agency coming up, and of course the w NBAH draft where you all have the number five pick in each of the rounds, how do you prioritize the short term goals of the team and the roster versus the long swim team goals? Knowing that also another expansion draft will be coming in twenty twenty five for the twenty twenty six teams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mister Joe has said that we need to win the championship. He put a timeline by it and then made a joke during the expansion draft we could do it. Maybe we could do it in less time. So the goal is always to organically create a winning culture, and how we do that, we're kind of keeping close to the vest. But the Bay has been hungry for a w NBA team for a very long time, and the three of us are sitting here because we understand the assignment and we want to make sure that every day we're not leaving any stone unturned to put the best competitive group of women on court and also make the case that you should invest in women sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So my first conversation with Joe Laika, as you said, like we're winning in five years. That's the deal. That's what you sign up for. So right away, I mean I'm motivated, right, and so a lot I've been getting a lot of questions of like what does the first season look like for you? I want to win every game. I mean I don't want to go into the locker room and say hey to my players like yeah, maybe we'll win or yeah maybe we'll lose. No, Like, my mindset is going into every game preparing us to the best of our ability, and we want to win every game. And that's the mindset that I want our players to have. So to me, that success is when we prepare them and we go out there and compete and be battle tested like we've been talking about. That to me is success.
Speaker 1: When you look at the roster makeup of this group, how would you say it blends well with your coach and style.
Speaker 2: So if you watched all of these eleven players, like you can't take your eyes off the fact that they play so hungry, Like they are hungry. They play like their life depends on it. Like I can go down the line from Kayla to Kate Martin to Xander Lassini to Conde for those you know that you know haven't seen Conde play, But they play so hard and that's what you want, like from the from the jump to the end, and then their ability to space the floor and more importantly as you watch them even closer, they're high IQ like they have a very good high IQ. And I'm going to throw on this too high character like they're just really really great people.
Speaker 1: I throw this to all of you. What's been the most surprising or challenging part about being able to start up a new WNBA team from each of your perspectives and roles.
Speaker 3: I mean, for me, we talked about how much we all care about this. That's a weight right every day you wake up every day motivated, but with a specific timeline that on Friday, May sixteenth, Chase Center will be open. We will be playing the La sparks, our fans will be showing up, the world will be watching. What does that feel like? And that is such a privileged opportunity to have a chance to work towards something you truly believe is making this world a better place and representative of what these incredible athletes deserve and have deserved for a long time. And it's heavy because you want to get it right so much. So I think the opportunity and the difficulty is I think as any leader that manages anything can tell you like you just carry that with you, and you carry that stress that you can see and everybody around you with you as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say to Biggie back off of that, there is no blueprint. We're creating the blueprint, and so I think we're highly selective first and foremost of the people that we hire to bring into our organization. So don't ask me any hiring questions because I'm going to be.
Speaker 2: Very negative about that.
Speaker 4: And because there's no blueprint we want to make sure that how we're laying down the foundation of how other expansion teams can do it, not only in the w but also in any other sport. We collectively don't give each other grace, and we need to continue to do that in order to understand the heaviness that we elected to be a part of on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: Yes, you might think I'm a little sick in the head, but I love challenges. I kind of been taught since a young age to take more of the tough road. So I love challenges. I'm embracing it. I love proving people wrong. So for those of people who don't think that we can win in five years, like, please keep telling me that, because that's only going to add field my fire. So yeah, I'm excited, not more looking at the challenge.
Speaker 1: When you think about rounding out your coaching staff, what types of characteristics for who do you have in mind? I know that with a lot of the recent hires in the w NBA, a lot of organizations, I've been leaning towards college coaches or looking at the NBA for hiring. What is that process looking like for you right now?
Speaker 2: Like I just mentioned a little sick in head. Dallas was sick in the head, you know. No, I'm just being and self aware. Yeah. No, genuine people, that's from the top. Again, I've learned that from Becky Hammond. She gave me the opportunity. She opened her heart when I was in a very very tough time, you know, losing my dad, and she just opened her heart and her home to me. And so I feel that when you do that, you can get the best out of your players. So genuineness comes from the top. And then I think a little crazy, a little crazy, and then obviously just attention to detail and a constant learner. That's the keys for me.
Speaker 1: Are you close to finding some of those assistant coaches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We've been doing a lot of interviewing, which is the process. Like I think, having a long process and being thorough because again, I don't want to miss on this opportunity to get a great fit. Because I think the coaches, as much as they get along, we're going to be pouring into the players. So we're actually the full leaders of our team. You know, it's just not just me, it's just my whole coaching staff. So I want to pick the right people.
Speaker 1: Non basketball related question, what excites to you the most about just being in the Bay Area. Why should w NBA fans be excited?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's so representative of the culture in the Bay.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: The Bay is where everyone looks to what comes next in this world, right technology, innovation, how we treat people, representation, and so to have that vibe and when you're in the Bay, you know, we mentioned some of the great musical artists you know that are with us too. But there's a grit to the Bay that is undeniable. And there's a little bit of that side smirk that if you don't know about the Bay, you're going to know about the Bay. We might not be as big, but we're going to be as strong, right you might You're going to know who we are, you know, in a really big way. And so for me, I just I've lived in the b area on and off for almost twenty years now. It's home for me for sure. And I also personally love that we have roots in Oakland and San Francisco, you know, to be able to span both cities as well, it's super special.
Speaker 4: I'm on the East coast gurly, so this I'm still trying to figure it out. I think what I love is the passion people are just all in. To have twenty thousand people standing in line to get season tickets.
Speaker 1: Wow, congratulations.
Speaker 5: By the way, it's team and team, prior to myself hiring a head coach, prior to our athletes being announced, prior to playing a basketball game.
Speaker 4: That passion, you can't buy it. Like you there's no other place that is going to unapologetically, And I think the word that I'm looking for is authentically like be behind our team, and that just makes us want to work even harder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I would say invested. I was walking yesterday down the street to go grab coffee in San Francisco, and I was wearing my Vockeries, you know, hoodie because they hooked me up. So I'm down and a gentleman was hey hey. He's like, are you the coach of the Valkyeries And I'm like yeah, and he goes all right, like I'm right, So I kept walking. He goes hey, he goes, you got a game today?
Speaker 3: And I was like do I have a game?
Speaker 2: Because I was like, wait, do I have a game today? But no, I mean I just checked. I was like, holy crap, don't have a came but just investment, right, like, just invested the buy in. I mean it's already there. So I think that's what I'm really excited about.
Speaker 1: Looking ahead to the Aull Girl season, you open up against the Los Angeles Sparks on May sixteenth. We just talked about what's exciting about the Bay Area and twenty thousand fans season ticket holders as well. What excites you the most about just tipping off May sixteenth against a legacy team like the Sparks.
Speaker 4: I haven't thought about it, to be quite honest. I think there's a lot of work to be done, and that's okay. Like I I think as I get closer to it, you know, we we still have to put.
Speaker 2: Our full team together.
Speaker 4: We have free agency coming up, we have the collegiate draft coming up, and then we have training camp and the goal is to have the most competitive training camp. We want these athletes to be hungry, excited, and I would say probably like honored to be able to put on a Valkyrie's jersey, right Like, for the first time ever in a really long time. You get to put on a jersey that nobody else has put on. You get to have your first number there's so many firsts that are going to come along the way, and I think that we as a front office and the business team can like lean in on that.
Speaker 1: So now I have a hard question for you.
Speaker 2: Here we go, Here we go.
Speaker 1: Agency is coming up, and of course you all did not select a player from the Seattle Storm. However, has been reported that Jewel Lloyd requested a trade. Now, I know you're not gonna tell me your strategy here on the show.
Speaker 2: Right about that, let's start there.
Speaker 1: Kelsey Mitchell is also a player who says she's open to exploring free agency. True guard to you know, big.
Speaker 2: Names can play basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is anything going to be ruled off the table when it comes to those sort of players in free agency?
Speaker 4: We're open to all players, to be quite honest, like that, our non negotiables have stayed the same, and as coach Natalie described, we're looking for competitive individuals first and foremost, we want them to be connected. This is the first time everybody's gonna put on a jersey and go on right. To build versus to win. Building sometimes has a negative connotation that like, if you're in build mode, that means you're losing games. And we are going to change that mindset and that definition. So to answer your question without answering your question, stay dumned, you.
Speaker 1: Will be keeping on us on it. Jest for you. You all are expected to unveil your new practice facility sometime next year, and we've seen how important that is to attract free agents. Why is Golden State a place where athletes should look to play?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's my job is to make sure we can do as much as we can on the commercial side to support the atmosphere that Ohamma and coach Natalie want to build. So for us, you know, they can speak more to attracting the free agents, but for us, it's about making sure that we have elite facilities that our players can be their best selves in and making sure that it's representative of the brand that all of us have come to the table with a lot of work and thought behind, so that whether it's those players walking in, you know, somebody from the media walking in, somebody coming in for a youth clinic, that they feel what the valkyries are you know, inside Chase Center and inside Oakland as well.
Speaker 2: Well. I'd like to add, like when we have invest in you know, the resources like we've talked about like we also care about the longevity of their career. So Joe is not only like just having a facility. It's like the treatment rooms. It's a therapy, it's the mental therapy, it's everything. It's all the layers who's thinking about because we don't want just the players to just come in and have like a season, like we want them to make it their home. And I think that's what we're talking about intentionality with how we build things and.
Speaker 1: All that note, I want to thank you all for joining us this week on In Case you missed It with Christina Williams here on iHeartRadio. It's been such a pleasure and I'm looking forward to May sixteenth, but most importantly what you all do in free agency. Of course, thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I just want to thank jess Ohemma and Natalie again for stopping by to the show this week. Don't forget to rate, review and subscribe to the podcast, and we'll be back here next week on In Case you missed It with Christina Williams here on iHeartRadio. In Case you missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.